3.5/5 (411 ratings)

About Comenity

Comenity Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

Original review: Dec. 4, 2022

Was fine when the card was with BoA. Since the switch, just horrible... Customer Support is clueless, can't get my reward money deposited to my checking account but they automatically take my payment from my checking account. They have no answers... terrible company.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2022

Oh, my. Save yourself and stay away from ANY product from this swindler. My AAA credit card with Bank of America got moved to Comenity. I tried to access the account electronically, and was denied. I called their help desk, waited interminably, and was told it was fixed. Nope, still denied access. Called back, waited, was assured it would be fixed soon. Nope--weeks later, still unable to log in. Then they tacked on interest & a late fee, because I refused to pay without first seeing the statement. They eventually sent me a statement and a letter claiming that they would waive the fees. I paid all legit charges, but not the fees.

Several days after they received payment, the fees are still on the account. Called tonight, waited, was told there's nothing they could do. I asked for a supervisor...waited...eventually was told the fees are waived and the balance is zero. Then I checked their "easy pay" site (the only online access they are granting me), and see that the fees are still there. This may have to play out in court...

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

DO NOT GET ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS as they will not follow federal law! I reached out to this company when I noted that an airline defrauded $980. I sought their help, sent evidence, reports, continue to write to them for update WEEKLY and more than once at times. Comenity LIED to me that they were investigating, they MISLED me by sending a generic message disregarding what I have written and presented, they HID EVIDENCE that the funds were returned after federal agencies demanded the airline returned the funds.

I found the refund on my own and that the company was trying to PROFIT from the fraud! They did not do ANY investigation as claimed in writing, they took the funds and blocked my account demanding another $300! Not once did they tell me they would hold my account and keep the defrauded funds without concluding an investigation NOR NOTIFYING ME! They are violating Truth in Lending Act and Fair Billing Act. THIS IS A CRIMINAL ENTERPRISE and it goes by other names too like BREAD FINANCIAL! BEWARE!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

1) On Comenity BJs Wholesale - I have no issues with BJs in past years ONLY UNTIL this summer 2022 when Comenity supposedly had system upgrade and since summer 2022, my BJs rewards have stopped accumulating in BJs app. I've contacted Comenity regarding BJs rewards, sent email via Comenity website, contacted BJs to be re outed back to Comenity Rewards and still nothing!!! Same old response from Customer Service - system issue, etc. Anyways, I am closing my Comenity and BJs account altogether.

2) On Comenity Kay Jewelers - I also do not have issues with Kay Jewelers. But unfortunately, their credit card is through Comenity. Sept 2022, when I went to Kay store to pick up ring, my credit card was suspended. I made payment at Kay to reactivate account. Oct 2022, I set up my bill pay through my bank Chase. Chase said they could not sent electronic payment so they sent check. Then I get past due notice from Comenity. Chase confirmed check has not been cashed. I called Comenity and told them I will stop pay check and I will set up ACH directly through Comenity Kay Jewelers website. 10/24 ACH went through. Then 10/31 ACH somehow did not. Next thing you know, I get a letter from Comenity stating about $30 return payment on an ACH 10/31?

I confirmed with my bank Chase that on 10/31, Comenity did deduct $290 on 10/31, but they also returned it?!? I called Comenity yesterday Nov 15 2022, I spoke to at least 8 Customer service reps, billing supervisor, collections, return payment department and NO ONE can explain why their system withdrew $290 on 10/31 and then return money to my account on 11/2, then next thing you know I'm being charged $30 late fee!!!! Oh yeah, those 8 folks at Comenity Billing? My the love of country, you all could learn how to speak nicely and professionally. Do not put me on hold, or hang up on me, or transfer me to a dead end, or push buttons while I'm talking, or giggle while I'm explaining or the worst part? Tell me this is all my fault?!? Wow…

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

Apperently, Comenity took over AAA Visa accounts from Bank of America in October of 2022. I have had my AAA Visa card since 2000. Since Comenity took over, I have had 2 months of hassles, issues, and now have a frozen account. I received NO heads up or information about the takeover, paid my Sept payment to BofA like usual. Tried to log in to make my October payment, and the account is no longer accessible on BofA. Tried again a couple of time the next couple of weeks, since I had no idea what was happening and figured it was a site glitch and I'd just have to suck up a late charge. My old due date with them was the 3rd of the month. Then, I got a random message from Comenity Bank stating my account was overdue and I owe a min payment of almost $800. (I have another small store card with Comenity with zero balance, so this threw me a bit.)

Called Visa customer service number on the back of the card to make a payment, now very late, and was told about the changeover. Customer service agent was nasty on the phone. (I asked to make a payment over the phone and heard her smack her teeth and sigh.) At this point, I HAVE to make a payment over the phone, as I have NO way of accessing my Visa account. I have not received a new card, have no account number, etc... I also requested a new card and info on how to access account be sent so I won't be late next month. Payment made for October, finally, on the 27th.

Never got my new card in the mail until November 4th, when I was out of town for the weekend. Only a card arrived- no other information, no account terms, nothing. Apparently, Comenity has made my new due date the 1st. Set up online account with new card, accessed and paid November balance on the 7th when I returned, called customer service to explain situation and request late fees and penalties be removed for November, as their oversight caused the problem. Late fees removed, Nov payment made.

Went to use my card in a store a few days later for $100 and it was declined for "insufficient funds", with a 17k credit limit remaining open on the card. Called and spoke with 2 different reps (no supervision was available in call center, call transferred to "US call center" from there). Rep informed me that my payment being late- even though it was not on me- freezes the account for the remainder of that billing cycle. I asked why and when this policy started, and was told rudely that "that's how Comenity bank has always done it". I made sure my account, now useless, was at least paid through the next billing due date and was assured I was up to date until Dec 1st. Reps made it plain that the company is accepting NO responsibility for late payments here, and make me out to be "delinquent".

A couple of days later, got a call from Comenity Bank billing dept that my account was overdue and I owed almost $800....AGAIN. I hung up on them. Logged into my account today and there are giant red flags all over the screen saying "Account overdue!" and "Past due!" but my next billing statement is for Dec1st and Nov payments have posted. This has been nothing but a headache for 2 months. If the card didn't carry a balance and my credit wouldn't take a hit from cancelling a 22 year credit history, I'd cancel this card today. Comenity is horrendous to do business with.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

They have the worst customer service. The supervisor hung up on me because they have not sent my credit card and I have called literally 10 times and they keep saying that they did and maybe I need to call my postmaster. So I explained to her that I received my bills so why wouldn't I receive the card so I asked for her escalation Department and she hung up on me and so many companies use this company for their credit cards and they are horrible.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2022

AAA transferred its credit card services from BofA to Comenity in the Fall of this year (2022). On the transfer date all account information was cut off from the accounts by BofA but Comenity was unable to successfully activate cards they sent in the mail. Two months later I am still without one of my cards and their website is down so I have no way to see what I owe or to make payments. When the site was up, I couldn't cash in my rewards credit, the website failed. The only way to get information is to spend hours on the phone waiting for their miserable phone support to respond. They admit to 'problems' with the transfer and their website. What a disastrous move for AAA. Their credit card service via BofA was excellent. I assume they switched to Comenity for cost reasons. Their reputation has suffered as a result.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2022

Customer service is HORRIBLE. Always a problem with my statement and redeeming rewards. Have to call customer care and after about a 1/2 hour wait to talk to some person who barely understands my concerns, problem still doesn't get solved. I will pay off my balance, let them keep their rewards and NEVER EVER use them again. Their system was down from June till July and their explanation is that they are still working out the kinks!! Even before that, the customer service was still horrible. Too many other cards out there to use this one and have less aggravation.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

For AAA Members who have been switched from Bank of America to Comenity Bank. If you are having problems signing in, accessing your account, or creating an account YOU MUST GO TO AAA.COM/ADVANTAGE. DO NOT TRY SIGNING IN AT COMENITY DIRECTLY. This is not very intuitive.... but look at your statement. It says "Account Questions? Need to make a payment? Want to know how to go paperless? Visit AAA.COM/ADVANTAGE." You can then create an account and pay your bill online...

Original review: Nov. 7, 2022

AAA just switched all their AAA Visa Rewards holders to Comenity Bank. Very difficult time registering. Cannot pay bill online. Comenity is having technical difficulties with their online payments and account lookups. this has been going on for 2 weeks. You can only pay through the phone to representatives based in India at a charge of $9.95. This is criminal. AAA is also to blame.

Comenity Company Information