B&H Photo

B&H Photo

4.0/5 (1120 ratings)

About B&H Photo

B&H Photo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about B&H Photo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about B&H Photo-Video?

Original review: June 8, 2022

I attempted to order a laptop from this company. There was a large flashing banner at the top of the site which stated that if I ordered in the next 4 hours my item would be delivered in 2 days. I then paid extra for next day shipping. My order was confirmed via email and a pending charge was posted to my credit card. The next day I still had not received shipping information and the confirmation said that someone would be required to sign for the package, so I attempted to chat with a CS rep on their website. I was told that my order had been "flagged for verification" and that he is not able to provide any further information, and that I had to call their verification department who is only available limited business hours and only by phone.

I called, and was told I was being transferred to the proper department, however the person I was sent to said he did not work in that department and that he couldn't provide any further information. I would just have to wait for them to call me, with no inkling of when that might happen. In the meantime they posted an additional 4 unauthorized charges on my credit card for "verification purposes". After wasting 40 minutes speaking to three individuals none of whom could provide any information, and then waiting an additional several hours for the super secret department to contact me I canceled the order through their website. Less than 5 minutes later I was called by someone attempting to "verify" my order, despite it being past the time the package was to be delivered it had not even begun to be processed for shipping.

Original review: May 12, 2022

AWFUL experience. They sent me a defective laptop and told me their policy is no returns for opened computers regardless if it is defective upon receipt. Never again will I buy from someone without checking return policy. I'll stick with tried and true companies.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

I ordered a phone from B&H Photo in June 2021 and they used FedEx to deliver the phone to me. On June 9th Fedex claimed they had delivered to phone to me but when I received the email confirmation I was in my office waiting for the phone to arrive. The phone was never delivered to me but FedEx said a person named Vicki received the phone on my behalf. I was the only person working at my office so it was not possible someone could sign for the phone on my behalf. I notified both FedEx and B&H Photo right away informing them that the phone had not been delivered to me.

I spoke to a CSR at FedEx and he advised me to file a claim for the lost item so I did but when they received the claim request they said the sender had to file for the claim. I turned to B&H Photo CSR and they said they would look into it. Back and forth five times, B&H Photo said FedEx declined their claim a few times already and there was nothing they could do to help me. I could not believe it because it was their hired courier who did not do their job and I had to suffer the loss?

I filed my complaint to BBB and it did not do a thing for me and the result remained the same. I just find it hard to believe that a merchant can be so irresponsible. I did not hire FedEx to courier the phone to me and B&H Photo did. When FedEx did not fulfill its mandate B&H Photo did not take responsibility to go after FedEx and I had to spend months doing so. Something is utterly not right that I have to swallow the loss of the phone because the courier company B&H Photo hired to fulfill my online order. It is absolutely ridiculous and I have never encountered a merchant like that.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

Health issues have wiped out my life savings and forced me into bankruptcy last month..It became necessary to start selling my possessions..Due to the fact I can no longer hold a camera they were the first to go..I contact B & H and they offered me $3400 for my Nikon gear..I shipped everything out to them on Jan, 4th in two boxes. Within a week I received a check delivered to my house for $75.00 for the one box. I was pleased..Then I didn't receive the big check for all the rest of the equipment..The nightmare began. It took another week for someone to look at the equipment..Then a few days later I was told that 3 of the lens were defective and they could only pay me $1550..and they would return the 3 lenses to me..One of the lenses was new in a box ad never used, one was in the box with all of the paperwork and hardly ever used. I sadly accept the offer.

On the 24th I was told the check went out but I never received it. They stopped payment and then sent out another check with the lenses. Another week goes by and I find out that the box was sent to the old address that I haven't lived in in 6 years..They blamed me for giving them the wrong address even though the first check was mailed to my correct address. I asked them to cancel that check and do a wire transfer, they refused.

In my desperate need for money. I paid someone to go to my former home and try to get the box..Then ship it to me. The second check was canceled and I was told a new one would be sent fed ex overnight. So now I am out of pocket $60 to get my box picked up and shipped. I also have 4 bounced checks so far that cost me $140..with more to come..I asked to get compensated and they laughed at me..It is now Feb 8th and I still have not received my check..I have had issues with other companies but these lying creeps win the award for the worst ever.. Try Adorama. There are a class company!!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

If you plan to order electronics or any sort of gadgets from this store, if you will ask me (a verified customer who bought a USD 1000 item), DO NOT BUY FROM THIS STORE! They will just take your money without you ever receiving your package you ordered online. If ever your packages get lost, they won’t take the customer’s side and would just yield to whatever the carrier (FedEx) says. They won’t listen to your pleas as customers! In my experience, as I was communicating my issue to their customer service through the chat on their website, they just abruptly ended our transcript! How could they just do that as “Newsweek’s One of the Best Customer Services.” Go get your money’s worth by just buying an to alternative store and not this one. What a joke!

Update as of January 6 10:35 pm (EST). While B&H reached out to me because of this review, they still have not taken any concrete action to help me recover the missing Macbook that I purchased from them. As the shipper and seller, B&H Photo is duty-bound to ensure the safe and complete delivery of the item to its customer. Instead, B&H Photo just kept on blaming the warehouse (freight forwarder) but did not even offer me, its customer, a replacement nor a refund for the product I paid since they know fully well that I did not receive the item. They did not offer any explanation why they would not hold their freight partner, Fedex, responsible for the loss. They would rather let their innocent customer suffer the loss.

This horrific experience I had with B&H Photo is far far different from my transaction with a leading online store in America who has better customer service and will surely get you covered if you encounter this type of problem. I highly suggest to all of you to just shop at trusted online chains so you’ll definitely have a peace of mind on your package actually reaching you. Make sure that you filter out the reviews well since there is an ongoing issue of fake reviews in online stores. Thank you B&H Photo for the miserable holiday you’ve caused me and for the worst online shopping experience ever! When the holidays come by again, think twice before buying from B&H Photo! I stand by my previous review that B&H Photo does not deserve even a single star.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

I'm a professional photographer and long time B&H customer but don't trust them anymore. Five years ago they sold me a gray market Nikon camera and only told me that it was "open box." Just discovered this because I sent the camera for repair but they wouldn't repair it because it was not a Nikon USA product. Called B&H customer service several times and spoke with several customer service managers, all of whom refused to remedy the situation. Will now avoid ordering through B&H, as they're not to be trusted, both in terms of honestly representing the products nor in fairly resolving issues.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

Even though they boast about matching lower prices, they refused to match a legitimate price I had found. Salesman did the research and said it qualified, but his "Manager" refused to match it. I've been a loyal customer for many years. Great way to end a relationship!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

I been their loyal customer for ten years. Purchased gear from them that worth over 10,000$. I even enjoyed their store in New York. Recently I purchased equipment worth over 2000$ for the year 2021. I have to return a product that worth 25$. The problem is their customer service was rude. I have no problem returning the 25$ product paying the shipping fee..but they want me to return the product in original box that costs me twice the value of the product and there is no apology or sorry from customer service. They where like you are responsible for return..return it. Guess what I am no longer referring the product service nor purchasing any future products for them. I rather buy from Amazon who offers products for similar price and have much much better service. I wanted to help B&H as they are not big chain like Best Buy or Amazon. So that's be it..you better be respectful or lose a customer.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

Why would you place DRONE WORKS in your wording, when you Clearly aren't affiliated with DRONE WORKS? That's pretty lame business practices, considering I've been self employed for 35 years, and you've got to rely on another company to bring you business in? I will NEVER buy from you, nor do I hope anyone else will considering what you've done!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I personally have bought and traded in used items at B&H for a decade, 10 years, many thousands of dollars. My family and friends have all shopped at this place due to my recommendation, but I am done recommending anyone do future business with them. They had their chance to get their act together, but all that happens now, is management throws customer service a script to deal with me while they run away like cowards, refusing to deal with me because they can't deal with people, apparently. The last time I spoke with management in person, they were disrespectful, condescending, rude, and he even called me poor. I am IT management, I make good money, I know how to talk to people, and he made a big mistake with his behavior.

It all started when I emailed about trading in a Reverb G2 that I preordered from them, and they took months to ship it out, and it turns out I cannot use the headset because it doesn't fit me correctly. No big deal, I thought, I will just trade it in for some money from B&H like I always did, because there was never a huge issue in the past, unlike now.

I emailed them listing the one item and received the generic reply, obviously not written by a human being. "Unfortunately, we have no market for, or are currently overstocked with the items you wish to sell. Subsequently, at this time we are unable to purchase the equipment which you have listed." On their website, as of this writing, there are two G2 headsets in the used department, and it is also listed at full price. What do you mean, "no market"? You are selling it new and used. It is also impossible to be overstocked, as not that many have been made in the first place. So I went further to ask questions and to get an answer from a human being.

His answer to my question was, "Sometimes the items are just there." A total avoidance and not an answer at all. Then he offered to buy it for $150, 25% of its worth (it retails for $600!). I asked him to explain that low offer. His answer? "Either take it, or leave it, I don't care, or keep the headset. No one's buying that stupid thing for more money anyway. The Quest 2 sells way better for us. I’m sorry, but that is how it is. Maybe you shouldn't have bought it if it didn't fit". Interesting. There's nowhere to go to try the G2 on and see how it looks and fits in the first place.

I already know what people might say, sell it on eBay, or Facebook Marketplace etc.; where I could list it for $300 and someone might buy it at that price. I doubt they will. Since for $300 or so, anyone can just get a Facebook Oculus Quest 2 and be done. The G2 requires a $1000+ desktop gaming computer to run on top of its $600 price. I already see people saying that to me, and probably the best I could get for it on eBay or Facebook is a measly $200 because it requires an expensive PC to run. I am basically stuck with trying to make it more comfortable, so I can use it for my flight and racing simulators.

This, and the other negative experiences I had interacting with management, has forced me to reconsider doing any further business with them. What he basically told me is that it is my fault that the thing I bought doesn't fit properly, and he wanted to basically cheat me by taking it for 1/4 its value, and sell it for 3 times that. That is immensely crooked. I hope this look into how the people at B&H Photo treat you when you have been a customer for any length of time helps you reach a decision. They really need to treat their customers (and their employees too, I sense something wrong because “a fish rots from the head down”) better. As for me, I will buy my electronics elsewhere from now on.

B&H Photo Company Information