ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Request Information
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.92/5
Based on 1,172 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Charter Communications Reviews

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

I have been a Spectrum customer for years. I called to cancel my service on Nov 14th and was told I had 10 days to return the equipment. I returned the equipment within the 10 day period. However I received a bill saying I owed 318$ since I didn’t return everything the same day. The representative stated I was being charged because the equipment wasn’t returned before my next billing cycle. I was never told or does it state anywhere on the website that the equipment needs to be returned the day it is canceled. I called spoke to multiple managers which they said they will escalate the issue and get it taken care of which is was not. Long story short I received a letter from sunrise credit services stating I owe 318$. Which now it effects my credit. You would think when you cancel your service it will be canceled that day.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I have been a Charter customer for a long time and always pay my bill on time and I do like my service and the internet is alright. I just don't understand why they keep raising the price on my bill every year even though I haven't made any changes to my service. They treat new customers better than they do the ones who have been loyal for years. I called to see if there was something I could do to help lower my bill but they said there was nothing they could do which I find pretty hard to believe. I guess they would rather lose a customer instead of trying to resolve any issues with them. I've seen other companies offer to set you up on another promotional offer but this lady had no interest in anything I was saying.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I have been a Spectrum subscriber for over 5 years. I did a chat with one of their representatives about 3 weeks ago asking about pricing to change the plan I was on. I was quoted $181 for cable and internet, but was told I had to call in to finalize it. After calling in I was told $181 would be the price but I had to wait until today to change plans because of a promotion I was on that was expiring today. This seemed completely made up since I couldn't possibly be under any promotion after 5 years but I agreed to call back today.

I called back today to finalize everything and was told my price would be $213. I asked what happened to the $181 price we agreed to. I was told they could see that I was quoted that price and they could see all of the notes from our prior conversation but they would not honor the price and the best they could do was $213 and was given a sales pitch about a different plan if I wanted anything cheaper. After speaking to a supervisor and still getting nowhere I chose to cancel my service and would encourage anyone that reads this to avoid this deceitful company.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

Sounds great for the initial period. Then the charges get higher and higher! They will not negotiate with you, would rather lose you as a customer. To top it off, the cable is terrible. My video is pixelated, mutes itself, stutters, on demand is sketchy and keeps stopping. I had two boxes, returned one and my bill conveniently got jacked up the difference so they didn't lose any money. Go figure! They will also not prorate at all, so make sure you return any equipment or cancel any services prior to your bill date or you are paying for the full month anyway. They have absolutely zero customer service once they have you on the hook. It's their way or the highway, literally.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

Been a Spectrum customer for years with a good record of paying my bills. I had two accounts one for my sister and one for myself. Decided to move out of the area on weekend of Friday Nov. 1st 2019. Monday November 4th, 2019 I decided to turn in my equipment for the two accounts I had with Spectrum and to have the services stopped since they don't have their service where I'm moving to. Turned it in and canceled my services. Shortly after I received a bill for $332.00. So I called support about it and they told me that since I canceled on Monday Nov 4th which is the first day of the next pay period that I had to pay the full amount for Nov.

The bottom line is that Sunday was the end of the billing cycle which to me is not a business day. I asked if they would wave it and told me they would take it to their supervisor and I would get a call on the issue. I received the call and the supervisor said that I would have to pay it. That alone tells me he did no research or he would have saw that the ending pay period. I truly believe that Spectrum needs to educate their supervisors on business ethics and not fear of making ethical decisions. PLUS yesterday I received a letter from Sunrise Credit Services a collection company. Not fair or ethical. Sunday is not a business day.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charter Communications?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

I enjoy a number of HGTV home reno programs, which wait till the end for the big reveal. But On Demand often ends the show 5 or 10 minutes early, just as the homeowners are opening the door. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough. I feel like a chump after wasting an hour, watching pipe fittings and asbestos abatement, without ever seeing the results, and I'm going to suggest to my family that we discontinue this service. I notice that despite lacking sufficient time to air the entire program, there always seems to be time to show plenty of ads. Many of them even air multiple times during the hour. What a colossal rip off.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

We bought a package. They said the bill would not go up for 3 years. What do you know? After 12 months it went up $30. They lie. It is called bait and switch illegal. I will be making complaints to FCC and attorney general. If they have done this to you please let me know. One of my co workers had been promised the same contract and they did the same thing to him.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

Horrible company! Proceed with caution if you decide to use their services. They charge for services that they do not render and have blatant disregard for customer billing concerns. I’ve been charged for cable boxes that the company never delivered. Also, I tried to cancel my cable service 1 day after my billing cycle restarted and was told that the service would be cancelled immediately, but I would be charged full price for the full month- despite my only having the service for 1 day. Customer service and managers saw nothing wrong with this. Their response: “other customers have complained about paying for services that we are not providing... but this is the way companies are doing things... our competitors will agree”. These are corporate crooks! Beware!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Got Charter service, 1ST independent contractor came out to do the work. Ask me for tool, he left garbage and plate off.. Only turned one t.v. on. Said office paper work called for one t.v. I went to charter office in Athens, AL to see about getting other t.v. box turned on. I checked in. I was #1 on the list, but they keep taking people ahead of me. Some not even checking in. This is the worst customer service ever. I'm going back to DirecTV. Charter should close.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

They were great in Montana until I got my service transferred to Illinois when I moved. In the process they changed my billing address to a different place where I had no way of knowing it was then not going to be getting paid because I had a payee at the time, and this was despite three different times in the call I told them to leave the billing address as it already was, but this didn't become an issue until later.

After they prepped my new house to be cable ready, over the course of a couple of weeks I ended up calling them 8 times and them coming out 4 to inspect because of intermittent connection issues they told me on the phone they were picking up every single time I called. The fourth time a supervisor came out while I wasn't at home and my family was here and I was informed I was being charged $50 because the supervisor could find nothing wrong except the modem and router were physically too close and I had called them too many times over this issue. In the meantime my friends who work as IT confirmed this is an absolute lie. Coincidentally it started working fine and after I made threats over the phone to cancel my service, they waived the $50 charge.

Then suddenly my internet was shut off without warning because of an unpaid bill for months. In the process of trying to pay this off, I kept getting told there were two accounts associated with my name. When I asked what the second one was they then couldn't find any record of it in the same call with the same same person who told me two accounts were associated. Calling them later to pay the final $109 on December 4th, 2019 they informed me there was no record of me owing anything that I specifically mentioned but that the service would have to be turned back on outside my house, and I was transferred to another person who then said this wasn't true at all about the service having to be turned back on and I would be mailed new equipment that would arrive in 4-5 days and be sent the standard bill for the first month of service and $9.99 for equipment.

Fast forward to today the 11th and the equipment still hadn't arrived. I just got off the phone with them telling me they do have a record of that $109 and so the equipment delivery was cancelled, wasting another week of my time now. I am now waiting until 8am to call the next best ISP I could find because I literally cannot get service through these guys because I gather their entire staff has absolutely no communication between each other and their system containing records and information is not global to all employees at their company at all where some can't pull up any information at all related to you while others can.

Spectrum was great in Montana and I had absolutely no issues at all. If you live in Southern Illinois however, I don't know what is wrong with their staff, but something is horribly wrong and they can't do basic level service or give you basic level account information half the time. I was a customer for 3 years in Montana and in less than 3 months they have managed to be so incompetent it's impossible to get internet through them at all. I would pay the $109 and not write this review, but given everything above, I don't trust them at all here to be able to get me working service even if I were God himself giving them all the help they need.

Not sure about Charter Communications?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right satellite or cable TV provider for you.

Charter Communications expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1993, Charter became a Fortune 500 company in 2001 and serves more than 6 million customers nationwide. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri.

• Tiered bundle pricing: Consumers can add extra channels to their package, as desired, with three tiered options along with bundled Internet and telephone service. Plans range from 125 to more than 200 channels.

• Fiber available: Customers in select areas can use fiber connections for extra high-speed Internet.

• No contracts: Consumers are not required to sign a contract for the company's bundled services, and they can stop using the service at any time.

• Free HD: Customers receive access to more than 200 HD channels for free.

• Large volume of on-demand programming: Charter offers a high volume of on-demand content, with more than 10,000 titles.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, households on a budget and customers with special interests.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team