2.13/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 15, 2017

1070 Virgin Mobile Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I had an account and referred my girlfriend to add on another due to Virgin Mobile promised to give me $50 for referral but they never honor. When I called their customer service, they went through several personnel and told me to go back to where I open the account. After one month of service, they kept calling my girlfriend for payment. They are very demanding and annoying. Finally my girlfriend got fed up and terminated the service. Then they come on to me 2 weeks before payment due date and threatening to disconnect the line. When I make a payment online, they text me that I still miss one more payment out of the blue. There was a timeline I required to 2 month payment to keep my line going.

Another time they charged me $67 extra. When I keep asking for reasons, they transferred several personnel again and told the charge due because 2 years ago owing. I spent 47 minutes to deal with it asked for proof which never came. Lately, I ignored their payment demanding incoming calls by pick up the phone but keep myself quiet. Now the phone was not working through the network. Overall, Virgin Mobile is so far the very very worst phone company I have dealt with. Not recommend to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I have been a good customer for around 4 yrs. Even though their service was not the best. I recently switched carriers because, VM's service was not very good. I emailed them to get a refund of the money I put on my account just in case! I waited for a response, and NO response until after I cancelled and switched! Then they told me I cannot have my money back, because I have cancelled the account!! What legit business does this. They STOLE my money. My personal money! I was not behind on bills because I had auto pay, always been a good customer. I have now put in a complaint to the BBB and will also be putting in a complaint to the Attorney General! I suggest, from reading the complaints, that everyone else do the same. I see I am not the only one they stole money from.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Ok I am a owner of a Virgin Mobile phone I paid cash for and due to the ** service I need to take my paid for Virgin Mobile phone and have it unlocked. The service department would not allow me to unlock the phone once again I paid cash for. Said I had to be a customer for one year before unlocking my phone. How crappy is a company that gives you ** service and one makes you keep your paid for phone locked into their ** service that never worked where they said it would. People wake up. Don't buy or become a owner of a Virgin Mobile phone or service unless you don't even wanna get kissed first.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I have been a Virgin Mobile customer for 2 years, why I'm not sure. Their phones aren't warrantied by the manufacturers, their tech support is incompetent, infrastructure is unreliable and no one seems to care. I've bought 3 phones from them, 1 of the phones' display went bad 45 day after purchasing, the manufacturer said Virgin Mobile was responsible for warranty of the phone, Virgin would do nothing, not responsible for damages.

My other phones not able to reliably make or receive calls for the last month although their tech support has told me there's a tower under repair and should be working in 72 hours, it's been a month. They're not even smart enough to keep a call log that they told me the same story 10 times. At least that phone works some of the time. My wife's phone won't hardly work at all.

I did find out through another carrier the tower that's down is about a mile away but there's another 3G tower.6 of a mile from my house. Overall it was easier to switch carriers and get new phones than continue service with Virgin. I will never use another Sprint product in my life. I tried to use them because Sprint's based close to Kansas City and it was the worst experience I've ever had. Bad company, with junk products, staffed by irresponsible incompetent people.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Crappy service. Sad phone selection. And even when you buy a phone that should work on their service they can still decide that they don't want to take it and make you buy from their crappy selection. Spend the extra money on a better cell service. Don't come here.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Virgin Mobile?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I have been a Virgin customer for 4 years, and let’s be honest the coverage sucks. It takes forever sometimes to get the connection through. But the contracts are inexpensive so I never bothered to shop around. Their customer supervise is impossible to get a hold of. I purchased a new phone with Total Wireless 10 days into my monthly service renewal with Virgin.

Total Wireless completed the switch and I contacted Virgin about my refund for the last 17 days remaining for that month. They denied the refund stating that I had already used up all my data usage. My Virgin plan had unlimited data, text and phone usage, so I explained to them why this was the case. They went on and on about things that did not make sense. NEVER use this company, it’s impossible to get in contact with a live customer service and they cheat you out of money. The service is horrible, Total Wireless is $35 a month for unlimited data and text, and you can actually talk to a real live customer service person. The service is great and my 4G is super fast for $35 a month. Virgin is horrible company and they cheat you out of money owed to you!!!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Purchased two iPhones. Tried returning one. Never, could return it. Can’t wait for year to be over. To never deal with Virgin /Sprint again. Unlimited internet but is slower than 1mbp. Can’t use internet while on phone. Or send a photo text in under 5 minutes. Horrible customer service. Stay away! Not even for $1.00! I will post a YouTube to show how slow their internet is.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I've been a loyal customer of Virgin Mobile for several years. In the last year though, had some issues and needed to contact service. In the past, service was good. Now, repeatedly, that have wrong information, doesn't solve problems, were even rude at times. Sad because I use to like the company and they use to be good. Wasted a lot of time and went through a lot of hassle with them. I've now switched to a new company. Much happier.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

My husband and I have had an account with Virgin Mobile for about 8 years. Our payment is automatically deducted monthly. We've been excellent customers. We've had to replace our phones several times for various reasons. The last time I replaced my husband's phone I purchased it from Wal-Mart. It was in a Virgin box like all Virgin phones I previously purchased. When I got home and called Virgin to activate I was told it had to be activated on Virgin Data Done Right. I had no idea why but it was a Virgin phone so I assumed it would be a Virgin account.

Recently I received a text from Virgin saying my credit card would soon expire. I went online to my account and changed the expiration date. When I tried to go into my husband's account there was a notice that stated Data Done Right no longer existed. It also said, "If you had not chosen another plan with another phone you would no longer have service after August 31, 2017." It also stated everyone was notified of this upcoming change. I can without hesitation state we NEVER received such notice. I knew NOTHING about this and only found out because I was trying to update my credit card information.

I spent a couple hours on the phone with Virgin representatives. I stated I had bought a Virgin phone in a Virgin box activated on a Virgin plan with a Virgin owned business but they claimed they could not help me. They advised I had to buy a new phone (my VIRGIN phone would not work on their VIRGIN system), set up a new account on their system and my husband would lose his number that he has had for 18 years! This is crazy. There is no Data Done Right to talk to. No account to swap the number from. Nothing.

Today my husband's phone is working but he is within days of his billing date and should lose his service. How can Virgin get away with this? They apparently tried to partner with Wal-Mart and failed. They should have had a better plan to protect their customers and retain loyalty. I'm furious. I'm making the move to AT&T!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I've been Virgin Mobile customer for several years and must say it's been great! They have a very reliable service and phone plans. Virgin provides loyal customers with great rewards and promotional offers!!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I pay under $40 for unlimited data, text and calls and I'm happy with Virgin. The service is reliable and fast. I recommend to others. You can beat $40 per month for such service.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

There are very few times I don't have a great connection. For unlimited service, I only pay $30 a month. I don't think I can do better. Their online billing service is very user-friendly. When I upgraded my phone, they talked me through the process, making sure I had backed up my contacts and such.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

It only costs me about $85 a year for their service. I was down south in St. Louis and called Wisconsin and the reception was great. Great company. I would highly recommend Virgin Mobile to anyone who doesn't need a lot of fancy stuff on their phone.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

We subscribed to Virgin when we purchased our son's first mobile phone. We found that the calls dropped frequently, wouldn't receive text messages from our fantastic provider, TELUS, for literally hours and the billing very difficult to understand. When we canceled the account with Virgin, we tried to pay the outstanding amount on the phone, but, we were advised to wait until the bill came in the mail because they weren't set up to allow us to pay online. We finally received the bill the week of September 11 and then the phone calls started. When I attempted to make arrangements to pay the bill over time, I was advised that that was not acceptable and that I had to pay it in full. I explained our situation and that we would be more than willing to pay it as quickly as possible. The person on the phone was less than pleasant, personable or approachable.

On September 12, we made the effort to call and we spoke with a very pleasant girl by the name of Nina. She was helpful, professional and accommodating. She was willing to work with us to come to an arrangement that worked so that we could pay the final amount in a reasonable amount of time. We even paid $64.98 the next day and provided them with a Confirmation # in a show of good faith to concrete the fact that we were quite willing to pay the balance by the end of the month. September 16, we start receiving phone calls again stating that they need to hear from us on "a time-sensitive issue" by the end of the day. September 18, I called the number to inquire of the nature of their call and was advised that we had an outstanding balance and that it needed to be paid.

Again, I advised the person that we had made arrangements and he assured me that he would mark it down in the notes. 8 p.m., the very same evening, we receive yet ANOTHER call from these boneheads advising us of the exact same thing that was sitting in the notes on their "system". I, again, advised the girl to look at her notes and she said that she can't see the notes until the call has been generated. What a ridiculous system, Richard! Are you intent on running this already poor excuse for a mobile company into the ground even further? Your Customer "Service"/Billing Department seems intent on expediting that process for you.

After the person on the phone was finished bumbling her way through an attempt to intimate a payment from us, her Supervisor came on and proceeded to attempt further intimidation tactics along with a pathetic attempt at listening and understanding that we had already made numerous follow-up calls and arrangements to settle the bill. I would NEVER recommend this company for anything as far as communication needs. They showed, very clearly and repeatedly, that they have no desire to listen to their customer, their service was horrible and that they are intent on accepting one way of Customer Service: Get their money and then... we'll see what happens. Are you listening Sir Richard?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I've been with Virgin for several years and still love them. Great company with great perks and amazing service. As long as they keep providing this I will be a forever customer.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Virgin Mobile changes people’s plans to save themselves funds. They do not inform customers of cheaper, better ones or cheaper ways to get phones. They misguided the BBB by telling them there had been no change in my plan done by them even though I had a screenshot by saying there was no change since 2017. The problem predated that. They are unfriendly to disabled customers. They do have good email access which is great but often responses are not helpful. Also, their prices are very good and that is why I stick with them.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

Virgin Mobile has been a good provider, for cell phone, they offer competitive prices, and very dependable phones, should you need to upgrade. I have my payment set to auto pay. The 8 yrs I have been with them, no dropped calls, no interruption in any services, I have the unlimited plan... unless the local cell tower is down.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I have been a customer of Virgin Mobile for about a decade. When I initiated the service, I needed a dependable inexpensive no-contract cell phone and Virgin Mobile fit that description. My experience during that time was almost always very good. A few days ago, I dropped my cell phone and the screen broke out of the phone. It was time for a new phone so I went out that day and bought a new updated phone that was branded as a Virgin Mobile phone. I called to activate the service and the customer service representative assured me I would be able to maintain the phone number I've had for a decade. She said it would take 2 or 3 hours for my service to be switched to the new phone, I thanked her for her assistance, and we hung up.

When my service was activated, I discovered the phone number had changed. I called Virgin Mobile and asked that my number be corrected to the number I'd always had. As a single father raising three children and working as a business owner with three separate customer bases and business contact streams, my phone number is crucial to maintaining my family and my income.

I was told that Virgin Mobile would not be able to return my original Virgin Mobile phone number to my account. The representative told me it would be in my "best interest to accept the new number." I disagreed and asked for a supervisor. After being put on hold several times and transferred to several employees, I was told over and over that Virgin Mobile would not return/transfer the number I had been using a day before. A number I'd paid for and still had in service on my broken phone.

I contacted Virgin Mobile customer service via their website link and reiterated my situation. I have received several responses, the last three of which said I would be receiving a call from a representative within a day to resolve the issues. Multiple days have passed and I have received no call. And more importantly, my number remains incorrect.

I am very disappointed to discover that Virgin Mobile is so inept it can't handle something as simple as a phone number transfer for a long-time customer who bought a new phone. And I am further disappointed that Virgin Mobile is apparently ignoring my continued requests to rectify the situation. If I am forced to give up my phone number and disrupt my ability to earn income, I may as well change carriers as well.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I have been a Virgin Mobile customer for several years, and since I had purchased my phone from Walmart I was on the Data Done Right Plan. I purchased a new Virgin Mobile phone today and was told upon trying to activate my phone that as of August 31, 2017 Virgin Mobile had done away with the Data Done Right Plan. From what I have gathered, this means that if you are on the Data Done Right Plan, your plan will be cancelled by the end of the month and you will not be able to use your current phone or transfer your number to a new phone. When I tried transferring my number to my new Virgin Mobile phone, customer service told me that my phone number could not be transferred because I did not call in before Data Done Right was terminated. I am extremely frustrated because I was never notified by Virgin Mobile about these changes.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I have been a customer for almost 10 years and would not have rated so highly years ago. I stayed because the price was right and still is. Also, I no longer fall off-network or lose cell phone connectivity as phones are proprietary to Virgin. I now have Galaxy s-7 and prior a ZTE-Awe which have had no issues for years. I was in regular contact with overseas tech support which is now stateside and overseas. It was 50/50 % in terms of knowledge on phones and tech and it is no longer an issue for me for some time.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

It's just ok. Not good and not bad for the price. Not good customer service... Hard to get someone on the phone. And since the BOE enforced taxes their service isn't much different than the others, and there are dead zones right where I live... Powered by Sprint. Sprint owns them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I've been with Virgin Mobile for 13 years and late last night they cut my service off even though they withdrew my monthly fee. It was then explained to me that they are no longer accepting phones bought from Walmart so I needed to purchase a new phone. I explained I'm disabled and that they should of warned me about my Walmart v.m. phone no longer working. I can't just go out and replace it so as a disabled person I'm left without a phone. It's funny because I can go online and YouTube with my v.m. Walmart phone but I can't use text messaging or make phone calls.

Again I'm disabled and explained to them why I need my phone. If I need to call in meds, my Dr or I fall. All they could say is sorry. I explained to them that two weeks ago my phone stopped working and that I e-mailed Virgin Mobile and they denied me as a customer. A person who was a customer for 13 years. I had to screenshot my account, with my phone number, to show them I was a customer before they wrote back and acknowledged that I was. Never once did they say my Walmart phone would be shutting down. I also wrote I was disabled.

Well my phone started working again until last night. They took over $100 from my account and yet shut off my phone. I had to go online, order a new phone and pay $12 just so it gets shipped to me tomorrow because I can't be without a phone. I told the supervisor someone should of explained this to me after the numerous e-mails two weeks ago. I also said if something happens to me and I have no phone I will sue the ** of Virgin. All she could say is, "I understand your problem and sorry." Sorry is helping me with the $100 they stole and no services. All my family and Drs have my phone number and if that wasn't the case I would bail from v.m. but please don't sign up with them. They could care less about a disabled person having no service. They won't care about you!!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I have only being with VM for less than 4 months and I feel trapped, I wish there was a way to be protected by the law as a consumer. It is impossible to get an answer from customer service, after hours of frustration you end up back to square one but double frustration or exponential I would say. My data just magically gets magically used, while I am home with WiFi and talking on the phone, nothing but talking on an incoming call. Not using any browsing and in less than 2 minutes more than 600 MB are used, how???

Customer service blames it on my apps, my phone, updates taking place, etc, magically the first month was low data usage, second was higher, third was even higher. I have not changed my habits whatsoever, I was with Koodo prior to this and had only 500 MB, never used it up during my billing period. Now I am crazily using twice more? How does that? Is this a different type of MB? Nobody can give me an answer.

I am monumentally frustrated and Do not recommend VM to anyone who wants to keep their sanity. I just don't think I can make it for another 20 months with this company!!! Any ideas??? I don't think it is even fair for me to pay the almost $500 for the penalty. For leaving. I seriously think we need some protection by the law as customers. I have literally called them every day and the amount of frustration that I have gone through, has not limits. Worst provider ever, NOT RECOMMENDED at all.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

Service is average, so is their range. Wifi is below average. But outstanding value & customer service. I have problems with my voicemail & messages defaulting but this maybe a problem with my 2 year old phone, not Virgin Mobile.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Virgin is considerate and respectful to its customers. Billing and support is helpful and again considerate. Pricing is more than fair and I would recommend them to anyone desiring to leave the big three mobile providers.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I think the phone you buy has a lot to do with how happy you are with them. I had an Android at first, wasn't that great, but since I got an iPhone, everything has been 10 times better.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I have been using Virgin Mobile service for 4 years. And I found their customer service sucks! They will blame everything on users instead of thinking about problems they have. They have 95% alert on data, after that, they will just wait for you to exceed the plan and charge you with extra fee on data usage. They are just smart and dirty. They got a bunch of ** in billing department, so you can never argue with them.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Virgin Mobile allowed a phone upgrade and creation of a 2 year contract with an individual who was not listed on the account. This charge is being charged to my credit card. Initially reported to VM customer service who confirmed that the transaction should not have been allowed. VM customer service advised that I contact the Executive Office. After over 7 weeks of repeatedly contacting VM customer service, submitting more than one complaint and trading several emails, the Executive Office has not resolved the issue. VM Executive Office are not responding to my request for a personal conversation, although I have asked this repeatedly. They have not provided any evidence to show that the transaction was justified in being authorized.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

In June 2017, I called the Virgin Mobile over the phone to cancel my son's services since the account was opened by me. I was advised to cancel the account before the next billing cycle which is what I did. The number was transferred to Freedom Mobile so that he can retain the same number. I asked about my final bill and was told that the final bill will be sent with the next billing cycle. In July I received a Bill of over $300. I called the customer service to confirm that this is my final bill and I was informed that yes that is the final bill. I paid off the bill.

Late July I received a new bill of $73.26 for amount owing. I called again and the customer service I spoke to was arguing with me that the $73.26 is for services owing in July. How can I owe July bill when the line was transferred to Freedom Mobile in June before the next billing cycle? I requested to speak to a manager and the representative refused to transfer me to the manager. This is a very unorganized and dubious way of doing business. Your customers should not be charged after the services provided has been discontinued. I won't recommend Virgin mobile to any of my friends or family because the bills are unnecessarily high for poor services. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

In December 2015 I renewed my mobile phone contract with Virgin, having been with them for the past seven years. They sent me a new Samsung Galaxy S5 which has been nothing but bother. The camera stopped working, the charge runs out after a day, the signal is terrible and I now have to restart my phone every time I want to send or receive a message. Virgin customer services advise I must keep the phone for the last four months of the contract or pay 80 to cancel early. They advised they could send the phone away for repair for between 3-5 days but would not provide replacement phone. Virgin have just lost another long standing customer as I won't be renewing with them in December. I hope other people review poor service otherwise we have only ourselves to blame when large businesses take the ** out of us!

Virgin Mobile expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Virgin Mobile USA is a subsidiary of Sprint and offers prepaid plans for smartphones and basic phones. The company operates in countries outside the United States under different ownership. It has been in business since 2002, and the U.S. headquarters are in Kansas City, Mo. They primarily offer unlimited plans, but custom pay-as-you-go plans may be available from select retail locations.

• Music streaming: Virgin Mobile customers with unlimited plans can stream music from one of the company’s partner apps, including Spotify, Pandora and others, without it counting against their high speed data usage.

• Data Packs: Customers who occasionally need extra data but don’t need a high-data plan every month can purchase Data Packs from their online Virgin Mobile account. Extra data is available for as little as $5 and is available for one month.

• Lost phone protection: If customers lose their phone, they can contact Virgin Mobile to have their service immediately suspended. Once they have a new phone, they can have the remaining service time and data transferred to their new phone.

• Additional features: Interested customers can add several features to their phone for an additional fee, including mobile hotspot connectivity, visual voicemail and text-to-landline service. They can also add CallWatch, which alerts customers to calls likely coming from telemarketers, bill collectors or scammers.

• International plans: Customers who regularly make calls to other countries can add international service to their plan for an additional monthly fee. Multiple international options are available to meet different customers’ needs.

• Best for: Virgin Mobile is best for parents and budget-conscious customers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs