1.06/5

Looking for a great Credit Card?

347 Comenity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

Stay away from any cards by Comenity! I have about 7 cards with them, never late on a payment. I recently paid off a few and made some large payments on others. Today I got an e-mail from a credit monitoring website that my score had dropped due to a creditor closing an account. I checked, they closed my Pier 1 account with no notice! I've never been late on any of my payments, and in fact pay them early. I had 500.00 available credit, with 0 balance, and they closed it for no reason!

Also, my Loft card and New York and Company they reduced the available credit on, which also made my credit score go down. I closed my Loft card with them today, as I just paid it off and am afraid they would close that too, and make my score drop even more. I'd rather close them myself than have them do it. They seemed to like it better when I was making the minimum payment each month. Try to be responsible and pay them off or down, and that's the thanks you get, screwed up credit!! Never again.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I had gotten a $4000 limit at Zales for a purchase. Was told to pay it off in a year no interest and they told me how much to pay for my final payment. I paid it and 2 weeks later they added $467 to my bill saying I owed $30 off my final payment and no one can adjust it or help. I have to pay it off. Stay away from this bank. They are out here to rob people.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

No clear answer and claims that they are in the 'Right' to do this. They might be but it is NOT ethical at all. 12/19 Promo Finance Charge 657.72, 1/12 Finance Charge 657.72, 1/12 Promo to Revolving 1,873.31, 2/9 Finance Charge 58.97. My original purchase was for 2,194.31. Current balance with consistent monthly payments 2,039.61. I owe only 100.00 less than the original charge 2 yrs later. Will NEVER use them again. Will be paying them off this year.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I had a Victoria's Secret credit card since 2002. I had never made a late payment, and still have a balance of a few hundred dollars on the account. I get a letter that my account had been reviewed and was closed. I immediately call Comenity customer service for the VS credit card and was told that the bank has the right to review accounts and close them at any time. The reason was vaguely given that my billing goes to a PO BOX, which it had for the entire time I had the card, so this made no sense to me. I live in a rural community and post office boxes are very common so that we don't have to maintain a personal mailbox. I was told since the account was closed, they could not re-open it, and I would have to re-apply for a brand new account. I declined and simply said I would pay the balance I owe. I am so dissatisfied with them just closing the account with no advanced warning, especially after being a loyal customer.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I have been a J.Crew card member for over 10 years and have never experienced such terrible customer service in my life since J.Crew switched to Comenity a few years ago. There was apparently an attempted fraud on my account so Comenity sent me a letter which said they were suspending my account due to security concerns and that I needed to send in a few identification items (Driver's license, etc.) within THIRTY days or else they would close my account. I sent in the items but they didn't receive them which is hard to believe. But ok, even if that were true, they terminated my account WITHOUT sending me a letter, email, giving me a call, nothing, to let me know that my account was terminated. That is outrageous to me. Had I known they terminated it, I would have RESENT the information they needed.

They are now refusing to give me ANY information about the fraud that transpired on my account because my account has been cancelled. They also said I need to reapply for a CC and they can't reactivate my old card. I just want to say, that never in my life, has the fraud department at a company been so rude. They never said that they were sorry this happened to me or how could they help. Every person I talked to was impatient and treated me like I was wasting their time and they needed to go back to watching TV. They wouldn't even give me basic information about the fraud so that I could check my other credit cards and accounts to make sure this didn't happen elsewhere.

Second, their payment system online does NOT always work. In fact, I have had SEVERAL occasions where my payments did not go through online but went through via my checking account and then I was charged a late fee and an interest charge by Comenity. On my last payment, this is what happened and they charged a late fee and interest charge. I asked for that back since I tried to put the payment through on the payment date and they said, “Sorry, your account is now closed, so you can't get anything back.”

I kept reminding them that I have been a member for over 10 years and a good one at that. The fraud department literally said to me, "that doesn't matter to us mam." Disgusting behavior. DON'T GET A CREDIT CARD WITH THEM. They will not help you with your account EVEN IF THERE IS A FRAUD ON IT. They should be dismantled and reported to whatever banking regulatory body controls. A fraud department is supposed to serve YOU, the customer, the victim, when a fraud has been attempted. It was very clear to me that they were only protecting themselves and not me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

We purchased a trip to China in July of 2017 and purchased it on our Comenity Toyota Visa Card. We were notified in August of 2018 that the Company went out of business for out October 2018 Trip. Our friends put their trip cost on a Mastercard and received a credit in three weeks. We have been told that there is nothing they can do, to yes file a claim with Visa Insurance Carrier for a refund of travel cost up to $2000. Also were told that we would receive a refund of the foreign transaction fees only to receive an email 2 hours later to say that would not happen. Still waiting for refund and they keep asking for more documents that they already have or refer you to the insurance company. DO NOT DO BUSINESS with them.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

My husband brought several thousand dollars worth of jewelry from Kay Jewelers with insurance the banking and payments were transferred to Comenity Bank. We spent money on insurance through Kay Jewelers and it was canceled before the Comenity Bank was transferred. Which makes no sense since they are the same insurance company 3rd party that Comenity Bank uses. So after we find out this bank took over we tried to find out about our coverage given the run around then asked about new insurance no help. Finally account holder has heart attack and ended up with quadruple bypass surgery. Comenity Bank would not help defer payments nor help me with insurance options. I would rather return the jewelry. The sad thing is the insurance would have covered the balance but they don't have an answer of why we were not able to see this online until today and why it was not offered.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Disgusted by their total nonchalant attitude about customer service and trying to accommodate a customer in any fashion. I am so angry right now I am seeing red. I have been a long time Victoria’s Secret customer and have a large available credit on my credit card. I have never been late on my payment. Never missed a payment on over the last 20 years of having their card. I’m sure I’ve paid quite a bit of money and interest. For some reason I couldn’t get into my online account so I decided to call them directly and for some reason they had the wrong bank account listed. No problem, I called and talked to customer service Erik ID number **, explain the whole situation to him and ask if you would kindly update my bank information and I would make my payment right away on the phone.

I was quickly informed that he was going to charge me nine dollar fee. I asked him if he could do one time courtesy and waive the fee since I have never asked them to take a payment by phone the whole time I have been with them. Answer was flat out “no we cannot do any courtesies that’s why we give you the option to make payments other ways.” I immediately asked for their corporate phone number and conveniently the phone went dead. I call back when I spoke with a supervisor by the name of the Lakeshia ID number **. I asked her the same thing if she would be willing to waive nine dollar fee since I’ve been a great customer for 20 years, And the answer was adamantly no. So I said to her you would rather lose a great customer of 20 years because you will not waive a one time nine dollar service fee, her answer said yes and my account is now closed.

I know that this will bring my credit score down a little bit but at this point I do not care because I will never use them for any credit again. I am disgusted they are so concerned about a measly nine dollars, when God only knows how much interest they have made off me in the past 20 years. I have credit cards with other companies and I know for a fact if I called them they would be more than accommodating to waive a one time fee to make a payment over the telephone. Lol my payment is $24 to pay my credit card balance. If you ever see a credit card with this bank attached to it run as fast as you can and go with Discover or some other credit card. This company does not want good customers or they wouldn’t run them off after 20 years with their strict rules about charging nine dollar fee to take a payment over the phone. I’m definitely going to file a complaint just based on their LACK of customer service.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

This review is for my Pottery Barn card, which is issued by Comenity Bank. Do your homework before applying for this card. This card has a high interest rate with high late fees, and horrible customer service as stated by many other reviewers. After approving you for the card and subsequently using the card with 100% on-time payments, they may suddenly ask you for copies of your driver's license and social security card before they'll let you continue using the card, for no other reason than they feel the need. Huh? I have never had a credit card ask me for that information. Also note that their system is set up to surreptitiously charge their customers exorbitant late fees and finance charges. How do they do this? By stating that the due date is on a specific date, let's say the 16th of the month, as an example, but then imposing an early cutoff time on that day in order for the cardholder to avoid the late fee and finance charges.

Depending on your time zone, the payment could be due as early 2pm on the due date. If you pay this bill online directly through Comenity Bank's website on the due date, but pay it at 2:01pm...Wham! You will be assessed a $37 late fee and finance charges. Well played Comenity Bank! Very sneaky and underhanded! Can you call Comenity Bank's customer service and get these fees waived? No, you cannot! Even if you are one of their best customers and charge $4000/month on this card, the answer is still "NO"! If this happens to you and you request that the account be closed, here is the response you'll receive--a very syrupy letter that says:

"Thank you for your time as a valued card member. We have appreciated the opportunity to serve you and are happy to assist with any future needs regarding your credit card account." "We have appreciated the opportunity to serve you and are happy to assist with any future needs"? How about crediting back your ridiculous late fees and finance charges on my account when the payment was paid on the due date Comenity Bank? You most definitely will not be helping me with any future needs; that I can say with 100% certainty. My experience as a customer using Comenity Bank's card has been the worst I've ever experienced. Comenity Bank has not helped me in any way, but in fact has "strong armed" me into paying unwarranted fees.

I find it laughable that Comenity Bank thinks they have "served" me, when in fact they have stolen from me by covertly setting up a system in the hopes that many unsuspecting customers won't look at the fine print -- that the due date they are referring to is not actually the whole day, but a partial day. I've had various credit cards over the past 30 years, but none as deplorable as this one from Comenity Bank. I wish I could give Comenity Bank a zero star review. They certainly deserve it for their unethical practices. Shame on you Comenity Bank!

Furthermore, Pottery Barn is no longer allowing customers to use their Pottery Barn card that is issued by Comenity Bank to make purchases unless they are at the store in person to present the card. This is also true of their reward certificates. I have been told by many Pottery Barn employees that their company is concerned about the lack of security that Comenity Bank provides their cardholders. With all of the above-mentioned reasons, as well as all of the negative reviews from Comenity Bank cardholders, you would think that Pottery Barn would provide a better card and rewards program for their customers.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Cardholder for years. High credit limit over $10,000 - NEVER missed a payment - paid in full then they lowered my available credit to $750 and said I had a credit score of 400!!! I work in the financial industry, have access to all 3 bureaus, just refinanced my house, and my score is in mid 700s. I called, wrote and never got an explanation. They refused to tell me what credit bureau they used. Isn't fraudulent credit reporting illegal? I closed the card. Horrible business practices.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Shame on Comenity Bank! I received a surprising letter from them that my HSN credit card account was now closed. I have 18+ years of excellent payment history with that card. I called 5 times and got passed around Comenity and transferred to HSN with no good answer from anyone. I would really like to have my account back with HSN. But HSN said it is in the hands of Comenity Bank. Comenity said they closed my account because they did not have a physical address! Weeks before the "closed account" letter, they left a voicemail message that I promptly returned and was on hold for over 15 minutes (no exaggeration) so I hung up and forgot about it.

Comenity should have sent a letter requesting the info that they needed to keep the account open. This whole thing sounds fishy and unfair to consumers. What can we do about this? I am furious that the only solution they offered was to re-apply for a new card. So I did, and still have not gotten a response. I have an excellent credit score in the 800 range and fear that it could be compromised by Comenity's careless action.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

I purchase patio chairs and Canopy from Big Lots in March of 2017 in which I opened an account under 12 month promotional special. My balance came to 750. So I began to make payments on my account. The first month I miss because I didn't know I was due. My fault. After this for the next 6 months my payments were made on time with the exception of one. I was 2 days late. Paid 50 late fee. Was 35 for 2 days! I got down to $260 New Balance. Because I had not paid off 260 balance within 12 months I was hit with a $406 fee added on and then another $206 for which I don't even know what for!? More interest!

This pushed me all the way back like I never made a payment. Insult to injury... I'm paying more than the minimum $60 monthly and they're still taking $17 out of this! What the heck! Sooo unfair. You need to be sued again for these unfair multiple interest add ons even with making payments on time 6 months. Now the balance seems to never get paid down. Please don't open an account with this bank! Never Again. Highway robbery!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I received a letter from Comenity Bank a couple of days ago stating that they closed my account due to missing information. I have been with the Children's Place Card for years now and had not had any problems when this card still belonged to Citibank. This morning I called their customer service line and spoke with a CSR and supervisor and neither of the two had any sincerity or concern on the matter. The supervisor Gabriel was the worst between the two as he was extremely passive and uncaring, just had a sort of "sorry for you but oh well" type of attitude.

The CSR claimed they sent out 1 letter August 1st, and Gabriel states they made phone calls but that they do not leave messages. That is extremely unacceptable and I explained to him they should have done better at reaching out to their customers, they could have easily added pop-ups to the online portals requesting such information, sent out a secure message in the message center or left voicemails if they really did actually call.

I also explained to him how this hurts your consumer's overall credit, and that if they needed these addresses so by then why were they not obtained after the numerous credit increases they had given me recently. This company handled this matter very poorly and had no regard for its consumers. I will never apply for another card from this company and will no longer be shopping at Children's Place because they made the choice to switch from Citibank to this poor choice of a company as their credit card issuer.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I am following up on my earlier Overstock account post where the card is issued by Comenity Bank. I spoke with a supervisor in customer service on Monday and gave them until the 24th to have my credit card payments correctly applied. This means to credit my revolving balance and show it with a zero balance and no finance charges. I should now have a zero balance on revolving and promotional balances totaling 1000.00. Instead I now have a revolving credit balance of $529.78 and a promotional balance of 1420.00. These two figures do not even make the 1000.00 I owe.

After reading all of the credit score issues people have had because of this bank, I am a nervous wreck. Thus far I have not been damaged, an 834 on one reporting company and an 850 on the other. I say this for those of you who think we are whining because we haven't paid our bills and are just getting what we deserve. I have paid my bill and then much more and within a week of receiving said bill. I too am getting the run around in the past 6 weeks that mail is being returned, or I haven't provided a land line number; I do not have a land line number and have received all of my statements, so not sure what mail was returned. I have lived in the same house for 23 years, had the same job for 25 years and no land line for at least 3 years if not more.

I am waiting until Monday, because I said I would, but was curious about how many complaints had been filed with the CFPB about this company. After reading all the complaints and apparently financial damage from ruined credit scores Comenity has caused, I found only two complaints. Maybe venting in here makes you feel better, but if they cannot respond and give you proper resolution you are better served by filing a complaint with the CFPB. That will be my next step, especially if there is any form of retaliation that affects my credit score such as cancelling my card, dropping my balance or reporting negatively to the credit bureaus. I hope this helps and hope that I do not end up in the same place many of you are in.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

My Comenity Lexus Pursuits card has been PAID IN FULL for many months now... There is ZERO BALANCE, and the card is essentially useless because you can ONLY use it at a Lexus dealer. I found out today from a Credit Bureau that Comenity CLOSED MY ZERO BALANCE credit card because they felt like it... To add insult to injury, they REPORTED IT to the Credit Bureaus!!! I have been a PERFECT CUSTOMER... PERFECT. They are CRAZY and weirdly UNETHICAL... They are reckless and sadistic. And Ive spoken to a class action attorney. Apparently many customer have been abused in similar damaging fashion. HOW DARE THEY.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

My Comenity bank credit card was recently closed! I received a message from the credit bureau that there was a problem. My credit score is over 800. The following day I received a letter from Comenity bank saying my account was closed. I called them and asked why and that I had an account with Ann Taylor/Loft for over 25 years. The lady said they couldn't reach me to update my information. I told her my information has never changed. That's when she told me that I had a PO Box and they needed a physical address. I live on a private road and the USPS doesn't come down my road. She said some people got letters and some people got phone calls. I told her I did not receive a letter or a phone call.

She then told me if I didn't get a letter I definitely got a phone call. I told her I received no messages because if I had, I would have called them back. No they don't leave messages for privacy issues, they also don't send an email. When asked if the phone calls had their ID of Comenity bank or Ann Taylor along with number and her answer was no. I told her I hope she knows most people do not answer phone if they don't recognize the number. Frustrated by her lack of concern. Then she asked me if I wanted to open another account. Nope!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I have shopped and had a Talbots credit card since 1984. I have never been late on any payment and have always paid in full each month. Several years ago, the company went with Comenity. I was one of those whose information was hacked from Equifax. They recommended freezing my account there which I did. Evidently, Comenity tried to check something from them and was refused. My credit score is 850. I received a letter from Comenity saying that they had closed my account. The baffling part was the letter explained that my account at Pier 1 was closed. I have never had an account there.

So I called the number given. I spoke with a nice young man who really tried to help. He said that he thought it was that my birth date was incorrect. And it was. He corrected it and thought he had cleared everything up. But his supervisor said the account was already closed, and I had to reapply. So I have been a customer of Talbots for 34 years, but no longer. I am guessing that my birthdate was the date that Comenity bank took over the Talbot accounts. So Good-Bye Talbots. I enjoyed your clothes for 34 years, but you no longer want me. Chico’s and J. Jill Here I come.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

First got a Belk card over 10 yrs ago. Didn't use it often enough so I cancelled it and paid off the balance. Fast forward to today, and I have a Torrid and NY&Co card. I cancelled the NY&Co card and paid off the balance (again just didn't shop there enough) and kept the Torrid card. In the last year I started receiving calls about a delinquent Belk card from them. I checked my credit report - and it's not there. Apparently even after I paid the balance and cancelled the account, they continued to charge me late fees! They now claim I owe them over $700 for a card I closed over 10 years ago. Thankfully it's an old enough account that it doesn't impact my score or credit!

I just paid the minimum payment on my Torrid account, and they're saying that I didn't and I'll still get a late fee. Even though I paid the minimum ON TIME. They're claiming the minimum was $100 more than what I saw on my online account! I love shopping at Torrid - but if this is what I am going to have to continue to deal with then I'd rather cancel the card and just shop there with my debit card or cash. Disgusting company.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

This is the most horrible customer service fail I have ever experienced from any of my credit cards in my entire life. After almost 20 years of carrying the Victoria's Secret Angel card, I received a letter in the mail a couple days ago, stating that my account had been closed, due to missing personal information on my account. I called to speak with customer service today, and spent a couple hours on the phone, being "escalated" up through the ranks, until I finally reached a senior supervisor. The first story they gave me, from the lowest ranks, was that they sent out letters earlier in the year, letting cardholders know that they needed to update their account information with a physical street address, and anyone who didn't would have their account closed. I never received such a letter, and I have always made sure my account information was current.

In fact, just a couple weeks ago I called customer service to update my account to my new mailing address. I asked if I could use a P.O. box, and they told me that was fine. When I called customer service today, they could not explain why it was ok a couple weeks ago, even though they supposedly knew that I needed a street address since earlier in the year. The story didn't make sense, so I asked to speak with supervisors that could reinstate my account. When I finally reached the top supervisor, she explained to me that only four days before they closed my account, they received information regarding the Patriot Act, requiring all accounts to have a physical street address. Any accounts that had a P.O. box as the mailing address was closed without any prior notice... no letter, no email, no phone call... though they have ALL of that information for me in my account.

She also said that since "the system" closed over 50,000 accounts, they could not reinstate any of them, even if they were long-term accounts in good standing, such as mine. I argued that a human created "the system", and whoever that is certainly could reverse it. She explained that it would be illegal, as it would be going against the Patriot Act.

I then asked her why none of my other 12 credit cards had said anything to me about the Patriot Act, nor had they closed my accounts. She had no answer or explanation. I got the feeling that there was something else going on, and the Patriot Act excuse was just a cover-up. She had the audacity to encourage me to reapply for the card! Excuse me??!! Why should I need to reapply for a card I have been using for almost 20 years??!! NO THANK YOU! You have lost this loyal customer and my business! I will never again have a credit card that is backed by Comenity Bank.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I had 3 cards with Comenity bank, Torrid, Ultra, Boscov's. Never late, balanced paid off quickly, spent a lot of money at Boscov's and would pay them off within the month maybe two. One day I get home to find 3 letters. Boscov's allowed this dumb company to lower my limit from 1500 to $200!!! They also closed my other 2 accounts for both inactivity and bad credit reports. I sent them a letter explaining my credit report they pulled 2 months ago was corrected after mistakes were found and my score was back up. I reminded them I was an active and responsible card holder and asked them to reconsider... I was promptly told no... This company is a nightmare... The stores involved with this company should drop them... Because they lost my business because of them.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

This company is single handedly responsible for killing my credit score. They reduced the credit limit on some of my cards down at least 75%, most recently West Elm, from 4K to $1400 and Wayfair in half. Today I get a letter stating that my Overstock card had been closed due to account inactivity (just purchased a few things two weeks ago) and credit report info. My score isn’t awful (but was better prior to this company and their reductions and closings) and I’ve never missed a payment on anything! There’s another $2500 off my available credit. If memory serves I think they had the Virgin America cards that were all closed at the first of the year, it started with that and has been downhill ever since. Never again will I have any account with them!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

So, where do I begin!!! I have 3 credit cards through Comenity Bank. The Room Place, Victoria Secret and Gamestop. All 3 cards no missed payments and all were in good standing. My problem was with The Room Place credit card. I had 9,800$ in credit. I purchased a living room set and a mattress and box spring. I am very happy with my furniture and it's a shame that I have to write a review like this because of Comenity bank's carelessness and unwillingness to deal with their customers properly. Especially, their great customers!!!

So, I made payments for almost a year and then I got my income tax and decided to pay most my balance down. So I get a letter in the mail after making my payment stating because I was a good customer and was paying my balance faster than the term agreement that I only had to pay 10$ a month for the remaining balance which was like 400$ so I do what the letter says and 2 months later I notice on my credit report that I have a later payment. Upon investigating I find that not only was thus affecting my credit but I was being hit with late fees. So I call to get the situation rectified and Comenity bank had the nerve to tell me that they did not send me such a letter with discounted payments. After arguing and being put on hold for almost 2 hours I was finally told to send a copy by mail so they can investigate the problem.

Well, they never called me back and I had to go through the whole process again. Another 2-3 hours going through reps that had no clue what they were talking about. I asked for a supervisor numerous times and they gave me the run around as well! So, now I got my attorney involved because this was ridiculous and I had the paper to prove. So, now my lawyer couldn't even get any responses right away. Then they told him the same thing. Send the letter detailing the discounted future payments.

In the meanwhile, my wife was shopping one day with the Victoria Secret card and spent 2hrs shopping and 20 minutes waiting in line to pay only to be declined at checkout. She called me upset and told me our card was declined! 9,500.00$ in credit and she was declined. So I had no idea why and tried calling and again, couldn't get anyone live and did not want to spend an eternity on the phone again. So time goes by and one day I decided to go to GameStop. I shopped, had everything I need and went to check out and low and behold, again!!! Declined!!! So I'm freaking out telling the store clerk this cannot be. I have more than enough credit!!! He calls and gets a hold of someone at Comenity after I don't know 30 minutes or so and they asked to speak with me.

He hands me the phone and they asked me who is my attorney's name I will leave out. And I'm like yes, that's my attorney. They said well you have to talk to your attorney. So this is when I finally put it altogether that Victoria Secret and Gamestop was also Comenity bank. So, I called my lawyer asked if he could find out what the heck was going on. It takes another 30 plus days and he told me since it's all through Comenity they put a hold on all my cards!! I was ecstatic!!! Wth does a totally different card have to do with the others!!!

So, long story short... never heard back from Comenity bank... My credit score dropped 100 points and Comenity bank wrote it off as bad debt!!! How the hell did they write it off as bad debt and I never even spoke to anybody!!! I am still trying to get this resolved. I made a complaint through TransUnion and waiting for response!!! This Credit Card company is a fraud!!! Stay far and clear from them!!!! I got punished for being a great customer and trying to pay my debt off early!!! What a joke???

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I missed my first payment by 1 day and called to have the $27 late fee removed/waived and to my surprise I was advised that they are unable to remove the fee due to the agreement/contract between Ashley Stewart and Comenity Bank. I can't wait until ALL my cards through this bank is paid off. Their billing practices suck!! I will never get another card with this bank.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I recently applied for a Wayfair credit card through Comenity. A few days after I submit my application I get a notification from Equifax about a hard inquiry into my credit report by Comenty-Wayfair. Nothing wrong here since I knew that applying for a credit card would mean having a hard inquiry done. I have a really good credit score (over 800), no derogatory marks ever on my credit report, and have never missed or had a late payment on any of my loans so I knew I would be approved.

After 10 days, I finally get a letter in the main from Comenity-Wayfair telling me they were unable to approve my application because they couldn't verify my social security number with that in my credit report and that I needed to call Equifax to find out the problem. I call Equifax and verify that my information is correct and there is no record of any discrepancies in my file. I thought maybe I had accidentally made a typo or something in my application so I called Comenity-Wayfair to figure out what went wrong. They told me that they were unable to run a credit check because they only had the last 4 digits of my social.

THIS IS A BLATANT LIE. I have proof that they ran a HARD inquiry into my credit report which they wouldn't have been able to do if they didn't have my full social security number. I also reviewed the application page again and it does ask for the full social so it doesn't make sense that I could have submitted the application without providing the full number. They just repeatedly kept saying that they did not run a credit check (again, huge lie) and that I could choose to reapply in 30 days (which by the way would require them to do ANOTHER hard inquiry). Now I have to go through the process of disputing this inquiry on my credit report because Comenity-Wayfair is a huge scam. I will NEVER submit an application with anything dealing with Comenity ever again.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I received notification from a credit bureau company that my Comenity/Kay Jewelers account had been closed. This closure was not by any action I had taken. Upon calling the Customer Support (less) for Kay Jewelers, I was informed that due to the Patriot Act, they needed my physical home address on the account. They sent requests for this information that went unanswered. I have a PO Box for security reasons. There was no request, that I received and do not believe that the Post Office would withhold any mail. As indicated, I spoke with Customer Support (less) and requested to speak with a supervisor. Since the account was closed "permanently", there was nothing they could do.

They continued to inform me that it was Comenity Bank that closed the account and they would be the party to speak to if I wanted to see if there was any resolution. Today, I called Comenity directly, in turn passed off to the Kay Jewelers Division. I spoke with five different people attempting to resolve this closure. One supervisor advised that they attempted to call me three times this month alone. There was no such call. As I am speaking with the last "Supervisor", I explained how their own process has failed them since there was no communication with me regarding required information on my Kay Jewelers account. I do have another account with Comenity, which does have all the information they need.

One would think that their systems could do cross-checks between accounts to verify information. The Supervisor, in a way, agreed with that statement. However, since the account has been "Permanently Closed" there was still nothing that could be done. They would be more than happy to open a new account for me however... since I have had my account in excellent standing since it had been opened. The issue, that I exclaimed, was the impact that this would have on my Credit Report. 1) A credit Inquiry hit which has a low impact on your score; and 2) the age of credit history would be reduced which carries a Moderate impact on your credit history. While this may seem trivial to some, when you have worked hard to maintain an excellent credit score, why should a customer pay for the failed processes of a credit company?

Based on the other reviews, which I have seen here on this website, it is apparent that I am not alone. In a manner of speaking, I feel that there is a level of fraud being committed by Comenity Bank. I plan to follow up with the Comenity Bank Customer Dispute Department regarding my case. I shall also follow-up with the Credit Reporting Agencies along with letters to both the Attorney General's offices in both states, Ohio where Comenity Bank is located and my home state.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I have been with Comenity Bank for three years and have three cards with them. I have a Meijer Card, Victoria Secret and The Buckle card. Over the three years, I have had my credit limit raised on each account and have a high credit limit. I have always been on time with my payments. Recently, Comenity Bank LOWERED my credit limit from $1500.00 to $300.00 after a payment of $1400.00 was made on my account. My Meijer and Buckle credit limits remain at $1450 and $1300. This is completely unfair as I feel they just took my money and I do not get any of that as my available credit. Instead they lower me down to a limit a brand new customer would receive upon opening an account.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I had a promotional balance on my Overstock account, in addition I also had a revolving balance due. I paid my monthly minimum, plus the total amount of the new revolving balance plus 120.00+ on top of that. I had two payments/months left on the promotional balance, yet they credited the entire payment to the promotional balances, left the revolving balance and charged a finance charge. I was told that because of the length of time I was on the phone with customer service they would credit the finance charge, not that it was being credited because they misapplied the payments...

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I had store promotion deal for 18 months of no interest charged. The bank provider was Comenity bank. The bank statement is misleading and not showing the payment amount to make up the balance at the end of 18 months. The only 3d page of the statement shows the accrued interest because usually people don't even check it. I strongly suggest to stay away from this bank as it charges 29% interest rate, highest in bank industry. SHOWS NO EFFORT OF PROTECTING THE CLIENT TO AVOID HIGH INTEREST CHARGES. One way or another it will get to this situation. The purpose is to rip you off with the highest rate. I am looking for people caught in the same situation to start legal proceeds against this bank. Not enough that we paid big buck for furniture, we are rip off on the interest rate! In 2014 this bank lost lawsuit for misleading fees situations and paid people back. If anybody are interested to join me please, reply.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Comenity close my account for no reason in Sept 2018. I have been a customer for 17 years and always paid more than the min. balance before the due date. This is ruining my excellent credit. When I called they could not explain why and said they couldn't do anything about it. Something about being computer generated.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

My account closed 9-7-18 for no reason yet, and when I called no answers. I checked my FICO and it’s 800+ Excellent on everything and zero late payments ever. I will never apply for Comentity Bank card or store card again because when an account closes like this it puts a ding on good/excellent credit. Also, stores have a history of changing the banks on their store cards and closings accounts only to send new credit card with a different bank which again dings credit. No amount of savings at the register is worth that. Comentity was a pain to deal with all along.

Comenity Company Information