2.29/5
Based on 86 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Virgin Mobile

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 20, 2018

1092 Virgin Mobile Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

I wanted to give the Virgin Mobile a chance to see if they have better and faster service than my present provider as they really wanted to give me a month free trial to see how good their service is. I am warning you, DO NOT get this service installed! The quality and the range are so bad that we were not even able to connect at all in half of the house. I called to cancel the service and get my old internet working again, as their technician came in, disconnected our old service and connected theirs instead. I never canceled my service with the old provider in case I will be dissatisfied.

They do not send their technicians back! You are responsible to connect your old service. They will not come to your place again and if you don't know how to do it yourself, you have to call the old provider to make a technical call and you have to pay for it $60 or depending on the company. In a meantime, they immediately disconnected us (even if we still had two weeks of trial for free). They would not tell you, they will disconnect you immediately. I found this out from the representative afterward at the end of our conversation when I had questions. They would not connect us again for a few days until the technician will connect our old service. Now we are left with no service at all!!! REALLY?! Furious.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Free $100 Amazon card with purchase of new iPhone. Never got code or gift card. Called 3 times. Got nowhere and nobody speaks regular English so they make it like it's a communications problem. I'm done. Been there since the beginning. I don't recommend!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Granddaughter purchased used iPhone 7 from Virgin Mobile. Her phone died, so she purchased used one from this company and paid extra for overnight shipping. Received next day, did not work. Tried to contact them but had hard time getting someone except for them to tell her to send it back and when they received phone they sent her, they would then send a replacement. Due to job and school, she needed phone immediately. Took phone VM sent to her to Apple store and it failed all tests. They offered replacement for $150 but kept iPhone received by VM. Any attempt to get them to reimburse her kept saying to send back phone they sent her. What a rip. If this failed at the Apple store, why was this sent to her to begin with. Need to make people aware of their practices. Cannot get anyone to help her out at VM.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Virgin are the epitome of a nightmare company. My experience has been absolutely awful, Terrible coverage, terrible service, mostly rude & incompetent call centre employees, my friends & family are with other companies & they receive bonuses & help when asked, every time I get a headache, they don't care about the people that pay their wages, data system is set up to make people pay more & you can't change that, never ever go with Virgin.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I was a Virgin Mobile customer for about 3 1/2 years. Here are some of my things I liked and didn't like about Virgin. Likes - Cheap phone plans compared to major carriers, easy bill pay and account settings, Runs good deals on phone every so often. Dislikes - Limited Coverage, Very slow almost unusable data after you exceed your amount. I would and would not recommend Virgin Mobile. If you live in an area that is rural you will most likely have very poor or no coverage. However, if you live in a highly populated area you will most likely have coverage. Also, once you use your 2.5 GB of data (for the $35 a month plan) your data slows down so much it is basically useless. I would recommend Cricket Wireless over Virgin because they have very comparable plans with more data than Virgin offers and much much much better coverage.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Virgin Mobile?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

Called customer service. They changed my plan to a higher priced one. There was no one to talk to. Just pre-recorded nonsense. I got refurb phones that never worked and they didn’t always take them back. I hate this service. Had I known they were Sprint, I never would have selected them in the first place.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

When it was time for me to buy a new phone, about 5 years ago, I decided to go with Virgin Mobile and purchase a iPhone through the mail. Service was set up within about a week, which was a little longer than expected, but fine. While I lived in the city (Washington, DC) I had no issues with service, but anytime I tried to go outside the city I would often lose coverage and not be able to use my phone or map services. Because my plan was cheap (~$40 a month) I stayed with Virgin Mobile. However, we moved to western Massachusetts about a year ago and I've had really spotty service ever since. I cannot make phone calls anywhere in my own house. My family decided to switch to Cricket and do a family plan which would save us money and give us unlimited data. I tried to take my phone to Cricket, but Virgin Mobile had a lock on it, despite me being a customer for over 4 years.

I had to call them (~30 minutes on hold) and was transferred to an account specialist to ask to have it unlocked and they said it would take 48 hours. I had to leave the Cricket store with only 3 activated phones since mine remained locked. Fortunately it appeared to be unlocked the next day, so I trekked back to Cricket and they informed me I'd have to call and get my account number. I called them (~15 minutes on hold) and was again transferred to an account specialist who eventually gave me my account number. She said it twice and I repeated it back to her. I thought all was well, but when Cricket tried again to activate my phone, they said the account number was valid, and even commented that Virgin Mobile gives incorrect numbers often and they were not surprised.

I had to call again (~10 minutes on hold) and was transferred to an account specialist who was able to give me the correct account number and finally was able to activate my account with Cricket. I called them to confirm that my account had been closed, and I was told that the account will automatically close when service fully switches over. I made to sure to turn off auto-pay to hopefully avoid having to call in the future. With such a shady operation, I cannot recommend using their service to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

My experience is 100% good. I've never had an issue with Virgin Mobile. Of the few times I've had to talk to them they ALWAYS have gone far beyond what's considered great customer service. They even paid my bill one month... without me calling... asking or anything. They never hassle you when your bill is due. Anyone that says otherwise is most likely a liar as I've had multiple accounts over the years and not once was I bothered about paying my bill.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I've never had worse customer service in my life. I was enticed by their $1 a month service plan and figured it would be worth a shot to try out, and decided to purchase an iPhone through the website. I called customer service to adjust the shipping since I would be out of town on the expected arrival date and after 3 operators and 45 minutes I was told I was good to go.

12 hours later, I received shipping confirmation that confirmed I was in fact, not good to go, and I called up the customer service again. After 22 minutes of holding I spoke to a customer service agent who told me it was my fault that the phone was going to the wrong location and that they wouldn't be able to help me. Thankfully, I experienced this before activating the phone and getting locked into their system for the next year! Whatever $$ saved by switching to Virgin Mobile is definitely not worth taking the risk of having a phone tied to an awful network or dealing with this poor level of customer service. I'd gladly pay an extra few $$ to not have to deal with these folks ever again.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I have been with Virgin Mobile wireless and home internet. Every time I had a issue with my network or regarding bill or any other issue I had never been satisfied with their service. Biggest mistake Virgin did was hire some 3rd party customer service companies to handle their customers. They have bunch of illiterates in Philippines somewhere with language problems. They hardly listen to your concern or empathize with you. They are rude and talk over you. YOU CALL THIS CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

I’ve been paying 90 dollars per month for a 3GB internet for past 1.5 years and I requested them to reduce it to more affordable plan that better suits my needs since I don’t need much internet nor do I need unlimited mins. The lady suggested me to do early cancellation on contract and leave virgin to find something better… didn’t even listen and transferred me to service department to cancel my contract. ARE YOU KIDDING? Virgin Mobile needs to wake up so they stop losing their customers. Virgin should remain in North America only because people here do understand customer service and help their customers until the end. These contracted companies with idiots behind the phone don’t know crap.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

For over a month now, I have had nothing but trouble. There is supposedly an outage that is making my service intermittent at best. For a month. I was only able to make/receive calls and simple texts. I could only use the internet if connected to wifi. And now, my phone reset and I can't even make/receive calls or text. I can use internet if connected to wifi. I was told by Virgin Mobile that once the outage was resolved they would pro-rate for the times of the outages.

Well, quite frankly, that doesn't help me NOW. I need my phone. Every single doctor, my job, family, etc have this number. How am I supposed to get calls about test results or if there is an emergency at my house or something if I can't even use the service that was paid for? This is insane. I will NEVER recommend this company. And I will be switching to another phone company. I did tell them I still want the full refund for the last 2 months since I haven't been able to use the service I have paid for. And I will continue to call and message until that refund is given.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

First time ever writing a review, I’ve had a phone and the same number with Virgin Mobile for seven years. I lost the phone. Called them on Sept 18, and was told I could suspend the account for 90 days and I’ll be be able to keep the same phone number once I’m ready to get the phone back on. I asked them three times to make sure I was hearing them correctly. I have 90 days. I said ok. Keeping this number the same is important. I explained to them that was very important to me because my 10 year old Autistic daughter knows the number and I didn’t want to go through her having to learn a new number.

On Dec 1 I called to buy a new phone and deactivate my phone number. I was then told I had two months to keep the same number and the number no longer existed. After speaking with two supervisors and being on the phone with them for over an hour, begging them to pull the call they could care less kept saying it’s nothing they can do. I get that now but I was given the wrong information. I would have continue paying the bill while the phone was lost just to keep the same number. I’m so upset about this. They really need to communicate better with customers.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I had an account and referred my girlfriend to add on another due to Virgin Mobile promised to give me $50 for referral but they never honor. When I called their customer service, they went through several personnel and told me to go back to where I open the account. After one month of service, they kept calling my girlfriend for payment. They are very demanding and annoying. Finally my girlfriend got fed up and terminated the service. Then they come on to me 2 weeks before payment due date and threatening to disconnect the line. When I make a payment online, they text me that I still miss one more payment out of the blue. There was a timeline I required to 2 month payment to keep my line going.

Another time they charged me $67 extra. When I keep asking for reasons, they transferred several personnel again and told the charge due because 2 years ago owing. I spent 47 minutes to deal with it asked for proof which never came. Lately, I ignored their payment demanding incoming calls by pick up the phone but keep myself quiet. Now the phone was not working through the network. Overall, Virgin Mobile is so far the very very worst phone company I have dealt with. Not recommend to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I have an older model iPhone, which suits me fine, as I don't use it much. I have it mostly for emergencies and to play solitaire. The contract I have is much cheaper than the other companies.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I purchased a pre-pay Virgin Mobile phone + phone service by the month. While my phone was still under warranty, it stopped working through no fault of my own. Virgin Mobile reported they were mailing me a replacement phone + it would arrive within 2 weeks. The phone failed to arrive. I was instructed to continue waiting. I kept calling to check on the status of my phone w/ the reference # Virgin Mobile "customer service" had provided to me. Six weeks went by.

Then Virgin Mobile claimed there was no such reference # as the one they had provided to me. Then Virgin Mobile claimed that I had been misinformed when the V.M. rep I identified by name, time, + date of call reported a warranty replacement phone was being mailed to me. Virgin Mobile admitted to lying to me, but they refused to provide me w/ the promised warranty replacement phone or to provide the phone service I had paid for. I vowed never to do business w/ any Virgin owned company after this long runaround + rip off.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I have always used Virgin Mobile and have never had any problems. I feel they provide great service and their customer service reps are very courteous, knowledgeable and helpful. The overall cost of service is very reasonable and less than other companies.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I have been a good customer for around 4 yrs. Even though their service was not the best. I recently switched carriers because, VM's service was not very good. I emailed them to get a refund of the money I put on my account just in case! I waited for a response, and NO response until after I cancelled and switched! Then they told me I cannot have my money back, because I have cancelled the account!! What legit business does this. They STOLE my money. My personal money! I was not behind on bills because I had auto pay, always been a good customer. I have now put in a complaint to the BBB and will also be putting in a complaint to the Attorney General! I suggest, from reading the complaints, that everyone else do the same. I see I am not the only one they stole money from.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I use Straight Talk. It's very convenient. I pay around $45/month with no contract. I can call anyone and text as many times as I want with no extra charge. The only problem is when you dial "411" it's very difficult to get the numbers you want. It's a recording and it never understands your request and there's no human to speak to and you can't type in your request So I Google to find the numbers.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I have always found them to be a great value for my particular needs and the price fits into my budget as well, thank you and good night sweet prince.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

We have used Virgin Mobile service for several years, and had built up a nice cash balance for unused minutes, then when we wanted to pay our monthly bill using the unused minutes balance Virgin Mobile would not let us pay our bill in that fashion, they did let us purchase new phones with the balance but then would not let us switch to another carrier for 1 year.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

No interruptions for service in areas. Low cost plans. Helpful representatives. For bill pay. Virgin Mobile works also through Boost Mobile. Had service in 2 states, total 6 years unlimited no worries.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Ok I am a owner of a Virgin Mobile phone I paid cash for and due to the ** service I need to take my paid for Virgin Mobile phone and have it unlocked. The service department would not allow me to unlock the phone once again I paid cash for. Said I had to be a customer for one year before unlocking my phone. How crappy is a company that gives you ** service and one makes you keep your paid for phone locked into their ** service that never worked where they said it would. People wake up. Don't buy or become a owner of a Virgin Mobile phone or service unless you don't even wanna get kissed first.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

I have been a Virgin Mobile customer for 2 years, why I'm not sure. Their phones aren't warrantied by the manufacturers, their tech support is incompetent, infrastructure is unreliable and no one seems to care. I've bought 3 phones from them, 1 of the phones' display went bad 45 day after purchasing, the manufacturer said Virgin Mobile was responsible for warranty of the phone, Virgin would do nothing, not responsible for damages.

My other phones not able to reliably make or receive calls for the last month although their tech support has told me there's a tower under repair and should be working in 72 hours, it's been a month. They're not even smart enough to keep a call log that they told me the same story 10 times. At least that phone works some of the time. My wife's phone won't hardly work at all.

I did find out through another carrier the tower that's down is about a mile away but there's another 3G tower.6 of a mile from my house. Overall it was easier to switch carriers and get new phones than continue service with Virgin. I will never use another Sprint product in my life. I tried to use them because Sprint's based close to Kansas City and it was the worst experience I've ever had. Bad company, with junk products, staffed by irresponsible incompetent people.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Great web bill service, confirming payments, and good app. Service for a year was dependable, and latest weather alerts was informative. Could not had been a better service.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Virgin Mobile was the best from 2008 to 2016. Then everything went downhill with their customer service and their BS plans. Two weeks into your plan you get a message that you've used up your internet access.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I been with Virgin Mobile for almost two years and never had problems. I recommend anybody to choose this company and I PLAN on staying with Virgin Mobile after my phone is pay for soon.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Crappy service. Sad phone selection. And even when you buy a phone that should work on their service they can still decide that they don't want to take it and make you buy from their crappy selection. Spend the extra money on a better cell service. Don't come here.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I have been a Virgin customer for 4 years, and let’s be honest the coverage sucks. It takes forever sometimes to get the connection through. But the contracts are inexpensive so I never bothered to shop around. Their customer supervise is impossible to get a hold of. I purchased a new phone with Total Wireless 10 days into my monthly service renewal with Virgin.

Total Wireless completed the switch and I contacted Virgin about my refund for the last 17 days remaining for that month. They denied the refund stating that I had already used up all my data usage. My Virgin plan had unlimited data, text and phone usage, so I explained to them why this was the case. They went on and on about things that did not make sense. NEVER use this company, it’s impossible to get in contact with a live customer service and they cheat you out of money. The service is horrible, Total Wireless is $35 a month for unlimited data and text, and you can actually talk to a real live customer service person. The service is great and my 4G is super fast for $35 a month. Virgin is horrible company and they cheat you out of money owed to you!!!

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Purchased two iPhones. Tried returning one. Never, could return it. Can’t wait for year to be over. To never deal with Virgin /Sprint again. Unlimited internet but is slower than 1mbp. Can’t use internet while on phone. Or send a photo text in under 5 minutes. Horrible customer service. Stay away! Not even for $1.00! I will post a YouTube to show how slow their internet is.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I've been a loyal customer of Virgin Mobile for several years. In the last year though, had some issues and needed to contact service. In the past, service was good. Now, repeatedly, that have wrong information, doesn't solve problems, were even rude at times. Sad because I use to like the company and they use to be good. Wasted a lot of time and went through a lot of hassle with them. I've now switched to a new company. Much happier.

Virgin Mobile expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Virgin Mobile USA is a subsidiary of Sprint and offers prepaid plans for smartphones and basic phones. The company operates in countries outside the United States under different ownership. It has been in business since 2002, and the U.S. headquarters are in Kansas City, Mo. They primarily offer unlimited plans, but custom pay-as-you-go plans may be available from select retail locations.

• Music streaming: Virgin Mobile customers with unlimited plans can stream music from one of the company’s partner apps, including Spotify, Pandora and others, without it counting against their high speed data usage.

• Data Packs: Customers who occasionally need extra data but don’t need a high-data plan every month can purchase Data Packs from their online Virgin Mobile account. Extra data is available for as little as $5 and is available for one month.

• Lost phone protection: If customers lose their phone, they can contact Virgin Mobile to have their service immediately suspended. Once they have a new phone, they can have the remaining service time and data transferred to their new phone.

• Additional features: Interested customers can add several features to their phone for an additional fee, including mobile hotspot connectivity, visual voicemail and text-to-landline service. They can also add CallWatch, which alerts customers to calls likely coming from telemarketers, bill collectors or scammers.

• International plans: Customers who regularly make calls to other countries can add international service to their plan for an additional monthly fee. Multiple international options are available to meet different customers’ needs.

• Best for: Virgin Mobile is best for parents and budget-conscious customers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Virgin Mobile Company Information

www.virginmobileusa.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use