1.09/5

Looking for a great Credit Card?

332 Comenity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 27, 2018

Has an account with Pottery Barn and Wayfair. I missed a payment by 7 days, and they reduced my available credit to zero and cancelled my account and card. I had made correct payments and most were early payments. There was no reason to reduce everything. They had just increased my limit within the last 2 weeks prior to this. Bad business. Won’t be using them again.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I have lost my main source of income and fallen behind on my credit card payments. After missing 2 payments, Comenity Bank closed all of my accounts with them. I first learned of the closings from the credit bureaus. Two weeks later I got letters in the mail from Comenity Bank informing me of the closures. One of my accounts have fallen 3 payments behind. I am receiving no less than 8 robocalls per day. I decided to answer one of the calls to speak with someone and explain my situation. I was transferred to my account manager who was very rude and disrespectful using threatening, accusatory, and abusive language.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I had a card with NY & Co since 2017. Made purchases and paid the balances off. They stated they periodically review credit scores and make adjustments to credit limit as needed. On May 8th they reviewed my credit and did nothing to my credit limit. On 4 July, I made a $172.00 purchase, on 12 July I called customer services and paid $100 towards my balance. My remaining balance is $72. My balance was zero for the entire year and as you can see I make payments well before the due date.

On the same day I made a payment they drafted a letter telling me due to my credit score in May, my credit limit has been decreased to $100. Then they reported my credit decrease to the credit bureau on 16 July. I didn't get the letter until 23 July 2018. They waited until I purchased something to establish a balance and then they changed my credit limit so that it reflects on my credit report as using too much of my credit limit. However, they didn't report my $100 payment before they decreased my credit limit.

This bank is corrupt and likely is doing something illegal. I mean really... they are so corrupt that they will wait until you purchase something to decrease your credit limit so it looks like you are using too much credit. I will not purchase from any store who uses this bank as their credit account holder. They are callous and anyone who works for them should be ashamed. Especially if they know the unethical practices they perform and continues to work for them. I'm gathering all I purchased and returning back to them. I want nothing to do with NY & Co or Comenity. Additionally, I'm checking any store that I frequent, if they use Comenity Bank I will stop paying my money to them. I will shop at Kohl's and anyone else who does not use Comenity.

Original review: July 23, 2018

This is the worst credit card bank you can ever have. The Bank will get back any offer made by opening and purchasing with the sponsor on your first purchase. My first bad experience was with Ikea Card, I opened and used the credit card on same day (condition for the offered credit bonus); after purchase made they closed my monthly statement NEXT Day. My second experience was with Wayfair Card. My online scheduled payment did not go through, I wasn’t informed by any means and they charged a return payment fee for the exact amount offered to open/use their credit card.

I called Customer Service and she was very fast in explaining the situation stating that my bank refused the payment, without giving any reason and mocked my misunderstanding on setting up the online bank payment on their website. Customer Service also did not want to listen but only to explain their view over my payment. I decided to close both credit cards. Thank you for reading and hope it was helpful.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I wish I had known about this company before opening an account through Carson's/Younkers. I was told of all the great benefits I would receive so I signed up knowing I was going to pay off the balance immediately. Carson's then went bankrupt and all benefits were canceled. I tried to pay off the balance through ACH. I thought everything was paid. I was shocked when I received another bill with fees of course. I went online and re-entered my bank info for the ACH. I checked a few times and the account showed paid. I received a letter in the mail advising me that my payment was returned (it never made it to my bank because Comenity cannot set up an ACH payment correctly).

The letter advised me to send in a specific amount of money which I mailed immediately, thinking the account was now 0 balance, I closed it. I then received a statement about a $27.00 fee and minimum 2.00 interest. I paid this but it was after their "due date". I then received another statement for $27.00 and $2.00 interest. This is like a loan shark. Who charges $29.00 on $29.00 and how do they get away with such crazy fees. Never sign up for an in-store credit account if it is through Comenity. RUN, FAST!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

Original review: July 12, 2018

I agree with the many reviews here that say that this company will do ANYTHING to charge additional fees. I paid my bill IN FULL and it reflected a zero balance. Three months later I began getting repeated calls from them for collecting $80+ past due on the account and I at first thought that it was a crank call or a scam and went online to see what was reflected in my account. I could only see the current month so I called and was told that when I had paid in full, I had done so two days after the payment was due, and therefore even though I had seen a zero balance, they had later charged a $35 late fee.

Then when I didn't pay that $35 (which I didn't know they had charged) they charged 2 more late fees in subsequent months for failing to pay those fees. I had 3 different calls one day on the insanity of this issue and got promises of making adjustments all of which the next call said had not taken place. All I can say is don't take out a credit card at a clothing store as it will often be Comenity and you will pay MUCH more than you ever save.

Original review: July 10, 2018

OK-A few months back, I was having trouble financially so I was late with my payment. The CSR at Comenity for Trek Bikes told me to just skip and pay next month, so I did. She said it was "no big deal" and just pay next month and that it would not affect my APR, etc. I asked her if she was sure, and she said it was fine. I took this to heart, and didn't pay. I got a collections call, which really made me angry so angry that I could not even deal with them on that day, so I called a few days later and talked with a csr who informed me that I was going to be charged a fee for being late, however I could avoid the fee if I paid on my account to make it current that day. I told her that I had to call my bank to make sure I could afford to pay the extra added expense. She told me that I had until 11 PM EST to call, but If I did not call back, I would be charged a fee.

I called back around 10 PM EST, only to discover that the call center was closed. It turns out the call center was on the West Coast and the csr incorrectly calculated the time difference. I called back the next day, and spoke with a man. I explained the situation, and he refused to allow me to avoid the fee incurred by the female csr's mistake. I was angry and complained about it being the female's fault, but the guy was being a jerk about it. I asked to talk to a supervisor, and he put me on hold for several minutes... It seemed passive aggressive. I hung up, and called back and got someone who was helpful and waived the fee, thankfully. But this is not where it all ends, sadly.

There have been many miscommunications from the reps, and I have since racked up several late fees, and when I call to try to get on top of things, it is all messed up. After fees and a few bounced checks as a result of their bad information, I have incurred several hundred dollars in fees with my bank as a result. Yes, I was miscalculating my money and tried to pay Trek, went overdraft, and it was my fault for not understanding how much money I had in the bank/couldn't cover expenses, but this whole thing started from someone telling me that I did not have to pay a month. These csr need to understand that they are dealing with peoples' financial lives. In all fairness, I eventually got a csr manager who cared and apologized, but she and Trek said they could do nothing. Don't rely on these csr people to give you accurate info. Also, when your anger is justified, they will just mess with you if you get mad.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I had this account with Bealls for over 2 years and they increase my account limit. Then I used my card and my credit score goes down by 32 points and they lowered my credit limit. And then another 2 months they gave me no credit at all when I had always made my payments on time and even paid more than the monthly limit. I will never use them again and shop at any stores that uses them. This goes for Bealls and Goody's as well as Palais Royal. I will take my business to Kohl's department stores. They treat people like crap. Give them a card and then don't let them use it. INDIAN GIVERS! If you do not want to become victimized do not use this bank!! Comenity has no integrity and shows poor business matters.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I am very disappointed by Wayfair and Comenity Bank services. They are absolutely dishonest and fake people. They provided me torn sofa initially but I agree that they easily accepted to replace it. I made purchase of 1100$ in last year September 2017 and until today, in period of 10 months when I am making all the installments, I still owe them 919$. They know how to make money by being dishonest and fooling around. Neither of them will take responsibility to help you in situation like I had. If you want to make payment, automated voice should help you otherwise you can make payment with bank only after due date which adds equal amount of late fee as of your monthly payment. And you go nowhere. I have closed my account with them. Think or quit before you made your mind!!!

Original review: June 29, 2018

I pay my bill one month in advance. Because of the way I receive my direct deposit. My May 2018 payment fell on a date that was 2 days before their system software closes account statements cycles. Comenity applied my payment to the balance I owed and then charged me a $25.00 late fee. I called and spoke to a customer service agent and was told that their system doesn't recognize that the payment I made was for the following month's payment due because the closing of their statement cycle is the 25th of the month.

This is what banks do. Comenity is no different and because they only offer a one time late fee waiver every 18 months they would not waive the $25.00 late fee. As a paying customer/consumer I've purchased a few items from Wayfair. I do not have any issues with any of the items I have purchased, if anything came to me damaged Wayfair took care of it and either issued me a credit or sent me a new item. However, I will cancel my credit card account with Comenity Bank, by whatever means they can to extract additional monies from the consumers they will. I have not been late, I always set up my payments to coincide with my direct deposit so that I am not late, and because of the way they close their statement cycle they applied my payment to the balance due and charged me a late fee, which negated that payment.

Plus they put my card balance to zero because of the late fee payment that was due. All this for $25.00 and all I owe is $135.00. Anything I purchase from Wayfair in the future will be from my own account or my other credit cards, Amazon has a great deal, and will NEVER accept another credit card that is backed by Comenity Bank, they are gougers. I am one, most likely, of many they do this to. How much money does Comenity Bank make just from late fees? Consumers be aware! Do not apply for any credit cards that are backed by Comenity Bank. If you qualify for a credit card there are more companies that are so much better than Comenity Bank. As I mentioned Amazon has a credit card that is so much better, just to mention one. Plus you get money back just for using it, and you can use it anywhere to make purchases not just Amazon.

Original review: June 26, 2018

On 5/30/18 I found out I had a balance of $36, but it was zero before that for a bit. Due to the hustle and bustle of wedding plans, wedding guests, and all others do details that go into planning a wedding I did not remember this small charge. They emailed me and I promptly went online to pay but by accident sent it to Comenity hot topic account. It was my fault. I made an honest mistake and then forgot to resend $$ to correct Orbitz Visa account. I called them and they said they will credit me the late charge which ended up only half of the fee! They also said nothing would be due till July. Well yesterday I went to pay for balance of honeymoon and found my CC account frozen and limit was lowered to $750 from $3000. They then said the freeze couldn’t be lifted for a month. For a lousy $87 balance.

I talked to them and supervisor and they didn’t care. I paid $50 right away to assure them I’m good for the $$ (I wasn’t sure if they would fix the $16 refund from the $36 penalty to the full amt.). But alas nope they were not going to forgive me and they wanted the amt paid in full. I sent note to close acct and today received a call and a text for the final $37. Which I told them over and over it was sent immediately via my bank (arrival 06/26/2018).

Now that I want to close my account they know my text. Oh ya the written confirmation said it was my fault I missed the due date... I already told them I was at fault... Duh! We have tons of other companies with accounts and none are this ** or cheap! Most will call back and try to accommodate Citi-Bank, Synchrony, Credit One, etc. So be warned Comenity does not care if you are human! They just want their $$. I’m sure it’s the $$ they want and not the customer!!!

Original review: June 25, 2018

I have had my VS card for 5 years. My credit score was higher than it had ever been until out of nowhere Comenity Bank changed my credit limit this month and did not tell me or send a letter. I received a phone call yesterday (Sunday) morning that it was urgent I call them. The pre-recorded message told me that I had not made my June payment and that I owed $42 on it before 7/17/18, my available credit was $0. I know my credit limit in April and May was $1130. I have a balance of $383. I have researched my payment history, they are correct, I did miss June payment but only because I really thought I set up my payment online with them.

I also researched that by LAW they have to tell you 45 days ahead of time before they change anything.

Now my credit score has tanked by 50 points as it looks like I have maxed out this card. I am so disgusted with this company, you only have until 8 pm to make your payment online. Who else does that. I thought 11:59:59 was still the same day. My other card with them is for a eye surgery with no interest for 2 years. I am a year into the payments and they charged me interest on that account. Their answer to that was if the balance is not paid in full each month then you get charged interest. I paid them in April on the 20th which is my due date, they charged me a late fee and of course no one can tell me why.

What kind of SCAM are they running? I hope that retailers come around to these practices and go with another company. I will be paying off and closing all cards with them! Not worth the extra work to keep MY MONEY IN MY POCKET and not theirs! I have reached out to this company several times, the person you speak with NEVER does what they say they are going to do even when the call is recorded.

Original review: June 19, 2018

If I could give it zero I would. I never received my card. By the time I realized and called asking about my card I had received interest and late fee charges. My $30 purchase was now over $120. When I contacted them they offered to resend my card but would not wave the fees. Needless to say I cancelled the card and had to pay an extra 90.00 in fees on a card I never actually received. Besides this shady disregard for customers - Cards hold a very high interest rate, easy to obtain. So tempting but STAY AWAY if you are someone that carries a balance month to month.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Recently I just received notification my Big Lots credit card as well as my Modell's credit card has had the credit limits decreased. When I called them they told me I would receive a letter in the mail and it said that my limit was decreased based on my credit score dropping significantly to 589 on May 18th of this year. I in order to see if it was the truth I check my credit score but my other credit cards and they were absolutely wrong. I do not understand where they got this incorrect information when I was just approved credit card by Chase Bank. I checked my credit score on multiple places and my score was not even where they said it was. It was much much higher now. They want me to prove it and write them a letter. They say I cannot speak with anyone at risk management at Comenity. I am gathering the information and sending what they asked.

Original review: June 17, 2018

This place is a joke. I have several cards with them. I have NEVER missed a payment, they kept raising my limit, only to drop it stating my utilization was too high. So lowering my credit limit will help that how??? It will hurt my credit. No one there will help or explain. Now I get letters that the cards that have zero balance are being canceled??? This place is shady and I plan to fight this.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I had a payment due for April that I paid on 4/19/2018. The May's payment (all payments are the same amount each month) I made another payment on 5/4/2018 for May statement. They put both payments in under April's billing statement and cut off my credit and doubled my payment saying I did not pay for May's bills. We have had words and email and nothing was settled. I am on disability and cannot afford extra payments which they expect $231 due in 5 days. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THE COMPANY.

Original review: June 14, 2018

If you don't have a card with this bank. Never get one. They play gamble with your credit. If your score drops for whatever reason, they drop the available credit on your accounts thus damaging your credit even further. I have had about 5 of their cards for over a year and it is a gamble. They drop the limit on your cards especially the ones that you are using to make it seem as if you have 100% or overutilization and the cards that you're not using, they close them so that they can damage your credit even further.

I truly believe that they are there to hurt you even more. I have never been late on any of their cards, but as a result of them doing this, my score dropped significantly. This should not be done to the average consumer who pay their bills on time and want to have a good credit rating. I have paid off all of my cards and thrown them in the trash. No one should use this bank for any reason. They do not have the best interest of the consumer. This horrible practice should be discontinued.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I received an email this morning for the first time EVER telling me my statement was ready to be viewed. I was confused because I haven't used this card since April (which was the first time in about a year that I used it). I checked my account and saw that I had paid my bill in FULL in May (or so I thought). Apparently I was charged a late fee but it wasn't yet added to my account. So, I now have TWO late fees to my account, that I was not made aware of until TODAY. The representative told me I have been mailed and emailed three statements since April. I have not received anything except for the May billing statement that I used to make my payment and the email this morning. I will be canceling my card, because I am not going to continue paying late fees for something I don't even use. I will NOT recommend this bank to anyone.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Have had a credit card with Total Rewards for about 5 years. Comenity Bank is the bank in which the payments go to for said credit card. I take pride in making my payments on time and having an 800+ credit score, or I did. On May 1st I made an electronic payment to Comenity for my cc bill, which was due on the 3rd. Checked my checking account, saw that the payment was made. Checked my cc online statement to see what my balance had come down to and noticed that it still said that there was a payment due. Called Comenity and they said they never received my payment. Called my bank and told them, they said they would look into it. The following day I received 3 emails from my bank, the 1st was to tell me they closed the investigation, the 2nd stated that Comenity returned my payment and the 3rd was to tell me that the payment would be redeposited into my checking account.

I called Comenity and spoke with a very rude customer service rep. who assured me that would never happen. I explained to her I had the 3 emails from my bank, she really didn't care what I had to say. So the "wonderful bank Comenity" has contacted TransUnion and Equifax and sent my excellent credit to the bottom of the barrel, by stating I had missed a payment when in fact I made an electronic payment within 3 days. I have another bank that I could do a balance transfer with, so I paid off the balance with Comenity, and I will never do business with again, I have a $145.00 credit that I want deposited into my checking account, that is taking them forever. I should charge them the 19.49% interest they were charging me!!! Horrible Bank, Horrible Customer Service!

Original review: June 6, 2018

I have a few store accounts with Comenity. Most of them are at a zero balance. I have had a rough patch the last few months with some personal problems that caused my credit to decrease. I never went over my limit nor did I miss a payment with any of my cards in the year or two that I have had them. Yet, somehow (they say because they check my credit every 30 days and they do this because they need to protect their investment) my credit limits were decreased from 650 to 250 and 250-100. Now, cards that were less than 1/4 used are maxed out and my credit dipped even more! They told me it would continue to do so until they feel that I have become creditworthy again. My problem here is I never missed a payment with them. Not one.

Why in the heck does it matter than that my score dipped. Capital One, nor Discover lowered my credit limit and I actually missed one payment with them once in 3 years. I don’t see my Walmart account availability changing either! When these cards are paid in full I will be closing them all. The ones I keep for “just in case” that are but zero balance, they’re being closed now. I cannot believe this is a legal practice and I cannot believe that this happened to me. Don’t let it happen to you, find a different company or save up to get what you need! Don’t ever open an account with them!!

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have a CC with Torrid and I have always paid on time until this month. All of a sudden I go to purchase online and it says they lowered my CC to $100.00!!! Why even bother and for what? This is crazy and a disgrace. You best believe I will cancel my card now, they don't deserve my business.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I opened a Home and Garden Showplace Discover card through Alsip Nursery when I bought my patio furniture being told there was 6 months interest free if paid in full. Well I sent a big chunk of money the first month (9/2017). It was sent by e-check through my bank. I sent a payment in 10/2017 that went by electronic debit and I have proof that it cleared my account and was sent to my account number with the company. They are claiming they never received it. However they received my 11/17, 12/17 and two payments in January. It has been over 8 months now of me disputing and sending proof of the funds making it to them. They keep telling me they never received the money and that I would have to send a copy of the check to prove it. Well it went electronically and I provided the electronically transmittal form that shows all of the transaction details and everything and they still continue to deny my dispute.

I have filed with the FDIC, BBB (which they are not even accredited by because they have so many complaints against them). My bank is trying to help me but I feel that I am fighting a losing battle. I have contacted my local news company, I have wrote Alsip to inform them of how ** this bank's service is and how I feel I am a victim of a scam. Either someone is stealing money internally or the money was applied to someone else’s account. I don’t know but my money was delivered to my account number with the company and they will not get another dime from me. Now I don’t know what my next step will be... small claims court, Attorney General's, civil suit. I don’t know but they will NEVER see my business again.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Comenity Card for Victoria’s Secret - My credit limit was decreased to 200 with no notice or reason provided. I called customer service, the rep was confused as he could see I had no missed payments which is typically what makes them decrease your credit limit. I was told I should receive a letter in the mail, I checked the mail while on hold and found a letter from them which states my credit limit will remain at 370. I asked the rep how are they showing a credit limit lower that’s in the letter they themselves told me to watch out for. I was told I have to write and mail a letter, no one there can answer that. Right because writing and mailing a letter and having to wait to receive a response is so convenient while they just dumped your credit score. So frustrating, will be reporting to the BBB.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Earlier this year, I hit a financial rough spot and could not pay my creditors for a few months. I expected the collection calls that came in multiple times a day. When I was ready to get my feet back under me, I tried to make arrangements through the Website since I'm hard of hearing, but my needs were ignored and I was given a phone number to call. When I called Comenity's inappropriately named Customer Care, I was told I would need to pay an amount that would be impossible for me to manage to get me up to date. Really, if I had that kind of money lying around, I wouldn't have fallen behind in my bills.

Getting the guy (who mumbled his name like so many of them do) to give me a manageable payment structure was like pulling teeth. He gave me an amount that would "keep me out of collections" and told me to call back in a couple of days to arrange further payments. I don't know what he thought the benefit of this would be since I wouldn't be any more solvent in three days. I called back only to be routed to another agent who told me that the amount I was told to pay would not be sufficient and that I needed to pay an additional amount on BOTH my cards.

By the end of the phone call, I was set up to make two additional payments to bring me current. I was warned that the collection calls might not stop right away but that I would not incur any more late fees. This should have been my first sign that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing there. Lo and behold, I get my next bill and it still says that I'm past due and there's a $38 late fee on BOTH my cards. Let the circus begin. I exchanged several Secure Message Center messages with customer disservice agents which amounted to the late fee being waived on one card and a lot of runaround and canned responses on the other. Clearly no one was actually reading my messages and no one cared that I had clearly been lied to about the late fees.

This has gone on for so long back and forth with Comenity that my next monthly statements have arrived with additional late fees. I'm afraid to even guess what will happen when I've finished my payment plan and am supposed to be back to making regular payments. At this point, I am completely disgusted with Comenity and their useless "Customer Care" team. Along with the intent of closing all my accounts with them as they are paid off, I'll be avoiding retailers who use comenity for their customer credit cards. It's a bad reflection on any company that they do business with Comenity, and it's not worth the stress.

Original review: May 30, 2018

I have had two cards from two different retailers from this bank. In late 2017 I paid off one of them only to receive a statement two months later with a mysterious fee plus a late fee since that other fee hadn't been paid. I called explained the issue immediately I was told it was an error and they would get it corrected. It took two months and two more phone calls to get it cleared up. I am still waiting for the letter stating the account is paid in full. In Jan 2018 I called in to verify the balance of the second account to pay it in full, I specifically asked if there were any fees and was told no just pay the balance given. So I logged in to the website and paid the amount given which was the amount on the system, again two month later I start getting statements with late fees on them.

I have made multiple calls, used the online complaint system and have sent notice in writing. Every time I get told there is no record of me contacting them but the fee was there so there is nothing they will do. If this had happened on one account I would have said human error but two accounts and the runaround is just a form of intimidation to get you to pay the fee. This doubling makes me angry since I actually work for a bank and know the Fair Debt laws, they are a prime example of way people believe banks to be evil and only out for people's money. I am so frustrated, reading this review there needs to be a review of their business practices and possible a class action against them. Just think of the number of people they have intimidated into paying their fees in fear of legal action.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I bought some furniture from Z Gallerie in January 2018 and opened Comenity Z Gallerie credit card because of so called deferred interest 12 month promotion. I noticed that I was getting charged 26.99 % interest despite this so called promotion. I believe someone made a mistake at the time of signing up at the Z Gallerie store and didn't get me on the promotion. Despite my calls to Comenity, Z Gallerie refused to honor this so called promotion and I believe this is deceptive practice and misleading promotion. I'll never buy any furniture from Z Gallerie again.

Original review: May 14, 2018

I have had nothing but issues with this company since I opened my account. I am the first one to admit that I’ve overused it, but they do not give payment reminder emails, do not allow auto pay, etc. When I’ve been a little late (within days) they jack up what I minimally owe from 20$ to between 60-90$. When they call you about payments, I have not been asked if I need help with debt or anything, they just resort to calling from restricted number. I mainly have forgotten payments because they will NOT REMIND YOU like most companies would. I would absolutely AVOID at all costs!!

Original review: May 8, 2018

Earlier this year I had a balance transfer issue where the other credit card never posted the transfer. Each day I'd get a response from Comenity that would dispute the one the previous day. I'd get one email or letter saying that it was never cashed. Next day I'd be told it was cashed. I'd ask for the check and they then would say it was never cashed.

Comenity-Carsons really is conducting fraudulent activities. I scheduled online bill pay to arrive 3/27 and paid the account off. They posted payment on the 28th and charged interest and late fees. While trying to resolve with the bank another statement generated with more late fees and interest. Then I came across an email I got from Comenity-Carsons back in March that the payment was received of the full amount on 3/27, the due date. They didn't post it until the next day. I have sent several emails including the email from them saying I did pay on time so the interest and fees should have never been assessed in the first place. They are only agreeing to credit one late fee. This is definitely a scam.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Last summer, I opened an account at Ann Taylor. I was told at the time that I would have no difficulties paying my account online. I repeated asked the question and, asked them to verify with the credit department as I am Canadian and do not have an account at a US bank. I was assured that I would be able to pay my account online from my Canadian bank. This is NOT the case!!! I tried to pay my account immediately in the store and was told I couldn't - as I am Canadian. This should have been my first clue that this was a bad idea. Anyway, I got home. I got my bill a while later in the mail. I mailed them a cheque. The cheque apparently did not get there before the due date so, I was charged a late fee of $31 (I believe). I didn't realize this though as my statements take a LONG time to get to me.

By the time I got my next bill, my payment was late (so, the late payment was late) and they charged me yet again. So, I mailed more money. The same thing happened... Again. A few months later, I now had an accrued balance of over $140 of late fees for an original bill of $150!!! So, I spoke to a manager at their collections department (after being harassed repeatedly by phone calls). They assured me that the account would be closed and that all of the late fees would be reversed. At the time, I had mailed a cheque for yet another payment and told them that since they were nicely reversing the fees, they would no longer need the payment. I was assured that the account would be at a $0.00 balance and therefore they wouldn't try to cash the cheque. Happy customer! Just in case, I put a stop payment on the cheque. Fast forward another couple of months and I am getting repeated phone calls again from Comenity.

I just got off of the phone with one of their representatives. Apparently there is still a balance owing on my account because my last payment was returned. Well of course it was! They weren't supposed to need it because all of the late charges were being reversed. They refuse to let me speak with a manager and then, when I get upset... They hang up on me!!! The unbelievable thing is that this is all over a balance of approximately $31 that is THEIR FAULT!!!! I suppose one good thing is that I am Canadian and, it will be a bit of a pain to keep chasing me but, I have a perfect credit rating with the exception of THIS ACCOUNT!!!! DO NOT IN ANY TERMS AGREE TO BANK WITH THIS INSTITUTION!!!!

Original review: May 5, 2018

I would rate this bank at zero if I could. I made a payment that Comenity-Meijer said it never received. Ok, I understand mistakes happen but... they feel they don’t make mistakes, even when you have a statement from your bank proving transfer of funds. They keep asking me for a copy of the bank check and the bank says Comenity has it because they electronically sent the transaction. My bank has nothing more they can give me and Comenity says it’s not enough. Someone has my money and from the documentation I presented and what others have said I wonder if they have ever looked at their employees... Anyone ever open a class action against them?

Comenity Company Information