2.82/5

2447 Charter Communications Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 2, 2019

I wanna 1st say that when it's working, and that's 90% of the time, its the best. But as a 30+ year customer I can attest to the fact that Charter is more concerned about their new customers than the current ones. A new customer even pays less. They explain this by saying "that's an introductory fee" but I wonder how many customers just turn it off and start over at a new introductory price, while I pay my bill EVERY month, on time and receive MORE CHARGES. Every month, it's another 5 or 10$ increase for this service or that fee or some bullcrap.

Then when you DO have trouble you find out that it's not just Charter you're dealing with. This company, forgive me for lack of a better comparison, is set up like a terrorist organization. They have customer service cells, management cells, installation cells, repair cells and even an investigative cell! And none of the cells actually communicate or know what the other one is doing while still others are contract employees. The installation and repairs, for example. I had a moron named Chris come to my home. Chris wrapped coaxial cable up in my garage door opener tracks and I didn't realize a thing till I went to shut my garage door. So I asked for a new guy, "Please don't send that moron back to my home right?" And what do they do? Sent Chris... And when I told him to leave my property he said "That's okay, I'll be sure you get charged DOUBLE."

So I commented to the agent I later spoke to "Chris don't know how lucky he is because where I come from, a man can get a split lip for a comment like that" and the next thing I know I have a guy named Jeremy calling saying he's an investigator for Charter and I can't threaten people like that! Seriously? Now let's discuss how Charter, Comcast and Xfinity actually carve up service areas so they don't overlap services. Isn't that a monopoly? And unconstitutional? Seriously, if there's anyone out there who can choose, I'd like to hear from ya but these companies do this on purpose so they can charge astronomical prices and there's no competition. For these reasons above, I call them the cable Nazis. Lol.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Hello, I just want you to be aware of the horrible customer service I received from Charter Spectrum. I called to cancel my TV Streaming in mid-Feb and upgrade my internet to the fastest available. I called today because they charged my credit card for the internet AND TV charges after I had asked for it to be removed. They did not fix the TV charges before today because there were no notes regarding it in the account. How do I make sure the customer service rep documents this in the future? It is their job.

Today, customer service explains to me that it is my fault and I should have looked at the bill. Well I did, today. Apparently, I needed to look at it when it was originally printed. I decided to be "green" and not have it sent as a paper copy. This is an issue because my company pays for my internet but not TV. The day I made the switch I changed the auto bill from my personal card to my work card. Now there is a $200 incorrect bill posted to my expense account that my company will not cover because the TV is on there. I simply wanted them to rebill correctly so the charges would be correct in my expense account.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 28, 2019

This company is almost impossible to reach and the commercials they run are just so unreal. They are running a commercial which leads one to believe that if you subscribe to their internet service they will help you adopt a Asian child which when questioned they admit they cannot help you adopt a Asian child.

Original review: March 17, 2019

I have been a with Bright House for 20 years. Then Charter bought them out. My rates were raised and when I called to get better pricing they lowered them by $10.00. I switched to another cable company. Now I am getting letters asking me to come back to Charter listing prices MUCH LOWER than I was paying. I find it interesting that they are willing to provide lower rates once a customer leaves. Just found out they had bankruptcy in 2009. That explains a lot.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I have had Spectrum for years. All of a sudden my internet goes up $30, TV goes up $30, and they took several movie channels away. When I called, I was told that the pricing I had in place was being discontinued. I was never advised that there was an expiration date when I started services. In adjusting my programming, my bill is now what I was paying 6 months ago...for a lot less. I was told that I saved quite a bit of money, which isn't the case. I now have less than half the channels I had previously for the same cost. I was actually spoken to as though I should have been grateful for their service. I will be shopping for a new provider.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charter Communications?

Original review: March 6, 2019

I thought it would be a good idea to switch our TV service to Charter, and bundle to save money. Boy, was I wrong. Somehow, our three lines turned into one working line. Then they didn't tell me that I could not change each individual TV with the remote (it had to be on the box). Now, I don't know which restaurants have enough space for the TV boxes that would be within reach, but we definitely don't. My management would have to climb in the attic to change channels if needed. So first third party is being paid to fix this for us. Then, when I called about the three phone lines, they took my phone lines down saying it would be only 5 minutes. It was practically all day. They would not help. They would not expedite services. They would not do anything to get us up and running, other than tell me 'someone will call within an hour'.

Then, our internet goes down! Now we can't take reservations, to go orders, run credit cards, or play music. Well, we are open and trying to not lose customers, so this wasn't a good for us at all. After the hour plus passed and no calls about the service needed, I called back to see where the service call was. THEY HAD CALLED THE NUMBER THAT DOESN'T WORK? So wait three more hours before I can actually talk to someone. By that time, my local tech guy (see, another third party I am now having to pay) was able to make it out and cleaned up everything Charter had messed up. Good for nothing, if you ask me.

Original review: March 5, 2019

Charter has been awful for the 5 years that we have been forced to use them (due to our area). Consistently raising rates and the service is spotty. We go outside of our house no more than 5 feet and have no internet service. Always raising our rates by $20 every year and no desire to help. $66 per month for internet alone is sad. Then they want to offer us to add to our package to reduce that rate... $110 later we still have ** service and a “reduced rate?” No thanks. Raise rates every year due to “promotional rates?” ** service you could choose. Do not go with Charter if you don’t have to.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Spectrum is worse than TWC. Cable goes in and out. Internet stinks. It took 6 hrs to get tech support on the phone to tell them the whole street is out of cable. They can only go to one house - whoever calls. EVERYONE on this street is 90++. They don’t know how to contact you. They don’t have the strength to wait on the phone for 6 hrs pushing one damn button after another for one stinking recording after another to wait for some moron who has no intention of solving the problem or giving you credit for their stinking lousy service. No one does. 6 hrs... And it's every damn week something is out or wrong and no one cares.

This is the worst service ever. $250 a month for nothing. Standard cable internet phone and nothing works. The bill keeps going up but they keep taking services away from us every month. There is nothing - nothing to watch on your channels - all with the same crap on day after day night after night. Who the hell watches my 600 lb life? Or any of the disgusting reality crap shows they show nonstop??? Anyone? What the hell are you charging us for??? Nothing to watch. They even took the Yankees games off in the evening so no one can watch them. Hey Spectrum - you stink!!! What a bunch of crooks!!!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

It's now taking premium channels I have had for years and now wants me to pay for them again. Sorry not again. Going to Amazon. They had a dispute with the tribune and passing prices to customers. Goodbye.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

The worst wifi/internet I’ve ever experienced in my life. We pay so much for the internet to work so little. Terrible connection to mobile devices, and a very hard time connecting to laptops. This is the only company I can use for wifi in my area. I can’t wait to never use Spectrum again.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

So I have just wrapped up my one year service with Charter Spectrum here in Durham, NC and as it ended my initial internet rate of $44.99 has jumped to $ 70.99. When I initially was looking for internet service, as I had just purchased a new home, I was very specific in dealing with them and needed my internet to be around $50.00/ month and they told me, when my initial service was up, just call back and we will work with you to keep your pricing where you need it. Well that didn't happen and as a matter of fact in dealing with them in chat and on the phone, their stance was, "Well your initial discount is over and it is what it is now and we don't have anything else we can do, so if you need to leave us, we understand."

I feel duped, but more so feel like there is no customer service here at all. You get someone who not only pays their bill, but is happy with service and instead of creating loyalty, you're ok with throwing them away with no effort. As soon as another provider is available in my area, I will be moving on and will make sure I let everyone I know, what "great customer" service you will receive.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

This review is for Charter Spectrum services and HIDDEN fees. We tried their streaming tv trial which was supposed to have no contracts or hidden fees and be only $20 a month after the trial. Well not only does their streaming tv stink and has poor features, it added $35.65 to my bill! When I went to cancel their service I find out that they then added $11 to my internet bill for going back to just internet! REALLY! They do not let you know that when you try their crap service they will jack your previous services. So DO NOT try their streaming tv, it totally sucks and they spank you if you don't keep it. They are a bunch of thieves. If you have the option of another service provider choose someone else.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I switched to a stream only package and they continued to bill me for the full cable package. I called multiple times and was told it was their error and put on hold with no one getting back to me for over 40 minutes. Their system recognized I had called when I called back but even though the gal told me she was working on their error and straightening it out, there was no follow through. The amount of time I have wasted trying to sort through a bill error on their part is horrible.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

If I could give 0 starts I would. Charter is the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with. They have increased my bill several times and always say, "Oh after so many months it goes up this amount." So the longer you stay with the company the more you pay. That is absolutely absurd. I am currently on the line with AT&T setting up new services and will be canceling service with Charter. I will go without services before I ever give Charter another penny of my money.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I got the 100 speed internet from Charter Communications but I have never got to 100. I never get any faster internet than 30. When I bring it up to them they say I need to upgrade the equipment but the equipment is from them. They are not willing to help me. I can not wait to leave and get a different internet company.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I called in to ask about upgrading to the Gigabit internet. Was told the $199 upgrade fee would apply because the tech would need to spend several hours at my home upgrading the service lines. When he came out, he literally made a ten minute call, upgraded the service over the phone and never replaced any wiring. I was also told on the phone by the sales rep that they would provide me with a new upgraded modem and router, which they didn’t, because I already had the Gigabit equipment. So basically I was charged a $199 “upgrade fee” for no reason. I have four pages of this situation documented. I filed an FCC complaint. I will now contact my investigative news station to see if they will do a story on these liars!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

No service at our FL home since they are incapable of sharing lines with Xfinity. Therefore I am forced to use their horrible email system. Do not buy or rent in FL until you learn who is to provide your service.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

They promise you the world but give you completely mediocre service. The Internet speed is awful, the WiFi phone service is horrible, the availability of tv offerings is horrendous. I would not recommend this to my worst enemy.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

Bill too high for what I get. They have taken channels away that I liked and replaced with really crappy channels. Thinking about going to streaming. Internet says I'm getting 100 MBPS but tests only show about 20. Customer service like talking to someone in Pakistan.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

If I could find a cable provider like I had before Charter bought Bright House I'd jump at the chance to switch. They had excellent customer service-same day service. The price was fair & the product was reliable. Charter jacks up the price $12/year for no reason. The reception is sketchy at best. Repair service is next day or 2 days later, if lucky. Customer service is civil at best, rarely nice. Half the time I can't gain online access to my account. Last month I couldn't gain access to my online account for an entire month & had to pay bill on the phone instead of online, because they couldn't get problem fixed in time.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

It is astronomical prices and very expensive. Most channels are the ones that most people are not interested in. Prices are over the roof for mostly news channels. If I could I would rather extend a Ariel on roof and get the free channels. The people are difficult to get in touch with. Service goes in and out.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Spectrum takes advantage of their monopoly like no other. They keep raising rates while providing no justification for it. They charge me a sports channel tax even though I despise sports channels and would never subscribe to one. I am looking hard to get out of the Spectrum sewer!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Absolutely too high, continue to increase prices. Fixed incomes are not that flexible. I am going to shop other services unless they can help me with the price. They help you and then the next thing you know they have increased it again.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

Was ok when it was Time Warner Cable but since Charter/Spectrum has taken over things have got progressively worse. Calling up customer service is very painful & tedious as I have to wait on very long holds only to find out I need to be transferred for even another wait. Internet service fluctuates dramatically & prices are ridiculously high compared to the areas around the globe even. Charter/Spectrum is one of those companies that bucks the axiom "You get what you pay for." It is unfortunate our government allows such mega mergers as Charter/Time Warner Cable, allowing CEO's/shareholders to get obscenely rich while customers suffer the consequences.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

It is just getting too costly to be able to watch TV these days. I am tempted to try one of those sticks (Roku?) instead of paying so much for cable each month. Are use it for my cable also and I am not the best and all these new electronics so I need help finding something that would be a much better deal.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Not worth the 175 dollars a month I pay per month. There is very little competition so a consumer only has two companies to choose from for service. They have you by the short hairs... It's a lose lose lose situation.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Good program lineup. Fast internet. Almost zero downtime. Too expensive, but same as competitive offerings. Rarely have problems and only with scheduling repairs. Customer for more than 15 years. Was the worst, but now the best.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I have a spreadsheet of all of the times I cannot get service from Spectrum/Charter. I pay my bill on time & it is INEXCUSEABLE that my service is so lousy. I pay for 100 mbps download speed and have NEVER remotely tested it that fast. It’s dishonest to give 43 MBPS & charge for double that. They almost always say there is an outage in my area when I call. Then fix it! There is a huge thread on the App NextDoor of enraged customers.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

They are getting too expensive, they raise their price all the time, if I didn’t need the internet I would cancel Charter. Not happy with their prices and service, our cable acts up all the time... and I have only internet.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Internet is OK. TV has been terrible to poor. Many problems first 2 years & service stinks. After many trips still have audio & picture freezes, sometimes screen goes to blank gray. One call changed main box & tech said we did not even have HD. 1220 ft. of mainline changed & better but still have intermittent issues several times a week. Occasional lines of jumbled pixels. For over a month had no channel guide. CAN YOU SUE A CABLE CO.???

Charter Communications expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1993, Charter became a Fortune 500 company in 2001 and serves more than 6 million customers nationwide. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri.

• Tiered bundle pricing: Consumers can add extra channels to their package, as desired, with three tiered options along with bundled Internet and telephone service. Plans range from 125 to more than 200 channels.

• Fiber available: Customers in select areas can use fiber connections for extra high-speed Internet.

• No contracts: Consumers are not required to sign a contract for the company's bundled services, and they can stop using the service at any time.

• Free HD: Customers receive access to more than 200 HD channels for free.

• Large volume of on-demand programming: Charter offers a high volume of on-demand content, with more than 10,000 titles.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, households on a budget and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs