1.45/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2438 Charter Communications Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

The worst wifi/internet I’ve ever experienced in my life. We pay so much for the internet to work so little. Terrible connection to mobile devices, and a very hard time connecting to laptops. This is the only company I can use for wifi in my area. I can’t wait to never use Spectrum again.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

So I have just wrapped up my one year service with Charter Spectrum here in Durham, NC and as it ended my initial internet rate of $44.99 has jumped to $ 70.99. When I initially was looking for internet service, as I had just purchased a new home, I was very specific in dealing with them and needed my internet to be around $50.00/ month and they told me, when my initial service was up, just call back and we will work with you to keep your pricing where you need it. Well that didn't happen and as a matter of fact in dealing with them in chat and on the phone, their stance was, "Well your initial discount is over and it is what it is now and we don't have anything else we can do, so if you need to leave us, we understand."

I feel duped, but more so feel like there is no customer service here at all. You get someone who not only pays their bill, but is happy with service and instead of creating loyalty, you're ok with throwing them away with no effort. As soon as another provider is available in my area, I will be moving on and will make sure I let everyone I know, what "great customer" service you will receive.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

This review is for Charter Spectrum services and HIDDEN fees. We tried their streaming tv trial which was supposed to have no contracts or hidden fees and be only $20 a month after the trial. Well not only does their streaming tv stink and has poor features, it added $35.65 to my bill! When I went to cancel their service I find out that they then added $11 to my internet bill for going back to just internet! REALLY! They do not let you know that when you try their crap service they will jack your previous services. So DO NOT try their streaming tv, it totally sucks and they spank you if you don't keep it. They are a bunch of thieves. If you have the option of another service provider choose someone else.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I switched to a stream only package and they continued to bill me for the full cable package. I called multiple times and was told it was their error and put on hold with no one getting back to me for over 40 minutes. Their system recognized I had called when I called back but even though the gal told me she was working on their error and straightening it out, there was no follow through. The amount of time I have wasted trying to sort through a bill error on their part is horrible.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

If I could give 0 starts I would. Charter is the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with. They have increased my bill several times and always say, "Oh after so many months it goes up this amount." So the longer you stay with the company the more you pay. That is absolutely absurd. I am currently on the line with AT&T setting up new services and will be canceling service with Charter. I will go without services before I ever give Charter another penny of my money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charter Communications?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I got the 100 speed internet from Charter Communications but I have never got to 100. I never get any faster internet than 30. When I bring it up to them they say I need to upgrade the equipment but the equipment is from them. They are not willing to help me. I can not wait to leave and get a different internet company.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I called in to ask about upgrading to the Gigabit internet. Was told the $199 upgrade fee would apply because the tech would need to spend several hours at my home upgrading the service lines. When he came out, he literally made a ten minute call, upgraded the service over the phone and never replaced any wiring. I was also told on the phone by the sales rep that they would provide me with a new upgraded modem and router, which they didn’t, because I already had the Gigabit equipment. So basically I was charged a $199 “upgrade fee” for no reason. I have four pages of this situation documented. I filed an FCC complaint. I will now contact my investigative news station to see if they will do a story on these liars!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

No service at our FL home since they are incapable of sharing lines with Xfinity. Therefore I am forced to use their horrible email system. Do not buy or rent in FL until you learn who is to provide your service.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

They promise you the world but give you completely mediocre service. The Internet speed is awful, the WiFi phone service is horrible, the availability of tv offerings is horrendous. I would not recommend this to my worst enemy.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Bill too high for what I get. They have taken channels away that I liked and replaced with really crappy channels. Thinking about going to streaming. Internet says I'm getting 100 MBPS but tests only show about 20. Customer service like talking to someone in Pakistan.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

If I could find a cable provider like I had before Charter bought Bright House I'd jump at the chance to switch. They had excellent customer service-same day service. The price was fair & the product was reliable. Charter jacks up the price $12/year for no reason. The reception is sketchy at best. Repair service is next day or 2 days later, if lucky. Customer service is civil at best, rarely nice. Half the time I can't gain online access to my account. Last month I couldn't gain access to my online account for an entire month & had to pay bill on the phone instead of online, because they couldn't get problem fixed in time.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

It is astronomical prices and very expensive. Most channels are the ones that most people are not interested in. Prices are over the roof for mostly news channels. If I could I would rather extend a Ariel on roof and get the free channels. The people are difficult to get in touch with. Service goes in and out.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Spectrum takes advantage of their monopoly like no other. They keep raising rates while providing no justification for it. They charge me a sports channel tax even though I despise sports channels and would never subscribe to one. I am looking hard to get out of the Spectrum sewer!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Absolutely too high, continue to increase prices. Fixed incomes are not that flexible. I am going to shop other services unless they can help me with the price. They help you and then the next thing you know they have increased it again.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Was ok when it was Time Warner Cable but since Charter/Spectrum has taken over things have got progressively worse. Calling up customer service is very painful & tedious as I have to wait on very long holds only to find out I need to be transferred for even another wait. Internet service fluctuates dramatically & prices are ridiculously high compared to the areas around the globe even. Charter/Spectrum is one of those companies that bucks the axiom "You get what you pay for." It is unfortunate our government allows such mega mergers as Charter/Time Warner Cable, allowing CEO's/shareholders to get obscenely rich while customers suffer the consequences.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

It is just getting too costly to be able to watch TV these days. I am tempted to try one of those sticks (Roku?) instead of paying so much for cable each month. Are use it for my cable also and I am not the best and all these new electronics so I need help finding something that would be a much better deal.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Not worth the 175 dollars a month I pay per month. There is very little competition so a consumer only has two companies to choose from for service. They have you by the short hairs... It's a lose lose lose situation.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Good program lineup. Fast internet. Almost zero downtime. Too expensive, but same as competitive offerings. Rarely have problems and only with scheduling repairs. Customer for more than 15 years. Was the worst, but now the best.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I have a spreadsheet of all of the times I cannot get service from Spectrum/Charter. I pay my bill on time & it is INEXCUSEABLE that my service is so lousy. I pay for 100 mbps download speed and have NEVER remotely tested it that fast. It’s dishonest to give 43 MBPS & charge for double that. They almost always say there is an outage in my area when I call. Then fix it! There is a huge thread on the App NextDoor of enraged customers.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

They are getting too expensive, they raise their price all the time, if I didn’t need the internet I would cancel Charter. Not happy with their prices and service, our cable acts up all the time... and I have only internet.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Internet is OK. TV has been terrible to poor. Many problems first 2 years & service stinks. After many trips still have audio & picture freezes, sometimes screen goes to blank gray. One call changed main box & tech said we did not even have HD. 1220 ft. of mainline changed & better but still have intermittent issues several times a week. Occasional lines of jumbled pixels. For over a month had no channel guide. CAN YOU SUE A CABLE CO.???

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

It has so many problems such as slow download of channel, pixeling effect on tv, temporary blackout. Also very high price. Would love to select channels only rather than package plan and keep my paid receiver!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

We had Time Warner Cable for 30 years with no problems. When they were bought by Charter's Spectrum our troubles started almost immediately. Prices rose sky high for internet, cable & phone. While the quality of all decreased dramatically. Cable boxes don't work half of the time, Wi-fi is terrible, but worst of all is the customer service. They are rude, have no knowledge of equipment, etc... When we had any problems with Time Warner, they were polite, helpful and would actually give you a deal on price and packages. This company should not be allowed to operate in this state (New York) or any other state. They are a monopoly where we live, so it is either them or basically nothing.

Their prices are outrages and when we call about service they act like they could care less. Would not even slightly recommended Spectrum to our worst enemies (only ones we have are Spectrum). They could not have kept the previous Time Warner employees unless they retrained them to be stupid and rude. We heard they may be leaving New York--can't be too soon for us. Would rather go back to an antenna on the roof. For $165.00 a month we don't receive any premium channels and don't get many basic cable channels, like Turner Classic Movies (TCM). Basically just a repeat of channels we don't want.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

New customer was told by sales that our bill would be $174 per month with taxes. The way they worded, the $174 sound that that included the taxes. Never told about the $200+ install fee. Told the internet would be 500mb at $49 per month, bill reflected 400mb at $69. Thought DVR recording was included, support said no, it would be an extra charge to record. When wiring was installed they pulled up the newly placed sod, laid the cable under the patches of sod then they didn't place the sod be properly. Will take the box back in to them, keep the internet and we have returned to streaming. At first we tried AT&T, they kept canceling the install appointment without notifying us of the cancellation, got rid of them. Work with them for the return and with the assistance of higher managed, they treated us well.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Charter (aka Spectrum) has always been reliable and responsive. If a service call is needed they almost schedule it TOO FAST! They will instantly replace an equipment suspected of not working up to par and their support is always there to help. Their online billing system is very user friendly and they do not "hard sell" when approaching them with a problem. They have come a long way and I cannot rate them anything other than *outstanding*.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I moved to Tampa in October and set up Spectrum installation for the last week of October. The house is a new construction so the installation technician had to start from scratch and I could tell that wasn't news he wanted to hear. He asked me questions from the outset that basically were questions you'd ask if you want to cut corners. He made a huge mess in my garage from accessing the attic and didn't complete the job. I wanted two cable outlets (one for the living room and one in a bedroom) with boxes. He did the living room and said I could "call back in" for the other. I called back in the following week and had the displeasure of speaking with Tammy. I told her I needed an appointment for installation completion and she told me all I ordered was 1 outlet/1 box. I had the confirmation e-mail that said otherwise. So she got snippy with me and finally was going to set up the completion, but wanted to charge me $50 for them to come out.

I refused and we went around again until she finally said she'd waive it. When I asked about other hidden fees, she spoke to me like I was 5 years old but didn't actually answer the question. I then received the confirmation e-mail which, lo and behold, had those extra fees I'd asked about. I wasn't about to pay more/month to receive what I'd originally agreed to at a lower price. I called back in and they said that was the pricing for those services, boxes, etc. I told them that didn't align with what I'd confirmed online and it was about a $20 difference. Between the lazy technician, Tammy being Tammy, and the dishonesty with billing, I told them to just cancel my account. So I had service for about 8 days, if that.

Fast forward to December. The community is still building homes in the neighborhood and they were working on the home next door. The cable guy ran the cable from my attic, to the attic next door (of a new construction home that didn't even have a roof at the time) and to the cable box on the other side of that home. So he basically trespassed on a construction zone and made alterations to a home under construction (isn't that a felony?). If you choose to go with this company, please be aware of fees and watch the technician during installation. They evidently have no problem utilizing your neighbor's property to string the cable line.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Service goes out once a week on average for several hours at a time. Wish we had an alternative company in our area. We are stuck with Charter and their extremely unreliable service. They are also our main provider for Internet. Their lines are constantly breaking and upgrading is desperately needed.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

We only have internet. It is unreliable and weak... and we just got a price increase. Wish that we had another option for internet service but this is the only choice. We are hoping AT&T becomes available in our area.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Our TVs pixelate every few minutes. Wifi goes out everytime it rains, gets foggy, or temperature changes up or down. Charter has traded out their boxes half a dozen times this year, put a new booster in the house, ran two new lines around the yard, pulled new wires through the walls. Techs and operators don't communicate. Horrible business plan. Must be a monopoly enterprise. Awful, awful. Awful. Not worth $200/month.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Most their reps do a good job but I have only basic programming and it is very costly. Some channels go in and out. Only service that has internet in my area. If someone had good reliable service I would change.

Charter Communications expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1993, Charter became a Fortune 500 company in 2001 and serves more than 6 million customers nationwide. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri.

• Tiered bundle pricing: Consumers can add extra channels to their package, as desired, with three tiered options along with bundled Internet and telephone service. Plans range from 125 to more than 200 channels.

• Fiber available: Customers in select areas can use fiber connections for extra high-speed Internet.

• No contracts: Consumers are not required to sign a contract for the company's bundled services, and they can stop using the service at any time.

• Free HD: Customers receive access to more than 200 HD channels for free.

• Large volume of on-demand programming: Charter offers a high volume of on-demand content, with more than 10,000 titles.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, households on a budget and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs