Find the Best Card

Learn More
Bank of America Credit Cards
1.04/5

Bank of America Credit Cards

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

Find the Best Card

Save and Earn Rewards - Compare Cards Side by Side

Learn More

1706 Bank of America Credit Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

After over 15 years of having this credit card and paying on time with good credit they closed my account. Only thing I can think was I had gotten a call asking for information of mine and said they were from Bank Of America. I was reluctant to give it to them asking me where I worked seen as I’ve been working at the same place for over 19 years, same place I worked when I applied for this credit card. I wouldn’t give him the information, I thought it was bogus, I pay my bill on time so why were they asking me this now. They lost a good customer and I sure don’t think the same way about them as I did prior.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Every time I have to call B of A customer support, I end up waiting an average of HALF AN HOUR for a representative to pick up. HIRE MORE REPRESENTATIVES!!! Try getting representatives that are actually located in the United States. I can hardly understand the reps when do pick up the call. HIRE AMERICANS.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I used my Bank of America credit card to book a motel reservation using a reservation site on the internet. Because of the reservation site's "system error", my reservation was cancelled, but I was still expected to pay for the reservation. I explained the situation with the credit card company, since that was how I was to handle this. I talked with person after person, for months and every person I spoke with understood my situation. But the office that makes the final decision repeated denied my claim. The last letter stated they wouldn't respond to any further correspondence regarding this claim. I've had it! I cancelled my card and will never deal with them again.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

Spent WAY too much time on this already but want other people to be aware. BOA is a NIGHTMARE. Their customer service is unbelievably inefficient, reps are rude, several have claimed that they took notes when the next rep says they had no record. Chase bank - my checking account, gave me proof of payment that for 5 months BOA claimed my payments were overdue by 1 day when they were received by BOA on time but not being applied to my account until a day later. Each time I was charged a $38 fee. Payments were on autopay and I get wireless statements so it went unnoticed until I began getting robocalls... Even with proof of payment, no refund, rude reps and ruined credit. Caveat Emptor!!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I have 2 personal credits cards, as well as several business accounts and credit cards with Bank of America. I have a revolving revenue of more than several hundred thousands, and they still treat me like dirt. I had my account and credit cards frozen because of OFAC compliance, 2 months ahead of notice. I gather all the documents, submit it several times online, call them, and get nowhere. I finally take the documents to a local branch, sit there for 3 hours while they fax it and get it sorted out (because they can't handle email very well!) and finally get the confirmation that everything is going to be opened and ok. I ask again, "Are my credit cards going to be fine too?" And hear, "Yes, within 24 hours."

A week passes and nothing changes. Now I call customer support on credit card, and after a 1 hour wait, hear that they have to connect me to OFAC department. While I explain the stuff there, they disconnect me! The next day I do the same process (2 hour long), and this time they connect me to OFAC and they connect me somewhere else, every time making me explain everything from scratch. Now they drop the connection while transferring. And no callback.

The next day, the same process. Once they connect me to OFAC, they say our working hours are over, call again tomorrow! The next day (day 4), the same process again. I finally scream at someone in OFAC, and they tell me there have been notes on my account and this should've been taken care of more than a week ago! And connect me back to credit card support.

After several hours on the phone, they say, "Yes the note is here and we're going to open your account again." Then I see an email telling me that there's a Hard Inquiry on my credit report! I ask, on the phone, "What's going on," and they say, "Yes, we did a Hard Inquiry." I ask, "Without my permission?" And they say, "You gave us permission by saying you wanted them reopened!"

This is clearly a fraudulent department and I'm following up with TransUnion about this. Now I have a hard inquiry on my credit report, for a crappy credit card that I already had! I could open a card 10 times better with that inquiry, and be done with BoA for good, but they didn't even ask me to do this. Now they tell me they will open the accounts in 5 days, and I have spent some 20 hours of my precious time doing this thing that they should've done initially, for a customer that's bringing them a lot of business. They should be a dead business in 2019, with this sort of crap.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I opened a secured credit card with Bank of America in order to rebuild credit. Unfortunately instead to help me this decision ruined my credit with a 30 days Past Due reported to the credit bureau. 1) Alerts in the website for past due balance does not work even checking and savings were set up. 2) Customer Service for BOA is handle for call centers reps. Humberto **, a rep, was very rude to me when I expressed my frustration with him, very arrogant and aggressive. He transferred me to the "manager" (misrepresentation because he is not a manager, he is another call center rep). BANK OF AMERICA is not anymore the bank that it was in the past.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I’ve had my identity stolen and been hacked and BofA will believe the hackers and not me. I can prove that they’re hackers. I’ve also filed a claim for fraud with the US Govt plus a claim with the county where I live but BofA chooses not to believe me. $799.99 + interest. BofA expects me to pay the identity thieves for stealing my identity. DO NOT TRUST BANK OF AMERICA. I REPEAT, DO NOT TRUST BANK OF AMERICA. THEY ARE HACKERS THEMSELVES.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have had two BoA credit cards for over 10 years, with direct payment from my checking account. My FICO score is 815. My November payment WAS made for my -9111 account but was not credited to the account. When I received notice of non-payment, I immediately had the "missing" payment re-sent plus an additional $500 to cover pending new charges. I ended up with a credit balance on the -9111 account. I was charged a late fee and interest. I called BoA customer service (one and half hour hold) to ask that the late charges and interest be waived. My request was denied on the basis that I should have made the payment on time. I closed the -9111 account during that call and I received a refund of my credit balance on my account, but not the late fee and interest. Two months later, I found that the "missing" payment to the -9111 account WAS received by BoA, but it was credited to my second account -5043.

I again called BoA customer service (2 hour hold). The representative reviewed the situation and noted that I actually HAD sent in my payment. She refunded the late charges and interest of my now closed -9111 account. I also closed the -5043 account and received a refund of my "missing" payment. Two weeks later, I received a bill for additional interest on the -9111 account. I AGAIN called BoA customer service (one and a half hour hold), with the above story, the representative gave me some explanation about monthly cycles and wanted to terminate the call. I asked about refund of the new interest charges. She said, "What about them?" I said that I wanted these refunded also. She then said, okay, SHE WAS NOT PERMITTED TO DO UNLESS I SPECIFICALLY ASKED FOR A REFUND. Then I applied again for the type of card I cancelled. I was approved and I now have the new card.

Bottom line: BoA COULD have properly researched the issue on my very first call, transferred the "missing" payment from the -5043 account to the -9111 account, refunded the late fee and interest. Problem solved. Instead, we ended up cancelling two cards, initiating a third and I received all fees and interest anyway. Further bottom line: The new card provides a $200 bonus if I spend $500 in ninety days, which I definitely do. So this whole thing ended up costing BoA some customer service time, some extra time and effort in processing the three cards, some cash in terms of the bonus AND a huge loss of this customer's view of BoA. If it were not for the financial advantage to this particular BoA card, I'd kick them to the curb.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

This company is completely unreasonable. They would not remove a late fee, even though the payment was only 2 days late and their own system was down. I have a nearly perfect credit score and have never paid late. I paid late one time for Discover Card and they had no problem removing the fee, given my record. Very unprofessional. I closed the account as a result. They were not accommodating at all. I expected so much more from a National Educational Association Bank of America card.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I’ve had this card for 18 years. Paid it off every month and they switched my mailing address to my home address and I missed 1 and 1/2 payments because I did not receive a statement and then when we got that cleared up they have ruined my credit completely while I’m refinancing a house under construction so between never being able to talk to a real person on the phone you literally need about an hour to go through the auto phone robot to tell a real person your issue for them to tell you they can’t do anything. After the moment I received the late statement I had a check in the mail but still no deal. These guys have extreme power and are evil. Hope they need a bailout soon. Time for a change. I will pay the extra over the next 30 years to refi and not renew my card yahoo.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

So I called and asked for a settlement on my account. I have been with BOA for 4 years and have always paid my bill and have an account in good standing. I was laid off a few months ago. Since then I have been paying the minimum. Spoke with Account Rep Santrese **. After a long convo she did not offer any help. I explained I am trying to make a good faith payoff to avoid collections and settle the debt. No help was offered at all. No interest deduction no payment plans etc. They said I do not qualify even with an excellent payment record.

Other credit card companies have worked with me since this hardship to keep our credit good and offered a pay off Which we paid and made good. We pretty much got the it's not our problem reaction. Pretty frustrating and unbelievable. I will continue to pay the minimums I guess. This company is huge and I'm sure the accounts are secured. They need to be more considerate to their clients. I will be posting this review on all platforms. Shame on them.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I just received and activated a BOA credit card two days ago. Upon trying to use it today for the first time, it was declined. Contacted BOA and was informed that the wait time would be an hour to an hour and 40 minutes to speak with someone. Upon finally speaking to a rep was told that the card was declined due to fraud and I would need to visit a branch to verify I am who I say I am. WTF! Mind you I literally just received and activated this card less than 48 hours ago. Never in my life have I had this kind of issue with a bank or credit card company especially after just activating an account. Not only are their practices absurd they have horrible customer service. I would not recommend anyone use them for banking or credit needs!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

There is no 24 hour customer service. If you have a problem with your credit card in the middle of the night, you can't call. You have to have access to the app or website. When you do call during business hours be prepared to waste at least an hour of your time. I think they fired 90 percent of their customer service staff. They do proudly now announce that their staff is "Michael in Texas" or "Jean from Albany, NY" so they're "proudly" not outsourcing to other countries anymore. And when you do finally get ahold of someone they are as pleasant and helpful as can be. So that's great; they gave jobs back to a handful of Americans who are fielding all these calls, and it takes an hour to get through to any of them and/or redirected to the correct person. Overall big thumbs down. Not worth it.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

First of, calling to make a credit card payment is a pain in my rear. The stupid automated service makes you go through about 3 different prompts and upsells before I can just make a dang payment. And forget trying to simply say your information. If there is ANY minor background noise, like a baby gurgling or a television talking, the system goes haywire and messes everything up. And it tells you all this useless garbage I don't care about like what my balance is and what my cash advance is and so on. I AM TRYING TO PAY YOU CLOWNS OFF, NOT INCUR MORE DEBT. STOP TELLING ME THIS FLUFF AND LET ME PAY.

And you might say, "Just go to the teller." Well, I work odd hours and only have time for going around 12 noon. Yeah, the lunch break hours. My local branch typically has ONE PERSON working the lunch rush when others go in to do the same thing. Many people in today's society work two jobs, have kids, and generally cannot make it to the bank teller as much as they would like. These guys need to just make it easy for Pete's sake.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Never I will use their cards again. When I bought international ticket the website didn’t make confirmation. When I ask them for confirmation they said, "You must pay more $200," and they charge me $100 without booking the ticket. I have all the information which prove my speech but Bank of America didn’t do anything. Never I will use their cards again. How can I trust them if one stolen me?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Every time I go to the bank in Natick, they always said "you've been approved for a great card where I can earn points for every purchase", not so great when dealing with thieves. I fell for it one day, applied for one and got it. I started using the card instead of using my own money to earn the points. I was never late and also paid them 5 to 10 times the minimum payments; I ended up earning over 37k in points. One day, I got a call from BoA and they told me that they're going to close the account because of my purchases which means that I lost all the points that I've procured through my transactions. I called them and tried to retrieve those points but I got treated like a piece of trash. I waited one month for all my automatic payments to clear and I closed all my checking, savings and IRA accounts. Please stay away from this bank, NOTHING ABOUT ANY OF YOU CONCERNS THEM. NOW I KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO DEAL WITH MAFIA.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have a Bank of America visa card and I used it from time to time where they did not take Discover. I had put my card on an automatic payment and the entire balance was paid automatical so very seldom I opened my statements, I lost my card and asked for a new card not knowing that the automatic payment was no longer active. As a result I had one missed payment, even though I made the payment as soon as I found out the bank reported that to credit bureau and reduced my credit score from 812 to 726. I called the bank and explained what happened but they refused to do anything about it. I am not using their card anymore and I don't recommend them to anyone. My advice is to use your local bank and deal with people who know you not with those who are heartless and act like robots.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I have had many credit cards issued by many banks. Nothing comes close to being as crappy as Bank of America's purchase "protection". There is almost no circumstance that is covered under their third-party issued "insurance" program. I can say from personal experience that this bank's "purchase protection" is a misnomer and totally sucks compared to other banks. Do business elsewhere. Anywhere else. But not with B of A.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Horrific! B of A is equivalent to dealing with mafia. Their consumer financial and credit practices are by far the most crooked bank I’ve dealt with in business. Stay Clear, they will destroy your personal credit rating by using your social security number guaranteeing a credit card for business purposes and will report to all reporting bureaus.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Updated on 11/18/2018: After BofA declined my credit card (I have excellent credit) for stating that I had been assigned to credit counseling (which I have not and never have): I wrote a letter to the President. Instead of fixing the problem and writing me an answer, I was just assigned back to the credit card department and given another chance to apply. I missed the phone call; so I called back. Waited 20 minutes for the one or two employees whose job it is to answer the phone. By that time I was so unhappy I just told them "no thanks"; I do not want to reapply. If BofA had any type of customer service, they would have solved the problem upon receipt of my letter and sent a letter of reply. But---oh no, the customer service handbook has never been written, or if it has; it is not being used.

Original Review: When I looked at BofA's website, I noticed that they laid off about 200,000 employees. I am certain they turned all the customer relations work over to computers. My credit score is excellent with 100% bills paid on time. I applied for a credit card and was refused because it said I had enrolled in credit counseling which I do not even know how to do. All the BofA credit card complaints I read, must have been just issued by a computer with no human ever fact checking. That is why the bank appears to be such a dehumanizing organization. It is true; they must not care about their customers or they would employ a human or two to check out their customer communications.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Tried to cancel a card I got when I was first starting out with credit and never ended up using. I called multiple phone numbers from their website and never got an answer after waiting more than 30 minutes. I tried going online to my account to do it - they don’t let you cancel online. I tried downloading their app so I could do it from there. No luck there. Their chat feature is “not available for this product.” There is no email address given. Their nearest physical location is now more than 100 miles away from me in the next state. I finally found an address and I am writing to cancel my card. I am furious that they have wasted so much of my time and are essentially not letting me leave their business.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Bank of America just reduced the credit on 2 of my credit cards by $20000 with no notice 2 months before my wedding. Called customer service who agreed I was a loyal customer for years. Always made payments on time and that it must have something to do with my credit report but couldn't tell me what. Lovely. Do not get a BoA account... Ever. They'll blindside you and they don't care about customers at all. Thanks for the 45 minute wait.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

So disappointing. After being a credit card customer for years (and my wife and I have our checking accounts with Bank of America, too) they just played a big one on us. We just finished paying our credit card balance a couple of days ago and in two days after that they reduced the credit limit from $12,800 to $500. I simply feel betrayed. A very unhappy Bank of America customer. I believed it had to be a mistake so I called customer service and they don’t know to tell me the reasons coming up with standard answers. Very subjective customer service and really impertinent to the situation and speaking in third person about the bank “the bank reserves the right” and “they sent you a letter about this but I don’t know when it will reach you.” (Literally that is what G. from West Virginia told me over the phone.)

Customer service doesn’t have a real answer to my situation nor power to do anything about it and they seem so detached from the business... It feels like another Wells Fargo waiting to happen… The bank has all the rights to my money and no consideration to me the customer. Just disappointing. I am a very unhappy Bank of America customer. I will close all our accounts with Bank of America. Such a disappointment.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have a Bank of America credit card set on autopay, I chose the option to pay the amount due thinking that would cover the full amount, as it is usual for all accounts. Bank of America did not warn me that option was not the full one and I would incur interest, they then proceeded to charge me interest and would not refund me the interest because it was supposedly my error and not the bank's error! Be aware of a sketchy company with poor wording and terrible customer service.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Bank of America's Fraud Department has locked my card at maybe 6 times in my few years of using BofA. They have inconvenienced me with this largely, as I have to sit on hold for up to an hour just to ask them to unlock the card. They lock it for buying things I commonly buy. Nintendo started accepting pre-orders for their new game system and I missed the window several times because my card was locked when trying to buy a video game system. I buy video games frequently. However they didn't catch the time that someone bought Tacos at a place over 100 miles away from me, in a city I've never visited. The fraud department is useless at best, and an inconvenience at worst.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Tried to call Bank of America for the past 4 days to report that my credit card was lost. I NEVER was able to report this. I had 3 hour plus wait times each day and never was able to close this card as of yet! I was able to quickly cancel cards for First National Bank, Northwest Savings Bank, Gap, Peebles, Boscov's, but NOT Bank of America. I am now trying to CLOSE this account because of their HORRIBLE customer service! This is inexcusable. I cannot get in touch with a human to close this account and must now write a letter to do so. I cannot believe it is this difficult to report a lost or stolen card. DO NOT BANK WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I was on a cruise, which I notified Bank of America, they still blocked my credit card, I had to call into the fraud department to verify charges and they unlocked my card. Last day I get into port, Bank of America took out $1517.11 out of my checking account and applied to my $757.45 credit card balance which left me with an overpayment that I never authorized. Call into customer service and they apologized for the error, reversed the charge, but I still had an overdrawn checking for 19 days, they reversed 2 of the 9 NSF fees and said oh well on the others. I've been with Bank of America 14 years, I'll never bank with them again.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I am calling Bank of America Credit Card telephone line and I have been kept on hold for over 35 minutes. My question is not that difficult for them to answer but I guess they understaff to save money. This is not customer-focused service.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have had a number of unsatisfactory experiences with Bank of America. I called about an inquiry of a balance transfer and they took that opportunity to lower my credit limit, even though I had the same credit limit since 2007. While paying my card, they had a lapse in their system and charged me late fees on a balance I had already paid. They refused any effort to consolidate funds. It has been increasingly difficult to work with this company and I don't recommend them in the future.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Bank of America attempted to withdraw from my checking account 2 identical payments, only one of which had I authorized. I called to ask that the Bank correct its error and reimburse me for the costs that it caused me to incur: a $29 insufficient funds fee assessed by my financial institution and the $27 returned check fee assessed by the Bank. The Bank’s agents passed me from one person to another -- 5 altogether -- over a period of 2 hrs, 11 min. The last one informed me that I needed to speak with an agent "payment error inquiries." Each time I was passed, I had to start from scratch, including asking my wife, the cardholder, to authorize the agent to speak to me. No agent passed on critical information or explained that my wife had already given her authorization. The last agent, a supervisor, repeatedly spoke over me; he could not have been less helpful nor more bureaucratic. The problem remains unresolved.

Bank of America expert review by Beverly Harzog

Bank of America is one of the largest financial institutions in the country. It’s a global leader in wealth management, corporate and investment banking and more. Bank of America is very convenient because it offers 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs. The bank has 32 million online banking users and 19 million mobile users. It has been working with customers for more than 200 years.

• Cash rewards: Bank of America offers several cash back credit cards with good rewards, including one for students.

• Secured credit card: If used responsibly for 12 months, it’s possible to graduate to an unsecured credit card with Bank of America. The 20.49 percent APR is a little high, but it’s not an issue if the bill is paid off every month.

• Credit card for paying down balances: The BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards credit card lets you earn $25 per quarter when you pay more than the minimum amount due, up to $100 per year.

• Zero percent introductory offers: Several cards have these offers for purchases and balance transfers. Read the terms and conditions carefully so you know when the promotion ends.

• Sign-up bonuses: Many of Bank of America's credit cards offer generous sign-up bonuses if you meet the spending requirements within the time requirement.

• Well-designed, user-friendly website: The bank has made it easy to view the rates, fees and rewards for their cards. This makes it easier to understand and choose the card that’s best for you.

• Reputation: Bank of America is a trusted name in the credit card industry.

• Convenience: It has branches all over the world that are easy to access.

• Best for: Consumers who are looking for either travel or cash back credit cards. Also, those who carry a balance and want incentive to pay down their balances.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Bank of America Credit Cards Company Information