3.14/5

Chase Bank

Chase has credit cards that can help you earn points on the things you love most, including travel. Read reviews for Chase Sapphire Preferred to learn about travel rewards.

Chase Gallery (6)
View More View More

3236 Chase Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 16, 2018

My husband and I applied for a mortgage on a second home in Florida. We applied to Chase since we had a credit card through them and were looking for a bank with branches nationwide. We own two businesses in our home state and bank locally for both businesses and personal accounts. Over the years we have had many property closings, but none like the one with Chase. We provided everything requested in a very timely manner. We signed the application in one of their offices and provided $500 for the appraisal. We were told to set up an online account to follow the process and provide any additional information. We told the loan officer at the time we signed the papers that we didn't want to pay any points and wanted to lock in the interest rate.

The first time I signed into the online account it showed we needed to sign documents which appeared to be the same ones we signed in their office. We thought, maybe, for some reason we needed to sign them again which we did except for the one that said we opted for a floating interest rate. I called the loan officer right away. She said that we didn't need to sign them since we had done so in her office. I told her we had already signed them with the exception of the one about the interest rate. She agreed that we had signed documents in her office locking in the rate. At one point, her superior contacted me via email requesting a letter from our accountant. I forwarded the email to our accountant as I wasn't exactly sure what they wanted.

Our accountant said he wasn't sure either, but to have them call him direct. I emailed the loan officer who had contacted me and gave him the information to contact our accountant directly. About a week passed without hearing from him, so I assumed he had contacted the accountant and had gotten what he needed. But, no, he contacted me again, so I contacted the accountant again. They finally talked and got everything resolved. Evidently the loan officer tried calling the accountant and got his voicemail, but didn't leave a message or send an email either. I told the loan officer and her superior that we would be leaving for home on March 13th, but would be back for the closing on April 9th.

While home, we received through the mail a Notice of Counter Offer from Chase. I contacted the loan officer in Florida right away questioning what it meant. It stated they couldn't loan us the amount we applied for, but could loan us $67,000.00 more than we had applied for originally. The loan officer said she would check and get back to me. When she contacted me, she said it was because they take all your income and expenses for a year to determine how much you need in reserves for a six month period. She said that when they did this we fell short, so they increased the amount we were borrowing so that we didn't have to bring as much money to closing.

The next thing she suggested was that we liquidate an annuity that my husband has, but we told her that wasn't something we wanted to do. Consequently at that point, we told her we would accept the counteroffer. We were on our way back to Florida on April 5th and I was opening mail in the car. Much to my surprise there was another Notice of Counter Offer for an additional $7000.00. Someone from Chase called me on April 5th. with the amount to bring to closing. I asked about the closing time on the 9th, but she told me that was set by the title company. I contacted the title company and we set it up for 9 am. I contacted the title company again on Friday the 6th and was told that they hadn't received closing documents yet.

They recommended changing the closing to 12 noon on Monday the 9th to be sure they had everything ready. I asked them about the amount we needed to bring to closing so I could schedule the wire transfer on Friday to make sure they had the money in time for closing on Monday. They quoted me a figure which was $4165.00 less than that quoted by Chase. I questioned this and the title company told me to wire the amount Chase had quoted and if that was incorrect, they would refund the difference which they did. At closing, we were kept waiting 2 1/2 hours while the title company waited for the final closing statement from Chase. Upon reading over documents, we found they charged us 3/4% point.

I tried contacting three different people at Chase that we had dealt with, but to no avail. I even tried calling the number on one of the voicemails that was for in case the call was urgent, but got another voicemail. No representative from Chase showed up for the closing or returned my calls. We were ready to walk out, but had too much invested at that point. We feel this was a scam to get us to borrow more money and were not informed of the 3/4% point charge at any time during the loan process. We have an excellent credit score, have never been late on a payment or defaulted on a loan either business or personally.

Original review: May 16, 2018

Stopped my debit for security breach. Problem I was on vacation and couldn’t get new card sent to me. And they wouldn’t reverse the stop on debit card.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I had my mortgage through this bank and their refinancing process was horrible. We were with them from 1996 until 2011 and the refinancing calculation were expensive. Never were we included in this lawsuit, due to them selling our mortgage prior.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Chase Bank will not own up to the very correspondence they send, they will dismiss as a generic form to avoid their responsibilities to us as consumers.

Original review: May 14, 2018

On a Saturday morning, I made a $1500. deposit into my Chase checking. The deposit slip said bank could hold deposit for 14 days! I did not receive this info until AFTER my check was consumed by the bank's ATM machine so I could not take it back. I went into the bank and talked to the bank manager, who was the Asst Mgr for that day. All she could say the check is in the machine and I can do nothing about it. She had NO information to give me.

Today is Monday and Chase is still holding my checks and I have $42 in my bank account. Evidently, because I was supposed to have read the tiny text in the bank's contract when I signed up for the account, I was supposed to know this! *Any deposits made on a weekend will not be credited until the following business day.* There was no such information given to me on the deposit slip nor did the branch manager know this! Terrible customer service! And I have been unable to use my debit card - for food, gas, etc for 3 days! Why was it being held? Deposits made on a weekend are not credited till the next business day (Monday).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chase?

Original review: May 14, 2018

First and foremost when I first called about my account they told me no money was deposited. I called my job which they informed me they already made the deposit. I call Chase back. Now they find the funds but tell me I would have to wait up to two days for them to find the funds. They put me on phone with a “Manager” who not only makes me wait like half the call but I asked to please give me a second to find the correct information, he informs me he's only going to wait two minutes then hang up. Now it's day 3 and I still don't have my money and they are telling me I'm going to have to wait another whole day before I can get my money so something that was suppose to take 2 days is going to take four and I wonder how long I was going to have to wait if I didn't have the time to wait on hold for 30min today.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Get alerts if Chase Bank suspect unusual activity! Verify certain charges when they call; Claims Dept. investigates & removes any unauthorized charges; Always follows up with me to let me know what needs to be done. I had to get new cards which are made at the branch & set up new pin #'s; Making Auto Payments is from Acct's is always on the date I have set up with vendors.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Great locations in my hometown and when I relocated due to military orders, Chase bank was conveniently located around my new military base. The employees are friendly and you cannot beat the Military package they offer.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I have account for many years. No issues or problem. Will continue to be a customer of Chase. They are always ready to help me with my financial issues.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I'm liking the online check deposit at Chase Bank. Also, they have ATM inside that lets you chose the denomination of bills when you get cash back and a whole lot of the new features they have out.

Original review: May 13, 2018

They are great and service is Excellent! When opening my account they were very helpful and each visit I am treated with nice customer service and never had a bad experience.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Service at my branch is excellent from the tellers, investment branch and private client associates. We have banked with Chase for more than 20 years.

Original review: May 11, 2018

On 5/11/18 my husband just started a new job and he put 1 number wrong for the deposit so his deposit was in limbo. So I called the customer service number. Talked to a girl I could barely understand. I asked to speak to a manager and the manager instead of helping sent me to another person that was so brainless. I explained my situation like 10 times he couldn't get my account number correct. I told him the number many time and he acted like he started at the bank yesterday and had no clue what and why I was sent to him and then he was so rude and unprofessional. He said, "It not our fault your husband put a incorrect number on the direct deposit" and I was like, "Duh I know that but can you find the deposit or" and he interrupted me every time I said anything and I finally hung up on him.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I have always liked Chase Bank, from their amazing customer service on the phone or in person they are by far the best bank! Over the span of 25 years I can honestly say that I have never had any problems with Chase Bank. I highly recommend this bank to anyone whether it's a personal account or business or both you can rest assure your money is safe and your questions will always be answered by a bank representative with professionalism and knowledge!

Original review: May 11, 2018

Great service from this bank including extras but perhaps because of large deposits. Personal banker is super idea. Very considerate toward military customers. Several nice perks for new customers at certain levels. However, interest paid for using/holding my funds has been very minimal. That’s not right but seems standard last several years.

Original review: May 10, 2018

It was time to renew flood insurance. Long story short, my 1st mortgage said they didn't need it anymore, so I told Chase, I didn't need it, they needed proof. So a rep wrote me back and forth working with me, in the end, we were waiting until I get proof of NOT needing it. After two months I couldn't get anywhere with FEMA or my 1st mortgage for proof and just paid it. Now Chase charged me for the two months of their flood insurance, which cost $ 624, and is making me repay it. When the rep kept telling me we will work with you, no problem we will wait until you get the document. Really? Now I have to repay a ridiculous amount for nothing. Chase customer service is the worst.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I received a scam call this morning regarding my credit card and called the bank to let them know, check my account and do some of my own follow up; during the call I'm told this card is frozen for being over my credit limit... I'm shocked to hear this and explain that can't possibly be, I'm then told the $500 increase I received in February was "temporary". I was NOT told that in February. I'm thinking, "Great, I'm doing something right". (I have never been late on a payment). The bottom line, they couldn't care less! I was met with complete apathy. I've banked with them for nearly 30 years, way back when they were Washington Mutual. Why would you give a temporary $500 credit limit? Now I have to have $463 paid off in less than 2 weeks. I'm utterly disgusted with the whole situation. I think this is shady and nothing short of deceptive business practice.

Original review: May 8, 2018

It's not even a week since I've open an account with Chase Bank. They could not tell me in person or over the phone. Why my account was restricted to close. They would send me a check for what is in my account. All they could do apologize. That would not help. They would not give me a reason at all. I don't have Chase on my credit report. They are a joke. Now my whole family will be leaving to bank with someone else. They are not about their customers or anything. They are greedy, rude and etc. I would not bank with them. They screw you over and not tell you why or how. They will make you wait to get your money out of the account. The whole bank company need to learn customer service skills and be about the customers.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Chase Bank had by far the worst customer service by far of any lending institution. Biggest rip off bank of all time. Their people are total morons and idiots who don't give a ** about you or the problems they created. The only thing a VP down to a teller can do is apologize for all the idiot mistakes they make and dealing with their customer service people in India and Asia can't speak or understand one word you try to explain to them. I have 5 different business accounts which I'm closing and working with a local credit union here. Goes to show you that big banks don't give a ** about you. All they want is your money and they will promise you NO SERVICE whatsoever. Do yourself a favor and never deal with this company. Unless you enjoy headaches.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Chase and reordering checks and debits - Chase has done this to me countless times and caused me lots of fees, Chase will render largest debits to your account so they can get the maximum fees. They are beyond disgusting, I have called them on it and they say some **. I hate them! Beware.

Original review: May 5, 2018

Home insurance canceled due to lack of payment but I have a escrow account with Chase Bank. I was told I would have reinstated my insurance policy. No sympathy or clarity. Just want to pass me off to the next department. I went 4 months without insurance and the only reason I found out because I contacted the insurance company for another reason and they made me aware it. Chase never selected another insurance co, when I thought home insurance was mandatory and if wasn't select by the owner the company would select one. Awful company to have to do business with.

Original review: May 4, 2018

This is the second time I've been locked out of my account without my knowledge. The first time, my NON-EXPIRED debit card was declined when I was trying to buy food. I was hungry and my card was declined at a Taco Bell. Embarrassing. I go to the ATM to withdraw cash. Declined again. I had sufficient funds. I call Chase and they tell me that they can only "temporarily unlock my card" for like 15 minutes so that I can withdraw cash. A new card had been sent and they demanded that I use it. I did not have this card on me.

The next time, I placed an online order through Amazon. I even ordered Amazon Prime to get a rush delivery. This was approaching the weekend, but I was scheduled to get the product as early as Friday; Saturday at the latest. Again, my card was declined because "I don't frequently make purchases online" which is BS. Keep in mind, the Fraud Department didn't call ME, similar to before, it has always involved ME reaching out to THEM (this type of security is useful if it locks out a hacker, but it's an inconvenience if it's locking out ME.). Anyway, it's resolved now. I'm able to resume my purchase online. But, even with Amazon Prime (not their fault), I won't receive my package until Monday (which defeats the purpose of using Prime to begin with).

Original review: May 4, 2018

I wanted to take the time to write this review as a word of caution to other consumers. I have had a simple business account with Chase for over 10 years. This is not a primary account, just a bill paying account. Money comes in and money goes out. It only functions as a simple transaction account. I recently noticed a monthly fee had been added to my account for a service I did not add or authorize.

After endless calls and visits with Chase, they can neither offer me any explanation of how the fee got to my account without my authority or take any culpability that there are some security issues with their banking. I now monitor my account regularly and often find unauthorized fees that Chase is unwilling to remove. Through the years, I have calculated these to be over $1200. I am astonished at the manner in which I have been treated by Chase employees when requesting this to be removed. They have not removed the charges and I have spent endless time, which is worth more than the money, trying to have these removed. So I am throwing in the towel and switching banking. I just hope this does not impact another consumer.

Original review: May 3, 2018

Payments paid through Chase online bill pay, left my account which is not disputed. However the receiving company (Sunrun) claims they never received these payment totaling over $520.00. This claim has resulted in countless hours, visits to the bank, investigations, all claiming that the transactions are valid, and Sunrun is refusing to accept that fact. At one point a local branch officer claimed to investigate this 6 month old mystery, and had seemed to discover that the funds had gone to another company in a bank error. However that quickly turned into a assumption rather than a fact in a phone conversation.

I asked them to verify this previous investigation by that bank employee. That was months ago, and still no resolve. Today is May 3rd 2018, and the last mystery transaction was made December 2017. I'm still out my double paid $520.00, which seems to have fallen into a electronic black hole. Oh by the way, been using bill pay with no problems to this company for years. All other payments to this merchant are easily verifiable, as Chase mailed checks. The missing funds for some reason were sent electronically. No check proof.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I have had two recent horrible experiences with Chase. The first was my ATM card was given to someone else at a bar when I went home with his ATM card not realizing it until the next morning. I wake up to Chase "Fraud" Alerts notifying me that $1700.00 dollars was removed from my checking account at an ATM in a city I never go to. Please note I have documentation from Chase stating the daily ATM withdrawal limit is $500.00 with no record of me requesting to increase it. They then allowed 4 additional $400.00 withdrawals before they stopped the transactions.

Chase refused to return my money and refused to look at the camera on the ATMs where this occurred as I requested. I am currently out just over $4,000 and am struggling financially now. Chase seems to think that it's not their computer's fault that an ATM would even spit out $1700 in one ATM withdrawal when the daily limit is $500. DO NOT TRUST YOUR MONEY WITH THIS BANK! IT IS NOT SAFE!

Original review: May 3, 2018

I have business accounts with Chase Bank. Chase Bank decided for me, without my knowledge, to change MY Master Card business credit card to a Visa credit card. I am VERY busy and do not have time to call all the auto pay service providers on my Master Card to another card. Chase Bank is NOT authorized to make my business decisions!!! Instead of taking the time to do Chase Bank's bidding I think that time will be better used in closing all my business accounts with Chase.

Original review: April 30, 2018

We had a business account with Chase and also merchant service. They decided to keep 5 days worth of credit card sales and empty out our business account and take it 7k below zero just because they decided to create a float account if we ever had a chargeback on a credit card. No warning. Nothing. And even closing our account they will not refund the money for 6 months even though we decided to cancel the account with them. Chase are thiefs and rip offs.

Original review: April 27, 2018

So I applied for the Disney Visa through Chase. We received the card in the mail and called to activate it. I was told the account was under review. We then received a letter that I had to call and verify my Identity which I answered all their questions. The account specialist came back on the line and said that the account was still under review. I asked if I could go into the bank with my ID and proof of address which he stated yes. That same day they mailed out a letter that they were closing the account due to not being able to verify my identity. I am all for my identity staying safe but Chase takes it to the extreme and it is ridiculous. Anybody else ever deal with this? I have the Freedom card as well.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Recently had my locker at work broken into and my wallet stolen. When I got the fraud alert from Chase I was unaware that my wallet was gone so when they asked if I had my card I told them that as far as I knew it was still in my wallet in my locker as I had it at lunch. They refunded my money for the fraudulent purchase. About an hour later I called them back to let them know my wallet was stolen, they did not document this call. 2 weeks go by and I get a letter from Chase saying that since my card is a chip/pin card it had to be physically present for the purchase to be made so they were denying my claim for the fraudulent purchase and reversing the credit they gave me.

When I questioned them about the second call they claim to have no record of it. I have provided a police report and security footage of the suspect making the purchase to prove that I was not there but they are sticking to the original call when I told them I had the card before I found out my wallet was gone. Please reconsider opening any account with them because if anything goes wrong they will not help recover your money or help in any way to resolve the issue.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I joined Chase bank in Gig Harbor Wa. for several reasons. One was I needed a good local bank, since I bank with a mostly online bank, 2. Chase offered a good bonus for using direct deposit and having a minimum savings for a few months, and the most important is the extra benefits such as the Notary public they allow members to use free of charge. The problem is that the Notary is basically a non-benefit since Chase will not notarize some of the most common documents. When I presented my closing documents on a house to notarize in 7 places, the notary was o.k. with all the documents except the one that said I presented a valid government issued ID to identify myself. He told me that he could not tell if the documents were actual state issued driver's licenses or if they were counterfeit.

I thought this odd, but said, "Oh no problem, I can get my passport and use that instead." He said, "I won't be able to tell if that is real or not either, and Chase does not want to assume the liability that perhaps the documents are not real." This is really odd that a bank cannot verify a driver's license. It was o.k. and they verified me with that same license to set up the account. Guess what Chase? You can go chase another customer as I will be finding a better local bank that actually provides the services they say they do. The way I see it you owe me $70.00 that it cost for the Notary you were too incompetent to provide.

Chase Bank Company Information