Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.55/5

Comenity Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

First, let me say, the actual retailer I order my items from is great but the company they use for Opening a credit line (Credit Card), Comenity, I absolutely despise. I opened my account in Dec. I received my Bill Dec. 28, 2020. The due date was 11 Jan. 2021. I mail the full amount to them on Jan 5, 2021. Today (Jan 25, 2025), I received a new statement, stating I owed them $ 32.13 ($ 29.00 late fee and then another $ 3.13 in interest). I immediately called them and they informed me that the check didn't post to my account until the 12th of Jan, and since it was due on the 11th, it was late (they got their money the day they posted it to my account per my bank statements).

I was then told I should have known it could take up to 14 days for them to get the payment by mail. I immediately paid the entire amount while on the call to Comenity, and stayed on the phone till I received confirmation they got the payment, they did. I immediately told them to close my account, which they said they did. I asked for the closed account confirmation number and was informed I would receive it via mail in a letter. My response was, "Oh, so I should expect to wait 14 days to get the letter." The individual on the other end informed me that I would receive my letter with 7 business days. So... If I don't receive my letter within the time frame they said, can I charge them a late fee along with interest? It is my opinion that COMENITY has some serious unethical business practices and should be closely scrutinized by a legal authority for the shady business practice.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

I've had a Comenity retail credit card for many years. I've used it and paid it off throughout the years, w/o any issue. In that past 12 months, with the pandemic, I've not had a need to purchase items from the related clothing retail store. I received a message from them stating, if I don't use the card, they're going to close the account. I reached out to ask why they would threaten an account in good standing if they don't purchase something (that at this time is not needed) and their response was, "We haven't closed your account, but if you don't purchase something, we will." Closing people accounts, regardless of use, has an impact on that person's credit score. I want to make sure others are aware of this bank's behavior. I would NOT recommend a card with this bank, unless you're ok with being bullied to purchase unnecessary items.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Complete scam! I just opened this card and they are claiming my first payment was returned by my bank, completely untrue which my bank confirmed! Charged me nearly $200 in fees and reported me to 4 credit bureaus within 8 days of the payment I made without even notifying of this completely untrue problem or trying to resolve it. They have refused to try to resolve the issue. I have now reported them to the 6 agencies that regulate Comenity Capital Bank but in the meantime they have ruined my credit for absolutely no reason, lied to me repeatedly, and still have yet to even mail me a statement or resolve the issue.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

Comenity is useless by every imaginable way as a credit card company. I was a Pier One store card user as it was beneficial for the purchases in store. When Pier One closed My store card closed not too much later. I ran across the opportunity to join with Comenity which serviced the Pier One account that was recently closed. My problems started when they put my account on hold for 90 day because I incorrectly left off one digit when entering my checking account to pay my bill. I did catch my own mistake prior to the due date and my payment was made and the account information was now all set for the future. Again, my account was never late.

I was charged 29.00 for my mistake because they electronically tried the transaction. I recently looked at my account and it showed no credit.... They put my account on hold for 90 day!!! Lol. I tried to call on two separate dates to speak to someone who might want to keep a customer. They denied that they were able to help me. I finally closed this account as they refused to do anything. Will never recommend this company to anyone that wants to be treated like a real customer. They don't care about their customers. They lost me charging 50-60k a year on this card. Don't ever consider Comenity Bank. Too many other companies that show way better customer support.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

From the beginning, this bank made it difficult to access my account information. No card was sent home, so registering for online access was a pain. Then they stopped offering the Wayfair card, so the account could no longer be accessed from the wayfair site. Trying to talk to a customer service representative was an exercise in frustration, with huge wait times. Then to top it off, they charged me a late fee for a bill paid ON TIME, but after 6pm on the due date. I've dealt with many credit cards over my lifetime and have never had a bank that cared when it was paid. I emailed them and they said they would not remove the late fee, despite the fact it was paid only 45 minutes after the time it said on the website. Mind you, there were NO mention of times on the bill they sent to my house. I paid off my account and will never again accept a card issued by this shady bank that takes advantage of people.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I have had a Comenity card for years. I used to have a due date of the 3rd of every month but I thought my payment was due on the 5th, which is the same day another card is due. I called them and got the payment rescheduled for the 5th once I figured out what was going on. I have always paid on time and above what the minimum balance is and I've always been able to pay off my balances quickly.

Tonight when I called to make a payment, the total due was more than the month before! I listened to the recording and it said if your payment was made after 6:00 p.m., it would be credited to my account the next business day. They literally said the payment will post to my account tomorrow. So they've been charging me late fees all these months and I had no idea! I don't read my statements because I know how much I've charged, when it's due and what is due.

In November they charged me $29 even though I paid on the 5th. In December they charged me $35 even though I paid on the 5th. This is not right. Comenity have ruined my credit when I have paid according to terms. I have always operated this way and it's never been a problem before, so I don't know why it's a problem now. I think I'm going to contact my representatives and see if I can get them to do something about this. Card companies should not be able to do this to you if you pay on the due date. I've read the reviews and everyone says their CS is awful. I them to each them tonight, but you have to call before 8:00 p.m.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

They charge interest from the beginning. No matter the promotion of 10 months without interest. I called and they said it was my fault. Do not apply for this if you don't want to end up paying triple for the items you're buying.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

This “bank” should be investigated. Just look at all the bad reviews. They opened a card fraudulently with my information, never checked for employment history or even address history. The cardholder then racked up over $11 K in purchases in my name. That was in 2018. I didn’t find out until late 2020 when I tried to get a legitimate credit card and was denied! Now I cannot get credit and I am the one who must prove that fraud was committed. This has been a nightmare at a time when I really need credit to survive.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I tried for 9 months to straighten out my account. They are horrible! I kept setting up auto pay with someone from Comenity walking me through it twice. They took my off auto pay and started charging me $39 a month late fee and a finance change of $17+ every month! They refused to let me hear the recordings of the previous phone calls which would verify my enrollment. I will NEVER work with Toyota or Comenity again and you should not either!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I used their BJs credit card for quite some time. Recently I got a new card and when I tried to activate it through their automatic phone system, it would not activate as my SSN did not match with its records. At any point in time, I did not request any change in SSN number. When I spoke with the Customer care, the Rep confirmed that my SSN number was different in the record. I asked her how could my SSN number get changed by itself. She said she will try to fix it on the phone but could not override it. She reached out to her superiors and then got back to me and said I need to send documents and photo copies to them through mail to confirm my SSN and identity.

I was with her on the phone for almost an hour (after waiting for long time to get connected) and at the end this was the result. They did not give any explanation why and how my SSN got changed in their system in the first place. And in the end they want me to send them all the documents to correct the mistake they have created. How can I trust them with more personnel data when they have no explanation why they could not secure my SSN in the first place? I decided to cancel my card.

Comenity Company Information