Disclosures
Bank of America Credit Cards

Bank of America Credit Cards

4.0/5 (530 ratings)

About Bank of America Credit Cards

Bank of America (NMLS #399802) offers mortgage loans nationwide and has lending specialists available both online and at branch locations. If you’re searching for a mortgage loan, loan refinancing or a home equity line of credit, visit Bank of America’s website to apply.

Bank of America Credit Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2023

This ruined my credit and it dropped almost 150 points. I can't get a home loan and my wife is going to leave me. My credit card account is set up on auto pay and your autopay system malfunctioned. For some reason, the account stopped auto-paying my credit card. I have had all of my credit cards auto-paying with you guys for years. I have the same bank account hooked up to 3 other credit card companies with 0 issues. All of these accounts are set up on autopsy. They don't return my calls and are very rude when I call.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2022

I'm have Bank of America reward cash credit card. I'm didn't use the card over one year. Bank of America close my card account and lose all my cash reward around $6,000. I'm see this is not fair, BAD.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

Bank of America cancelled my payment and sold my credit card to First National Bank of Omaha. This new bank added hundreds of dollars in late fees and put my account into collection only 9 days after my original payment was due. My payment was "late" because BofA cancelled it! First National Bank of Omaha is extorting me for money I do not owe...this is a scam...do not trust either bank. If you have rewards use them up and close your accounts!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2022

Complaint against Bank of America **. I opened an account on October 19th informing me that my credit card was on the way. I then received a confirmation email on the November 4th informing me that my balance transfer request was approved and that the transfer would take place between 2-4 business days. I received an additional email to inform me that my balance transfer was processed on November 7th falsely informing me that my balance transfer would be completed in 2-4 business days.

I have since made numerous phone calls to a variety of phone numbers that have been proven to be incorrect numbers. These numbers were called on November 14th. Over the course of this time period I have made 4 separate phone calls as evidenced by receiving 4 different verification codes via text message (one for each phone call).

I spoke with Cianna first who asked for the following in order to get into my account:
    -social security number
    -date that my account was opened
    -cell phone number
    -corporate association (via multiple choice)
    -property address (via multiple choice)
    -sibling property address (via multiple choice)
    -vehicle color (via multiple choice)

-I was then asked to hang up and call them back in order to verify the account

I then spoke with Christine who instructed me to provide:
    -phone number
    -authorization code
    -instructed to contact my original debt holder to make sure they could accept an electronic transfer

-claimed that my original debt holder does not accept electronic transfers from other banks. This was proven to be false as my original debt holder provided me with a routing number and an account number for Bank of America to send the funds to.

I then spoke with Ivan who stated that the balance transfer request was sent on the 4th of November and that it would be 2-4 business days for the transfer to be completed. He then claimed that USAA had processed the transfer. This was easily proven to be false upon looking at my USAA account balance and observed that the debt was still present on the account.

I was then told by another Bank of America employee to wait 48 hours while the new balance transfer took place because he put a stop payment to the one I already had out. It’s been over a month at that point and I just want my transfer to go through…like every other bank in the country is able to do…but somehow a bank that’s one of the largest in the United States is unable to do.

On November 22nd I spoke with Matthew who then placed me on hold before transferring me to a balance transfer specialist. I then spoke with Shamara who stated:
    -that the balance transfer had been completed (Incorrect. According to USAA account balance that was checked after she made this statement.)

-She then inexplicably attempted to process my balance transfer as a cash advance.

I then spoke with Greyson who stated:
    -that she changed the cash advance into a balance transfer

-told me that it would take another 2-4 business days for the transfer to go through

Between all of these phone calls I was placed on hold for over 2 hours over the course of the 6 phone calls that were made. 11/25 spoke with Alicia. 11 minutes

-check arriving by the 8th

11/26 spoke with Brooke 29:42
    -funds released on Wednesday
    -2 errors cancelled

-should be completed by the 8th

11/28 spoke with Peijay
    -stated that they couldn’t verify my account with the phone number that was on file
    -this number worked the other 6 times I called
    -had me hang up and call back
    -sent out the check 4 times

-L2894253 tracking number sent out the 22nd

11/28 Spoke with Raven

-stated that the check will arrive on the 3rd latest by the 8th

I feel like I am being deceived as the service that they advertised and approved me to receive a balance transfer of $4,260. 11/28 Contacted Betty ** Resolution Specialist, Regulatory Complaints, Bank of America, Phone: 877.430.1431, ext. **, C**
    -left message on voicemail
    -2nd phone call, no answer
    -called back and stated that she would do “research” on the issue

-stated that the timeframe for resolving this issue would be 15-30 days

USAA Response
    -spoke with Laquana **
    11/28 spoke with Mike Chandler A7
    11/28 Vanessa 17 minutes
    -stated that check wasn’t received
    -on hold for 20 minutes after

-spoke with Scott 24 min hold

1-877-ASKFDIC (877-275-3342); Option 2

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

I was a customer for 15 yrs. Always paid bills on time. Once or twice late. One or twice carried balance over. Redeemed my reward points. 15 days later on Halloween go figure. They canceled my accts. When I called given no info. Rec'd letters saying it was a business decision. They claimed I was too high risk. So I guess if you have excellent credit, pay bills, receive rewards, you are a risk so if you're a dead beat get their credit cards. If you have good credit stay away. They are doing something must be illegal. They sure are run by fools. No answer and won't correct their mistakes.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2022

First of all, they will only talk to primary cardholder who isn't available during banking hours and wait on hold forever for nothing. They gave super low limit after being preapproved! They put a fraud alert on card even though they were told during the phone call they wouldn't accept that charges were legit. Will cancel card soon and replace. At least I could understand the rep. Do not recommend.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I paid credit card balance in full on 9/23/22. Using the app and logged in, I made an error of paying $20888.11 instead of$2088.11. I canceled the payment immediately and proceed with paying the correct balance of $2088.11. The next day, checking my bank account, both sums were taken off my bank. Called BOA, to find out they put a hold on my $20888.11 for 10 business days and will not refund my funds to my bank until 10/5/22. Now I must get loan from my bank to meet payroll and other business obligations. How can they take money for payment that exceeds the balance? Why does it take 10 days to return money that they took in seconds? It looks like theft and I there was no one at BOA to help. Terrible!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

Was a three year customer with BOA. WAS NEVER LATE WITH PAYMENT; Last month I was traveling extensively and was late a few days for payment. They flat out refused to reimburse a $29 later fee as a one time courtesy. I closed my account as a result, not that they care; Don't waste your time or money with this stingy ridiculous bank.

Original review: June 27, 2022

I don't miss payments and my credit score is valuable to me due to my business. There was a card I don't use that had a charge come through for $25 while I was in the middle of moving and changing my address and bank. I went online and quickly changed all of my information. They decided to not allow the auto pay transfer and allowed the charge of $25 accrue interest. They never contacted me which I thought was strange. I didn't know there was a payment not going through and they let it run out over 180 days then charged off my account.

I pulled my credit report because I saw my score drop. Found out this happened and called them to make it right. I paid the $80 that I owed them but they still couldn't remove the charge off or help me understand why they never called me as a courtesy. She said to me that they don't have to call their clients as a courtesy and that I should have received a statement in the mail. Unbelievable! Customer service is NOT a part of Bank of America, that's for sure!

Original review: June 20, 2022

I closed this account with zero balance and due to a clerical error in which an employee had to refund me $200 she took $200 from a close credit card and put it in my bank account without me knowing it. Now two month later I get a letter from Bank of America $294.96. I have explained to the credit card manager who says Felix ** that I requested $200 from a closed account to put in my bank account. That is obvious a human error on the bank or their credit card employee. I find that this credit card Word Elite Mastercard by Bank of America is risking the customer credit history with these kinds of mistakes and employee. When you call to complain they just tell you that you owe the ridiculous amount of money when you believed you closed the account with zero balance. It cost them with me at least my business because I closed all my accounts with Bank of America. It is really a shame this way they have to conduct business.

Bank of America author review by Danni White

Bank of America is one of the largest financial institutions in the country. It’s a global leader in wealth management, corporate and investment banking and more. Bank of America is very convenient because it offers 4,700 financial centers and 16,000 ATMs. The bank has 32 million online banking users and 19 million mobile users. It has been working with customers for more than 200 years.

• Cash rewards: Bank of America offers several cash back credit cards with good rewards, including one for students.

• Secured credit card: If used responsibly for 12 months, it’s possible to graduate to an unsecured credit card with Bank of America. The 20.49 percent APR is a little high, but it’s not an issue if the bill is paid off every month.

• Credit card for paying down balances: The BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards credit card lets you earn $25 per quarter when you pay more than the minimum amount due, up to $100 per year.

• Zero percent introductory offers: Several cards have these offers for purchases and balance transfers. Read the terms and conditions carefully so you know when the promotion ends.

• Sign-up bonuses: Many of Bank of America's credit cards offer generous sign-up bonuses if you meet the spending requirements within the time requirement.

• Well-designed, user-friendly website: The bank has made it easy to view the rates, fees and rewards for their cards. This makes it easier to understand and choose the card that’s best for you.

• Reputation: Bank of America is a trusted name in the credit card industry.

• Convenience: It has branches all over the world that are easy to access.

by Danni White ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Danni White is committed to providing valuable resources designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions. Danni specializes in content strategy and development, with over a decade of professional writing and research experience.

Bank of America Credit Cards Company Information