2. Miscellaneous

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.48/5

GameFly is a membership-based video game website that delivers movies and games to your door. It offers games for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Xbox 360 and other consoles. The website also sells consoles, controllers, games and collectibles for gamers. As a member, you can rent as many movies and video games as you want for just one fee.

BOTTOM LINE

GameFly is a movie and video game rental subscription service. There are no late fees and no monthly limits. You keep the games for as long as you want and can buy the ones you love.

PROS

• No late fees
  • 30-day free trial
  • Thousands of games to try

CONS

• Doesn’t always have new releases
  • Cost increases after three months

How does GameFly work?

GameFly puts games and movies into the hands of gamers all over the country. It offers thousands of new and classic games for many different consoles, including:

• PlayStation 4
    • Nintendo 3DS
    • Wii
    • Nintendo GameCube
    • GameBoy Advance

Members choose a subscription option or start by activating a free trial. To request a game, add videos and games to your queue, and GameFly ships the next available title to you as soon as possible. When you receive the game, you keep it for as long as you want.

To get your next game, just return the first one. If you love the game you received and want to keep it, you can buy it for a discounted rate. Your credit card is billed once a month, and you can cancel anytime. There are no late fees. If you choose to buy a game you’re currently renting, GameFly sends you the original case, the manual and any codes included with the package.

Shipping usually takes between two to five business days. GameFly has two shipping centers, one in Los Angeles and one in Pittsburgh.

There are four subscription plans to choose from. You can choose a basic or upgraded movies-only subscription or one of two Games + Movies subscriptions. Both Games + Movies subscriptions include access to new releases and FastReturn shipping. The basic subscription only allows you to have one rental at a time, while the upgraded subscription lets you have two.

For every three months that you're a member of GameFly, you earn five GameFly dollars that you can use to buy rental games you choose to keep or new video games from the online marketplace.

GameFly costs

At the time of publishing, the basic Games + Movies subscription option is $9.50 a month for three months and $15.95 per month after that. The upgraded subscription is $13.50 per month for the first three months and $22.95 a month after that.

For the movies-only subscription, you pay $8.00 a month for the first three months and $13.95 per month after. This level includes two movies at a time, new releases, FastReturn and Blu-ray options. It does not include reward coupons or 4K ultra HD movies.

The Elite movies-only option is $11.00 a month for the first three months and $18.95 per month after that. This subscription includes two rentals, all of the features of the standard subscription, reward coupons and 4K ultra HD options.

GameFly also offers an extensive inventory of new and classic games for purchase at a discounted rate. Some of the most popular games for purchase include:

• The Last of Us Remastered: $19.99
    • Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition: $19.99
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons: $59.99
    • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: $59.99
    • NHL 20: $29.99

Members can browse games in all price ranges, sort by new or used or select games that have just been added to the inventory or the online bargain bin.

GameFly FAQ

Is GameFly going out of business?
    GameFly discontinued its video game streaming service in 2018 but still offers its mail-out movie/video game rental service.
    How long is the GameFly free trial?
    The GameFly free trial is for 30 days.
    How long can I keep a GameFly game?
    As long as you want! There aren’t any late fees. When you’re ready for a new game, you send back the one you have.
    How do I return a game to GameFly?
    Every game rental comes with a prepaid envelope for returning games.

Is GameFly worth it?

If you love video games, a subscription to GameFly may be worth it. For the occasional gamer, the monthly subscription cost may be more than you typically spend on games. But for the serious gamer who goes through games quickly, the subscription could end up saving you money in the long run.

GameFly Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GameFly?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about GameFly?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2020

Where I live it takes 3 days to receive a game once it's shipped. It takes 1-2 days after dropping an old game off before a game in my list is shipped out to me. So overall it's 4-5 days turnaround between sending in an old game and getting the new one at my location. In less than 2 months I've already beat a 60$ game, a 30$ game and I'm playing another 60$ game right now. It's definitely worth the money. You build a wishlist of games you want and they try to send you ones from the top of your list if it's available.

If there is a game you REALLY have to get, just remove everything from your wishlist but that game to ensure that gets sent next. I get to try a lot of games that I wouldn't take a chance buying, so it's really great. I recommend at least the 2 game plan. This way when you finish one game and send it back you can play the other game while you wait. Once you've been a member for at least 3 months they open the option to get on the 3 or 4 game plan, but unless you have a lot of free time it's probably not worth the extra cost. When you cancel a subscription they want your games back within 7 days or they will charge you for them, so make sure to drop them off the day you cancel. If you cancel before your month of service is up you will lose the remaining time.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

Knowing this and you still haven't sent my next game in Que. But still charged my bank card on Sunday after hour's. There's a con you guys are running so a person pays 16$ and can only rent two games a month but if I pay 23 $ I can get to play four games in a month's time. And I've noticed on UPS tracking you guys get it from within two days of me sending it back to you in California and take your time trying to send and process the next game. First off I'm going to add this to social media so customer can be aware of what's going on.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 30, 2020

I rented my first game from Gayfly, I mean GameFly and it was 5 days later and still never received my game. Ever anticipated getting a game in the mail just checking everyday hoping to receive it but it never makes it even though the “Q” says its out for like almost a week. First game and this problem is a big RED FLAG??? And I immediately canceled my subscription.

Now I remember why I canceled it many years ago geezzz, what a mistake Gamefly is. They want to take a week out if the month and by the time you get the game, install it, download updates, and next thing you know it your next monthly payment is in. It is a tactic Gamefly uses so they can stretch their inventory and dollars more while penalizing you (without asking or saying anything) so that they can gain instead if losing so therefore they feel they have to delay you on purpose until you say something and then they won't penalize you... for a month. Screw Gamefly, please do yourself a favor and save your trouble, money, and, gaming needs to someone else. Gamefly is by far the worst video game company in the world.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

We accidentally sent back our personal game instead of their game. I called and informed them. They said it was no problem, they would send back the game as soon as they got it. When I called to check, they claim they never got my game. They get their games back within one day of me mailing it but when it comes to my own personal game I mailed by mistake, they keep claiming it must have been lost in the mail. Very shady company.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

So over the summer I decided to get this for my teen, HUGE MISTAKE! 2 games at a time, I think I received maybe 5 games in 3 months, so I cancelled. Upon cancellation they shipped the one game my daughter wanted to play. It arrived on a Friday late afternoon, so with the post office now closed till Monday in our area, I waited till the following Monday and physically took it to the post office. Just a few minutes ago I received a threatening email from GameFly stating that they've charged me for the entire amount of the game! A game I no longer have in my possession! Worthless, now I am disputing the charges with my card company, and sent a well worded on the verge of being beyond Curt, reply email. For the love of everything AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS!

Original review: May 22, 2019

Very bad company with terrible customer service. They don't care about the customer at all. First off, they charge a lot for this service, so I do expect decent customer service, but they are combative, rude and simply don't care. TWICE now, I have not received games they have shipped. This would be fine if they just immediately shipped another game out (because think about it, I am paying $22 per month to have 2 games out at a time, so any day I don't have a game in my possession, I am wasting money), but they do not immediately ship another game out. You have to wait days, sometimes a week for them to ship the game, then once they ship it, you have to wait at least 3 days to receive it.

So in one instance, I waited a week to receive a game, didn't receive it, they finally let me report it missing, then I waited 2 weeks for the next game, I checked my game queue, and it was mysteriously suddenly empty. So that is 2 weeks I paid for a service where I received ZERO benefits from the service. I told Gamefly about this and they just told me to add another game to the queue and they would ship it out when they can get to it. I requested some sort of compensation, perhaps 2 weeks complimentary to make up for the terrible service, but nope, nothing, they just don't care.

Avoid at all costs. Just buy the games you want. Get a PSN subscription and get games when they go on sale there. Just don't waste your money on this terrible, greedy corporation. They don't deserve a penny. One time I had to wait over 2 weeks to receive a game in my queue that was a new game. I advised them I had been waiting a couple weeks and they told me to just change it to a different game... that completely defeats the point. Such a waste of time and money.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Horrible gaming website. Terrible customer service. I canceled my account and they sent me a game I didn't even put out or want so I immediately sent back the game because I had canceled my account. Today I found out they try to charge me for the game. I had to call to get my money back. I suffer from severe anxiety and the customer service was no help and made me have a panic attack. I will never get GameFly again in my life and I do not recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I opened an account just fine then I get message when I tried to add games so I chatted with someone. They closed my account because my roommate has an account & hasn't returned a game so they won't let me open an account.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

My wife subscribed around 15 days ago for 1 game/2 months $9.99 deal and we never got a game. When you have a kid waiting for a game can be tough explain them, so this should be your last option. They are not reliable. When contacted them they don't care and blamed USPS, but I got deliveries from abroad and they always arrive. She picked Mario for Switch and since it never arrived. They now say they are sending Donkey Kong. With this delay it’s not worth. Going to cancel asap.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I tried them when they first came out a long time ago. Games show medium to high availability and after adding to the queue they magically have low availability. I figured I would try again since so much time had passed and they weren't out of business yet so they must have fixed their issues. Nope. The availability of the game means nothing. Even high availability games take forever to ship, and then returning and waiting for that to go through to try and get another game is BS. I was able to get one not even popular game over the 1 month free trial. This service is still a rip off and complete waste of time. Please go out of business already.

GameFly Company Information