Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
Bank of America Credit Cards
3.48/5
Based on 1,234 ratings submitted in the last year

Bank of America Credit Cards

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Bank of America Credit Cards Reviews

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

They kept raising my credit line when I told them not to. I told them I’m on SSI. They didn’t care. It went from $500 to now a $7,000 credit limit with a insanely high interest rate and somehow I now owe them $4,000 with a interest of about $100 a month. Now I have to find a way out because I’m sinking in debt and it’s killing me that I might have to go bankrupt because there is no other way out. Plus their customer service is the worst. They quickly judge and form an opinion on you. They don’t have compassion for you. I’m starting dialysis soon. They could care less. I regret the day I ever got a credit card from these people.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Absolutely fraud.. I applied for a credit card with a 0% balance transfer fee and then when I was approved, I called to make a balance transfer. The agent told me there’s a 3% transfer fee on the card I applied for and that I was given the wrong information while applying after putting me on hold for 30 minutes. So I decided to cancel my card. I feel frustrated to have my time and energy wasted on them. There are way better credit card companies with better services than this!

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

So, I’ve been with Bank of America for years... started rebuilding my credit and since then I’ve purchased my 1st home. I have zero regrets about doing business with BofA as that is concerned, because it proved to be a benefit to me in the long run, but as of today I’ve decided to move on. So, I contacted the credit card department requesting for a credit limit increase and was denied for past credit issues that I experienced 10 years ago and have since improved... Bank of America even reimbursed my deposit because of my good payment history. So, I have decided to pay the balance in full and seek business elsewhere.

So, if you are interested in repairing your credit, sure Bank of America can assist you, but they will not be a bank that you can grow with. I was not turned down for a luxury car nor a home, but a credit limit increase??? So, I am bidding Bank of America a goodbye as of next month. Also, when speaking with the Bank of America representative and manager, there was just little to no concern about how I felt and simply disregarded me as a customer. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

Bank of America has killed the one service that differentiates theirs from all other credit cards, and the main reason I have remained a Bank of America customer since 1977. ShopSafe is a web service that allows a Bank of America credit card holder to create a virtual credit card number for use online. Once a charge is completed with this virtual credit card, it is locked to that vendor, and all other charge attempts are rejected. Bank of America killed this service on 20 September with the assertion that equivalent services such as Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal, and Verified by Visa are equally effective. In the seven days since this unfortunate event, I have made no less than ten purchases online, and NONE of these "equivalent services" were available on ANY of the sites where I was shopping. Bank of America had a service that differentiated them from other credit cards, but NO MORE.

I still hold a Bank of America credit card strictly for the Alaska Airlines mileage plan, but all of my online transactions are going elsewhere. Privacy.com has a similar service that generates a virtual debit card from a bank account, upon which a $ limit can be placed, but the vendor isolation feature is not there, and Privacy.com requires online entry of bank account and routing numbers, which may be a security risk. Of course, informing Bank of America that this action has resulted in the loss of a loyal customer had no effect.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

They never credited my payment of $1000.00 dated July 3, 2018. It has been verified by my bank that my check has been cashed by B of A. I am an add user of my friend that applied for this account but I am just the only one using it and paying it as well, and the fact that it is so difficult to communicate with them since I am an add user, and I am the one that paid off the balance which it is already 5% balance paid off compared to the outstanding high balance of $14000. And for some reason that my Visa card has so much credit available but they keep declining it for no apparent reason.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I set up bill pay for the balance on a physician visit. The money was removed from my checking account. However a month later I received another statement from the physician’s office saying I hadn’t yet paid. When I contacted B of A they confirmed the check wasn’t cashed. How is the consumer to know the check never made it unless we get additional statements and late fees since the money was removed from the account by the bank as a completed transaction? Seriously flawed system.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

Would you like to spend $100 on international phone calls to call Bank of America and be told by the 8th representative that your issue got fixed and then find out that your issue is still there. Then go ahead and apply for their credit cards. Git forbid you are a military member going overseas and thinking to apply for this joke of a bank. Save yourself the money, time and anger dealing with the most untrained stuff in the history of banks. No words to describe my disappointment. Now we are stuck overseas with this credit card and literally nothing that they can help us with. I miss Chase and Usaa and any other bank.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

They might as well not bother with mobile banking other than looking at your account and locking your debit card. Mobile deposits are a waste of time. You are supposed to be able to use the funds right then. Otherwise you can just go into the bank if you want to deposit a payroll check. It's stupid and very frustrating dealing with them. Nobody can do anything with a system that should automatically operate without people. They are the worst and I see why they have lawsuits against them.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Have been with BofA close to 30 years. Last year they changed my checking and savings account types so they could charge me higher service fees. Last week I removed 2 auto payments from my checking account. This week BofA emails me that there have been important changes to my credit card accounts but doesn't say what those changes are. Today I get one letter for each of my three credit card accounts that says they decided to close them. They stated the reason was that I had recently made late payments, which wasn't true. I should have left BofA a long time ago.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

I had a Bank of America credit card for nearly a decade, which I paid off monthly...So, while I am a responsible financial consumer, not a very profitable account-holder. My recent balance was $34.05 with a $25.00 minimum payment due. I realized that I had some reward credits available and decided to credit $34.05 to the account to take the balance to $0, right? Wrong! Apparently, even if the reward covers the entire balance due, they do not cover the minimum payment due. Oddly, if I would have had the $34.05 deposited FIRST into my checking account and THEN transferred it back into the credit account, all would be good!?! Unfortunately, that was not the case and so I was charged a $25.00 Late Payment Fee.

My call to customer service was to explain my oversight/misunderstanding and request a fee reversal or courtesy credit. This was not to be the case. Both the Customer Service Agent and her Manager were politely adamant that Bank of America does not allow this. I've had financial products at multiple institutions for several decades and have NEVER run into a policy that was so inflexible. I asked if Bank of America was willing to lose a customer over a $25.00 Late Payment Fee, which unfortunately was the case. I have closed my account, my relationship with Bank of America is over and will never be re-established. With the PLETHORA of financial services firms and products available to consumers, I am surprised that they were more interested in keeping $25.00 than keeping a customer. So long BofA!

Bank of America expert review by Beverly Harzog

Bank of America is one of the largest financial institutions in the country. It’s a global leader in wealth management, corporate and investment banking and more. Bank of America is very convenient because it offers 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs. The bank has 32 million online banking users and 19 million mobile users. It has been working with customers for more than 200 years.

• Cash rewards: Bank of America offers several cash back credit cards with good rewards, including one for students.

• Secured credit card: If used responsibly for 12 months, it’s possible to graduate to an unsecured credit card with Bank of America. The 20.49 percent APR is a little high, but it’s not an issue if the bill is paid off every month.

• Credit card for paying down balances: The BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards credit card lets you earn $25 per quarter when you pay more than the minimum amount due, up to $100 per year.

• Zero percent introductory offers: Several cards have these offers for purchases and balance transfers. Read the terms and conditions carefully so you know when the promotion ends.

• Sign-up bonuses: Many of Bank of America's credit cards offer generous sign-up bonuses if you meet the spending requirements within the time requirement.

• Well-designed, user-friendly website: The bank has made it easy to view the rates, fees and rewards for their cards. This makes it easier to understand and choose the card that’s best for you.

• Reputation: Bank of America is a trusted name in the credit card industry.

• Convenience: It has branches all over the world that are easy to access.

• Best for: Consumers who are looking for either travel or cash back credit cards. Also, those who carry a balance and want incentive to pay down their balances.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Bank of America Credit Cards Company Information