2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.64/5

Brother Printers Reviews

Original review: May 6, 2020

I have called recently to the support at Brother concerning my printer losing connection with my laptop. Instead of telling me to restart my wifi and setup wifi connection, he suggested to buy a package of updates for my computer to adjust to the updates of their software. Totally false when I realized that I just had to reconnect the wifi. Would not buy this product in the future with this type of support.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I have bought this MFC-J2320 Inkjet in 2017 and since then, I have only had troubles with this printer. I have used it only sparingly (weekly prints) because it gave me so many troubles from the start. The printing was noisy. WiFi never worked properly. With every restart I need to re-enter WiFi details. Even when the printer is off, it makes weird sounds at night and for someone who has my bedroom next door (It's a home office) it has been a nuisance. The printer guzzled ink. Never gave even 20% of the efficiency it promised. The quality of print steadily declined. The scanning worked fine but it could never save it through wifi, using a pen drive was necessary.

Paper jams are usual business. This afternoon, only after printing less than 30 pages since getting new set of cartridges the ink seems to have died out. I have decided to sell it off as scrap and never get another Brother product in my life. This is an absolutely bitter experience. And the problems weren't limited to one aspect - it seemed this is a poorly designed product. I dislike creating unwanted e-waste, this was the only reason for persisting with this worthless product. If anyone considering this brand of printers, my advice would be to stay away.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I spent 350 on a printer and it's a piece of crap. The printer doesn't cancel print jobs. Days later every time I turn it on it is printing something I have tried to cancel. I cancel it, it stops, then it starts printing again randomly. So much paper and ink has been wasted. Who knows when this thing will start printing, it has a mind of its own. And I didn't press print multiple times or anything, it just does that. I will never buy the Brother brand again.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

No support HL-L3290CDW. This printer worked well for 598 sheets and then "no toner" came up on the led display so, naturally, I went to Amazon and purchased all new toner. When the new toner arrived I installed them and the problem continued. I contacted Brother support (which is only online now and slow) to be told that unless I purchase another set of toner from Brother, there is nothing they can do for me as the ones I now have might be defective. Then when I asked if I did this and it still didn't work, would they replace the printer only to be informed that Brother still would not. This is my first time buying a Brother product and shall be my last.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

There are so many buttons, features, and modes it's utterly confusing for the average consumer. You must connect it thru bluetooth, that needs a password hidden in the owners manual, or it must be connected thru wifi, which also needs a password hidden in the owners manual. I searched high and low thru the manual and found several codes, that did not work. None of the codes were even labeled correctly, it was a wild goose chase with no goose found. The printer won't even let you chose the menu options for the general settings, it comes locked in fax mode and you will ONLY be able to change the fax settings.

Upon trying to change the printer to "Print" mode, I found the only settings available are fax, scan, and copy. Copy does absolutely nothing, and won't even show menu options on the printer. I tried multiple computers trying to connect or find the printer on my network, to no avail. When I first tried to connect, the Brother printer popped up for a split second on my available networks, and then disappeared completely. No matter how many times I try and replicate this, I am unable too. I have installed drivers, turned the printer on and off, unplugged and plugged back in, check all menu settings, and spent over 2 hours trying to problem solve on various forums and help threads. Absolute disgraceful. This product is so difficult to use.

A printer should perform the most basic functionalities currently available. Print, connect, and on and of. Brother printers are over-designed and over-complicated so much that the average consumer will not be able to use this product out of the box. It will give you much more of a headache than serve its purpose of printing. Avoid Brother products like the plague, unless you want to return the product a couple hours after purchase. I went back to Walmart and purchased an HP Printer for $50 more, and I am overly impressed. The ease of use shoves Brother products onto the disgraced corner. They are seriously THAT bad. Avoid, avoid, avoid, avoid.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brother Printers?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

They don't take any ownership even within warranty! Garbage customer service, won’t buy any product from this company ever again. Terrible product and terrible customer service. We will take legal advice to deal with this company as it looks like they are very irresponsive to solve the problems.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

0a-A Printer SAGA ##### I purchased a Brother MFC-L2750DW as my older Brother printer quit on me. I followed the quick setup Guide and installed it. And printed about 150 pages then the Cartridge was empty. At this point I decide to Register the machine. I found the serial number on the box, then on the inside where the drum/cartridge goes and behind the printer!! So I was certain to have the correct number The printer said “NO” wrong number. I then went for help where I purchase the machine. I did not get any help except given the following phone Number (1-888-404-0505) which I called as I was told it was Brother Support. I then was shuffled to 3 different people to help me register the machine all of which was absolutely useless. In the meantime someone succeeded to sell me a protection program worth $249.95 US.

After spending hours on the phone and getting nowhere I said I was ending the call and I wanted reimbursement for the so call help service. After arguing back and forth I was told I would be reimbursed. Next there was $10600.00 added to my account. I got a frantic warning that he had made a mistake and I was to return him $9000.00 Cash. I argued about how I could do that so next, my bank account was emptied to $0.00. I was then threatened and after strong discussion I was told he had a change of mind and he would put the money back in my account. But I had to promise to send him the $9000.00 cash. He gave me the following phone no (717-388-0792) to call him when I got the money from the bank and he would tell me how to send it to him.

When I got to the bank, the services were closed but somebody tried to help me anyway. The money was in my account which made me happy until I was informed that the money in my checking account came from a transfer from my Marge of credit. This is my printer SAGA and I am still hoping for my service plan reimbursement!!! A sucker Born every minutes!!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

The printer's "cleaning" will devour cartridges and the refuse to print anything unless all of the cartridges have ink. If you use the printer for printing in B&W only it will still cost $100 to $200 a year in color ink cartridges due to the frequent "cleaning" and then not let you print in black until it new color cartridges are installed.

Printing in color is pathetic. Tan colors get printed as bright magenta. Nothing looks natural and after 10-15 attempts with different settings you will realize that the color "feature" is nothing more than a means to waste expensive ink. I would take a dot matrix printer from the 90's over this crap Brother printer that cost nearly $700.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I opened a brand new Brother printer, downloaded their Wizard program and found the language vague and inexact enough that it forced me to call the help line. The wait was at least 10 minutes, so I logged on to chat. The chatbot asked a few questions to narrow down things and then a pay screen popped up. I would have to pay to get my printer to work. That's when I decided to rebox the printer and bring it back to buy an Epson. I've never EVER been unable to just plug in a printer and after a few keystrokes been printing documents.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I replaced color ink and noted the day I replaced it. I didn't print anything with colors. All I print is black. Less than 2 months later it stopped printing because RED color is empty and Yellow is on its way to empty. I just need to print in black. Why do they make you replace all colors if all I need is black. Not honest. Will never buy Brother again.

Brother Printers author review by ConsumerAffairs

Brother is a technology company that was originally developed and headquartered in Nagoya Japan in 1908. Today, the company is known for making imaging devices, including printers, faxes and more.

• Mobile options: Brother is one of the few companies that sells individuals mobile printers that can be used on the go.

• Ink options: The company has a wide variety of products available, including laser printers in black and white, and inkjet printers in black and white.

• Award winning: Brother printers regularly win overall satisfaction awards from customers in PCMag.com's Readers' Choice Awards, which means that customers tend to be satisfied overall with the printers that the company makes.

• Environmental programs: Brother has launched environmental programs in the U.S. and globally in order to ensure that their environmental footprint is as small as possible. The company's sustainable efforts include things like eco-friendly product development and used-product collection programs.

• Specialized options: Brother creates and sells very specialized products like high-capacity garment printers, which most printing companies do not sell.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team