3.02/5

481 Comenity Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 18, 2019

First off, I've read all of the negative reviews and it's the card holder's fault and not Comenity. If you are on top of your bills, and pay them on time every month whether it's minimum, partial, or PIF they will treat you very well, give CLI's, and you won't have late fees. It is sent with the card in print stating the fees and due dates. If you are two days late, you will get a late fee. That's not Comenity's fault. If you don't like the fees and/or interest rates, DO NOT use the card and they will close the account like it was never even opened.

All of my store cards from Comenity have grown so much over the past 18 months while I've rebuilt my credit after a tough patch financially. I started with a Victoria's Secret card through them when nobody else would, and now 18 months later I am the proud holder of Amex, Discover, and Capital One to name a few. I am always on top of my bills and pay them early every month to allow for time in case something was to happen and I needed to fix it. Thank you Comenity for giving me my financial freedom back and for being a wonderful company!

Original review: July 17, 2019

I have a credit balance. I called and was told it would be 5 working days to have credited to my checking account. After this I called, and said it could be 2 weeks. I will keep the acct open to get my bonus in February. Then it will be closed, and never ever use them again. Ready to report to the dept of Banking.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I applied for a Ulta Rewards MasterCard and I was approved for $1000. It took more than the 7 to 10 business days to receive the card. When I finally receive it I take my daughter to Ulta so that she can buy something as well as myself. Then bought a couple more things someone else making my spending purchases of $385.15. I was not going to use the credit card until I paid the full balance. I receive an alert from Experian stating this account was closed by the bank after a few weeks. I called and no one communicated why, but that I would receive a letter.

It's amazing how I use it and they close it. I started to research this bank and come to find out this is not the first time they do this for the same credit card Ulta. I had 3 other credit cards with Comenity Bank and they were all paid in full on time. So I had them all closed. I would not want to do any business with them. I had emailed customer services at Ulta to let them know they should not be in associations with Comenity. I am very disappointed on what and how they did this. I would rate this bank a zero.

Original review: July 7, 2019

Just like others, I accepted their credit offer. With FICO score of excellent I received limit over $10,000.00. I liked the way they display pending transactions, and decided to use this card for my business. As soon as the charges totaled substantial amount, they closed my account without reason hence adversely affecting my credit utilization. I paid the balance immediately, and they couldn't do much damage to my credit. Nevertheless I take exception to the fact that time, and time again, despite my multiple requests, they will not provide me with the source of information that prompted closing my account.

Original review: July 7, 2019

I was approved for an Ultamate Rewards MasterCard with a CL of $1,500. I thought that was fine and waited patiently for the card, which took a while to get to me but showed up as a new account on my credit reports. I went to go activate the card, which went through fine, and to my surprise it said I had no available credit. I thought it was a glitch, so I went ahead and tried to use it on the small purchase I already intended for it. Wasn't working, so I gave up. A couple days later it showed up on my credit report as a closed account and that they closed it.

Why do a hard hit on my credit, approve me, and then turn around and close it? I have never had that happen before from any company. My credit is fine, I make payments on time, and I have no collections. By researching them, they are actually known to do that to people. The bad thing is that many stores use them, so you have to take your chances with them if you want a charge card or the credit card variant.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

Original review: July 7, 2019

As far as collections go, they're definitely not the worst company I've ever dealt with. However they do have a tendency to talk over you. They'll ask you questions or give out ideas and how to help get it paid and if you try to respond they will completely interrupt you repeatedly over and over. The tone of customer service overall isn't terrible. But they're not super understanding. I battled cancer and having to move for medical reasons and the loss of my job over it sent me way behind, and they kept offering me a hardship program but with that I had to make a payment that to them was low but I just didn't have it. So I never qualified for this hardship program because I literally cannot afford to make the initial $20 payment when they needed me to make it. What I need is for them to set me up on something that can push my payments out a couple months so I could have it planned. They just made it really hard.

I told them I barely had money to pay for our everyday living expenses and they still wanted me to make payments immediately all because my husband has a job. Even though he's just a server right now and that's all that we can live off of until I'm able to get a job. And again, I went through cancer and I have a disability, so we have a limited income. They even suggested having to use my child support for the payment but considering the fact that were in a limited income, that child support is going to bills and to food for the children and rent. Overall, they do have some options which is nice, and the people have a kind tone compared to other collections, however they really just are too pushy and all it did was make me feel even worse that I got sick and lost my job.

Original review: July 5, 2019

BUYER BEWARE! This is a scam. The bank puts the pay off date much earlier than your payment date and unless you read the fine print to find this, you are going to end up making your last payment later than the pay off date. Then they charge you the full interest on 18 months because you did not pay by the due date. This is what happened to us. We are encouraging our Dental Clinic to stop using this plan as it is definitely set up to make money for the bank.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I called to make a payment on my Dental First credit card. Followed the prompts on the automated system. Entered my social security number 3x and I was connected to a representative “Mark”. Said, "the system doesn’t recognize your social because of a zero balance"! I Owe $2100.00 at the time. I said, "how is this possible?" “Mark” said, "you have a 0 balance." I said, "when will the account show a 0 balance." he said, "July’s statement!" I said, "Ok!" So it’s July the 2nd I received my July statement and now I owe $27 and for a late fee and the past due of $75 and & July’s payment of $75 on the 19th! I called and there is no recording of my call on the 19th. I spoke with a supervisor and she said she can’t do anything for me because the call wasn’t recorded!??? Before I hung up on the ** I said, "Comenity Bank can kiss my **!"

Original review: July 2, 2019

In August 2018, I received a letter from Comenity Bank advising that I could sign up for e-mail and text alerts for charges made to my B.J.’s World Mastercard credit card account. Up until this time, this credit card was the only one I had that did not offer this service. I attempted to sign up for these alerts but every time I tried, I got an error message that said, “We’re sorry. A technical glitch occurred and your request could not be completed. Please try again.” I tried setting different dollar amounts for the alerts; tried requesting only e-mail alerts and then only text alerts; a combination of the two; tried different web browsers; cleared the cache in between requests; and, even tried different computers in the house, including a Macbook, but still got the same error message.

On 8/26/18, I called Comenity’s main customer care number and was given another number to call. I was told a (trouble) ticket was submitted for the problem. Over the next couple of months, I tried again several more times to sign up for the alerts but still kept getting the same error message. I even tried on a friend’s computer at his house and still got the error message.

On 10/22/18, I called Comenity again to advise them that the problem had not been corrected. The customer service rep., Kaitlyn, told me that even though I was getting the error message, I should be seeing something below it asking me to enter my mobile confirmation code. She said she was seeing it on her end. She also said that if everything was working right, I should automatically receive a text message with the code when I attempt to sign up for the alerts. However, I was not seeing a place on the web page to enter a mobile confirmation code, regardless of which web browser I used, nor was I receiving a code via text. She said she would resubmit the (trouble) ticket.

I told her that I needed to speak with someone in tech support. She said that they really don’t have a tech support section. I should have asked where the tickets were being submitted. Not having a tech support section is concerning, because if their database of customer information is breached, then, first of all, how are they going to know it, and secondly, how are they going to know what to do to stop the breach? I would assume that even if they don’t have a dedicated tech support section, they subcontract this work out. So, there still should be someone who can resolve this issue.

Between Oct. 2018 and June 2019, I tried several more times to sign up for e-mail and text alerts, but continued to get the same error message. I called and e-mailed (sent secure message via their website) several times to complain again about the problem still not being corrected. If I e-mailed them they would just tell me to call their customer care number. I wasn’t wasting my time because I had already spoken with more than one rep., other than Kaitlyn, and 2 tickets had already been submitted.

On 6/3/19, I complained again via e-mail about not being able to set up the alerts. This time, I got a letter in the mail telling me to call their customer care number. I wrote a letter back telling them that this was a waste of time, as I had tried this more than once and none of their reps. could help. I told them to have whoever would be responsible for correcting the problem to call me, instead of me calling them and being on hold for who knows how long. However, I have yet a receive a response to my letter or a phone call.

Original review: July 1, 2019

Do not use Comenity Bank's credit card. We made a purchase from Arhaus (love the furniture there - this is not a ding against Arhaus) and used the 0% financing option through Comenity. They did not explain the terms of the payment plan well and we paid it off, in accordance with our obligation, within 6 months. Nevertheless, because we paid it off 2 days after 6 months from the actual purchase date, but within the 6 month period and billing date, which we had understood to be the relevant date, we were charged 100% of the interest from the original purchase. Our final payment outstanding payment as of that date was less than the interest that they ended up charging us on the entire thing. The bank was completely unwilling to work with us and their emails and website made no indication that this was the requirement. NEVER EVER finance or borrow or work with Comenity.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I am very careful with my only credit card. Last June 2018, a Victoria's Secret Associate "tricked" me into their Angel Card, stating that if I sign up for this card I would get a discount. They did Not mention it was a credit card and the remainder amount of my purchase would go in that card. I never used the card or even activated it. 4 months later I see 100s of dollars amount pending. I paid it off right away asking my account to be closed. The incompetent staff at both these organizations made no efforts to help me with the dispute and kept asking for payments only. The result is my CREDIT HISTORY IS DESTROYED!!! I am unable to get credit cards or rent an apartment because of this. And even now they keep reverting you to write letters for this matter at their PO Box which will never get responded back to. Am sure I am not the only one they have scammed this way.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I opened a CD account over two months ago. I noticed the funds had not been taken from my bank account, so I sent them multiple messages over the last month to try to get an answer as to what was going on with this, and I have received ZERO reply from them. Their message system specifically says 'we'll get back to you shortly' when you send them a message, but this is a flat out lie. I am left not knowing if the money is suddenly going to be removed from my bank account months after it should have been, or if I can use the funds for something else. I was expecting to be earning interest this whole time, but I am just left completely hanging by this company.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I have had many issues with this credit card. I originally opened it up to use at Express stores. They change your due date without telling you and send a letter 60 days later. DON'T USE THIS BANK!!!! THEN CHARGE YOU A $30 LATE FEE!!!! DON'T USE THIS BANK!!!!

Original review: June 20, 2019

Comenity regularly, deliberately (it's happened far, far too often to be mere incompetence...), misapplies my payments. By that I mean they apply my payments in ways other than as described in their card-member agreement and/or as I've requested during phone calls with their reps. Over the past almost 6 years I've had to get on the phone with them more than 6 times a year. Here's their trick - they offer very attractive 0% balance transfers with 3% one-time charge for more than 12 months, but rather than applying payments [IMPORTANT! AFTER any excess of the minimum payment. Learned THAT lesson the hard way...] to the balance with the highest APR they'll apply it to the LOWEST APR, which of course benefits them (and is fraud!).

Most recent example - I got on the phone last month to pay off a 0% promotional balance and make sure it was applied to the balance I requested (within my rights as a consumer and as described in their card-member agreement) before it expired and began accruing interest. I was assured over and over again that that would be done, and told that, no, they can't generate any kind of receipt or documentation that it had been done.

Got my statement and it shows that promotional balance - minus the 1% of that balance from the minimum payment - had been moved from a promotional to a revolving balance. MEANING THEY DELIBERATELY DID NOT DO WHAT I ASKED IN ORDER TO FRAUDULENTLY CHARGE ME INTEREST - AGAIN! My payment was deliberately misapplied to another promotional balance for no reason other than to, again fraudulently, charge me interest. After fighting through the automated gauntlet for almost 20 minutes I got on the phone with reps who gave me a world-class run-around of dates of Comenity's hijinks of applying payments and switching balances in excess of 2 weeks after my pro-active phone call, some of which were even after the statement closing date.

After more than 90 minutes the only response they could give me was that the balance that had been fraudulently transferred to revolving was switched back to promotional (with of course no way to send me a receipt or ANY kind of documentation...) as of that day, and instructions to call back if my next statement showed any fraudulently accrued interest - Oh don't worry Mr. X, we'll gladly remove any interest charges that shouldn't be there - yeah, right. Been down THAT road before with them - I'm still out more than a couple hundred $'s they refused to acknowledge and covered up with dizzying amounts of (ultimately unrelated..) documentation. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is too good to be true - that's certainly the case with Comenity.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I read about this bank on Bankrate.com with good interest rates for savings and CDs. The process to open a savings was pretty easy but website is clunky by comparison to other online banks. A few weeks later I attempted to open a one year CD using my same checking acct. and it went downhill from there. Before the CD was funded they said they need to do micro deposits from my checking acct (same acct I funded my saving with). What is wrong with these people? After a week no micro deposits...no transfer, no email, no phone no letter nothing. The CD acct disappeared from the website no explanation. I called and no clue why it happened. I asked to close my acct as I can't transfer money from savings. Two days so far and still waiting. Terrible Banking experience. Steer Clear of this so called Bank.

Original review: June 19, 2019

COMENITY does not deserve any star..... Don’t trust that 18 months no interest program, it’s a hook… We're so happy when Overstock offers 18 months no interest when made my purchase of Massage Chair. Received my bill from COMENITY - Overstock.com. Had set up a payment schedule to pay $101.00 every month of my $1,837.95 since the purchase made on Nov 2017. As of May 30, 2019 paid the remaining balance of $120.95 before the statement due date of June 4, 2019. Received the final statement, expecting $0 balance, but $434.83 instead for interest.

Tried to dispute the interest charges to COMENITY, and been told there's nothing they can do (customer service Angela and Supervisor Janine at COMENITY), because the no interest program ended on May 25, 2019. Okay, I'll understand and reasonable if I got charge 5 days of interest on remaining balance but COMENITY charged me interest based on the original purchase price with 29.24% interest rate. What happen to the money that I paid during the last 17 months? The customer service at "Comenity" definitely not do any service and no intention to help the consumer. When I called Angela at COMENITY, she said to me there's no way of remove or help on the interest charges.

I request to speak to a supervisor, Angela stated supervisor will tell me the exact same thing, then transfer me to Janine. Angela is totally right, Janine seems relaying what Angela had said. I told Janine, should I submit the case to small claim court, and she said "It's up to you." I asked, can I close the account? "I can help close the account for you right now." Overstock, please stop offer this 18 months program to any of your client. With a blink of careless it cost me $434.83. Stop the partnership with COMENITY. I feel I've been scammed and robbed. I'll not make any purchase with Overstock.

Original review: June 18, 2019

They do not post payments or transactions and charge a service fee that is unfair. They sent me the same response over and over about the charge like it's from a computer. I never know what my true balance is. I will never use them again.

Original review: June 17, 2019

Through the computer system I made a payment in full for the payoff balance. Three months later I receive a phone call that I am past due on my bill. They added interest and fees. As a customer, the pay off balance should equal the pay off balance. These scammers just lost me over $17 in interest and $50 in fees. Rip off.

Original review: June 14, 2019

They don't even deserve the 1 star, I would like to give them a negative number. I pay my bills timely online and did not received any notification that 12 month promotion is expiring, and now I am being charged with their high interest rate for the entire amount. I have tried to communicate with their customer service team several times, and they always have the same generic copy and paste answer. They will never get my business again due to lack of transparency and robotic customer service.

Original review: June 13, 2019

I AM PISSED!!!! Sorry, but I am fight texting right now and my explanation may jump everywhere but I hope everyone who reads this will get my point. I have been a loyal customer with NY & CO for 3 years and never missed a payment. I have received 2 credit limits since 2016. As of April 17 2019, I sent a payment (oops used the wrong account) so I immediately paid it without any late fees but later I checked my credit and it says account closed, WHAT! I called customer service. They informed me my account still active and I need to file dispute with credit bureau. Ok! So I did.

I filed a dispute that info reported is inaccurate according to 3 reps I spoke with at NY & CO. FILED April, May, and June all came back same result (info is accurate and will remain as closed). Then my credit score dropped. Omg! I am LIVID!!! Ooooo this is the kicker!!! The other day I logged into my account to pay my bill (on time as usual). What do I see?!!? I see they gave me a credit increase of 500.00. Wait wait. How is that possible??? Something fishy going on. THIS MUST STOP!! Oh I’m not finished yet because I have a story about Victoria Secret which I am posting in a few minutes????

Original review: June 11, 2019

I opened an account in March and didn't receive a paper bill until May 10 and already they had started charging a late fee. Since I was out of the country until the end of May (at which time they slapped on another late fee!) I now had a bill for three times the amount of my $20 purchase. I called and immediately paid the amount in full and cancelled the card. Then today, I get a letter recognizing the fact that I closed my account and had a current balance of $68.12!!?? Of course when I call, my balance is $0. Comenity Bank is totally irresponsible when it comes to billing and statements. I always pay my bills on time and this is very frustrating to me. Victoria's Secret, don't ever count on me to get one of your credit cards and I'm not sure I can even bring myself to shopping there again. Please get yourself a different system.

Original review: June 5, 2019

This is what I went through with my Ann Taylor Loft store card, which I hardly used as is. My account was stolen and maxed out. It turns out that in order to use one of these cards in a store, is walk in there with your name and phone number, and pretend they forgot the card. They do not ask for an ID or anything - or at least so I was told when I reported the fraud. That is how seriously Comenity and Ann Taylor take security.

The fraudulent balance was removed with no argument, though I had to fill out an extensive form (not something any other credit card has asked me to do and I have had fraud on a Capital One card and one an American Express card before). The person I spoke to on the phone also advised that I can set a pin password on my account, which would prevent the card being used in the store without a pin. I agreed to add a pin to my card.

A few months later I am trying to make a purchase on Ann Taylor Loft online. The card keeps being denied. I called to understand why and was repeatedly put on hold, then I was transferred to someone who simply offered to complete the purchase for me without resolving the underlying card issue. The person did not even have the same prices for the items I had in my cart. I told them I want the card issue resolved and not to try to complete this purchase through them. Eventually I said I just want to close the card as it is too frustrating to use.

Transferred yet again to close my account - this third person explains that by having a pin on my card I can not use it to make online purchases. I never agreed to that, that is not how the pin was supposed to work. Basically my choice is to either not have the ability to make online purchases and have my card be secure, or to allow someone to make purchases with just my name and number. I told him I want to close the card repeatedly, until he finally stopped trying to argue me out of it and said my account is closed. Now I go online and see that my account is still not closed. I can't deal with this bank anymore. I will never open a card with them again.

Original review: May 30, 2019

After researching high yield savings accounts and seeing Comenity Direct's High Yield Savings Account 2.48% APY product advertised on a number of financial websites (e.g., Bankrate.com, Financialmentor.com, Magnifymoney.com, etc.) with terms that sound right for me, I apply using their online website application. I input my personal information - name, address, social security number. I come to a page from which I can choose the bank I want to transfer money from to fund my Comenity savings account as you need $100 minimum to open the account, and I select one of my other banks inputting my user ID and password for my other bank account (a nationally known bank) and then after ALL that, I get a screen that says they are unable to approve me for a Comenity Direct high-yield savings account. WHAT?!?

I call their customer service number to explain what happened and they tell me they cannot tell me why I was denied... It is against their bank policy. I speak with a call center supervisor who tells me the same thing. I ask to speak to one of their attorneys and they tell me they cannot transfer me to anyone in their corporate office but give me a customer service email address to make my complaint. SO BE AWARE that they took my personal information and linked to my other bank account, and after all that, denied me their advertised product. That is disgraceful and I will investigate if it is illegal to do so without providing any reasoning. They should warn a consumer that they may be denied BEFORE they take all their personal information like that.

I've never even heard of not being able to open a savings account! They tell me I might want to check my credit reports. Is that a hint of the reason for denial? I subscribe to myFICO.com, I'm well aware of my healthy credit scores and reports and I can't believe it has anything to do with my credit score or reports. Which leads me to suspect they are fraudulently setting consumers up to divulge personal information, who knows what they will do with that information now, and/or they are discriminating against consumers for reasons that violate federal banking or other regulations and that is why they refuse to explain why a consumer is denied a savings account.

Original review: May 28, 2019

While my overall experience with Comenity has been neutral, the bank has a strange business practice that potential customers should be aware of. When, for whatever reason, the bank suspends the account (questionable transactions, security concerns, etc) the policy of the bank is to NOT alert the account owner or customer (i.e., no text message, no email, no call). The customer only finds out there's a problem when the card is denied by the merchant. This can be embarrassing and certainly not a good customer experience. Repeated attempts to get resolution to this complaint have not been successful. I filed a complaint with BBB where I discovered the bank has the lowest rating "F". Clearly something's wrong with Comenity's management.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Comenity charged me 1900 dollars in deferred interest. I never received a statement, courtesy letter... Absolutely nothing. I called a few months prior to the charge to have my address updated. Of course the manager claims there are no records of me calling requesting paper statement and address updates. I paid my remaining $652 remaining the day I found out which was exactly one month after the charge. I would like to see these criminals see justice. I have excellent credit and always pay my bills. I use Comenity for my Victoria’s Secret card as well. I will be closing that account. They have lost my business and trust.

Original review: May 20, 2019

I successfully opened a savings account but when I tried to add a CD account, I kept getting denied, which is really strange since I have a credit score of 830. Even then, this is a CD and not a credit card so why would you deny a CD account? I called their 800 number but that number is only for the credit card department. They tried to route me to the savings department, but I was routed back to the exact same 800 number. It's like the savings department does not exist! So I tried to email them and contact them online, only to have really slow response, and someone promising me they will call me when they didn't. Something fishy is going on and I might have to pull out all my savings from the account I just opened, and run.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Comenity Bank has a decidedly anti-disabled attitude. They claim they treat all their customers "fairly and equally", which is ableist rhetoric; it's like telling someone that since some people don't need a wheelchair or a hearing aid, nobody should use one at all so it can be "fair and equal". They would rather disabled people drag themselves around on the ground so that things are "fair and equal". These kind of ableist company policies are disgusting.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Will someone please tell me how to get in touch with corporate. I have experienced every single concern. Something has to be done. I'm in fear that if I pay them and close them I could hurt my credit score only to find out yesterday that one my paid accounts had been closed due to inactivity. This Comenity bank can't get away with this, my FICO score has dropped 15 points dealing with this mess. Someone please help and post about so that we can help everyone else.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Tried to open a saving account and was denied. Contacted the bank for an explanation (required by law by the way) and was told they did not have to explain anything at all. No idea how someone can be denied opening a saving account. Opened with Citi the very next day.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I am in the process rebuilding my credit after a bankruptcy a few years ago. I opened accounts with a small limit with some different businesses that use Comenity (mostly fashion/retail). I have paid all payments on time and all of a sudden, they lowered my limits due to a temporary decline in my credit score due to an error that was taken care of. My score recovered after the error was taken care of but they used that one moment in time as an excuse to lower the ;limits on all the accounts that they service, which in turn caused my credit score to go down more. I am in the process of paying off and closing all Comenity serviced accounts. The Businesses (as well as Comenity) will be the ones to lose as they will not get my business anymore.

Comenity Company Information