Bread Financial

Written by
Author picture
Edited by

About Bread Financial

Bread Financial, previously known as Comenity, specializes in providing credit cards to consumers. The bank operates primarily through partnerships with retailers and other businesses, offering co-branded credit cards and loyalty programs that allow you to earn rewards and discounts on purchases. However, Bread Financial also has an impressive line-up of high-yield savings products that provide a safe place to park idle cash.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • High APYs
  • Low fees
  • Hundreds of credit cards
  • Attractive terms and conditions on most products
Cons
  • No checking accounts
  • No branches
  • Bread Loan not available to public yet

Featured Reviews

Verified
Charleston, WV

I myself have a lot of Comenity Bank cards, and 2 yrs ago my score was 513 and out of all the banks they gave me chance and since then I always paid good and now my score is 700. ...

Verified
Thornton, CO

I currently have several accounts with Comenity Bank including Victoria Secret, Stage, Boscov's and along with 8 other cards with them. I have never had a problem with them. I rec...

What is Bread Financial?

Comenity Bank and Comenity Capital Bank have rebranded to Bread Financial, a fintech platform providing credit cards, loans and high-yield savings products.

Traditionally, Comenity Bank primarily offered co-branded credit cards and rewards programs with stores like AAA, Victoria’s Secret and Ulta. Today, it also offers a high-yield savings account, certificates of deposit (CDs), a cash-back credit card, personal loans and a buy now, pay later service under its new name, Bread Financial.

How does Bread Financial work?

As a tech-forward financial company, Bread Financial lets you open an account online in just a few minutes. You’ll need your name, address, date of birth, Social Security number and government-issued photo ID to complete your application.

You can expect low fees and high-yields at Bread Financial. Its savings and CDs are federally insured up to $250,000.

Bread Financial products and services

Bread Financial has five types of products: a savings account, CDs, credit cards, a personal loan and a buy now, pay later service.

Bread Savings
The Bread Savings account comes with a 4.25% annual percentage yield (APY) as of publication. It has a $100 minimum opening deposit and no monthly fee. It’s a good choice if you’re trying to build an emergency fund or save up for a short-term goal and want a safe place to grow your money.
Bread CDs
Bread CDs earn competitive interest rates and have $1,500 minimum opening deposits. You have a 10-day grace period at the end of your term to adjust or cash out your CD before it renews.

At the time of publishing, Bread CDs have these terms and interest rates:

• 1-year CD earns 5.00% APY
  • 2-year CD earns 4.75% APY
  • 3-year CD earns 4.50% APY
  • 4-year CD earns 4.35% APY
  • 5-year CD earns 4.25% APY
Bread Cashback Credit Card
With the Bread Cashback American Express Credit Card, you earn unlimited 2% cash back on all purchases — no caps or category opt-ins required. This card has no annual fee and comes with all the protections and benefits you’d get as an American Express customer, including ID theft insurance, dining discounts and more.
Bread Loan
With Bread Loan, you can get a personal loan of up to $35,000 with fixed rates as low as 6.99% APR (annual percentage rate). This loan is best used to consolidate credit card debt. There are no application or origination fees and terms range from 24 to 60 months. In most cases, you’ll get an instant decision.

At the time of publishing, you can only apply for a Bread Loan if you’ve received a direct offer; it’s not yet open to the general public.

Bread Pay
Bread Pay is a buy now, pay later service that lets you split the price of a purchase up over time. You’ll generally see this payment option appear when checking out with select retailers that support Bread Pay.

Bread Financial fees

Bread Financial has no monthly maintenance fees or incoming wire transfer fees. There’s also no annual fee for its credit card or origination fees for its loan.

However, Bread Financial does charge fees for the following:

• $25 for outgoing wire transfers
  • $15 for official check requests
  • $5 for paper statement requests

If you have a Bread CD, you may pay an early withdrawal penalty if you need to access your funds early. This fee is equal to 180 days of simple interest on one to three-year terms and 365 days of simple interest on four and five-year terms.

Bread Financial FAQ

Does Bread Financial use Zelle?

No. Because Bread Financial doesn’t offer any checking accounts, it doesn’t partner with Zelle to allow you to send and receive payments from friends and family.

Is Comenity Bank now Bread Financial?

Yes, Comenity Bank and Comenity Direct have rebranded to Bread Financial. If you have any current Comenity Bank accounts, you should see the logo and branding update in the near future.

How do I contact Bread Financial customer service?

If you have questions about Bread Financial or Comenity Bank accounts, you can reach customer service by phone at 1-855-796-9632.

What is the current rate for Bread Savings?

Bread Savings currently has an APY of 4.25%. This rate compounds daily and gets credited to your account monthly.

Is Bread Financial legit?

Yes, Bread Financial, previously known as Comenity Bank, is a legitimate financial institution dedicated to providing low-cost lending and savings products. It’s FDIC-insured, meaning your money is protected for up to $250,000 if the bank fails.

There are many fintech platforms in the banking space. Bread Financial is an option if you want a low-fee savings account or CD that earns a competitive interest rate, or if you’re looking for a cash-back credit card with no annual fee or reward caps.

Stars Rating

• 6%
  • 13%
  • 5%
  • 2%
  • 73%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bread Financial?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bread Financial?

Reviewed June 12, 2024

I opened a Catherine's credit card in March, I used it and paid the bill with no problems. I used it in May, paid the bill in June third, payment didn't go through, made another payment with the automated. Payment was accepted. Said routing number was incorrect. I looked at my transactions and found a $30 return check charge. Talk to them about it and they would not remove $30.00 check charge. Even though the payment issue was on their end and told them I would no longer use their credit card. Talked with my bank and found they never even attempted the first payment, close the account and will no longer shop with their department. This unhealthy, as they are now going to lose my business and I'm a very loyal shopper. Just poor service from them.

Get buying tips about Banks delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed June 9, 2024

These people on this credit card are the most thieving people that can exist, I had a balance in which I paid everything I owed on time, then when I went to see my bill, it had a late charge of 30 dollars and I am 100% sure I paid it on time, then when I call to complain they tell me that I didn't pay the full bill last month, that they could only give me 15 dollars as a courtesy, thieves people, don't get this credit card, the only thing that they know is scam people.

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed May 31, 2024

Liars and crooks! I paid my balance off on 12/31/2023. Over the next 5 months I was charged late fees and interest on those late fees. I called each month to resolve the issue and was told it was taken care of but it wasn't. I ended up having to pay 3 late fees and interest charges just to close the account and be done with these criminals. Never again!

Reviewed May 22, 2024

I would like to share my experience with this company. Comenity Bank if I am not mistaken offers The Children's Place Reward Card. This is a horrible company with no empathy for customers. On several occasions I was charged a late fee of 30.00 due to certain circumstances. The most recent issues was I forgot to pay on the 1st of May due to death of a friend and I was charged $30.00 late fee. You would think they would have a grace period for paying but they don't. Once I pay this card off I will throw it away and warn others not to get any cards offered by Comenity Bank!!!!

Reviewed May 21, 2024

The WORST customer service experience since they changed from Comenity. They are extremely unknowledgeable and not sure how or what to say for a response to where you have to say hello making sure they're still there. One rep hanged up the phone. No longer able to download your statement if you have 0 balance therefore must call to receive statement information on letterhead. Hope my mortgage lender accepts it. Looking forward to close account so that my credit score will go down from 792 so DONE with this bread company.

Staff

Reviewed May 14, 2024

This is the worst experience with having a store credit card. Not even one star ⭐️. Zero stars. The company has no compassion or care for customers. I was a perfect paying client and at my first and only oversight they had no mercy at all. They could not care for a second for circumstances or reasons. The penalty was implemented period. I have closed the card and will never ever recommend this store to anyone!

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed May 14, 2024

Have an Ulta Bread Card and I realized my payment was due that day at 8:00PM, so I went to go pay it. Turns out, it's considered late at 5:00PM. I did not realize this. I have never paid late. I have great credit and I asked for them to waive the late fee. (I paid literally 3 hours late). They waived $15. While I understand they don't have to waive anything, I didn't understand why they'd waive $15, but not $30 as a one time courtesy. They told me that my account was only eligible for $15 waive, and now I'm no longer eligible for any waived fees.

I asked to file a complaint and the supervisor very condescending. Tried to ask me why I didn't set up autopay. I didn't know that was a feature of your credit card, but you don't even have notification options to allow someone to know that their bill is due this day. I had this happen with another CC recently due to massive amounts of chaos happening in life causing me to lose track of things and they were kind enough to waive the entire fee and then explained about autopay. I completely appreciate a solution, but I can't retroactively apply a solution. Is it something I will use moving forward on other cards? Yes, but this card is being canceled because this seems incredibly predatory.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed April 13, 2024

Stay away from this company! I have been trying to get a letter from Bread Rewards stating that my wife has been removed from my account as an authorized user. This nightmare started on 4/2/24, I called customer service and explained my situation to them and was told that the letter would be emailed to my account and all I needed to do was sign in and the letter would be there. The letter was not there and a couple of days later I called back and was told the same thing. I sign in to my account and nothing was there. So I sent an email to them stating what I needed and why, they responded back informing me that the letter would be mailed and it would take 2 weeks. Still no letter. I called again and this time I spoke with a manager and explained to him what I needed and why, and this time I asked him to fax it; he reassured me that I would receive it and if I didn’t to call him back, he gave me his name and contact information.

I checked again yesterday and the letter still had not arrived. I called back on 4/12 to let the manager know that I had not received the letter and that was very important. I was told that the letter was faxed and it came back unsuccessful. And I was also told that they don’t fax to third parties. I’m working a lender who is trying to get me qualified for a house. I’m frustrated with these people because it should not take all of this. I just want the letter! And I need it now!!

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed April 4, 2024

I couldn't figure out why I ALWAYS had a balance on my Victoria's Secret card & why I was always getting hit with late fees. Well, ladies, I just got off the phone with a very nice agent and she explained that even though I was paying my account off to a ZERO balance, the following week they add a MINIMUM INTEREST fee of $2.00. Since I believed my balance was paid in full, I wouldn't always check the following month. Once my due date passed (on a balance that was paid in full - except for the $2.00 rip off fee) they charged me $37.00 in late fees. So, every month they were getting $40.00 out of me.

I took their word for it over the phone, but today I was in front of my computer and went over the bill with the agent. And just so you know, they don't allow you pay over the amount due on the website. What a freaking joke. I WILL BE CLOSING THIS ACCOUNT! COMENITY BANK - MORE LIKE CROOK BANK. They also own LOFT, Bed Bath & Beyond, Ikea, Ulta, Buckle, Justice, Children's Place, Crate & Barrel, Forever 21, J. Crew, Lane Bryant, Pottery Barn, Zales, and Alphaeon - and about 75 other stores I'm not familiar with. Good Luck and watch your pockets, friends!

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed March 29, 2024

I signed up for a card a few weeks ago. I never got the card. When I got my first bill, I couldn't pay it because I didn't have the card number (I thought). I called and wrestled with the automated system. I have a paralyzed vocal cord so can't use the voice commands reliably. When I finally got a person, he told me the number was at the bottom of the page. What kind of stupid sense does it make to "secure" the card number in the account number box but then print it out in full at the bottom of the same page?? So I go online to pay my bill. It won't save my bank info. I call back and am told I need to use the Chrome browser.

We don't use Chrome; we use a secure browser that works fine with all our other accounts, and we are not going back to Chrome now for ANYbody. So I decide to go back to the phone automated assistant. I can't type the cc number in fast enough and it sends me again to a representative. And again, she refuses to help me unless I pay a $9.00 fee and sends me back to the phone system. It took me a solid half hour to pay my bill and close my account. Some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced. No matter my problem, they still refused to do any work on it themselves without an exorbitant fee. Never again Comenity. I will remember you, and Bread Financial, forever.

Bread Financial Company Information