Bank of America Credit Cards
1.05/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Bank of America Credit Cards

We are official Bank of America reps, here to help, listen & learn from our customers.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 14, 2017

1601 Bank of America Credit Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I called to get the balance on my credit card and was provided an amount. I PAID the exact amount that was provided. The following month I received a new bill in the mail with INTEREST to be paid. It is unclear to me why and where this interest came from. If the system tells you WHAT is due and you pay it there should be no additional charges. I called to dispute this. As the statement CLEARLY indicates that the bill was paid in full. I was given the runaround and no one was willing to work with me on waiving this amount. I have paid my bill on time every month, all they would do was talk to me like I was an idiot.

I know from experience with others that they will reverse $38.00 late fees but no one was willing to work with me on a $17.04 interest fee...after the BILL WAS PAID IN FULL. Card had not been used in months. It is my opinion that BofA was not clear and simply unwilling to do the right thing here. BUYER BEWARE IS WHAT NEEDS TO BE SAID HERE.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Why is there a no stars option? I've been an account holder for 12 years with this company. First let me ask if my credit card account has been closed why have I accumulated months of interest? So I had the misfortune of losing my wallet. I know a replacement debit card is $5. My DL, BC, SS everything was in it. I went to the branch that I've been going to for years explained my situation and nothing. I had my old DL. All the info should be the same except the dates right? Guess not because if they enter the information the system will not accept it. I know for a fact the dates on the DL I just lost, starts on my birthday this year and expires 7 years later. So I could not do anything for 4 days. All I had was $2.50 in my cup holder. They told me to call for an express card that will be next day delivery. $15 charge that put my account in negative. Next day turned into 3.

Moving on, it's only been within these past few months that I find myself calling the service department too often. I've gotten four unauthorized recurring charges within the past two weeks. Not sure how this could happen because I did not provide account and routing numbers to these companies just old debit info. Quite strange that after months of no issues when I get this new card the problems just keep coming. After the first recent issue I put a stop payment causing my account to be even more negative. If the unauthorized payment already caused your account to be negative why would the bank not wait until the funds were there before they put in a $30 charge for stopping future payments? You're the bank and you can't stop this charged that was just submitted 2 hours ago. It takes longer than that to process.

Anyway after that two weeks later there's another charge from the same company... but because they entered "different identifier" I need to pay again for another stop payment? What? As for the other two instances, subscriptions that were set for cancellation. One was cancelled in September even now that I'm thinking about it. So how is this happening? What's stranger is when I go to the account page with these charging companies, they have my new card info but again I just got this card within the past month and have been tight with using this new information for this very reason. If you ask me BOA is cahoots with these businesses. After reviewing so many similar complaints on numerous websites within the month if October alone. There's something not right with this company.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

My father, who is 79, has a credit card that was opened and charged without his knowledge. Together we spoke with BofA on 10/17/2017 (800-732-9194) and Alex informed us that I was added to his account to assist, as his daughter and POA. Thereafter, I tried to request copies of the bank statements and was told I must go into a branch with POA. I traveled from Alabama to Pensacola and met with a BofA representative after 30 minutes to no avail. He said the POA has to be "certified". The POA was created by an attorney and executed before witnesses with notary and he said it would have to be mailed to Texas and it would not be accepted as it was not "certified."

I called today (after 20 minutes on hold) to ask for a MAILING ADDRESS to send a written request for this information for my father and was told by the Customer Service Department that they COULD NOT provide me with any information about the mailing address to request copies that I had to go into a branch and there are NO branches in Alabama. My Father is in a nursing home, I have POA and I'm trying to get this resolved and have received NO assistance from BofA, even after my Father told Alex on 10/17/2017 that it was acceptable to discuss the account; but the representative today (11/3/2017) indicated this was not outlined on the account?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I have been a cardholder and customer for over 15 years. I recently was traveling extensively in South America and found that BOA had a bizarre charge on my account. I did not see my email account or statements for a few months. I was contacted by phone from one of my other credit cards to say that BOA had sent a very negative report and affected my credit rating. I never received a call from BOA. In checking this out, I found that an inappropriate charge of $38 was charged to my account.

In May a card fee was charged to my account for $59.00. I didn't know that credit cards still do that. Upon my return, and getting a chance to respond to my other credit card companies, I found that my balance is now $251.00 and a credit revoke is on my account. Needless to say, it is beyond dismaying. I have just spent an hour on the phone; first with collections who transferred me to dispute who found out that no one is available on the weekends in credit. Bank of America has $2.25 Trillion in assets and cannot supply customer service on the weekends. They had all my contact information, cell phone #, home #, and never bothered to call. 15 years with car loan and credit card... They made their money off of me. Other card companies called to say something had affected my credit rating. And they call when they see an odd charge. Not BOA. Still unresolved. Angry in PA.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

BOA canceled an online approved transaction 8 hours after it had been approved. I lost the purchase and had to reorder using different CC. Lost place in line and now will receive the product with 4 week delay. I cut up the card and immediately cancelled. Will never do business with them again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

One after many calls and spending at least 8 hours on the phone with them, I was defrauded by a company. The bank did nothing to take into account my side of this situation. The owner of the company that defrauded me has been in jail. I have since closed my account with them. I would not recommend any interaction with this bank.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I've been a Bank of America customer for 9 years. My mother was a customer for 30 years. I recently been trying to update my iTunes billing info because it ask me every month. This week it didn’t go as accordingly and keeps saying card is declined. I have finally got in touch with an associate and was told it could be the provider. I called Apple after hanging up with Bank of America to see what could be done. 4 hours pass and I call today October 26 2017 and I was waiting for another associate to tell me what was going on with my card. 20 minutes later he tells me I’ve been on a 24-hour lockout that started today. I am a working citizen and it takes me 1 whole hour to drive to work. I asked him if there was a resolution to this issue and I was denied any help. God forbid my car runs out of gas and I can’t get home. They would be held responsible.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Had an unrecognized charge of $500 in my credit card account in April 22, 2017. I called the bank, dispute the fraud, charge goes back to my favor, got a new card. However a month later, I received a letter stating I’m the benefit of this transaction so the money bounced back to my account and I’m responsible to pay it. I dispute the 2nd time with proof (I have another credit card by BOA, and I use that more often), with certify mail. Got a letter from bank, saying I will hear them back in 30 days. The transaction is made in Florida Universal Studio, and I live in LA, never been to or plan to go to Florida. I have not received any email confirmation regarding this transaction either.

After 30 days, I hear nothing back from bank. I called again, they closed my case without acknowledging me!! So I dispute the 3rd time! On August 11. I asked why they close my case without acknowledging, and I have the right to ask for proof. The rep told me it was done online, and the info matches me, so they didn't went into my favor and decide to close my case. Different rep give me different story! Another rep told me she cannot see this is an online transaction. So I decide to talk to universal studio, and the customer service check my info, they said they never received a payment from me, by this credit card, by this amount in March to MAY!!!! Universal offer to help me to talk to the bank, she gave me their accounting department number. Therefore I give it to the bank. The rep said she will let the investigator know, and she has input into their system and she said the investigator will call me back.

Today Oct 26th, I heard nothing. They didn't call the merchandise also! The whole communication and I got the answer are done within an hour. BOA takes 6 months, till today, still didn't resolve it. I even gave them the number, like holding the spoon to feed the baby. This is what they should be communicating with the merchandise not me! I suspect this is how they swallow the customer money, since this transaction didn't go through to the merchandise at all. The investigator maybe a GHOST? Why I cannot reach them at all? I even walk into the branch, talk to the manager, they cannot do anything. All rep either gave me a nonsense reason, or gave me a generic answer to tell me to wait. Even supervisor do the same too.

You can never reach to the investigator. Wait 30 days? 60 days? 2 billing cycle? and wait some more? And they will never contact you. It’s like a marathon and see who ever gave up and pay the transaction and shut up about it. They even dare to charge me interest and late fee now too!!! 500 is not a lot to hire a lawyer, but it’s enough to screw me out who just started out in LA.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I had BOA checkings account since 2 and half years and also BOA cash rewards credit card since 2015. I was maintaining good balance (asset) on my checkings account (more than $10k since some time) and also using my CC very responsibly (limiting balance below 10%). They never increased my credit limit in the past 2 years even though my credit score is more than 760 (Transunion, Equifax), 780 (FICO). I was keeping my credit usage below 10% and making timely payments (in full) still they didn't offer me good credit Apr and never increased my limit on the CC. When I asked for the limit increase they want to run a hard inquiry on the credit report which I didn't like. My other CC limits are way above it and I never missed a payment and my overall credit usage across all CC is below 10% still they don't do any good for BOA.

I am utterly disappointed with the Apr and limit they gave after all being loyal BOA customer as I am getting married next month asked for Apr waiver to 0% for all the future purchases for at least 6 months as I need to do shopping and all, so I want to use my BOA CC as I have my checkings account with BOA. To conclude, don't look towards BOA for a credit card as it won't do any good (they won't give high limit nor the lower APR) if you already had good score better to check CC like discover, AMEX, CHASE. This is my personal terrible bitter experience with BOA.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

BOA closed my 3 long-term 1 personal 2 business credit cards with balances... Never late. Even paid more than min. due. Been on phone 2.5 hours last 48 hours being transferred around. BOA first said it was security reasons due to possible info breach from "undisclosed creditor" then said it was info from TransUnion... I have Lifelock & watch my accts. closely. No fraud activity... My head is reeling over this because I'm in escrow now on invest property & I was planning on refi my house after close... I'm at a loss over this & what it will do to my FICO...

As I follow the rules and plan miserly to keep a roof over myself & 6 kids' head just when I could see a financial reprieve in the near future after years of careful planning & doing without frivolous whims... This faceless heartless stroke of a key equates instant financial ruin... I could see if I even had 1 late something ugly happening but no lates ever... What's the silver lining. Oh that's right BOA actually said "there's a letter in the mail." How does that help me sleep & eat now... What gives that you get closed out from willingly happily paying your debt. Is paying on time every time no longer a good thing or is that over my G.E.D. reasoning?

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I have a very bad experience with Bank of America, because my work reason, I travel oversea a lot, so I can't check on my credit card often, and I don't use it that often. Once I check it, I found out, I've been charge $9.99 every month from company named SCRIBD, I don't know this company, and I never take any of their service. I called BOA, they say they don't know either, and ask me to contact SCRIBD, then I searched this company, they don't have a call number to call, only an email, and I sent email to them, they don't reply.

I don't know what to do, and I cannot get my money back, so it force me closed the previous credit card, then reopen a new credit card, and I found the same charge shown up on my new credit card. This is ridiculous, how come this happen? How could they get my new credit card information. And how BOA permit a payment charge without my authorization? And more worse, BOA report a late payment on my credit report, when I try to settle this matter. Now they ruined my credit life, I have been calling them, and they just ignore me.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Paid in full. 2 month later got a bad credit report. They charged a interest rate on amount that was paid in full. Bad for me is on credit report as late never got a bill. I found out when another bank ran my report that I knew about this.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I've been paying my BOA Credit Card cash rewards on time. I also keep extra available credit over $100 because we used it all the time. Today I was told my credit card account was closed. Why? I've been a great customer.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

BOA has let me down. I have been a BOA customer for 20 years. About 3 years ago I got a secured credit card through them to rebuild my credit. Paid on time and after 10 months was credited my money back and given a unsecured card. After about another 10 months my limit was tripled. I felt my responsibility with this card was paying off. I never missed a payment and always used my card. Well I was injured in an accident and put on disability for 4 months. I have never not worked. Well what a time to need your credit card right? I go to the dentist to receive some emergency services and my card was declined?? I was shocked because I had plenty available credit. Well I called BOA and was told they closed my account due to high balances I had on other cards. That it had nothing to do with my relationship with them! I was in disbelief! Way to kick someone when their down BOA. My advice to anyone - stay away from BOA credit cards.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Bank of America allowed a dishonest public relations company to bill me for almost $30,000 dollars without delivering what was contractually promised and then stood behind the company claiming "credit policies". This despite proof the merchant failed to deliver what was in the contract, and also after BOA told me "The case is closed", in those exact words. They then proceeded to refund the money. Almost 2 months later, BOA reversed, placing all that money back on my credit card claiming the merchant had answered, despite the fact it was one day later than allowed by their own policies.

After exhaustive contact with BOA, including writing letters to every member of the BOA executive management team and their board of directors, they announced there was nothing they could do because of "credit policies", despite the fact they were not made clear and the fact their own representative said "The case is closed". Closed means over in most languages. Not to Bank of America. It's nothing more than a dodge to make you think they are working to protect you, the consumer. My question to them was, "If the case was actually not closed, why did you refund the money?" They claimed "that's procedure", again noting something that was never made clear.

This multi-billion dollar corporation refused to take incontrovertible evidence of fraud and protect a 30 year customer from being defrauded. They also have offered nothing in the way of remediation. It's all about the profit, every nickel they can get. Allow me to also note there was incontrovertible evidence that the merchant refused to mediate the monies paid and the lack of contractual effort, and then proceeded to lock me out of my own corporate website, essentially cyber-theft. BOA never once addressed this as part of the fraud and theft. In essence, this company used Bank of America and their myriad of practices and misleading policies to fleece me out of $30,000. And Bank of America could care less about assisting in dishonest merchants.

Bank of America is not there to protect the consumer. They are there to make money for the stockholders. They are not clear with their policies and use the obfuscation to profit. To them, consumers are little more than fleas. Do NOT trust Bank of America under any circumstance. Cancel your credit cards and stop feeding their greed. Protect yourself by seeking out another business that is reputable and has actual customer service.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I was short on my payoff and the next month I owed $20 and some change. I paid that and a few weeks later I get a bill for $1.50. I guess for interest on the $20 and change. I called customer service to see if they can just waive the fee and end this already. The CSR said, “Let me see about taking care of that.” Silence... then she comes back, “I am unable to take care of that but you can just pay the $1.50.” I asked if I could speak to her supervisor and she put me on hold for just a couple seconds and then said he said no and was too busy to speak to me. I have been with them for over 10 years I would think they could help me out with $1.50 but I guess they really need it more than me. This company really does not care about people. I have had the card for a long time and they have already made thousands in interest on me. Stupid on my end but you live and learn but they really needed $1.50 more. I better not get a bill for interest on that next month!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Why is it that with almost every other credit card setting up automatic payments is painless through their websites? With BofA you have to FAX or snail mail forms to authorize money to be paid from your checking account. Frustrating!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I called to find out why my card was not working; I was informed that my card was "deactivated" because I did not answer a security question correctly (they had the wrong information). The gentleman verified my info and said he reactivated my card. I tried to use the card and when it was declined ($1400 was available). I called the 800 number to find out that he "accidentally" canceled my card. I am out of state, with three kids and no access to my funds. Needless to say, they could not reactivate the card. They could only mail me a card and I wont receive it for 48hours. Stranded, no food, no money, little gas, three kids... thanks a lot Bank of Poop!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I just started using my new Bank Of America Card at in September. My first payment isn't due till next Month in November. I have 18 Months with no APR. Good Deal right? Yesterday I saw my bill for next Month it was under $40.00. I spent little over $400.00 in 3 to 5 days. Yesterday was the first time I saw what my first payment would be in November the amount was under $40.00 for the first payment. This morning I went into my account online and now the first payment is up to $270.00! What? I have a "Discover It" Card and I've gone over $1,000.00 in spending and not once a payment was over $35.00 with no APR also with Discover It for the first 12 Months. How can B.O.A. jump from a $35.00 bill for next Month November first payment to up to over $250.00 first payment in one day? This will be paid off next week in total after I call them today and ask why.

I never saw anything like this in my entire life paying on a credit card Monthly. I was going to pay half of the bill anyways by the due date and pay the other half the next Month. Now? I'm paying it off! Plus the fact you cannot write to them anywhere in a message center on their website where your account is on. You have to call them in order to get a hold of them. I was so irate to see such a high amount to pay for a first payment due. Yesterday when I saw a low amount for first payment which was normal for a payment on a credit card I figured I would have paid half of the bill anyway. But, whoever makes the rules on how much the Monthly payments are is crazy! How can they make up amounts in thin air? I'm going to go with another company after paying this card off next week! No more playing around with this Company again.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I live overseas! This year I came to San Francisco for 4 days only to attend the graduation of my daughter. I used the credit card twice, after I left some ** from one of those two places copied my card and used it about 20 times, total $200. I called the fraud department and I told them the card was with me all the time, I have the airlines tickets shows when I came and when I left the US, plus Joel reservation plus passport control. They did not believe me, I am an airline pilot 62 years of age, very good credit. I closed the account with them and was very disappointed. I told them $200 is nothing to me, but it is a matter of principle and moral. I never had this problem before and was really very disappointed

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

In early September of 2017 while I was browsing on internet, I saw that Bank of America was offering balance transfer with no fees if you do balance transfer in the first 60 days. I decided to apply for this card and enter the credit card that I wanted Bank of America to transfer the money to. Guess what this bank did? They decided to transfer the money to completely different account and completely different institution. Now as of today 09/19/2017, I owe Bank of America $8000 which I do not know who they sent it to at all. I will file a complaint with Attorney General Office and also will contact my attorney in this matter. Please stay as far as you could from this institution if you do not want to run into such issues.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

EDD uses Bank of America to distribute funds. When EDD notified them that funds were issued to me. B of A failed to send me a new card and told me that they wait for the cardholder to contact them. Then they gave me 2 options... wait 2 MORE weeks to pay my bills or pay $10 to have it shipped to me via UPS. Not really a choice is it? We all know they pay a flat rate for UPS. Why am I having to pay for their mistake in the first place?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I officially hate Bank of America. After locking my card due to 'suspicious transactions' I called to confirm I had made all of the purchases. The problem should have cleared then and there -- but alas! Did they have a wild goose chase in store for me. I received a call about 10 minutes later informing that they were absolutely unable to verify my identity over the phone. In which case, my two options were: visit a branch or send through my passport, driver’s license, debit card and 3 signatures through a humble fax machine. With the nearest branch a four-hour drive, it was a tough decision -- but I chose the latter.

After a joyous hour’s bike ride to the library facsimile and back home, I called in to finally put an end to it all. Taking into account my lack of experience with the ancient fax machine, I believed I had nailed it by faxing my personal documents in multiple different formats. "Let me check if we've received it ma'am." *Placed on a lengthy hold.* "Ma'am, all the copies you sent through are not legible." "Well, what do you want me to do?" There only was one thing I could do. And when you've spent your last $5 cash on bread, desperate times call for desperate measures.

So I hopped on my bike again for another mission and began detecting local businesses in search of a quality fax. It seemed that even the high end facsimiles didn't make the 'legibility' cut. However, I was so kindly informed (after my many missions) that there is actually an online service called MyFax. I was smug with confidence that I could finally get my plastic card back in action now that my faxes were legible... And then, out of nowhere, all my efforts were stabbed in the gut with three soul crushing words: 'debit card purged'. Sorry there's nothing we can do but issue you a new card which will come in 6 business days."

So as you can imagine, by this stage I was just praising the heavens for Venmo and friends. After all this and more*, I can breathe sweet relief that I will never once more have to deal with Bank of America as my account is now closed. Thank you. *Not previously noted: appalling dealings with customer service, close to all daylight hours spent on the phone and three hours waiting for a callback to be informed the department was shut.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER 'SERVE US'. I submitted online 2 weeks ago for travel notice to be able to use my card out of my normal geographic area. I tried to use it (from home) last night to book a hotel room. I was declined due to a question of fraudulent use! When I called customer service, I had to wait 15 minutes to get someone and then was told that there was no travel alert on my account. I was transferred to an automatic phone service to set up my travel notice and although I speak clearly without a regional accent and have a good landline phone, the damn BofA phone system had trouble recognizing what I said. If I have any more trouble with this card, it gets cut up and goes in the trash and BofA will never get me as a customer again.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I called to report my Credit as missing tonight. It was about 930 pm on east coast. I was on hold for over an hour for a call that took about 3 minutes. I am furious and will cancel the remainder of my BOA cards. This is the worst service I have experienced with a bank or credit card company. I once had their stock but if I were still owning their stock I would pull out immediately as this company will not survive.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I have applied a credit card of BOA in Nov 2016. But I have never received it. It was stolen and misused. I reported the incident to bank. They revoked the fraudulent charges but somehow they have levied $58.13 on my account and every month they are charging me $8 and penalty. This charge is closed but Bank of America charges me. I called Bank of America for 3 hours from India on 29th August but still they have not solved my problem and not made nil balance on my account. Bank has promised me it would be zero balance and they would close my account. But they have not done. I am pissed off by calling them and they is waiting of approximate 50 minutes every time I call them.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I have called Bank of America over 200 times! I know most people exaggerate however I am not exaggerating one bit! 200 ** times! And they still decline my card every 3 transactions to the same ** companies for my business!! Not new transactions causing the declines but the same ** one I have been using for over 10 years!! Imagine having to call Bank of America and be on hold every 3 ** transactions??? They are nothing but liars! The worst ** company I have ever encountered!!! Worst than Comcast!!! Do not use this company ever!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Called the number from the credit card statement for the 1st time to dispute a charge. Spoke to someone right away. But, she was the wrong dept. She transferred me. After holding for one hour, the Gentleman from Tennessee cut me off at 11:10 am PST after I stated why I was calling. Apparently, he didn't want to help me. Called back. Now the call is a 2.5-hour wait per the auto teller. This is NOT customer service. If their phone system or employees are so bad and cuts people off, they should take our numbers and call back, should the call be cut off. That's customer service!!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I have some major concerns regarding the review and/or investigation conducted by Bank of America (BOA) because a decision was made to close the complaint filed with BOA based on evidence that you received from Bluebell Relocation Services and not the consumer. The first complaint was filed on April 9, 2017, second complaint was filed on July 5, 2017, and third complaint was filed on August 15, 2017.

I'm requesting a thorough and detail investigating in regard to resolving an unauthorized charge against my credit card. I have made several attempts to resolve this claim, however Bank of America indicated that they are unable to retrieve the funds and they are accepting the documentation received from the merchant. I have provided 45 pages of documentation showing facts and pertain evidence about my complaint. I informed the representative at Bank of America that I didn't give permission for the merchant to credit my visa card for $4,635.00. I also questioned whether the merchant provided documentation showing authorization to charge my credit card, however the representative stated that they don't care about the signature and I needed to hire an Attorney.

I have provided documentation to show that the parties in question charged my credit card without my authorization. I received copies of the documentation from Bluebell Relocation that clearly shows that the documents were altered which seems to be acceptable to Bank of America. These facts should have been taken into consideration before a final decision was made to close my claim:

The letter dated August 8, 2017 states that I provided information that was reviewed by someone in the dispute department, however the letter stated that BOA tried to work with the merchant to get the funds back, but all options have failed. I called Bank of America on August 14, 2017 to state that I was not accepting the dispute decision and I provided some additional documentation including the official contract showing that I did not give the merchant authorization to withdraw funds from my account. I thought your loyalty is with the consumer and not with the merchant. The representative stated that once I disclosed my credit card information to the merchant, then it is no longer considered a fraudulent activity.

The letter dated June 17, 2017, July 5, 2017 and August 8, 2017 states that the temporary credit for $4,635.00 would be reversed based on evidence that you received from Bluebell Relocation. Two transactions were charged on my credit card of $950.00 and $4,635.00. I gave authorization for $950.00, but I did not give authorization for Bluebell to charge $4,635.00.

I did not give Bluebell Relocation permission to process charges on my visa card under Regulation E and Z. Therefore, this was an unauthorized purchase initiated by Bluebell Relocation "without actual authority to initiate such transfer." You are in violation of Regulation E dispute process because BOA failed investigate my complaint within the 45-day timeframe.

Bluebell stated they would pack our furniture on March 26, 2017 and deliver the furniture to our new home on March 30, 2017; however, after the first day of the move, the company threaten to keep our furniture unless we paid additional money to get our furniture delivery at the date that was agreed within the contract. I refused to pay any additional funds, but they decided to move our furniture. Later, I found out that Bluebell Relocation charged my card. I immediately filed a police report and I filed a complaint with the Department of Transportation.

The claim was filed on April 9, 2017, but the investigated didn't occur until June 2, 2017. The acknowledgement letter states that the investigation should have taken 45 days to complete which didn't happen, so BOA is in violation of Regulation E because the letter was sent to the Merchant on April 29, 2017 which delayed the completion of the investigation. The bank should have investigated the unauthorized charges within 10 days of receiving notification from me.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

BOA has its customer services totally inaccessible behind inapplicable menu choices both online and over the phone. Now they aren't answering the phone at all, but rather pressing customers to let them "call back" at some later time that is convenient to them. If you decline that option, they torture you with more endless promotion as you wait for an undetermined length of time.

I have what is supposed to be a "Travel Card", yet when needed to use the cash advance option when in an emergency overseas, was unable to access it, and was on hold for 30 minutes (overseas in an emergency...) - a regular customer services rep stayed on the line up to a point, but in the end, their "emergency services" people never answered, even when accessed by one of their staff.

I requested an increase in the meager cash advance option they give because debit cards are evidently becoming a problem overseas. They declined, although my credit rating is excellent and another company just offered 9X what BOA has limited me to in terms of a cash advance option (and the other company offered over 3X more as a credit limit as well). I will be canceling this card on return from this next trip and hope to not have to use them again.

Bank of America expert review by Beverly Harzog

Bank of America is one of the largest financial institutions in the country. It’s a global leader in wealth management, corporate and investment banking and more. Bank of America is very convenient because it offers 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs. The bank has 32 million online banking users and 19 million mobile users. It has been working with customers for more than 200 years.

• Cash rewards: Bank of America offers several cash back credit cards with good rewards, including one for students.

• Secured credit card: If used responsibly for 12 months, it’s possible to graduate to an unsecured credit card with Bank of America. The 20.49 percent APR is a little high, but it’s not an issue if the bill is paid off every month.

• Credit card for paying down balances: The BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards credit card lets you earn $25 per quarter when you pay more than the minimum amount due, up to $100 per year.

• Zero percent introductory offers: Several cards have these offers for purchases and balance transfers. Read the terms and conditions carefully so you know when the promotion ends.

• Sign-up bonuses: Many of Bank of America's credit cards offer generous sign-up bonuses if you meet the spending requirements within the time requirement.

• Well-designed, user-friendly website: The bank has made it easy to view the rates, fees and rewards for their cards. This makes it easier to understand and choose the card that’s best for you.

• Reputation: Bank of America is a trusted name in the credit card industry.

• Convenience: It has branches all over the world that are easy to access.

• Best for: Consumers who are looking for either travel or cash back credit cards. Also, those who carry a balance and want incentive to pay down their balances.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog

Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Bank of America Credit Cards Company Information