1.27/5
  • 1 star
Based on 874 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 12, 2017

2191 Charter Communications Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Very slow email, constant interrupted signal on smart TV every time channel is changed! It seems that they cannot fix it... despite numerous complaints and visits. I never had problems until Charter took over... no one can give me an answer.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

Worst Internet. We thought there was some issue with the router and replaced it twice. Even after this, the internet is slower than a slug. A "negative star" is more appropriate for this internet service. It was much better when Spectrum was Time Warner. I had an interview and was taking it from home. This ** Internet decided to give up at that exact time! Restarting the router, Reconnecting to the Wi-Fi, restarting the system... nothing worked. I had to use my mobile network's hotspot to take the interview. It is very annoying when movies don't get buffered. There have been many such irritating incidents in the past year since I opted for this network. I am never recommending it. Will change to another network soon.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I recently moved in July 2017 and called to have my service transferred. The rep set up the transfer appointment for me as the same day as my move. I received a call 2 days later telling me that my appointment was canceled due to the new location being a new home and that I would need a line run from the pole to the house. I was told this could take up to 6 weeks and I had a tentative appointment to have the tech set up my service on September 16th as long as the wire was run by that date.

I then received a phone call mid-August stating that the wire was run from the pole to the house and that a tech would be to my house that Friday to finish set up. The tech arrived that Friday and he looked at the pole, then the house and said "There is no wire running from the pole to the house. No one did anything." He said that he could do it but needed access to a room in the house I don't have access to (I rent so I needed to contact the landlord).

The tech was super helpful and called to have another tech come the next day. The following day, I had access to the room he had to get in and he arrived early and ran the internet wire from the pole and finished set up of my internet service. After this was completed, he told me that the construction department would have to bury the wire, they couldn't do that part. I called the construction department and told them I needed to check with the landlord to be sure there wasn't any issue with burying the wire where it was dropped due to ongoing construction on the land.

The rep said they would make this note in my record and that before the wire is buried, someone would be out to place flags showing where the wire would be buried. The rep also stated they would not to not bury the wire until I called back to confirm it was ok to do so once I got approval from the landlord. The next day, I got home and the wire was buried. I hadn't even called them to confirm this was ok!

Fast forward to November 27th. I come home and notice that none of my devices were connected to the internet. I reset my modem and still nothing. I then call Spectrum and hear an automated voice asking me if I was calling about my appointment the following day to repair an issue. I had not set up an appointment so I got connected to Customer Service. The rep explained that there was a tech in my area earlier that day that accidentally cut my internet wire. The following day, a rep arrived at 7 p.m. at my house. He tried telling me it must have been my landlord that cut it with the lawnmower (I already told him that it was a tech from his company per the rep). Plus, it's the end of November, no one is mowing the lawn. He stated he couldn't fix it because it's dark out and he doesn't have a ladder tall enough. He then sets me up to have someone come the following day to fix it as an SRO, meaning I don't have to be there.

I called and spoke to a rep after the tech left to confirm details and the rep stated that the work would be completed by the end of the day on November 29th. It's now November 29th at 7 p.m. and still no one had arrived to fix my internet. I called again and another rep tells me the work order states it will be fixed (a new line and the line would be buried) on November 30th. On November 30th, I chatted with a rep online to confirm I was going to have the internet issued fixed that day like I was told. Rep confirmed this with me. Got home at 3:30 that same day and still no one had been there so I called and spoke to a rep.

Rep apologized and escalated my issue. Within an hour and a half 2 Spectrum trucks were at my house and my line was fixed within a half hour. I'm currently looking for other internet options as there is no customer service with Spectrum. There is no reason I should have been without internet when I first moved if a tech could do what I was told only the construction department could do and then I was without the internet for another 4 days because of their error.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

We had Time Warner, and were grandfathered into Spectrum. Ever since the change, the service has gone from Really Bad, to AWFUL. We use the DVR a lot, and many times, the recording we’ve set shows up in the list of my recordings, but when I press play, it’s nothing but black screen. After calling Spectrum, they reminded me that they are not Time Warner anymore and that if I want “better” service I need to switch to Spectrum. I should mention Spectrum costs at least $40 more a month for LESS service, SLOWER Internet speed, and FEWER channels from the premium selection than what we got with Time Warner!!!

Whenever we watch programs the signal goes in and out and many times the picture locks up, -so I call service and they say “did you reboot your box” and we say yes we did. But they still go ahead and reset the box for us and the problem still continues — again they try to UPSELL me to Spectrum, and I tell them THEY NOW ARE The Owners of Time Warner, and are in charge of TWC service! They should be honoring their customers contracts!! A third of the channels we originally PAID FOR, are No Longer Available to TWC Grandfathered customers!!! Awesome!!! So tell me AGAIN, WHY should I switch to Spectrum, spending MORE a Month, for CRAPPY SERVICE??? —Geez, I thought TWC was bad, but Spectrum is the BOTTOM OF THE BARREL.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I spent 45 minutes on my cell phone to address a broken box I have had for several years. They had the worst customer service skills by phone. After I spoke to 3 customer service reps they schedule an appointment for a stranger in my home without my consent. The 2nd time I requested to speak to a supervisor I was on hold for 22 minutes. I requested 35 days credit to my account. 35 is the number of days the equipment has been broken. The credit still not approved. I am writing to let them know this Tuesday a stranger will not be knocking on my door.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charter Communications?

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I have had Spectrum for 2 months. My internet service is worse than 20 years ago when I had dial up. Yesterday I spent 1 and one half hours attempting to get on the internet. It's like this every day. I finally got on the internet and it went off after 2 minutes. I finally just gave up. I am considering going back to my former cable company because it's not worth the aggravation to save a few dollars. Every time I see a Spectrum ad bragging on their internet service, I consider it false advertising.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I have had Charter/Spectrum for over 5 yrs and use their email service. Not once in this time has anything EVER been filtered to my spam folder... filth or not!! I have called and called them, every time getting a different answer! When I tried to forward emails that are very legitimate and have come to me CHARTER blocks me from doing that because they are spam. That happened again today which proves to me they do filter what they determine to be spam. I know they can't catch everything but NOTHING is ridiculous. This is not my first round of calls to them about this issue. When you talk to reps you get nothing but a runaround!! A different answer from each person probably to get you to shut up!! I get told I will get a callback... for the most part it doesn't happen!! What does it take to get these people to resolve issues?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

The service is terrible, TV same all repeats, shows cut in and out. Internet is slow and doesn’t make difference what plan you have. When you call for problems you spend time doing things you all really have done for nothing then you wait half day for them to come out to the house to find NOTHING WRONG and it’s at the pole down the street. We call to see if the price can be lowered and they tell us, "We’re TIME WARNER" AND TO CHANGE TO SPECTRUM. It is MORE MONEY. THE ADS ON TV ARE FALSE. There is no price like that when you order the service. Something has to be done!!! They bill you a month in advance on the bill for a service you haven’t even used yet.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Spectrum is the worst. Never can speak with a person half the time. If you're lucky to finally talk to a person they are never any help. They don't know what going on. Tell you anything. Pay for service that you always have issues with. They constantly raise the rates and service gets worst. They say you can watch. Shows you miss next day. Months go by and the show still aren't on the demand but you go to Hulu. And they are on always something. I've decided to go back to my antennas until Cincinnati Bell gets their cable up here. I give zero stars.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I have been a loyal Time Warner/Spectrum customer for MANY years. I would have to say I am disappointed in the new company Spectrum, that took Time Warner over. Not only have my rates for internet soared but they do not and will not award existing/loyal customers the "new rate". After calling Spectrum, I was told the only way to get a discount is to bundle all services together. While having a "home phone", Cable AND internet isn't totally unheard of in this day and age, many of us have done away with a home phone and many more are "cutting the cord" with all of the ways to save money getting only what you want with a simple antennae, Netflix, Amazon, Sling, etc.

It is my hope that Spectrum will get with the times while also considering customer satisfaction in honoring the loyal customers that they have had. I will be shopping around for a new internet service that does just that. To top off my conversation with Spectrum, there was a follow up survey call that only evaluated the customer service representative, NOT the overall customer service of the company in general which is equally as important. They obviously don't care about that.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

Fire in my building where all residents had to leave and no ability to stay for 3 weeks. Call Spectrum and ask for a 3 week credit on my cable bill. Nope, they insisted I pay for services I could not receive. Worst company in America? They are up there.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

I’ve spent seven hours on the phone talking with Charter representatives from regular CSR‘s to 80 tax to five separate supervisors. I was told multiple times one thing in multiple times and other none of them were on the same page. To start off I had Internet through them which they were charging me a price that I did not agree to. A representative came to my home. Convinced me to try a “free 30 day trial” of their TV voice and Internet. It’s not free. They lie. There is no free 30 day. It is a 30 day money back guarantee that they don’t ever want to honor. I ended up having services disconnected even though I did not want them to be. I am being charged for devices I don’t have and was never given. If you ever choose their bundle and decide you don’t want it after or before the 30 days your previous promotions or Null and void which they don’t tell you when they offer this bundle.

None of the supervisors that you could possibly talk to can make any changes to your bills nor can they fix any problems, they’re basically just people to listen to you complain, tell you what you want to hear and not fix the problem. Some of the CSR’s you talk to my phone are rude not all over. There are a few nice ones that even seem to care but in seven hours of talking to them, I ended up more angry than before. The next step that they’re telling me they’re taking is to re-listen to the seven hours conversations I’ve had with multiple CSR’s and supervisors to see if they can figure out what the problem is. How about don’t overcharge customers, don’t lie to customers and don’t presume that your customers know all the rules that you’re not telling them. And don’t charge them prices for things I don’t have that you never gave. I do not recommend this company to anyone nor do I plan to use it in the future.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

With automatic pay, skip one month. And now with a few day they pretend me to pay this and next month, and late fee (8.45). Solved but not happy at all. Their solution is I have to check every month the it work.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

I will be leaving Spectrum now. They have ripped me off and customer service and service alone is horrible. When I moved I had to transfer services to new apartment so they switched me from Time Warner to Spectrum, took away all credits and discounts I had and I ended up with the higher bill. I lost $150 in credits that they owed me and they will not give me back. They upped my bill saying nothing would change when I transferred. They said nothing will change it. All this changed. Now after nine months I find out that my bill is even going to go up 50 60 bucks higher so I am going to be paying $70 higher than when I was with Time Warner Cable.

Do not go with Spectrum. I am going to leave Spectrum. Phone, internet, cable, all will go to be gone. This is horrible for a lifetime customer to be treated this way. They owe me at least $400 which I am sure I will never get back. Go with Hulu or any of those other areas. Do not use Time Warner Cable or Spectrum. I have had many many problems year after year and now extremely disappointed and been ripped off for a lot of money. When I would call them they would take my information and say they're working on it that month. Later when I call back they would act like they never talk to me. We've been doing this for 9 months now. They tell me my bills even going to go up higher. Ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I had been using TWC internet for years paying 14.99 a month for 3Mbps internet, not very fast but met my needs. First my rate went up to 19.99 without notice. I called to complain and was given the runaround, they claim that the 14.99 was an introductory rate and had expired. This was the new price even though 14.99 was an everyday low price that I had been paying for years. Now due to a change of address they canceled my "legacy account" and started a new one leaving me with no choice but to use the 45.99 minimum plan SPECTRUM offers for internet, I spent a good portion of the day on the phone trying to get my old account back with no success.

I was transferred from department to department just to hear the same lousy "We are sorry but we cannot reactivate your old account. You will just have to use a new SPECTRUM one." Customer relations, tech support, sales dept. ext all the same. So I asked, "Is there anyone in this company that can offer some sort of solution compromise, not just an excuse. If you cannot do anything to solve an issue then what is the purpose of your department," and would get no response. Still no solution and I am without internet service at my apt, no other decent internet providers to go to either. They are all the same price gouging scam.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I’d give Charter Spectrum zero stars if I could! My husband, and I have had Charter Spectrum for over 20 years now. WE HATE IT! Always have, always will. We have no choice but to be "stuck" with them because we don’t own credit cards, nor do we have a checking account in order to be able to get Dish, and other satellite provider, or internet tv service such as Hulu, Apple TV, Stream, etc. If we DID have a checking or credit card, we would change in a heartbeat! Then they have so many bad reviews under Charter Communications that they decide to change their name to Spectrum!?! People are NOT buying that. Why are they just that bad?

Spectrum lies continuously! If I had a dime for every time they lied to me, I would be a millionaire by now! Heck, I would. When I mean they lie all the time is you could have your bill becoming due soon, so you call them to verify the date you have till and they reassure you over and over again that you’re not scheduled for disconnect till after the date you plan on coming in to make the payment. Then all of a sudden a day or 2 before you go in to make your payment you get shut off! You call them to find out why and they lie and pretend you never called to verify, or they say the person you spoke with. They don’t know why they said that when it was all wrong. Then you tell them well I’m looking directly at my bill and it says you shut me off days before the actual date that’s stated in my bill saying I’ll be shut off. Then they say it’s an error. Then you don’t call them at all, and they still shut you off before your bill is even due!

I swear they do this on purpose because they charge you extra money when your service is interrupted, and you want them to turn you back on. They constantly add fees to your bill, they make you pay in advance for services you haven’t even used yet. Also cable and internet goes out ALL THE TIME, and they NEVER give us any credit like they are suppose to when services are down. Not only do we live in a big city, with other surrounding big cities, but we also have a actual Charter Spectrum building in our city.

I could go on and on for HOURS telling you all just how terrible this company is! Now they are taking over and buying out so many other cable companies! That angers me. If I can offer any advice to anyone wanting to get cable, internet or phone... if you’re NOT stuck in the same situation as my husband and I PLEASE PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF THE HASSLE, PROBLEMS, AND MONEY AND DON'T EVER GO WITH CHARTER SPECTRUM!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Trying to cancel my home phone service, called Spectrum they said I needed to call Time Warner and said they would connect, connection was right back to Spectrum. Around and around I went, if I called Time Warner they connected me to Spectrum and no one could help me out. So after 11 phone calls and 1 hour and 15 minutes I give up. This is hilarious, I can't reach my phone company to cancel my phone service. I will drive to my local Time Warner when I'm back in town and take care of it there. I'm sure if this was a bill I wanted to pay it would have been that first phone call and taken 2 minutes. Very disappointed but not surprised...

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

After nearly a year of paying 100+ fees a month for the 300 package we realized we were only receiving 20-22 Mbps. Long story short SEVERAL hours on the phone, being told we didn't complain enough, and still waiting for numerous supervisors to call back I have received no credit. Nothing. Starting off with them offering a 10$ credit to finally a whopping 120$. It's been 2 months. No credit has applied nor have I received even one call back from a single supervisor. BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE. BAD BUSINESS!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

They are a scam to say the least. They THINK they monopolize Orlando and have the right to charge as they please. Their billing practices are unethical so I opted for internet cable and Summit internet. They'll fail eventually and they know internet cable via Roku, Firestick, Smart tv etc. will take them out in a few years so they try and monopolize and suck peoples pockets dry in preparation of their phase out. Awful, awful company. Loyalty and fairness to long time customers is what determines your longevity. Bad business practices and even worse customer service is why this company is headed full speed to extinction.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I had terminated my DIRECTV contract and was charged a $60 fee. Switched to Spectrum and filed a form for my contract buyout. Never received a check or notification after more than a month after I was told it would take up to 3 weeks or I would be notified of a problem exists. I called CS and was told that had made a note of the problem. Still nothing so I call again. No they want me to file another contract buyout form and send it in. No sorry, I did my due diligence already. Your problem now or I will deduct from next billing cycle.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I closed my account and took box back to store. Told them to close account, called for balance and paid. 2 months later I am still being charge for service and when I called they said account was never closed. Service person said they could not authorize cancellation of balance. I am to wait for supervisor to review and call me. Could take a couple of days. Customers should not have to be charged for their poor handling of accounts.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I already had phone and WiFi service with Spectrum. I kept receiving flyers stating if I bundled all three I could get free DVR service for 12 months. I finally upgraded and got the package deal for 29.99 each for one year, but No DVR service! When I called to ask why, the rep said I didn't order it! I explained I did and all flyers I received stated the same "free DVR" service for 12 months.

I got nowhere so I called a few days later to get a different rep, wow, was that a mistake! I asked for a supervisor and I got "Brian" who insulted me three times. Once he said "there was no reason" to give it to me, when I kept stressing the flyers said if I packaged all three that I would get the free DVR, he said "You don't like my answers because I am not agreeing with you" and the "Marketing Dept. has it set up this way." After a total of three phone calls to Spectrum, they got my 3-way bundle and I have no DVR; unless I want to pay the extra money to have it! Total disregard and "FALSE ADVERTISEMENT" to their customers! Sad really.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I placed my order to transfer my phone numbers on 9/13/17. Was told by phone, by text, and by email, they would be transferred on 9/27, 10/4, 10/19, 10/24, 10/27, 10/30, 11/6. They were finally transferred 11/13/17. Meanwhile, my clients and vendors received "number not in service" from 10/24 to 11/13. At each missed appointment, I incurred the cost of having my computer and phone techs on site. I ended up paying an additional month's rent and electricity. I also had to call each of my clients and give them a temporary number to reach me.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

In the last ten months I have received four increase in price from Spectrum. I can no longer afford the payment which is now equal to a car payment. This is ridiculous. Why don't they just get a gun and hold people up. I will no longer be held captive by these money mongers.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

We've been a Charter customer since 2011 and have had a plethora of service issues. Due to nonstop troubles (including affecting college grades due to service drops), we were offered a discounted rate to keep our business with Charter. When we relocated, we kept services because the company was continuing a discounted rate due to continued service issues. Every year, I discuss billing with phone agents and they continue to offer a fair discount; however, this year is different. I received a bill that noted an increase from $113.35 to $129.40, to which I could not fathom agreeing to considering our service issues have not ceased and still interrupt our online college work and now my homeschooled son's online schooling. On top of that, we have lost access to four channels: TruTV, Cartoon Network, TCM, & OWN. Apparently, we permanently lost those channels because of an incident: my 6 year old accidentally upgraded us to the Silver package.

As soon as I was notified, I called and requested to be back on the Select package and put a password on my television to prevent further unauthorized purchase. However, in doing so, I lost my "grandfather" status: new customers to the Select package no longer get TCM, OWN, TruTV, CN, MTV, BET, VH1, Spike, etc. -- but they pay more than I currently do at a barely discounted rate! Complete robbery. So because I lost my status, I just lose out on channels that I SHOULD get since I pay for them!! One phone agent said those channels were only available in Silver; Spectrum's Facebook said I should still have those channels; another phone agent said I should definitely still have those channels…complete inconsistency. I feel as if I were lied to and that I am being forced to pay MORE for LESS channels and internet service that drops out so frequently that we have to take tests/quizzes at the library instead of home.

I'm paying more for less channels (that we watched regularly) and services that pixelate, freeze, and audio drops; not to mention, the TV Guide never actually works appropriately. Charter may have tried to change their name to do damage control stemming from their notoriously unreliable service, but the lack of morals and customer-centric services are ever evident. The company's sheer GREED is blinding -- how they can charge customers extraordinary amounts for less and less is beyond me. I'm angry that I was lied to, run around, and now being charged more money for even less. Absolutely unacceptable.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I have to call in every other week if not every week to get my internet resolved. It barely works and when it does work it is half ass. When I call in all they can do is send out a technician. Which works for a couple days then I have to call in again because it has stopped working yet again. I know I'm saying again a lot but that's how many times I have called in. If it wasn't for them being the only network that services my area I swear that I would go with a different company. Spectrum is the worst company I have ever dealt with ever. If you have a choice do not get them. All you will be is disappointed and wasting money.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I have been with Spectrum for less than 2 months and I have had to call and spend upwards of an hour each call on average every week since. The first guy who installed everything left cables hanging out of the ceiling and none of the remotes worked, so there was the first call. Then we discovered On Demand did not work, second call. Guy came out, said he fixed it but as it turned out did not. Third call, another guy came out, said he fixed it but did not. Fourth call, another guy came out and by the time he got there it was too dark to work outside so rescheduled for another day.

Fifth call, I was supposed to be part of buyout and filled out all the paperwork promptly to get my check. Was told it would take approx. 2 weeks. 3 weeks later no check. Was told on the fifth call that they were looking into it. Sixth call, was told the check went to my service address not my billing address. I ONLY HAVE 1 FRICKIN ADDRESS, WHERE I LIVE, WHERE MY MAIL GOES AND WHERE MY SERVICE IS!!! Finally told them my next call is to the Better Business Bureau and that I will not pay another bill until I get my check. They told me I could accrue a late fee then, lol... Customer service at its absolute worst!!! They should not be in business at all!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

If I could give this company 0 stars, I would. I messed up initially, having put the wrong address to be serviced but I was assured by Spectrum reps that they would be able to fix it. Long story short, NOTHING has been fixed, a woman told me she would do something and it never got done so here I am a month later, trying to get things fixed that should have BEEN done and it has screwed me over big time financially. Worst customer service ever. Bunch of liars.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

Charter values new customers more than they do loyal, long term customers. They care more about gaining new customers and none about saving the loyal ones that have always paid on time. They go way up on existing customers while dangling the low price carrot to the newbies. It's sad when loyalty no longer means anything!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2017

After the merger with Bright House the service has gotten consistently worse and they cut out key features that mattered to me about Bright House like the echo box. Also the price has consistently gone up while the quality of service has gone down especially customer service. I had called in to see if there was any new deals yet and when I explained that I was calling because my bill was 160 and that's why I wanted to find out other options the agent told me that I should be paying more than what I'm currently paying. I asked the customer service rep why I should pay more for worse service and she had no reply. 0/10 wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.

Charter Communications expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1993, Charter became a Fortune 500 company in 2001 and serves more than 6 million customers nationwide. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri.

• Tiered bundle pricing: Consumers can add extra channels to their package, as desired, with three tiered options along with bundled Internet and telephone service. Plans range from 125 to more than 200 channels.

• Fiber available: Customers in select areas can use fiber connections for extra high-speed Internet.

• No contracts: Consumers are not required to sign a contract for the company's bundled services, and they can stop using the service at any time.

• Free HD: Customers receive access to more than 200 HD channels for free.

• Large volume of on-demand programming: Charter offers a high volume of on-demand content, with more than 10,000 titles.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, households on a budget and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs