2. Mortgages

Chase Mortgage

Chase Mortgage
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.27/5

Chase offers home lending services, including mortgages, refinancing and home equity loans. It provides online prequalification and home buying resources. The company gives consumers access to mortgage specialists both online and at branches.

BOTTOM LINE

Chase has multiple types of mortgages. Use its online mortgage calculator to find out how much you qualify for and get guidance from a Chase home lending advisor.

PROS

• Work with local buying specialists
  • Available nationwide
  • Prequalify online

CONS

• May be subject to extra fees

Top Chase Mortgage Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

We tried Quicken Loans, they just ripped us off, no customer service. Chase has worked with us and made refinancing easy and painless. We met our closing agent at a restaurant near our home to complete the transaction.

I refinanced with Chase Mortgage and had no issues. They came to my house to go over the paperwork saving me a trip to the bank. Everything was explained efficiently. When there is a change to my taxes I’m notified with enough time to make a decision on what to do with the change.

How does Chase Mortgage work?

To get started with Chase’s mortgage program, visit its website and fill out the company’s prequalification application. During this process, you find out how much home you can afford and get a rough idea of your monthly mortgage payment.

Chase offers different types of mortgages, some of which have qualifying factors. These mortgages include:

• Jumbo loans
    • VA loans
    • FHA loans
    • ARM loans

Once you’re prequalified, Chase’s home lending advisors try to find the right mortgage rates and payment terms for you.

Chase Mortgage rates and fees

Chase’s mortgage rates and fees vary based on your financial qualifications and overall creditworthiness. Chase’s website has an interactive mortgage calculator that lets you input your loan amount, credit score, property type and other information to receive a rough estimate of your average monthly mortgage amount, closing costs, interest rates and annual percentage rate (APR).

Reach out to one of Chase’s home lending experts or fill out the prequalification application online to get a more accurate quote for mortgage rates and fees.

Chase Mortgage FAQ

How do I pay my Chase mortgage?
    You can set up automatic mortgage payments with Chase so that your payments are deducted monthly from your account. You can also pay by check or money order, either by phone or in person at a Chase branch.
    Does Chase do home mortgages?
    Yes, Chase does home mortgages, including jumbo loans, VA loans, FHA loans and ARM loans.
    How long does Chase take to close a mortgage?
    Chase’s website states that it closes most mortgages around 21 days after you submit your mortgage application.
    Can I pay my Chase mortgage online?
    Yes, Chase lets you set up automatic mortgage payments or one-time payment options on its website. Log into your Chase account to set up automatic payments.

Is Chase a good mortgage lender?

Chase’s mortgage loans are easy to apply for and available nationwide. With multiple mortgage types and an average closing time of 21 days, Chase Mortgage is a great option for consumers who want a flexible mortgage company with a quick turnaround.

Chase Mortgage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase Mortgage?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

Original review: March 13, 2020

We have used Chase for our mortgage for approximately the past 25+ years and still going..!!...lol. There’s not any specific complaints that come to mind. If and when we do have any questions or concerns, we call the 800 number and speak with a customer service rep who handles it. Other than that there’s not really any negative experiences that come to mind.

Original review: March 11, 2020

My experience with seeking information About becoming prequalified for a mortgage was awesome. They covered every question that I have to ask the customer service was amazing! Upon my entry to the branch I was greeted with a smile, offer of coffee or water and did not have to wait long at all for a banker to meet with me.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2020

Chase was efficient, and fairly easy to work with. I like that their receipts show the balance due each month. My biggest complaints would be the wait time, in case you need to speak with a human, and that they have too many customer service reps who don't speak English very well. When you're dealing with a lot of money, you shouldn't have to constantly repeat yourself, or ask them to repeat themselves because they're too hard to understand.

Original review: March 1, 2020

Chase acquired my mortgage when they acquired Washington Mutual. I dealt with Chase mostly online and the ease of communicating was superb. I found the resolution to any issue, which I did not have many, and the information I needed easily. I recently paid off my mortgage, but I am in the market to purchase a replacement home and would strongly consider financing with Chase again.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I used to have Chase Mortgage for many years. Customer service was very good and professional. Never had a problem with any aspect of the Mortgage. The rate was high and I refinanced with another bank. They were gracious and understood my position. I had one of their credit cards and they made good after I wrote to corporate and complained. I did receive a credit. Overall, I like the bank. But, I find they are not as competitive with rates and banking options.

Original review: July 3, 2020

Another huge mortgage company that does not value it's clients and that does not respect closing deadlines in contracts. Jean ** in Jacksonville, FL is over a week past the closing deadline and the closing has still not happened. Do not recommend. It is so rude and disrespectful to the lender's clients and everyone involved in the transaction not to work efficiently and respect closing deadlines. JP Morgan please train your staff better and if they are not performing in the way they should make them accountable for their bad work ethics. If they can not even make closing deadlines maybe this is not the right job for them.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Below are some examples of points that come to mind that imprinted such feelings on us were: - The 1st addendum change. When we submitted the sales contract on April 07, 2020, the contract had a seller's concession of 3.5% and closing date of May 4th. Then, on April 10th we were informed that Chase could not honor that value and its guidelines would force us to reduce that amount to 3% if we wanted to proceed. We are first time buyers and that made us afraid of losing the house offer, so we agreed to that. The sellers, eager to help us gave a discount on the house sales price on the .5% Chase would not honor.

- The due date on Easter. The task requiring the addendum was posted in the portal with a due date of April 12th (Easter Sunday), a holiday Sunday. Which of course, with the number of players involved and the incredible small lead time was not possible to be done. We were able to deliver on the 15th. - The lack of feedback on the homeowners education program bonus. On April 15th we were contacted by Chris about some documents, on that call he informed that the house title was cleared and all the major roadblockers were done. He also asked if I had completed the homeowners education course and that could give us a bonus up to $500.00. I said no because no information or guidance where given. Only then, a link was provided to us (he sent it), I completed the course right away and sent the certification. No feedback on bonus or anything was provided after that. No mentions of the course at all.

- The lack of notice on tasks to be completed by Chase people and portal. The portal has a major flaw: it doesn't send us a notice when a new task is posted. Neither does the person who posted the task, so I had to access the portal several times a day to make sure I had no new task and that I had everything in order. That made the process cumbersome, time consuming, and prone to anxiety.

- The homeowners' insurance. Although I gave the documentation and contact of my homeowners insurance to the team, informing that I had paid the premium in full, it was necessary several reminders and request to that number be added as a paid before closing bill. Only at the final document, that amount was finally input, though the 3 months of the insurance where still collected at the closing costs. After several reminders only on the 27th more documentation was asked to prove my claim.

- The procrastination on documentation. On April 17th I had provided all the documentation required and was just waiting for the final audits and verdict. Then on April 22nd I received a call from Chris informing me that someone had made a typo (or something of sort) and that they need a new document from me to verify my SSN, which I provided right away. The team had my documentation since the 17th, still it took them 19 extra days to send me the closing documentation (something I will get to later). I was told that Chase policy changes though would not affect me because I had a lock contract was affecting the team. My question is: why internal issues should affect the customer that is not even in the stage where the changes have influence?

- The "pushed against the wall" options. Later afternoon on May 1st, a Friday, we receive a call from our agent saying that they receive the closing documents with wrong numbers. The closing was supposed to be the following Monday. Then few minutes before 5:00pm Chris and Gabi conference call me saying that they could not apply the whole seller concessions and we had 2 options lose it or risk to take longer to close and also risk our APR rate to change.

We are first buyers, with no knowledge of the process and what we knew was: 1) the team was already taking way too long for closing, 2) we wanted to close asap as the sellers asked for 60 days after closing to move and each extra day would put us farther away from the move in (yes, the team was informed of that), 3) changing the APR could risk us losing the mortgage, 4) We were given no time to ponder and give an answer. The way we saw the options was lose it the left concession or risk lose the closing or the mortgage. We were pushed against a wall.

- The lack of time for final documentation review. The bank was not able to honor the closing date, so on May 4th we had to file for a second addendum to extend the closing an extra day. The sellers knowing our situation with their concession put at risk once more by Chase, jump again in aid, reducing the sales price to reflect the "lost" money. The final documentation with the closing costs was only sent to me on May 5th at 2:37pm after my request when the closing was supposed to happen at 5:00pm the same day. I will stop here to express how disappointed, frustrated and disrespected I felt. Virtually no time was given to us to review the numbers. I not even knew how much was the amount I was supposed to get a Cashier's check with, to which I had to drop everything I was doing to get the check on time.

- The communication of our agent not being answered. Since the beginning our agent was trying to contact the team. He was the expert in the case trying to help us, but Chase team ignored him most of the time, and sent no document to him, even after I signed the document (a desperate attempt to help myself during the closing). I have no knowledge of the business, he did, he tried to help me, Chase did not allow. What that should leave me to think of Chase business?

- The delay on providing closing costs and documents. Chase had several days, weeks to close our mortgage application, I have impeccable record, financial stability, no creditors, excellent score. I was diligent fulfilling my tasks and providing the documents. Yet they took 19 days to give me the final document and did what they did during the closing.

- The unsound answer on the guaranteed closure program. I am aware of the Chase 21 guarantee closing program by emails sent to me by Chase itself. Given that Chase was already over the 21 days I asked about it and the answer that I had was: "that is for a contract without a closing date or something that needs to be done ASAP. As long as 3rd parties don’t delay the process, then we are eligible for that the program guarantee.". Well, that's not what the eligibility lines of the program say, there is no reference to contract without closing day, and are saying we don't need to close asap? Is that why they took so long to close? From our point of view, every day passed was a day further from getting in our house and a day without pay for the occupancy of the sellers, and no, we had no 3rd parties delaying the process, only Chase delayed the process.

One thing that I've just learned from Chase execute office personal, was that the home lending team concealed a very important information from us. When we asked if we could add a discount of $300 in the last addendum and that wouldn't impact anything for us. They said no, no impact would come from that. Therefore they failed to tell us that yes, by making that change we would no longer qualify to the guarantee closing, which would give us $2500 bonus. They knew they wouldn't be able to close in time, therefore we would qualify to receive the bonus, and concealing this information they push us towards something that made us lose the bonus.

Who in their rightful mind would choose a $300 discount over a $2500 bonus? The team did not get anything bad from it all but we just got robbed the chance of having the bonus. They lied when we first ask about our qualification to the program (I do have the email) and they concealed the information at the end. They did what they could so we wouldn't qualify. We were robbed the opportunity. And now the answer from that office is there's nothing we can do about because it happened. It happened because we were pushed and tricked to do so.

- The financial loss feeling and lack of transparency. The rushed documents, the constant change on the money applied from the concessions, no feedback on the bonus for the course, the delay on the closing, some concessions just disappearing on the closing documents, and the closing document being higher than was provided before, the pushed against the wall options, the 21 days guarantee program not being honored. All that, and how the whole process was carried out made us lose all the trust, made us feel under a financial loss provoked by Chase, and that it was done the way it was so we couldn't take our time to investigate the numbers, to understand the process, to question, to seek advice from our agent, to be advised by our agent. I, we, were put in a position of be nice and complacent or risk lose the house, or risk have your application rejected. We felt hostages.

Original review: April 1, 2020

In June of 2018 I missed a payment 480.86 but I keep other month paid with extra money added to build suspense. In Oct 2018 after ask and filled out several times for repayment and denied each time they set me up on forbearance plan for three month over one payment at the end of of forbearance I owe for all the three months plus any late fees. Well I broke the forbearance and went on paying 550.00 600.00. In Dec. I had my Bank get hacked and got red alert from Green Dot Bank. The transaction I sent to Chase and other bills was returned. I was on Chase to fix the problem but I was too late. I got them the money. It was not 600.00. It was 550.00, my payments are 480.86. Since it was return the payment got overlapped with November so they was two payment in Nov. They knew that.

As the months Jan Feb March all paid I looked in March. I was 3 months behind. They said they never received any payment, I sent proof, by secure message several times, mailed many times, faxed many times even to corporate office. Never got them, April I send I send 999.00. That all I had. It went to Corporate fees. Long story short I lost the loan at the 2019 and it started over with extra 20.000 added to it when I was down to 17 years. I paid 62.000 for home. With fees 67.000. Now I owe 86.000 almost 87.000 thousand. Unfair banking. My escrow is never correct. I add it up myself more than once. 300.00 one month. 280.00 one month. 184 one month but I only paid 1.200 in escrow so I am always short. Not saying this is fraud but it don't add up.

Original review: March 17, 2020

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I sold a house in New Jersey for over $250,000, I had plenty of money in the bank, a credit score over 750, and a good paying job and Chase Mortgage reps still made me jump through hoops of fire to get a mortgage for a $132,000 house even though I was putting more than 20% down. I would passionately discourage anyone and everyone from using Chase for a mortgage. Also, forgot to mention that I had bought and sold approximately 6 other homes in the course of my life and have never had an issue or poor credit.

Original review: March 13, 2020

JPMorgan Chase Bank. Is the biggest us bank and biggest crook. They have screwed our life so badly by a fraudulent mortgage refinance in July 2008. They have lied and covered up the truth for nearly 9 years. About the bank who never worked there? About changing interest rate. About increasing my loan amount. I call it VOODOO MORTGAGE REFINANCE. I will be in the news soon.

Chase Mortgage Company Information