2.39/5
Based on 82 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

364 B&H Photo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

I ordered a set of binocular on Tuesday 12, just in time for Father’s Day. I paid with credit card and B&H accept the transaction. On the same day, I receive an e-mail telling me that the item has been shipped. On Thursday, June 14, I received the packaged with the incorrect item. I called customer services right away. I explained the situation and I expressed my desire to have the correct item shipped overnight so I can have it on time for Father’s Day. They explained to me that I have to send it a picture of the item received. Even though it make me feel that I was lying to them, I took the picture and send it to them. When I asked when they are going to send me the item I paid for and they accepted the transaction, they told me that they have to receive the wrongly shipped item before they can send my binoculars.

Not only had they treated me as liar person but also as a thief. I did not want the item they sent me nor do I want to keep it. Today I received an e-mail from customer service letting me know that with an electronic Gift Card, I will be able to purchase the binocular for $89.00. When I called to order the device I was told that the e-mail was a mistake as well. I will return the item today and I hope they credit back my credit card. It is a shame that a regular customer is treated like a liar and deceiving person after they made a mistake.

Original review: June 14, 2018

My experience is centered around a camera bag bundled with a camera. The camera bag was backordered, but three months later, B&H can supply no data as to when is the estimated delivery date. They should have 1) not offered it with such a poor relationship with their vendor, 2) offered another bag due to the extended delay, 3) bought the bag from another vendor and shipped it to me or 4) credited me for the full price of the bundled bag. Instead, customer service gave me vapid answers and ask if they can do anything else for me. How about answer my questions or get me what I bought? I've done a lot of business with them, but now I'm done - someone else deserves my business.

Get expert buying tips about Camera Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Ordered 2 items one which was on backorder for 2 months. Was never notified of any eta. Finally had enough and modified my order. I ordered 2 batteries one used and one new. They were shipped in diff boxes. Had to pay duty 2x. They even put value of new battery so I had to pay more money. Emailed them. They said sorry. Will not be ordering again. Foolishly spent over 1500 the last month. Buyers beware!!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I recently returned a lens that I purchased because it wasn't what I expected. Barely used and returned in the exact manner it was received. I was told that a cap on the back of the lens was missing. After I denied and sent pictures of what I had, they then said it was a different cover (pouch) that was missing. After going back and forth for 11 days I decided to call and straighten it out.

They would not send me any pictures of my return which I had asked for. I should have known better and taken a picture of my return but that's where I made my mistake. Bottom line is they are charging me a restocking fee for something I know that's not missing. Lesson learned. ALWAYS take a picture when returning something as proof. Horrible customer service after all that I had spent with them. I am no longer buying anything from them because of this. I am a purchasing manager and integrity is a vital quality of business. Disappointed with the handling of the whole thing.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Great little 3D printer. Yes, it's not that precise as other more expensive units. Yes, it uses proprietary PLA. Yes, it's not that fast. But, it accurate, cheap and fun to use. You will need glue stick to make sure the filament adheres.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about B&H Photo-Video?

Original review: June 7, 2018

I love B&H and I use it for business and personal purchases. However, ever since they switched from UPS to FedEx Ground, I have been very disappointed. I live in MD and UPS was always reliable about delivering next day after the order. FedEx hardly ever gets it here next day. Their tracking shows it out for delivery, but the driver does a drive by and this is in a business park. I HATE FEDEX GROUND.

Original review: June 6, 2018

After purchasing a camera from them and returning it for a new one because of a faulty kit lens, I decided to trade-in my old gear since B&H Photo promised me a better deal than a camera shop I checked the gear at. Everything was in perfect condition and checked by a professional before I shipped them to B&H Photo. But when they received it they said that my prime lens is not focusing and they cannot accept it. I assumed it got damaged during shipping even though I packed it very well. No one would want to answer me by email regarding the issue or insurance, and when they did answer other questions the answers took weeks. 2.5 months after I shipped the lens it finally came back to me, damaged with the focus not working as they told me. I tried asking the customer service about the insurance but they would just advise me to contact trade-in (which I did, with no answers for weeks).

Later when I started digging deeper I found information where they advise you to insure your gear before you send it in - this was not mentioned at any step of the trade-in! But they do advertise that they will insure your gear for shipping in case you are not happy with the quote! And the customer service could not tell me that during these months of wasted time? This whole charade ended up costing me over 200$. Customer service was so unprofessional and unwilling to do anything that I am not taking my money there again.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I purchased a digital drive. The website stated "expedited shipping". To me that means 2-3 business days. On the third business day I emailed their customer service dept. with my concerns, that FedEx was showing a delivery date on the 5th business day after purchase. Their reply totally ignored my issues and did not address anything I had said. The insolent reply was that the delivery date was the 3rd day. I had spelled-out to them that it had already been 3 business days. This was not expedited shipping, but rather, regular FedEx ground. I am still waiting for the item to be delivered.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Ordered Dell laptop and received Asus monitor. And they said that if I drop off the wrong item at FedEx they will start processing my laptop immediately. So I did the same and shared the tracking info with them but now they changed their tone, they are not sending my product immediately. Three different Customer Service Assistants gave three different statements about their return policy. I am really disappointed. I don't know when they will send my laptop and I hope at least they will send correct one if they send. They don't believe in Customers. They send 230$ product for my 899$. I learned my lessons. This will be my last product from this site.

Original review: May 24, 2018

They don't even deserve a star. I called to find out the status of my refund and I was beyond surprised with agent’s attitude. He was being very rude and literally told me that he don’t give a ** if I filled a complaint. I am shock. How come they are still in business???

Original review: May 22, 2018

I used them a lot in the past but they are no longer the same company and I find I am actually avoid ordering from them lately more and more. First I ordered a Celestron telescope that offered free expedited 2 day shipping. Over a week now and it says in stock and the order is at the warehouse. It still hasn't shipped! I sent them an email - no response in 24 hours now. I chatted with a person in their customer service department and they informed me they would be sure to ship it today. I get home and the status says the same - at warehouse. Not shipped yet. There are better place to buy from these days. I will cancel the order. Interestingly enough they charged my credit card the second I placed the order, not when the order shipped... So they got use of the money for free. I seriously would take my business somewhere else.

Original review: May 22, 2018

If I could give this 0 stars I would. I am APPALLED by the used department. I've received not 1, but TWO broken Canon Mark III cameras. The return process was a nightmare and I was constantly calling trying to figure out when the new camera was being delivered (not to mention the extremely inconvenient required signature situation). After waiting weeks for my situation to be cleared up (not ideal for a full-time photographer), I was sent ANOTHER broken camera. Returning it all and getting my money back and going elsewhere. Never EVER would I recommend B&H to anyone.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have had a photography business for 15 years and I have used B&H for most of my gear. I got a crazy idea and ordered a used camera for a backup. The reason I did was to save money and that on B&H used equipment page, it says that all equipment is tested and in working order. I got the camera 3 days ago and it does not work. So I called customer service and after I talked to 4 people I told the last guy that it says that it in working order and tested. He told me, no, they do not test it. Now I have to mess with sending it back, out some money, and I was depending on this camera. I also saved a copy of their used equipment policy. Is this false advertising and bad customer service? (Not happy this time).

Updated on 06/08/2018: I did an RMA for a refund and sent it right back. They received the camera last Friday which was the 1st I believe. I still have not received it. I run a photography business and bought that camera for a temporary replacement. Now I don't have a replacement or my money to get another one. Not only that but It is Friday and they close at 2 so I'm screwed until next week. They should have to pay me for the time I'm down. I will start dealing with a different supplier. I forgot to mention that I called them Wednesday and they said I would have it by this morning, now they are telling me next week. How long does it take to put money back in the bank. Come on now. I can't afford to deal with B&H Photo.

Original review: May 13, 2018

B&H Photo, NYC is the first place I check for any photo (and most computer) needs and it usually ends up being where I make my purchases from. Their prices are great, their service is fantastic, and shipping is fast. If you have any questions at all, their chat is actually very good... reliable and correct info from knowledgeable, friendly but professional service reps. They have a great return policy. If for any reason you're not happy with your purchase, no questions asked. It often makes me wish the store was local for even quicker purchases, but then I'd have to pay our high taxes, so I'm happy they're in NY.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I purchased a Notebook from this company because they were recommended by a friend. A few weeks after I started using the laptop, it started crashing on me. I called B&H to hopefully resolve, requested for the technical dept. I was transferred the first time, was disconnected for unknown reason. The second time I called, CST stated I may have a defective item so he transferred me to another Customer Service Tech person. I was on hold for about 30 min so I hung up and tried calling again. The third rep I spoke with suggested I contact HP. I already lost a couple of work hours so I told them they should be contact HP not me. I am highly disappointed to the customer service I received not to mention the number of times I called and the length of time I was on hold with them. WILL NOT RECOMMEND, I suggest go to your local store for MUCH better in person assistance.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I have been a video customer of B&H; for over 35 years. They are the most professional, fast shipping, provide honest recommendations compared to other providers. I set up and tested the Sony PXW-Z90V camcorder I received a week ago. The camcorder's 1" sensor is the best sensor I have ever used. The 270 image points in the sensor automatically focus in 21 msec and keep the images in focus even when a fast zoom is accomplished. The camera's WiFi support appears phenomenal and will allow me to synchronize the timecode in my PXW-Z90V and PXW-Z150 under control of my iPhone 6. The camcorder is smaller, more compact than other professional camcorders and its HDMI output allows me to see the screen of my Sony 7" monitor which maps each pixel of the sensor to each sensor in the screen.

Original review: April 26, 2018

FedEx claims package was delivered, but there's no documented signature - although it said it was mandatory in the FedEx tracking screen. On top of it, I paid for 1 Day Shipping. B&H people weren't helpful at all and keeping adding steps for it to be resolved. I just want the item or my money back - it's not that hard. There are too many companies on the web that know how to treat a customer right and B&H is not one of them. Never buying from B&H again.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I purchased an Explorer Scientific AR102 refractor telescope from this company. NEW but what I got was an as is/used broken item. I contacted B&H Photo and requested an RMA for a refund. I sent back the item with the RMA and after reviewing my request; they do not want to refund me but instead send me back the broken used as is item so I can send it to the main manufacturer to have it repaired. They supposedly contacted the manufacturer and that company supposedly told them they sent a broken telescope in error to B&H Photo. Now mind you I paid full price for a NEW ITEM not a used one. So to me it is fraud and I am considering filing a lawsuit against B&H Photo Video and also the return manager Berney ** for insisting I take the broken telescope and have it repaired myself.

If I go and take them to court; I will sue for the refund itself plus court fees and time I will lose going to court. I am also considering filing a fraud claim as well and pushing for maximum penalty since the item was over 379.00. I have bought from them before and never have I ever experienced anything like this ever from this company and others. It is downright disgusting and discouraging that a company is wanting me to accept the broken item at the full price that I paid for a new one and ship it to Explorer Scientific. So now I will have to pay more money to ship it to get it repaired. Who in the hell do they take me for? Some dumb Joe Schmo off the street?

I sent them an email saying to them, “Do not send me that scope back here and issue me a refund.” I told them, “If that company told you they sent you a broken one in error then you need to send it back to them and get a credit for it not me. It is not my responsibility to send back a scope to get repairs when it was suppose to be new not used.” So as of now I am still waiting for a refund and hoping they did not send that broken scope back to me. If they did send it out; I will truly sue them for everything they got. I am tired of this crap! These companies are doing to its customers and it’s about time we step up and take charge. I will personally see to it that their doors are shut forever! They should not be in business when doing crap like this...PERIOD!

So I will make it my personal mission to shut them down; to prevent them from doing this same nonsense to other people. The great news is; I am doing all of this via emails so I have all the proof and documentation. I know recorded phone calls are generally not admissible in court but written statements and emails are. :) So Berney ** admitted it was a used broken scope whether in error or not but is wanting me to take the broken scope anyway. YEAH I THINK NOT! So hopefully I will see an email with an apology and with the refund. So I will see how this goes in the days ahead as they are stalling and hoping I accept that offer; but there is no way in heaven or on earth will I accept that.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I am very pleased to have ordered my Nikon SB_5000 flash from B&H. I really like the way their website is easy to navigate. They provide good information and reviews on the products they are offering. I received my order free of shipping charge in about a week (west coast) via FedEx.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I bought a gaming laptop with VMR bundle from B&H. It did not work when I received it. I called for support and was sent to the vendors to pay for my own support as they did not have anyone who knew VMR. I ended up out support money and have to return equipment anyway. Should have gone directly to manufacturer of products so I could get better support. B&H refuses to do anything to make things right and were outright rude. Save yourself the hassle!!

Original review: March 12, 2018

B&H Photo is the best, they have the best selection, prices, and service. Been dealing there a long time. Never a disappointment. If I wanted to pick a complaint on this order, is that they used FedEx for shipping instead of UPS. Do not care for FedEx. In our area, the nearest FedEx station is 90 miles away. Lucky enough I didn't have to be there to sign for the package. My wife and I work and FedEx don't try twice in the same day. UPS is 6 miles from here. Other than that... B&H is perfect. Also, if I have questions or need assistance making a choice, they are a phone call away and their customer assistance people are above the top awesome. What can I say... I love B&H Photo and am a customer for life!

Original review: March 5, 2018

I bought a ikan EC1 Beholder 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer that was defective straight from the box. I left the country on the day the item arrived and was only able to open it when I got back, only to find out it was defective. When I reached out to B&H customer care I was told that since it's been over 30 days nothing can be done. They also advised to contact the manufacturer. I e-mailed the manufacturer and got no reply. Then I called them and was instructed to contact the seller to get a replacement. Now tired of being tossed back and forth, I would appreciate B&H to take some responsibility for shipping me a defective unit in the first place. I didn't pay for a broken item.

It's frustrating that being B&H the company that actually sold me the item won't take responsibility for selling me a broken gimbal. I have always valued your quality and good prices, this however is turning to be one of the worst customer experiences in a sense that 1. I don't expect to be shipped with defective merchandise. 2. If and when defective units are sent I expect the company to take steps to fix it. After all there's a reason people go to specific companies, for reputation and price guarantee. Customer satisfaction is key for retaining businesses.

One of the reasons I shop with Amazon is the fact that their relationship with me doesn't end after the purchase. I had a pair of Beats by Dre headphones that stopped working after 6 months. I contacted them and they send a replacement unit straight away. This unit I had been using, and got replaced. They have my business forever. It's appalling that B&H would refuse to exchange a new, unused, straight from the box defective unit. Now, am I expected to keep an item worth over $500 which defective is essentially a piece of junk?

Original review: March 4, 2018

My brother and I shopped around for the best price on a stereo we wanted for our older mother for Christmas. I found a good price on B&H Photo's website. The item notes stated 4-7 business days for availability and then free expedited shipping. I purchased it on December 5th -- plenty of time to receive by Christmas. On Dec 17th, I still didn't have the item, so I contacted them and was told the item would be shipped after Christmas -- on Dec 29th. We were terribly disappointed, but decided to live with this because, by now, the item was out of stock locally and the price had gone up elsewhere.

Well the new date promised to us came and went and we did not receive the stereo but instead just received a form letter backorder notification. Every few weeks I would call and was told they couldn't give me any more detail, just that it was on backorder. Because I paid on PayPal, they had my money, but refused to go to bat for me with the manufacturer to get a firm date for the stereo. We wanted to cancel, but it was my mother's gift and she really wanted that particular stereo. I tried repeatedly to ask them to make more of an effort to resolve this with the manufacturer, but when they said their buyers would look into it for me and get back to me, I would just get the same useless form letter saying the item was on backorder.

Today (3 full months after the fact), I found the item on sale directly with the manufacturer for only $30 more than the price I paid through B&H photo, so I cancelled my order and purchased it directly through Onkyo. If it's in stock with the manufacturer, surely the retailer should be able to push for their stock for a 3 month outstanding order? This is how you lose a customer and drive them to write angry reviews like this one. Thanks for nothing B&H! Not once did you make me feel like you went to bat for me as your customer. If you had any decency, you would refund $30 to me for the additional cost of having to buy it directly from the manufacturer. This wouldn't recover my lost time, the Christmas gift fail, the fact you had my $200 for 3 months or the frustration with your lack of help every time I reached out, but it would at least be the decent thing to do.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I can buy a MacBook from Apple and return it for full refund within 14 Days. When you buy from B&H you own it regardless. They "might" take it back for a mere 15% restocking fee. IMHO, these people are used junk dealers that have obtained some dealer authorizations. I'll never buy anything from them. It's a NYC based company that haven't adapted to a consumer trends.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

I ordered a OB (Open Box) monitor from B&H. I had a question on what sort of warranty it would have. They got back to me online chat with the answer right away. It had the same warranty as a new one. A used monitor would have a 90 day warranty. Since the price was 10% lower, I went with the OB. Delivery was stated as 3-5 days. I received it in 3 days in Madison, WI. It was very well packed and the monitor is working perfectly. I have used B&H for many items over the years and they have always had great customer service, great prices and a great warranty. I would rank them equal to Amazon and Newegg.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I’ve purchase from them DJ equipment and everything went smooth the day I purchased and the items was guaranteed that will come in two days or even three days. What it been fine! What happened the item didn't even ship by that time, calling them and getting someone to help was impossible 'cause they close early on Friday and Saturday they don't work, I had to rent the equipment because the item didn't arrive on time, finally I got in touch and they didn't wanna stay behind their mistakes caused by their salesman... which cost me $ (renting the equipment) and for $30 they didn't even wanna work out on discount but they chose me to return the product and lose a customer. Be careful with this company 'cause they don't stay behind their product or mistakes and you will end up paying from your own pocket. Don't trust them or whatever they say, they are far behind Amazon and some other Companies.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

B&H stole $300 from me. BUYER BEWARE! I thought I was getting a deal by buying from them for no shipping and no taxes. I ordered 2 TVs from B&H on November 22, 2017. No one contacted me until 12 days after about Shipping the merchandise. They held the merchandise at the shipper and claimed they contacted me numerous times. (They called me twice and I responded and called them back twice And asked me to confirm shipping... and I did.) B&H called the shipping company and told them to return the merchandise without my permission. They charged me $300 restocking fee. So basically, they stole $300 from me and I have no merchandise. I'm now in the process of suing them for my money back. Terrible business! DO NOT BUY FROM B&H! Horrible customer service. Really upsetting!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I received my package and all items were in good condition. I have gone out and done some image captures with my new Fujifilm GFX 50S and 32-64 mm zoom lens. The images seemed to be really good, but I won't know until I download them into the raw file recommended in the owner's manual. I am having a hard time trying to download the images without success so far. Other than that the camera seems to be in good working order and so far I am pleased with my Fujifilm camera. I wish it was warmer outside, I would be taking more pictures. I was really nervous about buying such an expensive item over the internet. I wasn't sure of the outcome and was anxious to receive my package and check it out. So far it looks good. Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I've ordered from B&H Photo a couple of times now, and each time it was a pleasant experience, and they seem to really care about their customers. Each time my order was shipped the same day, and was free. Excellent!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

B&H did an excellent job delivering the order the following day. Online ordering was simple and straightforward. The website product description was clear and detailed. They had confirmation every step of the way so one knew the order had been confirmed, shipped, received without any doubt.

B&H Photo Company Information