B&H Photo

B&H Photo

4.0/5 (679 ratings)

About B&H Photo

B&H Photo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about B&H Photo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about B&H Photo-Video?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

I am living overseas at the moment in Thailand. I ordered an iOS external mic for my iPhone online. Everything was processed fine after ordering and my bank card was debited. Then two days later I received an email saying that my order had been cancelled and that the purchase price had been refunded - no explanation or anything. From here the nightmare began. After numerous emails to the customer support people, I still haven’t been given a reason, so obviously I’m reluctant to re order and start the whole thing over again. If you’re an international purchaser, my advice is don’t waste your time with this company.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2022

Bought a Nikon A1000 camera and accessories for $600. Dropped the camera. Sent to Nikon for repair. They returned it saying they can't fix it because it is a grey market camera. Been in contact with B&H several times, they refuse to fix it or allow me to return it. I was not made aware that the camera was a grey market camera until now. How can a company sell a misleading product and refuse to stand behind the product they sold?

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: July 31, 2022

UPDATE: After asking B+W a second time for a reply, I received the following from them, hence 5 stars to B+W who recognized unit was defective and acted on it, and zero star if possible to B&H who didn’t do anything but stating warranty was no longer valid, hence letting a customer do all the work to have a fair treatment.

"Hi ***

Authorization has been given to replace your polarizer.
    As your version has been discontinued, we are sending the replacement under part # 66-1101635. This is an 82mm MASTER HTC C-POL MRC NANO.

I am sorry for the delay. Please confirm the address on the receipt is still valid, and we will ship."

Original review: July 18, 2022

Living in Canada, I bought from B&H Photo Video a B+W 82mm XS-Pro MRC Nano Polarizing Filter which with the time developed 2 issues. It is systematically falling apart every few hours of usage or so and there is a “delamination of the polarizing foil from the glass surface” as diagnostic says that now progressed enough to shows on pix when I shoot at F22. This filter at 150 $USD should have never pass quality control.

I didn’t returned the filter in the 30 days as I was in the field and then the 1 year warranty period for various reasons (pandemic meant much less usage and I kind of resigned myself to re-screw the filter regularly as needed). Not sure this filter was used for more than 8 weeks total. Rep in Canada who did diagnostic told me “we suggest you take up this problem with them” aka B&H. Yet B&H refused to do anything saying B+W warranty is 1 year. So I wrote to B+W USA and got the following as a reply: “We do not warranty B+W product sold by B&H, as they choose to buy from a source other than Schneider Optics. Any resolve on this matter must be handled through B&H.”

So B+W rep in Canada says B&H shall address this. B&H says on the phone nope more than a year sooooorry and no further support… B+W rep in USA says “this matter must be handled through B&H”. What a bunch of complementing crooks! Both B&H and B+W are accountable in this. This is what I wrote at B+W in Germany in a last attempt. “This address ** appears on the filter box and it appears in the email I have received down below, I'm sorry but that seems your company is not taking their responsibility seriously. Is there anything that can be done? You cannot sell faulty products that shouldn't pass quality control and wash your hands and walk away like this passing the ball to one another saying cowardly "not my problem". That's nonsense!"

Conclusion, AVOID B+W overpriced filters that delaminate and fell apart and avoid buying from B&H as if you have any problem and don’t send everything back immediately (hence forbidding you to shoot). You’ll lose your money and end with degraded quality of pix eventually. It’s just a matter of time.

Original review: July 4, 2022

The camera I ordered came without an instruction manual. I looked at the manual on Canon's website (over 150 pages, so not practical to print), and they had a place to register a newly purchased camera. When I put in my serial number, it said that this number could not be registered in the US! When I called customer service to get a manual for the camera, the service person told me that the website description for this camera did not say that a manual was included! Are they kidding? That's like going to pick up your new car and finding out that tires are not included because tires were not specified on the list of features. What honest dealer sells electronics without a manual? And it's not able to be registered in the US? Something isn't kosher here. Smells like a counterfeit knockoff to me.

Original review: July 4, 2022

Received my TV and upon switching on the screen, it was busted. They refused to exchange or refund because I had not reported the damage within 2 days (my fault as I was away and only opened the TV when I returned). Spent $350 for a pile of junk. They could have easily see that this damaged was caused at the packing/manufacturing stage.

Original review: June 26, 2022

First the good: If you need advice on what equipment to order their staff is very knowledgable and can help you. I would recommend you then try to find the item somewhere else. What follows is why. On May 13th I ordered a wireless lavalier setup. It was shipped but FedEx lost it. I got on B and H's chat and they arranged to ship a replacement. I received it on the 25th. I charged it overnight and the next day the receiver wouldn't power on. I got on the chat and after some questions, they told me I would need to do a return but I would have to wait till the following day because the returns department was closed. Okay, no big deal.

The next day I got on chat. I wanted to do an exchange but I was told that it would be another two weeks before I received the replacement. So I elected to do a return. For some reason, the agent I was chatting with felt the need to keep informing me I would have to return the item to get a refund. Why they thought I didn't know that OR that I would want to keep the nonfunctional item I don't know. They told me my refund wouldn't be processed until after they RECEIVED the item. I thought that was crappy because most companies I purchase from process returns as soon as I ship the items but whatever.

I shipped the item a couple of days later. They sent me an acknowledgment of receipt on the 8th. In the acknowledgment, they told me my refund would be processed within 3 days. On the 14th my order still didn't reflect a refund so I got on the chat. I was told it would be up to 3 more days with zero explanation of why they weren't meeting their own deadline.

On the 21st, still no change. I got on the chat again. they told me 3 days again. I got a little cranky and then they told me it would be processed that day. It wasn't. It has now been 18 days since they received the item and still nothing. I posted a review on the product page twice and neither review has been made available for other shoppers to see. No explanation has EVER been given for why I haven't received my refund. I filed a complaint with the BBB on the 23rd. That has helped with other companies in the past so we will see. It's not worth the hassle to deal with this company. Their agents tell me this is highly unusual from looking at other reviews. Not THAT unusual.

Original review: June 8, 2022

I attempted to order a laptop from this company. There was a large flashing banner at the top of the site which stated that if I ordered in the next 4 hours my item would be delivered in 2 days. I then paid extra for next day shipping. My order was confirmed via email and a pending charge was posted to my credit card. The next day I still had not received shipping information and the confirmation said that someone would be required to sign for the package, so I attempted to chat with a CS rep on their website. I was told that my order had been "flagged for verification" and that he is not able to provide any further information, and that I had to call their verification department who is only available limited business hours and only by phone.

I called, and was told I was being transferred to the proper department, however the person I was sent to said he did not work in that department and that he couldn't provide any further information. I would just have to wait for them to call me, with no inkling of when that might happen. In the meantime they posted an additional 4 unauthorized charges on my credit card for "verification purposes". After wasting 40 minutes speaking to three individuals none of whom could provide any information, and then waiting an additional several hours for the super secret department to contact me I canceled the order through their website. Less than 5 minutes later I was called by someone attempting to "verify" my order, despite it being past the time the package was to be delivered it had not even begun to be processed for shipping.

Original review: May 12, 2022

AWFUL experience. They sent me a defective laptop and told me their policy is no returns for opened computers regardless if it is defective upon receipt. Never again will I buy from someone without checking return policy. I'll stick with tried and true companies.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

I ordered a phone from B&H Photo in June 2021 and they used FedEx to deliver the phone to me. On June 9th Fedex claimed they had delivered to phone to me but when I received the email confirmation I was in my office waiting for the phone to arrive. The phone was never delivered to me but FedEx said a person named Vicki received the phone on my behalf. I was the only person working at my office so it was not possible someone could sign for the phone on my behalf. I notified both FedEx and B&H Photo right away informing them that the phone had not been delivered to me.

I spoke to a CSR at FedEx and he advised me to file a claim for the lost item so I did but when they received the claim request they said the sender had to file for the claim. I turned to B&H Photo CSR and they said they would look into it. Back and forth five times, B&H Photo said FedEx declined their claim a few times already and there was nothing they could do to help me. I could not believe it because it was their hired courier who did not do their job and I had to suffer the loss?

I filed my complaint to BBB and it did not do a thing for me and the result remained the same. I just find it hard to believe that a merchant can be so irresponsible. I did not hire FedEx to courier the phone to me and B&H Photo did. When FedEx did not fulfill its mandate B&H Photo did not take responsibility to go after FedEx and I had to spend months doing so. Something is utterly not right that I have to swallow the loss of the phone because the courier company B&H Photo hired to fulfill my online order. It is absolutely ridiculous and I have never encountered a merchant like that.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

Health issues have wiped out my life savings and forced me into bankruptcy last month..It became necessary to start selling my possessions..Due to the fact I can no longer hold a camera they were the first to go..I contact B & H and they offered me $3400 for my Nikon gear..I shipped everything out to them on Jan, 4th in two boxes. Within a week I received a check delivered to my house for $75.00 for the one box. I was pleased..Then I didn't receive the big check for all the rest of the equipment..The nightmare began. It took another week for someone to look at the equipment..Then a few days later I was told that 3 of the lens were defective and they could only pay me $1550..and they would return the 3 lenses to me..One of the lenses was new in a box ad never used, one was in the box with all of the paperwork and hardly ever used. I sadly accept the offer.

On the 24th I was told the check went out but I never received it. They stopped payment and then sent out another check with the lenses. Another week goes by and I find out that the box was sent to the old address that I haven't lived in in 6 years..They blamed me for giving them the wrong address even though the first check was mailed to my correct address. I asked them to cancel that check and do a wire transfer, they refused.

In my desperate need for money. I paid someone to go to my former home and try to get the box..Then ship it to me. The second check was canceled and I was told a new one would be sent fed ex overnight. So now I am out of pocket $60 to get my box picked up and shipped. I also have 4 bounced checks so far that cost me $140..with more to come..I asked to get compensated and they laughed at me..It is now Feb 8th and I still have not received my check..I have had issues with other companies but these lying creeps win the award for the worst ever.. Try Adorama. There are a class company!!

B&H Photo Company Information