2.23/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

428 B&H Photo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I ordered a tripod which arrived a week late -- a week after the head and some accessories. (First bad) A day before it arrived, I was told the order was recalled and another tripod dispatched, but in fact even after I called to say I got the first one and to tell FedEx not to deliver the second one, it was delivered anyway, so now I have to take to a Fedex office. (Second bad). The rep failed to explain a key point in matching the head to the tripod, resulting in my believing for a long time I got the wrong one. The rep, Patrick **, was not available when I called many times, which made things worse. (Third bad) When I finally got him, he solved the problem in five minutes. Bizarrely, I was not charged for the head, which arrived on time. I thought it would have been more appropriate not to charge for the tripod. Generally, I found B&H disorganized and inefficient.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Yeah, it said out of stock, but it would be shipped in 5-7 days. Now, after multiple emails, it MIGHT be shipped by the 21st, thus unlikely to be here by Christmas. But, when I looked online last week, they said it would be in stock and shipped the very next day. When I asked why my email said they were expecting a shipment on the 21st, and their website said next day, they played dumb. This company has some very shady business practices. In order to increase sales, they post expectations for ordered they can’t fulfill. If you have a high demand product, look elsewhere for it. Otherwise you are going to wait a very long time before your order is fulfilled.

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I would like to begin by saying that customer service at B&H has been 5 stars. But, I have been waiting a week for an overnight guaranteed delivery. I keep being told it's coming and to take the day off of work. I have now lost three days of work, and they have lost the camera once. The second camera sat on tarmac for two days and was then flown past my house to the middle of the country. I was told I "will get an update on Monday, but it may be delivered then, so I should take that day off of work too. But it might be Tuesday. We really don't know what is going on." Three days of my life and wages that I will never get back. Christmas hangs in the balance, and the anxiety of not knowing if I am going to have anything for my son is truly zapping my Christmas spirit.

I wouldn't know if B&H products are good, but the star rating is for insisting on using FedEx. I have read through the reviews on here, and this is a consistent problem. If we can't get our orders, we can't leave you a favorable review. And if we lose an entire week's pay waiting for a $1200 camera that never shows up, it's really difficult to have a favorable opinion of your business. That camera has been kicked and thrown around by FedEx for days now. I can't even trust the condition now.

As I said, customer service was really friendly. But resending through FedEx after they "lost" this camera once, was a bad decision. Especially since they told B&H (when requesting for me to pick up instead of delivery) that they have security issues at their distribution center, and can't trust their employees to not steal. Ship with a different logistics company. I have never had a problem with UPS.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I purchased from them a Philips digital audio recorder in August of this year. When it developed a problem with the LCD screen, I contacted the manufacturer. They confirmed it was defective and still under the one-year warranty, and instructed me to contact my retailer (B&H) for warranty replacement. I contacted B&H customer service and explained the situation, but they made no attempt at helping me, simply repeating over and over that their return policy is 30 days, and since I bought it more than 30 days ago, they would do nothing. Even though it is still under warranty, Further attempts to contact the manufacturer are also going unanswered. All I want is a recorder that works properly or my money refunded. At this point I would recommend not spending a single cent with B&H, and you probably ought not to buy any Philips products either, since they don't seem to be interested in honoring their warranty either.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

This is a factually correct review. Don't do business with them. If there is any problem with your order it will not be solved for you. I ordered $1600 worth of video and audio product from B&H. Only 1/3 of the product arrived. They said there was a warehouse issue. They said they would overnight the rest of the product, never did. After calling again I got the same response, "we will overnight the rest of your order." Only one microphone showed up four days later. I have workers at my house that FedEx claims there was a signature from them. Why would you get a signature from a worker at my house?

This is now two weeks after the order should have arrived. B&H offered to file a claim on the missing microphone (why would two identical microphones be shipped separately?) two cameras, and supplies; the claim would take another week to file and another week after to ship out the product. I am out nearly $500 until that claim goes through... I am returning everything to which I will have to pay for a large box to ship back the items they actually sent. The customer service protocol put their profit line way before the customer. Amazon, Sweetwater, etc. do not operate this way.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about B&H Photo-Video?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I bought (amongst others) a well-known brand for a carry-on photography backpack. Its price (after special discount) was very attractive and I took advantage of that opportunity. Living outside of the US, generally, I prefer to buy this kind of items, personally, at B&H facilities in NYC but, this time, I ordered it while I was traveling in New Mexico. The shipment arrived there on time, as promised and I also was confident that, if needed, I could return it/exchange for other backpack I was considering as an alternative.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Let the buyer beware! BH Photo sold me a Galaxy S7 phone in Dec. 2015. as an international phone. I paid over $700.00 for the phone. BH Photo never appraised me that the phone could not be serviced in any way in the United States because it is too different, especially the battery. I found that out myself when I tried to have the battery replaced before it needed to be around Thanksgiving, 2018. Some International Phones can be repaired in the U.S. but not this one, according to Samsung.

Samsung, which may also be at fault for lack of standardization, told me to get the wholesale purchase number from BH Photo to see where I might be able to send the phone in Vietnam, where it was made. BH Photo said that they no longer sell the phone and don't have the number. BH Photo said they warrantied this item for one year, but no longer have batteries or parts. The Tech Rep I spoke to there said, "What do expect, they stopped production of the Samsung S7 last year?", as if that absolves BH Photo. There is currently nothing wrong with the phone, but apparently I will unable to replace the battery or fix anything else that goes wrong with the phone. DO NOT buy a phone at BH Photo!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Do not use this company. They will ship you broken merchandise and refuse to replace or repair. B&H shipped me a 65" TV with a shattered screen. They have declined to replace due to physical damage (duh). There are better retailers everywhere with similar pricing that wont attempt to steal your money. STAY AWAY FROM B&H PHOTO!

Resolution response: Dec. 12, 2018

Update: I have not yet received the camera, but B&H has been really trying to resolve the issue. They have been incredibly nice and apologetic, which is rare in a business these days. It's not that much money for them, but they have been showing a lot of interest in making me happy....despite me not being very pleasant. I do really appreciate the customer service. I will update again if/when I actually receive the camera. B&H: thanks for actually caring about your customers

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

They charged me $1500 for a camera and never sent it. I received a package with a $10 battery. And a receipt for the whole order. I called and waited for 30 mins for someone to tell me it would arrive later on a different truck. I continued to wait all day (signature required) despite FedEx saying it never shipped. Took another day off of work. I call B&H again because they told me they couldn't do anything unless it didn't show yesterday. Now they say FedEx lost the package. They will send another. I can't take a third day off of work for this nonsense. FedEx says they never received it. B&H insists they did. I'm out two days' pay, and still don't have my son's Christmas present. I have all the accessories I ordered from other sellers, but no body or lens. And I lost a pretty big paycheck this week that I can't get back.

It's been a rough year. And I was really looking forward to giving this gift. I know it's not about material gifts. But giving my soon-to-be adult son such an expensive camera, shows that I believe in him. It was an investment in him, and a financial sacrifice for me, especially this year. But he is starting an internship in February, so it was important. Save yourself the headache and just buy it from Amazon or Best Buy. I tried to do the right thing by not supporting the monopoly, and I got burned. Same price elsewhere, with reliable arrival. I really wanted it to work out with them. They had such good reviews. This was to be my son’s first camera. We were just getting started with the D7200.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

The headphones were very well priced, far below the usual. They are designed for use during activities and are held on the outside of the ear canal by a band that goes around the back of your head. They stay in place and are comfortable. The sound is good and for safety they do not block all the sounds around you, although I would not recommend any earphones for biking outside. The order was promptly shipped and arrived quickly.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

This has been a nightmare. They promised online on practically every product expedited shipping. However my package left on Wednesday December 5th 2018 at 10:30 am with the shipping guarantee expedited (2 day). But yet it is not been delivered when checked Friday 12/7/18 morning online for updated status and the delivery date had been changed to 12/10/18 Monday therefore making it 6 days from 12/4/18 Tuesday when first ordered. When contacting support at B&H Photo customer service 800 number I was told over and over and over that it was shipped on 12/5/18 Wednesday which I already knew from checking the tracking information online myself. And upon telling the service representative I already knew that and was wanting to know why it wasn't being delivered within 2 days shipping guarantee he said that he couldn't do anything about it. So I spoke to a supervisor who mirrored the 1st support tech and refused to do anything.

So upon calling the shipping company (FedEx) soon as I got no assistance or help from B&H Photo they explained it was NEVER BEEN SHIPPED THE ADVERTISED SERVICE BUT IT WAS SHIPPED GROUND (cheaper 5-7 day delivery - NOT EXPEDITED as B&H Photo said or as advertised on the website. And I worked it out with FedEx over the phone to be delivered 12/8/18 Saturday in the evening. That was with NO HELP FROM B&H PHOTO. And upon receiving the package on Saturday 12/8/18 - it was shipped from B&H PHOTO GROUND (5-7 days) the way B&H Photo customer service said it was not and certainly not the expedited advertised on their website.

So the only mistake was from B&H PHOTO by shipping it a slower and cheaper service. Then they lied about it to me when calling for help which again they would not help do anything even though I needed before Saturday which didn't happen. So if you want to order from B&H PHOTO prepare to wait however long it takes for slowest cheaper delivery takes to get to your house. And don't bother calling customer service because they will not help you and in fact lie to you about whatever it is you're calling about. Most importantly if you want something they sell - some other company sells it as well and you probably won't be lied to and will have it when promised. BOTTOM LINE DO NOT ORDER FROM B&H PHOTO. DO NOT!!! DO NOT!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

601/5000 - I made the purchase of a video card, after several processes of verification of the authenticity of the credit card by the store. I ended up having to pay twice for the product, both by credit card and bank transfer. Now I want them to refund the credit card or bank transfer. But they are just curling up, they say they already did it on the credit card... Claim... Days later they say that they made by transfer the refund and so far nothing... I do not want to pay twice for the same product, I just want my money back and the store does not solve the problem.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I love B&H due on their good website template, best customer services and good promotion for what I am looking for. If you travel a lot and especially in U.S, should pass by B&H in New York, I got most of the items bought online.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

My experience with this company was poor from the start though I didn't know it until the product arrived... the wrong product and restocking fees and poor customer service. 1. When ordering the interface to PayPal kept failing causing me to start the process over and over. Four times it took and in the end the wrong product was ordered. 2. The information in the confirmations sent to me never gave a complete description of the computer configuration so I didn't know it until the product arrived at my daughter's house and she opened it that it wasn't an i7. The label on the outside of the box did not say it was an i5. 3. When I called B&H support they said I should have received an invoice showing me the configuration when I ordered; I never got one. All emails showed the product number but no confirmation of the computer's configuration.

4. When I escalated to "Benji" B&H claimed it was my fault since I could have typed the product number into their site. My response is why not show the actual config in my order information where I can correct the problem immediately. I cannot trust their product numbering system. 5. And they want a restocking fee since the computer was opened. 6. I asked for the fee to be waived so I could return it and get the product I thought I ordered. Benji told me my logic was faulty. It's not faulty to get some sort of confirmation of the computer configuration that you ordered to be sure you're getting the correct item. He said if I click on the part number it would take me to a description... he knows his website. Well the part number is greyed out. You can't click through. Then he said, "Well everyone knows you can cut and paste the number to see the configuration." Not true and RUDE.

7. He wouldn't give me the name and contact of his supervisor. 8. IT'S A SCAM ---TO GIVE YOU A PRODUCT YOU MAY NOT HAVE ORDERED. Not providing enough details to identify the computer configuration. LEAVING THE CONSUMER TO FIDDLE WITH THEIR WEBSITE. 9. The label on the outside does not state that it is an i5 processor and I took pictures to send to them. It's unlikely to help. At this point in time the computer I wanted to buy my daughter, an I7, is about $1000 more with the additional costs for shipping and restocking than it was a week ago when I ordered the gift. I'll never use this vendor ever again and I recommend you don't either.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Re: preorders, if you need or want your product or merchandise within a reasonable amount of time, DO NOT PREORDER with B&H. I placed my pre order of the MacBook air on 11/23/18...after written inquiry, several calls, several estimated restock dates. On 12/4/2018 I was told it would be up to 10 more days, MAYBE. The customer service rep. was very quiet and unconcerned which resulted in cancellation of my order which he was able to do without question or attempt to resolve before the call ended. I received an email that the order was cancelled, just an FYI...IT’S NOT WORTH IT.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

They advertise many good deals. But they are incapable of delivering on them. They make promises on prompt shipping, and then they blame, "high volume", "warehouse problems". They charge the credit card but do not ship for days, and when you cancel, they need 5 business days to refund - sounds like kiting. They used to be a good vendor a while back. Their unfair competitive advantage of not collecting tax for out of state sales is disappearing due to court rulings. The warehouse workers have reported labor disputes and lawsuits. I wonder if they can survive the competition of better online suppliers such as Amazon. I for one, will avoid them form this point forward.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I am a long time customer of B&H. I love their selection, prices, customer service and fast shipping. Add to that the ease of which you can navigate their website and you have a winner. Almost forgot, for me in California no sales tax!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Helpful with product recommendations on chat line, website makes good additional recommendations, got a great deal and a refund when the deal got even better a few days later, everything came quickly and was packed securely, as always B&H customer service is the best.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I began researching which camera to buy. I wanted to buy new from an authorized dealer and B&H had the best price, including some extras that were bundled. Camera arrived quickly and packed well. The bonus items included were an SD card and nice case. Good experience.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I’ve purchased many things from B&H over the years and most items over $49 qualify for “expedited” shipping. I live in Los Angeles and according to the expedited shipping map on their site if I purchase an item with expedited shipping the shipping time will be 3 business days. Every item I’ve purchased that has qualified for expedited shipping has taken 4 business days in transit minimum. Furthermore no matter what carrier they use shipping is indicated as standard shipping from the carrier. This is false advertising as they enter a contract when they state that I will receive a higher tier of shipping if I purchased the qualifying item.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Recently made a purchase with B&H. Asked for 2 day shipping. It’s been 10 days still don’t have it. Now FedEx messed up but B&H has no customer service whatsoever. I called so many times. It really sucks.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I have spent thousands of dollars on camera gear at B&H Photo but you wouldn't know it the way they treat me. B&H employees know they are the superior dealers so they don't fight for your business and therefore there is no such thing as customer loyalty to them. I have been ripped off on their shipping fees and had several emails ignored. The customer service guys are half-wit hipsters who'll give you a smart answer even when you're asking reasonable questions. Super snobs and not willing to help. Just putting in their 9-5. They lost a $15 000 purchase from me to Henry's in Toronto because of this kind of stuff. I try really hard not to give them my business. If I knew of legitimate options out there for pro camera equipment, B&H would be completely off my radar. Coming from a family of business, I can tell you, I know how to look after a customer and how to keep them coming back. B&H needs to start looking after their LOYAL CUSTOMERS!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I am a long-time B&H customer who bought Adobe Lightroom 6 (DVD) based on expert advice from B&H that it would process RAW from a Nikon d7500. It does not. Since the box had to be unsealed, in order to try it, they will not take it back and I am simply out the money. They do not stand behind their own "expertise".

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I made an order for a camera on Thursday. Chose 1 day shipping after calling the next day to confirm that you get my order. By Saturday they told me, "No. It will arrive Monday!!!" Best Buy would have guaranteed a Saturday delivery. Very disappointing. Not impressed for first time order.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I've made three purchases over a 3 year period before I learned my lesson. The purchases are one for Sony Cybershot camera, one for a video recorder, and recently for a waterproof sports camera. The Sony Cybershot had a lot of technical problems and would not transfer shots to my Mac computer but once past the warranty there is nothing anyone can do. The video recorder stopped working after 7 months but once past the warranty there is nothing anyone can do, and now recently the waterproof sports camera didn't work right out of the box. I tried to take it back and they were always closed but later found out the very odd closed for business days were for I believe Orthodox Jewish holidays.

I tried again to return the camera where they said it was several weeks past the 30 day return policy and after adding up all the days they were closed, I was 5 days past the return policy. Know that they observe the 30 days to the letter and I was abruptly turned away with a, "Too bad. Contact the manufacturer." I contacted the manufacturer who said contact B&H because they can't issue a refund since they didn't sell me the camera. Buyer beware. I will not make any more purchases from B&H. I understand sales and return clerks may not like their jobs, but they are too curt and icy for my hard earned $$$.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Working with one of their people for a home security system. Rep suggested cameras, NVR, and switch to make system work together. Put up initial system with 4 cameras, all worked well. Ordered the remaining 3 cameras, installed and tried to add to system. System responds that I am missing licenses. Now I'm stuck spending hundreds more that I was not told I would have to. Had the rep told me that I would have asked about other options. I found another NVR that would have worked for less money total. As the other NVR had the PoE switch build in. What kind of customer service is this?

I already spent over $1100 now to find out that it'll cost hundreds more. So their so called experts either only care about making money for B&H, they don't know their products or don't care about customer service. Sent an email from their website to what I thought was customer service. The reply said, "Sorry for the miscommunication." Failing to tell the customer pertinent information about the products is now a miscommunication. Tried again to customer service and no reply. As of now I will not buy from B&H again.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Hi, Please don't do any sort of business with B&H. They are by far worst in customer service and can never understand customer. I got a broken TV and I asked refund as I have no time for exchange as I am leaving country, they are not even listening to customer. They just say harsh words. I wish I could upload pics of product.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I have purchased multiple cameras, lenses, and other camera equipment from B&H Photo over the past 15 years. They have a huge inventory and selection, decent customer service and support, and reliable follow through on every purchase. I've never had a major issue and I'll continue to trust them with expensive retail purchases.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

I bought two SSD's online at B&H, both 1 TB capacity, B&H sent me one 1 TB and one 512 GB. I upgrade computers and I promised the client I would have his machine ready in 5 days. Due to B&H error I have lost my client because I had to send the disk back to B&H and wait for them to receive it before they send me the correct one. My client needed his computer for the day I promised it and because of this delay caused by B&H I could not deliver on time. No compensation of any kind for this error they made, really a bad experience for me, I lost a client for the error they made and of course they don't care.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Ordered a mobile phone from B&H 22 months ago - the Nexus 5X. The phone became inoperable the other day due to a very common problem called a "bootloop." I saw that the manufacturer (LG) had extended their warranty from 12 months to 30 months for that specific problem at no charge. However, I came to find that the model phone I purchased from B&H was an international version and LG would not honor warranties.

On their sales page they do state that it is an international version (if you scroll down and read everything), but they also don't explicitly state that it isn't covered by LG's warranty. It just says there is a 12 month B&H warranty. I find that highly misleading, especially considering I wanted to purchase a common US phone in good faith assuming it was like the phone everyone else was purchasing.

So to sum up, B&H did not state that LG's warranty would be invalid on this phone, so I am now in a position to have to completely buy a new phone. B&H also was not willing to match LG's warranty extension for a problem that is extremely widespread on this Nexus 5X model. To me, that's the opposite of customer service, and they will no longer receive my business.

B&H Photo Company Information