2.97/5
Based on 1,222 ratings submitted in the last year

2450 Charter Communications Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

It is just getting too costly to be able to watch TV these days. I am tempted to try one of those sticks (Roku?) instead of paying so much for cable each month. Are use it for my cable also and I am not the best and all these new electronics so I need help finding something that would be a much better deal.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Not worth the 175 dollars a month I pay per month. There is very little competition so a consumer only has two companies to choose from for service. They have you by the short hairs... It's a lose lose lose situation.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I have a spreadsheet of all of the times I cannot get service from Spectrum/Charter. I pay my bill on time & it is INEXCUSEABLE that my service is so lousy. I pay for 100 mbps download speed and have NEVER remotely tested it that fast. It’s dishonest to give 43 MBPS & charge for double that. They almost always say there is an outage in my area when I call. Then fix it! There is a huge thread on the App NextDoor of enraged customers.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

They are getting too expensive, they raise their price all the time, if I didn’t need the internet I would cancel Charter. Not happy with their prices and service, our cable acts up all the time... and I have only internet.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Internet is OK. TV has been terrible to poor. Many problems first 2 years & service stinks. After many trips still have audio & picture freezes, sometimes screen goes to blank gray. One call changed main box & tech said we did not even have HD. 1220 ft. of mainline changed & better but still have intermittent issues several times a week. Occasional lines of jumbled pixels. For over a month had no channel guide. CAN YOU SUE A CABLE CO.???

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charter Communications?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

It has so many problems such as slow download of channel, pixeling effect on tv, temporary blackout. Also very high price. Would love to select channels only rather than package plan and keep my paid receiver!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

We had Time Warner Cable for 30 years with no problems. When they were bought by Charter's Spectrum our troubles started almost immediately. Prices rose sky high for internet, cable & phone. While the quality of all decreased dramatically. Cable boxes don't work half of the time, Wi-fi is terrible, but worst of all is the customer service. They are rude, have no knowledge of equipment, etc... When we had any problems with Time Warner, they were polite, helpful and would actually give you a deal on price and packages. This company should not be allowed to operate in this state (New York) or any other state. They are a monopoly where we live, so it is either them or basically nothing.

Their prices are outrages and when we call about service they act like they could care less. Would not even slightly recommended Spectrum to our worst enemies (only ones we have are Spectrum). They could not have kept the previous Time Warner employees unless they retrained them to be stupid and rude. We heard they may be leaving New York--can't be too soon for us. Would rather go back to an antenna on the roof. For $165.00 a month we don't receive any premium channels and don't get many basic cable channels, like Turner Classic Movies (TCM). Basically just a repeat of channels we don't want.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

New customer was told by sales that our bill would be $174 per month with taxes. The way they worded, the $174 sound that that included the taxes. Never told about the $200+ install fee. Told the internet would be 500mb at $49 per month, bill reflected 400mb at $69. Thought DVR recording was included, support said no, it would be an extra charge to record. When wiring was installed they pulled up the newly placed sod, laid the cable under the patches of sod then they didn't place the sod be properly. Will take the box back in to them, keep the internet and we have returned to streaming. At first we tried AT&T, they kept canceling the install appointment without notifying us of the cancellation, got rid of them. Work with them for the return and with the assistance of higher managed, they treated us well.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I moved to Tampa in October and set up Spectrum installation for the last week of October. The house is a new construction so the installation technician had to start from scratch and I could tell that wasn't news he wanted to hear. He asked me questions from the outset that basically were questions you'd ask if you want to cut corners. He made a huge mess in my garage from accessing the attic and didn't complete the job. I wanted two cable outlets (one for the living room and one in a bedroom) with boxes. He did the living room and said I could "call back in" for the other. I called back in the following week and had the displeasure of speaking with Tammy. I told her I needed an appointment for installation completion and she told me all I ordered was 1 outlet/1 box. I had the confirmation e-mail that said otherwise. So she got snippy with me and finally was going to set up the completion, but wanted to charge me $50 for them to come out.

I refused and we went around again until she finally said she'd waive it. When I asked about other hidden fees, she spoke to me like I was 5 years old but didn't actually answer the question. I then received the confirmation e-mail which, lo and behold, had those extra fees I'd asked about. I wasn't about to pay more/month to receive what I'd originally agreed to at a lower price. I called back in and they said that was the pricing for those services, boxes, etc. I told them that didn't align with what I'd confirmed online and it was about a $20 difference. Between the lazy technician, Tammy being Tammy, and the dishonesty with billing, I told them to just cancel my account. So I had service for about 8 days, if that.

Fast forward to December. The community is still building homes in the neighborhood and they were working on the home next door. The cable guy ran the cable from my attic, to the attic next door (of a new construction home that didn't even have a roof at the time) and to the cable box on the other side of that home. So he basically trespassed on a construction zone and made alterations to a home under construction (isn't that a felony?). If you choose to go with this company, please be aware of fees and watch the technician during installation. They evidently have no problem utilizing your neighbor's property to string the cable line.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Service goes out once a week on average for several hours at a time. Wish we had an alternative company in our area. We are stuck with Charter and their extremely unreliable service. They are also our main provider for Internet. Their lines are constantly breaking and upgrading is desperately needed.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

We only have internet. It is unreliable and weak... and we just got a price increase. Wish that we had another option for internet service but this is the only choice. We are hoping AT&T becomes available in our area.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Our TVs pixelate every few minutes. Wifi goes out everytime it rains, gets foggy, or temperature changes up or down. Charter has traded out their boxes half a dozen times this year, put a new booster in the house, ran two new lines around the yard, pulled new wires through the walls. Techs and operators don't communicate. Horrible business plan. Must be a monopoly enterprise. Awful, awful. Awful. Not worth $200/month.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Most their reps do a good job but I have only basic programming and it is very costly. Some channels go in and out. Only service that has internet in my area. If someone had good reliable service I would change.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Terrible service, always pixelates picture. Automated phone service is useless and you can't reach real people. No one ever knows what's going on as far as outages go and they're not helpful at all. I wish I could go somewhere else than Charter but they've managed to monopolize the cable in my area. I hope someone from Charter Spectrum see this. You people stink!!! Your service is a joke and your hardware is outdated junk!!! I can't wait to leave you!!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

Yes - Spectrum has been gouging their customers for a long time. Many of them won't even know about Spectrum's fairly new Streaming tv choice option until after turning in their set-top box. I think it is still kind of a secret and not widely advertised. Cord Cutting is a big step only for the brave. It would be best to ask a Spectrum rep in person about Spectrum TV Choice and the very best deal they can offer. All you would need is a device like Roku which most people have already. So, I will stay with Spectrum Internet and Streaming TV at a drastically reduced rate for the time being and then there are many other options to try before going back to cable tv.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

We used Brighthouse for 7 years, then used Spectrum when they merged. We were leasing a condo for several years, but decided to have a home built recently. A month ago, we moved out of the leased condo into temporary housing until our new home is built and ready in a couple months. We told Spectrum we were moving into temporary housing, and we were going to resume service with them when we moved into the new home when it's built. In the meantime, Spectrum rep told us to disconnect the equipment, keep it with our possession with our stored furniture/belongings in the "POD", which is in storage in a warehouse and not accessible until our home is ready to move into.

One month after we disconnected service and were put on "seasonal" hold, we received a bill for $300, but we aren't even using the service, or the equipment!!! We just spent 2 ** hours on the phone, with supervisor etc. They said that we owe them for the equipment (as if we stole it)... when it was their rep that said to hang on to until we move into new home... We won't be charged for it, just call them when we move in and they'll send out a technician to install it in new home.

Well, we just received a $300.00 bill for a service and equipment that is disconnected and not being used, and was supposed to be put on hold (not cancelled). They're charging us $150/box (we have 2 receivers) because they screwed up and CANCELLED OUR SERVICE, instead of putting it on hold. And they refuse to change the status... saying they can't, because another person is now leasing the condo we formerly lived in a month ago or some crap like that. So, after 2 HOURS on the phone, numerous reps and supervisors... they said... "Sorry about your luck, but if you don't pay the $300.00 bill, they'll turn it over to a collection agency..." for a service that isn't connected, and equipment we aren't using (that THEIR rep told us to hold onto until we move).

NOW, when we move, we will definitely NOT use Spectrum. We'll find ANY service, but theirs. Brighthouse was always great to deal with, until Spectrum and Charter bought them out. Now they SUCK! My wife and I just had the worst 2 hours... We're both at our wit's ends. I'm screaming and losing my temper on the phone. Now my wife is all upset at them and ME! Spectrum is the MOST INEPT, INCONSIDERATE miserable company/reps/business practices I've EVER EVER EVER experienced.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

My email's password is not working. I tried their online automated system and it has not record of our account. Their automated phone system does not work being I press 1 for tech support and nothing happen, so I press another number and hung up after listening to their music, commercials for 10 min. I'm getting a Gmail account!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Lol. It is no coincidence that most of these reviews are 1 star rated, and I would give it less than one or half star (at best). Spectrum has lied and cheated me out of reliable services, so do NOT subscribe to their TV App unless you like to pay for channels that you can't watch. For example, ESPN2 has not worked for over 3 mos and I have been told that testers are working on the problem but will not release any updates until 2019. There have been several technicians at my house and each has told me something different every time.

In fact, I had to escalate my ticket after 7 technicians came out and couldn't fix the problem. They dug up and replaced my outside lines 2x because the 1st time the idiot split the wire when hand digging it. After this they sent Supervisors out to my house several times and still the can not watch ESPN2, MLB NETWORK, TBS, TNT, NBC SPORTS, ETC. If you like getting ripped off and like to spend countless hours calling in to Spectrum, then this is the best choice! If you are like me and have a full time job along with 4 kids with little to no time to mess with crappy service then do NOT get TV service from Spectrum!!!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I’m moving to Florida from a different state. On Nov 8, 2018, I requested service for my new address in Florida. The Customer service agent had me on the phone for 25min. I thought I was all set with my request which included 5 boxes. When I received confirmation email, I noticed the agent put address wrong and decide to call back. This new agent let me know that I was lied to. That the given price was for 2 boxes not 5.

It doesn’t ends there. This “new helper” walked me through a new and higher price for the service I wanted and since I was tired of being lied to, I agreed to this new plan. 5 boxes and a higher price. Called today 9/9 as I never received email from this second deal to find out THIS SECOND AGENT LIED TO ME TOO. The new price he gave me didn’t include 5 boxes. It included 4. This company customer service is the worse in the whole world. The person I spoke to put me on hold and after 10 minutes of waiting on a supervisor, I hung up because no one answered. This is very stressing and unprofessional.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Spectrum went all digital on September 5th 2018. Received 2 boxes from them. On one of my TVs I connected it, and it fried my HDMI ports, was unable to connect anything to it, and no picture was coming out. Had to go into Spectrum store to switch out with a cable box with a box that had composite outputs. After connecting that cable box I was able to get picture, but my HDMI ports were still not working.

Put in a claim with Spectrum. They sent out a tech to investigate. He test my HDMI ports and saw my HDMI ports were not working, tech said he couldn't do anything without original box. After weeks they couldn't find box to test it. I had the impression they didn't believe me, and they ask for proof of exchange... Sent tech a picture of the receipt, they still couldn't find the box. After weeks of waiting got an email saying they denied my claim. This is ridiculous. Broken flat screen TV and veeerrry poor customer service. After year with them I canceled my service and will never go back.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

As you can tell by the ratings these guys are crooks. I had internet, TV and phone installed in June of 2014. Shortly thereafter Charter made a systemic change and picked up a piece of equipment. When I canceled service in January of this year, they asked for that equipment back. After complaining that it had been picked up shortly after going with them, they finally agreed to remove it from the account but they did not return the money they had been overcharging me for the past three years. I finally got pissed after talking to a girlfriend who had the exact same thing happened to. I can only imagine how many others have been affected. I'm looking forward to finding out.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

At my mom's house over the holidays, I was hoping to help her upgrade her internet to something faster. This is in St. Louis, MO. I called Charter to discuss options. I was told that since my father was the account holder, he would need to be present for any changes. I informed Charter that my father was in a nursing home, bedridden, suffered from dementia, and that my mother had power of attorney. They wouldn't budge. I point blank asked the customer service rep if he really wanted me to go to the nursing home, get three nurses to move my dad from bed to a wheelchair, and then drive him into the store. His response, "That's our policy." Well, it's a dumb policy, you're a dumb person and Charter is a dumb company.

If you HAVE ANY OPTIONS WHATSOEVER, AVOID CHARTER LIKE THE PLAGUE. I haven't even started on the billings that were wrong, broken promises about "locked in rates" (HAHAHA), crappy picture quality on HD channels and slow speeds on our internet. I don't have time to talk about all the ways Charter has disappointed me in the 20 years I've had to suffer their services either as a subscriber or a visitor to family members with Charter, but I thought I would explain how they required my father to come in to their store to change a friggin' internet plan.

I'll send my emails via smoke signals before I even put my name on a Charter contract ever again. My father died within a few months of that idiotic exchange, so I guess we'll never get an opportunity to change or upgrade our internet. Thanks for your compassion, Charter! I'm glad I was able to support your profit margin, since that's all you care about.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I really hate this company. I have gone through 4 dvrs now. They keep saying nothing is wrong with them except for 1. My dvr now a new one keeps rebooting all the time. I lose everything. The guide says tba, I lose the menu buttons, it takes a while to come back on. My channels have audio problems voices go in and out sometimes the pictures pixel. I wish Dish network would buy them out. Get rid of them for good.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Spectrum came to do a digital switchover at our hotel's property on October 12th. They came 2 hours late, after they said they would be there at 10 am to ensure that they were finished before our guests started checking in. They then left at 4 pm before even confirming with us that they were leaving and that all of the boxes were correctly installed. So, as we are having a full house of people arrive, we start finding out that at least 1/4 of the boxes were installed incorrectly or completely faulty. We then call Spectrum, no later than a half hour after their crew left, and ask them to come back to correctly install the boxes that weren't working. They tell us they will have someone right out.

11 days later, on October 23rd, and Spectrum had still not showed up. We called or emailed every day up until that point and were constantly met with "we have escalated your service order" or "someone will be out there later today." We went 11 days with a dozen or more out of order rooms because Spectrum could not be bothered to come fix what they incorrectly installed. Finally, I was able to get in contact with an account manager for the region, and he was able to actually escalate the order and had someone out in less than 3 hours. For them to provide service like this to a business is unacceptable. We lost revenue due to Spectrum's carelessness and poor customer service. I would suggest using another provider if there is one available to you. - A frustrated hotel manager.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

We were with AT&T Direct. Charter stated they would pay our fees up to 500.00 that were for our early disconnection fees with Direct. That was in May. Our last bill with Direct was 180.00 and our early disconnection fees came to 344.00. I paid the 180.00 right away and followed Charter's directions for the 344.00 fees. They sent 30.00 in July. I have been after Charter constantly. You can't talk to a real person in the department that handles it. You talk to a person in billing and they understand and apologize and say they are prioritizing it and you never hear back. I got a letter from Charter 2 weeks ago, this is now October 26th, stating, "Congratulations we have approved 266.00." Still haven't gotten that and what happened to the 78.00 minus the 30.00 they did send? Do not trust Charter!!! Go elsewhere. Anywhere. Stream all the channels you want, Amazon, Netflix, HULU, anything. Stay away from Charter.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Called Spectrum Charter to set up Internet Service ONLY in the Greenville, SC area, due to a flyer that came to my home. I was told there would be no installation fees or one-time setup charges. When the day came for installation, they had me signed up for voice phone service and misquoted pricing. I only wanted internet service. They also tried to tack on installation fees and setup fees that I told them beforehand I would not pay for. Spectrum is a deceptive company. I canceled the order on principle that they are a dishonest company. You can't go on anything they say. If I could give them a -10, I would. They need to be investigated for bad business and deceptive practices.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Spectrum would have been my last choice for internet but I live in a condo association where satellite dishes aren't allowed... so Spectrum is the only choice. The service as Brighthouse was so bad I went over a year without cable at all and if it weren't for an aging mother I'd go without. The only time I watch is for the NFL games. While the cable TV is fine the internet is a joke. The Spectrum App can't go two full plays without buffering and while Speedtest.net claims the speed is 90mbps (I'm paying for 100mbps), the games are unwatchable. Buffering, then a play starts, stutters and jumps forward so you miss everything. I actually took screenshots of every time it happened last week and I had a folder of over 50 images (for ONE half of football).

I called Customer Service and they informed me they couldn't help because "I didn't have their cable modem." You mean the modem that has been proven to slow down speeds even more and costs $10/month? Yeah, no thanks. Needless to say, they didn't help. I can watch a game on Amazon Prime and I don't think it's ever had a problem during the entire broadcast. Spectrum can't go TWO plays. If you have ANY other options I'd urge you to choose anything else. I've been looking for something else (WOW, etc) and they haven't reached my area yet. $100+/month for cable and internet and you can't stream TV to any device. Great job Spectrum.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I have had Charter for internet for several years. Reliability has been acceptable over that time frame and they have increased throughout speeds as well. On the other hand, Charter support doesn't seem to know anything about their own technology. I've been using the Charter SMTP server for years and it has worked well. A week ago, I could no longer access the SMTP server (the destination for out-going email from my PC). I called, asking what changes had been made to the email SMTP server and was told no changes had been made. Further, the support person said the error message generated by their SMTP server was actually generated by my email client. I gave them the error code but they didn't have the documents to tell me what the error code pertained to. After going around a while, listening to them tell me I'm generating their error codes, I gave up with support and started digging into my side.

It appears that they had changed a setting which previously had been that SSL was optional to SSL encryption was now mandatory. Charter techs had made a change but hadn't relayed the information to their support personnel. That frustrating enough, but when the support people try making up nonsense to place the blame on the user, it's a bit too much. Their change to make SSL mandatory was a good thing on their part, but normal operating procedures would be to publish the change to the users using non-SSL connections (which they would have in their logs) and to inform their support people of the change being made. With this poor approach, they just make their support staff look like idiots and frustrate their users. I pity any Charter user that isn't sophisticated enough to realize when their support people are lying to spewing nonsense.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Service was out again today, we called Spectrum to let them know and the agent that took our call said, "So what if you missed the game - I didn't get to see it either because I'm working - oh, that's probably not funny." We were paying customers up until that comment - cancelled our service on the spot - agent continued to be very rude until phone call was over. We will NEVER use this TV service in any form again.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Internet connection is unstable. WiFi calling unstable. Streaming TV app crashes upon start up every day. Fox News not offered with streaming TV yet, CNN & CSPAN are conveniently provided... Fox news app is also not supported by Charter Spectrum. I do not appreciate having sources of information excluded from me or to the public. This is an obvious display of the company's political bias. Charter Spectrum is filtering critical political information to the public as they see fit. This is a perfect example of how the media manipulates the masses by withholding information.

Charter Communications Company Information