3.9/5 (263 ratings)

About Brother Printers

Brother Printers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brother Printers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Brother Printers?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2020

Unable to use new Brother Laser multifunction centre, can’t get it working after installing required multiple drivers for it. I have never before seen a product that requires multiple drivers. Biggest disappointment is that in Canada, I’m unable to get customer service, Brother Canada has large building at 175 Westcreek Blvd in Brampton, 21km distance from me but they only push sales and don’t provide after sale support for new products. Very disappointed as I can’t do anything with a new out of box Brother unit. I have to throw this unit away as I’m unable to get it working or get any Brother Customer Support. In the retrospect, now I see there was a reason Brother units are cheaper than other brand names and I got exactly what I paid for!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

My MFC-L2700DC printer we had just changed the Drum 2 months ago. I am trying to print and keep asking to Replace the Drum. I called their customer service 1-877-276-8437 3 times because the call dropped every time after waiting for over 15 minutes. They give an option to Chat help online, but the website does not show that option. They are using the Covid-19 as an excuse to long waiting but it is just an excuse since Covid-19 does not transmit over the phone.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

I am a licensed attorney to practice law in the State of Arizona. I have had three Brother MFC machines over the past ten years. In my most recent machine, I receive a "replace toner" notice and my machine shuts down entirely. I find that odd, because I calculate my use. I print thousands of pages a year. One time I saw an article on how to "by-pass" the replace toner notice online. Indeed, my toner printed an additional 1500 pages with no interruption. I feel this is designed to force customers to purchase new toners at $90 a piece when they aren't needed at all. This comment is angrily written today, because for the first time in my life, my entire machine shut down and it says "replace drum." I went through this before. I used an online article on how to bypass these warning. I've done it and one drum lasted an entire 1.5 years with no issues at all.

In the past year, I have avoided purchasing five toners and three drums - that were required to be purchased if I followed the directions on my machine. That is about a savings of about $800 because I didn't purchase items I didn't need. I urge everyone to go to the nearest store before you buy a machine. Please notice that the price of an entire machine with a toner and drum is included is almost the same cost as a new toner and drum. It is almost cheaper to buy an entire new machine every time you receive this message than to replace your toner and drum. My drum is perfect. My toner is perfect. My machine is refusing to work and I am using the "bypass replace drum" instructions you see if you google this topic. I am a criminal attorney. I feel this is actually an act of fraud.

I urge this to be posted, I will verify my credentials, and urge Consumer Affairs to contact Brother directly to respond to this post. If I followed the orders my machine tells me - when I am told my drum or toner needed to replace, I would have spent at least an additional $500 in products this year alone. I am a solo attorney. If I saved this much by not replacing things that didn't need to be replaced, what happens to major corporations. And if I had sent every toner and drum to be recycled when told to, think of how much plastic, toner, and paper products would be wasted by discarding the ink in toners, replacing the drum in drum units when they are still perfect, and the use of resources to recycle these products? Brother is not only greedy in this regard, but at a minimum, is hostile to our environment.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

The printer when continuously online/plugged in will self test and self update. When this happens the print cartridges are affected by using ink whether color or black with each update. When one of the cartridges is emptied by this process it must be purchased in order for any other cartridge to work/print. When calling customer service they confirmed our findings. Which means they are profiting through their greed by their updates programmed into the printer. This is not only an inconvenience but more unnecessary money out of our pocket. I'm not sure all printers work this way or just Brother printers but I can tell you we will never buy another Brother printer and will spread the news.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Always find excuses not to cover parts under warranty. When I had a problem with my first printer & the authorized dealer told me it's a fuser problem & it was less than 1 year so I called up to get a new part & they find 70 excuses not to be covered under warranty & now I had the same situation with my new printer which I made a big mistake to buy from Brother again.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

I have had this printer for a few years and it has been a very miserable experience. Even when printing in black, even grayscale, it will make you replace color cartridges that are low. It always wants you to put paper in the multipurpose tray when you have the settings for tray 1. It has very old school software. It forces you to have a time and date stamp in the file name when you scan to your computer. I would not recommend this printer.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I have a Brother MFC J885DW all-in-one printer and have had nothing but trouble with the ink cartridges. I seldom use the printer and when I tried to use it, it indicated I needed to replace two ink cartridges. There is still plenty of ink in the cartridges, but it will not print. I always use the Brother brand replacements and print about 5-10 pages when it indicates replacement of ink is necessary. Terrible waste of money buying cartridges.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I have called recently to the support at Brother concerning my printer losing connection with my laptop. Instead of telling me to restart my wifi and setup wifi connection, he suggested to buy a package of updates for my computer to adjust to the updates of their software. Totally false when I realized that I just had to reconnect the wifi. Would not buy this product in the future with this type of support.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I have bought this MFC-J2320 Inkjet in 2017 and since then, I have only had troubles with this printer. I have used it only sparingly (weekly prints) because it gave me so many troubles from the start. The printing was noisy. WiFi never worked properly. With every restart I need to re-enter WiFi details. Even when the printer is off, it makes weird sounds at night and for someone who has my bedroom next door (It's a home office) it has been a nuisance. The printer guzzled ink. Never gave even 20% of the efficiency it promised. The quality of print steadily declined. The scanning worked fine but it could never save it through wifi, using a pen drive was necessary.

Paper jams are usual business. This afternoon, only after printing less than 30 pages since getting new set of cartridges the ink seems to have died out. I have decided to sell it off as scrap and never get another Brother product in my life. This is an absolutely bitter experience. And the problems weren't limited to one aspect - it seemed this is a poorly designed product. I dislike creating unwanted e-waste, this was the only reason for persisting with this worthless product. If anyone considering this brand of printers, my advice would be to stay away.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

I spent 350 on a printer and it's a piece of crap. The printer doesn't cancel print jobs. Days later every time I turn it on it is printing something I have tried to cancel. I cancel it, it stops, then it starts printing again randomly. So much paper and ink has been wasted. Who knows when this thing will start printing, it has a mind of its own. And I didn't press print multiple times or anything, it just does that. I will never buy the Brother brand again.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

No support HL-L3290CDW. This printer worked well for 598 sheets and then "no toner" came up on the led display so, naturally, I went to Amazon and purchased all new toner. When the new toner arrived I installed them and the problem continued. I contacted Brother support (which is only online now and slow) to be told that unless I purchase another set of toner from Brother, there is nothing they can do for me as the ones I now have might be defective. Then when I asked if I did this and it still didn't work, would they replace the printer only to be informed that Brother still would not. This is my first time buying a Brother product and shall be my last.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

There are so many buttons, features, and modes it's utterly confusing for the average consumer. You must connect it thru bluetooth, that needs a password hidden in the owners manual, or it must be connected thru wifi, which also needs a password hidden in the owners manual. I searched high and low thru the manual and found several codes, that did not work. None of the codes were even labeled correctly, it was a wild goose chase with no goose found. The printer won't even let you chose the menu options for the general settings, it comes locked in fax mode and you will ONLY be able to change the fax settings.

Upon trying to change the printer to "Print" mode, I found the only settings available are fax, scan, and copy. Copy does absolutely nothing, and won't even show menu options on the printer. I tried multiple computers trying to connect or find the printer on my network, to no avail. When I first tried to connect, the Brother printer popped up for a split second on my available networks, and then disappeared completely. No matter how many times I try and replicate this, I am unable too. I have installed drivers, turned the printer on and off, unplugged and plugged back in, check all menu settings, and spent over 2 hours trying to problem solve on various forums and help threads. Absolute disgraceful. This product is so difficult to use.

A printer should perform the most basic functionalities currently available. Print, connect, and on and of. Brother printers are over-designed and over-complicated so much that the average consumer will not be able to use this product out of the box. It will give you much more of a headache than serve its purpose of printing. Avoid Brother products like the plague, unless you want to return the product a couple hours after purchase. I went back to Walmart and purchased an HP Printer for $50 more, and I am overly impressed. The ease of use shoves Brother products onto the disgraced corner. They are seriously THAT bad. Avoid, avoid, avoid, avoid.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

They don't take any ownership even within warranty! Garbage customer service, won’t buy any product from this company ever again. Terrible product and terrible customer service. We will take legal advice to deal with this company as it looks like they are very irresponsive to solve the problems.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

0a-A Printer SAGA ##### I purchased a Brother MFC-L2750DW as my older Brother printer quit on me. I followed the quick setup Guide and installed it. And printed about 150 pages then the Cartridge was empty. At this point I decide to Register the machine. I found the serial number on the box, then on the inside where the drum/cartridge goes and behind the printer!! So I was certain to have the correct number The printer said “NO” wrong number. I then went for help where I purchase the machine. I did not get any help except given the following phone Number (1-888-404-0505) which I called as I was told it was Brother Support. I then was shuffled to 3 different people to help me register the machine all of which was absolutely useless. In the meantime someone succeeded to sell me a protection program worth $249.95 US.

After spending hours on the phone and getting nowhere I said I was ending the call and I wanted reimbursement for the so call help service. After arguing back and forth I was told I would be reimbursed. Next there was $10600.00 added to my account. I got a frantic warning that he had made a mistake and I was to return him $9000.00 Cash. I argued about how I could do that so next, my bank account was emptied to $0.00. I was then threatened and after strong discussion I was told he had a change of mind and he would put the money back in my account. But I had to promise to send him the $9000.00 cash. He gave me the following phone no (717-388-0792) to call him when I got the money from the bank and he would tell me how to send it to him.

When I got to the bank, the services were closed but somebody tried to help me anyway. The money was in my account which made me happy until I was informed that the money in my checking account came from a transfer from my Marge of credit. This is my printer SAGA and I am still hoping for my service plan reimbursement!!! A sucker Born every minutes!!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

The printer's "cleaning" will devour cartridges and the refuse to print anything unless all of the cartridges have ink. If you use the printer for printing in B&W only it will still cost $100 to $200 a year in color ink cartridges due to the frequent "cleaning" and then not let you print in black until it new color cartridges are installed.

Printing in color is pathetic. Tan colors get printed as bright magenta. Nothing looks natural and after 10-15 attempts with different settings you will realize that the color "feature" is nothing more than a means to waste expensive ink. I would take a dot matrix printer from the 90's over this crap Brother printer that cost nearly $700.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I opened a brand new Brother printer, downloaded their Wizard program and found the language vague and inexact enough that it forced me to call the help line. The wait was at least 10 minutes, so I logged on to chat. The chatbot asked a few questions to narrow down things and then a pay screen popped up. I would have to pay to get my printer to work. That's when I decided to rebox the printer and bring it back to buy an Epson. I've never EVER been unable to just plug in a printer and after a few keystrokes been printing documents.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I replaced color ink and noted the day I replaced it. I didn't print anything with colors. All I print is black. Less than 2 months later it stopped printing because RED color is empty and Yellow is on its way to empty. I just need to print in black. Why do they make you replace all colors if all I need is black. Not honest. Will never buy Brother again.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Barely a month old DCP-B7535DW. Worked very well for a couple of weeks. Then paper jams started happening on duplex printing. After the first change of toner, the printing has become extremely light and illegible. The toner is original Brother. The company has been slow to help. Three technicians have visited so far. All of them have said the same thing that the drum unit needs to be replaced. All of them have placed a request to have it replaced. Yet the company refuses to do so and keeps sending technicians to re-check, as if they refuse to believe anyone telling them that their product is faulty. It has been a frustrating experience to say the least and I'm one technician visit away from suing them.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

The service is very worst and don't ever buy this product [brother printer]. I had buy this product before 4 days ago and I called the customer care many times even today. They didn't even pick up the call and the product is very **. Friends don't ever buy this product.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

Just got the printer in the mail. Set everything up, all lights are they are supposed to be. Printer refuses to work... It has spit out a few labels about 5-20 minutes apart from each other! I've been on hold with support for 35 minutes. This company is a joke. Subpar everything!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

Printer would not work. Displayed error message about low ink level or unable to detect ink cartridges. I replaced them all and printed about 5 pages and got the same messages again. The printer was 18 months old and the warranty was only for 12 months, so Brother would not do anything about their lousy product. They sell the printers cheap so they can keep robbing you with the ink. I will NEVER buy anything made by Brother again.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

After 1 hour and 57 minutes trying to get help installing their printer (that would not install due to corrupted portions in install Cd, and they refused to send another install Cd), and bad files encountered when trying to update their product from their website, they said that they would give me a case number regarding the issue, and instead hung up on me. I had to cancel an appointment due to the extremely long call, and now I am not only no further along in correctly installing their printer, but have now also lost 2 hours of my time, and endured extreme incompetence in their inept tech support people (I was transferred 4 times), and unbelievable levels of stress in dealing with these incompetent people.

Their printer also had used or dried up ink cartridges when I bought it, and they said that they would send new inkjet cartridges to replace the bad ones, and then when I called again, they refused to do so. Do yourself a major favor and buy a printer from another company. This company not only has incompetent employees, it is completely corrupt!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Tech support person Joseph on Sep 17 around 230 - 330 PM. The support and handholding he gave thru the fixing my printer problems was excellent and foolproof. He is the best I have ever come across so far in my support needs. Very direct but detailed with an understanding that he has to assume no given know how from the customer side.

Logan

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

My HP printer broke down after about 10 years of service, so I looked for a replacement and following recommendations bought a Brother LC3011 – what a BAD move! This thing is almost impossible to operate – won't accept the standard paper sizes I select and offers no help site for instructions or problem solving. Moreover, loading paper into the drawer for printing is exceedingly awkward because of the design and the fact that the printer's parts are made of very cheap plastic. There must be something better than this...

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Hi, I also face the same issue with my printer. I bought this printer 2 months ago. Sometimes it works fine but sometimes it creates issues. Please help if someone knows how to fix this issue permanently.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I had to purchase a new printer ASAP when I upgraded to Windows 10, and it wouldn't allow my trusty Lexmark e210 to work on that OS. I purchased a brand new Brother HL-L2370DW from Office Depot. The plusses: Good price point. Prints quickly and cleanly. The minuses: Toner and drum are separate units ($$$$). Machine's paper drawer sticks a bit when opening. Confusing format for printing second side of paper (facing front, facing up). Tends to jam often with lighter paper stock. Somewhat noisy operation. Push button selection switch needs to run through selections to power off, rather than having a convenient toggle power switch. This unit will have to do until I need to replace it... and despite all of the raves I've heard about Brother, this will probably be my first AND last of their printers...

Original review: July 9, 2019

Printer MFC-J5620DW Ink over $100. This has been a very good printer. I had been buying replacement ink online but wasn't able to find any online today for a reasonable price. So I went to OfficeMax. They want $67.00 for a set of color cartridges and $44.00 for one black cartridge. When I purchased this printer it was advertised as having one to the lowest printer ink cost. No one in their right mind pays $100 or more for ink unless the printer is a professional printer costing thousands. This is ridiculous to say the least. I purchased a new Epson printer for under $100 and ink for under $50. $50 is still a lot to pay for ink but it's better than over $100. Too bad Brother makes good products, but not even WalMart will sell the ink to this printer and the Brother ink they do sell is just as overpriced.

Original review: July 3, 2019

This is my third time with a Brother printer and all of them have failed within two weeks time. Very very poor support system. Brother laser printer ran out of toner. Installed new toner. Never worked again. Bought a second Brother printer that is supposed to do envelopes. Will not do envelopes. About a third Brother printer ran out of ink. Installed OEM Ink. Never print it again. All three over $1,200 thrown in the trash can.

Original review: June 20, 2019

Brother printers purchased outside of Europe cannot use ink cartridges sold in the UK. In my case, Brother tells me to purchase from the USA but has restrictions in place to stop Amazon and others from shipping from USA to UK. This is not mentioned on their websites. After 3 emails, where I specified my unit was USA purchased, they directed me to their website which directed me to buy a cartridge that they later informed would not work on my machine. Bottomline, don't buy Brother if you might travel.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I have purchased Brother printer from Ahmedabad India on 04.04.2018. I have printed 605 copies till now in 1 year time period. I wanted to print few copies on both side. The paper got stuck after successfully printing 3 pages out of 22. I removed the stuck pages and now the display say "Unable to print 0B fault" I called up Brother service center on 22.04.2019 (18 days over) and the staff replied that the printer is out of warranty and can be fixed on chargeable basis.

I called up your toll free number and asked the question "What is the printer's lifetime?" I have been told from Brother International that it is 50000 copies. I said, "Your printer has a default and I am 18 days over the warranty and expect at least one service." No one heard to what I want to say and it was only one reply OUT OF WARRANTY. Well, I booked in service call with Brother and technician gave quote over the phone stating expense of INR4000 as it need 2 parts replacement. It's a shame on BROTHER company if their product does not give service for its own lifetime which is 50000 copies and died on me for just 605 copies. It costed me INR30 for one copy. Shame on you BROTHER EMPIRE.

Brother Printers Company Information