B&H Photo
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

B&H Photo

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 17, 2017

308 B&H Photo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

What can I say, B&H Photo Video is top notch. I've been doing business with them for well over 30 years. After-sale service is excellent. On one occasion, they even contacted me just to be sure that the item I ordered, was correct. How many business go out of their way to do that in this day and age? In all the years I've done business with them, I've had one return, which was handled promptly and politely with prepaid pickup and shipping. B&H is my go-to vendor. Usually, their prices are the best and if not typically they will match it. No one in the industry provides better service!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Canon Pro 100 ink - Ordering and time till received product was quick. Product was shipped within a couple of days and received in less than 4 days. I cannot obtain this ink at the local office supply so online ordering is required. Having quick service is a big plus.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

APC Backup-UPS BN450M purchase - Quick and easy process to purchase a new UPS backup device from B&H Photo. Great price and prompt shipment. Unit arrived when promised and was well-packaged to protect it during shipment. Would definitely recommend B&H Photo as an on-line company to buy from -- I have always been satisfied with my purchases from B&H.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Excellent Service, Super Fast shipping, responsive and friendly customer service. Regular customer of B&H Photo and they have always exceeded expectations with their service even to an International shopper like me.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

First of all, I ask for an iPhone 7 Plus unlock and they give me iPhone 7 Plus locked. I sent it back and now B&H cellular do not want to give me the right phone. Moreover, I talked on the phone with them and they put me on hold for two and a half hours with no answer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about B&H Photo-Video?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I purchased two DWC-v6763WTIR cameras 10-17-17 for $350.00. I happened to be on their site the next day, 10-18-17, and they were 152.49 each. I called about this, and spoke with a C/S rep who wanted to take care of the refund WITHOUT ACKNOWLEDGING OUR CONVERSATION, which wasn't acceptable. I asked for his supervisor, Jason **, who emailed me that he refunded 22.00+ AND CAPITALIZED, IN PARENTHESIS, THAT IT WAS THE TOTAL DISCOUNT FOR BOTH CAMERAS! In essence, he credited the price drop on one camera only, total refund 22.50. I had to place another call and asked for a manager, I was transferred to ANOTHER SUPERVISOR INSTEAD who acknowledged the refund should have been 44.50 instead of 22.50. As we were talking, supervisor Jason ** sent another email indicating the correct credit to be issued.

The bottom line is I had to monitor you guys and spend excess time on the phone to get this taken care of properly. To compound the issue, when I received my cameras, there was only 1 INCOMPLETE INSTALL KIT for one camera on page 7 of the manual, item 5 used to unlock the camera from the base for installation was missing! AND 0 INSTALL KIT FOR THE CAMERA! I have spent almost two hours on the phone with B&H Photos C/S reps and supervisors and still cannot install my cameras. I have to pay a service fee, non refundable to the installers, because the parts for the two cameras: ONE IS MISSING THE UNLOCK KEY FOR THE CAMERA/BASE, AND NO INSTALL KIT FOR THE SECOND CAMERA AT ALL!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I have NEVER not ONCE encountered a company that has this Poor of customer service. I placed an order on Sunday to be delivered overnight. Paid $34.00 Overnight shipping to arrive Wednesday. Wednesday came and went no order, I called, salesperson said "So sorry l'll expedite it overnight for delivery Friday." Friday came and went no delivery, no delivery Saturday, no delivery Sunday, It arrived mid morning Monday. 5 Days AFTER it should of been here. I called Monday. Talked to a supervisor, Was told, "Sorry but we did all we could, we will offer you a $20 inhouse gift card." I told them that is a slap in the face to a customer that was not ONCE but TWICE had their order screwed up.

I will NEVER EVER do business with this company again. I am contacting the Better Business Bureau and filing a complaint, I am going to contact the ONLY local camera/photo shop in my town and let them know NOT to RECOMMEND this company to another customer. I wish I had taken the time to check the reviews before I placed the order and with all of the Negative Reviews I would of NEVER EVER PLACED the order. This company need to be held accountable for their actions. This is not a one time thing with this company, as I am finding out with all of the BAD REVIEWS.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

What a terrible customer service! So I have ordered multiple Sony cameras, SD cards, gimbals, and so on. I had one SD card that was total garbage. I shot everything on it, tried to put it on my computer, and all it read was an error. Lost all my footage. But I'll chalk that up to bad luck. I am leaving this review because of something way worse. If something goes wrong with your order or product, they will say "tough luck" and leave it be. They have terrible customer service!

I recently ordered a lens filter for a specific film shoot. I placed this order 2 months ago. It said it was on back order but if I ordered it, the last possible date it would arrive a couple days before the first shoot. I ordered this item because a client wanted a specific look for the video. The date came and went and I never received my item. I was upset that B&H made this date up and completely ruined what I was trying to do for this film. If it wasn't going to be shipped by the latest date then don't say it was. I had day two scheduled the next week, but it never arrived. My final shoot in this project went the exact same way. B&H never even shipped my product. TWO MONTHS went by and nothing. I have had this project stifled and my work negatively affected. Now, I am stuck trying to fix what should never have been a problem.

A few days after my final shoot, I received an email saying I wouldn't receive my item at all! If I wasn't going to get it, why even let me order it and string me along. I could have ordered it from anywhere else and had it delivered on time. I contacted B&H and sent them what happened. First experience with their customer service. They simply responded with "It's still on back order," and "It'll be 2-3 days before we hear back from the manufacturer."

Really, wait a longer time. Again, months went by when they said it would arrive in weeks. Then they simply ignore it. I don't know any company that throws their customer under the bus when they messed up. They don't care the trouble they cause their customers and respond back with tough luck. Sure you can order from B&H. You may or may not get your product. But if something goes wrong, they won't treat you with respect and they could care less if they mess up your business projects.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Taking into overall account (Purchase Panasonic G85 and lens). Conversion NZ dollar - US dollar. NZ Bank charges... NZ$26.97. Shipping $47.00. DHL charges. GST on Importation/Transaction Fee/GST on Transaction Fee/Credit Card Fee/Disbursement Fee... Total NZ $282.54. Collectively I finished up saving on NZ$39.00 on purchase in NZ from Price Me. This is not a reflective on B&H... It is reflective of importation costs.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I pre-ordered an expensive camera at 3400 dollars. And I was surprised to be charged the total amount, they held my money for 1 month and when I gave up and canceled the order I lost 200$ on the exchange rate. I told them about this but I was ignored. IMO you shouldn't be charged before the stock is on hand. Neglect of other people's money.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017
On September 6th, I order $3,600 worth of used products. Supposed to go on on September 7th, nothing. Well I email them, on Monday, and they'll look into it.

I email them again on Thursday the 14th. And my reply is "Thank you for contacting the Used Customer Service Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio. You're 100% correct. I'm really not sure what the issue is. I would recommend canceling it at this point and want to stress how sorry I am for this incredibly poor experience. Thank you. Daniel B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio The Professional's Source." The professional's source? How the hell are these guys in business pull stuff like this? They took my money fast enough. I have to guess at this point they are selling stuff they don't have, and now they've been caught with their pants down.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

Ordered a Metabones converter for my GH5. After a 2nd delivery date 3 weeks ago, I now have a 3rd possible delivery date. That's just the delivery date to their store - not to me. Then I asked if there was any way it could get delivered to me quicker, and their response was, yes for $44 USD more. I went with the U.S. because traditionally the service is better and more reliable but I believe that is all changing, having had far better experiences with other countries. It's a bizarre customer service policy in that. I know personally 3 other guys already who were going to purchase that converter and VLOG update and wanted to know my experience with B&H... But hey, B&H get to keep their $44 USD - Sweet!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

We ordered a pair of sunoculars specifically for the solar eclipse. They arrived on time and in perfect packaging. Upon opening, we realized they did not work at all. We followed the very specific instructions and to no avail, the very expensive and defective binoculars did not work. I called the number on the packing slip and spoke to three very rude "customer service reps." I was told that under no circumstances could I return these for a refund. They informed me that I could contact the manufacturer and see if they could help but it was no longer "B&H's problem". They truly do not care about their customers. I would not recommend these people to anyone. I wish I would have seen all of these negative reviews before I purchased something so expensive from such a crooked company.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

I bought through them a Behringer bass amp head BDX300H. It was connected exactly as it should, which means the line-out to my recording equipment (with no speaker connected, no need). After 4 hours the equipment went dead, so I contacted B&H asking for assistance. I explained the connection and the situation using the term "pre-amp", which means a first phase of amplifying the signal, so it can be recorded. After many mails where some sort of a "specialist" was continuously trying to prove that I used the amp incorrectly (as a pre-amp) I phoned them, spent good 45 minutes talking first to customer support rep, then to a real technical specialist, then back to customer support and finally I was promised to be sent a return label and the exchange of the faulty equipment.

Then 5 minutes later I got the mail that no, it cannot be exchanged and that B&H will do nothing about that. So I called back, got to a manager, who, after admitting he is not a specialist repeated the same nonsense about "pre-amp" and that cut the talk. So, I have spent money and time to be left with fully new, but immediately faulty equipment and completely no assistance from the company who very, very quickly took my money, then took a month to deliver the goods and finally did nothing to help me out.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I called on Wednesday 4/16 to inquire about Glasses for the eclipse. I told him I needed 15 Glasses, but needed assurance that I will have them for Monday or I would go elsewhere to make sure I would have them. The Customer Service agent said – “absolutely -- as long as you pay for overnight shipping” -- I will get them. He said they come in packs of 5 -- so I ordered 3 packs. I get the shipment on Friday night at 6PM -- open the package to find -- 1 pack of 5 in there --- but of course I was billed for 3 and paid for the expedited shipping.

They were closed at that time until Sunday morning. I called on Sunday 8/20 -- the first chance to contact them. The agent said – “sorry - nothing we can do.” There is no way this was done by accident - The shipped 1 package because of the heavy demand. Not right -- and not nice. I now have a lot of disappointed kids who I promised would have these. Thanks B & H for assuring me I have "nothing to worry about".

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

B&H consumer service doesn't care at all. They sent me a broken phone and have made zero attempt to help me solve all of the issues. My money has not been returned to me. Unapologetic, unprofessional. The phone they sent me wasn't even listed as USED on the web site but a broken used phone was all that ever was sent to me. I returned it a week ago and still no money back... August 6, 2017.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I have ordered Nexus 5X from this company. After using couple of days started noticing overheat and received many complaints from friends that I am not responding to text messages, which I never received. Tried to resolve with carrier and it seems issue was with phone. Not sure what was the issue with phone. I requested for return & refund, this company said they can offer exchange since I lost packaging box, which is fine. Sent phone to this company and rep called me. Told they do not have any phones. They can only do refund with 20% restocking fee. It is unfair that they told they cannot do exchange since they do not have stock. When the phones in stock, problem with them and they need to offer full refund. Rep was harsh and I am done with this company. I regret buying from this website.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Bought a tripod/head mount for upcoming project. Received instead a 27'' iMac 5k Retina PC with no packing slip. Called immediately to report the mistake and arrange for the thing I paid for and was not sent to BE sent and was treated essentially like a criminal. Feel like I was bait and switched, they explained that they would have simply charged me for it if I didn't call. Explained the urgency and need for the tripod, and he offered to sell me another one for another $800. Sent me a paid regular UPS Ground return label even though I paid 3 day shipping. Explains it will take a week to receive it, 3 days to process it, then presumably another 3 day wait once shipped. Refused to return my money for 1-2 weeks until they can process.

So now, not only will I not have a tripod for 2-3 weeks if I wait on them, but they are holding my money hostage when they never honored our agreement and never sent me what belonged to me. Not to mention treating me like a thief who stole their iMac even though their negligence forced me to possess it. Really not satisfied and furious with the demeanor of the customer service representative I spoke with.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

I have to wonder how they would respond to a warranty issue after having a terrible experience trying to sell them some camera equipment. I sent them a camera and two lenses along with misc. accessories and manuals, etc. in pristine condition. The deal did not work out and they sent back my property but not in a professional manner by any means! They obviously tag and shelve your property before you have even agreed on the price. My camera and battery charger with lens caps were rolled into one bubble wrap bag without any protection between the three objects. The screen shield I had put on the Canon EOS7D was gone and the camera was left on with someone else's memory chip in it that they used to test. I did not get back both manuals and a battery cover.

After several e-mails and phone messages of excuses, and several weeks later after their first attempt to send the missing items (by sending EOS 7D Mark II manuals and CDs) I received a beat up manual. They obviously lost or resold my original pristine manuals and CDs! They were fair honoring the stated value per the on-line quote, I just wouldn't ever send them anything that I might want back eventually.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

Last year an order has been placed in B&H online store with my visa card number. I have never myself placed this order so I consider it a fraud attempt. According to my bank statement, the order was placed on June 30, 2016, and the amount was 586.16 USD (=547.02 €). Even more surprising, on July 4, 2016, my bank account was credited with the same amount in dollars (but only 525.99 €), as if the order had been canceled. Determined to find the culprit of this offense, I emailed B&H two times to request a copy of invoice, which should reveal the identity and address of the wrongdoer. But I never received any reply from B&H consumer service which obviously doesn't care at all.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I ordered a piano bench and metronome. The metronome was bent. The piano bench came in a box that was opened. The bench was broken beyond repair. The seat was torn. The inside (it's a storage bench) was mutilated. The hardware was mangled and it didn't open and close properly. The hardware that holds it open was mangled. I sent pictures, immediately, to BH. The bench is heavy for me, as I had surgery and I can't carry it. I told them this. They insisted that I bring it to a UPS store, to their store or lug it downstairs and wait all day for UPS to pick it up (as I don't have a doorman). If I'd been able to carry it, I would have picked it up from the store in the first place.

Any reputable company will tell you to throw it out and they'll send you a replacement. Not BH. After thousands of dollars and years of buying from them, despite the fact that they're pretty nasty and dismissive in the store, I'm through. Everything's fine until something goes wrong. Then, you're out of luck. Furthermore, this isn't the 80s. They don't have the best prices like decades ago.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I was told by B&H Photo Video that my check for the items I sold them was sent the 20th of July via USPS. I checked with them today the 24th looking for what happened to my check and was told that I needed to allow 3 weeks for delivery. Since when does it take 3 weeks to send an envelope via USPS. I will not be doing further business with this dealer... Unfortunately I spent over $800 on equipment from them in the last couple of weeks.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Do not do business with these people!!! I have purchased two Apple Watches from them and when I opened the boxes there was nothing in them whatsoever! They refuse to give me back my money unless I file a police report where there is nothing the local police can do since I am in Florida and they are in NY! Never do business with them! Customer service is a joke and they don't even stand behind the customer whatsoever!

Original review: July 18, 2017

I placed an order earlier today. Then received an email with no explanation that the order was cancelled. Then a 45-minute call with Barry to find that you needed my P.O. Box zip, instead of my home zip code. Followed by a 25 minute chat session trying to confirm the order, unsuccessfully. Followed by another 60 minute chat with Dave ** trying to explain that there are two zip codes - one for home [**], one for PO box [**] to no avail. He was unable/unwilling to provide this information to your verification department, and insisted many times that my bank denied the cc transaction. I requested the name of a human person that I could email the information to [as I was in a telephone conference. Five requests for a human contact name, then 5 requests for the corporate CEO's name and email contact.].

My order then received two emails, one confirming, then one again cancelling the order. My bank confirmed that they did not deny the transaction, but your company provided the wrong zip multiple times. I need the cell phone due to my old one damaged while I'm away from home. Your c/s stinks. I requested your corporate office email. He refused. Look at the chat logs - it was a complete waste of time. I will never recommend your company due to your lousy c/s time wasting and refusing to provide contact [your Contact Us] info [easily available via internet]. Your company better ensure that you process a credit for the charges you made to my cc, or deliver the product I ordered. I manage a c/s group and I'd be fired for this lousy service.

Original review: July 10, 2017

May I implore everyone who reads this to NOT do business with these people. They will place an image of an item For Sale to the consumer, and they WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY very quickly, and THAT's about where it ends. They will THEN send you an email telling you that they are not ACTUALLY in possession of said item, and that now they have to go to someone else to see if they can purchase it for you. They talk vaguely about suppliers. They tell you that it could be 14 days or longer IF you ever hope to see the item you have purchased at ALL. I'm still waiting. They took my money. I have nothing to show for it. Their customer service is RUDE, UNSYMPATHETIC and NON EXISTENT as far as their wanting to solve problems in a timely manner. These are charlatans to avoid!!! BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: June 27, 2017

I purchased a new item for my personal use. I returned it unopened. It took them 5 business days to check the package in, 7 including the weekend, another 2 business days to issue a refund to Paypal. Now get this. It is now business day 4 since they refunded my Paypal balance, and the funds have still not cleared and have not been deposited in my Paypal balance. So in total that is 13 days! I have chatted, called and emailed my dissatisfaction. They just do not care! Steer clear of this New York company. You are better off buying locally and paying a little more.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I purchased a Cyberpower Computer from B&H Photo as a gift for my son. Within three weeks of my purchase, I started to experience problems with the computer. When I called B&H Photo, the customer service I received was so unprofessional. The company told me that they could not help me and that I needed to call the manufacturer. Over the next few weeks, I started to experience many issues with the computer, and when I called B&H Photo again, they proudly told me that because it was 30 days after my purchase, that the purchase was final. The company said that they are not responsible for my defective computer. Since then, my computer has been basically a "lemon". I am in the middle of disputing my charge with my credit card company.

During this dispute, B&H Photo has provided false information to my credit card company stating that they have called and e-mailed me trying to settle the dispute with me. This is incorrect. This company is the worst and most unprofessional company that I have ever dealt with. I would never recommend that anyone purchase any item from this company. I rated this company with one star because the web page would not allow me to rate with no stars. Worst customer service ever.

Original review: June 13, 2017

I ordered a pair of the new Sony Platinum wireless headset and it was broken when it arrived. Not to mention their return and exchange policy requires you to pay the shipping and handling to send it back to them. So I paid an extra $15.91 to send them back a broken headset. Even the UPS store was shocked.

Original review: June 12, 2017

Last Thursday I called B&H Photo to order a computer. As I needed it the next day, I wanted to see if I should order online or over the phone. The sales person specifically told me that if I needed it the next day that I should deal with him as he could make sure that happened. I accept his advice. Bad decision. At the end of the order process I was asked for my email which I provided. For some reason unknown to me, they decided to verify the order before shipping. My credit card was approved, it was just some internal procedure. I was not available by phone until the next day. When the computer did not arrive I tried calling but that was at 2:10 (app) and they were closed. They close at 2 on Fridays.

I never received an email about this particular order as the salesperson made a mistake when he wrote down my email. Long story short, I am scheduled to receive the computer tomorrow, 4 days after I needed it and 4 days after I was assured I would receive it. In hindsight I would have been far better off not dealing with the salesperson and ordering it myself online. I wasted a lot of time.

Original review: June 8, 2017

I purchased a refurb camera from B&H that was in open box condition. When camera arrived it appeared heavily used with huge scratch on bottom and letters worn completely off buttons. This was definitely not open box condition. I took a photo to test shutter count and it was at around 2500 with copyright information in there from a previous photographer. To make matters worse I test the camera out and it was shooting soft and out of focus. I called B&H and told them my situation and that I needed a replacement asap since I have a assignment coming up in a couple weeks. They told me to buy another one and ship the defective one back. So I purchased a brand new one which seems fine, although they have had my defective camera now for 5 days and still no refund.

It also shows that it was delivered there UPS, although when I check status of return on B&H website, it shows it has not been received. I called them up two times already and they have an attitude like they don't care and have even hanged up on me. Next is BBB if I don't receive my money. What comes around goes around. Don't start no ** and there won't be no **.

B&H Photo Company Information