2.34/5

398 B&H Photo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Usually, I have had a very good selling experience but this time I got a quote for slightly over $2K for excellent photography equipment. Now I have repeatedly sent emails, they tell me they're investigating but NO CHECK. They have probably sold the camera and lens at a significant profit and I still have not been paid. Their holidays have interfered with their work, but that's no excuse. Sellers MUST BE PAID IN A TIMELY FASHION.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I've returned an item to B&H almost a month ago; the item was a Canon lens I've not used AT ALL, just opened the box and that's it. Didn't even mount it on my camera. The package was delivered and signed for on the 26th of September, and even though I've emailed them about 3 times now, I haven't received my refund, nor do the order details state that they've received the item. Luckily, I have proof of them signing for it. Disappointed to say the least. I've purchased another lens quickly after the first one, but needless to say I will not buy from them ever again.

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I ordered a new Nikon camera body. On receiving and opening the shipping box I find a damaged dirty product box and sensor. I initially contact BH to question them on the item as it was clear that the product was new as listed. "Was it previously sold and returned?" I am assured that I am the only ever owner. I decide to keep item as it looks to be fine but find in use that this new product needs the sensor cleaned. I contact BH once again and they tell me to clean the sensor. I contact again to get their recommended procedure for cleaning sensors on new cameras and am told that I should not have to clean sensor and can return or sent for warranty service to Nikon. I return due to the initially question that I was sent a previously sold and returned item. I am a month and a half into this process and have still have not had this resolved. How much longer can this go on?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I’m a wedding photographer, & recently out of nowhere my flash stopped working. So I needed to quickly order a new flash for an upcoming wedding, with expedited shipping. It’s now the day it’s supposed to be here, & it still hasn’t even shipped yet. The wedding’s on Saturday, and all customer service could tell me is that it will be here sometime next week. I’m now out of a flash for this wedding, when I’m relying on photographing weddings to pay the bills. They’re quick to have already taken the money out of my account, but can’t even hold true to their word & ship it on time. Their prices are awesome, but not worth the stress. If you have the choice, go with Amazon Prime.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I write this review on 4 Oct 18 in respect of an purchase order made with B&H on 3 Sep 18 for shipping camera accessories to Hong Kong. Nobody could probably imagine that the accessories have not yet delivered and I still do not know if I would receive them. Of course, B&H has already charged me. The followings are sequences of events supported by order record and email correspondences in my possession: 3 Sep 18 - order made at B&H for shipping the accessories to Hong Kong via DHL. 8 Sep 18 - the package (i.e. the accessories) stopped moving as shown by DHL online tracking with last location at Germany.

17 Sep 18 - it was 10th day after the accessories stopped moving, I emailed B&H for their assistance. B&H took no initiative to check with DHL and merely replied me that the package should be on their way. 21 Sep 18 - no movement of the package, and B&H closed until 3 Oct 18. Whereas my emails to B&H resulting in responses like "please email again on 3 Oct 18", the computer system of B&H sent me an email inviting me to review the accessories.

From 20 Sep 18 to 2 Oct 18 - I had contacts with DHL and post office of Hong Kong, resulting in written correspondences suggesting the loss of the package. 3 Oct 18 - I forwarded the aforesaid correspondences to B&H with requests including the reshipment of the accessories. Without any legal basis, B&H kept delaying such legitimate request on the excuse that they need to finish the claim with DHL. B&H could not answer the question why the customer should suffer from the dealing between them and the courier.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about B&H Photo-Video?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

It's great when you order something, online, and it comes in a timely manner and what you ordered arrives, as expected. B&H is great to work with, and easy. I love EASY!! I go online, order what I need, and it arrives in a few days, no fuss, no muss, no delays, tracking of packages, or trouble. They have been easy to work with, since the beginning. I started ordering from B&H about 9 months ago, and it's been an awesome experience. The packaging is sufficient to protect the order, without being excessive. Thank you B&H for being awesome!!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I wrote my first review on September 1, 2018. What a lot of you may not know is the entire month of September is like navigating a minefield of religious holidays. So if you have a problem, you are kinda SOL. I ordered my item August 24th. FedEx drove past my house on August 31th. I picked it up from Walgreens on Friday the 1st only to discover it was delivered in pieces. Had to wait 3 days to talk to someone. Finally sent my return the day after Labor Day on September 4th. Henry ** in their customer service department exchanged several offers and count offers. His first offer was a return and exchange or full refund if I PAY THEM $150 to RESTOCK A BROKEN PRODUCT. I said no, we finally agreed on store credit.

They received my return on Wednesday the 13th because of course they were off on the 10th and 11th. I sent an email asking if it was processed, they said unfortunately it has not been processed. That was on Friday the 12th, I asked would it be done before their next holiday from September 18th-20th? They said, "Yes, it will be processed before our next holiday closure." I emailed them yesterday, and asked again. Now they are say it will definitely be processed before their next closure on 9/24. Keep in mind folks that 18th and 19th they are closed. The 20th is a full day, the 21st is a half day, the 22nd they are closed, the 23rd is a half day and they are closed from September 24th - October 2nd.

So tomorrow is the last day for them to process my return. Before I'm looking at a mid October delivery of a replacement product. Even if by some modern day miracle my refund is processed tomorrow I still would not have my new order processed UNTIL the 20th. Which means they would have to process and ship before they close early on Friday, before I have to wait all the way until October 2nd for them to ship. September 24th will be 4 weeks, after October 2nd I am looking at nearly 6 weeks to see any sort of resolution to this. This is a pretty important piece of equipment I bought and now BH is costing me money.

Moral of the story NEVER EVER ORDER from this TERRIBLE company. Convoluted return policy. Never ending holiday schedule. Obscure not west coast friendly hours. FedEx takes their sweet time. This has been a freaking nightmare. Buy from Amazon. 2 day shipping, on the ball customer service and employees who actually care about the customer. Instead of just saying sorry a million times, Amazon finds solutions. BH just creates more problems. They need to be better. But I truly hope for all my fellow professionals out there, that you never entrust your business needs to a company that puts you dead last.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I called them to find out if Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR lens is compatible to the Nikon D90. After the B&H rep put me on hold to obtain a confirmation, he returned with a definitive "Yes". I placed an order for the lens immediately. Subsequently, my friend sent me an advise directly from Nikon and an article from PC Mag, both indicating that the lens is NOT compatible to the D90. I immediately called B&H back, but was told that the item has shipped. 2 weeks now have passed since they charged my credit card and received the lens, returned, and I still have not received a credit. What has happened to the B&H that I have been loyal to for decades????

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Back in the early 80s, I ordered Nikon camera and lenses from B&H Photo because they were top rated by Popular Photography Magazine. So deciding to get back into photography again, I remembered the fantastic service I had back in the 80s. So when I was looking for a Nikon D7500 and lenses, I saw that B&H was still in business. I used their website to order my new camera. It was a simple process. Their prices are great and since I was ordering a bundle, I received a case and 32GB SD card for free. Along with free next day FedEx shipping. I am completely satisfied with the service I received and will definitely order from them again. Wonderful job guys.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

YN685 flash under warranty, B&H, Yongnuo nor Gradus Corp will move ahead to replace the item. Extremely poor customer service and will drag out the phone conversation out knowing they will not help you. I will never buy from them again. Clearly they will pass you from one place to another.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I've been a customers of B&H Photo for almost 2 decades. These days shipping and returns and with what Amazon and Walmart and other companies offer, they should try and keep up. Unfortunately that's not the case. It was a nightmare trying to return something. Keep in mind if this is what they do to a customer with 2 decades of 10s of 1000s of $s of shopping with them, what they would do to others. It's all nice and dandy when you've no returns. But once you get there, they will try and ignore you and give all sorts of excuse. To begin with they sold a crappy product and we were so annoyed esp, because we were on vacation in NY and decided to visit the store and purchase the product. The product wasn't working properly after few weeks. We tried to call them for return, and they refused to accept a damaged product just because we were missing the original box!!!

WTF! It's damaged! Either you're going to throw it away or send it back to the manufacturer and they surely don't care about the box. They had literally no concern at all. When I got here on ConsumerAffairs to review, I saw many had the same issues. They still haven't caught up with the online shopping style of Amazon, Walmart and many others. Such disrespect and don't care attitude. We will never ever shop at B&H Photo again. We can find everything somewhere else these days with excellent return policies. They should seriously change their return policies and how they treat customers or soon encounter slow online death of their business!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

As many other reviewers have noticed in an age where customer service should be a given, think Amazon, Walmart, etc. B&H has just abysmal customer service. I ordered a $400 sound bar and received a $20 tripod. It's been a week so far and I have made no progress getting this returned. They say I will eventually get a FedEx return tag but no details as to when but the also say that I have to close my PayPal complaint before they will consider processing a refund. Many others on here have stated that B&H is a fraudulent company and so far I have to agree. There is no reason to shop here, their customer service department is just a scam.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Today started out as such a happy and exciting day. My laptop that I ordered with overnight shipping was to arrive - hurray! As soon as I got it, I excitedly opened the package, only to discover that the 13" is way too small for my needs. I immediately contacted customer service to process my exchange for the exact same laptop, just the 15" version (which is more expensive). To my surprise, I was met with an unhelpful customer service agent who could only apologize for the inconvenience that my $2500 Macbook was non-returnable since I opened it. The thin sliver of plastic wrap has cost me $2500. I literally did not even open the laptop or turn it on. I simply wanted to exchange a brand new item for an upgraded version.

After escalating to another manager and eventually supposedly a PR executive, I was harassed and talked down to. It turns out, this company has a history of racism and discrimination against Hispanics and women. Coincidence? I just happen to be both. I am appalled that a business thinks it's ok to treat customers the way I was treated today. The final result was that I could return it for a 15% restocking fee, which comes to a whopping $360. I think I'm better off turning to Craigslist. All in all, this is by far the worst experience I've had shopping online in my life. The discounts are not worth the hassle. I promise you're better off buying from literally anywhere else.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Do I have a problem with B&H as a whole? Not exactly. Here is the problem, I usually purchase through Amazon for all my business needs. Free 2 day prime shipping, expanded customer service hours and most of the time the deal is right. Well I made the mistake of ordering through B&H because they had an item at the right price and it was in stock.

First of all, it ships from New York so straight out of the gate I am already looking at best it taking twice as long to get to me than Prime. It finally arrived BUT FedEx claimed that no one was home, my husband was. In fact it was his day off and he was waiting around for my package. Because unlike UPS FedEx demands a signature. So I signed up for FedEx pick up at the local Walgreens and I picked it up the next day. This is on Friday. I got it home, opened the box, popped open the case and I discovered that the expensive item I purchased was broken clean in half!!

Now I understand things happen. But the problem is that B&H operates on East Coast Bankers hours. They close at 2PM! TWO! IN THE AFTERNOON ON A FRIDAY!!! Which means if you have an issue on Friday on the West Coast you are ** out of luck! I sent them emails, wrote them on social media, made a couple un-boxing failure videos that I tagged them and Came-TV in. I have done everything a consumer can do because all I want is a resolution. I cannot get this resolved because they are open when they dang well feel like being open. I operate 24-7. I manage other companies' Social Media pages. I know that I am personally held accountable to respond to customers within a certain frame. Actually, the company I work for gets slapped with huge fines from corporate if we do not respond in a certain amount of time.

With that being said, I am looking at 24hrs so far and ZERO contact from Came-TV or B&H. So not only did I receive an inferior product that arrived broken, I also have no way of getting this resolved until they feel like opening again. Which is tomorrow. I could have gotten an apology, returned the product and have a replacement shipped by now from Amazon. Lesson here? Do not purchase from B&H. They do not have the customer support to compete with Amazon. Period.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I buy all my Apple products here. Same price and free shipping as ordering direct from Apple, but without sales tax. (Not yet anyway.) When my state starts charging sales tax, I’ll probably go back to buying refurbished products directly from Apple. One word of caution when buying any expensive products online — Be certain you order exactly what you want. Replacing damaged products is usually no problem, but if you order the wrong item by mistake, someone has to pay for that. If you’re buying an Apple product, and you’re not absolutely certain about your purchase, I suggest buying directly from Apple. They have a very liberal return policy. You can even return items directly to Apple Stores as long as you purchased them directly from Apple. I’ve bought several high priced items from B&H over the years, and saved hundreds in sales tax.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I'm done with B&H. Two times I've ordered a lens from them with their free expedited shipping option with a 3 business day guarantee and both times they were shipped FedEx Ground from New York to Los Angeles and received it in 5 business days. Why even have an expedited option if they’re not even going to ship it expedited. It's absolutely ridiculous. I'll take my money elsewhere to a company who is honest and doesn't bait & switch their customers.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I purchased an unlocked cell phone; when I received it, it was locked. I made many phone calls to B&H, Motorola, Sprint, etc. to find it was locked. B&H photo said, "Sorry, we don't have any more in that color and the other color is more money." I asked if they could send the exact same phone in any color for the same price and they said there is "nothing we can do about it". I said, "But there is something you can do about it," since I would not be in this situation if they had not sent the wrong locked phone in the first place. You can stand up to your reputation and fix it instead of trying to make me spend more money or find another phone. Bad experience.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

B&H offers unequalled selection with fast shipping on almost everything. In the VERY rare instance of a product or service issue resolution is fast and courteous. My experiences with them dating back to the '80's has been superb. As the technology of mail order shopping has evolved, so too has B&H with possibly the most pleasant online shopping experience available.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I ordered a Sigma 16mm lens through B&H on July 27 2018 in hopes to receive it by the next day being that I reside in Brooklyn, NY and B&H is in New York, NY. Today is now August 2 2018 and my package hasn’t shipped yet. I've made several calls (1 per day for four days) to only be told that my package will ship later on that day. Well it’s six days later and still my package hasn’t shipped. The lens was and is still in stock but somehow no one can give me an explanation to why my package hasn’t shipped. I’ve been patient and professional with all calls made to B&H but being told one thing and experiencing the total opposite is a bit upsetting. The only thing left is to cancel the order and take my business elsewhere.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Ordered a Canon Selphy printer, paper, and an extra USB cord. Huge letters on website - next day delivery on Wednesday. Great - going on vacation Thursday so I ordered it. At 6am it said out for delivery. When delivered in the afternoon cord only - no printer no paper. Looked at tracking - now shows delivery on Thursday and the printer was in NJ at 7:30 am not shipped not out for delivery. Spoke to BH - they said it was a FedEx mistake - no it wasn’t. It was in your warehouse on delivery day 2 states away. Rep says, "We are sorry." That’s it. Deceptive shipping dates, customer service that can easily lie to you. This used to be a good company but right now it sucks. Read the other complaints - they are all very similar. Beware! I am always trying to use small businesses but losers like this make me want to go back to Amazon. Thanks a lot B&H.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I chatted with B&H Photo for technical support before making my purchase. Items arrived on scheduled. Very good price. Excellent customer service. Quick refund for return item. I'll definitely do business again with B&H Photo.

Original review: July 25, 2018

B&H is used to be very respected store. So, when I decided to by Nikon D850 I went there. Well, I had to wait 2 months to get the item. Meanwhile, friends of mine who ordered from Amazon or Adorama got it in couple of weeks. Anyway, I was loyal customer and waited. Finally, after 2 months of waiting I got the package. Hallelujah. However, when I open it I got surprise. Wrong camera. Not even close. I called customer support and they said "Sorry, for mistake. However, Nikon D850 not in stock anymore."

Original review: July 25, 2018

Recently purchased some accessories for a camera that is on backorder. Had the accessories shipped to my home and realized I had received 3 memory cards instead of the 1 that I had ordered. The memory cards cost $229 each. I contacted B&H and explained that I had received extra merchandise. I also explained that legally I did not have to return the extra items that were sent to my home. I was being honest and was trying to do the right thing. The customer service rep emailed me a packing slip for FedEx and told me to drop the return package off at any FedEx location. I refused because I did not make the mistake and I wasn't about to go out of my way for them. I requested that they send out a package for me to put the items in and I could place in my mailbox to be shipped through the USPS. I was told that was not possible.

I was then asked by the rep if I could maybe flag a FedEx driver down in front of my house someday and give them the package. Yes, he seriously asked me this. I refused to agree to do such a thing. We ended the conversation by the rep telling me to send the package back whenever I get a chance... even if it takes me 3 months or more. So I hung up the phone and called back to speak with another customer service rep. Explained my situation. He asked to place my call on hold. I waited. He came back and told me that I would have to make arrangements with FedEx to come pick up the package at my home.

I was not happy with the way the customer service reps handled this situation. I did not mind placing the box into my mailbox to return their items but I refused to put out any effort to correct their mistake for them with FedEx. That's their job not mine. I have learned from this experience that it certainly does NOT pay to be honest with B&H. It would have been easier for me to keep the $460 worth of items they accidentally sent to me but I'm too honest. The rep even told me they would never have known I had received the items. They were not listed on my order form.

Do you know what I received from B&H for being honest and letting them know they sent me extra items? Nothing. Instead I had to drive 8 miles to the local FedEx drop off to send their package back to them. That's the thanks I get for being a B&H customer for the past 25+ years. I've spent many thousands and still have a camera on backorder worth a few more... B&H made me feel like a valued customer... they even let me do their job for them.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I live in a rural location so I have used B&H for several years. I used to be very satisfied with them, but things have gone downhill. I ordered a lens, paid for two day shipping and received it on time. However the lens was soft, so I returned it and the filter I had ordered for it. The order was received last Friday at 10:27am at their facility according to my tracking slip. So far my account does not show it was even received 4 business days later.

I contacted them via live chat yesterday and was told they would look into it. I checked back later and was told (and I have the chat transcript) that we had "spoken" earlier and that checking every few hours was not going to speed things up"! I had additional questions I was going to ask, but after that I simply told him there was no need to be snarky and ended the chat. Also, even though the lens was soft (I tried on two different bodies) I still had to pay return shipping. It will be my last order with them mainly because of the CS agent attitude. Sorry if I bothered someone who is supposedly there to help me...

Original review: July 23, 2018

Fantastic product (Huawei Laptop), flawless ordering and delivery, perfect price and shipping - what else could you ask for? Keep it up B&H, I used to just buy cameras back at your 18th Street location, way back when. You are now my go to for all things tech.

Original review: July 18, 2018

This computer (CyberPowerPC) is amazing. Starts right up, quick and easy to use. I have no problem with the computer itself and I would recommend this to anyone. Mouse and keyboard feels so good to your hands, they are both fantastic.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Placed an order on Wednesday morning for Next Day Air early AM. This was a present for my kid's birthday on Sunday. Figured, if something would go wrong, I would have time to reorder. Every item was in stock. Next day only memory card arrives out of entire order. I call customer support and they assure me that it was shipped, tracking information is not updated, and it will be probably delivered later same day. Couple hours later, surprisingly tracking number gets updated and order leaves the NJ warehouses. On Friday nothing gets delivered, to be fair that one was FedEx fault. I call customer support explain everything, and they assured me a replacement would be sent and delivered on Saturday.

Plus I asked to ship it to Home since it was Saturday. Comes Saturday, nothing. I spend hour and half driving by to work, thought maybe they shipped it there, but nothing. I come back home, nothing there. I check tracking number for replacement, still shows up being packed. The order was suppose to arrive 3 days ago, and now if they actually ship it on Monday, it will arrive on Tuesday almost full week. Birthday was of course ruined, altogether with BH and FedEx spent about 2 hours on chat and phone trying to resolve the problem.

And at the end got nothing delivered. BH customer support blamed everything on FedEx, and I would believe that FedEx made some mistake. But TWO orders in a row with NextDay Air early AM delivery, dont get delivered on time!!! In both cases orders would show up (on BH website) still being packed next day, instead of being on FedEx truck out for delivery. So don’t really buy this being all the FedEx fault. So if you are getting something that you need urgently and guaranteed, stick with Amazon.

Original review: July 13, 2018

DJI Spark - Always great to deal with, fair prices and extremely fast shipping without gouging consumers with extraordinarily high freight. Faithful customer here, no need to look further, I trust these guys and I don't trust very many companies anymore.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I ordered a gift of a guitar case but was unaware until just over the 30 day limit for returns, that it is the wrong size. I tried to exchange it for the correct size but they will not allow me to. What am I supposed to do with the wrong size guitar case? I will NEVER purchase from them again or suggest anyone else does. What happened to customer courtesy?

Original review: July 7, 2018

I purchased a Canon imageprograf Pro 4000s 44 inch large format inkjet printer from B&H; when I placed the order on June 25th 2018 there was a $800 rebate from Canon redeemable within 30 days after the purchase date. I also ordered accessories for the printer, and when I checked the status of the order a week later I found out that the printer was not shipped with the accessories so I contacted customer service. They explained to me that the printer was in back order and they would contact me within 48 hours; I received an email from B&H 10 days after I placed the order saying that unfortunately they don't have an expected delivery date as the printer is backordered by the manufacturer.

However, when I go to their website B&H is advertising that the availability of this printer is within 1 to 3 days. I don't think I will be getting my printer in time to claim my $800 rebate and since I don't have the serial number there is nothing I could do, for that reason I will cancel my order and return the accessories. Please don't buy anything from B&H unless you're willing to waste time and money when attempting to return items you can't use, this a nightmare I don't wish to anyone. I should have paid attention to the reviews.

B&H Photo Company Information