Virgin Mobile

Compare Prepaid Phones

Research top Prepaid Phones recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I've never experienced this incredible amount of bad customer service and terrible business practices. I ordered a 32GB iPhone 6s with overnight shipping ($500+) on Nov. 14. Today is Nov 29th and according to VM customer service, the phone still has no tracking number and they cannot tell me why, an ETA, or any other information regarding my purchase. I can only assume the phone is backordered or that they no longer have iPhones in stock, but no one will tell me the truth in this matter. I have heard excuses ranging from "FedEx delays" to "Sprint shipment delays" etc.

I was scheduled to receive a call everyday regarding this matter with a "manager" named "Daniela" (I am using the quotation marks because I am convinced the same small team of people use fake names)... she called me once. I've been hung up on, lied to, and just plain disrespected as a paying and loyal customer for years. I've never experienced this incredible amount of bad customer service and terrible business practices. I feel like I've been "taken" by some crooked scheme. I have now been on hold with Sprint for the past 30 mins, who seem reluctant to help me as well...

I applied to work at Virgin Mobile kiosk in Pembroke Ontario. I was surprised when I got a call from them to be interviewed. I had been a client of theirs for 5 years, and really enjoy cellular devices so I felt this would be a good placement for me. They interviewed me over the phone and asked me to come in the next day at 7 am for the job interview. I showed up at 7 am and the Kiosk and Mall were closed. Once the mall opened and I got inside I sat down on a bench with 2 other men and waited for my turn to be interviewed.

The women interviewed the 2 men first and never came back from me. I went to find her after waiting an hour, but the mall and kiosk was closed. So I left a note tacked to their kiosk with my information asking them to call me. I never heard from them. When I called corporate I found out that the manager lied and said she had interviewed me when she never had. Pembroke is a small town where everyone knows everyone else. I was astonished to learn through the grapevine that the manager had no intention of ever hiring me. She hired her 2 sons, and their girlfriends….

I bought a new phone through Virgin and the same day I purchased it, it started malfunctioning. It was sending texts and making phone calls, as well as turning on and off by itself. I went back the same day showed them what was happening as proof, to ask for an exchange or refund and they refused. My dad had to come to the kiosk with me. The manager refused to give us her ID number or name. It’s only after my dad and I used his cell phone to call Virgin and complained on the phone with customer service for over 2 hours in the mall, that someone on the phone, forced the manager at the kiosk, to replace our phone for another new identical one, which worked well.

Virgin mobile says their plans come with unlimited picture messaging. But once you start using their plan you learn this is simply not true. Every picture message you send uses data. I called customer service many times to ask for an explanation, and got different answers each time. Every time I went to Virgin to top up my minutes the people who worked at the kiosk would turn away from me, after servicing a customer before me they would suddenly tell me their computers were malfunctioning and that they couldn’t service me.

As soon as I walked away they would help service the customer after me. I told my friends and family this and they disbelieved me. So I got my dad to come with me to the mall and go to the kiosk before me, and then I’d show up. He was shocked to see them refuse to serve me, face me, or talk to me. He confronted the manager there saying “Look you just serviced me. You lied to my daughter that your system was down, but as soon as she walked away, you serviced the customer after her." The manager said that my dad was lying, and he must have imagined it.

My dad said he’d watched it happen, he wasn’t lying, and he’s not crazy. This problem continued however every single time I went to the kiosk for help, service, or to top up my minutes, they would refuse to service me. I soon learnt to take a friend, or one of my parents with me, who would have to talk with the manager first while I hid around the corner, and then while they were servicing my parents or friend, get my parents or friend, to get them to service me, and I went through this hullabaloo of them telling me their machines were down, and my friend or parent arguing on my behalf, saying their system was working when they serviced the person directly before and after me.

This went on for every time I tried to top up my minutes, or deal with one of their representatives directly. After a year of this the people working there got to know who my parents and friends were, and it became impossible to deal with them in person or directly. This is when I cancelled my pay as you go plan, and switched over to a different carrier FIDO.

I don't normally write reviews but I felt this necessary. I was a loyal Virgin Mobile customer for 4.5 years. I paid my bills on time. Interacted with your benefits sections and was a promoter for the company. I was only a month by month plan when I left but this was purely because my old plan had run its course and I decided to stay with it for the short term.

Recently a new plan was announced by virgin and fido in order to counter another provider here in BC. The deal was 4GB a month, unlimited international texts and local calling. Who needs canada wide these days, and indeed international calling, with facetime audio so this deal was a no brainer. Fast forward to calling Virgin. I spent an hour on the phone, spoke to three different people, and was utterly dismissed. I spent the majority of that time listening to cheesy hold music broken only momentarily by moments of 'no we cannot do it'.

I asked why, obviously, whenever presented with this and was told I wasn't a new customer so I wasn't worthy of this plan. 4.5 years and $3640 later, I wasn't worthy. I got given many excuses and many reasons but the short end is this was all lies. Fido held lineups that assisted the swarms of customers with grabbing this new deal and guess what everyone THEY LET THEIR CURRENT CUSTOMERS TAKE IT AS WELL.

Needless to say I ended the call on a good note as I was obviously not going to get anywhere, many experiences have taught me so, walked right to a fido stand and changed my carrier. During my time there I witnessed not only new customers getting assisted with this great deal but current customers as well. Even though the workers had obviously had a tough week they were extremely helpful and even gave me a free easier number to remember! I wanted to keep my old one but when they offered me the chance to keep it OR pick my own number I took it as it would look better on a business card.

The end of this story means that I work in one of the richest companies on the globe and used to promote Virgin as a carrier. So it wasn't just the money the company got from me but the customers I pointed in that direction. I am a promoter no more. One phone call managed to lose you $3640 dollar over the foreseeable future but mainly you've lost a big promoter. How customer service works for some companies I do not know. Virgin has been taken over by Bell as well so I can only guess both companies work in the same fashion. One thing I'll say to you all, don't go with virgin or bell. If this story shows anything it's that you will receive no loyalty, no customer service and be left out to dry when you need help. I'll be posting this on all my social media outlets, blogs and beyond to make unsuspecting customers aware.

Although VM did resolve the problem it was only after a detailed very paragraph where their initial response was untrue. I've had two phones on their system for many years, on plans that are grandfathered and no longer available to new customers. The problem was that I received messages on my phone as well as email messages that my account was past due and about to be cancelled. I've been on automatic payment for years and this has never happened like this before.

I used their contact menu rather than the phone because I know how bad that can be. The response I got was that I didn't have my account set up for automatic payment and was only set up to pay when my balance got below $5.00. Both of those statements were untrue. Then they described how I could make my payment online but if I wanted them to do it for me I would have to pay a $3.00 convenience fee.

I replied to their letter with my comments in red, interspersed with their bogus claims, and suggested that I should be charging them an "Inconvenience Fee" for the trouble they were causing. Much to my surprise, I got a message that they had applied an automatic payment to my account in less than 30 minutes. But I have no actual response to my message itself.

I've been with Virgin Mobile a few years now. I just switched to T-Mobile tonight because I want to be able to use my phone in Canada (that's prohibited by Virgin Mobile, but allowed with T-Mobile). These are my final thoughts on Virgin Mobile. For general inquiries (account updates/changes, etc) their customer service is adequate. You can tell they're based in some far flung corner of the earth but as long as they can understand, and execute, my request that's all I care. And, for the most part, they've been able to do that for me over the past few years.

For serious problems you NEED to go to Sprint's executive team. There comes a point where Virgin Mobile's customer service is just in over their head. The following Sprint executive team person was a valuable resource to me when I encountered a serious issue with Virgin last year. I bought a $500 phone through the Virgin website and I was charged $1500. Chris not only got the charges erased from my credit card, but he gave me the $500 phone for free. I won't ever forget that. Of course I had to use my talents and abilities to get a hold of him in the first place (Virgin Mobile themselves never would've helped me like he did... but...)

Keep in mind this is a bare bones phone carrier. You do get what you pay for. Or you could say you don't get what you don't pay for. Tonight, I needed my Virgin account number in order to port my number to T-Mobile. That information is seemingly withheld from Virgin customers. There is only way to get that information, and that's to call the Virgin customer service team and ask for the 'account number' department. To me, that doesn't seem like the best way to do business but it is what it is.

Lastly, as soon as I ported my number tonight, they immediately deleted my account. I called them a few minutes after the porting processed and they didn't even recognize my account anymore. It was like I never existed to them. Obviously I'm out the 2 weeks I prepaid 'til the end of the month. I don't care about that... I'm just saying... this is a bare bones operation. People have to understand that. If you want red carpet service from a phone carrier then you're likely going to have pay $100/month to get it.

My wife remains with Virgin Mobile. It works for her and I think that's great. They recently upgraded her to 5 GB/month of data (from 1 GB/month) at no extra charge, just because I asked them if they would. If you don't travel internationally, and 5 GB/month of data is sufficient (for many of us it is) - and $35/month is in your price range, I would have no problem recommending Virgin Mobile to you. They're not perfect. But, again, you get what you pay for. And for $35/month, for the past few years, it has been worth it to me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Virgin Mobile?

Every single month is a nightmare to top up. You add money and your phone won't unlock, so you are forced to sit on the phone with a foreigner that you barely understand for upwards of 30 minutes to go through multiple steps to unlock it. This month was extra special for me, my phone service was cut off a week ago, I IMMEDIATELY paid. The phone service would not restore. I sat on the phone for 30 minutes with a tech trying to unlock the service only to be told a specialist would call within 4-24 hours (that the problem was not my phone but their system). Of course that never happened.

I waited 6 days, called back, Sat on hold for 25 minutes to be told it is a widespread problem, many angry customers, they don't know what's wrong and can't estimate when I'll have my phone back. Nice customer service Virgin Mobile. So, when do I get my $$ back for the service I prepaid for and am not getting? DO NOT waste your time with this company, you have been warned. I'm leaving and they can keep my prepaid $$ as a parting gift.

If you choose to use Virgin Mobile, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT purchase the phone from Wal-Mart. If you do purchase it from Wal-Mart, you will receive the worse customer service ever. For instance, I was on hold today for over 1.5 hours waiting to speak to a customer service rep. However, I got tired of waiting and called again from a landline and they picked up on the first ring. As soon as I told them that I purchased the phone at Wal-Mart, I was instantly put back on hold for another 45 minutes. Then, when someone finally picked up the phone, they cannot speak or understand English, and they will hang up the phone on you. This literally happened to me 3 times today, and my phone service is still not working.

The worse decision I had ever made, was to purchase a Virgin Mobile Phone through Wal-Mart. I was supposed to receive a free month of service. However, the customer service is friggin horrible, and they refuse to give it to me. I have a deep hatred for these companies that hire foreigners that cannot speak or understand English. When will these organizations learn that yes, they will get cheap labor. However, the amount of times we need to call back means that they are actually spending more money by having to hire that many more people. Virgin Mobile and Wal-Mart, you're a friggin joke! I will never use Virgin Mobile again! I hope everyone of you will feel the same way!

Virgin Mobile's customer service is insensitive and has terrible wait times when you are on hold to speak to a supervisor or anyone with the authority to cancel the account of a family member who has recently deceased. I hope the CEO responds, I tweeted him twice this evening. I have been waiting for over an hour and a half so far. Customers have to listen to terrible music and an annoying automated "cherry" voice which come in every 5 minutes to thank you for waiting and saying "We will be pleased to assist you as soon as we can." It is just adding insult to injury. Virgin Mobile should be ashamed to offer such pathetic "customer service". I hope others who might read this post seriously consider whether this is the type of service you will receive in your dealings with Virgin Mobile.

I had a bad visit to a retail store where the Virgin Mobile merchant did not handle my upgrade in the way I had requested. I called that day to Virgin Mobile and a member of the retention team spoke with me in regards to a special loyalty plan. He told me when I go to pickup my new phone from the retail store that there would be a pop-up on the merchant's computer allowing him to sign me up with a special plan. No such thing happened. When I told the merchant I had spoken to retention about a special plan, he said he doesn't see anything about that and that I should call them back.

When I called back, neither the customer service rep nor the retention team could find a case related to retention. This shows that you cannot trust promises made over a phone call. I will no longer trust anything relayed to me over a phone call from Virgin Mobile. This means that when I actually do cancel my account, I will disregard any offers made by retention. How can I trust what they say unless it's in writing?

I have had their service for 10yrs and they have gotten worse every yr and I can't take it no longer. Can't talk to a American when you call. Don't understand them. Always cutting out. No bars!!! No service. Save yourself the trouble. Don't sign up with them!!! Going to Boost.

I have had service with this company for almost a year now. I pay $40 a month and they slow my data down after a week. I don't even use my phone much. When they slow it down I can not access the internet because it's so slow. I really need to find a new provider quick.

I purchased outright an iphone 5s, brand new from VM. Had been with VM for several years and at least 3 phones in their no contract arrangement... my account was always in good standing. Went to ghana and they have no international roaming and do not even offer an alternative. Iphone was new and rendered useless to me. Virgin mobile refused to unlock the phone so that I could use it in ghana with another provider... and continue to pay VM for their service, but they still refused to unlock. I immediately canceled my service and my account... never again.

I had an account with Virgin Mobile for 13 years. I decided to get a new phone that they did not offer nor do they have SIM cards so I transferred to another carrier. I had just paid my bill for the month, I cancelled the service three days later. VM refused to give me a prorated refund as they said I used some of the service. I had to file a credit card dispute. Over the last six months they've become increasingly rude when I've called about an issue. Perhaps it was time to get a new carrier as VM was no longer competitive in the prepaid mobile market.

Virgin Mobile has bunch of idiots working in their call centre. I spent three hours in the morning and also spoke with the supervisor name Michelle. She offered me 2 LG G4s 100% credit. Then I called Virgin Mobile back and spoke 4 different agents. 2 were able to find the bill credit and 2 were not. Everytime I called someone from Philippines answers the call and sorry to say that, they just don't care about customers. My god I can't believe the mess up.

I don't need my phone when I go into the country, where service is very limited. I use it often in-town. My gps and internet music work great all the time and I pay about $50. I use last years model phone and love the way it works. If it breaks, the replacement is available at the store for about $75. So I pay less than half what my co-workers pay and get the same thing they get.

Just recently found out that my account cancelled and closed 6 years ago has been reported delinquent for all those 6 years for stupid $47 dollars. Never received one letter or a call from them advising that I owed any money. When I request that they waived those $47 as recognition that they had never reached out to me they said that they had done the legally required which was sending me 1 letter (that I never received) and making 2 phone calls to my land line during business hours and not leaving a message.

The damage they caused to my credit score by not reaching out to me with a second letter. Or calling the actual cell phone number I had with them is far bigger than the $47 dollars I asked to be waived. So before you open an account with them just know that they have terrible. TERRIBLE customer services. They won't work with you, they won't communicate with you properly, but they will get every single penny they legally can. Because that is all they are about. The legal way to screw you up.

My son's phone died one month out of warranty, unfortunate, but certainly not my complaint. I went into the Virgin store to buy him a new phone. Instead of being allowed to buy a phone, I had to pay out his contract, upgrade and sign another two year contract. This being ridiculous to me I called the call center. The first man promptly sent me to a supervisor stating he had the power to do nothing. The supervisor, Gerard, came on stating a analogy that I am complaining to the gas station (Virgin) when the problem is with the dealership (Samsung). I stated "no, the problem is not with me purchasing a new phone, it is the requirement of paying out the old contract and renewing." He put me on hold for 20 mins and stated nothing he could do. So he put me through to customer retention (what a joke).

I was on hold for 1 1/2 hours-the girl at the store even phoned in and was stating, "we are going to lose her as a customer, is there not anything you can do". I am still on hold. I had to leave, and asked her to phone me. I continued on hold for 1 hour forty minutes when I got someone from customer retention!!! Imagine my joy when I found out they transferred me through to tech support. I am getting mad. I ask her to transfer me with urgency to customer relations, considering the amount of time I was on hold.

15 minutes later I get Lisa. I state my case, trying to be polite and diplomatic. That did not last when Lisa stated the exact same offer as the Virgin store. Why was I on hold? She stated her job was to uphold the policies of the company and not be customer relations or resolutions. I asked for the number of the governing body where I could complain. Lisa stated that they had no governing body. LOL, YES YOU DO LISA AND VIRGIN. And, I complained to them. She said "here are your two options." I said "there is a third, I do not pay anymore and break my contract and you can go to hell." So that is what I am doing. I will find another carrier and default unless the CRTC can help me. FIND ANOTHER CARRIER!!!

My wife and I have been using a Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go plan for 10 years. We each have a phone so we're being billed twice as much if we call each other, compared to companies with family plans. Anyway, I am writing mainly because they just changed their PIN policy; now the PIN cannot exceed 6 characters. I had to call them to get this information but was told it would cost me $3.00 to speak with someone, so I hung up and went to their website. Still could not log in. Finally I was able to give them a new PIN -- they actually emailed me but they wanted to this through email, which I didn't trust, so I asked them to call me. This didn't happen so reluctantly I sent a new PIN via email (I sent it in an attachment).

Tried to log in today, with the new PIN, and a message informed me that I was "locked out" and couldn't log in! This makes no sense! So I emailed them about this... we'll see what they have to say if anything. And I agree with the people who have mentioned how difficult it is to understand the customer service reps... jobs have been outsourced to India, Philippines, etc. I would not recommend Virgin Mobile to anyone!

We had a phone with Virgin for a long time now, I believe we have been with them for close to 10 years. Recently I purchased a iPhone that came with a $50 account promotional credit, so that was good until the credit didn't show up in my account. When I bought the phone it came with a note saying that the credit would be issued 2 weeks after the payment of the 2nd month with the phone, that didn't happen so I contact them.

First of all they do not understand a lick of English. I started getting messages back. First they "Escalated" my issue and I would receive a answer 47-72 hours later. I didn't get anything, so I contacted them again, this time being told it would be 4 weeks after the 2nd payment, so that was promise number 1 broken. The date came around still no credit. I contact them again. This time I receive a message that the credit would be issued on a specific date, okay fine... The date rolls around, NO CREDIT.

I am now once again waiting 48-72 hours for their so called escalated issue. Actually the 72 hours ran out yesterday so I am about to jump their arse once again, but I have no hope, we are a week past the date they promised me last time. I no longer trust Virgin Mobile, and we are shopping for a new company to host our phones. Too bad I wasted $200 on a iPhone that I soon won't be able to use anymore. The thing is that Virgin is no longer the only game in town, not like it was back when we first signed up, plenty of choices.

I purchased the LG Stylo 2 and used the phone for about two weeks without any problems. As soon as I updated the phone with some stupid compatibility garbage, I started receiving SCAM calls. I called Virgin Mobile to complain and the customer service rep asked me if I received a lot of spam text messages. I said NO and lo and behold as soon as I got off the phone with her I started receiving spam text messages. She went on to tell me the only way to stop the SCAM calls was to change my phone number. I told her that made me very upset because changing my number would help since they were the ones providing the scammers with my number in the first place. I asked if restoring the phone to the factory settings would help my problem and she replied NO.

I would also like to add the phone coverage is less than stellar. Dropped calls and numerous callers stating they tried calling me however I didn't have a missed call in my call log nor did I have a voicemail from the numerous callers. Some said they received a rapid busy signal, others said they left a message. VERY DISAPPOINTED in overall service and now the ever so pleasant SCAM callers. Paying for a phone, affordable true, paid for by me also true not a gift, therefore I find it very disturbing that I am actually paying to be harassed.

I have been with Virgin Mobile for 20 years. Was good up until the last 2 years. Why give your customers to call centres who cannot speak English or understand the basics? After being on the phone nearly an hour and I was now ordering my third phone from them, got declined. "Why?" I said. "Because your address does not exist on our system..." ahhh. Then whom have I been paying by direct debit for the past 20years? Now I'm livid... "A manager will call you in the next few days..." Guess what? They did not call.

So a week later I called back... "oh our staff member put in your details the wrong way round." WHAT... I said I had constantly repeated everything at least twice because they could not understand me... then was told they now deal with Equifax whom said my address is not on their system... WHAT A LOT OF BUNKUM...

I live in a block of flats right in the middle. IDIOTS... I then was told to call Equifax and explain. I did this only to be told... "you can know your credit rating by joining us for £20 per month." What... I do not need my rating checked. It's good... but you have not my address on your system. I give up... they sure go hand in hand with each other. I cancelled my contract and would advise people... DO NOT ENTERTAIN VIRGIN MOBILE. COMPLETE RUBBISH. CUSTOMER SERVICES IS A COMPLETE JOKE...

OMG. Anyone ever try explaining an issue to customer service at Virgin Mobile Canada? Almost every time I've called I've had to request to speak with a manager. The agent that answers in most cases have no clue what to do about my situation. They cut you off while talking. They bring up issues they think you're talking about which has nothing to do with why I'm actually calling about... Today I called to express my concern about my data usage. I upgraded my plan which gave me 1g of data. Within 6 days I received a message telling me I've used my data. For the 3 years of having my other package I had 250mb which would last me almost a whole month. So I ask the lady how could I use 1g in 6 days but for 3 years only use around 250mb a month...

I DON'T USE VIDEO CALLING OR WATCH VIDEOS OR DOWNLOAD stuff I told her... "Oh sir why did you wait to ask this question... You must be watching Youtube Videos or Video calling." "OMG. Hello, I just told you I don't." "Well sir you used all your data, how did you expect me to help you today?" "I'd like to know how I used my 1g of data in 6 days... I DON'T do anything but email, web search and Google maps." Anyways after 48 minutes she finally said "I will send this to our support team..."

Same thing happened to me as another person here... I had also placed an order on the website and it said there was an error processing it. I also found out that they charged my credit card. When I called them, I got the same response: "I guarantee that there was no order processed"- just because I was not sent an email with an order number (even though they had taken my $700). I was transferred eventually to the supervisor who told me the same thing. The supervisor refused to give me her name and hung up on me. The bank eventually charged me $35 to cancel the order- so I spent $35 on horrible customer service and still do not have a phone.

My experience with Virgin was a manifold nightmare from the lower intestine of hell itself! Please allow me to chronicle the ordeal here for posterity with the hopes that some poor traveler might avoid the same awful fate. First of all the service itself was practically unusable. They claim that our town is in their area of coverage, but the vast majority of our town falls outside of the realm of Virgin territory (Ahem). So this was a problem from the start.

But the real drama started when we attempted to disconnect our service with them. Let me first warn you that if you call the customer service line, you will be virtually incapable of finding a single option to speak with a real human for any reason whatsoever. And as for an option to disconnect your service? It doesn't exist. There is no option to do so. I know. I tried every single one of them. Every option. Frequently asked questions? No. Change your plan? Nope! Just call them up for grins and see if you can either find an option to speak to an Operator or an option to disconnect your service. I dare ya!

So after exhausting literally every option, I figured out how to get a real person. If you are stuck in a similar situation you can do this too. Pretend you are setting up a new phone with them. You have to go through the whole automated process of entering some personal data like birthday, and your zip code. Then it asks you to enter a code for this so called new phone you're lying about having. Do nothing when it prompts you to do this. Just let it act like it is finding your phone with this code you're not entering. After about 3 times of attempting to get the code, it will FINALLY say that it is having a problem and will transfer you to an operator. Well I did this... I got a real person and told them I wanted to cancel my service. I gave them everything. The phone number and the pin. Guess what happened... They hung up on me. This was after a 20 minute wait period.

So I call back and go through the whole process again. When I finally get the person I am beyond ugly. I've already read about how Virgin tries to screw people and often makes it extremely difficult to cancel, and I'm just not having it! So they finally claim they cancel the service, but it still doesn't show up on my phone as if they did cancel it. I had to call back a third time!!! I spent about an hour and half of my evening just trying to cancel my service.

You don't need the headache, the blood pressure spike or the veins that will most certainly be popping out of the side of your neck after you've tried to deal with this company. This is one of the few companies I've come across that I feel should actually be sued or prosecuted in some way for attempting to entrap customers and force them to stay with them.

It is OBVIOUS that they're doing this, and someone should really investigate the legality of it. It is certainly unethical at the very least, and I can't imagine that an elderly person would EVER figure out what to do if they were in a similar scenario. Like if I hadn't figured out this trick around the system I would have never been able to cancel my service. Perhaps if I used the online system I would have? But I have my doubts and I was in a situation that I needed the service disconnected tonight! Not in a few days when they might decide to get around to it! Virgin does NOT live up their name. They will screw you six ways to Sunday!

I was with Virgin for over 3 year. I bought a new phone online (not from Virgin) and activated it and everything was fine for the next 3 months. I had to switch carriers as Virgin does not have any family plans. They locked my phone and refuse to unlock a 300$ Samsung because "this phone was not with them for a full year" and when I asked to speak to a supervisor she hung up on me! So now I am stuck with a brand new cell phone I cannot use anyplace else. I have never, ever encountered such rudeness and crap customer service anyplace! Use someone else - they are just trash.

I placed an order on the website yesterday and the order didn't go through... The website said there is some error in processing the order so I just thought it didn't work. And then today I found that my credit card was charged... So I called Virgin Mobile to find out if the order was processed... Since I didn't have order number it was trickier to find the order. They asked me bunch of information like address, name, post code, etc... and then kept asking me to wait. After a while, the guy said "I guarantee you there was no order processed..." or something... so I said "then how are you going to explain the charge on my credit card?" And to make the story short, he said "call someone else..." OMG. I can't believe this horrible horrible horrible customer service experience. I will leave Virgin Mobile... I had no problem for last 2 years... and I don't see why I should stay... Shame on you!!!

So I won't lie, I made a mistake. When I was activating my phone, I included a free one-time add-on called "SMS in/out block" which ended up blocking any messages I sent or received. I spent about 30 minutes on Google and turns out quite a few people experienced the same problem. They said that they called Virgin Mobile Customer Service and had the add-on removed within a few hours. I'm not usually one to call Customer Service for anything, ever, but I didn't see much of a choice as there was no way to remove the add-on. Literally scavenged the website and my phone for hours and couldn't find anything. So I called up Virgin Mobile (and wasted another 5 minutes trying to figure out which combination brought me to Customer Service) and was greeted by a Customer Service representative. I'm hoping this will be an easy fix and I can finally text.

This is where I made the mistake of thinking VM had decent customer service, and didn't check reviews first. I tell him I just want to remove a one-time add-on called "SMS in/out block" which I added by mistake. He tells me that he'll call an "account specialist" and to wait 3-4 minutes. Music plays. He comes back and says word for word, "Hello Joseph, thank you for waiting so patiently in the line." Take note, this becomes a recurring theme throughout this dreadful call.

He asks me to open the Virgin Mobile website. This is where things start becoming suspicious. I don't pay much mind though as I just want to remove this stupid add-on and maybe this guy knows his stuff. This guy begins trying to tell me to click things on the website that don't exist. He tells me to click on something. I tell him it's not there. He then pauses for like 30 seconds. I don't know where these offices are located but I hear what seems to be a woman laughing. He tells me to please wait again so he can talk to an "account specialist." Music plays for maybe 8 minutes. I'm greeted again with "Hello Joseph, thank you for waiting so patiently in line." What ** line is he even talking about? We're on the phone.

Anyway, he again tries to walk me through the "steps" to remove this add-on. He is confusing me at this point. I try to stay patient. Keep in mind this call lasted an HOUR. I'm having difficulty understanding him. Maybe it was his accent or perhaps he was doing it purposely because he just doesn't know but doesn't want me to hang up and then write a review on how Virgin Mobile Customer Service reps don't know ANYTHING.

He then proceeds to tell me that since I was the one who put the add-on on the phone, then I should be able to remove it from the phone. Now that doesn't make much ** sense, because testimonies on the internet say otherwise and that it was removed within a few hours after calling VM Customer Service. Sure, you can say it's the ** internet but do they really have a reason to lie about this **? And then guess what happens next...wait for it, "Let me contact an account specialist." Music plays for like 10 min. Holy **. Instead of wasting my ** time, can you just tell me that you sincerely don't know!? This guy was also super unprofessional in every aspect, ** stuttering and saying "uhhhh" everywhere. Anyway, the call concluded with him saying that he contacted the "worldwide specialist experts" or some elitist-sounding ** like that. I'm told that these supposed "experts" will look at the issue and resolve it within 24 hours.

It's been well over 24 hours. Still can't send or receive texts. That's not even why I'm mad. It was an honest mistake by me. I'm mad because I was LIED to and had an entire ** HOUR of my life wasted. I don't feel like mentioning this guy's name. It probably won't get him fired. Judging by the reviews, this ** guy is the perfect candidate for the job. This is what happens when you get 7/11 cashiers to work for Customer Service at a phone company. GOOD JOB VM!!!

Absolutely the worst customer service I have ever had when dealing with a mobile phone company, and I have dealt with them all. I'm 40 years old and got my first cell phone at 18 so my experience is pretty vast. And this is the first time I have been disgusted enough to write a review. My fiance is in jail and I asked the company first to suspend then cut off his services which they never did. I just found out I've been paying for two lines for eleven months then they wanted to charge me for overage on my data. This is when I snapped!! How about the extra gig per month I have been paying for, for eleven months on a phone that hasn't been touched! We don't merge the data plans. I was on a couple's plan you insensitive jerks.

I feel so cheated. It has been hard enough to take care of the bills, dog, kids on my own, but to be cheated out of over $700 by my cell phone carrier and not even given a break on data overage after it all just sent me in to a rage. And so I decided I wanted a supervisor to which they said no then transferred me to the disconnect dept who just disconnected me while using my cell to talk to them without even making any attempt at all to fix anything. I was in blinding tears at the end of it all crying and sick to my stomach. Thanks Virgin Mobile for the most horrible treatment and customer service I have ever received anywhere by anyone for anything in my whole life.

I have paid $35 phone service every month on the dot for several months. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, Virgin Mobile has the audacity to cancel my service! FOR NO REASON AT ALL! At this point I'm a little annoyed because I call and text on a daily basis and without service I can't do that. I've called customer service and a representative finally picks up. He tells me to "check the coverage". You bloody bastard, if I'm calling you don't you think I'd have already checked that?! He then resets my service and makes up a ** excuse to end the call because at that point I'm basically yelling at him.

An hour and a half into the call he tells me that "I'll reconnect your service to the network towers". He then tells me to wait 2-3 days. I HAVE WAITED ALMOST A WHOLE WEEK FOR THE DAY MY SERVICE WORKS AGAIN. Customer service was terrible. Their excuses are **. Virgin Mobile, hire new employees because right now I'm furious and disgusted. Utterly ashamed at what this company has become.

Shame on you Virgin mobile. I have been a customer for many years. This month I bought a phone from them and two days into owning it the pixels started to go out. Began with a dot then a line now two lines. They have a warranty but want me to pay 25 dollars to send a refurbished phone??? I'm within my 30 day return and should not have to pay for your broken product. Also you want to replace a new 200 phone with a used refurb phone. I will be going with a different provider after this. I also had horrible service with my iPhone and turning off Internet that is supposed to be unlimited. Along with issues of making payments and still having no service to the point they could not figure it out and had to give up and disconnect a 500 dollar phone. I can not transfer this phone to another so it sucks even more.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Virgin Mobile USA is a subsidiary of Sprint and offers prepaid plans for smartphones and basic phones. The company operates in countries outside the United States under different ownership. It has been in business since 2002, and the U.S. headquarters are in Kansas City, Mo. They primarily offer unlimited plans, but custom pay-as-you-go plans may be available from select retail locations.

• Music streaming: Virgin Mobile customers with unlimited plans can stream music from one of the company’s partner apps, including Spotify, Pandora and others, without it counting against their high speed data usage.
  • Data Packs: Customers who occasionally need extra data but don’t need a high-data plan every month can purchase Data Packs from their online Virgin Mobile account. Extra data is available for as little as $5 and is available for one month.
  • Lost phone protection: If customers lose their phone, they can contact Virgin Mobile to have their service immediately suspended. Once they have a new phone, they can have the remaining service time and data transferred to their new phone.
  • Additional features: Interested customers can add several features to their phone for an additional fee, including mobile hotspot connectivity, visual voicemail and text-to-landline service. They can also add CallWatch, which alerts customers to calls likely coming from telemarketers, bill collectors or scammers.
  • International plans: Customers who regularly make calls to other countries can add international service to their plan for an additional monthly fee. Multiple international options are available to meet different customers’ needs.
  • Best for Virgin Mobile is best for parents and budget-conscious customers.

Compare Prepaid Phones