Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.87/5

Comenity Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Comenity?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Complete scam! I just opened this card and they are claiming my first payment was returned by my bank, completely untrue which my bank confirmed! Charged me nearly $200 in fees and reported me to 4 credit bureaus within 8 days of the payment I made without even notifying of this completely untrue problem or trying to resolve it. They have refused to try to resolve the issue. I have now reported them to the 6 agencies that regulate Comenity Capital Bank but in the meantime they have ruined my credit for absolutely no reason, lied to me repeatedly, and still have yet to even mail me a statement or resolve the issue.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

Comenity is useless by every imaginable way as a credit card company. I was a Pier One store card user as it was beneficial for the purchases in store. When Pier One closed My store card closed not too much later. I ran across the opportunity to join with Comenity which serviced the Pier One account that was recently closed. My problems started when they put my account on hold for 90 day because I incorrectly left off one digit when entering my checking account to pay my bill. I did catch my own mistake prior to the due date and my payment was made and the account information was now all set for the future. Again, my account was never late.

I was charged 29.00 for my mistake because they electronically tried the transaction. I recently looked at my account and it showed no credit.... They put my account on hold for 90 day!!! Lol. I tried to call on two separate dates to speak to someone who might want to keep a customer. They denied that they were able to help me. I finally closed this account as they refused to do anything. Will never recommend this company to anyone that wants to be treated like a real customer. They don't care about their customers. They lost me charging 50-60k a year on this card. Don't ever consider Comenity Bank. Too many other companies that show way better customer support.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2021

From the beginning, this bank made it difficult to access my account information. No card was sent home, so registering for online access was a pain. Then they stopped offering the Wayfair card, so the account could no longer be accessed from the wayfair site. Trying to talk to a customer service representative was an exercise in frustration, with huge wait times. Then to top it off, they charged me a late fee for a bill paid ON TIME, but after 6pm on the due date. I've dealt with many credit cards over my lifetime and have never had a bank that cared when it was paid. I emailed them and they said they would not remove the late fee, despite the fact it was paid only 45 minutes after the time it said on the website. Mind you, there were NO mention of times on the bill they sent to my house. I paid off my account and will never again accept a card issued by this shady bank that takes advantage of people.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I have had a Comenity card for years. I used to have a due date of the 3rd of every month but I thought my payment was due on the 5th, which is the same day another card is due. I called them and got the payment rescheduled for the 5th once I figured out what was going on. I have always paid on time and above what the minimum balance is and I've always been able to pay off my balances quickly.

Tonight when I called to make a payment, the total due was more than the month before! I listened to the recording and it said if your payment was made after 6:00 p.m., it would be credited to my account the next business day. They literally said the payment will post to my account tomorrow. So they've been charging me late fees all these months and I had no idea! I don't read my statements because I know how much I've charged, when it's due and what is due.

In November they charged me $29 even though I paid on the 5th. In December they charged me $35 even though I paid on the 5th. This is not right. Comenity have ruined my credit when I have paid according to terms. I have always operated this way and it's never been a problem before, so I don't know why it's a problem now. I think I'm going to contact my representatives and see if I can get them to do something about this. Card companies should not be able to do this to you if you pay on the due date. I've read the reviews and everyone says their CS is awful. I them to each them tonight, but you have to call before 8:00 p.m.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

They charge interest from the beginning. No matter the promotion of 10 months without interest. I called and they said it was my fault. Do not apply for this if you don't want to end up paying triple for the items you're buying.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2020

This “bank” should be investigated. Just look at all the bad reviews. They opened a card fraudulently with my information, never checked for employment history or even address history. The cardholder then racked up over $11 K in purchases in my name. That was in 2018. I didn’t find out until late 2020 when I tried to get a legitimate credit card and was denied! Now I cannot get credit and I am the one who must prove that fraud was committed. This has been a nightmare at a time when I really need credit to survive.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

I tried for 9 months to straighten out my account. They are horrible! I kept setting up auto pay with someone from Comenity walking me through it twice. They took my off auto pay and started charging me $39 a month late fee and a finance change of $17+ every month! They refused to let me hear the recordings of the previous phone calls which would verify my enrollment. I will NEVER work with Toyota or Comenity again and you should not either!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

I used their BJs credit card for quite some time. Recently I got a new card and when I tried to activate it through their automatic phone system, it would not activate as my SSN did not match with its records. At any point in time, I did not request any change in SSN number. When I spoke with the Customer care, the Rep confirmed that my SSN number was different in the record. I asked her how could my SSN number get changed by itself. She said she will try to fix it on the phone but could not override it. She reached out to her superiors and then got back to me and said I need to send documents and photo copies to them through mail to confirm my SSN and identity.

I was with her on the phone for almost an hour (after waiting for long time to get connected) and at the end this was the result. They did not give any explanation why and how my SSN got changed in their system in the first place. And in the end they want me to send them all the documents to correct the mistake they have created. How can I trust them with more personnel data when they have no explanation why they could not secure my SSN in the first place? I decided to cancel my card.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

Made the mistake of taking a Forever 21 card for the 20% discount. My initial purchase was $90, I have paid that off and since paid $80 in late fees. Not worth the 20% discount. If your payment is missed by one day of the billing cycle they tack on $40 late fee, even if your balance is like $5.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2020

I had a Boot Barn credit card, initially the limit was 2000. I was never late and always paid more than minimum. 1st they dropped my limit to 1500, I had balance of 1700 so I was over limit. Then I paid lump sum dropping my balance to 800. They dropped my limit again. The reason they gave was I had too much balance on my other cards. Because of them my credit scores all dropped.

Comenity Company Information