Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.07/5

Comenity Reviews

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

Only thing I would caution people to do is to be VERY careful when opening any store credit card that uses Comenity Bank. They are a Fraud with high rates and unfair if not illegal practices. The customer service is unwilling to do anything to help besides saying that they wish they could help.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

I always pay my bills on time, however, I accidentally missed a payment by 2 days and was charged a late fee. So I closed my account and paid the late fee. I was charged another late fee and they refused to take it off! Will not ever use or recommend Comenity Bank for anything...They are RIPOFF!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

Awful! I applied for an Ulta card and a Sephora card within 2 days of each other. Apparently the cards were intercepted by a thief while in transit because Comenity called to tell me they suspected fraudulent transactions on the cards. I said yes because I have not received either card. Comenity canceled the cards and reissued two replacement cards that day.

I received the new Sephora card and called to activate it. Everything was fine. I later received the new Ulta card and called to activate it. The bank told me they had closed BOTH cards! They said our FRAUD department pulled your credit a SECOND time and noticed you have too many Inquiries on your report so we closed both cards. Wait WHAT?!

Why did they approve my applications in the first place? Why did they pull my credit report a second time in less than 30 days? Third, the story about excessive inquiries was untrue so why’re are you lying. What kind of bank approves a customer, upgrades the customer from the private label cards to MasterCard and VISA, then closes the accounts for no justifiable reason.

When trying to resolve this matter, I spoke with a very rude and defensive supervisor in the Fraud department who kept speaking over me. I said this sounds like you all are holding me responsible for the two stolen cards I never received. I said I didn’t conduct those transactions. Perhaps the cards were stolen from my mailbox. I don’t know what happened to them but I never received them. I filed a police report as soon as Comenity Bank told me there were fraudulent transactions on the first cards.

I notified all 3 credit reporting agencies and placed Fraud Alerts on my credit reports. She said our decision to close the cards has nothing to do with the fraud on the cards you never received. She said you’re a credit risk. How is someone in the Fraud department now making an underwriting decision? Credit risk is an underwriting decision and the underwriting department had already assessed my credit worthiness and approved me for both cards at this point. Furthermore, I have good credit which is why they upgraded both my applications from the private label cards to MasterCard and VISA.

Stay away from these people because they’re disrespectful, incompetent, unprofessional, and they have absolutely no regard for customer service. Thank you Comenity for accusing me of being a thief and lying about it by saying you rescinded your offer because I had too many Inquiries on my credit report. That’s hogwash. You people stink like hogs!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

They closed my Ulta MasterCard after 2 late payments without even telling me. When I finally got a new job after 7 months and called to try to catch up on payments, the rep was very nice and said she’d waive late fees on that and a couple other Comenity store cards. She gave me an amount to bring the Ulta card up to current, which I paid. I only found out after checking my credit report that the account had been closed for 2 months!

When I called again, the rep said there was nothing I could do and I can not reopen the account, and acted like it is not unusual to close an account for being 2 months behind. She said in the future I should call if I can’t pay, but that I have to pay anyway even if I can’t afford to pay. The account is closed anyway at this point so what does that even mean??

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I have a few Comenity credit cards. If I could rate them a zero I would. DO NOT OPEN any credit cards with them. They will decrease your limit or close your account once you pay it off or have a large available credit they snatch it right from you! I will NEVER open another single card through them again!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I received catalogs that use Comenity bank. So, I decided to open about 3 accounts, what did I do that for. Along with the outlandish fees for the small credit limits were crazy. They're thieves. They're out for money and that's it. They won't help or negotiate properly. Stay Away, it's a weird company. I've had these accounts for some reason transferred 2x to 2 more fake scam companies who have my information which is fraud. Portfolio/Rausch Sturm

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

Comenity Bank charged me twice finance charged before my 12 months was up. I called them and emailed to explained to them I'm on a 12 month promotion. They did not seem to care or give me an explanation. It was only 2 dollars for 2 months but it is principle. Comenity bank are liars and they lost a good paying customer. I even paid a month ahead and close to the end of my promotion being up. They charged me a late and would not remove that either. I will blast Comenity bank to friends and family. NO ONE SHOULD DO BUSINESS WITH COMENITY BANK. I WILL NEVER DEAL WITH COMENITY BANK AGAIN.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Like many others, Comenity promised a lot, so I applied was approved, but 3 months later, they closed the account, stating I had too many inquiries. LOL, they were the only inquiry. I had used the card once during travel for a hotel stay, paid if off the following week. I called support, that was a bad experience, unprofessional and rude staff, sounded like they were having a party in the background. I wish I would have read the reviews here first. From my experience, don't do business with Comenity!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

My payment was due the 12th of January. I pay all my bills online using billpay service and never had a problem with a late fee. I sent the payment on Jan 6th, plenty of time to arrive on time. Post office mail takes 2 days to get to TX. Get my next statement from them and it has $28 late fee and $5 interest and shows my payment was received on the 15th. We statement was mailed to me on the 17th. I call in to talk to them. They will not talk to me because the account is in my wife's name.

So I call back the next day speaker phone with my wife. They tell me that check payments require 7 to 10 business days to process. Ok, so if that's the case, how could you have received my payment to credit to my account and still charge me the late fee. It doesn't seem toaster if the payment arrives on time. It's if it fits into their window. It seems they are willing to hang on to your payment and take a couple days to process in order to generate revenue in late fees. I promptly closed the account and will never go back. 5% discount is not worth the hassle.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

I purchased a wedding ring on 11/23/18 from Kay Jewelers. I was told that if I opened an account with Comenity Bank and paid off the balance within 12 months I would not be charged any interest. The balance was divided into 12 payments with the first payment due on 1/16/19. This was done automatically through their direct draft system. Unbeknownst to me, because I made the purchase in November of 2018, the balance had to be paid by November 2019. Their system automatically divided my balance into 12 easy payments and pushed the first payment one month out causing me to be one month late on my final payment. I was charged 12 months interest for the entire amount from the date of purchase. I realize that if I had paid closer attention and had not been so trusting I would have caught their little scam. I didn't and now I know and I'll never do business with them again.

Not sure about Comenity?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mortgage company for you.

Comenity Company Information