3.5/5 (411 ratings)

About Comenity

Comenity Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

This is the most appalling, atrocious, shady company you will ever deal with. I have waited over two hours on hold to speak to a manager, we had to file a complaint with a supervisor named "Robyn" so who said they're "a huge bank and never have had a customer with the online issues I've experienced" accusing me of being a "condescending liar". This not only was immature comment especially coming from a manager, it was absolutely appalling. She also claimed that they're a "huge bank" but then later said "when you file your complaint about me you only need my first name because I'm the only Robyn in the organization." Hmmmm let's think about that one again.

Year to date we still haven't been able to get our issues resolved. Hold time on average is 2 hours, which two managers have admitted this is bad customer care on their end. They charge you a $9 fee on the phone to make payments even when their website is down and there is no other way to make a payment. They're also "such a HUGE BANK" that they don't have an APP whatsoever. THIS IS A VERY SCARY, SHADY and UNPROFESSIONAL COMPANY. By the way if your credit card sold you off to this shady company, they are giving all new customers a 60-day window until they bump up your interest rate to 15% (only one honest manager admitted this). STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

I wish I can give negative ratings or zero stars. I have been using bank/card services with so many banks and Comenity is definitely the WORST I have ever seen. They issued Ikea credit cards rewards through certificates at the end of the monthly statement without notifying and there are short windows for you to use them before they expire. When I figured it out, six certificates already been expired and they refused to re-issue. Fine, I paid for my fault. Then I got three certificates from the July statement, $15 each and $45 in total, which will be expired on 10/31.

However, no matter we went to the store to use them or tried online, showing they are invalid certificates. Called customer service back and forth, wasted TWO HOURS, and they are not able to resolve the issues and kicking me to Ikea customer service. But seriously, how could Ikea customer service know how to deal with it since the certificates are issued by the bank (verified other certificates for other month statements worked which means not Ikea system issue). They tried to kick me again to Ikea after I re-called and I asked to speak to the supervisor. Another ONE HOUR, not resolved. SPEECHLESS... Please definitely avoid this bank in the future!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

Opened a new credit card with BOSCOV's, issued through COMENITY Capital Bank. The statement arrived by mail after the billing due date. Contacted the bank by phone, made payment using my NFCU Debit Card and was assured payment was accepted but was not given a confirmation number. The payment, never processed. I called again after receiving another bill with Late fee and finance charges. Called bank again to resolve and was told they had an electronic glitch on that particular day and to wait for a corrected statement. Received an acknowledging letter claiming resolution was being reviewed, wait for a corrected statement...never came. Got a text message to call bank.. They denied claim and charged me an additional late fee. They claim my DEBIT CARD with NFCU was invalid and it was my fault...NOT TRUE.

I have over 800 Credit Score, I pay my bills on time and dispute any discrepancies with organizations that proport late or grace period deficiencies.
This COMENITY BANK and its Service Department is having problems with their automation and they are kiting the cost and my CREDIT.

If anyone who reads this is contemplating Class action lawsuit to recapture their overcharges and Credit rating, please contact me, I'm in and its a darn shame but I'll be boycotting BOSCOV's stores..Their Credit Card Vendor is BOGUS!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2022

We had a AAA Visa Card for 15 years through Bank of America. Without notice and from one day to the next, I was locked out of my B of A online account. B of A had no idea why and thought it was a technical issue, so they wrote up a ticket to have our account reviewed. The next day, they informed me the credit card had been transferred to some no name bank (Comenity Bank). My payment was due in a few days, so I had to speak with someone at Comenity. After an hour hold (and automated nightmare), I spoke with a VERY rude woman that was willing to take my payment, but only if I agreed to a $10 charge - despite my explaining to her that we were never sent new credit cards/new account information, nor any notice of the change.

Furious with her attitude, I hung up, but then realized, I’d better make the payment on time instead of dealing with a late fee and any other penalties this bank might impose. I had to wait another hour to get someone back on the line to make the payment - but only a partial payment, because they can only take $10k per day. The next day, I had to hold another hour to make the additional payment. Unbelievable! A week has gone by, and we have yet to receive any account information or new credit cards. More worrisome, I received an email today that does not reflect my payment, yet it was immediately withdrawn from my bank. It also indicated that I can now set up an online account - how am I going to do that without any account information? We expected more from AAA and will be closing the account.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2022

Recently, AAA moved their Visa card from Bank of America to Comenity and it has been nothing but a total failure. The user confirmation tools on their website do not work. I have reported this to the Comenity technical folks and they claim it has been resolved, but the issue still remains. Payments to Comenity from my bank's bill pay service never go through (they've gone through flawlessly for over 10 years to every other creditor). Comenity wants payments made through their site, but I use my bank's bill pay for security and convenience--there is absolutely NOTHING convenient about having to log into the one oddball company that refuse to work with the rest of the world. At this point, $700 in payments (verified by my bank) is lost somewhere in Comenity's little lost world. I don't know why AAA would go from a dependable company to such an undependable one, but we will be canceling this card and moving to a much more reputable provider.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

Had a poor experience with this bank. Their website was down and I was not able to make a payment. Received late payment fee that I was informed was removed but received a bill a month later. I spoke with a manager that was unwilling to remove the fee after cancelling the card. Never had this type of customer service with any other credit card company.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

I registered and was approved for an Ikea credit card. The temporary shopping pass was not provided to me. When trying to call to resolve this issue the customer service kept stonewalling me by transferring me to Ikea which left them confused. Strongly suspect that this is done on purpose as no one registers for credit cards in advance these days.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

Paid 2 payments in June and July 2022 and still haven’t received credit. Finally got my bank involved and they tell me it will be at least 90 days of review. I have a credit score of 870 so I don’t take my bills lightly. They are the absolute worst ever.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2022

We had a BOA AAA Visa account for more than 30 years. The recent change over to Comenity Bank was a total nightmare. Their automated "customer service" phone lines just get you into an endless do-loop and I was never able to activate the new Visa card they sent. It took me dozens of attempts to finally connect with a living human being who was finally able to activate my card. A day later when I tried to access our Visa account on their website it didn't recognize our account number and other information. In desperation I finally opened a Visa account with USAA, where I was served start to finish by a real human being... Should have made the switch LONG ago.

I then tried to close our Comenity Visa account and had the same frustrating go around with their automated "customer service." Again, after multiple attempts and endless purgatories of being on hold I finally connected with a real human being (who was working from home, accompanied by her barking dog and someone shouting in the background). When I told her I wanted to close our Visa account (which had only been activated less than a week before) she informed me that it was already closed... ON 13 DECEMBER 2020!!!

She confirmed that the account number which her system said was already closed was the same "new" account number on the Visa card Comenity sent me a month ago. So, according to Comenity they had already closed an account 22 months BEFORE sending me a new Visa card for that same account. I can only conclude that Comenity Bank has gone "Back to the Future!" That said, I STRONGLY advise anyone holding any financial relationship with Comenity Bank to drop them like a hot potato! I rate them with one star because that is the lowest choice available, but if I could I would award them a negative five stars.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2022

I have held a AAA Credit Card since 2013 through Bank of America. Well, BoA decided my and many other's business wasn't valuable, so they dumped us into the dumpster fire that is Comenity Bank. Wow, what a pile of trash. First day on the site, I had to go through some rigamarole to set my account up. I log in, and the thousands of points I had saved up had been slashed to a measly value of $50.00. I decided to click and see what rewards I could hope to earn. The website went to a 404 Error.

Well, you can't check your credit score like you could with BoA. Their 2 Factor Authentication didn't send my email or text code for updating my info. I couldn't tell when my due date was. I began to worry. My face looked like the Fry meme, where his eyes are narrowed. It was at that moment I knew I had been lured into a trap and the only way out was through my wallet. Tunnel vision set in as I frantically Googled reviews. Oh no. These clowns have cornered the market on store credit cards, luring in shoppers who want to "Earn rewards" and "save big" by using their cards. Sadly, the rewards will probably never come. Then I clicked on their Facebook. Comment after comment about late fees, rude reps, and extra costs to pay off your card over the phone.

This card is an insult. This card reminds me of living in a penthouse [my AAA card] and then suddenly you've woken up and you're in a seedy trailer park somewhere trying to avoid the bums asking for money. I am so excited, though- my resolve has never been stronger. I've already cut the card up and make little payments here and there. So, thanks, Comenity- you really drive home the point that credit cards are the devil!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

After holding the AAA Bank America VISA for 20 years, I am horrified with the Comenity replacement. The company is ill-prepared for this transfer. The customer service rep was arrogant and condescending. I asked to please cancel the account, but I see no evidence of this happening yet. I still have multiple unclear purchases called "Bread Crumb Trail" (the rep thought I was an idiot for not knowing what these charges were by memory - 3 people use this account). All I want is to be done with this company and AAA, but I feel stuck now. I refuse to call back. IF you do not yet have the AAA travel card, go elsewhere!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

I've been a AAA Visa Card holder for years. Recently AAA informed us that they are moving my VISA from Bank of America to Comenity Bank. This transition has been a disaster. Issues: 1) Unable to successfully activate new credit cards (I have 4 on one account), 2) Unable to successfully create an account on Comenity site. Called customer service - they were NOT helpful. After waiting on hold, they said issue should be fixed - but it was not, cards do not work. I am done, time to cancel and get a Visa from a company that is competent. Note - I have worked in IT for over 30 years - there is no excuse for this.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2022

Comenity credit card has the worse customer care service that I have ever experienced. I waited 2.5 hours on hold before I actually got to talk to someone, and then I could barely hear or understand the person. I was afraid the call was going to disconnect. Yes, the representative did finally take care of my issue, but 2.5 hours??!! Comenity is always having computer issues that seem to take months to resolve. BJs needs to change credit card companies. Don't sign up for a BJs card until they do.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

No app… Website down constantly… AAA switch from Bank of America visa to Comenity visa without any notice then all the sudden I was stuck. I couldn’t access my Bank of America app and account nor being able to access Comenity website and I was surprised that they don’t even have an app for their customers. I’m also blaming AAA for this mess.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

I cannot rate this business low enough. I have this company for two store cards, and I really regret it. I have had one card since roughly 2015, made payments on time consistently, and since they've been bought by Bread Financial I have had nothing but problems. They keep moving due dates around for one card, calling multiple times a day claiming we are behind, once claiming we owed three months of payment and we weren't behind at all. My other credit line said they were sending me a new card when I lost my current one. They didn't, and I was without a card for actual years. I requested a new one several times, and the same thing always happened.

It worked okay because I could pay and access credit in store, but when they were bought by Bread Financial they had tons of issues. I couldn't pay or use my card because the in store system was down, but customer service didn't tell me this, only hounded me for payment. They assured me once I paid them I could access the credit line in store. I spent hours on the phone in store with their store help line before I learned it was a system issue. So whether they realized it or not, customer service lied to me for over a week.

I finally got a card, but no thanks to customer service. As it turns out, they tell you they ordered a new card and don't, because the in store line said there was no card ordered for me in the system. I continue to have issues with them saying I owe money when I don't. They pass off every issue to the customer and it is unacceptable how I have been a good customer for a long time, but it means absolutely nothing. I have filed formal complaints and nothing has happened. They mostly back store credit cards, so stay away and research who the bank is before you open any. It is not worth the convenience, because you will spend way more time on the phone with customer service and whatever bad information they have hounding you for money you don't owe than convenience is worth.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2022

I have many credit cards with Comenity. NY&Co was having technical issues and my payment didn't go through. It took Comenity 90 days to complete their "investigation" just for them to say they aren't going to give me back the return fee. Comenity is trash and I will no longer be using any of my cards with them. Lost a valuable costumer because of their error.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2022

Comenity Bank is awful. I have a few cards thru them and let me say they are just horrible. I've had Victoria's Secret for almost 2 yrs, never missed a payment on it or any of my cards for that matter. I always pay early but this card I started out with 150 cl and now I'm down to 50 bucks they have continued to decrease my limit because my credit score has dropped down some. And now the same thing with the Sephora card. I had 250 cl. It's been paid up for 3 months. Victoria's Secret has been paid up for a while as well. I did use them both here and there and paid them up before they decided to do this crap.

Oh and I just checked Sephora has dropped down to 100 cl. Are you kidding me. They do not care about their loyal cardholders. They are messing with people's credit utilization and credit scores. I won't use those cards again. They can cancel them. It's appalling to me how they treat their cardholders. If you want a good loyal credit card company that won't decrease your cl. If your score drops a little go with Capital One I have a bunch of their cards they have never decreased my limit only upped my limit because they can see. I'm never late. I pay early and more than the payment due. Comenity you need to do better. You're losing business and going to continue to lose business.

Do I hear bankruptcy in the near future for Comenity. Yes I think I do you know I had a card through them years ago and they never pulled this crap with me. In fact I had a few with them and never did they decrease my limit. Pebbles and goodies is what I had. Everyone has told me that they are awful, to stay away, that since COVID they have been doing this too people. I didn't want to believe them but they were right. Capital One needs to take over for Victoria's Secret and all the other stores they are over. I absolutely love my Walmart card and have received 2 cl increases in the past yr of having it and my Kohl's card thru Capital One as well.

They have upped my limit a few times over the past 2 yrs. Just saying Capital One knows that credit scores go up and down. They look at the payment history and see if they pay on time. They don't go by your score alone and they don't decrease you ever and they don't punish their cardholders. They are number one because of it. That should tell you something. Comenity you're not going to have many cardholders left by continuing this. So if you thinking of applying yeah it's all great at first but wait after 6 months if your score has dropped they cut your credit limit down and continue to cut it down. Not worth it. Just makes you mad you even opened an account with them.

Don't do it. Applicants beware of and my credit score only dropped because I opened a couple new credit cards that I was wanting. Can they see they are active and in good standing - yes they can but they don't care. You're just a score to them and if it's not the same as when you got the card or better then you're getting decreased. So if you want a card thru them don't open anything new and don't let your score drop and use the card every month or they will decrease it. All I can say hope this helps someone. Wish I would have listened and never opened any with them!!!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

In June, BJs through Comenity Capital Bank send me a bill for $6.12 which I paid using the account I set up in my bank for BJs years ago. The next month I received a bill for $350.36 which included a late fee and some accrued interest from the month before. I called the bank right away and the representative had the $30.00 late fee removed. However, the representative said that they could not remove the accrued interest. I made a payment through my bank and the account I set up years ago and it was paid on August 16. I tried to get gas on that same day and my card was rejected.

I received an email from my bank on August 25TH that Comenity returned the money and that my account had an invalid account number. I called Comenity on August 25 and talked to a representative and she indicated that I NOW owed $381.05 but that she would take off the 30.00 fee that was removed the last time I called. So I gave her a payment by check for $351.05. My card was reinstated. The representative indicated to me that the bank was trying to make sure that all billing account information matched the card number. If that is true, I wasn’t notified that I needed to set up a new account. If this was not the situation, I do not understand how payments that were getting paid in the past with the same bank account number were now being rejected beginning with this last payment.

When I received my last payment, Comenity is now charging me interest on the card. I usually pay off the bill every month. Now that I'm afraid to use my own bank account number for them, I set up an account with My BJs Perks but for some reason, it would not allow me to pay off the entire balance. Which means I'll be receiving more interest next month. I will probably will not use this card frequently.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

I was informed the Farmer's Visa through Comenity was being discontinued but that rewards would still be earned thru 7/31/22 & could be used thru 1/31/23. I made a purchase of $1650 6/23/22 & was supposed to earn 3% because it was a Farmer's ins product. I never received the reward and the reward site has been down for 2 month. Also, they charged me a late fee which I felt I didn't owe, but they didn't reply to my message until I owed a 2nd late fee. I felt I was charged $47.78 unfairly, but when I called they said no credit could be given because the account was closed - which they closed, not me. Funny they can charge late fees on a closed acct but can't give credits. I had paid my entire balance on time before the late fees were given. Very frustrated because I was on auto pay & I'm never late!!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

Just a heads up. Comenity Bank who approves stores such as Victoria Secret, Express clothing credit cards. This is the worst Bank, I got approved for a certain amount. They lower the amounts of my cards because my credit score went down. I paid all my monthly payments on time and not once missed a payment and they cut my approval limit to more than half. I have my Victoria Secret credit card for more than 3 years. Not once I missed a payment. They never increased my limit. In fact they decreased my limit since my credit score went down. Also I don't even use my credit card as much. Not even 50% of the balance. This is the worst bank approval I heard of.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

When my Gardner White furniture store card was converted into Comenity MasterCard with the same credit limit, it looked like a good idea. However, after recent 'upgrade', it has become a complete shambles. Rewards program has not worked for at least 3 months (1.5% cash back is not being honored), my credit limit was reduced by 50% with no prior notice despite excellent payment history (imagine when it happens while traveling overseas!!!). Website did not work for several weeks in June and July making it impossible to check balance, available credit etc. while traveling. No app is available. People in charge of customer service seem to be completely incompetent. I closed the account and advise everybody against considering this product. Terrible way to treat the customers!!!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

Even though this bank "Comenity Bank" which under rights the credit card accounts for Floor Decor, is a subsidiary of Alliance Data which is rebranded under Bread Financial, it is performing financial fraud with customers nationwide. My experiences were related to their faulty website practices of not showing you any information when you payoff your account balance online. I waited 48 hours and no confirmation, then when I attempted to redo the payment online, suddenly I received a verification.

Guess what? That's correct, they double accepted my payment of $5,400 and now refuse to pay my Wells Fargo Checking account until they complete a review according to the second supervisor I was able to reach. She expressed the right to use a 21 day review policy before electronically debiting my checking account. They have acknowledge the double payment, but still need a 21 day review. I'm betting they keep the credit and hold my money hostage. Horrible financial practices. Next step, complain to Floor Decor for using this company. Beware!!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

Save yourself a lot of grief and do not get the BJ’s card from Comenity. They refuse to take payment through automatic payments. Then they charge you for interest and fees! I kid you not. They are criminals in my opinion.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2022

I've only had this Comenity card a few months, thought it was a good card but now I know better. Was never able to get my cash back, was told it would take 45 days whereas other cards instantly apply your reward, so in order to not get a late fee I just paid the cash back balance. Customer service was horrible, had these people who don't speak well and they were very rude. I made many calls but to no avail. And they had told me I had to change my password by June 27 but when the time came, their system was down for a month.

I never intend to use this card again. And I found out that Zales Jewelry uses them and I had a hard time making payments. If I went into the store to pay them, it took an act of Congress because of all the info they required so I decided to mail checks which took two weeks for them to receive and when I tried to pay through my Credit Union Bill Pay which I do for all my cards, that created a problem because that took weeks to go through so needless to say, I'm through with Zales and Comenity.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

I called them to verify how much to pay my card off in full and how long that amount was good for. I was given a figure and a date. I paid the amount off in full before the date given and then received a bill for $169.16 which was a membership fee of 110.00 and 59.16 in residual interest LOL which I called and made sure that the balance I was paying in full included everything and was given a pay off and a date to pay by for that payoff, which I paid, anyway I called and spoke to 3 different people today. Two considered supervisors. Another LOL. No one will remove the interest which never should have been charged in the first place. This bank must be really hard up for money so I am closing my accounts with this bank and will never do business with them again in any form. If I get a credit card from them I will not keep it. They are horrible.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

When a few brands we have credit cards with moved to Comenity, big problems began. They included the NFL and BJs. Constant, prolonged system outages blamed on update problems, keep us from being to monitor usage and even delays payments over and over despite a lot of work trying to pay. With all that system problems, which have lasted for months, their customer support staff is overwhelmed and is very difficult to reach.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

This bank has messed up my credit card account every month for the past 4 months. I will list the issues: First this joint account was switched to Comenity when BJs switched to Comenity Bank. Comenity does not have Joint accounts so they made my wife account holder and me an authorized user. Every time I call customer service to get them to fix problems with the account they refuse to speak to me. We have to wait until my wife has a day off at which time she tells them to speak to me. Our account has always been set up to auto pay at Comenity to draft the statement balance from our checking account on the due date.

In May the payment was not taken. Our checking account had over $119,000 available on that day for the $311 amount due. First call they would not talk to me second call several days later when my wife was available they said their system was having problems and they would reverse the interest charges and late fees and I made the payment manually. The next statement had new late fees and interest charges as well as no credit for the $311 payment I made manually that was also showing as a debit on my checking account. Again they would not talk to me until I could get my wife on the phone.

They again blamed the issue on their system problems and told me they would fix the problem. They also told me I did not need to make a payment until the next statement which should show the right amount minus all the fees and interest that had been erroneously charged. They also told me that that all of the auto payments had been cancelled when the system was updated and I would have to make payments manually until the auto pay was fixed and I could set it up again (this will be important for later).

I Figured out what I owed for that month and made the payment anyway even though I was told I did not have to. The next statement came all had been corrected except I was still being charged interest which I do not pay because I pay my bill in full each month. Again several calls, many disconnects they are swamped with calls from angry customers so just hanging up on everyone with a recording to go to the website. We finally get through and they tell us to pay it anyway or we will get charged interest again the following month but they will credit the interest charges back once we pay.

Here is where the fun really starts. I make a manual payment the next month for the full amount because remember the auto pay isn't working. My account gets charged twice on the same day for the full $730 amount of the payment. I now have a $460 credit balance on my credit card. Comenity Bank has taken every opportunity to screw my Wife and I over at every chance they have without the slightest hint of an apology. We pay all our bills on time and in full, we both have credit scores over 830 and 840 respectively. We will be canceling our membership at BJs as this bank is a part of their rewards program, which by the way has not issued our rewards on over $1000 in purchases. Yep it's the system again. Costco where we are also members thanks you.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

I own a couple wedding rings with Helzberg through Comenity and paying off a 6 month promotional plan has been a nightmare. Don’t bother getting anywhere with the first representatives that pick up the phone, and when the system is working - hopefully the 2nd tier/senior representatives do the job correctly. Think twice about opening a credit line if you see Comenity attached to the brand.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

Comenity is a subsidiary of Alliance Data and they have rebranded to Bread Financial, the company have taken my card's auto-payment off without my authorization and did not gave me any notification of payment due. They then charged me hundreds of dollars in late fee! I tried to work with customer service but none can revert my fees back. This is the most despicable business practice and I am sure they have done this to MILLIONS of users resulted in BILLIONS in these unscrupulous charges. Unlike those rich ** Executives, I made $11/hr. SO these late fees are an incredible stress on my finance. THEY OBVIOUSLY DON'T CARE ABOUT MY SITUATION.

So I encourage EVERYONE to post your grievances in Bread Financials LinkedIn page AS WELL AS THE CEO RALPH ANDRETTA. These people need to be shamed until they fixed their scam of a business and give everyone's money back! The CEO is Ralph Andretta **. Comenity is a subsidiary of Alliance Data which becomes Bread Financial. **

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

After looking through my bill I realized that I am being charged finance charges on my credit card bill twice at the end of the month. After finally reaching Comenity Bank and asked why I was being charged dual finance charges at month's end billing. I was told because they took over the PlayStation card from Capital One in November and I had a $200 balance and I was paying a finance charge on the $200 purchases I had with capital one and the new purchases I made with the card since they took over was a separate finance charge. WOW!!! Closing account ASAP!!

Comenity Company Information