2.51/5
Based on 39 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Brother Printers

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 16, 2018

39 Brother Printers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

New Printer Laser/scanner wireless - Set up easy enough, but no way to test print page (that I could find). Manual is useless as is online manual. Tried for an hour to find a telephone number for Brother. Zero success. Tried to register product with the correct s/n and refused to take it! Black streak down right hand side of page when printing - no advice anywhere (in manual or online) on how to make necessary adjustments. I can only conclude Brother run a lousy business model, with dimwits in charge

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I ordered a replacement toner. The printer did not recognize the toner and the helpdesk person asked it to be reset. Though it was done, it started printing black streaks on paper. Contacting Brother support is not easy, as they seem to hide behind Chat. After spending over an hour with the person on Chat, she said, toner has be to be replaced even though 96% of life was left. I asked Brother to send a replacement, which she refused, as it was reset originally. Just frustrating dealing with people who do not understand. Though I wasted my time, I want to follow through to ensure no one else need to deal with this kind of poor service. My business as we grow will invest in other printers, but not Brother anymore.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Au contraire to the reviews of Brother Printers. My experience has been quite different! I have had my Brother MFC9330CDW Wireless All-in-One Color Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax since January 8, 2018, and have had no problems. It comes with toner cartridges and...

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

You can't print only in black. They make you buy colored ink even if you're not using it, and it prints bad and every night I have to turn off the printer 'cause it wants to tune itself up every night at 1 or 2 am. This is by far the worst printer I have ever bought. I tried to resell it on Craigslist, and nobody is stupid enough to buy it so I throw it away. 450.00 and it's junk.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

MFC-J885DW. Relatively new printer - less than 2 years old. Terrible printer - extremely slow. This printer will not print in BW even when the black cartridge is full. I updated the firmware, powered on/off, and followed all the on-screen instructions Brother provided. The printer is not overused and there are no other problems. To temporarily print you have to eject the yellow cartridge (even though it is not needed to print in black and white) and the printer will then print one time in black and white. In other words, Brother industries wants you to buy all the cartridges just to print in black and white. This is a Terrible Printer. Never Buy a Brother or Epson Product!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brother Printers?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I have heard cases where a few other printer companies drew some heat for seemingly scamming customers with the printer cartridges expiring well before they are truly out of ink. I have had my Brother MFC-J680DW for about a year and have printed less than 50 pages, yet all colors are 100% empty. Not even one, but all at the exact same time. No way this is true. Has Brother come under any fire as other companies have by doing something untrustworthy with cartridges?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I purchased this Brother ledger size printer. Used it once. It was several months before I used it again (not ink injectors dry or ink dry. I am aware of this) and several months after that before I addressed the issue. The Brother online chat sent me a detailed deep clean instruction that I tried... To no avail. As I was past the warranty the emails were all they could do for me. I tried contacting them again and they claim I never entered the online chat system and claim they never sent me emails. As my server deletes emails after a while, I could not verify my claim. End of story...nothing they can do. I paid $220 on sale. This was not a disposable ($50) printer.

A month ago I paid $90 to find out it’s garbage. Last time I buy any more inferior Brother printers. Maybe some models are passable but this particular machine is garbage. My experience with Brother was horrible. It seems like one fast point of sale, they could care less about you. (I will post model no. as soon as I contact the repair place. The machine was left for electronic waste so I don’t have it with me).

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

We bought a Brother printer and after a year it was not printing showing faded copies. We bought toner as indicated and it still did not work. My husband bought a drum and brought it to Office Depot and they said we needed a new printer. He then tried to call the company and they hung up on him three times and were rude. I will never buy a brother printer again and the people in customer service should be fired since they are rude and hang up on customers.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Bought a Brother MFC-L5850DW in February 2017. Been have problems with it for a while and they said it's not under warranty and SquareTrade tells me I have to go through them. I will never buy another Brother printer again. I will go with HP from now on.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

This Brother MFC-J5720DW printer blows and customer service isn’t much better. Clogs seem to be common and went through (2x) ink cartridges before using a single ream of paper. Machine stopped printing in black & white because the nearly new yellow ink cartridge ran out. I cancelled printing after a half hour when only a third of the page in the retrieval tray was printed because a single page couldn’t be completed even with a cable connection. What a waste of money. Bought an Epson, I suggest you do the same.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

This is my 2nd Brother all-in-one printer. The first failed me also. I didn't have/use but about 4.5 months and the printer would disconnect from WiFi. I contacted Brother; They walked me through the process to see if the printer prints. OF COURSE it printed if I printed from the copier itself but it would go on and off line with the WiFi. I paid a professional $100 to get me back online after being off over a week. It worked some and then went offline again. I finally purchased another printer. I was told it was my WiFi. This is not correct because the Brother printer I had before this one printed via WiFi and the printer I have now prints via WiFi. I am stuck with a faulty printer that cost over $500. It sits unplugged in the floor of my office. I HIGHLY WARN YOU NOT TO PURCHASE A BROTHER PRINTER.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I purchased ink cartridges compatible to Brother brand cartridges, and after original Brother ink cartridges went dry, I replaced them one by one, blue, yellow, and magenta. No problems with blue. The yellow took a reinstall for the printer to recognize it, but it worked flawlessly until it came time to replace the magenta cartridge. Magenta simply would not work. I kept getting the same message to try installing, so I tried rebooting the printer but still the same message. Next, I removed all 4 cartridges and reinstalled. Magenta was finally "recognized" but now I was having the same problem with the yellow ink. After a reinstall, the printer said the cartridge was empty... Which I could see was clearly not the case.

Next, I called Customer Support. After giving the guy my name, address, email, phone number, etc., he tried to troubleshoot the issue until he found out I was not using Brother ink cartridges. No more help for me until I installed a yellow Brother brand ink cartridge, even after I told him the cartridge had been working with no problems. So next I told him I wanted to bypass color ink printing, but apparently there is no way to only print using black ink if any of the color cartridges are empty. I find that hard to believe, and if this is true, I would advise against purchasing a Brother Printer (model MFC-J985DW).

After all the frustration, I found the empty Brother yellow ink cartridge, and after I installed it and got the printer to "recognize" it, I tried reinstalling the compatible cartridge. After one try, it is working and my printer is back in service! I am not the kind of person who generally writes bad reviews, and I won't be throwing out my printer (I actually like it) but I just thought I would give someone a heads up before buying one. Beware that if you buy anything but Brother ink cartridges and you run into a problem, you are on your own. Oh, and you can't buy color ink for this printer at Staples... At least not the store near me; I tried.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I worked for over an hour and a half, on trying to get this crummy product (BROTHER MFC-J480DW printer) to run with your associate Winter. She was lovely but in the end it still didn't work. I had to keep taking the paper out, put it back in wipe it down, re-stack my paper, turn it off, turn it on, plug it into a wall, plug it into the surge protector. Repeatedly put on and off hold. I wanted to scream - It has never printed from DAY ONE NEVER!! I am even more disappointed/ ticked off with this crappy product than before. First I had to give my credit card number in order to receive another crappy "REFURBISHED" MODEL not a new model so that is sure to be another nightmare. But I will turn it off and on and unplug it. Maybe blow into the back for magic!!

Secondly for not being able to print my starter ink cartridges are low, when I asked if Brother could replace them at their expense - finally do something for the customer, I was told I was free to purchase more ink at my expense once my refurbished piece of crap comes. Aren't they generous and customer focused?!! I plan on hitting every website and blog to WARN anyone that might be considering making the mistake of purchasing this crappy machine about the machine and the crappy customer service. Really, times are so hard you can't replace ink to attempt to make your customer happy? Talk about insult to injury. Brother may have gotten my money, but I hope others research and don't waste their money like I did. I promise I will never make the same mistake again, and if I can I will warn as many people as I can to not purchase this crap.

Original review: June 20, 2017

Spent 1-hour with an "Agent" who when their algorithm got cut off had to repeat the call. Spent another 1-hour with another "agent", who then said they would have to refer me to a tech. Total of 2 hour spent getting no help. Agents frequently had to get off the phone to check something. Finally told that they would have a "Tech" call me back. The Techs were on break. Are you kidding me? After two hours of being on the phone. The Tech never did call back until several hours later. By that time I was in my car. Very disappointed in Brother service. Their slogan is "Brother at your side". Not any brother I would want at my side.

Original review: May 31, 2017

I purchased a used all in one printer. The CD was out of date and of no use. I have an iMac and attempting to figure out how was such a challenge. I called tech support. They told me to bring it to a repair center. There's nothing wrong, it's just a connection issue. I am sure the printer makes the noise like it's printing but splits out blank pages. I have called Apple, Brother's support line x5 still issue remains.

Original review: May 27, 2017

JUNK!! I bought two for different homes. They both developed the same problem, a common one with Brother it seems. The machine cannot recognize new print cartridges and refuses to operate. It will also force popup windows declaring that fact on every computer on your network, making them all difficult to use unless one uninstalls the Brother programming! Brother support is worse than useless... even rude. Their only solution is to offer a new cartridge, that arrives (and doesn't work either) in 4-5 days.

Original review: April 29, 2017

We purchased an MFC-9130CW printer and have not been able to get it to work - The customer service is beyond horrible - Beyond insulting actually - This printer has never worked as a wireless printer and I would recommend no one ever buying Brother products as they do not try to fix them and hang you on the phone forever - Telling you that they will return the call from supervision that never happens. I personally will never buy a Brother product again. The products do not work and the service is worse.

Original review: April 21, 2017

Cannot fill out shipping info on website (they are working on it!), then I phoned in with my Visa. They put it through, said it was declined (it was deducted, not declined - had an authorization # from Visa) and product not sent. Takes a week to get money back from Visa. Horrible service. Oh, and they are working on their Visa payments system too...

Original review: April 11, 2017

I purchased my all in one printer less than a year ago when I started having issues. I called tech services and troubleshoot with them off & on for a month & they still do not want to honor my manufacturer warranty! They still want to troubleshoot! I'm beyond upset! They have wasted many days of work for my small company. I will never purchase a Brothers product again! They are a big joke! They said on 4 occasions that next level tech will call me within 5 minutes to start warranty process and well it's been 3 days, SMH. Don't waste your money on any Brothers products because you will be disappointed and very frustrated to say the least!

Original review: April 7, 2017

Brother Printer HLL8350CDW - I take great issue with misleading advertising and product descriptions. We reviewed four printers that fit the needs of my home office. One included a scanner. In all of the descriptions on Amazon and product reviews, Brother refers to "I-scan." The company did not once offer a straightforward and truthful description, "there is no scanner." I even had my tech guy review before placing the order! Today, we unpacked the printer only to discover there is no scanner in this printer. "I-scan" is an available app to download onto our phones to send documents to a printer. I was enthused about getting a printer that fit all of the needs of this office. This cynical way of doing business? I will see to it that no Brother product enters my home office or business.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2017

Brother MFC-J6920DW - This is my first and last Brother purchase. I've had this printer for nearly 6 months and I've had at least 4 1-hour+ conversations. Each time it appears the problem is solved, and 12-24 hours later, I find it is not. I need to reset the printer 1-4 times/day. Even then, I can't always get it to print. I've given Brother the benefit of the doubt, tried to let them fix the problem. I don't have endless hours to get a printer working. What happened to technology working to our benefit? This printer has taken HOURS from my life. As a patient who has a fatal cancer, those hours actually matter...

Original review: Feb. 11, 2017

I called three times yesterday for help with my brother printer. All three times I was hung up on by three different people. I am not sure if this is corporate guidelines, but listen to the tapes, if you record help desk calls. I am handicapped and felt this was very poor customer service to any customer, unless it is a corporate standard for help desk service.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

I purchased the Brother printer from Office Depot, it seemed easy to use setup and fired up and worked great until the next time I went to print. I wound up resetting the printer. It printed fine. Then stopped again. I repeated this process until of weeks of resetting I decided to get to the bottom of it. After hours of troubleshooting, I discovered that it disconnects from the wireless router. I tried several different option in the setup of the printer, looked online for similar issues, tried their fixes. Nothing. I still have to reset the printer or re-run the wifi setup wizard to make this thing print.

I called Tech Support, their answer was to run it on a USB or replace my wifi router. It had to be the issue...I was told it had to be changing IP addresses. What a load of crap! I argued for a few moments that all other 27 devices connected wireless to the router were not having an issue. I soon realized that I was not talking to a person capable of communicating on a level of support needed to correct the issue.

I have tried three times and ended with pretty much the same results. The last probably being the best conversation because the tech on the phone admitted that the printer was the issue but simply did not know how to fix. His recommendation was to use the printer with a USB cable, share the printer on the computer it is connected to which I am conceding to doing. I have spent an extraordinary amount of time trying to use the wifi and just simply give up. I will correct the issue when I use up the ink. Then it is new printer time. Aside from the connection issue, I like the printer, but this has made me re-think using a Brother printer.

Original review: March 9, 2016

I don't care for their customer support at all! Everything is about the almighty dollar. Even if you're calling to ask a simple question, their first response is, "You need to purchase a warranty plan"! My printer STILL isn't working & I have yet to find out why! I really don't remember since it's only worked about 4-5 months out of the almost 2 years I've had it. It has a fax, but I don't know how to set it up or the wireless capability it supposedly has. Since it's not working, I wouldn't say it's reliable at all! I wouldn't recommend it!!

Original review: March 9, 2016

I have required printer driver updates and I used their support sites to find them. I found navigating the site to be effortless. Very clear print quality. Very economical on cartridge use. I use HL 5370DW and MFC-J870DW. I have a small business and I really use my printers. They are economical and are good value for money. It seems as if you really challenge the printer it will outperform many others available. I have tried and for me Brother has excelled beyond belief.

Original review: March 9, 2016

I used the manual. When I replaced the black ink cartridge, the computer no longer was communicating with my PC, so I had to figure out how to get that back working. Tedious. It goes through ink quickly. The price was what got me to buy this, but I would rather have spent a few more dollars for a more efficient and quiet printer. If I had known it was so slow and so noisy I would made other choices.

Original review: March 9, 2016

I have not needed customer support. The printer is awesome. We use this printer in our office and we really work it, probably more than it is designed to do but it has never given us any issues. It tells us when the parts need to be replaced and they are readily available. The value in this printer is that we have had it for many years and foresee many more years of use. The printer has never broken down. I highly recommend the Brother MFC-9970CDW.

Original review: March 9, 2016

This is my 3rd Brother and I have never had to call. My last 2 Brothers have been B&W laser printers and I find it very crisp. My Brother is price competitive with other brands. This is my 3rd Brother - my 1st one was so old the software was on a floppy and became obsolete. My 2nd was destroyed during a move to another state and this is my 3rd. I only buy Brother products.

Original review: March 9, 2016

Color often not as seen on the screen. Difficulty printing different size paper and envelopes. Still trying to set up wireless printing after a year plus. Frequently tells me there is a paper jam when there is not a paper jam. Cannot print glossy paper at all. Guess I am supposed to buy their brand of paper to make it work. Do not plan to do that. Would not buy again.

Original review: March 2, 2016

Software based customer support never had to call them. Top Notch quality Brother value shines. The fact it is a laser printer and that it has a scanner and copier built in. I use it so many times to type and printout stuff for school, work, and personal issues. It even helped me print out my resumes and directions before I got a gps for my car. Nowadays since I use a smart phone GPS is obsolete too. I have this printer for a span of 8-10 years. Most inkjet printers I had in the past are thrown out or is in the trash because of dust buildup or clogged inkjet cartridges. It comes with a starter toner but buying a replacement toner is pretty cheap. You do not even need for it to be a Brother Branded one.

Brother Printers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Brother is a technology company that was originally developed and headquartered in Nagoya Japan in 1908. Today, the company is known for making imaging devices, including printers, faxes and more.

• Mobile options: Brother is one of the few companies that sells individuals mobile printers that can be used on the go.

• Ink options: The company has a wide variety of products available, including laser printers in black and white, and inkjet printers in black and white.

• Award winning: Brother printers regularly win overall satisfaction awards from customers in PCMag.com's Readers' Choice Awards, which means that customers tend to be satisfied overall with the printers that the company makes.

• Environmental programs: Brother has launched environmental programs in the U.S. and globally in order to ensure that their environmental footprint is as small as possible. The company's sustainable efforts include things like eco-friendly product development and used-product collection programs.

• Specialized options: Brother creates and sells very specialized products like high-capacity garment printers, which most printing companies do not sell.

• Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs

www.brother-usa.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use