Belkin

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I bought a Belkin Mini Displayport to HDMI Adapter from Amazon in Sept 2014. A few months later it stopped working. Amazon told me to contact Belkin directly, which I did. After a somewhat tedious discussion with customer support, shipped the damaged item back to Belkin (at my own expense) and they sent me a replacement (cheaper-looking by the way). Less than 6 months later, the replacement dies. I contact Belkin again, who tells me that there is no guarantee on a replacement!!! More tedious discussion, and I finally obtain for that one to be replaced. I send the broken item back to them at my expense again and they send me another one (different model again), which died after 3 months! I gave up and bought from another brand, one that, unfortunately lasted me... 2 months!

I bought a Belkin router 4 weeks ago. When I called the company to do the setup we could never do the set up right so the speed of my internet went from 115 to 18 with the router. No wifi. I called several times. The last time it took 4 hours. I could not download the upgrade software. These people from other country very difficult to understand. Could not help me do anything. Now I have to return the router and buy a router through the cable company which is what I should have done to start with. Trying to save money, I wasted the $200 that I spent in the router. Never again.

Everything went smoothly. Received my replacement Belkin Mini Surge about 2 weeks ago, and upon reviewing my credit card transactions, the hold for the new product never became a charge (Yay! All good.) Everything works fine. Wonderful overall experience.

Jen of Lafayette, CA on

Original Review

The product issue: I loved this product from the day I bought it. 2 USB ports, three grounded plug-in spots for other devices and it was all on a single swivel three-prong plug for wherever your power source happened to be. It worked great for travel and work, but then the swiveling plug kept starting to pop out a bit. No bueno. Eventually, I lost the prongs (I might find them by end of day) after they fully popped out of the encasing and I couldn't put it back together. My surge protector was finally defunct. So, today in doing personal chores I came across the box for my Belkin Mini Surge Protector box for my sadly "departed" (and by that, I mean broken) device and saw that my Belkin product has a "Lifetime Warranty." Awesome! So I called the number I found on the website.

The customer service experience: Interestingly, I was helped by a wonderful girl named Heaven. I told her about the product defect and I truly felt she went above and beyond. My Belkin surge protector had been broken for a few months now, I just hadn't tossed it. I almost felt guilty because they were being so helpful to replace it! But, after learning it was covered by the warranty, I was pretty excited.

The return process: Per Belkin's website, one has to speak with a phone representative before getting an item replaced or returned. They have two options for replacement when it's deemed your item is defective: Basic and Advanced (I think it was called advanced). With Basic, you go to the post office and return your item to them (you pay for postage), and when they receive it, they'll send you a new one. With Advanced, which I chose, they send you the product immediately and put a hold on a credit card equal to the value of the product, which gets removed once they receive your old product. You receive the product within 1-2 business days. Seemed like the better option to me, versus waiting forever for a replacement. And I put it on a credit card which notifies me of every transaction. Anyway, now I'm just waiting for the product (I called last night), but I was super pleased with whole process.

The customer call to India resulted in my being told that my PC had the Zeus Virus and that was causing my router not to work. The Belkin support guy set me up with another service tech at Cisco to remove the virus. I was smart to not take the bait, he was charging me $150 to remove the virus. I spent the next day running virus checks with the help of a support service I had. The virus did not exist, they lied and my router still doesn't work.

Just watched my second Belkin router die in the past 3 years... Called "tech support", was told that my 2-year warranty ended 2 months ago and I need special approval to receive a replacement. After arguing and screaming at some Indian people (first guy barely spoke English so I had to hang up and call back) for about 2 hours. I received the authorization!!! Amazing! Then all I needed to do was pay for shipping and give them my credit card number to keep on file. Easy peazy... Why don't I just send over my social security number and my dead grandfather's ashes! Soooo after another 30 min of screaming... I was told to calm down because quote unquote they are doing me a favor by replacing my second broken router instead of what they did last time which was tell me to buy a new one. I believe this is their normal response when customers call to discuss why all their Belkin products are malfunctioning.

So 4 hours into dealing with "Customer support" I had finally screamed, yelled, cursed, and complained enough to receive a replacement router, shipped at Belkin's expense with no credit card on file needed. So in the end I guess I won... but I was told many times about how many exemptions and favors they were making on my behalf. It's nice to know that this company is willing to take care of their customers... if they throw a 2-year-old style tantrum for 4 hours. DO NOT BUY BELKIN!!! IF YOU DO... YOU WILL PAY... AGAIN AND AGAIN... AND AGAIN.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Belkin?

I purchased a pair of Belkin earphones last December from a local retailer. I got it on sale which I thought was a good bargain even though it was still priced at the high-end. But, with just a few months of use, the quality of the sound started to deteriorate having static noises until it won't play anymore. I went back to the retailer together with the receipt to have it replaced due to a factory defect.

I handed the item to the guy on the store to have it checked then told me that it was way beyond the 7-day replacement of the store. I insisted that Belkin products have a 1-year manufacturer's warranty as mentioned before when I purchased it so he told me that he would check on that. He came back giving me the run-around that the jack has already deteriorated voiding the manufacturer's warranty. So much for a product that clamors for quality but won't even last half a year of regular use. I'd rather get those no-frills earphones from Japan Home Store than spending a larger sum for an item that won't last for 6 months.

Both of the keyboard pads came loose and fell off. I called Belkin support and after 20 minutes they said "no support will be offered" and the magnets that hold the Belkin keyboard to the iPad are weak and insecure. Bought from Amazon for $132. No more Belkin for me!

When I purchased an iPad Air 2 a little more than a year ago, I wanted a keyboard case for it. I checked out the reviews and chose the case I was led to believe would be the best choice for me - Belkin Qode Ultimate Pro Keyboard Case. As a Canadian, my challenges began because the product was not yet available in Canada. Belkin in the U.S. would not send it to me and so the only way I could purchase it was to have it sent to a relative in the U.S. who mailed it to me. Hence, I ended up paying postage twice. From the beginning I had difficulty pairing the keyboard case with my iPad Air 2. The connection was unstable. I contacted the Belkin technicians who did not help or admit to me that many of the keyboards are defective. Since I had purchased the product in the U.S., I then repeatedly looked for online support on blogs and did find a little help from others with similar problems.

After many months of stress with it, when the keyboard started going into reverse in the middle of my typing and sometimes stopped working in the middle of an email, I decided to contact Belkin a second time. I explained my history with the keyboard with an agent in the Philippines who admitted to me that the keyboard was likely defective and that many people had had difficulties with these keyboards. He offered to replace it, but, when he received a photocopy of my receipt, informed me that he had checked with his immediate superior and that I would not be receiving a replacement since I was beyond the warranty period. Not even this exceptional situation would be considered, even though I informed the agent that, if that was Belkin's response, I would never purchase a Belkin product again. And I NEVER WILL purchase a Belkin product again.

After a little research, I am now the proud owner of a Zagg Rugged Book for iPad Air 2. Wow!!! What an amazing difference! I now have a quality keyboard case... no connectivity issues, durable silicone rubber protection for my iPad, an amazingly strong magnet to make sure that the keyboard does not separate from the iPad, the ability to set my iPad at a myriad of viewing angles rather than just two with the Belkin, 4 modes of viewing (keyboard, case, video and book modes)... I could go on and on. After a year of stress and an expensive lesson, I am finally happy.

I can describe this company in three words: "piece of **". The tech support is trash. They're non English (proper English) speaking workers in India who only want to take over your computer to either hack your passwords, or bank account info while charging you a fee to fix a problem that takes them over 45 mins, which can actually be done in 5. NEVER use Belkin products unless you have a fetish for annoyance. Someone should really report these people to BBB and have them investigated.

Terrible experience. Tried ordering a $25 item online from the Belkin website with a 25% coupon. The site would not accept the promotion code and I called customer service. After 1 hour on the phone and being directed to 4 departments, I was asked to send a copy of the email verifying the 25% off to the Belkin website (as customer service could not activate the coupon either). I was told that my case would be reviewed and someone would get back to me in 24-48 hours. I explained that this was totally unacceptable as I expected my product to be shipped in that time frame. It was a continuous holding pattern. I went to Amazon, found the same product for more than 25% less and I will receive it with free shipping within 2 days! What a coupon scam!!

Belkin International tried to sell me $99 fix for loss of internet/Roku access due to router issue. Also tried to sell me antivirus/security software that costs $119 initially and $69 per year. Told me it would take 35 minutes to clear more than 8000 corruptions from my desktop computer and get me connected to internet. I declined. Fixed problem myself in less that 10 minutes and saved a lot of money! BEWARE: Belkin just wants to charge you for stuff once a year.

I bought two phone cases and a charger from their online website. On one phone there seems to be this discoloration all over the case which is kind of sad considering that maybe why they're on sale in the first place. Definitely not worth the $7 for that kind of quality. The charger works but there is a kink in it that I can't flatten out.

I purchased on Jan. 25th 2016 from Best Buy store a Belkin router. It worked for less than a month and died. I spent 2 days trying to contact Belkin support to get a replacement. They kept putting me off trying to delay or not replace the router to begin with. They wanted me to hook it up so they could go online and check it. My computer tech tested it and it is dead. Belkin customer service does not exist. They do not want to replace defective items and make it impossible to get service.

Ordered WeMo sensor on the Belkin UK online store. They sent me a "used" product then tried to deny it on the phone. Was told that there was no "complaints department", the agent I was speaking to was in the Philippines, very unhelpful. I had to repeat everything about 4 times. Still not sorted. Very annoying because they have some good products, but it's put me off buying from them now.

Have bought two Belkin products, both of which have been disasters. The router frequently drops from the internet and there is nothing that can be done to get it back on. Called customer service and they informed me that there is a problem and that it will have to be replaced but since it is "out of warranty" they won't do it. Mind you, they have no idea when I actually bought it, they were going entirely upon an honor system and with me being a fool I told them the accurate date of purchase. I also purchased a Ethernet to USB adapter that is apparently not compatible with Windows 8. This too stopped working and they said that there is nothing that can be done. Lesson to be learned: Don't buy Belkin products. They are easily dated and do not work.

I want to write this to warn others. I feel like it's the right thing to do considering Belkin is out to screw customers over. Their wireless routers do an AWFUL job connecting to internet and they know it, which is why they constantly tell customers to SPEND MONEY (!?) for technical service after 80 days. Are you kidding? Spending money on crappy tech service for their lousy product? Disappointing.

I have bought 10 or more of these plastic phone chargers, and they fray after only a couple months and stop working. It is very frustrating paying so much for something that I really need and that doesn't last long at all. Incredibly frustrating when I rely on my phone for work and other important things, and suddenly the charger just stops working. I'm switching to android after this phone to avoid this type of crap in the future.

I called the Technical Support Singapore. Obviously this staff has completely no knowledge at all. All she do is asking me to plug in and unplug, reset and restart the cables between the router, computer and the modem. All I want is to connect the router. She wasted more than an hour of my time and at the end of it, tell me she can't do anything. Her name she says is Nasiah. Not sure is that her real name that she gave. Belkin is such a well known brand and yet don't even have the capability to employ a qualified staff that can do technical support hotline. I really wondered how she got the job in the first place. Really pissed me off totally! I am pleased to announced that I will never buy Belkin brand and will not recommend anyone that i know to purchase anything from Belkin... What is the point of buying item from them and cannot get connected and is of useless to us! Feeling cheated and wasting my life away!

Both the USB plugs do not work. Cell phone can not recharge at all. I got it for this main purpose only to find out this does not have working parts that recharge USB. Now I have to buy others, and review the bad ones now that I already got two new ones already will I get dinged again. Time to read and write reviews.

I had an issue requiring me to contact Belkin to change some settings. Each time I called, I was on the phone for close to an hour. Each time, I had to repeat the details of the problem and pertinent contact information. Each time, I spoke to someone with a thick accent and had a really difficult time understanding what she was saying. I was asked the same questions over and over again. It was an incredibly frustrating experience and my issue was never resolved. I would not recommend buying Belkin products simply because of the poor customer service. The only positive thing I can say is that the women I spoke to were very nice and patient, but just not experienced or clear enough to help me.

Do not buy anything from Belkin EVER! Their products are garbage, they are not updated and their customer support is awful. You WILL come to regret your purchase unless you enjoy paying $30 for a tech support phone call to India that will not solve anything... GOOD LUCK!!

My experience with this company was initially positive but rapidly headed south. My N600 developed a fault after 2 years. The box had lifetime warranty on it and I am lucky that I kept the box and the receipt from the retailer otherwise my claim would not be honored. I was given a return authorization and wanted to send the product back for replacement. They only have a post box in New Zealand for returns but most couriers will only allow track and trace to a physical address. I got around this but the product remained at the post office for 4 days without being picked up. The call center is based in the Philippines so English was not a problem but Belkin's lack of process is.

Every time I called, I was asked not only for the authorization number but to provide my name and email address and to spell my email address - REALLY? It's not on the system against the case number. The call center is either on an hourly rate and want to drag it out or they get a bonus for the length of call. Anyway, I eventually get an email saying the product will be replaced and I will get details within one or two working days. I call four working days later and told the product should be with the courier in 24-48 hours - yeah right. Fat chance of that happening. I've already scheduled calls for next week and the week after that. What a shame this company does not understand that not only does your product have to be good, you also have to have great customer service. I will never NEVER buy another Belkin, not because of the product quality but because of the lack of customer service. I reluctantly give them one star rating. It's too good for them.

The surge protector did not work and my MacBook Pro 'motherboard' was fried after a power outage. I kept the packaging for the warranty, but Belkin refused to honor the warranty. Apple confirmed the cause of damage, and gave me a quote ($400) to submit to Belkin. However, I needed to keep the receipt, and so the warranty was invalid. Very upsetting my laptop was damaged, never buying a Belkin product again.

I bought a charger for my iPad air and it wouldn't charge my iPhone, iPod or iPad air. Unfortunately I lost the receipt. I decided to call technical support and was told it's the wrong item, which it isn't, because it is clearly marked on the box, in several places.. When plugged into my iPad it flashes and beeps. This also happens when plugged into an iPhone, obviously a defective product. Technical support finally listened after a half hour. I got a reference number from Amber. I was told to call customer service and I will be all set and they would send me a new product. Ya right... After trying to speak to a non English speaking woman, being put on hold again, I was told I bought the wrong item again!! I called back technical support and asked for Amber and was told there is no one named Amber who works for them in technical support.

Called tech support for issues with "quick installation" of Belkin N300 extender. Would not install as stated in manual. Tech support rep had a very heavy Indian accent and I had to continuously ask him to repeat himself which made him increasingly more irritable as the conversation went on. He ended up telling me I had all kinds of security issues, scaring me so that I could purchase their "computer fix". I refused as I was skeptical and will check this out with a computer specialist in America.

From reading other reviews this seems to be the case very often, they tell you that people have been hacking into your computer and that you need to get things fixed. I think tech support for Belkin should be termed "overseas salesmen". I am returning my device immediately and buying another brand that does not outsource to foreign countries.

Arranged online chat for guidance with N600 router signal not connecting to Playstation 4. Advised by person on other end that if I call support, they will provide me with the option to 'extend support plan' and provide further advice as support is only offered for 90 days from day of purchase. Issue lies within the router as an old D-Link from 1999 connects straight away. Checked a lot of forums, they all advise that issue is within the router.

I placed an order for an HDMI adapter and my order was shipped UPS and when I go to track it states the USPS will deliver it. I'm on a construction site and USPS stated my site address is invalid unless I get something from the city. I stated this to the rep and all she does is tells me that I have to wait until USPS gets the package for them to do anything. I don't understand why they can't call UPS and tell them to deliver the package directly to us since the driver knows my exact location. Now basically I don't have what I need for work and I will have to wait additionally for them to get a notice from USPS stating my address is undeliverable in order for them to reship my order. I'm about to call my credit card company and refuse the charges and order this product elsewhere. I'm never getting anything from this company again. They are not helpful and to reach them I need to be on hold for 40 minutes. This is ridiculous.

Ok so my older brother bought one of the Belkin wi-fi extenders. After about half an hour of trying to set it up his computer froze. He was mad so called tech support. The person on the phone told him that it wasn't tech support, but he could pay an additional $50 to have someone fix it. My brother in a rage told them no, that he already bought it and wanted it fixed for free. He hung up, about 10 minutes later, they called him. That's right, Belkin called my brother and told him he owes them 50 dollars because he bought their product.

SCAMMERS!! Registered a product for warranty then when I went to replace I was told my case number, name and phone number were not in their system. Stupidly, I bought another one of their products and when I went to register, product registration would not work online so I called and registered then asked for a confirmation email and was told I could not receive one. Connected me to someone they said could help and I was told my product would have to be registered again! Next person verified all info and registered it again. Still could not send me email verification and their website does not provide that information. Spoke to a manager who again said they could not send me a verification email. She told me her manager would call me when she "comes on board" and that they would have to "coordinate with the team" to figure out what is wrong with their online system because I should have received the email.

So I got a router a while back ago. Everything was just fine, no problems, nothing. Then one day I had connection problems. Well I called the support team to try and fix the errors. The first time I called, they said to unplug the router and plug it back in, and blah blah blah, (which obviously it's not solving the issue) and so they said that can charge me an extra fee to get it fixed. Of course I said no because it's outrageously expensive, so I hung up. Then the next time I called, a guy took over my computer and scrolled through junk and said that someone had hacked it, and they could wipe it clean if I wanted to pay a fee. Also neither of the people I have talked to could speak clear english. They sounded like they were from India or something. Belkin is ridiculous, belkin sucks **!!!

Belkin Company Profile