Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
Bank of America Credit Cards
3.51/5
Based on 1,240 ratings submitted in the last year

Bank of America Credit Cards

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

1732 Bank of America Credit Cards Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 19, 2019

Bank of America's automatic payment software is faulty, customer service is hard to get a hold of because of long waits, and the particular person that answered my call was rude and kept me on the phone for long waiting time. I set up automatic payments with a person from Bank of America in January 2019 because I was charged a $25 late fee for the month of December 2018. I wanted to make sure I would not get any more late fees with Bank of America and was helped over the phone to set up the autopay. Apparently 6 months later (since I haven't looked at the account until now) I was charged $38 per month for a 'late fee' even though I specifically set up the autopay to avoid that. My payment was going through on the 6th vs the 5th, making it one day late.

I spoked to a lady at BOA on June 19th 2019 at 2:13pm to see why this was happening to my account. The woman on the phone was very dismissive of my case and kept me on hold for a long time refusing to reverse the charges. She did say she did see that I did call in January to set up auto payment to avoid the late fee and that my fee in December was refunded. She said she couldn't do anything and that she would escalate the call to the manager to pull the phone call and review it.

If they review that call and still refuse to reverse the charges this complaint will still be here. If they end up reversing their charges I will update this review. Nobody should have to pay a late fee if they set up Automatic Payments... That's the whole point! I never had this problem with Chase, or Citibank. Their software is more up to date. Advice for Bank of America - improve your site - improve your algorithm for auto pay. You'll have less hold times for customer service and you'll have happier customers.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I do not trust this bank! Customer service is horrible. Fees are constantly being charged without reason or explanation. I called to ask why and was never given a full explanation. When I asked to speak to a manager, they are always on another line. Closing my account! They do not deserve my business! I am a loyal customer, I pay my bills on time and am still charged with hidden fees. I deserve better service!!!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2019

Do NOT get a Bank of America credit card. A building in my neighborhood hadn't paid for fuel and the people were freezing. As a kind gesture, I gave a fuel company my credit card, authorizing them to pay for fuel for that month. It was a one-time charge. A few months later, this fuel company provided fuel to the building and tried to get the owner to pay. When the owner kept giving them the runaround, the fuel company -- thieves!! -- found my credit card info (they had kept it without my permission) and charged over 10,000 dollars!

As soon as I got my bill, I called Bank of America to dispute the charge. I explained the situation, and they agreed that I was right. A month later, I received a letter from BAM telling me that the charges are dismissed. I thought the case was done. Instead, one month after that, I received another letter, along with documentation from the fuel company that showed they provided the fuel. Because they provided the fuel, BAM said, I am now liable for these charges. I sent a letter in return, saying that I couldn't care less whether the fuel company provided fuel or not. I DID NOT AUTHORIZE THE PAYMENT. I don't work for the building that got fuel, and I don't live in the building that got fuel. I am totally not affiliated with that building. I simply paid for their fuel one time as an act of charity.

Well, though every BAM agent that I spoke to agreed that I was right, BAM decided that I must pay. When I refused, they shut down my credit cards (despite my perfect credit with them for more than 15 years), and -- I assume -- my high credit rating is probably in the dumps now. BANK OF AMERICA IS COMPLICIT IN THIS THEFT! My credit card with HSBC texts me each time I charge at an unfamiliar store or each time I charge an amount over 2000-3000 dollars. A quick text, and I confirm that I authorized the charge, and everything is secure. Why couldn't Bank of America adopt the same policy? Horrible company. Total thieves. Don't get caught the way I did. Don't sign up for a credit card with them, and if you have one, get rid of it before they steal from you too.

Original review: June 13, 2019

This is the second time I am getting frustrated with BOA and writing review within a month. First one was when I made a payment for BOA credit card, BOA withdraw my personal bank account twice back in May and caused me overdraw, and had to go thru all of their bad customer service to get it solved. This time, I received a called from BOA yesterday telling me my account is past due and charged me $25 late fee while BOA charged me TWICE just few weeks ago. My statement closing date is 7th of the month, and payment date is 4th of the month.

I barely used the BOA CC and the latest purchased I made was in late April, so the closing date is supposed to be May 7th and payment due date is supposed to be June 4th, I made a full payment on May 16th which BOA withdraw my bank TWICE!! The lady from BOA told me I need to make a $25 dollar late fees penalty because I missed the May 4th due date, but I never had any balance or unpaid amount prior the purchased I made late in April.

I tried figure out with the CS from BOA why I am being charged late fees with that matter, and she couldn't give me any answer but kept telling me "sir, you have to pay the late fees". I refused to pay the fees and demanded a legit explanation from BOA, and currently waiting on their call back. I am very confused with BOA internal system, and upset with all the hassles I have been dealing with BOA within the last few weeks. After having the "late fees" setting, I will not use BOA CC anymore.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Glad to see I'm not the only one with a bad experience. BoA makes it all but impossible to reach a real person by phone, but what choice do I have when repeated attempts to deal with them online fail because, even though I provide my password and answer several ID questions, I can't enter a "code" they claim they've sent to my mobile phone but I never receive. Latest outrage was that I never got most recent billing statement, only an email saying I'd missed a payment. When I finally managed to get thru to a real person, I was told the higher-than-expected balance due was because of "interest" on my "revolving" account. The rep couldn't seem to understand that I always pay the full balance every month and never authorized "revolving" any unpaid balance.

I asked for the final balance so I could pay it off and close the ** account, even before the promised copy of last statement arrives. Best I could get was an "estimate" of final balance, subject to change??? I suggested she waive the phony interest charge if she wanted me to reconsider cutting up my card. Oh no, that was out of the question. Bye bye, BofA! What a pathetic excuse for a bank. Why on earth does AAA stick with them for their credit card??

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: May 29, 2019

I have a credit card of BOA. I set automatic pay bill for all my credit card. But BOA has very bad IT serve and customer service. At the beginning, my automatic pay setting worked. But one time failed and charged me late fee and interesting fee. I called them to argue. They said it was my fault. Disgusting!!!

Original review: May 26, 2019

I have set up auto pay from B of A checking account to BoA credit card and the -- auto pay stops SUDDENLY and SILENTLY. Then these $38 monthly late fee is charged for several months amounting to $350 :( while I wonder why my balance on this damn card is not coming down! I have signed up for text and email alerts from them to my mobile and email ID. But when I went to resolve this they said: they had sent a SNAIL MAIL that the auto pay is going to end soon - haha. I also hear it's a Federal regulation that they have to send a "letter". Good. But that's an archaic method of delivery. Why NOT, alert me ALSO electronically, that I have to sign up again for the auto-pay? It's a trap set up by BoA to falsely make customers pay fabricated "late fee". THIS AFFECTED MY CREDIT SCORE VERY BADLY!! BoA: You owe me money! Please return it!! OR MAYBE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT WOULD BE MORE EFFECTIVE?

Original review: May 23, 2019

I was a BofA credit card user for fifty years. I paid the card monthly by automatic withdrawals from the bank -never a delinquent payment. BofA unilaterally cancelled my card with no explanation. When I tried to use my earned dollars (about $412) to pay part of my last bill, they said my earned dollars were cancelled along with the card. So, they really are not earned they now say, they are provisionally earned and can be rescinded. My refusal to pay the $412 that I supposedly had earned has resulted in BofA destroying my credit and about 30 harassing calls a week from BofA. I would recommend you use another card with less deceptive advertising.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I received a text from alerting me of fraudulent activity on one card. To call the 800 no. Been trying for 2 days. They put you on hold forever, tried holding for more than 20 minutes. Can't do it no more. Overall this is one of the worst banks when it comes to customer service on their credit cards.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I paid off the balance BOA CC on 5/16, but BOA pull the same amount from my bank again on 5/16 and caused me overdraw my personal bank account. Also being charged for overdraw fee. When I tried to call BOA to figure out what has happened, but I was being transferred 5 times and when I finally transferred to the right department, the customer service is the worst I have ever had. The person was giving me attitude, didn't give any solution to solve the issue and told me to contact my personal bank to figure out. I am having hard time to reach anyone at BOA for this issues and no one is calling me back either. I am now with negative balance in my personal banking account, and not everyone has back up money for emergency. I need an answer and clarification from BOA.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I've had a Bank of America card (Alaskan Airlines) for over 25 years... While overseas I had a new credit card sent to me as they said mine was compromised. It was sent to US address. I had then send it to me overseas in a remote area. I did not receive any billing from them perhaps because I had not signed card yet. I could not access my online info as new card had different number... When I asked for card to be sent to me (which they did efficiently) I paid my overdue bill (...I have been paying the same way for over 9 years.) I found out it had not been paid but returned.

I called my bank. They had not received a request from Bank of America... They put in the wrong numbers. I gave them the correct routing and checking number I have always used. It cleared and I set up auto pay. The next payment did not go through as they had the wrong numbers which makes no sense to me. 2 days after receiving the card to a remote village they cancelled my account. After 25 years and they would not reconsider or take responslbility. They said they can do nothing or look at the circumstances. They are very good at fraud protection but I was actually shocked. Maybe they are looking at ways to get rid of Alaskan Airline customers... I don't know.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have set up automatic payment is $500 to be deducted from my checking out on the Due date every month. I just noticed now that the automatic payment was set up for DAY AFTER the due date and Bank of America has been charging me 38 every month for late fee. I just noticed it on the breakdown of the balance. $500 was deducted every month from my bank but $38 was going to late fee and the remainder $427 was applied on the balance. When I called and complained, the agent said “I should have noticed it before” and she can only go back for 3 months!!!

This is all their fault and it’s like saying, “Yeah, we’ve been stealing your money but you should caught us earlier.” Very unprofessional! The reason people set up automatic payment is to not deal with this! After arguing and being transferred to management, they refunded 11 months of late charge but not willing to go further because it’s company policy! What’s infuriating is they count this as a favor they’re doing for me when this should NEVER happen to begin with. I am closing my balance and thus credit card. This is a crime.

Original review: April 4, 2019

During a financial hardship a few years ago, I worked out an agreement with BOA to draft a minimum payment out of my checking account each month. April of 2018 I noticed my account was charged a "late fee." I asked how this could be when they draft the money out of my account! I called and they removed the late fee and brought my account current. Apparently, the person manually entering in the payment when they received it entered it in a day later than the due date causing it to be past due. I have not looked at my account or statements since, until March of this year (2019) and I discovered that since October 2018 up until February 2019, it showed I had 5 straight months of late fees again!

I called and spoke to 3 people over 2 separate days. The response was always the same. Pay to bring my account "current" and then the situation can be resolved. (Meanwhile my credit has been depleted month after month!) Resolved? I told each person it was the bank's negligence that caused me to be past due in October causing a domino effect over the next several months and "you want me, the customer to pay more money that I technically don't owe because you (the bank) automatically draft the money out of my account every month! This is fraud" I told them!

I even demanded on March 23, 2019 to call me after my work hours at 2:45 pm to speak with a supervisor who can see that this was their error and have the authority to make a wrong situation right. I never received a call. In fact they said that I told them not to call me which is a bald-faced lie. I learned a lesson banking with BOA. I would never recommend this bank to anyone for any reason. Their business practices are not merely questionable, they are shady, even fraudulent.

Anyone with a conscience and common sense sees that it's their own fault, but their business policies and practices forbade to resolve situations that any decent and reputable bank could change in a moment with a simple phone call. If BOA is your bank, my advice to you would be to watch them like a hawk or change quickly. I wished that I kept a more watchful eye on my credit card account and I would have spotted this quickly and perhaps resolved it quickly.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I have had a credit card thru Bank of America sponsored by Allegiant Airlines for almost 2 years. Never have a missed a payment on this card. Out of the blue, they closed my account stating that after a recent review of my credit the card should be closed. Even though I've never missed a payment they still closed it.

Original review: March 25, 2019

Approximately 8 months ago I was visiting with a personal banker who was aware of my prior credit issues after losing my husband. I went in one day to make a large deposit. Between her and a Merrill Lynch representative they both told me to apply for an unsecured credit card to rebuild my credit after a bankruptcy. One of my credit cards with them was included in the bankruptcy. I reminded them of the bk. The application for unsecured card was processed there at the Bank. I was denied. Now I have an inquiry from Bank of America on my credit report a hard inquiry that will stay there for quite a few years. Why would a banker's give you that kind of advice? They're supposed to help you

In December I had some fraudulent activity happen. The fraud department is worthless I am sorry to say. I was so surprised when I called a fraud department to report fraud and they said it was probably just a mistake on the let the charges go through and will take care of you? The Fraud Department made mistakes. There were many different claims for 1 Fraud activity. It has finally been taken care. I was on the phone constantly for 3 months. If the fraud department had taken me seriously the first time I called this would not have happened. What happened to Bank of America.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I had been hovering around 840 to 850 credit score for years and I have also been a customer with Bunch of Ax for over 25 yrs - now I know why they have this nickname I got from a former employee of theirs. Trying to simplify my bills tried to set up auto pay thru them and their system messed it up and for two months straight; it would say it was going to post my payment then wouldn't do it. I got no notices of late payment - instead they went direct to nuclear on me and reported a missed payment to the credit bureaus. Dropped my credit score to below 750. After explaining this to their customer placaters and filling out their useless ream of paperwork to explain the situation no response from them for over 5 months. Worse customer service ever experienced. I am not doing any more business with them. I just keep my card open and will charge a pack a gum a year just to keep it active and let them eat the processing cost of keeping the account open.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I am enrolled in autopay and paperless statements. For the past 12 months I have received emails confirming my payment. Every month! So I didn’t check my online statements. Should have! Every month I was charged $35 late fee on the same day my account was set to auto pay! No phone calls. No email saying I was charged anything in addition to my auto payment. Terrible customer service that it goes unnoticed for this long. I called and they said autopay was set up the day after the payment was due. WHY WOULD SOMEONE PICK A PAYMENT DAY THE DAY AFTER IT'S DUE??? I don’t believe I would have! Every month I paid on the same day. I will be closing this account immediately and never doing business with Bank of America again.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I applied to a BOA offer for an interest free card till Sept 2020 with a no balance fee for 60 days. I had 900 dollars transferred and on the first statement I was charged a 27 dollar transfer fee! in speaking with customer service they were courteous but said because I applied to an offer thru Credit Karma ad - a "third party" the no transfer fee did not apply and they would not refund the fee-the no fee ad is why I applied in the first place! I feel this is false advertising and will be canceling this card shortly -- bah!!!

Original review: March 16, 2019

Bank of America Credit Cards suck! And not worth your time or headaches. It's been 4 months of headaches with them on automatic payments and stopping them adjusting them. I've changed my app and online and nothing changed! As of today my balance is $ 0.00. I owe them not a damn penny. They still allow an automatic payment. I don't get it. It's at 0 balance BofA CC! ZERO means I owe you guys NOTHING! I called customer service and of course, "There's nothing we can do. You have call tomorrow." B my transaction is pending. NO! Take action now, BUT NOOOOOOOO. Ok. Close my account and return my payment. "Oh it's going to take another call tomorrow and 3 business days!" Really?! I owe you guys nothing, you still take auto pay being at ZERO and I have to call you back and I have to wait. What kind of ** is this BofA credit cards. Anyone thinking about getting this credit card - if you can avoid it do so. It's not worth it.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I USED TO HAVE CARD CARD BUT THEY DID NOT SEND ME ANY INFORMATION THEY CLOSED THE ACCOUNT. Then I called them even they cannot reopen. I do not have words. It is ridiculous. I do not recommend anyone use this bank.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I would not recommend using Bank of America's credit cards. They would not back me up on a dispute resolution concerning a company who took a payment, promising a service that they could not deliver. After two investigators were assigned to me through this private investigation company, and both determined they could not help me, I asked for a refund. When the company gave me back 1/3 of the $450 paid, I disputed the charge with Bank of America. B of A sent me a snail mail letter which stated a due date for the details of the dispute the day before I receive the letter.

When I complained, I was told to fax the details anyway. Then I received a message on the B of A account messages that I did not provide the information they asked for and the dispute was not honored. When I complained again, I was told to fax the information and again my dispute was denied, claiming 'too much time had passed' and I had not met the deadlines set. Incredible! When I called B of A and told them of my dissatisfaction, I was told, "We can't do anything and sorry you are unhappy with our policies." Unbelievable!

Original review: March 4, 2019

Almost a week ago, some dirtbag steal almost $400.00 from my checking/debit account. Called the bank and cancelled my card and told I would receive my money back in 7 to 10 days. Money was credited back to my account this morning and also received my new card in the mail today. Great job and service. Only problem was not having the money to pay bills for a week! Very happy it didn't take longer. Thank you for the prompt service considering the facts.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I paid my account in full $0 balance and received a statement from Bank of America with a $29.49 interest charge. I had a $0 balance and I was charged interest on a $0 balance. Called Bank of America to have this charge removed and they refused. I will never, ever use this card again! Pls be aware, they are a fraud!!!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

Bank of America suddenly and without warning cancelled my National Education Association credit card a couple days after I paid off the balance in full. I can't even log on to see my account! I have been a loyal and responsible customer for many years. Way to treat America's teachers!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I have been trying to resolve an unauthorized charge with my Bank of America credit card for 6 months. I have spent numerous hours upon hours on-hold and discussing my situation over and over and over again. After explaining my situation they say, "I will have to send you to someone else who can better serve you." Then on-hold again for another hour. This is totally unacceptable!

Just this week, I called Monday Feb 18th, 2019 and was on-hold for an hour before I spoke to anyone and then transferred. Called again on Wednesday Feb 20th, 2019 and same thing, no resolution and given another number to call. Then again called on Friday Feb 22nd, 2019. Spoke with one person who was supposed to be a direct number to someone who could help, after waiting for her for 40 minutes she said she could not help and transferred me to another person and waited 1 hour and 50 minutes for her only to be told nothing could be done. I am OUTRAGED!!! and want the world to know... NEVER, EVER, EVER DO BUSINESS WITH BANK OF AMERICA!!! I would rate them negative numbers if I could! HORRIBLE!!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I had auto pay from my bank to Bank of America credit card. My promotional term was over so my minimum due went up, I didn’t even pay late, only amount was not enough for the min due. I send them a message to ask to waive the late fee, they keep sending the same message, "If you are having financial hardship call us and we will talk about options." I reply but I got the same answer 3 times. There other credit cards with better customer service. I will pay my balance and never ever get another Bank of America card again.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

After over 15 years of having this credit card and paying on time with good credit they closed my account. Only thing I can think was I had gotten a call asking for information of mine and said they were from Bank Of America. I was reluctant to give it to them asking me where I worked seen as I’ve been working at the same place for over 19 years, same place I worked when I applied for this credit card. I wouldn’t give him the information, I thought it was bogus, I pay my bill on time so why were they asking me this now. They lost a good customer and I sure don’t think the same way about them as I did prior.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Every time I have to call B of A customer support, I end up waiting an average of HALF AN HOUR for a representative to pick up. HIRE MORE REPRESENTATIVES!!! Try getting representatives that are actually located in the United States. I can hardly understand the reps when do pick up the call. HIRE AMERICANS.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I used my Bank of America credit card to book a motel reservation using a reservation site on the internet. Because of the reservation site's "system error", my reservation was cancelled, but I was still expected to pay for the reservation. I explained the situation with the credit card company, since that was how I was to handle this. I talked with person after person, for months and every person I spoke with understood my situation. But the office that makes the final decision repeated denied my claim. The last letter stated they wouldn't respond to any further correspondence regarding this claim. I've had it! I cancelled my card and will never deal with them again.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Spent WAY too much time on this already but want other people to be aware. BOA is a NIGHTMARE. Their customer service is unbelievably inefficient, reps are rude, several have claimed that they took notes when the next rep says they had no record. Chase bank - my checking account, gave me proof of payment that for 5 months BOA claimed my payments were overdue by 1 day when they were received by BOA on time but not being applied to my account until a day later. Each time I was charged a $38 fee. Payments were on autopay and I get wireless statements so it went unnoticed until I began getting robocalls... Even with proof of payment, no refund, rude reps and ruined credit. Caveat Emptor!!!

Bank of America expert review by Beverly Harzog

Bank of America is one of the largest financial institutions in the country. It’s a global leader in wealth management, corporate and investment banking and more. Bank of America is very convenient because it offers 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs. The bank has 32 million online banking users and 19 million mobile users. It has been working with customers for more than 200 years.

• Cash rewards: Bank of America offers several cash back credit cards with good rewards, including one for students.

• Secured credit card: If used responsibly for 12 months, it’s possible to graduate to an unsecured credit card with Bank of America. The 20.49 percent APR is a little high, but it’s not an issue if the bill is paid off every month.

• Credit card for paying down balances: The BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards credit card lets you earn $25 per quarter when you pay more than the minimum amount due, up to $100 per year.

• Zero percent introductory offers: Several cards have these offers for purchases and balance transfers. Read the terms and conditions carefully so you know when the promotion ends.

• Sign-up bonuses: Many of Bank of America's credit cards offer generous sign-up bonuses if you meet the spending requirements within the time requirement.

• Well-designed, user-friendly website: The bank has made it easy to view the rates, fees and rewards for their cards. This makes it easier to understand and choose the card that’s best for you.

• Reputation: Bank of America is a trusted name in the credit card industry.

• Convenience: It has branches all over the world that are easy to access.

• Best for: Consumers who are looking for either travel or cash back credit cards. Also, those who carry a balance and want incentive to pay down their balances.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Bank of America Credit Cards Company Information