1.41/5
Based on 560 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 24, 2018

2352 Charter Communications Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2018

In moving my service to a new address and making changes to my service (which was really complicated in and of itself and impossible to do online) the customer service/sales guy gave me a price of $174 for the Gold package. After hanging up, I wondered "Was this price a promotional one?" so I called back. Yada-yada... the person with whom I spoke this time informed me that the service (Gold, same thing) was be $145 per month, and that the price would in fact go up approximately $20 after a year. Good enough.

I ask where I might view the prices and packages, to which she replied that such a list was not available, as there were "so many variables." Not wanting to be on the phone any longer, after I pointed out how odd that was, I ask that she send me the price as we had discussed, along with the detail (I mean, I got one price before, and here is a different one!) Which she indicated would go out automatically as I was changing my service. However, I never got that email, so I called again! This customer service person, when I asked about an email, indicated that Spectrum did not (although the said could not) email customers directly, but was thinking of doing that soon. An internet service provider that can't e-mail!

After pointing out that they do and can email, as that is how I get my bill, and much back and forth trying to get her to acknowledge how strange it was not to provide something indicating what we can expect from each other (she never budged!) she put me on hold, and finally said that her "supervisor would email me (at the email address she had, to which I receive my bills)." I am still waiting. Again - Spectrum - internet service provider - can't/won't e-mail pricing (which is nowhere to be found).

Original review: May 22, 2018

They promote "no contracts" but it is in their favor! I was getting very little for $196 monthly - then in Feb 2018 it jumped to $214 - in April to $225 and when I received my May statement it is now $236.00!!! This just feels illegal - it is wrong!

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 20, 2018

There has been a number of outages in my area and when calling in to get information, I get mixed advice and information. One major event (World Series) was down while on their streaming service and when I called to get information, they said it was overloaded and had people on site working to fix the issue. It wasn't fixed until after the World Series. I called to complain about the bad service and they said they would reimburse my account for lost service time once they calculated everything.

Couple months later, service was down again for a long period of time and the customer service rep told me that there would be credit once everything was back up. Now, service is down again, just called customer service and his response, "We don't issue credit unless service is down for over 4 hours at a time." I asked about the other times service had problems, he said, "You have to call back after 3 days to get the credit issued" me, "How can I get credit for the past issues?" Spectrum, "You can't, you need to call back within 3 days, even though you have a case open."

This is ridiculous, their service is not cheap, they boast the best service of all the competitors. I paid to watch the fight, games, and channels provided by them and understand that no one is perfect and everyone has issues, but if I'm paying for something and not receiving the service in return, what am I actually paying for? I will be contacting other providers sharing my story with everyone I can.

Original review: May 16, 2018

No contracts - 45 years since 70's- they had contracts. Their technicians have no idea what they are doing because of lack of experience in the field. Shows badly. Customer services has no power to service you - always in the dark, what to do for you. Bottom line with contracts - Charter couldn't honor them. They had dropped them. Too many complaints against Charter.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Spectrum services such as TV and Internet are below regular standards. Customer service just goes through the usual connecting and disconnecting the modem, while within a day later the service is back to the same issues. The internet is slow (at best). Constant disconnection, disruptions, and high prices. It feels more like DSL, than cable internet.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charter Communications?

Original review: May 13, 2018

We wanted a Religious channel added & they said can’t do, because I wasn’t a new Customer? So they wanted more money after I have been with them for over 9 yrs! They were rude in handling me!

Original review: May 13, 2018

I own 2 homes. My home downstate is Verizon FiOS. Yes I thought it was expensive. I have 7 boxes and the Platinum package... the basic channels are great and I never have a problem with the internet. Spectrum? I have the 3rd tier basic package. I have 2 boxes and the channel lineup is horrible. I went from $139 to $169 for the bundle. I wouldn't mind paying more if they offered the same basics as Verizon but honestly it's garbage. I find myself watching news because that's the only thing decent on. I am not happy.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Most stations are repeated on 3 different channels so they say over 200 channels but it's more like 80 (They repeat twice on HBO, Cinemax and Showtime). Most channels also pixelate so they call it. Meaning the picture breaks up and the sound is also lost. They also charge about $7.00 per box and now you cannot hook directly to your TV (like we used to about 2 years ago) forcing you to have boxes on EVERY TV if you ever want to watch it again. We used to have it direct to TVs that we didn't watch much, like in bedrooms that just carried basic channels.

Charter is the ONLY cable company available in our area and neighbors that have satellite are not real happy with it so our options are limited. Internet in my opinion is high priced (of course I could pay even more if I wanted it to be faster!). I finally got a modem that is more reliable compared to the ones I've had over the course of 16 years. Phone service is however pretty good and reasonably priced. $19.99 per line with unlimited long distance. But, they sure make up for it with the cable and internet.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Charter service is good because they're all former Time Warner people. Cost wise, they are horrible. They lie, they find excuses for new charges. My bill has increased considerably. I can't use their correct name. I refer to them strictly as **!

Original review: May 12, 2018

When companies merge giving consumers little to no choice of who they purchase services from... This allows the company to increase rates significantly... Bring Time Warner Back. Thank you. My bill went up 35 bucks. No way. Fix it or I’m going to my Senator then Congress.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I have been a Charter customer for about two years after spending 16 years with DirecTV in my primary residence and Time-Warner in my vacation home. Both were better in every way and better priced than Charter.

Original review: May 12, 2018

My mother had/has DirecTV full package. And I had a roommate that had DirecTV, but he moved out, so I got Spectrum basic bundle of internet, telephone, and cable. No complaint with telephone, or use of internet but channels are doubled up and I can't record the maximum amount of recording choices without being forced to watch one of those recording at that time. Ridiculous.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Terrible company. Disorganized, long waits for service and service that is never constant, service wires going through trees, equipment that breaks down daily!

Original review: May 11, 2018

Have been a Charter customer for a very unfortunate three years. When recently moving homes they (without my knowledge) started me on a new bill plan. The payment I made two days prior only credited me 26$. I then was charged an additional 47$ for prorated service, even though I paid the prorated 40$ two days prior. I was also charged a transfer fee (which is frustrating but I was willing to pay). Now I’m owing double the prorate and another bill on top of that. Their math does not make logical sense. They consistently try to swindle you out of money and find any way possible to charge you extra. Horrible service. If you’re moving just cancel services and find another provider. These people are crooks.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Charter is way too expensive!!! Yes you get a lot of channels, but more than 60% we don't even watch nor do we like. I wish you could just pick the ones you use and pay per channel... much better... they aren't real great since Time Warner purchased them, we have had a lot of issues since it was complete! Not my favorite for sure.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I believe ALL tv transmission providers overcharge consumers. I have Charter and have the top tier programming option and many of the premium channels show the same programs.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I got a flyer in the mail about a deal Spectrum was offering for streaming TV, Spectrum TV Choice, to compete with FuboTV and DirecTV Now. Long story made short, I signed up for a 7-day free trial. The app was horrendous. Worst app I have ever tried to use. Their website is not much better. I tried to use it to sign up for this new service and all I got was redirects to their cable bundling deals. I signed up 5:30 PM and cancelled at 9:30. Cancelling was even harder than signing up. Not sure I am cancelled, yet, but will see when bill comes. Of course they say it a free trial, but they bill you and then when you forget to cancel, they have you for at least a month's worth of service... Terrible company. I am enjoying my Directv Now even more since I had this bad experience.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Charter is awful expensive. We dropped cable altogether but kept internet which is wildly expensive. Customer service is a time waster. First automated voice walks through reboot then a person comes on and makes you do it again.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Charter don't meet the standards advertised. Several times my picture was choppy and inconsistent. I have to have two DVR boxes at a higher expense because they are behind their competitors in technology. I am going back to DirecTV.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I had a new house built and was informed by the builder that ATT and Spectrum are the two companies that have service in the area. Scheduled for Spectrum to come out. Tech shows up and says I don't have a tap in my yard to have service, he calls construction dept and they start the process. I called a week later to check progress and was informed that I (the customer) would have to come out of pocket $38,000 to have a cable ran about 1100 feet to my home so I can have services from them. I was like WTF, why would pay this when the company is installing line in the area and especially if other neighbors have service. What a rip off.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Charter's customer service is very good. But they could offer more TV channel selection for the price I pay. I also have Charter's internet and phone service. The phone service doesn't always work properly. I have to use the area code for some local calls and it doesn't make sense. I have very little trouble with their internet service. I had to change out a lot of the wires and cables they used at installation. Their work was very sloppy. I obtained new wires and cables to clean up their installer's work at the Charter store. There was no charge for the new wires and cables. Overall I'm satisfied with Charter.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Charter (Spectrum) has always been awful and will continue. They are terrible. Loss of internet all the time, weak signals, lines down. It's expensive for what you receive. Would love to have Cox or another provider.

Original review: May 8, 2018

THIS PLACE IS AN ABSOLUTE JOKE! They don't care for their customers. We got treated like garbage, overcharged and randomly cut out our services. I would not ever recommend Charter Communications. They refused to "mention" a charge that was on our next bill and said they didn't need to mention it. They strictly stated that it wasn't necessary to inform their customers about extra charges.

Original review: May 8, 2018

Service speed and reliability is great. “When bundled” is not the price for internet. The unbundled price rises each year, so someday you will drop Charter.

Original review: May 8, 2018

We like it ok but a bit expensive. It's costing us 199.00 a month. That's too much for retired folks that are on soc. sec. only. We think they need to offer a senior discount or some kind of a break for people that don't use wifi but just watch tv only.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I asked Charter if they would put together a Senior Citizen pricing. I have been with Charter since 1984 and our bill has gone from $59 a month for TV, Internet and Phone to this months bill of $189.00... My Social Security is $800 a month. I know many Senior Citizens who get less that I do... I cancelled my Cable TV and went and got an antenna... Yes I miss my choices on Cable, but my billing is half now... And I have been searching for someone who is lesser for my Phone and Internet...

Original review: May 7, 2018

Overpriced and constantly going down if you don't have all of their services (phone, internet, tv). They overcharge you. In my subdivision you cannot get another company so Charter can charge you whatever they want.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Continued Interupted Service Daily - You can for sure count on one thing with this service. That is NO reliability at all in service. You could call daily and be refunded for the service every time it goes out. So you could basically have free internet. First installation they didn't ground the system so it was in and out. Then even after they reinstalled it still guys out daily.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I was told by a customer service representative that they did not add taxes for an instalment charge so I was billed a late fee from 1/2017 on 4/4/18. The representative was argumentative and his tone was condescending.

Original review: May 6, 2018

We had a lot of difficulty with this company, now called Spectrum, at first. We had to have our cable box replaced three times before getting one that worked. We also had to battle it out with a so called customer service department until our issues were finally resolved.

Charter Communications expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1993, Charter became a Fortune 500 company in 2001 and serves more than 6 million customers nationwide. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri.

• Tiered bundle pricing: Consumers can add extra channels to their package, as desired, with three tiered options along with bundled Internet and telephone service. Plans range from 125 to more than 200 channels.

• Fiber available: Customers in select areas can use fiber connections for extra high-speed Internet.

• No contracts: Consumers are not required to sign a contract for the company's bundled services, and they can stop using the service at any time.

• Free HD: Customers receive access to more than 200 HD channels for free.

• Large volume of on-demand programming: Charter offers a high volume of on-demand content, with more than 10,000 titles.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, households on a budget and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs