Virgin Mobile

Virgin Mobile Reviews

Get matched with the right prepaid phone service

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Virgin Mobile Reviews

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I am a Virgin Home internet user for the last one year and my plan was about to finish. I called their loyalty department where I spoke to Mr. **. What an amazing customer agent. He helped me in extending my offer and plan for another year mainly in a matter of mins and also was very helpful and polite. I hope everyone finds people like Mr. ** when dealing with this company. Hire more people like him. Thanks for your help.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I went to Virgin a few years ago and got a plan for unlimited calls, text, and photos in Canada for $55.00 with one gig of data. I went to Buffalo one day early on and I called them to make sure I was only going to pay $5 or 6 per day for unlimited calls and texts in the US and Canada while there. The girl assured me that that was the deal. But before I hung up she asked if I would like another gig for free so I said sure. Now I had 2 gigs. A year later I received an email saying that I had a 3rd gig free for a year. That actually lasted about 1.5 years.

Recently I saw they were offering 4 gigs to get new customers so I called and asked if I could have the extra 2 gigs and they said no problem. I feel that their customer service is second to none. And they run on the Bell system so I get all the Bell quality and my bill is almost half what it was with Bell. I have also switched a couple of years ago to Virgin Cable, also running on the Bell equipment. Much better deal than I had with Cogeco, unlimited data 50 MBPS for $60/month and they said that my price would never increase.... EVER. I brought my own phone to Virgin and I have NO CONTRACT so I can quit the phone or cable any time I want. Oh and when I started the cable I got 3 free months.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: March 23, 2019

I was with Virgin for couple of years and had no problems until I deleted my plan to go to a cheaper plan with a different provider at that time. Virgin still charged me for couple of months after I cancelled my plan. I argued many times and sent them proof that I was with another provider at the time that they charged me for. They finally sent it to the collection agency, ruined my name for any further credit for a lousy $168.00. It's not the money, it's a moral thing now. How can I sue them? Not too concerned about the 168$. More concerned about ruining my name and want to sue for discriminating my name.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Mainly use landline. Keep Virgin mobile flip phone for "just in case". Left five year old flip phone in hotel in SF. Not worth returning to find it, have a backup flip phone, unused, unactivated, at home. Long story short, Abby, with Virgin Mobile, worked with me to keep obsolete flip phone. She even called me back when she found a comparable plan to the one I used to use that was no longer available. Thanks Abby.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Hi, I got a wonderful plan which is absolutely crazy and awesome. But my understanding about the billing cycle was entirely different from their agreement and I got charged full amount for using the connection less than a week. In fact I got my bill on the second day of my new connection which is not at all believable and highly unrealistic. I talked to the customer support and there is nothing they would do about it. First experience itself is so bad. Not that reliable service. Thanks. Thomas

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Virgin Mobile?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

Virgin Mobile has a 7 day return policy. I tried to return my phone while activating it. Virgin mobile has refused to accept the return and says I never finished my return transaction. That's because the Customer service rep refused to accept I was leaving Virgin Mobile. I am a 12 YEAR customer of Virgin Mobile. Their Customer service has gotten so bad lately that my blood pressure rises every time I call them. Customer service used to be wonderful. But now they spend too much time talking legal and too little time helping the customer. I have now left Virgin Mobile and gone to Verizon no contract plan. It costs more and is well worth the change.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

I have been using Virgin Mobile for quite some years now. I had an Apple 5s. I was very happy with till it started to glitch all the time and it had no more updates available, So I went to the Virgin Mobile site and saw a used 7 plus listed for a decent price. I transferred all info over to the 7 plus. Updated it to latest updates and began using it. No one can hear me well. Either I’m too quiet, garbled or down in a pit or something. I’ve tried it in the case and without case no matter!

Wrote to virgin mobile. They said an Apple store has to condemn the phone for anything to be done (passing the buck). I waited two hrs at the Apple store for them to tell me they blew out all the microphones and found nothing wrong. Of course they did not try talking to anyone on it! And the Apple genius told me the date the phone was originally bought and there is no warranty anymore! The phone doesn’t work right. Virgin mobile should stand behind their used phones! I give 0 stars if possible. Rodney in Connecticut.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I have been a Happy Virgin mobile customer for 8 years until recently. My number was ported to another carrier by scammers. I lost access to my number for 24 hrs. In the meantime, the scammers got hold of my accounts and access to my credit cards. I had to cancel all my cards and change all my passwords. I asked how this can possibly happen and what i can do to protect myself from happening again and they simply said change my number. THAT IS NO SOLUTION.

They have a pin number used for whenever we call but no security pin is needed to be ported to another carrier. They have no extra measures put into place to protect you like other carriers. Had they simply called the phone number and verified or asked for my 4 DIGIT pin number, they would have realized it was a hacker and none of this would have happened. In the meantime, no extra compensation was offered for all my problems. They told me instead to call the other carrier who did the porting and ask them to investigate. WHAT A GREAT RESPONSE!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Had an account with them for two years. They required a deposit from me of $200 which wasn't a problem. Said if I pay of my bill for 6 months I would get my money back. Well my contract has ended and I paid my account off in full. And they said they would send my money in two weeks. That never happened. I've been calling them since September and I still haven't received it. I called today November 13, 2019. And their response was that I'll see it in two to 3 weeks again. So I've been waiting for over 3 months to get my $200 back which I doubt they will send it. A big phone company that probably makes millions every year profit can't send a guy $200 is pretty sad. That's the thing that made me the most mad.

They also took a a double payment one month after I even called a representative and told him I had paid my bill in full. I asked him to make sure that they wouldn't take the payment again, he said they wouldn't but that was a complete lie. They took the double payment and left me stranded. I had a truck payment coming out that day as well and I missed it due to Virgin taking that payment as they promised they wouldn't. I had to pay extra money as well due the NSF fee that they charged.

I called virgin about it and they wouldn't do a single thing for me. Not even an apology witch is sad. They make tons of money but they still rip people off. That's for the billing errors now for their cell singles. I live in Alberta and used to travel 40 mins everyday and on the hwy I was on it would drop my calls every day. I would talk to my wife on the ride up hands free and every single day it would drop the call. I wouldn't ever give my money to them again. They don't look after their clients and try to rip them off. Just be careful if you chose this company and don't do automatic payments.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

2 minutes ago. Tired of them telling you things like if you add this other line your bill will be this because you will get this discount and this discount then the first bill you get you have to call and sit on the phone to get them implemented and they say, "I apologize for the inconvenience and the mix up. It won't happen again. Your bill will be this" then lo and behold the next bill same issue and have to call back and argue again. I find they make empty promises to get you to add more lines or extra services and then once you do you either don't see them or get them or have to argue on the phone for an hour each bill. I used to recommend this provider to everyone. Now I just want to say save the headaches and wasted time on the phone with them and go elsewhere. Our time is money also and enough with the false incentives.

Virgin Mobile expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Virgin Mobile USA is a subsidiary of Sprint and offers prepaid plans for smartphones and basic phones. The company operates in countries outside the United States under different ownership. It has been in business since 2002, and the U.S. headquarters are in Kansas City, Mo. They primarily offer unlimited plans, but custom pay-as-you-go plans may be available from select retail locations.

• Music streaming: Virgin Mobile customers with unlimited plans can stream music from one of the company’s partner apps, including Spotify, Pandora and others, without it counting against their high speed data usage.

• Data Packs: Customers who occasionally need extra data but don’t need a high-data plan every month can purchase Data Packs from their online Virgin Mobile account. Extra data is available for as little as $5 and is available for one month.

• Lost phone protection: If customers lose their phone, they can contact Virgin Mobile to have their service immediately suspended. Once they have a new phone, they can have the remaining service time and data transferred to their new phone.

• Additional features: Interested customers can add several features to their phone for an additional fee, including mobile hotspot connectivity, visual voicemail and text-to-landline service. They can also add CallWatch, which alerts customers to calls likely coming from telemarketers, bill collectors or scammers.

• International plans: Customers who regularly make calls to other countries can add international service to their plan for an additional monthly fee. Multiple international options are available to meet different customers’ needs.

• Best for: Virgin Mobile is best for parents and budget-conscious customers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs