Charter Communications

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Our cable and internet services were currently taken over by Spectrum. I have noticed an increase in my bill which prompted a call to them by me. I have to say that the customer service support was horrific to say the least. I have called Bright House several times over the years with an occasional semi-bad experience. Nothing to write a review over! The customer service you get, is terrible. They do not care. They make NO effort to show any empathy on the call, and I say this after today being my 5th call to the company thinking maybe I got someone having a bad day.

I have discovered this is not the case and they truly do not care about my bill, my service or even keeping my business. I will out of mere principle cancel my service with them. I get that maybe the price is the price and there are not promotions etc. But can you deliver it in a professional manner? It is very sad to know that the customer service level provided by this company is this bad and I hope things change for them as they will indeed lose more than my business.

Spectrum is the worst company I have ever come in contact with and I am a very polite and patient person so I can promise you it is not that I am picky. They put me into a 200$ package when I requested a 80$ one and refused to fix my bill and are telling me I have to pay for it. Every time I call they hang up and are rude and refuse to help or fix my bill, I got so aggravated I contacted the better business bureau. If you are having this problem please make sure you contact them also that is the only way companies like this go out of business.

Spectrum recently bought my Brighthouse Account. Since that change my internet service has gotten slower and my TV now costs me $20 more and I have less channels. And when I have called them they are very unhelpful.

After having Time Warner for almost 10 years right up until the point they switched their backbone servers with Spectrum I didn't have any sort of ping issues. Now when I run a WinMTR I get a latency of almost 600 off the second hop. This is absolutely ridiculous, how do you expect people to use their internet for gaming. The intended use of having big bandwidth and they have lag spikes of almost 600 every 20 packets. Your internet is straight garbage, switching to Verizon or google fiber the moment I can. Also I'm going to be getting credited every single month until this issue is fixed. I can promise that.

I've been with Bright house for many years. They're not great but for some reason it's the only cable available in Livonia area for at least 15 yrs. Due to increases they have always found a way to keep payments about the same mostly by locking in service for 1 yr at a time. Now Spectrum has bought them out. I receive a notice that my service has been increased a lot. Calling them was a joke. I was on the phone an hour, half of that was with there "RETAINMENT DEPT". They claimed to be trying to help but every other sentence was, "You should be happy with the increase." They claim I'm locked in as a "long-term customer" otherwise I should be paying another $60.00 or more just to keep my current service. Of course the said one improvement I could use is the more than 500 or more NEW/SAME channels that are now each one an extra charge.

They have a monopoly on service so I guess my only choice is ATT or Dish network. If only I could buy my own equipment instead of RENTING IT from Spectrum I would at least lower the cost. I can't afford it and I think it's a shame to be treated so poorly. All their many ads stating what a great thing this change is, well not for me. I wish enough people cancel like myself so that they FAIL as a cable company and maybe. Another company or better yet the city of Livonia allows other cable company's to compete and give people a true choice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charter Communications?

First of all when I had Brighthouse my internet was super fast and I had all my channels without paying extra (no premium channels like hbo) and now that I got switch to Spectrum, my internet is slow and all the channels I had are behind a pay wall. I have to pay for basic channels like travel channel, mtv2, history channel, id channel and many more. This is not right because I was paying $160.00 for 100mbps and I had over 175 channels now my bill is the same with 60mbps (slow) and 125 channels. Even my kids programs like teennick, disneyxd, nick toon everything is behind a pay wall... I just order my mx8 android box from Amazon for 49.99 with all the channels even ppv and hbo. #donewithcable

In Dec. 2016, they told me I could get internet service for $10.94- $14.95 monthly. When I tried to get it they said that service did not exist. I told them I realize that our area is a monopoly. In other words we cannot get the cheaper low income service that other parts of Florida gets. I cannot get a live person on the phone since Bright House sold out to Spectrum. I called 5 different numbers over a 40 minute period trying to get a live person to make a payment arrangement for my bill which is over $100. A couple days before that the recording said I only needed to pay $17 to bring my bill up to not being behind. Two days later it said I needed to $72.

Their service is very slow. My internet is a lot slower than when it was Bright House. I could get a hold of a Bright House customer service and they always worked with me on my bill. They also said they charge a month in advance so your bill is always going to be behind. I am very low income. I need the internet to do surveys for extra money online. I wish this company would change their practices and value their customers more!!! We are not all rich in Florida!!!

So I've only had Charter where I live because it's the only one available... Until recently. Over the last year 2016 I've called and written down the dates 9 times (I've called), access to Charter on demand "service is temporarily unavailable, please check back later". I check and check, then I call. I've had them send signals, send a technician, and done everything they've asked. It keeps happening and they won't give me a solution other than to send another tech out. If I'm paying for a service that they are unable to fill, I'd like a reimbursement or at least "we acknowledge it's our fault". Nothing. I remain calm on the phone, make notes when I call, solutions provided, and ask them to make note of the current call in detail. Anyone have suggestions? DirecTV and Dish are both available in my area...

I am a Time Warner customer for 5 years and didn't had any issues on their services, rate and programming. In October, I got a call from Spectrum representative telling me that now TW is Spectrum and that my monthly rate will have to be increase, since all the "Time Warner promotion" expired. After a long conversation with a client representative we agreed on removing premium channels to mitigate the rate increase from $105.00 to $115.00. To my surprise, in November it was raised again to $142.00 without explanation. In December the Bill was $152.00 plus Tax. I call in on January 2nd 2017 and they use the same excuse as of September and offer to switching me to Spectrum Offer for $137.00 again with less channels. They mentioned they will send a Technician to my house the same day, but it took them 2 days.

When the Technician arrived, he look at all our equipment and told me that we are good, and immediately after he left, my internet was disconnected by Spectrum. I call in and the person that took the call was very rude. He said their offer didn't included WiFi and if I wanted internet WiFi Spectrum will have to charge me $5.00 extra per month. I suggested to bring the recorded conversation on when I got the offer, or if I could talk to someone else. He got really upset, and told me there is no one that he could transfer the call or could help on my rate or services. His only offer was to agree on the additional cost or not having wifi, then he hang up the phone.

I agree with most of the other reviewers. It look like Charter Communications are intentionally deceiving customers and taking advantage of clients not only by raising the rates, not being upfront on the services and plans, but by not willing to listen to their customer. This is by far the worst experience with a service provider ever. TW may not had the best service, but Spectrum make us wish that we have TW back.

Had Bright House since 1999 and minimal problems. Called today at 8:30am to review new charges and possibility of having less options and lower costs. After 2 visits to service center, correspondence by telephone from 8:30 am-2:15 pm. and multiple representatives, I was finally able to find someone with the knowledge to explain the new costs and why I am not able to lower my bill. It seems you have no choice but to bundle your services to get a reduced fee (which makes one think wonder unless there is a kickback from the telephone company who markets phone numbers for solicitation).

Why does one have to have a landline if it is not used? Seems if you use less services, you should not be penalized. Each rep I spoke to (5) gave me different prices for the same thing and the "supervisor" made me an appointment for the year 2001 after hearing me crying in frustration. I only hope this new company gets their act together soon. I have spent 6 hours of total frustration and would not recommend them to anyone. If I did not I live in an area that I must use CenturyLink (who is also poor quality for internet) I would switch to DirecTV. Had them for years and no complaints. Looks like this industry has put the screws to us by raising rates and poor customer service.

In the last 24 months my internet connection has doubled, $29.99 to $59.99. This may not seem like much to some but I am on a fixed income. I have been a good customer for 8 years, never a late payment, but they can offer me tv and internet at $39.99 each. My question is if you can offer it at $39.99 at a bundle price why not individually? There is no other option as I am in a rural area and there isn't any other game in town! So, bend over and get reamed or lose contact with the outside world. What a choice!

Customers are being raped by greedy corporate America!! Besides poor cable service, internet service is horrible. Since Dec. 2016, server speeds with constant buffering are getting worse after official charter/Spectrum takeover of Time Warner in New York!! Home equipment functionality had been tested & operating properly {ie: superior Motorola surfboard gateway sbg6580 modem/Router 3.0 docsis}. Did a speed test with pathetic results: DOWNLOAD 2.24 Mbps. UPLOAD 1.02 Mbps at http://www.speedtest.net.

Rude awakening when you discover your internet provider purposely slows service based on usage: read--/www.Goldenfrog.com/Blog/Increase-streaming-speeds-with-a-vpn {beware of throttling}!! Wait until 3.1 docsis speed arrives within 5 years... Consumers 3.0 modems become obsolete & forced to replace with 3.1 modems at $100-200.00 each. It's all about marketing & squeeze the consumer from 2017 on with Trump deregulating FCC & other consumer advocates. It started already with abolishing "ethics committee watchdog of unscrupulous practice by companies". Good luck!!

Customer service is the WORST ever!! Service was disconnected because on initial payment over phone with a service rep, bank info was input wrong. After 2 hours and 45 minutes... YES, that is correct my service was finally restored!! Each time you call you wait at least 15 minutes for the next uncaring, could give a flip, person who comes on the line. Each person gives the impression they will be the one to help when all they did was transfer to another department WITHOUT even the courtesy to let you know that's what they were doing!! Then another 15 minutes to get another person. I was so frustrated I actually cried when I FINALLY got Stephan in Texas with Payment Services who took the time to go the extra mile and get my service restored!! What a saint he was! He did care, and actually made up for all the other incompetent people I spoke with. God Bless you Stephan.

I was paying a monthly fee of $6 for modem rental. I went out & bought my own modem to save myself a few bucks each month. I turned in my rented modem to Charter and my bill went UP by the same amount I was paying for the modem rental. That just doesn't seem right.

I called from St. Louis Mo today. I was wanted to address my issue with paying a much higher bill than usual. I was paying $95.00 dollars and JOSH let me know I had been paying $130.00 since October 2016. When addressed JOSH said, "Well our services are better than anyone else and that's why you paying more." So... since I was paying from my bank account I had not paid too much mind to the additional monies coming out of my account til the holiday season. I then noticed the difference in my bill. I called to address these issues and only got attitude. I was wanted to rectify to the account until JOSH gave me a rude and unprofessional attitude. I then told him (JOSH) to shut it down! I am at least a year paying customer. I just wanted someone to address the issue and fix it. It did not have to be the same price but at least try to be welcoming. This was not the case. I've moved on from Charter.

My landline number is listed to someone else in white pages and I get collection calls every day for that person so I called to cancel my phone service. Was on hold 30 minutes before speaking to a rep. As a legacy Bright House member, I was given a price that would only reduce my bill by $3 a month and that also included a reduction in my internet speed. After further conversation with the rep, I just gave into that quote. She put me on hold and then came back and said "she spoke to her supervisor and could actually give a $20 reduction." I did not want to go with that because there needed to be a technician scheduled and I did not have time for to be home for that. So I asked just to go with the $3 reduction. It was then that I was informed that was not possible due to Spectrum changes.

After waiting an hour to speak to a supervisor, I got the same story but in addition, she said I could just cancel my landline. The cost, however, would increase my monthly bill by $41 and that made the call go downhill from there. For curiously purposes though, I called back and asked the price if I remove both landline and cable and that I was told that will reduce my bill by $100 a month. So now I'm looking into Netflix and an antenna to cancel the cable and the phone. Buys me time to schedule a technician for another internet provider.

Spectrum bought out Time Warner in NYC a month or so ago and without notification or permission downloaded an algorithm that requires an inordinate amount of time to peruse movie information on HBO, Cinemax, Showtime etc. The Picture in picture feature which is the only reason I and my friends subscribe to this service has reduced the user ability to view the same channels and forces the user to punch the previous channel when going back to view same channel making the feature more or less useless. The time delay when reviewing the information guide to each channel is exhausting and I am now looking for others who wish to join us in a class action lawsuit for a service that is not what we initially had subscribed to. I am not an attorney however, I play golf with a number of those who are and they have agreed to take this case. If you wish to join me in litigation please contact me at **.

If you talk to one of their salespeople, make sure the pricing they give you will actually be honored by Charter. In order to get free installation we had to bundle TV, internet and phone and the price was going to be $29.99/mo each. Since we just wanted internet, our salesman assured us that it would not be a problem to call and cancel the TV and phone portion and still get the promo rate of $29.99/mo for just the internet. Went out and spent over $400 on a new modem and router and spent the weekend running network cable through the house to the new location.

Called Charter this morning to cancel TV and phone and they told me that I would have to pay full price for internet now that I wasn't bundled. Argued with them for 10 minutes about why are their salespeople selling things they can't offer and nothing. Kept getting the blanket response of "we don't have that price option for just internet." Asked to speak with a manager and was told there is no one else who would be able to help us. So I told them to cancel all of it and come pick up their hardware. We'll be sticking with our mediocre internet from AT&T U-Verse. Hopefully I can still return the modem and router. Can't believe I actually fell for thinking that Charter had actually changed as a company...

Charter sucks and takes advantage of loyal customers. They charged me for 2 months where I did not live in the apartment and did not use the internet. Despite me having attempted to cancel the Bill. I guess they can charge you even if you move out. They only refunded me a month as a courtesy because I called on the 1st after they put my bank account into the negative. They said they have to as a courtesy, not like it was out of the kindness of their hearts. I need reimbursement for the other month to be able to pay my bank back the overdraft fees and to get gas money, I can't even because my bank is now in the negative due to charter's complete lack of good customer services.

They claim they can reimburse me the one month because I called in time, but they should be able to reimburse other month when I DID NOT EVEN LIVE THERE. They charged me for December and January both. when I have been moved out since November 28 2016. They take advantage of loyal customers. I was with them for over a year, and I will never go back because they have horrible service connection and horrible customers service. Least they could do for a loyal customer is return the money they owe. Thanks for nothing and you lost me as a customer permanently.

I told the customer service I was going to continue with both charter cable and internet in my new apartment in a month too. That's loyalty right there and they still would not reimburse me. Charter sucks. End of story. They will try to take you for your money's worth. Never going back and my huge family in Worcester will also never be going with them as well. Absolute horror that they can take advantage of someone like this!!

I had Time Warner for years before they become this so called wonderful company Spectrum. I had dropped as a Time and went to ATT then when my two yrs were up their prices practically doubled which was not worth the price considering majority of channels are repeats and this gets regardless of who carrier is. Anyway, when I tried service as Spectrum service is no better. The same old receivers going out, channels going out, bill being incorrect by charging me not what was quoted, etc, etc. What I did whenever this happened, deduct from my bill. I tried to get cheaper package and was told 'NO' cause their deals were only for new customers.

No matter the name they go by, their rudeness and poor service and poor customer service had not changed in the last 10 and more years. They are terrible and now they cannot come up with NBC deal so customers will either suffer with none on those channels (14 and more) and still be charged the same price. I dropped all tv and only have their internet which is not worth the price. They want you to pay for their high speed which they lied about the price and had to call back for them to change to what I was told. I have gone ahead and gotten Hulu and Amazon Fire Stick for my non-smart tv's. I pay a lot less and watch on four devices for $9.99. These cable companies get away with lying to customers.

For over a year my internet service has been very poor and I have called to get it fixed. Every year they come out to fix "something" in the street due to flooding or defective parts. I even tried their Spectrum TV app assuming they would up my service to see it, but no luck and it would not work for more than 15 minutes. I called to have it fixed and was promised a credit. After 2 more months, I saw no credit, so I cancelled it. My internet continued with issues and I also received an email that my internet was breached. They told me to start with replacing my modem, which I switched out with Charter. No mention of fees were given to me. This did not solve the issue and I worked with online to resolve. They showed that I was getting barely any service from the line when I was hard wired.

I then called for service with no mention of a fee. The service came out and saw the same results. They changed out a filter in the street. We tried their router and I decided to keep it with the understanding that it would cost about $5/month. I now have a bill for $63.45 for $45 trouble call fee, $9.99 internet activation fee (which I already had activated) and the $5 router fee with $.96 for prorated fee. Why am I paying for fees I was not aware of? The customer service said they could do nothing. I do not feel I should be paying for fees that I was not made aware of.

Just went through the lamest, ineffective customer support ever. I thought that BH customer support was ineffective - Spectrum ups the ante in lameness. I guess we now are subjected to the obligatory Indian support. I had to repeat my telephone number 5 times although the robo voice had confirmed my telephone number prior to connecting me with alleged customer support. I got nowhere and was told to try to reset my modem password in 30 minutes. I'm already starting to look for a new vendor.:(

I have had Time Warner Cable for 5 years and have been overly satisfied with the service I have gotten with my Bundle package of phone, cable TV, and internet. In the 5 years I have had TWC I have never thought once about leaving until I was introduced to Spectrum Cable. Since Spectrum took over my internet goes out for no reason from time to time which I've called about at least 4 times. I changed packages recently to try and get a better deal. I was told by the sales person I would have to change to a Spectrum package. Worst mistake ever. They came out to change a DVR box and when they left, the brand new remote control did not change the channels. Upon speaking to technical support, another service call had to be made.

I guess when the changeover took place the cable box in my bedroom was taken out of service so I now have no TV in my bedroom. The technical support team could not remotely activate this box so now a technician must bring me a box and another remote. I am an ex TWC employee and a proud recipient of the only homegrown cable provider from NYC but tomorrow will be calling Verizon and inquiring about their services. I had to give one star for the review but they really deserve none. I guess if they lose enough people paying $260 a month the sub par service will change.

Totally dissatisfied with Spectrum. Very poor problem solving. The response to interruption is "We will send a technician in two days. That's the earliest we can do..." after wasting 43 minutes troubleshooting over the phone. I am a long time customer changing to Fios... if this is the best response to paying customers it is very poor.

Tried Spectrum bundle deal $29.99 they're offering and very unhappy with cable service. Took them 3 days to get it going, kept on freezing and Internet speed advertised at 100 Mbps will get up to only 30! Promised channels were not working, kids channels, few other adult ones. Obviously agent just wanted to sign me up and get credit. Not sure how their system works. Tried to disconnect, got transferred to retention dept, after trying to sell me on more useless channels and bumping my price up, kept me on the phone for 45 min.

When I was firm that I didn't like their service and lies the retention agent got rude and aggressive and called me "Mr. Mohammad or whatever" which clearly is not my last name and he was being clearly prejudice against Muslims. Always thought retention departments were supposed be professional and helpful but not at Spectrum!!! Time Warner had a bad reputation with customer service and clearly they're still the same people!! Please stay away and find a better solution to your needs!!!

I currently have the Spectrum high speed internet, cable and phone package. All week, all three go down between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m. My first tech assistant said the only solution was to send a technician. However, the next appointment time was two days later. Then the internet access came back on the next morning at 7 a.m.. I cancelled the appointment. Then, the same outage happened again at 10 a.m. I called tech assistance again and they found no outages in the area. They scheduled a technician for two days later again. This company needs more technicians! This is a line issue and they need to send a lineman. The equipment and connections are fine and were newly installed in July, 2016. I'm waiting to see if the cable and internet goes down again at 10 a.m. I'm keeping my second appointment for Thursday at 1:00.

Live in Orlando, FL area. Had Bright House and had zero complaints. TV and internet always worked and the internet was constantly fast and was what was as advertised. Now it is the luck of the dice coming home from work and seeing if everything is working. Internet cuts on and off randomly frequently. When it does work it is much slower than it use to be (3 or 4 times slower than Bright House). This started RIGHT AFTER Charter bought Bright House. Take my money and leave my service alone you dweebs.

Charter is the worst cable company out there in my opinion. My cable TV constantly doesn't work good. Most of my premium stations won't work when I want to watch a movie. The On Demand feature is down so much I don't bother with it. It seems almost monthly there is a outage in my area. The phone goes down constantly also. They never pro-rate your bill when these types of issues arise and you can bet they want their money on time every month. I don't understand why there is still a monopoly on cable companies. Depending on where you live you don't have a choice, you can only purchase what's in that area which allows cable companies like Charter to give you bad service with no repercussions. Can't wait for internet TV to get better and run all these cable companies out of business.

I have a Charter business account and a Charter personal account. My personal account which I have had for years is on AutoPay and my business account is paid manually month by month as it is for a commercial property for lease and I am planning to cancel the service as soon as I get a tenant in the building. I called in October to place a payment on my business account and the agent accidentally applied the payment to my personal account however I didn't know this until November when I got a past due notice in the mail and a phone call from a collector. Confused, I called Charter and they simply said I didn't make a payment and I was responsible for the past due amount plus the late fee. Luckily I wrote down the confirmation number and that is when they discovered the payment was posted to the wrong account. They took the payment from the personal account and applied it to the business and everything was supposed to be well.

In December I got a new past due notice for my personal account now, which is on AutoPay, so I called Charter and explained the whole thing to a new person and they told me that the payment the first representative accidentally applied happened before the AutoPay date so when they took it the AutoPay didn't post so the account went past due. So again they credited the late fee and said the bill would be fixed my the next auto pay date of December 25th but during this time as well as the last I have received several PAST DUE bills in the mail and weekly calls from the collectors demanding payment.

I called Charter again and they said unfortunately there is no way to stop the letters or the calls but they would stop once the payment posted almost a month later. I live in a small town so my mail carrier probably thinks I'm a deadbeat who doesn't pay his bills and I have to contend with weekly collection calls and Charter seems to think crediting me back the late fee was doing me a favor. They have offered no compensation for my lost time or for having to deal with the harassing letters and phone calls for their representatives mistake.

We switched 4 of our Jimmy John's locations' internet and phone service over to Charter Spectrum recently. Do not use this company. Their service is unreliable and horrible customer service. We have had them give us every excuse as to why the internet and phones go out. One reason was the cold. We are in Wisconsin. If Charter doesn't work in the cold probably shouldn't do business in a state where it is cold 1/4 of the year! In the last 10 days we have had one of more locations' internet and phones go out 8 of the 10 days. Their resolve was to credit the days' service after going round and round with them. It worked out to $6. Anyone with a business can figure out you lose more than 6 when you don't have internet and phone to process credit cards. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE HORRIBLE.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1993, Charter became a Fortune 500 company in 2001 and serves more than 6 million customers nationwide. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri.

• Tiered bundle pricing: Consumers can add extra channels to their package, as desired, with three tiered options along with bundled Internet and telephone service. Plans range from 125 to more than 200 channels.
  • Fiber available: Customers in select areas can use fiber connections for extra high-speed Internet.
  • No contracts: Consumers are not required to sign a contract for the company's bundled services, and they can stop using the service at any time.
  • Free HD: Customers receive access to more than 200 HD channels for free.
  • Large volume of on-demand programming: Charter offers a high volume of on-demand content, with more than 10,000 titles.
  • Best for Television fans who watch a range of programs, households on a budget and customers with special interests.

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers