2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.57/5

Brother Printers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brother Printers?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brother Printers?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Unable to use new Brother Laser multifunction centre, can’t get it working after installing required multiple drivers for it. I have never before seen a product that requires multiple drivers. Biggest disappointment is that in Canada, I’m unable to get customer service, Brother Canada has large building at 175 Westcreek Blvd in Brampton, 21km distance from me but they only push sales and don’t provide after sale support for new products. Very disappointed as I can’t do anything with a new out of box Brother unit. I have to throw this unit away as I’m unable to get it working or get any Brother Customer Support. In the retrospect, now I see there was a reason Brother units are cheaper than other brand names and I got exactly what I paid for!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

My MFC-L2700DC printer we had just changed the Drum 2 months ago. I am trying to print and keep asking to Replace the Drum. I called their customer service 1-877-276-8437 3 times because the call dropped every time after waiting for over 15 minutes. They give an option to Chat help online, but the website does not show that option. They are using the Covid-19 as an excuse to long waiting but it is just an excuse since Covid-19 does not transmit over the phone.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

I am a licensed attorney to practice law in the State of Arizona. I have had three Brother MFC machines over the past ten years. In my most recent machine, I receive a "replace toner" notice and my machine shuts down entirely. I find that odd, because I calculate my use. I print thousands of pages a year. One time I saw an article on how to "by-pass" the replace toner notice online. Indeed, my toner printed an additional 1500 pages with no interruption. I feel this is designed to force customers to purchase new toners at $90 a piece when they aren't needed at all. This comment is angrily written today, because for the first time in my life, my entire machine shut down and it says "replace drum." I went through this before. I used an online article on how to bypass these warning. I've done it and one drum lasted an entire 1.5 years with no issues at all.

In the past year, I have avoided purchasing five toners and three drums - that were required to be purchased if I followed the directions on my machine. That is about a savings of about $800 because I didn't purchase items I didn't need. I urge everyone to go to the nearest store before you buy a machine. Please notice that the price of an entire machine with a toner and drum is included is almost the same cost as a new toner and drum. It is almost cheaper to buy an entire new machine every time you receive this message than to replace your toner and drum. My drum is perfect. My toner is perfect. My machine is refusing to work and I am using the "bypass replace drum" instructions you see if you google this topic. I am a criminal attorney. I feel this is actually an act of fraud.

I urge this to be posted, I will verify my credentials, and urge Consumer Affairs to contact Brother directly to respond to this post. If I followed the orders my machine tells me - when I am told my drum or toner needed to replace, I would have spent at least an additional $500 in products this year alone. I am a solo attorney. If I saved this much by not replacing things that didn't need to be replaced, what happens to major corporations. And if I had sent every toner and drum to be recycled when told to, think of how much plastic, toner, and paper products would be wasted by discarding the ink in toners, replacing the drum in drum units when they are still perfect, and the use of resources to recycle these products? Brother is not only greedy in this regard, but at a minimum, is hostile to our environment.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

The printer when continuously online/plugged in will self test and self update. When this happens the print cartridges are affected by using ink whether color or black with each update. When one of the cartridges is emptied by this process it must be purchased in order for any other cartridge to work/print. When calling customer service they confirmed our findings. Which means they are profiting through their greed by their updates programmed into the printer. This is not only an inconvenience but more unnecessary money out of our pocket. I'm not sure all printers work this way or just Brother printers but I can tell you we will never buy another Brother printer and will spread the news.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Always find excuses not to cover parts under warranty. When I had a problem with my first printer & the authorized dealer told me it's a fuser problem & it was less than 1 year so I called up to get a new part & they find 70 excuses not to be covered under warranty & now I had the same situation with my new printer which I made a big mistake to buy from Brother again.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

I have had this printer for a few years and it has been a very miserable experience. Even when printing in black, even grayscale, it will make you replace color cartridges that are low. It always wants you to put paper in the multipurpose tray when you have the settings for tray 1. It has very old school software. It forces you to have a time and date stamp in the file name when you scan to your computer. I would not recommend this printer.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I have a Brother MFC J885DW all-in-one printer and have had nothing but trouble with the ink cartridges. I seldom use the printer and when I tried to use it, it indicated I needed to replace two ink cartridges. There is still plenty of ink in the cartridges, but it will not print. I always use the Brother brand replacements and print about 5-10 pages when it indicates replacement of ink is necessary. Terrible waste of money buying cartridges.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I have called recently to the support at Brother concerning my printer losing connection with my laptop. Instead of telling me to restart my wifi and setup wifi connection, he suggested to buy a package of updates for my computer to adjust to the updates of their software. Totally false when I realized that I just had to reconnect the wifi. Would not buy this product in the future with this type of support.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I have bought this MFC-J2320 Inkjet in 2017 and since then, I have only had troubles with this printer. I have used it only sparingly (weekly prints) because it gave me so many troubles from the start. The printing was noisy. WiFi never worked properly. With every restart I need to re-enter WiFi details. Even when the printer is off, it makes weird sounds at night and for someone who has my bedroom next door (It's a home office) it has been a nuisance. The printer guzzled ink. Never gave even 20% of the efficiency it promised. The quality of print steadily declined. The scanning worked fine but it could never save it through wifi, using a pen drive was necessary.

Paper jams are usual business. This afternoon, only after printing less than 30 pages since getting new set of cartridges the ink seems to have died out. I have decided to sell it off as scrap and never get another Brother product in my life. This is an absolutely bitter experience. And the problems weren't limited to one aspect - it seemed this is a poorly designed product. I dislike creating unwanted e-waste, this was the only reason for persisting with this worthless product. If anyone considering this brand of printers, my advice would be to stay away.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I spent 350 on a printer and it's a piece of crap. The printer doesn't cancel print jobs. Days later every time I turn it on it is printing something I have tried to cancel. I cancel it, it stops, then it starts printing again randomly. So much paper and ink has been wasted. Who knows when this thing will start printing, it has a mind of its own. And I didn't press print multiple times or anything, it just does that. I will never buy the Brother brand again.

Brother Printers author review by ConsumerAffairs

Brother is a technology company that was originally developed and headquartered in Nagoya Japan in 1908. Today, the company is known for making imaging devices, including printers, faxes and more.

• Mobile options: Brother is one of the few companies that sells individuals mobile printers that can be used on the go.

• Ink options: The company has a wide variety of products available, including laser printers in black and white, and inkjet printers in black and white.

• Award winning: Brother printers regularly win overall satisfaction awards from customers in PCMag.com's Readers' Choice Awards, which means that customers tend to be satisfied overall with the printers that the company makes.

• Environmental programs: Brother has launched environmental programs in the U.S. and globally in order to ensure that their environmental footprint is as small as possible. The company's sustainable efforts include things like eco-friendly product development and used-product collection programs.

• Specialized options: Brother creates and sells very specialized products like high-capacity garment printers, which most printing companies do not sell.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team