1.12/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 19, 2017

220 Comenity Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I was shopping online at Victoria Secret which I shop a lot at & it says you have been pre approved for a VS card for $300. So I got the card as I'm trying to improve my credit score. I've had the card 2 months. Charged $250 & am late not even a week & they cancelled my card & I was alerted by Credit Karma. Same thing happened with Express. I was online shopping & it said I was pre approved for an Express Next card for $500. Not even a week late & they cancel my account. Again not notified by them but by Credit Karma.

After getting both the VS credit card & Express Next card I was shopping on Forever 21 & it says I was pre approved for the Forever 21 Visa which is a Visa that can be used anywhere for $1000. I get the card in the mail & activate it & go to use it & it won't work so I called & they said my account had been cancelled because my score had dropped but that they would reconsider in 30 days. They said they were sending a letter as to why the account was cancelled. Never received the letter but did receive one saying please activate your card so you can earn points, etc.

So I activate again & card won't work. Call Comenity & they tell me no the card was still cancelled. Then I get a notification that Forever 21/Comenity did a hard pull on my credit. So my credit score has dropped drastically because they cancelled 2 cards for not even being a week late with a payment. I was in the hospital with double pneumonia. Then now they did a hard pull on my credit for Forever 21 Visa lowering my score even more. Do not get any cards from this company. THEY CANCEL CARDS BEFORE THEY EVEN ARRIVE TO YOU & CANCEL THEM FOR NOT EVEN BEING LATE A WEEK. I gladly would have paid late fees. They are making my credit worse!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I recently had the displeasure of getting a late fee because I thought I paid bill in full and for 2 months they did nothing but charge me and on a account where in Sept I was to be reimbursed. They credit me 10 31 17 which confused their system and when I went to pay they said no payment due meanwhile a few days later I'm late. I have never missed a payment in 4 years ever and it's affected my credit.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I have a credit card with Comenity Bank for New York and company store. For the past few years I have always paid my bill on time. I paid my bill late by a few days this month which makes me current now and they tell me I cannot purchase anything until after the next billing cycle which is 30 days from now. What a bunch of crap. Have never had anything like this happen with any other card. I will pay my total balance off and close this account permanently. The worst card I have ever had.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I have a Lane Bryant card through Comenity, and recently fell behind on ONE payment. Well, last Friday they called me from an unknown number every hour on the hour beginning at 8:30 in the morning and did not leave a message. I answered the last call and was obviously agitated because they had been calling me hourly. I explained that I knew I missed one payment because I had checked my account regularly. I told them that their tactic of calling hourly from unknown numbers and not leaving a message was not acceptable, because I didn’t know who it was or what it was in reference to and that there was absolutely no reason to call someone every hour on the hour, and work and have a 2-year-old and it is infuriating.

The person tried to explain they do that to get the contact with the customer, to which I replied that it is not a good business tactic and they should re-evaluate their practices. I then hung up on him. I am not a mean person, but I couldn’t help it this time because it was completely ridiculous and a nuisance to do this. I have not gotten a call from them since last week. Once this card is paid off (probably this month), I will be canceling and closing the account because of this.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

GameStop credit card - I only bought about $65 in video games but paid over $200 in various fees and charges. Their website NEVER WORKED properly from the day I signed up. I finally made payment in full a SECOND TIME and closed the account... Then they had the gall to try to add additional charges and send me a bill... I want negative overdue payment reports erased. They were mainly due to their website being unable to show me details about my account and/or accept payments. They also need to erase their latest attempt to add charges to a CLOSED ACCOUNT with a ZERO BALANCE. I also consider all of their charges other than the one PURCHASE I actually placed shortly after opening account as fraudulent since their website was so poor that I was never able to successfully use it since the date the account was opened.

Message to BBB - They represented to me after my $37 payment on 10/20/2017 that there was a ZERO balance and no further charges would accumulate. I closed the account immediately after paying this balance. Now they show the account as closed but added charges to it AFTER representing that $37 would settle all claims in full. I made it VERY PLAIN that I would pay the $37 ONLY on the condition that it would SETTLE ALL CLAIMS IN FULL and close the account with a zero balance. Now they are fraudulently trying to add charges again. They pulled this once before when I paid the balance in full (Over $100 only to have them claim that payment was 3 days late, adding a late charge and then charges on charges due to their non-functional website).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I recently got married and missed 1 or 2 payments prior to the wedding (they are expensive). I made a payment after the wedding, paying off almost 90% of my total balance. I went to use the card at a department store and it declined. My account showed the payment was received and applied to my account. When calling the credit card company they told me I was out of luck for the next 30 days. I have spent thousands with them and looked to spend more. And in return I got an, "Oh well". NEVER OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH COMENITY BANK. No matter how loyal, or how much money you spend... miss 2 payments and they block you. No guide was made, no proactive approach was taken. Over 15 years in customer service and I have never said, "Oh well" to a loyal customer. My account will be paid off and they will never receive another dime from me.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

I was gone for a couple of weeks. Returned late on Oct 7, 2017 and saw bill from J. Jill which was due on Oct. 19, 2017. Wrote check for full amount and mailed next morning on Oct. 8, 2017 which was a Sunday. I went into the Post Office as I always do to mail the bill. I was surprised to receive another bill from them on Oct 31 for $29 claiming that my payment was late and the $29 was late fees. They posted the payment that was due on Oct 19 on Oct 20. I suspect that they purposely posted the payment one day late so they could collect late fees. There were nearly 2 full business weeks from time check mailed to time it was due. I am calling and writing them and will not pay the fraudulent charges. I will NEVER use the CARD AGAIN and I RECOMMEND NOT SIGNING UP for ANY CREDIT CARDS that GO THROUGH COMENITY BANK. They are THIEVES.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2017

This bank appeared as an open credit card on my credit report. Although I purchased something from Overstock.com around the same timeframe, it was paid for on an existing Chase account. I never initiated nor received a card with them. It's been nothing less than jumping through hoops to try to get it closed. According to Experian dispute dept, the company does not have a phone number, email, or even mailing address -- just a P.O. Box.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I currently hold 3 accounts with Comenity bank and for the most part I am satisfied with their service. However, one thing that I continue to find frustrating is their policy that more than two pending PAYMENTS is suspicious activity. I currently maintain separate accounts for different categories of bills. I went online and scheduled three payments from three separate checking accounts. Note that I have used each of these accounts previously to process payments. This, however, activated a security alert which placed my card in a "denial" status for 24 hours.

I have two issues with this policy. One issue is that the website accepted all three payments without ever notifying me that this would cause the account to be in a "denial" status for 24 hours. Second, I cannot understand why issuing three payments is considered a risk. To make matters worse in my opinion, I had more than enough available credit to make the purchase even without the payments processing. The customer service representative did their best to try to explain this policy to me however I remain dissatisfied with that explanation.

I also found out that if you schedule a payment and change the payment amount, that will treat the one payment as 2 payments. Which can also trigger this denial status. I hope that they look into this issue and either change their policy, or fix their website to notify consumers when making multiple payments that these payments would cause their card to be denied for all purchases for 24 hours.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I don’t know why I’m surprised, but yet again a credit card company figured out a way to screw me over. I was barely late on one or two payments over the course of two years, and apparently that is enough to push you out of their magical little promotional event, upon which you get charged for two years worth of interest on your account. “But wait!” They said, “We gave you a statement with BIG BOLD RED letters on it warning you!” Yeeaah, I checked that statement (and who the hell sits there and reads through every statement they receive anyway?), the letters are tiny, the red is a dark maroon, and it conveniently sits on the back page of where you’ll actually see your statement.

It’s actually harder to see than the black letters, if you can believe that. So yeah, after two years of making payments, and literally one payment away from closing the account, I got nailed with a $600 charge. And of course they don’t care, the woman I talked to just tried to guilt me for not reading every single word of my statement, and acted like they tried SO HARD to warn me. Uh huh. This company sucks. Stay away.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I currently have several accounts with Comenity Bank including Victoria Secret, Stage, Boscov's and along with 8 other cards with them. I have never had a problem with them. I receive my statements paperless only less paperwork via mail. I get monthly statement reminders my statement is ready to view and reminders my payments is due soon. I have been late a few but that's my fault. I will own up to my error. The comments I read here are horrible.

Read your statement shows your due date and clearly shows when a late fee will appear. Read your STATEMENT AND YES BEFORE YOU APPLY READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS. Stop bad mouthing a company when you are in control of making your payments. I have never had a problem with this COMPANY. I pay my Bill. If I am late that is my fault no excuses. And they only report to the credit bureau if you are more than months past due. If you pay your bills on time you would not be charged a late fee!!!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I received at least 5 offers of 0% to transfer for a BJ's rewards card from these clowns. I finally did, and when on phone with application representative to confirm it was 0% because they didn't mention it. They went to their supervisor, came back 5 mins later and confirmed it was 0% on transfers for a year. Great she said, "You were preapproved already." I should have watched my spidey sense cause I felt something was off.

Fast forward a week, I get my card, and a letter saying my interest rate was higher than originally stated or what reservation I applied under. So I call them, they say they don't what rate it is till I use it. Listen that is some b.s., I have plenty other reputable credit cards, from Amex, Citibank, Synchrony and have never heard that line of nonsense before. I refuse to do business with clowns who transact business so disingenuously!! My credit is above 740... Case Closed. ACCOUNT CLOSED AT THAT PHONE CALL.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I have several cards from this bank and rarely use the one with the high balance, however it is the original card issued and accepts purchases from other Comenity catalog partners. It appears they double bill, along with failing to credit items returned to those other companies/partners. I have asked for a detailed, itemized list of all of my purchases, having received only a few with brief details from months ago, referencing companies other than themselves (some items I know I have returned for credit and received from other companies). Really pitiful.

I'm more than regretful that I've shred many of the old documents. The latest balance was a real shocker and a hard lesson learned. Note to all: Keep your paperwork when it comes to credit card affiliates of Comenity Bank. I will not be buying one more thing from them and saving every single piece of paper I get. I suggest you change your bank account number. They took $97.00 from mine without permission on 10/2/2017.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I opened up an account with Overstock.com. They partner with Comenity Bank for their credit card. This was promoted as a 6-month interest deferred card, which is the only reason I signed up. NOW I discover that they have been charging my just under 30% interest since day one. When I called - they said that "maybe I hit the wrong button" and that there is "No way they can change or correct the interest rate." CLEARLY, they can easily make an adjustment in their system, it is just that they refuse to do so. They also refuse to connect you with someone who is empowered to fix their mistakes or misrepresentations. If you work hard for your money, do not do business with Comenity Bank.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

This bank does not guarantee their service terms to customers, and changes the playbook and rules without telling their customers in a specified time. Changes trailing charges, allows to change due dates but doesn't specify if that effectivity has anything to do with already paid interest for a fixed period. Misleads customers.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Do not get any Comenity Bank card. It is a rip off and they do not recognize quality consumers. Their payment system is flawed and you cannot pay early. They will rip you off and take your money even if you pay early and are a conscientious consumer. They will find a way to make money off of you and will not work with you when you complain or ask to have late fees removed. They are not a good company to use for service. I would give them a zero rating if I could! I'm calling my attorney tomorrow about the late fee they added even though my payments were early.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I have an account at Avenue and the credit card is through Comenity Bank. Never, never again. I have closed my Avenue account. I am in the hurricane affected area and have had sketchy phone service, so when it does come back on, I have about 18 calls from Comenity Bank, this bank, under "unknown number." When I answer they identify themselves and then begin to tell me that I am $5.00 past due. Really 18 calls in 2 days over $5.00. I then go to my online account and it shows that I am not past due and my payment is due August 19 and today is the 16. Never, never use this bank. Someone from God only knows what country that can barely speak English then proceeded to tell me rudely to send the money ($5.00) now or else - really, really else!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

On July 29th 2017 I was in a rental car driving, and KingSize text my phone an offer, and because I was driving, (my phone hooked up to the car) my phone automatically responded PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT ME, I AM DRIVING! Well Comenity bank took that as a cease and desist and FROZE ALL MY ACCOUNTS! I was not able to use my cards nor pay payments on any cards! I was not even allowed to talk to a rep without a lawyer! So I had to prove my identity and fax a letter with all cards and info and tell them (I did not have a lawyer) Nor do I even know what they are Talking about.

I have got is mostly Straightened out But Torrid refuses to remove my late fee! I can't deal with these people, it's like being in an emotionally abusive relationship! Just imagine, how many times I had to call and explain this, to the same people over and over! BE CAREFUL AND AWARE OF YOUR CELL PHONE AND RINKY DINK COMPANIES LIKE THIS, IT COULD SERIOUSLY RUIN YOUR CREDIT!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

BEWARE! - DO NOT OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH COMENITY BANK UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET SCREWED! I opened a Pottery Barn and a Pier One account when I purchased a new home because of the discounts and points offered by the stores. For a while, I was o.k. with their service except for the length of time it would take payments to post.

Without my knowledge or consent, or any notice whatsoever from Comenity, more than one new account was opened in my name. These accounts had credit limits well above all of my existing accounts except for one with another financial institution. They were linked to emails and phone numbers that I have never heard of and I did not receive anything from Comenity until these accounts had tens of thousands of dollars of charges and months of late fees accrued. I filled out all of their paperwork and they say there "is no evidence of fraud". This is because the fraud is being perpetrated by them. I also made the mistake of giving them my actual phone number when I filed the complaint and am now being harassed by them. I repeat - BEWARE! DO NOT OPEN ANY ACCOUNTS WITH COMENITY BANK!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Spent over an hour on the phone talking to six different reps, being transferred, and once being disconnected. Reps really don't listen to problem and basically give you a canned response. The last one, Lacey, told me she didn't have a supervisor and she was as high as I could go in the organization! Sending a complaint letter on her actions (and hope they pull the tape of the conversation and fire her smart mouth!).

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I've had my Overstock credit card account for some years, and for the first time, I fell behind a whole week with my payment; a representative called me today (9/11/17), and at that time, I promptly paid my past due balance. I then went online to look at my account, and I realized that Comenity Capital Bank lowered my credit line by $1000!! Because I was a week late?

I called back and a representative confirmed that was the reason for the lowered credit line. So, because I was a week late, they decided to lower my credit line, which will negatively impact my credit score. Normal credit cards won't even think about touching your credit limit or credit score unless you're a month or more late. I told the lady to close the account, because it's obvious that this company doesn't care about its customers. Never again.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I have very bad experience with this bank back on 10/15/2016. I was at Gander Mountain store. On checkout the cashier mentioned if I open a credit card they will give me $20 discount, after I open one I asked the cashier if I can pay the balance with the gift card. He said yes so I paid the full balance of $31.04 at the store. Since that I kept receive statement from this bank. I open at least 4 dispute and send them a copy of my receipt with no luck. I kept calling and asked them "am I getting late fee?" They said not during dispute. They were lie to me. After several months they reported me to credit and I had to pay $168 for the purchases which I already paid. Beware.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I think these idiots primarily make their money on late fees. I recently moved to a new city and in the chaos of the move didn't see my paperless statements. They probably were in my junk mail folder but I was so busy the deadline passed me by. The charges were very low - under 20 bucks and they tacked on around an $18 late fee (which wasn't even that late). I called to try to get the fee forgiven and possibly close my card at that time but they would not outright waive the fee like most banks will do when you explain your situation. It's not like I didn't have the funds to pay - it's just that life happens!

I was ready to close the card on that date but they offered some kind of credit to my account amounting to the late fee of around $18 something. I initially thought I could use that towards LOFT purchases at the very least. I didn't receive any notification of this via email so I called back to inquire and was told that my credit limit had been expanded to around $9,018 something instead of $9000. Wow thanks!!! As if I was going to go spend 9 thousand something dollars on purchases period. No fee forgiven at all. What a joke.

The second time I called back to close my card I told the new agent that I was utterly done with this card and Comenity. She finally agreed to close it but said that she hoped I would consider a card with Comenity in the future. Haha right. I said absolutely not and that I would do whatever I could do badmouth the company and its greedy practices. In addition they do not offer automatic payment set-up and I believe this is because they figure they can make money on late fees. People are much busier and more on the go now and any payment situation not offering automatic payments is simply a no-go.

In addition, their phone based payment system is an utter joke and very difficult to navigate. I will be sticking with my bank associated card only now. These so called deals offered with these business associated credit cards simply are not worth it. Comenity is clearly the worst of the worst and I hope to see them go down for their greediness.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I recently paid off my accounts that had been financed through Comenity Bank. The Credit Cards were for Romans, Jessica London, and Woman Within. When I mailed the payments and request to close each account. The checks arrived a few days after the scheduled due date, however, I always paid my bill on time prior to closing the accounts. I had to wait on the telephone for at least 45 minutes just to be told they could not waive fees due to the accounts being closed. I asked if fees could be waived since the sole purpose was to have accounts close in good standing. The customer service rep I spoke to thanked me for being a loyal customer, but, stated there was nothing they could do because my accounts were now closed.

I explained that I had a similar issue with other accounts having a late fee assessed but I had no problem having the late fees waived. They were unwilling to resolve this situation for me. I'm appalled that after spending so much money with this credit card company, that the thanks I received for being a loyal customer since 2012 was to assed fees when it was clear that I was asking to resolve situation favorably.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

I have automatic payment set up for my card. I logged in 2 days before scheduled payment to verify my bank account credentials are up to date on the website. I get a confirmation email saying payment has been made. So of course I'm under the impression that my payment went through. 10 days after the due date, I get a call from Comenity saying that my payment is overdue. So I log back into the website to make another payment. I get another confirmation email saying that the payment has been received. I check my bank account daily to see if it's ever taken out. It hasn't.

I called customer service and the lady that I spoke with tells me that no payment has been received for the current month and that the next payment is in September. I told her that I have confirmation emails saying payment has been made for the current month and she argues with me that I went in the system and changed it to have both payments taken out in September. That's a lie because I have 2 confirmation emails saying payment has been made for the current month. I have now scheduled a payment for the THIRD time to get this issue resolved. What's the purpose of having automatic payments set up if they're not even going to take out the money on the day that they're supposed to? Now it appears that I may be getting a late fee due to their negligence.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I placed several small and "LARGE" orders online at Nordstrom and one order was declined from Comenity. I called them and was transferred to the Security/Fraud department. The CSR said that I had placed several orders small and mostly "Large" orders, and basically she didn't like it. She then disrespectfully put me on hold, and I got another call so I hung up thinking she would take care of the issue. BOY WAS I WRONG! I tried using the Comenity LOVE LOFT MasterCard again, and it was declined. I called Comenity and the guy that I talked to asked me security questions, and he was not satisfied my answers (and I told him that I couldn't answer his questions because he said, "This is time sensitive" and basically hurry up with your answers, and it made me so nervous that I couldn't even think!) so he forcefully closed my account without my consent.

SERIOUSLY, how can he close my account that is in "good standing" without my consent? In the course of our conversation, he said, "You know we report everything to the Credit Bureau." Was that a threat? Comenity Bank closed my account so they could lower my credit score. Last time I checked my credit score was good, and now I have to check it (which will lower my score again) just to see what Comenity Bank did!!! How do they get away with all of this? I don't get it? OH, this was NOT a Security/Fraud issue! It was much more than THAT!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

Now I realized that it is all mistake. I should've read the reviews first... When set up the online account there is no option for auto pay?! Combined with the paperless statements there is no way to find out when your bill is due unless you check your account daily. This is made purposely for the solely reason to forget to pay your bill and charge you ridiculous late fee for it. For a purchase of $17.00 I ended up paying $64... For one missed payment my FICO score dropped from 800 to 720... On top of everything they called me at home and asked me if I can afford to pay the bill?!

I have 19 credit card accounts, all of them are set up on auto pay and never had a missed payment in my life. I have closed immediately this account and would advise everyone else to do so to avoid the sequences of doing business with so called Comenity "bank". I even don't how the law allow them to operate legally after so many complaints.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I paid above my balance every month on time for 1.5 years. Then wham, I get an email at the end of month saying my payment at the beginning was returned and I had all these return fees and such. 2 months later, going thru the hassle of sending in my bank statement, sending in a letter head from the bank, numerous call to fix the problem on their end. I still get told they don't have sufficient proof that it wasn't returned. WHAT?

The bank account statement shows it wasn't, the letterhead from the bank shows it wasn't, what else can they possibly need as proof. Then to top it off, they change the billing and give you an email a week after saying you're late and we charged you and now it's on your credit you're late. After being a faithful creditors for so long. DO NOT USE THIS CREDIT CARD OR PAY IT OFF AND RUN.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

I just got off the phone with them at Comenity "Total Rewards". I pay my statement in full every month. Starting now you are paying a interest fee from any charges you have between Due Date and the Statement Date. My due date is the 5th, my statement date is the 11th, so unless I call or go online and find any charges I did between the 2 dates I will pay interest unless I add them to my balance and pay it right away. So to make it simple "Don't Charge" anything in that 6 day window. Maybe they should pay me interest for paying it early!!!!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

I just being late payment for 2 days and the bill was 26.33. They send me another bill. Ask me to pay 27.33, what a ripoff. How you people ask me to pay more than double of my bill when I am late payment for 2 days. If there were an interest charge I would understand. This bank is robbery. I would never use Victoria Secret Comenity Bank again or for any other card related to Comenity Bank.

Comenity Company Information