Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.97/5
Based on 1,206 ratings submitted in the last year

2459 Charter Communications Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Good program lineup. Fast internet. Almost zero downtime. Too expensive, but same as competitive offerings. Rarely have problems and only with scheduling repairs. Customer for more than 15 years. Was the worst, but now the best.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Charter (aka Spectrum) has always been reliable and responsive. If a service call is needed they almost schedule it TOO FAST! They will instantly replace an equipment suspected of not working up to par and their support is always there to help. Their online billing system is very user friendly and they do not "hard sell" when approaching them with a problem. They have come a long way and I cannot rate them anything other than *outstanding*.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I just got off the phone with a representative from Spectrum (Charter Communications) due to service issues with my modem. I asked for a supervisor, as this has not been my first issue, and was immediately transferred to the Supervisor Support Team. Please keep in mind that asking for a call center supervisor doesn't necessarily mean you will speak with the type of "Supervisor" you have in mind. Escalations in call centers are handled the same way as normal calls, but rather than speaking to a "floor representative" you will speak to a member of the "Supervisor Support Team". Christopher, the representative I spoke with, was straight to the point, humble, and honest, advising me that the credit the "billing" department would give me is totally separate from any credit I could be due from lost service. He advised that a technical service representative could take a closer look and issue credit for any "lost service" I had experienced.

I explained that I had no interest in speaking with the technical support department, (I cannot stand to talk to tech support), and I would be happy to accept any billing credits offered, and consider the issue resolved. Christopher applied a reasonable credit to my account for the issues I've been having with no additional hassle. I will be replacing my modem at my local store as soon as I get a chance. This was an exceptional experience with Spectrum (Charter) Customer Service, and I endorse this company as having reasonable customer service, in an expeditious manner. If you are considering this service, please, call and talk to someone within the business before blindly taking the reviews to heart. I had an exceptional experience. Thank you to anyone that took time to read this in its entirety and thank you Spectrum for resolving my issue. 5s across the board!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

I was a customer of Charter/Spectrum in upstate New York for close to 11 years. I was happy generally with their internet service and enjoyed the movie channels (a little overpriced, but the market tends to be that way). About eight years ago, a technician came to my home and sold me a modem which I paid but for which I have no receipt. I moved last month and returned my boxes and equipment - all but the modem which I had genuinely purchased. The party line is, "Charter/Spectrum never sells its modems." That may be, but someone once did. I moved out of the country and am being charged for a modem I never rented. Good company.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

We can't believe the programming we are having to pay a high monthly amount to view! ION used to be one of our favorite channels. Now, they have stuck Criminal Intent on in the AM. It is a tired, boring, worn out series...and now Law and Order that is shown all day long on multiple channels, is on ION in the A.M. Then there is NCIS on Fridays and Sundays all day long....BORING!!!!

Spectrum added all of these new channels that we would NEVER upgrade to due to more lousy programming!!!! Our neighborhood has block parties all summer long, and the subject of the Spectrum programming, unfortunately, comes up! It's a shame viewers have to pay to even view TV, but we are in a money hungry world. Thank goodness for Netflix, and other alternatives. We hope Programmers aren't getting paid much because their taste stinks!!!! The vulgarity and promiscuousness is vile. Spectrum's only concern is the bottom line not viewers. You can review the content of these remarks, and we feel certain you won't print it, but it won't stop this from Social Media!!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charter Communications?

Original review: July 26, 2019

We pay for 20Mb download speed and 5Mb upload. Daily internet fluctuates speeds between .5Mb to 7Mb - never more or what is advertised. Internet completely goes out several times daily. Latency is always above 100 ms and has reached 4900ms making doing the simplest things online absolutely miserable. After 10 pm daily internet speed is throttled down to 2Mb and remains this way until 4am. Techs come to diagnose the problem 4 times and always blame the router. I have purchased 3 different routers each time and still the same excuse. All routers have been tested on other connections and work fine.

They always try to get me to upgrade to their wifi equipment for extra money. The connection is so bad it will not support the spectrum tv app or Xbox games. For cable on one tv and this meathook abortion they call highspeed internet my bill is 160.00 per month. I get better speeds using the wifi in grocery stores. When it was Time Warner I never had this problem, speed was always as advertised, rarely fluctuated and latency maintained 25ms. My bill was also 26 dollars cheaper. If it carries the Spectrum logo steer far far away from it.

Original review: July 21, 2019

I have been with Charter, Spectrum, Spectrum Charter or whatever they want to keep renaming their company on and off for over 15 years! By far the worse service I have ever had and the most expensive. When there is rain, snow, wind, heat, cold weather (basically all four seasons in MI), you will not have service. I called within three hours today for ANY kind of update on service and the people I spoke to were not even from my state! I wanted to actually see if Charter trucks were trying to repair service; as this is a common answer from Charter. The woman had no clue where they would be because she was calling me from six states away. I never get credit as they always say “ it was out of their control”. Funny how I can’t use that same excuse when paying the bill I receive monthly.

Charter may I say “I can’t pay it because it was out of my control”? It’s a very greedy, corporate, white collared business with no ethics whatsoever! I strongly believe ANY decent ratings are fabricated by employees of Charter. I have watched reviews for this company for years and they were all negative! It’s been four hours now with no service which means four hours I am losing business and money but that is if of no concern to Charter. They know we rely on internet, therefore they can act like “God” when it comes to how they perform as a business. I have nothing good to say about this company.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Charter Communications has a long and colorful past here in Texas and honestly I would have never chosen them had I known they were Charter because that's their reputation here, but they changed their name to hide their past so folks like me got dubbed into doing business with them unfortunately. This Company is both shameless in their poor customer service and poor products. I can only share that if you choose this company because of low pricing you do so at your own peril as there is no reason to believe they have any internal policies or procedures in place to actually deliver anything but headaches if you ever have a problem or issue with them... heck I have been lied to so many times by this company it is truly amazing. I highly suggest you look hard and wide for another cable provider or mobile phone provider before your allow these folks in your life.

I personally would be hard pressed to fully explain the total nightmare of my experience with Charter/Now Spectrum. I should have run away but I had already disconnected AT&T based on their lies and my daughter is severely special needs and this placed me in a terrible position to provide some TV for her asap. So after they sold me the Fictitious Spectrum and how great it would be and the disappointing reality hit me. It was too late I was already stuck with them, so from scheduling the installation which was a nightmare to the actual horrible install job and damages they created but refuse to repair I really don't know what to say. I can only say honestly this is one of the most shamelessly dishonest and inept companies I have ever encountered. Avoid Them...

Original review: July 5, 2019

I was lifetime customer for 3 accounts. They always overcharged because there was no competition. Now AT&T is competing locally. 2 years ago Spectrum install new account at my back house for 400 m. Installer never install router for us and most likely he pocketed equipment. He told us that Spectrum equipment not good and best to have what we had. When I reviewed list of what he reported that he install I told Spectrum that I do not have router from them and they better remove that from the list. Spectrum inspector showed up and made report which Spectrum never made available to me. I called again and again and keep asking about that and they said that all been taken care of.

4 months ago after end of contract I canceled that account and returned all equipment. They said again that their paper still showing that I still have the router. I told them they inspected and should not be issue still. Received each last 3 months bill for $0:00. Last month by mistake I paid in this closed account amount due for my mom's account. When I called and told them they said that they will mail refund. I got refund today $.80 and they kept $78.00 for router. That is what they told me today when I called today. So hours on line, hour which their inspector and installer they stole my money. I will never ever be their customer, but still have to keep my mom's account for channels that they watch. After 38 years as customer this is what I got from them for my loyalty.

Original review: July 3, 2019

We who live in apartment complexes are suffering corporate greed. In that I mean corporations like Spectrum (Charter Comm.) offers the apartment complex owners (like Colonial Grand) their service we unknowingly sign up for when we lease apartments. The service is intermittent at best and the programming is always downgraded. Channels we once liked are gone and often replaced with commercial ads like Hoover, Bissell, hair replacement, cosmetics, et. al.. We have absolutely no voice in this matter except to pay $50 - $90 per month and endure it. Retired folks watch more TV than younger folks because we have the time. However, to be treated like this by Corporate greed is asinine. Stay away from apartment leases trapping you into bad TV. Stay away from bad TV like the ilk of Charter Communications and their aliases like Spectrum.

Charter Communications expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1993, Charter became a Fortune 500 company in 2001 and serves more than 6 million customers nationwide. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri.

• Tiered bundle pricing: Consumers can add extra channels to their package, as desired, with three tiered options along with bundled Internet and telephone service. Plans range from 125 to more than 200 channels.

• Fiber available: Customers in select areas can use fiber connections for extra high-speed Internet.

• No contracts: Consumers are not required to sign a contract for the company's bundled services, and they can stop using the service at any time.

• Free HD: Customers receive access to more than 200 HD channels for free.

• Large volume of on-demand programming: Charter offers a high volume of on-demand content, with more than 10,000 titles.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, households on a budget and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs