2.22/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

448 B&H Photo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

After a long research I have place an order of an entire telescope setup from B&H photo to the sum of 4800$. The package was supposed to be sent in 3-4 days. It took them over a MONTH to send it. I had to send them emails asking what's going on, call them every couple of days and each time I got the same response, "we are working on it and will ask for an update from our warehouse." They sent the package with DHL Express. dealing with DHL was a whole other terrible experience but that's not the issue here.

B&H split the shipment into 5 boxes in 2 separate shipments which I specifically asked not to do. it took 2 for the first shipment to arrive and 3 more days for the second one. when I opened the boxes I was so disappointed that I have spent so much money and waited for so long only to find out that the mount I ordered (2 part kit) was not correct. They sent me 2 pieces of the same item (!) and not 2 pieces of the kit. Instead of a mount head and a tripod, I got 2 mount heads.

I immediately called their terrible customer service again to report the problem and ask for a quick solution. I was asked to send pictures of the boxes and after I did I was told they will get back to me later that day. 3 weeks have gone without even a small update on the situation and today I got an RMA. Now they want me to pay for the return of the item they sent me by mistake and are not willing to send the tripod until I do so. Oh and of course they want me to pay for the delivery of the correct item!

By now 2 months have gone by and I still cannot use any of the equipment I paid for! The entire process was terrible, the customer service representatives are completely not cooperative and unwilling to help and show even the tiniest sympathy for a customer. I will never buy from them again and I strongly recommend you do the same. I regret not researching about B&H before and only about the equipment itself.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I purchased a Leupold binocular from them assuming that the quality would be amazing considering the price I purchased it for. Customer rep. also convinced me to go with this brand. However, after receiving and trying it for a couple of days, couldn't believe a product worth $300 would be such a bad product. Also, the surprising factor was the genuine consideration to go with the brand as suggested by their customer rep. It was a very bad mistake and I regret it. Here, comes the worst part. If I didn't like the product, I had to pay the return fee. I felt I was trapped the way they have mislead a lot of customers. *This is the Worst class Experience from a best in class store in NY.*

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I have been a longtime customer with B&H because of their service. On February 9, 2019 I received a used lens with a defective lens hood. Chatting with customer service, I asked if this was consistent with their 8+ rating criteria. They immediately offered to send a replacement hood. Great, I thought. Done. A few minutes later they contacted me to say that they didn't have one in stock. They then offered to either take the whole kit back for a full refund OR they would purchase the hood from a third-party of my choice. Wow.

I looked online but could not find the OEM hood and I didn't like the third-party options. Then I got another idea. I don't typically use lens hoods. I protect my lenses with filters. So I found a high quality B + W UV filter on B&H's website and asked if they were willing to send it instead of a hood. They didn't hesitate. It's on its way right now. That's how you do customer service!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

This dispute has gone on forever and B&H has refused to refund my money on a Samsung Galaxy S9+ phone which cost me $699.00 which is no small change. I have all the proof of return as well as a documented call in which they agreed the phone was the wrong phone for the USA and that they'd accept the return and refund my money. That has not happened and it's 4 months after the return. I'm quite shocked being a commercial advertising photographer who has bought from them before and find this extremely dishonest, despicable and totally bad business. Thus, I'm warning all who chose to purchase from B&H Photo to beware as they've totally gone in a bad direction and like me, you could get burned.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

After purchasing from B&H for the past 20 years I will no longer be a customer. B&H clearly doesn't care about the customer anymore. I ordered a 65" TV (Sony 65x900f) and unfortunately had to cancel immediately due to them playing games with the price. I was quoted a price on the phone and was charged more. After getting the confirmation email I called to correct the discrepancy and despite spending an hour speaking to customer service and sales, the mistake wasn't corrected. You shouldn't give a price then bill more, this is unethical and clearly B&H doesn't care about the customer. Shame, because they use to be a reputable company... Ten minutes later I ordered the same TV with another company for much less money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about B&H Photo-Video?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Lied about estimated shipping times, website slow and difficult to navigate. There is currently 10 processing charges in my bank account. Order was difficult to cancel, will never use again and neither should you.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

First time buying from this company, and I had high hopes of good service since they're a well-known store. I should've read more about them. Apparently, they're good at everything else, except shipping their product on time. I found a fairly cheap telephoto lens from their app storefront, and ordered it with priority overnight shipping (next day morning) at 10-11am the day before, which is $60 extra. The next day, no package. Checked FedEx tracking, it's estimated to arrive the following day. So, I pretty much burned money for no reason. Amazon had better shipping service, even eBay private sellers do it better! Sure, it's my first time buying from B&H, and it will be the last as this first experience was bad. No one from their immaculate "customer service" tried to even contact me about this blatant mistake on their end.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Have been dealing with B&H for over 30 years. Great service! Always prompt, and great inventory of products, even for a traditional Black and White film buff like me. Film, paper, framing, matting, and mounting supplies, etc. are always available through B&H. They deliver promptly and are always helpful with questions I might have.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Well, so I'm not calling about a $3000-product... The agent with whom I spoke went beyond not giving a ** to being downright scoffing. His voice announced by its timbre and modulation that I was somehow interrupting his lunch break or whatever, simply by having the guts to intrude with a product inquiry. Now, upon consideration of the two occurrences of same disgraceful arrogance, no longer will I do business with B&H, having in the past spent rather a large sum ordering from them!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I have been using a Nikon D7000 and wanted to try the mirrorless full frame camera. The Sony A7II is amazing even with the kit lens. It captures color so accurately and feels great in the hand. Much easier to deal with than the Nikon, which was a very nice camera. I have not tried the adapters to use my Nikon lenses yet, but plan to down the road. Of course, they will have a crop factor, so I may just sell the old lenses and buy either new or refurbished ones after I have had time to learn the ins and outs of the Sony. B&H does an amazing job of being well stocked and quickly delivering orders. I use them for most electronic items and have been totally satisfied with their prices and their customer service.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I've been a long-time B&H customer. Over the holidays, I ordered two Apple computers, in a total of 4 orders. One order has yet to ship, and one of the computers was so poorly & hurriedly packaged, I was surprised it arrived intact. B&H disregarded my shipping requests altogether causing further inconvenience and delay during a busy season. The chat representative was arrogant and my subsequent inquiries to customer service were shuffled around, with no one taking a second look or even knowing what the issues were. No apparent ability to track problems from start to finish through their system and not enough interest on behalf of their customer. I am left with the conclusion the company simply does not care. Cannot recommend and will not shop here again.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

B&H is my go-to for cameras and electronics, they have a huge selection, outstanding customer service, competitive prices, fast, free shipping, absolutely nothing not to like! Website navigation is easy, lots of useful reviews by B&H's highly knowledgeable clientele. Good recommendations for accessories for each item.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

First off, I never had a problem ordering from B&H in the past but there's always a first time. I needed an item quickly and B&H offered the item I needed with "Free Next Day Delivery" so I placed my order with them. I was shocked when the item was shipped via FedEx with an estimated delivery date 6 days out. I thought that maybe the shipper made the error, that is until I contacted B&H customer service. I requested a return since the day had passed when I needed the item and now I no longer needed it because I had to purchase a similar item locally. They granted a return but a shipping fee of $10.55 would be charged to me.

I again contacted them, explained that I was not responsible for paying for their error since their offer included the free next day delivery to which they responded that the offer included "Expedited" shipping which they fulfilled. My response to them also included a screenshot of the ad showing the "Free Next Day Delivery" promise which they must not have noticed. I responded, once again, my blood boiling, emphasizing the Free Next Day Delivery screenshot which I once again attached to the email. They must have realized that they were caught in their lie and finally sent a prepaid shipping label. I was so irate with the way I was treated and the lying tactics that they used that I told them that at that point I would just keep the item and relieve my frustrations by writing reviews on their unethical behavior. B&H, never again.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I wish I had read reviews before purchasing. This company is unethical. It has a deceptive return policy. I bought an Apple laptop computer on a Black Friday sale, and did so based on online information. I was not able to get into an actual Apple store. I carefully read the B&H policy which states that they honor a full refund for returns, unless the manufacturer’s shipping box was opened. When I received my Apple laptop, I opened the shipping carton. I wanted to see how heavy the product was as I needed a small lightweight computer. The computer itself was inside another shipping box, which was definitely NOT from the manufacturer. It clearly was not in a manufacturer's box. In fact, based on the return address label. It appeared to be from a different distributor... Nowhere on the box did it say Apple or have a logo of any kind or any indication as to what was inside that inner carton.

Consequently, I opened that carton and inside was the Apple product box with the computer insides. I did NOT open that box because I was cognizant of the return policy. At that time, I went to an Apple store and realized that computer did not suit my needs. When I called B&H, they claimed that since I had opened the inner box, the refund policy did not apply. They were polite, but uncooperative, even though I explained that I had not violated their rules of return. Even though the box that I opened clearly was not the manufacturer's box. And even though I intended to exchange the product for the one I actually needed, which actually was quite a bit more expensive than my original purchase. So they deducted 15% from my return item, which was several hundred dollars. I am furious and I intend to report them to anyone that I can.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I did not see this, twice I made an order. Once there was a defect in a laptop, and the second time another Macbook was sent. And all at my own expense. I paid FedEx for a refund. I see no reason to do other expensive orders.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Easy to order. Super fast delivery. Website is very thoughtfully designed. Easy to navigate. I found the product I was looking for in minutes. The product explanations and pictures were true the actual product.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I found this site on Cyber Monday and after shopping around thought the deal on a new iPad was good. It took a long time to come although first I got my "free" screen cleaning cloth under a separate delivery - kind of silly since I had to wait for the screen. The iPad was boxed like new but the screen had all these little dots where it was like the pixels were missing, lots of them and it was tolerable and then intolerable depending on the image on the screen. For $799 I was definitely in for something perfect.

Getting the RMA was easy. I sent back the defective iPad and was told 3-5 days to process the return and ship. OK. The following week I had not heard anything so I wrote them and was told it got there on 12/17 and would process and ship 3-5 days. Never heard a word, on the sixth day I asked and was told they were behind but then it would be another 3-5 days until it actually shipped.

Today 12/24 I got a confirmation of the ORDER and it says it will ship in 7-14 days. We will see if it shows up before I dispute the charge on my card. All communication has been initiated by me thus far other than today's ridiculous confirmation that staves me off for up to another TWO WEEKS. Thanks, B&H. Kinda hard to trust you when you are holding a bundle of my cash and I have nothing to show for it. Started this at the beginning of the month. This is why everyone freaking goes to Amazon. Lesson learned, trying to support an independent business.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

As always, doing business with B&H Photo is super simple, straightforward and hassle-free. Find what you want on their website, place an order and within a few days you'll have your product. I've ordered a number of items from B&H, including an entire camera system with lenses. Got a great deal on the bundle and it was delivered in days. The deal was so good that opted to buy from B&H instead of my own well known, local photography shop. B&H always has the best deals and you typically get free shipping and no taxes since it's an out of state purchase (for most). Yeah, I'm a B&H fan for life.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I ordered 2 NEW HTC Vive controllers. One of the controllers sent to me was obviously used. I am not sure how they can make you pay for an unopened new item, and ship you an open box return that is in less the brand new condition!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I ordered a TV on Cyber Monday. Item was backordered, but was given a date of Dec 1 that the item would be restocked and shipped out to me. On Dec 3, I emailed to confirm my item was either shipped or shipping soon. I was then told that they didn’t know when my TV would be back in stock. I waited a week and wrote again asking when might this TV be back in stock and again was given the “We don’t know” response.

That same day, I was given another date of Dec. 18 that it would be in stock and ready to ship and arrive in time for Christmas. I checked in with them and yet again was given the “We don’t know” response. I was able to check stock with other online retailers and local retailers where I learned they had this TV in stock. I cancelled my order and picked up the TV from Target. Will never ever buy another thing from this company. Their customer service is seriously lacking. “We don’t know” is not an acceptable response from a business who has already taken your money.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I ordered a tripod which arrived a week late -- a week after the head and some accessories. (First bad) A day before it arrived, I was told the order was recalled and another tripod dispatched, but in fact even after I called to say I got the first one and to tell FedEx not to deliver the second one, it was delivered anyway, so now I have to take to a Fedex office. (Second bad). The rep failed to explain a key point in matching the head to the tripod, resulting in my believing for a long time I got the wrong one. The rep, Patrick **, was not available when I called many times, which made things worse. (Third bad) When I finally got him, he solved the problem in five minutes. Bizarrely, I was not charged for the head, which arrived on time. I thought it would have been more appropriate not to charge for the tripod. Generally, I found B&H disorganized and inefficient.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Yeah, it said out of stock, but it would be shipped in 5-7 days. Now, after multiple emails, it MIGHT be shipped by the 21st, thus unlikely to be here by Christmas. But, when I looked online last week, they said it would be in stock and shipped the very next day. When I asked why my email said they were expecting a shipment on the 21st, and their website said next day, they played dumb. This company has some very shady business practices. In order to increase sales, they post expectations for ordered they can’t fulfill. If you have a high demand product, look elsewhere for it. Otherwise you are going to wait a very long time before your order is fulfilled.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I would like to begin by saying that customer service at B&H has been 5 stars. But, I have been waiting a week for an overnight guaranteed delivery. I keep being told it's coming and to take the day off of work. I have now lost three days of work, and they have lost the camera once. The second camera sat on tarmac for two days and was then flown past my house to the middle of the country. I was told I "will get an update on Monday, but it may be delivered then, so I should take that day off of work too. But it might be Tuesday. We really don't know what is going on." Three days of my life and wages that I will never get back. Christmas hangs in the balance, and the anxiety of not knowing if I am going to have anything for my son is truly zapping my Christmas spirit.

I wouldn't know if B&H products are good, but the star rating is for insisting on using FedEx. I have read through the reviews on here, and this is a consistent problem. If we can't get our orders, we can't leave you a favorable review. And if we lose an entire week's pay waiting for a $1200 camera that never shows up, it's really difficult to have a favorable opinion of your business. That camera has been kicked and thrown around by FedEx for days now. I can't even trust the condition now.

As I said, customer service was really friendly. But resending through FedEx after they "lost" this camera once, was a bad decision. Especially since they told B&H (when requesting for me to pick up instead of delivery) that they have security issues at their distribution center, and can't trust their employees to not steal. Ship with a different logistics company. I have never had a problem with UPS.

Resolution response: Dec. 29, 2018

B&H did not help. The manufacturer (Philips) did finally replace the defective product. I'll give B&H another star because they do have good prices and quick shipping (if they actually have an item in stock; if not then all bets are off). But just know you'll be on your own after 30 days so make sure the product is from a reputable manufacturer who is willing and able to repair or replace your item should it fail under warranty.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I purchased from them a Philips digital audio recorder in August of this year. When it developed a problem with the LCD screen, I contacted the manufacturer. They confirmed it was defective and still under the one-year warranty, and instructed me to contact my retailer (B&H) for warranty replacement. I contacted B&H customer service and explained the situation, but they made no attempt at helping me, simply repeating over and over that their return policy is 30 days, and since I bought it more than 30 days ago, they would do nothing. Even though it is still under warranty, Further attempts to contact the manufacturer are also going unanswered. All I want is a recorder that works properly or my money refunded. At this point I would recommend not spending a single cent with B&H, and you probably ought not to buy any Philips products either, since they don't seem to be interested in honoring their warranty either.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

This is a factually correct review. Don't do business with them. If there is any problem with your order it will not be solved for you. I ordered $1600 worth of video and audio product from B&H. Only 1/3 of the product arrived. They said there was a warehouse issue. They said they would overnight the rest of the product, never did. After calling again I got the same response, "we will overnight the rest of your order." Only one microphone showed up four days later. I have workers at my house that FedEx claims there was a signature from them. Why would you get a signature from a worker at my house?

This is now two weeks after the order should have arrived. B&H offered to file a claim on the missing microphone (why would two identical microphones be shipped separately?) two cameras, and supplies; the claim would take another week to file and another week after to ship out the product. I am out nearly $500 until that claim goes through... I am returning everything to which I will have to pay for a large box to ship back the items they actually sent. The customer service protocol put their profit line way before the customer. Amazon, Sweetwater, etc. do not operate this way.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I bought (amongst others) a well-known brand for a carry-on photography backpack. Its price (after special discount) was very attractive and I took advantage of that opportunity. Living outside of the US, generally, I prefer to buy this kind of items, personally, at B&H facilities in NYC but, this time, I ordered it while I was traveling in New Mexico. The shipment arrived there on time, as promised and I also was confident that, if needed, I could return it/exchange for other backpack I was considering as an alternative.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Let the buyer beware! BH Photo sold me a Galaxy S7 phone in Dec. 2015. as an international phone. I paid over $700.00 for the phone. BH Photo never appraised me that the phone could not be serviced in any way in the United States because it is too different, especially the battery. I found that out myself when I tried to have the battery replaced before it needed to be around Thanksgiving, 2018. Some International Phones can be repaired in the U.S. but not this one, according to Samsung.

Samsung, which may also be at fault for lack of standardization, told me to get the wholesale purchase number from BH Photo to see where I might be able to send the phone in Vietnam, where it was made. BH Photo said that they no longer sell the phone and don't have the number. BH Photo said they warrantied this item for one year, but no longer have batteries or parts. The Tech Rep I spoke to there said, "What do expect, they stopped production of the Samsung S7 last year?", as if that absolves BH Photo. There is currently nothing wrong with the phone, but apparently I will unable to replace the battery or fix anything else that goes wrong with the phone. DO NOT buy a phone at BH Photo!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Do not use this company. They will ship you broken merchandise and refuse to replace or repair. B&H shipped me a 65" TV with a shattered screen. They have declined to replace due to physical damage (duh). There are better retailers everywhere with similar pricing that wont attempt to steal your money. STAY AWAY FROM B&H PHOTO!

Resolution response: Dec. 12, 2018

Update: I have not yet received the camera, but B&H has been really trying to resolve the issue. They have been incredibly nice and apologetic, which is rare in a business these days. It's not that much money for them, but they have been showing a lot of interest in making me happy....despite me not being very pleasant. I do really appreciate the customer service. I will update again if/when I actually receive the camera. B&H: thanks for actually caring about your customers

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

They charged me $1500 for a camera and never sent it. I received a package with a $10 battery. And a receipt for the whole order. I called and waited for 30 mins for someone to tell me it would arrive later on a different truck. I continued to wait all day (signature required) despite FedEx saying it never shipped. Took another day off of work. I call B&H again because they told me they couldn't do anything unless it didn't show yesterday. Now they say FedEx lost the package. They will send another. I can't take a third day off of work for this nonsense. FedEx says they never received it. B&H insists they did. I'm out two days' pay, and still don't have my son's Christmas present. I have all the accessories I ordered from other sellers, but no body or lens. And I lost a pretty big paycheck this week that I can't get back.

It's been a rough year. And I was really looking forward to giving this gift. I know it's not about material gifts. But giving my soon-to-be adult son such an expensive camera, shows that I believe in him. It was an investment in him, and a financial sacrifice for me, especially this year. But he is starting an internship in February, so it was important. Save yourself the headache and just buy it from Amazon or Best Buy. I tried to do the right thing by not supporting the monopoly, and I got burned. Same price elsewhere, with reliable arrival. I really wanted it to work out with them. They had such good reviews. This was to be my son’s first camera. We were just getting started with the D7200.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

The headphones were very well priced, far below the usual. They are designed for use during activities and are held on the outside of the ear canal by a band that goes around the back of your head. They stay in place and are comfortable. The sound is good and for safety they do not block all the sounds around you, although I would not recommend any earphones for biking outside. The order was promptly shipped and arrived quickly.

B&H Photo Company Information