1.18/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 24, 2018

270 Comenity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 24, 2018

I paid the FULL balance displayed on my online bill. Two days after I paid the POSTED FULL BALANCE Comenity Bank adds charges and since I paid my bill IN FULL I didn’t know to check my account for changes this “bank” added to my account. Comenity Bank rep called since my payment was late (it was only the bank charges due) but the rep refused to let me speak to a supervisor to seek resolve so I closed my account. My bill is now $131.00 ACCRUING FINES ONLY AND THIS IS AFTER I PAID MY POSTED BALANCE IN FULL!!

I cancelled the card since they refused to work with me. DO NOT GET ANY CARDS WITH THIS BANK and if you choose to proceed, make sure you check your bill within a week of paying the full balance to ensure they have not added any fees as Comenity Bank rep said I should have checked my account a couple days after I PAID THE POSTED BALANCE IN FULL to ensure they haven’t added any fees. WHAT KIND OF CUSTOMER SERVICE IS THAT!! I am gladly going viral with this one. P.S. I gave them 1 star only bc you have to rate at least 1 star to post but they clearly don’t deserve the 1 star.

Original review: April 23, 2018

So I open a Hot Topic credit card account for my daughter. Initially they give me a $250 credit limit. I charge around $130 on her due to school clothes and small things like the pop figurines. I very quickly figure out just how ridiculous it is to make a payment on my card. It’s literally impossible because they don’t make it easy. You basically have to mail a check. Or try to use the app which never worked for me either. So because it’s so impossible to make a payment you have to call in. And that takes forever. So difficulty to make a payment is one major reason to stay away from this creditor. And here’s even more. After opening the account with a $250 limit they took it upon themselves to increase the limit. So since it actually helped my score a little bit I thought well ok. But then yesterday I received a letter in the mail that because my credit score had dropped a few points they were reducing the card limit to a $100 limit.

Excuse me. You increase then decrease which btw dropped my credit score another 20 points because they decided to decrease the limit. But what’s more disgusting is that the only reason my credit score dropped was because of several car dealers running it while I was trying to buy a car. Take some advice. Stay away from this creditor. Their customer service is a joke. Their ability to affect your credit by doing things without your permission is also a joke. So although I only owe them a whopping $34 I have decided to permanently close this account and will never do business with this bank ever again. Yes I know it’ll affect my score short-term but if I could show you the damage they have caused it will be better long-term to never deal with a company like this again. Oh and btw only late by a few days and the late fee was $17 more than the minimum payment I was required to make.

I have worked too hard and for too long for a company like Comenity Bank to feel like they have a right to do a customer like this. So I will also never spend another dime in Hot Topic although it’s my daughter's favorite store or will my wife spend another dime in the clothing store she shops at that is owned or affiliated with Hot Topic. So deal with that.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I carry Debt Cancellation Coverage on my credit accounts to cover my balance in case of a medical emergency. I experienced a medical emergency and attempted to file a Debt Cancellation claim only to find out that Comenity Bank had cancelled my coverage with the third party vendor without notifying me. Therefore, I had no coverage when the medical event took place. Conversations with Comenity Bank customer service representatives resulted in their agents yelling at me that Comenity could not cancel the coverage and later that they had every right to cancel the coverage. Needless to say, Comenity Bank has put me in a horrible position that will have long-term negative repercussions on my credit.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I got this card from Victoria's Secret, I schedule a payment for April 17. That payment NEVER credited to my account, even I got an email confirmed about it. My sister used it, she have no problem with it. When I use it, I can’t even pay online by a debit card! This is one of the worst credit card company I had ever use.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I've never seen such a terrible website. I'd heard from others what a PIA it is; I should have listened. AllModern and Wayfair should be embarrassed to use this company. Getting onto the Comenity website is unusually difficult, and I've already made one payment that doesn't show as being made (although Comenity did somehow manage to keep my bank account info, which has to be entered before you can make a payment). LOUSY website. I'll be paying off this account ASAP to get away from Comenity, and it certainly changes my mind about shopping easily with AllModern or Wayfair.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

Original review: April 14, 2018

Spoke with a live person who said my balance was $386 so I paid in full over the phone and cancelled the card. Told them it was because they were bloodsuckers. Now I get a bill with a late fee and interest $45.88. These people need to be prosecuted. MY SUGGESTION... DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH ANY RETAILER THAT DEALS WITH COMENITY BANK! Contact the attorney general's office and consumer affairs!!!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I started out with straightening my credit out with a secured Discover card. Applied for VS, got approved for $350, they increased it to $450 within 3 months. I now have a HSN with $400, Fingerhut with $600 along with a Mastercard of $1000. These have really helped me get back on track. All you have to do is pay on time. I pay way before my due date because some banks dont release funds quick enough to show a payment. But overall, nothing bad at all.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Absolute worst business ever. Very fee driven and highly unethical practices. Customer service is rude and incompetent. WHEN (not if) you have a problem, your problem will be handled by an incompetent rude employee that obviously hates their job. Take your business elsewhere, trust me and AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Original review: March 20, 2018

STAY AWAY Comenity Bank, because it is the WORST financial institution ever! Stores "promise" that you will have 6 or 12 months "same as cash" if you get their store card, when nothing could be further from the truth! Either the stores haven't researched Comenity Bank enough... or they don't care! Some of the stores that are backed by them are: JTV, Big Lots, David's Bridal, Pier 1, Victoria's Secret, Ann Taylor, Meijer, Abercrombie & Fitch, Crate & Barrel, DSW, Eddie Bauer, Game Stop, Gardner-White Furniture, HSN, Lane Bryant, Marathon, NY & C, Pottery Barn, Value City, Wayfair, Zales, and many more!!! BEWARE!!! Comenity charges fees on top of fees, and no matter HOW much you pay, they will make it EXTREMELY difficult to get the account paid off!

I had this experience with Comenity, through a David's Bridal store, and even though I paid exactly what the bill showed, EVERY month, sometimes even MORE, I was not paid off in 12 months. On top of THAT, they had the nerve to change me to a "revolving" account, from a "promotional" account, without my knowledge, (And charged me an additional $402 for the privilege!). They said that it was because I hadn't paid off the card in the 12 month period. I had tried MANY times to speak with someone about the fact that they were charging me INTEREST, (DURING the 12 months that they weren't supposed to be) and that my balance was not going down, no matter HOW much I paid, and they were not interested. The woman I spoke with, kept saying that she couldn't do anything about it, and when I asked for a supervisor, the supervisor said the same thing.

I continued to make additional payments because I didn't want it to go on my credit, and even after ANOTHER year of paying, the balance was STILL almost as much as the original credit limit! It was like a student loan... I couldn't seem to pay it off! I finally called and asked for a FULL "payoff" date, and since I knew how they were by then, I added a week's worth of extra money in interest, onto the payment, because I knew that the payment would take a few days to reach them, and I didn't want them to say that it wasn't paid off due to the additional charges for the travel time of the mail. They told me that the payoff amount was $833, so I sent $840 just in case. I FINALLY had them paid off, and I have NEVER used that card again.

I would advise anyone who doesn't have a regular credit card, or debit card to use for their purchases, NOT to get ANY store card that is backed by Comenity, because they are POISON! They have also been known to charge people who have a "0" balance, and because you think that you are paid off--you don't bother to check it--and you get screwed! There are also many people who thought that their account was CLOSED, when it never was, and they were still being charged every month as if they still had an open account. I was lucky in the end, because I ended up being able to get rid of them, and their outrageous charges, but others weren't as lucky. Don't get ANY store card, that uses them to back the card--ever!!!

Original review: March 17, 2018

Payments after 8pm are late? Ummm according to what time zone? I have no other credit card or bill that requires me to pay it by 8 p.m., this is unheard of! Don't be fooled. They do this only to charge you a late fee. What CC do you know of that doesn't allow you to set up automated monthly payments? Well the answer is only a piece of crap company who preys on people and DOESN’T WANT THEM TO PAY ON TIME so they can charge another late fee...this is their biggest income source!! I just can't wrap my head around why these companies (Ulta, Vic Secret, HSN, etc) choose the worst CC co. out there? Why would they want any affiliation with scum-of-the-earth?? Really it says a lot about them and how they truly feel about their customers...guess they just don't care. Real customer service doesn't exist with these companies. It comes down to Dollars and that's all that matters to them.

They are complete idiots because it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know once you have a dissatisfied angry customer not only will they go out of their way not to shop at your store they will also not use anything affiliated with you and make sure everyone they know. Here's their story because when they feel wrong they are going to let it be known!! If only I could add up the money I have given to all these companies especially having a teenage girl who loves Pink! Never had a single problem with any of the cards and had a perfect pay history for years until I was in an accident. Late last year my spine was nearly severed and it took months to be able to do small task such as brushing my teeth, going to the restroom, call me my hair, etc.

Needless to say Comenity credit cards along with 10 to 15 other ones were the last thing on my mind and even if they were on my mind there's no way I could have picked up a phone or used the mouse to make a payment! After what seemed like an eternity but really 3 to 5 months I was making payments again on all my cards and also started writing letters explaining the situation, requesting adjs for late and trying to clean up the mess. (Keep in mind I didn't go all that time not making payments, I was able to make them when I had someone helping me but depending on when they came to assist with that my stuff could be late.) Anyhow, the responses I received were alarming...

I was disgusted at their lack of compassion, complete disregard that I was a human being and telling them what I had been dealing with, that I want to get my acct cleared up, this is what happened and can they help me clear it up so I can close this chapter and get things back to normal in my life?? Well I think they ALL have one manual they respond from because in a nutshell they all pretty much said "we apologize for your inconvenience but we are only able to credit you one late fee, unfortunately we cannot do anything other than that.” after that all I hear is blah blah blah blah!!! I made phone calls and try talking to people but it was no different, they act as if they are making a decision on whether or not to power the switch for a nuclear bomb or that they are doing rocket science. I'm asking them to credit something that wasn't really theirs to begin with!

Out of all my credit cards, between 10 to 15 of them, I did not have a single problem squaring all of these things away except with the Comenity accounts. And then just to show what amazing people they really are, they lowered the HSN account that I did not owe a dollar on from $2,500 to a $100 credit line. In fact I guess I paid off the account in full but I did it after 8 p.m. so I was assessed a late fee. Well I refuse to pay another late fee because they have a ridiculous made-up cutoff time so now that one late fee has turned into three late fees and they are still so stubborn they refuse to do anything about it. All alone I absolutely will not give them another free $100 for doing nothing but causing chaos in my life!! These people who work there are animals not humans! And shame on Ulta, HSN and Victoria's Secrets for still using this company!

Maybe they operate like that those criminal construction companies who comes in as the lowest bidders and no one else can compete come to find out they're scamming and cheating the whole way through the project and they make their money up in change orders and screwing people over just like Comenity does!! They make their money up screwing over good people like me! They are the best at that!

Original review: March 17, 2018

Purchased 2 items from Overstock for a total of $45.82 on May 16, 2017. I sent the requested payment of $38.00 on 08/25/2017 instructing payment to be made on 09/02/2017. Hurricane Harvey hit within 48 hours later. Payment did not go through, so I called and explained that I had been displaced by the hurricane which hit my city and home in Houston and would send the requested $70.82. Payment was sent and received by Comenity on 09/11/2017. Several months later I reviewed my Credit and saw that Comenity had reported the payment as being late. Other creditors such as Walmart, First Progress, Care Credit, and Fingerhut were very understanding and actually waived fees for a month after the disaster. Comenity Capital Bank may have had the legal right to report the payment as being late, but their antipathy and cold indifference to the plight of those devastated by a natural disaster is unconscionable.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I have a card with Comenity Bank for Victoria's Secret. My account balance is $0 (I have checked several times to verify this recently) but I am getting calls at all hours of the day, every day of the week (twice Sunday morning!!!) about an "urgent matter that has been escalated". I get these vague names (Mr. **, Ms. **) and long extensions to call back about this "urgent matter". I have written down their information from these messages. Also, they don't even have the correct first name for me! It's harassment plain and simple. I am cancelling my credit card because of this and I am lodging complaints with every agency I can. They are a terrible company. Not sure if this is a scam or what, but receiving long rude voicemails is not pleasant. This company and these people should be ashamed of themselves!

Original review: March 13, 2018

I have had a Boscov's card for about 2 years now or so. Recently I have been having problems with making payments as I have not been working. I have been making what I can afford and in communication with Comenity Bank to advise. Recently I checked my account and they just lowered my credit limit without even telling me which I never heard of. Kohl's don't do that and works with you regardless. I made my payments and have $68.00 available credit. My card was declined in the store Saturday and did not know why.

Now, I was told there was a Cease and Desist on my account which I never sent to them in writing. I only informed them to stop calling the wrong phone #. This company has communication issues and never informed me of this! There are a lot of complaints online about this company. They are not even a bank and to the best of my knowledge not accredited by the BBB. I am a veteran of 25 years and probably will be paying off this credit card and never want to deal with this company again! They will call you repeatedly, even was calling my brother's phone# and not leaving messages. I don't need this credit card!

Original review: March 12, 2018

First off I have been a loyal Comenity Bank credit card holder for 3 years. I hold several department store cards with them and all of a sudden after I pay them down or completely off they wanna lower my limits on 2 cards which I never ever heard of. How do you lower someone’s limit because of their credit score? If I'm in good standing with you why would you care what my score is? Well I closed my GameStop card and will be closing my Victoria’s Secret, Express, and Boston store cards next. This is ridiculous. I never had a problem with this bank until now.

They are just like Synchrony bank wanting to run credit checks to see if your account is eligible for a limit increase without you knowing. So I will be doing Comenity Bank a favor just like I did Synchrony Bank when I closed that damn Amazon store card. I will never ever open any department store cards again if they issued by Comenity Bank or Synchrony Bank. I’m so glad Capital One doesn’t pull this crap and will be looking into getting a Kohl’s charge since it's thru Capital One!

Original review: March 9, 2018

I sent payment on 2 separate credit card bills - Ann Taylor MC & Loft store card. These payments were sent 12 days ago and still haven't been credited to my accounts. When I called Comenity I also discovered that someone made a typo on my SS number. I was transferred numerous times and no one will fix my SS number. I made a second payment on my accounts (one of which was paid in full with the payment I mailed) and the customer service reps were absolutely horrible to deal with. They were rude, talk over you, don't listen to anything and do not help solve the issue at all. They want me to send them a copy of my SS card and license in the mail. I got these cards with my SS number, they made a mistake and they refuse to fix it. I cancelled both cards and will never deal with this bank again.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I've had a Torrid card for 1 1/2 years. I was a Platinum member. I checked my acct & it said no payment due. I checked it again & it said it was past due & they charged me a late fee of $38. I paid this amount. A few days later I discovered I had lost my card. I called to have new cards sent. I get an update from Credit Karma saying that the creditor closed my account. I called customer service & they told me that Comenity system automatically closed my account because I had a recent late payment & requested a new card. That's absolutely nuts. Had I known that I would've never ordered new cards. Way to drop the ball big time customer service. It's crazy that Comenity has no loyalty to their customers. I have more Comenity cards. My husband & I will not be supporting them & giving them our money anymore. They blew it big time!!!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Through August 2017 I used my Visa card, received eStatements and paid my bill(s) on time. I received a phone call today regarding a past due amount. I NEVER pay my bills late. I DID NOT receive any statement of accounts since August 2017. Without a statement I would not have remembered I made one charge. I was told by a representative that several attempts to call me were unsuccessful. I always respond to voicemails, but I never received one voicemail from your company. I was told voicemails were not left on these type of calls. Really???

I am not happy that for a $9.07 McDonald's charge that I do not remember making back in Dec. 2017 I had to pay $25 today. This is not about the money, but about your policies. I am not likely to ever use your card again. Any other bank would have notified me in writing or by phone before it escalated to over 60 days past due. Again, I NEVER pay my bills late, ever. Not a good experience at all with your bank.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

When I applied for this card at Victoria's Secret -- simply to take advantage of the special promo sales and discount at that time -- I didn't know that they used Comenity "bank," which isn't even an accredited bank; it's a credit agency. Which means their goal is to make money off you not paying off your balance so they can make money by charging interest and late fees.

1) Do NOT opt-in for paperless statements. Your credit card statement emails will not have a distinct subject message headers, and you will receive so many VS promotional emails that the credit card ones will be easy to miss -- especially since they do not have proper subject headings. A credit card email subject line should read something like: "Credit Card statement from..." Not these. They begin "Victoria's Secret..." All of the VS promo emails, and there are sometimes one or more a day, start looking like junk mail. VS also shares your email with other companies, which they state in the paperless opt-in agreement -- so you'll receive even more promo emails than you want.

2) When you call the customer service number it loops you again and again through the options even when it says "stay on the line for more options" -- it just takes you back to the beginning. If you're patient, somehow I was able to connect with a live person (who had a thick Indian accent and sounded extremely bored with his job). With normal service lines, if you press '0' at any time, it connects with a service rep; NOT with this company.

3) I made a payment by phone with a rep and he never completed the transaction -- there is a record that I called that day, but no payment. Fast forward a few months, I haven't used the card, so am not checking my balance -- believing it is ZERO. Then I get a statement in the mail, 3 months later, saying I have a $48 balance -- after adding interest fees ($1 every month) and late fees (which are MORE than the original $13 balance), all for an original $13.06 charge balance that I had authorized paid by phone months ago.

After about a 25+ minute phone call, including the complex "press #" option maze, talking to the monotone Indian man, and then insisting on speaking with a supervisor, I was finally able to explain the situation to a supervisor (who spoke clear American English). I don't mind speaking with anyone who has an accent (my dad speaks with an accent), but a customer service rep needs to speak clearly, no mumble, use inflection, and act courteous and interested in what you are calling to discuss. The supervisor assured that he would fix the situation since my original balance of $13.06 was so low. I authorized by phone a payment from my bank checking account, and the supervisor confirmed that the late & interest fees would be taken off my account. As a result, however, my account would be frozen for 18 months, which is fine because I want to cancel this card anyway -- it's not worth the hassle.

However, today I get a text that my credit report has changed (via TrustedID.com), but checking my VS card account, there has been no changes to it and is still reporting that I have a past due amount. T as of today, the following day, it still is showing on my online account records that it has been corrected. I sent a message to customer service, since I am not in the mood to call this morning.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I placed the order on February 5th. I had the money in my account so February 5th they told me it was denied. I'm thinking I'm getting my package so on February 16th I place the order again. It says that, "Your order has been processed" then I get another email stating, "Unfortunately we cannot process your order" so I called this morning to ask why my order was not process and I had the money there. She said, "Oh you were behind two payments" as I've been with you almost 2 years and I'm behind to pay I have the money in there so then she tells me, "Oh well you can use your card February 21st." I needed it by February 22nd and the representative that I spoke to she was just so rude like, "Oh well. Like I said you can place your order tomorrow."

And the supervisor was no better. Like I said they should have explained this to me on the 5th when I place the order as well on the 16th when I place the order and this isn't even my complete order. I had five items but when they send an email they only had down there three items. I had an item for 4999 and a item for 39 99 along with the other three items that I have.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

Sorry this is so long, There isn't much more to say other than what has already been written. Got my WITHIN statement owing for Jan. Tried posting payment all through Jan and the system wouldn't allow me to. Every day I went in to post their online system would tell me "you do not have a payment due at this time". Finally made a phone a call after getting a useless rude message center response. Guy on the phone was kind but tells me, "I see here you do not have a payment due til Feb." Hmmm...okay I guess. Weird. WELL Feb comes & voila their payment system allows me to finally post payment. And wouldn't you know it, payment doesn't post. Ugh OK...back to the drawing board. No contact from Comenity AT ALL via paperless or other stating this had happened. Whats going on? Do some digging, check my profile and notice my banking information has an error. Hmm, Okay let me make sure my information is correct. Yea all is accurate.

Sooo I try to read the info, "error can't do same as previous info". Might I also add this is same and only checking account I have that I paid my previous orders in the past from...okay. Let me ask via msg ctr what the deal is. Again, a rude useless reply from S. ** (sad I knew the name already from his other rude useless response, probably not even him). Tells me NOW to pay via laptop and not mobile and that my next statement isn't due til 2/19?? Oh you mean the one with your surprise late fee?? Oh the next statement where your system still won't let me pay?? I'm trying to avoid your outrageous late fees Sir. Why are you not allowing me to do this? Why did your bank return my payment and not even tell me so that it wouldn't happen again to avoid fees next payment? Why is your system reading my Bank info as error all the sudden now.

Everything, I mean EVERYTHING they are pulling here is a scam to tack on late fees even if you are trying to pay. I PAY MY BILLS YO. Now YOU'RE MESSIN WITH MOMMAS MONEY DOGG!! Please for the love of god do not use these guys. BEWARE!!! I only charged 2 payments worth on my card and can see them trying to squiggle those late fees. I hadnt even charged anything in years prior to this. I have a few other retailer cards with them I've never used. Never going to now either. Thank god I check my debit history on the reg to see nothing had posted from them to look into this. Still waiting for another reply where so far for me their msg ctr service has just been a useless joke.

Updated on 03/07/2018: Unprocessed payments on their end sent my account to be closed which took my credit score down. Still waiting via msg center for help and log in to see a new double charge from a pair of Jeans I had already been charged for and paid on. I wish I had never dealt with this company. Processing payments late on their end to send me a bogus bank error so I can't even pay. Sends your account to be closed. All this while taking care of my sick mom. Been trying to pay off a measly 60 bucks for weeks now. I have no idea how to solve this issue. All the replies I've gotten so far are vague and dodgy. So much unprofessional stress...

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I just got off the phone with a lady who was very rude. Let me backtrack for a moment, I talked with a man last week who told me to call back as soon as I got my taxes and then I would pay my card off completely (he knew of my situation because I've dealt with him before). He told me he made note of it. Well I kept getting harassing calls all day long even on the weekends, while in class and at work. I spoke with another woman a day after him and she told me it was noted but she said she noted it and said everything was fine. Well I guess not.

I answered a call from a very rude woman today. I explained the situation and my last two calls. She told me she didn't know why anyone would say that and I didn't have that option, she kept drilling me about other bills I pay being very nasty and accusatory. I kept trying to explain that within the month I'll be paying it totally off. She finally laughed and said "well I'm gonna have to wish you luck with this one hon. The bank wants their money." And hung up. I'm paying it off within the month, I've told them this. And now all of the sudden it's not ok to do this? Moral of the story; don't do business with these people. The harassment is giving me anxiety. I'm so sick of these people. Never shipping at Victoria's Secret again

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

You see a lot of people giving them 1 or 2 stars, I myself have a lot of Comenity Bank cards, and 2 yrs ago my score was 513 and out of all the banks they gave me chance and since then I always paid good and now my score is 700. If it wasn't for them giving me a chance I prob be still stuck trying to improve my score. Now I have 2 Amex and Discover, Amazon and Wal-Mart and many others, so thank you Comenity for giving chances when many said no.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I paid off my Lane Bryant account in October. Despite this, there were a few applied to my account. I called in November and they said it was an error and they would remove the fees. We are now into February and I just got another statement today. Another late fee on top of all the late fees they have failed to remove. When I call, I always get the name of the person I spoke with. I am so sick of this.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

Comenity is probably the only bank that doesn't allow auto-pay. If you forgot to set up an online payment for the purchase, you get hit with a $27 finance fee. They totally suck. I am canceling my Crate & Barrel card. They aren't worth the trouble.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

My chronically ill 76 year old mother had an account with Comenity to pay for her dentures. In January of last year (2017) she became very ill & was in and out of the hospital for months and then on hospice. I continued to pay her bills - not one late payment, ever. July 14, 2017 her dentures were finally complete. July 28th she went into a coma, and passed away August 12, 2017. As the executor of her estate, I notified every company that she owed money to and either paid, put on a payment schedule, negotiated the bills down, or had the bills discharged completely.

September 12, 2017 I spoke with Comenity, explained that my mother had passed. The rep (Diane) told me how sorry she was, and that my mother’s account would be closed. Do not pay anything. I needed to fax a copy of my mother’s death certificate to their “Deceased Department”. Which I did, and I included the copy of her September statement (which I had already paid by the way).

October 13, 2017 I received a bill from Comenity - this one included a late fee. I called again. The rep (Marcus) apologized profusely, looked at the account, said that the account was closed, disregard, do not pay. I never received another thing from Comenity. Not one more piece of mail, not a phone call. Nothing. Fast forward to yesterday, February 9, 2018. I signed for a certified letter. To my shock it was from the debt recovery company Ascension Point Recovery Services on behalf of Comenity Capital Bank for $1128. I called Comenity yet again. The rep (Rihanna) told me she wasn’t able to be specific about the details of my mom’s account because there was no power of attorney on file. I told her that was irrelevant since POA ends with a person’s death and what she should have been asking for was the letter testamentary - which, as the estate executor, I had.

However, the two previous occasions I had spoken with Comenity. NO ONE REQUESTED IT IN ORDER TO SPEAK WITH ME ABOUT THE ACCOUNT. Rihanna told me that she could accept payment from me today (I am not legally or personally financially responsible for this bill - she knows this, and I told her that I would not be paying it that day). She repeated that she wasn’t able to speak with me about my mother’s account, and that the reps I spoke with in the past should not have told me anything about my mother’s account. I told her (again) that I am the executor of my mother’s will and they certainly did speak with me. Two months in a row.

The rep placed me on hold, again. Had me speak with a supervisor (Amy) who again placed me on hold. When she came back on the line, she kept saying over and over, “I’m trying to figure out what went wrong on our end. I think I see what... Hmmm. What went wrong. I think I see...” “Amy” never finished those sentences, was completely noncommittal about “what went wrong on their end” and then she had the audacity to advise me to call the debt recovery company to see what THEY could explain to me.

At that point, I was beyond angry. I explained that the two previous occasions I had spoken with Comenity reps (9/12/17 & 10/13/17), I asked what happens going forward - and they BOTH told me “NO MORE BILLS. DO NOT PAY. ACCOUNT CLOSED.” I told her (Amy) that I want someone from COMENITY to explain to me how my mother’s account went from, "NO MORE BILLS. DO NOT PAY. ACCOUNT CLOSED," to “This is an attempt to recover a debt”.

I also told “Amy” that I would have paid what I could in September/October. I would have negotiated the payment down and I would have PAID it. Instead, I get blindsided with an $1128 bill. I have been paying all of my mother’s bills, using the money she had left in her checking account. She didn’t have much. If Comenity Capital Bank hadn’t engaged in deceptive tactics and had accepted a smaller payment on my mother’s balance in September, they would have received something. My mother’s account is now almost depleted. There is no “$1128”. My experience with Comenity has been abysmal. Deceptive and predatory are the only adjectives I would use to describe Comenity Bank and their business practices. Shame on them.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I forgot to pay and was charged a late fee. Fair enough. I paid off the balance and decided not to use the account anymore since it was really only for convenience sake. I went on the site to shop one day and saw that I had another charge. They had added a $2 minimum charge -- if you don't have a balance THEY CHARGE YOU! And when you don't pay since you foolishly think you don't have a balance, they charge you a $22 late fee! How's THAT for a brilliant scam!! I emailed to cancel the account immediately. I got an email back from Comenity Bank that agreed the account was canceled that day and I owed $22. I paid the $22.

I went back the next month and they had charged me AGAIN! $2 with a $22 late fee! I paid. I know, I know, but I just wanted them gone and I knew if I called they would say, "It's because of this and this and you didn't pay"... I took the easy way out, paid the money and emailed again to close the account. They emailed back that the account was already closed a month ago. So I went to look and they had charged me again! WTF?! So I've called and been put on hold repeatedly, eternally. Now I'm going to write again. I am not paying them anymore and I hope they take me to court. I would love to tell them what I think of them!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Have tried to pay on my card. They will not accept a debit card from PayPal. PayPal is a debit card. I've been very frustrated at this point because now they want to rack on interests from my balance that I owe. All I want to do is pay the thing off and be done with it. When I was offered the card no one told me that they had certain ways that you could only pay. I pay my other bills using the same card but I can't pay using my card with them. Bunch of crock to me. Do not get this card.

This is how they rip you off. Now I find out they won't accept union either. They also don't have an autopay! Never seen this before. They literally told me I had to take money from my accoun,t go purchase a debit card and pay them. What??? PayPal is debit!!! I am beyond mad. I've gotten calls from Kansas, Ohio, all over the place. I told them not to keep calling me but they do so in keeping track because since they keep on that is more money for me in the long run. For anybody that doesn't know FTC regulates and tells you that once you tell them to quit calling you and they do it is $1,000 per call.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I had a Victoria’s Secret credit card. Comenity is the finance company that issues the card. I received a bill for a late charge for fraud protection on my account which I did not ask for but was charged for it anyway. I contacted Comenity and was told that that was provided through an outside agency and I had to contact them. I did this and they credited my account for the fee but I was still expected to pay the late charge for a service that I did not consent to. This was even after the outside agency credited my account for their fee yet Comenity Still said I had to pay the late fee. I never consented or asked for this service but I charged for it anyway and when I didn’t pay it I was charged a late fee. I never ordered any merchandise or went into the store to purchase any items. This late fee was solely based on a mistake made by someone at Comenity and I got left holding the bag and when I didn’t pay Comenity continued to access late fees. My account was paid off until this debacle happened. Now to top it all off my account is sold to an credit agency which they are asking for almost $500 for someone else’s mistake.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

A bank that supports 163 retailers by giving credit card option to customers doesn't have an "AUTOPAY" option in their payment method. I am a 10 yr veteran of Express clothing for men. I not only shop at Express regularly but uses an Express credit card. Unfortunately; I don't pay attention to my PDF statements, and all my credit cards are on "Auto Pay". But this credit card company doesn't offer "AUTOPAY". You can't even set up payment below 30 days. I mean; that's what Wells Fargo did and charges million of $$ to people; and this bank clearly following other banks scamming customers. Will close this account ASAP; and will create awareness in people shopping at Express.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Your OFX downloads are not correct. They are showing all transactions as purchases. So when I make a payment it downloads as a purchase for that amount. This is playing havoc with my MSMONEY software. Can you please fix your OFX downloads to conform to the published standards for OFX downloads?

Comenity Company Information