3.6/5 (620 ratings)

About Comenity

Comenity Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

Original review: May 18, 2021

I came to Vacation Club (Comenity Capital Bank) from Wyndham Resort Purchase. The pitch was 6 months interest free if paid by 2 April 2021. On 12 March I obtained an official check from my credit union for the $6514 charge and put it in the mail. I waited a week and started follow up calls and nothing was found. On 29 March my Credit Union called as they had received a letter form Comenity that they couldn't find the account (which was on the check) and so any issue was clarified and sent back to Comenity.

More calls in April and still they could not find the check so on 20 April I had to put a stop payment in. It looks like deliberate actions to force payment of $800+ and $20% interest. I sent my complaint to the dispute dept in Ohio on 21 Apr and on 05/17 I get a letter saying NO! to my claim. I paid the $6514 on 20 April via routing number while waiting for dispute. I will convey my assumption of deliberate crookery by Comenity to steal the $800 interest. I see a number of other similar actions by other reviewers. The bank needs to be investigated and I am going to suggest Wyndham cease and desist using them for the customers.

Original review: May 11, 2021

I have several retailer cards through them and I'm getting the feeling that management of different accounts might have something to do with the retail company overseeing their work. I have had no issues with my Ulta card, however, my with Forever 21 card, there is always conveniently "technical issues" when trying to log in every month the day before my due date to pay my balance. I don't set up auto payments because I don't carry a balance. Since I have a newborn, it's difficult to remember to try again later, so then you end up with a late fee. This has happened 3 months in a row since I've been using the card this year....

I'm paying off the late fee balance and canceling this card. Truthfully, the perks of a Forever 21 card are not worth the hassle and inconvenience at all. I highly do not recommend opening an account with them and I feel there should be some sort of investigation into these "technical issues" that conveniently occur the day before and day of people's due dates but not any other time of the month.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 3, 2021

Like others, I’ve had 3 credit cards with CB over the last 3 years. Paid my bill on time and utilized my cards here and there but never to a point where I just went months not using my cards. It appears this company is only interested in you having their credit cards/promotional plans if they believe they can make money off you through late fees and interest.

I was never late on none of my cards, however, the moment I paid my credit cards off in its entirety, it took them forever to update my account with the credit bureaus but once they did, not even a month later I receive an email weeks apart for each store stating my account was being closed due to inactivity/or information from my credit report. Mind you my score went up even more after paying my cards off. Now they are going to bring my score down through lowering my limit and closing my account. Pissed yes but yet relieved... Glad this bank is out my pockets and off my credit report... Checking it randomly without notification.

Original review: April 30, 2021

I’ve had 3 cards with this bank. They are known to lower your limit if you pay card off in one large lump sum. Not only do they lower your limit, but they closed my account for inactivity!! I have for years bought clothes for birthdays, Christmas and school year, and not once did they close my account due to inactivity when I had a balance, but once I paid off my total, now they want to say they closed my account due to inactivity. Never one late payment, never once went over limit!! I thought it was just a fluke the first time, but here I am 3 cards later, from different retailers, all closed. Mind you, I paid off my cards in February, my cards were used in December, we are now in April... closed. So not only did I have a hit to my credit (which I baby very much) when they lowered my limit, but then a huge hit when they closed. Please. If you care about your credit, this is not the bank for you. They only want you when they can collect interest and late fees from you.

Original review: April 22, 2021

So I was shopping in what use to be one of my favorite stores in the mall NY$Co. I was asked if I wanted to apply for a store credit card and if approve I can get an additional percentage off my purchases. I was approved for a credit line of $500. Wow! This is great. A few weeks later I made a few other purchases nothing large so my total is about $200 all together (including first purchases). I receive the first bill and made payment. Second bill and made payment on time. About a month later after making payment I went shopping and now my bill is close to $300 and now we run into problems. I was late making the fifth month payment and I am alright with that and I eat the astronomical late fee penalty.

I experienced a flood in my home that sent all matters into a tail spend so I contact all my creditors to let them know my circumstances. Would you know it. Out of all of my creditors COMENITY BANK was the worst one to deal with...Yes, they were Horrible and Unjust! I told them it would be a few months before I could get back on track but I will and they continue to hit me with late fees and other penalties...My account went from $294 to a whopping $656. I asked them to close the account so that I won't incur any additional fees and do you know they denied me...kept the account open and continued to apply late fees and penalties. I was making small payments to try to kill some of the interest and you guessed it nothing happened. The account is still growing.

When COMENITY BANK finally finished with me I owed them over $1300 (USD). I refused to pay that amount. It was not FAIR OR JUST! I spoke to numerous representatives and persons in management to please close my account...Hmm they closed it by sending me over to collections. Collections dropped me down to $1100. I made two payments totaling $123 and told the guy I may not be able to make every month but I will do my best ....The PANDEMIC hits, I've been FURLOUGHED which means for me My income has been reduced by $200...Oh but it gets better .. then they sued me. Garnished my wages.

I know we are living in the last days critical times hard to deal with (2 Timothy 3:1-5) I just never thought it would happen to me. I was honest the entire time letting the people know my circumstances, however, HONESTY goes nowhere in today's society. I truly have learned in this world people aren't honest nor do they care about others. I know nothing will happen to them COMENITY BANK... I just thought people should know and to beware. You have been warn!!!

Original review: April 21, 2021

I have an 18 month loan - I have made electronic payments on the 6th of every month - my payment due date is the 10th - was going fine - now, I have 3 payments remaining and will be paid in full 4 months early. Suddenly, they held my payment and didn't process it for 3 days - past the due date, so late fee attached - again, the next month I moved the payment to the 5th of the month - again, this time held for processing for 8 days so again, a late fee. They say their policy indicates their processing is not specified so don't count on the payment being done in time.

I pay all my bills electronically - they are the only company to this - to hold a payment even though the bank made sure the payment arrived by the date I specified - sometime 4-5 days early - and yet, Dental First delayed the processing to add a late fee - so, now, I have another month payment to add because they delayed the processing 3-8 days to add a late fee. Since it was being paid all along electronically, why the sudden processing issue with these last few payments that would have the loan be done early.

I will never recommend this company to anyone - and will shout it in front of the dentist office to anyone considering it - do not use this company. Their customer service team is so inadequate - so not able to do anything or answer any question. After I gave my name and account number, they still needed to know what state I am in to be able to look up my account - can you believe that one. Oh my....never - so bad...

Original review: April 19, 2021

I have had several promotional plans with them. My 21 year old son died and I missed paying a furniture company promotional plan off by 5 days. I asked them a consideration due to the circumstances and they told me, "NO it's a valid charge" and "Too bad". Also, the furniture was back ordered for 6 months and I was charged before I received the merchandise. I called the furniture store and they said I needed to call Comenity. When I called them they said that's how it worked sorry. So I made payments for 6 months on a product that I didn't have and wasn't even sure if I was ever going to receive. Then I'm grieving the loss of my son and they charge me a huge finance charge for 18 months of the original balance. Way to stick it to you when you're down. Horrible company.

Original review: April 9, 2021

I have never been a fan of Comenity Bank. They are not a good lender and they are predators. I had a store card for many years with Comenity. Always paid on time, not one late payment. In August 2020 I paid off the $1800 balance and had a $0 balance. The store charged $19 to my credit card without me knowing – for some sort of “club” in November 2020. I did not receive an email from Comenity that my statement was ready (which I have in the past when it had a balance) and had no reason to even look at that card since I literally just paid it in full. In March 2021 I get call from an unidentified phone number on my work line (late at night). No message. I google the number to see it is Comenity. I then log into all my store credit card accounts to see why they might be calling me. Well by then they had reported me as 60 days late to all 3 credit bureaus and the $19 charge became $77. I disputed this with them and was ignored.

I went to the BBB and the CFC, contacted Comenity to explain what happened and begged them to remove the negative items from my credit report since it plummeted 128 points. No lender would let a customer go 4 months without paying before contacting them. Not one. They also would not call from an anonymous number and not leave a message and consider that notifying the customer. Comenity clearly did this on purpose. They could have easily mitigated their damages and mine by simply calling and leaving a message or sending an email that my account needs attention. Only a bank who purposely wants to charge excessive fees and ruin their customer’s credit would do this. I disputed the negative items on my credit report and was denied. They say the charge is valid and to talk to the store. That was the advice I got in April 2021 for a charge made in November 2020.

Comenity has the power to help me and isn’t. There would be no reason someone would pay off a card two months earlier, then charge $19 and never pay it. It is clear that I did not know, I wasn’t alerted and by the time I was the damage that will impact me for 10 years has already happened. I paid the $77 and asked them to close my account. I guess they got the last laugh here, but I’m not done with them for sure. This could not possibly be legal and certainly is not ethical.

Original review: March 30, 2021

Disgraceful! These people are the absolute worst for shady incorrect interest charges. They're the worst for CS. I was farmed to this crap bank through both Amazon and Sephora without my knowledge. On both occasions I've noticed inaccurate billing via payment and purchase history. Completely unacceptable business culture. They couldn't care less. They also farmed my account for Mattress Firm which dumped their ** soon after as well as Wayfair. Get a grip and find a reliable reputable bank to farm my business to, but not before I agree, for God's sake, now I'm repulsed by all these businesses' bad decisions. You've been warned!

Original review: March 20, 2021

Horrible customer service, broken promises, deceiving practices. They incorrectly placed a promo balance a year ago during the pandemic, not only they didn't fix the mistake, they refused to allocate payments to try to bring the balance down. I'm loyal to IKEA but will never use COMENITY ever again. Their practices have no consideration for consumer rights, they just want to charge 21.99% on an incorrect sale. Beware!

Comenity Company Information