Bank of America Credit Cards
1.06/5

Bank of America Credit Cards

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1688 Bank of America Credit Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 6, 2018

My account was closed after a representative call me on my bill due date at work and I told her I would pay it when I got home; which I did. Two days later I received a letter stating my account was closed for the following reasons: My credit score was too low (It was 733 at the time); Current trends in the market dictated my closure; and a few other trivial reasons. So I paid my balance. My next statement showed another interest charge on a balance of $0.90. How is that possible? The customer service agent started the conversation by saying she was going to go back a year worth of my statements. This company is devious. Counts on people not having the time or money to fight them.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I have had a Bank of America credit card for 18 years, have never missed a payment, and have a credit limit of $31,200. On May 11th my wife went to Ottawa, Canada. I filled in all details of her trip (dates and times, airlines flown, layovers on flight, hotel name - everything). When she tried to pay for a service fee with Air Canada, the transaction was declined. For $129 dollars. I intervened and used another Bank of America card (my corporate travel card) and it went through. When I contacted BofA, they could provide no reason why the transaction was declined, why the details in the Travel Advice made no difference, or why another BofA card worked and our didn't. The 2nd phrase out of the Customer Service rep's mouth was "I'm sorry for the declined transaction, fraud is a really big problem but I can't tell you why the transaction was declined".

Today, tried to book tickets to go to a water park 50 miles from my house, for $485 bucks. Transaction was declined. This time, home phone rings, and they want to confirm my identity. Asked for (and I'm not making this up) the CVV code on the card, my user id for logging in to my BofA account, my PASSPORT number (are you kidding me!!), and answered a series of questions on what my college sports mascot was, what type of vehicle I might have leased or owned, and what companies I might have worked for or been "associated" with.

Again, the Customer Service representative could provide no information on why the transaction was declined other than to say "We experience a lot of fraud, so have to be careful." And, my favourite, "I'm just the customer service representative, I'm not responsible for making the policies". So, I'm cancelling my account. I have no troubles with any of my other cards - Chase, Wells Fargo etc. with any transactions. B of A is clueless about how to keep longtime customers. Have fun y'all.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: June 26, 2018

Had a fraud case, has extra fees on credit card, had a broken card... And I waited on hold more than 45 minutes for each of these issues. I sat down at a gas station waiting for the fraud department to pick up for over an hour so that I could get gas for my car and get home. Cause guess what, they had canceled my card early that morning. Zero anticipation of how financial services might be urgent necessities for customers. They didn't even respond to my complaint email that I sent 3 business days ago.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Bank of America left me homeless!!! Then the Bank of America manager told me she would keep an eye on my account and when I emailing her for help she did nothing!!! Sorry she did something...LIED TO MY FACE WHEN SHE SAW ME COMING TO THE BANK SAYING OF, “I WAS GOING TO CALL YOU.” But this was after waiting 72 hrs. We closed out my credit card 6/12 and then it magically appear again today on my online. I was told it was an error as the account has a credit on it as such it could not be closed out. They just processed by credit and closed out card today. And now I have to wait 7-10 business days for my money. When I opened the account it took less than 1 hour for them to take my money.

Also I called customer service about depositing 2 money order, after clearing the money order 3 weeks later they bounce the money order. When I asked if they saw notes on my account over the phone the rep said yes. Of course now they can find notes and I am 100% at fault. To add insult to injury less than 30 days account they allow a hotel to take fees out 3x's in one day, and I have to wait for them to look into it. When I asked why this duplicate wasn't caught they again said, “I don’t know.” THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. THEY ARE THIEVES!!! RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!

Original review: June 18, 2018

I have been a customer of BOA for over 15 yrs. I have a mortgage with BOA as well as a credit card. In all my 15 yrs of being a BOA customer, I've never made a late payment. I missed my 1st payment by 3 days and when I realized it, I paid it immediately. I then phone BOA customer service and requested a 1 time courtesy adjustment of the late payment penalty. According to the supervisor Twana @ BOA because BOA wasn't the one who made the error with the payment, they would NOT waive the penalty. This the most horrible excuse I've ever heard from any banking company.

I understand me forgetting to pay my bill. It was my error. However yrs. of paying on time and above the minimum means absolutely nothing with BOA. Had I know this was how longstanding customers get treated I would have never applied for any services with BOA. This is a huge eye opener for me. Moving forward I will be seeking a new mortgage company as well as a new credit card lender. This is a matter of principle, courtesy and respect which BOA knows nothing about. I highly recommend to anyone thinking of becoming a BOA customer don't do it, steer clear of the headache and misery they will bring to your life and credit history.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: June 14, 2018

Three months ago, I signed up for investment service. On the website where I signed up, it had a CLEAR refund policy. It was on their site and I copied it. I tried to cancel and get my money back, pursuant to the refund policy and the company said NO. I went through the credit card fraud services, and called them at least three times and sent them copies of website return policy. Very, very clear that I was due a refund. The Bank of America team, did not read my response, did not ask for clarification and ultimately said they couldn't read my copies and then said it was too late to do anything. I am extremely disappointed. This was simple and I would rate the fraud dept review process as a failure. I hoped they would advocate for me as their client. They actually seemed to work for the fraudulent merchant. Very dissatisfied and would encourage others to go to another card company.

Original review: June 13, 2018

In 1990 I was in college and our national sorority did a fundraiser if we signed up with Bank of America (BoA). I was 17/18 years old and my mother had to co-sign to open. In 2010, I faxed my mother's death certificate to BoA to remove her from my account. 28 years, a customer of BoA. I have always paid the balance IN FULL every time (with a few paid in full late - paid with late fee). This past year, I noticed my father's name starts to appear as a second name on my bill and he, alone, starts to receive mail from BOA. Then he starts getting calls to my cell phone. I would state that they had the wrong number... because they HAD the Wrong Number.

After the fifth call, I said this is not his number but he is my father, what did they need? "We need to verify his information for the credit card account." I replied that he had nothing to do with my account - unless he unknowingly was added when my mother passed. He needed to be removed. We discussed a while but it just didn't feel right or make sense to me. Worried this was a scam, I called BoA to share concern. As far as I'm concerned, no company or person should be asking for his SS# related to MY credit card account. I was told this was a new policy and because he was on the account the only way to remove a co-person was for him to be on the phone with me to verify his info and answer questions - giving permission to remove him. I shared he was hard of hearing, then called him on speaker from another phone so all could hear.

After the BoA rep sped through their script and I repeatedly had to repeat for my dad, my dad could not understand. It was so frustrating for my dad and self that after 15 minutes we told them to mail whatever paperwork was needed to remove him from the account. Received paperwork to MY home address. To remove him, he needed to provide a W9, SS#, verify an address and sign/date form. He lost paperwork while in the process of closing on his home and then went to Florida for two weeks.

Card gets declined last week - a $20 dinner so next day, I called to inquire. It was on hold and the person said that dad needed to answer specific questions and if we called back together, we could lift the hold on account and get him removed. The rep gave me a specific number to call back with my dad and bypass the general number, then he extended the card until today, June 13. Last night, June 12, we called # with father. The "qualifying questions" included his address and phone number. Mind you, he has lived in the same house for 46 years until this past year. Never MY HOME that I've owned since 1999.

When he gave the only two addresses that HE has lived in KY, they said that was not what they had in the system. I then thought that maybe the address I lived in when the card was opened which was a house my parents owned in early 90s as a rental may be in the system and The rep said those addresses were not correct. Eventually, I realized that they were asking him for MY home address and MY cell phone as if it was his information...??? I repeatedly shared that this did not make any sense.

I was told by two different people at different times that my options were to physically go into a Bank of America where he could show his License to the person and they could remove. WE DO NOT have BoA in our state. Several people we spoke to read the "script" repeating that I needed to go into a service center to which I again said we do not have one. I have owned my home since 1999 - in FULL for the last 10 years or so and I paid in FULL for my car. I have good credit, a $19,000 credit limit on this card, job, portfolio of investments... What is going on?

Again, my dad has NEVER submitted his information to BoA. To keep account extended and open until paperwork was received and processed, they said the only way to keep it open was for him to submit a W9 to prove he was him since he couldn't go into a service center. Gave me fax number to send W9 and suggested I call 24-48 hours later to ensure they received. If (IF) their system could verify he was who he said he was, then we may be able to not block card until the paperwork could be received and mailed back. Why in the world does BoA need his SS# and want to know his income - retirement, investments, social security? We are trying to remove HIM. He has never made a payment to that CC nor has he ever used it!

All I can think of is that I am not making BoA money because I pay off the card every statement so this must be an attempt to make it so difficult to cause me to close my account. That is what I plan to do. Close the account once I pay the remaining balance. I am not unnecessarily sharing my father's SS#. A policy is a policy and I get that but there must be room for common sense! The square peg does not fit in the round hole and never will. I cannot keep hammering.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I am writing in reference to a charge off placed on my credit report. I received a 7 year loan from BOA in 2007 (on my credit report this is listed as an overdraft/reserve checking account). I noticed some very large discrepancies. I was charged almost $18k over the loan limit. This is an unfair practice due to the fact the BOA added excessive fees and interest to the loan. I applied for the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) which I was eligible and was turned down by BOA. I went to several branches of BOA in Columbus, GA. I also called and emailed several different people to resolve this issue with no avail. August 2013, this false account information was sent to collections.

It has been almost 10 years and I am still receiving correspondence from BOA in reference to this loan. (This is illegal!) The statute of limitations expired on this loan 3 years ago. (The loan was taken out in South Carolina). My credit report states that my last payment was Oct 2013. It also states that my last payment was August 2013 (no consistency). In August 2014, I received a check from BOA for $25,885.96 with a letter stating there was a mistake and I overpaid. After this occurred I contacted BOA several times (again) so this can be removed from my credit report. The BOA rep refused to remove this from my credit report stating that I was paying into a “phantom account”. They have no record of any of my payments, nor the check sent by BOA. I tried to explain to her that this account has had several different account numbers and no consistency.

During the last conversation with BOA the creditor also stated that I expressed that I wanted to close that line of credit which was preposterous and untrue. I did not have the authority to do such a thing. The account number changed several times as well as their story. The rep was rude and she kept raising her voice. I was transferred 3 times and no one even knew what I was talking about when I called. These practices are illegal and the account numbers have since been deleted (from my credit report) since I spoke with the last rep. That in itself is admission of fraud. Can you please help me? All I am asking is that this charge off be removed from my account. I have attached the check sent to me as well as several other documents that all show different dates.

1) Why would an account have several different account numbers?
2) If I owed money, why would BOA send me a check stating there was an error?
3) Why is this saying that I was paying months after the account was closed?
4) Why is there no proof of any of my payments?

5) How did BOA lose all of my payment records?

Original review: June 11, 2018

Second time opening an account with Bank of America. Complete disappointment in their lack of professionalism and consumerism. Missed 1 payment due to the fact that they failed to let me know it takes 2 billing cycles before automatic payments occurred. Spoke with a credit specialist and customer support to try and fix the issue. I was mislead with incorrect information once again.

The customer representative said it was their fault they waived the fees, and then transferred me to credit support for a dispute. Donna (credit specialist) told me because they waived the fees, I would not qualify for the option to have the hard inquiry removed from my credit, according to her it was it was either or not both. I escalated it to a manager, Alexis, very rude unhelpful. In the end said she would not remove it. I did not even receive a phone call, or any type of notification prior to the late payment marked on my credit report. Second time having issues with Bank of America, first time I closed my debit account with them indefinitely. Proven they are thieves and a dishonest business. Definitely not fair in lending.

Original review: May 29, 2018

We got a credit card with Bank of America and have had nothing but trouble. We got it for 0% on purchases. Our first experience using the card they blocked it. We found out at the register with a cart full of groceries. Yeah it wasn’t fun and embarrassing that a card with a 25k limit is denied for a couple hundred in groceries at a local supermarket. Then when we called to ask what was wrong it only got worse. We talked to 5 representatives who would verify our identity then pass us off to someone else only to have to do it again. They provided misinformation about why the card was locked multiple times.

After an hour or more on the phone a representative that calls herself a supervisor said she would send a recommendation to training about the previous employees and tell us that it takes 6 months to learn your spending so this will continue to happen. Then she pulls the “I think the line is breaking up. Can you hear me click”. Just to hang up on you intentionally after an hour long phone call. The entire time you can hear the customer service representatives laughing and joking about your situation. I would suggest they make sure the phone is muted before they talk poorly about the customers who provide you with a job. The whole thing is one big joke to them and it’s always another department or person that should handle call. If you want a credit card you have to wait on hold for hours to get permission to buy gas or groceries this is for you.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have had a $300 secured credit card from this bank of disaster. I always have a problem and it was always a big hassle every time I needed to purchase something for more than 300 dollars. So BofA suggested a credit increase so I apply for a credit increase. And they decline it!!! Tell me to apply but then decline. I just got CAPITAL ONE card for 700 with bad credit, not secured either!!! And... if I make 5 minimum payments they will increase my limit from 700. Not only do I have money and available credit on my card it was declined STILL! I have an available balance of 109.04 and the card was declined. Biggest joke ever.

This bank is the worst ever. I know not one person that prefers Bank of America. On top of having a declined transaction from the card to make matters worse, I'm getting charged a late fee from the bill I was supposed to pay with my card. Just unfreaking believable. The biggest circus ever. GET IN LINE IF YOU WANT TO GO FOR A RIDE.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I paid my credit card balance completely off in April. But paid interest charges in May and now June. When I contacted the bank they stated the balance had to be paid off for 2 additional months after pay off, but could not describe why I was paying the additional interest. Thiefs.

Original review: May 17, 2018

This is the worst credit card I’ve ever had. They canceled one of my cards without notice, then sent me an offer to take the cash rewards card and I like an idiot agreed. What a mistake. They made me pay 99$ deposit with good credit and gave me a 500$ limit which was 2500 less than what I had on the previous card that was initially a secured visa that I had made consistent payments with a positive payment history. Seems like predatory lending to me. This bank is just as shameless as Wells Fargo. Thanks for closing my account and good riddance.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I had a BOA card through Interval International. I cancelled the card over 3 years ago and paid off the balance in December 2017. When I paid the final balance I called the company by phone, spoke with a live person and paid what I owed. Since then every month they send me a bill for Fees and then more fees and interest on the fee charged. I called last month. Spoke with a live person and she stated I owed because I didn't pay the correct pay off amount. After arguing I paid the 21.21 and she assured me no more bills. This month I received a bill for 1.50. A fee charge!!! I called, stayed on hold for 30 minutes without being able to speak with anyone. What kind of crooks are these! Something has to be done!

Original review: May 15, 2018

Over a year ago, we were on a company paid vacation. The resort asked to put a card on file, we gave them our Bank of America card. Two days after we left the resort two charges were made to the card. One was an accidental charge that the resort has corrected. However, the largest of the charges, the resort has no record of charging. As soon as we got notice of the charges we started a dispute with Bank of America. We were bounced around between billing disputes and the fraud department opening claims in both. For the past year we have been on the phone with Bank of America weekly. They continue to deny the claim and are holding us to these bogus charges. They kept “working with us” but then we would get a denial letter the following week. Now they are saying we didn’t start a dispute in time so it’s our responsibility to pay it. They have been awful to work with.

I have never had a credit card company not have the customer's back in dealing with this kind of issue. I have had fraud charges a couple times with other banks and it has never been an issue, I make one call and it’s resolved immediately. This has caused us a lot of stress for a year and having past payments on our account is affecting our credit. However I can’t in good conscience pay the charges knowing they are not real charges. If we had made the purchases we would gladly pay them, but we didn’t and it’s not right we get stuck with this huge bill. I would tell everyone I know about our experience and discourage anyone from ever opening any sort of account with Bank of America. This is the worst banking experience I’ve ever encountered. We are at present still fighting them on the charges.

Resolution response: May 12, 2018

Bank of America processed a credit for the disputed amount.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I called Bank of America two days after receiving a $59 annual fee and asked if they would waive the fee. I spoke to two representatives who assured me I would receive a $59 credit if I closed my account. They said it was the only way to have the fee waived. One month later, I still had not received the $59 credit so I called BOA again. The representative said he could not waive the fee, despite being told to close the account to get the credit back. I then spoke to his supervisor who refused to give me the $59 credit, even though I closed my account at the BOA reps advice. This is terrible customer service. I now owe $59 for a credit card that is closed and unusable. I will never use BOA again, nor will I recommend them to anyone else for any banking needs. Very poor customer service.

Original review: April 30, 2018

In over 10 years of having 2 credit cards with Bank of America I have never once disputed a transaction. I charge significant amounts between my business and personal cards each month. I recently disputed a mere $64 transaction where the company used bait and switch, (They advertised a expensive product but then shipped a different quantity of a cheap inferior product.). After multiple attempts to contact the company, I naturally disputed the charge and provided Bank of America all the order confirmations and invoices showing what I ordered was clearly not what I received. Bank of America's claim department was the worst I have ever seen in all my years. They "lost" my documentation and then recovered it but not without denying my claim first.

I then received a 3 page letter from Bank of America detailing how I would need an independent expert merchant to inspect and verify that the merchandise was different. The letter came in the mail and it said I had 1 day to have the letter back to Bank of America before the case was closed! BOA said they needed a formal letter on letterhead by an "expert" in the merchandise I ordered along with multiple other documentation I had already submitted. It took the BOA rep 15 minutes to locate my previous sent material when I called. The rep was rude and indifferent and did not treat me as a Bank Of America customer with the slightest amount of respect. He was completely unable to tell me how to locate an "expert" on the vitamins I had ordered.

The rep snarkily used an illustration that if I ordered expensive pair of blue sneakers and got cheap pair of red sneakers sent to me instead I need an expert in sneakers to write a letter verifying one was red and one was blue. In other words Bank Of America claims department has no interest in supporting or helping their customers who are clearly victims of fraud. I am promptly cancelling both my personal and business credit cards due to "Patrick" the claims representatives unprofessional and rude behavior with Bank of America. I even had my husband speak to a manager who was even more impotent and unapologetic than Patrick. It was clear that they cared nothing for us as customers and whether we cancelled the cards or not.

Original review: April 20, 2018

My son is an authorized user on my account. He wanted to use the card for a trip he's going on, so I went online and did a travel notification. The card was declined on the first day of the trip. I called and, after the frustration of finally being able to talk to a person, found out that when they ask for the destination, they really want ALL the states he'd be traveling through. So, I edited the notification, including all the states he'd be traveling through. Later that day, he texted me that it had been declined again, in one of these states. I braced myself and called again, only to be told they had no idea why it was declined - was the merchant's call. But they did accept his debit card, so go figure. I got no help, just "I understand your frustration."

Original review: April 13, 2018

I was sent a proposal to apply for a new card with 0% interest. During the application process I submitted 3 balance transfers, these were accepted by BofA. It appears now that only one has been accepted and I assume the other 2 were rejected. They do not show up on the balance transfer status page. I did not receive any notice of the rejection. BofA reduced my other credit card limits significantly without my approval or prior notice. The new 0% interest card has such a low credit limit it is totally useless.

The proposal for the card application did not mention any negative actions as a result of applying for this card. I read through the fine print on the application and nothing was mentioned about rejecting my balance transfers requests or significantly reducing my current credit limit without notice because I submitted their credit card application. That was information I would have found necessary in determining to apply for the new card or not. I think BofA is a fraud and I'm proceeding with a formal complaint process with the authorities.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I have been a self-employed contractor for 15 years. BOA was one of the first credit cards I opened for my business purchases. Over the many years I have, for the most part, carried a balance and have always made regular payments to the account (unless I forgot, and paid their late fees). My account was recently paid down to a $0 balance (yeah me!).

A recent statement from BOA and their refusal to lend money to certain gun manufacturers really struck a nerve with me, so I decided to cancel my card and account outright and cut my ties to BOA. When I called them to notify them I was no longer going to do business with them as a result of their decision, I was informed that my credit line was revoked as well. Seriously? I never received any notification that my account was being closed by them for any reason. Is this how you handle a customer of 15 years? That's sad. I guess they don't need (or want) my business.

Original review: April 10, 2018

We have been with BofA since 1990, never late. Perfect credit. We took our Visa with us to outside the country for all expenses. While on day 3 of 8 day vacation we learned that they closed our card. The reasons make zero common sense. They said they sent us a request for information two months in a row. Before October, which apparently is when they closed it unknowingly to us. (We hadn’t used it for anything.) We seriously never got it and yet our bill comes monthly showing correct information and available credit amount available. Nowhere does it show “closed”. Then there are the two times since October that we called and spoke to a live person. They never mentioned it. Then there is the fact; I walk in each month to pay my bill at the counter. They never informed me either. I show my driver's license each time through the drop window.

I had to pay 2 hrs of international time to discover they had now decline us to reinstate because it was closed in October for the above reason; “missing information.” I don’t understand. We have not changed jobs or homes or contact information for over 15 years. No phone calls. Nothing. We had identity theft a few years ago and notified all the organization we were required to do so with including BofA. So now there is misreporting on our credit so they declined from reinstating us or issuing us a new card. Omg! Horrible... We are stranded and Charles, Al **, Cameo **, Kashi, Jessica, all of BofA Are aware we are stranded, and “I’m sorry, there is nothing we can do for you” is all we can get?

We’ve been with the bank since the 80s this card since the 90s. We can now not pay our room in a foreign country and have 5 days to go hungry and homeless... I trusted my bank, “Bank of America”, we again, have never missed a payment, we have been married for 35 years. Clearly we are loyal customers who kept our end of the deal but they cheated on us... We aren’t flight risks. They are aware of our situation and after all these years??? They are deserting us on our vacation 15 hours away by plane from our home in a foreign Country. I’m have a stress attack! Help!!! This right here is a perfect example of what’s wrong in this world today. Pull your money out. They can’t be trusted.

Original review: April 4, 2018

If I could give them 0 stars I would. We send them a payment every two weeks to keep our card paid off. We sent them a payment from our bank, the money withdrew from our checking account BUT Bank of America put a HOLD on the payment. I did a 3 way call with them and the bank assured them the funds were in the account and were actually already withdrawn from our account (it was an electronic payment. No check). YET BOA still has a hold on the payment and will not credit the money into our account and cannot explain the hold.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I have an BOA visa card. I have it on an auto-pay. It worked fine, then suddenly stopped working. I was traveling in Asia: the online banking access also stopped working. When I got back home, I had 2 letters from BOA implying that payment was overdue. As I couldn't check online, I called. After a little over 20 minutes wait time, I got an agent who checked and said, no, I didn't owe them anything; in fact they owed me $500 for overpayment. She couldn't do anything about the online banking access issue and transferred my call, which put me back in the waiting queue. After a wait of 30 minute, I gave up.

The next day, I started again. The first agent told me I didn't have an account (!!?) and yes, they owed me money. I pointed out that I had two letters from BOA/visa with my account number on them - and had just received a check from BOA. We were able to agree that yes, I had an account... but she couldn't tell me why/how it had been cancelled and went off to get an answer. On hold again, the call was dropped.

I started again. Another 25 minutes in the wait queue. I got another agent and we were able to agree that yes, I had an account, it had been canceled. She had no idea why and put me on hold while she found out. (time passes) She came back, but had the wrong account number. We started again with the correct number. I asked her to take down my phone number in case the call was dropped, as I felt I'd already served enough time in their wait queue. She agreed, took down the number, put me on hold again and went to find an answer.

After about 5+ minutes the 'hold' was converted back to the general phone-in wait queue. I waited. And waited... I hung up and started again... back into the wait queue. I'm still waiting - it's been 1 hour and 25 minutes so far. (I put my phone on a charger and speaker phone just to see how long it would take.) "We apologize for the delay" they say... subtext is 'but we really could care less and don't plan to do anything to improve our service. ' And no, she never called me back. I would cancel the card if it were not associated with an airlines we use frequently.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Bank of America is a terrible company. They will not protect you from fraudulent charges. I was ripped off by a company for close to 600 dollars and when I tried to get Bank of America to go to bat for me they said because my credit card was used that was me giving authorization for the charge therefore it was not me being ripped off! What? Isn't all credit card fraud done by using the card? How can you fraudulently charge someones card without using the card? I cancelled the credit card after going round and round with them trying to get my money back for this set of concert tickets I never purchased. I closed out the account.

Today I was automatically refunded money to that account by a merchant on Amazon. I called them to say that this was no longer a valid way to refund my money and was going to give them a new card number from a different company. I had a bunch of trouble getting the refund because instead of Bank of America declining the refund like they should have done for a closed account they took the money! The Amazon guy kept telling me I had to contact them and get the money back by getting them to issue me a check! Bank of America is a bunch of crooks. Run. Don't walk away from this company!

Original review: March 13, 2018

I believe that I am a victim of a new way for Bank of America to generate extra money. I write 2 checks every month to B of A, one for the credit card and one for the mortgage, that are mailed at the same time to different PO Boxes. Somehow B of A receives the mortgage payment but not the credit card payment. Surprise, that means late fees and interest the following month. While it is possible that the Post Office lost the check, that would be only the second time in my life that has happened. I believe that the "lost" check is a way to generate extra income on an account that never carries a balance or pays late. Considering the mortgage side tried for several years to get me to make a 13th monthly payment in December that I understand wasn't refundable I believe B of A deserves its top 3 worst bank rating.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I noticed a discrepancy on my two card accounts. Under the Activity Center under payments it is showing both accounts past due since February. I have both accounts on auto pay. I have checked my bank accounts, and I can see that payments have been made on both accounts on a regular basis: February 28, both accounts paid: $35 on the account ending in **. $25 on the account ending in **. February 22, an additional payment: $35 on the account ending in **.

January 29, both accounts paid: $35 on the account ending in **. $25 on the account ending in **. December 28, both accounts paid: $35 on the account ending in **. $25 on the account ending in **

Both the first person I spoke with about this discrepancy, which could affect my credit rating, and the manager, who gave me her name and identifying number as Ashley **, agreed that the error was on Bank of Americas part, due to an error on the website. Ashley ** assured me that this would not affect my credit rating, according to her, and offered for me to talk to a technical assistant to see why the late payment warning in red on both accounts was showing up on my end of the website. I let her know that because Bank of America has a professional policy of charging its clients for their errors, I am returning the courtesy and charging Bank of America for their error.

Please see the attached bill for my time and suffering. I charge $65 per hour for my time (my most recent government rate). I have high blood pressure as an older person, and the error on your part caused my blood pressure to spike this morning, particularly because, in my memory, and according to Ashley **, I have never paid late on either account, and I have had the account ending in ** for about 15 years.

Billing - Time spent on hold and discussing the problem with Bank of America staff: 1.5 hours $100. Time to be spent checking my credit rating in case B of A error has affected it x 3 mo. $ 195. Pain and suffering due to blood pressure rise on March 12, 2018, due to B of A error $100. Total (to be paid on receipt; accruing at 9% interest as of March 31, 2018) $395.

When I asked Manager Ashley ** to whom I should send the letter, she said I could Google it. Then I politely asked her, with some humor, if she wouldn't prefer to transfer me to customer service. She said she was customer service. Then I asked her if I should send this complaint to her, and she said she had no mailing address, but that she could register that I was making a complaint. I asked her to do so, and I asked her again if there was a number for customer service or an address to which I should send the letter.

I let her know that without the benefit of a specific single address, I would have to send the letter to multiple addresses, just to make sure I got the right party. She repeated that she had no addresses for customer service or a complaint department, nor could she transfer me to any other number that handled customer service or complaints. Therefore, I will send this letter as widely as possible to Bank of America addresses to make sure it gets noticed, and that I get a response. I have screenshots of both my bank account showing the on-time payments to date and the Bank of America screen, also from today, March 12, 2018, showing the late payments notifications in red on both accounts.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Terrible online "assistant" wastes time. Spent 40 minutes yelling at their idiotic online system. After I finally reached a representative, she was no more helpful and after an hour, the call was disconnected midstream and of course, they have no automated call back system.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I deposited $800 into my checking account by using the ATM (hate going inside because it always means standing in line for an hour to two hours). However the receipt told me I had only deposited $300. $500 missing. It took them almost a month to acknowledge that I did indeed put in $800. Then I receive transfer from a friend for $7000. And they locked the account for "suspicious activity" according to the information online. In person and in well over 100 phone calls it's now two months of refusals to tell why it's locked or when it will be unlocked. One woman online said "we are under no obligation to tell you why it's locked. And I certainly wouldn't tell someone like you". They also say they are under no obligation to ever let me have penny of my money. So no explanation and no return of the money anytime soon or ever.

I needed that money to replace my car. I've had to walk everywhere for over two months now because of this. This is just plain robbery and mistreatment of customers. What law allows them to just confiscate every penny a customer has without giving a reason and just keep it?? I've now gone online and read tons of reviews for Bank of America. 90% of them give BoA the same number of stars I have for a really diverse buffet of harsh, unusual and just plain nasty treatment of customers. I will never be a customer of Bank of America again. It does not matter if they remedy this problem or not they will never get a penny of my business ever again. And every time finances comes up in conversation with other people I will recount this entire affair of banditry.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Lowered my credit by 60% because they said I had too much credit. Few months ago when I got my Bank of America card my credit card was almost 800. They extended me a $6500 credit limit on my Bank of America card. 0% interest until September 2019. So I’ve been using the card with no problems. Tonight when I try to charge my dinner I found out they lowered my limit by $4000 thus taking a card that was about 30% utilized to now almost 100% utilized. So now I basically have to pay off a large amount to bring it under 40 percent utilized or it will dramatically affect my credit score. Contacted them. They said that I had too much credit and they reduced it for me. Offered no recourse. I had not done business with Bank of America since 2000 due to crappy company policies.

This is a perfect example of how Bank of America operates. I will never do business with Bank of America again. Would also recommend nobody else do business with them due to their shady business practices. So two things here. One they lowered my credit which will affect my credit score and two they forced the card to be 100% utilized which will also affect my credit. Thank you Bank of America. I shall never do business with them again. Will also share this with everybody I know. Hopefully they will lose customers over this. Also hope somebody reads this and it helps them avoid this situation.

Original review: March 3, 2018

Before I start, I need to say that I have NEVER been late for a payment. A few months ago I enrolled into paperless banking, I had my account in recurrent payments for more than double the minimum amount for payment, but "The promotion ended" and without notice my minimum payment became a COUPLE of dollars more than what I have schedule, I received the monthly "thank you for your payment" but never received a notice saying that I had to pay a few extra bucks or the payment was insufficient.

My Credit Secure was alerted that my account was reporting "negative information" but I NEVER received ANYTHING from Bank of America. Again, I NEVER MISSED A PAYMENT but the fee I received for a couple of dollars resulted in more money due the next month, that of course, did not meet the next monthly payment. Again, no information via e-mail nor paper was sent my way. I do not use this account often, however, I was checking that payments has been completed as expected, I never received Any alert from the bank. I called customer service and after a very very long wait, the lady told me that my credit will be hurt because that is not an Bank of America error. I have been a responsible customer and the lack of information has now affected my credit. If I did not have American Express Credit Secure watching my back Bank of America could have ruin my credit and NEVER send me a notice... Never Using this Bank AGAIN!

Bank of America Credit Cards Company Information