Bank of America Credit Cards

Bank of America Credit Cards

4.0/5 (531 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Bank of America Credit Cards

Bank of America (NMLS #399802) offers mortgage loans nationwide and has lending specialists available both online and at branch locations. If you’re searching for a mortgage loan, loan refinancing or a home equity line of credit, visit Bank of America’s website to apply.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Bank of America Credit Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America Credit Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

Was a three year customer with BOA. WAS NEVER LATE WITH PAYMENT; Last month I was traveling extensively and was late a few days for payment. They flat out refused to reimburse a $29 later fee as a one time courtesy. I closed my account as a result, not that they care; Don't waste your time or money with this stingy ridiculous bank.

Original review: June 27, 2022

I don't miss payments and my credit score is valuable to me due to my business. There was a card I don't use that had a charge come through for $25 while I was in the middle of moving and changing my address and bank. I went online and quickly changed all of my information. They decided to not allow the auto pay transfer and allowed the charge of $25 accrue interest. They never contacted me which I thought was strange. I didn't know there was a payment not going through and they let it run out over 180 days then charged off my account.

I pulled my credit report because I saw my score drop. Found out this happened and called them to make it right. I paid the $80 that I owed them but they still couldn't remove the charge off or help me understand why they never called me as a courtesy. She said to me that they don't have to call their clients as a courtesy and that I should have received a statement in the mail. Unbelievable! Customer service is NOT a part of Bank of America, that's for sure!

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 20, 2022

I closed this account with zero balance and due to a clerical error in which an employee had to refund me $200 she took $200 from a close credit card and put it in my bank account without me knowing it. Now two month later I get a letter from Bank of America $294.96. I have explained to the credit card manager who says Felix ** that I requested $200 from a closed account to put in my bank account. That is obvious a human error on the bank or their credit card employee. I find that this credit card Word Elite Mastercard by Bank of America is risking the customer credit history with these kinds of mistakes and employee. When you call to complain they just tell you that you owe the ridiculous amount of money when you believed you closed the account with zero balance. It cost them with me at least my business because I closed all my accounts with Bank of America. It is really a shame this way they have to conduct business.

Original review: June 12, 2022

I made payment for my credit card and Bank of America said I made another payment. I never made the payment but I took their word for it that I did make it in error. I have called Bank of America seven times this week with no luck at all.

Original review: May 29, 2022

So, yesterday I received a notice about a disputed charge that dates back at least 2 months, that they need more documentation about. I have an email from one of their reps indicating that they had credited my card back then, and thought my case had been ratified by now. I try and look up that charge on a past statement, but only the last 2 statements are listed on my account online. They're closed today and have limited telephone hours of operation (it's Sunday).

I have 10 days to give them more information, but will need to pay them $5.00 for them to mail me (from TX, I live in NYS) a past statement that is only 3 months old, that reflects that charge. Chances are, even if I pay the $5 charge for the statement, by the time it gets to my house, it'll be too late, and they'll have recharged my the disputed charge, that I thought had been dealt with already. I've never had to pay for a statement like that. Seems ludicrous to me. Actually, I didn't know that, the "Spirit Airlines" credit card deal of 40,000 points free for signing up was through Bank of America, otherwise, chances are, I wouldn't have signed up, I've had issues with them in the past. I have very good credit, I always pay my bills on time.

After calling Customer Service, going through about 10 minutes of prompts, that's when you find out they're closed. The dispute I initiated is valid, yet here I am. They don't give a damn about your time and energy, it's about them not you. Thing with banks, credit cards, mortgages, etc., is that one is thrown in with the rest of unethical garbage out there and expected to fend for themselves, including the customer services reps who clearly have questionable ethics made all the more obvious by their innuendos, clear inaccuracies (that you don't find out about later) and attitudes they present with you after going through their biased A.I System on the phone. Banks are in the business now, of screwing their customers.

Original review: May 27, 2022

Say they base their late fees on your past history after telling you to call back a month ago and it will be straightened out. This time they claimed they put me through to a manager Daniel (probably not a manager or real name). Said he could lose his job if he credited me anything--'had to follow bank policy'. No attempt to work anything out on the bank's part! I even set up auto payments prior to this to prevent such late payments (after getting charged a 25.00 fee and next month 35.00 late charges--why is there no forgiveness for a 'one-minute late' payment fees and even more why are the late charges different--Seems they charge what they want to.

I had even paid my card off last month and the 35.00 charge was a late fee on top of late fees (with no balance due!) --Daniel had an answer for everything--yes but all in the benefit of BOA essentially robbing someone. I also found out that their system will set up auto payments but even when you owe no balance--these payments will continue and just give credit to a balance not owed... (no option to choose minimum amount due) so if you set up auto pay and forget about it and don't use your card--watch out!

They will owe you and you most likely will never be refunded. I have not been late in years and recall other such issues previously --I had quit using the card --Decided to use it again in the last year--and yes --they find a way to give fees --in the past when I paid more than amount due --the minimum amount due for the next month would be zero...-but because they want interest--and fees--they trick you into getting used to their 'historical' routine and change it...so you are suddenly hit with big fees-- no courtesy forgiveness--just ... 'You should have set up auto payments!

Then when they say late fees are based on your history-- let me make you aware--they mean how much you have allowed them to rob from you --if they haven't taken enough from you---they will get it one way or another --it does no good to call. I have the same experience with mortgage with BOA--it took years of straightening out when they would not credit checks sent them because their system could not do it correctly. Payments to the bank--same issues. I have to say after 25 years customer service over the phone for mortgage payments has gotten better--but their credit card is the worse! As they love to claim, 'fees are based on your history' ...this review is based on 'their history'! So, save the headache, find a bank that knows their survival depends on the customer as it works both ways. Especially avoid the BOA credit card even in desperate situations--as you (or your bank account) will surely 'desperately wish you had' later!!

Resolution response: May 30, 2022

UPDATE: Bank of America contacted me and resolved this matter. They credited off the interest they had charged. (They referred to it as "residual" interest.) Still, I don't know if they would have satisfactorily resolved this issue had I not raised the stink I did. It seems "the squeaky wheel" really does "get the grease". In the end, though, I am happy the issue got resolved.

Original review: May 16, 2022

I paid my balance IN FULL. I even paid it online to make sure there were no other charges, interest, etc. Furthermore, I got confirmation back that it was paid in full and that my balance was now ZERO. Now I get a bill in the mail charging interest, even though the statement itself says I paid the previous balance IN FULL. I called, and they refused to credit the balance (less than $10.00). Fine - you'll get your little bit of extra money. But don't expect any further business from me!

Original review: May 11, 2022

I made a dispute with Bank of America that vendor did not receive money after a cancellation of dispute, for 6 months they are telling they have closed the dispute. It is 1200 dollars and vendor sending me letter that they did not receive money. I am so tired with it. Suggesting everyone close their credit card as soon as possible. They are not giving my money back and sending me the same letters again and again. I am going to make a complaint against them to finance bureau. That is the only option that I can think of right now. It is so frustrating.

Original review: May 7, 2022

I have been trying to resolve two credit card disputes with Bank of America for 6 months now where I was charged incorrect amounts by merchants. The process has been convoluted and confusing. I submitted substantial evidence for both claims, have spoken to about 10 reps who have not been helpful. The customer representatives often do not have accurate information. When I request to speak to a manager, I'm rarely put through. My claims continue to be denied despite providing clear evidence and speaking with multiple customer service reps. It has been made clear throughout this process, that Bank of America does not value protecting the consumer rights of its clients. I will be canceling my credit card with them.

Original review: May 2, 2022

Bank Of America Credit card service is very bad, They simply follow what every system does. I paid my credit card bill 5 mins late and called customer service to waive the late payment fee. Customer service reps are very strict and not willing to manually override the late payment fee. Be careful while using Bank Of America's credit card, it happened the same with another credit card like the Chase, when I called they immediately waive it off. Bank of America is very strict and not customer friendly. I stopped using that credit card.

Bank of America author review by Danni White

Bank of America is one of the largest financial institutions in the country. It’s a global leader in wealth management, corporate and investment banking and more. Bank of America is very convenient because it offers 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs. The bank has 32 million online banking users and 19 million mobile users. It has been working with customers for more than 200 years.

• Cash rewards: Bank of America offers several cash back credit cards with good rewards, including one for students.

• Secured credit card: If used responsibly for 12 months, it’s possible to graduate to an unsecured credit card with Bank of America. The 20.49 percent APR is a little high, but it’s not an issue if the bill is paid off every month.

• Credit card for paying down balances: The BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards credit card lets you earn $25 per quarter when you pay more than the minimum amount due, up to $100 per year.

• Zero percent introductory offers: Several cards have these offers for purchases and balance transfers. Read the terms and conditions carefully so you know when the promotion ends.

• Sign-up bonuses: Many of Bank of America's credit cards offer generous sign-up bonuses if you meet the spending requirements within the time requirement.

• Well-designed, user-friendly website: The bank has made it easy to view the rates, fees and rewards for their cards. This makes it easier to understand and choose the card that’s best for you.

• Reputation: Bank of America is a trusted name in the credit card industry.

• Convenience: It has branches all over the world that are easy to access.

by Danni White ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Danni White is committed to providing valuable resources designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions. Danni specializes in content strategy and development, with over a decade of professional writing and research experience.

Bank of America Credit Cards Company Information