3.47/5
Based on 65 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

91 Brother Printers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 13, 2018

Customer service with these call centers are the worst ever, undertrained, receptionists saying they are tech people, outright liars. Always wanting to get your personal information, so they can rob you blind. Do not talk to these people, they are not to be trusted. In some cases they are children impersonating their parents. Terrible the way the world is going.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Brother MFC-l2707DW - Previously I owned HP all in ones and they were okay except I felt the ink was expensive. Finally the printer head needed to be replaced so I said the heck with it. I will get a new one. I was impressed by the fact that Brother offered support for as long as you own the machine whereby other companies charge you after a year. So far the machine has impressed us. It is quiet, fast and creates a nice crisp copy. I have used the scan and fax options and again, very pleased with the outcome. I found that this copier was very easy to set up. Before purchasing I made sure it was compatible with Windows 10 so I didn't have any extra work there. So to us, it works like a charm. Glad we purchased it.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 3, 2018

Brother Printers, or at least the one I have, is INCOMPATIBLE with Apple Computers and they will NOT refund or replace my printer. Furthermore, I have tried EVERYTHING ON EARTH to make this printer work, including calling customer service probably 12 - 15 times. Each time they have LIED to me. The reason I know this is because I get a DIFFERENT story each time I call. I am FURIOUS. I gave them EVERY CHANCE to handle this honestly. They are CROOKS.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have used somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 Brother laser printers in a small business & home/personal settings. I been pleasantly disappointed that they would not fail so that I could update to the newest bells & whistles! I will always look to Brother for the latest & greatest. Love the online availability of support!

Original review: June 15, 2018

I have had the Brother HL-2040 laser printer for a few years now and it has proven to be quite reliable. I would definitely purchase another in the future.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brother Printers?

Original review: June 14, 2018

This is an easy to use machine that can copy, scan, fax easily and quickly with little preparation even for a first time user. I highly recommend this machine. I appreciate the laser quality too.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I've had a Brother All-In-One Printer for well over 10 years that has had zero problems with faxing, copying or printing. It can scan as well but I have not mastered that since I do not do a lot of it. Would buy another Brother without hesitation if and when this guy stops working for me.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I had a Brother Laser Printer for ten years, it provided excellent service and was 100% reliable. It did require a toner cartridge at about five years, which cost the equivalent of 3-4 ink cartridges. Excellent!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I bought a DCP-L2550DW printer all-in-one. The printer connected to my Mac for printing only. It will not scan, and the printer will not connect to my Microsoft laptop. I am so disappointed in Brother, a company I thought was the best. Ambiguous instructions and instruction that do not work. I tried working with the website with absolutely no help. I guess my only option is to return the printer.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Very good quality printing in both black and white as well as color. I can't see using another other than a portable one that is carried with a laptop, using possibly wireless.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I have a Brother MFC-J480DW and with the larger capacity ink cartridges the ink last like forever and the quality is good enough for me and it's a 4 function printer. It also has the ADF feature and the feed tray holds at least 120 pages and is easy to load. Don't know about picture quality but it's a lot cheaper to use then the Epson I had before this one.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I have 2 Brother printers. Each is over 10 years old. One is a toner and the other is an ink-jet. They still work very well. I have not had any problems with either of them.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Brother printer uses too much ink. And it seems that ink cartridges do not print as many pages as I would expect. Otherwise this is a relatively low cost printer that does what one would expect it to do.

Original review: June 6, 2018

We purchased this Brother MFC-9840 CDW laser printer on the recommendation of a friend in the technology business. He was right. We spend less on toner than we did on ink. We probably purchased "over" what we needed, but we haven't regretted it. We love this printer.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have been more than satisfied with Brother and have owned at least one of all the big name printers at one time or another. I have three models of Brother now and they have serve me very well with consistent usage.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I have had two Brother printers over the last 15 years and have been very satisfied. My Wife is the Church Secretary and she gets a lot done on a cartridge of ink. We very rarely have to buy Toner, so I'm happy.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Brother is the only printer that I can refill the cartridges. The others count drops and will not reset. Brother measures with a float and can be reset after cartridges are refilled.

Original review: June 2, 2018

My Brother automatically cleans itself and is ready to go whenever needed. It takes about 40 sheets of paper, enough for my uses. Ink cartridges are easy to replace. Has good prices for them.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I have the LC201, the wifi is spotty, I have to turn the printer off and on if it has been sitting idle for a while, but it does work and print well. And the scanner works fine as well. THE real crime here is that the ink cartridges are Empty when they get down to half full, and the printer will not print in black and white if ANY color is empty. And even when printing in black and white, it still uses Cyan, so it is always going empty. And don't worry, the required program you have to download to use the printer, will spam you with pop up reminders about how you need to order ink from them online. I want my old 2002 $20 HP inkjet printer back. Before they started screwing me over on the most expensive liquid on the planet.

Original review: June 1, 2018

We have had it for over 10 years. I love my printer, fax, copier and scanner. I can't remember ever having to have it repaired. My daughter replaces any cartridges it needs, etc.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Brother has a wonderful product and amazing customer service. When I was unable to get my printer to work properly due to an issue with the heads, Brother sent me a new printer free of charge. Amazing!

Original review: May 30, 2018

Every Brother printer that I have owned, lived up to my expectations. I have used HP in the past but the ink runs out too fast, Epson was a good quality printer like Brother.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Overall reliable with good quality printing. Does however, get hot rapidly & difficult to find the proper colored inks in one place ("generics" do not work) when cartridges need replacing.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Shop assistant worked for Brother although the store took my money, so I was told later it had no warranty. Problems with ink. Kept leaking unless I kept it strictly horizontal. Now I can no longer buy ink for this model so it has to be trashed.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Sold by Staples but seems like older unit as not all MAC drivers available. I don’t understand how You purchase a new unit but drivers are an issue. Probably will never ever again go to Staples. Spent many hours on Brother support line for help which is good.

Original review: May 26, 2018

When my HP printer all in one finally died I decided to go with Brother because it seemed to have all I wanted and the ink was cheaper. But it is not user friendly at all and I have constant problems with it. Too many commands too to go through and if you make a mistake you have to do it all over again. When I was setting it up it did not recognize my computer at all and the instructions on the disk were not clear. At times it stops recognizing my computer and I have to go through the process again, needless to say when I am ready I will not be buying another Brother.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I have had this Brother printer about 6 months, and it has functioned efficiently. I am not using cartridges, and seem to get more copies with this printer. It is a monochromatic laser model which works out well for me, as I don't require color printing. The speed of print is good, and the copies are clear. The only issue I have with the printer (which I was aware of), is that it does not scan. With another printer, I would purchase the scan feature. Overall, the printer performs well.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have had this Brother MFS-7820N All-In-One for over 10 years and has never failed to do its job. Clean and sharp copies, faxing reliably and scanning quality which amazes me at how clear the scans are for such a senior machine. While it only prints in black and white, it scans in perfect color. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Original review: May 20, 2018

This is my second Brother printer. I say the second one because I had to replace the first one after 4 years with a Canon which lasted a year so I went back to Brother Printers now with the WiFi. I recommend to check out a Brother Printers first. Low cost, low maintenance, excellent quality.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Brother Printers seems to be very economical compared to the other printers I've used. It is less helpful than other brands in getting different sizes of paper to work.

Brother Printers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Brother is a technology company that was originally developed and headquartered in Nagoya Japan in 1908. Today, the company is known for making imaging devices, including printers, faxes and more.

• Mobile options: Brother is one of the few companies that sells individuals mobile printers that can be used on the go.

• Ink options: The company has a wide variety of products available, including laser printers in black and white, and inkjet printers in black and white.

• Award winning: Brother printers regularly win overall satisfaction awards from customers in PCMag.com's Readers' Choice Awards, which means that customers tend to be satisfied overall with the printers that the company makes.

• Environmental programs: Brother has launched environmental programs in the U.S. and globally in order to ensure that their environmental footprint is as small as possible. The company's sustainable efforts include things like eco-friendly product development and used-product collection programs.

• Specialized options: Brother creates and sells very specialized products like high-capacity garment printers, which most printing companies do not sell.

• Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs