1.36/5
Based on 44 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a personal loan company?

Last updated: April 15, 2018

67 Lending Club Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 15, 2018

Awful experience. Very pushy to get steam cards and iTunes cards. He says, "Don’t tell anyone it’s for a loan." Bothered me all day while at work. Calling, calling, and calling. He tells me my loan was approved for 10,300 and nothing caked from ** and also **. So needless to say I fell for it and drained my account and know had to close my bank account and still never got the (loan I was approved for with confirmation number and all). It’s ok karma is a **. He will get his and all the people that write the reviews they all work for this Sam **.

Original review: April 15, 2018

After fully paying off my loan, they told credit agencies that I closed account. A statement saying “closed account” is not good on your credit report. I demanded that they correct that statement. I strongly dislike this Club. Each month I received an email about lowering my payments from $472 to $235. When I tried it once each time it lead to a bait and switch. For a new loan no reduction in payment but instead payment would increase (on a lower amount) by close to $150 to $170.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: April 12, 2018

I took a loan out in the amount of $6500 on November 17, 2017, of which I received a little over $6200, because of fees. From November 17, 2017 - April 9, 2018, less than 5 months I paid over $860 interest, this is with paying an extra $100 every month, last month paying an extra $500, and paying $5345 this month. This company does not reduce your monthly payment if you pay more at any time, you will still have to pay the monthly amount, even if you paid $5000 within the month. This company does not post payments the same business day, even if you make the payment at 8 AM, your payment will post the next business day, so if you pay off your loan on a Friday, the payment will reflect that you paid on the following Monday. Terrible, shady, the worst ever. Going back to One Main.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I received an ad in the mail about pre-approval for a loan and was looking to borrow a small loan basically due to timing of when I would need the loan rather than actual need of the money long-term. (Making a pre-owned vehicle purchase and had half the money saved and was going to borrow the other half to move up the purchase date of the vehicle.) Anyway, I did some recon online of the company, etc. and determined it was legit. I used the mail ad code and applied for a small loan and received confirmation I was approved for the loan but the rate was unbelievable - ~23.3%?!?

My credit is not the best but it's not terrible either. Well, I saw there was no penalty for early pay-off so I figured I would just proceed with the loan and pay it off early - right up until I got to the part where I am granting them limited POWER-OF-ATTORNEY over my BANK ACCOUNT. Um, no. Exited out of the application and will not go forward with it. I will just find a way to make the timing work on the next car purchase and pay cash like I have been! Read the fine print, people, before you borrow and make sure it's worth it.

Original review: March 19, 2018

This company is a joke. Poor communication and lies and more lies. Telling you things that are not true. Stringing you along for a loan just to say, "Sorry on our end we didn't do what needed to be done in the 30 days so we can't approve you." After turning in all required documents. Don't waste your time like I did.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lending Club?

Original review: March 17, 2018

My account has been plagued with defaults and charge-offs this year. I've been with them since 2009 but the defaults are out of control. It seems the "borrowers" have figured out how to scam the system and get loans with no intention of repaying them. I will NOT be investing any more money into Lending Club.

Original review: March 17, 2018

I would suggest you never invest through this company. Although they rate borrowers based on the information they provide, I honestly don't think they verify anything. I initially made an investment of $6,500 in two accounts. This has been almost 4 years now. Over that time period I have lost $227 in one account and $79 in the other. Don't believe the returns they advertise. They are still showing that I've made 4.04% and 2.33% but I don't know how they have arrived at that number when my account value is less than my original balance. I've tried investing in just A & B rated borrowers but they are written off after a short period of the loan. I just had one this week that was an A7 borrower who only made 4 payments and then a year later the account was written off. Once your money is invested, there is no way to get the balance back until the loans are paid in full. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: March 14, 2018

Avoid this lender!! Horrible business lending. I dealt with underwriter Somie ** and she was very slow to respond and asked me several questions that she already had the answer to. Very misleading process and much better lenders available. I was shocked that after advertising loans were funded the next day that I hadn’t even heard from her after 3 days of applying! I was funded by another company a day before I received any credible response from Lending Club. There are so many better commercial lenders. Stay away from Lending Club at all costs.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I stumbled upon the reviews for Lending Club today, and after reading all the negative reviews am convinced these were written by competing loan companies. I’ve had a loan now for 10 months with zero complaints. I applied for $12k with a FICO over 800 (It took some work!), but with less than a year of employment history at my current job and was approved within a few days. I only had to verify my bank account, and the money was there in less than a week. The loan terms are great and automatic payments have been hassle-free. When it has been a year since I applied I may think about taking out a second loan.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Like some others here, my dealing with Lending Club is as a lender. Initially, the returns were OK, now there are basically no returns... just defaults and charge offs. I have stopped adding money to my account and I transfer any payments resulting in cash to the self directed IRA custodian. That's where the story gets even better... not only are the Lending Club "returns" terrible, the IRA custodian charges $100 a year for IRA fees. Oh, it gets even better... if you transfer the money out of the custodial account, you get hit with yet another "transfer fee". I'm pretty much losing money all the way around with this "company". I can't wait to terminate my dealings with Lending Club. Just be warned that this outfit is just two shades shy of a scam.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

We got a letter saying we were "pre-qualified" and our payments would be about $100.00 less a month. We thought sounds good, so we submitted an online application. A while later they send an email asking for continued information, pay stubs, tax returns, drivers lic. We emailed all that to them. Next day they send another email, send employment verification signed letter, ok did that. OK so at this point we are figuring all is good and we got the loan. Next day we get a request for a signed title transfer, I downloaded it and got it all filled out and was going to send it out today, now we are thinking wow we got this. Awesome.

About midday I get a email from them saying they could not approve the loan due to our credit ratio. OK I know it is high, so why could you folks have not figured all that out before we sent in all of this paperwork over the last several days, and have been done with it, now they have all this info on us and what they do with it I wonder. But I never got to send in title transfer. Prequalified??? This company is not worth your time.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I do not recommend this company. They collected my personal information for a loan. I also have a great employment history, homeowner and good credit score. I received one email from Lending Club which said, "Watch your email for updates." No further communication from this company. After one week, I called Lending Club requesting an update. The representative from Lending Club said the loan processor was still trying to contact my employer to confirm my employment. I gave additional phone numbers for my employer who is one of the largest employers on the West Coast. No response or communication. After three weeks and several more follow up phone calls I concluded that the Lending Club performance was substandard and terminated my loan request with them. Based on my experience I do not recommend doing business with Lending Club.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

My dealings with Lending Club are as a lender. At first, the returns seemed pretty good, now are no better than a high-yield online savings account, which is FDIC insured and has very little risk. There are a high number of charged off loans in my account, some were rated "A" (Best), resulting in lost money. Supposedly the economy is good now, what will happen during a recession? I have stopped adding money to my account and I transfer any payments resulting in cash back into my source bank account as soon as I can. I can't wait to terminate my dealings with Lending Club.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I tried get loan with this company. Was started on weekend. Did paper say I got the loan. First he want to deposit to my account then I would have to give back deposit. Started then was stopped. I waited. Called today too. He had find my account. Since bad credit he want me open another bank account. I'm not wasting time with this company.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

You have so many problems with Lending Club! You cannot make two payments a month, split the payment equally. It takes an act of Congress to change your bank account. If you cannot change your loan payment date before the due date, pay in advance. Any changes require permission from Lending Club! Also note they take a lot of money up front from the loan amount, you do not get the entire amount. Interest is higher than most banks also.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

My partner had dental work done that wasn't covered by my dental insurance (Dental Dental - they suck too but that's another story). They use Lending Club to allow their patients to spread out the (expensive) payments for up to 12 months interest free. I was told by a representative on the phone that you could set up automatic recurring payments on their website. Searched hi and low but could not find the means to do this. Long story short, I missed a payment by a few days and they charged me almost $40 late fee. I paid the 2 months minus late fee and asked to remove late fee and again how the hell do you set up auto payments which I was told was possible. They refused to remove late fee and said, "No, we do not support auto recurring payments at this time." That's **. Avoid and find some other service.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I am a REAL person - I lend MY own money to people through Lending Club. It is NOT a scam, they do NOT ask you to buy gift cards or wire money. Seriously, doesn't anyone do their homework anymore? DO NOT GIVE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO! I don't care WHAT they say they have of your personal info. Lending Club is a legitimate business and I make legitimate money lending to people that pay interest on their loans. My only complaint is the amount of people that default on their loans... Meaning I lost my money. I am not happy with the rate of return at this time, but it is a risk that I chose to take.

Do I think they need to step up their screening process? HELL YES. Nobody wants to lose money. Regarding some of these other reviews where you think this is some kind of Indian scam... That's NOT LENDING CLUB. That is someone pretending to be them or some other well known company. Wake up and pay attention! If you went and purchased gift cards to give to someone you don't know because you think they are associated with a real company - then YOU are an IDIOT. Lending Club is a real company, a legitimate lending club if you will. I am one of the investors that lends MY money on these loans and hopefully I can make a little bit of extra money to help support me and my kids doing so. Good luck out there... But please pay attention to your personal information.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Took out a loan for about 5,000.00! They take $300.00 off the top before you see anything. My payment a month is $232.00 in which a $100.00 is straight interest! DO NOT TRUST THIS AT ALL!!! GREEDY, SATANIC, COMPANY! Numbers speak volumes! They are disadvantage bloodsuckers!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I had been making payments on time and accurately for several months. During the summer, when I was not employed I let the company know as well as when I returned to work. Recently, they have been calling several times a day every day. I tried to explain to them my payment plan which they refused while saying that I am refusing to pay and non-committal. I felt like I was being pressured and harassed to sign up for an automatic payment plan which I declined to do so. I felt she continued to harass me even though I explained several times what I was comfortably able to do.

Resolution response: Dec. 9, 2017

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I was approved for up to 30k. Applied for 18,000. Received message "Your loan has been approved and 100% funded". Next day "Your money is on its way". Then, "We made payments totaling $0 on your behalf to the accounts you listed. Keep in mind it can take up to four additional business days to receive..." So then it instructs me to click the Truth in Lending Disclosure, and GUESS WHAT? It goes to a link that says Adverse Action letter "We cannot approve your loan at this time" stating the reason as "Insufficient payments on current Lending Club account". I DON'T HAVE ONE.

So now on my online account profile it shows TWO application numbers, however still shows a Promissory Note and Loan Documents, and Still says my 18K loan has been ISSUED. Readers, I ASSURE YOU, nothing has been transferred to my account. I called customer service, and was told there is a "glitch in the system," and advised not to worry. Ha! The only thing I'm worried about at this point is my bank account being compromised. I will update if something changes in the next few days.

Updated on 12/07/2017: I posted first review too hastily. Money received. Entire process took 2.5 days. Only negative was origination fee ($900 for 18k loan) and the awful "glitches" with their electronic correspondence so far. I will update again if there are any adverse events; but so far so good!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

After receiving approximately 15 offers for a "pre-approved" personal loan, I applied for a loan on 11/18 to consolidate debt. I was sent an approval notice that day, and was asked for paystubs. Those were sent then I was asked for W-2. Then a few days later I was asked for my tax return. After providing all of the requested information, I was told that they could not verify the amount of income I claimed, though ALL of the documents proved the amount of income I claimed.

When I called to ask how they arrived at their number ($5000 less than I earn), the supervisor Emily said that the loan agent Pallar would not give her that information. I asked to speak to Pallar and was told that he (?) refused to speak to me and would not say how they arrived at their lowered figure. I have used this company before and never had a problem, but the fact that they have employees who can't read a W-2, paystub or tax return is troubling. They are refusing to give me any information and this needs to be rectified.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Terrible. Do not lend! You will lose your money. The company promises great returns but unqualified borrowers will default on you. They do not actually screen borrowers, they just accept their stated qualifications and income. I was very foolish to believe their posted reviews and projected income, and my loans (I have made thousands of loans with them) are universally losing money. Instead of being at the projected 8%, I am minus 3% and it will only get worse. Try the stock market, for as crazy as it is, it is safer because it takes longer for companies to default than for unqualified individuals!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

Lending Club approved my loan with under 10% apr. They then emailed me to say they had a system glitch and my loan had been deleted and I had to reapply. Of course the next offer was a 24% apr. Utterly annoyed as the process took a month with all the information they needed. Waste of time!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Paid first payment On Time via online banking. I have the receipt of payment - they Do acknowledge returning my online payment! Now they want a $50 Late for this ON Time payment!!! Rude customer service - lonnng hold and No help! Perfect scam for collecting fraudulent late fees!!! Buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

If I could give a one I would!!! Someone named Ronnie texted me saying I qualified for a $2000-5000 loan. I called! They already knew my banking info, my pin number and my security question answers! I told him I was not interested and he said that they had already deposited 1000 in to my account! I told I did not want this, I did not agree. How do I send it back! He told me to go to Walmart and send a MoneyGram to return the funds. I did this! I got to get gas and my card is locked out. Called my bank and they told me my account is overdrafted by $980 and I am responsible for paying this back but I was a victim of a scam! I heard Indians in the background talking and it was a cell phone which is why I told them I was not interested! Please listen to the people on the comments. Do not use this company, it is a scam!!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I have received probably 6 or more pre approved notices from Lending Club. I kept saying no but found myself in a life crisis and needing to debt consolidate to get relief. I have credit score in the mid to high 600s and never missed a payment on anything. And of course DENIED for stupid reasons, as they call themselves a debt consolidation and there to help when needed. If I didn't need the help I sure as heck would not be trying. If I had cash on hand and life was fine, I would not be trying. I wish I had the funds to hire an attorney and put a STOP to this kind of practices from and form of BANK period.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

They requested all this personal info to be uploaded and emailed to them including pay stubs, driver license, W2's, employers verification form, notarized title transfer, and my original title to be FedEx to them to send me an email three weeks later to tell me I was not approved & try again in 30 days. I asked a Representative a week prior, "Was I approved" and she told me, "Yes". The next step would be to sign my payment disclosure and she went over all my loan terms. They could have approved/declined me before I jumped through HOOPS to get them all my personal info. I requested a phone call from a manager by phone and email the day I was rejected and have yet to receive a response.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I had two loans with The Lending Club. Both accounts had monthly auto withdrawals from my personal checking account and all payments were received on time and without fail. Both accounts were paid IN FULL prior to their term. So, I applied for a third loan and just received a denial. The reason, insufficient payments on other loans with Lending Club. Are you kidding me??? This is not the way to treat your clients especially those who have done nothing wrong.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I made a payment error. Contacted the company, they told me there is nothing they can do, and to contact my bank. So I did. My bank got my funds back. I made a big error by adding a zero to my payment which made it a 10,000 payment instead of 1,000. This was an extra payment anyways. Now LC has me as delinquent and all of my payments will be going to the delinquent amount of 10,000 and not the remaining balance of 4800. So the 4800 will sit and collect late fees and penalties while my payments go to an amount that shouldn't be delinquent in the first place.

So we got a loan to improve our credit and now it is going to go down the drain again. Wondering if I should just let the whole darn thing go delinquent. What's the point. I should let it go to collections and settle later on since it's never going to be considered current until the 10 grand is paid off. One little mistake and all hell breaks loose. They tell me to contact my bank but I did not know the repercussions of doing so. Lending Club gets a F in my book and they aren't even willing to help me. Hoping to win the lotto to pay them off and never use them again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I had a terrible experience with Lending Club. They will send four emails a day/harass you. Just to have a 17 yr old kid tell you that you have been denied. They don't seem to understand what lending is!? We have NEVER missed a payment on anything and I do not know where they get their info from. It's incorrect!!! Use a trustworthy company not these scumbags!

Lending Club expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Lending club is the biggest peer lending marketplace. The company was launched in 2007, and it was originally one of Facebook's applications. Lending Club makes loans up to $35,000.

• Financial and social rewards: Similar to Prosper, money borrowed through Lending Club originates from peer lenders who commit their own cash to the system. These consumer lenders help borrowers and receive higher than bank interest rates.

• Easy application: Potential customers complete a quick online application. Lending Club rapidly calculates the consumers risk and assigns a credit rating and an interest rate to the potential loan. Loan applicants can examine their options without impacting their credit score.

• No hidden fees or prepayment penalties: Transparent fees and the ability to prepay the loan without penalty are two of the advantages of a Lending Club loan.

• Mobile-friendly: Lending Club has a sleek and easy-to-use mobile platform, which is convenient for borrowers and lenders on the go.

• Award-winning: Lending Club has won many awards for its services, including recognition as one of Forbes' America's Most Promising Companies and a CNBC Disruptor 50.

• Easy payment options: The company deducts borrowers’ single monthly payments from their bank account, so the repayment process is simple and easy.

• Best for: People looking to refinance debt, those starting a business, experiencing financial hardship and consumers experiencing a big life event.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg