Virgin Mobile

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Virgin Mobile Reviews

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Virgin Mobile Reviews

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I am a Virgin Home internet user for the last one year and my plan was about to finish. I called their loyalty department where I spoke to Mr. **. What an amazing customer agent. He helped me in extending my offer and plan for another year mainly in a matter of mins and also was very helpful and polite. I hope everyone finds people like Mr. ** when dealing with this company. Hire more people like him. Thanks for your help.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I went to Virgin a few years ago and got a plan for unlimited calls, text, and photos in Canada for $55.00 with one gig of data. I went to Buffalo one day early on and I called them to make sure I was only going to pay $5 or 6 per day for unlimited calls and texts in the US and Canada while there. The girl assured me that that was the deal. But before I hung up she asked if I would like another gig for free so I said sure. Now I had 2 gigs. A year later I received an email saying that I had a 3rd gig free for a year. That actually lasted about 1.5 years.

Recently I saw they were offering 4 gigs to get new customers so I called and asked if I could have the extra 2 gigs and they said no problem. I feel that their customer service is second to none. And they run on the Bell system so I get all the Bell quality and my bill is almost half what it was with Bell. I have also switched a couple of years ago to Virgin Cable, also running on the Bell equipment. Much better deal than I had with Cogeco, unlimited data 50 MBPS for $60/month and they said that my price would never increase.... EVER. I brought my own phone to Virgin and I have NO CONTRACT so I can quit the phone or cable any time I want. Oh and when I started the cable I got 3 free months.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I was with Virgin for couple of years and had no problems until I deleted my plan to go to a cheaper plan with a different provider at that time. Virgin still charged me for couple of months after I cancelled my plan. I argued many times and sent them proof that I was with another provider at the time that they charged me for. They finally sent it to the collection agency, ruined my name for any further credit for a lousy $168.00. It's not the money, it's a moral thing now. How can I sue them? Not too concerned about the 168$. More concerned about ruining my name and want to sue for discriminating my name.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Mainly use landline. Keep Virgin mobile flip phone for "just in case". Left five year old flip phone in hotel in SF. Not worth returning to find it, have a backup flip phone, unused, unactivated, at home. Long story short, Abby, with Virgin Mobile, worked with me to keep obsolete flip phone. She even called me back when she found a comparable plan to the one I used to use that was no longer available. Thanks Abby.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

For over ten years we have been a customer of Virgin mobile under their top-up arrangement. This September, we noticed on our Mastercard, charges of over $200 for a three week period in that month. Up until that time we had been paying on average $25 every two months. Customer service refused to provide us with a breakdown of our calls saying only that there were a lot of long distance calls and the calls were valid. That phone has been for emergency and cottage use only and in our minds the usage that month did not change to that degree. Virgin has stone-walled every step of the way refusing to give any help in rectifying this situation. Contrasting this service with Rogers is the difference between night and day.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Virgin Mobile?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I have been with Virgin media pay as you go mobile. Paying approx £10 per month for pay as you go. Now from the 18th of November 2019 this will cost £2 per day ie £62 per month to make between 1 and 200 minutes per day so if I make only 1 call per day I am charged £2 then the texts it’s the same £2 per day for 1 to 200 texts. I think this is a rip-off as if I made 1 call and 1 text per day it will cost me £124 per month. That’s 940 percent more than I pay now. Where is this tip of coming from? Nothing goes up 940 percent. It is as if Virgin media want rid of all pay as you go include a paragraph which is highlighted to switch to some other company. What a cheek and I wish to make a formal complaint against this new changing and charging plan.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

Spent 5 years with Virgin, 3 household accounts. When my phone got stolen, they offered to suspend my account and charge me in full. I asked if they could freeze it until I could afford a new phone, they scoffed and said no. Virgin Employee: dana, Staff ID: **. My current contract has 5 months remaining, and their idea of being good to their customers is to roll out the contract after a device is stolen and to not allow me a month or two so that I can get a new device. I spend 92.00 per month and have paid Virgin household over 215.00 per month. That's more than $2000.00 per year they just lost, because of inconsiderate policies.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I had been with Virgin Mobile for almost ten years. I just recently switched to Sprint and I am very satisfied. Virigin Mobile customer service is too hard to reach and too hard to understand! You cannot activate your phone online. You always have to call. After reviewing Sprint and switching over I do not have anything nice to say about Virgin Mobile. I wish I would of switched sooner! When I switched to Sprint I got to keep my phone and phone number. Since I have a medical license I also didn't have to pay 30$ to switch.

At Sprint you can get more data coverage on their 35$ plan than Virgin Mobile. Also if you use autopay with Sprint your monthly charge becomes 30$. In the 30/35$ plan you also get Hulu. I also liked how I can go to a store and get help if needed. If you are considering using Virgin Mobile as your phone carrier I would recommend using someone else. Like I said I have been with Virgin Mobile for almost ten years but finally I am saying enough is enough.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I'm an Assurance customer. On Google internet it says Virgin Mobile phone is compatible. I spent a little over 58 dollars that I don't have for phone. The phone was late getting to me. I tried to activate for Assurance, not able to. I called Virgin Mobile within 30 minutes of delivery of phone. Was on phone with an annoying rep that again tried to activate phone even after I told him I had already spoke to an Assurance rep and was told phone is not compatible. He guaranteed he was going to help get phone activated. After 20 minutes he informed me of what I had already known. He gives me a phone number I had to call for returns.

I tried the number every hour for 25 hours with a recording they are closed. So next I sent an email and started process of calling their number again. Which unless you're giving them money the automatic telephone system is crazy to speak to someone. Finally I get someone and recorded her giving me the address for return to get refunded. I paid a little over 13 dollars to send phone back FedEx. They got phone back in 2 days. I just received email I'm not receiving a refund. Because I didn't return phone 7 days of purchase....um I sent phone back within 7 days I received it. Hell I didn't get the phone until after 7 days of purchase.... SMH.

So for someone on a fixed income and tight budget. I'm out a little over 70 dollars. To make things worst. Assurance was to charge me 5 dollars shipping to get a free phone from them. I've had their phone over a year. It don't charge properly, it gets hot within 5 to 6 minutes, has static and drops calls. So I don't think the 2 companies are good for those that are low income on budget.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

Virgin Mobile is the worst company I have ever dealt with! First of all, their customer service isn't easy to reach. Then they sent me two trashed phones. They were absolutely no help! After going through everything they offered me a little, but I asked if there was anything else they can do. Then one of their specialists Johnathan wouldn't even transfer me to another person after I had asked him to until I paid more money! I had told him what I had already been offered then he wouldn't even do that!

This company only gives bad customer service (particularly Johnathan) and takes money from people! I would never wish this company (especially Johnathan) on any one! They kept on transferring me to more people and then the call would drop and I would have to start all over. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with. If your phone doesn't work (no service or anything) they won't help you. What ever you do, don't buy from Virgin Mobile. It is worth spending whatever money it takes to go with another company.

Virgin Mobile expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Virgin Mobile USA is a subsidiary of Sprint and offers prepaid plans for smartphones and basic phones. The company operates in countries outside the United States under different ownership. It has been in business since 2002, and the U.S. headquarters are in Kansas City, Mo. They primarily offer unlimited plans, but custom pay-as-you-go plans may be available from select retail locations.

• Music streaming: Virgin Mobile customers with unlimited plans can stream music from one of the company’s partner apps, including Spotify, Pandora and others, without it counting against their high speed data usage.

• Data Packs: Customers who occasionally need extra data but don’t need a high-data plan every month can purchase Data Packs from their online Virgin Mobile account. Extra data is available for as little as $5 and is available for one month.

• Lost phone protection: If customers lose their phone, they can contact Virgin Mobile to have their service immediately suspended. Once they have a new phone, they can have the remaining service time and data transferred to their new phone.

• Additional features: Interested customers can add several features to their phone for an additional fee, including mobile hotspot connectivity, visual voicemail and text-to-landline service. They can also add CallWatch, which alerts customers to calls likely coming from telemarketers, bill collectors or scammers.

• International plans: Customers who regularly make calls to other countries can add international service to their plan for an additional monthly fee. Multiple international options are available to meet different customers’ needs.

• Best for: Virgin Mobile is best for parents and budget-conscious customers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs