2.76/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 25, 2018

61 Brother Printers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 25, 2018

Very poor print quality. I have to run the clean printer head every time I use the printer. Considering I'm in an Office and print 20-30 sheets a day. POOR Customer service! I will never advise any one to buy or use a MFC - J5730DW.

Original review: April 13, 2018

We are showing error in printer print-09 on display then call to Brother customer service. Arrange call back but no call back. Whole day in evening complain closed without any call & visit. I try contact no. 1-800-209-8904 but that are computer close for today and start again on Saturday. All 4 day missing after Tuesday to Friday. Again call head office no. 91-22-66708900. No one help. No I feel to our printer just print only 10000 pages and quality of product very low don't prefer printer in future.

Get expert buying tips about Printers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I got this printer (MFC-J4410DW) free through the Amazon Vine program, where manufacturers give out products in order to get customers to try them. For about a year, it worked fine - not ink clogs, no paper jams, good print quality. However, even from day 1, it had an annoying habit of frequently dropping off our wireless network, even though I have the printer sitting physically right next to the router. Moreover, in the 5 years we have owned it, we have gone through 3 different Windows machines with Win XP, Win 7 and Win 8, and a MacBook Pro with OS/X on it, and 3 different routers, and the printer behaved exactly the same with all of them. Even manually assigned the printer a fixed IP in the router did not solve the problem.

After about year 2, the problems started piling up. The printer would just vanish from a machine, requiring a complete reinstall of the Brother driver to get it back, until one day, the driver installation itself just failed (with some cryptic error message and string of hex digits from the Windows installer that are of no use). So now, on that particular machine, I have had to dig into the lower-level Brother .inf driver files and do a manual driver install to get it to work. This got the printer working, but left me without any of the Brother apps, so the scanning works only through a generic Windows control panel and there is no Brother Control Center 4 anymore.

And STILL... Pretty much any time we go to use it, we have to power the printer off and on again in order to get it back on the network. The ink heads became so clogged that I had to use a paper towel soaked with Windex, place below the head assembly, hence sliding the head assembly back and forth over the paper toweling, to get color printing to work again. The printer has the dreaded "Ink Absorber Near Full" warning - because there is a pad and a tank inside, where all the waste ink goes whenever you clean the heads. However, there is no practical way to empty the tank. You must replace it, which means disassembling the whole printer and buying a replacement tank from Brother for about 30 bucks. I will be buying a new printer. The only reason I put up with it this long is that we don't print all that much and it was free.

Original review: March 31, 2018

OMG!!! The worst piece of crap money can buy!!! It's as expensive and frustrating of using as completely useless. Ink goes and no other colour prints, ink cartridges don't get full when refilled, stop printing before even 20% off, and... EVERY TIME YOU TURN IT OFF HAVE TO REINSTALL THE DRIVERS!!! UNHELPFUL in the "customer services"... and THEY WON'T GIVE US A REPLACEMENT. What can I say, I only wish I would have read your reviews guys before paying for this rubbish!!!

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have never had a printer that I have hated as much as this one (Brother Printer MPC J 4800W). Just like other reviews of Brother printers, if ONE ink cartridge is low (and one ALWAYS is) it won’t print. And it eats ink. I hardly use color if at all and I'm constantly having to replace color cartridges. Other printers I have had would allow you to print using the grayscale if color was low. NOT THIS PIECE OF GARBAGE. And the cartridges show at least 25% left. I'm thinking about running over it with my car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brother Printers?

Original review: March 23, 2018

I bought this printer (MFC-L8900CDW) with the silly notion that if I printed 99% black, I would not have to replace printer cartridges every week. I assumed that if I did not use yellow, for instance, the changing of one of the four ink cartridges could be delayed. My experience... I printed about 1000 pages, 1000 envelopes and used a little blue. The blue indicated it needed a change, albeit too soon. I assumed these were 'starter' cartridges... a different scam.

So, I ordered the blue and waited a week. It printed 28 more pages and both the yellow and red scream for my attention. The black says 50% full. What the hell guys... you've got me throwing hazardous waste away and it WAS NOT USED. You hijacked my process by programming this printer to demand actions not needed. That smells like fraud and perhaps a good class action lawsuit on behalf of those of us who need to print, but are disgusted by this waste. Not to mention the millions of dollars you make perpetrating a fraud. Stop... I'm counting these and I'm looking for co-defendants. This is wrong and I read other reviews that tell me you must know this. I should have, shame on me... we need to meet. Nice printer when it isn't stealing from me. Shame on BROTHER!

Original review: March 9, 2018

The Brother Printer has been a reliable workhorse at my office. Print quality and output speed is acceptable, and the initial cost was reasonable compared to the better known brands.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Problems with Brother MFC 480DW Printer - If you want to constantly have problems and/or going to Office Depot or Best Buy for ink then by all means purchase a Brother Printer... I am sick to death of the sneaky business tactics of this company. You cannot buy any other less expensive replacement ink because it won't work... This printer will also not work if ANY color is out even though you are printing in black. I printed less than 25 pages in the last two months and I am already out of black ink!!!! No warning... Won't print anything!!!! I guess Brother thinks people are stupid and can't figure this out... All I can say is in the long run Brother loses because it's a ONE AND DONE!

Original review: March 8, 2018

Great rapid and efficient worthwhile phone support when problems arise. The few problems that have arisen have been solved by friendly, understandable phone support "experts" in a short amount of time.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Great color laser and toner seems to last forever plus print quality is excellent. Only minor complaint is that the printer will sometimes go to sleep and not wake up on request. You have to power cycle to get it back online.

Original review: March 6, 2018

This black and white laser printer that has operated flawlessly for over 3 years without any problems of any kind. It is easy to operate and replace toner and the toner price is about the same as ink cartridges for inkjet printers but prints thousands of pages.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I have had my Brother MFC Wireless Printer Scanner for over seven years and it is still going strong. Long lasting toner and drums make it economical to use.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Over 5 years old and have never had a problem. Low initial cost and replacement ink lasts a long time. It inspired both my wife and son to obtain one.

Original review: March 1, 2018

We use an old fashion black & white printer, and have it for years. At times, it is difficult to replace the toner. Additionally, every now and then the paper get stuck.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I have owned several printers, but my last 2 were Brother. One was a multifunction inkjet and my current one is a laser printer. I like that Brother has the individual ink cartridges so you don't have to throw out a cartridge just because one of the colors in it ran out. I have found that the laser printer is very economical and you get a large number of pages with one toner cartridge. Also, the printing is very sharp. I would recommend this brand to anyone looking for a good quality printer.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

The Brother MFC 7860DW has been a major printer for small office. The PC software is relatively easy to use and makes remote printing and faxing a breeze.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

This is an older version of Brother, but has always worked fine for me, always used HP prior to that, they got way too expensive and less reliable. The other good thing about Brother is the ink is reasonably priced.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I use Brother Printers for my company and Home. They work great and we have next to no trouble with them. Varying from black and white to full color machines.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

The Brother printer that I bought is a much more reliable printer than the HP that I owned and went bad in less than a year. Easy to use and does a lot more functions - booklets, double-sided etc etc.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

My experience with Brother Printers is, you seem to get more for your money. Especially compared to the bigger named printers like Hewlett Packard. Also fairly easy design to work on.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

This is a terrible printer because most of the time it reports it's out of ink in at least one ink cartridge. It requires 4 separate ink cartridges. Will never own a Brother printer again!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

New Printer Laser/scanner wireless - Set up easy enough, but no way to test print page (that I could find). Manual is useless as is online manual. Tried for an hour to find a telephone number for Brother. Zero success. Tried to register product with the correct s/n and refused to take it! Black streak down right hand side of page when printing - no advice anywhere (in manual or online) on how to make necessary adjustments. I can only conclude Brother run a lousy business model, with dimwits in charge

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

#HL-L2320D. Had 3 Brother printers & other products in the past, all great. Things have gone downhill @ Brother. The printer now is a horror. Envelope prints crooked, and wrinkled.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I ordered a replacement toner. The printer did not recognize the toner and the helpdesk person asked it to be reset. Though it was done, it started printing black streaks on paper. Contacting Brother support is not easy, as they seem to hide behind Chat. After spending over an hour with the person on Chat, she said, toner has be to be replaced even though 96% of life was left. I asked Brother to send a replacement, which she refused, as it was reset originally. Just frustrating dealing with people who do not understand. Though I wasted my time, I want to follow through to ensure no one else need to deal with this kind of poor service. My business as we grow will invest in other printers, but not Brother anymore.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Au contraire to the reviews of Brother Printers. My experience has been quite different! I have had my Brother MFC9330CDW Wireless All-in-One Color Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax since January 8, 2018, and have had no problems. It comes with toner cartridges and...

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

You can't print only in black. They make you buy colored ink even if you're not using it, and it prints bad and every night I have to turn off the printer 'cause it wants to tune itself up every night at 1 or 2 am. This is by far the worst printer I have ever bought. I tried to resell it on Craigslist, and nobody is stupid enough to buy it so I throw it away. 450.00 and it's junk.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

MFC-J885DW. Relatively new printer - less than 2 years old. Terrible printer - extremely slow. This printer will not print in BW even when the black cartridge is full. I updated the firmware, powered on/off, and followed all the on-screen instructions Brother provided. The printer is not overused and there are no other problems. To temporarily print you have to eject the yellow cartridge (even though it is not needed to print in black and white) and the printer will then print one time in black and white. In other words, Brother industries wants you to buy all the cartridges just to print in black and white. This is a Terrible Printer. Never Buy a Brother or Epson Product!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I have heard cases where a few other printer companies drew some heat for seemingly scamming customers with the printer cartridges expiring well before they are truly out of ink. I have had my Brother MFC-J680DW for about a year and have printed less than 50 pages, yet all colors are 100% empty. Not even one, but all at the exact same time. No way this is true. Has Brother come under any fire as other companies have by doing something untrustworthy with cartridges?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I purchased this Brother ledger size printer. Used it once. It was several months before I used it again (not ink injectors dry or ink dry. I am aware of this) and several months after that before I addressed the issue. The Brother online chat sent me a detailed deep clean instruction that I tried... To no avail. As I was past the warranty the emails were all they could do for me. I tried contacting them again and they claim I never entered the online chat system and claim they never sent me emails. As my server deletes emails after a while, I could not verify my claim. End of story...nothing they can do. I paid $220 on sale. This was not a disposable ($50) printer.

A month ago I paid $90 to find out it’s garbage. Last time I buy any more inferior Brother printers. Maybe some models are passable but this particular machine is garbage. My experience with Brother was horrible. It seems like one fast point of sale, they could care less about you. (I will post model no. as soon as I contact the repair place. The machine was left for electronic waste so I don’t have it with me).

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

We bought a Brother printer and after a year it was not printing showing faded copies. We bought toner as indicated and it still did not work. My husband bought a drum and brought it to Office Depot and they said we needed a new printer. He then tried to call the company and they hung up on him three times and were rude. I will never buy a brother printer again and the people in customer service should be fired since they are rude and hang up on customers.

Brother Printers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Brother is a technology company that was originally developed and headquartered in Nagoya Japan in 1908. Today, the company is known for making imaging devices, including printers, faxes and more.

• Mobile options: Brother is one of the few companies that sells individuals mobile printers that can be used on the go.

• Ink options: The company has a wide variety of products available, including laser printers in black and white, and inkjet printers in black and white.

• Award winning: Brother printers regularly win overall satisfaction awards from customers in PCMag.com's Readers' Choice Awards, which means that customers tend to be satisfied overall with the printers that the company makes.

• Environmental programs: Brother has launched environmental programs in the U.S. and globally in order to ensure that their environmental footprint is as small as possible. The company's sustainable efforts include things like eco-friendly product development and used-product collection programs.

• Specialized options: Brother creates and sells very specialized products like high-capacity garment printers, which most printing companies do not sell.

• Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs