4.88/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Whitmore School is an online high school meant to help advance our students no matter where they are in life. Whitmore School knows that not all students were meant to be sitting in a classroom, and that is why we exist. We offer several courses with full diplomas that are accepted by colleges, universities, employers, and even US Military. At Whitmore School, we understand that not all students work the same way, that is why our teachers are trained to work with the student’s schedule, as well as working one-on-one with the student until the course is done. If you think Whitmore School is for you, then call us today and learn more about our program!

Whitmore School Reviews

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

We're in South Carolina and we moved from Ohio. Our schools are overcrowded here, and I feel that my children get one-on-one attention with SC Whitmore. During the enrollment process, they require proof of residency and a transcript from the previous school. This year, they're doing an i-Ready math and English, and we enrolled. The re-enrollment was a lot easier this year. My children have taken Algebra 2, geometry, biology, English and history. The school has met their needs.

Charlotte,
Thank you for your 5 star review, we are so pleased your son is doing well @Whitmore School.

Steve Ray

Original review: July 30, 2019

We moved from a different city and the high school is massive compared to where my daughter went, and it was very overwhelming. So, we moved into online schooling and found Whitmore School. The enrollment process was fairly simple. We just went online and filled out the forms and sent over transcripts. I talked to a few people in between there, and the interactions had been fine. They get back to my questions. If I had any, I called the school. Everybody seemed pleasant.

My daughter went to Whitmore to finish high school, so whatever requirements were necessary to graduate high school through Whitmore, that’s what she’s been taking. The classes are fine. One of the things that I know is frustrating for her is that she doesn’t just get graded on her work. The teachers make her correct things four or five times before they’ll give her a grade and not only that’s time consuming, she thinks it’s annoying, which I understand. Since she has a high grade point average if she were to get even an A minus on a class, it wouldn’t do much to her grades, but they still make her get a 10 and that kind of is irritating to her. Still, our overall experience with them is good.

Whitmore School response
Ashely, thank you for your 5 Star Review and your comment on our Mastery Learning approach. We understand that some teens may get frustrated when their teacher request revisions to their work. However, we have found students learn more and retain more when they revise their lessons and earn a better grade.
We are thrilled to see that your daughter is earning straight A's.

Original review: July 19, 2019

Whitmore School and Staff are outstanding! My son was able to complete his high school studies at his own pace, and he got it done completely on his own. His GPA is better, his confidence is better, and I believe he got a better education than our local school system. The teachers are excellent, just can't say enough about how everything came together beautifully. Thank you Whitmore School and all involved.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 star review Willem. Your son definitely applied himself while attending Whitmore School. His grades reflect his dedication to school work. We all hope he has continued success!

Steve Ray

Original review: July 17, 2019

My son has definitely done better with online school than going to a brick-and-mortar school. He had some anxiety with lots of people. And he’s a computer kid. He learns better on a computer than he does within a classroom. We did some research with his Connections Academy when we were in New Mexico. And it went well, except then they lost their charter. And then we moved to Arizona, and we wanted to have something where he would have just a little bit more help if he needed it in terms of tutoring and talking to teachers, and we decided that we’re probably better off paying for it rather than doing a free state school. So, with all of our research, it ended up with Whitmore.

The enrollment process was fine. I’ve talked to the guidance counselor, and we were talking to the school in regards to when my son can finish the last semester. We had him take one class over the summer so that he could keep plugging along. And they were able to do that for him. The quality of the education that his been receiving is going well. He’s gotten straight A's because they don’t just kinda let him skirt by. They make him get it all right, which I like.

Whitmore School response
Jennifer, thank you for your great review. Your son is doing very good work at Whitmore and his grades show it. Huge improvement, please tell him to keep up his song effort!!

Steve Ray

Original review: July 16, 2019

I enrolled my daughter in an online schooling with Whitmore, and everything has been going fine. I haven’t had any issues. The enrollment process was simple, and the cost and quality of the education with Whitmore are fine.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Amber!

Steve Ray

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: July 10, 2019

I had a child who had a medical issue and I thought that it would be better for her to be homeschooled. Considering the online reviews, we went with Whitmore. They were the only school at that time who didn’t have any negative reviews or had only a few compared to the other schools. But when I enrolled my daughter, it took too long for them to set up the classes. I had just called them to switch her to another school, and then finally, the classes were posted. That process took them about three weeks.

Ten months into the program, my daughter had schoolwork that Whitmore sent back like two or three times. At first, I was annoyed and was like, they should just grade the work. Then I thought about it and at least they are making sure she understands the work. But part of the problem I’m having now is that she couldn’t go on. She hasn’t finished it yet because she can’t go on to the next thing until they’ve graded the previous one. When I talked to them on the phone, they said they can go on with the program as fast as they want. But my daughter hasn’t been able to do that because she’s waiting for stuff to be graded.

I was told that she can finish it under a month, or as fast as she wants, but it’s against the law supposedly to finish it within 30 days. That’s okay because I knew she wasn’t gonna go fast. She’s a little bit lazier than my other kids. But then, when she has submitted stuff fast, they say she can’t submit that. I was also told that she could do two assignments a day in each class, which hasn’t been the case. And a lot of times, we’re still waiting for stuff to be graded. Her last three assignments for her English class took two months to be finally graded. And then, they were saying that she needed to review this and that. Now, because of all of this, she only has over a month to finish her last three classes, which the Math was really hard. They sent her questions for the first assignment, and it took forever for them to get back to her on that. I’ve had to call the school a couple of times because I want to see the grades already.

My daughter wants to go back to public school in August because of all of this. But I don’t think she’s gonna be finished with this so I can't get her transcript. And then, we just got back from a vacation and we’re going to another vacation in two weeks and it’s hard for them to do schoolwork when they’re at the beach. I have another child that’s gonna be homeschooled next year, but I’m not using Whitmore. I’m not happy with them. It's not one of the cheapest ones, but I was looking at what I was getting. When I’m paying $1,800 a year for a school, I expect a lot better than what I got because public school is free. They probably need more staff. I was not impressed with it at all.

The schoolwork they give is good quality, but I shouldn’t have to call the school all the time. And then I get people on the phone that don’t know what I was talking about. They would go, “Well, let me look here.” And then I have to correct them. I shouldn’t have to do that. They should be professional. People on the phone should be able to look in that file. These people that work there are probably a lot younger than me, so they should be able to maneuver around this program fast and get to where I am talking about.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Kim.

Steve Ray

Original review: July 9, 2019

We were not living in the US and I wanted my son to have a US education. I liked the format of Whitmore School. It was self-paced and he didn’t have to set times where he had to be in class. The enrollment was fairly simple and it didn’t seem much different with enrolling in a non-US school that was local, except we had to scan and send everything instead of bringing them in person. We needed to get transcripts and the birth certificate, all the stuff proving that he's him and the things that are with normal US schools.

The personnel have been great and any time I had questions, they would stay on the phone with me and answer them. My son has special needs and the teachers were helpful when he got a mistake on something like doing a thorough job at explaining it, so he understood where he went astray. He would go back and revise that. So, we've had really good interactions. He has taken Government, Algebra, Geography, Geology, English classes and a practical math class. The quality of education that Whitmore offers has a really good value.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your 5 star review Amy! I am glad you mentioned our self-paced approach to teaching. Students can learn the required material if they can do it on their own pace. Your son is a good example, just look at his grades.

Steve Ray

Original review: July 4, 2019

We were moving so we chose to enroll our child in online schooling. We did a lot of research and our son is very tech-oriented. He was looking for a school that was not book-bound. Whitmore's curriculum, books, and everything are online so we chose them. The enrollment was pretty dang easy. We filled it out online and paid. We ran into Common Core English and that was a total nightmare. There were grammatical mistakes and the lessons didn't make sense. My son ended up only doing one semester of English and then he was also taking courses. This is another reason we went there. My son has been going to junior college since he was 14. We put more of his English junior college and he took off. He thrived quite well at junior college. But most of the other courses have been fine. Although it's been hard, because of the move, to keep him motivated. He's having difficulty kind of wrapping up and finishing.

It's been nice to be able to reach live people and talk to people. Everybody we've talked to speaks English and we've been able to ask questions and find out where things were at. They've done a pretty good job of making sure our son takes the right courses at junior college and they take some of his college coursework and apply it to what he needs to get his diploma. There has been some flexibility. We've made some changes along the way and that has been nice. If I had a friend that was looking for the kind of the things we were looking for, I'd definitely recommend Whitmore but I'm pretty empathic about making sure it's the right fit for somebody.

Tiffany,
Thank you for your review. My wife and I had the same goal when we were enrolling our daughter, no books, no tests. Allowing students to work at their own pace and truly mastering the material breeds success for everyone.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I liked Whitmore's approach. I liked the fact that when my daughter hands in her paper, it isn't the end. They work on it and she learns from the back and forth, the corrections and the support that she gets. Other schools that we were choosing prior, at that time of her life and with what was going on, were not working. But this is working. For the first time in her whole life, she has not had any problems with or complaints about school. Even when the assignments weren't her favorite, she plugged through them and did the assignments. Afterwards, we would be glad she did it and had to experience it.

She has taken science, English, math and history. She does Whitmore year-round but this summer, she's a little lagging. She's got one more class of her AP English and maybe one more assignment of her algebra. She's waiting to finish them both before she starts new classes. But studying at Whitmore School has made her structure her own time and do her own thing. Every once in a while I'd ask her how it’s going but I also have updates every week. Those are wonderful because then I don't have to nag on her. In fact, I haven't really had to nag on her at all.

In terms of going off to college, a lot of kids get nervous by the time they get there. They don't have anybody telling them when to do something or how they should do it. But my daughter would be ready to tackle that on her own. People have asked me about Whitmore and I’ve recommended them. The cost is amazing and the enrollment process was very easy. Even when I've checked in or had a question, those interactions have been great. They're there and they’re very supportive. They know exactly who my daughter is and where she is at.

Louise,
Thank you for your 5 Star Review! Your daughter is doing quality work with us, I just looked at her GPA with her pervious school and Whitmore. What a difference! Please tell her to keep up the good work.

Steve Ray

Original review: June 19, 2019

My daughter was missing too much school for her sport. Plus, with all of the problems and violence in schools, I chose to enroll her in online schooling. I live really close to Santa Fe, and it was shortly after the Santa Fe shooting. I did a Google search and looked at the top 10 schools. Whitmore is content mastery-based and not test-based. To enroll, I filled out a lot of forms online and I submitted her public school records.

She's taking typical 10th-grade classes. She’s still finishing up geometry. We enrolled in August, so she has until August to complete her six credits. Geometry, earth science, English, and social studies are one each. PE and health were half a credit each. She did Spanish too and I had to get a tutor for it because she went from Spanish 1 being taught verbally at school to being taught online, which was difficult for her. She has always struggled in math and I got her a tutor in math as well. She has been doing well otherwise. The quality of education she is getting is good. The cost in relation to the quality is good too. I paid less than $2,000. I’d recommend Whitmore School to everybody.

Whitmore School response
Tanya, thank you for your review. Your daughter is doing fine work with us. She received an A- in Geometry, which is not an easy math course. It looks like she utilized our Tutoring Program for that course, so pleased it helped.

Thank you! Steve Ray