Brother Printers

Compare Printers

Research top Printers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I purchased the Brother printer from Office Depot, it seemed easy to use setup and fired up and worked great until the next time I went to print. I wound up resetting the printer. It printed fine. Then stopped again. I repeated this process until of weeks of resetting I decided to get to the bottom of it. After hours of troubleshooting, I discovered that it disconnects from the wireless router. I tried several different option in the setup of the printer, looked online for similar issues, tried their fixes. Nothing. I still have to reset the printer or re-run the wifi setup wizard to make this thing print.

I called Tech Support, their answer was to run it on a USB or replace my wifi router. It had to be the issue...I was told it had to be changing IP addresses. What a load of crap! I argued for a few moments that all other 27 devices connected wireless to the router were not having an issue. I soon realized that I was not talking to a person capable of communicating on a level of support needed to correct the issue.

I have tried three times and ended with pretty much the same results. The last probably being the best conversation because the tech on the phone admitted that the printer was the issue but simply did not know how to fix. His recommendation was to use the printer with a USB cable, share the printer on the computer it is connected to which I am conceding to doing. I have spent an extraordinary amount of time trying to use the wifi and just simply give up. I will correct the issue when I use up the ink. Then it is new printer time. Aside from the connection issue, I like the printer, but this has made me re-think using a Brother printer.

I don't care for their customer support at all! Everything is about the almighty dollar. Even if you're calling to ask a simple question, their first response is, "You need to purchase a warranty plan"! My printer STILL isn't working & I have yet to find out why! I really don't remember since it's only worked about 4-5 months out of the almost 2 years I've had it. It has a fax, but I don't know how to set it up or the wireless capability it supposedly has. Since it's not working, I wouldn't say it's reliable at all! I wouldn't recommend it!!

I have required printer driver updates and I used their support sites to find them. I found navigating the site to be effortless. Very clear print quality. Very economical on cartridge use. I use HL 5370DW and MFC-J870DW. I have a small business and I really use my printers. They are economical and are good value for money. It seems as if you really challenge the printer it will outperform many others available. I have tried and for me Brother has excelled beyond belief.

I used the manual. When I replaced the black ink cartridge, the computer no longer was communicating with my PC, so I had to figure out how to get that back working. Tedious. It goes through ink quickly. The price was what got me to buy this, but I would rather have spent a few more dollars for a more efficient and quiet printer. If I had known it was so slow and so noisy I would made other choices.

I have not needed customer support. The printer is awesome. We use this printer in our office and we really work it, probably more than it is designed to do but it has never given us any issues. It tells us when the parts need to be replaced and they are readily available. The value in this printer is that we have had it for many years and foresee many more years of use. The printer has never broken down. I highly recommend the Brother MFC-9970CDW.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brother Printers?

This is my 3rd Brother and I have never had to call. My last 2 Brothers have been B&W laser printers and I find it very crisp. My Brother is price competitive with other brands. This is my 3rd Brother - my 1st one was so old the software was on a floppy and became obsolete. My 2nd was destroyed during a move to another state and this is my 3rd. I only buy Brother products.

Color often not as seen on the screen. Difficulty printing different size paper and envelopes. Still trying to set up wireless printing after a year plus. Frequently tells me there is a paper jam when there is not a paper jam. Cannot print glossy paper at all. Guess I am supposed to buy their brand of paper to make it work. Do not plan to do that. Would not buy again.

Software based customer support never had to call them. Top Notch quality Brother value shines. The fact it is a laser printer and that it has a scanner and copier built in. I use it so many times to type and printout stuff for school, work, and personal issues. It even helped me print out my resumes and directions before I got a gps for my car. Nowadays since I use a smart phone GPS is obsolete too. I have this printer for a span of 8-10 years. Most inkjet printers I had in the past are thrown out or is in the trash because of dust buildup or clogged inkjet cartridges. It comes with a starter toner but buying a replacement toner is pretty cheap. You do not even need for it to be a Brother Branded one.

Who has time to call for customer support every time there is a printing issue?! With this printer that has been every time I go to use it! Tray is a nightmare.. too sensitive, not user friendly for layout of different size papers. Repeated messages for each use instead of just printing. Paper tray is not easy to figure out orientation of different paper sizes. Has error messages which are a mystery (paper scraps??) Takes on the average 40 minutes to print out one 4x6. My son-in-law has same issues with the same model. Could someone please just design a simple printer that actually prints?! And more than 10 photos without having to purchase a new ink cartridge?

Their website was somewhat helpful. Both current and previous Brother printers have given consistently good print quality. My Brother MFC printer's replacement is going on two years. Keep ink in it and it will keep on printing. The availability of cheap aftermarket ink makes these printers an incredible bargain. The first one lasted 8 years and many thousands of pages - I consider that exceptional. I particularly like that the current MFC printer is capable of duplex printing. The convenience of one device that prints and scans (and faxes) is something I now consider mandatory.

Cs recommended that I NOT scan up B&W negatives and later negate and print as photos as I might get unsatisfactory results! I know I could waste a sheet of paper and a tiny amount of black ink. Worked fine on an old roll film negative. Shakes less than my old Brother MFC295CN which I replaced w/ current J870DW. Both are quality machines. Low price for a MFC printer, copier fax. I was NOT pleased w/ previous printers from others. It NEVER fails to serve me. I am told that quality of Brother is not what it used to be though I would replace w/ another Brother when the time comes.

The printer was so easy to set up and has been so reliable that I actually have never had to contact customer support. It just runs and runs without a problem. As long as I use Brother supplies the print quality is excellent and consistent. Non-Brother toners don't work worth a damn and are always troublesome either because of breaking down, lines or not working out of the box. I had a top of the line Lexmark that was always breaking down and having communications problems. This Brother, at less than 1/3 the price just runs and runs without trouble and always makes excellent prints and copies. It has never broken. The only problem I have ever had occurred with aftermarket non-Brother toners. If you are tired of printer problems, buy a Brother.

Three stars for the basics: website, reliable driver updates, Mac compatible. They would get more if there were a number I could call, to talk to a tech, who spoke English. Excellent black and white printer. Long toner life, great sheet-fed scanner. Provided drivers are up to date. Would be nice to get an email about driver updates, rather than discovering I need one right in the middle of a rush print or scan job. For the price, it is an excellent value. It works as advertised, and has survived three major Mac OS updates. It works on Windows too. Networking was flawless. It even works wirelessly, at least on the Mac side. Driver for iPad wireless printing still needs some work, but otherwise, great product. It even faxes. Reliable and dependable.

Only issue is driver updates, which should be tied more closely to Mac OS updates. Otherwise, love this printer. It sports a scanner with a document feeder. This is a must-have, if you're archiving volumes of paper documents. The toner seems to last forever. I've had it six years, and I've only replaced the cartridge once, even though I do a lot of printing. Although fax is antiquated technology, some businesses I work with require faxed documents, so it is nice to have this feature.

We had issues with the printer/scanner working on one laptop (wireless) while not working on the other laptop. We called Brother technical support & they walked us through several problem solving solutions. After 15 minutes the problem was solved. Technical support was courteous, patient and most of all we never got disconnected. Support personnel also appeared to be located within the USA so there were no language barriers. What more could you ask for... Copy & scan features work flawlessly, changing of ink cartridges a snap and the print quality is top notch. It is not a picture printer however we have printed pictures and lo & behold high quality pictures!

Cleaning & maintenance very easy & simple. This printer prints single side, 2 sided up to legal size, labels, envelopes and has a speed feed system for either copying or scanning. Although it also has fax capabilities we do not use this function and cannot give any opinion. We have been using this printer for one year now with no issues other than the previously described connection issue that was solved by technical support. We were always an HP printer/scanner users. We will never go back. (What you need to know is that Brother stands behind their products.) Speaking for ourselves we would recommend this printer for home use.

Customer support is no longer a person to person contact but rather the ability to get what you need from the company's website. Brother provides a descent amount of info but not all of it is up to date to support the latest version of Windows. It is great for my purposes. The printer handles 11X17 and I use it mainly for large spreadsheets. The text is crisp and clear. I think it is a good value. My issue is soon after you buy an electronics item the price drops immediately and support is rarely updated. I've always had good luck with Brother products and the same is true of this printer. The only problem I've had is with the USB port on the printer. It failed and I had to use network connectivity mode to use it. Other than that, it has worked fine. I like the large size ink cartridges which makes extended use possible between cartridge replacements.

I have not had occasion to contact printer support. It prints beautifully, especially on photo paper. However, it will not accept any but the thinnest photo paper. Anything else jams. It is a bit annoying to change to different size papers, however it prints up to 11x17 which is convenient. For an 11x17 capable printer it was reasonably priced. It also copies, scans & faxes. So far so good. I've had it about a year. Except for jamming on thicker photo papers I've had no trouble. Switching paper size is a bit inconvenient, however, not having the tray constantly at the 11x17 size makes it easier to fit on my desk. The paper tray feels a little flimsy, but has not broken yet. I wish the printer driver (for my Mac) had more options. It only allows B&W or color printing, no draft mode, for instance. Maybe the PC driver has more options?

I never had a reason to use Customer Support, but since the printer is so impressive, I'm sure their support system must be too. Great laser printer, with crisp/clean lines of text and images. The printer is priced at less than $100 & is wireless, full-duplex B&W. It's perfect for the nominal amount of printing I do nowadays. The printer was very easy to set up, rarely has a paper jam, and hasn't broke down since I purchased it, and I've only replaced the toner cartridge once. That's pretty reliable. Wireless printing is probably the best features anyone could have in a printer. I have mine on the lower shelf of an end table in my office so that all I see is the front of the printer. My whole family uses it, but we don't have to have it on display. So I would never would another "wired" printer.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Brother is a technology company that was originally developed and headquartered in Nagoya Japan in 1908. Today, the company is known for making imaging devices, including printers, faxes and more.

• Mobile options: Brother is one of the few companies that sells individuals mobile printers that can be used on the go.
  • Ink options: The company has a wide variety of products available, including laser printers in black and white, and inkjet printers in black and white.
  • Award winning: Brother printers regularly win overall satisfaction awards from customers in PCMag.com's Readers' Choice Awards, which means that customers tend to be satisfied overall with the printers that the company makes.
  • Environmental programs: Brother has launched environmental programs in the U.S. and globally in order to ensure that their environmental footprint is as small as possible. The company's sustainable efforts include things like eco-friendly product development and used-product collection programs.
  • Specialized options: Brother creates and sells very specialized products like high-capacity garment printers, which most printing companies do not sell.
  • Best for Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Compare Printers