3.2/5 (68 ratings)

About Brother Printers

Brother Printers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brother Printers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brother Printers?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Hi, I also face the same issue with my printer. I bought this printer 2 months ago. Sometimes it works fine but sometimes it creates issues. Please help if someone knows how to fix this issue permanently.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I had to purchase a new printer ASAP when I upgraded to Windows 10, and it wouldn't allow my trusty Lexmark e210 to work on that OS. I purchased a brand new Brother HL-L2370DW from Office Depot. The plusses: Good price point. Prints quickly and cleanly. The minuses: Toner and drum are separate units ($$$$). Machine's paper drawer sticks a bit when opening. Confusing format for printing second side of paper (facing front, facing up). Tends to jam often with lighter paper stock. Somewhat noisy operation. Push button selection switch needs to run through selections to power off, rather than having a convenient toggle power switch. This unit will have to do until I need to replace it... and despite all of the raves I've heard about Brother, this will probably be my first AND last of their printers...

Original review: July 9, 2019

Printer MFC-J5620DW Ink over $100. This has been a very good printer. I had been buying replacement ink online but wasn't able to find any online today for a reasonable price. So I went to OfficeMax. They want $67.00 for a set of color cartridges and $44.00 for one black cartridge. When I purchased this printer it was advertised as having one to the lowest printer ink cost. No one in their right mind pays $100 or more for ink unless the printer is a professional printer costing thousands. This is ridiculous to say the least. I purchased a new Epson printer for under $100 and ink for under $50. $50 is still a lot to pay for ink but it's better than over $100. Too bad Brother makes good products, but not even WalMart will sell the ink to this printer and the Brother ink they do sell is just as overpriced.

Original review: July 3, 2019

This is my third time with a Brother printer and all of them have failed within two weeks time. Very very poor support system. Brother laser printer ran out of toner. Installed new toner. Never worked again. Bought a second Brother printer that is supposed to do envelopes. Will not do envelopes. About a third Brother printer ran out of ink. Installed OEM Ink. Never print it again. All three over $1,200 thrown in the trash can.

Original review: June 20, 2019

Brother printers purchased outside of Europe cannot use ink cartridges sold in the UK. In my case, Brother tells me to purchase from the USA but has restrictions in place to stop Amazon and others from shipping from USA to UK. This is not mentioned on their websites. After 3 emails, where I specified my unit was USA purchased, they directed me to their website which directed me to buy a cartridge that they later informed would not work on my machine. Bottomline, don't buy Brother if you might travel.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I have purchased Brother printer from Ahmedabad India on 04.04.2018. I have printed 605 copies till now in 1 year time period. I wanted to print few copies on both side. The paper got stuck after successfully printing 3 pages out of 22. I removed the stuck pages and now the display say "Unable to print 0B fault" I called up Brother service center on 22.04.2019 (18 days over) and the staff replied that the printer is out of warranty and can be fixed on chargeable basis.

I called up your toll free number and asked the question "What is the printer's lifetime?" I have been told from Brother International that it is 50000 copies. I said, "Your printer has a default and I am 18 days over the warranty and expect at least one service." No one heard to what I want to say and it was only one reply OUT OF WARRANTY. Well, I booked in service call with Brother and technician gave quote over the phone stating expense of INR4000 as it need 2 parts replacement. It's a shame on BROTHER company if their product does not give service for its own lifetime which is 50000 copies and died on me for just 605 copies. It costed me INR30 for one copy. Shame on you BROTHER EMPIRE.

Original review: May 24, 2019

Purchased a "new-in-box" printer from eBay seller. Error message during initial set-up. Attempted DIY via Web research. Brother customer service referred to repair center. Repair center ordered part. Parts department informed us that "new" printer was actually 13 years old! And, parts availability ended in 2017! eBay seller avoided responsibility; but, Brother took care of us. (Kudos!) Caveat Emptor! [Buyer beware!] Of ANY printer sold ("new" or used) on eBay! Tips from what we learned: 1) Check manufacturer website to learn if model was discontinued; 2) Get serial number from seller; 3) chat on manufacturer site to learn unit's production date from S/N, AND last year model produced; 4) parts are ONLY available up to 7 years AFTER last year model produced. Good luck.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Printer-HL-5200DW. Toner cartridge-TN-850, High Yield. I bought my new printer in December of 2018. A High Yield replacement cartridge came bundled with the printer. My factory installed cartridge (working just fine) ran out 4 months later. I am a retired graphic artist and don't print a whole lot anymore. I installed the new cartridge and it smeared toner on the pages right from the start. My emails to Brother involved a few days of back and forth, which ended in me being told that my cartridge was out of warranty. By one month. I became a squeaky wheel and finally was told "as a valued customer, we will replace the cartridge".

A day later I got the shipping confirmation which read: "An order for a toner TN-820 (standard yield) has been processed at no cost to you. The TN-850 (high yield) is out of stock and we decided sending you the Standard Yield one to avoid delay. The order should arrive within 3 - 5 business days. At Your Side, Brother." Mighty nice of them sending a cartridge with 5,000 pages less yield. And a difference of $40 if you are keeping count. The boss probably saw the email offer of a free cartridge and decided to cut THEIR loss and send a cheaper one. I paid for the High Yield, they should have replaced the High Yield. Besides, can you really imagine Brother Corporation out of stock??

I am so disappointed with Brother after this mess. I had an old model Brother that worked great for 13 years with absolutely no problems, printer or toner cartridges. Even one sealed cartridge that sat for over two years before I installed it. So, I thought the logical choice was to get another Brother printer. I ordered the new Brother which has Wi-Fi and 2 paper trays. Buyer Beware: The toner warranty for 90 days is based on the purchase date. Not 90 days after the factory seal is broken and you install it. Do not buy to keep on hand.

I have read several complaints about the bad printing quality and others also being told about the 90-day warranty on the cartridges. This is new. I think it is because they cannot confirm when we install the new toner, but they can confirm the purchase date with a sales receipt. They should trust us when we say when we installed it and that it’s garbage. But of course, they won’t.

So, Brother Corporation, I ask you why is the 90-day warranty not marked “clearly” on the toner boxes or anywhere else? At least I couldn’t find it written anywhere. Does this mean we cannot keep any toner on hand for delay-free work flow? These and many other questions come to mind.
• Has your toner formula changed?
• Are you now using recycled cartridges?

• I notice now the cartridges are made in Vietnam. I never had cause to look at my older cartridge boxes so I am not sure if this is a recent change. Is it?

When I asked a Brother Customer Service Representative (regarding the 90-day warranty) if that means that as soon as I bought and stored the cartridge in my closet to have on hand when the old toner ran out, the warranty clock was ticking? The answer I was given was “yes”. That doesn’t make sense. Wouldn’t that mean that all the cartridges sitting in the Brother warehouses are “out of warranty” already when they sell them? Or do they toss them all after 90 days? Is the toner quality degrading as it sits in the factory sealed unit? What about vendors that may not have a high turnover rate? Or vendors that do, and buy large amounts at a time? I think Brother International Corporation has some serious policy review needed or if need be, quit cutting corners on their products. Their “valued customers” are leaving in droves.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I had bought 2 Brother printers, and even my sister had bought one for her house, and all three had VERY poor wifi connections. Every other device would be connected the internet APART from the printer. For its price, it's not good at all. The colour is unimpressive, the colours aren't bright enough for an LASER printer. The printer slows EVERYTHING down for me when I am in a rush. Work that should take me less than 1 hour takes me 4. Not good at all. Seriously.

Original review: April 13, 2019

My husband and I tried to order a replacement feeder attachment for the one that broke off our Brother Printer. We first went online and tried to find the model number for the part to order it. No luck, spent 45 minutes on the Brother website. The only other option was to call Brother support to try and order the part. We kept getting transferred to different salespeople. Each salesperson that we were transferred to would say they couldn't order it for us because it was a different department. Finally after being transferred 5 times, the 5th person said they could order it if we give them our printer information, so we did. They confirmed the part description and model # etc.... We paid $11. We were on the phone for 1 hour and twenty minutes for this. 2 weeks later we get the part in the mail and it is nothing even close to what we ordered. :)) Such a waste! Don't bother!!!

Original review: April 7, 2019

I was scammed for $300.00. I dialed the Brother's helpline which was intercepted by an Indian sounding person who answered. To make a multi-hour experience, short, I stupidly gave a credit card # to pay for the repair and it 100% caused a twelve day loss of my computer and printer. Microsoft and my cable provider finally have me back in working order but I've lost half of my 450 page manuscript for my second novel. I want my money back and immediate help to re-find the lost pages. I have an acknowledgment receipt for the money which I will share when I'm contacted.

Original review: March 27, 2019

Printers don't print quality pages. I have tried from PC and a Macs. Blurred, different colors, pixelated. Never the right picture. I have spent 10... Yes I am an idiot, 10 hours total on the phone. They have troubleshooted everything. They have misplaced my info countless times. No reference numbers so I have to go over everything again to a different person. I have wasted 100s of pages, and I just need a new printer. This is obviously faulty. But, they won't give me any info on how to replace it. Just a continuous circle of them trying to troubleshoot. I am now out over a $1000. The worst ever. Didn't think a company could be worse than HP, but here we are.

Original review: March 12, 2019

I bought a Brother MFC-8710DW about 3.5 years ago. Had been very happy with the printer, scanning, and copying function up to one week ago. A vertical line was coming up when scanning and copying... but not with printing. I tried a new toner cartridge but the problem remained. I called Customer Support and they walked me through several steps and we did get it resolved. There was something on the scanner glass plate (narrow glass panel to the left of the large glass plate). Cleaned it with alcohol pad and now everything works. This is unheard of to get a company to help work this, when there was no problem with the machine... and they did not charge me anything.

Original review: March 6, 2019

According to Brother customer support, their printers use all four ink cartridges to print a composite black and can't be set to use the black cartridge only. I replaced all of the cartridges so the printer would print, even though I rarely print a color copy. Less than four months and maybe two color copies later, the yellow cartridge is empty and I can't print a simple black ink only page. Additionally, ink from all cartridges is sucked out and removed every time the printer performs a pre-scheduled cleaning cycle. So wasteful, expensive, and unnecessary.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Put new Brother OEM toner cartridges in my printer just 4 months ago and the yellow toner has leaked all over. I paid top dollar for OEM cartridges because the cheaper cartridges proved to be problematic. Well... expensive, OEM seems to be no better. Very sad and angry that my printer isn't printing properly and needs to be cleaned. This is the SECOND time I have had Brother OEM cartridges leak all over the interior of my printer. Never had these issues with my HP printer.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I had an old Brother printer and it worked great. When it was getting low on toner, it would tell you but continue to let you print. The new Brother MFC I purchased will not allow you to print at all. So once it decides that you should replace the toner, it stops printing. No warning. SO basically they are trying to scam you into buying and keeping a bunch of toners on hand at all time. The toner is ridiculously expensive -$75 for a 3,000 print toner and I do not even think you actually get 3,000 prints out of it. Scam. Will not purchase another one. That is for sure.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I would not recommend this product. When I ran out of magenta and yellow ink the printer would not let me print plain black text without buying new colour cartridges. Apparently, when any of the colour ink cartridges reaches empty, a ONE TIME ONLY message should come up on your screen saying, "Do you want to print just using black ink". I never got this message and there is no way to bring up this message again and say yes I would like to print just in black. I know this because I rang Brother's support line in Australia. The guy on the phone said, "Because you missed this one time message (which I'm sure I never got) you need to go buy more magenta and yellow ink." These babies are not cheap - $32 Aussie bucks each cartridge. I have the suspicion this is a rort by Brother to keep you buying their super expensive ink. Not impressed and will never buy Brother again.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I bought a Brother MFC-J491DW printer last weekend. This is not my first printer, but it's the first (and last) Brother. It's going back this weekend. After installing, I had to uninstall. Spent well over 3 hours trying to get this thing working. Had two tech guys over, who do this sort of thing for a living, took them 4 hours, finally got it working. It printed two sheets of my law assignment. I thought it was fine. Next day, turned it on, tried to print, had to uninstall, re-install, printed a few more sheets. Just now, tried to print some more, it's totally not functional. So, back it goes, I'm not wasting any more of my life on this piece of garbage. Their site is useless. You can't contact them through their links anywhere. I cannot recommend this company to anyone, after this very frustrating experience.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I can't believe they let this people do business in USA. They will rip you off. These printers (MFC-l2710DW) are trash, and I have to spend 30 minutes on the phone with them every time I have to replace the toner. I have a business and I lost deals because of this, I should sue them.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I bought a Black & White all-in-one and a Brother color printer for my small business about two years ago. I just recently replaced the starter toner in both units. The issue isn't so much the product as it is the service. So my B&W printer was giving me a low toner warning so I bought the backup B&W HY toner cartridge. I didn't install it right away because the printer was still printing fine. It continued printing fine for another 4 1/2 months. Finally, it stopped printing and I replaced the toner with the new cartridge. After replacing the cartridge it worked but it was bleeding toner on the page. Because it was the holidays and I wasn't working much I didn't worry too much about it until January. I called Brother just expecting to do a couple troubleshooting steps and be back printing again. After an hour of troubleshooting, downloading new drivers and verifying with them that it was a genuine toner cartridge. They told me I needed to replace the toner.

Then they asked me for my receipt which unfortunately for me was over 90 days since I purchased it. This was a $129 toner cartridge that didn't work properly when I installed it and they refused to budge and replace it. Don't buy your cartridges until you are completely out of toner and it doesn't print. I'm in the financial business so I print a lot of paper. For that toner to warn me for 4 1/2 months before it actually was empty, was way too early of a warning. So, early that it was enough time for my warranty to expire on the new one I purchased. I am considering buying generic toner now because I feel like I just got scammed.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

After replacing the first toner cartridge with a new cartridge, the Brother MFC-7840 W printer has stopped operating. It is now permanently stuck in an error state of "Toner Life End". Despite many attempts to reset the toner counter using different instructions, the printer remains useless. It also has network connectivity issues that require the user to use an old router not connected to the internet. Difficult to troubleshoot and hard to use.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I've bought a Black and White Laser printer a few years ago and finally almost out of my second toner cartridge. Not so long ago my printer stopped working so I contacted them through their site. It took about 3 days or so to get my printer working but they were very helpful (This was in Canada). After writing back and forth with them to try troubleshoot the problem, they helped get my printer working again and didn't take any longer than 24 hours before they sent me another email to move forward with getting the printer to work.

The Support Team was very helpful and if I need a new printer in the future, I would definitely buy another Brother Printer. If somebody asked me which printer to get, I'd strongly suggest Brother Laser. One great thing about Laser is that they're a lot more efficient than Inkjet. Other than minor issues when I first got the printer, I've been very happy with it from day one.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Had a Brother printer for years, service was excellent. Got a new one 2 weeks ago, they have yet to fix it. Going back and never again! On the phone 3 times with customer service and then emailed twice. Sent a confirmation that said are you happy with the service you received... I never received a reply to my question. Too bad they used to be good, HP here I come.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Having had purchased 4-5 all in one printers, several using ink and several using laser toner, I purchased 1 then another Brother all-in-one printer, MFC-L2710DW, toner cartridges. Having found I was severely allergic to the toner in the first, I thought maybe it was a coincidence, therefore purchased another. Having the second for less than a month and finding getting the same reactions I proceeded to initiate a return with Brother at the Corporate level. Having spoken to an individual at the Executive level, the reply I got was “We Stand by our Products”, they would not allow me to return my device, only do a replacement. Why would I want a replacement?? Another manufacturer I had purchased the same type of device from, having gone to the Executive level, issued me a return, even though it was out of the return time frame from the retail store where it was purchased.

A lot of back and forth, time consuming, but in the end I did receive a refund. This particular manufacturer understands when a customer wishes to return a product they make, issuing a refund is the way to go, do not want to lose customers or be bad mouthed to everyone in the customer’s community. Very different scenario with Brother. Brother has had recalls in the past and I am looking at recalling their inks and toners. In addition, perhaps you, at ConsumerAffairs, could recommend an all in one printer device, using a different substance, GREEN, that would not be TOXIC.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

This printer would be great if it worked properly. This printer jams more than it actually prints. The ink nozzles need cleaning at least once a week and the yield on the ink is terrible. I bought this printer because it is multi-functional, but mainly because it has two paper drawers and the description said the ink is "super high yield." If I try to use the bottom drawer to print on paper that has writing on the reverse side, it will feed through multiple pieces of paper. As for the "super high yield ink," this is a straight up lie. I was excited for this printer but have been truly disappointed since the day I bought it. Do not buy this printer. Very frustrated after spending the money to find out it doesn't live up to its description.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

We have had this printer for a couple of years but very low usage - 1,700 pages total. Started receiving Print Unable EC a few months ago and I have not had time to troubleshoot. Started in earnest to try to correct. Appears to be the fan and taking apart the unit will take quite some time. How can a fan fail after a few years and hardly any printing. All parts life are at 100% except drum is 94%. I am guessing this is not going to be fixable at a reasonable price. I have had HP printers in the past which last forever &/or are somewhat easy to fix. I will probably not go with a Brother printer in the future.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

The absolute worst warranty process in the world! They keep you on the phone for upwards of an hour with petty little questions and processes. Then they ask for credit card to make sure you return defective printer. No confirmation email ever sent! Called back and waited another 30 minutes while they looked into it. Clearly they try to get you to the point where you give up!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I have a HL-3170CDW. It will not print on both sides; it jams. I cannot feed manually; it jams. When I cancel my printing due to a jam, it then runs a "test" which will not stop. It will use all of the paper in the printer, then ask for more, even though I "cancel" the print run both on the printer and in my device manager. I am getting color dots on my pages, dirt on the roller? This is a piece of **. Warning; do not buy a Brother product.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Beware buying "Brother" products. Their customer solution when you run into a problem or are dissatisfied with the product you purchased - is NIL. I bought the HL-3170CDW model laser color printer for a second time because the first one had a problem with the fuser roller burning out within 2 years causing a problem when printing documents. It was not cost effective to fix so I decided to buy the same model as I liked it a lot and hoped it would be a better one. This printer is not cheap and when purchased it comes with a full set of black and color toner cartridges. Well, the second printer I purchased did come with a set of toner cartridges but were the wrong ones and did not work with the printer.

I tried in vain explaining this so that I could get it replaced with the right toner cartridges which is TN-221. What I kept getting from the various representatives I spoke to was that what I received was the standard toner cartridges and that they should work. There was an exchange of many phone calls with me repeatedly telling them they were not the right cartridges because they did not work. This really does boil down to their not wanting to accept the liability or cost for the right toner cartridges which is so unbelievable. Brother is not a reliable brand willing to stand behind their products and I made a big mistake in my purchase. I will no longer buy Brother products going forward.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Brother MFC-l2707DW - Previously I owned HP all in ones and they were okay except I felt the ink was expensive. Finally the printer head needed to be replaced so I said the heck with it. I will get a new one. I was impressed by the fact that Brother offered support for as long as you own the machine whereby other companies charge you after a year. So far the machine has impressed us. It is quiet, fast and creates a nice crisp copy. I have used the scan and fax options and again, very pleased with the outcome. I found that this copier was very easy to set up. Before purchasing I made sure it was compatible with Windows 10 so I didn't have any extra work there. So to us, it works like a charm. Glad we purchased it.

Brother Printers Company Information