2. Gold IRA Companies
Accredited Partner

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.08/5

Augusta Precious Metals in an award-winning company that stays with customers through the life of their physical gold and silver portfolios. The company is a leader in the retirement community and advocates for the importance of adding physical gold and silver to retirement portfolios.

Augusta Precious Metals is committed to total transparency, simplicity and lifetime service to customers and their customized metals portfolios. The company’s customers enjoy the benefit of specialized departments and a streamlined process that results in cost savings passed to customers through lower prices. The company's corporate ambassador is Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana. The Augusta analytics team is available to anyone in the U.S. interested in exploring gold and silver as a protective portfolio asset.

BOTTOM LINE

Augusta Precious has a high level of experience and knowledge. Customers have an assigned personal agent. Augusta specializes in silver and gold IRAs.

PROS

• Lifetime customer support
  • Streamlined approach
  • Competitive pricing

CONS

• No online orders
Augusta Precious Metals Learn More

Gold and other precious metal IRAs are an investment and carry risk. Consumers should be alert to claims that customers can make a lot of money in these or any investment with little risk. As with any investment, you can lose money and past performance is not a guarantee of future performance results. Consumers should also obtain a clear understanding of the fees associated with any investment before agreeing to invest.

About Augusta Precious Metals

Augusta Precious Metals works with customers to set up silver and gold self-directed IRAs and send IRS-approved metals to secure depositories. The company helps educate people who desire information before deciding to fund a gold IRA and provides robust information on its website. Its online resources include current market news, videos led by a Harvard analytics program member and a required minimum distribution (RMD) calculator. The company also offers free one-on-one webinars with its in-house economic analysts.

The company partners with the Royal Canadian Mint to introduce the American public to purer coins at lower prices than many other mints. The company is tech-savvy and has an online chat option.

Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana is the company’s corporate ambassador — his financial advisors vetted all the gold companies in the U.S., and they chose Augusta because of its streamlined, organized approach and reputation for integrity and compliance.

Augusta donates a portion of its net proceeds to K9s for Warriors.

Augusta Precious Metals cost

Setup of a gold IRA account through Augusta Precious Metals costs $50. Customers also pay two annual fees: an $80 custodian maintenance fee and a $100 storage fee at the depository, but qualified customers can have their fees paid for a lifetime. Shipping and transit insurance is free for qualifying orders.

The cost of coins and bullion depends on current gold and silver spot prices and market rates for premium coins. Augusta is transparent about its markup and prices, which is essential information when comparing with other companies. It has a price-match guarantee. In 2019, the company only had to price match two times.

Augusta Precious Metals' markup is:

• Gold bullion coins: about 5% over cost, which includes free shipping and free insurance
  • Silver bullion coins: about 5% over cost, which includes free shipping and free insurance

Augusta Precious Metals gold and silver IRAs

Augusta has specialized departments with highly competent agents and personnel who streamline and organize the process unlike any other firm. Customers work directly with a personal agent, an economic analytics team led by a member of the Harvard Business Analytics Program, the IRA processing team and the order desk.

The Augusta Precious Metals' approach emulates automobile assembly line systems. The resulting effectiveness and efficiency produce cost benefits Augusta passes along to customers.

The three steps to opening a gold or silver IRA with Augusta Precious Metals are:

1. Open an IRA account: Augusta Precious Metals partners with one of the industry’s most reputable, most efficient gold IRA custodians, with preferred Augusta pricing.
  2. Fund the account: If you have an existing 401(k), IRA or other retirement accounts, you can roll over funds from those accounts.
  3. Buy gold or silver: You purchase precious metals for your IRA. Augusta sends your gold and/or silver to the Delaware Depository or another secure location in one of several cities around the country.

Augusta Precious Metals FAQ

Where will Augusta Precious Metals store my gold?
Augusta Precious Metals partners with depositories in California, Delaware, Idaho, Massachusetts, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Ontario and Utah to store your gold and other precious metals. The company’s preferred depository is located in Delaware.
How much does it cost to open a gold IRA with Augusta Precious Metals?
Other than the purchase of the precious metals themselves to fund your gold or silver IRA, it costs $50 to set up your account with Augusta. You can talk to a representative about getting annual custodian and depository fees paid for a lifetime.
Can I see my gold and silver in person?
Yes, you can make an appointment to travel to the depository and see your precious metals in person.
What precious metals can I include in my IRA?
Augusta Precious Metals offers gold and silver coins and bullion as well as premium coins.

Do we recommend Augusta Precious Metals?

Augusta Precious Metals is a great choice for first-time gold IRA buyers because the company provides substantial free online resources to help you make sense of the process. Augusta’s gold and silver offerings are straightforward, and the company’s online tools, including chat, calculators and price tracking, are helpful. Experienced gold IRA owners appreciate the company’s commitment to bulk purchases, price advantages and lifetime customer service. The company states it is a relationship company, not a transactional company, so buyers looking to purchase small batches of coins and bullion may want to look elsewhere.

Augusta Precious Metals Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Augusta Precious Metals?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Augusta Precious Metals?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

Augusta has been great. I've had nothing but great experience with them. I called four different places and Augusta was the only one that called me back. We bought some silver. I closed out my 401k and put it all in silver. I've been happier now with it, especially the way the market's going up. I've made a lot of money. I had really good interactions with Ron. Anytime I had a problem, I'd give him a call. He'd take care of it right away. I've made an extra $20,000 to $30,000 sitting in there from where I bought it to now. I also received a couple of coins as I did some stuff with one of their people. I'm very highly pleased with my experience all the way around.

Get buying tips about Gold IRA Companies delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

Silver Eagles are what I was interested in at first and Augusta Precious Metals didn't have any at the time. I ended up getting some Canadian coins that were silver and the representative was personable and polite. I'm retired and I took some money out of my 401 to roll it over into that. It was a step-by-step process all over the phone and it was easy. They also had a guy come out here and I did like a commercial for them on camera. It didn't amount to anything though. They got a lot of people that they wanted to have an interview with on camera and they didn't use mine.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I've worked with more than one gold company or IRA people and Augusta does more with specific coins. Their collection of coins may have been different than other people and they're one of the ones that also worked with IRA. It's been a year since I've done anything in the golden market, and compared to other things happening, the impact is very low. Am I considering buying gold or silver again? Yes, but I would be looking at it more from buying gold bars or silver bars, and not looking into coin collection. I haven't learned enough or I don't feel like taking the energy to learn enough about coins.

A lot of people that are my age collect coins, and they're very knowledgeable. I have people that could give me information if that was the route that I wanted to go, but so far, I haven't had that bent. Still, the Augusta representatives were knowledgeable and personable and I didn’t feel like I didn't wanna ever talk to those people again. I only carry forward people that I might want to stay in touch with and they are definitely on my shortlist. They were one of the three that I kept some information on and I’d talk to them again.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

We were interested in purchasing silver. I did an internet search and Augusta was rated number one as far as the Google search that I did. Everything went well over the course as we've owned it. There was a little bit of uncertainty on how the spot price worked and how the face value of the coins worked. There was some confusion there in the beginning. Since we're new silver buyers, that threw us off there a little bit, but with their help, they sorted everything out and we got some really good contact now. We just called them today and they gave us updates. They did a good job. It's really nice now. The silver is going up, so that's good.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

They keep and store silver and gold for you. They're very friendly and they reach out. If you have any questions, they get back to you. They actually visited their offices in California and they store their gold in a vault on the East Coast, and it seems like the way to go. Also, they're very knowledgeable and they don't try and sell you. Silver and gold has been going up but it's a spot price, and then there's a tax advantage to the way that they record keep it. Their lead analyst, Dylan, is very compelling and convincing and is not afraid to say how he feels and they're not afraid to show off their operation. They step up and no question is stupid, even if you ask it over and over like I sometimes do. So I'm very satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

We had a couple of issues with shipments. At one point, something got lost. It took us almost a month to figure out what happened. So at least the tracking of the shipment and getting stuff on time could be improved. But their setup rate was at a good price. They leave a message and they do get back to you within a day or so, if not right away.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

They were well rated with the Better Business Bureau and they sounded like they had some good consumer ratings. I ended up buying quite a bit through them. I had worked with Bruce, who since had left the company and has passed away. I worked with him pretty much exclusively on purchases. I was really looking to buy Gold Eagles but Bruce talked me into buying the British Sovereigns and I don't think they've turned out to be a very good investment or purchase. The premiums were very high. It does look like I'm gonna get back out of them what I should, but I would’ve from another purchase.

I'm in contact with Augusta and I'm in the process now of selling some metals back to them. I'm waiting to hear from them. I sent them some gold coins to sell and they said the price I was gonna get was different than what I was guaranteed or at least they said they were gonna give me. They said they would look into it and then get back to me. It's been about three days now.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

From the person that I dealt with a year ago, I learned that Augusta sells coins that they are the only issue of them and they are the only ones that can value them and put some value on them based on their rareness. I found him because I had his phone number privately. Last year, I bought Canadian pieces and I called Augusta Precious Metals for a portfolio review. I'm concerned about the value of my portfolio based on what Gold Star (the house that holds the coins in the IRA form) told me and Augusta never called me back, so that speaks for itself in a way.

I was not happy with the fact that after I bought the pieces, Gold Star told me its worth was 2,000 when I spent 10,000. They explained that that's the melt value as opposed to the value of the rareness of the coin. It has a higher value based on that. Buyer beware. Make sure you know what you're getting into and don't be surprised that you'll hear from other people and the other houses or places that your coin value is less than you paid for it. The only people that are going to buy it back are Augusta because they're the ones that created the coin, issued it and caused for it to be struck.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I was looking at the option of gold and silver. Augusta had a thing where they would call and tell me about it and they were really good, professional, knowledgeable, and friendly. They're very nice to work with and I would definitely recommend them. I gave them a 5 on my other reviews too.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

I wanted to buy gold and silver. I went on the internet and I Googled the top 10 gold providers and Augusta was one of the top 10. Their process has been absolutely awesome. Lorne was great. He and I have been talking pretty much every other day. I like their openness and transparency. I highly recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

At the time we invested with Augusta, I was very concerned about diversification. I felt there was a great deal of risk in the economy and I wanted to have a cushion. I had checked on another company prior, and I had seen some information about Augusta on the internet. They looked more reliable. The rep I worked with was very personable, very knowledgeable and very attentive. I got a lot of individual treatment, which was very reassuring to me.

We had some issues though. This was a precious metals IRA and it requires storage in a safety deposit box. I already had a large investment in precious metals in a depository, so it was complex. I had to cash that in and then repurchase metals from Augusta, which would be stored in a safety deposit box. Apparently, they had not dealt with anybody in Louisiana before, and I had a lot of problems getting a safety deposit box. We had to have an LLC, which Augusta helped us set up, and it was out of state. The banks in Louisiana would not issue a safety deposit box to an out-of-state LLC, so it took me quite a while.

Then someone else worked with me. We eventually got it straight and got that LLC closed and one opened in Louisiana, and then I got my safety deposit box and got my metals, and everything was set up. I haven't had a lot of interaction with them since, but I was on the advisory board of Augusta for a while. The lady that was communicating with me was very nice. She asked us to give her opinions on different advertising. That went on for about nine months.

The biggest problem I've had is every year, Kingdom Trust is asking for a valuation, and I have no clue as to how to value the metals I have. From what I understand, there are coins that have an intrinsic value of their own versus just a silver bar or a gold bar. I have no clue how to value the IRA, so I've yet to fill that form out and send it to Kingdom Trust. They ask for it every year. Supposedly, it's an IRA requirement. But I'm a little disappointed that I haven't been assisted with that process and I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

I was looking to invest in precious metals. I was looking at my portfolio and decided that I needed to be less than the stock market and more in other investments. I like the price of Augusta. They were professional and were able to answer my questions. Working with Augusta has made me feel a little better since I was able to purchase some metals from them. It's gone down a little bit on the precious metal side, but I’m in it for the long haul.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

Their marketing was good, and also they were positioned properly in the market and were able to do what I needed them to do. Everybody's happy with themselves like a bunch of doctors. They do a surgery and everything comes out just fine, whether it does or not. Everybody's saying everything's good. So far, they've been forthright and honest, so that's good.

Augusta Precious Metals Company Information