Chase Mortgage
1.58/5
Based on 66 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for a mortgage lender?

Chase Mortgage

Last updated: April 10, 2018

1785 Chase Mortgage Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: April 10, 2018

From the beginning until the end of the process, there has been chaos, miscommunications and mistakes done by Chase. There wasn't a single person responsible for the entire process at Chase and I think this was the source of most of the issues we've experienced. Mortgage application process: I'm not sure how many times our application forms had to be filled out and signed using mymortgage.chase.com and emails, but there were always documents missing that weren't uploaded or sent to us. We did countless back and forth during 10 days. Then Chase used the wrong State name (Delaware instead of New York) in our application file, we had to file a new application package again. My wife and I had to come in person to a local branch in Brooklyn as we wanted to sign all the papers in person and make sure that nothing was missing this time. At the closing, Chase asked me to sign many of the same documents all over again.

Interest rate: when the rates were around 4.10% we were advised by Chase to wait and not lock right away. The rates went up and we locked at around 4.375% when we were advised by Chase to lock. It took over 2 months between the time we provided Chase with a signed contract on January 17th and our closing on March 22nd. Chase didn't provide a "clear to close" until the very end. There was a lot of confusion as the Chase mortgage bankers would confirm that there was a "clear to close", but Chase's attorney would say the opposite.

My attorney and I insisted that Chase had the wrong real estate taxes for the property, and that monthly escrow amount was therefore inflated. This was reported several times to our Chase mortgage bankers and Chase's attorney, but never corrected in the documents. At the closing I ended up signing final documents that will lead to higher than needed escrow payments. Chase didn't provide the final numbers for the closing until the day before the closing.

The closing: Chase hadn't taken care of the wire transfer to pay the seller. We waited for about 2 hours for this wire to go through. Then we waited for funding approval. No one at Chase was able to give a verbal funding approval. We were about to leave and postpone or cancel the closing, as my attorney had to pick up her kids at school and then was going on vacation. We ended getting the funding approval at the last minute. You can imagine that all parties (buyer & seller side) were completely stressed out, nervous and horrified because of this situation. I can assure you that the real estate agents and attorneys involved will never ever want to work on a closing that involves Chase again. Applying for a mortgage with Chase was a very stressful experience, a waste of time and probably money, as I don't think we've got the best rate.

Original review: April 4, 2018

My daughter's father passed away in October of 2016 owing a mortgage to Chase. She went to the Surrogates' Court in NJ and was given the Administrator of Estate form to sell the house. We applied for a short sale and was approved. We found a cash buyer that issued all the required information Chase was requesting along with all the documents she needed to send them. It's been over a year and Chase is giving us the run around by not accepting the legal court document my daughter has from the Courthouse stating that she is the Administrator of his estate. When ask why they won't accept it, they just keep saying it won't close on a clear title. We contacted the Surrogates' office and was told that is a legal document and it's the law that Chase accept it and the house will close on a clean title with this document. We don't know what else to do, because as of today, they still won't accept it.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: April 3, 2018

Have had this house for 30 years. In January I gave them my new account to take out my home mortgage payment. They failed to do so and failed to tell me they didn't making me late on two payments and ruined my credit while I was in the process of buying a new car to get to work. I'm single. When they, way too late, contacted me by mail and let me know they failed to take out two payments because I needed to go online or to my bank and "verify" my account for them. They had already done their "verification" online and DEDUCTED MONEY FROM MY ACCOUNT but would not deduct the very payments they deducted the smaller amount out of!

Now because of late payments I cannot buy a car because they refused to have the mistake take they caused taken off my credit report causing me to lose a car loan. Explained this to you Tara at Chase! You said you would fall because CHASE DID NOT WANT TO TAKE MY HOME... Tara never called back... Now have less than thirty days to get out of my home. NO CAR=NO JOB=NO HOUSE. Thanks Tara and Allen! You got what you want. Hope all of you lose your homes someday some by a company as greedy as yours!

Original review: March 28, 2018

On Sept 10, 2017 we were hit with hurricane Irma. Due to this hurricane my property had some damage. I was told that Chase Mortgage was giving assistance to help us with our mortgage payment. Called customer service and was told that this was true. I was told that I had an extension for 6 months. All payment would be put behind our loan. That we were not going to be charge late charges nor be report to the credit bureau. So I accepted. In March 15, 2018 I went online to pay my mortgage payment for March which I was not able to do so. I called customer service and the office was closed. I called back the next day. I gave them my payment information. I was then told that I would need to pay 6 months of payment which was over 14,000.00 if not I will in default on my loan. Was told for months not to worry about the mortgage payment and that I would be receiving a letter in reference to this.

For months I was giving misinformation. Now my loan is in collection. That in February 2018 I was not qualified for the Forbearance plan due to the type of loan I had. They should of told me that in Sept 2017. They knew what type of loan I had. But instead lie to me for months. Now they want me to pay all this money to bring my loan up to date. I took my monthly payment and fixed my house. I spoke to a supervisor and she informed she was sorry for the misinformation they gave me. REALLY! Now they're trying to take my home under me.

After open heart surgery now I’m dealing with this stress. Chase Mortgage did not provide truthful nor complete information about the Forbearance Plan. They fail to honor our commitment. For years I have been happy with Chase Services. Now going thru this, I don’t want nothing to do with Chase. I have plan to closed my banking account, credit cards. What I’m being told now, I’m not the only one going thru this with Chase. Please be aware of Chase. Lies and thief.

Original review: March 9, 2018

This is a formal complaint regarding my current situation with Chase Mortgage Division. As the seller I have been treated horrible, and after 67 days our home still has not closed and we still have no closing date. Working with Chase Mortgage has been a nightmare. Our pre-qualified buyer and I decided to use Chase Mortgage Banking since we’re both Chase customers. However, if we had known in advance of the incompetence, inexperience, lack of professionalism and continuous resubmission of documents, we would not have used Chase to close my home. Every time I tried to personally get information from the lender he said I had to ask the buyer, because he couldn’t give me information for privacy reasons. Since when can’t a lender give the Seller information regarding the buyer’s documents status and the closing updates on Seller’s home?

History: I put my home on the market December 8, 2017. The buyer and I signed the contract December 30, 2017. January 2, 2018 Rex ** of Chase Mortgage received our contract and said everything looked great and we should be able to close in 35 days or by February 9, 2018. The appraiser came on January 12, 2018 and we renegotiated the price based on the appraiser’s low estimate (that is another complaint), with an addendum to our contract. The new addendum was signed and submitted to Chase on January 21, 2018. By the way, per the original contract the approval letter should have been submitted within 5 business days. That didn’t happen. Our buyer received her approval letter via mail on February 23, 2018.

Complaint: On February 6, 2018 when I complained to Rex **, Home Lending Advisor about the lack of communication on updates, changes, documents, closing and response to questions asked, he said not to speak with him and to solely communicate with our “first time” home buyer for information and feedback in the future. Chase lending has not been responsive to me, the buyer or the Attorney’s office with updates or the closing status. After 67 days, no one knows what is going on. Is this how Chase Mortgage trains their lending staff to treat “valued” mortgage customers, or is this treatment reserved for ** and Hispanics?

After selling three homes, Chase lending has been the absolute worst experience. The treatment throughout this process is unacceptable. Every promise Chase Mortgage has made has been broken, without apology. This is what I want to happen, immediately. After 67 days with no closing date scheduled or insight, I want to know our exact closing date today. I want Chase lending to communicate with me and the buyer directly and have us close as soon as possible, without any more excuses and needless request.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

Original review: March 8, 2018

No longer servicing the loan. SPS handles it now and it's only been a month and the harassing calls are illegal. I'm up to date and have been had another mortgage and paid that off. Both were with Washington Mutual but as you know they were ripped off and Chase took over. Now SPS is a collection agency and I am still in the 60 day period where they shouldn't (and can't) charge late fees) call one day after the due date. They will be replaced but for those that can't the government should step in. Bad Bad Bad. God Bless America.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I have had 3 mortgages, car loan & credit card over the last 15 years with Chase. Over the last few months I have been receiving several calls a day starting around the 5th of the month that continue until my payment is credited. They are telling me my mortgage is past due. I have always taken advantage of the 15 day grace period when paying since it works with my budget.

My payments are scheduled online, through the Chase website, to be paid on the 15th of every month. They don't show up as being taken from my bank account for a few days after and they'll access a late fee which is immediately removed. That's their problem, not mine. I had one late payment last year due to illness but other than that, my record is spotless. I emailed through their website and was told to file a Cease & Desist Letter. I'm feeling unnecessarily harassed and they need to discontinue this practice. I have several siblings and my children who all have mortgages with Chase. They all use the 15 day grace but are not receiving calls.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I'm a customer in East Bay, California. I was really frustrated in working with Chase Mortgage. The team is the least professional one in the world. First they lied to you about the interest rate, then they went back and forth with you regarding every line in the doc, instead of completing all one time. The closing date was extended due to their unprofessional work. I don't recommend anyone to use Chase Mortgage.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I am trying to pay off my home equity line of credit and it is very difficult to find anyone at the bank (via local branches and/or telephone connections) who know how to answer questions. When talking to one person, you are frequently passed to another or they have to consult with another. It should be EASY to pay off a balance, but this is taking weeks. I will not recommend CHASE for home loans.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I am a Chase mortgage customer since 2005, since then I have stayed current on my condo to date. Unfortunately the property value is $100k undervalue and have been getting a runaround from Chase to work with my loans. It seems they have a great rating for losing documents and not putting the right documents in the correct file. Unsure who has all my docs this point. I believe they are not helping me because of my excellent payment status. I am trying to be patient. The short sale process started in July 2017 and by December 2017 nothing had been done and all my documents continuously kept disappearing or being under review for long periods of time. I opted out of the short sale.

Now trying to modify I have sent in my paperwork in January 2018 and today I am told that they need to be refaxed to activate the case again. What??? I was not notified and have called twice in the past month. First time was told docs received but not assigned to anyone. Today 2.20.18 I am told to re-do it because they never closed my short sale and automatically deactivated the modification... seriously. I am beyond frustrated. Chase is the worst to deal with on all levels. I am at my end and just about ready to hand them this condo back. Good riddance for trying to do the right thing... it should be illegal to hold a borrower liable for loan on a property that is $100k under water.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I was very unhappy with the Chase's practice during refinancing process in October-December 2017. Chase charges a "good faith" charge of $500 for doing absolutely nothing, making you think that this charge will be applied to closing costs. This charge binds the customer to Chase and discourages the customer to look for better deals. This charge also discourages Chase Bank from getting you the better deal. Chase gets their $500 and if you don't go with them, they keep the money. Chase, however, will match any better rates that you are free to shop for, of course, spending your time and the time of another lender. They will not BEAT the better rate, they will match it.

I feel like a long term customer of Chase was not rewarded for my loyalty, but rather was taken advantage of. So, I did not let Chase refinance my mortgage and had them have my $500. Chase Bank obviously needs this money more, than I, a widow, living off my husband's pension fund. (They make you sign Application Disclosure making $500 unrefundable.) So I went with another bank that DOES NOT CHARGE ANY "GOOD FAITH" FEES, but rather just gives its customer the best deal. I will make sure all my friends and family are aware of those practices and think twice before refinancing with Chase.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

We have our Mortgage WITH them, when I had my back surgery we went into foreclosure, they refinanced our loan but that set us back and had to start the 30 years over and made us pay more. I don't understand how you can owe more when you have paid on it for seven years already, so they get extra money because we did that. I don't feel that's right. Everybody has their hand out not helping anyone, just making money off everyone.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

The worst example of professionalism I have ever seen with a company. CHASE Mortgage could care a less about customer satisfaction. They treat you as a number and that's it!!! Please please do not go through them!! There has to be better alternatives out there. I have already had my credit pulled by CHASE and have been waiting over a month for appraisal. Finding out that one was never ordered from their independent appraisal company. Even though I have them 500 to schedule one. Again bad business on Chase part. And dealing with a horrible appraisal company. So while I have been waiting for 3 weeks for a phone call from an appraisal that was never going to happen nobody knew this???

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Chase issued two mortgages on our house in 2010 and 2017. In both instances the title on the deed was in his deceased wife's name. My husband died and I am unable to get a clear title to the house. Now I have to go through probate, and the courts are backed up from six to eight months.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

We refinanced our house thru Chase recently. It was a nightmare from the start. The closing team kept messing up our paperwork and the overall numbers we owed and what we were getting back fluctuated a lot. The mortgage specialist would tell us one thing and the closing team would tell us another. I kept catching errors in the paperwork that they had to correct. Finally they told us they had them done correctly per what we discussed and we went to closing. At closing we signed a paper saying we wanted our old escrow money returned to us and our closer said we would have it within 3 weeks - our bank information and everything were on the form we signed as well. When we didn’t get the escrow back, I checked on it and was told that the closing team made a mistake and put that money towards the loan instead.

How can this happen when we were very clear what we wanted and our mortgage specialist knew and our closing specialist knew we wanted that escrow back? We were counting on that escrow for the rest of our daughter's tuition for spring semester. Also, all the way up until closing we were told that our first payment would be due in February. At closing they told us it was due Jan. 1. When I questioned it they said it was because we didn’t close on our original date but we didn’t close on the original date because of errors by Chase that had to be corrected and no one told us that the payment date would change when the closing date changed even though both dates were in the same month. Very frustrating experience and we will NOT be using Chase for anything ever. Do not recommend them at all for mortgages or refinances after our experience.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

Chase has sent us 6 debt collection letters in 2017 even though our mortgage has never been late or in default. We recently found out that our prior homeowner's insurance provider was a bank client of JPMorgan Chase. The insurance company raised our insurance premiums every year by a significant amount but never disclosed that Chase and State Farm are in business together. State Farm would raise our insurance premiums and Chase would hold the money in our escrow. Illegal.

We recently found out that Chase is not the legal mortgagee on our property. They transferred our mortgage through MERS so the clerk of court has our first mortgage company as the legal mortgagee on our property. Chase disbursed from our escrow account on 12/1/17 to pay our property taxes through electronic payment. As of 12/17/17, our property taxes are still unpaid. They basically stole money from our escrow account. The customer service dept. said that they mailed the check which I knew was a lie because last year it took 30 days for Chase to pay our property taxes after they disbursed from our escrow. Organized Crime Operation!!!

Updated on 12/23/2017: On 12/15/17, I mailed our 4/1/18 mortgage payment of $1249.80 by certified mail to Chase. Yesterday on 12/22/17, Chase signed for the mortgage payment. This morning on 12/23/17, our mortgage account shows that the whole $1249.80 mortgage payment was applied to the principal of our mortgage even though the payment slip and check showed that it was clearly marked as a mortgage payment. Keep a copy of every document and payment you send to Chase because you will need it. Don't do business with Chase!

Updated on 01/06/2018: On 12/29/17, I mailed my May 2018 mortgage payment of $1249.80 to Chase by certified mail. Chase received the mortgage payment on 1/2/18 and applied it as a principal reduction. I contacted Chase daily to fix the misapplication. On 1/4/18, Chase did a misapplication reversal on the $1249.80 and then reapplied our May 2018 mortgage payment of $1249.80 as a principal reduction payment for a second time. Don't do business with Chase!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I contacted Chase regarding the pay off on my loan and a gentleman by the name of Kevin ** who works out of Phoenix took my call. It was by far an enjoyable conversation. Mr. ** was courteous, friendly, and very helpful in assisting me. My loan has been with CHASE for 15 years and my interaction with Kevin was icing on the cake. If I do purchase a new home I will call CHASE first for my loan. Kevin you sold me.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I’ve read the homeowners reviews and realized I am in the same boat. I am now in foreclosure... due to different selling of my mortgage notes 4 times, bankruptcies 3 times, the continued increases of payments and interest rates and then the refusal of accepting payments. I NEED HELP... CAN ANYONE DIRECT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. I have a month and a half before the sheriff's sale. Thanks in advance.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I don't even know where to start, but my refinance experience with the Chase banks in South Elgin and Elgin have been a joke. Filled out the online prelim application and never received a response. Left multiple messages and emails to the South Elgin office. After two weeks of no response, I reapplied to the Elgin office and again did not receive a response. Finally after multiple attempts I got an actual human being on the phone. Well that just started the total mess of lengthy waste of time with paperwork, inaccurate appraisal, lack of response, etc. Overall went back to Guaranteed Rate and had deal done in two weeks.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

When I first bought my home in October 2005. I was under land contract with the owner for so many months. I was making my house payment every month, my insurance payment was not escrowed, and everything was on time. After a year it was financed to me through another lender. That I never missed a payment with. But when it got sold to Chase from the other lender. The price of my house went up 10,000 more and my payment went up almost 300.00 more a month. They have tried to foreclose on my house every other year since then. When it got sold to Chase I never got a letter in the mail for that action. I have reinstated my house 4 times and been under a world of stress. They tried to make me do a short sale and told me that my home was only worth 20,000 which my garage is worth that much.

They told me I had a loan modification in 2015 and had to wait until 2017 to do another one. Which was wrong and I have the paperwork to prove it. But to make a long story short my home is on a FHA loan and they know they would get their money anyway if they did ForeClose. I had to pay 3000.00 to an attorney because we was in a mediation and Chase’s attorney told me I needed one. On top of that he had no clue about the short sale and who the company was that called me out of the blue. That bank should be paying my house off with as much drama and heartache they have put me and my family through. It is ridiculous the way they get away with doing people. But I really need to know where I should turn too.

After hiring that attorney and getting a loan modification down to 650.00 a month when I only bring home 1200.00 is really crazy. But they have messed up my credit so bad with all of the late payments that I have a lot of work to do with that too. But hopefully I will keep looking for answers because they must do their loans electronically because that is not my signature or my initials on those loan documents and the people I actually purchased my house from is not on there nowhere. Sounds like fraud to me somewhere.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I have had a home loan with Chase Bank since 2003. After being lied while doing the loan. We got into financial trouble many years later. Needed help and Chase was horrible to deal with. Even to this day after getting out of trouble and keeping good with my loan with this company I still have trouble. The customer service is horrible. You can call every day of the week about the same issue and get a different response to the same question every day and not one person will see notes from the previous phone call after they tell you they will make notes. I just found out after 15 years with this bank that they do not even have the correct paperwork on my house after I tried refinancing with another company. Have tried for 3 weeks to get one piece of paper. And cannot because no one at Chase knows what to do. They only know how to lie to you to get you off phone and to get to next person.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

If you use this company to handle your mortgage, you are a FOOL and that's coming from a FOOL. How is it possible for a national bank to be rated 1 star and be listed on rip-off.com. I'm 64 years old, been a successful business owner my entire life, good assets and credit score over 800. None of that mattered, took 2 1/2 months to get a loan. It was a very humbling experience. I could tell you some of my experiences, but they sound unbelievable to me, so I won't go into them. I will say this was likely the final straw. We were promised we would close on the 15th, again after 2 1/2 months of providing documents. Some of these same documents were provided (5) times. Back to our promised closing date of the 15th, after missing the original date of the 1st. Fortunately the condo has appreciated approx 50K since we signed our contract. It expired on the 1st. The seller signed an extension for us.

I'm not sure I would have done that. He could have picked up $50 grand. The point is we could have easily lost the house, that we were renting at the time. On the 6th, we got (2) letters from Chase. The first one we opened said we were approved and moving towards closing. The second one said, they were sorry that they had to reject our loan. Get this, both letters dated the 6th, both sign by the same person. I started buying houses in 1979 to a build a rental portfolio for retirement. I've purchased 30 or more. The time it took to buy all of them added together didn't take 2 1/2 months. As we shared with our friends along the way, they assured we were not the only ones that had similar experiences.

I never felt single out, I just felt I was going crazy. To my knowledge this is the 2nd review I've ever written, but for respect of my fellow man, I had to write this one. I want to go to a consumer advocate group, but I'm too beat down. You often hear about business being "too big to fail", this business is big, but at some point they have to fail. You don't know me, but don't use this company. I don't want to throw some other companies under the bus, but no one seemed surprised. I don't drink alcohol, but I came darn close. Its was an experience I would not wish on my worst enemy. I'm going to stop here, but part of me wants to put it all out there. The approval/rejection letter from same sender, same day should tell you all you need to hear.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Was in a tough spot in a down market and was thinking we were going to default on our mortgage. We worked out a plan moving forward but they had filed the notarized agreement papers for the new terms in a different dept. Few months pass with on time mortgage payments and I get a letter stating we broke the agreement and we had to be out in 3 days. Gave those payments back & foreclosed. They did however apologize for the whole misplacing the letter thing and I'm sure my credit, my finances, my marriage, & my kids' future or lack thereof will all accept their apology for the paper.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Far too picky about condition of print quality, font sizes and other irrelevant details. Response times from mortgage loan officer a bit too long. Totally dropped the ball resulting in pursuing a loan with a different company. Mortgage loan rates not competitive.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Immediately after I bought my house, my mortgage was sold to Chase. Not only did I pay first payment but also an extra 800.00. It took 3 months to get this money applied but also still not convinced it was applied correctly. Several months of calls... I just gave up. Maybe on a vacation I will spend another 3 hrs trying to see if applied correctly.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

My experience is from several years ago. Always was treated in a professional manner without delay in response time. Paperwork was easy to understand.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

Chase has been an excellent choice for us. Anytime I have had a question, I get an answer quickly. All the agents, those on the phone and also those at the bank have been available when needed. Very understanding and courteous.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I called Chase several times to request a document needed with the extreme urgency. I was promised the paper within a certain amount of time. That time went by and then some. Each time I called Chase back I got the same nonchalant answer and a different person telling the same story. The matter was never resolved. No one takes ownership of the mistakes Chase makes but they want you to be on point.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

In 2006 our mortgage company was bought out by Chase. Our mortgage payment had included taxes and homeowner's insurance. When Chase took over they never sent payments to the tax dept. nor homeowner's insurance. They also had escrow money and failed to use it to pay them. I called & was given the runaround to call their escrow, customer service & other depts. with no avail. Yet they raised my mortgage $900/month as they took out an insurance policy for themselves. My job closed & my husband went blind.

Our payments should have been paid through the insurance but since they never paid premiums we couldn't put in a claim. To no avail they would not help or give us answers & after 24 years we list our house to foreclosure. I couldn't show up at the hearing as I got bit by a brown recluse spider and they padlocked the house with our belongings in it even before the court hearing. The foreclosure papers said Wells Fargo LLC not even Chase. A class action suit was brought against them & also advised us to obtain a lawyer to sue them individually. No lawyer I called would go against the two banks. I have lost all confidence in both banks!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

Chase was terrible. First thing's first, it is unfair to homeowners that mortgage companies can sell the homeowners' mortgages to another investor without their consent/knowledge. Homeowners have no input. Not right!!! The owner of the home should be told before their loan is sold to another investor. We were solicited by Chase for a refi after they bought our mortgage from Flagstar Bank. That ended in predatory lending issue (adjusted ARM). Terrible, could not do another refi. Did a modification which was a joke. Still didn't help us enough.

The economy was terrible, I had hurt myself and I had to go on SSI disability. We had to apply for a second modification with Chase. Of course our loan was sold again without our knowledge. This time THANK GOD. The customer service was terrible. They are so big no one knows what the other is doing, CSR were hard to understand many times, and a lot of times read the script and really couldn't help. You got transferred a lot. It was a HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE.

Chase Mortgage Company Information