1.61/5
Based on 18 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

24 GameFly Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I signed up for a free month of Gamefly. I had to wait about a week for my first PS4 game to arrive. When it arrived, it had very noticeable chips around the outside edges of the disc and the PS4 gave me an error message when booting it. I reported it damaged, sent them an email describing the damage and my incredulity of them missing the damage. They sent me a replacement copy. SAME EXACT TYPE OF DAMAGE. Canceled my account immediately at that point, they will be receiving zero of my money for a service that doesn't provide playable games.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

At the beginning I thought that is an incredible service, but now l feels cheated. I was not able to win any race in the Grid racing game so I bought a steering wheel however l still unable to win any game even with the lowest difficulty settings that is probably because of the lag as well because that game sucks. Moreover more games are difficult to play because you can't adjust the settings for the controller. Even worse they taking back many good games and gives a new in their place. Other than that it's hugely overpriced. The games which works quite good but usually terribly boring. But most of the worse the difficulty settings makes you frustrated.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I was sent a bonus game but the disc was damaged and wouldn’t play. I sent it back and a week goes by with no replacement. I get ahold of support and they tell me they don’t send you replacements or the next game in your queue. They just put it back in your list...sigh.

Original review: May 10, 2018

They just take money out of your account without your permission and service just sucks. I got a game that wouldn't even play more than two times. They email it in a flimsy paper cardboard mailer that offers little protection. If someone says they have had the service for ten years that is 2,000 paid out in normal fees they are just lying. Ya someone said that here. That is why there are so many complaints here. I don't like someone just taking money out of my account without permission even if in contract they can bill me like normal people do. They need to be put under federal investigation and shut down.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I started the free trial month, loaded up my queue and waited. A week later I got my email saying one was being mailed. Got it in about a week. Put it in my Xbox One, and I couldn't get it to install past 20%. Tried different things for about 8 hours and gave up, contacted them with a damaged disk, they sent another of the same game. Another week goes by... I get the disk... it won't install past 5%... really? I'm glad this was only a trial month, I would have been very upset if I paid for this wasted month. Would I recommend GameFly? Uh... no. I would honestly rather just buy a new game and download it from the store. Heck, I would even risk the $5 to buy a used one at the pawn shop over GameFly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GameFly?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I have only had this service for a month, for the free trial period, but there has been nothing but issues. My first movie took over a week before they even attempted to send it out, even though I had plenty available in my queue. Then it took another week to receive it the third movie from my queue, even though the others showed full availability. I watched it within 1 day and sent it back. Another week went by, they still hadn't received it so I reported the issue and they sent me another movie a couple days later. It's been over a week and I have not received it yet and my free trial ends in a couple days. So for a month I've only been able to watch 1 movie. For the price I might as well just buy it from the store and save myself some money. I've never had such a horrible experience with a rental company before. Will never use GameFly again. So dissatisfied with their shipping system.

Original review: July 11, 2017

As a customer of GameFly for over 10 years now, I think I have a good idea of all of the pros and cons of the service. When I first signed up it was great. I'm not sure if it was because they had a low # of customers or they were putting more effort into it since it was a brand new company, but they really seem to have gotten worse as the years have gone by, in almost all facets. 6-10 years ago I would've rated GF 5/5 but as you can see now my opinion of them has diminished quite a bit from then.

Pros: The reason I signed up for GF in the first place still makes the service worth it, the value is still decent. I have the 2-game plan and to be able to have 2 games for about $25 per month, where games cost $60 individually, is hard to beat. You don't have to waste money buying a game that you don't like or that the developers released half developed (since us consumers have no idea that is how it will be) and that is happening much more often with games nowadays. The 1-game plan is $17 so that doesn't seem like a great value, but it is only about $7-8 per game more for up to 3 games out at a time, so you have that sort-of bundling/bulk discount.

The "Keep It" feature that allows you to purchase a game that you already have out is nice since it lets you keep a game that you decide you like and the price is slightly discounted. They also ship you the case, manual and any codes/promotions that may have come with the game so you don't really miss out on anything you would've purchasing it anywhere else.

Cons: The shipping/handling has gotten much worse. I used to be able to send a game back and have another one within 3-5 days every time. This has now turned to 5-10 days every time. They also mishandle games more frequently than they used to, losing games I've shipped back or I never receive the game and have to report it and delay my next game another 5-7 days.

The "Keep It" and game purchasing prices have gotten higher over the years, most likely at the hands of the developers and distributors, but is still slightly disappointing that GF couldn't have retained their lower prices through a contract or negotiations or something like that. They also used to let you purchase any game, where now they are selective with which games you can purchase (probably based on their stock of the game). With about 20 games in my queue right now, there are only 4 that I can purchase, where it used to be all 20.

Their customer service is not great either, again I feel like it used to be better, but I didn't used to have all of the problems that I have with them now so it's hard to say for sure. When I contact them about issues/problems they really don't seem to care, even if it is 100% a mistake on their part, I don't ever get a "Sorry" or any admission to fault, which is disappointing.

New games are very difficult to attain as well. Within a day or two of a game release, the game will already have Low to Very Low availability, which makes it almost impossible to get. They recommend to have your queue empty, but even with that you would have to ship a game back with perfect timing or have a slot empty at the date that game is released, basically wasting money. Keeping the queue empty is a terrible option to me anyways, as it is a really good tool for remembering games you didn't get to play and/or may want to rent/buy later as well as keeping track of game release dates and making sure you don't forget about a game coming soon.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

I've been a member for just about two months (2/10/17 will be two months) and I've spent more time with games in a "transaction" mode than in my PS4. I live roughly 225 miles away from the Pittsburgh distribution center and it's about two weeks between sending a game back, and receiving my next game. There was also a time where in my "Q" I had a good 10 games and no games were sent to me even though many of them had high availability. The first 3 or 4 games did have low availability but nonetheless, nothing came.

I find if baffling that it takes a week to send a game 225 miles, but if I were to send a regular piece of mail, it would get there in a day or two. I fear it is Gamefly's process of receiving and distributing games that is the lag. Customer service provided me phone numbers for USPS to call to complain, but why is that my obligation? At $15.95/month, you can go to your local game rental outlet and rent for at least two weeks, if not more. I just remember in the old days renting via Netflix and Best Buy through the mail transactions happened much, much more quickly. If you can wait 1-2 weeks for the delivery, this is for you. If you want to rent more than one game so that you always had one, this may be for you. But given that customer service does nothing for you, I cannot recommend highly.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2016

This company is horrible. To get straight to the point I was a member for a month and I got my game within 4 days and sent it back 3 days later. I waited a week to hear they were shipping my next game and they said they hadn't received it but they said they would ship out my next game. So 11 days go by and they still haven't sent me an email so they tell me some games have low availability and I get that but all my games were available right then. By the time they responded back it had already been 2 weeks so I cancelled my membership. It's pathetic and I'd much rather go to Redbox and pay a little more and have my game right there instead of having to wait 2 or 3 days to get one. In a month you will spend like half that time waiting for your game to get returned and for you to receive it. It's a bunch of BS and no one I talked to was helpful.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

Do NOT use this service. I signed up for the FREE TRIAL as a Tapjoy offer to get coins on WWE Slam game (308,000 coins) & it claimed there was an authorization hold of like $9.95 & swore it was NOT a charge & the bank would release it in 2-5 business days. My mom got a phone call the other day about 2 "fraudulent" charges of $9.97 to her bank card where it actually TOOK MONEY OUT of our bank account which we DO NOT have the money for that to happen right now. They are liars, thieves, & stealers & you should STAY AWAY. Lucky for GameFly the bank sent the money back to our account.

Original review: June 27, 2016

Let start out with saying Gamefly is amazing for the money if you do the math. You buy a new game for $65 just one game at a store. Now even their most expensive service is $30 a month for 3 games so if you do the math you paid $10 per game to rent and guess what if you get a game you don't like you return it for no charge and get the next one on your Q. If you're like me it's hard to find a game you really enjoy. So going to a store and trying to pick a game that's in budget and like is really difficult. Also if you find a game you like you can buy it at a discounted price.

Now the best part about Gamefly is they care if you stay as a customer. That store really cares. I had a issue this month were I couldn't pay my subscription so I had a choice: reduce my subscription or cancel altogether. Well... I decided to cancel and right at the end when I went to cancel Gamefly gave me a free month at the subscription I currently had so thank you Gamefly. I highly recommend this company to anyone that enjoys games and saving money.

Original review: June 24, 2016

I signed up for the free month trial and they have already billed my account. Very bad business practice so I promptly cancelled my account. No answer. No support.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2016

This business maintains an unfair & crooked business. I have been a loyal customer to GameFly for several years. I made one mistake sending the incorrect game back, my children's game. When I contacted them I sent the incorrect game back, they reported I would not get my game back, only a $15 credit for a $54.00 game. They would in no way attempt to correct the situation fair with sending my game back & me returning the correct one. The only compensation was a $15 credit & for me to return their game to them. I do suggest not to waste your money on a crooked business.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2015

I signed for the free trial and they charged my account. I tried to go and take my payment method off and the account page won't load up so I figured if they are going to charge me I might as well get a game but then it says I'm not a member but yet they are taking my money! What!!! This GameFly needs to be shut down. They are just stealing from people.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

I had just gotten a PS4 for my birthday, I thought a Gamefly subscription would be great as it would let me try games before buying them. So I signed up, put in my billing information and billing address, chose shipping same as billing address. What they don't tell you is they use an address verifying service. Now, with most places that use verified addresses it will give you a message of "We found this address that's close to what you entered, do you want to use it or what you entered?" Gamefly does not. So it tried to verify my address and went with the closest match it could find, which was about as similar as Elephant is to Elephant-Seal. The words are close, but at the same time they are functionally completely different.

I found this out when I got a shipping confirmation and no game after a week. Not knowing why it entered a completely wrong address, I updated my address, hit save, and entered a ticket of never received game. Next day I get a new shipping notice an hour later I get a message saying they received my ticket and a new game was being sent... to the SAME wrong address. Log back into my account, there's the same wrong address.

This prompted a chat with their (not at all) help center, which lead to a call with a manager. After being told that if an address doesn't match the system uses its best guess, I then get repeatedly told that I manually entered the wrong address. Yet my billing address shows just fine. I tell them there's no way the game is going to get to me, it's not going anywhere near the right place. Their "helpful" hint was I should go to the USPS office and try to intercept it there.

After a long argument with the manager, she finally has the right address in the system. But I get told it's another week before I can enter in a "game not received" ticket and they can't (won't) do anything to other than have me wait that time and then after that they will send my next available game. Two weeks wasted. My only consolation is that it was a free trial period, which I am already canceling. Nothing is worth this amount of aggravation.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

This place of business should not exist. I've had my account open with them for 3 months. In those 3 months I received a total of 4 games. The issues I had with them are as follows:

1. The shipping methods they use are horrible. They ship by USPS with no tracking number. USPS loses the games and then Gamefly requires 7 days after their shipping day before you can even report it to them. You loose more than half a month before you get a new game.
2. They blame you for any lost games in transaction and still bill you for the monthly cycle.
3. They tend to send damage material and try to bill you for it.

4. After you report 2 lost games they cancel your account without looking into the issue. By the way they don't refund you your money.

I would just stick to Redbox or any other form for rental games. Gamefly is unreliable, the staff is rude and not willing to help the customer. They will bill you however they please to do so.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2015

My husband and I just signed up for GameFly in July, not even 2 months ago. In just that short amount of time, we have received not one, but TWO damaged, nonfunctional game discs. The very first game we ever received from them was a Wii U game that was so scratched up that the game would not load past the title screen and would totally freeze up. They did send us a replacement, which worked, but we were not at all impressed that the very first game we ever received from them was defective. The second game we received was an XBOX One title, which actually had a pea-sized chip on the size of the disc. Obviously, our XBOX would not even read this disc. I once again e-mailed GameFly to notify them that we had received yet another damaged, nonfunctional game disc. They responded a couple of days later stating that they would be sending us a replacement. After a week went by, we still had not received the replacement.

I spent all last week e-mailing them every single day with absolutely NO response whatsoever. I tried calling, but the hold times were ridiculous and I didn't have time to sit on hold for 20-30 minutes. This morning, I had an e-mail stating that they had actually charged us $46 for this game!!! I was LIVID! I was literally seeing red, blood boiling. I got right on the phone, waited on hold for over 15 minutes, and then came totally unglued on them. I demanded to know WHY we had been charged the full price for this game when we still had the defective, non-working copy and they were supposed to have sent us a replacement TWO WEEKS AGO that we STILL had yet to receive.

They had NO RIGHT to charge our credit card for this game. It was unauthorized and it was theft. The woman on the phone did apologize and credited the $46 back to our card, but that NEVER should have even occurred. I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau about our experience with these crooks. We will be canceling our membership immediately. We refuse to pay for a service that we are not even receiving and, on top of that, having money stolen from us by these scam artists. AVOID GAMEFLY AT ALL COSTS!!! THEY ARE NOTHING BUT CROOKS!!!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2015

I try to log in and said it failed and I get the same thing all the time. Don't know why it won't let me. Can you send me something to help me with it? I have got a game out from them now and I bought one but can't get in to get any more.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2009 I added a game to my queue which had a medium availability, but it took nine days to arrive. When I sent them a complaint they said that this happens sometimes and we don't have enough games and we wait for users to return their games. this is the last time a use gamefly.
Original review: Oct. 27, 2008 I returned a game to them with in there specific time frame and my credit card still was charged and I have no game since I sent it back. My real problem is no customer service I have NEVER been able to reach anyone on the phone and e-mails take several days to get response's on.
Original review: Oct. 17, 2007

I signed up for GameFly during a promotion they were having for a free giveaway. In order to receive it I had to sign up 5 people for one month each. I did just that and received a confirmation code and form from GameFly to fill out in order to receive my free Wii. A couple of weeks later GameFly notified me that they would not be sending me the Wii because they had changed their contract on 5/15 (the day I signed up my friends). I have made numerous attempts to contact GameFly because I had obviously fulfilled my end of the bargain before they had made the change (hence the confirmation code), however they will not honor their promotion.

I'm out the cost of 2 months for a subscription I never would have bought if it weren't for the promotion. My friends are out 1 month for their subscription. The sad thing is, I would have kept my account active had GameFly not lied. All I would like from GameFly is what they promised me - the Wii.

Original review: April 4, 2006

My son wanted to join a club which is advertised as Gamefly where the consumer is able to rent as many games without late fees. I joined and provided my credit card and my son received his first 2 choices in about a week after refistering. My son played the games and returned them to get his next two selections. I also purchased a game for my nephew which I was charged and never received.

After returning the first games received we never received our next selections and therefore proceeded to cancel my subscription because I felt something was not right after receiving my first games and then the tardiness in my next selections. After my cancellation, this company has charged my credit card 4 more times and I have contacted them and they refuse to work with me. They claim they sent the games but I never received them, I also never received the purchased game and my credit card was charged. After notifying them of my feelings they proceeded and charged my credit card 2 more times.

I was charged over 70 dollars without my consent causing my account to have insufficient funds.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2005

I entered an XBOX 360 sweepstakes with Gamefly.com a week ago. I received an email stating I won an XBOX 360. I called Gamefly to make everything was ok. They told me that I was not the winner and that they sent out the email by error.I'm upset about the whole thing, they made the error and should honor the XBOX 360 prize that they said I won.

Original review: June 23, 2005

Gamefly is like the Netflix for video games. Every time I ship games back, they've lost it 1 out of 3 times. They cancelled my account, despite that I told them that I have never lost a Netflix movie. I really liked the service, and I wish I could get more games, but I hope their business fails if they continue to send impicative emails calling the very customers that support them liars and theives.

GameFly Company Information

www.gamefly.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business