Virgin Mobile

Compare Prepaid Phones

Research top Prepaid Phones recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

After a week of trying to get a refund of money taken from my account when they had been informed that I wanted auto-debit shut off, this is where I have ended up with the Virgin Mobile team... Congratulations. Once again, I have had to phone your absolutely useless, NON-CANADIAN BASED, customer service and request my money be refunded to me. How many times does a customer have to tell you they want the money YOU STOLE from them back?!? I am not interested in your credit! The actual rep that claimed to be a supervisor named Mario finally said he will process a cheque which I will receive within 10 to 20 days (a full 5 days after first requesting it be returned).

Your level of customer handling is sub-par at best. Perhaps if you actually had any experience with the North American customer base, you would have READ the email(s) below and CALLED ME as requested (especially after requesting in my initial calls that a supervisor return my calls). I will do my very best to discourage ANYBODY from using your services EVER. Your company, as far as I can see, is made up of liars and incompetents, and they can't even get their stories straight as to what your policies are. Please feel free to watch the web for any of my scathing and derogatory commentary, because I WILL be very vocal about this issue.

You really should be feeling ashamed of yourselves, but my experience over the last week with your reps has taught me that you will only be reacting with a "This is not my fault" attitude and effrontery that you are not entitled to. I do NOT believe any of the sentiments of apology expressed by "Sindi" in your response email at this point, mostly because you simply do NOT do anything to back them up or resolve the issues at hand. I never asked for anything FREE, just my money returned, or NOT TAKEN in the first place. I will switch providers as soon as this contract runs out. SHAME ON YOUR COMPANY!!! I will lodge a complaint with the CCTS and include all of the pertinent documentation. The only thing that makes me feel good about this experience is reading the countless other horror stories on the web about customer service from your company. At least I am not alone in this.

Do NOT contact me again with your unwanted, dishonest and completely ineffectual responses. JUST SEND ME MY MONEY!!! I will now be counting down the days until I receive my refund of $193.65 CANADIAN FUNDS. If not received by the 31st of July, 2017, I will contact the RCMP fraud division. With the sincerest wish that all of your employees are forced to experience this abhorrent level of "customer service" daily.

I bought my daughter a Virgin Mobile prepaid for her first cell phone, within 5 months the screen went fuzzy and stopped working. I paid a fee for a replacement phone, and mailed the old phone back using the pre-addressed envelope that was provided along with the replacement phone. I paid the monthly fee for the month of June, but her phone was suspended because they hadn't received the old phone. It's been over 3 weeks and her service is still suspended as they claim they never received the old phone. I have asked for a refund of the money I spent for the month of June; however they have refused to refund me the money and refused to reinstate her service. I have called customer service numerous times and they keep repeating the same nonsense over and over. Poor customer service.

I have recently switched from VM to Verizon because of lousy customer service, slow service, lost service and various other frustrations. Had VM for several years and initially it was great. But - avoid this company at all costs. When my husband bought a new phone and called to set it up, VM needed a different line to work from. They would state that they would call you back within 2 hours. Never did. You would have to call them - so you could be told that they would call you back within 2 hours. I lost the use of my phone for 9 days on that horror. VM credited his account for the lost time, but not mine. I returned my new phone to the store and kept the old one instead of dealing with that mess.

Last time I called customer service they kept putting me on hold for 6 hours before I finally just hung up. Husband's new phone also had a 'new provider' that expired on 5/31/17. To keep service, spent hours on hold. For 4 days - no one ever answered. We went to Verizon on 5/31 and were set up and running in 45 minutes with much faster service. Haven't missed any of my mother's phone calls since. (You may recognize how important it is not to blow mom off). You cannot understand what any of their customer service reps are saying except for 'HOLD'. They put you on hold for infinity (if you stay there) and put your entire life on hold for days - if you stay there - locking up your phone as well as someone else's since you can't have anything done to your phone if you are on your phone when you call them.

If you stay on the line for that duration and customer service actually answers, they are rude, combative, argumentative, and diffusional (your fault, not theirs -according to them, no matter what the problem is). I believe customer service for this company is simply in place to frustrate you or to put you off. We were fortunate to go with the monthly top up instead of a contract so had no attached accounts that could be compromised. I loathe this service, had to keep myself from throwing my phone or smashing it under whatever was handy. Save yourself the headache and frustration and go somewhere else.

I have been with Virgin Mobile for a very long time. Bought a 100.00 phone from Sprint once about a year ago and activated it but Talk back wouldn't shut up and even techs at the stores couldn't figure out how to shut it off. I got mad and left it at the store and never got my money back so I went back to Virgin Mobile. A couple of months ago I bought a iPhone5, don't know if it is the phone or service. For 60.00 a month I had unlimited data, the problem was the data didn't connect most of the time. Called Virgin Mobile and was told to go to another phone and call back. The problem with that is I live out in the boonies. This month I changed my plan and within 30 minutes all my data is gone.

They have charged me £100 and when I called they said I have used too much data when I use wifi at home and work. How can I use too much data? They charged me on cancelling the contract too. Customer service not very helpful. Shouldn't even be working to be honest. Not professional. They need some good training. I wouldn't go back with them. 4 years I was with them. They are losing quite a lot of customers. All my friends was with Virgin Mobile now they are with different providers and now am with a different provider. Before joining them make sure you guys do good research and have plenty of money to waste. Won't recommend this service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Virgin Mobile?

It all started when I would pay my bills and they would call or send a text trying to collect on the amount paid, when I call to dispute they would let me know that they never received it and I would make them aware that I was log in to my Virgin Mobile account and could see that I had a zero balance. This went on for the past 2 years which they denied. So the final straw was I made the full monthly payment of $50.29 and I received a text saying, "Thank you for your payment arrangement" so I called them immediately and told them I did not make a payment arrangement. Went on my Virgin account and once again it was at a zero balance owing. They said that they would correct it and send a text to confirm which they never did. Instead I received a text saying, "Thank you for updating your information" which I never did.

Upon looking at my Virgin Mobile account profile they put an address that was not mine. Call once again that I did not make that change. That’s not my address and they insisted that I did. They cut my phone line saying that the payment was not received which was the same payment that they sent me a text saying that I made a payment arrangement (never happen). While on my Virgin Mobile account there was no amount owing. The billing agent said that they have the amount but had not processed it yet on their side. After all this and cutting my phone they said I needed to pay the same unprocessed bill on a visa which I refused to give them my card (since they have defrauded my visa prior) so I got a prepaid visa and paid the amount of 50.00 so my account is now credited with and extra $50, May 5, 2017 is my new billing cycle, my payment is due on the 25 of may for the amount of 50.58.

At this point I decided to leave them. Paid my last amount owing $50.58. Now they are trying to collect a reconnection fee of $35.00. Confirmed by Alan ** that they received final payment and nothing was owing. Now they are calling me from (514)798-1571 stating I owe $26.00 and they will be sending me to collections, which they have no right too. NOTE: VIRGIN MOBILE WILL DELETE RECORDS AND CONVERSATIONS THAT DOES NOT SHINE A GOOD LIGHT ON THE COMPANY. Fact they deny conversation that they had with my bank supervisor and I on a three way conversation. When we contacted them back about that conversation they said that never happen and it’s not on file so I contacted the bank and the have the conversation if I need it.

I have been with Virgin Mobile for eight years and have had nothing but problems. Keep getting ripped off. 2 years ago buy iPhone 5c I blew up. They can't do nothing about it. Out $580 still stuck with them. They convinced me they would take care of it. Last two years have had nothing but terrible Androids. Two weeks ago I decided I was going to go to Metro PCS. They decided after two years that they were able to send me an iPhone 5S after saying for two years they couldn't do nothing about it. I had $60 in my account balance while waiting on my new phone to get here which took two weeks because one of the representatives forgot to send it out. During that two weeks they restarted my plan so now I have to pay my plan again. Only had my phone for 2 days now. I had a Stylo S2 that had no life to it at all. Wouldn't even power on after two days of receiving it. I got told to go out and buy my own battery and they would reimburse me my money back.

After I bought it I called them and they decided to send me an iPhone 5S. So I went out and spent $21 on a battery then didn't even get sent the same phone the battery goes to and they can't do nothing about it. And their system took the $20 out of my account on the 7th of the month with my plan isn't due till the 23rd of the month. But of course there's nothing they can do about that either. So now my phone bill is due in a week and I bought a battery and they're not reimbursing me for that either. All this company wants is your money. It's $15 to talk to a representative. Pretty ** 8 years with the most ** company you can ever go through.

To begin with, I bought a $55 unlimited plan which showed that I had 12,287 megabytes on one page and when I got ready to use my WiFi again which was saying I had 6898 megabytes left but wouldn't connect. Well to my surprise on another Web page that's Virginia Mobile it said I didn't have any more megabytes to use. Well I called customer service which is hard to get a human to talk with, I explained and they said all my megabytes were gone. Well I flipped out but I do know that somehow this company takes your money. Then as a courtesy to me they start my plan over with my extra money on my account.

Now I am out of $85 for a monthly plan. If I was rich I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it not to last. This is not the first time this has happened. I would never recommend this to no one. Customer service is a joke on you. They will make you mad. Well I have talked and talked with these people and something's wrong with their system or is it possible that it's fixed that to rip us customers off. WELL PEOPLE DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!! Been a customer for more than 5 years!

Found out after a paid for the next month of service that Virgin Mobile was shutting down my phone service with no explanation what so ever on 5-31-17. I called about a hundred times to find out why and to discuss my options like they said, but after 5 1/2 hours of being on hold they shut down the phone number that they provided to help all of us down. So now I don't have a phone, zero answers as to what is going on, and they stole my money! Buyer beware!!!

I tried to make my payment and they told me I had to call another number to switch to Virgin Mobile USA. After an hour and a half setting up that account, they took my payment from my cc card. And my service didn't work. For three days I called... 12 times total... 14 hours on the phone, mostly on hold. Got hung up on 10 times after more than 45 min waiting. Then I got a supervisor on the phone. He put me on hold claiming to be "looking into it". I waited 15 min, then the call dropped. Called back, found out my account was suspended.

Since then I've been told I would get a refund by two different people, now, 10 days later, I'm told they won't issue a refund because I used the phone for more than 3000 seconds... calling them to fix the problem. How can they get away with this? I record my calls. I have proof that I was told I would get refunded and yet there seems to be no recourse. I've recently gone to a different company, but I don't care if it's $45 or $5, stealing is stealing. Why is nobody pressing charges against these thieves???

Me, my family and friends, everyone that I know complains about their cell phone's unexplainable high monthly bills and over time we call. They say the same thing, "You went over you data." I literally used my cellular data couple of times last month and they charged me $15, so it's really obvious they're stealing from us. I also talked to a very rude employee, he thinks he is smart and I'm just like "Chill, you're a 30 years old man who is still working as a customer service rep." LOL! But whatever, when my contract is done I will switch to Fido or something. All my friends and family are switching to. Just wanted to say this, have a good day everyone. :)

After being a customer for over 2 years, with 5 cell numbers but they have now lost me as customer. For 3 months I have called in every month saying something is wrong with my daughter's phone. They are trying to tell me here data is at 7GB - every other month she uses under 1GM per month, she does not have FB, no games on her phone. She is on it 1/8 less than her 2 brothers. I have maintained for 3 months. Something needs to be done as this is definitely not correct. The iPhone shows in the cellular data usage section that she is using not more than 600 MB a month yet they maintain that if their system shows it it must be right and that I can't possible know what my daughter is doing on it (they said they would believe me if I said I wasn't on it but because I'm saying my daughter isn't they won't believe me)!!! That is crazy...

My family is not a typical unconscious, unconnected family. I'm VERY SURE what my kids are doing on it! I even took it into a cell store and the person there could see what the phone says it is using and that she has no games, no FB - he said there is something wrong with the phone but Virgin maintains "Well I can't see that and our system is right and I can't trust my daughter". What are you to do with that kinda service??? SWITCH!! I hope your phone never has a software issue that will keep getting charged for with no help. Nightmare!

I never have a problem with connections. I have used this service from CA to New Mexico and New York, and I always get a good connection. Site is easy to use and payments are easy to make online. NO one else in this area can beat their prices. I plan on using them indefinitely and I highly recommend them to anyone who is in an area where their service is available. After moving to Desert Hot Springs a number of years ago, I tried several different mobile services but theirs is the best available here, the most reliable, and also the least expensive. I am very pleased with my plan and hope it never changes.

Didn't give any help. When phone says it's at 3.1 g and then they are telling me that I'm at 3.25 g and also says they sent out warning text but never got any, horrible service. Will hopefully switch companies soon.

I got stonewalled by their "Customer service" people today. I posted about it on Facebook. I was encouraged to get in touch by private message. I did. I then waited all night for a phone call that never came. Their "Customer service" is a disgrace. I'm not a customer anymore. I never will be again.

Thank goodness I used the chat and requested a copy emailed to self. New customer and found was near monthly limit just before going out of town on business. Accessed the online chat help and support rep advised 38 minutes calling left on plan and 16MB data - this is in writing. We do an upgrade. One week later I receive my bill - the upgrade has been processed (I wasn't dreaming) and there is an additional charge of $31.00 in over-limit calls! So I telephone, certain that the problem will be handled courteously and professionally - my mistake. Am connected to a nasty young man who tell me that I was being charged overtime from April 14 (my upgrade chat was on the 19th). I have been on hold for the time it has taken to set up an account on this site, and write this review. I am fairly certain that this is a passive aggressive tactic on his part because of my insistence that the charge be reversed.

These are the rudest people I've ever had the misfortune of speaking with. I don't understand how the hell they keep any customers, and from the complaints I'm seeing, their entire customer service department is in need of a major overhaul. What these people fail to realize is that there is a cellphone carrier on practically every corner these days, so if you want to keep your customers, get these unprofessional people out of your call center immediately. You guys are not the only game in town! To be honest, my problems with Virgin Mobile have been month-after-month. There is no particular isolated incident that has affected my decision to leave this phone company.

I paid my husband's phone bill yesterday only to find his line suspended over .45 cents today... ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I called customer service to see why this happened, and the customer service associate argued with me about the phone being on. This man (I didn't get his name) told me that they showed the phone still being active, but their own automated system told me the line was not on and that I needed to add .45 cents. I told him that I know for a fact the phone is not, and he says, "How do you know, you don't even have the phone?" I am beginning to lose my patience at this point.

I told him that I no longer wanted to talk to him and put me a manager on the phone. He put me on hold and left me there, and when he saw I wasn't hanging up, rather than allowing me to run up his hold time, or completely disconnecting the call which is grounds for automatic termination in any call center worth its salt. He chose to put me back in cue so I would be placed on hold and sent to another representative. Mind you, I've worked in a call center before, so I know what happened, especially when no one ever came to the phone and you get the welcome message to enter all of your information all over again.

The second representative was way better, and he credited me the .45 cents after claiming that an international call was made, which is another lie. What international call is only .45 cents? He has no one to talk to internationally at that. I think they took that money for those couple text messages we sent after I put the money in his account to pay the bill. That's where that .45 cents went! At any rate, even if he did make a .45 cent international call, what type of phone company cuts their customers off for that? That is about as low as you can go. Like I said, I've had tons of problems with them, this is just one incident of many. I'm tired of them!!

On top of that, my husband works in another state because that's where the money is to provide for our family, therefore, I handle all of our domestic business. I sent him a text after I paid it to let him know it was paid, and for them to cut him off makes it seem like I lied to my husband, and I'm not handling our business. I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT!

When I receive my monthly data, I won't even use it 5 minutes (with wifi) before it says I'm out of data. They have been a terrible company, and customer service is awful. I cannot wait to switch off their service! I do not recommend for anyone. I'm highly disappointed, and I will not miss their service!

I am sending an email to express how extremely unsatisfied with this service. I have been a Virgin mobile customer for around 3 years now and I've had the premium protection plan for around 19 months. I recently had to utilize my protection plan just to find out that the SmartCare plan sent me a refurbished not "like new" phone to me just so it could break without me touching it within 24 hours. After the first phone broke on me I called the SmartCare line to request a new phone that will not break on me. The SmartCare team told me that the model of my phone is on backorder and I would have to wait 7-10 business days. I made it clear that I did not want a refurbished phone sent to me due to the fact that the screen is prone to break after its original is replaced. I need my phone for life and work purposes and whoever is reading this email will know what it is like to not have a phone in any setting.

On top of this I have been waiting past the 10 business day mark for backorder on the model of my phone which is the Samsung s6. I have been paying for a phone bill that I don't have a phone to use for about 3 weeks now. I'm a student. The SmartCare team lied to me about the 10 business days for the backorder of my phone and just to find out they are going to send me a refurbished phone that will likely break.

I have been with Virgin Mobile for several years now (more than 10 years) and have been happy with their service on my pre-paid phone. That all changed when I had to update my phone to accommodate a change to the 4G network. Virgin provided a new SIM card free of charge, so things were looking good. But that all changed once I put the new SIM card into my phone. It is now completely unreliable. At first Customer Service was helpful, but I had to turn my phone off, take out and then put back in the new SIM card. That procedure worked for about 2 hours. Repeating that procedure worked about 50% of the time. Then customer service simply placed me on hold when I phoned to report ongoing problems. I was very angry on the last call and was placed on hold again. They clearly do not value their customers.

With the last month or so, I got a call more Virgin Mobile stating that I was a loyal customer, my contract was almost up, and I qualified for a new phone. The phone I was using wasn't working like it used to and I was told it would only be a 15 dollar fee for the phone and also my contract would be renewed. It sounded like a pretty good idea until I got my current bill for this bill cycle and was charged for more services that I was not told about. I called Virgin, obviously quite upset, and told them I didn't understand what was going on. She told me getting a new phone would cost more than the 15 dollars. The problem with that is, I was never told any of that previously.

I told the lady I felt duped anfd. I am a single mother and if I had known this, I would have never bothered to get a new phone and would have bit the bullet. I expressed my displeasure which ended up with me and this lady going back and forth for 30 minutes or so. At some point in the conversation, she laughed at me. I got nowhere last night. I was even told I could not sent the new phone back. I eventually hung up, very stressed out. I am disgusted with Virgin Mobile. Is this how they treat loyal customers? I am a single mother that is now scrambling to pay the phone bill. I am writing this review so that everyone knows a manipulative and horrible this company is, and how they are sharks who will lie to get their way. Do not trust Virgin mobile and find a different phone company.

I have been a Virgin Mobile customer for eighteen years and have found them to be very reliable. They have really good deals for their cell phones on their online site. All I can say is check out Virgin Mobile's site for yourselves.

The services provided are good. The motto of the company changes with the constant phone upgrades. The monthly fees are suitable and you can flex from monthly to prepaid. I always appreciate the styles of phones that are offered by Virgin Mobile.

Coverage ultimately became the prime factor. After two years for ten dollars more I got more coverage in more places and more data with another cell company.

I've been a Virgin mobile customer for over 10 years. Their customer service is always excellent, their phones are reasonably priced, and they have a buy-back program for their phones.

I have been a loyal customer of Virgin Mobile (VM) for a cumulative of about 2 years. I recently started back with them last year after moving back home. I paid $80 for my phone and have been very satisfied with the service. However, this last issue has me highly upset and ready to change carriers. I have been having a lot of issues with my microphone, and because of that, people on the other line cannot hear me when I make a call. I spoke with customer service and after going through the troubleshooting, they found that I needed to get my phone replaced and that I would need to speak to the manufacturer of my phone, HTC. HTC tested my phone and they found that both of my microphones were bad, but the receiver and speaker was fine. They told me that I would have to wait 2 weeks to get it replaced, in addition to the time needed to verify the receipt I sent them.

I am a single mother and need a phone so I went back to Virgin Mobile for assistance. The first associate and the manager April were very nice, and she said she was sending me to sales to see what my options are. I wanted to get a different phone of equal or lesser value of the phone I had. Since this is the first time I am having this issue and it was only 4 months since I bought the phone, I thought it would be ok to get this taken care of. I was wrong. The department she sent me to was actually the tech dept, and the associate was rude and getting upset out the gate when I told him the issue. I was going to have to pay $25 because it is a set fee per policy or I can just buy a new phone. I demanded a manager. The second manager was even more incompetent and rude than the associate. He basically made it out to be my fault and outright refused to help with anything.

I am taking my money elsewhere and am highly disappointed with this; I am also sharing this as far as the internet will take it. I have had little to no issues with VM and I have left before only because of moving into areas where the signal is little to null. Every time I moved where I could use it, I used it. This issue is all too common in customer service, and I know that.

However, having been a customer service agent for almost 10 years, I have never treated someone like that. I always try to put my best foot forward, and I truly hope I just got a few bad apples here. Either way, there needs to be an enforcement here of a lot more decorum and class when you are talking to people who support your company. I truly hope that the policies change with VM so that we as customers don't have to be inconvenienced for basically no reason. I will not return as a customer without a written apology and a full refund of the defective phone and my last bill payment, about $120.

Service is lousy outside of your home area. Will not work in buildings right in town and when you go out of town you have no service.

I want to preface the with a statement that me and my husband have been customers of Virgin Mobile for over 10 years. On 2/28/2017 I purchased a VMU LG Tribute 2 New Handset Kit on sale from a live Virgin Mobile agent and verified that the phone was available. They sent me an email saying my phone had been shipped on 3/10/2017. When it arrived it turned out to be an iPhone SE. We called about this and were told that the phone we ordered was not available. We were not given any explanation as to how this happened, but we were told to send them a picture of the phone we received in an email for them to process my refund. Needless to say this did not happened. Two days later I had to argue with them to get them to send me a prepaid label to send the phone back to them because I refused to pay for shipping the wrong phone back to them.

They received the phone on 3/19/2017. They always say, "They have to send the case to the back office with the USPS tracking number to review it" before they can process the refund which I SHOULD receive in 7 - 10 business days from today 3/24/2017. 45 days to get a refund for a mistake they made. I am through with Virgin Mobile and will tell everyone I know about this experience. STAY AWAY FROM VIRGIN MOBILE.

Great service, experience and people. They help you if you have any issues. Would recommend them first. Had T-mobile 10 years. Virgin was my first service. I came back to it and am very happy with my phone and service.

I recently switched from Sprint to Virgin Mobile. Before the switched I looked at Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T and Straight Talk as well. I did some homework and the conclusion is that Virgin Mobile is by far the best value. For sake of time, I'll compare Virgin Mobile and one other leading carrier, Verizon: (All prices were taken from the Virgin Mobile and Verizon websites on 3/14/17).

Say you buy the iPhone SE 16 GB outright and go with the unlimited plan with unlimited talk, text and data. Through Virgin Mobile, the phone will cost you $179.99 and the plan, $65 a month. At Verizon, you'll pay $399.99 for the phone and $85 a month for the same plan. The numbers don't lie. With Virgin Mobile, you'll save $220 right off the bat for the phone and you'll also save $20 each month on the plan. That equals out to be $480 over the course of two years. Add that up and the difference is shocking! The savings are even bigger if you go with an iPhone 6 or 7. There is no difference with the coverage and customer service with all the major carriers are the same: they all suck. So save some money and go with Virgin Mobile.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Virgin Mobile USA is a subsidiary of Sprint and offers prepaid plans for smartphones and basic phones. The company operates in countries outside the United States under different ownership. It has been in business since 2002, and the U.S. headquarters are in Kansas City, Mo. They primarily offer unlimited plans, but custom pay-as-you-go plans may be available from select retail locations.

• Music streaming: Virgin Mobile customers with unlimited plans can stream music from one of the company’s partner apps, including Spotify, Pandora and others, without it counting against their high speed data usage.
  • Data Packs: Customers who occasionally need extra data but don’t need a high-data plan every month can purchase Data Packs from their online Virgin Mobile account. Extra data is available for as little as $5 and is available for one month.
  • Lost phone protection: If customers lose their phone, they can contact Virgin Mobile to have their service immediately suspended. Once they have a new phone, they can have the remaining service time and data transferred to their new phone.
  • Additional features: Interested customers can add several features to their phone for an additional fee, including mobile hotspot connectivity, visual voicemail and text-to-landline service. They can also add CallWatch, which alerts customers to calls likely coming from telemarketers, bill collectors or scammers.
  • International plans: Customers who regularly make calls to other countries can add international service to their plan for an additional monthly fee. Multiple international options are available to meet different customers’ needs.
  • Best for Virgin Mobile is best for parents and budget-conscious customers.

Compare Prepaid Phones