Virgin Mobile Reviews

Virgin Mobile
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Virgin Mobile Reviews

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I am a Virgin Home internet user for the last one year and my plan was about to finish. I called their loyalty department where I spoke to Mr. **. What an amazing customer agent. He helped me in extending my offer and plan for another year mainly in a matter of mins and also was very helpful and polite. I hope everyone finds people like Mr. ** when dealing with this company. Hire more people like him. Thanks for your help.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I went to Virgin a few years ago and got a plan for unlimited calls, text, and photos in Canada for $55.00 with one gig of data. I went to Buffalo one day early on and I called them to make sure I was only going to pay $5 or 6 per day for unlimited calls and texts in the US and Canada while there. The girl assured me that that was the deal. But before I hung up she asked if I would like another gig for free so I said sure. Now I had 2 gigs. A year later I received an email saying that I had a 3rd gig free for a year. That actually lasted about 1.5 years.

Recently I saw they were offering 4 gigs to get new customers so I called and asked if I could have the extra 2 gigs and they said no problem. I feel that their customer service is second to none. And they run on the Bell system so I get all the Bell quality and my bill is almost half what it was with Bell. I have also switched a couple of years ago to Virgin Cable, also running on the Bell equipment. Much better deal than I had with Cogeco, unlimited data 50 MBPS for $60/month and they said that my price would never increase.... EVER. I brought my own phone to Virgin and I have NO CONTRACT so I can quit the phone or cable any time I want. Oh and when I started the cable I got 3 free months.

Get expert buying tips about Prepaid Phones delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I was with Virgin for couple of years and had no problems until I deleted my plan to go to a cheaper plan with a different provider at that time. Virgin still charged me for couple of months after I cancelled my plan. I argued many times and sent them proof that I was with another provider at the time that they charged me for. They finally sent it to the collection agency, ruined my name for any further credit for a lousy $168.00. It's not the money, it's a moral thing now. How can I sue them? Not too concerned about the 168$. More concerned about ruining my name and want to sue for discriminating my name.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I have been a Virgin Mobile Customer for almost six years. Last autumn, I had paid off my phone when I received an offer to upgrade. I chose to do so and received a phone directly from Virgin Mobile headquarters. Soon after the 15 day buyer's remorse ended, my cell phone began acting up. It would start randomly dialing numbers, while I was on the an important call, the phone muted people and it began to duplicate old text messages and resend them out, causing me great distress! After speaking with 5 Representatives on the phone and one in person at a Virgin Mobile Kiosk, I was told they could receive it back for fixing again (which is not an option because I was assured I was receiving a new phone in the first place) or they would take $240 off the upgrade for another, which still leaves me with $108 to pay, again not a fair option.

If I decided to cancel then I would be left with a whopping $400 bill for a phone that has never worked right in the first place! Virgin Mobile would rather lose a loyal customer of almost six years, who pays their phone bill, than agree to cover the additional $108 remaining on the upgrade. I was willing to continue with Virgin Mobile and get into another 2 year contract, but clearly I am not worthy of any further assistance!

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

On Jan 17, 2020 I made my second call to customer service. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with a rep. After this second call I decided to document the times, dates and details of the conversations. In addition to the calls, I have had to spend at least 2 hours looking into my billing in order to be prepared for the conversation that is so mind-blowing I cannot describe. I felt I had just nailed down information on one problem and then it all changes. I am sure anyone who has done this understands the complete incompetence of the customer service representative that are dealing with billing issues.

When I couldn't get a resolution from the rep (charges incurred could not be explained), I asked to speak to a manager. Was told that Eric ** would call me back as soon as he got off a call with another customer. It is Jan 23 and I have not spoken with Eric. In the 5 months I have had my new contract, my bill has already increased, not substantially but it is the fact that the increases happen without any consent. It is not the first time!! As mentioned, I am documenting all of this and plan to switch providers if I receive another bill without any resolution. This is not the first time I have battled with Virgin (Bell) about billing charges and I am tired of the sketchy ways they try to get more money out of me. I am prepared to go as far as I need to in order to make this stop. I am on the cusp of getting a family plan, and am not willing to stay with a company that doesn't deal with customer issues.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Virgin Mobile?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

My partner of 16 years, died October 10/19. I did not have access to any of his electronic information so called Virgin Mobile to make sure he would still have access to his phone before he died. He had days where he was alert enough to talk to people but most days he was not well enough to even handle a phone call. I wanted to make sure he stayed connected with everyone and called Virgin to make sure his bill was paid. They told me to check his email account which I did not have access to and in the last few months of his life he could not remember any of his passwords etc. So I asked them how to pay this bill so he he could continue to have access to his phone.

I sent them a cheque which they cashed but have now found out they also charged his credit card for the same billing period. I was not aware of how he paid his bill at the time. When he died, I terminated the number but found out they charged him another $175.55 in December. Virgin told me he owed nothing more on his account when I closed it. I have to keep his accounts open to make sure all outstanding debts are paid. When I file his final income tax return and make sure Revenue Canada has been paid, I will then be able to cancel all of his accounts. Why is Virgin trying to collect on a closed account of a deceased person?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I’m honestly shocked that Virgin has won awards for their customer service when their actual customer service skills are non-existent. A simple internet upgrade has turned into almost three hours on the phone with five different representatives (cold transferred each time) and a no-show installation technician. I booked an appointment for 01/08/2020 to upgrade my internet speed. A technician came out but wasn’t able to complete the upgrade due to an issue with the wiring outside. Another technician came the following day and fixed the wiring. A third technician was supposed to arrive today between 12-5 to complete the upgrade, but didn’t show up. Please note that we haven’t had internet connection since the initial appointment on the 8th.

We called Virgin to see what happened, spoke with a representative that put us on hold for 20 mins to "look into it", and then suddenly the hold music stopped and it was a totally different agent on the line saying "Thanks for calling Virgin, how can I help?" So, we re-explained everything to him and he said the technician wasn’t able to make it, but they’d send somebody out in the morning (Sunday) between 8-12. They transferred me to the Loyalty department so I could be credited for the days without internet.

I talked to the Loyalty representative, and she ended up transferring me to Tech Support before issuing the credit. I talked to Tech Support, and they said that the appointment that the previous agent booked for 8-12 on Sunday, was actually booked for 8-12 TODAY (Saturday), which was already several hours in the past. The Tech Support agent re-booked the appointment for tomorrow (Sunday) between 12-5. He was supposed to transfer us back to Loyalty to talk about the bill credit but ended up hanging up on us.

While I was on the phone, I got a voicemail from the technician. I checked the voicemail after my call with Virgin, and the technician said I was rebooked for the Monday the 13th. I called Virgin back and asked to talk to a supervisor because I was sick of dealing with so many different people that didn't know what they were doing. The representative was reluctant to transfer me and was trying to stall and resolve my issue himself. He said that he confirmed with their Central Office that the earliest somebody could come out would be Monday the 13th, and said there was no record of the appointment the previous agent booked for Sunday from 12-5.

I asked to talk to a supervisor again, and he said that none were available, and even if they were, they wouldn't be able to make someone come out sooner. I asked about the bill credit, and he said it would automatically detect that there was no usage and adjust my bill accordingly. This is hard to believe since the Loyalty representative was supposed to apply the credit. All in all, nobody knows what they're doing and I'm waiting for a call back from the supervisor. I haven't had internet since the 8th and apparently won't have internet again till the 13th.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

I signed up for Virgin Mobile and home internet and in one month I had so many different problems that I needed to call them around 25 times to ask them to solve the issues and they only solved half of the problems after wasting so much of my time. First, I needed to wait two weeks for Virgin to install router because the person who installs router would call me at 1 pm and say "I am here to install the internet" while I had scheduled time from 4-8 so I needed to call them and reschedule everything. Another story, Virgin charged me wrong fees. These two stories are only the tip of the iceberg I would tell more about it but I am afraid there isn't enough space on the page to cover my experience with Virgin.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

They kept over charging and not blocking or warning me of data limit. Rectified their mistakes, charged a bit extra and did it again saying from last bill which was paid off. So before I even got a week into January I was scammed and robbed again. Had it reduced due to it being their mistakes, yes I already know that, they also confirmed it. Then confirmed with them though I know I've been scammed I pay this final bill then leave today. Yes okay. Did Be they send an email trying to overcharge again. I responded to state all this and now I blocked them. I won't be scammed or robbed. This company is a scammer and a joke. They will mess with your account. You won't use much but they'll try to rob you anyway. Sue them.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

Bunch of thieves. Upgraded my phone and added on a Nintendo Switch for my Nephew for Christmas. Got it out of the box, checked it and screen was ok and switched on. Thought it was ok. Came to Christmas and the charger port is broken. Called Virgin Mobile. Only 14 days return and Nintendo will deal with it after 30 days but will cost me £157 to repair. They are not interested in dealing with the complaint and basically told me it wasn't their problem. If I could afford to buy out my contract would. Will never do another contract with them and just switched my home provider as well. Well done Mr Branson on sitting on your private island while providing the worst service ever.

Not sure about Virgin Mobile?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right Prepaid Phones for you.

Virgin Mobile expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Virgin Mobile USA is a subsidiary of Sprint and offers prepaid plans for smartphones and basic phones. The company operates in countries outside the United States under different ownership. It has been in business since 2002, and the U.S. headquarters are in Kansas City, Mo. They primarily offer unlimited plans, but custom pay-as-you-go plans may be available from select retail locations.

• Music streaming: Virgin Mobile customers with unlimited plans can stream music from one of the company’s partner apps, including Spotify, Pandora and others, without it counting against their high speed data usage.

• Data Packs: Customers who occasionally need extra data but don’t need a high-data plan every month can purchase Data Packs from their online Virgin Mobile account. Extra data is available for as little as $5 and is available for one month.

• Lost phone protection: If customers lose their phone, they can contact Virgin Mobile to have their service immediately suspended. Once they have a new phone, they can have the remaining service time and data transferred to their new phone.

• Additional features: Interested customers can add several features to their phone for an additional fee, including mobile hotspot connectivity, visual voicemail and text-to-landline service. They can also add CallWatch, which alerts customers to calls likely coming from telemarketers, bill collectors or scammers.

• International plans: Customers who regularly make calls to other countries can add international service to their plan for an additional monthly fee. Multiple international options are available to meet different customers’ needs.

• Best for: Virgin Mobile is best for parents and budget-conscious customers.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team