B&H Photo

B&H Photo

3.9/5 (626 ratings)

About B&H Photo

B&H Photo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about B&H Photo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about B&H Photo-Video?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2022

If you plan to order electronics or any sort of gadgets from this store, if you will ask me (a verified customer who bought a USD 1000 item), DO NOT BUY FROM THIS STORE! They will just take your money without you ever receiving your package you ordered online. If ever your packages get lost, they won’t take the customer’s side and would just yield to whatever the carrier (FedEx) says. They won’t listen to your pleas as customers! In my experience, as I was communicating my issue to their customer service through the chat on their website, they just abruptly ended our transcript! How could they just do that as “Newsweek’s One of the Best Customer Services.” Go get your money’s worth by just buying an to alternative store and not this one. What a joke!

Update as of January 6 10:35 pm (EST). While B&H reached out to me because of this review, they still have not taken any concrete action to help me recover the missing Macbook that I purchased from them. As the shipper and seller, B&H Photo is duty-bound to ensure the safe and complete delivery of the item to its customer. Instead, B&H Photo just kept on blaming the warehouse (freight forwarder) but did not even offer me, its customer, a replacement nor a refund for the product I paid since they know fully well that I did not receive the item. They did not offer any explanation why they would not hold their freight partner, Fedex, responsible for the loss. They would rather let their innocent customer suffer the loss.

This horrific experience I had with B&H Photo is far far different from my transaction with a leading online store in America who has better customer service and will surely get you covered if you encounter this type of problem. I highly suggest to all of you to just shop at trusted online chains so you’ll definitely have a peace of mind on your package actually reaching you. Make sure that you filter out the reviews well since there is an ongoing issue of fake reviews in online stores. Thank you B&H Photo for the miserable holiday you’ve caused me and for the worst online shopping experience ever! When the holidays come by again, think twice before buying from B&H Photo! I stand by my previous review that B&H Photo does not deserve even a single star.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2021

I'm a professional photographer and long time B&H customer but don't trust them anymore. Five years ago they sold me a gray market Nikon camera and only told me that it was "open box." Just discovered this because I sent the camera for repair but they wouldn't repair it because it was not a Nikon USA product. Called B&H customer service several times and spoke with several customer service managers, all of whom refused to remedy the situation. Will now avoid ordering through B&H, as they're not to be trusted, both in terms of honestly representing the products nor in fairly resolving issues.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2021

Even though they boast about matching lower prices, they refused to match a legitimate price I had found. Salesman did the research and said it qualified, but his "Manager" refused to match it. I've been a loyal customer for many years. Great way to end a relationship!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2021

I been their loyal customer for ten years. Purchased gear from them that worth over 10,000$. I even enjoyed their store in New York. Recently I purchased equipment worth over 2000$ for the year 2021. I have to return a product that worth 25$. The problem is their customer service was rude. I have no problem returning the 25$ product paying the shipping fee..but they want me to return the product in original box that costs me twice the value of the product and there is no apology or sorry from customer service. They where like you are responsible for return..return it. Guess what I am no longer referring the product service nor purchasing any future products for them. I rather buy from Amazon who offers products for similar price and have much much better service. I wanted to help B&H as they are not big chain like Best Buy or Amazon. So that's be it..you better be respectful or lose a customer.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2021

Why would you place DRONE WORKS in your wording, when you Clearly aren't affiliated with DRONE WORKS? That's pretty lame business practices, considering I've been self employed for 35 years, and you've got to rely on another company to bring you business in? I will NEVER buy from you, nor do I hope anyone else will considering what you've done!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I personally have bought and traded in used items at B&H for a decade, 10 years, many thousands of dollars. My family and friends have all shopped at this place due to my recommendation, but I am done recommending anyone do future business with them. They had their chance to get their act together, but all that happens now, is management throws customer service a script to deal with me while they run away like cowards, refusing to deal with me because they can't deal with people, apparently. The last time I spoke with management in person, they were disrespectful, condescending, rude, and he even called me poor. I am IT management, I make good money, I know how to talk to people, and he made a big mistake with his behavior.

It all started when I emailed about trading in a Reverb G2 that I preordered from them, and they took months to ship it out, and it turns out I cannot use the headset because it doesn't fit me correctly. No big deal, I thought, I will just trade it in for some money from B&H like I always did, because there was never a huge issue in the past, unlike now.

I emailed them listing the one item and received the generic reply, obviously not written by a human being. "Unfortunately, we have no market for, or are currently overstocked with the items you wish to sell. Subsequently, at this time we are unable to purchase the equipment which you have listed." On their website, as of this writing, there are two G2 headsets in the used department, and it is also listed at full price. What do you mean, "no market"? You are selling it new and used. It is also impossible to be overstocked, as not that many have been made in the first place. So I went further to ask questions and to get an answer from a human being.

His answer to my question was, "Sometimes the items are just there." A total avoidance and not an answer at all. Then he offered to buy it for $150, 25% of its worth (it retails for $600!). I asked him to explain that low offer. His answer? "Either take it, or leave it, I don't care, or keep the headset. No one's buying that stupid thing for more money anyway. The Quest 2 sells way better for us. I’m sorry, but that is how it is. Maybe you shouldn't have bought it if it didn't fit". Interesting. There's nowhere to go to try the G2 on and see how it looks and fits in the first place.

I already know what people might say, sell it on eBay, or Facebook Marketplace etc.; where I could list it for $300 and someone might buy it at that price. I doubt they will. Since for $300 or so, anyone can just get a Facebook Oculus Quest 2 and be done. The G2 requires a $1000+ desktop gaming computer to run on top of its $600 price. I already see people saying that to me, and probably the best I could get for it on eBay or Facebook is a measly $200 because it requires an expensive PC to run. I am basically stuck with trying to make it more comfortable, so I can use it for my flight and racing simulators.

This, and the other negative experiences I had interacting with management, has forced me to reconsider doing any further business with them. What he basically told me is that it is my fault that the thing I bought doesn't fit properly, and he wanted to basically cheat me by taking it for 1/4 its value, and sell it for 3 times that. That is immensely crooked. I hope this look into how the people at B&H Photo treat you when you have been a customer for any length of time helps you reach a decision. They really need to treat their customers (and their employees too, I sense something wrong because “a fish rots from the head down”) better. As for me, I will buy my electronics elsewhere from now on.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I've shopped at B&H for decades and purchased thousands everything from large, medium, digital formats. I purchased a "10 good as new" thread adapter with leather case in box by internet order. I noted the leather case was missing and immediately contacted them within 2 days. They were nice enough to offer a partial refund for me to keep the product since they were not able to resupply a case. The partial refund was made and the statement states refund. However, they claimed a restock fee equal to the tax collection on that refunded amount and this was not returned to me. I have had other purchase that a complete refund with the complete tax returned to me, so does not seem proper to me. They refused to return the tax on the refunded amount and labeled it as a restock fee in the same exact amount despite there was no restock that occurred.

I had purchased a high end lens before by internet and the finder was missing from the set despite being prima fascia listed as included on the description. I had to physically ask for it at the used counter and it was "found on someone's desk". There was a high end camera body I purchased prior which also had an included item missing from it. This is the third incident with an online purchase and I think they are pulling items from the products despite listed as included. Keeping the refunded amount's taxes seems very improper, as I have had full returns with the tax before and even without their "restock fee".

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I was always told B&H Photo-Video was THE go-to store for camera equipment. WRONG. Throughout my very 1st major buy from B&H, I experienced one of the most frustrating, screwed up, incompetence-riddled, drawn out experiences of my life. It started when I made a fairly large purchase of about $2,000. Two of the cameras seemed like they had been opened, so I returned them: 2 Olympus TG-6 waterproof cameras—1 black & 1 red. The refund to my credit card for the purchase of the black one went off w/o a problem... However, regarding the red one, as of today (date 9/2/21), the money for that camera has YET to be refunded to my credit card—although it was received by B&H nearly three weeks ago (8/16/21).

I have made about 20 phone calls to B&H. And each time I’ve been told: “there’s a problem of some kind, I’ll have to check” (no callback), “It should be coming soon,” “Definitely within the next 48 hours,” “that’s still in process,” etc. etc. etc. For nearly 2 weeks, the camera wasn’t even showing as having been returned. I called multiple times & no one knew what was going on. Finally, I found out that although FedEx had indeed delivered it (signed for), B&H apparently LOST the camera/package somewhere between the shipping dept. & the returns dept. And I only found this out after 2 weeks when they FINALLY informed me that I needed to sign an “Affidavit” to be emailed to me, which would declare that I had indeed returned the camera (even though FedEx was showing that it had been delivered). Then came the comedic farce involving me actually receiving (or rather, never receiving) the “Affidavit” via email.

• When I called on Fri. 8/27, I was told it would be sent by Sun 8/29. —Never came.
    • When I called on Monday 8/30, I was told it would be sent by the end of the day. —Never came.
    • When I called on Wednesday 9/1, I was told by the CS rep that no one knew why the “Affidavit” hadn’t been sent out to me, but that it would “definitely” be sent to me by the end of the day because that CS rep was going to personally walk over to that dept. & have them send it. —Never came.

• When I called on Thursday 9/2, I was told that there had been some confusion over the RED camera vs the BLACK camera. They saw that the BLACK camera had been refunded, so no one bothered to send me any Affidavit for the other camera. I was then told FOR SURE that it would be taken care... But it’d still take another 48-hours (or “maybe just 24-hours”), to get the Affidavit sent to me. Then, once they received that back & had reviewed it, the refund process would be started. But actually getting the refund credited would take another 7-10 business days...

ARE YOU ** kidding me? So, now I’ve had to file a “stop payment” fraud investigation “payment dispute” with my credit card company!!! Now B&H can deal with them. I’m done. What’s really shocking is that I told the CS rep that I was going to do file such a complaint with my credit card company and if they didn’t want that to happen, then a manager could call me back to resolve it ASAP. —No one has called. GET YOUR CAMERA EQUIPMENT SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN B&H, which apparently, I now know, stands for **&Hassle. I’M NEVER BUYING FROM THEM AGAIN (But at least I’ve been getting 3-4 email marketing/advertising announcements from them every day).

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

When I ordered a product from B&H Photo that didn't work, I asked the manager for a refund, and he mentioned the no refund policy. I explained to him that the product didn't work, forcing me to buy the product somewhere else as well, the manager wasn't understanding at all....in fact he was kind of rude about it. I'm NOT EVEN MAD ABOUT NOT GETTING A REFUND, BUT BY HOW THE MANAGER TREATED ME WHEN I ASKED FOR ONE. That manager should think about his approach and how he comes across before responding to a customer’s concern. I was polite the way I presented myself, he should’ve done the same.... especially at a CUSTOMER SERVICE job.

Original review: June 29, 2021

Ordered a Fujifilm gf lens, used Citi bank credit card, hit enter. All of a sudden a B&H PHOTO/SYNCHRONY BANK credit card was reopened, ok it will save me $200, lens comes damaged. Customer service sucked so I canceled order, fujifilm also had a $500 rebate, I called back. Recorded and like always I have camera stuff shipped next day air, lens sat at bh for days, so I ordered from Adorama. I had sent damaged lens right back, bh received in couple of days, but now

B&H PHOTO/SYNCHRONY BANK is charging me interest, customer service could care less from both B&H PHOTO/SYNCHRONY BANK. If they would look at my history I have spent $$$$ with these **. No more after 20 years.

B&H Photo Company Information