2. Miscellaneous

B&H Photo

1.6/5 (33 ratings)

About B&H Photo

B&H Photo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about B&H Photo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about B&H Photo-Video?

Original review: May 14, 2021

I've used B&H Photo multiple times. Never had any issues but a delayed package that was UPS and not their fault. I've visited their Brick and mortar store in NYC and was a beautiful store with great customer service. If you sign up for their accounts you also get reward points and save money on your next order. I've bought Computer GPUs, CPUs, PSUs, and SSDs, and multiple DSLR Lens that were better priced than most bigger retailers. I paid 35 dollars less on my Canon EF 35mm f/2 wide-angle lens than I would've paid from Best Buy or Amazon (600 dollar lens btw).

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

I purchased a used monitor from B&H Photo, and received it in good condition and in a reasonable timeframe. The shipping was free and took one more business day from the initial expected time at purchase, but overall only took 4 business days to arrive. I had to contact support a couple of times to fix my shipping address (due to my error - Paypal had an old address), but it was fixed in the same day. Based on this experience I would use B&H Photo again.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2021

Ordered a Fujifilm gf lens, used Citi bank credit card, hit enter. All of a sudden a B&H PHOTO/SYNCHRONY BANK credit card was reopened, ok it will save me $200, lens comes damaged. Customer service sucked so I canceled order, fujifilm also had a $500 rebate, I called back. Recorded and like always I have camera stuff shipped next day air, lens sat at bh for days, so I ordered from Adorama. I had sent damaged lens right back, bh received in couple of days, but now

B&H PHOTO/SYNCHRONY BANK is charging me interest, customer service could care less from both B&H PHOTO/SYNCHRONY BANK. If they would look at my history I have spent $$$$ with these **. No more after 20 years.

Original review: June 26, 2021

We ordered a $160 DJ stand in June 4th. We called twice for a tracking number to see where it was. First time just said, "Ok I'll send you an email to track." It never came, second time "Oh it's a third party. I will contact them then email you a tracking #." Again nothing! It's been past time of estimated delivery and we still don't have nothing and we have a business to run. Very poor customer service they wanna rush you off the phone. I want my money back!!!!

Original review: June 24, 2021

I placed an order for delivery internationally. Product was 159.99 + 44 for shipping - paid for upgraded shipping. Upon delivery attempt, local affiliate informed me I needed to pay for shipping, still - $84. Supposed to be $27 VAT fee, but the remainder was simply pocketed by B&H I guess?? Contacted customer support who basically told me I'm wrong and if I e-mail them again, they'll ignore me. Filed complaint with BBB and NY Attorney General. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: May 10, 2021

They sent me a USED $1200 computer that they represented as new. When I opened the box, it was missing parts and there were fingerprints all over it. When I inquired about them sending me a new one, they said I had to send the old one back first leaving me without a computer for a couple of weeks. This was unacceptable as I use my computer daily for business. It was clearly a return that they sold as new. Most other companies provide for you a discount in this situation. They refused to provide me a discount and refused to work with me. I have pictures and will amend this review. Stay away from this place and order from a reputable company. Otherwise, you are most likely receiving a used or returned product.

Resolution response: May 21, 2021

B&H could not find any evidence they had sent me the product, so they sent me a replacement. I'm withdrawing my review.

Original review: April 23, 2021

I placed an order for two neutral density rolls on 4/15. For some reason the order was split into two shipments. I received the first shipment via Fedex on 4/20. The second order I received via Fedex on 4/21 evening. Both shipments came in large 6' x 6" boxes. Upon opening the second shipment box, I was a little startled to discover it was completely empty (no product, receipt, packing slip, nothing). Both ends of the package were sealed shut with B&H packing tape... There was no way anyone could have opened the package unless they carried B&H packing tape around with them.

I immediately called B&H customer service, who informed me to take photos of the empty box and email them to them, which I did. I received a response the next day that they had looked at their packing video and that it showed the product being placed in the box. I informed them that they may have been looking at the first shipment being packed, but clearly not the second. I also informed them I would not pay $114.42 for an item I did not receive.

They've now stopped responding to me. I've disputed the order with my credit card company. In the last 6 months I've purchased over $7000.00 in products from B&H. I'm not a liar or a thief. If they fight my dispute, I will never order another product from this company again. They clearly don't respect their customers. I also think they're lying about watching the package video, because they would have clearly seen nothing being placed in the second box.

Original review: March 22, 2021

I made purchase from B&H Photo. They contracted FedEx for the delivery, and unfortunately the shipment was delivered to a wrong location. I contacted B&H immediately and they refused to refund or replace the item. Instead of them filing a claim with FedEx, they told me to file a claim with FedEx, even though I am not the one who contracted FedEx. I had to dispute the charge with my bank. After providing proof of the Shipping Information, the bank agreed with me and issued credit for the purchase. Once B&H gets your money, they will do everything they can to keep it and to avoid doing anything that will cost them, including resolving issues with their 'customers', or as they see it, their ATM machines.

Original review: March 22, 2021

I was shopping for the Logitech Z606 5.1 speaker system, looking for the best price and fastest shipping. Everywhere I looked, including Logitech, the product was listed for $129.99 - except B&H. Their price = $307. I contacted them to be sure their price was not an error. Nope - $307 for a $130 item. I explained that even the manufacturer had a MSRP of $129.99 and, as requested, sent B&H a link to the Logitech page. "Sorry, we cannot match that price". I will never again even bother checking B&H Photo when shopping.

Resolution response: March 17, 2021

Update: I was contacted by B&H Photo and they said they will send me the items that were missing.

Original review: March 15, 2021

I received only half of what I ordered, and instead of the other half there was an awful pack of card with tire advertisements!! See picture. Customer service is the worst I've ever come across: countless mails, chats in which I was instructed to send an email again, no picking up the phone and 3-hr wait times. I'm still trying to reach them after 11 days, no answer whatsoever. I have equipment waiting for those parts and now I have to order them someplace else, having already paid for them once. Spend your money elsewhere, where they actually care about your business!!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

When you spend hard earned money on valuable equipment for work, you expect business to business decorum. I will keep this simple, B&H Photo accepted payment for products never delivered. B&H has clearly breached their own agreement and a result, used nefarious communications to avoid fulfillment and refund of purchased product. This behavior constitutes fraud and has been reported to the correct authorities, including associated banking institutions.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

Used to be a 4 star company, now they are 1 star. My friends and family have all ordered tens of thousands of dollars over the years with this company because for a long time, customer service for both the used department and others were great at resolving issues, but I have observed that things have been slowly deteriorating in just the last 5 years. I am a business major who's talked with many business people (from the real business world) who were also my professors, so I know that the top managers are supposed to be the role models for their employee behaviors and if that is the case now, it looks like there are a lot of problems with this company in how it handles customer service, and no, I am not going to use the world situation to excuse any form of incompetence, laziness or rudeness in this area.

I will first address the Used Department, as that is how my family and I have found great prices on older electronics in general, as I am sure many of you who are reading this review are aware of. In the past, when we wanted to trade in, let's say a relatively valuable, but older PC monitor, or other similar electronic items, we would hear back from an employee from the department either with an offer, or proper explanation of them being unable to offer any trade in value (like if the monitor was just too old, like over 10 years, and they could not sell it, which is reasonable). In other words, they treated you with respect enough to be upfront and honest, which from recent experience, simply doesn't happen anymore.

One of my friends I was working with to help get rid of relatively new tech (talking barely 2 years old or so) one was a PC monitor, if you care what it was, it was a DELL UP3017. The other thing was a Vive Pro VR system that he bought and used for development until he lost his job as developer for a game publisher. I wonder if I need to copy and paste the obvious copy and paste message they tell me or any of my family and friends now, I guess I will paraphrase part of it and explain why I am offended by the callousness of it.

This is what they tell me or any of us now for pretty much anything we send a list of to trade in. "Unfortunately, we have no market for, or are currently overstocked with those items you wish to trade in. We hope you continue to shop BH...". Seems like a lot of people here get that same copy and pasted message or messages very similar to it. The reason for my personal offense, is that those two items in particular, the Vive Pro system and DELL UP3017 are in fact items being sold as of this date (February 26th, 2021) on their site, the Vive Pro is in the "on the way" status, meaning a restock is possible, and the UP3017 is in stock to purchase.

So what I am reading from the copy and pasted message, obviously the customer service was in a rush and sent me a nonsensical message rather than taking time to be reasonable and explain honestly why they cannot trade in the items I mentioned,. I ask you who are reading this, how do they state they have no market for first, the Vive Pro, which the Pro version is on order, the Pro Eye version is in stock and so are a bunch of Vive accessories (and even the slightly cheaper Vive Cosmos as an alternative to the Pro systems), and so obviously these items have a market and are selling, and second of all how can you be overstocked, when the Vive Pro is out of stock? Same thing with the UP3017, if there was no market, why is it still being sold on the site then?

It's there on the main site and I saw one in the used department too. Furthermore, There is no way they are overstocked on the UP3017, it is a special use case, 16:10 aspect ratio (uncommon now that 16:9 has a large portion of the market), wide color gamut IPS monitor used for color grading and photographer/videographer work in general. It is not a cheap, readily available monitor that they have thousands to sell, not many of them are made at all.

Sure, you could argue with me all day about their refusals being nothing more than viewing the loss of the money my friends and family spent every year in the past as a loss they are willing to take to not pay out a few hundred or one thousand for both items in question. Interesting math, as on average we've spent (individually) around 6000 dollars a year each, which is 500 a month, and if you multiple that by just 50 people in my family, that is around 300000 dollars a year, and that does not factor in my hundreds of friends who used to buy all their technology from this company.

Not to mention, my workplace used to, but our CEO already gave the order to switch our technology suppliers to competitors instead due to multiple problems trying to get proper answers and honesty. Seems to be a pattern as I see here with other people's workplaces doing the same. Bad treatment of customers has a heavy cost doesn't it? Last month, I made my final purchase from them because they were the only one who had something I critically needed for work, in stock (every other store was backordered for months) but now I am done giving them my money.

Perhaps the most interesting aspect of communicating via email with B&H customer service, is that customer service sometimes will not identify themselves at all, in fact, one of the messages refusing the Vive Pro and Dell UP3017 are from a blank name, showing no willingness to take responsibility for the message being written. This message which made a lame attempt to explain their acknowledgement of the poorly written copy and pasted message about 'no market' and 'overstocked' basically said, the reason I am seeing these items in the store, is because sometimes they are used returns, interesting, so are you admitting to selling used items as new?

I know I saw a complaint here about that for an expensive order and it makes me wonder now, how many items were sold to me as 'new' for retail price over the years when they were nothing more than repackaged returns or outright used items. Of course, after this message was written, they probably realized their mistake in saying that, but it's too late now, this information is out there now, from me and everyone else here who had similar experiences.

I doubt things will change, especially if the people in charge don't change, I think the complaints will remain the same here. The inaction of these people, shows an unwillingness to fix their mistakes and makes me feel the arrogance of people in charge must think they don't make mistakes and that if taking responsibility of fixing problems like missing orders, wrong address delivery, costs too much and all these customers are worth losing, eventually you won't have a business anymore, because you will not have enough customers to sustain the business if you keep treating people badly.

B&H Photo Company Information