Sacramento, CA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.19/5

California Check Cashing Stores Reviews

Original review: Sept. 19, 2013

I cashed two checks that were given to me by a bill pay. The person that I didn't receive the checks and put a stop payment. In the meantime, I cashed the checks. Not only did they charge me $59.00 a check, the checks came back to them. It isn't my fault that this happened and they refuse to stop calling. They said they want the $2000.00 back that was cashed. Excuse me, but I didn't get $2000.00. I don't mind paying it back but they aren't going to get money back that I didn't get. Plus they are flat out rude and ruthless. They have called my friends, tried to call me work and are now calling my boyfriend. Go get the money from the guy who owes it to me and don't try to charge me for something I didn't get. They need to get a clue. Plus why would I want to deal with a company that hides behind a completely different name.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2013

I went into a CCCS around 7 last evening to cash a SSI check that I had recently received. The clerk took my ID, had me sign AND put my SS number on the back of it. Then shortly proceeded to tell me that as a first time client they couldn't cash my check because I didn't have a PHONE! She also hassled me on why the check was written on the 4th and I was only cashing it now? The 17th. Like 2 weeks is that big of a deal? Actually I had just gotten it in the past couple of days. If it was 6 months old then I could see... but 2 weeks? In any event she said they couldn't cash it unless I had a viable phone number. Now on a website specifically for this store they state they will cash GA and SSI checks with Calif ID, nothing about phones. They supposedly work with homeless outreaches and I'm wondering how many homeless people have phones? Seriously?

So she says that they can use the phone number for the SRO/Hotel I live in. I give it to her. The idiot could NOT FIND IT on the internet! Holy cow! It's on my ID, I'm a disabled 60 year old there with my 21 yo daughter and hardly look like a suspicious person. After waiting for close to a half hour she ultimately told me that they couldn't do it without a verifiable phone. So what about the cashing it with Calif ID thing to help homeless people? Well, no, SHE couldn't do it. I went home and googled both names for the Hotel because it had changed names in the past few months. There it was, plain as day in numerous links under both names!

Plus how is a contact phone number going to help anything? If I were a crook do you honestly think I'd answer their calls? Or there would be a problem with a Government check? Wow. She treated me like suspicious scum. You also have to understand that I had to walk close to 2 miles r/t to get to this place and I have a degenerative joint disease. I walk with a cane very slowly and this situation is just maddening. I HATE stupid people. If I could give it no stars I would. The employee in question was a heavyset youngish black woman. I didn't catch her name but don't deal with her. She's a moron.

Original review: July 10, 2013

I visited a California Check Cashing Store on July 9, 2013. I went to purchase money orders. I had five hundred dollars cash and asked if I could purchase the rest with my debit card. The employee said yes. Upon reviewing my receipt, I noticed a charge of $8.63. I was quite puzzled so I went back in to ask the clerk what the charges were for. She explained the charges were for the purchase of the money order with my debit card.

I asked to show me in writing where it says I would be charged for using my card. She did not have an adequate answer. She just stated there was nothing they could do once the transaction has occurred. I asked her why wasn't I informed prior to use and she had no valid answer. I could have gone to the bank to get the money had I known about that fee. Fees should be discussed up prior to purchase so situations such as this will never occur. I wasted money that I did not anticipate spending.

Original review: June 19, 2013

It's afternoon that time at San Mateo, Norfolk branch. One of your staff, I don't know her name, but she is a Spanish girl, a medium-built body, little chubby. It happened on June 18 afternoon. I bought a money order check, and then I just asked her where I can see the date where I purchased the check. She said purchase with a smile. It's a big foul. I felt so humiliated and so ashamed because one of her colleagues heard what she said. It's a guy in the counter. I want to tell her that if I pronounced it wrong, she doesn't need to say it again. She said "purcheese" with a big smile in her face. I'm like a candle slowly melting because I'm so ashamed and had been humiliated. I hope the owner will see this and I hope you will teach your staff to not become a bully and give respect to your customers. I'm just hoping that you will have an action for this and it won't be erased and forgotten. Please teach your staff to respect your customers because we pay for a good service and respect is part of it.

Original review: March 12, 2013

I was not told it was going to be more than $69.00 to e-file. My refund was for $380.00. I only received $97.00. If I was properly informed, I would not have e-filed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about California Check Cashing Stores?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2013

I received a check from a person for doing an installation. Since I was given the check on Friday evening and had someone help me, I cashed it at California Check Cashing. That Sunday, my client cancelled the check because of an issue he was having (mind you, he lives about 110 miles away). Went back out there, he dropped his internet service provider and so I was not able to get his service up on the internet. Anyhow, I was given a call by a very rude person calling from California Check Cashing. She stated that my client was suing me and even gave me a name of an attorney that was representing him. She then told me that she was going to call the cops because I may have forged the check. Of course, she did speak with the owner of the check and knew he had canceled it, thus impossible for them to even accuse me of forging a check.

She called me names, got very mad at me that I didn't have the money to cover the check right then and there. Then my wife got on the phone (former bill collector) and she did give my fiancee an earful. Even told my fiancee that they will be suing her as well! I called the client up afterwards and asked him why he was suing me. The client told me he wasn't suing me, but that California Check Cashing was suing him and he got mad. End of story. I lost that client. Since then I have spoken to another friend, who I just found out that they sold her information to other people and that those people were taking little bits out of her checking account every so often, so much that she had to close her accounts with the bank she had been with for many years!

For anyone wanting to know: Community Choice Financial Inc., * 7001 Post Road, Suite 200 * Dublin, Ohio 43016 * 800-837-0381. That is the actual company name, address and phone number doing business as California Check Cashing. I find it odd that a company doing business under the name California Check Cashing Stores, that their company name is actually Community Choice Financial Inc. Their website is 99payday.com and they are operating out of Dublin, Ohio - 2,363 miles away. 35 hours driving! So California Check Cashing = 99payday = Community Choice Financial = Ohio?! That just sounds like they are trying to confuse people, doesn't it? BTW, no, I do not want an attorney to contact me.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2012

I got a title loan on a 2006 Pontiac Solstice for $2,500 for an emergency. I hesitated but the loan was described as a simple interest loan with no prepayment penalties. I told them at the physical store site that I want the automatic withdrawal to be on the second of every month. They said no problem, come in next month and change it. I did but their corporate offices continued to withdraw on the 21st. Overdrafts contributed to my account closure; predatory and severe compounding interest charges. I have paid over $2,000 in interest charges and was told over the phone that I have a $3,011 payoff. I have requested numerous times for written documentation and have not received any. I have been threatened repeatedly with repossession. I have every intent to pay what is reasonably owed. But this loan is not what was described to me.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2012

I went to cash a bill payment processed check. They refused to cash it after stamping it for deposit to their account. It was the rudest service I ever had and after all the "Oh it's okay, I have to verify," they still refused. The sign says any checks. It doesn't say any check, but mine.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2012

This is bad customer service. I went in to cash my check and they took half my check of one hundred dollars that I only had to feed my family. The lady was so rude and started arguing that I had to pay money that I owed them since 2005. I'm never going there again. They're just finding a way to take everyone's money. Their fees are so high.

Original review: April 4, 2012

I had to close out the checking account due to a fraudulent withdrawal from the account. Somehow, this company is causing me to accrue insufficient funds charges over and and over again. I had received a threatening phone call from someone who sounded like he was from India. I could barely understand him and told him to send me something in writing. The situation is anything but resolved.

California Check Cashing Stores Company Information