Bank of America Credit Cards

Bank of America Credit Cards

3.9/5 (207 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Bank of America Credit Cards

Bank of America (NMLS #399802) offers mortgage loans nationwide and has lending specialists available both online and at branch locations. If you’re searching for a mortgage loan, loan refinancing or a home equity line of credit, visit Bank of America’s website to apply.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Bank of America Credit Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America Credit Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2022

BoA offers the Signature Level Visa cards except for the balance transfer card. The business cards which I'm not interested in come with their own perks. I have unsorted offers for some of the BoA cards. There is a management page which has the hoops a potential customer needs to jump through to qualify for one of their cards. It appears the would be cardholder needs to "tweak themselves" before applying for a BoA card. I can meet the criteria but I'm opting not to. I'm not interested in having an $100000+ existing relationship with BoA by putting my money in any of their corporate pockets. They aren't paying any interest to speak of and haven't since the Fed tamped down rates in 2008 and again in 2019.

I have a 1.01% APY checking account going which is fairly heavy somewhere else and I'm not moving it to rock bottom just to get a BoA Signature Visa. The Covid shutdowns, variant surges, travel restrictions, border closures, the politicization and now the extremism on our own border precludes any rationale of applying for a rewards card. A flat 2022 stock market and a dim S&P has been keeping their credit lending tight. I'm still looking for a Visa Signature to pair with my World Elite MC whose perks don't really excite me very much.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

I’ve been a Bank of America credit card holder since 2009. I have a physical card in my possession that doesn’t expire until 2024. I went to go use it to pay off another credit card and found out that Bank of America closed my card for inactivity. I am very credit worthy so I applied for a new card with them because they told me that I could not reinstate my old one with a purchase. I applied for a 0% credit card for 18 months so I could pay down some debt only because I was forced to and they denied me, putting a black mark and a hard-hit to my credit. So essentially they took away my credit card, made me apply for a new one and then denied me because they weren’t going to make any interest off of me. Thank you Bank of America

Original review: Dec. 2, 2021

I've had a credit card with Bank of America for over 12 years. I got it when I went to college - my first credit card, and my only one until recently. Because I had no credit history at the time, I was given a low credit limit. I have used the card responsibly - occasionally throughout the years needing to put something worth several hundred dollars on it for an emergency situation (hello, car repairs!) but paying that off, and otherwise keeping it reasonable. In the past several years it's been used for about $40-80 per month, and my payment history is %100.

Nevertheless, BoA refuses to consider a credit line increase, saying that I use or have in the past used too much of my credit limit. Speaking on the phone with a representative I learned that there is no standard or limit for how far back they will look or what weight they will give this as time moves on, so as far as I can tell, I will never again qualify for any credit with BoA simply because they gave me a low limit as a teenager, even though I have used it responsibly.

Speaking with the representatives all they would offer me is to go to their better money management website to look into what I can do to be a better candidate, but since I have an Excellent credit rating, and great marks in all categories, it seems the only thing I can do to improve my chances would be to have already had a credit line increase.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2021

Do Not get a Credit Card through this Financial Institution. Their Existing Fraud Process and Policies are absurd. I am a victim & 2 months in and still fighting this battle for some online charges that were made and were NOT mine. When I called to report (they did not alert me & these were out of state online charges so should have put up a red flag somewhere), the Rep put in the information as a "dispute" and not a "fraudulent" charge & apparently there is a big difference on these 2 words so CONSUMER BEWARE. I had a Supervisor that had to get involved & assured me all would be corrected & my 5 transactions would be submitted again but this time for FRAUD review and not DISPUTES. Refunds were made back to me and I thought all was done.

Now, Bank of America is coming back to me stating they need more information on each transaction or they will bill me BACK the charges! The Ship To City & Zip Code do not even align, neither Merchant can produce a signed receipt or a proof of delivery and Bank of America wants ME to prove fraud?? Every time I call and talk to someone they give me a DIFFERENT number for the Fraud Department. I ask to speak to someone in Existing Fraud & they transfer me to someone in Billing Disputes & visa versa. This entity is a MESS with Credit Cards! As soon as this is resolved, I am shutting down this Card & going elsewhere. As I have explained this to others, I am hearing more & more about how this bank as a whole is a "mess." A couple of people have suggested to me to Report them to the Attorney Generals Office & or the Better Business Bureau. I will look into these options as I do NOT want others to experience what I have with this organization.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

A Bank of America credit card was opened fraudulently in my name today. Experian notified me by email of the Bank of America credit inquiry. Upon calling the phone number I was transferred to the fraud dept. I waited on hold for 30 minutes. I hung up and called back. The customer service lady said my phone number was authenticated but could not give me any information about this new open credit account.

The next phone call; I explained the trouble I was having and she did give me the last 4 digits of the new account and sent a 6 digit verification code to my phone. I verified my home address and she said she would help close the account but transferred me again. I'm typing this review as my phone is passing 54 minutes of hold time. I have heard "Thank you for your patience" and "all associates are currently busy; please hold for the next available associate." 100 times. How do these companies stay in business? I'm sure my business would go bankrupt if I treated people this way.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2021

I was sent a pre selected offer for up to 80,000 Alaska Air miles for applying for their card and spending a certain amount of money in a certain amount of time. I met all requirements and they failed to give me the promised amount of miles. They claim I applied for a different offer. I followed the letter to the tee by going online and submitting my application. After 3 months of fighting with them, they claim I went to another website than what was listed on the offer. Absolute lies... Don't bother with this card. Closing my account and will not do business with BofA ever again. It would have been so easy for them to rectify the situation rather than blaming me...Corporate greed and petty, useless employees that don't care about their customers! Shame on them and their leadership that implements, directs and condones this behavior.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

On 9/12/21 I paid off my balance in one lump sum of $10,947.00 through their online system and had it directly drafted from my checking account. Then on 10/01/21 they, for some unknown reason that NOBODY can explain, they duplicated the draft payment and took $10,947.00 out of my checking account a second time, resulting in a credit balance of over $10,000.00 on my account. I called and demanded my funds back on 10/03/21 and was promised the funds would be deposited back into my account in 3-5 business days, which did not happen.

I then spoke with a "Manager" named "Terrence" who advised he would look into getting my funds expedited to me and that he would call me back in 45 minutes-1 hour, which never happened. Now I'm being told the funds won't be deposited until 10/19/21!!!! If I charged them the interest that they charge me on purchases, they'd owe me a good sum of money. I will NEVER do business with these thieves and liars again!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

The number one reason never to get a Bank of America Credit Card is because when you bank with the same organization you have a credit card with Bank of America takes advantage of this and their collection practices are very very unethical.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

ALL BofA cards seem to have either an annual fee or as this card, a foreign transaction fee, unlike those of other banks (e.g. Capital One). NOWHERE on the literature that came with the card was this mentioned. The previous one I had from them had an annual fee after one year; at least this was mentioned in 'small fine print'. What is the use of being a BofA Preferred Customer? What does one get for the trouble?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

If these banks fear aggression of outside hijacking then you might as well hang it up. This review is based on access and what I believe a control due to fear. Please know my husband possessed this card many many yrs ago and there were multiple problems accessing which created an issue paying the card. What seemed every other month I had to change passwords, a password recorded and right next to me used several times, while trying to access the account they continued their denial access. This lead calling BOA what seemed hours unlocking accounts. Today it seems not much has changed. The hoops one must jump through to access the app which is lacking, which I then deleted, and the internet online access deemed too much time. Something that should take minutes turn to hours most of us do not have just to pay a CC bill.

When your fears start to impose on your customers and their access, then you turn around and blame your customer, it seems this fear based company will at some point cease to exist. Also, this company decreased my husband's card based on his credit. An excellent BOA payer and had good standing, but due to his off-boarding from a fraud-based timeshare in return affecting his credit. BOA made that decision, I ask for what, his score did not prohibit him from paying his balances every month, did it? Accessing your credit score without your consent, given to them by nonprofit credit score companies. These Credit Report companies who knowingly look to disrupt your life, holding you hostage purposely at the request of the banks and lenders, appeasing their agendas to charge you higher interests to benefit only them, forget about you.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

My ex-wife continued to use my credit card that was in my social security number and not a joint account. I reported it as fraud and they declined me because my ex was smart enough to change the address on the account to her own. I refuted stating that I never once resided in her apartment address and they did not thoroughly investigate and claimed that purchases were made when "we lived together". I offered to provide the divorce paperwork showing the legal date of divorce, and consent to look into my legal addresses, my sales agreement from when I sold the house we bought together and my current renters agreement to show that the dates lined up. They were of no help, did not contact me during the investigation to confirm anything and rejected my fraud claims. I would not remember this company for security and safety. I have had much more success with my security and safety with their competitors of whom I will not name here.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I applied for a BofA credit card in July. I kept checking their online portal for updates because it was taking so long to get any information. There was no useful information online - the entire 4 weeks all it said was that it was still in review and to check back later. The portal was useless. I finally received a letter in the mail 4 weeks later just to inform me that they needed more information in order to completely process my application. I called the number on the letter and it was the fraud department. I have never had any fraudulent activity on my credit so that was a complete surprise but I provided them with the information that they asked for. They said I was verified and all set and that my application would go to review again.

A few days goes by and I checked my status online and it said that my application was not approved. I was baffled because I have excellent credit. I call the fraud department back and they said my application was in fact still in review and that they were having issues with the online system changing statuses to that when a review was re-started. Unbelievable that a major bank has an issue like this that they know about but does not get resolved. This was just the beginning of the issues I had with them. It took another 2 weeks for my application to be reviewed and the fraud department instructed me that the only way for me to get information about my application and why it was taking so long was for me to go into the nearest BofA bank and show them 2 forms of id and get verified.

At this point I'm wondering if it because I'm ** because they have been known for their shady practices when it comes to ** people. So I go into the branch anyway because I want to get this process over with. I was supposedly verified by the branch representative during my visit. I called BofA a few days later because I am furious at how long this process is taking me and I need answers. The representative tells me that I was never verified at the branch and argues with me about the process. He wouldn't talk to me about my account at all and he just kept repeating that I would have to go to the branch (I had already done so). I told him I was not going to do that again because I had already done everything that they asked.

I thought about the call and I remembered that the person on the phone mentioned the Aug 24th date (which was the date that I went into the branch) so I decided to call back and speak to someone. This was about an hour or 2 later. A different representative answered my call and all of a sudden he was able to see that I was at the branch and I was properly verified. I then ask him about my credit card application status and he said he cannot see anything except that it went back to review on the 24th. I asked to speak to someone that could be helpful and he said his supervisor would be able to see more detailed information and he would get her on the line.

The supervisor gets on the line and she tells me to verify my phone number and then she said that she would call me back from another line to verify my phone number and then give me account information. She hung up on me and never called me back. I then tried calling again later that day. I spoke to another representative that was not helpful in the least. All any of these people do was give me fake apologies and they did not help me in the least bit. I still don't know what the status of my application was or what the issue is with it that is taking so long to process. I was also told that I couldn't get a copy of my credit report through them and I had to get it on my own which I know for a fact that it's against the law. I work for a bank myself.

This entire experience has left me frustrated, upset, and feeling disrespected and treated as less than what I should. I gave them private information about myself in that application. The least they could do was be helpful and provide me with a decision in a timely manner and tell me why the process is taking so long. I am still waiting on a decision but as soon as they provide it I'm telling them to kick rocks.

I already applied for another credit card through their direct competitor and I received instant decision, a high credit line and a low interest rate. If I didn't have excellent credit there is no way that would have happened. I need answers. But more so, I need BofA to be inconvenienced in some way for all of the inconvenience they have caused me. This is the worst bank (and company) I've even done business with and I will NEVER do business with them again.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

Seriously!! On 080421 I made my cc payment towards my credit card of $291.?? And first thing this morning I have my personal checking account (different bank) overdrawn by nearly 8 grand. What the Hell?? So checking for what came through of course it was Bank of America payment. I tried my best to find the email usually sent after the payment was made, it’s missing. And now because they pulled all that money, BofA closed out that card. Now I’m just waiting for both BofA and my personal bank to open so I can try my best to get to the bottom of this crap. NEVER has this happened from BofA nor Any other credit card I have. Gosh!! Bank of America use to be the standard for banking, but Not over the past many years. #StayAwayFromBofA

Original review: April 27, 2021

This bank denied charges made due to suspicion of possible fraud, then unlocked the card. I received documentation from the store, they cancelled my order on the day of denial. This bank states it is keeping the charge pending half a month, stating they released the funds after their denial, (over $1000) stating "the purchase may go through", despite the stores cancellation email. The first bank call said the charge would drop off in 5 days. The second bank call (manager) gave an estimate of additional 5 plus work days, refusing to remove the denial and placing blame/responsibility on the store that immediately cancelled the order after the bank denied it. I do NOT recommend this bank

Original review: April 16, 2021

B of A has been a nightmare over the years, if it wasn't for Alaska Airlines card I would have nothing to do with them. I have had a problem getting my bills so I could pay them on time. I have had payments made to the wrong account a couple of times. Once they fixed it the other time they acknowledged it but still charged me a late fee and interest. My credit score has been consistently in the high 700s and in the 800s. I think I know now why they are so profitable, I pay my entire credit card bills off each month. I figure they don't like that so they duplicitously find a way to charge more.

Original review: April 15, 2021

This is the worst credit card I have ever had in 40 yrs. If I could give negative stars I would. I have spent hours on the phone to unlock my card. I have a credit on this card (transferred from my bank), that is being held for 10 business days and I can not use the card at all until then. I was planning on paying my contractor, but can't use the card. I can't write him a check, because my bank authorized the amount within 24 hours, so the money is no longer in my checking account. So now my contractor has to wait 14 days (yup, that is 10 business days) to get paid.

I have documentation of the cs reps, managers, names, and employees # that I have spoken to, and they have given me conflicting information. I have to say everyone I talked to was very kind and apologetic, and understood how absurd this is, but only a review board could unlock my card, and there was no possible way to expedite this before the 14 days. So my account shows this credit, but I can't use it because it is lock and no one there can unlock it. IMHO, this is fraudulent. I can't wait until the credit goes through so I can ditch this card.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Tried for 10 days to close account. Was instructed to do it over the phone, can’t reach a live person at a branch or the “business center (!)”, can’t hold or leave a message, then call ends with “goodbye”. You are more likely to win the lotto or get struck by lightning than to get help with their “walk in service”!

Original review: March 27, 2021

I had been with Bank of America for almost 20 years. I never missed a payment, I never was late on a payment. When I could I would always pay off my balance in full. 2 years ago I used my Bank of America credit card for a large purchase, and paid as much as I could each month (again, never late, never missed, and always over the minimum required) and after I paid off the entire balance last month, they continued to charge my account interest after the fact. I called to let them know of the error, once it is paid off, there shouldn't be any more interest charges, but they stated there was NOTHING they could do, they were still going to charge me interest even after I paid of the balance in full and on time.

I am not upset about $18, If I really owed them $18. But I don't. The balance was paid off last month. I am upset they would charge me AFTER the balance was paid in full. That just doesn't make sense. Even the operator agreed it made no sense. She could not explain nor defend their policy. I even read on the back of their bank statement that after the balance is paid in full, there would no longer be any interest charges. The operator stated that there was nothing she could do, knowing full well they incorrectly charged me. This is how Bank of America treats a customer of almost 20 years. Just rotten!

Original review: March 6, 2021

I have an excellent credit score, have always paid my bills with BOA on time. Have been with them since 3003. I received my March credit card statement due, payment due 3/3/21, balance $743.28. I paid in full on 2/26/21. BOA debited my checking account a “2nd” time for the same amount $743.28. Called and requested a refund for that amount, it was their error. I noticed my checking account was credited but not the full $743.28. They deducted April’s payment balance of $81 and change! This is 3/6/21 and I haven’t even received a statement yet and payment not due until 4/3/21! Called again and was told that they will only credit back what is on the account and not the 2nd payment they mistakenly took from my account. Very upset, feel this was improperly handled. Deducting a payment when it is not due until next month. Unethical, especially for a bank!

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I originally obtained the travel reward card because it has excellent benefits. However, despite their rigorous security procedures (which I always follow), I learned the hard way that a fraudster with limited information can call the bank and reverse my credit card payment to a account that is not mine. This cause my credit card balance to jump to $5500. It took many, many hours to get Bank of America to refund the money. Each time I had to deal with a different employee that was not very smart. There were many false promises by Assistant VPs that it would be taken care of within a certain time. When they finally took care of it (after a week), they refunded the wrong amount and their employees were too stupid to realize it.

I had to go to the local branch, where the manager (who was great) had to spend 90 minutes dealing with the terrible call center - being transferred multiple times. In summary, the people at the local branch are great, but they cannot solve any problems with your account. They are required to go through call centers which are manned by low payed idiots. I am still waiting for them to correct the account.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

When applying for the card I explained that I needed a high limit for the card I chose. Bank of America assured me that once I received the card I could raise the credit limit. I asked if being a new customer would affect raising the credit limit and was informed as long as I have good credit and income it shouldn't be any problem. Once I received the card I asked for the credit limit increase and was sent a letter in writing that due to being a new customer your request it denied. I even asked this question prier to getting the card.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I have been a card holder since 2006. The bank was not originally charging any fee to use Venmo and then started to charge a fee without giving proper notice. IN the time of covid the fees on the statements escaped my notice and when I noticed I called to see if they would take the many $10 fees off. They agreed to remove 1 of about 40 fees and got pretty rude. I told them I would cancel the card and they did not care. I read that no other bank charged the fees. I have cancelled the card. I do NOT recommend using this bank for any credit cards.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Just received a letter in the mail notifying me that they cancelled my card (for inactivity.) I've never been late and have good credit. In my opinion the letter was cold and just plain offensive- I don't feel valued at all and wouldn't recommend.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

Visa doesn't care about doing things correctly. I am continually getting communications for customers of BoA and I'm NOT a customer. They do NOT validate emails that customers enter and assume they are correct. What's worse is that they don't notice or even care. I called their 800 number once and was told they wouldn't help me. So I'm posting the information here as BoA and VISA do not care that I have the PII and thus everyone in the world should as well since I am forced to see it constantly.

Bernie **, Visa ending in **
Carl **, Visa ending in **
Eric **, Visa ending in **
Heather **, Visa ending in **
Natalie **, Visa ending in **
Roger **, Visa ending in **

Ann **, Visa

Original review: Jan. 1, 2021

Happy new 01/01/2021 a new year full of brand new complaints since: Bank of America locks you out of your online banking account. They say that I have signed in from a different place, that's obvious since I have my own apartment but sometimes I sign in from my parent's apartment. Now I'm locked out of my online banking, and I can not use my money. I can not check the balance, I can not pay the balance and I can not check the account activity. Nobody knows what's their secret email address. You can contact them by phone but they are like a simple answering machine.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

SERIOUSLY!!! Do NOT use Bank of America for its credit card services! I had been a Loyal & great customer of theirs for MANY years with a VERY high credit line but for some reason this year has been so awful and thoughtless that they ended up canceling my credit cards even though the mistake was on their part, not mine!! A particular customer service person was very nice & tried to help me, but in the end BOA hurt my credit score by so much I went from above 800, to 600 & when I tried to get that straightened out they didn't care - told me to open new cards, with them but had hurt my score so much that I wouldn't be able to. They aren't trustworthy and if you open a credit card with them - BEWARE - I will NEVER do business with them again - and neither should you!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I have been a customer since 2002. Out of all of this time, BOA refused to increase my credit limit to an amount that someone with my credit rating deserves. With such a low limit, I really wasn't able to use the account much. As a response, BOA shut down my account causing me to lose years of credit age on my credit report and refused to reopen it.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I've had this card for 3 years and it was the worst decision I've ever made. The app and website are glitchy and unreliable, the automated phone service is terrible, if you are persistent enough to get to a real person they are exceedingly unhelpful and their departments do not communicate. If you set up an automated payment for the day the bill is due through a checking account, an extremely harassing COLLECTIONS calls you repeatedly and your employer because banks hold payments for 24 hours, even though the terms you sign give you a 2 week grace period and no credit reporting for 30 days, it is in collections in 24 hours. The app doesn't update with payments made, and if you make an additional payment, you have to unenroll and re-enroll with recurring bill pay. I got this card for the Alaska Airlines frequent flyer miles and literally the day after I cash in my miles this card is closing.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

We have a high Credit limit on our BOA credit card. We have been a customer of theirs for at least 15 years, paying our bill on time and in full every month. Today we tried to make a $5000 appliance purchase, this was well below our credit limit. BOA called to make sure the charge was legitimate and we told them it was. And they should release the funds. They said they would. Though we made five subsequent phone calls to them they never released the funds. Due to their negligence we have lost $5000 worth of points as well as wasting hours on hold with BOA. I have seldom dealt with such incompetence. I subsequently had to use another charge card. Tomorrow I will begin the process to find another more reliable credit card company to do business with. Stay away from this company- they don't follow through with what they say they will do and care nothing for the customers that they claim to help.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

Bank Of America Credit Card Scam. We purchased a program online and put a dispute I with Bank of America Disputes. 2 weeks later the company gave me fake website hosting Bank Of America. Now this was two weeks later. Two months went by and Bank Of America sends me they need more information about what happened. The company closed and Bank Of America knew that they closed had to because they did not get their money back. They want us to pay the bill 500.00. They scammed a dispute and instead of asking for the information from the beginning they waited. Now 500.00 we have to pay. No way.

DON'T USE THEM NOR THEIR BANK. If they can scam us on that what else can they do? Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, and believe me that is all open prey for them remember. They Are in control you're not. The Government protects them. Again scams but not you. Tell you why. In 2018 my online business was stolen and nothing was done about it. I contacted ic3.gov, FBI, Criminal Justice Department. They did nothing. The company that I bought the product from took my name off it and are selling it now. Bank Of America is just like them. They scammed me out of 500.00. I'm fighting it. I'm a Citizen of the United States Of America and they let a foreign entity get over on me. DON'T USE BANK OF AMERICA FOR NOTHING. Please help me fight scams and this is one.

Bank of America Credit Cards Company Information