Bank of America Credit Cards

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

638people found this page helpful

Record a review about your experience with Bank of America Credit Cards:

Login to record a Video Review

We are official Bank of America reps, here to help, listen & learn from our customers.

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

I was with BofA for a little over 3 years and have nothing but bad to say about them. Every single number listed on their site is just all automated and never gives you the options you need and never routes you to an actual person to talk to. The only way to get an actual person is to initiate a chat and that can be a long wait in itself. You can't even reach someone at a branch.

They are horrendous with protecting you from fraud as well. I had a debit card and credit card and had to replace each at least half a dozen times due to fraudulent charges and activity that occurred systematically on both of them. They also love to just charge you fees at random. Like for example I did a payment to my credit card on the due date and that same day I was charged a late fee. I had to initiate a chat to get the fee lifted. They just love to make money and do not care about their customers. The pure fact that they send your new card through the regular mail is another sign that they do not care.

I am used to endless hold when calling credit card companies about billing questions. But I had a fraud situation and BoA was essentially unreachable. I am cancelling the card.

I closed the credit line on 6/2, I had the account fully paid off. 6/10 Bank of America reopened my account to charge me $12. On 7/20 they took the charge off and assured me the account would be closed in 24 hours. Just got a statement in the mail the other day. 8/10 Bank of America charged me $1.50 interest on a zeroed out closed account!!! Does anyone know a lawyer I can contact about this? I don't want this company anywhere near my financial life!

I wait until I receive my ebill notification from Bank of America credit card to pay my bill. They post a little bell next to your credit card on your online banking, letting you know that a new payment is due. As soon as I see that, I automatically pay my bill. (Same day) What is happening is they are actually posting an ebill on the same day that the statement is processing. If you then click on it and make your payment, it is actually being posted as an additional payment for the previous statement period, and not on the new statement period you are currently in, per the ebill you just got. The problem with this is, that you assume when you make your payment for the current bill that was just posted that that will be your payment that is due for that Period. Then when you log back into your online banking, you will still see that a payment is still owing.

I have called them several times on this and they refused to understand that they are posting the ebill a day early and prompting customers to make the payment that day when in actuality they shouldn't make the payments till a day later. This basically forces people to make two payments that month in order for them to show that their account is current. You have to know that the payment that was just made does NOT show up on the old statement but does show up as a "current" payment transaction. Even though they posted in old period I have to note that the payment that was just made does not show up on the old statement but does show up as a transaction for the new statement. Even though they posted in old statement period.

This is not right. We are basically getting forced to make another payment to ensure that you have a payment that post in the new statement period. Please note, that this is not a past due situation. I pay my credit card the day that I get the ebill. They are simply sending out the ebills too early indicating that you owe a payment. When you go to make that payment if you happen to make it on the same day the bill comes out it applies it to the old statement. Even though it is a new ebill. This then forces you to make an additional payment for that period otherwise your account shows late.

Please note, that this is not a past due situation. I pay my credit card bills the day that I get it. None of the payments are made late. They are simply sending out the ebill too early indicating that you owe a payment. When you go to make that payment if you happen to make it on the same day it applies it to the old statement. Even though it is a new ebill. This then forces you to make an additional payment for that otherwise your account Will be late. It is a simple online glitch, and they refuse to fix it!!!

Bank of America credit card is charging interest, computed daily, on the credit card balance that is open during the grace period to pay what is due. No way will I continue with this credit card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

I have come up with a viable past time while you are on interminable hold waiting to speak to someone on the phone in the fraud division. Google what the executives at BOA are making in compensation. Then maybe it will become clear why there are underpaid, overworked people trying to handle customer complaints -- of which they are too many to mention. I bet the only thing that is a hassle to these executives is getting to get the heliport on Fridays to book a seat to the Hampton's. My mother gifted me some BOA stock when she passed away. She was using this stock to supplement her social security income. I watched that stock go into the dumper where it has basically stayed all these years. I have kept it as a memory of her but at a penny a share, she wouldn't even have been able to get a decent lunch out of that.

Stay far far away. I've been a long time customer (> 10 years), and they are screwing with me regarding a vacation impacted payment (3 days late). They have upped the flat charge. They have upped the percentage penalty, and they treated me like a piece of crap on the phone. When I tried to cancel, they don't tell you you have 300+ bucks in points equiv positive, they try to cancel on you without letting you redeem. Take your business far from here. Far far away!! Don't give them the chance to screw you too!!!

I have been a Visa and a Mastercard holder with Bank of America for over 10 years. When I have called Customer Service over the past 10 years I have almost always had the call answered promptly. Today I called (on a Sunday!) and attempted to reach Customer Service on 3 separate occasions. Wait times were over an hour and it seems that Bank of America has changed their automated prompts to make it more challenging to get a rep on the phone. I will feel compelled to look for another credit card company if Bank of America can't get their act back together and return to good customer service practices.

Trying to order textbooks, and they decline my purchase (I have a zero balance on this credit card, so money wasn't the issue, and they approved the other two purchases). By the way, it took them well over three hours to even alert me to the suspected fraud. So I try to contact them to find out what the **, and the guy tells me, "Oh, sorry, you'll have to call". So, I call, and guess what, the wait time is over an hour. I am trying to make a purchase. Seriously, what if I was standing in the grocery store? Or trying to pick up my kids from daycare and make the payment there? Or get an emergency flight out of some ** hell hole, or pay for a life saving medicine? By the time I got through to their "customer service" I'd be dead.

I called these people but before I can get through anyone's I have to push so much numbers and was on hold for 45 minutes and some smart ** Nick ** got on the phone being a very smart ** and before I can say anything I was transfer for another 20 min wait time. That's already total of 1 hr and 5 min and guess what. When someone finally answered saying wrong department and got transferred again for another 30 min. That's total of 1 hr and 35 min. Where the hell is all the people that they hire ** at the back office. And their dispute department is horrible. I was asking question more like a interrogation than a customers so I hanged up.

And most of the when I called the people that they hired had such a deep accent that I can't even understand what they said and the ones who's speaks well acting like an arrogant **. I ** hate Bank of America. And when I called to closed the account the ** behind the line was rude and saying that I should not based on one bad experienced to closed the account. And I told her "one experienced was enough and now I am closing an account with you and your attitude." I definitely wanted to closed permanently and I told her thank god because I don't plan to reopen an account with this dumb ** bank.

The thing is if this bank is so busy then hired more people. We have emergency and needed to speak to someone fast. I don't need these people answer my call when they are good and ready. Please there's is a lot of credit card out there that have great service but not Bank of America. Horrible people, horrible card and hideous service all the ways. No one should have to wait like I did to speaks to someone and had a nervous breakdown. These people try to tell me that my card is premium. Then if my card is premium and got tested the way I was treated I can't imagine what other card holder going through. When try to called them the only time I got good service was activated my card. Them is bank suck and their service is sucker. Bank of America you know what. You can take the credit card, shove it up to y'all where the sun don't shine.

I went through a horrible divorce and my assets were frozen. I had a balance with Bank of America (BOA) and had always paid the entire balance off monthly. Once my bank account was frozen, I contacted BOA to let them know that my payment would need to be extended. After a couple months I called BOA and informed them that I would pay the account in full and requested the payoff balance. I was given the outstanding balance and paid it in full with late charges/fees and confirmed that the entire account was paid including fees and interest through the payoff date. The following month I received a credit card statement stating that I owed another $300. I refused to pay it as I had already paid my balance in full and the amount owed at the time of the payoff was inclusive of all fees/charges and interest.

I have had the account in good standing and have not paid the balance. I have spoken to BOA management and they still will not remove the charges. I think it is so sad that BOA will push hard for this $300 that they said is additional that I owe. At the time of the payoff, the balance was $11,000. I am just a small consumer. I am disgruntled and cannot believe the poor customer service and empathy that BOA has. I was thinking that this bank was going to be wonderful to assist me, but when the chips were down for me, yeah, they let me ride out a couple of months without paying anything. But after a couple of months, they were paid in full with all their fees and interest and they still want more. I'm done with Bank of America!

Bank of America isn't customer friendly. I have a card/acct. with a limit of $19,400 credit limit that I currently owe $1,918.24 and am considering paying off. The account has always been in good standing, with the exception of an issue with a credited online payment that they indicate didn't occur. So 30 days... BS. I just found out that the account was closed without notification, but ALL statements (mailed or online) indicate the above credit limit. So, they closed my account without good reason and without notice. I advise considering other options before doing business with BOA!

B of A is the WORST bank on the planet from their fraudulent processes to their horrible customer services/staff! After having a Gold Reserve account for years linked to checking, B of A randomly "closed these accounts for all customers". This created a spiraling disaster. They promised to correct things and return the thousands of dollars to me "within 48 hours". Another LIE from this evil bank, no funds 5 days later, right before I'm to hop a plane out of country! They are heartless!!! They smile, smirk and sneer at you as they tell you there's nothing they can do. I can't wait to transfer every penny out of my accounts when I return from vacation! Stay away from these shady crooks!

July 12, 2016: Call to inform that we would make major purchase with their Visa card while on vacation, including to Canada. Card must not be placed on restriction during the trip. July 17: Visa Card frozen, one pre-booked tour was cancelled. No alternate credit card. Have to use cell phone to call B of A, on our expensive "roaming" time. 1st call: 10 min. hold. Gave up. 2nd call: Female rep said she must call us back on pre-registered cell phone to verify ID. Never called back. 3rd call: Male rep with accent impossible to decipher. Spoke to supervisor. He released all restriction. I WOULD NOT TRUST any front line rep. I would call supervisor to verify their work. I would get another bank's credit card.

Applied for a 18 month, zero interest cc and got approved for two balance transfers, for less than 5k total within 1 minute, but they didn't inform me it would take 3 weeks for them to do the balance transfers which ended up causing me to pay late fees on my old account. When BOA staff were questioned about all the time it took I was told "Oh, you must have applied online". Yeah, so what? If you apply online you're not going to get all the info you need. I'm taking their damn card and stashing it away, using their zero interest for the 18 months and not charging a DAMN thing on it.

Been with BOA since 94. Had a 21,000 credit limit, paid on time, paid balances off a few times. Paid Balance once again in Feb 2016. Called a few days later to make sure there were no interest charges that would come up. The customer service guy said "No there will not be any". He said unless I charge something I do not need to look at my statements for payments. WRONG. Just found out I owed $32 for interest. So I called and paid it. They waived the late fee as they understood the mistake. BUT the account was closed based on being 60 days late. In order to open it again, they wanted to pull a credit report. NO THANKS.

My credit rating is very high which means very good. Now I have a blemish. I told BOA that they needed to change this to not show 60 days late or that it was closed due to being 60 days late. And of course they cannot do this. Therefore because I listened to them shame on me. I encourage everyone who has BOA to change. There is so much more to the story but I have spent too much time on it already. I have never written a review before, but they screwed up and at the end of the day, I was the one that got screwed. My credit report will show a 60 late payment and account closed due to 60 day late payment.

I checked my credit card online this afternoon and I saw a charge that I was not supposed to have from a gym membership. I called them, the first call I waited 40 minutes online trying to speak with a representative. Someone answered but it was not the correct person, then she put me on hold and tried to connect me with the right department, that took 45 minutes and unfortunately I was not assisted because they hung up the phone. I tried one more time to see if I was lucky enough to find a nice person that could assist me. I gentlemen answered the phone and asked me how he could help me. I explained him my situation. He decided to contact the gym but at the end was even worst. He did not help me with anything. I waste my time trying to get in touch with them and trying to resolve my problem.

I just had an horrible experience with Bank of America even though I have been doing business with them for 3 years and I am a awesome customer. I am deciding TO CLOSE ALL MY ACCOUNTS. At the end they do not care about the customer. They do not value the good customers they have. But its fine. What could I expect from them. The only thing that they do right is CHARGING AND COLLECTING MONEY. I am sure that there is a lot of great banks that will take care and appreciate a good customer.

After 18 years of banking with BoA, never missing a payment, never overdrafting an account, and having 3 accounts, 3 lines of credit, and a credit score in the 700s today we decided we would open our business account with BoA. During our visit we found out that one of our credit lines we recently opened to balance transfer away from American Express was decreased from 10,000.00 to 2900.00 with no real explanation (mind you we've never missed a payment or overdrafted or overextended our credit) and the balance transfer we set up didn't go through. We found this out by going in there for an unrelated visit to open a business account.

Bank of America obviously already is known for being a greedy, inconsiderate, and generally unpleasant company to work with and we've given them countless opportunities to prove their value, but today was the end of it. We've opened our business account with Wells Fargo and we've agreed to a credit line with no interest for 18 months to get all of our BoA credit lines closed out and moved away from this miserable place. BoA convinced us to open this line of credit and then a week later after sending us congratulatory letters, our credit card, and a copy of our credit report with our 718 credit score, they turned around and made the credit line worthless. Thank you for adding a credit inquiry to our credit report for nothing BoA... Thanks for that.

I have applied for a Bank Of America travel credit card online on 10th June 2016. I found it to be pretty slow. I called customer care to fast track my application process but I was indeed given an option to cancel my credit card application as it takes too long i.e, 30 days for them to review and later on 7-10 days to reach me by mail. When I asked customer care if they made any hard inquiry on credit report, they never confirmed it. Otherwise I would have cancelled my credit card application. I did not expect this, and would like to give a less than zero rating for processing new credit card. Very slow service.

I have been credit card customer for the last 5 years and always paid on time except for last month where I was late by 1 day. They charged a service fee of $25 and when I requested to waive it, the representative tone was like "Get lost." What a horrible way of dealing with the customers. Will never use this card and will never suggest this bank or credit card to anyone.

I wish I had read all the reviews here before getting a Bank of America card. I contacted them today because I have never received anything regarding my Amtrak reward points. I asked them what my member number was. My customer service representative Erika said they did not know. I asked them how on Earth are they crediting me any points if I don't even have a member number? So basically the reward points that were advertised with the card are a scam and do not exist. This is fraudulent advertising for both Bank of America and Amtrak.

I signed up with a promotional APR of 0% for 12 to 15 months and after the 1st month, I was charged interest and now they are saying, I only have 0% on balance transfers. This is ridiculous! The purpose of me applying was to take advantage of 0% to save money! Bank of America is not a good company to do business with!! Stay away from this company, they are only in the market to rip people off, stealing people's money!

I had a Visa secured credit card with BofA and I have never received any statements or activity on my account. Up to this date my account is now in collections when I had never used it and tried to file a fraud case. They never could assist me. It's either pay your account or nothing. What type of business is this? I had submitted a credit dispute to see what other actions can be done.

An account was opened in 2001 by Larry **. I later married his widow. I never agreed to be responsible for this account and NEVER made a purchase or asked to have my name put on it. BofA has slandered my credit and this account is the ONLY derogatory account I have out of 18. I spent $100 bucks with Lexington Law to fight this. They told me to hire a local attorney. I am in Sacramento Ca. I NEED an attorney and will spend the money need to file a lawsuit. Thanks.

I have been trying to resolve a issue with BOA Claims Depart, Customer Service, etc. for 3 months. No one there can help you. They say they will call you back and don't. I have made 6 calls to them, going through details each time and then they say they can help me and transfer me to someone else who can't help either. No one knows what they are doing and I can't resolve the issues. It's the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. I have cancelled the card and will never use BOA again. I have excellent credit, but was traveling to Alaska and wanted this card for free bags. Alaska Airlines should find new bank cause this one is killing your business. It's a long story, after 3 months, but these guys are terrible, worthless and it's painful listening to all their excuses. No one is authorized there for anything, so don't even bother calling.

I transferred 1,700 dollar from debit to platinum credit card. As there are no BOA locations in columbus ohio. The balance wasn't showed up in my online account even after 12 hour. I called them and make a request several times. They just keep transferring my call to one another. They didn't say it's not possible. They just keep transferring and at the middle they disconnect phone. Worse experience..

Started at 5 minutes estimated wait, then as I waited it changed to 6 minutes, 7 minutes, and so on. How does the volume of demand and the estimated time increase when I'm already in the queue?

I opened an account with Bank of America in 2007, have always paid the min. payment. On 4/13/2016 I paid my entire bal. of 6,624.24. As soon as I did they reviewed my credit & decided to close my account. They penalized me for paying the balance.

I live abroad and use Bank of America as my US-based bank. I am having some issues with my debit card and the problem could be solved if I just could talk to a real human for a couple seconds. Alas, no luck! I simply can't wait on hold for 30-40 minutes, especially because I'm not confident that holding longer will ever result in a connected call! The worst part: I call during business hours, and the message tells me: "We're sorry, our offices are closed. Our business hours are 7 am-10 pm, please call back during those times." Considering I am calling at 8 am on a Tuesday, I am pretty sure I AM CALLING DURING THOSE TIMES. Ugggh! Just awful.

The bank calls leaves me a message and says my account will be on hold until I call and review some transactions with them. I have been calling for three days and nobody picks the call up. So how am I supposed to call and clear it up if they wont answer the call?

Expert Review

Beverly HarzogCredit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.    More about Beverly→

Bank of America is one of the largest financial institutions in the country. It’s a global leader in wealth management, corporate and investment banking and more. Bank of America is very convenient because it offers 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs. The bank has 32 million online banking users and 19 million mobile users. It has been working with customers for more than 200 years.

• Cash rewards: Bank of America offers several cash back credit cards with good rewards, including one for students.
  • Secured credit card: If used responsibly for 12 months, it’s possible to graduate to an unsecured credit card with Bank of America. The 20.49 percent APR is a little high, but it’s not an issue if the bill is paid off every month.
  • Credit card for paying down balances: The BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards credit card lets you earn $25 per quarter when you pay more than the minimum amount due, up to $100 per year.
  • Zero percent introductory offers: Several cards have these offers for purchases and balance transfers. Read the terms and conditions carefully so you know when the promotion ends.
  • Sign-up bonuses: Many of Bank of America's credit cards offer generous sign-up bonuses if you meet the spending requirements within the time requirement.
  • Well-designed, user-friendly website: The bank has made it easy to view the rates, fees and rewards for their cards. This makes it easier to understand and choose the card that’s best for you.
  • Reputation: Bank of America is a trusted name in the credit card industry.
  • Convenience: It has branches all over the world that are easy to access.
  • Best for Consumers who are looking for either travel or cash back credit cards. Also, those who carry a balance and want incentive to pay down their balances.

Compare Credit Cards