2.44/5
Based on 89 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

380 B&H Photo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I ordered a Sigma 16mm lens through B&H on July 27 2018 in hopes to receive it by the next day being that I reside in Brooklyn, NY and B&H is in New York, NY. Today is now August 2 2018 and my package hasn’t shipped yet. I've made several calls (1 per day for four days) to only be told that my package will ship later on that day. Well it’s six days later and still my package hasn’t shipped. The lens was and is still in stock but somehow no one can give me an explanation to why my package hasn’t shipped. I’ve been patient and professional with all calls made to B&H but being told one thing and experiencing the total opposite is a bit upsetting. The only thing left is to cancel the order and take my business elsewhere.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Ordered a Canon Selphy printer, paper, and an extra USB cord. Huge letters on website - next day delivery on Wednesday. Great - going on vacation Thursday so I ordered it. At 6am it said out for delivery. When delivered in the afternoon cord only - no printer no paper. Looked at tracking - now shows delivery on Thursday and the printer was in NJ at 7:30 am not shipped not out for delivery. Spoke to BH - they said it was a FedEx mistake - no it wasn’t. It was in your warehouse on delivery day 2 states away. Rep says, "We are sorry." That’s it. Deceptive shipping dates, customer service that can easily lie to you. This used to be a good company but right now it sucks. Read the other complaints - they are all very similar. Beware! I am always trying to use small businesses but losers like this make me want to go back to Amazon. Thanks a lot B&H.

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I chatted with B&H Photo for technical support before making my purchase. Items arrived on scheduled. Very good price. Excellent customer service. Quick refund for return item. I'll definitely do business again with B&H Photo.

Original review: July 25, 2018

B&H is used to be very respected store. So, when I decided to by Nikon D850 I went there. Well, I had to wait 2 months to get the item. Meanwhile, friends of mine who ordered from Amazon or Adorama got it in couple of weeks. Anyway, I was loyal customer and waited. Finally, after 2 months of waiting I got the package. Hallelujah. However, when I open it I got surprise. Wrong camera. Not even close. I called customer support and they said "Sorry, for mistake. However, Nikon D850 not in stock anymore."

Original review: July 25, 2018

Recently purchased some accessories for a camera that is on backorder. Had the accessories shipped to my home and realized I had received 3 memory cards instead of the 1 that I had ordered. The memory cards cost $229 each. I contacted B&H and explained that I had received extra merchandise. I also explained that legally I did not have to return the extra items that were sent to my home. I was being honest and was trying to do the right thing. The customer service rep emailed me a packing slip for FedEx and told me to drop the return package off at any FedEx location. I refused because I did not make the mistake and I wasn't about to go out of my way for them. I requested that they send out a package for me to put the items in and I could place in my mailbox to be shipped through the USPS. I was told that was not possible.

I was then asked by the rep if I could maybe flag a FedEx driver down in front of my house someday and give them the package. Yes, he seriously asked me this. I refused to agree to do such a thing. We ended the conversation by the rep telling me to send the package back whenever I get a chance... even if it takes me 3 months or more. So I hung up the phone and called back to speak with another customer service rep. Explained my situation. He asked to place my call on hold. I waited. He came back and told me that I would have to make arrangements with FedEx to come pick up the package at my home.

I was not happy with the way the customer service reps handled this situation. I did not mind placing the box into my mailbox to return their items but I refused to put out any effort to correct their mistake for them with FedEx. That's their job not mine. I have learned from this experience that it certainly does NOT pay to be honest with B&H. It would have been easier for me to keep the $460 worth of items they accidentally sent to me but I'm too honest. The rep even told me they would never have known I had received the items. They were not listed on my order form.

Do you know what I received from B&H for being honest and letting them know they sent me extra items? Nothing. Instead I had to drive 8 miles to the local FedEx drop off to send their package back to them. That's the thanks I get for being a B&H customer for the past 25+ years. I've spent many thousands and still have a camera on backorder worth a few more... B&H made me feel like a valued customer... they even let me do their job for them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about B&H Photo-Video?

Original review: July 25, 2018

I live in a rural location so I have used B&H for several years. I used to be very satisfied with them, but things have gone downhill. I ordered a lens, paid for two day shipping and received it on time. However the lens was soft, so I returned it and the filter I had ordered for it. The order was received last Friday at 10:27am at their facility according to my tracking slip. So far my account does not show it was even received 4 business days later.

I contacted them via live chat yesterday and was told they would look into it. I checked back later and was told (and I have the chat transcript) that we had "spoken" earlier and that checking every few hours was not going to speed things up"! I had additional questions I was going to ask, but after that I simply told him there was no need to be snarky and ended the chat. Also, even though the lens was soft (I tried on two different bodies) I still had to pay return shipping. It will be my last order with them mainly because of the CS agent attitude. Sorry if I bothered someone who is supposedly there to help me...

Original review: July 23, 2018

Fantastic product (Huawei Laptop), flawless ordering and delivery, perfect price and shipping - what else could you ask for? Keep it up B&H, I used to just buy cameras back at your 18th Street location, way back when. You are now my go to for all things tech.

Original review: July 18, 2018

This computer (CyberPowerPC) is amazing. Starts right up, quick and easy to use. I have no problem with the computer itself and I would recommend this to anyone. Mouse and keyboard feels so good to your hands, they are both fantastic.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Placed an order on Wednesday morning for Next Day Air early AM. This was a present for my kid's birthday on Sunday. Figured, if something would go wrong, I would have time to reorder. Every item was in stock. Next day only memory card arrives out of entire order. I call customer support and they assure me that it was shipped, tracking information is not updated, and it will be probably delivered later same day. Couple hours later, surprisingly tracking number gets updated and order leaves the NJ warehouses. On Friday nothing gets delivered, to be fair that one was FedEx fault. I call customer support explain everything, and they assured me a replacement would be sent and delivered on Saturday.

Plus I asked to ship it to Home since it was Saturday. Comes Saturday, nothing. I spend hour and half driving by to work, thought maybe they shipped it there, but nothing. I come back home, nothing there. I check tracking number for replacement, still shows up being packed. The order was suppose to arrive 3 days ago, and now if they actually ship it on Monday, it will arrive on Tuesday almost full week. Birthday was of course ruined, altogether with BH and FedEx spent about 2 hours on chat and phone trying to resolve the problem.

And at the end got nothing delivered. BH customer support blamed everything on FedEx, and I would believe that FedEx made some mistake. But TWO orders in a row with NextDay Air early AM delivery, dont get delivered on time!!! In both cases orders would show up (on BH website) still being packed next day, instead of being on FedEx truck out for delivery. So don’t really buy this being all the FedEx fault. So if you are getting something that you need urgently and guaranteed, stick with Amazon.

Original review: July 13, 2018

DJI Spark - Always great to deal with, fair prices and extremely fast shipping without gouging consumers with extraordinarily high freight. Faithful customer here, no need to look further, I trust these guys and I don't trust very many companies anymore.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I ordered a gift of a guitar case but was unaware until just over the 30 day limit for returns, that it is the wrong size. I tried to exchange it for the correct size but they will not allow me to. What am I supposed to do with the wrong size guitar case? I will NEVER purchase from them again or suggest anyone else does. What happened to customer courtesy?

Original review: July 7, 2018

I purchased a Canon imageprograf Pro 4000s 44 inch large format inkjet printer from B&H; when I placed the order on June 25th 2018 there was a $800 rebate from Canon redeemable within 30 days after the purchase date. I also ordered accessories for the printer, and when I checked the status of the order a week later I found out that the printer was not shipped with the accessories so I contacted customer service. They explained to me that the printer was in back order and they would contact me within 48 hours; I received an email from B&H 10 days after I placed the order saying that unfortunately they don't have an expected delivery date as the printer is backordered by the manufacturer.

However, when I go to their website B&H is advertising that the availability of this printer is within 1 to 3 days. I don't think I will be getting my printer in time to claim my $800 rebate and since I don't have the serial number there is nothing I could do, for that reason I will cancel my order and return the accessories. Please don't buy anything from B&H unless you're willing to waste time and money when attempting to return items you can't use, this a nightmare I don't wish to anyone. I should have paid attention to the reviews.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I purchased an online download for Adobe software. I purchased the wrong software and it will not run on my system. I talked to B&H and was informed that once a download link was emailed there was no returns. I can't use this software. It will not run and is not compatible with my system. I paid almost $80.00 for this and they will not return my money. I have purchased other items from B&H and not had any trouble, but this is a greedy company that makes money off a person that made an honest mistake. I will never purchase anything from B&H again. I am sure they get taken by people at times. But when I cannot even run the software there should be some way to refund the purchase price. This is not customer service in my world. You will pay for this in the long run. Karma has a way of coming to visit companies like yours.

Original review: July 2, 2018

All the items I was looking for were easy to find online, and my order shipped very quickly. Shipping rates are reasonable (often free depending on what's purchased) and all items were packaged well and arrived in good condition.

Original review: June 28, 2018

I recently bought a musical instrument from B&H and I also bought the suggested carry case for the instrument on the B&H website. When the order was complete I was notified that the case was a special order and would take longer to arrive. When it finally did, it was for a larger instrument. I emailed the returns department and was told because it was a special order, I would need to pay a 20% restocking fee. I agreed to this payment and then in the follow up email I was then told I would also need to pay for the shipping which was a further 10% of the overall cost. Be warned, do not fall for the lies in their return policy. I would not recommend this company solely on their customer support.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Called support 2 times for assistance in selecting a camera that was compatible with my Synology NAS software, and suitable for the intended purpose (kitten cam). Both times the CSR's were patient with my questions and helpful in narrowing down the possible (overwhelming) number of choices. Once I placed my order, delivery was prompt and the product arrived well packaged and in good shape.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I ordered a set of binocular on Tuesday 12, just in time for Father’s Day. I paid with credit card and B&H accept the transaction. On the same day, I receive an e-mail telling me that the item has been shipped. On Thursday, June 14, I received the packaged with the incorrect item. I called customer services right away. I explained the situation and I expressed my desire to have the correct item shipped overnight so I can have it on time for Father’s Day. They explained to me that I have to send it a picture of the item received. Even though it make me feel that I was lying to them, I took the picture and send it to them. When I asked when they are going to send me the item I paid for and they accepted the transaction, they told me that they have to receive the wrongly shipped item before they can send my binoculars.

Not only had they treated me as liar person but also as a thief. I did not want the item they sent me nor do I want to keep it. Today I received an e-mail from customer service letting me know that with an electronic Gift Card, I will be able to purchase the binocular for $89.00. When I called to order the device I was told that the e-mail was a mistake as well. I will return the item today and I hope they credit back my credit card. It is a shame that a regular customer is treated like a liar and deceiving person after they made a mistake.

Original review: June 14, 2018

My experience is centered around a camera bag bundled with a camera. The camera bag was backordered, but three months later, B&H can supply no data as to when is the estimated delivery date. They should have 1) not offered it with such a poor relationship with their vendor, 2) offered another bag due to the extended delay, 3) bought the bag from another vendor and shipped it to me or 4) credited me for the full price of the bundled bag. Instead, customer service gave me vapid answers and ask if they can do anything else for me. How about answer my questions or get me what I bought? I've done a lot of business with them, but now I'm done - someone else deserves my business.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Ordered 2 items one which was on backorder for 2 months. Was never notified of any eta. Finally had enough and modified my order. I ordered 2 batteries one used and one new. They were shipped in diff boxes. Had to pay duty 2x. They even put value of new battery so I had to pay more money. Emailed them. They said sorry. Will not be ordering again. Foolishly spent over 1500 the last month. Buyers beware!!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I recently returned a lens that I purchased because it wasn't what I expected. Barely used and returned in the exact manner it was received. I was told that a cap on the back of the lens was missing. After I denied and sent pictures of what I had, they then said it was a different cover (pouch) that was missing. After going back and forth for 11 days I decided to call and straighten it out.

They would not send me any pictures of my return which I had asked for. I should have known better and taken a picture of my return but that's where I made my mistake. Bottom line is they are charging me a restocking fee for something I know that's not missing. Lesson learned. ALWAYS take a picture when returning something as proof. Horrible customer service after all that I had spent with them. I am no longer buying anything from them because of this. I am a purchasing manager and integrity is a vital quality of business. Disappointed with the handling of the whole thing.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Great little 3D printer. Yes, it's not that precise as other more expensive units. Yes, it uses proprietary PLA. Yes, it's not that fast. But, it accurate, cheap and fun to use. You will need glue stick to make sure the filament adheres.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I love B&H and I use it for business and personal purchases. However, ever since they switched from UPS to FedEx Ground, I have been very disappointed. I live in MD and UPS was always reliable about delivering next day after the order. FedEx hardly ever gets it here next day. Their tracking shows it out for delivery, but the driver does a drive by and this is in a business park. I HATE FEDEX GROUND.

Original review: June 6, 2018

After purchasing a camera from them and returning it for a new one because of a faulty kit lens, I decided to trade-in my old gear since B&H Photo promised me a better deal than a camera shop I checked the gear at. Everything was in perfect condition and checked by a professional before I shipped them to B&H Photo. But when they received it they said that my prime lens is not focusing and they cannot accept it. I assumed it got damaged during shipping even though I packed it very well. No one would want to answer me by email regarding the issue or insurance, and when they did answer other questions the answers took weeks. 2.5 months after I shipped the lens it finally came back to me, damaged with the focus not working as they told me. I tried asking the customer service about the insurance but they would just advise me to contact trade-in (which I did, with no answers for weeks).

Later when I started digging deeper I found information where they advise you to insure your gear before you send it in - this was not mentioned at any step of the trade-in! But they do advertise that they will insure your gear for shipping in case you are not happy with the quote! And the customer service could not tell me that during these months of wasted time? This whole charade ended up costing me over 200$. Customer service was so unprofessional and unwilling to do anything that I am not taking my money there again.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I purchased a digital drive. The website stated "expedited shipping". To me that means 2-3 business days. On the third business day I emailed their customer service dept. with my concerns, that FedEx was showing a delivery date on the 5th business day after purchase. Their reply totally ignored my issues and did not address anything I had said. The insolent reply was that the delivery date was the 3rd day. I had spelled-out to them that it had already been 3 business days. This was not expedited shipping, but rather, regular FedEx ground. I am still waiting for the item to be delivered.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Ordered Dell laptop and received Asus monitor. And they said that if I drop off the wrong item at FedEx they will start processing my laptop immediately. So I did the same and shared the tracking info with them but now they changed their tone, they are not sending my product immediately. Three different Customer Service Assistants gave three different statements about their return policy. I am really disappointed. I don't know when they will send my laptop and I hope at least they will send correct one if they send. They don't believe in Customers. They send 230$ product for my 899$. I learned my lessons. This will be my last product from this site.

Original review: May 24, 2018

They don't even deserve a star. I called to find out the status of my refund and I was beyond surprised with agent’s attitude. He was being very rude and literally told me that he don’t give a ** if I filled a complaint. I am shock. How come they are still in business???

Original review: May 22, 2018

I used them a lot in the past but they are no longer the same company and I find I am actually avoid ordering from them lately more and more. First I ordered a Celestron telescope that offered free expedited 2 day shipping. Over a week now and it says in stock and the order is at the warehouse. It still hasn't shipped! I sent them an email - no response in 24 hours now. I chatted with a person in their customer service department and they informed me they would be sure to ship it today. I get home and the status says the same - at warehouse. Not shipped yet. There are better place to buy from these days. I will cancel the order. Interestingly enough they charged my credit card the second I placed the order, not when the order shipped... So they got use of the money for free. I seriously would take my business somewhere else.

Original review: May 22, 2018

If I could give this 0 stars I would. I am APPALLED by the used department. I've received not 1, but TWO broken Canon Mark III cameras. The return process was a nightmare and I was constantly calling trying to figure out when the new camera was being delivered (not to mention the extremely inconvenient required signature situation). After waiting weeks for my situation to be cleared up (not ideal for a full-time photographer), I was sent ANOTHER broken camera. Returning it all and getting my money back and going elsewhere. Never EVER would I recommend B&H to anyone.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have had a photography business for 15 years and I have used B&H for most of my gear. I got a crazy idea and ordered a used camera for a backup. The reason I did was to save money and that on B&H used equipment page, it says that all equipment is tested and in working order. I got the camera 3 days ago and it does not work. So I called customer service and after I talked to 4 people I told the last guy that it says that it in working order and tested. He told me, no, they do not test it. Now I have to mess with sending it back, out some money, and I was depending on this camera. I also saved a copy of their used equipment policy. Is this false advertising and bad customer service? (Not happy this time).

Updated on 06/08/2018: I did an RMA for a refund and sent it right back. They received the camera last Friday which was the 1st I believe. I still have not received it. I run a photography business and bought that camera for a temporary replacement. Now I don't have a replacement or my money to get another one. Not only that but It is Friday and they close at 2 so I'm screwed until next week. They should have to pay me for the time I'm down. I will start dealing with a different supplier. I forgot to mention that I called them Wednesday and they said I would have it by this morning, now they are telling me next week. How long does it take to put money back in the bank. Come on now. I can't afford to deal with B&H Photo.

Original review: May 13, 2018

B&H Photo, NYC is the first place I check for any photo (and most computer) needs and it usually ends up being where I make my purchases from. Their prices are great, their service is fantastic, and shipping is fast. If you have any questions at all, their chat is actually very good... reliable and correct info from knowledgeable, friendly but professional service reps. They have a great return policy. If for any reason you're not happy with your purchase, no questions asked. It often makes me wish the store was local for even quicker purchases, but then I'd have to pay our high taxes, so I'm happy they're in NY.

B&H Photo Company Information

NY
Fax:
www.bandh.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business