Comenity

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have had difficulties with the payment side of this company. A number of times I have had to make a payment after it was electronically sent in because I found it difficult to get that part of their payment system to work either as a single payment or trying to make monthly payment set up. I was getting late charges with statements and after a while I found the only way to make a payment that was processed was by phone. After making a final payment, I got a statement saying that I owed another late charge. Today I called them and told them that the statement I received was incorrect and that I refused to pay any further late charges. I had closed the account on the 5th of January and at first they could not remove the late charge. I finally got hold of someone, who as a courtesy said she would remove it. I suggest that if you are going to order from this group use your own credit cards and leave their Comenity Card out of the situation altogether.

I get that working for this creditor/bank cannot be a walk in the park, but their employees are rude, condescending, call multiple times/day (not just you, the card holder, but your family members, too), and then make up excuses why they're allowed to do this, and state that their employees never dealt with you in an unprofessional manner. Please avoid if you can!

COMENITY Bank is the biggest rip-off company I've ever encountered. They pounce on you one minute after your $1 payment is due and quickly charge you $27. It happened to me 2 months in a row. That's $54 down the drain with nothing to show for it. I closed this account right away. I feel lucky compared to the hundreds of other horror stories I sat and read from other consumers. How long can these scam artists be allowed to prey on consumers trying to build their credit? Stay away from this company and spread the word.

This bank is a total rip-off... I try to make payments to them online and their system will not accept them. Obviously they do this so they can add a late fee to your account. Paying by phone gets even better... It's a $9 fee just to talk to a customer service rep, even if you're paying from your checking account. I sincerely believe that Comenity Bank's practices should be investigated.

To Whom It May Concern: While shopping at Overstock.com, during my check-out I was advised I had been pre-approved would I like to accept the offer, I subsequently did. The same scenario occurred with J. Crew, Sportsmans Guide, and Express. I never authorized or gave permission to have my credit file accessed with a hard pull, I never provided my entire social security number. After receiving a denial letter for the Express account which indicated first party fraud, I called in on 12/13/16 and spoke with a Jonathan who was completely oblivious and said he'd never heard of anything like that before o_O, thus I requested his supervisor, she then gets on the phone and calls me Eric confused as that is not my name and I had just previously spoken to someone I wasn't sure why she would randomly call me that!

Diane told me I would need to wait 30 days for the Express account, due to the number of inquiries, however my other accounts that were recently opened were just fine. Fast-forward to 12/21 I attempted to activate my Sportsmans Guide I had just received in the mail, it was not activated, I was told it was reviewed and closed due to number of recent inquiries on 12/16/16, I was told by Mary, my J. Crew and Overstock were not affected. I called into the executive office to see about reinstating my accounts, I have a FICO of 754, it defeats the purpose of pre-approving someone only to close an account a week later.

This does damage to AAoA, Inquiries, etc. and is an egregious archaic form of banking lacking in sufficient logic. I find this behavior to be very misleading, unfair, and deceptive not to mention when you call for clarification you receive ambiguous responses. Every time I have made contact with them whether initiated or received, they ALWAYS address me by a DIFFERENT name! Today I was JASON! As someone with anxiety and bipolar, this type of verification is stupid, here you have me giving you my account number but you call me by a different name. What type of dumb ish is that. You don't JASON from J.

I was told the department doesn't take calls but an e-mail will be sent over to see about reinstating my accounts. This information should not be reported on my credit bureau reports, or marked closed by credit grantor, I want all activity (any inquiries and accounts) from Comenity bank DELETED and ERASED from all my credit reports for obvious reasons. I want to return all merchandise I bought from each company and refrain from doing future business with them or this horrible bank.

There is a serious flaw in their business module and it needs to be adjusted, it is giving them a bad name with potential business and affecting the business accounts they serve. Bottom line, people don't want to do business with a company who has such irregular behavior. It is not fair to have my credit reports affected for years to come because of their incompetent banking policies. Deceptively opening the accounts with bait-and-switch only to have adverse actions affect these reports into the future that we have been working so hard to solidify is absolutely INFURIATING!! Chutzpah! They clearly lack ethics in terms of honoring fair lending practices.

Approving an account for a week only to create a negative impact on the CRBs for years to come is Unfair Trade Practices against consumers; an initial denial would have been one thing but to create a long term blemish is despicable! Just downright nasty and unbecoming; corporate mentality: short term bottom line. When management has no coherent vision to improve services & the bottom line, they'll try any scheme without regard to effectiveness or casualties.

Responsible lenders will treat responsible customers responsibly. All CC companies can suspend your spending privileges without shutting down your account, or reporting your credit limit at zero! What they have done is just filthy, "freeze" the cards to mitigate risk, send a notice to the customers that their accounts are frozen and will be shut down in the future, and other niceties. This would give folks a fair chance to pay off the card before it reports with a $0 CL and "Over the Limit" if they have a balance. Very PETTY! They need to fix their software. If they don't want me as a customer quit pre approving me for cards!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

I called 12/16/16, to get a one-time courtesy late fee removed. I've never been late on any of my payments, and yet this credit card did not remove the late payment, despite me making a payment for $100, which was over the minimum payment required. I also requested to have the payment due date changed, and they stated that they could not change it. Never have I had a credit card like this one, that doesn't try to negotiate with the customer. Comenity Bank, will be losing a valuable customer as a result.

I wish I could rate them 0 stars. What kind of a company only accepts debit cards and not credit cards? I understand to an extent about it, but if it goes through and they get their money then what is the big deal?? I think that the "policy" is absolutely stupid to not accept any credit cards... Once paid off I will never use again.

I have one account open with them. All of a sudden I'm getting bills from other places that I didn't apply for and bills on top of that. I have paid off the card that I had but somehow my payment have gotten sent back putting my bank account with extra fees. Not cool... Not to mention the harassing voicemail of I better have a lawyer when I contact them. As far as I'm concerned I paid them off and they sent my payment back. Now my credit score is very low because of them. Again not cool. Nowhere on the internet is there a number for the company customer service... But I have canceled the one card I had which also caused my drop on my credit score. So very upset I ever wanted a credit card with them.

I recently applied for and was approved for a Sportsman's Guide Visa card with a $1500 limit. I received the card in the mail, activated it, set up all the profile information etc. Two days later I took my wife to dinner and the card was declined. I called and said the account was closed one day PRIOR to activating my new card. Needless to say, I was not a happy customer. I have read horrible reviews about this company but have 3 other accounts with them and have a perfect payment record with them, so I wasn't even concerned about any problems with my new card. I was told that I couldn't be given a reason over the phone, but would receive a letter from them explaining why. That was 10 days ago and when I log in it still shows my account as active. And still no letter explaining why.

I am likely going to close all of my accounts with this second rate organization - how can an account be closed and yet when calling in to activate the card it's looks good. Not to mention being a bit embarrassed and very pissed off about the declined charges. But I always carry a little extra cash and have other reputable credit cards that I carry, so I wasn't stuck in any way. There are many other reputable banks out there to deal with for all credit ratings - do yourself a favor - stay away from them. I always recommended them to people rebuilding their credit or just needed a secondary card for a $1000 to $2000 limit for emergencies - never again. I considered myself a very good customer - now I will consider myself a very good former customer - good riddance to bad service and second rate organization.

I have a Williams-Sonoma card that used to be with Barclay and switched or was bought out by Comenity. I didn't know until I went to make my payment. I finally called the 800 number on the back of my card and the lady was very helpful. She informed of the switch and gave me directions on how to create an account with Comenity so I could pay my bill online (which is how I pay most of my bills these days). That is where the problem occurs. It is damn near impossible to even get on to the Comenity website. I tried from my home computer, phone, work computer... all to no avail. I finally had to call the number on the back of my card again (as this was the only way I could get a hold of anyone) and once again the lady was nice and helpful and let me make a payment over the phone with her. I have never come across a company that made it so difficult to make a payment! At this point, I will be paying this card off as soon as possible and closing the account.

If I could give Comenity zero stars I would. I had to go out of town for a week, and I forgot to pay my Comenity credit card bill before leaving town. This caused me to be late paying my bill because I did not have the card with me so I had to wait until returning home before I could make the payment as I had not yet set up an online account with them. These people were calling me at least 10 times per day. Their behavior borders on harassment. I am definitely canceling my card with them, and I will no longer be doing business with the store with whom I have the card (Stage). My advice is to avoid doing business with this company at all costs.

This was my first time dealing with Comenity Capital Bank of Columbus, Ohio. I applied for Boscov's credit card but I was told they could not verify my credit report at Experian because it was locked. Comenity said I should apply again after I unlock my credit information. I contacted Experian and they told me it was not locked. I was able to get my free credit report. I requested Experian to unlock it for two weeks period so Comenity Capital Bank as a vendor could have access to it. I wrote to Comenity about my action.

Few days later I got a letter from Comenity that said, "Our records show that we received more than one application from you within 30 days timeframe. Unfortunately, we do not process any additional application received within 30 days of a previous application. At the time of your previous application, we sent you a letter notifying you of our decision. We appreciate your business and encourage you to reapply for a Boscov's credit card account in the future allowing at least 30 days from the date of this letter."

After reviewing previous complaints about this bank at Consumer Reports, I have decided not to apply for Boscov's credit card from them. I can always use cash at the store or use another bank credit card if they accepts it. I don't need the headache. I think Comenity Capital Bank does not approve people who are retirees and not working. If it falls into some form of discrimination, I don't know.

I have a card through Victoria's Secret and I had to switch jobs. I don't get paid enough to make on time payments once a month so, I've been missing payments. Comenity continues to call me on a daily basis, 10x a day some days and I do not answer because I have things around the house and family matters to attend to. When I do answer and talk to them and explain "I'm not sure when I can make a payment", they refer to it as "refusal to pay" which I find absolutely ridiculous! How am I refusing to pay when I explain my situation as to why I cannot make a payment today or within the next week? I am not refusing anything, I am just unable to. I'm going to be saving up the little bit of money I do have to pay this off so that I can close my account with VS because I'm sick of the collection calls and sick of being told I'm refusing to pay. I don't think that anybody should have to deal with things of this nature when they are experiencing hardships.

I received a letter from Comenity Capital Bank advising they had put a "hold" on my credit card. They indicated I had made a purchase at Forever 21. I called them as soon as I received the letter to advise them I had never applied for a credit card with them. They sent me a Fraud form about a week later and we filled it out and mailed it in. About a week later I received a bill from Forever 21 with a $27 late payment penalty so I called them again and they apologized and told me to discard the bill.

My sister was visiting us from Indiana and she saw the letter from Comenity Capital Bank and she got a bill from them just before she came to visit us in Arkansas. She also called to advise them she had never applied for a credit card with them. She was married so her last name is not the same as mine. I plan to contact Forever 21, but looks like I will have to do it by mail because I went online and could not find a customer service number to contact them. This looks like a major case of fraud over a wide area.

The Comenity Bank is committing fraud by deliberately not processing payments until after the payment is due. I mailed my November 11, 2016 on October 20, 2016. I called customer service today and the operator stated that my payment has yet to be received. This is the third time. Fraud. I am cancelling all of my Comenity accounts today and reporting my concerns to the Better Business Bureau and the attorney general.

They are stealing from consumers. As to not bore anyone reading this, I signed up for their card for the 0% offer on Wayfair. I got my first statement and immediately signed up for online payments (they do not allow for automatic payments...convenient) and never missed a payment. Until October, when I did miss a payment (I was traveling) and realized I had been charged interest since inception. I immediately paid off the card in full and asked why I'd been charged interest. They said Wayfair must have not sent them the fact that I was supposed to receive 0%. And now, it's past the 90 days that is in the fine print that you actually have to dispute something like this so there's nothing they can do. Watch yourself when signing up for any store credit cards that are not backed by the store itself!

I have a second job. Like MOST jobs today, your check can go directly on a debit card. Guess what, without a routing number. I'm supposed to pay CB an additional $9 just for using my PAY CARD to make a payment on time. They charge late fees of $37 - $10 more than the monthly payment. THEY do blind phone calls, so when you answer, there's no one there. You hang up but they have a record they called you. This so-called bank is in business for the late fees. They have made over 5 times more money off me on fees, over interest. No auto payment arrangements, $9 fee to pay with a DEBIT card! Contrast. My Discover allows auto pay, has real customer SERVICE. I love Discover. I will pay off my HSN and Catherine's cards and buy stuff off Amazon with my Discover or debit card.

I noticed two charges on my PB account. I kept wondering why I wasn't able to pay my balance down and now I know why. I was charged 838.00 for a revolving promotional?? And then another 300.00 in Finance charges. I already pay 47.00 per month in finance charges. Beware of Comenity Bank and their endless fees. This bank should definitely be investigated for consumer fraud. I have sent PB a request to remove these fees so we will see.

I bought a present for my wife in Henri Bendel, NYC. They extended to me an Bendel credit card, administered by Comenity Bank. I paid the balance of $168.88 on time. I dialed your number and was communicated with a cumbersome system. I was asked to enter my bank account number and routing number. A few days later I dialed again and the system communicated that my balance was now zero. I then received a very aggressive letter saying that my payment had been rejected because my bank had returned the request for payment. Puzzled, I called my bank. The bank told me that no request for payment had ever been received. I called your phone line again and requested to talk with an agent. Said agent was totally inarticulate and kept repeating that I was in default because my bank had rejected the request for payment.

Every time that I said to her that no request ever reached the bank, your agent kept saying that the payment had been rejected or returned by my bank. According to her, I could pay the balance through her and pay a penalty of $9 for doing it through her. Despairing to be able to have a civilized conversation, I accepted. She said that I could do it with a VISA card, which I proceeded to do. She said that my card had been rejected also. Now this was getting scary. With my credit rating around 800 in my mind’s eye I saw it slipping away because I was becoming indebted to a shady company. I then discovered that she meant VISA debit, not credit card and she now told me that credit cards were not accepted. I finally gave my bank coordinates (the same I had entered before but somehow not accepted by Comenity) to this nincompoop and I ended up paying $177.88 instead of $168.88.

Today I received another threatening letter from you requesting a payment of $168.99, a week after I paid to your agent and 3 days it was posted in my bank. Please find enclosed my cut-in-half Henri Bendel card that you administer. I do not appreciate, or need, your harassment. Besides, you already skimmed $9 from me, and that was your plan all along. Wasn’t it? We all learn lessons through life. Some are hard to swallow, particularly when you deal with crooks.

I am disgusted with the fees this bank charges and to make it worst the customer service reps are more like bill collectors - nasty attitudes. I pay all my bills through bill pay. All my bills are paid way before the due dates. This bank has been posting my payments which are deducted from my bank 2 days prior to due date and Comenity is deliberately posting the payment 1 day after and charging my account $30. They are despicable.

I recently received a credit card through BJ's which uses Comenity Bank. The card was working great with no issues until today. I use my credit cards instead of my debit card for all transactions so that I can take advantage of the maximum bonus. To keep my credit card utilization rate low and not affect my credit score, I will typically pay the credit card as I use it, sometimes making the payment in the same day as the transaction, but usually no more than 2-3 days after the transaction is made. I do this with multiple credit cards, and have never run into any issues.

Today I went to use my BJ's credit card and it was declined. I knew it had nothing to do the with limit as I was nowhere close to reaching the max. So I called to find out thinking that maybe there was some sort of fraud thing or perhaps the merchant code was giving an issue. I was told that because I had multiple payments pending, they temporarily froze my account. No one could give me a logical answer as to why this would happen and what sense this makes to freeze someone's account because they make payments. I kept getting told it was policy and there was nothing that they could do. I insisted that there had to be a way to lift this freeze and that this was the most absurd thing I have ever heard off. I asked for a supervisor and again was told the same thing. There is nothing they can do. It is policy, that having multiple "pending" payments it will freeze my account.

The girl representative then stated in a snotty way, that I am making these payments prior to the statement closing, making it seem like I was doing something wrong. My response was pretty clear with a so what, I have that right to make payments and again use multiple cards in the same way and have never run into this issue. I again insisted and pleaded that they lift the freeze and allow my transaction to go through, as I was attempting to purchase oil not only for myself but for my tenants, and it was a time sensitive matter. She continued to say she "understood" but it is policy and there is nothing she or anyone could do.

Insisting and in my experience there is always something that can be done or someone that can do something, I asked to speak to another supervisor. A gentleman with Operations, came on the phone, and was to say the least not very pleasant. He too insisting that nothing can be done. I expressed that this is an obvious flaw in their system and the most absurd thing I have ever experienced. He then had the nerve to tell me to use one of my other cards, since there is nothing they can do.

I also learned that the multiple payments that I have made and have come out of my account, although it reflects as posted on my end, I was informed that all my payments were "pending" and they have not posted anything to my account on their end. When I asked "why would you accept my money, which is clearly out of my checking account, but not apply it to my credit card account." I was not given an answer and again was told "I'm sorry but there is nothing we can do".

I now lost the points/revenue that I would have generated from making this purchase with this particular credit card and fear that even if the freeze is lifted within the "24 hour timeframe" they gave me, that I will run into this problem again, especially with the holidays coming up, as I will not change the way I use my credit card. Overall, their customer service is terrible. If I could give negative stars I would give negative 5. They do not deserve a single star.

I have 4 store cards with them--Overstock, Woman Within, Lane Bryant and Gordmans. For the most part I like being able to shop at these stores. After trying to work with them to get them to change my due dates on the cards I started picking up on stories I was being told. They tried to tell me that one of the cards determined my due date by my zip code. Another told me the store demanded my due date be set to that. And as I've kept pushing about them changing my due date on the card they keep telling more and more lies... Now that it's become very obvious I am being lied to I have told them I will probably start closing these accounts as they get paid off. I have gotten a line of credit increase and 2 out of the 4 accounts have allowed for my due dates to be changed but they say there is nothing they can do for the other two. Hmmm. They told me the same thing about all of them a month ago!

Hello everyone. I have never made a review on a company much less on a review board, but I really want to share my experience with this company. They are completely a scam and do very shady business. About 1 month ago, I went school shopping with my daughter and every store we went into, they offered the 15% discount if you open a card today. So, I opened about 5 accounts throughout the day from different stores, PINK, NEW YORK and COMPANY, TALBOTS, Dress Barn and then they sent me a Mastercard from Gander. So of course to get the discount for opening a card, I used the cards that day. I just received my first bill from each one last week with a minimum payment of $27 due by October 8.

Last week, I received letters from all of the cards stating that I needed to send in a copy of my driver's license, a copy of my social security card, and a copy of my current utility bill to verify my identity. I did. I called just now and they have closed all of my accounts because they said they could not verify my utility bill (which has all of the same information as my DL and SS and applications). They informed me that they have closed all of my accounts and that I will need to reapply. I said, "Absolutely not. Your company is a scam and I should have listened to the reviews I saw online." I will be paying off all of my accounts, BUT please, do not get involved with this company. They are not legit. Now I am terrified that I have sent a copy of my social security card and DL and now they could do anything with that. I think I am going to seek legal counsel.

This is about the Victoria's Secret Angel card. Been a cardholder for almost 2 years and never had billing problem, but then suddenly this summer bills just didn't get delivered. They claim mail is being returned to them as undeliverable and repeatedly ask to update my address. My address is correct so I don't know what to do and I don't know where or who they are sending my mail too. They asked why don't I sign up for paperless billing, I did and even then their notifications were not reliable which is why I switched back to paper. Victoria's Secret won't even help, have not received bills, free birthday gift offer, rewards, nothing. All Victoria's Secret tells you is you have to call Comenity.

I had opened a Comenity Total Rewards Visa, only to have them after two months close it. Keep in mind all payments were on time and paid in full. I received a letter saying excessive inquiries and this too is incorrect. I had applied to a card to transfer a balance at zero percent and that prompted this action. Stay away from them at all cost. This bank's business practices are very poor and even the reps say they see this a lot and don't agree with this action either.

THE WORST CREDIT CARD COMPANY I'VE EVER DEALT WITH. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS AWFUL. I wish I NEVER would have opened an account with these people! I have never used them before and was buying a lot of furniture for our new home with Wayfair and thought it would be ok since I was getting 0% interest. I am a responsible customer who cares about credit and making sure payments are made on time. But comenity does not want you to keep the 0% and hope customers "Mess up" so they can charge a huge interest fee and make their money. It took them forever to even send me my card but said I can start using immediately (convenient).

As soon as I received the card, I setup a payment 2 weeks early to draft to make sure there were no issues. But I must have mixed up a number on my bank account # (my error) because I received a letter NOT AN EMAIL (WHICH I STATED I WANTED MY CORRESPONDENCE THROUGH) and of course took 2 weeks to get to me.

As soon as I realized there was a problem I immediately made a payment on the 20th (my actual payment due date) BUT it took Comenity 2 days to post my payment which made it LATE OF COURSE by 2 days. So now they are charging me a huge interest and refuse to reconsider even though they see it is a complete innocent error and I was trying to pay ahead of schedule. I have written them 4x and they are like robots who say the same thing and do not actually look into the situation. I called and discussed with a representative for 45 minutes who actually sounded like she was going to try to help and get it reversed but then we were disconnected. I tried calling back for an hour and their PHONES WERE DOWN?! The entire company was unreachable. I am just going to pay this card off and NEVER use them again. Do not waste your time! Its a gimmick.

HSN has their payment departments fragmented and hard to follow if you get behind because you lost your job. Comenity Bank is in "charge" of HSN credit card - not account. In getting a new position and explaining and trying to get a decent settlement price instead of the outrageous amount of monies they wanted, I had to be belittled by a jackass agent who collected my information and with attitude gave and I accepted a settlement. One payment the day of the arrangement and one payment 10 days later. So today (10 days later), I'm using the exact phone number given to me to call and make this payment and get an agent who knows nothing about the settlement and asks me for the full amount. OMG. Then when I start to explain to her the issue, she transfers me without telling me.

So now in a different department, already upset I get another agent with an attitude. And guess what Comenity, you don't get to tell someone how to behave as long as they are not yelling or cussing your sorry snotty asses. You don't get to interrupt me and you don't get to say "that's what I say." I warned you about your ** attitude and turned a true customer service dialogue back at you. You spent more time telling me how you were going to answer my questions vs answering them. You wanted to argue or comment on every little thing and guess what MY TIME is way too valuable for you to hear yourself stroke yourself. I had no idea originally that Comenity backed HSN or I would never have agreed to even have an account. HSN in bed with snakes. PS Yes, I enjoyed taking this time to write this review.

Avoid any vendor that has their credit card through them. I opened a credit account with Overstock.com. This bank refused to provide me with my account information however they emailed me a statement 2 DAYS after I opened the account. BUT without an account number I cannot access my statement to set up payments and without accessing my statement I cannot find out my account number. And of course if the payment is delayed they will attack my credit and try to damage it. This so called "Bank" is a big scammer. Any victims of their horrific business practices should start suing them. I know I am.

Simply B approved me for an account through Comenity bank. Worst mistake of my life!!! I only ordered two pair of shoes. My total price was only $30+. I pay all my bills online. I kept calling the automated voice feature and I keyed my information in as it prompt me to do so. Of course trying to find out how much is my balance it stated "no payment is due at this time" which was false!! I paid a total of $58 on the 6th of August because of late fees... Keep in mind this is supposed to be my payoff balance... But oh no!!! September is here. My balance is now $88.98!!!

As of today Wednesday, September 14, 2016, I have paid Comenity bank off and out!!! I have never been taken advantage of like Comenity bank has just simply robbed me!!! Never again will I ever apply for credit with these thieves!!! I'M trying to build my credit not destroy it. The nerve of this ** bank!!! Comenity bank owes a lot of customers $$$$ back big time!!! Late fees for what then your automated system is an automated liar!!! For future reference, do not apply with Comenity bank. Save your self money, time & drama!!!

I have called Comenity Bank, HSN and I keep getting sent back and forth and back and forth and I am already disgusted on how I can resolved this problem. Maybe I should just sue HSN-Comenity Bank for burning my hands like I said regarding this horrible Curtis Stone Cookware they are selling that burns your hands when you touch the lids and handles. No other cookware in this world does that except this!

I have asked for a credit and told Comenity I am returning it and they still kept charging me non-stop financing charges. I already complained to HSN and asked them to take this cookware back and they referred me to the owner and back to HSN and back to the owner from Hong Kong - Jon Silverman who apparently was not even Curtis Stone? I want my $214.45 + the payments I made which totaled to $192.38 including financing charges and late fees. Why should I not get them all back? Then let me pay for the other items I purchased separately and pay for them as if I purchased them without this stupid cookware! Plus pay financing charges for them not with this cookware! Which may be a total of $100.00 only!

Comenity Company Profile