2.72/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 23, 2018

347 B&H Photo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 23, 2018

I purchased an Explorer Scientific AR102 refractor telescope from this company. NEW but what I got was an as is/used broken item. I contacted B&H Photo and requested an RMA for a refund. I sent back the item with the RMA and after reviewing my request; they do not want to refund me but instead send me back the broken used as is item so I can send it to the main manufacturer to have it repaired. They supposedly contacted the manufacturer and that company supposedly told them they sent a broken telescope in error to B&H Photo. Now mind you I paid full price for a NEW ITEM not a used one. So to me it is fraud and I am considering filing a lawsuit against B&H Photo Video and also the return manager Berney ** for insisting I take the broken telescope and have it repaired myself.

If I go and take them to court; I will sue for the refund itself plus court fees and time I will lose going to court. I am also considering filing a fraud claim as well and pushing for maximum penalty since the item was over 379.00. I have bought from them before and never have I ever experienced anything like this ever from this company and others. It is downright disgusting and discouraging that a company is wanting me to accept the broken item at the full price that I paid for a new one and ship it to Explorer Scientific. So now I will have to pay more money to ship it to get it repaired. Who in the hell do they take me for? Some dumb Joe Schmo off the street?

I sent them an email saying to them, “Do not send me that scope back here and issue me a refund.” I told them, “If that company told you they sent you a broken one in error then you need to send it back to them and get a credit for it not me. It is not my responsibility to send back a scope to get repairs when it was suppose to be new not used.” So as of now I am still waiting for a refund and hoping they did not send that broken scope back to me. If they did send it out; I will truly sue them for everything they got. I am tired of this crap! These companies are doing to its customers and it’s about time we step up and take charge. I will personally see to it that their doors are shut forever! They should not be in business when doing crap like this...PERIOD!

So I will make it my personal mission to shut them down; to prevent them from doing this same nonsense to other people. The great news is; I am doing all of this via emails so I have all the proof and documentation. I know recorded phone calls are generally not admissible in court but written statements and emails are. :) So Berney ** admitted it was a used broken scope whether in error or not but is wanting me to take the broken scope anyway. YEAH I THINK NOT! So hopefully I will see an email with an apology and with the refund. So I will see how this goes in the days ahead as they are stalling and hoping I accept that offer; but there is no way in heaven or on earth will I accept that.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I am very pleased to have ordered my Nikon SB_5000 flash from B&H. I really like the way their website is easy to navigate. They provide good information and reviews on the products they are offering. I received my order free of shipping charge in about a week (west coast) via FedEx.

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I bought a gaming laptop with VMR bundle from B&H. It did not work when I received it. I called for support and was sent to the vendors to pay for my own support as they did not have anyone who knew VMR. I ended up out support money and have to return equipment anyway. Should have gone directly to manufacturer of products so I could get better support. B&H refuses to do anything to make things right and were outright rude. Save yourself the hassle!!

Original review: March 12, 2018

B&H Photo is the best, they have the best selection, prices, and service. Been dealing there a long time. Never a disappointment. If I wanted to pick a complaint on this order, is that they used FedEx for shipping instead of UPS. Do not care for FedEx. In our area, the nearest FedEx station is 90 miles away. Lucky enough I didn't have to be there to sign for the package. My wife and I work and FedEx don't try twice in the same day. UPS is 6 miles from here. Other than that... B&H is perfect. Also, if I have questions or need assistance making a choice, they are a phone call away and their customer assistance people are above the top awesome. What can I say... I love B&H Photo and am a customer for life!

Original review: March 5, 2018

I bought a ikan EC1 Beholder 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer that was defective straight from the box. I left the country on the day the item arrived and was only able to open it when I got back, only to find out it was defective. When I reached out to B&H customer care I was told that since it's been over 30 days nothing can be done. They also advised to contact the manufacturer. I e-mailed the manufacturer and got no reply. Then I called them and was instructed to contact the seller to get a replacement. Now tired of being tossed back and forth, I would appreciate B&H to take some responsibility for shipping me a defective unit in the first place. I didn't pay for a broken item.

It's frustrating that being B&H the company that actually sold me the item won't take responsibility for selling me a broken gimbal. I have always valued your quality and good prices, this however is turning to be one of the worst customer experiences in a sense that 1. I don't expect to be shipped with defective merchandise. 2. If and when defective units are sent I expect the company to take steps to fix it. After all there's a reason people go to specific companies, for reputation and price guarantee. Customer satisfaction is key for retaining businesses.

One of the reasons I shop with Amazon is the fact that their relationship with me doesn't end after the purchase. I had a pair of Beats by Dre headphones that stopped working after 6 months. I contacted them and they send a replacement unit straight away. This unit I had been using, and got replaced. They have my business forever. It's appalling that B&H would refuse to exchange a new, unused, straight from the box defective unit. Now, am I expected to keep an item worth over $500 which defective is essentially a piece of junk?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about B&H Photo-Video?

Original review: March 4, 2018

My brother and I shopped around for the best price on a stereo we wanted for our older mother for Christmas. I found a good price on B&H Photo's website. The item notes stated 4-7 business days for availability and then free expedited shipping. I purchased it on December 5th -- plenty of time to receive by Christmas. On Dec 17th, I still didn't have the item, so I contacted them and was told the item would be shipped after Christmas -- on Dec 29th. We were terribly disappointed, but decided to live with this because, by now, the item was out of stock locally and the price had gone up elsewhere.

Well the new date promised to us came and went and we did not receive the stereo but instead just received a form letter backorder notification. Every few weeks I would call and was told they couldn't give me any more detail, just that it was on backorder. Because I paid on PayPal, they had my money, but refused to go to bat for me with the manufacturer to get a firm date for the stereo. We wanted to cancel, but it was my mother's gift and she really wanted that particular stereo. I tried repeatedly to ask them to make more of an effort to resolve this with the manufacturer, but when they said their buyers would look into it for me and get back to me, I would just get the same useless form letter saying the item was on backorder.

Today (3 full months after the fact), I found the item on sale directly with the manufacturer for only $30 more than the price I paid through B&H photo, so I cancelled my order and purchased it directly through Onkyo. If it's in stock with the manufacturer, surely the retailer should be able to push for their stock for a 3 month outstanding order? This is how you lose a customer and drive them to write angry reviews like this one. Thanks for nothing B&H! Not once did you make me feel like you went to bat for me as your customer. If you had any decency, you would refund $30 to me for the additional cost of having to buy it directly from the manufacturer. This wouldn't recover my lost time, the Christmas gift fail, the fact you had my $200 for 3 months or the frustration with your lack of help every time I reached out, but it would at least be the decent thing to do.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I can buy a MacBook from Apple and return it for full refund within 14 Days. When you buy from B&H you own it regardless. They "might" take it back for a mere 15% restocking fee. IMHO, these people are used junk dealers that have obtained some dealer authorizations. I'll never buy anything from them. It's a NYC based company that haven't adapted to a consumer trends.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I ordered a OB (Open Box) monitor from B&H. I had a question on what sort of warranty it would have. They got back to me online chat with the answer right away. It had the same warranty as a new one. A used monitor would have a 90 day warranty. Since the price was 10% lower, I went with the OB. Delivery was stated as 3-5 days. I received it in 3 days in Madison, WI. It was very well packed and the monitor is working perfectly. I have used B&H for many items over the years and they have always had great customer service, great prices and a great warranty. I would rank them equal to Amazon and Newegg.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I’ve purchase from them DJ equipment and everything went smooth the day I purchased and the items was guaranteed that will come in two days or even three days. What it been fine! What happened the item didn't even ship by that time, calling them and getting someone to help was impossible 'cause they close early on Friday and Saturday they don't work, I had to rent the equipment because the item didn't arrive on time, finally I got in touch and they didn't wanna stay behind their mistakes caused by their salesman... which cost me $ (renting the equipment) and for $30 they didn't even wanna work out on discount but they chose me to return the product and lose a customer. Be careful with this company 'cause they don't stay behind their product or mistakes and you will end up paying from your own pocket. Don't trust them or whatever they say, they are far behind Amazon and some other Companies.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

B&H stole $300 from me. BUYER BEWARE! I thought I was getting a deal by buying from them for no shipping and no taxes. I ordered 2 TVs from B&H on November 22, 2017. No one contacted me until 12 days after about Shipping the merchandise. They held the merchandise at the shipper and claimed they contacted me numerous times. (They called me twice and I responded and called them back twice And asked me to confirm shipping... and I did.) B&H called the shipping company and told them to return the merchandise without my permission. They charged me $300 restocking fee. So basically, they stole $300 from me and I have no merchandise. I'm now in the process of suing them for my money back. Terrible business! DO NOT BUY FROM B&H! Horrible customer service. Really upsetting!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I received my package and all items were in good condition. I have gone out and done some image captures with my new Fujifilm GFX 50S and 32-64 mm zoom lens. The images seemed to be really good, but I won't know until I download them into the raw file recommended in the owner's manual. I am having a hard time trying to download the images without success so far. Other than that the camera seems to be in good working order and so far I am pleased with my Fujifilm camera. I wish it was warmer outside, I would be taking more pictures. I was really nervous about buying such an expensive item over the internet. I wasn't sure of the outcome and was anxious to receive my package and check it out. So far it looks good. Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I've ordered from B&H Photo a couple of times now, and each time it was a pleasant experience, and they seem to really care about their customers. Each time my order was shipped the same day, and was free. Excellent!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

B&H did an excellent job delivering the order the following day. Online ordering was simple and straightforward. The website product description was clear and detailed. They had confirmation every step of the way so one knew the order had been confirmed, shipped, received without any doubt.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have used B&H for years, but for camera items. I didn't realize you were into electronic products. I ordered a Sony PS4-VR camera and gun for my grandson for Christmas. You didn't have the camera but did have the gun. It was shipped and received just after Christmas, but that was OK. My grandson has a birthday on the 20th of Jan, so he'll get it then.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I ordered a package of Eneloop Pro AA batteries and the Powerex charger on Dec. 26, 2017, and promptly received a confirmation email from B&H. Delivery was scheduled for Jan 2, 2018, which I received. Although I've only had one mishap with B&H (that fault lying with USPS), I have continued to conduct as much of my business as possible with this company as they have proven their reliability day in and day out for years. Not many companies can make this claim. Thank You B&H!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I ordered monitors online from B&H and in the chat with the online person I asked if a signature would be required for delivery. The response was yes it would be required. I then arranged to have a person at my house for the delivery. When the monitors never arrived, I tracked the shipment to find out that the package had been left at "the front door" and no signature was required. Needless to say my package is missing and I have to go through a tedious claim process with UPS as well as B&H to get this resolved. B&H has my money, someone else has my monitors and I have no more patience with this company. First and last time I order from this place and I would caution each of you that if they say "Package requires signature for delivery" what they really mean is "It's up to the delivery person's discretion if they want to leave the package without the signature". Who does that? Doesn't a signature required mean a signature is required!!!

Btw - I was placed on hold for over 5 minutes and the customer service reps (team member & manager) were both very "sorry" for the inconvenience as they stated it with their most non-empathetic voice possible. Not impressed to say the least. Use caution when ordering from this company and if you want anyone other than UPS to handle the shipment, you have to ask as that is their delivery company by default.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

We received the green screen prior to Christmas, and are very happy so far, although our grandson has not yet used it. We are hopeful this will bring him much happiness, and expand his capabilities while trying to become a YouTube star which is his goal at the moment. He is only 10 and a half so we are hoping his goals expand to more realistic goals as he matures.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

One of the best stores for photography professionals. Many choices in terms of quality and price, and the prices are very competitive compared to the other stores. What makes B&H the best store in its own category from A-Z: 1- They have unbiased verified customer reviews, which helps a lot in decision making. 2- If you are purchasing in the NYC store there are very knowledgeable and helpful sales associates. 3- I buy my gear online from Canada. More choices and better prices.

On top of all, there is Free Shipping for over $99 purchases with an excellent customs clearance service. I really don't like to go through the delivery companies (you know them, no name necessary). They rip you off and charge fees up to 50-60% of value of the delivered item (not exaggerating, seriously). B&H is fast and honest in paperwork. 4- Excellent Customer Service: If something is wrong or you're not happy with your purchase they immediately take the responsibility and do their best to solve the problem. I think the human value and the human experience are the most important things in decision making. And, B&H takes these points very well into consideration.

I will not change my review on B&H, however, my only resentment is that they work with UPS Canada. I don't know, this company might do well in US, but they have a very bad reputation in Canada. Many people I know and myself have bad experiences, from damaged package to paper falsification. This last time, the package came opened. I reported the issue to B&H. UPS even did not apologize. Not good at all. I wish they did not work with UPS.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Ordered LG Computer monitor from B&H. There was a gouge on the outside of the packaging, but seems like everything inside was fine. Shipping was quick and ordering process was simple. Would purchase again from B&H.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I find what I need. The prices are competitive. I like the free shipping for items over $100. I found some very good deals in their "deal zone". They didn't mess up on any of my purchases, I was able to track my orders so I always knew what was happening.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I purchased a $959 Intel CPU from them and they sent me an Apple Super Drive. They never answer emails or hang up on you on the phone. They are scammers and crooks. They can tell by the weight of the package that the item was not correct. I guess I will dispute it with my credit card company. Stay away from this dishonest company.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I ordered a computer on November 22 with a custom install (as far as I'm aware, all they needed to do was add a single RAM chip to complete the install). During checkout it said it takes 5 to 7 business days to complete the install and ship the product. It's now December 18, I've written several times asking for updates, and all they ever say is "I'm sorry."

Up until December 13 - almost three full weeks after I ordered - I received no reasons, no attempts to make the situation right, no nothing. They sent an email on December 7 saying they anticipated getting the install completed in four to five days, but needless to say they've blown right past that date too, as it's now December 18 and I'm still waiting to hear anything at all.

And oh the excuses. On Dec 5, ten emails into our chain, they told me they had new trainees in the install department and that's what was taking so long. Then on Dec 13, seven emails later, they tell me instead that they're waiting for a back ordered part. It took them SO MANY emails to mention this that I honestly don't really even believe them; it feels like an excuse at this point, especially because I asked them which part several times - I made it clear that I'm happy to go look for the missing part myself (frankly it's probably available with same-day delivery on Amazon since they're in NYC) - and they have so far refused to tell me which part it is no matter how many times I explain I'm just trying to speed things along.

I've suggested they substitute the part, and the suggestion was completely ignored. Frankly at this point - I ordered the computer almost a full month ago now for a holiday that will be over in a couple days, and they know this, I have made that clear too) - they should be willing and eager to substitute whatever's missing with anything of comparable or higher value/performance just to get the order out the door. I don't get the secrecy about what's supposedly back ordered - unless nothing is and I'm just getting jerked around - or their refusal to even pretend that this is a problem they're interested in fixing.

I've made it clear this is a Hanukkah gift (the holiday will be over by the time they maybe get around to doing the install), but that doesn't seem to matter to them (especially surprising for this shop). It also doesn't seem to matter that they've been sitting on almost $1600 of my money for almost four weeks and are making absolutely zero attempts to get the order out in anything even resembling a timely fashion. Which I might be less irritated about if they were making any attempt at all to salvage the situation, but they are not.

No offers to substitute the missing part (nothing but an ignored suggestion there), no willingness to even tell me what the missing part is so I can attempt to find it on my own (again, totally ignored when I've asked more than once), no "How can we make this okay for you?", no offers to refund even part of the cost of the machine for ruining my kid's holiday (I've told them this too - this was the one and only Hannukkah gift for my kid and she is DEVASTATED that there was nothing on the table all week). Just repeated empty apologies, no follow-up unless I write them first, and no actions to get my item shipped. Worst customer experience I've ever had. And the real kicker? As of right now, the computer is still showing as IN STOCK on their website.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I have ordered many pieces of photography equipment from B&H, ranging from simple clamps to professional camera bodies costing thousands of dollars. My experiences have always been very satisfying — quality products at fair prices. Unfortunately, my experience with their preferred carrier, UPS, has been less than stellar. But that’s not under the control of B&H.

Resolution response: Dec. 20, 2017

I got a refund from Paypal, ordered the printer from Amazon. The price went down after the printer was shipped and Amazon doesn't make price adjustments, so I bought the same printer again and returned the previously ordered printer upon it's arrival.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

On December 7th, I ordered a printer from B&H Online. It was supposed to come later, but it never came. B&H claimed they sent it to UPS and that UPS is delayed because of the holiday, but that simply isn't true. I ordered something else from B&H and it was delivered to my address perfectly fine. The tracking number had no updates on the package because UPS decided it would be a good idea to not initially scan the item. B&H refused to give me a refund, but luckily I made the payment through PayPal. B&H Customer Support flat out said that they wouldn't respond to the dispute, but they would call the package back. The very next day, they decided to respond to the dispute and PayPal refunded me the money, which was $391.04. I am pretty sure they won't be getting that package returned to them since UPS seems to have lost the package.

B&H claims that this happens all the time. Packages aren't initially scanned by UPS, then a week or two later it arrives to the buyer's address. It is supposed to be expedited shipping. B&H must be crazy to think that they can have UPS not initially scan items. When you don't scan an item, neither UPS, B&H or the buyer will know when the package is received. If it was Amazon or any other big company, they would have refunded me the money. Amazon recently lost 4 of my packages, it was reported as lost, so they gave me replacements and/or refunds and they also gave me free credits for the problem. What did B&H do? They said they would file a claim with UPS and they also told me that they wouldn't respond to the PayPal dispute.

Filing a claim with the same people that were incompetent enough to not initially scan the item is horrid. As I've said before, they responded the next day, probably because I told them. I wonder how angry they will be when they don't get the item back from UPS since it's definitely lost. I am never ordering from B&H ever again. It will be my first and last time I have ever purchased an item from B&H. I ordered the printer from Amazon and it will arrive (on-time) in a couple of days. It is the Brother HL-L8360CDW Color Laser Printer. I would just like to point out that the Customer Representative that told me that they will not respond to my PayPal dispute was someone by the name of Raphy **.

I suggest that B&H retrain that person or whatever since that's not what you say to a customer. I would also like to point out that their customer support is not good because they are only available at certain times. They aren't available 24/7, which is how long they should be available. They make way more money online than they do at the stores in New York, but I guess they are being really cheap.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I ordered a silver Mac Pro for my granddaughter’s 18th birthday. They changed my order to Space Grey. My granddaughter is terribly unhappy with the dark grey Mac. B&H refused to exchange it for the silver because she removed the shrink wrap covering the box the computer was in when she opened her present. They also lied by saying Apple had discontinued the Space Grey so they couldn’t take it back.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

It was easy to find what I was looking for on B&H Photo's website. I purchased a WDC My Book 8TB & Sony BD-R 25GB spindle; great prices on both. Service was prompt & delivery on time (UPS tracking provided).

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Epson Projector - Don't trust the B&H Photo, they say expedited delivery in 3 days. But you will never get it. What they say is, they will ship it to you in 3 days but they don't guarantee when they will get it. So they may get it in 2-4 weeks or even more. They make false promise in about delivering the product. I don't see the point of buying something which will be deliver to you in 2 months.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I ordered a 55 inch LG from B&H. I had spoken with a helpful salesperson in Oct. He answered my questions and did not try to upsell or close the sale (after telling him I was researching). I was concerned about buying it "mail order." He told me how they shipped large tv's via a freight shipper and have had very good results. I felt he answered my questions and addressed my concerns. I purchased the TV later in Nov. The shipper called to arrange delivery and the TV arrived, no problem, no issues. The TV is spectacular and both the vendor and shipper were excellent; I would recommend all three.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Their website is clearly designed and easily navigated and their prices are competitive. It was my first purchase from B&H Photo and I believe I've got a good deal. I wish I could buy more from them, if only they had what I'm looking for.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

I decided to give B&H a chance for a pre-ordered Sony camera which cost greater than $3k. I then waited a month for it to arrive and when it did the shipping box was severely damaged (ripped tape, bent box), no packaging was used to protect the actual camera box on the inside and the Sony camera box had damaged edges. I then contacted customer service about this and they gave me no option other than to "wait for more product to arrive" because it is currently on backorder. They offered me nothing as compensation and were very rude. This is the reason people buy things on Amazon. I will never buy anything from them again and I will let all of my friends know how terrible of an experience I had with them.

B&H Photo Company Information