Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.93/5
Based on 1,193 ratings submitted in the last year

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Charter Communications Reviews

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

This is an absolutely horrible and shady company. STAY AWAY! The service is shaky at best. It's kinda funny how they used to play all these commercials about how DirecTV was so unreliable but for some reason they are not playing those any longer. Could it be because their service SUCKS? I constantly have interruptions in service both for my TV and Internet. The internet slows down to well under 30mbs (supposed to be 100mbs min) and they pull other shady stuff. For example try to watch TV when you are not on their internet. You will only get the Basic channels, nothing worth watching really. The other channels are only available when you are at home.

Then the app is a whole another story. If you do not have a keyboard on something like oh I dunno an XBox or Roku TV guess what? You CAN NOT USE THE APP AT ALL. They conveniently forgot to allow for entry of UPPERCASE letters, so there is no way to enter a valid username and password to log in. Without logging in you can not use the app... hmmm.... Interesting huh? I wonder if it has anything to do with what I saw last time I had to go pay my bill. There were well over a dozen people returning the cable boxes. They are making the app unusable so you have to rent the boxes. IT'S A SCAM! Please everyone it's well past time we start to fight back against these companies. Drop them and as much as it pains me to say this, go with AT&T. At least they attempt to deliver on promises. Charter is here for one thing, your money and they don't care what they do to get it.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I have been with Charter for about 4 years now. I have seldom had problems with the TV or Internet, however.... Customer Service Experience: I called to cancel the TV plan and keep the internet. After being on hold for about 45 minutes I finally got to talk to someone. My bill had jumped up $50 without me noticing for many months, and they let me know that it was because my 36 month promotion was up. I had not heard anything of this before, but assumed it was my mistake and just asked to have the tv removed. They offered to upgrade my internet from 60 mbs to 400 mbs for a small fee. That sounded great so I went with the tv disconnect and internet upgrade. Here is where the fun began...

The person on the phone could not figure out how to setup this transaction, which is interesting because it does not seem to be an out of the norm request. They said they would call me back within an hour to get an appointment scheduled. About an hour later I get a call from a completely different person who was sent the ticket. I then had to go through the entire process again, and this time the new person said I would also have an installation fee, which was not mentioned before. Fine, so they set it up with the added fee, but she could not cancel the tv service and had to transfer me to handle that. Transferred, on hold for 30 more minutes. This third person had to hear my whole story AGAIN, and only ended up telling me that the service had already been cancelled and he did not have to change anything. I was good to go. (We are now 4ish hours into this process.)

Cable tech never shows up to appointment, so I contact the company again, and this time I am informed that the appointment for the upgrade was never scheduled. Huh go figure... So they schedule a new appointment. Also, it is at this point that I am told that the disconnect happens electronically, and I am responsible to bring the cable box into the nearest office. The tech will not bring it for me when he upgrades my internet. So now I am just praying that the tech actually shows up this time, I can bring my cable box in myself, pay this extra fee I wasn't initially told about, and hope my bill is reduced as I was told it would be.

Absolutely awful experience. The only thing good about them is their products do at least close to what they advertise. If you have another option, go with that.

One more note, this was the second customer service experience I had with them, and as bad as it was-- it was only slightly worse that my first experience. So this seems to be a theme.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I’ve been a customer of Charter/Spectrum for 25 years. The customer service has always been bad, but these last couple years have been a whole new level of suck. I believe they purposely make it difficult to communicate so you do not call and complain. I have finally had all I can take and am looking for a new provider.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Biggest ripoff artist's in St Louis. Not only is the product crap the service is the worst out of any city!! They not only ripped us off but ripped off my parents as well. They hate anyone that does not change and upgrade equipment every 6 months and the foul mouthed ignorant service people hang up and refuse to serve customers. Never will I ever recommend this crap company and personally I think they should be investigated along with Directv as being the only major tv/internet/phone companies in StL almost like a monopoly so they can treat you and charge you anything they want. Bring Xfinity to StLouis to get real service and real great products.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Due to excessive cost and poor service, we decided to cancel our service and go with another communications company. We returned our equipment on July 27. Charter billed us for the entire month From July 26 - August even though we didn't have their equipment or capability to use their service. We could not get the cost reduced or removed. The only thing Charter would do is turn it over to collections and probably hurt our credit rating.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charter Communications?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

After 3 visits from them due to slow internet connection and high monthly payments, we decided to switch to another internet provider. Their rate is too high and at times there is no internet connection. We actually ended up paying $100 to our phone company because of data overage due to unreliable WiFi. But the worst part of it all is when I called to cancel, they did not even have the decency to let me know that they no longer prorate. They are billing me $70 for 2 days of service since I had it disconnected 2 days late of the billing cycle. These companies should be mandated to disclose this information to their customers whenever they want services cancelled not just having it in the bill. Who can read those fine prints??? Not to mention, people do not even get paper bills nowadays. Everything is electronic!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Our internet service has been great, but over the past few years our bill has increased over 10.00 per month for no reason. They say it's because they are providing faster service 60mbps to 100mbps to 200mbps, but I didn't ask for faster service. I was functioning fine at 60mbps when I signed up.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I’ve been a Charter customer for over 15 years. Internet, TV and home phone. I’ve had rate increases but I got a thirty dollar rate increase this month. I had no choice but to cut them off. I had no extra channels either. Highway robbery!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

We had internet and television with them for over 200.00 a month with NO premium channels. I called to see what we could do about the bill and was told the specials were only for new customers. I had been with them over 20 years. I cancelled everything but the Internet, returned the cable boxes to them and started streaming instead. They then started calling me 6 times a day and I had to place myself on the do not call list. The internet bill was 45.00. Then it went up, and up, and up and today, a new bill arrived and it was raised again now to 70.00 a month. I am waiting for an alternative and will dump this company as soon as I can. They would retain more customers if they weren't so greedy.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

We had phone, cable and internet with Spectrum for many years until they started increasing the monthly charges and not giving you any extra services for the increase. We finally cancelled our phone and cable and kept internet only which was a HUGE hassle. We were told our internet only price was $70.99 from then on but after only 2 months it went up $4.00. Our internet service is crappy, goes in and out daily. This company can increase their services anytime they please, it is a greedy company with horrible customer service! They could care less if they have your business and do NOTHING to keep it! Can't wait for another alternative!!!!

Charter Communications expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1993, Charter became a Fortune 500 company in 2001 and serves more than 6 million customers nationwide. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri.

• Tiered bundle pricing: Consumers can add extra channels to their package, as desired, with three tiered options along with bundled Internet and telephone service. Plans range from 125 to more than 200 channels.

• Fiber available: Customers in select areas can use fiber connections for extra high-speed Internet.

• No contracts: Consumers are not required to sign a contract for the company's bundled services, and they can stop using the service at any time.

• Free HD: Customers receive access to more than 200 HD channels for free.

• Large volume of on-demand programming: Charter offers a high volume of on-demand content, with more than 10,000 titles.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, households on a budget and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs