Find a Credit Cards partner

Bank of America Credit Cards

3.9/5 (1573 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Bank of America Credit Cards

Bank of America offers mortgage loans nationwide and has lending specialists available online and at branch locations. If you’re searching for a mortgage loan, loan refinancing or a home equity loan, visit Bank of America’s website to apply.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Bank of America Credit Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America Credit Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

The number one reason never to get a Bank of America Credit Card is because when you bank with the same organization you have a credit card with Bank of America takes advantage of this and their collection practices are very very unethical.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

ALL BofA cards seem to have either an annual fee or as this card, a foreign transaction fee, unlike those of other banks (e.g. Capital One). NOWHERE on the literature that came with the card was this mentioned. The previous one I had from them had an annual fee after one year; at least this was mentioned in 'small fine print'. What is the use of being a BofA Preferred Customer? What does one get for the trouble?

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

If these banks fear aggression of outside hijacking then you might as well hang it up. This review is based on access and what I believe a control due to fear. Please know my husband possessed this card many many yrs ago and there were multiple problems accessing which created an issue paying the card. What seemed every other month I had to change passwords, a password recorded and right next to me used several times, while trying to access the account they continued their denial access. This lead calling BOA what seemed hours unlocking accounts. Today it seems not much has changed. The hoops one must jump through to access the app which is lacking, which I then deleted, and the internet online access deemed too much time. Something that should take minutes turn to hours most of us do not have just to pay a CC bill.

When your fears start to impose on your customers and their access, then you turn around and blame your customer, it seems this fear based company will at some point cease to exist. Also, this company decreased my husband's card based on his credit. An excellent BOA payer and had good standing, but due to his off-boarding from a fraud-based timeshare in return affecting his credit. BOA made that decision, I ask for what, his score did not prohibit him from paying his balances every month, did it? Accessing your credit score without your consent, given to them by nonprofit credit score companies. These Credit Report companies who knowingly look to disrupt your life, holding you hostage purposely at the request of the banks and lenders, appeasing their agendas to charge you higher interests to benefit only them, forget about you.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2021

My ex-wife continued to use my credit card that was in my social security number and not a joint account. I reported it as fraud and they declined me because my ex was smart enough to change the address on the account to her own. I refuted stating that I never once resided in her apartment address and they did not thoroughly investigate and claimed that purchases were made when "we lived together". I offered to provide the divorce paperwork showing the legal date of divorce, and consent to look into my legal addresses, my sales agreement from when I sold the house we bought together and my current renters agreement to show that the dates lined up. They were of no help, did not contact me during the investigation to confirm anything and rejected my fraud claims. I would not remember this company for security and safety. I have had much more success with my security and safety with their competitors of whom I will not name here.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I applied for a BofA credit card in July. I kept checking their online portal for updates because it was taking so long to get any information. There was no useful information online - the entire 4 weeks all it said was that it was still in review and to check back later. The portal was useless. I finally received a letter in the mail 4 weeks later just to inform me that they needed more information in order to completely process my application. I called the number on the letter and it was the fraud department. I have never had any fraudulent activity on my credit so that was a complete surprise but I provided them with the information that they asked for. They said I was verified and all set and that my application would go to review again.

A few days goes by and I checked my status online and it said that my application was not approved. I was baffled because I have excellent credit. I call the fraud department back and they said my application was in fact still in review and that they were having issues with the online system changing statuses to that when a review was re-started. Unbelievable that a major bank has an issue like this that they know about but does not get resolved. This was just the beginning of the issues I had with them. It took another 2 weeks for my application to be reviewed and the fraud department instructed me that the only way for me to get information about my application and why it was taking so long was for me to go into the nearest BofA bank and show them 2 forms of id and get verified.

At this point I'm wondering if it because I'm ** because they have been known for their shady practices when it comes to ** people. So I go into the branch anyway because I want to get this process over with. I was supposedly verified by the branch representative during my visit. I called BofA a few days later because I am furious at how long this process is taking me and I need answers. The representative tells me that I was never verified at the branch and argues with me about the process. He wouldn't talk to me about my account at all and he just kept repeating that I would have to go to the branch (I had already done so). I told him I was not going to do that again because I had already done everything that they asked.

I thought about the call and I remembered that the person on the phone mentioned the Aug 24th date (which was the date that I went into the branch) so I decided to call back and speak to someone. This was about an hour or 2 later. A different representative answered my call and all of a sudden he was able to see that I was at the branch and I was properly verified. I then ask him about my credit card application status and he said he cannot see anything except that it went back to review on the 24th. I asked to speak to someone that could be helpful and he said his supervisor would be able to see more detailed information and he would get her on the line.

The supervisor gets on the line and she tells me to verify my phone number and then she said that she would call me back from another line to verify my phone number and then give me account information. She hung up on me and never called me back. I then tried calling again later that day. I spoke to another representative that was not helpful in the least. All any of these people do was give me fake apologies and they did not help me in the least bit. I still don't know what the status of my application was or what the issue is with it that is taking so long to process. I was also told that I couldn't get a copy of my credit report through them and I had to get it on my own which I know for a fact that it's against the law. I work for a bank myself.

This entire experience has left me frustrated, upset, and feeling disrespected and treated as less than what I should. I gave them private information about myself in that application. The least they could do was be helpful and provide me with a decision in a timely manner and tell me why the process is taking so long. I am still waiting on a decision but as soon as they provide it I'm telling them to kick rocks.

I already applied for another credit card through their direct competitor and I received instant decision, a high credit line and a low interest rate. If I didn't have excellent credit there is no way that would have happened. I need answers. But more so, I need BofA to be inconvenienced in some way for all of the inconvenience they have caused me. This is the worst bank (and company) I've even done business with and I will NEVER do business with them again.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

Seriously!! On 080421 I made my cc payment towards my credit card of $291.?? And first thing this morning I have my personal checking account (different bank) overdrawn by nearly 8 grand. What the Hell?? So checking for what came through of course it was Bank of America payment. I tried my best to find the email usually sent after the payment was made, it’s missing. And now because they pulled all that money, BofA closed out that card. Now I’m just waiting for both BofA and my personal bank to open so I can try my best to get to the bottom of this crap. NEVER has this happened from BofA nor Any other credit card I have. Gosh!! Bank of America use to be the standard for banking, but Not over the past many years. #StayAwayFromBofA

Original review: April 27, 2021

This bank denied charges made due to suspicion of possible fraud, then unlocked the card. I received documentation from the store, they cancelled my order on the day of denial. This bank states it is keeping the charge pending half a month, stating they released the funds after their denial, (over $1000) stating "the purchase may go through", despite the stores cancellation email. The first bank call said the charge would drop off in 5 days. The second bank call (manager) gave an estimate of additional 5 plus work days, refusing to remove the denial and placing blame/responsibility on the store that immediately cancelled the order after the bank denied it. I do NOT recommend this bank

Original review: April 16, 2021

B of A has been a nightmare over the years, if it wasn't for Alaska Airlines card I would have nothing to do with them. I have had a problem getting my bills so I could pay them on time. I have had payments made to the wrong account a couple of times. Once they fixed it the other time they acknowledged it but still charged me a late fee and interest. My credit score has been consistently in the high 700s and in the 800s. I think I know now why they are so profitable, I pay my entire credit card bills off each month. I figure they don't like that so they duplicitously find a way to charge more.

Original review: April 15, 2021

This is the worst credit card I have ever had in 40 yrs. If I could give negative stars I would. I have spent hours on the phone to unlock my card. I have a credit on this card (transferred from my bank), that is being held for 10 business days and I can not use the card at all until then. I was planning on paying my contractor, but can't use the card. I can't write him a check, because my bank authorized the amount within 24 hours, so the money is no longer in my checking account. So now my contractor has to wait 14 days (yup, that is 10 business days) to get paid.

I have documentation of the cs reps, managers, names, and employees # that I have spoken to, and they have given me conflicting information. I have to say everyone I talked to was very kind and apologetic, and understood how absurd this is, but only a review board could unlock my card, and there was no possible way to expedite this before the 14 days. So my account shows this credit, but I can't use it because it is lock and no one there can unlock it. IMHO, this is fraudulent. I can't wait until the credit goes through so I can ditch this card.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Tried for 10 days to close account. Was instructed to do it over the phone, can’t reach a live person at a branch or the “business center (!)”, can’t hold or leave a message, then call ends with “goodbye”. You are more likely to win the lotto or get struck by lightning than to get help with their “walk in service”!

Bank of America author review by Beverly Harzog

Bank of America is one of the largest financial institutions in the country. It’s a global leader in wealth management, corporate and investment banking and more. Bank of America is very convenient because it offers 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs. The bank has 32 million online banking users and 19 million mobile users. It has been working with customers for more than 200 years.

• Cash rewards: Bank of America offers several cash back credit cards with good rewards, including one for students.

• Secured credit card: If used responsibly for 12 months, it’s possible to graduate to an unsecured credit card with Bank of America. The 20.49 percent APR is a little high, but it’s not an issue if the bill is paid off every month.

• Credit card for paying down balances: The BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards credit card lets you earn $25 per quarter when you pay more than the minimum amount due, up to $100 per year.

• Zero percent introductory offers: Several cards have these offers for purchases and balance transfers. Read the terms and conditions carefully so you know when the promotion ends.

• Sign-up bonuses: Many of Bank of America's credit cards offer generous sign-up bonuses if you meet the spending requirements within the time requirement.

• Well-designed, user-friendly website: The bank has made it easy to view the rates, fees and rewards for their cards. This makes it easier to understand and choose the card that’s best for you.

• Reputation: Bank of America is a trusted name in the credit card industry.

• Convenience: It has branches all over the world that are easy to access.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Bank of America Credit Cards Company Information