4.6/5 (55 ratings)

About Whitmore School

Whitmore School, which advertises as the first online high school, that offers four diploma options accepted by colleges, universities and other higher learning institutions. As an accredited school, Whitmore prioritizes students’ individual academic experience by promoting self-paced learning.

Pros

• Accredited
  • Flexible schedule
  • Four diploma options
  • Learn in a safe, home environment

Cons

• Requires high-speed internet
  • Not ideal if you need firm deadlines

Bottom Line

Whitmore is an accredited online school with four diploma options. Although some might find its program too flexible, many appreciate Whitmore’s focus on self-paced online learning.

Whitmore School Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Whitmore School?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

Our son's had a positive experience with all the courses at Whitmore. One course has been a little bit more challenging than the others. But overall, it's been a great experience. I would recommend it.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Kelly!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

The enrollment process at Whitmore was super easy. My son has a medical condition. I like the fact that he could do it from home. It was a total game-changer. They're really good at Whitmore about making sure that he understands the material. It's not like, “Okay, do your assignment and you're done.” They communicate with him really well. They follow-up. They really try to get the students to be accountable for all the communication. They have an awesome program and they have it really well organized.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your review Amanda. Your Son is an excellent student, looks like all A's and his Activity Calendar shows he is very dedicated to his studies. You both should be very proud!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

Going to Whitmore was safer for me. I didn't feel safe going to regular high school, because I don't like to communicate with others. Their enrollment process was really easy. We just had to send out information about myself and where I lived, and I was good. I took United States History Honors and it's going well so far. I took Algebra 1, which is really difficult to understand. For the math teacher, whenever I tell her about how I don't understand, sometimes she just repeats the same thing she said before and doesn't explain it more thoroughly. Because for sixth grade and seventh, the math was really messed up in my school, so I didn't really learn anything. I hope that she can go a little easier and explain a little slower and better. But all the English courses I've taken are really easy and I love them.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

The enrollment process at Whitmore was easy. We did most of it online. The communication was mostly by email. It's a good option if you can afford it and you have a lousy local school system.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Mark!

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 5, 2022

Going to Whitmore has its pros and cons. I like that my daughter can go at her own pace, but I dislike that she's going to be graduating a year late. I like that she doesn't have tests, but I dislike that it takes so long to finish a lesson to go on to the next lesson. You can't just take a bad grade, on a test and say, “I got a 60 on that. Now, I'm going on.” If you really don't know the material, you're stuck and behind. If you are not likely to ask for help, which is my daughter, then it's a struggle. But she's happy with it. It's expensive, but it's worth it.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for the review Shontelle. I am happy to hear you are pleased with our self pace learning system. Students do learn at different rates in subjects. By going at their own pace they can Master the material and more likely to retain it.
I know it can be frustrating when a lesson is difficult for the student. I know this because my daughter graduated from Whitmore School. There were some lessons that some tears were shed, but she persevered and learned the material. The result was she was very, very prepared for college and had a big advantage over the other students. She now describes her hardest teacher as her best teacher.
Please let us know if we can help in any way, we only succeed when your daughter succeeds.

Steve Ray

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

We were looking for an online high school for our daughter. In the end, we decided on Whitmore School. And I think we did well. Communication with the school is excellent. I appreciate the work of her school counselor. Karolina does not have English as her native language. Studying is therefore a bit more demanding for her. Nevertheless, she is excited, looking forward to every answer from the teacher. The teachers are amazing. She enjoys studying. Thanks Whitmore.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your review Jana!! So glad your daughter is enjoying Whitmore School. I will pass along your kind words to her teachers and counselor.

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

My son was having difficulties in his own high school and still is. We decided to go online. Whitmore seems to be more highly rated. I have had a lot of good conversations with the teachers and the counselors, and they're always quick to respond. Everything is going well with Whitmore. My child has learning disabilities. So, we explained this to all of his teachers, and they're very understanding. In the beginning, I thought this was just going to be a temporary deal but now, as I continue to deal with the schools, I think this is going to be more of a permanent deal. It’s great. I like that when my son doesn’t understand something, or if he needs some help, his mother or I help him out tremendously.

With him having learning disabilities, there's no timeline on when he's got to turn stuff in. He's got three classes opened right now, and we're only working on them one at a time because, with his learning disabilities, that's the only way that we can keep him focused on one task, instead of saying, “Okay, we're going to work on Math, Science, and English today.” We can't do that. If we're going to work on Math, that's what we got to do. We got to do Math completely through, through the whole course lesson, and then we'll swap over to Science or something else. That's the benefit I see of it. The only thing I wish that Whitmore could improve or could do is if he could have some face-to-face time with a teacher, other than all email correspondence.

Whitmore School response
Thank you for your review Joseph. So glad that your Son is achieving success at Whitmore School and your long term plan is to stay with us.

I appreciate your suggestion on face to face time with the teachers. The problem is our students live in different time zones all over the world, so face time is very difficult. We are trying to add more videos of direct instruction from our teachers, but it is a work in progress.

Steve Ray

Original review: Oct. 8, 2022

I love Whitmore. I am one of their adult learners because when I was in high school, I got really sick and had to withdraw from public school. I couldn't afford treatment at that time for my illnesses, so I never got to finish high school. So, now that I got treatment a couple of years ago, and I'm doing much better, and I get the option to do high school, but sort of traditional way, and not go from a GED but take courses, earn credits, learn, and build a transcript to apply to colleges. I’m so grateful that they have that opportunity. It's amazing.

I like their idea of mastery learning. They allow you to learn, and there's a time and place to make mistakes and to get things wrong, and to revise, and learn from your mistakes before you actually send in a submission or an assignment that you're proud of and that you know you've completed to the best of your ability. I loved doing things online. It’s very convenient. Everything is at your own pace and in your own time. You can make it work with your schedule, your hobbies, your family, and your work. I also work at a Mathnasium, which is like a Math Learning Center where I'm a tutor. So, I can change my hours to make it work with my work, and with my other extracurriculars like studying for the SAT. You’re not fixed into a strict schedule, which is great.

In this day and age, with the public school system and how it is in so many different districts across the country, a lot of students are falling behind because the system is not set up to be catered to individuals. So, don't hesitate. Go and get an individualized experience at Whitmore. They're going to cater to you and your strengths and help you with your weaknesses.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your great review Amber! We really do cater to the individual student and help them learn as much as possible. You are doing great, keep up the solid effort.

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

We were pleasantly surprised with the rigor about the instruction. It was a no-brainer. Whitmore was one of the best schools that we could find online. Anytime that I had a question, I could email the counselor. And there was a question about grading at one point, and there was a mistake. It was for a Spanish grade. When you’re there, you can revise. When you finish, you can get the revised score. And that score was not changed online. One of the main people called me the next day and apologized, and it was fixed. It was just a question regarding their grading policy, and there was a new teacher that had a misunderstanding. But she was grateful that we brought it to her attention. And they fixed it. It was a new Spanish teacher. So, very minor.

Whitmore teaches to mastery, which means that when a child is not learning something, you have the opportunity to go back, look at your mistakes that you’ve made, and fix those mistakes. So, there’s a lot of learning from your mistakes, which is important, and it's powerful for kids. My kids went from a half online, half in person school prior to Whitmore, and they were not as strong of students they are now. And it’s because teachers took the time to teach and reteach, which was important. The teachers cared about how the kids perform in the classes.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review and enrolling both your daughters with us!! I also want to thank you for bringing the grading problem to our attention. We try to be the best online high school and one way to achieve that is getting feedback from our parents. Your feedback with the Spanish grading issue was very important and helped not only your daughter but I am sure many other students as well. Thank You Keeta!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

Whitmore School gives us the flexibility of my daughter being able to travel back and forth. It also gives my daughter flexibility of being able to train in competitive freestyle whitewater kayaking when the water's on because the water's a different schedule. She's able to get up and train and be on the water when the water's running and be able to do school in the mornings when it's turned off. Whitmore helps with that.

I was an administrator at the last school that my daughter was at. So, I got to see what she is doing with Whitmore and what she has done in the past with the last school that she was at. And we couldn't be more pleased with the education that she's getting at Whitmore. Because of their mastery-based program, she has to get the information and learn it before she's able to move on to the next lesson. So, she, one, has to do her best and make sure that she doesn't have to do all the resubmissions. She puts her best foot forward. She has less work at the end of her school week. She has to prove that she knows the material. So, she's got some great teachers that give amazing feedback. We have enjoyed it. We have already recommended one of our friends and they transferred over from their regular school to Whitmore.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Jenny!! So happy to hear your daughter is following her passion with competitive freestyle whitewater kayaking. That sounds like so much fun, but I am sure it takes a lot of work and dedication to be successful. Our mastery-based program is a lot like competitive sports, once you truly understand and master the concept you can move on the a higher level of achievement.

Thank you for your kind words about our teachers and having the conference to refer your friends!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 4, 2022

We love Whitmore School. We love the flexibility. I've overheard a few of the classes and now, I want to actively listen in on some of them because the lectures are so spot-on and comprehensive.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your kind words Susan. We do have some great teachers that love to inspire our students.

Steve Ray

Original review: Sept. 3, 2022

Enrolling online was very simple. My child likes the online learning.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Amy!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

It's a little difficult because my daughter is kind of at her own pace and it doesn't really tend to keep her on task. Also, there are some concepts that are a little more difficult to get in an online environment. But overall, it's been a good experience and the cost was reasonable.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your review Jeremy. We are a self paced school which is really good for the students that need a little more time to master the material and also beneficial for the student that wants to finish a course quickly. The students that commit to a daily school schedule will achieve the most success.

Steve Ray

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

Enrolling was easy. I spoke with one of the counselors and he went over some information with me. I went online and I just signed up. Working with the personnel went very well. When my daughter was sick last December, I called them because she wasn't gonna do school for a week or two and they were very helpful. My daughter's learning experience has been very good and they're even preparing her more for college with the thorough research, going back and forth with the teachers, and being able to communicate with them when she can't understand something. I also like that they have an extra math tutor you can sign up for. That was very helpful because she's able to communicate back and forth with the math teachers and the other teachers too to get her work done. I've been telling a couple of my friends who also homeschool their kids to sign up with them.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Elloise!! So glad you are pleased with our school and I want to thank you for referring other students. That is the best compliment you could give us!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

Whitmore became a great fit for our son, especially their mastery-based instruction. Some classes tailed longer than other classes did, but he had to get it right. There were times when teachers would come back a dozen different times saying, “No, this isn't right. No, you did this incorrectly. No, you got to redo this.” We look back on the last two years, and we are convinced that he got a much better education than his peers did in public high school. He had a term paper due for the end of his senior year. That was a big project and he was working harder. The standards did not waver, which I loved. I respect the fact that they were expecting a certain level of quality of work from him throughout and that was great.

Whitmore School response

Thank you David! We do expect our students to master each lesson before they can move on the the next. This learning system truly educates the students and prepares them for their next challenge in life.

I am sure your Son will succeed in the future. Please tell him Congratulations on Graduating from Whitmore School!!

Steve Ray

Original review: Aug. 12, 2022

Everything's going very well with our experience with Whitmore. A lot of communication via emails. My child's doing very well. Her anxiety has decreased. She doesn't get stressed out about her school. It's been a positive influence on her.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your review Dean. So glad to hear your daughter is less stressed and doing so well.

Steve Ray

Original review: July 28, 2022

My brother went to Whitmore School when he was in high school. It worked out for our family very well. So I thought I'd try it for mine. The signup process was explained to us very well. It was easy to do. My child's taking English 9, History and Algebra 1. The quality of the education is very comparable to the cost. The cost was pretty good for an online school.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Kristian! Your daughter is off to a great start, completing Algebra 1, Biology, and Academic Success all since January. Her Activity Calendar shows how dedicated she is, submitting work 6 to 7 days a week. Please tell her how impressive she is!!

Steve Ray

Original review: July 23, 2022

The flexibility is working out really well for us. My child is working at his own pace and he's doing well.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Jason!!

Steve Ray

Original review: July 9, 2022

The classes that are offered are great. The only concern that I had is that my son needed two and a half credits to finish and when he started the program, they told me he needed four and a half. So it was gonna go a little longer than I anticipated. Other than that, my son loves Whitmore. He likes history and the flexibility of being able to work all day if he wants and then work at night and then work on the weekends.

I have my granddaughter in a program also. And in comparison between the two, there's absolutely none. Whitmore is far superior as far as being able to reach out to counselors, getting a response back, being able to check my son's progress during the day, during the week, to see what he's actually working on, and to see what he has completed. They're very structured.

Whitmore School response

Thank you Jackie!! So glad your Son is showing such responsibilities with both his school work and his job. He is going to be successful at both.

Steve Ray

Original review: July 8, 2022

My daughter loves Whitmore but she can only do the online chatting. She never has a chance for one-to-one talk time and there is a limit where she can do Math. So, I didn’t add tutoring for it. It was useless for our case. My daughter thinks Whitmore is harder for her but she figured it out and slowly, she caught up and liked it. As her parent, the only thing I'm concerned about is that there's no interaction but in that case, we may have to pay more tuition. I understand that. So, other than that, we are good.

Whitmore is very suitable if the students have side things that they're interested in such as dance or athletics or they want to spend extra time for drawing or anything specific besides school. That was excellent for those are strengths. My daughter is not. So, I wish she is. The program is a self-directed study and even though my daughter started very slow, she learned through her experiences. When she goes to college, she may able to catch up more than when she was in public school. Eventually, in her college years, it’s gonna be a benefit for her.

My daughter never read aloud so I don’t hear anything. There is auditory at the lecture but there are so many words that even American people don’t know how to pronounce. So, I wish that Whitmore has that system added. She doesn’t know how to say many words because she’s only reading with her eyes. If it is improved, that would be better. Other than that, this is a good program, especially after the pandemic. I don't have to worry about the virus because she doesn't have exposure to kids.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Jenny!! Your daughter is doing excellent work with us. I see she has signed up for Everydae. I hope she is enjoying that as well.

Steve Ray

Original review: July 7, 2022

I like that Whitmore was accredited so that all of my child's previous credits from high school going to public schooling would transfer and she could get a diploma when she graduated. I also like the fact that she has teachers that connect with her, that she has communication with them, and she can do her schooling whenever is convenient for her. The courses that she's taken are business English, photography, government, and performing arts.

The thing that I appreciated about Whitmore was being able to start when we were ready. When school usually starts, we were in the middle of moving across several states. It was a very inconvenient time for us to start right in September. I appreciated that we could start in October once we got settled in and that she has the chance to have a full year to complete the schooling. That was very helpful. They were also super kind and helpful. When I was calling to get things figured out as far as getting her started later, everyone was so understanding.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your review Ashley! At Whitmore School we try to be flexible for our students. We have students enroll everyday of the year. The students enrollment year starts their first day at Whitmore.

Steve Ray

Original review: July 2, 2022

We highly recommend Whitmore! We were worried before signing up that the classes might not be challenging enough for our daughter, but she had to work hard... and probably even a little harder than she wanted to. We cannot stress how grateful we are that we added the Math tutor option. Unless you are or have access to a Math genius 24/7 I strongly recommend the tutor plan. Beth, our guidance counselor, managed to do just the right amount of encouraging and nudging when needed. Our daughter had a couple of exceptional teachers whose feedback and encouragement made the classes feel much more interactive than we expected.

Our daughter had enough credits from her previous school to combine her Jr and Sr year at Whitmore and graduate a year early. I confess I was a little worried that this school was too good to be true, but can honestly say that I recommend Whitmore to anyone who has a self-driven student who needs to pursue their high school education on their own terms. For us, it was a bit of a life saver and we are truly grateful.

Hi Cheryl,
Our Math Tutoring Program is great because the students have access to the tutors 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. When the student needs help, it's there for them.

Thank you for your feedback on our Guidance Counselor, Beth, she does an amazing job keeping our students moving forward.

Steve Ray

Original review: June 28, 2022

The enrollment process was very smooth. We got the transcripts, and we heard a reply very quickly. My children took high school courses, and they've done outstanding. My oldest daughter graduated this year, and she's an A student. Whitmore was excellent. It's wonderful that the teachers really get back to the students quickly. I've noticed that the teachers will even respond and check students’ work even on weekends and evenings.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Melinda!! Both your daughters are doing well at Whitmore School. They seem to have a dedicated work ethic.

Steve Ray

Original review: June 23, 2022

Whitmore seemed to have the most support for my son and it seemed to match our thinking the most. When he was with the school district and we were in lockdown and he was doing online school for a year, Whitmore matched that same process. I also liked that their website mentioned that they want our son to learn and they're not going to go forward until he's mastered the concept. I liked that in theory, and then I found it to be absolutely true, that's what they were doing with my son and it has worked out tremendously well. He's had World Geography, English one, two, three, four, American government class and a career readiness class. It's been great. I've seen him become even more engaged with what he's learning. Every other day or so, he'd come, "Mom, I learned this today," or, "Did you know this?" The price I pay is a good deal for the quality that our son is receiving for his education.

The staff has also been supportive, easy to reach, willing to spend time to explain and make sure that everything's good. They've been very helpful. Because when you can't go talk to someone face-to-face, that's a concern and it has not been an issue at all. Because this is new, we've had questions and they've been right there and that's been a big relief for me.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your thoughtful review Teri! We do hold our students accountable for learning the material. It is so rewarding to watch them enjoy learning and retaining what they learn. Please tell your Son to keep up his good work!!

Steve Ray

Original review: June 22, 2022

Whitmore is reasonably priced. The enrollment process wasn't complicated. My child had to take some preliminary screening things and had to get his transcript. He has taken four courses - English, history, and two electives. He's doing well.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Monica! Your Son is a very dedicated student. He has already completed 3.5 credits since his enrollment in April 2022. And he earned straight A's!!

Steve Ray

Original review: June 16, 2022

My daughter was a sophomore when the pandemic hit. Prior to Whitmore, she had been in a public school through elementary, then we switched to private for junior high and the beginning of high school. Then when the pandemic hit, we switched again. So, she's had every experience. But when the pandemic hit and she was handling her academics at home with no problem, and she really enjoyed it. What I was paying at her private school, about two months of that tuition was equivalent to an entire year's tuition at Whitmore. Also, the curriculum was, by leaps and bounds, so much better than the private school. So it was not questionable for us at all when she started. The feedback that we got from the teachers was amazing. Everything was so quick, especially getting ahold of the school itself. They were wonderful. It was a wonderful experience.

I love the grading. I love that my daughter has to keep pushing herself and not accept the 60%. She goes back and revises it until she gets it correct. The teachers were amazing. The whole staff was wonderful. Even us traveling to West Virginia for her graduation, it was a beautiful ceremony. I would definitely recommend Whitmore 100%. It’s an excellent environment.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for the 5 Star Review Neshira!! We are so glad you made it to Graduation, it is always so fun to meet our students and families face to face. Happy you had a good time!

Steve Ray

Original review: May 14, 2022

My son is autistic with ADHD and struggles in an actual school environment. After doing some research, we chose Whitmore. It seemed to fit us. The enrollment process was very easy. Everybody was extremely helpful. My son seems to enjoy the experience. He's able to do it at his own pace, which is perfect for him. The courses are challenging, but they're not overly challenging to where he can't complete them. The teachers are all very responsive, as the guidance counselor. Overall, we're very happy.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Holly!! So glad your Son is doing so well. Our Self-paced Mastery Program allows our students to work at their own pace and really learn the material. He is doing Great!!

Steve Ray

Original review: May 10, 2022

I sent Whitmore an email and they responded right away. They sent me the necessary forms to fill. I spoke to someone, and they walked me through it. I like Whitmore and my daughter likes it as well. It's affordable and the quality is one of the best. She's doing English, History, Creative Arts, and Math. So far, it’s been okay. The only difficulty is in Math.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Celestine!! So pleased your daughter is having success at Whitmore School. I looked at her Activity Calendar, which tells us how often she is submitting work, and she is a solid student. She is submitting work 5 to 6 days a week. Please tell her to keep up her good work!!

Steve Ray

Original review: May 6, 2022

I talked to the person in the counseling department and she gave me the overview of the school. I wish Whitmore had called me earlier. When I found out their approach to teaching, that pulled me to it. There was no other choice for me. I talk about what a good school it is. Compared to public education, it's not even a little bit on the same level. So, I'm very satisfied with my choice. Whitmore is a great school.

When you move with the pace that the child can absorb what they're learning, that's the whole concept of schooling. So, that's what I've told everybody in my family and that's why I'm impressed with it. The people who review all his work were very good. The second he turns something in, he'll get feedback, and if he has any questions, it's almost immediate. It's what he's looking for. He's never had a hang up like we saw with all the other tutoring. So that's what made Whitmore so good. I've got nieces and nephews that had online tutoring and it didn't compare to what we're getting through Whitmore. All the people are functioning and doing their job very well. Everything has gone smoothly.

Whitmore School response

Thank you for your 5 Star Review Scott!! So glad to hear our teachers are so responsive to your Son's posts.

Steve Ray

Original review: April 30, 2022

The enrollment experience at Whitmore was super easy. They've always been very responsive and quick, in giving me great information no matter how many times I asked the same questions. My child's enrolled in her first six credits through them. She's taken junior year classes like English 11, Anatomy and Physiology, US History, Government and Algebra. It's been fantastic. She's been very disciplined and moving through the classes at a good pace. I love that the teachers give their feedback and offer opportunities for revision, but she can master the content. We've gotten absolutely great service and quality of education for the cost. I would absolutely recommend Whitmore.

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for your wonderful review. So glad your daughter is doing so well. She is definitely dedicated to her studies, the activity calendar shows a great work ethic.

Whitmore School Company Information