2. Miscellaneous

3.8/5 (264 ratings)

About Brother Printers

Brother Printers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brother Printers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brother Printers?

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

This has been a great printer for 7 years, although with little use (~17000 pages). It now has a damaged fuser roller. Brother will not sell "internal parts" to the public. My nearest dealer is 80 miles away and this printer is heavy. I am competent and will repair it myself. But Brother will not sell me the part or provide documentation. I will be repairing it using third party spares and a manual that I found on the web.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

We purchased a Brother's HL-2395DW. Our kids are at home on online schooling. Today I went to scan homework. The scanner did not work on my computer which was set up to the printer, my husband which was also set up the printer. We then tried 4 other computers a mix of Apple and Samsung and Asus. None of the computer worked. We then called Brother's support. The support is offshore and we were told to pay $100.00 to have all our computers scripted to work on Brother's HL2395DW scanner. We declined and returned the printer. It is my thoughts that Brother's hired computer programmers in India to program people computers for an additional $100.00. I do not recommend this printer. I purchased at the time of purchase the extended warranty. The Brother's offshore tech person told us the warranty does not cover the scripting of our computers. Buyer beware. Do not buy.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Got the printer home and set up. Attempted to configure wi-fi set up. Machine found the network instantly. When I entered the network key I was stopped after 8 digits. Looked everywhere in the manuals, forums, YouTube, you name it, nothing about field length for the password. Had to wait the weekend to contact support just to be told, eventually, that I have to change the network key ON EVERY DEVICE I OWN, because the printer only takes 10 digits. No, IT ONLY TAKES 8. Why would you make a system with an 8 digit max password file? Ridiculous!

Original review: April 16, 2021

I have owned a Brother MFC-L3750CDW laser scanner printer for two years and had been happy with the performance and reliability. The machine was able to accept OEM toner cartridges and worked reliably and economically. After almost 2 years service, the printer became faulty and it was not worth having it repaired so I purchased a new one. As I had just replaced all the toner cartridges I removed them from the old machine and saved them to use in the new one.

I purchased the identical model as it had been very successful and after just 8 weeks the black tones ran out. I now find that the current firmware in the printer will not allow anything except a brand new, full manufacturer original toner cartridge at 3 or 4 times the OEM cost. WITHOUT ANY WARNING. Brother's answer to my complaint was "that is correct"! This is the last time I will purchase any Brother product, their attitude stinks!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

I like my printer (MFC 2750 Ldwxl) overall but was having problems with set up. I called Brother customer service and was clearly speaking with someone in India who diagnosed my problems as being caused by spyware on my iMac. I was then transferred to someone else (clearly in India) who gave me a hard sell on some reputed "network monitoring" service through a company called Axiom. They wanted an immediate payment of $299.99 for a year’s worth of some poorly specified monitoring. I declined their offer and ended the conversation. Never got a resolution of the problem I originally called about. I don’t know if Brother is aware or concerned about what happens to their customers who call for assistance.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

Do not buy this printer, and maybe not even this company line of printers. While the printer may not cost you much to purchase, where they get you is the ink. Now, if you just need to print a few copies and then don’t plan to use your printer for a few weeks or a month or two, the cartridge expiration date will kick in and you will not be able to print unless you buy new cartridges. Also, should you want to save money by just printing with black ink, it won’t let you do that either; you must replace the color cartridges as well if they are empty. Even if you print all of the time and you don’t get messages to replace cartridges that have “expired” but still have ink, you will be replacing black and color at the cost of about $90 every time. The company warns you not to buy non-Brother cartridges, of course, to keep you on the intravenous drip of ink supply. Buy another brand name.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

So I work for a business and we have to replace our Brother Printers every couple of years. Customer service needed one (after only 18 months) so I ordered her the HL-L2320D, the same as the last one. I ordered it on Nov. 4, 2020 and didn't receive it until Dec. 14, 2020. Our business closes for most of December so she didn't even use the printer until January. Since the first day it printed it had a quarter of an inch white line down the right side of the page. After dealing with it for a few weeks the CSR changed the toner thinking that maybe that was the problem, it was not. I called and held for 45 minutes waiting to talk to someone. After explaining the situation I turned her over to the person having the issues. They spoke for almost an hour. The Brother rep kept giving her things to try and nothing worked.

She then asked my co-worker to tell her the toner number she was using. She told her the number and the Brother rep said that that toner wasn't a Brother toner and that our 1 year warranty was now null and void. How can that be?? That was the toner that came in the box. We put the toner cartridge that they sent us in their product and now there is nothing that they can do. What a rip off and horrible way to conduct business. After trying all of the things that the rep recommended to fix the problem she is still having it and the store that sold us the printer won't take it back because "we have a year warranty" with Brother. I wouldn't recommend this brand to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

The title says it all. After wasting time to put enter a question on their "chat support", waiting for an hour to get one of their support persons to come on line, I simply went to another area on the Brother site and entered my question. I received this: "Thanks for submitting your question. Use this reference number for follow up: #201228-001305. A member of our support team will get back to you soon." No one ever replied. I then sent an email outlining the issue, but that was bounced back as "non-deliverable". There is no option for phone support, either. I had signed up earlier for "E-news" from Brother, with a Promo code with 15% on any purchase, however once going through an online purchase, the Promo code was not recognized. This company may sell decent products, however a big portion of any product is customer support. Brother has NONE.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2020

I cannot tolerate my Brother printer. Approx 95% of the time that I go to print something it gives me trouble. I now dread printing! I have to do battle with it and I have come to expect this each and every time. Not allowed enough words to describe all the problems. I just ordered a Canon and this one is going to recycling. My old Canon worked for years with minimal trouble. IMHO this one is a piece of junk. Very disappointed!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Unable to use new Brother Laser multifunction centre, can’t get it working after installing required multiple drivers for it. I have never before seen a product that requires multiple drivers. Biggest disappointment is that in Canada, I’m unable to get customer service, Brother Canada has large building at 175 Westcreek Blvd in Brampton, 21km distance from me but they only push sales and don’t provide after sale support for new products. Very disappointed as I can’t do anything with a new out of box Brother unit. I have to throw this unit away as I’m unable to get it working or get any Brother Customer Support. In the retrospect, now I see there was a reason Brother units are cheaper than other brand names and I got exactly what I paid for!

Brother Printers author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Brother is a technology company that was originally developed and headquartered in Nagoya Japan in 1908. Today, the company is known for making imaging devices, including printers, faxes and more.

• Mobile options: Brother is one of the few companies that sells individuals mobile printers that can be used on the go.

• Ink options: The company has a wide variety of products available, including laser printers in black and white, and inkjet printers in black and white.

• Award winning: Brother printers regularly win overall satisfaction awards from customers in PCMag.com's Readers' Choice Awards, which means that customers tend to be satisfied overall with the printers that the company makes.

• Environmental programs: Brother has launched environmental programs in the U.S. and globally in order to ensure that their environmental footprint is as small as possible. The company's sustainable efforts include things like eco-friendly product development and used-product collection programs.

• Specialized options: Brother creates and sells very specialized products like high-capacity garment printers, which most printing companies do not sell.

Brother Printers Company Information