Formerly GMAC

3.7/5 (1167 ratings)

About Ally Bank

Ally Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?

Original review: May 27, 2021

This is probably the worst company I have ever experienced. Chat support is never available, 800 number is impossible to reach anyone, minimum wait with 800 number is one hour then they will tell you I can't help you and a manager will call you back which they never do. I feel sorry for anyone that uses this company, absolute trash!!!

Original review: May 17, 2021

Terrible customer service, my father paid his account off with Ally on February 20, 2020. He has had auto financing with Ally since December of 2015. The first week of March, he received his title and the lien was released from the vehicle. He did not receive notification that for whatever reason the payment did not go through successfully until the very end of April. Since being financed with Ally Auto, he has never missed a payment, he resides In the same home for over 12 years and has had the same cellphone number for over 20+ years. Whenever we (my father & I) call to rectify this matter, we are explaining the situation to several different CSR (which is very frustrating due to the language barrier) and ask to be transferred to a supervisor. This is ruining his excellent credit!!

I am fully aware of the fact that we (the nation) are experiencing a pandemic but let that not be an excuse for terrible customer service and not promptly returning a customer calls. Today is March 17th and I’ve spoken to two customer service representatives already, the first one transferred me to a supervisor and the call was dropped, the second one transferred me to a supervisor when I was able to leave a message because the supervisor was unavailable, which seems to be common at this company. Someone at Ally Auto Corporate if you are available please give me a call at **. I have been added to his account.

Original review: May 5, 2021

I have a medical loan. My payment is due four days before my payday, so I set up autopayments to come out on payday and paid my first payment early. Unfortunately it was before the billing cycle was out (even though it was my first payment). I am a single mother and they refused to credit it to my upcoming bill, saying that I essentially have to double pay this month because I paid too early. I have never had a financial institution treat me with such callous disregard for circumstances. They refused to move my due date to my payday and would only move my schedule for me to pay three days after payday. I am having to dispute it with my bank in order to try and get a refund, which will not process until after I have to make the next payment.

I will never do business with this bank again. I am going to attempt to refinance my loan and let another bank have my interest payments. I am just floored at the lack of compassion and customer consideration. It would be different if I hadn't already made a payment, but to refuse to take into account the money I already gave them is ridiculous.

Original review: April 23, 2021

Please stay away. Had a loan here. Made payments always in time and before. At 17.5 percent interest I was trying to pay off as quick as I could. Then pandemic hit. I lost a 65000 a year job. Had to take a job making 35000 less. So been making payment but with that much of a income loss $650 a month plus other bills drains your savings. They did allow us to defer payments with extra interest at the end. So we cashed out our 401k yesterday. Today we called. They are willing to accept a repo that’s going to cost them way more instead of working with us over $5000 that they completely got in the first 2 years of interest???‍♀️ Oh well I guess they can come get it and I’ll file bankruptcy so their loss in the end. You have to do better. Pandemic was no fault of mine. The extended shut down cost me my job of 25 years.

Resolution response: April 16, 2021

Edit: I have received an email from Ally Bank with a receipt for the full payoff on my vehicle. So whoever informed me I could NOT pay if off online was wrong.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Purchased a 2017 Buick Encore from a dealership in Kernersville, NC in August of 2018. The dealer got my loan through Ally at a great rate. All has been fine until I moved to Arkansas. I am old school and prefer a statement in the mail, write out my check and mail it in the same day. For some reason, Ally can't seem to get my statement to me on time, usually receive it two days before the payment due date, which means I have to go online and make the payment. Frustrating enough to make me want to pay off the vehicle and be done with them. Tried to call three times and discovered they have outsourced their customer service department to the Philippines, which means you will reach someone who doesn't speak English and will NOT understand you. I asked for someone in the United States, and was transferred to someone in Texas. Yah! Only to be told I CANNOT PAY OFF MY AUTO LOAN WITH THEM ONLINE.

I have to get a cashier's check from my bank and mail it to them. Which means I will end up getting a statement from them for finance charges still owed for the days between when the check was mailed and when they actually deposited it. Amazing for a bank that prides itself for being completely online vs a brick and mortar bank. They will NEVER get my business again.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Refused to honor a statement they made about allowing an emergency use of a debit card I was canceling. "All you have to do is call and we'll let you get gas," etc. Refused three times. I have no money, no gas and a trip to get Covid shot on Tues. that is over 30 miles one way. How does one live for 5-7 days with NO cash?

Original review: April 8, 2021

If you have an Ally account, close it. They didn't have any problems or raise any issues for the past five years while I gave my money to Gemini, but as soon as I get money from Gemini, they have a problem with using it for a mortgage!? I sold cryptocurrency on Gemini and transferred the money to my Ally account. The cash money was in my account for two months, and the cash money in their Bank was the asset I was going to use. Their underwriting team said since the money was sourced from a cryptocurrency exchange, they are unable to use them those funds in my checking/savings account to be put towards the closing costs and/or reserves for the home loan. There was no one I could talk to you and customer service and no one I could raise this as an issue to. I ended up closing my accounts and transferring my money to another bank.

Original review: April 2, 2021

When I returned my lease to Ally with fewer miles than allowed, the recovery department charged me $400 to replace two tires that still had 40,000 miles left on their warranty. According to their office clerk, they sold the car with those "unsafe tires" (which in itself is illegal), the $400 tires should have cost less than $200 (obnoxious price gouging), they could have used a tire warranty had they simply contacted me, and they charged me for tires that they didn't replace simply because they could. I addressed my concerns verbally and in writing, but I was ignored and the money taken from my account without permission. This is why large corporations are creating positions for ethics officers. Amazing that Ally's name can be compromised for a mere $400.

Original review: March 25, 2021

The customer service is beneath contempt. They charge absurd and exorbitant fees that they seem to make up to suit the occasion. If you want to sort it out, expect a forty-five minute wait to talk to a human. If you need to escalate the call to talk to someone who can actually be helpful, expect that person to be busy. Their so-called live help is an internet chatbot you wait half an hour to talk to and spend half an hour further getting nothing done. I suspect this bank was started by a pharmaceutical company looking to create a demand for high blood pressure medication. They are intensely, knowingly frustrating. Get your money away away from them forthwith, whether it is ten million or ten cents. Hide it under a mattress. You'll be better off.

Original review: March 15, 2021

Ally Financial is by far, the most incompetent and frustrating company I have ever dealt with and I am in my early 50's. My son leased a car with them in May 2017, got a few payments extended due to the pandemic in 2020, then was due to turn in the vehicle or purchase it in Dec. 2020. He decided to purchase it due to the excessive overage on miles and he was behind a few payments (his fault because he forgot all about them after he had them deferred). So we contacted Ally, made two back payments so he wouldn't get repossessed, then sent them a cashier's check for over $15,000. That was Jan. 22, 2021. Still waiting for the title almost two months later. Then he just received a letter in the mail last week thanking him for turning in his leased vehicle and that they needed an odometer statement.

They are such a horrible company to communicate with. I make call after call, get put in hold for hours at a time, only to find out that the number I called wasn't the right dept or whatever the excuse so I get transferred and put on hold again. I've requested supervisors to call me back and they never do. I've given up on this company and am currently seeking legal counsel to handle this. Since I sent the $15,000 to them, I have yet to have any acknowledgment that they received it. Then they informed the dealership that we sent the money incorrectly although they were the ones who told us to do so. I feel that we have been robbed of our $15,000 and I'm just curious with this company! Do not do business with Ally Financial! You will regret every minute of it!

Original review: March 10, 2021

I’m an essential worker. I drive from store to store and check to ensure companies aren’t jacking prices or becoming desperate with empty shelves and try to sell expired product. I work 14 hour days. Honestly, I lost track of what day was what. Evidently, auto payment didn’t happen for whatever reason, and I fell behind. Ally offered assistance, so I took it. Three months later I find out they didn’t actually take it. I make a payment and try again. Again I was told I was approved. Today I woke up to find my car was repossessed. The car I need for work in order to pay the bill.

I call and their customer service is very unsupportive. They make it clear they don’t want to be on the phone, they don’t care about my situation, and I’m not their problem. I literally had two people hang up on me, though I remained polite the entire time. They want a couple thousand for me to get my car back. If I had a couple thousand, I wouldn’t be behind! Without my car, I lose my job, which also means I can’t afford to pay their bill. I’ve had several issues with Ally over the years, but this ensures I will never use them again. Do not apply for extensions! It’s a trap to get your car!

Original review: March 8, 2021

Ally Bank is the most incompetent company I have ever dealt with and will never be using them to lease a car again. I paid off my car early in December 2020 and handed it back and because of their own lack of communication and incompetency, they did not receive my last odometer reading until February 2021. They say I still owe them money, which I do not, and have put on my credit score that I have missed a payment, which I have not. Please do not lease your car through them if you can help it! It's not worth the headache and stress after to sort your life out.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I have been a customer with Ally Bank for 5 years with my car loan of 7 years, I called to see if I could get my due date changed due to having to retire early and now I'm only getting paid once a month. I wanted to change my due date so that my payment wouldn't show as being late and of course having to pay a late fee but, no go. Really poor way to do business and believe me this will be the last time I ever take a loan with this bank ever again. In the past they had been helpful when I needed to change things around to avoid such things but the bank told me that they no longer offer this service, really I would think differently especially since people are hurting from this covid ordeal. Once my loan is done I will be done with them forever. Buyer beware and check out your ratings for this bank. Very dissatisfied with them.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

I was not told that making an extra payment towards my principal would have finance fees taken from it. This happened in September 2020 and I have been told the Check is in the mail. All LIES. When you call on the phone the operators do not seem to have a handle on finance matters and read from a script all the while never really answering your question. I have called, emailed and ALL THE WHILE MY PAYMENT HAS BEEN ON TIME. I WANT $ 100.00 DOLLARS RETURNED TO ME TOTAL. NO FEES DEDUCTED. I will NEVER use this Horrible bank again.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

My Ally experience kept me up for MONTHS!! Ally seems to be the bank to give out loans to customer with less than perfect credit. When I went to get a car, I had some negative equity that no bank wanted to finance. Ally offered a loan but the terms were less than ideal; I accepted and took the car home. Just over a year later I paid the loan off for my car. (March 2020) Due to human error, my payoff check was sent to the wrong department. I immediately called Ally and told them what happened. I was assured that they "made a note in the account".

The days went by, the check was delivered but no movement, I then called Ally to ask what is going on. They stated "oh we have it but It is going to take a few days." My 10 day grace period was up and there was a late charge on my account now, I called again asking where my payoff check was. I was assured that there was a note on the account and to "wait a few more days". When nothing happened, I had that check canceled and overnighted a new one to their payment processing center. I notified Ally of the new check number and provided the new tracking number. I explained that the original check was sent to a different department by mistake and that it was canceled. Ally assured me "everything will be okay and we will not cash the old check".

Almost a month later, I finally see that the payoff check cashed. BUT it was the old check that I was promised they would make a note not to cash it. Of course that check bounced and then I get all of these calls saying I am now a month behind. I explained to multiple agents and managers what is happening. One agent called me a liar and another threatened to take my car. A week later the payoff is processed. (5 weeks after the original one was sent) I called to get the other fees waived because the original check was there in time. The customer service agent said "no problem" and about 10 days later I get the title to my car. I also receive a notarized letter stating that the loan has been paid in full and the account is closed.

Six month later I get a letter from Ally stating that they will settle on the fees and they want me to pay them now. I called immediately and asked what late fees they were referring to. "According to our records, you are over 100 days past due." I explained to them that it was not possible because I have the title, and multiple records stating that the account was been paid in full. For 2 weeks I spent countless hours on the phone trying to get this resolved. I even sent a letter to the CEO of the company with every piece of proof that I had. When I was sent to the "collections" department, I sent them copies of the title, the notarized letter stating that the account has been satisfied, and another letter saying that the account is "paid in full".

The manager of that department told me "this doesn't prove anything and you owe us the money." I went ahead and reached out to an attorney because I was getting nowhere. One attorney suggested to request a copy of every payment ever made to Ally. December 2020 I finally received a letter from an "executive customer service agent" explaining that the account has been paid in full and "we do not believe that Ally did anything illegal." So those fees that I "owed", all of sudden disappeared. Ally caused me to lose sleep and had many nightmares always worrying if I was going to lose a car I held the title to. They never admitted fault for the error but they were more than happy to try to get even more money out of me.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

Ally Bank is the worst bank. There is no department available to settle complaint or a dispute.

1). The frontline overseas customer service department does not attempt to help to a customer get to the right department.

2). There is no upper management team above the frontline customer service department to help with complaints or settlement(s), (that is what I was told).

The overseas customer service department gets a double zero and I wish I could give them less and because of their overseas customer service department, I will never deal with them again. I wish them the worst fate in business.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I was paying for a car through these people, over the course of 3 years of payment 2 and a half of which were always on time, they never once allowed for a refinance and were less than sympathetic when it came to how much they wanted every month. They do not try to help you in any real way. All these people are after is your bottom dollar they are not to be trusted do not use these people.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

Recently I purchased a new truck and the financing from the dealership went through Ally. The dealer told me they would be sending me materials but after month a hadn't received anything. As it turns out my address was butchered (a hybrid of my mailing and physical). Maybe it was a mistake on the dealer's part but finally I tried setting up an account online. However it was very difficult to input the correct information. They also had a mysterious phone number listed for me. After navigating the website and unsuccessfully trying to fix things on my own I called the bank directly. It was VERY challenging to get to a real person and the rep had the same challenges as I did to correct the information on my account. He wanted to take payment (though I already submitted online but it showed as pending).

At this point I was OK with making another payment as I thought it would just go to the next month but then it was going to cost me more money because it was "going through a third party". Anyway though it was only a couple of bucks I wasn't going to pay them more money for their bad system. Then I thought it might be a good idea to document my ordeal and conversation with REP via their "contact us/ email" feature; well even that failed! Just like trying to make the appropriate changes to my account all I accomplished was an error message. Like they say... "you never get a second chance for a first impression". The Rep while very cordial was not equipped by Ally to actually help me. NOT IMPRESSED!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

December 2019 I was financed by Ally. All was great until my vehicle was deemed a total in January of 2021. I had already set up my next payment and attempted to cancel it eight days prior to the date it was to be taken. Ally said I have to contact the third party company to cancel it. I call them and they tell me to call Ally. Round and round with no solution except to let it go through and they would send it right back to me. I just spent 40 minutes of my only day off on the phone again going in circles. They say the payment hasn't happened. Well it did, I offered my statement but they said it won't matter as they have to wait ten business days. My only suggestion, do not use the third party to make a payment, in fact, skip them all together if possible. The frustration isn't worth it. Oh, they told me to call my bank to see if they will give me the money back! My bank, you are the ones that have it!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I turned in leased vehicle at the dealership, and the dealership paid off the balance with Ally Bank, and the payoff showed properly on my account. However, I kept getting billed, so I called them and explained to them the situation, and after 5 calls and lots of time on hold, I was finally able to reach a representative that could help. Fortunately, she was able to take care of it after several hours on the phone, but the fact I had to waste my time on their error is frustrating. I got my final lease termination statement/disposal fee (which is a ripoff in itself, but that is standard for all leases), and there is no way of paying online... I have to pretend I'm back in the 80s and pay by mail, instead of a quick online payment. Personally, I would not use Ally in the future, fortunately my new vehicle is being financed by BofA, which is far better and lots of branches in my area as well.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

I got laid off from work due to Covid 19 lead me to see medical help because I couldn’t find work with pregnant wife and 4 years old. This bank didn’t care about you put the food on the table for your pregnant wife and daughter. I recommend that you check with the dealer which bank they are signing you with. Any community union bank with work hard to help you. They lied to me by making me get money from my sister who just lost her job to grant me an extension and they end up not granting it.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Recently our vehicle which was financed through Ally was deemed a Total Loss by our insurance company. Our insurance company was awesome and finished our claim quickly so that we could get past this horrible experience and move on. This was back on 12/12/20 It is now 02/11/21 and Ally still has not sent the information to my GAP company even though I have called in more than 3 times to ask them if they did and sent everything they needed and they have the money from my insurance. The only way I found out is by finally actually calling the GAP carrier myself. My credit is already bad enough and this caused me to have to pay a much higher finance fee on my replacement vehicle and higher down payment because they are still reporting me as past due during this process. It is ridiculous and very upsetting. I will let everyone I know about this experience.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

Ally Auto Account Number: **. This is my second vehicle financed by Ally Auto. The previous vehicle was a Mercedes Benz, which I paid off before time in full; hence I’m a good customer. Due to the COVID-19 furlough, I had requested more time to pay my current Ally auto payments. I was asked to contact via chat, and I did on Dec 08, 2020. I was assured that I would not be paying any interest etc., till the end of January 2021. However, I received an email from Ally in early Jan 2021 that I was late in payment. Then, on Jan 08, 2021, I contacted Ally auto via email and phone. Email reply was an auto-reply from Ally asking me to call. I have tried several times to call Ally auto but was promptly placed on hold for more than 45 minutes. I called a few more times to work something out with Ally auto, but every time was placed on hold.

Ally auto never called me back or replied to my emails to work out a payment plan or a resolution. I believe I have been unfairly treated in spite of having an excellent paying record. I also think that Ally Auto may unfairly send a negative report to credit bureaus. Hence, I am requesting that Ally Auto cancel my payments for a couple of months and retract any negative report sent or work out a payment plan. We may contact the attorney general, social media and news organization, and other state and federal authorities for what I believe is unfair treatment by Ally auto. I believe I am a victim of Ally Auto's predatory business practices as I'm being forced to pay without making any current concessions due to COVID-19.

Raj

Original review: Feb. 4, 2021

I got sick with this "Upper Respiratory Infection" in Sept 2019, later diagnosed as Covid-19 and my dad had my phone as I was hospitalized which he left on the dashboard of his truck in Georgia so it melted and malfunctioned. Once I was released from the hospital 2 weeks later I tried SEVERAL times to contact Ally but all I got was the run around. After securing my old number again I got a call from them and I was given MoneyGram info to make 2 payments which I did immediately. I called 2 days later to make sure and was told my account was closed and my car was out for repo.

This financial institution does not care if you get sick, if you lose your job or anything. THEY WILL NOT WORK WITH YOU IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, FORM OR FASHION. They have absolutely no compassion and they are RUTHLESS cutthroats. Now my family is without transportation, kids can't go to school, wife can't teach or go to chemo and radiation treatments. All 'cause I got stuck and couldn't work from a hospital bed. Good luck dealing with this bank because CLEARLY reading from the previous reviews this is a VERY common practice!!!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

My son's mom passed, I took her Toyota Rav 4 to a Toyota dealership, notified Ally and presented them with a death certificate. They picked up the vehicle and til this day, a year later, I am still receiving a bill and letters stating they did not get the vehicle which is a lie.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

I have accounts at 3 other banks, so I am basically comparing Ally to them. When I first opened the account, thought service was fine, but now it has gone downhill. No real customer service, different answers to same question from different reps, terrible phone connections--after holding for 30 minutes, they dropped my calls 3 times. Spent two afternoons trying to get simple information. Contacted through social media--no response. Tried calling Ally headquarters--phone no. does not work. Not sure any real bankers work there--sounds like a bunch of inexperienced kids. There is NO quick payments or ways to transfer your own money to your accounts at other banks. Zelle 'quick payment' takes 3 business days! Other banks transfer it immediately. That is the point of Zelle--it is for quick payments.

The Ally website is a disaster. To transfer money--go to 'Manage Linked Accounts.' Page says no links--empty--though BOA is linked. Tried to add the account, error message says it is already linked! Cannot even get through to a rep who knows why, so they always have to go get answers and usually disconnect my call during this time. Three times in a row! Ridiculously long hold times on phone. Thoroughly frustrated with this bank that holds onto your money as long as possible--probably why accounts are free. Ally is amateur hour and I would never consider 'investing' with them. The attitude is that they just don't care. This cannot be blamed on the pandemic--other banks are managing fine.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

This is the worse company I've ever worked with. In the midst of a pandemic they do not care if you are struggling they want their money and will harass you and manipulate you. I'm currently in the process of removing my auto loan from this company. They do not care about hardship whatsoever even if you've been an on time loyal customer of there's for four years. Their customers service are all non original English speaking so there's always a language barrier and no help is ever received. I personally feel this is done intentionally on the companies end to frustrate customers from calling. Save yourself the stress and stay away from this company. I would give them zero stars if I could.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

The representatives are inconsistent with their practices. They neglect to tell you pertinent information. One says one thing, then you speak with another and receive different information. Completely unacceptable. I requested an extension and it was granted with terms of course, all which weren’t relayed to me. Needless to say, it expired. I found this out after speaking with another representative. Who provided me with more terms, so which were different than the ones I had agreed to before. I will never do business with them again.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Last April I walked into local Kia dealership and my credit score wasn't that great and Ally did approved me for no money down. And I was able to drive off the lot within a hour and much better than experience I had with Credit Acceptance 24 years ago. And Ally interest rates are much lower and I have it set up for automatic payments on due date through my bank account. And I make sure that I have more money in my bank account before the due date and haven't missed a payment. And Ally keeps reporting to the Credit Bureau as on time payments. So I recommend that call new and used car lots and ask if they do business with Ally before you do credit applications.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

To who ever this concerns,

This is my 5th time trying to get a hold of Linda the supervisor with id # **. She said she’d give me a one time courtesy on my 30 day late fee that happened during Covid. I faxed over all my documents as requested and everything is time stamped with your company information. I have called and called and no one gets back to me along with 3 unanswered emails. After being with your company for over 20 years, this is absolutely horrible how you treat your customers during a pandemic. Per Ally’s request, I’ve also faxed over all my payment records to see what happened. As soon as I realized I missed a payment I had one scheduled.

I also spoke to another supervisor named Joe # ** who assured me this would be expedited since this is causing the problems on my refinance. I need someone from your company to call me ASAP to see why talking to over 20 people from your company has given me nothing but the run around.. My cell # is **. I need some help please. This has been going on over 60 days. Just an FYI I also spoke to Daniel, Rachel, Maria #** Mx supervisor, Cody supervisor #** and many others. This was all going on during Covid. I don’t understand how your company can be so cruel during the pandemic period!!!! Please respond, thank you.

Lora **