2. Miscellaneous

Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.39/5

GameFly is an online rental service for games and movies. Subscription fees start at around $15 per month. Select from video games for Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, PS Vita, Switch, Wii U, 3DS and older systems. You can swap games anytime, and there are never any late fees.

GameFly Reviews

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

We accidentally sent back our personal game instead of their game. I called and informed them. They said it was no problem, they would send back the game as soon as they got it. When I called to check, they claim they never got my game. They get their games back within one day of me mailing it but when it comes to my own personal game I mailed by mistake, they keep claiming it must have been lost in the mail. Very shady company.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

So over the summer I decided to get this for my teen, HUGE MISTAKE! 2 games at a time, I think I received maybe 5 games in 3 months, so I cancelled. Upon cancellation they shipped the one game my daughter wanted to play. It arrived on a Friday late afternoon, so with the post office now closed till Monday in our area, I waited till the following Monday and physically took it to the post office. Just a few minutes ago I received a threatening email from GameFly stating that they've charged me for the entire amount of the game! A game I no longer have in my possession! Worthless, now I am disputing the charges with my card company, and sent a well worded on the verge of being beyond Curt, reply email. For the love of everything AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS!

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Very bad company with terrible customer service. They don't care about the customer at all. First off, they charge a lot for this service, so I do expect decent customer service, but they are combative, rude and simply don't care. TWICE now, I have not received games they have shipped. This would be fine if they just immediately shipped another game out (because think about it, I am paying $22 per month to have 2 games out at a time, so any day I don't have a game in my possession, I am wasting money), but they do not immediately ship another game out. You have to wait days, sometimes a week for them to ship the game, then once they ship it, you have to wait at least 3 days to receive it.

So in one instance, I waited a week to receive a game, didn't receive it, they finally let me report it missing, then I waited 2 weeks for the next game, I checked my game queue, and it was mysteriously suddenly empty. So that is 2 weeks I paid for a service where I received ZERO benefits from the service. I told Gamefly about this and they just told me to add another game to the queue and they would ship it out when they can get to it. I requested some sort of compensation, perhaps 2 weeks complimentary to make up for the terrible service, but nope, nothing, they just don't care.

Avoid at all costs. Just buy the games you want. Get a PSN subscription and get games when they go on sale there. Just don't waste your money on this terrible, greedy corporation. They don't deserve a penny. One time I had to wait over 2 weeks to receive a game in my queue that was a new game. I advised them I had been waiting a couple weeks and they told me to just change it to a different game... that completely defeats the point. Such a waste of time and money.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Horrible gaming website. Terrible customer service. I canceled my account and they sent me a game I didn't even put out or want so I immediately sent back the game because I had canceled my account. Today I found out they try to charge me for the game. I had to call to get my money back. I suffer from severe anxiety and the customer service was no help and made me have a panic attack. I will never get GameFly again in my life and I do not recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I opened an account just fine then I get message when I tried to add games so I chatted with someone. They closed my account because my roommate has an account & hasn't returned a game so they won't let me open an account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GameFly?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

My wife subscribed around 15 days ago for 1 game/2 months $9.99 deal and we never got a game. When you have a kid waiting for a game can be tough explain them, so this should be your last option. They are not reliable. When contacted them they don't care and blamed USPS, but I got deliveries from abroad and they always arrive. She picked Mario for Switch and since it never arrived. They now say they are sending Donkey Kong. With this delay it’s not worth. Going to cancel asap.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I tried them when they first came out a long time ago. Games show medium to high availability and after adding to the queue they magically have low availability. I figured I would try again since so much time had passed and they weren't out of business yet so they must have fixed their issues. Nope. The availability of the game means nothing. Even high availability games take forever to ship, and then returning and waiting for that to go through to try and get another game is BS. I was able to get one not even popular game over the 1 month free trial. This service is still a rip off and complete waste of time. Please go out of business already.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I tried the 30-day free trial and I'm glad it was a free trial!!! Cause OMG I wanted Skyrim for the switch, had to wait a week, it never show up! Then it show up and I had already gone out and bought it, so I sent it back and wanted my second game. It was shipped the 21 of Nov. and now it's Dec 3 and it's still not here!! I'm canceling my account. It's a great concept but if they're not really gonna send the games why would I pay 15.99 or more so I can waste almost half of it on the mail!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Let's start at r/NintendoSwitchDeals. There was a post about Kirby All Star Allies being on sale at GameFly for $29.99, which is half the retail price. When I followed the link, there was no purchase option, only rental. So, I signed up for a free trial. Immediately, I got a bank notification for a $9.95 transaction. At no point during signup was this mentioned. It's just a temporary hold, but it would have been great to know ahead of time.

Now I put the game as the only game in my queue. A day or two later I received an email stating that the game was on its way. At that point I was able to click the button for keeping the game for the aforementioned price, and so I did. I also made sure to add a couple more payment methods to the account, just to be on the safe side. Oh boy. That was a mistake. The day before the game arrived, I got an email concerning problems with the transaction. No big deal, I thought, I'll just log in when the game arrives and sort things out. Nope. Before I knew it, another email came in. I didn't check this immediately, just noted it was there and was likely related to the transaction issue. Then the game arrives, and is in fine condition.

I attempt to log in to my account, but notice that there's a message at the top about my account being TERMINATED. At that point, I checked the email: "Thank you for your recent purchase with GameFly. We sent you a request to verify your billing information on 11/11/18 and have not received a response from you. We do not ship a purchase if the billing information has not been confirmed. Therefore, we have cancelled your order. We have also closed the account until we are able to verify the billing information. Please return the rental Kirby Star Allies immediately and let us know once they are in the mail." That's super aggressive, isn't it? I already know that they were able to verify my billing information, so that comment is just a flat-out lie. I had an immediate suspicion.

I checked back on their site, back to the Kirby page. Sure enough, they had bumped the keeping price to $37.99. How convenient. If I were able to sort things out with them, I guarantee I wouldn't get the price that brought me there in the first place. I found this extremely shady. Well, I won't be dealing with them any time soon. My recommendation is to just avoid this company altogether. Paying $16/mo. to rent one game at a time that you may or may not get that month? I was never going to take that path, but I feel sorry for anyone that does.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

They take forever to send you the games so you end up paying to wait for a game in the mail. They claim to have all the new games but don’t tell you that it may not be available because they have limited quantities. It’s cheaper to use the Redbox, at least you will always have a game to play.

GameFly Company Information