2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.5/5 (598 ratings)

About Comenity

Comenity Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

My wife got a Sephora credit card that was charged a late fee, because she scheduled a payment on the due date, but because it was after 6pm ET. Then she was charged a "finance fee" for getting a late fee. And then she also got a "minimum interest" charge. When she tried paying the balance, she scheduled a payment with the "schedule tomorrow" option, this time to be on time, but their system is in a different time zone, and the "tomorrow" was actually a day after, which again let us to a late fee.

To top it off, we got on a call with the customer care to cancel the card, they said it everything was our fault and that we should pay the balance before they can close it. We selected the option to pay full amount on their portal, and selected today's date, it asked us to pick a different date. But, while this happened, the system automatically changed the amount from full to minimum. We noticed it only when the rep mentioned the amount we paid and it didn't look right. Their online system is designed in bad faith to intentionally charge you late fees and interest and the customer support will not be helpful at all, making sure to tell you that you were the one at fault. I'm surprised that these practices are legal.

Original review: July 9, 2021

I opened my Children's Place Credit Card in May 2021, paid off my balance online in June 3 days before the due date. The bank was unable to verify my bank account so they returned my payment and of course charged me a late fee. Once disputed and phone payment was made, all charges were removed but then my account privileges were restricted and would be considered for review in September. You have got to be kidding me, as if I am some kind of child in trouble for poor behaviour!! SMH. How ridiculous and petty is this?? At that very moment is when I remembered why I closed this credit card many years ago! I have excellent credit and I refuse to give this bank my time of day ever again. Taking my business elsewhere! Huge Loss for Comenity Bank!

Original review: July 6, 2021

This is a rip off crooked bank. Restricted my account without any explanation blocking access to my funds. They use their depositors as short term financing. They are thieves. Avoid like the plague and disease.

Original review: June 17, 2021

Initially, I applied for a Wayfair store credit card before Comenity replaced the product. Wayfair closed out their store credit cards temporarily due to the pandemic. I thought my "replacement card" was useful at the time because I needed to invest in new furniture, moving expenses, etc. Every 2nd of the month, I pay my credit card bill on time, but according to my most recent statement, I've been charged high interest fees. I have not used the card since November and I still have an available balance of $2,332. I have a Sephora Visa with them as well, but my biggest issue with Comenity is the level of distrust between cardholders and account specialists. They are not as transparent with the cardholders and they always refer me to the secure message center. Once my balance is transferred onto my newest credit card, I am closing my account.

Original review: June 16, 2021

BEWARE: Comenity Bank handles many business accounts for department stores. I opened a Bealls Outlet account in which Comenity Bank serves as their credit services. They will charge interest and late fees for nothing. Even if you close the account the interest accrues, but they will not credit the interest. Example: I have excellent credit and always make my payments on time. They charged me $2.00 for a late fee which was supposedly after I paid the balance. They assessed an additional $4.00 since they did not receive the $2 check I mailed. While this is only $6, ripping off thousands of customers means they are collecting thousands of dollars.

Original review: June 14, 2021

The bank offered a great rate, but I was not aware when I deposited my money that there was a limit of $10000 a day on withdrawals and six per month. I made the mistake of putting my money for a down payment in the account and getting it out was a big hassle. I contacted the bank and they didn't even seem to have a clear record of how many withdrawals I had made. Will not use them again.

Original review: June 7, 2021

This bank has terrible services and keeps charging me everyday. One day late charge fee is 38$. Normal we have 36 months pay for, we only pay the 13 months but we finished. Next time don’t trust this bank. It will keep charging you everyday.

Original review: June 2, 2021

My bank automatically sent their payment 2 weeks in advance of the due date. Comenity did not process it so I got a penalty. I then changed my payment send day with my bank to 3 weeks before the payment was due. I watched my account everyday until the day before it was due. I then paid the bill directly through their website and then cancelled the electronic payment that I made 3 weeks earlier since it had still not been processed. Comenity Bank charged me a $25 cancellation fee. If you don't pay directly through their site, their processing of external payments is ridiculously awful!

Original review: May 30, 2021

I opened a Sephora Credit Card which is from Comenity. I pay my balance on time every month, always in full. However, last April 2021, I noticed that my statement has an interest charge on previous purchases so I spoke with customer service and none of them can explain it. I keep asking them what is the interest for and why do I have this interest when I pay my entire balance in full every month. After more than 30 minutes on the phone, no one can explain to me what purchases are those so the supervisor ended up removing those charges on my account. However, come May 2021 statement, there are interest charges again to which I again called them and ask what is it for since I keep paying my entire balance every due date. No one can explain to me.

I ended up arguing with the supervisor, paying whatever remaining balance on my account that day and closed my account entirely. This credit card company tries to scam people and put charges on their accounts which are not reasonable and are not supposed to be there. I will never open any credit card from comenity again. Btw, if paying via a representative, they also charge a ridiculous $9 fee. So I paid online instead. Never again will I open a credit card from comenity.

Original review: May 28, 2021

I think is is important to start with I never wanted Comenity Mastercard. It used to be a Wayfair Card that morphed into something else that has been nothing but awful. I mailed a check to Comenity Mastercard on April 29th, 2021 to pay off a balance. On May 19th, 2021, I noticed that the check had not cleared. Fearing it had gotten lost in the mail, due to the large amount, I placed a stop payment on the check and paid the card balance in full online. At this point the card is at a zero balance & I think I am done with Comenity Mastercard.

On May 21st, Comenity Mastercard attempted to apply the check to the account & charged me a $29 fee returned check fee on an account that was at already at a zero balance. I called the customer service line, explained that the card was already paid in full when they tried to apply the check amount, that I had already paid a $29 stop payment fee to my bank and that it is not fair to charge me a fee for a card with a zero balance.

After speaking with 3 people, two claiming to be supervisors, the consensus at Comenity is that I should have let the check I presumed was lost in the mail be paid to whomever and then request Comenity to send me a refund for any over payment if paid to them. I was also told that Comenity Mastercard must pass on charge back fees from their bank to customer (because I am sure their profit margin cannot absorb a $29 fee) even though my account was at a zero balance and I have no choice but to pay them an additional $29. This is a truly unethical practice and I would caution anyone from using this card. There are much better ones out there.

Comenity Company Information