3.02/5

456 Comenity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 20, 2019

I successfully opened a savings account but when I tried to add a CD account, I kept getting denied, which is really strange since I have a credit score of 830. Even then, this is a CD and not a credit card so why would you deny a CD account? I called their 800 number but that number is only for the credit card department. They tried to route me to the savings department, but I was routed back to the exact same 800 number. It's like the savings department does not exist! So I tried to email them and contact them online, only to have really slow response, and someone promising me they will call me when they didn't. Something fishy is going on and I might have to pull out all my savings from the account I just opened, and run.

Original review: May 17, 2019

Comenity Bank has a decidedly anti-disabled attitude. They claim they treat all their customers "fairly and equally", which is ableist rhetoric; it's like telling someone that since some people don't need a wheelchair or a hearing aid, nobody should use one at all so it can be "fair and equal". They would rather disabled people drag themselves around on the ground so that things are "fair and equal". These kind of ableist company policies are disgusting.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Will someone please tell me how to get in touch with corporate. I have experienced every single concern. Something has to be done. I'm in fear that if I pay them and close them I could hurt my credit score only to find out yesterday that one my paid accounts had been closed due to inactivity. This Comenity bank can't get away with this, my FICO score has dropped 15 points dealing with this mess. Someone please help and post about so that we can help everyone else.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Tried to open a saving account and was denied. Contacted the bank for an explanation (required by law by the way) and was told they did not have to explain anything at all. No idea how someone can be denied opening a saving account. Opened with Citi the very next day.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I am in the process rebuilding my credit after a bankruptcy a few years ago. I opened accounts with a small limit with some different businesses that use Comenity (mostly fashion/retail). I have paid all payments on time and all of a sudden, they lowered my limits due to a temporary decline in my credit score due to an error that was taken care of. My score recovered after the error was taken care of but they used that one moment in time as an excuse to lower the ;limits on all the accounts that they service, which in turn caused my credit score to go down more. I am in the process of paying off and closing all Comenity serviced accounts. The Businesses (as well as Comenity) will be the ones to lose as they will not get my business anymore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

Original review: May 9, 2019

This bank sets you up to fail. They provide you the minimum payment, which goes down every month. So you pay it on time, every month, thinking you are on target. Nope, this predatory bank is depending on you having a balance at the end, so they can charge you INSANE interest. 4000 bed set, added 2400 in interest?! They do not send an email or letter saying “Friendly reminder your promotional time is nearing an end!”s. Just a little line item in small print on the last page of your statement.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I have a few different Comenity Bank card from various stores. While most have auto pay, New York & Company does not. Every month I go in and set the payment to pay off the balance. SOMEHOW last month it didn't take. I called to get the $27 late fee reversed, and they said they only do that once every 18 months. I told them in 2019, there is NO REASON any company shouldn't have auto pay. They told me that New York & Company OPTED OUT of auto pay. So yes I will be doing a review for them next.

This is consumer fraud. PERIOD! This is a way of squeezing money from a customer who pays their balance every week. Then they pass the buck and say, "Oh, New York & Co. opted out and, we are trying to get all of our clients on board with auto pay." This makes it evident that they are aware of the problem and will do nothing about it. Priding myself on paying all of my credit cards off every month makes this whole situation annoying. So if you are thinking about getting a card from a store which is backed by Comenity, I suggest you find out if they do auto pay or be prepared for unfair late fees to pad their wallet.

Original review: May 6, 2019

Purchased a watch in the Bahamas at Little Switzerland with 24 months FREE FINANCING and made every payment on time. Made my last payment on the day I made all my other payments & had a zero balance. Comenity charged me $3921.94 interest!!! I called and they told me the last payment was due early and there is no way to reverse the charge. What a SCAM. BEWARE!

Original review: May 6, 2019

Hello. Comenity Bank needs to be investigated on the many complaints I see here. I myself need to post this issue I see. For some reason I seem to be Comenity's bank target. They own Pier 1 and Express stores' credit accounts for charge cards. Even though my account has maintain a good standing of repayment history and usage. I have begun shopping for a home loan and all of a sudden this (Comenity Bank) decides to issue a report of decrease credit that put me in a immediate disadvantage with a drop in my credit score.

They went from a 700 credit line to a 100 line of credit. I was listed as owing only 96 dollars but at 96% usage. WOW. Then after my call inquiring why. The agent communicated with decession folks via text while I was on the phone and the response was there was nothing that can be done for him. WOW. I then notice another hit update to my report stating the same negative information. Is there anything that can be done to kill their efforts to discredit some with a 90 - 100% repayment history.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I have recently opened C21 dept store credit card without knowing that is it issued by Comenity Capital Bank. I regret my decision now. They charged me returned payment fee for the payment that I have made through my bank saying that it was my bank's fault. I explained them that my bank never stopped the payment and it must have been an error. Comenity Capital Bank manager, who is very rude and disrespectful informed me that they will not return any fees, because it's company's policy. They think they can get away with anything. Scam artists work on this bank. Stay away from them!!!

Original review: May 4, 2019

I'm a victim of identity theft. It's stated in my EQ and TU credit report but EX failed to report it. I have a police report and all. I have a 100% pay history! They dropped my CL $3000 to $900! No call or warning!That tanked my scores! I called Comenity but it was of no concern to them. They refused to pull my other bureau reports or take my perfect history into consideration. They were rude and treated me like I deserved it and I had done something wrong. The only reason I got the $900 was because my balance was $850. I closed my account and told them what to do with that $900.

Original review: May 4, 2019

I applied for a Goody's credit card and used it same day. I had forgotten about it until 90 days later when I received a statement. I paid it in full, hefty finance charges and all. I then received another late fee. I called them and explained that I had paid it and they waived the fee....or so they told me. Two months later I get another statement showing 3 months worth of late fees and finance charges.

Original review: May 4, 2019

COMENITY CAPITAL BANK is the ONLY credit card company that doesn't provide automatic recurring payments. Any payment after 8 PM eastern time on the due date is flagged as late & a $38 late fee payment gets posted to your account. You can't get the late fee reversed, even if you were 1 minute past 8 PM eastern or 5 PM western. This is a deceptive business model they have. Imagine just 1% of a million customers make this mistake every month. That's 380K in late fees they collect every month! Now, I'm assuming they have more than 1 million customers, so you could imagine how much money they STEAL from customers on an annual basis. Word of advice for COMENITY! Offer an automatic/recurring payment system LIKE EVERY OTHER CREDIT CARD COMPANY & STOP TREATING YOUR CUSTOMERS like the piggy banks.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I have no idea where this account came from, and have no affiliation with them at all. Showed up on my credit report and they repeatedly call me saying I owe them money, but won't explain why or where it came from. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: May 1, 2019

If I would of known when I opened my credit card with David's Bridal I would have this terrible of an experience, I never would of opened my account. I paid for an $800 wedding dress with this credit card. Then when I made my final payment of $120, they "sent my payment back" and charged me a $30 late fee, and a $50 payment processing fee. Which was impossible to be late because I had made my payments 5-7 days earlier than when they were due.

So I called again and told them I had already made my payment over the phone with my debit card. Then they told me that there was no way I had made my payment with my debit card because they only accept bank account numbers, even though I had made my other payments with the same debit card. All they do is hold your payment so they can charge a late fee and collect more money. I am refusing to pay late fees and "processing" fees because they didn't process my payment for weeks after I had made my payment. Save yourself hundreds and hundreds of dollars and DO NOT open an account with them. I would give them zero stars if they would let me. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE CREDIT CARD COMPANY!

Original review: April 30, 2019

I have a Gardner-White credit card through this bank. I was making monthly payments for my purchase, actually much earlier than the due date because it worked out better for me that way. Last month, I a made an early payment, and I didn't realize that the last statement period had not closed yet (it was the last day before closing). When my due date came around, I still owed the minimum balance, even though I thought my early payment would apply on this statement due date. I was charged a hefty late fee and interest charge.

I called the bank as soon as I saw this and spoke with 3 people about my situation, and all 3 of them claimed that they weren't "allowed" to waive any fees OR even change my due date to a more convient date for me to avoid this issue in the future. I have excellent credit and a great reputation with this bank. This was clearly an honest error on my part - I was making payments EARLY for heaven's sake! I have never come across such terrible customer service with any of the credit card companies I bank with. I can't wait to pay my balance off so that I never have to bank with them again.

Original review: April 29, 2019

Comenity Bank sets up what they call an 'automatic payment' process which is, in fact, a manual process. Comenity is falsely claiming an automatic set-up, when in fact the consumer must manage the payment to ensure it is not late. They are not customer oriented, and probably make a lot of money on late fees (and ruin a lot of Credit Ratings) as a result. Be careful!

Original review: April 27, 2019

Opened a Bed, Bath and Beyond CC through this bank 2 months ago. They did not process my on-time payment until after the due date so they could charge me a late fee. When I called customer service, they tried to blame my bank. They waived most of the late fee, but not all. I then made another payment for the entire balance. I tried to use my card online and it was declined. I called Comenity back and was told that I was being punished for my late payment and was not allowed to use my card for a month. What?!? Am I in kindergarten? Horrible customer service to say the least. DO NOT OPEN ANY ACCOUNTS WITH COMENITY BANK!! They are crooks. Closed my account. This review made me give a star to process my story. I give them zero stars.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I have 4 store cards with Comenity and at first I was very grateful for them taking a chance on me and helping me to build my credit, despite the ridiculous interest rates. (I have seen worse.) I've had my cards for up to a year. (I didn't get them all at once.) Everything was great until I made a purchase with one card and realized I was over my limit. The purchase was about 25% of the available limit I'd had. I contacted them to find out why they'd decreased my limit and they said "something on your credit report". Nothing had changed on my credit report other than credit card usage (their cards). I told them I'd been using my cards for months and ALWAYS made my payments on time if not early. They apologized for the inconvenience and that was the end of it. Ok. Whatever, right?

A couple months go by and it happens with another card. Alrighty then. They don't charge an over limit fee, so I guess I'll just be sending them less money since I can't use my cards. I check my cards weekly. One card in particular, I had tried REALLY hard to bring the balance down and I noticed they reduced my limit by $170!!! It was my Meijer card and I was planning on using that for groceries this weekend, so I am SO upset!!! My score has gone up recently due to less card usage, on time payments and having a false collection removed. They had absolutely no reason to reduce my limit. I'm done. I have regular cards that have better limits and lower interest rates now, so I'm going to pay off my Comenity cards and stop using them.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Please DO NOT OPEN or get any credit cards from ANY stores that use this bank!!! Poor customer service, didn't send my credit card or bill on time and THEY just keep adding late fees even though I called several times explaining that I did not receive a bill or my card card. POOR customer service, still having a hard time trying to cancel this credit card I got via Ann Taylor. Never USING or shopping at Ann Taylor, they were not helpful when I called them either.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Unfortunately when I signed up for this CC I didn't know it was through Comenity otherwise I wouldn't have. They screwed me over when I tried to make a payment over the phone with them so I learned to never do that again. Fast forward, stuck with them again. I'm trying to get my card registered online, I've been waiting for my card to come in the mail, never came. Asked for them to send it again. Never came. Asked them to give me my account # over the phone. They said I had to go to a store. I'm nowhere near a store so I called them and they said they wouldn't be able to give me my account in the store anyways. Not trustworthy. I will only make my payments on-line because there is proof of transaction. DO NOT TRUST THEM!!!

Original review: April 16, 2019

They take my payment. It shows pending through my bank, but before it’s processed they withdraw. Then charge me a late fee and say it’s on my end with my bank. So I just paid full amount next month to cancel out account. But again they withdrew before payment is processed. Guess what another late fee. I’m now figuring out that since it’s 6 months no interest. They want to stretch this out as long as possible. So they can start charging me late fees AND interest!!!

Original review: April 16, 2019

I have Comenity bank credit card and I set up on automatic payments that are sent out 5 days BEFORE they are due. They routinely charge $38 for late fees because they are saying they can't control the mail. When I asked to speak to the processing department they said that department doesn't receive phone calls. How convenient!!! Every month my payment is process 3 to 10 late so they can charge the fee. Big time scam artists!

Original review: April 14, 2019

All of my credit cards at this company are all in good standing and even got a credit increase. I didn’t use the card for a little while, when I was about to make a purchase and checked my available credit, my credit was decreased. I called them the next day to find an explanation why. The Customer Rep couldn’t give me an answer, she kept saying that corporate decided it and I will get a letter to let me know. I asked if I had a late payment and she said no. I know for fact I did not because I checked my credit to make sure before calling them.

On top of that, the reps will cut you off after 10 mins. They will hung up on you after a few minutes because they do not want to listen after they gave you their unsatisfactory and vague answer why your credit is decreased. I think the reps are trained that way. I contacted Better Business Bureau and filed a complaint for their practices. After reading the comments on here, I realized that they are doing this to everyone and it is not right. When they took back my credit increase, it affects my FICO and points dropped significantly. This really upsets me. So I suggest contact the Better Business Bureau and complain about them. If there are more of us complaining it will opt for them to investigate this company for their business practices.

Original review: April 11, 2019

No one ever told me when I signed up for this card that I would have to drive over 100 miles every month to make payments. It was never in any of the paperwork that I had to have a bank account to make payments. (Which I do not and will not.) The closest Lane Bryant to me is over an hour away, and it has been a nightmare for me trying make these payments every month. The fact that you don't accept debit cards for online payments and then charge a $10 fee to do a phone payment is ridiculous and stupid.

Original review: April 10, 2019

I applied for an AKC Visa card, was accepted, received a bunch of letters from them, finally activated the card, and then got another letter saying they'd closed it because there had been too many inquiries on my credit report in the past whatever period of time. I just moved, bought a house, and shuffled around my finances, but I still have a credit score of over 750. I make over $150,000 a year and am single with no children. These people are morons and do not honor their commitments to customers or even do what's in their own best financial interest.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I've never dealt with an organization with worse customer service. As a former Director of Customer Service, I can authoritatively state that either they have total disregard for the customer or are just idiots. I applied for a pre-approved card. It was rejected because the address on the preapproval didn't match the application, however it did match the credit report they pulled. OK, so I applied again, not preapproved. Rejected because it was the second time I applied in 30 days. Doesn't anyone read and understand that their first error resulted in the second one. But wait. It gets better. I wrote a complaint via their web site...which was rejected because....I don't have an account!!! With an 840 FICO score, this should have been a no-brainer. And apparently those are the people Comenity hires. Avoid them.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I agree with the review that stated they hold payments and process a day later. But I am being charged a 38.00 late fee on 3/20/19 when my 200.00 payment was posted on 3/11/19. Bank is crooked and I am canceling card and will not shop from Wayfair.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I have many accounts with this bank. It's the biggest mistake I ever made in my life. After reading all the reviews, sadly I have experienced the same problems. They ruined my perfect credit. Always reducing your credit limits for paying on time and so on. We should get together and file a class action lawsuit. To top it off my debit card was hacked by one of there employees.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I had a one thousand dollar limit on my credit card. They send emails when my statement is ready....sometimes. Received no email and I thought it was odd so logged into my account. Found out I was charged whatever I bought at Bealls, which makes sense PLUS a $15 late fee. Ok, I paid it even though I never received the email. Went to Bealls the next day, waited on line 20 minutes as it was senior day. I was rejected to use my card because it “didn’t clear yet” from the previous payment. So I closed my account with Bealls because I don’t need to be treated like a criminal due to the stupidity of Comenity Bank’s ridiculous laws. Really liked Bealls, but my interaction with their credit company leaves me no choice but to get as far away from them as possible.

Comenity Company Information