Bank of America Credit Cards
1.06/5

Bank of America Credit Cards

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1691 Bank of America Credit Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Every time I go to the bank in Natick, they always said "you've been approved for a great card where I can earn points for every purchase", not so great when dealing with thieves. I fell for it one day, applied for one and got it. I started using the card instead of using my own money to earn the points. I was never late and also paid them 5 to 10 times the minimum payments; I ended up earning over 37k in points. One day, I got a call from BoA and they told me that they're going to close the account because of my purchases which means that I lost all the points that I've procured through my transactions. I called them and tried to retrieve those points but I got treated like a piece of trash. I waited one month for all my automatic payments to clear and I closed all my checking, savings and IRA accounts. Please stay away from this bank, NOTHING ABOUT ANY OF YOU CONCERNS THEM. NOW I KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO DEAL WITH MAFIA.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have a Bank of America visa card and I used it from time to time where they did not take Discover. I had put my card on an automatic payment and the entire balance was paid automatical so very seldom I opened my statements, I lost my card and asked for a new card not knowing that the automatic payment was no longer active. As a result I had one missed payment, even though I made the payment as soon as I found out the bank reported that to credit bureau and reduced my credit score from 812 to 726. I called the bank and explained what happened but they refused to do anything about it. I am not using their card anymore and I don't recommend them to anyone. My advice is to use your local bank and deal with people who know you not with those who are heartless and act like robots.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have had many credit cards issued by many banks. Nothing comes close to being as crappy as Bank of America's purchase "protection". There is almost no circumstance that is covered under their third-party issued "insurance" program. I can say from personal experience that this bank's "purchase protection" is a misnomer and totally sucks compared to other banks. Do business elsewhere. Anywhere else. But not with B of A.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Horrific! B of A is equivalent to dealing with mafia. Their consumer financial and credit practices are by far the most crooked bank I’ve dealt with in business. Stay Clear, they will destroy your personal credit rating by using your social security number guaranteeing a credit card for business purposes and will report to all reporting bureaus.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Updated on 11/18/2018: After BofA declined my credit card (I have excellent credit) for stating that I had been assigned to credit counseling (which I have not and never have): I wrote a letter to the President. Instead of fixing the problem and writing me an answer, I was just assigned back to the credit card department and given another chance to apply. I missed the phone call; so I called back. Waited 20 minutes for the one or two employees whose job it is to answer the phone. By that time I was so unhappy I just told them "no thanks"; I do not want to reapply. If BofA had any type of customer service, they would have solved the problem upon receipt of my letter and sent a letter of reply. But---oh no, the customer service handbook has never been written, or if it has; it is not being used.

Original Review: When I looked at BofA's website, I noticed that they laid off about 200,000 employees. I am certain they turned all the customer relations work over to computers. My credit score is excellent with 100% bills paid on time. I applied for a credit card and was refused because it said I had enrolled in credit counseling which I do not even know how to do. All the BofA credit card complaints I read, must have been just issued by a computer with no human ever fact checking. That is why the bank appears to be such a dehumanizing organization. It is true; they must not care about their customers or they would employ a human or two to check out their customer communications.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Tried to cancel a card I got when I was first starting out with credit and never ended up using. I called multiple phone numbers from their website and never got an answer after waiting more than 30 minutes. I tried going online to my account to do it - they don’t let you cancel online. I tried downloading their app so I could do it from there. No luck there. Their chat feature is “not available for this product.” There is no email address given. Their nearest physical location is now more than 100 miles away from me in the next state. I finally found an address and I am writing to cancel my card. I am furious that they have wasted so much of my time and are essentially not letting me leave their business.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Bank of America just reduced the credit on 2 of my credit cards by $20000 with no notice 2 months before my wedding. Called customer service who agreed I was a loyal customer for years. Always made payments on time and that it must have something to do with my credit report but couldn't tell me what. Lovely. Do not get a BoA account... Ever. They'll blindside you and they don't care about customers at all. Thanks for the 45 minute wait.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

So disappointing. After being a credit card customer for years (and my wife and I have our checking accounts with Bank of America, too) they just played a big one on us. We just finished paying our credit card balance a couple of days ago and in two days after that they reduced the credit limit from $12,800 to $500. I simply feel betrayed. A very unhappy Bank of America customer. I believed it had to be a mistake so I called customer service and they don’t know to tell me the reasons coming up with standard answers. Very subjective customer service and really impertinent to the situation and speaking in third person about the bank “the bank reserves the right” and “they sent you a letter about this but I don’t know when it will reach you.” (Literally that is what G. from West Virginia told me over the phone.)

Customer service doesn’t have a real answer to my situation nor power to do anything about it and they seem so detached from the business... It feels like another Wells Fargo waiting to happen… The bank has all the rights to my money and no consideration to me the customer. Just disappointing. I am a very unhappy Bank of America customer. I will close all our accounts with Bank of America. Such a disappointment.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have a Bank of America credit card set on autopay, I chose the option to pay the amount due thinking that would cover the full amount, as it is usual for all accounts. Bank of America did not warn me that option was not the full one and I would incur interest, they then proceeded to charge me interest and would not refund me the interest because it was supposedly my error and not the bank's error! Be aware of a sketchy company with poor wording and terrible customer service.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Bank of America's Fraud Department has locked my card at maybe 6 times in my few years of using BofA. They have inconvenienced me with this largely, as I have to sit on hold for up to an hour just to ask them to unlock the card. They lock it for buying things I commonly buy. Nintendo started accepting pre-orders for their new game system and I missed the window several times because my card was locked when trying to buy a video game system. I buy video games frequently. However they didn't catch the time that someone bought Tacos at a place over 100 miles away from me, in a city I've never visited. The fraud department is useless at best, and an inconvenience at worst.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Tried to call Bank of America for the past 4 days to report that my credit card was lost. I NEVER was able to report this. I had 3 hour plus wait times each day and never was able to close this card as of yet! I was able to quickly cancel cards for First National Bank, Northwest Savings Bank, Gap, Peebles, Boscov's, but NOT Bank of America. I am now trying to CLOSE this account because of their HORRIBLE customer service! This is inexcusable. I cannot get in touch with a human to close this account and must now write a letter to do so. I cannot believe it is this difficult to report a lost or stolen card. DO NOT BANK WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I was on a cruise, which I notified Bank of America, they still blocked my credit card, I had to call into the fraud department to verify charges and they unlocked my card. Last day I get into port, Bank of America took out $1517.11 out of my checking account and applied to my $757.45 credit card balance which left me with an overpayment that I never authorized. Call into customer service and they apologized for the error, reversed the charge, but I still had an overdrawn checking for 19 days, they reversed 2 of the 9 NSF fees and said oh well on the others. I've been with Bank of America 14 years, I'll never bank with them again.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I am calling Bank of America Credit Card telephone line and I have been kept on hold for over 35 minutes. My question is not that difficult for them to answer but I guess they understaff to save money. This is not customer-focused service.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have had a number of unsatisfactory experiences with Bank of America. I called about an inquiry of a balance transfer and they took that opportunity to lower my credit limit, even though I had the same credit limit since 2007. While paying my card, they had a lapse in their system and charged me late fees on a balance I had already paid. They refused any effort to consolidate funds. It has been increasingly difficult to work with this company and I don't recommend them in the future.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Bank of America attempted to withdraw from my checking account 2 identical payments, only one of which had I authorized. I called to ask that the Bank correct its error and reimburse me for the costs that it caused me to incur: a $29 insufficient funds fee assessed by my financial institution and the $27 returned check fee assessed by the Bank. The Bank’s agents passed me from one person to another -- 5 altogether -- over a period of 2 hrs, 11 min. The last one informed me that I needed to speak with an agent "payment error inquiries." Each time I was passed, I had to start from scratch, including asking my wife, the cardholder, to authorize the agent to speak to me. No agent passed on critical information or explained that my wife had already given her authorization. The last agent, a supervisor, repeatedly spoke over me; he could not have been less helpful nor more bureaucratic. The problem remains unresolved.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

We have Mutiple accounts with Bank of America and we experienced very Bad services from them. Very rude and fraud people. I have called last week an agent to schedule payment to one my credit for which amount is $416 and agent scheduled it 3 times through: one, through my savings account, 2. through my checking accounts and they are lying that I scheduled with checks. I do not even have checkbook.

They took 3 payments of $416 and same problem happened with 2 other cards also. I asked them to take one payment of $177 from other card. From that also they took 2 times $177 and again for one more card $182 2 times. They took all these payments last week from my account and I ended up with negative balances and I have been calling them from 10 days and still no refunds or no one is answering me anything, just transferring from one agent to other agent. They are clearly cheating. Please I hope someone can report about this to government and help people.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I was notified via text message by Bank of America about two transactions that occurred on August 23rd, 2018 at Bellevue Square mall. These transactions occurred while I was having dinner in Kirkland, Washington. The first transaction at Tiffany’s in the amount of $1,650 was approved by BOA and the second transaction at Tumi for $434.50 was declined. I immediately responded via text message that these transactions were absolutely not mine and my account had somehow been compromised.

I then called and spoke to a representative that same night who assured me I had nothing to worry about – that my account would be closed, a new card issued to me, and that the charge at Tiffany’s would be properly reversed as I had credit card fraud protection. Not once did this representative recommend that I file a police report or visit the merchant where the fraud occurred to discuss the fraudulent transaction. I called BOA again a couple days later to confirm the charge would be reversed and the representative assured me I had nothing to worry about and that the charge would be reversed. Again, no recommendation was made to file a police report or follow up with the merchant.

On September 19th, 2018, I received a letter stating my fraud dispute had been denied with absolutely no explanation provided in the letter. Not once did a representative from BOA contact me or leave a message about the fraudulent transaction that I disputed. I called BOA to find out why the fraud dispute was denied and the representative said the comments were completely bogus – that a representative supposedly tried to contact me, but they couldn’t reach me and the transaction appeared to fit my spending patterns. I was also told the fraud dispute would be reopened, but that the charge couldn’t be reversed until I provided further documentation such as a police report. The representative also told me “I needed to do my part to assist BOA”.

I called the store director at Tiffany’s in Bellevue Square on September 20th to discuss the situation and notify him of the fraud that occurred. He assured me that BOA had NOT contacted him about this transaction at all. He is currently investigating the transaction on my behalf and I have asked him to review any security video footage that will easily prove that I was not present when this transaction occurred.

I am completely shocked and appalled by the treatment by BOA during this process. I find it ironic that the BOA fraud department perpetrated fraud against me by not actually doing any investigation whatsoever and denying my fraud claim. I have a credit score over 800, my household income is over $500,000, I have no history of making fraud disputes on a regular basis, and I am a Certified Public Accountant who is held to a higher standard to maintain my professional license. There is absolutely no reason to believe that I am somehow lying about this fraudulent transaction and that BOA has essentially accused me of attempting to commit felony larceny.

On 9/20, I told the representative to close my credit card accounts immediately and that BOA has lost me as a customer forever. I also filed a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Board and will notify Visa and Alaska Airlines (card branded) about my treatment. Please know that BOA does not actually provide the credit card fraud protection they claim to offer. Stay AWAY from BOA!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

They find a way to keep charging interest even when you pay your account balance to zero! They charge an outrageous amount of interest on an unpaid balance, and go up on the interest rate even if you don't make payments late. They are unscrupulous and greedy beyond belief! I never opened an account with Bank of America. I had that credit card through another bank originally, and it got bought out by Bank of America. Do yourself a giant favor! Close out any business you have with Bank of America and get them out of your life and your wallet!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

What a scam!!! Been with BOA for over 15 years. Has 3 credit cards with them. NO Annual fee when I first got them. Always pay on time never late. I had auto pay so I don’t normally look at the bill and then just found out that I’ve been charged annual fee $59 each card. Called and asked for refund back, representative refused to do so. What are they thinking to start charging the loyal customers. The marketing trying chase us away especially that you can’t refund the annual fee back as courtesy. I have to call back until next Annual fee charge to review if I’ll be charge in the future or not??? I don’t think I’ll stay until next year for you to charge me. Will close all cards and be with other bank that cherish the banking relationship with customers not a money taker!! Very disappointed!!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

B of A lost my cc payment in their cyber system and killed my credit scores 200 points. I made the payment 7/20/18. B of A claims first on 9/5/18 it didn't go thru because I have NSF, my bank will write a letter stating I had sufficient funds. 9/7/18 B of A claims I had entered the account number wrong in the automated pay on the phone. The money then leaves my account 8/13/18 to B of A, per my bank statements. I am told to call back on 9/10/18 and speak with Evelyn ** who informs me my request was denied.

When I run through all the dates it seems the amount in dispute was not paid until 9/5/18??? When I ask where money was for 23 days, Evelyn has no response. When I ask how was it paid on 9/5/18 she says it was reconciled by hand after I had called in on 9/5/18. I had also made my August payment, when asked if she saw that she did not. What is going on here somebody covering for a representative? This could be bigger than I first imagined. So now I have to wait to speak with Sean **, Evelyn's supervisor.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

On Labor Day my wife and I went shopping. She then tried to purchase her merchandise using her B of A rewards card and the card was declined. So she completed her purchase using another card. When we got home I got online and tried logging in to the Bank of America website only to find out that my username and password had been removed. It turns out that they had cancelled our cards and did not notify us that this was happening. Their offices were closed on Monday so I called Tuesday and the fellow that I spoke to could have cared less.

He made some excuse that they had two different addresses for us and that was why they cancelled our cards. So to him it did not matter that we had been cardholders since 1980 and always paid our bills on time and frankly it did not seem to matter what I said. He seemed to be a very bored person doing a job that he did not like whose only pleasure was trying to make people as miserable as he must be. Surprise, surprise I have other credit cards and will be happy to use them instead of the B of A card. I suspect that they are trying to get rid of cardholders who do not carry a balance but pay off their bills in full every month.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Filed a claim for a $35 charge for a parking fee from Hilton Hotel San Diego that I already paid for at the hotel. Received awful service from BOA AAA Financial. They kept forgetting about my claim and losing information about it. I spoke to a different rep every time I called in, so naturally I had to repeat the scenario every time. I have a great credit score and always paid my bills on time with BOA. But, that made no difference to them and they sided with the hotel immediately, I felt. I finally got in touch with the Hilton Hotel and they reimbursed my $35. I thanked them for finally getting back to me after 2 weeks and thanked BOA for nothing. I had to handle this claim on my own.

BOA did absolutely nothing beside give me a hard time. Then, when I called BOA to tell them that I was reimbursed by the Hilton and that they can close my claim with the Hilton, their response was, "Okay, we'll cancel your Credit Card". My response was, "No! First you're no help to me, now you want to ruin my credit. Please, do not cancel my credit card." If you are using BOA for credit services do not use them at all. Just lock your card away like I did. These guys are the worst. They don't care about you.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I have been a client with Bank of America World Mastercard for 11 years. After 11 years of on time payments with no late fees I called today to see if I could have a one time courtesy waiver on a late fee on a payment I made one day after the due date. I had accidentally mixed it up with another card payment date. When I called I owned that I had made the mistake. Trevon with customer service told me that they assess the situation and if it is not a tragedy or bank error they will not consider a waiver. So they can do a waiver, they just need to decide first how tragic your situation is. This seems discriminatory to me that one individual gets to decide if the story I tell them is worthy of forgiveness on a one day late payment. I guess telling the truth gets you nowhere with these folks. So they will be losing an 11 year customer that has two cards with them over one silly late fee that they could have waived if they felt I was tragic enough.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I attempted to complete a credit card application online with a mobile device. I kept getting error messages and though I thought I was correcting these errors I still could not submit my application. I was, however, allowed to save the file. I made a 2nd attempt at this process the following day and I kept getting the same answer. The system offered a chat, but unlike other chat services the person at B of A had no clue what I was attempting. My suspicions are that B of A wants you to setup an online account and further to open a checking or savings account, but the website never indicated such. ** CONFUSED.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

The merchant response team at Bank of America is rude, unorganized, and lazy. They did no due diligence to look into my claim and the information I submitted. They denied the claim with the general letter saying Bank of America exhausted all options to obtain the money from the merchant. Which is complete BS because it was obvious they never reviewed the proof I sent to them, did any research or looked into it, and said they have no control over the merchant's refund process and terms and conditions. What's the point of a disputes department if they always side with the merchant and don't take the appropriate steps to protect their consumers? I'm done with this bank. Moving to one that cares about their customers and protecting them from fraud.

Regardless of all of the proof I sent, they still claim the charge was valid and not fraudulent. I've tried several departments and they pretend to care and that they'll try to help and then come back with the same generic response. Also, no communication between departments. No one takes the time to log my information in my file so I don't have to repeat it several times when I call. Also, they contradict each other. One department says one thing and the other says another. They said there's a limited time they could dispute the charge with the merchant. They never informed me of this deadline and I spent a lot of effort, time and money to get my evidence together for them. Delta was much more understanding and helpful of this situation. Bank of America could care less about their customers.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I have a BOA credit card that I have had for years. I set up automatic withdrawals every week to cover my monthly minimum so I don’t forget or be late with the payments. Since Nov of 2017, BOA has continued to withdraw money weekly covering my payments. In Dec of 2017, my last electronic withdrawal was after the payment due date. They charged me a late fee. It continued from there. In April I received a notice via email indicating that my card was past due. I get my statements electronically so I don’t really check as long as my monthly withdrawals are coming out weekly through my bank. I spoke with a rep of BOA and she advised me of what was happening. I paid the last balance of the late charges... this late payment charge continued through August 9, 2018. I spoke with BOA on August 7th indicating I was unsatisfied with their credit card services and requested my account be closed and advised them I would pay it off.

I paid the full balance on August 8th. On August 9th they reported me to the credit bureaus as being 30 days late. I am furious as they made no attempt after April to contact me again and advise me I was late. Looking at the statements, I realized I was late because they continued to charge me a late fee when the last electronic payment was after the due date. Otherwise I was never late because of the electronic withdrawals. No phone call to advise me. No additional email. I paid off the card August 8 which should have showed up on their system yet they still reported me 30 days late. I believe the company is scamming customers who have electronic withdrawals weekly and I would like to speak with an attorney.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Wait times on phone call UNFORGIVABLE!!! Card showing as invalid and unusable today, options on call center do not address the exact issue, likely a security breach of some sort, but no way to solve the problem and no way to know why unless you visit the ".com" website, which may or may not give me an answer...presume that the 1.5 hour wait time is to encourage FEWER calls, very upset, dinner tonight will be something cold as I have wasted my time on-hold. When did this become "good customer service"???

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Their service has gone to hell. It can take over an hour to get a customer service rep. We were hit by a scam. They knew about this scam yet allowed our account to be bled, without contacting us. Even worse, they led us to believe they would act on our behalf, and had us contact the scam operator over and over to get them information. Finally, they told us they would not act. They could have told us this initially, instead of wasting our time. This company does not care about you or your business.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I have been a AAA Bank of America Card holder for several years (at least 10). I had a balance of around $12.00 that I did not know about and they did not inform me of this balance until after 60 days. Upon inquiring about the balance and why they waited 60 days to say anything about it, I agreed to pay the $17.00 that was the total after interest. I found out today that they closed the account on the 18th of July, and my credit monitoring company told me about this. I called and inquired, and the customer service was deplorable. It seems that Bank of America closed the account and did not have the ethics to inform me. I will never do business with them again and will close any other accounts that I may have with them. I will be writing to them a formal complaint, but I suspect it will do me no justice. If you use Bank of America credit cards, I advise you to fire them immediately.

Original review: July 23, 2018

We paid our bills through Bank of America's bill pay. When checks were "lost" with first bankcard they did little to locate the items but were quick to give us three late notices on our credit report. When it was discovered we were not at fault at all, they still don't seem to want to remove the three notifications!

Bank of America expert review by Beverly Harzog

Bank of America is one of the largest financial institutions in the country. It’s a global leader in wealth management, corporate and investment banking and more. Bank of America is very convenient because it offers 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs. The bank has 32 million online banking users and 19 million mobile users. It has been working with customers for more than 200 years.

• Cash rewards: Bank of America offers several cash back credit cards with good rewards, including one for students.

• Secured credit card: If used responsibly for 12 months, it’s possible to graduate to an unsecured credit card with Bank of America. The 20.49 percent APR is a little high, but it’s not an issue if the bill is paid off every month.

• Credit card for paying down balances: The BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards credit card lets you earn $25 per quarter when you pay more than the minimum amount due, up to $100 per year.

• Zero percent introductory offers: Several cards have these offers for purchases and balance transfers. Read the terms and conditions carefully so you know when the promotion ends.

• Sign-up bonuses: Many of Bank of America's credit cards offer generous sign-up bonuses if you meet the spending requirements within the time requirement.

• Well-designed, user-friendly website: The bank has made it easy to view the rates, fees and rewards for their cards. This makes it easier to understand and choose the card that’s best for you.

• Reputation: Bank of America is a trusted name in the credit card industry.

• Convenience: It has branches all over the world that are easy to access.

• Best for: Consumers who are looking for either travel or cash back credit cards. Also, those who carry a balance and want incentive to pay down their balances.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Bank of America Credit Cards Company Information