3.1/5 (430 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About Comenity

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Comenity Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

I have to start from the beginning. I make a payment from my Citibank checking account early in December 2021. First it does show processing, but later a week it was denied. Reason my bank account routing and check account do not match. I double check too many times. I am 200%, that I enter routing and checking account are correct. I have been make payment to Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Amazon, Capital One. They never have problem return like Overstock bank did.

Now overstock charge me for late fee. I called and spoke to supervisor at Overstock CS about 20 minutes on early Dec. She promise me to waive late fee. She ask me to buy a money order $75.41, and mail it to Overstock payment center. I did send out on Dec around Dec 10 2021. However it take Overstock process my money order on Jan 02 2022, it take so long process deduct my account. Since it was a delay from Overstock end, now they charge me for extra late fee and return fee. I called dispute a charge. CS name Francisco told me that, it take up to 2 month for dispute result. I must paid balance $31.42 (late fee). If I will continue to get charge for late fee. I will continue file a complaint until my Overstock card remove overcharge $31.42, then balance to be $0.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

Never, never use Comenity Capital Bank!!! You will be stricken hard by an outrageous finance charge at the last minute. I bought my wife a one-carat diamond ring to commemorate our 30th wedding anniversary in November 2020, using Blue Nile Credit Card issued by Comenity Capital Bank. It took me 30 years to buy her a diamond ring, and it needed another 12 months to pay it off. However, due to personal circumstances, I could not pay the balance in full in November 2021, the last month of the twelve-month promotion. The balance in November 2021 was $409.

Shockingly, I found that Comenity Capital Bank imposed the finance charge of $489.96 in the December statement, which included all interests accrued in the past 12 months. When I complained to Comenity Capital Bank customer services about this outrageous finance charge, one of the representatives told me that all the details on every interest accrued in the past 12 months were on the back of the monthly statement. "Summary of Account Activity" on the first page of the monthly statement had shown nothing about interest accrued for the past 11 months until November 2021. "Account Summary" of the Blue Nile Credit Card website stated nothing about interest accrued for the past 11 months until November 2021. Ridiculously and nonsensically, they were on the third page of the four-page statement. Why? I think Comenity Capital Bank had hidden them intentionally.

Until I checked "Account Summary" of the Blue Nile Credit Card website in December, I really had no idea that interest had continued to accrue over the past 12 months! Above all, I have been receiving paperless online PDF statements. No one checks the monthly statement line by line, page by page, each month. Why does "Summary of Account Activity" on the first page of the monthly statement show nothing about details on interest accrued for the past 11 months until November 2021? Why "Account Summary" of the Blue Nile Credit Card website states nothing about interest accrued for the past 11 months until November 2021? Why did Comenity Capital Bank put details on interest accrued for the past 11 months on the third page of the four-page statement?

Comenity Capital Bank seems to have been waiting for me to make any mistake in the last month. I doubt if all of the above is Comenity Capital Bank's fair business practice to their customers. Charging interest for the past 12 months at once is unfair. I think I only have to pay interest on $409 that was my account balance in November 2021. If not, it means that customers who couldn't pay the remaining balance in full before the promotion ends have to pay an outrageous finance charge accrued for the past 12 months, whatever the remaining account balance is, even if the remaining balance is $10 or $20. It makes no sense at all. Never, never use Comenity Capital Bank!!! You will be stricken hard by an outrageous finance charge at the last minute.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

If I could give Comenity bank 1 star I would. They are charging me $140 in late fees (sending the payment on time). I have spoken to several representatives and supervisors and get a different story each time. 1- "We are understaffed and don't have enough personnel to process the payments." 2- "We recently switched banks and your bank account has changed." 3- "The facility you are sending the payments to was destroyed by a storm and we have a new processing center." 4- This one was the best-(supervisor Erica) "I don't know who you have spoken to and there are notes on your account of what you have told me but none of that is true. We have not changed banks and you need to pay the late payment fees, I am truly sorry for your inconvenience." Lol.

Apparently after reading many other reviews this is what comenity bank does. They charge you ridiculous fees and they don't like it when you pay in full. Oh almost forgot to mention that I paid the last payment in full in November and then to my surprise saw it had been cancelled by them. They are saying I cancelled it and then said, "Well your bank must have cancelled it." I will never again do business with Comenity bank also known as Capital bank, Alliance data. Chairman Ron Ostler should be ashamed of the company practices he represents.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

I’ve had two cards with this company. One for 8-9 years and another for one year and they decided to close my one year old card without any details. They claimed that they processed a hard inquiry again and found that I was a risky borrower. Not sure how that’s possible when my credit score is 680 and I have no collections from this company or any other. They said a letter would be sent in the mail and I did not receive anything from them. Considering that they pulled my credit report, approved me for a card and then I lost the card and this is how I found out about this. To then now close that account without any explanation. Meanwhile, I have a hard inquiry I can’t get rid of until it falls off after two years. Don’t bank with them.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

Will never use Comenity Bank again. I have (had) a Mastercard with them and with few exceptions, I pay my balance every month. My purchases started being declined and I called to about it. They closed my card. I have not had a late payment in YEARS and am not buying their excuse that a credit reporting company reported something negative on my account.

In October I did make an error when inputting my routing number for a payment. I was not late, was paying off my balance early. When I learned of the error I immediately made another payment for the full balance, still not late. So they close my account? Ridiculous! Take your business elsewhere! They are the only company that punished me for an honest mistake that didn’t even result in a late payment.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

They appear to use every tactic possible to slow the repayment of Certificates of Deposit. They continually lie about when the money will be refunded. Even with good rates they should be avoided. Support is friendly but frankly not helpful.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

Awful customer experience. I was told that I owed some amount and I authorized the customer rep to go ahead and make a payment. She said I was all set and a month later they charge $1 on my account and since I did not make any purchases, I did not log in to see my account balance. After 3 months, they send me a paper bill saying I owe $39. So, I call them and I explain them what happened and they ASSURED me that they would take the $39 charge off my account and I don’t owe them anything. I opened my account today to make sure and I see $7 charge on my account.

If I had not seen that $7 charge they would have sent me another bill for $300 after 3 months. Even though I tried telling them this happened and it was their fault, they did not agree and asked me to pay. So, I authorized the rep to go ahead and make the payment for $7 and close the account. She made the payment $7.56 and when I asked her she said it is the interest on that $7. Like SERIOUSLY? I MADE HER MAKE A STATEMENT THAT I DON'T OWE THEM ANYTHING ELSE. I'm hoping that is the case. I’m glad I don’t have to deal with such awful customer service and fraudulent charges anymore.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

I have had a Carter's card for three years. Never late, didn’t use it excessively, paid my balance in full. This company randomly pulls credit reports and cancels your card based on information in your report. Whether that information is accurate or not. So now they tanked my credit even more by canceling a positive account. It is sad that they don’t do business based on good client relationships and how responsible you’ve been with your account, but rather what random, inaccurate information is on your credit report. Be careful with any store cards dealing with this bank. If they use Comenity, don’t do it!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

I had the Children's Place Card issued by Comenity Bank for about 5 years now. NEVER missed a payment. Now that my kids are getting bigger I use the card less, I have had this card paid off for 2 months and stopped using it at a ZERO BALANCE. At a zero balance you expect not to check the website every month because you know you do not owe anything. What a slap to my face. I got an alert thru Capital One saying I have a new report on my credit history a negative rating. I logged in and saw the Children's Place reported my late 1 month. Why?

I will tell you why. I have a ZERO balance and they ILLEGALLY charged me interest on a ZERO balance. In fact they are still doing it. BEWARE if you have a zero balance. Check your account every 3 weeks. You will see a interest charge on a zero balance. This is ILLEGAL, I plan to file suit once I finish gathering all documents. This company is a bunch of scammers and fraudsters. SHAME ON YOU. Especially during covid when you are supposed to have a temp hold on reporting to agencies anyway. Either way company is 100% wrong.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2021

Worst bank I have ever had credit with. I made full payments all the way through the pandemic. I missed two payment due to the pandemic. I wrote them a goodwill letter and requested they remove it from my credit. All the manager said was they were unwilling to work with me. They also lowered my credit limit to only $100 even though I paid off full balance once I finally had funds to do so. Not to mention their late fee is $40 which is the same as monthly payment due. Thank you for understanding your loyal customer NOT! Regardless I closed my account. See you never!

Take a Mortgage Quiz