2. Miscellaneous

B&H Photo

3.9/5 (303 ratings)

About B&H Photo

B&H Photo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about B&H Photo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about B&H Photo-Video?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I personally have bought and traded in used items at B&H for a decade, 10 years, many thousands of dollars. My family and friends have all shopped at this place due to my recommendation, but I am done recommending anyone do future business with them. They had their chance to get their act together, but all that happens now, is management throws customer service a script to deal with me while they run away like cowards, refusing to deal with me because they can't deal with people, apparently. The last time I spoke with management in person, they were disrespectful, condescending, rude, and he even called me poor. I am IT management, I make good money, I know how to talk to people, and he made a big mistake with his behavior.

It all started when I emailed about trading in a Reverb G2 that I preordered from them, and they took months to ship it out, and it turns out I cannot use the headset because it doesn't fit me correctly. No big deal, I thought, I will just trade it in for some money from B&H like I always did, because there was never a huge issue in the past, unlike now.

I emailed them listing the one item and received the generic reply, obviously not written by a human being. "Unfortunately, we have no market for, or are currently overstocked with the items you wish to sell. Subsequently, at this time we are unable to purchase the equipment which you have listed." On their website, as of this writing, there are two G2 headsets in the used department, and it is also listed at full price. What do you mean, "no market"? You are selling it new and used. It is also impossible to be overstocked, as not that many have been made in the first place. So I went further to ask questions and to get an answer from a human being.

His answer to my question was, "Sometimes the items are just there." A total avoidance and not an answer at all. Then he offered to buy it for $150, 25% of its worth (it retails for $600!). I asked him to explain that low offer. His answer? "Either take it, or leave it, I don't care, or keep the headset. No one's buying that stupid thing for more money anyway. The Quest 2 sells way better for us. I’m sorry, but that is how it is. Maybe you shouldn't have bought it if it didn't fit". Interesting. There's nowhere to go to try the G2 on and see how it looks and fits in the first place.

I already know what people might say, sell it on eBay, or Facebook Marketplace etc.; where I could list it for $300 and someone might buy it at that price. I doubt they will. Since for $300 or so, anyone can just get a Facebook Oculus Quest 2 and be done. The G2 requires a $1000+ desktop gaming computer to run on top of its $600 price. I already see people saying that to me, and probably the best I could get for it on eBay or Facebook is a measly $200 because it requires an expensive PC to run. I am basically stuck with trying to make it more comfortable, so I can use it for my flight and racing simulators.

This, and the other negative experiences I had interacting with management, has forced me to reconsider doing any further business with them. What he basically told me is that it is my fault that the thing I bought doesn't fit properly, and he wanted to basically cheat me by taking it for 1/4 its value, and sell it for 3 times that. That is immensely crooked. I hope this look into how the people at B&H Photo treat you when you have been a customer for any length of time helps you reach a decision. They really need to treat their customers (and their employees too, I sense something wrong because “a fish rots from the head down”) better. As for me, I will buy my electronics elsewhere from now on.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I've shopped at B&H for decades and purchased thousands everything from large, medium, digital formats. I purchased a "10 good as new" thread adapter with leather case in box by internet order. I noted the leather case was missing and immediately contacted them within 2 days. They were nice enough to offer a partial refund for me to keep the product since they were not able to resupply a case. The partial refund was made and the statement states refund. However, they claimed a restock fee equal to the tax collection on that refunded amount and this was not returned to me. I have had other purchase that a complete refund with the complete tax returned to me, so does not seem proper to me. They refused to return the tax on the refunded amount and labeled it as a restock fee in the same exact amount despite there was no restock that occurred.

I had purchased a high end lens before by internet and the finder was missing from the set despite being prima fascia listed as included on the description. I had to physically ask for it at the used counter and it was "found on someone's desk". There was a high end camera body I purchased prior which also had an included item missing from it. This is the third incident with an online purchase and I think they are pulling items from the products despite listed as included. Keeping the refunded amount's taxes seems very improper, as I have had full returns with the tax before and even without their "restock fee".

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I was always told B&H Photo-Video was THE go-to store for camera equipment. WRONG. Throughout my very 1st major buy from B&H, I experienced one of the most frustrating, screwed up, incompetence-riddled, drawn out experiences of my life. It started when I made a fairly large purchase of about $2,000. Two of the cameras seemed like they had been opened, so I returned them: 2 Olympus TG-6 waterproof cameras—1 black & 1 red. The refund to my credit card for the purchase of the black one went off w/o a problem... However, regarding the red one, as of today (date 9/2/21), the money for that camera has YET to be refunded to my credit card—although it was received by B&H nearly three weeks ago (8/16/21).

I have made about 20 phone calls to B&H. And each time I’ve been told: “there’s a problem of some kind, I’ll have to check” (no callback), “It should be coming soon,” “Definitely within the next 48 hours,” “that’s still in process,” etc. etc. etc. For nearly 2 weeks, the camera wasn’t even showing as having been returned. I called multiple times & no one knew what was going on. Finally, I found out that although FedEx had indeed delivered it (signed for), B&H apparently LOST the camera/package somewhere between the shipping dept. & the returns dept. And I only found this out after 2 weeks when they FINALLY informed me that I needed to sign an “Affidavit” to be emailed to me, which would declare that I had indeed returned the camera (even though FedEx was showing that it had been delivered). Then came the comedic farce involving me actually receiving (or rather, never receiving) the “Affidavit” via email.

• When I called on Fri. 8/27, I was told it would be sent by Sun 8/29. —Never came.
    • When I called on Monday 8/30, I was told it would be sent by the end of the day. —Never came.
    • When I called on Wednesday 9/1, I was told by the CS rep that no one knew why the “Affidavit” hadn’t been sent out to me, but that it would “definitely” be sent to me by the end of the day because that CS rep was going to personally walk over to that dept. & have them send it. —Never came.

• When I called on Thursday 9/2, I was told that there had been some confusion over the RED camera vs the BLACK camera. They saw that the BLACK camera had been refunded, so no one bothered to send me any Affidavit for the other camera. I was then told FOR SURE that it would be taken care... But it’d still take another 48-hours (or “maybe just 24-hours”), to get the Affidavit sent to me. Then, once they received that back & had reviewed it, the refund process would be started. But actually getting the refund credited would take another 7-10 business days...

ARE YOU ** kidding me? So, now I’ve had to file a “stop payment” fraud investigation “payment dispute” with my credit card company!!! Now B&H can deal with them. I’m done. What’s really shocking is that I told the CS rep that I was going to do file such a complaint with my credit card company and if they didn’t want that to happen, then a manager could call me back to resolve it ASAP. —No one has called. GET YOUR CAMERA EQUIPMENT SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN B&H, which apparently, I now know, stands for **&Hassle. I’M NEVER BUYING FROM THEM AGAIN (But at least I’ve been getting 3-4 email marketing/advertising announcements from them every day).

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

When I ordered a product from B&H Photo that didn't work, I asked the manager for a refund, and he mentioned the no refund policy. I explained to him that the product didn't work, forcing me to buy the product somewhere else as well, the manager wasn't understanding at all....in fact he was kind of rude about it. I'm NOT EVEN MAD ABOUT NOT GETTING A REFUND, BUT BY HOW THE MANAGER TREATED ME WHEN I ASKED FOR ONE. That manager should think about his approach and how he comes across before responding to a customer’s concern. I was polite the way I presented myself, he should’ve done the same.... especially at a CUSTOMER SERVICE job.

Original review: June 29, 2021

Ordered a Fujifilm gf lens, used Citi bank credit card, hit enter. All of a sudden a B&H PHOTO/SYNCHRONY BANK credit card was reopened, ok it will save me $200, lens comes damaged. Customer service sucked so I canceled order, fujifilm also had a $500 rebate, I called back. Recorded and like always I have camera stuff shipped next day air, lens sat at bh for days, so I ordered from Adorama. I had sent damaged lens right back, bh received in couple of days, but now

B&H PHOTO/SYNCHRONY BANK is charging me interest, customer service could care less from both B&H PHOTO/SYNCHRONY BANK. If they would look at my history I have spent $$$$ with these **. No more after 20 years.

Original review: June 26, 2021

We ordered a $160 DJ stand in June 4th. We called twice for a tracking number to see where it was. First time just said, "Ok I'll send you an email to track." It never came, second time "Oh it's a third party. I will contact them then email you a tracking #." Again nothing! It's been past time of estimated delivery and we still don't have nothing and we have a business to run. Very poor customer service they wanna rush you off the phone. I want my money back!!!!

Original review: June 24, 2021

I placed an order for delivery internationally. Product was 159.99 + 44 for shipping - paid for upgraded shipping. Upon delivery attempt, local affiliate informed me I needed to pay for shipping, still - $84. Supposed to be $27 VAT fee, but the remainder was simply pocketed by B&H I guess?? Contacted customer support who basically told me I'm wrong and if I e-mail them again, they'll ignore me. Filed complaint with BBB and NY Attorney General. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: May 14, 2021

I've used B&H Photo multiple times. Never had any issues but a delayed package that was UPS and not their fault. I've visited their Brick and mortar store in NYC and was a beautiful store with great customer service. If you sign up for their accounts you also get reward points and save money on your next order. I've bought Computer GPUs, CPUs, PSUs, and SSDs, and multiple DSLR Lens that were better priced than most bigger retailers. I paid 35 dollars less on my Canon EF 35mm f/2 wide-angle lens than I would've paid from Best Buy or Amazon (600 dollar lens btw).

Original review: May 10, 2021

They sent me a USED $1200 computer that they represented as new. When I opened the box, it was missing parts and there were fingerprints all over it. When I inquired about them sending me a new one, they said I had to send the old one back first leaving me without a computer for a couple of weeks. This was unacceptable as I use my computer daily for business. It was clearly a return that they sold as new. Most other companies provide for you a discount in this situation. They refused to provide me a discount and refused to work with me. I have pictures and will amend this review. Stay away from this place and order from a reputable company. Otherwise, you are most likely receiving a used or returned product.

Resolution response: May 21, 2021

B&H could not find any evidence they had sent me the product, so they sent me a replacement. I'm withdrawing my review.

Original review: April 23, 2021

I placed an order for two neutral density rolls on 4/15. For some reason the order was split into two shipments. I received the first shipment via Fedex on 4/20. The second order I received via Fedex on 4/21 evening. Both shipments came in large 6' x 6" boxes. Upon opening the second shipment box, I was a little startled to discover it was completely empty (no product, receipt, packing slip, nothing). Both ends of the package were sealed shut with B&H packing tape... There was no way anyone could have opened the package unless they carried B&H packing tape around with them.

I immediately called B&H customer service, who informed me to take photos of the empty box and email them to them, which I did. I received a response the next day that they had looked at their packing video and that it showed the product being placed in the box. I informed them that they may have been looking at the first shipment being packed, but clearly not the second. I also informed them I would not pay $114.42 for an item I did not receive.

They've now stopped responding to me. I've disputed the order with my credit card company. In the last 6 months I've purchased over $7000.00 in products from B&H. I'm not a liar or a thief. If they fight my dispute, I will never order another product from this company again. They clearly don't respect their customers. I also think they're lying about watching the package video, because they would have clearly seen nothing being placed in the second box.

B&H Photo Company Information