Chase Mortgage
3.73/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Chase Mortgage

Chase personal and small business credit cardholders can earn cash back and points for travel, complete balance transfers and more. Chase credit cards are available with or without an annual fee and come with access to mobile banking, free credit management tools, plus privacy and security features. Chase cards aren’t the easiest to get approved for, but access to the Chase Ultimate Rewards program makes them worth considering.

Looking for a mortgage lender?

1855 Chase Mortgage Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 11, 2019

They gave the best rate in the market. Their online banking is so easy for payments and the bills describes the loan in a easy way to understand. Their customer service and IVR is superb. Chase is always quick to respond to emails.

Original review: May 10, 2019

They walked us through the process step by step and were wonderful to work with. It was a refi, and they were our prior lender. They did a great job servicing our first loaned also. If we were doing another mortgage they’d be my first choice.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Chase is outstanding when it comes to helping customers navigate through tough financial times! The support I received from Jennifer ** in keeping my home 4 years ago was OUTSTANDING. She helped me navigate through a very tough financial situation with expert advice while expressing empathy and support to the ultimate degree. Recently I reached out because of a short term financial setback and Scott again responded with clear and concise explanation of what to expect going forward. Yes I understand that they consider the consequences to their company when facing foreclosures but their customer support is so completely emphatic and genuine when advising you on the best path forward. Thank you Chase for your policies and your hiring of the best customer advisors I've ever worked with.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I have not had any issues with Chase in the four years they have had my mortgage. Their customer service is excellent in all regards. They are serious about giving good information and/or instructions whenever appropriate. I have always felt well served.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

We tried Quicken Loans, they just ripped us off, no customer service. Chase has worked with us and made refinancing easy and painless. We met our closing agent at a restaurant near our home to complete the transaction.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

Original review: June 11, 2019

My house flooded during Hurricane Florence and I will never use Chase again if I can help it. There are not enough words to express how angry I am. They have the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced. Recap: they made lots of mistakes with the documents I uploaded when I was trying to receive my insurance funds. I received endless verbal apologies but it took us months to actually receive our money. I spent hours on the phone with them the last few months, and it all should have been avoided. There is only one contact phone number for the whole department and you have to repeat yourself every time you call. Supervisors always told me they’d call back and never did. Their reps would tell me ‘oh, I think this is the problem’.

So I’d upload another document, wait three days, and call back. I’d then get a different answer. They ran me in circles. Meanwhile, their policy is that you don’t receive your insurance money until the job is done. This would be fine if they gave you the money when the job was completed. They even came out and inspected, said the job was completed, and I still don’t have the money (it's been 2 months). That means I had to pay my contractor out of pocket. Avoid at all costs. They have serious structuring issues in this department.

Original review: June 8, 2019

In 1988 we bought our first home. Our loan was through Chase mortgage. In 1995 we fell on some hard times, the company my husband worked for went on strike for 3 weeks. We were living paycheck to paycheck at that time so that month they were on strike we had no money coming in. I called Chase to tell them our situation and set up payment for that month paying half of our payment $495 that day and the other half $495 the following week which would make it one day late (this of course was way before online bill pay etc). They said that was fine. I sent the payments like we had arranged, now it was the beginning of the next month, we got a letter saying they applied it to our interest and that we were going into our second month of non payment on our loan and that they wouldn't accept any money for payment on the loan because our loan with them had been sold to a different mortgage company and that our home was IN FORECLOSURE.

When I tried to find out who our mortgage was now with they wouldn't tell me so I had no information on who to contact and Chase didn't care at all about us. Took the money, put it not toward our monthly payment so we were out that money, now trying catch up on 2 months payment on our loan... Long story short we lost our home because of Chase.. They are crooks, and practice fraud on a regular basis and I don't understand how they keep getting away with breaking the law like this for so long. I know a lot of other people who had similar problems with Chase, it broke our hearts to lose our home and will never understand how or why they didn't care about people and take their homes from them purposely and also taking people's money but not applying it where it should have gone, thus screwing us out of the money, keeping it for themselves leaving us in a terrible financial state!

We lost our home for god's sake... They should be held accountable for ALL of the other people. They have affected and taken $ from and put through such hardship and loss. We lost everything we had paid 8 years for! Why have they not been prosecuted in court because I know the average citizen would be in court if they took people's $ fraudulently!

Original review: May 12, 2019

I was a traveling notary for 11 years and Wells Fargo was the worst company to work for. They never got the documents on time. They never paid on time. They always had a complaint about something. The customer could never reach the same personal loan advisor which should have been available all the time.

Original review: May 10, 2019

We refinanced our home in 2003 and Chase bought our mortgage on the market. For years we paid extra to the principal, finally lowering our balance on a 30 year mortgage by 59 months. One day we received an offer for a "recast" of our mortgage. This is not a refinance but lowers your payments. What they hope is that you will make the lower payment and then they can recoup the interest that otherwise was paid off earlier.

There are no fees associated with their recast. We received on paper a document from Alexis at Chase stating what our new payment would be and if we continued to make the old payment, we could pay off the house sooner. That was our goal in the first place, lowering the balance and paying it off faster to be mortgage free in our senior golden years.

Well, a few months later I was looking at their online mortgage amortizing tool and saw that it had jumped forward a month for the final payoff date. Thought it was odd so contacted Chase. Found out that Alexis hadn't been accurate, perhaps intentionally to get us on this recast and our payoff date didn't change from prior to the recast. We had hoped to cut out another two years off the mortgage.

Also, the payoff date moved forward a few months from July to September. So now we have to pay much more each month if we wanted to cut out that extra two years we thought we had gained by the recast. Also, watch out for that mortgage amortizing tool on their website. It's clearly skewed in some way and will give you the wrong numbers. I would get a lawyer but think we will just sell the house in a few years and buy a home for cash.

Original review: May 7, 2019

The experience was so bad and cost me $6-7,000 more than it should have because of their negligence. Stay away from Chase is the best advice I can give anyone. By the way, I have spoken to many people who feel the same way.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy! They lie about everything and don't give a rat's ** about you, all they want is to screw you over and say what a poor boy you are!!!! Stay away from them unless you want to be taken advantage of and ridiculed.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Child's first time mortgage loan, some of his credit history is cards that were in parents' name and we had issued him cards off of our accounts. He's no longer on these accounts as he's now a married adult. Chase wants US to provide OUR statements on the cards and give access to OUR accounts that we pay them from. Say what?! I'm not the one applying for the loan. Go elsewhere, no one should be treated this way. They say they aren't going to sell his mortgage. Hahahahahahaha. Waaaaay over the top and unnecessary underwriting process. Chase obviously is looking out for themselves and you are a mere peasant/thief begging at their door for handouts. If you don't want to be treated like you're in Communist China, apply elsewhere.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Our Mortgage has been with Chase for the last few years and we are more than frustrated with the bank's clear reluctance to apply funds correctly as we work to pay down the principal balance on our mortgage. We have sent in multiple extra payments that we have ear-marked as principal-only payments and yet Chase keeps applying them as though they are regular payments, taking big chunks of interest out. This happens even though we are fully current on our regular mortgage payments and even though we notify them in writing each time we send in an extra payment to apply it to principal.

I've talked to so many supervisors and each time I call they will reverse it/fix it, and they always promise it won't happen again - and then it does. I have called so many times I have now been given the direct number for supervisor Katrina and I've been promised my account is now coded to prevent this happening and yet it continue to happen. So, bottom line - BEWARE, and if you are trying to pay down your mortgage and sending in extra payments, make sure you always check to see if they are applying your funds correctly.

Original review: April 30, 2019

The website is not as user-friendly as it could be. That's the only way I know Chase and it is the only way I interact with Chase. Case in point, March 4, I submitted extra money as a "principal payment" but they listed it as a "payment" toward the overall loan. March 8 is convoluted as well. We made our regular mortgage payment, and I added another full payment to go toward our "principal" but it was simply applied toward the overall loan. And then, for some reason, there is a refund that was made on March the 8 as well - for over a $1000.00? No explanation given as to where this money came from or to which banking account it was applied. I'd give very low marks for their online abilities.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I had a hard time with Chase Home Mortgage. Before Escrow every thing looks so good and once the process started, it really sucks with hell lot of documents. The realtor keeps on promising that everything will be good, but I am not sure what document they really need to care and what not. And at the end moment, they denied my loan. Just a week before the Escrow ends I have applied a different bank and it approved within 3 days. Chase told me that I have property out of USA and you switched your job 2 times in a year. Even after all the written proof But they said they canceled it because I had a returned check before the repayment plan started and they did not realize.

I don’t think they can legally cancel after agreeing to the payment plan. I feel this is unfair business practice and wrongful foreclosure when they agreed to the payment plan and my payment cleared. I feel this is unethical of Chase. This is one of the worst nightmares for the first time homeowner. I will never would recommend going chase.

Original review: April 2, 2019

They said we were in foreclosure and we had proof 4 times we paid so someone in that place is pocketing out money and screwing us but I kept all paperwork so hopefully they figure out who is doing this.

Original review: March 6, 2019

This is a very honest and un-biased review. I love Chase banking and have been a customer of their services for over a decade. I was the biggest advocate for banking with Chase. Started the mortgage process this past month. I made well over 6 figures, have a great credit score, assets, proof of income... everything you need to get a mortgage.

Our loan officer knew that this was our first time purchasing a home and we had several questions. She would ask me to call her and when I called her, she would make fun of me for calling so quickly. She told me I could get the house with 3.5% down, that turned into 5%, then 10%. Gave me ZERO guidance as to what my options were in order to get more money down. Never communicated anything with me. Forgot what my income was. Forgot the amount of the loan and the purchase agreement. Couldn't figure out any options to bring to the table if and when you hit a bump in the road. I could tell this was all about her and her only. I felt so uncomfortable with a pit in my stomach for weeks. To think we would have lost our real estate deposit and upfront fees if we waited on Chase is terrifying and a lot to lose for a first time home buyer.

The mortgage process is not supposed to be a dreadful experience if you have your ducks in a row and have great income, proof, credit and are quick with your responses to LO's. We did everything right and she was the absolute worst rushing us off the phone every time we had a question. Even on email she shared brevity and little to no customer service. I was so shocked since I love Chase Banking - but seriously, DO NOT DO YOUR MORTGAGE WITH Chase.

I made a quick decision to move forward with another lender and I have to say, I am blown away at the difference. Outstanding customer service - excited to see the emails and to do's come through from him - he thinks of 10 options before I have questions and sits on the phone with me for awhile until I feel comfortable. Answers my texts, answers my emails and returns my calls in the same day. He is OUTSTANDING. Even received lower interest rate, lower PMI, lower closing costs, lower mortgage payment... the list goes on.

Do yourself a favor and don't go with Chase for a mortgage. Again - this is a real review and very honest. Disappointing to say the least. When I told the LO at Chase that I was going in another direction, her response was, "I wish I had not spent hours working on your application until 830pm last night." I responded that I couldn't risk the earnest money fall out, numerous runs on credit and wasting others time and money to not close or feel confident to close. She responded, "Have a good one." I think that says it all.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I always paid cash for things but needed to est. credit so took out Chase card for $1200. When I mailed my first payment which was a check printed by my credit union, they rejected it saying my address wasn't 'printed' on it as my account was just opened and I do hospice work so I don't have my own address for long--one of the considerations before you do work caring for elderly, disabled & children: banks really take advantage of you.

Even though I'd paid $200 monthly for at least four months (it was nearly paid off) they charged me nearly $1,000 for a late fee they caused by 'losing' my second corrected check. So, twice, they refused my payments so they could make them late. I didn't know until a year later that what they did was illegal, but there is no legal help for the poor as we need at least $5,000 just to be heard by an attorney. I did lodge complaint with DA & nothing happened. Chase Banks wins. I hope Jamie Dimon enjoys the breakfast he bought with it because even $1,000 is the difference between having a home for a couple months or being on the streets for someone like me.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I had a temporary hardship with Chase Home Mortgage. They gave approved me for a repayment plan and I set up first payment for February. The check cleared the bank. I called on February 22 to set up March payment. They told me property was in foreclosure starting on February 18. I was shocked because I thought I was protected. But they said they canceled it because I had a returned check before the repayment plan started and they did not realize. I don’t think they can legally cancel after agreeing to the payment plan. I feel this is unfair business practice and wrongful foreclosure when they agreed to payment plan and my payment cleared. I feel this is unethical of Chase.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Chase applied my escrow to the principal payments which I did not instruct them to do so. I specifically asked them to put it toward my escrow, then they sent me a letter saying I was short on escrow payments. I told them that they had made a mistake and seems as if took them the longest to get this corrected. I wish they would do a better job listening and adding and subtracting. I am really considering getting a new mortgage provider.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Good afternoon. Me and my husband bought our home in 2012 and our mortgage was perfect. Everything was paid on time and the actual mortgage company we was late. They was there calling me or my husband to make sure and every mortgage company bought our mortgage was very good and we was always on time. Unfortunately in 2017/2018 Chase Mortgage bought my mortgage. In the beginning we was very excited because it was our bank but on 04/2018 my husband have a heart attack and in 07/04 he went under heart surgery. Everything went well but of course my family was little under stress.

Unfortunately we paid the 07 payment late more the 30 days. That meant my credit report have 30 days late payment but my question is why Chase Bank don’t call me/contact me. I am on the contract too! The manager Erika from Chase Bank on my question why she just answered to me they don’t have my phone number and by Law they need call only the primary on contract. I told the lady which she keep repeating, "Your payment was late!!" I got that but if Chase Bank call me and only my husband which he was confused and worried about his heart I was able to make sure they will received sooner the payment and not that late.

I guess Chase Bank like to lose money and time on 1.500 instead make one more phone call. When I signed the contract for the mortgage I give my phone number. I guess Chase Mortgage/Bank like lose their more money and time with lazy people. For sure after this I will make sure to cancel everything we have with Chase Bank. Banking account etc etc etc. We paid all the other rates and thank you. Good I sold my house which means no more Chase Bank. Run from Chase.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have had several mortgageS with Chase Bank and prior to this mortgage they WERE great. StartING day 1 they have messed this mortgage up. 1. My insurance was paid up for the year. Next thing I get a check back from insurance company for a refund because Chase told them to send it back, then I get a letter from Chase saying I don't have insurance on house. They also got involved with what I was paying and my insurance increased over 50 dollars a year! I REQUESTED THAT THEY STAY OUT MY INSURANCE BUSINESS IGNORED BY CHASE.

The people in the escrow department can't seem to add and subtract. Every year I get a nastygram from them saying I am underpaying escrow and they are increasing by $30 to $40 month. This year they increased my escrow $$16.00 per month or 168.00 per year. My taxes when up 35.00 and my insurance when up $30.00 per year. Between the accounts the increase was $65.00. Why the huge difference? This has happened every year that I've had this mortgage. What is the problem with this bank? Pretty simple take my taxes $800.00 per year and 721 add them together and divide by 12 you get escrow payment.

Regarding the yearly nastygram they are in control of the escrow account. WHY can't they get it right. With all the issues with the escrow I have requested to pay the taxes insurance my self. They refuse. I WANT TO NOTE IN 10 YEARS WITH CHASE I HAVE BEEN LATE ONCE with there payment. When I paid my taxes they were always paid on time same with my insurance. They suck. Stay away. Maybe they'll get the message!!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

My Mortgage was just sold to Chase. I received a letter from Chase welcoming me to Chase. The letter stated nothing would change unless I made a request including my method of payment which is through bi-weekly debit to my account Bank Account. This morning I received a letter from Chase stating "that as per my request" they were terminating Automatic Payments against my Account. I never made the request. It seems that unless the payments were coming out or debited against a Chase Bank to begin with you have to go through the process of filling out additional paperwork.

The 4 Customer Representatives I spoke to on the phone this morning admitted the letters I received were form letters and the information was incorrect. I was then told I could not get an email automated bank debit form sent to me. It would have to be faxed or mailed. Who has a Fax Machine today at home? This is 2018. Not 1988? I was also reminded the full payment was due the 1st of the month. The short time (3 weeks) that I have had with Chase indicate to me there are issues as far being able to Trust them in what you are told. Even when they give it to you in writing? My advice would be to stay away from Chase as being your vendor for Financial Services. I plan to seek alternatives to Chase as soon as possible.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I tried to give zero stars but it's not an option. I purchased a home for my elderly mother to live in who is on permanent disability. Because of her sickness many upgrades needed to be made to the home. I made a loan with the smallest down-payment possible so I could conserve cash to make improvements. After spending tens of thousands of dollars fixing up the property, I had it appraised through Chase and requested that the mortgage insurance be canceled. My appraisal came in with a high value, as expected because of the improvements and they declined my request, stating that it was not their policy to remove mortgage insurance until my loan reached a level of 75% of the home value.

My original loan contract says 80%, they ignored that and refused. This is over $140 per month. I followed the terms and rules laid out in my loan and they trumped it because they know I don't have the resources to fight them. What an awful way to conduct business, they're the poster of corporate greed and spitting on the little guy.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I tried to have Chase refinance my home under the Obama act. Chase gave me a two year runaround on the Obama loan. They would require mounds of paperwork and then make me start over every 6 months. Now they said I had been approved for a loan for 40 years that added $6,000 to the loan. I am 67 years old. I only have six years left to pay off the loan entirely. All of my payment now goes to equity. The 40 year loan payments went to Chase and very little equity was paid. They would get the money when I died. They then canceled my home insurance and told State Farm they were going to take out the payment. They have completely messed up my insurance and continue to insist that I want the new loan even though I never signed any papers or agreed in any way to the loan. Do not deal with this company.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I made a $7,000 "Principal Only" payment online on Nov. 15th. Clearly a field for "Additional Principal". When I checked it a week later, I discovered only $5,035.59 went towards principal and the additional amount was applied to my Dec 16th mortgage payment, and showing my next payment was due Jan 16th. (Set to Autopay.) This same thing has happened with Chase many times over the years of working with them.

Other times in the past, we mailed a check with "Principal Only" written on the check, and they applied it to our next 3 monthly payments instead. This is why we decided to do additional principal payments online... But NOPE, that is not a sure thing either. I saw on other reviews here, even calling and making a principal only payment on the phone is not reliable. They still applied it to the next monthly payment. It seems to me they have a shady internal policy to prevent you from paying off your loan, hoping people don't check/notice what happened.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Stay clear of Chase Mortgage. My father passed away in 2009. There was a probate hearing in 2010 at which time the home was given to me. I called Chase, numerous times to get the loan transferred to me and they told me that they do not recognize the court order because they were not there. The court gave them three months to appear and they did not show. That is why it was awarded to me. I attempted to get the loan in my name by working with Chase. Each time they sent me paperwork, I completed and sent back, they would lose them, a form was sent in the wrong format, or they would say they never received them. It took me three years before a representative got me on the loan as a contact person just so they would talk to me about the loan details.

Once she helped with that I asked to continue to get the loan in my name and she said that it was someone else area not hers. When I attempted to find out who to talk to, no one knew who I needed, yet they would ask me time and time again if I wanted the home and would be keeping it. I had been making the monthly payments since 2010. After four years they change the loan from my father's name to his estate (which closed four years earlier). After runaround after runaround I was advised to get a loan through someone else and get away from Chase.

This year I did just that. Now they sent me the balance of the escrow in the name of my father's estate. They are telling me that they cannot send the check in my name because I never assumed the loan. They are telling me to get my money, I have to go through the process of assuming a loan that no longer exists, so they can put it in my name, then they can cut me the check correctly. Now I am out $3400 of my escrow, plus seven years of tax claims because of their more than very bad customer service. The funny part is back in 2012 Chase held a meeting stating that its goal was to have #1 customer service rating. Here we are in 2018 and their customer service is still ZERO!!!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I have spent hours and hours on the phone with Chase Mortgage. They are reporting a mortgage late for a mortgage that had been paid off one year previous to the mortgage late they are reporting!! They agree there was no late payment yet they will not send a letter confirming this so we can have the credit fixed! I have spoken to dozens of people there and there's an excuse of why they can't write such a letter! This is pure Abuse! Shame on them!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I pay my mortgage with recurring automatic payments from online banking. I have had a Chase mortgage for 10 years and never late or missed a payment. I moved and my notices were late in coming to me and Chase had increased my mortgage payment from $1840 to $1906 - $68 due to an increase in escrow collected beginning January 1, 2018. My payment issued prior to the due date was $1840 as I didn't realize it had increased. Chase applied the ENTIRE $1840 to the mortgage principal - something they should only do if instructed to do so. Then they charged me a late fee.

I paid two payments in February hoping to "catch" up and not understanding what happened to my payment. I finally sorted out the mess with a Chase banker in late March and at that time was over 2 months ahead in my mortgage payments. I was told I was good through July. Well, June was not covered after all and by the time I realized it, I paid for June on July 16, July on July 17 and August on July 26. Because Chase has reported me late on my mortgage, my credit score is below what will give me a decent mortgage rate. They want to interpret the problem of just looking at the fact that my June payment was late - period, not the whole mess of calls, and reversals and all the activity between when they misapplied my mortgage payment to when I paid 3 mortgage payments in one month.

I spent 2 half days on the phone (away from work!) trying to straighten out things in March. They don't care about my trouble, they just want to look at the late payment - not the fact that they caused the issue that snowballed into a big mess by misapplying my mortgage payment. They are supposed to call me in 2 days after the SECOND request for them to look into the issue.

I have sent them a detailed account reconciliation that I painstakingly did - which took me a lot of time as I had to figure out what they were doing in my account and look up my old bank statements to verify the payments I made to them were accurately applied to my account. Oh - and Chase wants to see if they can prequalify me for a new mortgage - but won't remove the late charge (yet - I plan to keep fighting this!). And, not that it is related, but I just dumped $50K with them closing our business account at another bank and reopening at Chase. But it stings.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Needed 2 forms to be completed by Chase in order to obtain a 3rd party assistance in paying my mortgage and avoid foreclosure. (Mortgage Verification & W9) Chase representatives gave me the runaround instead. They faxed their own form which was already given to me by the Branch 4 days prior. The mortgage department repeatedly tried to have me receive their mortgage assistance even though I informed them that I do not qualify. A representative finally told me that a Research team may have it and there is no way to get in touch with them. As of today, no forms were received.

Chase Mortgage Company Information