Find the Best Card

Find the Best Card

Save and Earn Rewards - Compare Cards Side by Side

Learn More

399 Comenity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

After receiving my first statement I decided to set up an online account to pay my bills to avoid late charges and interest. My son helped me and decided to pay the bill in full two weeks before due date. He paid using his bank routing number and account number which has sufficient funds during the month we paid. The next thing I got was letter suspending my credit card for returned payment. After we made a payment at store in full, I called the customer service and spoke to the manager who explained that the extra fees are not reversible and the account will stay in suspension for three months.

He said although I made the payment in full and was credited to my account that the fees will not be waived and that my account will stay suspended. I explained this is not my fault and the funds were in the bank and other companies do not have similar policies. When I asked if the suspension will affect my credit score, he did not have an answer and did not seem to be able to reference the action in his company's policy. I thought that was very unprofessional and unethical business practice. Worst credit card experience in 11 years.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I have had this card for 5 years. If I have a balance it’s small. I’ve never missed a payment or paid one late. I paid the card off two months ago and today I get a notice from a Credit Karma that my account had been closed. They didnt notify me at all. No phone call, no email or letter. They won’t give me any information over the phone or even try to reverse it. I was affected by Hurricane Florence and yes my credit rating has gone down due to lack of payment from the insurance company but according to Comenity they were here for people affected by the hurricanes. This is total **. All they did was hurt my credit even more by closing my account for no reason.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I got a Comenity Bank Credit Card because I am a member of BJ's. It is one of the worst banks for Credit Cards. They charged me 85 dollars just because the payment (I make payments in full) came into the system one day late. I called them and literally fought with the customer service to waive the charges. But they wouldn't. This is the craziest bank that you can ever deal with. Now I am stuck with this credit card as it is the only credit card that the BJ's accepts.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have had an Ulta Beauty Ultamate Rewards card for over a year and always pay off my balance so I’ve never paid late fees or interest. So I decided to get a Love Loft card around Xmas and got approved with a 16,0000 credit limit. I spent around 100 and paid off the balance. Today I opened my no balance statement and my credit limit has been reduced to 8,000 for no reason?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Comenity definitely is the worst bank I have ever dealt with. I financed dental work with My Smile Care/Comentiy bank and the calls from them started the day after treatment telling me my payment was late two weeks before the first payment due date. They offer very little help when trying to set up online payments through the website but constantly hound you about making payments. Example, Today is 2/7/2019, my due date is 2/27/2019 but I am already receiving multiple (4 within 5 minutes) robocalls for collections on my current account. Stay away from this bank at all cost!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I've had Comenity. I only planned to use it once, it was for an item I needed, really needed and couldn't afford to buy it all at once. I had numerous problems with them setting up the account that caused me to be late for some payments, the lack of a start date also meant the settlement date was iffy too. They overcharge me quite a lot even though I made sure to pay on time and even overpay a little.

I manage to pay the account off a month or two past the due date, the rates are absurdly high. My credit rating is not flawless but it is what you might call in the upper ranges of what is a preferred customer. There used to be laws preventing credit agencies from charging more than a certain percentage but that appears to be no longer the case.

The finishing touch if you will is receiving a letter apologizing for the problems in the most condescending way possible. The letter stated that even though it must have somehow been my fault they were going to be charitable and refund me some of the overcharged fees. I was just glad to be done with them and had no desire to ever do business with them again or talk to them for any reason.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I just want to say, that I have better cards with better benefits and flexibility with payment hours, etc., but the cherry on the top was a rep- Arturo, very rude, didn't listed what I wanted to do. I have 2 accounts and I wanted to pay off and close 1 account and make a payment on the other one, but he was shouting: "You must make a payment! Ma'am you must make a payment!" Seriously... Rude imbecile.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Opened a West Elm credit card and waited a few months to use it for the first time. Went to use the card only to have the purchase declined. Called to see what the problem was, and they said they closed my account because my credit score had declined since the card was opened. I have other credit cards that are with Comenity and I’ve always paid more than the minimum due and on time. Don’t appreciate the fact that they close customer accounts without notifying the customer. I’ll be paying off my cards and using other credit cards for future purchases. Comenity treats their customers like garbage.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

If I could give this company a -0, I would. Horrible business practices making it difficult to set up automatic payments. I have paid off this account and closed it three times and still get bills saying there are issues with the billing cycle and the fees generate additional charges. This is a complete nightmare. I work really hard to maintain a good credit rating, and this company is unscrupulous. They take advantage of consumers. Run away and don't get a credit card from this company. I am going to the Better Business Bureau and State Attorney General's office.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

This credit card company tells me that my payment is late and then charges me a late payment fee EVEN WHEN THE PAYMENT IS ON TIME OR EARLIER. I have never made a late payment to any company, yet this one company tells me I am always late. I check my bank. The payment cleared ONE WEEK before the due date, and my Comenity statement says the payment was one week late. DON’T USE THIS CARD.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I opened up a Children's Place credit card with this bank. I always paid on time. I even scheduled my payments before they were due or even told me my minimum payment due. I missed a month by $5 (I went by what I paid the month before as it should of been the same). Next thing I know I'm hit with late fees over $5. You would think since I paid before the due date they would send some sort of notification that I have a payment due. I called to see if they could possibly help with the late fee since I had my payment set up before I even knew what my minimum payment was supposed to be and explained what happened and they had no care in the world. STAY AWAY FROM ANY CREDIT CARD THAT HAS TO DO WITH THIS BANK!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Approximately two weeks ago, I applied for and was approved for a Bed Bath Beyond Mastercard for $1,000 limit. Received the cards a few days ago and, this past Saturday, attempted to use for a purchase. The card was declined - my husband tried his...same thing! I called and was told something appeared on my credit report and so they closed it, and it can’t be reopened. Most of my other cards are with Comenity and there have been no issues - no late payments - NOTHING! I am pissed!!! They obviously ran my credit report to approve me!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

The bill was due on 1/13/2019. I initiated online bill payment through Chase Bank which was sent on 1/7/2019 (proof of payment given by Chase Bank). Comenity Bank said they did not receive payment until 1/16/2019 thus they charged me late fee $27 plus finance charges $1.57 for a balance that was only $36.75. They refused to remove these fees even after I showed proof of payment from Chase Bank that my money in my bank account was taken out by 1/7/2019.

Chase Bank has specifically indicated to Comenity Bank that the late delivery was not due to my fault, it was out of my control. I suggested to Comenity Bank that their employees may process the payment late for whatever their reasons were. Thus, their fault or post office's fault should not be passed on to me. They have no proof that they did not process the payment late, but I do have proof the payment was sent on 1/7/2019. Comenity Bank refused to take responsibility. I closed the account.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I had my card for a year before using it (put $150 on the card). I had lost the actual card and called in during December 2018 to get a new one. I was told a new one would be sent out but I didn't receive it. I missed the December payment (the first and ONLY miss). I made a $37 payment January 4 to bring my payment current. Good to go right? Wrong.

On January 25 I receive a credit monitoring notification that a credit card was shut down. It was Avenue and it was supposedly shut down on January 12. I called "Adrian" at Avenue. He said he was going to get me the 'best customer service he could get' and spoke to a credit specialist, who told him I only had 7 days after the account was opened to reopen the account. I said how was I supposed to know this since I didn't receive a notification. He said Comenity wasn't required to send out a notification. I said how was I supposed to know my account was closed and I had 7 days to reopen it if I'm not being told that the account was closed. He said he found a 'letter' in the system which was sent on January 13 (after account closure) stating the account was closed and that the T&Cs had that they could arbitrarily close my account but that the 7 days to reopen was a 'kindness' and it isn't in the T&Cs.

I said, "If you don't tell me that you are closing my account and 7 days aren't in the T&Cs (and I have NEVER had this happen with Comenity across the 5 cards I have with them) how is that acceptable? How is he offering 'the best customer service'. I said I'd like to speak to a supervisor... He said the credit specialist was (suddenly) an supervisor. Adrian then gave me the "Do you have anything else to speak about today?" which is code for "I'm not going to be any more helpful because I don't want to take the time to ask anyone else for help"... I've been a CS rep, and this was not 'stellar' service. This boils down to I had their card for a year with no problems. Missed one payment, made it and they closed my account down 8 days after that without telling me or giving me a time to dispute it. No - not happy at all. Won't use Avenue Comenity again...and I'll work to pay the other accounts off and close them too.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

This company is in fact a scam. Customer service is horrible. It’s all about the money with them. Come on now. It’s 2019 and they don’t have a autopay in place for the Victoria Secret or Wayfair card holders by now. Seems they are not making it easy to pay (want you to be late) and get most of their profit form late fees. It’s always a issue but my most recent last straw was them charging $37 for late fees that was inappropriately charged. Had experienced problems with the site not accepting my payments for 8 months. No one was able to explain why all of a sudden my stored checking info was not working for payments. I would have to walk in my payments or call or mail in. For me it’s a huge inconvenience because I’m busy. It would be similar to set up auto pay or log on to pay but neither was available & if I call in I would have to spend hours on phone explaining each month. Bottom line - this company needs to fold!!! I’m done with them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I was tricked into getting their credit card saying there was no interest. "It really wasn't a credit card. More like a membership card. It won't go on my credit." Also that I would get discounts (not just points for discounts with everything I buy with the card). I got a discount for my first transaction. That was it. I paid it off there and then. I made another $70 transaction a few months later. That was in 2016. I have paid them hundreds of dollars. I set up the auto pay (they charge 10.00 to pay over the phone) and they take out the money a week after and charge me 32.00 late fees and 3.00 interest after it shows on their site it was paid the day I asked them to take it out. Then they reverse the charge and charge me a 25.00 fee for that.

I literally pay them twice a month and when I get it down to my last payment asking them to take the rest of the payment they leave 2.00. Then charge me a late fee and the interest. 1 product I got in the mail didn't fit the smaller ones. Price was 15.00 less and I was supposed to get a credit. Yeah that didn't happen. I called them over 60 times (not even kidding) to get the card canceled. My credit was pretty good. It is now destroyed in the high 400s when it was in the 700s. DO NOT GET THEIR CARD.

Just to top it off their call center workers are rude and treat you like crap. They have made me cry so many times because of the lack of help and frustration. I don't even call them anymore. My husband usually does pretty much to yell at them for this charge that fee, why they left 2.00 and so on. The reason I am saying something about it now I got my bill down to 38.00 with a scheduled payment for the first of the month and now it's almost 70.00 (again the card has been canceled for over a year so no one is using it) and I don't want anyone to have to go through this as well.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Charged me late fees inappropriately. Failed to send me a welcome letter to my address. Had no way to pay balance. Got a robocall which I then got access to my account number for the first time to pay my balance. They never corrected the late fees or interest on the late fees. Kept charging interest. The account reached $676 from $40. They also sent to collections. When trying to resolve the collections they claimed they don't have my account details. They claimed late multiple times on my credit report even though I had NO balance with them. STAY AWAY. THEY ARE SCAM ARTISTS AND OPERATE TO THEIR BENEFIT ONLY. I had over 30 calls with them throughout the life of the account with calls lasting over 30 mins to 2 hours at times. They always said a supervisor would get back to me or they would correct the account. Never happened. They claim they don't have the ability to that. A computer does it for them... Shaking my head.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I've been with this bank 3 years. Paid payments every time on time. Before I went on Deployment I schedule payments to be submitted. Before I left told me they don’t do autopay? Sounds like they are trying to screw you right? I finally get signal 3 months later and check my account and I have 3 late payments. I call them. Told them we talked and they said they would fix. I paid the remainder off afraid that they would do the same. Guess what 2 months later I arrive back in the states check my credit. Bam 2 more missed payment. I asked what did I owe. I paid it off. Everything was a mistake to begin with. They told me that after I paid the 759 off that two days later a late fee posted for that and now I owed 120. Lol on a zero balanced account. Please turn away. Do not I repeat do not trust the bank. ZERO STARS!!!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I made 2 purchases at Overstock in November. Both were purchased with deferred interest if paid off in 12 months. Got my first statement from Comenity, and nowhere does it show that I have that plan. Called them. No record of a deferred plan! I told them I absolutely made the purchases with that plan. They told me my account will be in dispute, and I’ll get a letter in 2 weeks. Overstock cannot confirm it either. So, I guess it’s my word against theirs. After reading some of these reviews, I’m not hopeful. I guess they want their interest. I would never have made these purchases otherwise. I don’t have 800.00 to pay it off. I am so upset!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I wish I can give a -5-star rating! Why can some company ruin our hard earned credit score just with a blink of an eye? I have a J.Crew store credit card which I rarely use and when I opened it I asked for a low credit limit around $800. My credit score is in the 800. Before Christmas 2018 (Dec. 21), I shopped at a J.Crew store to buy plaid shirts I need to wear for family holiday party, and I used the store credit card (by Comenity Bank). While paying at the register, I asked store employee to tell me my balance so I can pay right there at the store. Worker told me I can pay but can’t tell me my balance. On Jan. 3, while doing online banking, I saw that my credit score dropped by 50 points... yes 5-0 POINTS!!! And I look at alerts and it showed it is because of a late payment with Comenity Bank.

I was boiling mad because I have many other credit cards with limits of 5 digits and there have been times where my payment for balance of more than $1-2K was late but they were forgiving and never reported me! So, the next day Jan 5, I called Comenity and asked for explanation and to correct with credit reporting bureau (which I understand can be done by party who reported me) but the Customer Service manager of Comenity (Ms. ** and would not give first name) was of no help to me the customer.

Shortcoming of Comenity in this age of easy access to data/info: 1) They should work on linking their service to the stores so a customer; 2) They should send email to give amount due and date; 3) They should send email or SMS/MMS messages to alert customer that payment is past due; 3) If payment date missed for an amount lower than $100, they should just charge interest and fine (which they did — $36 interest for amount due of $37 which means 100%?!? and they also charged late fee of $25) AND NOT REPORT THE CUSTOMER TO THE CREDIT REPORTING BUREAU! I will close this J.Crew credit card!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I am Disappointed with COMENITY TOTAL REWARDS Visa fraud department... I have a $26,000 credit limit. I spend over $30,000 a year on this card for Business and personal use. My wife call COMENITY to check on Supermarket PURCHASE she made and Comenity fraud/customer service department block all my cards without notice or any form of COMMUNICATION... (My wife is a AUTHORIZE USER). I am the primary cardholder, I FEEL like they should've call me to let know they're blocking or to verify information. Instead I went to USE the card at the restaurant AND THE CARD was denied, That was very EMBARRASSING FOR ME, WHAT IF WHAT WAS THE ONLY CARD I HAD ON ME.

My American Express/Chase Bank Visa would've call me immediately, so the Cardholder is NOT EMBARRASSED, So I called Comenity and fraud department treat me like I stole something telling I need to send in driver license and Social Security card to unblock the cards... I TOLD THEM GO ** THEM SELF... so I pay off the cards and DELETE MY BANK INFORMATION off their website. I'll not use this Bank Again, They need Better customers service Department. I Also don't believe it's the Bank, I believe it is EMPLOYEE that work for the Bank. They don't really care enough about the customers.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Like many reviewer here, I too am incredibly disappointed that Comenity would close my accounts due to inactivity. One card was Pottery Barn. I had just furnished my house a little over a year ago and had planned to buy a new sofa for Christmas. This is how I learned my account was closed. Then I checked my credit report and score which had tumbled due to the closing of 3 accounts. I called to try to reason with them but no luck; so I wrote an email through Pottery Barn even stating I was prepared to make a purchase. I received a response from Comenity saying they did send notice...to the credit bureau after it was closed. SMH. Sending it to me would have been useful. At least I would not have been embarrassed trying to use the card. I learned later that banks can do this without notice so lesson learned. They weren't great cards anyway but I liked the stores and the rewards. I think Comenity could and should treat their customers better.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I had always paid my account off as soon as I got something out of this store called Goody’s. I had a small $200 limit. I got like $50 worth of stuff and tried paying my account right off but my phone number was changed by somebody in a call center doing a skip trace so my account had the wrong info so they could not look my account up. I travelled and moved and had other people trying to pay my bill but my info was wrong still and they could not pay it. After 7 mos of this foolishness I came back to settle this bill and a really slow stuttering dude took him over an hr. for him to find my account because some employee put bad information in their notes and my file. This nice stuttering fellow informed me that my bill was now $328 to settle my acct due to no payments and they have policy where they can charge up to 100% interest on the bill.

I told him that was usury if ever there was and he see said, “Sorry ma'am that's how we get paid with crazy fees.” He let me talk to his manager which was a lady not as slow in the head who negotiated with me and said, "If we have 210% of your original I can settle this account now to close it." I still didn't get a paid in full letter from that transaction on 12-21. It’s disgusting how outrageous the fees are and how ignorant they acted with me over a mistake they made. Do yourself a favor and leave this company alone. They are some in your face crooks.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Very disappointed with gimmick by West Elm and Comenity Bank. I was told when I signed for West Elm credit card I would receive $25 for every $250 I spent. I had over $2500 in purchases and waited for my rewards. It has now been over 8 weeks and I have yet to receive anything from West Elm or Comenity Bank. When I made inquiry to Comenity, this is the response I received. "I apologize for the inconvenience and concern this has caused. Lost/stolen rewards and rewards 'not received' cannot be replaced." Use other credit cards that provide genuine rewards, not these renegade ones that are nothing but gimmicks.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

The worst customer service ever. Never received bank statement on time. Payment on due date or later, because of that, and late fee $38. It's ridiculous. What about bank grace period? Stay away from this piece of garbage.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I have been working on a dispute with the financial company that manages various retail credit cards. The statement 8/25/16 reflected the purchase made on (7/16/16) and returned credit (8/1/16). When receiving 9/25/16 statement the 7/16/16 purchase reappeared with the same differed reference number and purchase date. I submitted the supporting documentation to Comenity dispute center which denied my claim. They didn't give a reason. Only it was not a valid claim. I resubmitted the dispute. When receiving 2nd denial I contacted the customer care/credit department.

I spoke with a gentleman who was having difficulty reconciling my account. I explained he had to take the incorrect charge to balance the account. He then explained he didn't have access to the statements nor is his department permitted access to the supporting documentation. He then agreed to credit me for $110 interest credit. I refused and explained Comenity owes me $469.60 plus interest. I have numerous emails sent via their website informing them I would pay up to the amount due on my account up to $469.60 and if they report it to the credit bureau I will then have an opportunity to send my documentation to an unbiased 3rd party if that's what is needed to get my money back. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

The complaints in here bewilder me. Of course you will incur late fees if you pay your bill late; of course you will incur interest charges if you carry a balance. After a bad relationship failed and took my credit with it, I stayed off the grid for 8 years. When I was ready to get back into the game, Comenity was one of the only banks willing to take a chance on me -- a middle-aged woman with no credit history. I've paid my bills on time well before the due date and I've paid more than the minimum due. I've never gotten a phone call from them and their websites are remarkably easy to use. The people complaining here are either bad at paying their bills on time or bad at understanding how online billing works -- I've had no problems whatsoever and I've received generous credit line increases already. Comenity is a great bank for rebuilding credit provided you actually plan to pay them back on time.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

First, they kept increasing my credit line - when I never authorized or request any such increase. Then they would constantly email me with "offers" to use my cards. I had several of the credit cards under them and had zero balances on all of them. Next thing I know, I start getting letters saying they closed my accounts for "inactivity" and because of my credit score. Now mind you, each time they increased my credit limit, it dinged my score because of "available credit" to equity ratios. I'm not going to hold it against the stores themselves, but I will never... EVER... sign up for another Comenity card. These people are the worst! Whatever other cards you carry - dump these!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I need to start by saying, I do not EVER make late payments. I'm two months ahead on all my bills. So imagine my surprise when I received a call saying I was severely delinquent on my account. I told them this was impossible and they said I had paid a day late so they charged a $24 fee. Then three months after I paid on time I received THIS FIRST ATTEMPT AT CONTACT, I was told that the late fees on the late fees were upwards of $270. WHAT?! I not only had paid on time but I even asked the girl if I was all caught up to date and she said, "Yes, you paid on time so there won't be any late fees."

When I told the customer service rep this, she admitted that the original girl was wrong and said regardless of this fact, if I didn't pay, they were going to send me to collections and ruin my credit. So to sum it up, I paid on time and was told I was on time and wouldn't get late fees. They charged me a late fee on a zero balance account and then charged late fees on top of late fees and made no attempt to contact me about this. Then essentially blackmailed me to pay or damage my credit even further. Oh, and right after I lodged a complaint, they dropped my credit limit by half.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I did cool sculpting in 2016, and my overall bill came to $10,000. Since the time the bill was generated, I have been paying thrice the minimum payment amount every month, and I paid almost every payment without missing any monthly deadline. Late 2018, I was busy with my work and didn't realize that the promotional due expires on 12/5/18. There was no intimation regarding the expiration. I read my email, & noticed that my remaining balance was $2700. I was really shocked.

So, I called customer service and spoke with a representative and 2 different supervisors. I explained my situation for almost an hour, but they were not ready to waive off the interest accrued. Such worse customer service that the supervisor advised us to pay the bill using a different card which has 0% interest. I really don't understand, how you can say something like that to a customer when I was ready to pay the promotional payment ($650) right way, but I wanted the interest to be waived off. But the supervisor was not ready to do it. Such an arrogant service, they are not pleased to help the customer.

Comenity Company Information