3.17/5

96 Brother Printers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

This printer would be great if it worked properly. This printer jams more than it actually prints. The ink nozzles need cleaning at least once a week and the yield on the ink is terrible. I bought this printer because it is multi-functional, but mainly because it has two paper drawers and the description said the ink is "super high yield." If I try to use the bottom drawer to print on paper that has writing on the reverse side, it will feed through multiple pieces of paper. As for the "super high yield ink," this is a straight up lie. I was excited for this printer but have been truly disappointed since the day I bought it. Do not buy this printer. Very frustrated after spending the money to find out it doesn't live up to its description.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

We have had this printer for a couple of years but very low usage - 1,700 pages total. Started receiving Print Unable EC a few months ago and I have not had time to troubleshoot. Started in earnest to try to correct. Appears to be the fan and taking apart the unit will take quite some time. How can a fan fail after a few years and hardly any printing. All parts life are at 100% except drum is 94%. I am guessing this is not going to be fixable at a reasonable price. I have had HP printers in the past which last forever &/or are somewhat easy to fix. I will probably not go with a Brother printer in the future.

Get expert buying tips about Printers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

The absolute worst warranty process in the world! They keep you on the phone for upwards of an hour with petty little questions and processes. Then they ask for credit card to make sure you return defective printer. No confirmation email ever sent! Called back and waited another 30 minutes while they looked into it. Clearly they try to get you to the point where you give up!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I have a HL-3170CDW. It will not print on both sides; it jams. I cannot feed manually; it jams. When I cancel my printing due to a jam, it then runs a "test" which will not stop. It will use all of the paper in the printer, then ask for more, even though I "cancel" the print run both on the printer and in my device manager. I am getting color dots on my pages, dirt on the roller? This is a piece of **. Warning; do not buy a Brother product.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Beware buying "Brother" products. Their customer solution when you run into a problem or are dissatisfied with the product you purchased - is NIL. I bought the HL-3170CDW model laser color printer for a second time because the first one had a problem with the fuser roller burning out within 2 years causing a problem when printing documents. It was not cost effective to fix so I decided to buy the same model as I liked it a lot and hoped it would be a better one. This printer is not cheap and when purchased it comes with a full set of black and color toner cartridges. Well, the second printer I purchased did come with a set of toner cartridges but were the wrong ones and did not work with the printer.

I tried in vain explaining this so that I could get it replaced with the right toner cartridges which is TN-221. What I kept getting from the various representatives I spoke to was that what I received was the standard toner cartridges and that they should work. There was an exchange of many phone calls with me repeatedly telling them they were not the right cartridges because they did not work. This really does boil down to their not wanting to accept the liability or cost for the right toner cartridges which is so unbelievable. Brother is not a reliable brand willing to stand behind their products and I made a big mistake in my purchase. I will no longer buy Brother products going forward.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brother Printers?

Original review: July 13, 2018

Customer service with these call centers are the worst ever, undertrained, receptionists saying they are tech people, outright liars. Always wanting to get your personal information, so they can rob you blind. Do not talk to these people, they are not to be trusted. In some cases they are children impersonating their parents. Terrible the way the world is going.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Brother MFC-l2707DW - Previously I owned HP all in ones and they were okay except I felt the ink was expensive. Finally the printer head needed to be replaced so I said the heck with it. I will get a new one. I was impressed by the fact that Brother offered support for as long as you own the machine whereby other companies charge you after a year. So far the machine has impressed us. It is quiet, fast and creates a nice crisp copy. I have used the scan and fax options and again, very pleased with the outcome. I found that this copier was very easy to set up. Before purchasing I made sure it was compatible with Windows 10 so I didn't have any extra work there. So to us, it works like a charm. Glad we purchased it.

Original review: July 3, 2018

Brother Printers, or at least the one I have, is INCOMPATIBLE with Apple Computers and they will NOT refund or replace my printer. Furthermore, I have tried EVERYTHING ON EARTH to make this printer work, including calling customer service probably 12 - 15 times. Each time they have LIED to me. The reason I know this is because I get a DIFFERENT story each time I call. I am FURIOUS. I gave them EVERY CHANCE to handle this honestly. They are CROOKS.

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have used somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 Brother laser printers in a small business & home/personal settings. I been pleasantly disappointed that they would not fail so that I could update to the newest bells & whistles! I will always look to Brother for the latest & greatest. Love the online availability of support!

Original review: June 15, 2018

I have had the Brother HL-2040 laser printer for a few years now and it has proven to be quite reliable. I would definitely purchase another in the future.

Original review: June 14, 2018

This is an easy to use machine that can copy, scan, fax easily and quickly with little preparation even for a first time user. I highly recommend this machine. I appreciate the laser quality too.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I've had a Brother All-In-One Printer for well over 10 years that has had zero problems with faxing, copying or printing. It can scan as well but I have not mastered that since I do not do a lot of it. Would buy another Brother without hesitation if and when this guy stops working for me.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I had a Brother Laser Printer for ten years, it provided excellent service and was 100% reliable. It did require a toner cartridge at about five years, which cost the equivalent of 3-4 ink cartridges. Excellent!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I bought a DCP-L2550DW printer all-in-one. The printer connected to my Mac for printing only. It will not scan, and the printer will not connect to my Microsoft laptop. I am so disappointed in Brother, a company I thought was the best. Ambiguous instructions and instruction that do not work. I tried working with the website with absolutely no help. I guess my only option is to return the printer.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Very good quality printing in both black and white as well as color. I can't see using another other than a portable one that is carried with a laptop, using possibly wireless.

Original review: June 9, 2018

I have a Brother MFC-J480DW and with the larger capacity ink cartridges the ink last like forever and the quality is good enough for me and it's a 4 function printer. It also has the ADF feature and the feed tray holds at least 120 pages and is easy to load. Don't know about picture quality but it's a lot cheaper to use then the Epson I had before this one.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I have 2 Brother printers. Each is over 10 years old. One is a toner and the other is an ink-jet. They still work very well. I have not had any problems with either of them.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Brother printer uses too much ink. And it seems that ink cartridges do not print as many pages as I would expect. Otherwise this is a relatively low cost printer that does what one would expect it to do.

Original review: June 6, 2018

We purchased this Brother MFC-9840 CDW laser printer on the recommendation of a friend in the technology business. He was right. We spend less on toner than we did on ink. We probably purchased "over" what we needed, but we haven't regretted it. We love this printer.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I have been more than satisfied with Brother and have owned at least one of all the big name printers at one time or another. I have three models of Brother now and they have serve me very well with consistent usage.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I have had two Brother printers over the last 15 years and have been very satisfied. My Wife is the Church Secretary and she gets a lot done on a cartridge of ink. We very rarely have to buy Toner, so I'm happy.

Original review: June 3, 2018

Brother is the only printer that I can refill the cartridges. The others count drops and will not reset. Brother measures with a float and can be reset after cartridges are refilled.

Original review: June 2, 2018

My Brother automatically cleans itself and is ready to go whenever needed. It takes about 40 sheets of paper, enough for my uses. Ink cartridges are easy to replace. Has good prices for them.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I have the LC201, the wifi is spotty, I have to turn the printer off and on if it has been sitting idle for a while, but it does work and print well. And the scanner works fine as well. THE real crime here is that the ink cartridges are Empty when they get down to half full, and the printer will not print in black and white if ANY color is empty. And even when printing in black and white, it still uses Cyan, so it is always going empty. And don't worry, the required program you have to download to use the printer, will spam you with pop up reminders about how you need to order ink from them online. I want my old 2002 $20 HP inkjet printer back. Before they started screwing me over on the most expensive liquid on the planet.

Original review: June 1, 2018

We have had it for over 10 years. I love my printer, fax, copier and scanner. I can't remember ever having to have it repaired. My daughter replaces any cartridges it needs, etc.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Brother has a wonderful product and amazing customer service. When I was unable to get my printer to work properly due to an issue with the heads, Brother sent me a new printer free of charge. Amazing!

Original review: May 30, 2018

Every Brother printer that I have owned, lived up to my expectations. I have used HP in the past but the ink runs out too fast, Epson was a good quality printer like Brother.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Overall reliable with good quality printing. Does however, get hot rapidly & difficult to find the proper colored inks in one place ("generics" do not work) when cartridges need replacing.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Shop assistant worked for Brother although the store took my money, so I was told later it had no warranty. Problems with ink. Kept leaking unless I kept it strictly horizontal. Now I can no longer buy ink for this model so it has to be trashed.

Original review: May 27, 2018

Sold by Staples but seems like older unit as not all MAC drivers available. I don’t understand how You purchase a new unit but drivers are an issue. Probably will never ever again go to Staples. Spent many hours on Brother support line for help which is good.

Brother Printers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Brother is a technology company that was originally developed and headquartered in Nagoya Japan in 1908. Today, the company is known for making imaging devices, including printers, faxes and more.

• Mobile options: Brother is one of the few companies that sells individuals mobile printers that can be used on the go.

• Ink options: The company has a wide variety of products available, including laser printers in black and white, and inkjet printers in black and white.

• Award winning: Brother printers regularly win overall satisfaction awards from customers in PCMag.com's Readers' Choice Awards, which means that customers tend to be satisfied overall with the printers that the company makes.

• Environmental programs: Brother has launched environmental programs in the U.S. and globally in order to ensure that their environmental footprint is as small as possible. The company's sustainable efforts include things like eco-friendly product development and used-product collection programs.

• Specialized options: Brother creates and sells very specialized products like high-capacity garment printers, which most printing companies do not sell.

• Best for: Large offices, homeowners with computers, photographers, students and schools.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs