1.06/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

355 Comenity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I missed my first payment by 1 day and called to have the $27 late fee removed/waived and to my surprise I was advised that they are unable to remove the fee due to the agreement/contract between Ashley Stewart and Comenity Bank. I can't wait until ALL my cards through this bank is paid off. Their billing practices suck!! I will never get another card with this bank.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I recently applied for a Wayfair credit card through Comenity. A few days after I submit my application I get a notification from Equifax about a hard inquiry into my credit report by Comenty-Wayfair. Nothing wrong here since I knew that applying for a credit card would mean having a hard inquiry done. I have a really good credit score (over 800), no derogatory marks ever on my credit report, and have never missed or had a late payment on any of my loans so I knew I would be approved.

After 10 days, I finally get a letter in the main from Comenity-Wayfair telling me they were unable to approve my application because they couldn't verify my social security number with that in my credit report and that I needed to call Equifax to find out the problem. I call Equifax and verify that my information is correct and there is no record of any discrepancies in my file. I thought maybe I had accidentally made a typo or something in my application so I called Comenity-Wayfair to figure out what went wrong. They told me that they were unable to run a credit check because they only had the last 4 digits of my social.

THIS IS A BLATANT LIE. I have proof that they ran a HARD inquiry into my credit report which they wouldn't have been able to do if they didn't have my full social security number. I also reviewed the application page again and it does ask for the full social so it doesn't make sense that I could have submitted the application without providing the full number. They just repeatedly kept saying that they did not run a credit check (again, huge lie) and that I could choose to reapply in 30 days (which by the way would require them to do ANOTHER hard inquiry). Now I have to go through the process of disputing this inquiry on my credit report because Comenity-Wayfair is a huge scam. I will NEVER submit an application with anything dealing with Comenity ever again.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I received notification from a credit bureau company that my Comenity/Kay Jewelers account had been closed. This closure was not by any action I had taken. Upon calling the Customer Support (less) for Kay Jewelers, I was informed that due to the Patriot Act, they needed my physical home address on the account. They sent requests for this information that went unanswered. I have a PO Box for security reasons. There was no request, that I received and do not believe that the Post Office would withhold any mail. As indicated, I spoke with Customer Support (less) and requested to speak with a supervisor. Since the account was closed "permanently", there was nothing they could do.

They continued to inform me that it was Comenity Bank that closed the account and they would be the party to speak to if I wanted to see if there was any resolution. Today, I called Comenity directly, in turn passed off to the Kay Jewelers Division. I spoke with five different people attempting to resolve this closure. One supervisor advised that they attempted to call me three times this month alone. There was no such call. As I am speaking with the last "Supervisor", I explained how their own process has failed them since there was no communication with me regarding required information on my Kay Jewelers account. I do have another account with Comenity, which does have all the information they need.

One would think that their systems could do cross-checks between accounts to verify information. The Supervisor, in a way, agreed with that statement. However, since the account has been "Permanently Closed" there was still nothing that could be done. They would be more than happy to open a new account for me however... since I have had my account in excellent standing since it had been opened. The issue, that I exclaimed, was the impact that this would have on my Credit Report. 1) A credit Inquiry hit which has a low impact on your score; and 2) the age of credit history would be reduced which carries a Moderate impact on your credit history. While this may seem trivial to some, when you have worked hard to maintain an excellent credit score, why should a customer pay for the failed processes of a credit company?

Based on the other reviews, which I have seen here on this website, it is apparent that I am not alone. In a manner of speaking, I feel that there is a level of fraud being committed by Comenity Bank. I plan to follow up with the Comenity Bank Customer Dispute Department regarding my case. I shall also follow-up with the Credit Reporting Agencies along with letters to both the Attorney General's offices in both states, Ohio where Comenity Bank is located and my home state.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I have been with Comenity Bank for three years and have three cards with them. I have a Meijer Card, Victoria Secret and The Buckle card. Over the three years, I have had my credit limit raised on each account and have a high credit limit. I have always been on time with my payments. Recently, Comenity Bank LOWERED my credit limit from $1500.00 to $300.00 after a payment of $1400.00 was made on my account. My Meijer and Buckle credit limits remain at $1450 and $1300. This is completely unfair as I feel they just took my money and I do not get any of that as my available credit. Instead they lower me down to a limit a brand new customer would receive upon opening an account.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I had a promotional balance on my Overstock account, in addition I also had a revolving balance due. I paid my monthly minimum, plus the total amount of the new revolving balance plus 120.00+ on top of that. I had two payments/months left on the promotional balance, yet they credited the entire payment to the promotional balances, left the revolving balance and charged a finance charge. I was told that because of the length of time I was on the phone with customer service they would credit the finance charge, not that it was being credited because they misapplied the payments...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I had store promotion deal for 18 months of no interest charged. The bank provider was Comenity bank. The bank statement is misleading and not showing the payment amount to make up the balance at the end of 18 months. The only 3d page of the statement shows the accrued interest because usually people don't even check it. I strongly suggest to stay away from this bank as it charges 29% interest rate, highest in bank industry. SHOWS NO EFFORT OF PROTECTING THE CLIENT TO AVOID HIGH INTEREST CHARGES. One way or another it will get to this situation. The purpose is to rip you off with the highest rate. I am looking for people caught in the same situation to start legal proceeds against this bank. Not enough that we paid big buck for furniture, we are rip off on the interest rate! In 2014 this bank lost lawsuit for misleading fees situations and paid people back. If anybody are interested to join me please, reply.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Comenity close my account for no reason in Sept 2018. I have been a customer for 17 years and always paid more than the min. balance before the due date. This is ruining my excellent credit. When I called they could not explain why and said they couldn't do anything about it. Something about being computer generated.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

My account closed 9-7-18 for no reason yet, and when I called no answers. I checked my FICO and it’s 800+ Excellent on everything and zero late payments ever. I will never apply for Comentity Bank card or store card again because when an account closes like this it puts a ding on good/excellent credit. Also, stores have a history of changing the banks on their store cards and closings accounts only to send new credit card with a different bank which again dings credit. No amount of savings at the register is worth that. Comentity was a pain to deal with all along.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

After being a Children's Place cardholder for over 5 years, I found out today that they closed my account on 9/7/18 because they somehow didn't have my physical address in their system - only my mailing address. Funny how they had it on my NY&Co card though. I found out my account was closed by going to Credit Karma, but I do not understand why they'd do this after I just purchased some items from them for my son on 9/3/18. I called them at 866-544-1471 & Angie told me that I would have to REAPPLY for a new CP account because they could not reopen it. I asked for her supervisor, and she transferred me to the very rude and unprofessional, Andrea. She kept telling me "I am not too for sure" about each question I asked her and then she got an attitude when that response could not pacify me.

I wanted to know why a customer's account would be closed when they had my physical address in their system for YEARS as well as my PO BOX address, yet they never closed my account. They didn't mail me anything nor did they email me anything. They simply closed my account. That's ok. It just proves that all these bad reviews are correct, and I will NEVER shop at Children's Place again. They can close my other account too if they'd like. They need some training in ethics and customer service because they are truly lacking. I wanted to send a complaint letter to their HQ office, but Andrea told me I'd have to send it to their generic customer service PO BOX. Not happening. I will just complain on every site I can about them. Stay away from this bank!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I have the Wayfair and Ulta credit cards. I was late paying for a month and they reduced my credit limit to 0 for both cards, and gave no explanation as to why, no heads up, nothing. They won't let me place payments online, only over the phone and I have had rude and nasty customer service people every time I have had to call. I am extremely disappointed. This is how I've been treated because I have paid on time 90% of the time only to be undercut by this bank after 1 screw up.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Watch out --- read their "promo" carefully, read between the lines, read in the margins, read every line you see because they'll get you with a gigantic (and I mean gigantic interest if you happen not to pay off their HealthiPlan loan or line of credit within 12 months. I just got slapped with $1,500 interest. When I called and offered to pay off everything immediately, they of course wouldn't budge. The penalty is horrendous for not understanding what is built into their contract. It feels like it's a plan based on certain traps. Try to finance your health needs in some other way.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I paid off balance and closed my account with HSN over a year ago. Starting May 2018 Comenity Bank started billing me late charge fees on a closed account. I had refused to pay. June 2018 they continued to bill me on a closed account. I called and spoke with supervisor who agreed to waive all but $16.27. I obliged this amount to get rid of the harassing calls and emails. To my surprise they started billing me again in August 2018 for late charges on the $16.27 I paid to settle this dispute. They are now affecting the downfall of my credit. I contacted BBB, but they can't get this crooked company to budge. This kind of scam should be enough to shut this company down.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Opened an account through Wayfair purchase. Made 3 payments which were mysteriously "declined" resulting in whopping late fees!!! No notice at all. Paid off my act 45 days ago and just opened new bill. Payment mysteriously declined again... new balance $125??? This balance is never going to get paid off no matter how many times I pay it. I fear it will continue to increase. HELP!!! CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT POSSIBLE.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Don't charge anything on any credit cards connected to Comenity. Check your card and your bill to see if they are connected to Comenity. You will ultimately lose the great savings that you get when you charge. They have a tricky billing system.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

This company has extremely rude customer service. I just had a call where the woman was extremely hostile about my payments. She did not give her name at the beginning of the call. This is the second time I have had uncivil calls with this company. Earlier this year while I was undergoing tests at Mayo Clinic this company called repeatedly. After I told them it was not a good time, they refused to end the call until I set up a payment. I was in the clinics and they would not relent. Once I have paid this card I will never again open an account with this bank.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I received a call from a 1-800 number asking me to contact them back. I called the number back and the person who answered asked me for my phone number. I said, "What is this regarding?" and she said, "I can't explain until I get your phone number but I can tell you that Comenity is a retail card company." I gave her my number. She then asked for my name. I gave my name. She then asked for the last 4 of my SS# and my address.

I said I am not giving out any other info until I know what the call is about. She said, "Oh Come on you don't know Comenity Bank?" and I said, "No I really don't." She mentioned some credit cards and I said, "Ok I have one of those but what is the call about." She said, "Provide me the information." I said, "I am not providing anything else until I know what it is about." She then said goodbye and hung up! With all the calls that people get from the IRS, auto warranty, etc. Why in the hell would I provide anybody information without knowing what the hell the call is about. This bank needs to change the way it calls people.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I thought I was going crazy with these cards until I came to this site and saw the same horror stories that I had experienced. I had...key word...had a credit score of 700. Applied for and received a Victorias Secret, Lowe's, and Walmart Credit Card with Comenity,(trying to build my credit). Used each card, below the limits provided and paid the bills on time, in full.

According to Comenity they were canceled due to inactivity. WTH. Sooo, quite naturally my credit scored has dropped to 553 due to closed accounts and decreased amount of credit available within my profile. This has got to be the absolute worse bank on the face of the earth. They have ruined my hard work in a matter of 3 months with the lamest excuse of action I have ever heard of. I so hope someone brings a civil action suit against them, has to be some type of law being broken here. To anyone who even thinks of opening an account with this bank RUN the other way. I also stopped visiting those stores.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

WARNING. STAY AWAY from Total Rewards Caesars Credit Card Program! This company kidding you many times… again and again… They send you advertising. You have to activate them on the internet. If you spend more money with this Credit Card, you receive more points (3 times more points). After this promotion is the answer, the points will be credited soon. After couple weeks the final answer: You have not clicked the link. You missed the action. Zero Customer service. Result: I spend about $15,000 in two month with this card only and I lost about $300 on rewards. My result: I will not use this card anymore. M-Life has better offers and works serious.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

So I have a credit card with one of their companies and suddenly I get a phone call from them saying I'm overdue on another credit card for another of their companies that I never signed up for. They say they have reported me to the credit bureaus for non-payment of items I never ordered from a credit card account I never opened. I believe it's an inside job, someone from Comenity took my info and opened the account. Trying to get to the bottom of it, they treated me like I was some sort of criminal. Don't go near them, terrible people.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I am so upset about this. I have tried to have this card reinstated as it is the longest running credit card I had. The individual at the bank was an absolute **. He would not listen to me and kept saying "Is there anything else I can do for you today..." No jerk... you have cancelled my card I have had since 2013 for no apparent reason. I made several attempts to make a purchase over the last 2 months but there was always something wrong with the website or they were going to mail me a new card (which I did) however, between them mailing me a new card and me receiving and using it (2 weeks), they cancelled my card for "non activity." Granted I had not used the card in 18 mo but I had made several attempts to do so and the problem was on their end... not mine. Now they have closed the card thus reducing the length of credit on my report and subsequently lowering my score. NOT HAPPY!!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I would encourage anyone to not ever use Comenity Bank to get a credit card. They reduce your credit limit when they feel like it without cause. Then they close your accounts without cause. I had never been late on a payment, always paid more than more than the minimum payment and they reduced the credit limits on all three of my store credit cards I had with them after I had paid them off. The one card I had kept open with them, with a zero balance, 2 months after I had closed the other 3 accounts they close this account. AGAIN, I HAD NEVER BEEN LATE, PAID MORE THAN THE MINIMUM PAYMENT AND PAID THIS CARD OFF AND HAD A ZERO BALANCE! I will never shop at any of these stores again nor will I ever get a card with Comenity Bank ever again. They are horrible!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I have a Bj's MasterCard thru Comenity Bank and today I went shopping for clothes for my wife's upcoming trip. She got hundreds of dollars worth of clothes and we went to check out and our card was declined... Lucky I had debit card which I used. I called Comenity Bank and asked why my card was declined. They said it was declined because they were in the process of adjusting the account for a payment I just made online earlier. I try another store a 1/2 hour later and still was declined.

This is so stupid. I can't use my MasterCard if I make a payment until it clears. Imagine going out to eat at a restaurant and you can't pay your bill because of this. People ought to get rid of their MasterCard. I was told that I could use my card again the next day after contacting your agent Tuesday. I saw on my website that the payment was received and cleared. So today which now is Thursday I tried to use my card again to purchase something from Target and also our hearing doctor office and again it was declined. I called Comenity bank again and was informed that I pay my bill too often. The card will be available to use in a few days.

This is ridiculous when I use my Comenity MasterCard. I don't know if the card will work when I use it or not. It is embarrassing when the person tells you, your card is declined. Imagine dining out and you go to pay your bill and the card is declined and you don't have any other card and you don't carry cash. This is a stupid policy. And also I lost the rewards I would have gotten for the things that I bought. I really am upset with this. I ended up closing my account with the company. I would tell the people not to use a Comenity MasterCard. They have a stupid policy.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I receive one bill from Comenity bank for Forever 21. They was charged my late fee twice. I called. They only removed $17 for late fees. I was then given the total outstanding bill. I paid the bill in full that date. Today, I received a bill with double late fees. A total of $43 was added to the bill. I called them. The person who answered my call was rude. I asked to speak to her supervisor. And asked for her badge number because I was getting nowhere with her. She told me she does not have to give me that information. So I asked her to transfer me to someone that could. She hung up.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Has an account with Pottery Barn and Wayfair. I missed a payment by 7 days, and they reduced my available credit to zero and cancelled my account and card. I had made correct payments and most were early payments. There was no reason to reduce everything. They had just increased my limit within the last 2 weeks prior to this. Bad business. Won’t be using them again.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I have lost my main source of income and fallen behind on my credit card payments. After missing 2 payments, Comenity Bank closed all of my accounts with them. I first learned of the closings from the credit bureaus. Two weeks later I got letters in the mail from Comenity Bank informing me of the closures. One of my accounts have fallen 3 payments behind. I am receiving no less than 8 robocalls per day. I decided to answer one of the calls to speak with someone and explain my situation. I was transferred to my account manager who was very rude and disrespectful using threatening, accusatory, and abusive language.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I had a card with NY & Co since 2017. Made purchases and paid the balances off. They stated they periodically review credit scores and make adjustments to credit limit as needed. On May 8th they reviewed my credit and did nothing to my credit limit. On 4 July, I made a $172.00 purchase, on 12 July I called customer services and paid $100 towards my balance. My remaining balance is $72. My balance was zero for the entire year and as you can see I make payments well before the due date.

On the same day I made a payment they drafted a letter telling me due to my credit score in May, my credit limit has been decreased to $100. Then they reported my credit decrease to the credit bureau on 16 July. I didn't get the letter until 23 July 2018. They waited until I purchased something to establish a balance and then they changed my credit limit so that it reflects on my credit report as using too much of my credit limit. However, they didn't report my $100 payment before they decreased my credit limit.

This bank is corrupt and likely is doing something illegal. I mean really... they are so corrupt that they will wait until you purchase something to decrease your credit limit so it looks like you are using too much credit. I will not purchase from any store who uses this bank as their credit account holder. They are callous and anyone who works for them should be ashamed. Especially if they know the unethical practices they perform and continues to work for them. I'm gathering all I purchased and returning back to them. I want nothing to do with NY & Co or Comenity. Additionally, I'm checking any store that I frequent, if they use Comenity Bank I will stop paying my money to them. I will shop at Kohl's and anyone else who does not use Comenity.

Original review: July 23, 2018

This is the worst credit card bank you can ever have. The Bank will get back any offer made by opening and purchasing with the sponsor on your first purchase. My first bad experience was with Ikea Card, I opened and used the credit card on same day (condition for the offered credit bonus); after purchase made they closed my monthly statement NEXT Day. My second experience was with Wayfair Card. My online scheduled payment did not go through, I wasn’t informed by any means and they charged a return payment fee for the exact amount offered to open/use their credit card.

I called Customer Service and she was very fast in explaining the situation stating that my bank refused the payment, without giving any reason and mocked my misunderstanding on setting up the online bank payment on their website. Customer Service also did not want to listen but only to explain their view over my payment. I decided to close both credit cards. Thank you for reading and hope it was helpful.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I wish I had known about this company before opening an account through Carson's/Younkers. I was told of all the great benefits I would receive so I signed up knowing I was going to pay off the balance immediately. Carson's then went bankrupt and all benefits were canceled. I tried to pay off the balance through ACH. I thought everything was paid. I was shocked when I received another bill with fees of course. I went online and re-entered my bank info for the ACH. I checked a few times and the account showed paid. I received a letter in the mail advising me that my payment was returned (it never made it to my bank because Comenity cannot set up an ACH payment correctly).

The letter advised me to send in a specific amount of money which I mailed immediately, thinking the account was now 0 balance, I closed it. I then received a statement about a $27.00 fee and minimum 2.00 interest. I paid this but it was after their "due date". I then received another statement for $27.00 and $2.00 interest. This is like a loan shark. Who charges $29.00 on $29.00 and how do they get away with such crazy fees. Never sign up for an in-store credit account if it is through Comenity. RUN, FAST!!!

Original review: July 12, 2018

I agree with the many reviews here that say that this company will do ANYTHING to charge additional fees. I paid my bill IN FULL and it reflected a zero balance. Three months later I began getting repeated calls from them for collecting $80+ past due on the account and I at first thought that it was a crank call or a scam and went online to see what was reflected in my account. I could only see the current month so I called and was told that when I had paid in full, I had done so two days after the payment was due, and therefore even though I had seen a zero balance, they had later charged a $35 late fee.

Then when I didn't pay that $35 (which I didn't know they had charged) they charged 2 more late fees in subsequent months for failing to pay those fees. I had 3 different calls one day on the insanity of this issue and got promises of making adjustments all of which the next call said had not taken place. All I can say is don't take out a credit card at a clothing store as it will often be Comenity and you will pay MUCH more than you ever save.

Original review: July 10, 2018

OK-A few months back, I was having trouble financially so I was late with my payment. The CSR at Comenity for Trek Bikes told me to just skip and pay next month, so I did. She said it was "no big deal" and just pay next month and that it would not affect my APR, etc. I asked her if she was sure, and she said it was fine. I took this to heart, and didn't pay. I got a collections call, which really made me angry so angry that I could not even deal with them on that day, so I called a few days later and talked with a csr who informed me that I was going to be charged a fee for being late, however I could avoid the fee if I paid on my account to make it current that day. I told her that I had to call my bank to make sure I could afford to pay the extra added expense. She told me that I had until 11 PM EST to call, but If I did not call back, I would be charged a fee.

I called back around 10 PM EST, only to discover that the call center was closed. It turns out the call center was on the West Coast and the csr incorrectly calculated the time difference. I called back the next day, and spoke with a man. I explained the situation, and he refused to allow me to avoid the fee incurred by the female csr's mistake. I was angry and complained about it being the female's fault, but the guy was being a jerk about it. I asked to talk to a supervisor, and he put me on hold for several minutes... It seemed passive aggressive. I hung up, and called back and got someone who was helpful and waived the fee, thankfully. But this is not where it all ends, sadly.

There have been many miscommunications from the reps, and I have since racked up several late fees, and when I call to try to get on top of things, it is all messed up. After fees and a few bounced checks as a result of their bad information, I have incurred several hundred dollars in fees with my bank as a result. Yes, I was miscalculating my money and tried to pay Trek, went overdraft, and it was my fault for not understanding how much money I had in the bank/couldn't cover expenses, but this whole thing started from someone telling me that I did not have to pay a month. These csr need to understand that they are dealing with peoples' financial lives. In all fairness, I eventually got a csr manager who cared and apologized, but she and Trek said they could do nothing. Don't rely on these csr people to give you accurate info. Also, when your anger is justified, they will just mess with you if you get mad.

Comenity Company Information