Struggling with Credit Card Debt?

Get relief and reduce what you owe

Debt Relief Options
Afni
1.29/5

Afni

Struggling with Credit Card Debt?

Get relief and reduce what you owe

Debt Relief Options

228 Afni Consumer Reviews

Original review: Oct. 3, 2015

Called in about the notice I got from this company. Lady introduced herself by the name of Dianna, all she cared about was to tell me how much I owed the company, that "this what shows and give me your credit card or debit card and will collect the balance." Told her I am not paying because I disagree with the amount. She could not stop talking, would not listen to my end - how and why I disagree. She kept on cutting me off and was very disrespectful, very temperamental and after stating what she had to see quick to cut me off. Their customer reps are very poor in communication, they need more training!! WATCH OUT FOR THEM!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2015

Everything I have read on here which is for the most part very accurate is missing one key in the Afni and other huge companies cog that do this thing. If all this isn't true and bad enough, this company outsources a ton of jobs to the Philippines. Now that might be a big deal or a small deal but here's the real big problem. I tried to get a job at my local Afni in Tucson, AZ and they actually outsource the verification and background checks on potential employees. Think about that. I had people calling from the Philippines harassing former employers and my high school I attended ten years ago trying to verify all my personal information. Why outsource this to another country? On top of that, I know for a fact Afni sells its clients, customers, and employees information outright to other companies. Trust me the rabbit hole is much deeper than meets the eye and they aren't the only ones doing it. Our personal information is out there people.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2015

I just checked my credit report and AFNI is on there messing up my score. I am contacting my Attorney, I need this off my report. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2015

I have received a couple of calls from Afni saying that I owe $923 to State Farm Insurance. Apparently my dog got hit across the street. First of all I didn't own no dogs at the time. The address they give me was a previous address. I tried many times to explain and they were really rude. I thought it was a scam but now I received a letter from them saying that if I don't pay it can result in the suspension of driving or registration privileges. I don't know what to do, but they're not getting any money from me.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2015

I am not familiar with how things work in the debt collection world and how it affects your credit still after paying the debt. A guy named Brandon treated me horribly because I had questions. When I ask to explain something for me and all you say is, "It's exactly how it sounds," obviously you're trying to an **. After getting hung up on the first time this is what I dealt with. I asked for a letter saying I paid my debt. He gave me the wrong directions and proceeds to be an ** when all I was trying to do is get some questions answered. Telling me, "Oh, this must be your first time dealing with our company." His customer service sucks and he deserves to be fired.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AFNI?

Original review: July 22, 2015

We, too, have been getting notices from Afni saying we owe AT&T $95.44. They will not tell us what the bill was for, when it was for, and where it was for - though we sent a certified letter telling them that if they contacted us again, they would have to show us in full the itemized bill. A few years ago, we had an AT&T landline when we lived in Florida. The bills were all paid, by automatic payment through our checking account. I did not keep the phone bills - are we really supposed to keep phone bills that are between three and fifteen years old? Now AT&T claims not to have any records of our account in their system, but I know all bills were paid in full. AT&T is absolutely NO help in this. No wonder scammers are so quick to use them!

Now Afni wants all our personal information, Social Security number, driver's license, etc, etc! They are telling me that a report must be filed claiming identity theft. But it's outrageous to be told to give out personal information in this way, and still without any idea of what the supposed "bill" actually is!!! I'm at my wits' end. I am not going to send any personal information out! Any advice you can give will be much appreciated. This company should be shut down.

Original review: July 14, 2015

Received a collection notice from Dish Network from three years ago. I paid the bill and have an email from Dish. But I can't find the tracking info for the return of the modem that my realtor sent. This is a scam. Has anyone figured out the proper way to file a complaint against them? This is ridiculous!

Original review: June 29, 2015

Can anyone help? Afni has sent a bill for 208.00 for an AT&T account never had and have put this on my credit score as outstanding debt. I have read many account of this happening with a lot of people. If there is a class action case going on someone please send me the info. It is time to stop this kind of thing from happening to us.

Original review: June 23, 2015

They are listed on my credit report through Karma Credit and I have no idea what bill they're trying to stick me with because I can't get any information from these people who are destroying my credit rating! Guess I should be filing for the class action suit that has been filed against the AFNI collectors.

Original review: June 18, 2015

About 2 weeks ago I received a letter for the first time from a company named Afni. I opened it and read it and it stated that they are a collection company and I owe money for an old cell phone bill. I called them and explained to them that I do not owe any money for the cell phone bill that they are trying to collect on. That bill was paid many years ago more than 10 to be exact and I have since gotten a new cell phone with a new company. They are mistaken and I do not owe. I also asked her why if I owed this money for so long, why are they now just sending me a letter? She asked me why I was just calling them now. I told her because I never received a letter before this day. She told me that they have been sending letters all along. I told her that they have not been sending letters and this one was the first I've seen.

She proceeded to explain to me that they are to collect this debt and I proceeded to explain to her I do not owe a bill. It was satisfied more than 10 years ago when I switched over to my new company. The conversation escalated to an argument with me telling her I was not paying it again and that I paid it and she wanted to know what date it was paid on. It was more than 10 years ago. I do not remember the date. I no longer have receipts for bills 10 years or older. I again told her I was not paying for something I had already paid for and that was the end of it. She insisted that I pay for it and I could pay the bill over the phone. I strongly told her again. I am not paying for something I already paid for and I hung up.

Just this past Tuesday June 16, 2015 I received yet another letter stating they are trying to collect a debt and listed a bunch of phone numbers to call and below their Sincerely, Afni, Inc is a sentence that states this.. "The law limits how long you can be sued on a debt. Because of the age of your debt, we will not sue you for it." That didn't even sound legitimate. The entire letter does not even look professional. They also attached a copy of a bill. Not a LATE bill, just a copy of what appears to be a scanned copy from one of my old phone bills.

Again nothing on the bill stating it's late. This copy of this bill they sent is from October 2004. This company is a SCAM. I am not paying for something I already paid for over 10 years ago. Why am I just now getting these letters?? I look at my credit report all the time and nothing has ever been posted that I have collections with this company for this bill. Because it was paid for over 10 years ago!!! Scam. Scam. Scam!!!!!!!!!!

Original review: June 9, 2015

I received two letters from AFNI over the course of two months stating I have a delinquent AT&T account from several years ago. When I asked them to provide me with the AT&T account number they show in my name, they provide me with a different account number than the one I had. I kept and still have my final bill from AT&T showing a ZERO balance so I know nothing was ever turned over to a debt collection company!

Original review: May 16, 2015

First let me start by saying this company needs to be put out of business. If a class action suit is ever filed against this company I will be more than happy to give any attorney my information. I had an account with US Cellular which was filed in and discharge in bankruptcy in 2012. This company placed this account on my credit in 2013 after they had already been advised by me of the bankruptcy. I disputed this account with the credit agencies and they still did not remove it.

Here we are now in 2015 after several phone calls to them the customer service rep told me they submitted a request to remove the account from my report which was a bold face lie. I have filed a complaint against them with the Better Business Bureau to which they have until 5/21 to respond. When you enter this company's name in Google search nothing but negative reviews and complaint come up. Why are they still in business?

Original review: April 20, 2015

I got a letter from Afni. Inc. about a debt with AT&T Mobility. I contacted Afni, to inform that I do not owe any money to AT&T Mobility, I disputed this collection in writing and on the phone with Afni. I requested Afni to provide me with documentation validating this debt. They did not provide anything proving that I owe this debt. Knowing the fact that I am in dispute with them, they illegally reported this collection to my credit reports, violating the FCRA. Afni's business methods are not honest and by law. I will take them to court if I don't get this resolved. Anybody out there having issues with Afni, INC. PLEASE SHARE YOUR STORY. WE CAN MAKE CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST THESE ILLEGAL BUSINESS DOINGS.

Original review: March 28, 2015

My bill was paid in full to DirecTV. Afni Inc mailed letters to a different address to resident with similar name, and made a collection entry to my credit bureaus. After several phone calls and confirmations from DirecTV that the account is paid in full - they refused to delete their false collection entry.

Original review: March 23, 2015

I received 2 different letters today from Afni. Both letters stated I owe a bill for Verizon of 165.00 and the other bill from Verizon for 86.00. Somehow they had changed the dates of when the Verizon account was really opened, so I checked my accounts with Transunion and Equifax. I saw it in Equifax it wasn't in there a month ago. Anyways, they stating that Verizon was open in 2012. I opened up an account with Verizon in 2001, 2002. These bill is really old. Somehow they had changed the actual date of when this account was opened. These people is frauds and scam artist. The last time I heard from Verizon was 2005, 2006. Now, here it is 3-23-2015, out of the blue I'm receiving a letter from Afni and now on my credit report with this really old bill.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2015

I called to talk about my overdue account from USCellular which had been turned over to Afni. Matt, who I talked to was very polite and very helpful. He understood the frustration I have dealt with in trying to resolve this problem with USCellular, which I would never recommend to anyone. They do not honor their contracts or they have crooks working in their stores.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2015

My parents received a letter for cell phone service for a Sprint account, which is not theirs! I tried talking to this company & she (Daniela) was rude & very pushy! And of no help at all!!! She was determined to get money, and kept saying it's you, it's you!!! This bill is NOT my parents bill!! To "try" to fix this, they want all my parents' personal information, get a police report, proof of residency, to prove that this is not their bill! First the address is not theirs, the names on bill are not the same, but somehow they got the last four numbers of my mother's social security number correct.

My mother has only had one cell phone (for 10 years!!) and that is with Team Mobile... no one else - ever! Giving these morons her and my father's personal information is just an easy way for identify theft... I called Sprint and they said they cannot help us, since this has been turned over to a collection agency! There is no help for us or anyone else, when these collection agency engage in predatory practices and this should be against the law!!! We are not paying this bill!! Even if we have to spend money going to an attorney! Something needs to be done to help law abiding, bill paying citizens of America!!!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2014

I got letters from them multiple times saying they gonna take action against to me. I talk to a lady name Carrie and she was snotty when talking to me saying "you need to take your income tax and pay us the full amount you owe", to me all the representatives were rude and mean and claim to me they wanna help me but they was pressuring me and trying to get my credit card number. I called and set up payment arrangements you did I thought they would understand I didn't have the money that day. I asked for an extension they said "you default and you owe full amount." They are no help at all - mean, rude, snotty people.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2014

I got a debt collection bill from Afni in Bloomington, IL. They say I owe AT&T U-Verse some money for a place in Lansing, MI that I NEVER lived. They say I lived at **. I NEVER lived there. I lived at ** during Dec. 2010. I sent them a letter of dispute and proof that I never lived at **. I sent them a copy of my MI ID and Lease which proves where I lived. They are trying to put it on my credit reports, but it's not my bill.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2014

I have been getting phone calls from Afni for 3 weeks now. I answered the call today and was first told the call was being recorded and the next question was what was the last 4 digits of my social security. I refused to give this info to the person who then asked what was my date of birth and refused and asked what was this about. He proceeded to tell me he was an collection agency working with DirecTV attempting to collect $300.00 that was due. The only problem was I have never had DirecTV, and the address to which the bill is for is across the street from me. What worried me was he knew my name and then proceeded to tell me the last 4 digits of my social security and date of birth and said that I had had DirecTV from 2011 to 2012. First of all I said I have never had DirecTV dish, and second of all I do not nor have I ever resided at the address across the street from me. He said that I had to call DirecTV dish and handle it with them. My main concern is this person has my personal info. Is there anything I can do?

Original review: June 28, 2014

In October 2012, I attempted to open a new account with Dishnet to receive satellite tv/internet bundled services. The tv part went fine, but the internet service went totally wacko. The phone rep for Dishnet said we needed to pay $95.00 upfront for their internet service so I used my debit card. So he then gave me all the info for my new internet service with a company called Century Link. Next thing you know I was discovering that Century Link was formerly Quest, and there is a need to use your home phone lines to get the internet though them. Since I had used Quest unsuccessfully in the past, I knew not to use Century Link, new name or not. And hey, what happened to Dishnet? Come to find out, the sales rep had pocketed our upfront money, and then he had called Century Link claiming to be my boyfriend and ordered our internet service with them. I called Century Link immediately, and explained it all, dealt with some doubtful sounding phone reps, who took care of cancelling out Century Link, since I would not be able to use that type of service, since I have no installed phone lines at all in my house, and it went smoothly enough. That was then, this is now.

Two months ago I suddenly receive a letter in the mail from some never heard from company called Afni claiming I owed $450.00 because of an unpaid bill with Century Link. The statement of, "I have never had a Century Link account, and cannot use that type of internet service because I have no installed working phone lines in my house, and the Century Link's phone rep's statement, "that account number does not match your name or address in any way" suddenly is not good enough for this Afni bunch of clowns. They have now decided it is a valid account that $450.00 is owed on and is mine to collect from. Absolutely nothing else has been done on their part to assist in showing it's not my account, nor have I heard further back from Afni on my requests for proof and documents, etc.

But now today, I have discovered, on the day I was supposed to be approved for a home improvement loan, that this has been sent to the big three credit reporting agencies, and my credit is now not good enough for the loan I had applied for. Even though it's not mine, and I have not had the appropriate and legal processes done, by this Afni bunch of clowns... and still have heard nothing further from them. What is their malfunctions?? Sure messed up my summer home improvement plans for no apparent reasons.

Original review: June 16, 2014

I received a letter from them and called them 4 times today but no one picked up. Bogus, attempt to collect money and made fake threats on their letter.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2014

I had just started my training. I had 2 days off in a row. At 1am of my first day of my day off, I had to be taken to the emergency room because I was bleeding heavily (I am pregnant, which my employer knew full well). On my second day of, I went to my OB to be checked out. She said I needed to go to a high risk pregnancy specialist right away, and scheduled an appointment for me for the next day. I did have training the next day, so I called in to Afni to let them know if the situation. 2 different women there (including one being the HR Director!) all but called me a liar, and even the HR director asked me if it was my first pregnancy. When I told her yes, she said she thought I was being paranoid and that it probably wasn't as serious as I thought and that I should just come to work and go to an appointment later.

She kept stating that I should be going to appointments on my days off, and did not seem to understand even though I told her numerous times that the specialist appointment I had was not scheduled. I told her I would much rather be at work than at a specialist, because that meant that my pregnancy was ok and not in danger. She continued to belittle me and tell me that I was being overly paranoid, then she started to interrupt me every time I try to talk and at the end of the conversation was raising her voice at me. Afni had no morals; all they care about is money. Their employees, nor their employees welfare, is not a concern to them. And, they only post $9.50/hr!

Original review: Jan. 16, 2014

I was sent a collection notice and I have never had an account with the creditor, AT&T. I called AT&T and they said I don't owe them anything. This Afni company is a fraud. I have called and they had me on hold for an hour and no one pick up my call.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2014

AFNI has called my residence in TN several times for a person with a different first name but the same last t name. I complied with their phone prompts to let them know that that person didn't live here. Finally, I called the number back and got hold of one of their representatives and she said she would have my number removed. She was helpful for this.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2014

On 12/25/13, I received a collection letter from AFNI collection agency about an unpaid Dish Network account. I do not have nor have I ever had a Dish Network account. The amount AFNI says is due is $440.13 and they threatened to contact credit bureaus if I didn't pay within 30 days. I have contacted Dish Network via e-mail to request verification that I have never had an account with them. I've read online that you have to spend a lot of time to deal with this type of scam - or risk your credit rating. This is just ridiculous! If this is the type of company that Dish Network deals with, I will never establish an account with them and hope that no one else does either.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2013

My daughter was in an accident in CA while there with her husband in the Air Force. She never heard anything from the other driver's insurance (State Farm), but several months after the accident, she began receiving harassing calls from AFNI stating that they were State Farm and that she owed them over 4k dollars for the accident. My daughter contacted State Farm, as did I, and they have told her and me also that they do not use collection agencies to collect money for them, and that my daughter does not owe them anything. We had insurance at the time of the accident but our insurance co. dropped us and refused to pay anything for her accident (we are currently filing suit against the insurance company, as this is illegal). But I was told by a State Farm agent that these types of issues were covered by uninsured motorist fees that everyone pays, and that State Farm would not come after us for owing any money for the accident.

We have sent debt validation requests and other letters to AFNI to try to get them to prove that she owes what they say, to no avail. The most they sent was a very poor copy of an insurance estimate (which doesn't even match the amount they say she owes), and some copies of pictures. This is NOT validation of the debt, especially when there was no contact to her by State Farm at all, and State Farm tells us she doesn't owe the money. They have threatened to have her license and registration suspended, and also to sue her. I don't know what it will take to get these folks to stop acting illegally.

I shudder to think of how many people they have scared into paying money they didn't really owe, and probably laughing about it as soon as they are off the phone. I'm not sure how we will end this, but I am seriously considering hiring a consumer protection lawyer and suing AFNI myself. I understand there are other people in the same situation as us, and it irks me that a company would try to harass and scare a young woman just out on her own to try to get money that they aren't due. If anyone would like to join forces with me to sue AFNI, I would be more than willing to group up to put this fraudulent company out of business!!

Original review: July 1, 2013

I received a collection threatening letter from this company listing the insured as a relative to the person who caused the accident (accident on 05/2011 settled 11/12). It appears Daddy may want his deductible back for the accident his son caused. Driver was cited for failure to avoid an accident. I'm sending my insurance after them and then my lawyer.

Original review: June 22, 2013

T-Mobile gave me a $1,008 bill for one month. I’m not sure why, but I refused to pay. Eight years later, I see this company bought the negative collection account and is still reporting it as if I just got the bill two years ago. Negative accounts drop in 7 years, so they are breaking the law. I am going to report this to the FCC.

Original review: May 2, 2013

Nothing has been done. I get Heidi, who wants to explain everything to me, again and again. I've worked in debt collections and this company is not practicing fair debt collection. Then I get Janet, who is supposedly Heidi's supervisor, though you wouldn't know it. Both are very unprofessional and when I tried to contact Afni, the line stated that there was not enough people to cover the incoming calls so I would need to try again later. It hung up. I've had it with this company. I'm taking steps now to contact my attorney general here to stop the calls. I've asked for a mailing address as well so that I can send this in writing, but also searching on net isn't giving me much. This company is awful. I've been forced to take steps to stop them from calling since my request are ignored and then outright denied by yet again, Heidi.

Afni Company Information