4.9/5 (36 ratings)

Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Augusta Precious Metals

Augusta Precious Metals is a gold and silver dealer offering both cash purchases and precious metal IRAs. You can choose from several depositories to store your precious metals, and it has multiple custodian options too. Augusta provides lifetime customer support for your gold and silver investments.

Find Gold IRA Companies partners near you

Pros

• Lifetime customer support
    • Three custodian options
    • Transparent purchase information

Cons

• No online orders
    • $50,000 minimum for orders

Bottom Line

Augusta Precious Metals can help you buy gold and silver for home shipment or to use in an IRA. Its custodian and storage options help it stand out, but its order minimum can make investing difficult.

Top Augusta Precious Metals Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Augusta provided a professional, objective and honest presentation of their services, processes and relationships with the industry and related companies. It was informative, and ...

Verified

Great company to work with! Very educational in the beginning learning the in’s and out’s of a Gold and Silver IRA. They made it very easy withdrawing money from my 401K and initi...

Take a Quiz

Get matched with a Gold IRA Authorized Partner

Find my match

Gold and other precious metal IRAs are an investment and carry risk. Consumers should be alert to claims that customers can make a lot of money in these or any investment with little risk. As with any investment, you can lose money and past performance is not a guarantee of future performance results. Consumers should also obtain a clear understanding of the fees associated with any investment before agreeing to invest.

About Augusta Precious Metals

Augusta Precious Metals can help you set up a self-directed IRA and send IRS-approved precious metals to secure depositories, but it also offers cash purchases if you want home delivery.

The company provides educational information for investors on its website, including market news, videos and a required minimum distribution (RMD) calculator. The company also offers a free webinar for potential investors who have saved $100,000 or more.

Augusta also donates a portion of its net proceeds to K9s for Warriors.

Augusta Precious Metals gold and silver IRAs

Setting up a self-directed IRA with Augusta Precious Metals lets you invest in gold, silver and other precious metals in a tax-advantaged way for retirement. There are three steps to opening a gold or silver IRA with Augusta Precious Metals:

1. Open an IRA: Augusta Precious Metals works with three gold IRA custodians, and it can help you set up your self-directed retirement account. Custodian options include Equity Trust, GoldStar Trust Company and Kingdom Trust.
    2. Fund the account: If you have an existing 401(k), IRA or another retirement account, you can roll over funds from those accounts into your new self-directed IRA.
    3. Buy gold or silver: You can then purchase precious metals for your IRA. Augusta sends your gold or silver to the Delaware Depository or another secure location in one of several cities around the country.

Augusta has a $50,000 minimum for orders, so you’ll need at least that much to start investing.

Augusta Precious Metals cost

There are no management fees with a self-directed Augusta IRA, but you’ll pay custodian and storage fees. Augusta says its custodians charge $280 for the first year and $180 each year after that.

The cost of the actual gold and silver you can buy varies based on current gold and silver spot prices and market rates for premium coins. However, Augusta is transparent about its ask-to-bid differential on purchases, fees and transaction statuses.

Augusta Precious Metals FAQ

Where will Augusta Precious Metals store my gold?
    Augusta Precious Metals partners with depositories in:
    • North Dakota
    • Ohio
    • Ontario
    • Utah

The company’s preferred depository is located in Delaware, though, and there’s some conflicting information about its depository options on its website.

How much does it cost to open a gold IRA with Augusta Precious Metals?
    Other than the purchase prices of the precious metals themselves, you’ll pay custodian and storage fees for the first year of your IRA. Custodian fees for your first year cost $280.
    Can I see my gold and silver in person?
    It depends on the depository. You can try to make an appointment to travel to the depository and see your precious metals in person, but the depository may not let visitors in.
    What precious metals can I include in my IRA?
    Augusta Precious Metals offers IRA-eligible coins in gold and silver.
    Where is Augusta Precious Metals located?
    Augusta’s corporate headquarters is in Casper, Wyoming, but it has a satellite office in Beverly Hills, California.

Do we recommend Augusta Precious Metals?

Augusta Precious Metals is a viable option if you’re interested in opening a gold IRA, and it offers free resources to help you make sense of the process. Experienced gold IRA owners might also appreciate the company’s bulk purchase discounts and lifetime customer service. It’s helpful that Augusta discloses its order minimum, but having to spend at least $50,000 on each order can be difficult for many investors.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Augusta Precious Metals?

Original review: June 22, 2022

Everyone we spoke to at Augusta Precious Metals was very informative, patient, and understanding of our questions and concerns. They even set us an appointment with their director of education for any additional questions and a comprehensive review of what we covered today during our web conference. I find it incredibly refreshing not to be pressured, and to even have a company recognize that the sheer amount of information may require a revisit, just so you can hear it all again and readdress any questions that may arise in the interim. Thank you APM, and thank you Lauran ** for your guidance and commitment to our pleasurable experience. We look forward to being customers for life. Respectfully, Michael & Morgan **.

Augusta Precious Metals response
    Hi, Michael. I'm happy to hear we were able to provide the information you needed before opening an account. That is exactly why we have set up our team to be in a position to take questions and patiently get you answers you need if we can. We will be here working with you for the duration -- the entire lifetime of your account.

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Original review: March 28, 2022

The customer service was superb, they explained each part of the process and showed me what was required to set up an IRA account to hold the gold/silver coins. However, the price of the gold/silver coins was quite high compared to the price of gold/silver quoted in the Wall Street Journal.

Augusta Precious Metals response
    Hi, Tom. It was our pleasure to serve as your source of information and assistance with these products. The sale price is always higher than "spot" -- is that what you are referring to? Prices also vary from day to day. Please let us know if you'd like to discuss! I can tell you that we know Augusta's bullion prices are competitive. We appreciate your time and will always be here to help for your account lifetime.

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Get buying tips about Gold IRA Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

Augusta Precious Metal agent Kevin Martin put together a very informative presentation of IRA Gold and Silver investments. He coordinated a presentation by Devlyn ** which provided details from an economy perspective. I was impressed with the information which was presented. This information provided me with the information that I need to determine if investing in precious is right for my portfolio. They graciously answered all my questions.

Augusta Precious Metals response
      Hi, Jack: Thanks very much for taking time to let the world know about your positive experience with Kevin and the team. It was our pleasure to help you get informed about the economy and the buying process. Don't forget that the same team of professionals will be available all through the life of your account with us.

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

From the initial call to the set up process to the purchase of gold and silver, Augusta Precious Metals has a developed a user friendly and transparent process. I had already made up my mind that gold and silver would be an important component of my overall investment strategy and the wonderful people at Augusta were there every step of the way for account setup, IRA transfer and explaining the many nuances of investing in gold and silver. The personal follow up has been tremendous. I would definitely recommend.

Augusta Precious Metals response
      Thank you so much for your kind words, Stephen. It's always gratifying to this team to help retirement investors such as yourself put these assets in place to protect your future. It was our pleasure to assist, and as you know by now we will be there for the entire lifetime of your account to help as we can.

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

I was visiting Augusta Precious Metal's website and simply clicked a link for them to provide information about their gold and silver IRAs, and within minutes, they called me on the phone to speak to me personally. They had a whole team of people arrayed to provide me with information about gold and silver IRAs, to help me open an account with them, and to get my existing IRA transferred from the previous custodian. I even left on vacation in the middle of the process of establishing a gold/silver IRA with them, and I never experienced the slightest disruption in communication or assistance at all while I was out of town. They made the whole process so easy, and I was extremely impressed with their level of customer service!

Augusta Precious Metals response
      Hi, Loretta. It's very gratifying to read a review like yours. The team works hard to make the process smooth and easy. The great thing is, through the entire life of your account, we promise to provide the same thorough attention to your account needs. Thanks for taking the time to let everyone know what you think of us!

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

This was my first metal purchase. The staff was very nice and helpful with everything. They explained the process and answered all my questions in detail. I was happy with the service that they provided me.

Augusta Precious Metals response
      Hello, Daryl. Thank you so much for taking time to let everyone know your experience with us was positive and helpful. Our goal is to make the process quick, easy, transparent, and easy to understand. We look forward to serving as your personal resource through the lifetime of your account.

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Original review: July 12, 2022

I initiated a precious metals IRA from APM earlier this year. The sign-up process was straightforward and fairly easy to complete. Transferring all the precious metals to the custodian took longer than I expected but was completed recently. Judging from my experience, I would recommend them to other investors.

Augusta Precious Metals response
      Thank you for your comments, Fred. I'm happy your experience with our team was positive. We are sensitive to the need to make the process quick and easy for our customers. Sometimes things beyond our control slow it down, but we will keep pressing ahead to become ever more efficient. Remember we are here to support you through the lifetime of your account — don't hesitate to call on us!

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Original review: May 8, 2022

I was recommended Augusta by a friend. I was interested in learning more about a precious metals IRA. They set up a zoom meeting and I was provided with a very detailed presentation. Afterwards they answered all of my questions. They were very helpful and knowledgeable. I appreciated that they do not pressure you to open an account with their company.

Augusta Precious Metals response
      Sasha, thank you for letting us know your work with our team was helpful. Don't hesitate to check in again at any time. We will be here to help for the entire lifetime of your account.

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Original review: April 20, 2022

Participated in the Augusta Precious Metals webinar. It was very informative with knowledgeable staff. Felt very comfortable being able to ask questions. So far impressed with the company. A bonus was to find out that you get a free silver coin with each review that you do.

Augusta Precious Metals response
      I appreciate your taking the time to write this review, Joe. It's important for people to have this information and it's to your credit that you sought it out. The team is committed to being there for you to make the process easy and quick -- and we stay in touch, serving as your personal resource, throughout the life of your account. We are here to help...

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Original review: March 29, 2022

I have dealt with Augusta in the past. This recent transaction was seamless. They are very patient with questions, and a pleasure to deal with. I wired the funds for a recent transaction. As soon as the funds arrived (that day), I received a verification call, and was asked what I wished to purchase. Prices were competitive. I will continue to deal with Augusta in the future.

Augusta Precious Metals response
      That's an amazing positive report of service from us, Robert, and we very much appreciate it. As you know, we work hard to make sure the process is as quick and easy as possible -- and transparent, so you always know what's happening with your account. Also, as you know, we are available as your personal resource for the entire account lifetime, so be sure to ask if you have other questions any time.

Isaac Nuriani, CEO

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Gold IRA partner.

Augusta Precious Metals Company Information