Find the Best Card

Learn More
Bank of America Credit Cards
3.26/5

Bank of America Credit Cards

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Find the Best Card

Save and Earn Rewards - Compare Cards Side by Side

Learn More

1721 Bank of America Credit Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have set up automatic payment is $500 to be deducted from my checking out on the Due date every month. I just noticed now that the automatic payment was set up for DAY AFTER the due date and Bank of America has been charging me 38 every month for late fee. I just noticed it on the breakdown of the balance. $500 was deducted every month from my bank but $38 was going to late fee and the remainder $427 was applied on the balance. When I called and complained, the agent said “I should have noticed it before” and she can only go back for 3 months!!!

This is all their fault and it’s like saying, “Yeah, we’ve been stealing your money but you should caught us earlier.” Very unprofessional! The reason people set up automatic payment is to not deal with this! After arguing and being transferred to management, they refunded 11 months of late charge but not willing to go further because it’s company policy! What’s infuriating is they count this as a favor they’re doing for me when this should NEVER happen to begin with. I am closing my balance and thus credit card. This is a crime.

Original review: April 4, 2019

During a financial hardship a few years ago, I worked out an agreement with BOA to draft a minimum payment out of my checking account each month. April of 2018 I noticed my account was charged a "late fee." I asked how this could be when they draft the money out of my account! I called and they removed the late fee and brought my account current. Apparently, the person manually entering in the payment when they received it entered it in a day later than the due date causing it to be past due. I have not looked at my account or statements since, until March of this year (2019) and I discovered that since October 2018 up until February 2019, it showed I had 5 straight months of late fees again!

I called and spoke to 3 people over 2 separate days. The response was always the same. Pay to bring my account "current" and then the situation can be resolved. (Meanwhile my credit has been depleted month after month!) Resolved? I told each person it was the bank's negligence that caused me to be past due in October causing a domino effect over the next several months and "you want me, the customer to pay more money that I technically don't owe because you (the bank) automatically draft the money out of my account every month! This is fraud" I told them!

I even demanded on March 23, 2019 to call me after my work hours at 2:45 pm to speak with a supervisor who can see that this was their error and have the authority to make a wrong situation right. I never received a call. In fact they said that I told them not to call me which is a bald-faced lie. I learned a lesson banking with BOA. I would never recommend this bank to anyone for any reason. Their business practices are not merely questionable, they are shady, even fraudulent.

Anyone with a conscience and common sense sees that it's their own fault, but their business policies and practices forbade to resolve situations that any decent and reputable bank could change in a moment with a simple phone call. If BOA is your bank, my advice to you would be to watch them like a hawk or change quickly. I wished that I kept a more watchful eye on my credit card account and I would have spotted this quickly and perhaps resolved it quickly.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I have had a credit card thru Bank of America sponsored by Allegiant Airlines for almost 2 years. Never have a missed a payment on this card. Out of the blue, they closed my account stating that after a recent review of my credit the card should be closed. Even though I've never missed a payment they still closed it.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Approximately 8 months ago I was visiting with a personal banker who was aware of my prior credit issues after losing my husband. I went in one day to make a large deposit. Between her and a Merrill Lynch representative they both told me to apply for an unsecured credit card to rebuild my credit after a bankruptcy. One of my credit cards with them was included in the bankruptcy. I reminded them of the bk. The application for unsecured card was processed there at the Bank. I was denied. Now I have an inquiry from Bank of America on my credit report a hard inquiry that will stay there for quite a few years. Why would a banker's give you that kind of advice? They're supposed to help you

In December I had some fraudulent activity happen. The fraud department is worthless I am sorry to say. I was so surprised when I called a fraud department to report fraud and they said it was probably just a mistake on the let the charges go through and will take care of you? The Fraud Department made mistakes. There were many different claims for 1 Fraud activity. It has finally been taken care. I was on the phone constantly for 3 months. If the fraud department had taken me seriously the first time I called this would not have happened. What happened to Bank of America.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I had been hovering around 840 to 850 credit score for years and I have also been a customer with Bunch of Ax for over 25 yrs - now I know why they have this nickname I got from a former employee of theirs. Trying to simplify my bills tried to set up auto pay thru them and their system messed it up and for two months straight; it would say it was going to post my payment then wouldn't do it. I got no notices of late payment - instead they went direct to nuclear on me and reported a missed payment to the credit bureaus. Dropped my credit score to below 750. After explaining this to their customer placaters and filling out their useless ream of paperwork to explain the situation no response from them for over 5 months. Worse customer service ever experienced. I am not doing any more business with them. I just keep my card open and will charge a pack a gum a year just to keep it active and let them eat the processing cost of keeping the account open.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: March 18, 2019

I am enrolled in autopay and paperless statements. For the past 12 months I have received emails confirming my payment. Every month! So I didn’t check my online statements. Should have! Every month I was charged $35 late fee on the same day my account was set to auto pay! No phone calls. No email saying I was charged anything in addition to my auto payment. Terrible customer service that it goes unnoticed for this long. I called and they said autopay was set up the day after the payment was due. WHY WOULD SOMEONE PICK A PAYMENT DAY THE DAY AFTER IT'S DUE??? I don’t believe I would have! Every month I paid on the same day. I will be closing this account immediately and never doing business with Bank of America again.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I applied to a BOA offer for an interest free card till Sept 2020 with a no balance fee for 60 days. I had 900 dollars transferred and on the first statement I was charged a 27 dollar transfer fee! in speaking with customer service they were courteous but said because I applied to an offer thru Credit Karma ad - a "third party" the no transfer fee did not apply and they would not refund the fee-the no fee ad is why I applied in the first place! I feel this is false advertising and will be canceling this card shortly -- bah!!!

Original review: March 16, 2019

Bank of America Credit Cards suck! And not worth your time or headaches. It's been 4 months of headaches with them on automatic payments and stopping them adjusting them. I've changed my app and online and nothing changed! As of today my balance is $ 0.00. I owe them not a damn penny. They still allow an automatic payment. I don't get it. It's at 0 balance BofA CC! ZERO means I owe you guys NOTHING! I called customer service and of course, "There's nothing we can do. You have call tomorrow." B my transaction is pending. NO! Take action now, BUT NOOOOOOOO. Ok. Close my account and return my payment. "Oh it's going to take another call tomorrow and 3 business days!" Really?! I owe you guys nothing, you still take auto pay being at ZERO and I have to call you back and I have to wait. What kind of ** is this BofA credit cards. Anyone thinking about getting this credit card - if you can avoid it do so. It's not worth it.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I USED TO HAVE CARD CARD BUT THEY DID NOT SEND ME ANY INFORMATION THEY CLOSED THE ACCOUNT. Then I called them even they cannot reopen. I do not have words. It is ridiculous. I do not recommend anyone use this bank.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I would not recommend using Bank of America's credit cards. They would not back me up on a dispute resolution concerning a company who took a payment, promising a service that they could not deliver. After two investigators were assigned to me through this private investigation company, and both determined they could not help me, I asked for a refund. When the company gave me back 1/3 of the $450 paid, I disputed the charge with Bank of America. B of A sent me a snail mail letter which stated a due date for the details of the dispute the day before I receive the letter.

When I complained, I was told to fax the details anyway. Then I received a message on the B of A account messages that I did not provide the information they asked for and the dispute was not honored. When I complained again, I was told to fax the information and again my dispute was denied, claiming 'too much time had passed' and I had not met the deadlines set. Incredible! When I called B of A and told them of my dissatisfaction, I was told, "We can't do anything and sorry you are unhappy with our policies." Unbelievable!

Original review: March 4, 2019

Almost a week ago, some dirtbag steal almost $400.00 from my checking/debit account. Called the bank and cancelled my card and told I would receive my money back in 7 to 10 days. Money was credited back to my account this morning and also received my new card in the mail today. Great job and service. Only problem was not having the money to pay bills for a week! Very happy it didn't take longer. Thank you for the prompt service considering the facts.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I paid my account in full $0 balance and received a statement from Bank of America with a $29.49 interest charge. I had a $0 balance and I was charged interest on a $0 balance. Called Bank of America to have this charge removed and they refused. I will never, ever use this card again! Pls be aware, they are a fraud!!!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

Bank of America suddenly and without warning cancelled my National Education Association credit card a couple days after I paid off the balance in full. I can't even log on to see my account! I have been a loyal and responsible customer for many years. Way to treat America's teachers!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have been trying to resolve an unauthorized charge with my Bank of America credit card for 6 months. I have spent numerous hours upon hours on-hold and discussing my situation over and over and over again. After explaining my situation they say, "I will have to send you to someone else who can better serve you." Then on-hold again for another hour. This is totally unacceptable!

Just this week, I called Monday Feb 18th, 2019 and was on-hold for an hour before I spoke to anyone and then transferred. Called again on Wednesday Feb 20th, 2019 and same thing, no resolution and given another number to call. Then again called on Friday Feb 22nd, 2019. Spoke with one person who was supposed to be a direct number to someone who could help, after waiting for her for 40 minutes she said she could not help and transferred me to another person and waited 1 hour and 50 minutes for her only to be told nothing could be done. I am OUTRAGED!!! and want the world to know... NEVER, EVER, EVER DO BUSINESS WITH BANK OF AMERICA!!! I would rate them negative numbers if I could! HORRIBLE!!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I had auto pay from my bank to Bank of America credit card. My promotional term was over so my minimum due went up, I didn’t even pay late, only amount was not enough for the min due. I send them a message to ask to waive the late fee, they keep sending the same message, "If you are having financial hardship call us and we will talk about options." I reply but I got the same answer 3 times. There other credit cards with better customer service. I will pay my balance and never ever get another Bank of America card again.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

After over 15 years of having this credit card and paying on time with good credit they closed my account. Only thing I can think was I had gotten a call asking for information of mine and said they were from Bank Of America. I was reluctant to give it to them asking me where I worked seen as I’ve been working at the same place for over 19 years, same place I worked when I applied for this credit card. I wouldn’t give him the information, I thought it was bogus, I pay my bill on time so why were they asking me this now. They lost a good customer and I sure don’t think the same way about them as I did prior.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Every time I have to call B of A customer support, I end up waiting an average of HALF AN HOUR for a representative to pick up. HIRE MORE REPRESENTATIVES!!! Try getting representatives that are actually located in the United States. I can hardly understand the reps when do pick up the call. HIRE AMERICANS.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I used my Bank of America credit card to book a motel reservation using a reservation site on the internet. Because of the reservation site's "system error", my reservation was cancelled, but I was still expected to pay for the reservation. I explained the situation with the credit card company, since that was how I was to handle this. I talked with person after person, for months and every person I spoke with understood my situation. But the office that makes the final decision repeated denied my claim. The last letter stated they wouldn't respond to any further correspondence regarding this claim. I've had it! I cancelled my card and will never deal with them again.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Spent WAY too much time on this already but want other people to be aware. BOA is a NIGHTMARE. Their customer service is unbelievably inefficient, reps are rude, several have claimed that they took notes when the next rep says they had no record. Chase bank - my checking account, gave me proof of payment that for 5 months BOA claimed my payments were overdue by 1 day when they were received by BOA on time but not being applied to my account until a day later. Each time I was charged a $38 fee. Payments were on autopay and I get wireless statements so it went unnoticed until I began getting robocalls... Even with proof of payment, no refund, rude reps and ruined credit. Caveat Emptor!!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have 2 personal credits cards, as well as several business accounts and credit cards with Bank of America. I have a revolving revenue of more than several hundred thousands, and they still treat me like dirt. I had my account and credit cards frozen because of OFAC compliance, 2 months ahead of notice. I gather all the documents, submit it several times online, call them, and get nowhere. I finally take the documents to a local branch, sit there for 3 hours while they fax it and get it sorted out (because they can't handle email very well!) and finally get the confirmation that everything is going to be opened and ok. I ask again, "Are my credit cards going to be fine too?" And hear, "Yes, within 24 hours."

A week passes and nothing changes. Now I call customer support on credit card, and after a 1 hour wait, hear that they have to connect me to OFAC department. While I explain the stuff there, they disconnect me! The next day I do the same process (2 hour long), and this time they connect me to OFAC and they connect me somewhere else, every time making me explain everything from scratch. Now they drop the connection while transferring. And no callback.

The next day, the same process. Once they connect me to OFAC, they say our working hours are over, call again tomorrow! The next day (day 4), the same process again. I finally scream at someone in OFAC, and they tell me there have been notes on my account and this should've been taken care of more than a week ago! And connect me back to credit card support.

After several hours on the phone, they say, "Yes the note is here and we're going to open your account again." Then I see an email telling me that there's a Hard Inquiry on my credit report! I ask, on the phone, "What's going on," and they say, "Yes, we did a Hard Inquiry." I ask, "Without my permission?" And they say, "You gave us permission by saying you wanted them reopened!"

This is clearly a fraudulent department and I'm following up with TransUnion about this. Now I have a hard inquiry on my credit report, for a crappy credit card that I already had! I could open a card 10 times better with that inquiry, and be done with BoA for good, but they didn't even ask me to do this. Now they tell me they will open the accounts in 5 days, and I have spent some 20 hours of my precious time doing this thing that they should've done initially, for a customer that's bringing them a lot of business. They should be a dead business in 2019, with this sort of crap.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I opened a secured credit card with Bank of America in order to rebuild credit. Unfortunately instead to help me this decision ruined my credit with a 30 days Past Due reported to the credit bureau. 1) Alerts in the website for past due balance does not work even checking and savings were set up. 2) Customer Service for BOA is handle for call centers reps. Humberto **, a rep, was very rude to me when I expressed my frustration with him, very arrogant and aggressive. He transferred me to the "manager" (misrepresentation because he is not a manager, he is another call center rep). BANK OF AMERICA is not anymore the bank that it was in the past.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I’ve had my identity stolen and been hacked and BofA will believe the hackers and not me. I can prove that they’re hackers. I’ve also filed a claim for fraud with the US Govt plus a claim with the county where I live but BofA chooses not to believe me. $799.99 + interest. BofA expects me to pay the identity thieves for stealing my identity. DO NOT TRUST BANK OF AMERICA. I REPEAT, DO NOT TRUST BANK OF AMERICA. THEY ARE HACKERS THEMSELVES.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have had two BoA credit cards for over 10 years, with direct payment from my checking account. My FICO score is 815. My November payment WAS made for my -9111 account but was not credited to the account. When I received notice of non-payment, I immediately had the "missing" payment re-sent plus an additional $500 to cover pending new charges. I ended up with a credit balance on the -9111 account. I was charged a late fee and interest. I called BoA customer service (one and half hour hold) to ask that the late charges and interest be waived. My request was denied on the basis that I should have made the payment on time. I closed the -9111 account during that call and I received a refund of my credit balance on my account, but not the late fee and interest. Two months later, I found that the "missing" payment to the -9111 account WAS received by BoA, but it was credited to my second account -5043.

I again called BoA customer service (2 hour hold). The representative reviewed the situation and noted that I actually HAD sent in my payment. She refunded the late charges and interest of my now closed -9111 account. I also closed the -5043 account and received a refund of my "missing" payment. Two weeks later, I received a bill for additional interest on the -9111 account. I AGAIN called BoA customer service (one and a half hour hold), with the above story, the representative gave me some explanation about monthly cycles and wanted to terminate the call. I asked about refund of the new interest charges. She said, "What about them?" I said that I wanted these refunded also. She then said, okay, SHE WAS NOT PERMITTED TO DO UNLESS I SPECIFICALLY ASKED FOR A REFUND. Then I applied again for the type of card I cancelled. I was approved and I now have the new card.

Bottom line: BoA COULD have properly researched the issue on my very first call, transferred the "missing" payment from the -5043 account to the -9111 account, refunded the late fee and interest. Problem solved. Instead, we ended up cancelling two cards, initiating a third and I received all fees and interest anyway. Further bottom line: The new card provides a $200 bonus if I spend $500 in ninety days, which I definitely do. So this whole thing ended up costing BoA some customer service time, some extra time and effort in processing the three cards, some cash in terms of the bonus AND a huge loss of this customer's view of BoA. If it were not for the financial advantage to this particular BoA card, I'd kick them to the curb.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

This company is completely unreasonable. They would not remove a late fee, even though the payment was only 2 days late and their own system was down. I have a nearly perfect credit score and have never paid late. I paid late one time for Discover Card and they had no problem removing the fee, given my record. Very unprofessional. I closed the account as a result. They were not accommodating at all. I expected so much more from a National Educational Association Bank of America card.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I’ve had this card for 18 years. Paid it off every month and they switched my mailing address to my home address and I missed 1 and 1/2 payments because I did not receive a statement and then when we got that cleared up they have ruined my credit completely while I’m refinancing a house under construction so between never being able to talk to a real person on the phone you literally need about an hour to go through the auto phone robot to tell a real person your issue for them to tell you they can’t do anything. After the moment I received the late statement I had a check in the mail but still no deal. These guys have extreme power and are evil. Hope they need a bailout soon. Time for a change. I will pay the extra over the next 30 years to refi and not renew my card yahoo.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

So I called and asked for a settlement on my account. I have been with BOA for 4 years and have always paid my bill and have an account in good standing. I was laid off a few months ago. Since then I have been paying the minimum. Spoke with Account Rep Santrese **. After a long convo she did not offer any help. I explained I am trying to make a good faith payoff to avoid collections and settle the debt. No help was offered at all. No interest deduction no payment plans etc. They said I do not qualify even with an excellent payment record.

Other credit card companies have worked with me since this hardship to keep our credit good and offered a pay off Which we paid and made good. We pretty much got the it's not our problem reaction. Pretty frustrating and unbelievable. I will continue to pay the minimums I guess. This company is huge and I'm sure the accounts are secured. They need to be more considerate to their clients. I will be posting this review on all platforms. Shame on them.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I just received and activated a BOA credit card two days ago. Upon trying to use it today for the first time, it was declined. Contacted BOA and was informed that the wait time would be an hour to an hour and 40 minutes to speak with someone. Upon finally speaking to a rep was told that the card was declined due to fraud and I would need to visit a branch to verify I am who I say I am. WTF! Mind you I literally just received and activated this card less than 48 hours ago. Never in my life have I had this kind of issue with a bank or credit card company especially after just activating an account. Not only are their practices absurd they have horrible customer service. I would not recommend anyone use them for banking or credit needs!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

There is no 24 hour customer service. If you have a problem with your credit card in the middle of the night, you can't call. You have to have access to the app or website. When you do call during business hours be prepared to waste at least an hour of your time. I think they fired 90 percent of their customer service staff. They do proudly now announce that their staff is "Michael in Texas" or "Jean from Albany, NY" so they're "proudly" not outsourcing to other countries anymore. And when you do finally get ahold of someone they are as pleasant and helpful as can be. So that's great; they gave jobs back to a handful of Americans who are fielding all these calls, and it takes an hour to get through to any of them and/or redirected to the correct person. Overall big thumbs down. Not worth it.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

First of, calling to make a credit card payment is a pain in my rear. The stupid automated service makes you go through about 3 different prompts and upsells before I can just make a dang payment. And forget trying to simply say your information. If there is ANY minor background noise, like a baby gurgling or a television talking, the system goes haywire and messes everything up. And it tells you all this useless garbage I don't care about like what my balance is and what my cash advance is and so on. I AM TRYING TO PAY YOU CLOWNS OFF, NOT INCUR MORE DEBT. STOP TELLING ME THIS FLUFF AND LET ME PAY.

And you might say, "Just go to the teller." Well, I work odd hours and only have time for going around 12 noon. Yeah, the lunch break hours. My local branch typically has ONE PERSON working the lunch rush when others go in to do the same thing. Many people in today's society work two jobs, have kids, and generally cannot make it to the bank teller as much as they would like. These guys need to just make it easy for Pete's sake.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Never I will use their cards again. When I bought international ticket the website didn’t make confirmation. When I ask them for confirmation they said, "You must pay more $200," and they charge me $100 without booking the ticket. I have all the information which prove my speech but Bank of America didn’t do anything. Never I will use their cards again. How can I trust them if one stolen me?

Bank of America expert review by Beverly Harzog

Bank of America is one of the largest financial institutions in the country. It’s a global leader in wealth management, corporate and investment banking and more. Bank of America is very convenient because it offers 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs. The bank has 32 million online banking users and 19 million mobile users. It has been working with customers for more than 200 years.

• Cash rewards: Bank of America offers several cash back credit cards with good rewards, including one for students.

• Secured credit card: If used responsibly for 12 months, it’s possible to graduate to an unsecured credit card with Bank of America. The 20.49 percent APR is a little high, but it’s not an issue if the bill is paid off every month.

• Credit card for paying down balances: The BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards credit card lets you earn $25 per quarter when you pay more than the minimum amount due, up to $100 per year.

• Zero percent introductory offers: Several cards have these offers for purchases and balance transfers. Read the terms and conditions carefully so you know when the promotion ends.

• Sign-up bonuses: Many of Bank of America's credit cards offer generous sign-up bonuses if you meet the spending requirements within the time requirement.

• Well-designed, user-friendly website: The bank has made it easy to view the rates, fees and rewards for their cards. This makes it easier to understand and choose the card that’s best for you.

• Reputation: Bank of America is a trusted name in the credit card industry.

• Convenience: It has branches all over the world that are easy to access.

• Best for: Consumers who are looking for either travel or cash back credit cards. Also, those who carry a balance and want incentive to pay down their balances.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Bank of America Credit Cards Company Information