Bank of America Credit Cards

Bank of America Credit Cards

3.3/5 (3393 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Bank of America Credit Cards

Bank of America offers mortgage loans nationwide and has lending specialists available online and at branch locations. If you’re searching for a mortgage loan, loan refinancing or a home equity loan, visit Bank of America’s website to apply.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Bank of America Credit Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America Credit Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: March 31, 2012

I realized a year ago that interest rates went up. I have paid thousands of interest at 19.99--BMO gives me 12.9, Visa offers me 8.9 but MBNA doesn't care. Their customer service is horrible. When I called to try to work things out with them, I was told that the interest is not the problem, it's my spending. Last period, my payments were a thousand over charges. I don't need condescending remarks. I can't wait to cut my card into 100 pieces then call Visa for a great rate. I will pay my minimum payments but I will take this matter as far as I can. I called a few months ago to complain and I was told that you would match the 12.9, which did not happen--notes, all of a sudden, disappeared. Now, my goal is simple: to make Canada know how out of line MBNA is.

Original review: March 25, 2012

I cancelled a Visa Check Card and Bank of America did not cancel it. So, a recurring charge from Skype was paid causing my account to be over drafted. And it seems that the PrivacySource is only charged when it will over draw my account. When I called again and told them that I had cancelled that card, they said sorry, it wasn't cancelled and let the charge go through, and better yet I got charged twice, crazy. I need this to be fixed. What is PrivacySource for if not to settle disputes like this one?

Original review: March 22, 2012

I’m trying to get my house refinanced to a lower interest rate. I have hired a law firm to help me repair my credit. I have always had good credit until my wife passed away then I had late payments come in that month. I have been current since then. I was told by the law firm to cut what was owed in half on credit cards. I made large payments towards the balances on all credit cards.

Then Bank of America started whacking my limits which affects me again They say payment history is excellent but my credit score and other account payment history gave them no choice but to cut my limits on credit cards. This is like saying you mowed my lawn but didn’t mow the old lady down the streets so I’m not paying you for what you did for me, I’m going to punish you.

Original review: March 20, 2012

I went to the BoA credit card website Saturday, March 10th, to schedule a payment of $4,000 to pay for a recent purchase, scheduled to be processed on Wed, March 11th. However, what had happened was they took $4,000 the following business day, Monday, March 12th and again on Wed, March 14th; withdrawing $8,000 from my checking account. Luckily, my husband noticed this on Sat, March 17th.

I called BoA and was told I need my $4,000 back since their online bill pay option is haywire. Brady gave me a party line of 7-10 days. I called on Monday and asked straight for a supervisor. Marjorie reiterated 7 days but would put a "rush" on it for me. She also suggested I take a cash advance from BoA and they would graciously waive the fees associated. I called again today to speak with someone higher up. Ms. **, although understanding, could only suggest the cash advance as well.

My question is how am I supposed to pay my bills when they have removed $8,000 total from my account, $4,000 in error? I am working class, 4 kids. The only reason that kind of money was even there to begin with was I'd just gotten paid and my tax refund deposited. Now I'm at $176 total! I don't give a rat's behind about whats and whys, put my money back! Funny, they can take it, but can't put it back without an act of congress. I suggested to Ms. ** that fine, they could pay my mortgage payment coming up, since BoA owns that too!

Song and dance, I will work to change my mortgage company now, and get rid of my Bank of America card, which I am member since 2000. Now, I get to inconvenience myself, get off work early, so I can go to the bank and have them borrow money from the same people that took my money in the first place. Amazing demonstration in ineptitude!

Original review: March 13, 2012

Decreased Credit Limit: I had a BOA credit card for over 5 years. My credit limit was $14,500. I never had a late payment and always made the minimum payment and sometimes paid more than the minimum payment due. I had a family emergency and was going to use some of the money from the BOA credit card to pay for some things once I got back to my home. They cut my credit limit to $9,000 without warning and increased my interest rate for no reason at all. They did not let me know. I had a FICO of over 700 at the time and this decrease in my credit limit had a domino effect on other bills that I paid monthly.

This company is not dependable and does not reward customer loyalty. I will do as little banking with them as possible and I will tell everyone I know about their business practices. This is when everything went downhill for me. I wish that something could be done to stop their insane practices

Original review: March 12, 2012

I got a 0% introductory credit card with a $5,000.00 dollar limit in August of 2011. While I was deciding which debts to consolidate, I got a call from someone claiming to be from Bank of America to see how satisfied I was with the card. I informed them that I hadn't used the card yet and was still trying to decide how. The person told me that I should just transfer whatever money I needed from the card directly to my checking account informing me that it would still fall under my 0% introductory plan. I was pleasantly surprised to hear this and thought it similar to something I had done with Discover in the past, where they give you checks and you just fill one out and deposit it into your own account then use the money to pay whatever debt you have. I followed this person's advice and transferred the money.

6 months later, I went to pay off my card when I find over $500 in interest charges. I had been charged 24% interest on a cash advance for the entire time! When I called to get clarification, I was treated disrespectfully by the customer service representative and told I should have paid more attention. When I expressed my dissatisfaction and stated I'd like to be transferred to the cancellation department, I was made to feel devalued as a customer. I understand the responsibility falls on me but I wanted to know why they would have given me such advice in the first place.

I was told the person who called me was not from Bank of America but instead a 3rd party company who calls new customers to gauge satisfaction. I asked how to contact this 3rd party and was told they did not know who it was. I asked for a supervisor and was also told they did not know who it was but that they would attempt to find out and get back to me. They never did. It is ridiculous to think that Bank of America has a 3rd party company calling their customers and they don't know who it is. And on top of that, this 3rd party company is representing themselves as Bank of America then giving customers bad advice about accounts they know nothing of.

Original review: March 11, 2012

On March 02, 2012, I called the customer service department at the Bank of America Visa card. I notified them of my intent to travel to Argentina, Brazil and Chile for our organization. I informed Ginger that since I was close to my limit of $8,900 on the Bank of America Platinum Plus Visa, I wanted to pay down the amount such that it would give me availability to $3,000 on the card to pay for travel expenses in the above countries. I was told that that would be possible. I proceeded to tell Ginger that I was afraid that my credit limit might be decreased during my travels and that I wouldn't have access to the funds. Ginger informed me that that would not be a problem and took my payment information over the phone and posted it to my account.

I left the US on May 06, 2012 and traveled to Argentina. On March 10, 2012, I went out to dinner and I attempted to pay with the Bank of America credit card and it was denied due to insufficient funds. I emailed and called the company when I returned to the hotel and was asked to submit information for a legal authorization to increase my credit line. Please note that it had been decreased from $8,900 to $5,900 contrary to what I had been informed so I was requesting that it be kept the same per our understanding by phone. I was subsequently declined for the credit increase over the phone since I have been behind on mortgage payments and also on other accounts (not Bank of America accounts).

I received the same reply that several of the people complaining on this site have mentioned, notably that I was a valued customer but they couldn't do anything for me. I explained that I was desperate since per my explanation to customer service when I paid the $3,000 was that the Bank of America Visa card was the only card that I would be carrying with me on this trip. They insisted they could do nothing for me and now I am desperate since I do not have the funds to pay for my lodging expenses. I have been forced to call my family and friends to see if someone can front me the money since I could not settle things from here.

I have suffered a heart attack before and my blood pressure has been off the charts due to the mental anguish and aggravation that this sad episode has caused. I don't know what do to now! I would urge any potential Bank of America customers to seriously reconsider their business decision given my bitter experience in what I felt was malicious and deliberate attempt to misinform me. I cannot see it any other way. I am not a malcontent and I acknowledge that I am behind on my mortgage payments but as I had indicated to Ginger, I would not have used the Bank of America credit card for travel if I had felt that there was the slightest possibility of a credit line decrease. I would have pursued a debit card option and now I feel that I was mislead purposely.

Original review: March 7, 2012

I called BOA today to ask for a convenience check for my credit card. I have almost $6000 open on my account and perhaps may need $500 in the next month. After spending a long time on hold, I was declined. Later that day, I tried to use my credit card and it was declined. When I contacted BOA, I was told it was because I was a credit risk. This is strange since I've been a customer for years and have been using my BOA card as my primary card for a long time. I've never missed a payment or even been late. In fact, they thanked me on the phone for making on time payments. I've been making massive over payments for well over a year. BOA loved my business when it was in their favor, but now that I need their help, I get my nose slapped and the door shut in my face. Thanks a lot, BOA.

Original review: March 7, 2012

My mother opened a credit card account with BofA in 1969. She passed away last year with a card balance of about $3,000. Now, BofA claims that I was a 'co-applicant' on this account and therefore, owe the money. This is false. I was a minor at the time she opened this account and never, at any time agreed to be a co-applicant. She did make me a 2nd cardholder/authorized user several years ago, but this does not make me liable for her debt under California law.

Now, BofA has reported me to the credit bureaus as a non-payer (150 days past due) and therefore has damaged my credit! This is infuriating... it's not my credit card! BofA has dinged my credit 125 points because of this, which has caused my own bank (Chase) to withdraw my equity line of credit. This is wrong and completely unfair. I want my mother's debt to be written off and my excellent credit status to be restored. BofA is attempting to extort money from me, as far as I'm concerned.

Original review: March 6, 2012

Tonight, I called customer service, I was answered by Max. I explained the following to Max: I have a statement due on 3/9, it is showing an interest charge of $325.80. However, I paid in full the 2/9 statement. The 2/9 statement had a $315.30 interest charge because I was 8 days late on my 1/9 payment, which had a total balance of $16.12. On 1/17, I paid $16.12 and an additional $39.00 (assumed late fee charge) for a total of $ 51.12. I did not question the 2/9 billing and I paid it in full including the $315.30 without argument. However, to be charged another $325.80 based on a late payment of $16.12 from 1/9 is a little extreme. Max read a script about interest, finance, etc. At no time did Max ask what I thought the solution should be. He just kept saying the same thing over and over. In fact, he did finally say that when I made the $51.12 on 1/17, I would have needed to pay the 2/9 statement balance to avoid any fees.

I told him I went to the bank with the statement BoA sent me. I made a payment, the tellers didn't say anything and Max said, "well they wouldn't, they are just accepting payment". I asked to speak to a supervisor and at first, he refused. He also refused to provide me with his last name or employee ID. When I stated to him, "so you are refusing to allow me to talk to a supervisor?", he said "there isn't one here". I again stated, "so you are refusing to allow me to talk to a supervisor as well as refusing me your ID number or last name?". He then said, "let me see if I can find one". Ten minutes later, Jeff got on the phone and identified himself as a floor supervisor. He continued to tell me about his conversation with Max and then reiterated what Max said. I advised him, "I don't need you to tell me the same thing that Max did, I understand what he said". I explained my side once again and Jeff then decided to read the script again.

I cut him off and advised him he already said that. His response in an elevated voice was, "if you're not going to listen to what I have to say, then the interest charges are valid". I immediately asked for his employee ID and he refused. I asked for his last name and he refused. I again asked him for his employee ID and last name. He said he doesn't give that information out. I said, "well I need it for when I contact the dispute center". He finally said, "my last name starts with a W and that's all I will give you". At no point did Max or Jeff ask me what I thought was a valid resolution and I highly doubt Jeff was a supervisor by his responses. This call was tonight at 7:48 PST. We spend a lot of money through you. BoA is getting good money in processing fees, we have never defaulted and 98% of the time, we pay in full and on time.

The service I received tonight was horrible and someone at BoA should be disgusted with their team. I am disputing the interest of $325.80. I understand it's a computer that does all the calculations, but it is a human who can read between the lines and see that we made good, we were not in default and a $315.30 interest charge on a $16.12 late payment was ample, if not excessive. I am not arguing the 2/9, I accept I missed the payment. I attempted to pay the late fee, I also paid the 2/9 statement in full and on time without argument. Computers can't see that, humans can and the two humans I spoke with tonight are inept at their jobs and should not be in customer service.

Original review: March 5, 2012

I was left hanging by a supervisor Lew (would not provide his last name) after he promised to get back to me regarding an issue with my BOA AMEX account. He assured me that everything was in place to resolve the matter and that he would get back to me within 24-48 hours. After 3 days, I called him back and he was unavailable. I called back again and left another message for him to call me back, but after a week, no call. I called back another time and had to start all over again with another supervisor, spent 30 minutes on the phone with her in late December. She put me on hold for over 20 minutes and never came back on the line, so I gave up. I called back in January on multiple occasions to try and resolve the matter to no avail. This is absolutely pathetic customer service to a client who started with them in 1992 (over 20 years!). I will never do business with BOA ever again and caution anyone considering opening an account of any kind with them to consider another option.

Original review: March 4, 2012

On Friday, March 2, I asked a Mr. Andre ** to freeze any/all accounts of mine with Bank of America, until further notice. He refused. I asked for a supervisor. After a very long hold, he said he would close them, and send out a new card. When I followed it up today, March 4, a new Bank of America rep told me that no action had been taken. Both accounts are open. Therefore, Andre ** lied, and committed fraud. I want to know the exact name and address of the regulatory authority that will sanction this fraud. I will be contacting attorneys as well, regarding this despicable incident.

Original review: March 3, 2012

Bank of America credit games - Many times of the last several years, BoA has raised credit card rates to absurd levels, reduce limits and closed accounts with zero balances. It's clear they want consumers to fail. By manipulating credit scores, they back you in a corner. I will never do business with BoA. No mortgage, car loans, banking. Nothing! No wonder the occupy crowd hates them so much.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2012

Many times over the last few months I have asked for an increase in my credit limit on two credit cards with BOA. My credit score is above 760+ and I have not had any bad credit reports or delinquency issues. Today, I called and asked to have my Alaska Airlines credit card increased from $6,900 to $10,000. Instead, they wanted to just take $3,100 credit from my other Platinum credit card to make the $10k. I find this ridiculous. I make above $108,000 a year and have $44k in savings with another $30K+ in TSPs. Bank of America has continually failed to help me over the last few years and their unwillingness to help will have resulted in another lost customer. I will be closing down both my credit cards and checking/savings accounts and will be using another financial institution.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2012

Yesterday, I called Bank of America to pay off my credit card. The bill was roughly $4,400. I gave the gentleman my account and routing number, so that they could take it directly from my checking account. I was told the payment was put through, and it would come out in 1 to 2 business days. After paying that bill, I went to pay a simple gas bill. I was told my card was declined for insufficient funds. When I called the bank to inquire, they informed me that my account was overdrawn, by $40,000. It turns out the gentleman who took my payment charged my account way too much. They said they would put a stop payment on it, and not to worry about it, because it would not come out.

Lo and behold, I woke up this morning, and my checking account is in the red by about $40,000. I called them to get it fixed, and they told me that they put a stop payment on it, but it did not work, so they will put another one on. I told them, "obviously the first one did not work". I was patched to credit card services, who said they would refund the money back onto my checking account, but I will not see it, until at least Tuesday, due to the holiday weekend. In the meantime, I'm screwed with the few bills I had already floating out there. Also, because it is Saturday, none of my utility places are open for me to go to the branches, and make payments.

This has caused me so much stress and time, that I am almost sick. I will never bank with them ever in my life again. I've been a loyal customer for 5 years, and "sorry" is not enough to make me stay with this bank. Even more so, I wanted to open an account at a credit union in my city, but I cannot do that either. Since it is Saturday, again, no one is open, and the only way to open online, is to transfer funds from my current bank. Oh wait, I can't do that. Why? Because bank of America put me $40,000 in the hole! So, until at least Tuesday, financially, I am a sitting duck.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2012

I was seeking to do a balance transfer today from a very high APR card to a lower one at Bank of America. I have had a BofA card since 2009, with no issues. Anyway, I started out this morning with a $16,000 balance and 9.00% APR. Nice right? I called BofA wanting to use this card for a balance transfer. I was transferred to the credit department. They told me I had to add my wife as a co-applicant to qualify for this balance transfer based on my current income. So no problem, I told them I will make that happen. I called back an hour later to add my wife and I swear to God on my son's life... they informed me that my balance was reduced to $4,000 and my APR was 19.99 % now.

I am a full grown man and I about cried. I have never been dealt a blow like that from BofA. My only crime was that my income changed over the last few years but my credit is great. This destroyed all my plans to perform a responsible snow-ball payoff of my credit card debt. Not to mention that credit balance reduction will lower my credit score and make it harder to find a lower interest card. Some advice: If a Bank of America representative wants to transfer you to the credit department... hang up!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2012

I started with BofA in 1979. In 2009, I had a checking account, saving account, vehicle loan and credit card account with them. I had never made a late payment or had any credit issues. That year, I made a $5,000 purchase on my credit card which had a $20,000 limit. Within two months, they had dropped my limit to $10,000. When I called to find out why, I was told everyone was doing this and they were just following the industry standard. The following month it was dropped to $7,500 and the interest rate went up. Again, I called and received the exact same answer. So they penalized me because they could. I paid half the debt and again they dropped the limit.

By 2010, I had had it with them. On 08-06-10, I requested the payoff on everything, issued payment in full on all accounts with a balance the same day and closed every account I had with them. In Jan of 2011, I found out they had been reporting me past due since September 2010 on the credit card and they were showing I owed them over $440. I had not received even one statement during this time. I have spent hundreds of hours on the phone, writing letters and even going to the branch that issued the card, to no avail. They have ignored every request to validate this debt.

Every phone call has ended up with them transferring me to at least five different divisions, including the fraud division only to have everyone tell me they can't explain what happened and eventually putting me on hold and disconnecting me.They don't care if they violate the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Every registered letter has been ignored. The branch flat out told me they would not be held responsible for any issues to do with the card because they aren't responsible for their credit card services. My only hope now lies with the Attorney General's office. Don't walk away from BofA, run!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2012

In December 2011, I was notified that a suspicious charge was on my account. At that that time I spoke with a Mr. D at Bank of America. It turned out it was a charge that I had not authorized. Mr D suggested the easiest thing to do was to cancel my account which I have had since 1979 and get me a new account number, which was done.

When I go online, it shows the new account number and the correct balances. However, BoA has not sent the physical card to me. I have spoken by telephone with them, I have emailed them, and I have out and out lied to. I have been told the card was sent via USPS, sent via overnight mail. I asked the card be sent overnight so I am certain to receive it.

I reside in Thailand, and have never had a problem like this before. My last response from BoA was I needed to call them again. Can you help resolve this problem? If not, can you please get me the person's name who is in charge of BoA's Credit Card Dept.? If having an attorney would help, then please have one contact me.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2012

I had a BOA credit card for over 6 years. My credit limit reached a high of $18,500. For the last 3 years I carried a full balance. I never had a late payment and always made the minimum payment and did not use the card at all till I had paid down my balance owed to $13,500. They cut my credit limit to $13,500 without warning. Ok that was annoying but it was just after the economy crashed so I didn't complain. I just paid my card off in full this month January 2012. 12 hours later they closed my account. They did not let me know. I have a FICO of over 700 and the only bills I have now are some small medical bills and car payment. I found out when Sirus sent me an email saying my auto-deduct payment was declined. This company is undependable and does not reward customer loyalty. I will do as little banking with them as possible and I will tell everyone I know about their business practices.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2012

I was confused about the amount of interest I was being charged on my credit card and I had both an agent and a manager explain to me that I was being charged my APR each month. They were explaining that out of every $100 of balance I owe, I was paying $16.24 each month, when in fact that is not true. In fact, I am paying a daily rate which is 16.24/365 X number of days in the billing cycle. I asked the manager, Patti, to calculate for me the actual interest rate charged on the monthly statement so I could understand how it was calculated, but she couldn't do it. She didn't understand how to do the calculation and then proceeded to tell me (with a raised voice) that it is my responsibility to understand the terms and agreements, and not theirs. I explained that I understand it's not their responsibility to manage my finances, but it is their fiduciary responsibility to be able to explain and advise the financial terms accurately and in a manner that I will understand. She said it's not.

My complaint is that how can financial professionals be put in these positions and not understand how to explain such an important product? But for my probing and research, I would have been led to believe something that was incorrect. This is alarming to me and I hope more stringent regulations are put in place that police the activity of professionals that don't know what they are saying. This has to be one of the reasons our country is in a financial hole right now. Yes, I think we must all understand and manage our own financial info but shouldn't our financial advisers be held to the higher standard of financial understanding so they can accurately relay that knowledge to the consumer?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2012

I have automatic withdraw from my bank account. So I simply change my monthly payment to the minimum amount via mail and they received and acknowledged. They impose a $25 late fee to my surprise. I always have money on my account and B of A still did not remove the $25 late fee! Question: why B of A imposed that late fee?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2012

I paid for Credit Protection Plus for many years on BOA credit card. I had moved to another state and gotten work as a dispatcher at the county sheriff's office. We were assured that we had jobs and that the economy would not be a risk factor. Three months later, I was laid off with two other dispatchers. I then returned to my home state and applied to BOA Credit Protection Plus for unemployment and was denied because I had not worked at that job long enough and was, therefore, not qualified for unemployment benefits. I did not get upset and understood this decision.

I continued to look for work. I actively sent out resumes for my previous type of work, which was as a medical transcriptionist. I actively continued to seek work until July 2011. Then at the end of July 2011, after many years of continuing declining health, I applied for Social Security Disability. I had heard that it took years to get and most people required a lawyer. I sent paperwork that I had, along with diagnoses given to me with lab work and received my Social Security Disability in 3.6 months. I immediately called Credit Protection Plus. They said that their rules were that I had to have been disabled within 7 days of my last job. I told them I had been laid off.

They said that were their rules. I actually had been disabled longer than that, but had continued to work through the pain I spoke with my doctor and he agreed that I had been disabled at least that long if not longer and he filled out a form for me stating such. I was then denied because the date was over 300 days past the date I reported it; therefore, I was ineligible. When I tried to send the date given to me by Social Security as the date my disability began of 04/21/2011, they would not accept that, stating that a physician's date was all that could be used. Therefore, I have paid for Credit Protection Plus for approximately 4 years with nothing to show for it. Tell me, what was done wrong here? I continued to search for work and even told them this. They ignored that fact.

I then wrote Brian T. Moynihan, the President and CEO, who assigned an "advocate" for me. This man's name was Michael **? He spoke with me once on the phone, put me on hold and came back and told I was not eligible. I was never informed about the "over 300 days" rule prior to the time I applied for my credit protection plus. I told Michael that "I hope you can sleep at night because you know that I am disabled and you are not being an advocate at all.” About ten minutes later he phoned back offering to let me have a "few months" of no payments for my move to another state (also over 300 days ago). I do not understand this. They are willing to let me have a few months for a move, which was performed over 300 days ago, but would not honor my permanent disability over 300 days of reporting? This is all more of the same greed that I have heard about on the news concerning Bank of America. No attorneys can help me with this because I have no money!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2012

I called Bank of America when I became unemployed to discuss with them my situation and work out a plan that they would be satisfied with during the few months I would not be able to make my normal payment. They were very nice and told me about a program they had that were for people in my situation. They would lower my monthly payment with the agreement that they would close my two cards so I could not use them and they would draft the monthly payments directly from my checking account to ensure they got their payment. They ensured me that this way this situation would not affect my credit. They withdrew the money every month and I was completely satisfied with the plan.

I went to apply for a home loan and the loan officer informed me that Bank of America is reporting that I was 90 days late on both cards on the program I worked out with them. I called them, furious about the situation and all they said was that other people had complained about the same thing and there was nothing I could do but write them in writing and hopefully they would remove it from my credit. They said that what happened was that the representative that set up my plan had created a draft date on my checking account that was after the payment was actually due, so as a result my payment was late every month. I have had no response from Bank of America about either card and am unable to buy a home or get a low interest rate on a car loan because of it.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2012

I called to inquire about my transfer options. I had recently paid off $6200 of the $12200 balance. After answering a couple questions, the woman cut my credit limit $14000. I have a credit score in the high 700's, I've never been late with these people. The supervisor, Amy Edwards, stated that hit had nothing to do with my record as a customer and strictly about the numbers.

So, my tax dollars bail them out and they squeeze me. Bank of America is the worst institution of all the banks out there. I plan on paying off the remaining balance and closing the account. If they try to talk me out of it I swear I'll scream. People should stay as far away from this bank and their financial products as possible. The lawsuit against them for their mortgage practices is just the start.

Bank of America is out to ruin the United States of America.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2012

I was out of town for 6 months, and was not able to arrange for the credit card payment of around $30. I came back and called BOA credit card. A/C was blocked (which was fine), and the balance was $240. I requested the account to not charge the fees for late payments, etc, as I was not in town, and no family member was there to take care of the balance. I was informed that it was an oversight. I was advised to make the account current, by paying in full, so that the bank could restart the account and then refund the fees. That was done immediately.

When I asked the bank to do other things, like reopen the account and refund the fees, the bank said that they could not do either. I was transferred to several departments, and the result was it is not possible. When questioned about the statement of the previous agent about the process, the answer was the bank would try to do this, but it was known that it was not possible to do anything.

The bottom line is that, the bank did not inform me that it was not possible to do anything, and that I had to make the payments, or face the consequences, but I was misinformed that it could be worked out. This is improper, and the bank misrepresented to me all the facts, and did not tell me that the bank had no options but to collect the dues in whatever manner, and there were no options of reopening or crediting the account with the fees charged. This is misrepresentation.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2012

I got an offer for a Bank of America credit card with an introductory rate of 0.9% for 6 months, given that there were no late payments. After that, the interest would go up according to payment history, etc. I paid every month, on time. On the 6th month, I received a statement saying that my last payment was 2 days late, therefore, my interest was being set at 23.99%. What?

I had mailed in the check 9 days in advance of the due date and told them so. I am totally convinced that they kept my payment until it would be late so they could up my interest. After repeated calls to Bank of America, telling them I know it doesn't take 9 days for a first class letter to go from Michigan to Delaware, they told me to "prove that it arrived on time." I told them to "prove it didn't".

I then informed them that I could not make the higher payment, to which they told me, "Well, you'd better or we will garnish your wages." At that time, I had no wages due to disability and my boyfriend was paying my bills, his bills and supporting our 2 kids. We just didn't have $97.00 a month to spare. After these conversations, which went round and round, I was then given to a lovely man named **. What a jerk.

He threatened, belittled, insulted, and name-called. I was call a 'deadbeat', 'loser', 'burden to society' (WTF! I had been working all my life, starting at the age of 13!) and "People like you are the reason the US is in the state we are in. You think you can just rack up all these bills and not have to pay them. You are going to jail for this, honey." He then proceeded to ask about my disability and I asked him did he have an MD's license.

I repeatedly demanded to speak to his supervisor, to which he replied, "He won't help you. Who do you think trained me?"' Eventually, after a year of harassment from **, I was sent a letter to settle the debt from $4,500 to $1,200. Promptly after I received the letter, ** called and assured me that he didn't make the offer because he wouldn't waste any effort in helping a, "deadbeat like you." I told him I could not come up with that amount in one fell swoop and he asked if I had any friends or family that could loan it to me, and I said no.

He then said, "Oh, I see. They are a bunch of losers like you." This man was an abomination and I want to know if this kind of harassment is even legal. I tried calling the number hoping to get someone else, but as soon as I said my name, I was transferred to him again.

This all started 5 years ago and for the last 2 years, I have not received any letters, collection notices, nothing... until a sheriff arrived at my door with a summon from them. They have not contacted me in 2 years to try and settle this but sure can find my address to serve me. My family has always banked with Bank of America since I can remember. Stupidly, I trusted that they were honest and above consumer fraud, which I fully believe they did. Even if the payment was late, which I know it was not, that still doesn't justify raising the interest to 23.99%.

What a scam. I am totally disgusted with them. The government should demand the bailout money they gave them for failure of proper business practices.

Bank of America and **, you suck! And you people are the reason the country is the way it is today, not me and the other poor suckers you are scamming. If you practiced honest banking, you could save millions on lawsuits, collection agencies and court fees. Duh!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2012

I purchased this plan in the mid 90's to ensure my family would not have to bear financial problems in the event I became unable to pay existing credit card payments. I faithfully paid all the extremely high charges added to my credit card for this protection. I became disabled in the early 2000's and I filed for a claim. Now I am being sued for interest that the insurance company did not honor.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2012

They first keep mailing you checks every week, saying that 0 interest on balance transfer. I was first very cautious about it considering the whole picture of the bad economy. Finally, I decided to do a $15000 transfer. I called a number to confirm. The guy told me he can do it online, you do not have to go to the bank to deposit the check. I agreed and paid $600 transaction fee. Later, I found they charged me at the rate of 17%. I called them, they insist that I do not have promotion on the transaction. Now I have to pay the money back and close the account, no one would borrow money at the rate of 17% these days. But, Bank of America robbed me about $1000 in two months ( $600 plus two months interest).

Original review: Jan. 11, 2012

Same as people above, had about $150 accumulated over past 1 year, I finally noticed it and contacted them. I asked them to credit me for the entire amount as I never signed up for this. They called and I said yes. Keep your word and stick to it and say no you didn't. I get transferred to a supervisor and she offers $30 credit to let it go. You say no and they demand for the proof that you said yes, as they will say they can prove you that you said yes.

I had no call from them for 2 months. I file a fraud investigation via MBNA. I talked to a supervisor again at Infoprotector and she says they will open the investigation which should have been opened 2 months ago, to find the phone record that I said yes.

I got a call today and was reimpursed for the entire $150. So this is a organized and legal scam they are running and they are well prepared to take such calls. It seems they have a policy to handle such calls as they are very common. Stick to your word and demand proof and they will either have to prove the you are wrong or else give you your money back!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2012

Someone stole my identity and BOA accepted my $6000 deposit but they put it into the "other" person's account instead. Finally got that straightened out, but then the "other" person got a credit card under my name too and I filed all the necessary paperwork with the police, etc. However, though BOA wiped out my debt for the credit card in my name they turned the balance over to a collection agency in my name. Now I am getting demand notices for a credit card I never had. I cannot get this "other" me's balance off my credit bureau!

Bank of America Credit Cards Company Information