2. Finance
  3. Credit Counseling

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.88/5

Struggling with Credit Card Debt?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Struggling with Credit Card Debt?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

CareOne Credit Counseling Reviews

Original review: July 6, 2019

The company has ripped me off and I will probably be out a couple thousand dollars. I've been paying and have records of so but yet my debt has not been settled and I have well over the amount to pay it. I called and got a human one time. She said there was plenty to pay it and return the rest and would be addressed in about a week. It's been nearly two months now. Money continues to come out and my bank can't or won't stop payments. It has to go through the company I guess. So 150 a month is coming out and I will never get it back? That doesn't seem right. How can I get them to answer my calls.

Original review: July 14, 2016

I used CareOne once before and had great success. In 2014 I started using them again. My biggest mistake ever. My accounts were all messed up. They gave my account to money management, and today (July 2016) I found out for the last 16 months (before Money Management) CareOne was taking money for an account they weren't even paying on. After Money Management and me got things straightened out today, I found out one of my husband's accounts hadn't received any money since October 2014. But the money had been taken from our checking on time every month. So where did the money go? We are out 648$. That now we have to pay again. If we did this we would be in big trouble. Someone needs to account for this wrong they have done us.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Counseling delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2016

I have been with CareOne since 2010 or 2011. I had debt of at least 12,000. 2 different credit cards. Everything they told me would happen did. They always helped me when I called. I have one more payment and I am done. Credit cards were mentioned that doesn't work with CareOne that's not true. I would recommend them for sure. I still got my statements from whom I had help with. You have take some responsibility for yourself. Thanks so much CareOne.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

I used CareOne in 2010 to relieve my debt, and it was a wonderful experience. Fast forward to 2015. and I will never ever use that company again. First and foremost, they did not disclose that credit card companies refuse to work with them anymore. Second, when I tried to settle through them, they did not send the payment to my creditors. I absolutely will not use them again. I also asked for an immediate refund, and I was told that it will take 7-10 business days, before I receive it. Um... They have almost $2600 of MY money! I advise anyone looking at this review to not choose CareOne, but to try to settle with your credit card company.

Original review: May 20, 2015

After reading several reviews and doing some research, it became quite apparent that I would rather try to do this myself. It took me a little while, but after I was done, I took the process I used to clean up my finances and turned them into a book/system to help others do it as well. Aside from "decoding" the consumer protection laws to help you understand what they mean, I also included several sample letters that will help guide you through the process, and the best part is that you are in control! If you are interested, check it out, google weathering debt and you will find it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about CareOne Credit Counseling?

Original review: April 22, 2015

Do not send account of your monies with proper history. Amount settled on minus payment w/ amount left. Received letter 6 months ago saying I had 6 payments left. Called and said I still owe 5. Ask for all accounts of my monies and was hung up on.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2015

We paid CareOne a $1,000 a month to make a deal with our credit card companies and pay them a reduced amount, after I lost my job. After a year absolutely Nothing got done. Every time I asked to talk with our "assigned" attorney, she wasn't available. We finally received a notice from our county court telling us one of the credit card companies was filing for a lien against our home. I contacted CareOne and sent a copy and was Assured they were going to block the lien in court. I never received any confirmation of what's going on so I call twice - the last time was the day before the court date to see what we were suppose to do if anything and they had not even responded to the court. We ended up just filing bankruptcy and will have to deal with the lien when we sell our home. I would sue CareOne if we had the finances to do so. It's totally a money thing to them. No help, no communication unless you call them, then you get a clerk at a desk telling you what they think you want to hear.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2014

Both my husband and I used Care One for debt accrued before we got married. Mine was for Credit Cards his was for collections (medical bills). He ended up canceling his account with them because he paid several thousand to a collections agency that sold his account to another and then disappeared. So none of the money went towards the debt. But Care One continued to send payments to a debunked collection agency for over a year without letting us know. They were also no help at all when we tried to recover the money. They kept acting like this never happens and that we were the only customers with this Creditor... I have a very hard time believing that when it was a collection for a medical bill from one of the largest hospitals in the US.

I ended up sticking with Care One, because they were saving me money on interest charges. My biggest beef with them is that they originally said it would take me less than 4 years to be debt free... in actuality it took over 5. I didn't add any new credit or creditors, paid every month on time and I even paid off creditors out side of the program when a balance got down to a couple hundred. I'm happy to finally almost be out of debt, and Care One did assist me, but be aware that their projections are way off and let's face it they want their monthly fee, and they are a business so they're going to want you in the program for as long as possible.

If I had it all to do over again I probably would have gone a different path. Also I'm an IT professional so I have to say it, their website is worse today than it was 5 years ago and don't get me started on how useless their smart phone app is. They have only lost functionality over the 5 years I've visited the site, no new advancements and some parts of the site are clearly broken... very unprofessional.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2014

After reading many different reviews, positive and negative but mostly negative, I felt the need to write a review. I have been with Care One since July of 2012. I had roughly $10K+ of debt. I had reached a point where I was getting nowhere with making the minimum payments through all my creditors, being that I maxed out credit cards and had high interest rates due to having little credit to no credit history. I was young and irresponsible, using money that was truly not mine to spend. I couldn't afford to make higher payments to all my creditors and it seemed that with the payments I made, the interest would overcome my payments every month.

Care One, from the beginning, explained everything very clearly to me and how whichever program I chose to do through them would impact my credit. I chose the program that took longer but didn't impact my credit as much. Care One sent out proposals to all my creditors and all but one accepted them and negotiated payments. They even negotiated forgiving me of a certain amount of interest I owed on certain creditors, along with lowering all of my interest rates for all my creditors.

Since I began the program and made my very first payment, payments were always made on time and always sent to the creditors. I ALWAYS double-checked my online statements and paper statements from all my creditors so that if something went wrong, I could catch it from the beginning. There has never been an issue. As I started paying off multiple creditors, I would email them asking to adjust my payments and allocate the payment amounts of the creditors I paid off to the rest of my creditors that were still open. They always replied within a day and adjust my payment allocations without error.

The key to this program through Care One is to keep up with it, dot your I's in a sense. Make sure the payments are being made, make sure your statements reflect those payments, and manually update your balances to ensure everything is accurate. The progression is slow at first but once you get started and see your debt swelling down, you feel relief and feel like you're on a path to becoming debt free.

Care One is a program that is there to ASSIST you, not do everything for you. Their fees are minimal and their service is reliable. I pay $20 per month to Care One for their service fee, which is nothing to me compared to all the money they have saved me by lowering my interest rates and negotiating interest accrued. I have 3 months left on my program, and to this day, Care One has been flawless. My credit is amazing, and I owe this review at the least to Care One for that. They want to help and they will help, as long as people realize that they are merely HELP, and becoming debt free is ultimately your responsibility.

Original review: July 4, 2014

Believed that I was paying my debit off. Estimated I only had 6 months to pay it off. Ran credit report found out that it was more than the six payments but delinquent. According to cash call my balance was twice what I owed. Paid it off. Went to check my program report, couldn't access my emails to the program after I paid off debit to cash call. The other creditors that I had paid off had a check mark by them. Cash call was no longer listed as though it had never been a creditor. Program doesn't keep up with current balances. Beware. I ended up paying more than 100 percent of the loan because of this. Took out $2600.00 ended up paying $4500.00 for ten months.

Not sure about CareOne Credit Counseling?

Struggling with credit card debt? Get matched with a debt relief provider today.

CareOne Credit Counseling Company Information