Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
Bank of America Credit Cards
3.42/5
Based on 1,239 ratings submitted in the last year

Bank of America Credit Cards

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Bank of America Credit Cards Reviews

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

Today I was unable to file a transaction dispute online. Had to call 866 number instead and speak to someone who requested my login information, my Social number, along with information about the transaction that I am disputing. So that my neighbors could hear all this. Then I am told to send the sensitive information to Texas by snail mail or by fax. This puts my identity at risk and I am not doing this. This is how Bank of America treats their longtime loyal customers who have never missed a payment and have excellent credit score. I am very disappointed and will stop using credit cards with this bank altogether. I do not recommend this bank to anyone; there are far better choices.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

For years, I have routinely made phone payments through Bank of Am's automated system on two credit cards. Today when following the usual routine to do so, I was shifted to customer service in Atlanta Georgia and asked strange questions to verify my identity so I could make a payment. When I told her how odd this was, she told me that this was standard operating procedure and I was wrong. It was impossible! After 15 minutes of nonsense of the person asking questions that were not even close to my address where I have lived for over 30 years or persons I did not know with my last name, I told the person I was an attorney and wanted to speak with a supervisor.

I was put on hold for a few minutes but when she came back on, she told me she had to end the call because she could not verify I was the owner of the account. I again insisted on speaking to a supervisor and told her I was going to sue. She then reluctantly connected me back to the automated system to make a payment but warned me that I might get back to customer service again. Bottom line is that I did connect to the automated system and did make a payment. Next month, I'll just mail a payment to them. Better for my blood pressure. 20 minutes of wasted time!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I came to BOA for a credit card 18 month interest free so I transferred another credit card balance to take advantage of this service. I set up my payment accounts to make online payments, made my first payment from my savings account. BOA processed my payment as a checking account payment which caused my bank to refuse payment, which caused BOA to charge me a late payment fee. All things in this process are understandable BUT when I went online with BOA to get my card paid I was totally locked out of my account.

I called and made a payment over the phone, but that is all this person could do. I had to call again a couple of days later to ask that the late fee be reversed. The nice man did reverse the late fee but I then had to call back - yup - in a couple of days to get my account unsuspended. So it is now three weeks later and I go online to make another payment and my account is still suspended.

BOA is bad to do business with. I have decided to get this paid off as quickly as possible and not look back. I will never do business with BOA again. BTW, I just called again today, three transfers later and a lady named Penny said she will lift the suspension from my account. It will take 5-10 business days - really? Oh, then I can go online and make my payment - and probably start this nightmare of a process all over again (17 months to go).

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

Their terminology on credit card eBills are at odds with the ones on the statement. For example if you were to map “Account Balance” on the eBill to mean “Current Balance” on the statement then you would be wrong. If you were to map “Amount Due” to mean “Statement Balance” then you would be wrong again. I do not believe that these are innocent mistakes.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

While this credit card works fine most of the time in the United States, it has been useless while traveling internationally. The usual response is for the transaction to be declined and an alert to show up on the BoA mobile app. To complete the transaction I use the Barclaycard Arrival+ card which works every time and sends me an email notification of the transaction so I can detect any possible issues. Very different and far superior approach to that of BoA. I like BoA for my other banking needs. They just fall flat in this area.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

I waited 30 minutes to get customer service. They didn't apologize or anything even after I mentioned that I waited 30 minutes and asked them if they had server issues. Chase and Capital One are much better! The longest I wanted was 2 minutes to get to customer service.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I've been trying to find out if I'm even covered for an issue I had with a hotel reservation not refunding me for a last minute cancellation of their own sponsored event. This was my whole reason for even using my BOA Rewards AMEX and not my debit card to begin with, in case God forbid something happens. SO now I have spent 2 days and several hours later and still have zero help. I called the number on the back of my card which connected me to BOA, they told me I had to talk to AMEX, then I was transferred to AMEX who told me I had to talk to BOA. Then this circle went on forever, in my 2nd call trying to resolve this and just get an answer I was transferred 6 or 7 times between BOA and AMEX. So I guess no one knows what they are doing and even though your card is supposed to come with benefits you can't actually ever utilize them since no one knows anything.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

In September on a trip to Rocky Point Mexico, I bought Latisse from a local merchant. When I got the product home and opened the sealed box, I discovered that the a portion the seal on the cap of the plastic bottle inside had been broken; the plastic top of the small bottle had been cut off; and the bottle was completely empty. I called Bank of America credit disputes and got a temporary credit for the purchase. Despite sending pictures and offering to mail in the fraudulent product, the credit card company is making me pay for the product. Their reasoning is that they cannot prove that the merchant sold me the product in this condition. Needless to say and even though it is not a large amount of money, I am furious that a merchant can (deliberately) sell a fraudulent product and the customer has no recourse.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I have been a LONGTIME client of Bank of America for "Personal & Business" banking for near 30, THIRTY years!!! Though, when I wanna try to do all my business with 1 bank, and transfer a balance to their Rewards Card, the experiences have been awful carrying this card!!! The customer service in this department Doesn't Matter and they Don't Care, as if they aren't even associated with the good name of Bank Of America and the years of customer service I have received from their outside branches!! I have been with the bank since it was Nations Bank, long before it became Bank of America. Having this Rewards Card has shown me a big difference between what quality of service is. The credit card department is poor quality, and they are about to lose a Preferred Client, whatever it means to them.... Very disappointing!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

Bank of America has the worst credit card available. If you need help, you can't call customer service to speak with an associate. The voice machine only gives you certain options. If you don't answer what it wants, it hangs up on you. If you will download the app, then you can actually speak with someone. I did not want the app. I have too many apps on my phone already. Why couldn't I just call?!! Secondly, they have the highest interest rate of all of my credit cards. When I was able to speak with someone, they refused to lower the rate. So, I will only charge a little once in a while and pay it off immediately so it doesn't cancel and hurt my credit.

Also, I requested old statement copies and was told they would be mailed to me. When they didn't show up a week later, I called back and was told that they had not been ordered. Supposedly, that associate would order them for me and they would be mailed out the next day. I called the next day to ensure that they had been ordered and mailed. They hadn't. When I called the third time, I was told again that the associate would request them that day. I'm waiting to see how many more times I need to contact Bank of America. Next time it will be in writing so that it can be proven that their customer service people are not doing their jobs or that there is something wrong with their system.

Also, at one point, the voice machine wanted me to give my credit card last four numbers which I did. Then it said that it didn't recognize my phone No. I have used the same phone No. for years. I checked and it is was on record at Bank of America. My No. should have been recognized. They are now my worst credit card. I advise people to steer clear of Bank of America.

Bank of America expert review by Beverly Harzog

Bank of America is one of the largest financial institutions in the country. It’s a global leader in wealth management, corporate and investment banking and more. Bank of America is very convenient because it offers 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs. The bank has 32 million online banking users and 19 million mobile users. It has been working with customers for more than 200 years.

• Cash rewards: Bank of America offers several cash back credit cards with good rewards, including one for students.

• Secured credit card: If used responsibly for 12 months, it’s possible to graduate to an unsecured credit card with Bank of America. The 20.49 percent APR is a little high, but it’s not an issue if the bill is paid off every month.

• Credit card for paying down balances: The BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards credit card lets you earn $25 per quarter when you pay more than the minimum amount due, up to $100 per year.

• Zero percent introductory offers: Several cards have these offers for purchases and balance transfers. Read the terms and conditions carefully so you know when the promotion ends.

• Sign-up bonuses: Many of Bank of America's credit cards offer generous sign-up bonuses if you meet the spending requirements within the time requirement.

• Well-designed, user-friendly website: The bank has made it easy to view the rates, fees and rewards for their cards. This makes it easier to understand and choose the card that’s best for you.

• Reputation: Bank of America is a trusted name in the credit card industry.

• Convenience: It has branches all over the world that are easy to access.

• Best for: Consumers who are looking for either travel or cash back credit cards. Also, those who carry a balance and want incentive to pay down their balances.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Bank of America Credit Cards Company Information