2. Tax Relief

3.8/5 (42 ratings)

About Anthem Tax Services

Anthem Tax Services was started by licensed tax professionals that have over 30 years of experience in Tax Preparation and Tax Law. Every tax professional is licensed in all 50 states to represent our clients, and as such we are able to provide the tailored experience that you expect from your tax litigation and tax preparation professionals. We also operate remotely so you never need to leave your home or office!

Pros

• Numerous accreditations
  • Transparent results
  • Free consultation
  • Money-back guarantee

Cons

• Limited details on website
  • No upfront pricing

Bottom Line

Anthem Tax Services offers a variety of tax help including resolution, preparation and protection. While details are limited online, Anthem is an accredited firm with a money-back guarantee, helping those with at least $10,000 in tax debt.

Anthem Tax Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem Tax Services?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthem Tax Services?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

I did a Google search, and Anthem popped up near the top and they had good reviews. I called them up and talked to somebody and that was pretty much it. It was good.

Anthem Tax Services response

Thank you for the 5-star review, Mr. Aaron!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

There was a tax bill on a business in the state of Nevada that I never owed and Anthem provided the conversations between the Department of Taxation and their firm. They also did the procuration of an offer in compromise due to our current situation. So, an offer of compromise was accepted recently and we're waiting for the final papers to come through. Initially, I had contacted David and he was a very energetic and strong individual. I liked him. Then, I moved to another lady for a couple of weeks. Then, we moved to Victoria. She was very detailed, careful and was able to get the result and the job done. But it’s always nice to know when someone takes over the account. It changed three times over time and that was a little excessive.

Anthem Tax Services response

Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

Anthem seemed like the best fit for what I needed. I worked with several reps and they were all really well. The one whom I worked with most did a great job. There was so much paperwork during enrollment but it didn't take that long. Settling wasn't the greatest but it wasn't Anthem's fault. The state pulled out an agreement they earlier made just to get us to sign. Still, it worked out and this is better than what I had.

Anthem Tax Services response

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Gabriel!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

I had some years that I had not filed taxes and I needed to get that done. I called Anthem up and said, "Okay. What's going on?" and they were good. I wanted to have that contact all the time, somebody updating you every day or week. I didn't get that at first. But once everything got underway, it went smoothly. And I can still send an email, and they sent information if I needed it. They should improve in the initially explaining to customers exactly their process, what different steps will be, you will get to phase one or phase two, phase three. And not having to inquire yourself, but that should be something that they should give on their own. But they work with you being the mediator between you and the IRS and they see to your advantage or try to as much as they possibly can.

Anthem Tax Services response

Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

Everything was good. The only issue that I had was when I first contacted Anthem, they made it seem like they could have done more for me. At the very end, all they did was put me on a payment plan. That's something I could have done. I didn't get any reduction at all. I ended up paying $3,700 and they gave me a reimbursement which was half of it.

Anthem needs to be a little bit more transparent and upfront when it comes down to what they can and cannot do. They could have asked me more questions and looked at my financial backgrounds before they even took my case and said, "Honestly, there's nothing we could do.” I do have a 401(k) and properties. I have means of paying it back. They do help but they have to be more specific on how they can help you based off of your conditions. On an individual basis, they will need to drill down and see if that person is a good candidate for any kind of help. If it's just going to be a payment plan, then that's something that he can do on his own and not pay the $3,700.

Anthem Tax Services response

Thank you for your feedback, Mr. Enrique. Your experience was also shared with our company so that we can make things right moving forward. We appreciate you!

Resolution response: Feb. 25, 2021

I received an unexpected phone call today from Misty at Anthem Tax Services. It was in response to the low rating and critical survey I gave about my experience. Misty came across as sincere and expressed Anthem's concern about client satisfaction. I was asked to cover the details of that experience. Afterwards, I received an apology in addition to being told a reimbursement would be processed. Completely surprised and very delighted with this gesture, I could not have imagined any contact with Anthem after the service was completed.

Anthem saw the low rating as an opportunity and teachable lesson to get better by correcting mistakes in areas they fell short. I'm won over about Anthem's commitment to excellence... Serving clients in the very best way possible. This was the reason I reached out to Anthem and I will come back if the need ever arises again. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

Initially, my impression of Anthem was good. They were very convincing about their capabilities. I was provided an initial documentation and about four days later, I got a notice that I needed to sign another agreement. When I inquired as to why, I was told that there were some benefits to me that they were going to provide. That was great. I spent the last 25 years of my career in project management doing contracts for multinationals so I am very detailed about language in contracts. When I got the document from Anthem, I went through it and I didn't find any additional benefits. I emailed the Anthem guy back and asked about it. The guy was evasive. He lied and there were no benefits. He then gave me three different excuses as to why I needed to sign.

I started the engagement on September or October 4. The post date he wanted was four days later which was on the 8th or the 9th. That made no sense. But since I was getting benefits, I was okay with it. But there were no benefits. I pressed him and gave up in the end. I told him that if the benefits were not going to be provided, he should be upfront about it. There was an administrative mistake on the start date and I understood that. He finally conceded and said, “We just want to get this done. And it's just a later date that this process starts.” I said it was fine as I didn't want to delay it given the circumstances that my wife and I had.

About a month or two later, I got a notice saying that the IRS was unable to identify my wife and that is usually attributed to a middle name or maiden name. I couldn't imagine why because the documentation I sent was very detailed so there was no misunderstanding about her name. I passed on the information and they thanked me for it. A few weeks later, I was still told that the IRS doesn't recognize my wife. This was very mysterious and I asked what they needed. They said the Social Security numbers so I had the guy call me. I asked what Social Security number they had and he gave me a number. That was incorrect and there was no way I gave them that number. Somebody on their end made a typographical error. I gave him my Social Security number and he went through his records while we were on the phone. He said he got an update and he would send me the document with the corrected information.

The document he sent me was the original document I submitted to them. There was no mistake there. The mistake was in their submission to the IRS. The rep denied it and covered for whoever administratively handled it. I could see through that but I just let it go. I told him that I wanted them to pick up the pace and pay more attention to errors. He indicated at the time that there was a problem with my 2017 filing. I couldn't imagine why because up until 2019, I had no problems with the IRS. I said, “I'll pay closer attention to find out what's going on there.”

As we started moving toward the end, I got an email from the IRS that indicated where we were and what their expectations were. The bottom line is Anthem sent me the document which was with the power of attorney. When I received it, it told me exactly what happened. They screwed up. What the case manager didn't know was that the IRS sent a copy of what they submitted. And I told them that was what had happened. It would have been simple for Anthem to just admit the error but they stuck to their explanation.

I paid Anthem almost $1,000 more than the company I had initially planned to go to. My wife liked the story that Anthem told. But as we went on, I realized it certainly wasn't worth it. And then near the end, my case manager wasn't available for whatever reason. We had an agreement that he going to call me on the second week in January but I didn't hear from him. I sent some emails because I received a notice of liens from the IRS. I left several voicemails and I didn't hear from him.

It just so happens that I had the phone number of the attorney who cut the power of attorney. I gave him a call and he came across as very professional. He offered his opinions and it looked like we could move forward. I was told my case manager had been out ill and I halfheartedly went with that. I didn't need him anyway anymore. But still, there was no reason he could not leave me a message that he could not contact me and give me somebody else I could talk to.

We got to the final step of the process and I needed to file the last form, which was the authorization for a contract with the IRS. It was an agreement for payment with the IRS. When we first talked, I was asked for the account that we wanted the IRS to take the deductions from and I gave the routing number and the account number. The form came back and what stood out like a sore thumb, which my wife saw right off the bat, was a missing digit in the routing number. These people at Anthem don't do a very good job error checking.

In the final analysis, two things that stood out. One was evasiveness. Truthfulness is a problem. The other is errors and omission. I have to put up a $30,000 bond to cover errors and omissions. Anthem might want to consider that with some of its employees because given the number of errors and omissions, they could get burned very badly. In the end, I could have done better. Anthem was overpriced given the service that I got. When you call up Anthem on the web page, they come up as number one in the top five tax relief services. I could be one of the many disgruntled consumers who had a bad experience. If I were to make an organizational change, their case managers would be scrutinized better.

Anthem Tax Services response

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Mr. C. We do apologize for your experience with our firm. We take all comments very seriously and will be investigating the situation further so that we can make things right in the future. Thank you again!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2021

I was extremely messed up with my taxes and was five years behind. I was wondering how I was going to get myself out of my predicament. I saw an ad for Anthem and gave them a call. It took a good couple of conversations with them to realize that you're better off fixing the problem than trying to wait till next year hoping the problem goes away because it doesn’t. I spent a good year back and forth with them, especially with the pandemic where everything’s closed. A year later, everything's just a completely different story. Their people were good and almost felt like they were my friends. With Anthem, all my tax issues were completely solved. In fact, the IRS has been sending me checks. There is only about 2,500 from one of the years then everything is will be done and settled.

Anthem Tax Services response

We appreciate the kind words, Mr. Marc. The team at Anthem Tax Services thanks you for trusting us with your tax needs!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

Two years ago, I found Anthem online. I looked them up and I read their reviews, which were great. It seemed like they were trustworthy. The last two people I worked with, Michael and the female that he was working with, were great. Michael worked hard to do what he could to help me out. He called me back majority of the time ASAP. He was very polite and always professional. I also have to give the girl that was working with him credit because she was on it. Michael was good, but if she could take his place, I would love to work with her 100%.

I filled out papers and faxed my financial information to Anthem and I would like it if things had moved along quicker. It took two years and some of it was my fault, but even at that, it seemed like a long time. I would’ve liked to have been completely done with the IRS too. If I ever came into some money 10 years later, I’ll have to pay them back and to me, it’s like it’s still hanging over my head. I'm not as stressed as I was, but if it could have been resolved completely, then that would have made me happy.

Letters still come in the mail. I got one letter saying I owed $215 which I need to find out why. It might have had something to do with healthcare for one year, which I was gonna call Michael about because I thought everything was taken care of. Other than that, I don't have to make monthly payments. I don't have to worry about if somebody is going to come in and snatch my property up.

Anthem Tax Services response

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Susan!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I went online and I did some research with some other companies that were locally here in Texas where I'm at. I happened to catch Better Business Bureau feedback and consumer feedback but I must have caught some positive feedback and chose Anthem. But they did a poor job for me. It took them over a year and a half to get things taken care of. They were terrible at communicating, returning phone calls or even answering the phone call. In my business, I missed calls too but I make it a point to return my calls. Anthem did about three income taxes for me for three years and I had one company do it for me here locally. My taxes were 5,000 and I thought of sending them to Anthem and see if they could do better. I turned out with a $15,000 bill, which was $10,000 more than what the local person did here in Texas. It was way more taxes than I initially started off with when I started off with Anthem.

There are variables and justifications but they didn't even try to do any kind of tax deductions. I was very disappointed. I went from owing the IRS maybe at the most, $10,000, to owing them $48,000. Anthem probably did the bare minimum they had to do just to collect my fees and settle my account with IRS. The only effort I got from Anthem was to set up a payment plan for me. I could have done that over the phone with IRS. Anthem was supposed to be reducing my tax burden but they increased it. I'm not happy with them and I wouldn't recommend them to anybody.

I didn't go online and make a big deal out of it. I just wanted to end my relationship with them as soon as possible and pay off my tax burden that they built up for me. The way I understand, for me to get any reduction in my taxes, I gotta be not working and not have an income, any assets, anything coming in or very little minimum wage or below poverty limits to get any reductions or be able to reduce my tax burden at all. I got passed around at least a half dozen times with the people that were handling my account. I never knew from month to month or phone call to phone call who was gonna be handling my account until the very end. I just wanted to get the paying over with and it’s not settled. I gotta pay 700 a month for the next six years. So, it's not good.

Anthem Tax Services response

Thank you for providing your feedback and letting us know about this issue, Mr. Alfred. We set a high standard for ourselves and are truly sorry to hear that standard was not met in your interaction with us. Your feedback has been forwarded to our Customer Support team for review.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

Anthem Tax was helpful and they communicated really well.

Anthem Tax Services response

Thank you for the kind words, Jennifer!

Anthem Tax Services Company Information