Comenity

Compare Credit Card Companies

Research top Credit Card Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

BEWARE! - DO NOT OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH COMENITY BANK UNLESS YOU WANT TO GET SCREWED! I opened a Pottery Barn and a Pier One account when I purchased a new home because of the discounts and points offered by the stores. For a while, I was o.k. with their service except for the length of time it would take payments to post.

Without my knowledge or consent, or any notice whatsoever from Comenity, more than one new account was opened in my name. These accounts had credit limits well above all of my existing accounts except for one with another financial institution. They were linked to emails and phone numbers that I have never heard of and I did not receive anything from Comenity until these accounts had tens of thousands of dollars of charges and months of late fees accrued. I filled out all of their paperwork and they say there "is no evidence of fraud". This is because the fraud is being perpetrated by them. I also made the mistake of giving them my actual phone number when I filed the complaint and am now being harassed by them. I repeat - BEWARE! DO NOT OPEN ANY ACCOUNTS WITH COMENITY BANK!

Spent over an hour on the phone talking to six different reps, being transferred, and once being disconnected. Reps really don't listen to problem and basically give you a canned response. The last one, Lacey, told me she didn't have a supervisor and she was as high as I could go in the organization! Sending a complaint letter on her actions (and hope they pull the tape of the conversation and fire her smart mouth!).

I've had my Overstock credit card account for some years, and for the first time, I fell behind a whole week with my payment; a representative called me today (9/11/17), and at that time, I promptly paid my past due balance. I then went online to look at my account, and I realized that Comenity Capital Bank lowered my credit line by $1000!! Because I was a week late?

I called back and a representative confirmed that was the reason for the lowered credit line. So, because I was a week late, they decided to lower my credit line, which will negatively impact my credit score. Normal credit cards won't even think about touching your credit limit or credit score unless you're a month or more late. I told the lady to close the account, because it's obvious that this company doesn't care about its customers. Never again.

I have very bad experience with this bank back on 10/15/2016. I was at Gander Mountain store. On checkout the cashier mentioned if I open a credit card they will give me $20 discount, after I open one I asked the cashier if I can pay the balance with the gift card. He said yes so I paid the full balance of $31.04 at the store. Since that I kept receive statement from this bank. I open at least 4 dispute and send them a copy of my receipt with no luck. I kept calling and asked them "am I getting late fee?" They said not during dispute. They were lie to me. After several months they reported me to credit and I had to pay $168 for the purchases which I already paid. Beware.

I think these idiots primarily make their money on late fees. I recently moved to a new city and in the chaos of the move didn't see my paperless statements. They probably were in my junk mail folder but I was so busy the deadline passed me by. The charges were very low - under 20 bucks and they tacked on around an $18 late fee (which wasn't even that late). I called to try to get the fee forgiven and possibly close my card at that time but they would not outright waive the fee like most banks will do when you explain your situation. It's not like I didn't have the funds to pay - it's just that life happens!

I was ready to close the card on that date but they offered some kind of credit to my account amounting to the late fee of around $18 something. I initially thought I could use that towards LOFT purchases at the very least. I didn't receive any notification of this via email so I called back to inquire and was told that my credit limit had been expanded to around $9,018 something instead of $9000. Wow thanks!!! As if I was going to go spend 9 thousand something dollars on purchases period. No fee forgiven at all. What a joke.

The second time I called back to close my card I told the new agent that I was utterly done with this card and Comenity. She finally agreed to close it but said that she hoped I would consider a card with Comenity in the future. Haha right. I said absolutely not and that I would do whatever I could do badmouth the company and its greedy practices. In addition they do not offer automatic payment set-up and I believe this is because they figure they can make money on late fees. People are much busier and more on the go now and any payment situation not offering automatic payments is simply a no-go.

In addition, their phone based payment system is an utter joke and very difficult to navigate. I will be sticking with my bank associated card only now. These so called deals offered with these business associated credit cards simply are not worth it. Comenity is clearly the worst of the worst and I hope to see them go down for their greediness.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

I recently paid off my accounts that had been financed through Comenity Bank. The Credit Cards were for Romans, Jessica London, and Woman Within. When I mailed the payments and request to close each account. The checks arrived a few days after the scheduled due date, however, I always paid my bill on time prior to closing the accounts. I had to wait on the telephone for at least 45 minutes just to be told they could not waive fees due to the accounts being closed. I asked if fees could be waived since the sole purpose was to have accounts close in good standing. The customer service rep I spoke to thanked me for being a loyal customer, but, stated there was nothing they could do because my accounts were now closed.

I explained that I had a similar issue with other accounts having a late fee assessed but I had no problem having the late fees waived. They were unwilling to resolve this situation for me. I'm appalled that after spending so much money with this credit card company, that the thanks I received for being a loyal customer since 2012 was to assed fees when it was clear that I was asking to resolve situation favorably.

I have automatic payment set up for my card. I logged in 2 days before scheduled payment to verify my bank account credentials are up to date on the website. I get a confirmation email saying payment has been made. So of course I'm under the impression that my payment went through. 10 days after the due date, I get a call from Comenity saying that my payment is overdue. So I log back into the website to make another payment. I get another confirmation email saying that the payment has been received. I check my bank account daily to see if it's ever taken out. It hasn't.

I called customer service and the lady that I spoke with tells me that no payment has been received for the current month and that the next payment is in September. I told her that I have confirmation emails saying payment has been made for the current month and she argues with me that I went in the system and changed it to have both payments taken out in September. That's a lie because I have 2 confirmation emails saying payment has been made for the current month. I have now scheduled a payment for the THIRD time to get this issue resolved. What's the purpose of having automatic payments set up if they're not even going to take out the money on the day that they're supposed to? Now it appears that I may be getting a late fee due to their negligence.

I placed several small and "LARGE" orders online at Nordstrom and one order was declined from Comenity. I called them and was transferred to the Security/Fraud department. The CSR said that I had placed several orders small and mostly "Large" orders, and basically she didn't like it. She then disrespectfully put me on hold, and I got another call so I hung up thinking she would take care of the issue. BOY WAS I WRONG! I tried using the Comenity LOVE LOFT MasterCard again, and it was declined. I called Comenity and the guy that I talked to asked me security questions, and he was not satisfied my answers (and I told him that I couldn't answer his questions because he said, "This is time sensitive" and basically hurry up with your answers, and it made me so nervous that I couldn't even think!) so he forcefully closed my account without my consent.

SERIOUSLY, how can he close my account that is in "good standing" without my consent? In the course of our conversation, he said, "You know we report everything to the Credit Bureau." Was that a threat? Comenity Bank closed my account so they could lower my credit score. Last time I checked my credit score was good, and now I have to check it (which will lower my score again) just to see what Comenity Bank did!!! How do they get away with all of this? I don't get it? OH, this was NOT a Security/Fraud issue! It was much more than THAT!

Now I realized that it is all mistake. I should've read the reviews first... When set up the online account there is no option for auto pay?! Combined with the paperless statements there is no way to find out when your bill is due unless you check your account daily. This is made purposely for the solely reason to forget to pay your bill and charge you ridiculous late fee for it. For a purchase of $17.00 I ended up paying $64... For one missed payment my FICO score dropped from 800 to 720... On top of everything they called me at home and asked me if I can afford to pay the bill?!

I have 19 credit card accounts, all of them are set up on auto pay and never had a missed payment in my life. I have closed immediately this account and would advise everyone else to do so to avoid the sequences of doing business with so called Comenity "bank". I even don't how the law allow them to operate legally after so many complaints.

I paid above my balance every month on time for 1.5 years. Then wham, I get an email at the end of month saying my payment at the beginning was returned and I had all these return fees and such. 2 months later, going thru the hassle of sending in my bank statement, sending in a letter head from the bank, numerous call to fix the problem on their end. I still get told they don't have sufficient proof that it wasn't returned. WHAT?

The bank account statement shows it wasn't, the letterhead from the bank shows it wasn't, what else can they possibly need as proof. Then to top it off, they change the billing and give you an email a week after saying you're late and we charged you and now it's on your credit you're late. After being a faithful creditors for so long. DO NOT USE THIS CREDIT CARD OR PAY IT OFF AND RUN.

I just got off the phone with them at Comenity "Total Rewards". I pay my statement in full every month. Starting now you are paying a interest fee from any charges you have between Due Date and the Statement Date. My due date is the 5th, my statement date is the 11th, so unless I call or go online and find any charges I did between the 2 dates I will pay interest unless I add them to my balance and pay it right away. So to make it simple "Don't Charge" anything in that 6 day window. Maybe they should pay me interest for paying it early!!!!

I just being late payment for 2 days and the bill was 26.33. They send me another bill. Ask me to pay 27.33, what a ripoff. How you people ask me to pay more than double of my bill when I am late payment for 2 days. If there were an interest charge I would understand. This bank is robbery. I would never use Victoria Secret Comenity Bank again or for any other card related to Comenity Bank.

Here is my story about Comenity Bank.BrylaneHome!!!! I've been a long standing customer with Comenity Bank for well over 5 years, maybe longer. Eight different store accounts and all in EXCELLENT standing. I pay my balance in full within one to two cycles. Last month I received 8 different letters stating my accounts have been closed due to "continued security concerns"... and to contact account protection team if I have any questions.

Prior to the 8 notices via the mail for the 8 different credit accounts I received NO information about any issues with my cards/accounts. Can they just arbitrarily close 8 accounts (in excellent standing-never late and literally all at a zero balance when they closed them) simultaneously with no explanation whatsoever? I called and spoke with a very nice representative that checked each account one by one. She was shocked when she had no explanation as to why my accounts were closed. She informed me that all accounts look fine. Transaction history was excellent. She even tried another department but they too were clueless. She said the accounts should have been noted with explanation as to why and I should write and complain. She also said it's nothing that can be done as the accounts are closed already. She was baffled. I had a single new account that was about 90 days old and they closed that as well.

All of the accounts were in excellent standing for 5plus years and now my credit score and financial credit worthiness will drop due to no fault of mine. I kept my balance low or zero to maintain a good credit score as everyone knows how difficult it is to achieve good scores and how easy it is for a score to drop. I don't understand how banks can put so much emphasis on credit worthiness (pay on time, etc to maintain a healthy credit score) then turn around and cause a customer in excellent standing negative ratings. It's not fair! Can I legally ask Comenity Bank for written explanation of the so called "continued security concerns" that caused my accounts to be closed without ANY notice, then that Bank directly negatively affected my credit worthiness/score thus my financial situation?

I hope I've explained myself clearly. This situation is bothersome because I work hard to maintain a decent credit worthiness score with a decent number of open accounts and this bank closed 8 for absolutely no reason and when creditors see banks closing accounts they begin to question why. My employment depends on great credit profile and this bank should be held to a reasonable standard of transparency for its customers. I deserve to know what happened with my accounts.

Never, ever sign for a Credit Card with these thieves. If you ever shop and Pier 1 Imports and they offer this Credit card say NO. I only signed up to take a promo 30% off. The first bill came when I was on Vacation so I paid the balance in full only one day late. They charged me a $29 late fee. Called them and they promised to waive the fee: they never did! Next month I got the balance of the late fee plus interest. I paid it again in full but the month after a new bill came with a $2.00 Minimum Charge which they try to explain to me but I can't understand. If I paid the balance in full before the due date: how do I owe them anything? Stay away. These guys are THIEVES!

I had been made aware of a new policy of simple interest credit cards not 30 day statement. This is a way for Comenity bank to make billions of dollars off the people that pay their bills off every statement period. Another policy is any online foreign transactions would also have a charge. No notification when processing nor is there a 1 time forgiveness policy. Due to these policies I check all my cards for this bank and cancelled. I pride myself on outstanding credit but will risk it to rid myself of greed.

Comenity has recently instituted a policy of requiring more of a payment to avoid finance/interest charges than the statement balance. I paid my last bill in full, a day early, and was hit with a $50.73 finance charge. The woman in customer service explained that I needed to pay the "trailing charges" to avoid a finance charge. Apparently, these are charges that didn't appear on the statement but need to be researched online in order to avoid the finance charge. Is this legal? Also, if the due date is a Sunday, they will assess finance charges (another $50.73) if payment isn't received until Monday. Every other credit card I have had accepts a Monday payment as on time. Love Virgin America - this is the wrong bank for them to be affiliated with.

Got a loan with them from Aspen Dental. Gave me a what they called a Promotion plan. But what happens is they won't let you pay it off early. I have been trying for 2 months and even though I have no balance they sent me a statement for $2.00 and stating that remaining balance will be assessed interest at the standard purchase APR. If I don't pay the $2.00 I will be charged interest from time loan begin original loan amount. This has to be against the Law. How can you charge someone a monthly fee when their balance is 0? I know $2 isn't much which I have sent to them. But this is not right. This bank sucks.

My minimum charge payment has ALWAYS been $27. I have paid it on time religiously and in person at the Avenue store every month. I paid my June payment even before I received my statement due to the fact that it was later than usual in receiving it in the mail. After paying my June payment my bill had a total balance left on my credit card before pay off at approximately $12. When I received my July statement I had found they upped the minimum payment to $28 instead of the usual $27. Because I paid the usual minimum payment of $27 for June there was a late fee of $28 charged to my July statement. I called and tried to talk to them as to why I only paid the $27 but to no avail. My July statement was for $40.38 which once again I went directly to Avenue and paid off the entire balance. I just got another bill now and they are asking $1 for a fee. Are they serious?? Like everyone else has said, STAY AWAY FROM COMENITY BANK!!! Blood suckers!

When I wrote a letter to ask for closure of my account with the bank, they didnt close it. They suspended my credit card instead of closing it. They did it without my permission. And they claimed that I petitioned for bankruptcy. I didnt petition. They lied. I talked to my lawyer. He investigated it and he said that I didnt petition. And I am so mad with the bank. They must pay off the balance because they did illegally without my permission and my knowledge.

Heads up on Comenity Bank Card. My wife opened one at the Loft clothing store to get an additional discount on her purchase. We had the Comenity card set up to be paid automatically thru our checking account. Due to some billing issue, the payment of $60 was late by one billing cycle. We went ahead and paid it thinking it was done. Comenity turned us over to a collection agency and reported us to the credit bureau which lowered our score. We didn't even know it was on there until we refinanced our home. So we closed the account and cut up the card. They confirmed it was closed on 8/1/16.

Today we received another invoice for $24.40 that shows to be past due. We get on the phone with Comenity and they tell us there was a $2.40 balance left on the card from last August and the rest was late fees. Now they have turned us over to the credit bureau again. The nice lady on the phone (third one we spoke to) credits the full balance and is supposed to email us stating this should not have shown up as a delinquent invoice. Here's the PROBLEM... This will affect our credit rating even though we have an email that says they screwed up!!

Comenity bank is a total rip off. I've paid my bills on time and still get late fees. I have paid well before my due date and they wait to process payments after the due date. Customer service is very rude. I have contacted the Better Business Bureau, and of course, no reply. Mail does not take more than 12 days.

If I could give this business 0 stars I would. Every single time I talk to someone they are rude and unhelpful. I was charged $29 TWICE and called them to tell them they messed up and a guy started yelling at me! Who trains these ignorant people? I will never ever go through Comenity again. The angel card is NOT I repeat NOT worth it!

Predatory and shady business tactics. In May 2015 I opened an account with El Dorado Furniture in South Florida which offers financing with Comenity Bank to buy a $5,000 sectional couch. The account was 24 months no interest, etc. I have a 694 credit score so had no issue opening the account and had no issue making payments on it every month. Every month I would receive an email invoice. Normally their emails would include “Your account summary” …with available credit, minimum due, and the current balance. So I always knew how much I owed total.

Every month I sent them $200-500 range, having calculated my payment amounts to take advantage of the financing which would be the final month of May 2017. Around April 2017, I made a payment that took my account balance to under $100. On the last month that would have paid off my account within the 24 month no interest… I did not get the typical email that included all my normal information of “available credit, minimum due, and the current balance.”

Instead They sent me an email saying your Next Payment is due on 5/4/2017 of $38… with no other information. When you clicked on it to go pay for it... it took me a different page than normal where it asked me to submit $38 payment and click submit… So I made the $38 payment under the impression that this zero’d out my account and the amount was finished. I spent the whole month of June 2017 traveling for business overseas. Then two months go by… and I get a phone call from them saying I owed them $1,130.35.

Apparently what happened is that I owed $90… and I paid $38… which left a balance of $52... which was “late” for 2 months. Since the account was a 24 months no interest account… going over put all of the interest back on my account that wasn’t paid for 2 years. The last payment that I had made, was actually a “minimum payment”… I forwarded them the different email style format… and they have no explanation why the email they sent was different format than all the other ones I had paid every month for 2 years… and they proceeded to charge me all that deferred interest from the 24 months because of a short of $52 on the final month.

I called in and spoke with them and escalated the call to like 5 people… and these people are scum. I’ve escalated it to a million managers… and every employee and “manager” sounds like a 21 year old frat boy who’s reading a script off of a screen. Obviously they make their money on predatory tactics... and trying to take advantage of people. It’s ridiculous and I highly recommend never doing business with these people. I’m still fighting all those charges to this day and they refuse to let up. STAY FAR FAR AWAY.

The fact that I have seen others who have gone through this situation makes me feel a bit better, but I have never been so angry toward a company in my life. I was forced into using Comenity as part of laser hair removal treatments with Ideal Image, and essentially got screwed out of more than $500. I made all my payments online and was involved in paperless billing. While Comenity sends monthly payment reminders via email, nowhere in any of those payment reminders do they bother to remind you that the year-long, interest-free promotion period is coming to an end, and you should pay off your balance. That's because they hope you make the same mistake I did.

Unfortunately, I missed the promotional deadline due to this lack of information and failed to pay off my full balance by one month. Therefore I was saddled with the accrued interest from the past year and started accruing 30-something percent interest going forward. Despite paying off my balance immediately upon my realization (again, just one month late), and after numerous phone calls and a hand-written (mailed) letter to Comenity (they don't conduct any business through email), my plea to forgive the more than $500 I'd have to pay in interest was denied. Five hundred dollars is a lot of money and I essentially had to throw that out the window because of extreme lack of empathy and unwillingness to budge or compromise even a little bit. To top it all off, the Comenity associates I spoke to on the phone were extremely rude, unhelpful, and unforgiving. I'd LOVE a class-action suit against Comenity. They are a truly terrible and immoral company.

Christopher Banks Comenity Bank Card charged me a $27 late fee along with a $2 minimum charge fee for my payment due Friday 07 July 2017. I mailed my bill on Monday, 03 July 2017, in plenty of time for them to receive the payment on the due date of Friday 07 July 2017. I also mailed (USPS) my mortgage check at the exact same time. My mortgage payment was received, processed and cleared my account on Wednesday, 05 July, yet my payment to Christopher Banks was not processed until Tuesday 11 July. I sent a secure message and the reply was that CB did not have record of my electronic payment. I did not say I paid via electronic methods.

I called the credit card company and the customer service rep said that the mail had to go to San Antonio Texas and would take longer. Really??? The United States Postal Service does great work, and if one payment made it to its destination in one day, why couldn't the other payment make it to CB in four days. I feel their payment processing department does a very poor job of processing payments in a timely manner. I asked my late fees to be reversed and they refused. I feel the error is theirs and not the post office.

My experience is much the same as others who have voiced their opinion of Comenity Bank. I had paid my bill electronically through my bank and the next thing I knew I got a past due notice... WHAT??? Long story short I found out that they do NOT accept electronic payments so I had to go straight to my J. Jill account and pay it that way plus a late fee and service charge. Now I hesitate to charge anything with my J. Jill card... it's too much of a hassle.

Steer clear of credit cards issued by Comenity Bank. I just made the final payment and I am not sure that they won't find something else to bill me for. A store will offer you the product interest free until a certain date and this bank will do everything they can to find ways to charge interest and late fees. They have no recurrent payment option so they can end up charging you a late fee. I sent payments from my bank account directly. They went by bank check because they have no direct electronic option either. Every payment went out by the 28th and got there on time. They claim that my last payment got there a day late. If I hadn't checked and caught the late fee (which they wouldn't credit back to me under any condition) they would have hit me with a whole year's worth of interest.

I have never been so upset with a company in my life. After being stupid enough to apply for Forever 21's credit card, all I wanted to do was close my account. I called the number on their website which took me to a customer service rep that couldn't speak clear English. I kept telling him that I just wanted to close my account but he kept offering me deals and even said that this was part of the process in order to close the account. I kept telling him I didn't want anything but as gullible as I am, I ended up giving him my debit card number thinking I had to pay off my card (even though I had already paid it off that same day). He assured me that this was to close the account and that after he got the card he would transfer me to his supervisor.

Well once I gave him my card number he put me on hold and then after a few minutes, he hung up on me. I called back and he changed his name, and when I swore it was him who I was talking to earlier he hung up on me again. They took $4.95 out of my account (which was every dollar that I had in that account) and said it was non-refundable. I checked the number on the Forever 21 Comenity and I did not type in the wrong number. I got scammed for their inability to post the correct customer phone number. It's my fault for allowing him to scam me but even so, save yourself the headache and DO NOT SIGN UP FOR ANYTHING WITH COMENITY! They have multiple numbers on their website and they change them (for what seems like) everyday. Do not trust Comenity.

I would avoid using this bank. Depending on the retail shop card you're issued by Comenity. The website's are heavy when it comes to neuromarketing and this alone hooks people. They have the payment plans and terms set up to take advantage of as many fees as possible on their end. It appears their primary customer base are low income individuals and so this said: It takes almost a week to withdraw the apparently standard $27.00 monthly payment consumers have to make. If you're not working or issued one of these easy to get retail shop cards chances are your bank account is low to begin with. If you miss having that 27$ in your account a pretty much a standard $38.00 return late fee. (you wonder if this the $27.00 psychologically fixed number) It shouldn't almost an entire business week to take money from a checking account, something's up.

Earlier this year, I opened up a new Pier-1 import credit card with above account number. When I entered the account information in my bank's Bill Pay system, I transposed the account number by mistake. As a result, a payment of $33.78 went into someone else's account. All the payment was made to the bank in earnest; it did not post against my account, so I kept on seeing the base amount plus finance charges accruing. I called and talked Diane ** on March 31 and told her what happened (give her the account it went into and the account it should have gone in). I understood that she would do the transfer from someone elses account to my account and I did not have to do anything. She told me that balance was zero and I did not have to do anything. I continued seeing this, so I called again and talked to Kiera **. Then, interestingly, I got a check from Comenity Bank for $33.78 which surprised me.

So, I called again on June 9, 2017 and talked to Shamante ** and I told that I am still seeing all the statements with even more charges accruing and showing that owed the balance and told her about my conversation with Diane and that account balance should have been zero. I also told her that I got a check from Comenity Bank. She could not see verify that check was actually sent. I gave her the check number. So, I started investigating myself and called again today and talked with Cindy ** and explained her what happened and what action I can take to resolve the issues and here it is: Instead of Comenity Bank moving the $33.78 from the wrong account to my account, Comenity Bank sent the check back to me and as a result finance charge kept on accruing on my account which is kind silly because I had paid my dues to the bank in earnest although they got posted to a wrong account.

So, I am going to go back to my Bill Pay system of my bank and reissue a check of $33.78 and it should come back to you in the next few days, so you will get paid. I will cash the check that you sent, so I am money neutral. I would like to request you to please waive all the finance and late charges, so when you do receive $33.78 check from me, the balance should go back to zero. If you have follow up questions, please call me at or email me.

I really appreciate all your help and sorry for the misunderstanding and I hope this clarifies what happened and I hope you will take the appropriate action. The check of $33.78 has been issued and I hope by the next statement the balance is back to zero barring any new purchases. So, today I get another letter from them and I still see an outstanding balance, so I talked to another agent Cameron **, then he connected me to a account manager Latoya ** and I am again on Hold 75 hour. Please help resolve this for me.

Comenity Company Profile