IDShield vs. LifeLock
The differences between LifeLock and IDShield
With so many identity theft protection companies on the market, it can be difficult to choose the best one for you. IDShield and LifeLock both offer multiple plans with a range of features for detecting identity theft and fraud, and provide services to help you recover if you’re targeted by identity thieves.
IDShield and Lifelock offer mobile apps and source credit reports from the three main bureaus with their premium packages. Both companies offer bank account, credit card and Social Security number monitoring and lost-wallet assistance. They also scan black-market websites for your personal information and monitor court and arrest records.
LifeLock vs. IDShield comparison
|Membership fee||Starts at $9.95/month||Starts at $9.99/month|
|Family plan available|
|Stolen funds reimbursement||Up to $1 million|
|Norton Antivirus software|
|Vault password manager|
|Customer satisfaction||Read IDShield reviews||Read LifeLock reviews|
|Membership fee||Family plan available||Stolen funds reimbursement||Norton Antivirus software||Vault password manager||Free trial||Customer satisfaction|
|Starts at $9.95/month||Read IDShield reviews|
|Starts at $9.99/month||Up to $1 million||Read LifeLock reviews|
Best for families
The company has two plans, IDShield Individual ($9.95/month) and IDShield Family ($24.95/month). With the family plan, you can add minor identity protection for up to eight children.
Individual and family plans include complete monitoring, unlimited consultation, comprehensive restoration and a $5 million service guarantee, which means they will spend up to $5 million to restore your identity to its pre-theft status.
- Comprehensive monitoring: Scans black-market websites, court records, social media platforms and peer-to-peer sharing networks for your Personally Identifiable Information. Also monitors for payday loan and credit inquiries.
- IDShield Vault: Memberships include access to password manager.
- Identity restoration: IDShield boasts a team of dedicated, Kroll licensed investigators who will restore your identity should it be compromised.
- Service guarantee: If you have your identity stolen, IDShield will spend up to $5 million to restore your identity to its pre-theft status.
IDShield offers a simple sign-up process and a plan that runs automatically. All plans come with 24/7 access to licensed Kroll investigators who specialize in cybersecurity risk management and investigations. You can link any relevant accounts and know that a licensed private investigator is looking out for you. Their LegalShield app allows you to get fraud alerts sent straight to your phone with push notifications. IDShield is a product of LegalShield
“I really like this service. I spotted some weird activity on my credit report and called the team at IDShield. They gave me a few tips and helped me resolve it with my credit card company. When my identity was stolen a few years ago, I wish I would have had this service...”
— Read full review by Kristen of Boulder, CO
Best for multiple devices
The company has three plans, LifeLock Standard ($9.99/month), LifeLock Advantage ($19.99/month) and LifeLock Ultimate Plus ($29.99/month). You can add a child identity protection to your plan for $5.99 per child, per month. All plans come with a 60-day money-back guarantee.
- LifeLock Standard: Social Security number and credit monitoring with alerts. Protect up to five devices. Reimburses stolen funds up to $25,000.
- LifeLock Advantage: Standard features plus alerts for bank and credit card activity and criminal record scans. Stolen funds reimbursement up to $100,000.
- LifeLock Ultimate Plus: Advantage features plus annual credit reports and scores from the three main bureaus and alerts on 401(k) and investment activity. You’ll get alerts if someone tries to open a bank account or apply for a loan in your name, as well as if there is unusual activity on your investments. Stolen funds reimbursed up to $1 million.
- Service guarantee: If you become a victim of identity theft, LifeLock covers your personal expenses and provides lawyers and experts to resolve your case.
In collaboration with Norton Antivirus, LifeLock uses proprietary technology that searches for potential threats to your identity. You can get security protection on up to five devices.
“Having LifeLock is a security measure that at least somebody will be watching out. They called me when there was a question of an account being opened in my name, so I appreciated that. The reps were quick to answer my questions and to try to resolve what they found...”
— Read full review by Stacey of Grass Valley, CA