1.11/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Comenity

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Comenity Reviews

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

I was a little nervous due to some of the ratings, but decided to give it a go. Very easy to open and fund the HYSA. When I wanted to withdraw from my account I was not able to figure out the confirmation required, so I called Customer Service. In conflict with some of the reviews, I was very pleased with the experience. The agent was able to walk me through the procedure and the funds were successfully posted to my bank account the next business day. Very pleased with the terms and rates with Comenity Direct and I am very comfortable recommending it.

Original review: July 18, 2019

First off, I've read all of the negative reviews and it's the card holder's fault and not Comenity. If you are on top of your bills, and pay them on time every month whether it's minimum, partial, or PIF they will treat you very well, give CLI's, and you won't have late fees. It is sent with the card in print stating the fees and due dates. If you are two days late, you will get a late fee. That's not Comenity's fault. If you don't like the fees and/or interest rates, DO NOT use the card and they will close the account like it was never even opened.

All of my store cards from Comenity have grown so much over the past 18 months while I've rebuilt my credit after a tough patch financially. I started with a Victoria's Secret card through them when nobody else would, and now 18 months later I am the proud holder of Amex, Discover, and Capital One to name a few. I am always on top of my bills and pay them early every month to allow for time in case something was to happen and I needed to fix it. Thank you Comenity for giving me my financial freedom back and for being a wonderful company!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

The complaints in here bewilder me. Of course you will incur late fees if you pay your bill late; of course you will incur interest charges if you carry a balance. After a bad relationship failed and took my credit with it, I stayed off the grid for 8 years. When I was ready to get back into the game, Comenity was one of the only banks willing to take a chance on me -- a middle-aged woman with no credit history. I've paid my bills on time well before the due date and I've paid more than the minimum due. I've never gotten a phone call from them and their websites are remarkably easy to use. The people complaining here are either bad at paying their bills on time or bad at understanding how online billing works -- I've had no problems whatsoever and I've received generous credit line increases already. Comenity is a great bank for rebuilding credit provided you actually plan to pay them back on time.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I share the same experiences with Comenity Bank, paying on time and it takes sometimes a week to debit my account, charge a late fee, and the customer service is awful. I close my JJill account and will do the same with Talbots and Loft. I can see reading the reviews, I came to the conclusion that nothing stops them and hopefully the consumers affair can put a stop of the way they do business. I have a business for the last 43 years and I can not believe that they get away.

I notice that my account was due in two days so I called Talbots. Make a payment. The young lady process my payment and gave me a confirmation number and they say that my payment was denied. I deal in my business and personal with so many banks and credit cards and never anything like that happen to me. Hope they get investigated. Ah! As the rest have excellent credit and they scare me... They can ruin you for life. I will closed all my accounts that Comenity holds their card. I don't need to be treated in this manner.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

The second they email you about your card statement being available online, they also call you from multiple different numbers every hour on the hour. Bill isn't even due until next month. No past due balance; nothing. Just straight harassment. Absolutely a nightmare to deal with; never again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I opened this card in July of 2019. I have made on time payments every time. I recently added a new account to my profile so that I could use it to make payments. I received an email stating that the payment was received and would be deducted, pending final authorization from the bank. My daughter tried to make a purchase last week but couldn't. I went to check and it said that the payment was returned. I didn't understand why since the account had plenty of money in it, but I paid with a different account since the payment was now considered late.

After a few days went by, I noticed that the account had been frozen, so I contacted customer service. I was told that the account used to make the last payment couldn't be found, so the payment was returned, and even though I made another payment, which I double checked to make sure was debited due to the first problem that I had, my account was locked and not eligible for review for 90 days. That means that all of my coupons will expire, and my two Angel rewards worth $10 each will also expire. Maybe I'm just having a bad day, but their response made me feel horrible. I told my teenager that I will pay off the remaining balance, but then I will cancel the card.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

I paid off my account on August 8, 2019, called in specifically to make sure the amount was correct. Two weeks later I get a bill with added interest after a 24 -month promotional offer of no interest. It is not my fault that interest is applied a month later, very misleading. DO NOT use COMENITY BANK.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I applied for the credit card on Ulta's website due to a promotion. If I applied for a credit card I would get 20% off the purchase. That was the only reason why I applied for the card. After I completed the application I was told that my application was under review and they would let me know the status within 10 days. I have a credit score of over 800 and there was no reason why I should have not been approved for the card at the time I applied. I pay all of my credit cards in full, monthly. I received a letter from Comenity stating they could not continue processing my application until I contacted them directly to verify information. As I write this, I have been on hold waiting for an agent, 1 hr and 55 minutes. I don't know what information they need verified, but at this point I would never do business with this bank.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

I would not give them any stars if that was an option. I have not seen this issue in any of the reviews. I just recently joined BJ's and decided to go ahead with applying for the credit card since they had nice cashback incentives. About a week later I received a letter from them stating my application cannot be processed and to call them to provide more information. I have excellent credit and have never had this problem before. I called them and some of their questions were invasive and personal and I immediately had a feeling this was not a legitimate company. They then told me that I would receive another letter requiring more information which was really surprising. I just received that letter and they are requiring copies of my driver's license, social security card and a copy of a utility bill or bank statement. This is ridiculous and unheard of. I feel this is very fraudulent and of course will not comply.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

My statement for the month was 2661.32 cents. I paid 2661 due to rounding error and was charged 13$ as finance fees. To add insult to injury on calling customer service the agent schooled me on where I can find details of the Finance charge buried in their terms and conditions. Most ethical banks would waive off the fee. I have cancelled my card as I do not want to encourage their unethical practices.

Comenity Company Information