2.69/5
  • 1 star
Based on 32 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 16, 2017

32 Brother Printers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

We bought a Brother printer and after a year it was not printing showing faded copies. We bought toner as indicated and it still did not work. My husband bought a drum and brought it to Office Depot and they said we needed a new printer. He then tried to call the company and they hung up on him three times and were rude. I will never buy a brother printer again and the people in customer service should be fired since they are rude and hang up on customers.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Bought a Brother MFC-L5850DW in February 2017. Been have problems with it for a while and they said it's not under warranty and SquareTrade tells me I have to go through them. I will never buy another Brother printer again. I will go with HP from now on.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

This Brother MFC-J5720DW printer blows and customer service isn’t much better. Clogs seem to be common and went through (2x) ink cartridges before using a single ream of paper. Machine stopped printing in black & white because the nearly new yellow ink cartridge ran out. I cancelled printing after a half hour when only a third of the page in the retrieval tray was printed because a single page couldn’t be completed even with a cable connection. What a waste of money. Bought an Epson, I suggest you do the same.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

This is my 2nd Brother all-in-one printer. The first failed me also. I didn't have/use but about 4.5 months and the printer would disconnect from WiFi. I contacted Brother; They walked me through the process to see if the printer prints. OF COURSE it printed if I printed from the copier itself but it would go on and off line with the WiFi. I paid a professional $100 to get me back online after being off over a week. It worked some and then went offline again. I finally purchased another printer. I was told it was my WiFi. This is not correct because the Brother printer I had before this one printed via WiFi and the printer I have now prints via WiFi. I am stuck with a faulty printer that cost over $500. It sits unplugged in the floor of my office. I HIGHLY WARN YOU NOT TO PURCHASE A BROTHER PRINTER.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I purchased ink cartridges compatible to Brother brand cartridges, and after original Brother ink cartridges went dry, I replaced them one by one, blue, yellow, and magenta. No problems with blue. The yellow took a reinstall for the printer to recognize it, but it worked flawlessly until it came time to replace the magenta cartridge. Magenta simply would not work. I kept getting the same message to try installing, so I tried rebooting the printer but still the same message. Next, I removed all 4 cartridges and reinstalled. Magenta was finally "recognized" but now I was having the same problem with the yellow ink. After a reinstall, the printer said the cartridge was empty... Which I could see was clearly not the case.

Next, I called Customer Support. After giving the guy my name, address, email, phone number, etc., he tried to troubleshoot the issue until he found out I was not using Brother ink cartridges. No more help for me until I installed a yellow Brother brand ink cartridge, even after I told him the cartridge had been working with no problems. So next I told him I wanted to bypass color ink printing, but apparently there is no way to only print using black ink if any of the color cartridges are empty. I find that hard to believe, and if this is true, I would advise against purchasing a Brother Printer (model MFC-J985DW).

After all the frustration, I found the empty Brother yellow ink cartridge, and after I installed it and got the printer to "recognize" it, I tried reinstalling the compatible cartridge. After one try, it is working and my printer is back in service! I am not the kind of person who generally writes bad reviews, and I won't be throwing out my printer (I actually like it) but I just thought I would give someone a heads up before buying one. Beware that if you buy anything but Brother ink cartridges and you run into a problem, you are on your own. Oh, and you can't buy color ink for this printer at Staples... At least not the store near me; I tried.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brother Printers?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I worked for over an hour and a half, on trying to get this crummy product (BROTHER MFC-J480DW printer) to run with your associate Winter. She was lovely but in the end it still didn't work. I had to keep taking the paper out, put it back in wipe it down, re-stack my paper, turn it off, turn it on, plug it into a wall, plug it into the surge protector. Repeatedly put on and off hold. I wanted to scream - It has never printed from DAY ONE NEVER!! I am even more disappointed/ ticked off with this crappy product than before. First I had to give my credit card number in order to receive another crappy "REFURBISHED" MODEL not a new model so that is sure to be another nightmare. But I will turn it off and on and unplug it. Maybe blow into the back for magic!!

Secondly for not being able to print my starter ink cartridges are low, when I asked if Brother could replace them at their expense - finally do something for the customer, I was told I was free to purchase more ink at my expense once my refurbished piece of crap comes. Aren't they generous and customer focused?!! I plan on hitting every website and blog to WARN anyone that might be considering making the mistake of purchasing this crappy machine about the machine and the crappy customer service. Really, times are so hard you can't replace ink to attempt to make your customer happy? Talk about insult to injury. Brother may have gotten my money, but I hope others research and don't waste their money like I did. I promise I will never make the same mistake again, and if I can I will warn as many people as I can to not purchase this crap.

Original review: June 20, 2017

Spent 1-hour with an "Agent" who when their algorithm got cut off had to repeat the call. Spent another 1-hour with another "agent", who then said they would have to refer me to a tech. Total of 2 hour spent getting no help. Agents frequently had to get off the phone to check something. Finally told that they would have a "Tech" call me back. The Techs were on break. Are you kidding me? After two hours of being on the phone. The Tech never did call back until several hours later. By that time I was in my car. Very disappointed in Brother service. Their slogan is "Brother at your side". Not any brother I would want at my side.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I purchased a used all in one printer. The CD was out of date and of no use. I have an iMac and attempting to figure out how was such a challenge. I called tech support. They told me to bring it to a repair center. There's nothing wrong, it's just a connection issue. I am sure the printer makes the noise like it's printing but splits out blank pages. I have called Apple, Brother's support line x5 still issue remains.

Original review: May 27, 2017

JUNK!! I bought two for different homes. They both developed the same problem, a common one with Brother it seems. The machine cannot recognize new print cartridges and refuses to operate. It will also force popup windows declaring that fact on every computer on your network, making them all difficult to use unless one uninstalls the Brother programming! Brother support is worse than useless... even rude. Their only solution is to offer a new cartridge, that arrives (and doesn't work either) in 4-5 days.

Original review: April 29, 2017

We purchased an MFC-9130CW printer and have not been able to get it to work - The customer service is beyond horrible - Beyond insulting actually - This printer has never worked as a wireless printer and I would recommend no one ever buying Brother products as they do not try to fix them and hang you on the phone forever - Telling you that they will return the call from supervision that never happens. I personally will never buy a Brother product again. The products do not work and the service is worse.

Original review: April 21, 2017

Cannot fill out shipping info on website (they are working on it!), then I phoned in with my Visa. They put it through, said it was declined (it was deducted, not declined - had an authorization # from Visa) and product not sent. Takes a week to get money back from Visa. Horrible service. Oh, and they are working on their Visa payments system too...

Original review: April 11, 2017

I purchased my all in one printer less than a year ago when I started having issues. I called tech services and troubleshoot with them off & on for a month & they still do not want to honor my manufacturer warranty! They still want to troubleshoot! I'm beyond upset! They have wasted many days of work for my small company. I will never purchase a Brothers product again! They are a big joke! They said on 4 occasions that next level tech will call me within 5 minutes to start warranty process and well it's been 3 days, SMH. Don't waste your money on any Brothers products because you will be disappointed and very frustrated to say the least!

Original review: April 7, 2017

Brother Printer HLL8350CDW - I take great issue with misleading advertising and product descriptions. We reviewed four printers that fit the needs of my home office. One included a scanner. In all of the descriptions on Amazon and product reviews, Brother refers to "I-scan." The company did not once offer a straightforward and truthful description, "there is no scanner." I even had my tech guy review before placing the order! Today, we unpacked the printer only to discover there is no scanner in this printer. "I-scan" is an available app to download onto our phones to send documents to a printer. I was enthused about getting a printer that fit all of the needs of this office. This cynical way of doing business? I will see to it that no Brother product enters my home office or business.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

Brother MFC-J6920DW - This is my first and last Brother purchase. I've had this printer for nearly 6 months and I've had at least 4 1-hour+ conversations. Each time it appears the problem is solved, and 12-24 hours later, I find it is not. I need to reset the printer 1-4 times/day. Even then, I can't always get it to print. I've given Brother the benefit of the doubt, tried to let them fix the problem. I don't have endless hours to get a printer working. What happened to technology working to our benefit? This printer has taken HOURS from my life. As a patient who has a fatal cancer, those hours actually matter...

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I called three times yesterday for help with my brother printer. All three times I was hung up on by three different people. I am not sure if this is corporate guidelines, but listen to the tapes, if you record help desk calls. I am handicapped and felt this was very poor customer service to any customer, unless it is a corporate standard for help desk service.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

I purchased the Brother printer from Office Depot, it seemed easy to use setup and fired up and worked great until the next time I went to print. I wound up resetting the printer. It printed fine. Then stopped again. I repeated this process until of weeks of resetting I decided to get to the bottom of it. After hours of troubleshooting, I discovered that it disconnects from the wireless router. I tried several different option in the setup of the printer, looked online for similar issues, tried their fixes. Nothing. I still have to reset the printer or re-run the wifi setup wizard to make this thing print.

I called Tech Support, their answer was to run it on a USB or replace my wifi router. It had to be the issue...I was told it had to be changing IP addresses. What a load of crap! I argued for a few moments that all other 27 devices connected wireless to the router were not having an issue. I soon realized that I was not talking to a person capable of communicating on a level of support needed to correct the issue.

I have tried three times and ended with pretty much the same results. The last probably being the best conversation because the tech on the phone admitted that the printer was the issue but simply did not know how to fix. His recommendation was to use the printer with a USB cable, share the printer on the computer it is connected to which I am conceding to doing. I have spent an extraordinary amount of time trying to use the wifi and just simply give up. I will correct the issue when I use up the ink. Then it is new printer time. Aside from the connection issue, I like the printer, but this has made me re-think using a Brother printer.

Original review: March 9, 2016

I don't care for their customer support at all! Everything is about the almighty dollar. Even if you're calling to ask a simple question, their first response is, "You need to purchase a warranty plan"! My printer STILL isn't working & I have yet to find out why! I really don't remember since it's only worked about 4-5 months out of the almost 2 years I've had it. It has a fax, but I don't know how to set it up or the wireless capability it supposedly has. Since it's not working, I wouldn't say it's reliable at all! I wouldn't recommend it!!

Original review: March 9, 2016

I have required printer driver updates and I used their support sites to find them. I found navigating the site to be effortless. Very clear print quality. Very economical on cartridge use. I use HL 5370DW and MFC-J870DW. I have a small business and I really use my printers. They are economical and are good value for money. It seems as if you really challenge the printer it will outperform many others available. I have tried and for me Brother has excelled beyond belief.

Original review: March 9, 2016

I used the manual. When I replaced the black ink cartridge, the computer no longer was communicating with my PC, so I had to figure out how to get that back working. Tedious. It goes through ink quickly. The price was what got me to buy this, but I would rather have spent a few more dollars for a more efficient and quiet printer. If I had known it was so slow and so noisy I would made other choices.

Original review: March 9, 2016

I have not needed customer support. The printer is awesome. We use this printer in our office and we really work it, probably more than it is designed to do but it has never given us any issues. It tells us when the parts need to be replaced and they are readily available. The value in this printer is that we have had it for many years and foresee many more years of use. The printer has never broken down. I highly recommend the Brother MFC-9970CDW.

Original review: March 9, 2016

This is my 3rd Brother and I have never had to call. My last 2 Brothers have been B&W laser printers and I find it very crisp. My Brother is price competitive with other brands. This is my 3rd Brother - my 1st one was so old the software was on a floppy and became obsolete. My 2nd was destroyed during a move to another state and this is my 3rd. I only buy Brother products.

Original review: March 9, 2016

Color often not as seen on the screen. Difficulty printing different size paper and envelopes. Still trying to set up wireless printing after a year plus. Frequently tells me there is a paper jam when there is not a paper jam. Cannot print glossy paper at all. Guess I am supposed to buy their brand of paper to make it work. Do not plan to do that. Would not buy again.

Original review: March 2, 2016

Software based customer support never had to call them. Top Notch quality Brother value shines. The fact it is a laser printer and that it has a scanner and copier built in. I use it so many times to type and printout stuff for school, work, and personal issues. It even helped me print out my resumes and directions before I got a gps for my car. Nowadays since I use a smart phone GPS is obsolete too. I have this printer for a span of 8-10 years. Most inkjet printers I had in the past are thrown out or is in the trash because of dust buildup or clogged inkjet cartridges. It comes with a starter toner but buying a replacement toner is pretty cheap. You do not even need for it to be a Brother Branded one.

Original review: March 2, 2016

Who has time to call for customer support every time there is a printing issue?! With this printer that has been every time I go to use it! Tray is a nightmare.. too sensitive, not user friendly for layout of different size papers. Repeated messages for each use instead of just printing. Paper tray is not easy to figure out orientation of different paper sizes. Has error messages which are a mystery (paper scraps??) Takes on the average 40 minutes to print out one 4x6. My son-in-law has same issues with the same model. Could someone please just design a simple printer that actually prints?! And more than 10 photos without having to purchase a new ink cartridge?

Original review: March 2, 2016

Their website was somewhat helpful. Both current and previous Brother printers have given consistently good print quality. My Brother MFC printer's replacement is going on two years. Keep ink in it and it will keep on printing. The availability of cheap aftermarket ink makes these printers an incredible bargain. The first one lasted 8 years and many thousands of pages - I consider that exceptional. I particularly like that the current MFC printer is capable of duplex printing. The convenience of one device that prints and scans (and faxes) is something I now consider mandatory.

Original review: March 2, 2016

Cs recommended that I NOT scan up B&W negatives and later negate and print as photos as I might get unsatisfactory results! I know I could waste a sheet of paper and a tiny amount of black ink. Worked fine on an old roll film negative. Shakes less than my old Brother MFC295CN which I replaced w/ current J870DW. Both are quality machines. Low price for a MFC printer, copier fax. I was NOT pleased w/ previous printers from others. It NEVER fails to serve me. I am told that quality of Brother is not what it used to be though I would replace w/ another Brother when the time comes.

Original review: March 2, 2016

The printer was so easy to set up and has been so reliable that I actually have never had to contact customer support. It just runs and runs without a problem. As long as I use Brother supplies the print quality is excellent and consistent. Non-Brother toners don't work worth a damn and are always troublesome either because of breaking down, lines or not working out of the box. I had a top of the line Lexmark that was always breaking down and having communications problems. This Brother, at less than 1/3 the price just runs and runs without trouble and always makes excellent prints and copies. It has never broken. The only problem I have ever had occurred with aftermarket non-Brother toners. If you are tired of printer problems, buy a Brother.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

Three stars for the basics: website, reliable driver updates, Mac compatible. They would get more if there were a number I could call, to talk to a tech, who spoke English. Excellent black and white printer. Long toner life, great sheet-fed scanner. Provided drivers are up to date. Would be nice to get an email about driver updates, rather than discovering I need one right in the middle of a rush print or scan job. For the price, it is an excellent value. It works as advertised, and has survived three major Mac OS updates. It works on Windows too. Networking was flawless. It even works wirelessly, at least on the Mac side. Driver for iPad wireless printing still needs some work, but otherwise, great product. It even faxes. Reliable and dependable.

Only issue is driver updates, which should be tied more closely to Mac OS updates. Otherwise, love this printer. It sports a scanner with a document feeder. This is a must-have, if you're archiving volumes of paper documents. The toner seems to last forever. I've had it six years, and I've only replaced the cartridge once, even though I do a lot of printing. Although fax is antiquated technology, some businesses I work with require faxed documents, so it is nice to have this feature.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

We had issues with the printer/scanner working on one laptop (wireless) while not working on the other laptop. We called Brother technical support & they walked us through several problem solving solutions. After 15 minutes the problem was solved. Technical support was courteous, patient and most of all we never got disconnected. Support personnel also appeared to be located within the USA so there were no language barriers. What more could you ask for... Copy & scan features work flawlessly, changing of ink cartridges a snap and the print quality is top notch. It is not a picture printer however we have printed pictures and lo & behold high quality pictures!

Cleaning & maintenance very easy & simple. This printer prints single side, 2 sided up to legal size, labels, envelopes and has a speed feed system for either copying or scanning. Although it also has fax capabilities we do not use this function and cannot give any opinion. We have been using this printer for one year now with no issues other than the previously described connection issue that was solved by technical support. We were always an HP printer/scanner users. We will never go back. (What you need to know is that Brother stands behind their products.) Speaking for ourselves we would recommend this printer for home use.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

Customer support is no longer a person to person contact but rather the ability to get what you need from the company's website. Brother provides a descent amount of info but not all of it is up to date to support the latest version of Windows. It is great for my purposes. The printer handles 11X17 and I use it mainly for large spreadsheets. The text is crisp and clear. I think it is a good value. My issue is soon after you buy an electronics item the price drops immediately and support is rarely updated. I've always had good luck with Brother products and the same is true of this printer. The only problem I've had is with the USB port on the printer. It failed and I had to use network connectivity mode to use it. Other than that, it has worked fine. I like the large size ink cartridges which makes extended use possible between cartridge replacements.

Brother Printers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Brother is a technology company that was originally developed and headquartered in Nagoya Japan in 1908. Today, the company is known for making imaging devices, including printers, faxes and more.

• Mobile options: Brother is one of the few companies that sells individuals mobile printers that can be used on the go.

• Ink options: The company has a wide variety of products available, including laser printers in black and white, and inkjet printers in black and white.

• Award winning: Brother printers regularly win overall satisfaction awards from customers in PCMag.com's Readers' Choice Awards, which means that customers tend to be satisfied overall with the printers that the company makes.

• Environmental programs: Brother has launched environmental programs in the U.S. and globally in order to ensure that their environmental footprint is as small as possible. The company's sustainable efforts include things like eco-friendly product development and used-product collection programs.

• Specialized options: Brother creates and sells very specialized products like high-capacity garment printers, which most printing companies do not sell.

• Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs