Virgin Mobile
1.29/5

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Virgin Mobile Reviews

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1164 Virgin Mobile Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I recently had to move to another carrier because the Virgin Mobile phone I originally purchased never worked properly. I kept the phone and was willing to work with the CSRs I spoke with on several occasions until I accepted that I had the bad luck of getting a faulty product. Exchanging the phone was not an option because it was out of stock at the time and still is. The phone was a faulty product from the beginning, consistently freezing and the voicemail icon never went away. The phone reboots obviously did not resolve either issue. All of the issues were reported and documented with Virgin Mobile.

A quality company would have reminded me that I had the option to return the phone within 7 days of purchase and would have offered to replace the phone, but of course neither option was communicated to me and my focus was simply to get the phone working, so I foolishly went along with the reboots and the promise that someone would call me. Why someone would call me, I do not know, but I went along with it as they wanted me to believe they were trying to help me although they were clearly just blowing me off.

I received the phone around the middle of November and at the beginning of January decided to request a replacement phone. Virgin Mobile insisted I would have to pay for the replacement phone and made a big deal about waiving the $25.00 shipping fee, as if they were doing me a favor. After a couple of weeks of the phone being out of stock, I decided to go to another carrier. The right thing to do would have been for Virgin Mobile to at least reimburse me the cost of the phone, but they refused, citing their return policy which is great for someone just changing their mind, but doesn't account for faulty equipment and the time one takes to try to get the phone working properly before returning or exchanging. Horrible customer service. It's frustrating to be treated like this and it's sad to know that so many other people are being cheated out of their hard earned money.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

On Nov 27 I got a call from my sister telling me that my 81 year old mother, who was in Mazatlan Mexico, had a medical emergency and I would have to fly there ASAP. I immediately contacted my cell phone provider Virgin Mobile to arrange for a travel data plan and I explained to them that my mother had no internet service so I would need a plan that includes phone calls, texting and internet. They said the travel plan is $80 and would go into effect at midnight. I was flying out at 11:30 so that worked.

I arrived in Mazatlan and was able to get Google maps to my mother’s house, but once there I was unable to make any phone calls and no longer had any service. I was only able to text my sister in Canada and she got people to phone me and she looked up whatever I needed on the internet from Canada. I contacted Virgin and they said they would fix it and call me back but never did. By the evening of my first day I realized I had to go stay in a hotel in order to get internet service, which cost $300. I contacted Virgin again and again they said they would fix it but didn't...each call was fraught with disconnection and having to repeat my story to multiple people with no resolution.

On the second day (and keep in mind I am dealing with a medical situation at the same time) I still had no service and was unable to make outgoing phone calls except sporadically to my sister. The phone would simply drop the call if I tried to call my husband or brother. I contacted Virgin again 3rd time, I spoke with someone named Catherine who stayed on the line with me after I explained the history of disconnections and no callbacks. She and her team went back and listened to the recordings of my previous calls and determined that the package I had been sold for $80 was in the wrong zone. They had sold me zone 1 which is incorrect and won’t work. She assured me that she would hook me up with the correct package for $100 but in the correct zone and that they would refund me the $275 I had accrued in roaming charges.

Unfortunately my phone still did not work. I called several more times but never was able to resolve the situation between disconnections and finally the last rep claimed that she could not help me because the postal code I had given her in the security check process did not match what they have on file. I explained that this is the first I've heard of this and it's my 6th call! No luck and no help. When I got home I called the customer service dept to find out the status of my bill and they said they cannot help me until my billing period matured so I had to wait a couple of weeks. When the bill arrived it was for $625 for 3 days in Mexico.

I called and disputed the bill. They pointed out that they had already given me a $275 refund while I was in Mexico and they very grudgingly offered to remove the roaming charges. They said I was responsible for the two data travel packages for $80 and $100 respectively in addition to my regular plan fees of $80 for a total $260. I explained that I don't believe I should be billed for two plans, neither of which worked and that is proven by the roaming charges. They said that I did get the benefit of my phone use while there so I have to pay something but I contend that I did NOT get the benefit of use as proven by the multiple calls asking for help because my phone didn't work. Also I had to pay out of pocket $300 for a hotel in order to have internet access while pursuing medical options for my mother.

I'm very upset about the cavalier attitude of 'those are valid charges and you have to pay them' and the injustice of suffering terrible customer service in a medical emergency situation overseas. I am willing to go to court over this bill because I think it too outrageous to charge someone for plans (why should I pay for the one in the wrong zone?!) which didn't work.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I've been a Virgin Mobile customer for several years. I decided in December 2018 to upgrade my phone to the new Pixel 3. I ordered online and was told that the phone would be delivered in 3-5 business days. 3-5 business days pass and I follow-up with them, I'm told the phone was delayed due to Christmas closures. Fair enough. I wait some more. I follow-up a week later and I'm told that the phone was delayed due to changing postal service providers, that it would arrive at my house in one week's time and if it did not that I would be reimbursed the cost of the phone. I wait the week, phone didn't arrive. I call a third time and I'm finally told that the phone is back ordered. Virgin lied to me during previous phone calls about the status of the phone, and then promised me a reimbursement which they then backed out of.

Beware that the customer service reps will give false promises just to get you off the line. Get a name and verification number for any promise you are given. When I told them I wanted to cancel the order I was informed that this was impossible, that I would have to wait for the backordered phone to arrive at my house before I could cancel it. I told them that I wanted to cancel my service with them, and was informed that I was unable to do so until the phone I ordered was canceled. Meanwhile they charged me the cost of the phone and they're sitting with that money in their accounts while not delivering on their promises. Don't do business with Virgin Mobile. I cannot wait till I receive that stupid back ordered phone so that I can send it back to them and cancel my service.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I paid my bill up for Dec and bill date was Dec 19. It was paid up on Dec 14. I quit the Virgin on the 21 and they are charging me A full month bill. Not fair at all. Stay away from this company. They rip people off.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I finally quit Virgin Mobile after 4 years. I'd like everyone to know you need to stay away from them. They are not a good service. Twice they have ripped me off. They claim their 1st priority is customer satisfaction. That is bullcrap. I purchased 2 phones from. Now twice they stuck me with them. I'm very disgusted in them right now because I spent $200 on an iPhone. I decided I wanted to return the iPhone and stay with my Galaxy. Yes I understood there is a 7 day return policy. It took 3 days to get the phone. On the 3rd day that I received it I view the instructions for return. It claimed I had to go online so out of form they would contact me back within 24 hours for the return slip. I waited. Nobody got back to me. The 5th day I filled the form out again. Nobody got back to me.

The 6 day I contacted them again. Nobody got back to me. The 7th day I called a Virgin Mobile customer service rep. She told me it was too late to return my phone. I explained to or it was not my fault. I cannot return a phone without the return proper identifications from you people. She told me it was already the 7th day. Again she sorry she cannot help me nor can I return the phone. I said all I wanna do is get credit then to buy another phone. They told me I could not. She advised me to sell the phone. I tried to sell the phone realizing I had to have it unlocked. I call them again and asked them to unlock the phone so I can sell it. I had over 50 people wanting to buy this phone then they tell me they could not unlock the phone and till the phone was in service for it least 12 months.

I explain to them I do not want the phone turned on. I'm trying to sell a new phone not a use phone. I wanted to get my $200 back not settle for 60 $70 after it's been used for 12 months. Again they gave me some bullcrap that they could not unlock it. I am done with them. This is the 2nd phone I'm stuck with. I have no idea how to use an iPhone. There's nobody else in my family to let them use it so it will just sit in the box like the other one I've had for 3 years. I'm letting customers know there is no satisfaction with Virgin. I have never had satisfaction with them and I'm letting everybody else know that they will not give you any satisfaction like the saying is you go cheap you get cheap.

I wish I had my $200 back. Their phones are just as cheap. In 4 years I've gone through 4 phones well to besides the two that sat their phones are only good for one year. They will start to screw up or you feel like you have a virus. They will no longer work. I've always gone with Boost or somebody like Virgin for the pricing. But now I'm with Sprint. A better company. Better phones. Better service. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Virgin Mobile?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I've been a Virgin Mobile customer since 2009. I've never had good luck with their customer service, but figured customer service for these kinds of things is never good anyway. And, the service is so cheap. BUT -- this past week has me wholeheartedly considering taking my business elsewhere, even if it means paying twice as much.

I tried to purchase an iPhone on virginmobileusa.com COUNTLESS times on FOUR DIFFERENT DAYS and the system would not process my order. I called customer service and they said it was a problem with my bank. I called my bank and they said there was no issue with my card or my bank account, and that I should go ahead and try again. So, I called Virgin Mobile customer service again and told them this. They STILL could not process my order. I got fed up and went to the Apple Store, which is a journey from my house and quite a pain to make, and purchased a new phone there. I was not happy about this at all as the phone I wanted to purchase from Virgin Mobile was a "pre-loved" iPhone 7 with 256GB for $330, and the same phone, brand new, at the Apple Store was $830. That is a five hundred dollar difference because the Virgin Mobile website would not process my order. Sooooooooooo unhappy.

And it gets better. I purchased a brand new, very very very expensive phone from the Apple Store, and proceed to try to switch out the SIM card from my old iPhone. It doesn't work, so I call Virgin Mobile. After being on hold for 80 minutes, I finally speak to someone. I explain the whole issue after giving all my account information, only to be transferred to a different department. And have to give all of my information again, AS WELL as the story. Whatever. They tell me that my current SIM card is not compatible with the new phone, and that I need to purchase one from Virgin Mobile. They tell me to do this online.

Sooooo, I try to purchase one online and AGAIN the system won't process my order. So I call Virgin Mobile AGAIN and am put on hold AGAIN for 45 minutes, only to be transferred AGAIN blah blah blah, and finally whoever I talked to said she would push my SIM card order through on her end. I explicitly asked if there was anything I needed to do at this point, and she said NO. She said to wait for the SIM card to come in the mail and then give Virgin Mobile another call to have them help me set up the new phone. She said I would receive the card in 2-3 business days.

Eight days go by. No SIM card comes in the mail. I give Virgin Mobile another call. Am on hold for 40 minutes. Talk to a customer service rep, who transfers me to the tech department, who puts me on hold to "figure it out," then tells me the order was never placed. I ask if I can place it today since I'd really like to use the new phone I bought A WEEK AGO, and she puts me on hold to "Talk to her supervisor." Once she comes back on the line, she finally tells me THAT I CANNOT use a Virgin Mobile SIM card with my phone because it was purchased at the Apple store and not from Virgin Mobile. Why did it take so long, and so many people, and so many hours of my life for them to tell me this? How can they be this incompetent? Thank God I have an unlocked phone now, so I can use it with any company other than Virgin Mobile. Ugh!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Mainly use landline. Keep Virgin mobile flip phone for "just in case". Left five year old flip phone in hotel in SF. Not worth returning to find it, have a backup flip phone, unused, unactivated, at home. Long story short, Abby, with Virgin Mobile, worked with me to keep obsolete flip phone. She even called me back when she found a comparable plan to the one I used to use that was no longer available. Thanks Abby.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I have been a V. Mobile customer for over 20 years. I use the "pay as you go" program (.40c a minute). I turned off my service and was told I'd receive a full refund of unused money (app. $74). They even gave me a "confirmation number". All I got refunded was app. $22 back, and am now told only the last 90 days can be refunded. I was lied to by their agent, and now they are offering me a new phone that I cannot use instead of a refund. AND they will NOT unlock the phone so I can use it with my new Carrier...so it is useless to me. Their customer service is terrible, and their policies are well hidden and deceptive. If I was a lawyer, I'd be filing a class action suit for breach of contract. I hope someone does!! Stay away from Virgin Mobile...that's my advice.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I have been mostly pleased with service from Virgin Mobile Canada. I have a well priced plan and customer service is friendly. My only complaint is that when I leave the country and am roaming, I often have extra unwarranted charges on my bill. For example, on my last trip to the US I was charged twice for 6 of my texts (a total of $4.50 + tax); on a trip to Europe, they called me to advertise their products and then charged me for the call, even though they said I wouldn’t be charged. So you need to check every bill to make sure you are not overcharged when roaming. This, in my opinion, is unacceptable and should be fixed by the company.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Hard to know where to begin... Call centre is in the Philippines. Each time I call they lie. Upgraded the service plan and now don't receive texts. But of course they won't reduce the plan nor take money off except for a small one time deal. Then they tell you to call another department that has absolutely nothing to do with it. No end of lies and constant frustration!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

This is for anyone who is considering Virgin as a cell phone carrier. This is by far the WORST company I have ever even dealt with. I am in sales, and I know important and how detrimental these reviews can be. I have never written a bad review, but now I can't find enough review platforms to warn people. There are SO many moving parts that made my experience TRULY the worst I have ever had.

I would recommend paying DOUBLE at literally ANY other cell phone company. They were great at first, but as soon as they get you in a contract- your customer service and anything related to that will extremely decline. Not one person in that company knows what another said- even with "notes on the file". You will repeat yourself 1000 times and still be in the same boat with nothing done. They will offer you lucrative plans to make up for terrible experiences and customer service, but will then retract them. This is literally the worst company I have ever dealt with. I can't wait to pay my next cell phone company DOUBLE. Consider this a heads up and warning. I strongly suggest anywhere else but this company. Anywhere. You will get better reliability with a cup and string in the woods.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Well let’s see... Where do I start?? I just had a way better experience at Telus! I ported my cell phone over to Telus after the following negative experience with Virgin... Know that you can do that. It was very easy to do and Telus gave me an excellent deal and seamlessly made it happen immediately. Here’s the reason... Virgin mobile internet stopped working properly about 2 months after I had it installed....so they WRAPPED a “temporary” wire AROUND MY HOUSE which flapped in the wind. Service was SO intermittent!! They left the ‘temporary’ wire there for 8 months!! I kept trying to explain that I have a heart condition and need wifi for an alarm system I had installed. Virgin didn’t care.

I had to explain myself over and over and was passed from person to person about 50 times throughout this ordeal. My neighbour, whose house the cord was also wrapped around tripped over it and fell. I called CCTS but they are not a punitive body. I literally had to drive to our local Bell office and ask a worker in the parking lot to come and check it out...which he did. He then called his manager and lo and behold Aecon..., the company Virgin hired to install a real wire and bury it finally showed up after cancelling time and time again. It took him one hour.

I moved in in December and they didn’t bother to bury it until...get this...October 30th the following fall!! That’s Virgin’s idea of great customer service!! It was neglectful and blatant abuse of their own customer. My advice?? Steer clear of this company as they simply don’t care. They offered me a little over a hundred dollars and a 20% discount and I told them no thanks because I paid way more for their horribly poor service and my son's data charges also went through the roof. His phone was with TELUS. TELUS was more than happy to fix that on their end even though it was Virgin’s issue.

Virgin clearly didn’t understand my loss of time, the level of stress they put us through needlessly and our horribly intermittent service. All this while my son was bedridden and just wanted to be able to watch TV and play Fortnite. One of Virgin’s employees at one point said to me..."Well, if you don’t like it, you can take your business somewhere else"...so I just took her advice and switched to Telus.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

For going on two months now, Virgin Mobile has been telling me that they've shipped me a replacement phone for one id purchased that would not respond to their Network. They also told me they'd hold my payment on my account and apply it once I called to activate said device. Each time I've called the next person has told me nothing said prior had actually taken place. Each rep claimed to be going to escalate the issue. Each claimed issue was resolved. I spoke to a Grace, a Gavin. Got an order number. Etc etc. Twice I was hung up on. When I simply asked for my money back they fought some more. Then agreed. I waited. Called back and got the same song and dance. Hung up on...AGAIN! STILL NO REFUND.

They all lie and feign ignorance. It's sickening. I support four children and a wife. I don't care if it's $10 or $10,000!!! They've robbed me and will not fix it. I'm currently seeking an attorney. I foresee a class action suit as I'm certain they've done this to others. My wife uses Virgin Mobile also. She rarely receives texts from others because the network is messed up and they refused to fix the problem for her either. There are days each month with no service. They do not credit her for it. They blatantly take money and fail to provide the service. End of story. Do Not use or trust Virgin Mobile and if you know a good attorney send them my way!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Old phone died and bought a new phone to replace it. Then they told me my new phone didn't work with my plan. I would have to upgrade. Tried to return the phone, but it had been too long. Tried to get it unlocked so I could use another carrier, but they won't because it hasn't been in service for at least a year.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I buy a iPhone 7 on the 11/24/2018. The phone arrive to my house on the 11/28/2017. The same day I activate the phone and find out the phone was not working. The same day on the 28th I call Virgin Mobile and they say there was a problem with the antenna in the area where I live. They want me to wait 2 day for the update with the antenna. After 2 day the still don't work. I call back and they say they going to send me a packet to send the phone back in 2 day. Today is 12/5/2018 and I still don't receive the packet. I call Virgin Mobile today and now they say I can't return the phone because the warranty was expire today. A lot of year with this company, a lot of phone buy from this company and this is the way they pay me back. I am really upset.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My experience was similar to others on this site where I bought a SIM card which they couldn’t activate because the ‘device’ was incompatible- device being an iPhone. After 4 phone calls with at least 40 minutes wait each I was told that the new iPhone I bought from Apple wouldn’t work and I should return it and buy one from Virgin. Since they couldn’t activate my SIM I asked for my money back and the supervisor put me back on the waiting for a new customer service rep. I write this while waiting for 37 minutes and ready to give up my money. Clueless customer service people and even worse supervisors. Stay away! I have a newfound appreciation for AT&T now.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I wanted to change carriers and use my current phone with the new carrier. I asked VM to unlock the phone (an hour long phone call). They agreed and then a week later the phone got an SMS notification that it was unlocked. I go to the storefront of the new carrier and when a SIM is inserted it says invalid. Sure enough, it says locked to only Sprint SIM cards in the settings app. I call again and am told, "If you got a confirmation it is unlocked," and there is nothing they can do. I tell them it is not unlocked and the drone on the phone keeps repeating the same nonsense and I am apparently hallucinating and it really doesn't say "Locked to Sprint SIM cards". I ask to talk to a supervisor at which point I am put on hold for a half hour before being hung up on. The phone was never unlocked and I had to buy a new phone from the new carrier at $720. They also kept my remaining balance. Worst company ever.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Mobile phone was disconnected. Son contacted Virgin following day "Day 2" of disconnection but they wouldn't explain or discuss with him even though on account as authority. I called Day 4, was told accounts not open on weekends. I called Day 5, had no explanation for the disconnection. Was contacted Day 6 and told account can't be reinstated, must move to Optus but will contact again with details. I called Day 6, was told waiting on approval to re-instate account. No mention of moving to Optus. I called Day 7, still waiting on approval. I called Day 8, still waiting on approval, will be contacted by Day 11.

Received text message on Day 11 that I will be contacted in 3 days. ANOTHER 3 DAYS TIME! Called at end of the day and told still have to wait another 3 days. Stuck in a contract with these invalids so can't move service or reconnect service with another provider as they won't let me take my number. No contact number for person who is meant to approve (undo their mistake), do they even exist? No one can contact them, not even their colleagues. Just want phone reconnected.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Virgin Mobile has the most pathetic Customer Sales and then Billing is even more pathetic, as they are NOT sure on what the sales team has sold to the new Customer. I was given a Long distance (LD) plan for International calling and it was NEVER mentioned that US does not come in an International location list. Now, all my other International calls are covered under the 1000min, but the calls from US are getting charged. When talked to the LIVE CHAT they agreed and ensured to correct/revert the charges and I was told to call the Customer care number to get it corrected, the On-Call rep does not agree to this. This so pathetic and a complete exploitation of innocent customers who do not voice out. I plan to move away from Virgin and get a new Service Provider soon. But before that I will get these charges reverted.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I bought an iPhone from them. It got delivered with a crack screen. I sent it back. They took 3 weeks to refund my money. I was also promised money back for my plan card. That didn’t happen. Worse company.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

In August 2018 I finally got frustrated with a service that was not working for me and decided to switch to another carrier. I phoned Virgin Mobile to find out how much I owed on my contract. I was told $90. I paid the fees and canceled. Then a few days ago I received a letter in the mail telling me I owe Virgin Mobile $140. and if I don't pay immediately the account will be forwarded to credit bureau and my credit will be ruined. I phoned customer service and needless to say it was an awful experience. I feel like Virgin Mobile is punishing me for switching carrier. I feel abused. I would never encourage anyone to take a line with Virgin Mobile, they are horrible.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

The customer service is actually the worst I have ever had! I have been hung up on, and basically told the price I was given and promotions I was promised would not be honored. I would never recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

When I acquired internet services with Virgin Mobile they offered me a trial period AND a 50% off for 12 months, when I asked for the 50% they said they couldn't give it to me because I had the trial period. I explained the situation, they said they will listen to the calls and if it was true they will credit my account. They never credited my account, but they promise to give me the 50% off (I even have a written message with the promise), but they didn't give me the 50% off. When I call again (for the 5th time regarding this issue) they told me that even though it was offered and it was promise they will never give the 50% off or credit my account. The professionalism and lack of respect to their own promises is outrageous. Don't ever trust this company!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I canceled my service with Virgin nearly 2 months. I have some balance amount overpaid just waiting for refund but many times I call Virgin customer service team, they keep promising but never action on that. I don't know when I can receive my money back. Can I sue Virgin Mobile?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Virgin mobile literally steals from their customers and on top of that has overpriced services that aren’t even reliable. I had their 50$ top-up plan, they cut me off 5 days early with zero explanation, which forced me to top up my account 2 days early. 5 days later they cut my services because “I paid my bill too early.” And according to them if you pay your bill too early it doesn’t go to your bill, you now just put money for “pay per use “ because you didn’t pay on your exact top-up date, which to me, makes no sense.

If I pay for specific services, I should be receiving those services I agreed to and paid money for, Virgin Mobile doesn’t see it this way. They then said I need to pay ANOTHER 50$ to have my services back on, even though I already paid for my services, they’re the ones who screwed up. Not to mention awful service on their support chats, I’d go long periods of time without ever getting any response until I spammed them, absolutely no help from them. I would rather spend MORE money to set up another phone with a different company than ever give Virgin Mobile another cent of my money.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Was with Virgin on a rolling tariff for a few years, paying monthly direct debit. No problem until someone rang to ask if I wanted to change to another cheaper tariff on a 24 month contract. Three times I refused, fourth time he rang I relented and agreed. Immediately I rang Virgin to say I'd changed my mind but they said new mobile phone had already been posted. (14 day cooling off period should apply here). Phone arrived next day. I refused to sign for it and it went back to Virgin. Looked at my account to find I was still on new contract after they received the phone back. Rang numerous times, each time they told me I would be put back onto original tariff. This has gone on for almost 2 months now. They have LIED to me and kept fobbing me off so today I canceled my D/D and canceled Virgin. No apology just told me my original tariff doesn't exist anymore. Basically they wanted me off the tariff and have treated me like rubbish in order to achieve this. Companies like Virgin don't deserve our custom, we need to make a stand.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

VIRGIN MOBILE WILL STEAL FROM YOU: READ BELOW. I ordered a new phone from Virgin. Upon receipt, tried to activate. The website was non-functional, so tried by phone. I spent a total of 6 hours on the phone trying to activate. I spent another 3 hours the next day with their tech people trying to activate, no go. I decided to cancel service and return phone. I tried to use their web return function, took 2 days, then the next day got an email acknowledging return request and said they would handle it. Waited days, nothing. Called their hell lines, told they would send a return label. Waited and nothing.

Called again told they would send return label. Called again a week later, and suddenly they had no record of all my calls, and told they did not do return labels. Also told that they would not accept return since it was past seven days, even though I initiated return within 3. It was their incompetence/dishonest thievery that delayed it. If I thought taking them to small claims would amount to anything, I would. AVOID AVOID AVOID.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Worst cell company ever in my personal opinion. Rude customer service employees and service of phone is almost none existence. I can't log into my Google account on my phone because the data isn't working. Highly recommend going elsewhere for a cell phone.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Virgin Mobile is awful. I’ve been with him since I graduated high school level six and they were not that bad. Now they are terrible. I got a six-month music subscription service. I put in my phone number three times. I have called to fix this issue. They make me restart my phone, reset my settings, give me other codes and text messages and nothing works. This is awful customer service and they outsource all their call centers to India and no one speaks any English. It’s a rip off or how bad this is.

When I first bought a phone I bought a used iPhone 6S and they gave me a phone with water damage I went to the Apple Store to get a new battery and they said that there was water damage and they couldn’t help me so then I had to buy a battery on Amazon to replace the battery myself. Not that bad of issues but I am not happy with Virgin Mobile shady business practices. Selling damaged phone with water damage is on except a bowl and they wouldn’t allow me to return it.

Richard Branson is a billionaire and a complete jerk. He needs to fix this company. You would think for a guy who’s worth billions would invest in better customer service and stop outsourcing to India! And they gave me a phone with water damage. I went to the Apple Store to get a new battery and they said that there was water damage and they couldn’t help me so then I had to buy a battery on Amazon to replace the battery myself. Not that bad of issues but I am not happy with Virgin Mobile shady business practices. Selling damaged phone with water damage is on except a bowl and they wouldn’t allow me to return it. I’m done!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

In 2006 finally broke down and got a cell phone after hitting a moose and finding no one on CB airwaves. Went with pay-as-you-go plan of 20... Top-Up every 90 days and make 1 phone call a month. Simple enough and met my needs. Over the next year other family members joined the ranks. I used the accumulated balances to upgrade our phones. Even bought smartphones knowing they would never be activated. They did make good cheap mp3 players and cameras though. Fast forward to Sept 2017 and Virgin Mobile doing away with that old plan and moving us to 20.00 per month plan for same phone only usage.

When we started in 2006, customer service wasn't too bad. But in the intervening years it went to less than nothing. A year ago I was sooo glad to find a carrier that is much cheaper. For 31.00/month we get 300 minutes talk, unlimited texts and free data if wifi is used. The 31.00 reflects 3 phones/accounts. The customer service is exemplary. If I contact them at a later date, representative will say "According to notes by so-and-so on such and such date you had this issue. Did it resolve? Are you having a new problem?"

The difference is night and day. Our cell phones are for emergencies so 300 minutes is more than adequate. Unlimited text is non-issue as we don't text much at all. Same with data. The best thing was we were finally able to activate those smartphones as enough time had passed. They were unlocked. Now just waiting till Dec so we can activate newer smartphones that were purchased from VM. Our old flip phones were donated to the women's shelter. To the reviewer that wanted to know what to do with balance accrued hope this review gave you some ideas.

Virgin Mobile expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Virgin Mobile USA is a subsidiary of Sprint and offers prepaid plans for smartphones and basic phones. The company operates in countries outside the United States under different ownership. It has been in business since 2002, and the U.S. headquarters are in Kansas City, Mo. They primarily offer unlimited plans, but custom pay-as-you-go plans may be available from select retail locations.

• Music streaming: Virgin Mobile customers with unlimited plans can stream music from one of the company’s partner apps, including Spotify, Pandora and others, without it counting against their high speed data usage.

• Data Packs: Customers who occasionally need extra data but don’t need a high-data plan every month can purchase Data Packs from their online Virgin Mobile account. Extra data is available for as little as $5 and is available for one month.

• Lost phone protection: If customers lose their phone, they can contact Virgin Mobile to have their service immediately suspended. Once they have a new phone, they can have the remaining service time and data transferred to their new phone.

• Additional features: Interested customers can add several features to their phone for an additional fee, including mobile hotspot connectivity, visual voicemail and text-to-landline service. They can also add CallWatch, which alerts customers to calls likely coming from telemarketers, bill collectors or scammers.

• International plans: Customers who regularly make calls to other countries can add international service to their plan for an additional monthly fee. Multiple international options are available to meet different customers’ needs.

• Best for: Virgin Mobile is best for parents and budget-conscious customers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs