Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
Bank of America Credit Cards
3.49/5
Based on 1,235 ratings submitted in the last year

Bank of America Credit Cards

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

1742 Bank of America Credit Cards Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I have been with Bank of America for 28 years. I never had a problem until now. I had two credit cards with a total credit line of $35,000, my FICO score is 788. They sent me a 0% offer for 12 months. I decided to use $20,000 for the 12 months. A month after I used the 0% they closed both of my accounts. Reason - I used too much of the credit line. I really don't need these cards as I have many others with similar credit lines but this is how the treat a good customer of 28 years and I have 1.3 million in my savings account with Bank of America. I moved my savings account to Wells Fargo and they issued me two new credit cards with credit lines of $55,000 total. I would suggest you do not use Bank of America. What a horrible bank.

Original review: July 23, 2019

I was 1 DAY late making my monthly payment (never been late before). I called them on the day I made my payment to see if I could get the service charge reversed and they said there is no service charge showing up yet, to call back that pm. I called back and they said there is no service charge showing up yet. I was informed that they can not reverse a fee until it shows up. So, the next am the late fee shows up! I called them back and was told, "Sorry we can not reverse the late fee?!" After spending over 38 minutes on the phone and talking to 1 associate, 1 floor manager, and 1 other manager I am told the same thing over and over!! They really don't care about the customer. :( I deal with multiple other credit card institutes and have NEVER been treated this poorly! I can not recommend Bank of America.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 23, 2019

On 06/05/2019, I paid off my Bank of America (BOA) Visa online. I selected the secondary bank account as the payment source. However, later when I checked online (06/13/2019), I found the default bank was charged the payment. Since I knew this was an error, I called right away to get the issue resolved...also called my bank. The associate took my explanation and saw the issue. I had her take the full payment balance from the correct account which was paid right away...but, when she verified the bank to pay the balance, it switched to the default bank. I made her aware of the error (again) and she had to manually correct it to the other bank account.

BOA accepted the payment and removed the $27 fee... The associate said that it was an online error since the same happened to her. I asked her if everything was resolved, she responded with a "yes" and that there shouldn't be another payment request from the wrong account. I also called my bank and they removed the insufficient fund fee of $29. I was proactive and wanted to make sure to protect my credit rating.

HOWEVER, although I had already paid the entire balance off, BOA re-sent a payment request to the wrong bank again, the second time. I called BOA, saw a large credit to my account online that BOA, and again I called and was told everything would be OK. Well, it happened for a 3rd time. I asked them is there any way to stop BOA from requesting a payment. I already paid the entire balance off. I got same explanation and was told they only will request twice, so don't worry, everything should be OK. The following week, I rec'd a second credit card for my husband so, I thought everything was fine BUT the following week, I received a letter from BOA that because they received a returned payment several times, they closed my account and also reported it. I was livid. I spent hours trying to rectify the situation from the beginning and was led to believe that it was resolved.

I finally contact the credit department (after the associate gave me a hard time). The credit department associate appeared to be understanding, BUT after going through the whole thing for the 5th time, she said that a solution would to be to re-open my account. If approved, it would not impact my credit rating because it would be as if it was never closed. Well she had us on hold for one-minute, then responded it wasn't approved.

The only way is to re-apply. I asked her did she look at all the conversations I had in the past. She said she could not access those conversations, then I asked if she checked my credit reports. She said "oh, I didn't have a chance to do that." Then I told her, why did we even do this. There was a big pause then, a little stutter when she responded with a lame answer. So, I was led to believe the issue was resolved but it wasn't. Each time I called and spoke to an associate. Their systems don't talk to each other. Why have it recorded? Doesn't make sense. Poor customer service!

Original review: July 17, 2019

After 20 odd years of paying via phone my credit card by my bussiness account also held by BofA I'm now told only my personal account will do! They say it's the new law.. None of my other credit cards insists on this! Martin

Original review: July 17, 2019

I filed a dispute with Bank of America on our business credit card. We paid for a website that was supposed to be built within 30 days back in February 2019. The website to this day July 17th has still not been received. The dispute was filed with BOA on March 18th. The website company had 45 days to respond. They lied about doing half of a site which we never saw, they are scammers. I found out that N Lite Corp, has done this to other companies. But they responded on May 13th. I called the bank 3 times to get update and no analysis was ever assigned to the dispute. I had to get 2 managers to try to get an analysis to talk to me and that was not until I got angry on June 24th, which was over a month later. The bank is slow about dealing with consumer issues but quick to call you if you late on your mortgage, car or credit card payment.

I was told they have lots of disputes, yea I bet because its backed up from waiting too long to respond. They need to hire more analysts or make the ones get off their butts and get work done. This is why BOA was a horrible bank years ago and the government bailed them out. Now they going right back into that same situation. Customer service act like they don't care if you say you're closing your accounts. I'm a premier customer and the manager acted like he didn't care about me moving my money to another institution. If he acted that way about my business I most certainly will be moving my accounts. They try to put it on Mastercard and Visa but that has nothing to do with the analysts doing their jobs in a timely manner. Customer disputes need to be handled with priority service. It's going on 6 months for my dispute for a service I paid for and never received. How clear cut is that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: July 13, 2019

I contested a credit card charge on my bill. B of A sent me forms to fill out which I did. Then they said my contested charge was denied BECAUSE I DIDN'T SEND THEM BACK THE FORMS. I called and the customer service person said "I don't understand this, I can see your filled out forms on my screen". So he re-opened the case. Then they sent me a letter saying I had not filled out the forms completely and had not given them everything they needed. They needed a copy of my sales receipt that I signed, but I explained it was a digital download (TurboTax) and there was no sales receipt that I signed! They then said I should have returned the item to the store! I said, "It's a digital download, I can't RETURN the ITEM to the store."

It's absolutely ridiculous. But you see they only allow you to contest charges because of the Fair Credit Billing Act, and if they do a lousy job who is out there going to enforce that Federal law with Bank of America? The Bureau of Consumer Protection really isn't much help. The Better Business Bureau also isn't much help. Bank of America has been getting away with messing over its customers for decades and little if anything can be done about it, it's too huge a corporation.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Visited the above location about WHY I being charged $1.50 balance on my statement when I had paid the balance ( $28.08 ) in Full on my last statement. Mind you I paid the previous statement in full well before the payment was to be paid. This was verified by the above mentioned bank location in person.

With a visit the the Bank, a visit with visiting Manager, a Relationship Banker and then the Branch Manager, a phone call to the Credit Card Department. I was told the $1.50 stems from an interest that was due from payment that was from a February Statement. Are you serious!!! Rather that the manager saying, "I'll cancel the $1.50, sorry for your inconvenience, thanks for your business," she took the $1.50 and deposited into my credit card account. And you wounder why I gave this branch ONE STAR.

Original review: June 27, 2019

062919- You would think that when you're traveling and weather changes happen, that a bank you spend 10's of thousands of dollars with, would protect your investment. I recently rented a car from Fox Rental Car. They didn't call me back after weather completely cancelled my trip, but they kept the rental car money. Days after trying to get a hold of them, not only did they not call me back, they never answered the dang phone! STOOOOOPID! So, I start a claim with Bank of America, I spend a lot of money on my credit card with them, you would think they would help.

They first send me a letter saying the dispute was approved, then later sent me a letter that there it would not. So I just got off the phone with Patrick and I tell you what, he tells me it's not the company's fault that you didn't get to the location, it's your fault and said, "There is nothing I can do for you!" So Fox Rental gets to keep $166.46 and I never even touched the car! I will be doing a review on all my YouTube channels of both companies. Customer service extremely poor. Choose a different bank, maybe try a small local bank instead of a big wealthy bank. It looks to me that most companies do not care about your well being at all. And maybe that's the best way to get rich. But, in my companies that isn't what I believe in! Bad business. If I could leave a negative star, I would.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Have been Bank of America customer for more than 20 years. I made an online credit card payment to B of A for over $4,900.00 dollars to a $49.00 balance. I misplace decimal. I called when I discovered mistake. B of A informed me I would have to call back in three days. I called back and gave them my bank information for funds to deposited into my other bank checking account. It has now been three days 6-25-2019. I called today and now informed it is delayed to July 2nd 2019. They use my money for free. I need money back now. Very poor customer service.

Original review: June 19, 2019

Bank of America's automatic payment software is faulty, customer service is hard to get a hold of because of long waits, and the particular person that answered my call was rude and kept me on the phone for long waiting time. I set up automatic payments with a person from Bank of America in January 2019 because I was charged a $25 late fee for the month of December 2018. I wanted to make sure I would not get any more late fees with Bank of America and was helped over the phone to set up the autopay. Apparently 6 months later (since I haven't looked at the account until now) I was charged $38 per month for a 'late fee' even though I specifically set up the autopay to avoid that. My payment was going through on the 6th vs the 5th, making it one day late.

I spoked to a lady at BOA on June 19th 2019 at 2:13pm to see why this was happening to my account. The woman on the phone was very dismissive of my case and kept me on hold for a long time refusing to reverse the charges. She did say she did see that I did call in January to set up auto payment to avoid the late fee and that my fee in December was refunded. She said she couldn't do anything and that she would escalate the call to the manager to pull the phone call and review it.

If they review that call and still refuse to reverse the charges this complaint will still be here. If they end up reversing their charges I will update this review. Nobody should have to pay a late fee if they set up Automatic Payments... That's the whole point! I never had this problem with Chase, or Citibank. Their software is more up to date. Advice for Bank of America - improve your site - improve your algorithm for auto pay. You'll have less hold times for customer service and you'll have happier customers.

Bank of America expert review by Beverly Harzog

Bank of America is one of the largest financial institutions in the country. It’s a global leader in wealth management, corporate and investment banking and more. Bank of America is very convenient because it offers 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs. The bank has 32 million online banking users and 19 million mobile users. It has been working with customers for more than 200 years.

• Cash rewards: Bank of America offers several cash back credit cards with good rewards, including one for students.

• Secured credit card: If used responsibly for 12 months, it’s possible to graduate to an unsecured credit card with Bank of America. The 20.49 percent APR is a little high, but it’s not an issue if the bill is paid off every month.

• Credit card for paying down balances: The BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards credit card lets you earn $25 per quarter when you pay more than the minimum amount due, up to $100 per year.

• Zero percent introductory offers: Several cards have these offers for purchases and balance transfers. Read the terms and conditions carefully so you know when the promotion ends.

• Sign-up bonuses: Many of Bank of America's credit cards offer generous sign-up bonuses if you meet the spending requirements within the time requirement.

• Well-designed, user-friendly website: The bank has made it easy to view the rates, fees and rewards for their cards. This makes it easier to understand and choose the card that’s best for you.

• Reputation: Bank of America is a trusted name in the credit card industry.

• Convenience: It has branches all over the world that are easy to access.

• Best for: Consumers who are looking for either travel or cash back credit cards. Also, those who carry a balance and want incentive to pay down their balances.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Bank of America Credit Cards Company Information