Chase Bank

Chase Bank

3.7/5 (1459 ratings)

About Chase Bank

Chase (NMLS #399798), the U.S. consumer and commercial banking business of JPMorgan Chase & Co., offers loans for home purchases and refinancing in addition to its other financial services. The company provides home loans in every state and Washington, D.C., and its services are available online, through its mobile app, by phone and in person at more than 4,700 branches.

Chase Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Bad customer service at branch, online and on phone. Website is dysfunctional and I was locked out of my account for no apparent reason. Apparently no one at branch or by phone knows the amount you can deposit with mobile app. I can understand withdrawals being limited but deposits? I have never had such bad customer service at a bank. I am waiting to speak with a supervisor as I write, been on hold for 75 minutes. Be prepared to waste many hours trying to get simple functions done.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

I would not even recommend this bank to my worst enemy if that tells you anything.. They are holding my unemployment direct deposit for five days which they have never done. I have been a customer with them for two years for the last 3 months. They have been doing a lot of shady things with my account ever since I've been drawing unemployment. My bills are scheduled to come out and they are not releasing my funds 5 days later. They are using Thanksgiving as their excuse. I am going to have $120 in bounce fees thanks to Chase Bank on the 29th. The money was deposited into my account on the 25th and they will not release it till the 30th. They also did this with my government check, my stimulus and my tax return. They tried to hold for 15 days. Luckily I found somebody there that was willing to do their job and they fixed it after 5 days.

Chase Bank is now the worst bank on the planet. I assure you of that. I do not recommend this to you. Please do not use Chase Bank. My unemployment check is only $500 every two weeks. They just cost me $120 out of that $500 in bounced fees plus I have to still pay my bills out of that and I have to call all of those companies and directly pay them now. Shame on you Chase Bank. I hope you fail now.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Difficult to set-up a recurring transfer, but once set-up is quite efficient. Some of the personnel within the bank's operation area provide wrong information, such as that a recurring transfer cannot be done by the bank, that the customer should use a wire transfer to the account. Branch personnel were more knowledgeable in the process.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

I am deeply disappointed in the unsatisfactory level of service from Chase Bank in a time of need for me and my family. I have been a Chase Bank customer for roughly 10 years and recently needed to open a probate account for a deceased family member in which I have been named executor of the estate. The barriers presented by Chase Bank that prevented opening the needed account has been frustrating, time-consuming, and emotionally draining. The process needs further review for improvements.

All the legal paperwork was presented to the Branch to begin the process of opening a probate account, however, their "document review" area pushed back and stated more information was required. They stated the Letters of Office was provided by the court system in another state and had no jurisdiction in my state of residence, and therefore they could not open the account and required more detail information from my attorney. Which cost additional money from me to obtain.

The Letters of Office is a legal document that gives the authorization to transact on behalf of a deceased family member regardless of the state where I decide to transact business. My attorney for the probate also questioned the reason behind this barrier Chase Bank has presented. I am disappointed in Chase Bank for the following "hoops" I have had to endure during this process:

- Requiring further documentation from my attorney after letters of office and death certificate had been provided to chase.

- Loss of personal time. I spent over 1.5 hours on the phone with Chase Bank representatives at 800-935-9935 being transferred around because none of the representatives knew or could advise about the process of opening a probate account. The line disconnected with 1 rep while I was on hold, another rep advised that I need to call Estate Services 866-926-6909 for the probate account process, and another rep advised that I need to call the DCP group at 866-893-0745. No one answers when calling the 0745 number, an automated system advises to send documents and contact information to Consumer.Desposit.Efax@Chase.com. I sent the email as instructed and a representative called me back 24 hours later and stated they were not the department for this process. None of the numbers the customer service reps provided can assist with this process.

- More Loss of Personal Time. I spent 15 mins on the phone with a manager at another Chase Bank in the state where the letters of office was issued. She also questioned the practice stating the letters of office should be enough to move forward with opening a probate account and they should be able to do this at the local office in my state of residence.

Eventually, I contacted another local bank and presented the same information provided to Chase and within a couple of hours, they stated the letters of office is sufficient and they can move forward with opening the account. They stated the issuing county/state is irrelevant to the process for opening this type of account with them. She stated she is unsure about Chase Bank's restrictions for opening a probate account. The hoops and inefficient practices Chase Bank put me through is unforgivable. Especially during a sensitive time such as the loss of a family member. The events of this process I endured need higher-level review.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2020

Trusted the stated fiduciary private client advisor Darren ** who is interested only in harvesting fees. After losing my health, job, and house ended up getting scammed out of $40,000 in a JP Morgan junk bond fund. After depositing what was left from a huge house loss they cancelled money market and advised me into JPMorgan bond fund that plunged nearly 12.5% in a week. Gutless advisor claimed it was all JPMorgan advise, not his. May KARMA catch up with him.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

I went to the grocery store this morning at 1 am to avoid crowds and Covid. Loaded up a cart, and when I tried to pay, had the humiliating experience of a locked account. No notice, no call, no email from Chase. I had to just leave my groceries on the belt. I then went online to see what the problem was, and there was nothing indicating my account was locked. I figured out while online that my account has been locked all week, and that due to Chase not informing me, several automatic bill payments had not gone through and I didn't know. So Chase has kept me from paying my credit card and phone bill, and kept me from buying groceries for my family. All with no contact, no explanation. You expect this kind of treatment from Wells Fargo, but not a bank like Chase. Their service has really gone to the dogs. This experience has cost them my business.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2020

I am a retired employee of Chase, I receive a monthly pension from Chase, I have an 820+ credit score, and I am a Sapphire Reserve credit card holder. Recently opened (online) Chase Premier Plus Checking. The following day I received a notification that this new account was closed and my online access was locked. Telephoned and was told my account was closed and Chase did not want me as a client and all my accounts would be closed. I asked why this would be and was told..."We don't have to provide a reason...Chase does not want your business." Needless to say I was shocked but not surprised since increasingly their service quality has significantly deteriorated....They constantly send me messages about increasing my credit line along with special offers for "valued clients" all obviously a joke.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I've been Chase customer for last 20+ years when it was "First Chicago" and then "Bank One" (acquired by Chase). My average checking account with them is in higher 5 digits all along. Yesterday, I tried to wire $12000 funds to another Chase account (another person with 10+ years having that account too), they put that on pending state. There was absolutely no attempt to call me or received no emails until 7 pm stating "Dear Customer: We have not sent your wire transfer referenced above because of a delay in processing. We will continue processing your request and contact you if we need more information. If you have questions, please call us at 1-800-935-9935 for personal accounts or 1-800-242-7338 for business accounts."

So, I called them up at 18009359935, the customer care said he sees a fraud alert on that wire hence it did not go through. The department is closed and only works during 8-5pm. I asked to speak to supervisor - same answer. I had sent out "secure message" to them making sure this goes thru as it was critical transfer. I had similar experience 4 months ago when they delayed (cancelled too once) my wire transfer of $20,000. Due to that I had to pay $500 penalty + opportunity loss cost. At that time too, I had specifically sent out a "secure message" via portal to let it go thru immediately the instructions were placed. While talking to them for over 90 minutes I could see they care nothing for a loyal customer. I took this opportunity to move my accounts elsewhere (there are plenty good options available). STAY AWAY from CHASE.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I have been a Chase customer for over 10 years, my husband about 20. We have 3 personal acc and 5 business acc, never had problems until today. I receive a letter stating they are closing my accounts less than 30 days. WITH NO REASON OR EXPLANATION. Thank you. I will take my business at different bank where they will appreciate.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

My husband deposited a large sum of money in a Chase ATM. He deposited cash and the ATM gave him an error message and did not reflect the deposit. He called the Chase claims department and they told us would get our deposit in 12 hours. After 12 hours we saw no deposit. So I called back. I was told that we would have to wait up to 2 business days. I called back again, and I was told we have to wait 10 business days... My family can't wait that long. We have bills, we have rent, we need food. 10 days is ridiculous!

I asked to speak to a manager. After waiting in hold for an hour the manager, coldly, told me there was nothing she could do for us, and we have to wait. I asked to speak to someone higher. She refused to escalate my call. We have 4 accounts with Chase. We make regular deposits. After this error we will be switching to another bank. My family has to suffer because of Chase's mistake. I used to recommend Chase to friends, family, and anyone who would listen. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

My onward flight got cancelled in March due to COVID, and I haven't a refund yet for my onward or return flight. I have spent 20+ hrs on hold over 7 months with no resolution. I understand that Chase systems were overwhelmed in March, but there is simply no excuse to deny resolution now. I have NEVER experienced such incompetence and would advise anyone to avoid using a Chase credit card or the Chase travel portal.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I am a retired Professor of Economics who is disgusted with the employees at the Pine Lake branch of Chase Bank. I have been a client for 30 years & have encountered the same difficulty' whenever I try to bank coins there. I do not use money often enough to fill paper receptacles. Today, I deposited 2 checks worth $80,000, but the two clerks there would not accept my coins (arranged by amount), so I was delighted to fill the trays myself. I do not relish dealing with employees so inured to their idiotic that they cannot put coins into the plastic tray. These two employees should be terminated immediately, and allow them to join the cheerful unemployed in our depressed economy. Hereafter, I will open an account with Wells Fargo, next door, and pray to the exalted that these two women are fired. Where and how do you hire the most inefficacious derelicts who belong more in a homeless shelter than monitoring your counters? Prof. R. T. **.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

I have 3 accounts with CHASE BANK. Chase took my incentive promotion from a account I open to make a purchase of merchandise from Amazon. I was lied to by Chase Supervisor when I tried to reconcile the account. The supervisor promise to fix the problem and return my promotion to my account. I was told to wait on confirmation approval letter which took 2 weeks and I was told in the letter that chase would not be able to fulfill my incentive promotion. BE CAREFUL. They will lie to you and not fulfill their promises. I stop using all my accounts. NEVER will use them again.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

On Friday I transferred $400 to my savings acct. I have not been working due to covid and pawned some jewelry to make my car insurance payment. On Saturday I went to pay it and my savings account was GONE! As was my money! I called and they said they had canceled my savings because I had not deposited in 30 days (yeah I'm NOT working anything to save) and they would put it back in my regular acct in 3-5 business days! Meanwhile, my insurance is cancelled and still no money in my account which is now overdraft???? I have been a Chase customer for over 10 years and upset by this. Oh, and I suppose they will tack on a overdraft charge $35 for each item on top of that!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

In my 6 years of owning a business, these guys without a doubt take the cake for worst imaginable service I didn't even think was possible. I was referred to this company by a friend, who has also since left due to poor service. After the government shutdown due to the covid19 response, I was legally only allowed to do takeout. My terminals shut down weekly and get replaced at least bi monthly due to whatever "programming error" excuse they can come up with for that month.

My last call and definitely my last interaction I will have with this company (unless I take them to court) I was outright refused to speak with a manager or someone who has English listed as their first language. It really sucks that I am not bilingual or trilingual but the fact is, I'm not. After 10 minutes of this phone call (Which I recorded on my cell) I hung up in a raging level of frustration. This company made me realize quite clearly how someone of lesser sanity than myself could be seen on TV for for showing up at the head office of chase and doing something drastic. I now totally get how some people can get pushed to that point. We will never blame the rich corporations for this though and certainly not even richer banks with ties deep inside the government itself. Nah, much easier to blame the victims.

Now it looks like I have no choice but to take them to small claims for all the subsequent months they kept billing me. Especially during these covid times. I have a very well documented record of my repeated requests to cancel the service. I honestly can't say enough bad things about this company and if you read reviews like this and still use Chase services, it would be fair to say you deserve to get scammed by this corrupt bank as well. No matter your choice, good luck. Sincerely,

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Chase Bank officers were very good at talking about how good Chase is as a bank. I opened accounts with Chase with large balances. Then out of the blue Chase said the bank was closing my accounts. After numerous calls to find out why, no answers, I got to a supervisor who hung up on me. Never use Chase. They are not reliable.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

Over a week ago my card was compromised. The bank notified me to ask me if I had authorized a charge. I was very happy that they would do this. They cancelled the card and said they would send me a new card. It has now been over a week and I do not have my new debit card. I was not given an option to have the card overnight sent to me. I have no access to any of my funds. I have an emergency and no access to my money. I cannot go to the grocery store because I don't have access to my money. I should have been told that it would take 10 business days to get my new card. This is so wrong. I asked for compensation and they said that there was none. Very poor business to hold someone hostage.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

Chase suddenly canceled my account because of fraud. No proof of it and all my transaction were legitimate. Then they canceled my wife's account for no reason. No fraud there either. Now after more than 2 weeks we haven't gotten a check on either account to settle the accounts. What a sorry bank.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2020

Upon multiple recommendations I set up a Chase Bank account online. Everything proceeded smoothly and I had an account ready in a day. However, multiple problems occurred after this. First my account was locked over possible fraud because I tried to transfer money from my previous bank over via an external account transfer. I called Chase's support line and after approximately 2 hours holding I was told I needed to go into a local Chase branch with two forms of ID to unlock my account.

Several days later I was able to do so, but now they told me they cannot unlock my account and had to call it in themselves. By this point both my checking and savings accounts had been deleted because my account was suspected of fraud. The branch representative said I then had to wait until their fraud department called me and verified who I was. So I waited several hours for this. Once that was done, I could return to the branch several days later to reopen a checking/savings account and set up a credit card with automatic payment.

For a month things proceeded smoothly and no issues arose. However, I then received an email and a call saying that my credit card was overdue even though I had personally ensured that automatic payments were set up the day before my balance was due. Upon examining my account online I found that automatic payments had been disabled and I now had to pay a late fee associated with the card and said card was deactivated until I paid the statement balance. I tried to make a payment for that day, but an error occurred when I did so. I could only make a payment at a later date even with more possible late fees pending.

Summary: Do not create a Chase account online, do it in person. Do not use Chase phone support services, go to a local branch. Do not rely on automatic payments for a credit card, pay the balance yourself. All the Chase representatives I met were very helpful and kind, even though Chase's digital services were glitchy.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2020

2 weeks 3 phones calls and I still cannot use my debit card because someone at Chase screwed me up not one but twice. This time they changed my pin and did not tell me. At this point I am going to pull my money out and put into a different institution.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

I have been an account holder of Chase Bank of some time and on 9/16/2020 I logged in, checked my payroll and everything was fine. I went back into my account and saw that my account has been locked out. I simply called their security department and was told it was closed out due to bank identity and that I would have to go into a branch and show 2 forms of IDs. Chase Bank has never sent me anything in writing nor in a secure message indicating that they are requiring to see such form of identification from me. I saw an account specialist where they went ahead and had to reopen up all of my accounts. This has caused my bills to be late.

So now we're on 9/30/2020, I updated my payroll with my company via ADP web portal and I see my direct deposit going into a closed account. According to Chase I will have to wait 2 days now for this money to be rejected and my employer to be notified to resubmit my monies back to me. Chase looked at my accounts and didn't see anything coming in. That's ironic when I have a printed copy of my payroll going into a closed account. Again Chase has caused me another headache of their screw ups and this close to either closing out all accounts with them or seeking an attorney and filing a lawsuit due to their violations which they refuse to provide in writing. Be aware Chase Bank will screw you one way or the other and refuse to honestly assist you or provide you an actual credit of deposit.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Worst experience ever, I'm closing my account now, talking about the Story Rd branch, CA, the teller gives attitude to customer, throw card at customer, no apology made by the teller after I filed a complaint to the manager, what an experience, no customer deserve that kind of service.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

If you are a minority cashing a check in bank (Chase) your debit card is No good because you're **. You must show Identification, I was told, "You people are full of scams," in front of my granddaughter age (9). After 11 years of banking I was livid. Then I was told he didn’t like my attitude and closed my bank account. So long chase. Taking my money where they're worried about my money not my color. ** PEOPLE COMMIT (WHITE COLLAR) crimes. Oh but they wanted me to keep my business account open. Closing that too. (8) years gone down the drain. So long chase. Go find ** people since we (** people) always scamming. Per chase manager...

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

I opened my Chase account last Friday to have my unemployment deposited and when it got deposited all the back pay I attempted to zelle my daughter money and they locked my account. I called and they decided they were closing the account and cannot release the funds. Are you kidding me. It’s over 14k in the account. Now I’m losing my house and everything because I needed that money and they robbed me of it. This is heart wrenching.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

They are thieves, they close your account and it is a fight to get the money back from that account, until today I am still waiting for the money that I had in that account, I do not recommend CHASE to anyone, it is the worst bank I have ever known.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2020

I started a current account with Chase Bank online. I transferred some money in and set up my direct deposit with them. Within a week they locked up my account, so I could not access the account online anymore. When I called in they asked me to visit a branch with more documentation. When I did that they said they have already closed the account.

My salary has gone to this account. So now I don't know where my salary is. There was also some money that was in transit to the bank which they claimed to have returned. But I don't see it in my previous account and I don't have any track of. They have said they'll mail the remaining money that I have in that account via check. I hope I get all my money back. Horrible experience.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

For my "protection" Chase is unable to do a simple wire transfer. This is after being verified seven times. I was told every time I try to wire money to my landlord, the transaction will be canceled. Spent an hour on the phone to get help. Even the manager, Juanita, I spoke with was unconcerned that I am upset and plan to go to another bank.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

I have been banking with Chase for a couple of months. Five months ago, they closed my account due to a bitcoin transaction I made and until now, they haven’t sent me a check to withdraw the rest of the money I had on my account after they closed it. It’s very frustrating and I don’t even know when they mail it, I even doubt if they will.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I have been with Chase two years as loyal customer. Recently I was scammed. It’s going on 3 weeks calling back n forth with claims. Today I was informed they can’t help me with transactions I never authorized. I was scammed. Did a police report. Kept all records to show I’m being scammed. The supervisor Jessica I talked to was rude, uncaring of my situation and rushed me off the phone. I’m seeking legal action now. I wouldn’t recommend this bank to anyone. Not only was the help not there I had my hard earned paycheck go into negative.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

They sent me a bonus offer for a new a/c. I sent a significant sum upon opening which they took/deposited. About a month later, I tried to go online to complete my qualifying activities for the bonus & got a message my a/c was suspended. No other communication from the bank before that. After 30 minutes on hold (they offer no chat), I was told I had to go to a branch to verify my identity. I told the rep: #1) They verified my identity w/ my driver's license in the application they approved.

#2) They have no branches open near me due to Covid, #3) Even if they had a nearby open branch, why do I need to risk my health to give them what I already provided & could easily be sent electronically? I told him he was providing no help & I wanted to speak to a manager. He hung up on me. Chase sends me offers all the time. I will NEVER bank with them after this experience. ALSO NOTE: IF you want to speak to someone who speaks understandable English, do not call Chase. Everything is routed to overseas call centers where they struggle to speak English and are apparently not empowered to actually do anything.

The response I got from the kid who sounded like he was 16 was. I had to So they took my money for almost a month, paid no interest & After waiting on hold for 21 minutes, I spoke to a rep who provided ZERO alternative solutions & when I elevated my voice in frustration (no cursing) & said this was absurd, he had the audacity to tell me if I spoke to him in that way he would hang up. I told him he was not being helpful & asked to be transferred to a manager. He hung up on me. So I'm taking my money out & never banking with Chase again. They Also, for those of you who get frustrated by lack of English speaking

Chase Bank Company Information