Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.98/5
Based on 1,215 ratings submitted in the last year

2452 Charter Communications Consumer Reviews

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Good program lineup. Fast internet. Almost zero downtime. Too expensive, but same as competitive offerings. Rarely have problems and only with scheduling repairs. Customer for more than 15 years. Was the worst, but now the best.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Charter (aka Spectrum) has always been reliable and responsive. If a service call is needed they almost schedule it TOO FAST! They will instantly replace an equipment suspected of not working up to par and their support is always there to help. Their online billing system is very user friendly and they do not "hard sell" when approaching them with a problem. They have come a long way and I cannot rate them anything other than *outstanding*.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I just got off the phone with a representative from Spectrum (Charter Communications) due to service issues with my modem. I asked for a supervisor, as this has not been my first issue, and was immediately transferred to the Supervisor Support Team. Please keep in mind that asking for a call center supervisor doesn't necessarily mean you will speak with the type of "Supervisor" you have in mind. Escalations in call centers are handled the same way as normal calls, but rather than speaking to a "floor representative" you will speak to a member of the "Supervisor Support Team". Christopher, the representative I spoke with, was straight to the point, humble, and honest, advising me that the credit the "billing" department would give me is totally separate from any credit I could be due from lost service. He advised that a technical service representative could take a closer look and issue credit for any "lost service" I had experienced.

I explained that I had no interest in speaking with the technical support department, (I cannot stand to talk to tech support), and I would be happy to accept any billing credits offered, and consider the issue resolved. Christopher applied a reasonable credit to my account for the issues I've been having with no additional hassle. I will be replacing my modem at my local store as soon as I get a chance. This was an exceptional experience with Spectrum (Charter) Customer Service, and I endorse this company as having reasonable customer service, in an expeditious manner. If you are considering this service, please, call and talk to someone within the business before blindly taking the reviews to heart. I had an exceptional experience. Thank you to anyone that took time to read this in its entirety and thank you Spectrum for resolving my issue. 5s across the board!

Original review: June 9, 2019

Started ordering service for new building over a year ago. Figured out a few weeks ago that Spectrum had it wrong. Now it needs a site survey, new construction, and a 60 day pole permit from the power company. Spectrum is happy to have me wait while they slowly fix their issue. No urgency, no creative solutions, just not their problem. Horrible experience for this paying customer.

Original review: May 29, 2019

I canceled this service in February. Terrible process, incorrect information provided. They continued to debit my account after cancellation. They still to this day owe me a $351.00 refund for their error. I just got off the phone with yet another representative who was less than helpful. Again I've been told it was processed "yesterday" and in the form of a card instead of an actual check. It's on me to contact the "wire" card company if I want to trade the card in for a check. Not my error yet I have to work tremendously hard to get my money back. Very dissatisfied and happy to have moved to TDS!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charter Communications?

Original review: May 18, 2019

Oh my God, please, PLEASE do not give Charter Spectrum more money. Where I live, there is no other internet service available, so I'm basically stuck with this dumpster fire of a service. That's basically the gist of what I think of Charter, but for those who want to read more into what is absolutely disgusting about it, here it is: Every. Single. Day, there are 2-3 minute just straight up internet outages around 4 times a day! I wholeheartedly can NOT believe that we are paying for this kind of trash.

Sure, for normal people, this is a minor inconvenience that simply makes them wait a couple of minutes for their YouTube video to load. But on the weekends, I just want to wind down and play some video games to relax from school. I play League of Legends, a competitive game between two teams of REAL players that heavily relies on communication, teamwork, and mechanics. The games last anywhere between 15-40 minutes, but usually around 30. Sometimes I have to disconnect and then reconnect, and by then we've already lost and 30 minutes of my time is wasted!

However, what sparked me to write scathing reviews of Charter Spectrum is what has been happening recently. Now there are 30 second - 2 minute lag spikes EVERY 10 MINUTES!! 10 MINUTES!!! That's HUGE! That means I have to sit through a lag spike, CONVENIENTLY PLACED IN THE MOST IMPORTANT TIMES, and then die because I can't do anything. Now even more of my time is wasted, because it's happening every single game! Please please please do not feed this trash "service" more money because they don't deserve it. If this comment can persuade at least one person to reconsider using Charter, my job is done.

Original review: May 15, 2019

When we got back from Florida we went to Charter to open up an account for internet only. So we received our modem and went home to set it up but it wasn't getting any signal. We called them and they said there was no signal coming through the cable. They set up a time for someone to come out and see what was the problem. When he got here he said that the splitter outside wasn't working so we were not receiving a signal. He replaced the splitter and we got signal. When we talked to a representative she told us that the 49.99 would be waived because the problem was outside. Not inside. But then our bill still said we were changed 49.99.

I called and talked with another representative, which he was no help and then talked to a supervisor and she said there was no record of a waive so she would not honor it. She said it has always been their policy for a hookup charge regardless if it was outside or inside. I told her that if the outside was working properly we would not have to have someone come out. She would not help at all!!!! We have been a customer for years and I feel we have been treated very poorly. We were told it was waived and now they lie. Very poor business treatment for loyal customers, who pay on time.

Original review: May 3, 2019

On Jan 24, 2019, after years of reliable service, my Outlook mail client could no longer connect to the Charter mail service. After calling Charter, they informed me that they had moved from POP to iMap for better security. I reconfigured my Outlook client and resumed operation. On April 29, 2019, the Outlook client once again failed to connect to the Charter email service. This time Charter had made a port change. Unfortunately, I was unable to ever get my Outlook to successful log into the iMAP server after their last change. I have tried Thunderbird and Claws on different computers with the same result. I can push SMTP but not log into iMAP for incoming. Charter's solution was to call Microsoft.

Original review: April 29, 2019

CHARTER is unbelievable and a HUGE disappointment! We moved into a new house in Wildwood (63038) and our neighbors across the street have Charter. We have been waiting for 1 full month for someone to come do a drop bury (bury the wires) and no one seems to be able to help us. How long does it take for Charter to simply run a cable across the street to our house? It has been a full month since we had the first Spectrum technician come to our house to try to connect us to find out wires needed to be buried.

1 month ago they came out and planted about 50 flags (5 different colors) all across our yard and neighbor’s yard along with spray painting our grass and we haven’t heard a peep since. We have contacted Charter every few days since this started, just to get a run around, misinformation or no information at all. We have been told countless times that “they will be there today” and no one comes.

My husband and I are very behind on our work due to not having internet AND we are unable to mow our lawn. Our neighbors are not happy with the flags in their yard and no one at Charter will help us! I know the drop bury can't be done in the rain or cold, but we’ve had numerous beautiful days. Can someone PLEASE HELP US!!!! What do we have to do to get internet?

Original review: April 2, 2019

I wanna 1st say that when it's working, and that's 90% of the time, its the best. But as a 30+ year customer I can attest to the fact that Charter is more concerned about their new customers than the current ones. A new customer even pays less. They explain this by saying "that's an introductory fee" but I wonder how many customers just turn it off and start over at a new introductory price, while I pay my bill EVERY month, on time and receive MORE CHARGES. Every month, it's another 5 or 10$ increase for this service or that fee or some bullcrap.

Then when you DO have trouble you find out that it's not just Charter you're dealing with. This company, forgive me for lack of a better comparison, is set up like a terrorist organization. They have customer service cells, management cells, installation cells, repair cells and even an investigative cell! And none of the cells actually communicate or know what the other one is doing while still others are contract employees. The installation and repairs, for example. I had a moron named Chris come to my home. Chris wrapped coaxial cable up in my garage door opener tracks and I didn't realize a thing till I went to shut my garage door. So I asked for a new guy, "Please don't send that moron back to my home right?" And what do they do? Sent Chris... And when I told him to leave my property he said "That's okay, I'll be sure you get charged DOUBLE."

So I commented to the agent I later spoke to "Chris don't know how lucky he is because where I come from, a man can get a split lip for a comment like that" and the next thing I know I have a guy named Jeremy calling saying he's an investigator for Charter and I can't threaten people like that! Seriously? Now let's discuss how Charter, Comcast and Xfinity actually carve up service areas so they don't overlap services. Isn't that a monopoly? And unconstitutional? Seriously, if there's anyone out there who can choose, I'd like to hear from ya but these companies do this on purpose so they can charge astronomical prices and there's no competition. For these reasons above, I call them the cable Nazis. Lol.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Hello, I just want you to be aware of the horrible customer service I received from Charter Spectrum. I called to cancel my TV Streaming in mid-Feb and upgrade my internet to the fastest available. I called today because they charged my credit card for the internet AND TV charges after I had asked for it to be removed. They did not fix the TV charges before today because there were no notes regarding it in the account. How do I make sure the customer service rep documents this in the future? It is their job.

Today, customer service explains to me that it is my fault and I should have looked at the bill. Well I did, today. Apparently, I needed to look at it when it was originally printed. I decided to be "green" and not have it sent as a paper copy. This is an issue because my company pays for my internet but not TV. The day I made the switch I changed the auto bill from my personal card to my work card. Now there is a $200 incorrect bill posted to my expense account that my company will not cover because the TV is on there. I simply wanted them to rebill correctly so the charges would be correct in my expense account.

Original review: March 28, 2019

This company is almost impossible to reach and the commercials they run are just so unreal. They are running a commercial which leads one to believe that if you subscribe to their internet service they will help you adopt a Asian child which when questioned they admit they cannot help you adopt a Asian child.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have been a with Bright House for 20 years. Then Charter bought them out. My rates were raised and when I called to get better pricing they lowered them by $10.00. I switched to another cable company. Now I am getting letters asking me to come back to Charter listing prices MUCH LOWER than I was paying. I find it interesting that they are willing to provide lower rates once a customer leaves. Just found out they had bankruptcy in 2009. That explains a lot.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I have had Spectrum for years. All of a sudden my internet goes up $30, TV goes up $30, and they took several movie channels away. When I called, I was told that the pricing I had in place was being discontinued. I was never advised that there was an expiration date when I started services. In adjusting my programming, my bill is now what I was paying 6 months ago...for a lot less. I was told that I saved quite a bit of money, which isn't the case. I now have less than half the channels I had previously for the same cost. I was actually spoken to as though I should have been grateful for their service. I will be shopping for a new provider.

Original review: March 6, 2019

I thought it would be a good idea to switch our TV service to Charter, and bundle to save money. Boy, was I wrong. Somehow, our three lines turned into one working line. Then they didn't tell me that I could not change each individual TV with the remote (it had to be on the box). Now, I don't know which restaurants have enough space for the TV boxes that would be within reach, but we definitely don't. My management would have to climb in the attic to change channels if needed. So first third party is being paid to fix this for us. Then, when I called about the three phone lines, they took my phone lines down saying it would be only 5 minutes. It was practically all day. They would not help. They would not expedite services. They would not do anything to get us up and running, other than tell me 'someone will call within an hour'.

Then, our internet goes down! Now we can't take reservations, to go orders, run credit cards, or play music. Well, we are open and trying to not lose customers, so this wasn't a good for us at all. After the hour plus passed and no calls about the service needed, I called back to see where the service call was. THEY HAD CALLED THE NUMBER THAT DOESN'T WORK? So wait three more hours before I can actually talk to someone. By that time, my local tech guy (see, another third party I am now having to pay) was able to make it out and cleaned up everything Charter had messed up. Good for nothing, if you ask me.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Charter has been awful for the 5 years that we have been forced to use them (due to our area). Consistently raising rates and the service is spotty. We go outside of our house no more than 5 feet and have no internet service. Always raising our rates by $20 every year and no desire to help. $66 per month for internet alone is sad. Then they want to offer us to add to our package to reduce that rate... $110 later we still have ** service and a “reduced rate?” No thanks. Raise rates every year due to “promotional rates?” ** service you could choose. Do not go with Charter if you don’t have to.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

It's now taking premium channels I have had for years and now wants me to pay for them again. Sorry not again. Going to Amazon. They had a dispute with the tribune and passing prices to customers. Goodbye.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

The worst wifi/internet I’ve ever experienced in my life. We pay so much for the internet to work so little. Terrible connection to mobile devices, and a very hard time connecting to laptops. This is the only company I can use for wifi in my area. I can’t wait to never use Spectrum again.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

So I have just wrapped up my one year service with Charter Spectrum here in Durham, NC and as it ended my initial internet rate of $44.99 has jumped to $ 70.99. When I initially was looking for internet service, as I had just purchased a new home, I was very specific in dealing with them and needed my internet to be around $50.00/ month and they told me, when my initial service was up, just call back and we will work with you to keep your pricing where you need it. Well that didn't happen and as a matter of fact in dealing with them in chat and on the phone, their stance was, "Well your initial discount is over and it is what it is now and we don't have anything else we can do, so if you need to leave us, we understand."

I feel duped, but more so feel like there is no customer service here at all. You get someone who not only pays their bill, but is happy with service and instead of creating loyalty, you're ok with throwing them away with no effort. As soon as another provider is available in my area, I will be moving on and will make sure I let everyone I know, what "great customer" service you will receive.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

This review is for Charter Spectrum services and HIDDEN fees. We tried their streaming tv trial which was supposed to have no contracts or hidden fees and be only $20 a month after the trial. Well not only does their streaming tv stink and has poor features, it added $35.65 to my bill! When I went to cancel their service I find out that they then added $11 to my internet bill for going back to just internet! REALLY! They do not let you know that when you try their crap service they will jack your previous services. So DO NOT try their streaming tv, it totally sucks and they spank you if you don't keep it. They are a bunch of thieves. If you have the option of another service provider choose someone else.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I switched to a stream only package and they continued to bill me for the full cable package. I called multiple times and was told it was their error and put on hold with no one getting back to me for over 40 minutes. Their system recognized I had called when I called back but even though the gal told me she was working on their error and straightening it out, there was no follow through. The amount of time I have wasted trying to sort through a bill error on their part is horrible.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

If I could give 0 starts I would. Charter is the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with. They have increased my bill several times and always say, "Oh after so many months it goes up this amount." So the longer you stay with the company the more you pay. That is absolutely absurd. I am currently on the line with AT&T setting up new services and will be canceling service with Charter. I will go without services before I ever give Charter another penny of my money.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I got the 100 speed internet from Charter Communications but I have never got to 100. I never get any faster internet than 30. When I bring it up to them they say I need to upgrade the equipment but the equipment is from them. They are not willing to help me. I can not wait to leave and get a different internet company.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I called in to ask about upgrading to the Gigabit internet. Was told the $199 upgrade fee would apply because the tech would need to spend several hours at my home upgrading the service lines. When he came out, he literally made a ten minute call, upgraded the service over the phone and never replaced any wiring. I was also told on the phone by the sales rep that they would provide me with a new upgraded modem and router, which they didn’t, because I already had the Gigabit equipment. So basically I was charged a $199 “upgrade fee” for no reason. I have four pages of this situation documented. I filed an FCC complaint. I will now contact my investigative news station to see if they will do a story on these liars!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

No service at our FL home since they are incapable of sharing lines with Xfinity. Therefore I am forced to use their horrible email system. Do not buy or rent in FL until you learn who is to provide your service.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

They promise you the world but give you completely mediocre service. The Internet speed is awful, the WiFi phone service is horrible, the availability of tv offerings is horrendous. I would not recommend this to my worst enemy.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Bill too high for what I get. They have taken channels away that I liked and replaced with really crappy channels. Thinking about going to streaming. Internet says I'm getting 100 MBPS but tests only show about 20. Customer service like talking to someone in Pakistan.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

If I could find a cable provider like I had before Charter bought Bright House I'd jump at the chance to switch. They had excellent customer service-same day service. The price was fair & the product was reliable. Charter jacks up the price $12/year for no reason. The reception is sketchy at best. Repair service is next day or 2 days later, if lucky. Customer service is civil at best, rarely nice. Half the time I can't gain online access to my account. Last month I couldn't gain access to my online account for an entire month & had to pay bill on the phone instead of online, because they couldn't get problem fixed in time.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

It is astronomical prices and very expensive. Most channels are the ones that most people are not interested in. Prices are over the roof for mostly news channels. If I could I would rather extend a Ariel on roof and get the free channels. The people are difficult to get in touch with. Service goes in and out.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Spectrum takes advantage of their monopoly like no other. They keep raising rates while providing no justification for it. They charge me a sports channel tax even though I despise sports channels and would never subscribe to one. I am looking hard to get out of the Spectrum sewer!

Charter Communications expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1993, Charter became a Fortune 500 company in 2001 and serves more than 6 million customers nationwide. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri.

• Tiered bundle pricing: Consumers can add extra channels to their package, as desired, with three tiered options along with bundled Internet and telephone service. Plans range from 125 to more than 200 channels.

• Fiber available: Customers in select areas can use fiber connections for extra high-speed Internet.

• No contracts: Consumers are not required to sign a contract for the company's bundled services, and they can stop using the service at any time.

• Free HD: Customers receive access to more than 200 HD channels for free.

• Large volume of on-demand programming: Charter offers a high volume of on-demand content, with more than 10,000 titles.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, households on a budget and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs