1.1/5 (59 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About Comenity

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Comenity Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

Original review: March 27, 2022

Do not open the Comenity® Mastercard® Credit Card! They will screw you over and over. Getting help from anyone that understands you is even more frustrating! I had my credit union cut them a check for the total balance and Comenity did not process the check in a timely manner, thus resulting in another finance charge. My credit union had to reach out again for an overnight address, claiming they never received the check (a month later and with the address confirmed by my credit union) and even after paying the balance in full, I receive another finance charge for the zero balance. Comentiy was not willing to reverse the fees and I'm still living this nightmare even with the card closed and paid in full. Save yourself the headache. It's not worth the reward.

Original review: March 26, 2022

I opened a Comenity Pottery Barn credit card August 2020. The card had a $4135.86 credit on the account when Pottery Barn switched to Capital One. However the credit was not transferred to Capital One nor refunded to me before the account was moved. In addition 6 months of statements with carryover credit are no longer accessible online to view. Capital One said it’s not their problem, Comenity representatives disconnect me and there is no online access to the original account. I will be sending my complaint to the BBB, state attorney general and consumer protection agency for resolution and recovery of monies owed.

Original review: March 21, 2022

I had trouble logging onto the website and in January received a late fee. I thought my due date was on the 15th but was actually on the 13th so in February I paid it off on the 15th. Then received a late fee three days after I paid it off and have been charged two months of late fees. I called and spoke to someone who was not willing to help me and rude. I will definitely be closing out this credit card!

Original review: March 18, 2022

I was unable to pay Comenity for 2 months because I couldn't access the website. I even tried their quick pay where you just put in your card number, zip code, and last 4 digits of your social. It told me that the card didn't exist. I finally called today and had a hell of a time getting to speak to someone. Finally a customer service individual helped me get a new password set. I was able to log on, make a payment, and move on with my day. I tried signing in again, it said it failed. I did both the website login and the easy one where you put your card. Guess we are back where we started. Same damn day and it doesn't work again. Do they do this on purpose to rack up late fees?? I am going to cancel my card. This is ridiculous.

Original review: March 14, 2022

Purchase furniture with zero interest if paid off within the promo months. They don't tell you there is a finance charge every month depending on loan amount. It would have been cheaper paying the interest. Comenity Bank is a rip-off.

Original review: March 8, 2022

This card is horrible. I paid my bill the day after the due date and they have been charging my card a 40 dollar late fee for the past few months even after I cancelled the card. It's already on my credit report stating that I didn't pay this stupid late fee. Even if you don't use this card they expect you to pay 20 dollars a month.

Original review: March 5, 2022

Charged me a late fee and would not waive it even though I'm 100% positive I set up a payment! But their system NEVER messes up...okay, yeah, sure! I guess they have a different system than the rest of us, they live in a magical world! They could even see that I logged in, umm....excuse me....Why would a person log into their acct days before due date AND NOT SET UP A PAYMENT. But no, instead they called me a liar and TOLD me I did not set up a payment (because their system is magical and would never glitch) and I'm stuck paying a ridiculously high fee with interest charged on it!

Original review: March 1, 2022

The customer service is the absolute worst of any bank I have ever used. They charge fees on top of fees and refuse to help you. I will never use them again. My payment for my credit card was lost in the mail. They told me they would waive the late fee and to send a new payment which I did. But then they didn't remove the fee and added a new monthly fee on top of it two more times while I tried to get the original one removed. So they finally removed one of the late fees but demanded payment for the ones they added on top of it because they didn't do what they said originally. Poorest customer service I have ever received from a bank or credit card and will never use them again.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

I paid off my Big Lots credit card in full. The next month I get a notice that I am late and owe them $46.00. I paid the balance without complaint. The next month I get a notice that I owe them $76.00, now I am paying attention. I check my balance and Big Lots was charging me a "mandatory $2.00 interest payment" on a paid off account. I called and told them to close the account. I asked why I was being charge these charges and was transferred to another agent who disconnected me. I attempted to call back and was sent to an automated message that "representatives only work Mon-Sat." It was Sunday morning and I HAD JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH THE REPRESENTATIVE. If this is the way Big Lots handles disgruntled customers I will never utilize their services again.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

This company lied and manipulated my 91 year old mother with dementia. They scammed her into getting a credit card for purchases made to the Woman Within catalog. All of the items were either not shipped or returned. They initially tried to give the money back as a credit for merchandise. When they were told to credit the credit card it was a back and forth between the clothing line and the credit card. This was months of battling back and forth with empty promises of things being resolved. We were told on multiple times that things would be taken care of. And months of calls and promises ended with the credit card stating a return merchandise fee of $28.00 was not paid so they kept adding late fees even after two conversations with managers stating there was a zero balance.

My mother a previous nun, who raised 9 children by herself after her husband tragically died with now dementia was left to pay $177.00 for no merchandise. She is on a fixed income and this was a financial hit. Anyone who can help petition Comenity woman within to help this lady get her money back. They got away with stealing $177.00 from a dying lady on a fixed income. This company makes me sick. She deserves a refund and an apology. Customer service Alta ** refused to release late fees and stated it was my mom's fault for trusting representatives on the phone.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

If you have store credit cards with Comenity, they will charge you finance charges after you have paid off the bill by the due date, and they try to justify it by saying it's calculated daily and you have to pay it. I told them that that makes no effing sense and get rid of the charge, which they did, so this is a warning that if you pay off your bill each month or so, you will still incur finance charges after your account balance is 0, and apparently they think they can get away with it.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

I obtained a Tile Shop credit card, which is issued by Comenity Bank, to purchase tile. Comenity sent an email notice to pay the bill online, but it required the account number, which I didn't have yet. The paper bill came about 10 days later and I mailed in payment for the entire balance the next day. The card itself came several more days later and doesn't even have the account number on it. The next bill came and had a late charge and interest, because they got my payment late, even though I mailed it as fast as possible. There was no way to pay it online because I didn't (and still don't) have the account number.

I called and all they would do was wave $20 of the $29 late fee and $0 of the interest. They also wanted another $9 if I paid them on the phone! In addition, if I mailed the balance due, they would still charge 40 cents a day there way a balance, such that when they got the full payment, I'd still owe for the interest that accrued since I mailed it. In my opinion, Comenity is deceitful and dishonest. This is a typical way of getting you stuck in a loop where you may more and more interest for nothing. Lesson learned. Will keep distance from them.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

I have to start from the beginning. I make a payment from my Citibank checking account early in December 2021. First it does show processing, but later a week it was denied. Reason my bank account routing and check account do not match. I double check too many times. I am 200%, that I enter routing and checking account are correct. I have been make payment to Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Amazon, Capital One. They never have problem return like Overstock bank did.

Now overstock charge me for late fee. I called and spoke to supervisor at Overstock CS about 20 minutes on early Dec. She promise me to waive late fee. She ask me to buy a money order $75.41, and mail it to Overstock payment center. I did send out on Dec around Dec 10 2021. However it take Overstock process my money order on Jan 02 2022, it take so long process deduct my account. Since it was a delay from Overstock end, now they charge me for extra late fee and return fee. I called dispute a charge. CS name Francisco told me that, it take up to 2 month for dispute result. I must paid balance $31.42 (late fee). If I will continue to get charge for late fee. I will continue file a complaint until my Overstock card remove overcharge $31.42, then balance to be $0.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

Never, never use Comenity Capital Bank!!! You will be stricken hard by an outrageous finance charge at the last minute. I bought my wife a one-carat diamond ring to commemorate our 30th wedding anniversary in November 2020, using Blue Nile Credit Card issued by Comenity Capital Bank. It took me 30 years to buy her a diamond ring, and it needed another 12 months to pay it off. However, due to personal circumstances, I could not pay the balance in full in November 2021, the last month of the twelve-month promotion. The balance in November 2021 was $409.

Shockingly, I found that Comenity Capital Bank imposed the finance charge of $489.96 in the December statement, which included all interests accrued in the past 12 months. When I complained to Comenity Capital Bank customer services about this outrageous finance charge, one of the representatives told me that all the details on every interest accrued in the past 12 months were on the back of the monthly statement. "Summary of Account Activity" on the first page of the monthly statement had shown nothing about interest accrued for the past 11 months until November 2021. "Account Summary" of the Blue Nile Credit Card website stated nothing about interest accrued for the past 11 months until November 2021. Ridiculously and nonsensically, they were on the third page of the four-page statement. Why? I think Comenity Capital Bank had hidden them intentionally.

Until I checked "Account Summary" of the Blue Nile Credit Card website in December, I really had no idea that interest had continued to accrue over the past 12 months! Above all, I have been receiving paperless online PDF statements. No one checks the monthly statement line by line, page by page, each month. Why does "Summary of Account Activity" on the first page of the monthly statement show nothing about details on interest accrued for the past 11 months until November 2021? Why "Account Summary" of the Blue Nile Credit Card website states nothing about interest accrued for the past 11 months until November 2021? Why did Comenity Capital Bank put details on interest accrued for the past 11 months on the third page of the four-page statement?

Comenity Capital Bank seems to have been waiting for me to make any mistake in the last month. I doubt if all of the above is Comenity Capital Bank's fair business practice to their customers. Charging interest for the past 12 months at once is unfair. I think I only have to pay interest on $409 that was my account balance in November 2021. If not, it means that customers who couldn't pay the remaining balance in full before the promotion ends have to pay an outrageous finance charge accrued for the past 12 months, whatever the remaining account balance is, even if the remaining balance is $10 or $20. It makes no sense at all. Never, never use Comenity Capital Bank!!! You will be stricken hard by an outrageous finance charge at the last minute.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

If I could give Comenity bank 1 star I would. They are charging me $140 in late fees (sending the payment on time). I have spoken to several representatives and supervisors and get a different story each time. 1- "We are understaffed and don't have enough personnel to process the payments." 2- "We recently switched banks and your bank account has changed." 3- "The facility you are sending the payments to was destroyed by a storm and we have a new processing center." 4- This one was the best-(supervisor Erica) "I don't know who you have spoken to and there are notes on your account of what you have told me but none of that is true. We have not changed banks and you need to pay the late payment fees, I am truly sorry for your inconvenience." Lol.

Apparently after reading many other reviews this is what comenity bank does. They charge you ridiculous fees and they don't like it when you pay in full. Oh almost forgot to mention that I paid the last payment in full in November and then to my surprise saw it had been cancelled by them. They are saying I cancelled it and then said, "Well your bank must have cancelled it." I will never again do business with Comenity bank also known as Capital bank, Alliance data. Chairman Ron Ostler should be ashamed of the company practices he represents.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

I’ve had two cards with this company. One for 8-9 years and another for one year and they decided to close my one year old card without any details. They claimed that they processed a hard inquiry again and found that I was a risky borrower. Not sure how that’s possible when my credit score is 680 and I have no collections from this company or any other. They said a letter would be sent in the mail and I did not receive anything from them. Considering that they pulled my credit report, approved me for a card and then I lost the card and this is how I found out about this. To then now close that account without any explanation. Meanwhile, I have a hard inquiry I can’t get rid of until it falls off after two years. Don’t bank with them.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

Will never use Comenity Bank again. I have (had) a Mastercard with them and with few exceptions, I pay my balance every month. My purchases started being declined and I called to about it. They closed my card. I have not had a late payment in YEARS and am not buying their excuse that a credit reporting company reported something negative on my account.

In October I did make an error when inputting my routing number for a payment. I was not late, was paying off my balance early. When I learned of the error I immediately made another payment for the full balance, still not late. So they close my account? Ridiculous! Take your business elsewhere! They are the only company that punished me for an honest mistake that didn’t even result in a late payment.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

They appear to use every tactic possible to slow the repayment of Certificates of Deposit. They continually lie about when the money will be refunded. Even with good rates they should be avoided. Support is friendly but frankly not helpful.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

Awful customer experience. I was told that I owed some amount and I authorized the customer rep to go ahead and make a payment. She said I was all set and a month later they charge $1 on my account and since I did not make any purchases, I did not log in to see my account balance. After 3 months, they send me a paper bill saying I owe $39. So, I call them and I explain them what happened and they ASSURED me that they would take the $39 charge off my account and I don’t owe them anything. I opened my account today to make sure and I see $7 charge on my account.

If I had not seen that $7 charge they would have sent me another bill for $300 after 3 months. Even though I tried telling them this happened and it was their fault, they did not agree and asked me to pay. So, I authorized the rep to go ahead and make the payment for $7 and close the account. She made the payment $7.56 and when I asked her she said it is the interest on that $7. Like SERIOUSLY? I MADE HER MAKE A STATEMENT THAT I DON'T OWE THEM ANYTHING ELSE. I'm hoping that is the case. I’m glad I don’t have to deal with such awful customer service and fraudulent charges anymore.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

I have had a Carter's card for three years. Never late, didn’t use it excessively, paid my balance in full. This company randomly pulls credit reports and cancels your card based on information in your report. Whether that information is accurate or not. So now they tanked my credit even more by canceling a positive account. It is sad that they don’t do business based on good client relationships and how responsible you’ve been with your account, but rather what random, inaccurate information is on your credit report. Be careful with any store cards dealing with this bank. If they use Comenity, don’t do it!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

I had the Children's Place Card issued by Comenity Bank for about 5 years now. NEVER missed a payment. Now that my kids are getting bigger I use the card less, I have had this card paid off for 2 months and stopped using it at a ZERO BALANCE. At a zero balance you expect not to check the website every month because you know you do not owe anything. What a slap to my face. I got an alert thru Capital One saying I have a new report on my credit history a negative rating. I logged in and saw the Children's Place reported my late 1 month. Why?

I will tell you why. I have a ZERO balance and they ILLEGALLY charged me interest on a ZERO balance. In fact they are still doing it. BEWARE if you have a zero balance. Check your account every 3 weeks. You will see a interest charge on a zero balance. This is ILLEGAL, I plan to file suit once I finish gathering all documents. This company is a bunch of scammers and fraudsters. SHAME ON YOU. Especially during covid when you are supposed to have a temp hold on reporting to agencies anyway. Either way company is 100% wrong.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

Worst bank I have ever had credit with. I made full payments all the way through the pandemic. I missed two payment due to the pandemic. I wrote them a goodwill letter and requested they remove it from my credit. All the manager said was they were unwilling to work with me. They also lowered my credit limit to only $100 even though I paid off full balance once I finally had funds to do so. Not to mention their late fee is $40 which is the same as monthly payment due. Thank you for understanding your loyal customer NOT! Regardless I closed my account. See you never!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

I opened a credit card with Academy in July 2020, had a credit limit of $850 and made a purchase of about $150. Made my minimum payment every month, was late once and paid the fee. Made another purchase after a few months, continued to make minimum payment on time every month. August 2021, they tell me they're lowering my credit limit to $100 due to "previous negative experience with Comenity." I don't have any other Comenity accounts, and my credit report shows I made all my payments on time. I had recently opened up a new credit card to pay for some emergency vet bills, but my credit score was still pretty good and all of my accounts were in good standing.

I reached out to customer service and they just told me that the latest credit bureau report had something on it that the system determined was a risk and so my credit limit was lowered automatically. They said they couldn't give me any more details and I would have to contact the credit bureau to get more info, so I contact Equifax and they tell me they have no idea why Comenity would tell me to contact them because they're the ones that make decisions about credit limits, credit bureau just reports it to them.

Because of this, my credit score dropped 30 points. I've had bad credit in the past and have been working hard to increase my score and was very close to having an excellent score, and my score tanked because of this terrible company. I paid the balance off with this month's payment, but now I'm showing a $2 balance for "minimum interest." Currently looking into reporting this company for bad practice as it seems like everyone is having a terrible experience with them.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

My name is Lora **. I was preapproved online on 9/16/21 for an IKEA Projekt Card for a complete kitchen remodel. Unfortunately, the door style we chose has a finite date for availability due to being discontinued on 10/1/21, so I called Comenity Capital Bank the next day to see if there was anything that I could find out on how long the final approval would take but was told that it could take 3-4 weeks from application date. I asked if they needed anything else but was told that they had everything they needed.

After 10 days, I received a letter in the mail that they could not continue to process my application until I spoke with someone. On 9/25/21 I called and was told by another employee that they had 3 questions to ask me, that I could not confer with anyone else, look anything up or put them on hold. The very first question was regarding which year I had leased a vehicle, with 5 possible answers. I do nothing but lease vehicles, and there were 2 correct answers in the possible ones, so I picked one. The third question was in regards to my mortgage payment. I asked a clarifying question to see if they were looking for principal and interest only or the total of all with escrow. I was told that they could not clarify so I picked the answer range of the principal and interest only.

I was told that one or more of the answers was not correct and this would have to go to the "Back Office" for processing. I asked how long that would take and why, with the preapproval, the credit check they had already ran and the income verification that had been done, this was taking so long and was told that if I had been paying attention and knew what was on my credit report, I would have been able to answer the questions correctly, which made me angry. After 12 days and 5 different employees with 5 different stories, I was finally able to find out they denied me due to an answer I gave them on one of the three questions and for other things seen on my credit report.

I have a credit score in the 800's, have a house loan and two car loans as my only debt, and more than enough income to cover everything and then some. You don't get a credit score in the 800's with dings on your credit history. I have never been treated so badly, disrespected by so many different bank employees and been given so much conflicting information by an organization in my life. I will be asked to fill out a survey by IKEA when I am done with this project, and the review that I give your bank will be the worst review you have ever had. You lost out on a $20,000 credit purchase, and in this day and age, even small purchases really count towards your bottom line. You should be appalled at the disservice you did to me, the business that you just lost and the damage that you just did to your company reputation. If I could give you “0” stars I would.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2021

After paying off my bill in full with a loan I never pulled up account again. Only to receive a past due notice email stating my account was two months overdue. I screamed WHAT, WHY only to be told it was finance charges. I was NEVER late over years with an account with them and now they have ruined my great credit, 100 percent paid on time, for the next seven years. I’m 74 and have never had late payments. I suggest no one get an account with them. I mean never!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I’ve always paid my credit card on the due date and was wondering what was taking so long for my account to be paid in full. The last payment I paid it all, not just a payment just to find out the bank was taking my payments as late fees because they said I did not pay before Their 5pm cut off time on my due date!!! But my payments were made on the due date just not on their time!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

I tried to take advantage of the Comenity $100.00 cashback July 2021 open a Master Card offer. A credit check was completed several weeks later with "Excellent" reported. After weeks passed and several lengthy, frustrating (and documented) follow up calls I was assured "offer will be honored". No card was ever issued and no rejection letter was ever received. No $100.00 cashback on the Horizon. I tried to follow up again today (9/17/21) and can only get a busy tone @ Comenity. Other than efforts to follow up on this offer I would stay clear of doing business with this type of bank. Ref customer service calls 7/26/21 ID ** & 8/2/21 @1:32 EST Norma.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Made a mistake and applied for this Visa card at Sportsman's Warehouse with the promise of a few bucks off my first purchase. Received statement and paid in full. Got a new statement this month showing full payment, but billing me for $2.17 interest. Upon scrutiny of statement, I discovered that I have accrued $29.00 in "fees" and $5.42 interest to date in 2021. How can this be when I have paid my first (and only) statement in full and promptly? There is something crooked about this (Comenity) bank Visa. Called customer service, and after a lengthy conversation, most of which I was on hold, got no satisfactory explanation. I am cutting up my card and returning with a payment of $2.17 and cancelling my account. Do NOT make the mistake of dealing with this company.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

Paid a couple hours late. Was reported on my credit report. Dropped my score 50 points. Called to ask nicely to have it updated was transferred and hung up on. Called back was transferred again. Only machine help, no humans. Worst customer service experience I have ever had from a credit card company.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

Anyone else trying to log into Comenity and cannot? For days I have been trying to log into Comenity to pay my Overstock bill. It is impossible...Try it. They want you to sign up for something called "Easy Pay" which is my choice and I do not want to. They even say, "Try It!" I do not want to try it. One of the requirements is that you have to relist your Social Security number. I don't want to do that. I just want to log in and pay my bill. There is no help. no chat, no nothing. There are however, a load of complaints against them at the BBB. So, you are forced to do something you do not want to do and they will not let you log in. Meanwhile, they are laughing their behinds off somewhere in the Cayman Islands. Avoid at all costs.

Comenity Company Information