1.41/5
Based on 441 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

2363 Charter Communications Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 11, 2018

I called Spectrum to upgrade my service. They gave me a time between 3 and 4 and said it would be 99 dollars upgrade charge for modem and tech would have to come out to upgrade my business class service. I told her I work on major networks for living and she stated that she would still have to dispatch someone. I agreed and took half of vacation day. They also told me that tech would call me 20 minutes before arriving. We agreed.

Next day I waited and did not hear from anyone. So at 3PM I called support and a lady stated that tech has been assigned and would be calling. At 4:15 no one still called. So I called back and they escalated to another department. I get a call back at 4:45 and lady stated they overbooked and no one could be there today. Can they reschedule. I wasted whole damn day waiting for them only to tell me it's their fault but you are S.O.L. It got little amusing after a while when their service called to find out how the service went. Did the tech resolve my issues. My opinion: Spectrum don't give a ** about customers they have. They only care about signing up new customers because it looks good for stockholders. If you have another option in your area go with them because as I said before Spectrum is a terrible company.

Original review: July 4, 2018

Had Verizon before. Saw Charter offer better deal and faster internet service. Switch to Charter and instant regret. Paid over $159 for internet installation, another $50 for first month service. Internet service keep disconnecting every 15 minutes every day. Called customer service more than 8 time, every time waste 20 minutes on automate system. Had service agent came over. Try to fix 3 times. Still have disconnection issue. Finally decided to cancelled the service after first the month because internet don't work at all.

Charter Communications Reviews: What To Know | ConsumerAffairs

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 28, 2018

I've talked to several agents regarding my Charter account. All agents were VERY RUDE!!! They transfer you to different departments & keep you on extensive holds in hopes you HANG UP!!! You are then left with NO resolution!!! These people are horrible! I am being charged $200.00 a month for basic cable service & 1 Showtime channel. When reviewing my account current services, the total is $164.79.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Made some changes to my account, they refunded two payments of money to the wrong accounts, and kept sending bills. They had no idea where the payments were going, because they were sending the money to the wrong accounts. After they figured out where the money went, they basically left it up to me to get my money back. They basically acted like it was now a "personal problem". Very unfair.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I've consistently had poor customer services with Charter Communications in Brevard County Florida, including an installer who lied about showing up at my place and "missing" us, when there were no fewer than six of us at the small house all day, with the front door open. When I reported this to the cable company, no one I spoke with cared. Today, I attempted to speak with support three times to find out if their credit card system was down. The last time I stared at a chat window, waiting for someone to response for 75 minutes, at which point I closed the call. When I called, they wanted to bill me $5 to speak with someone. This is apparently a marketing company that cares little about customers. Can I give them zero stars?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charter Communications?

Original review: June 24, 2018

Recently Charter started blocking 90% of the content I watch on my Fire TV Device. I called them about it and they lied to me saying the problem was Amazon server issue, if they tell you that, don't believe it because I now subscribe to a VPN service and can see more TV and movies than ever before. FYI.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I keep losing my cable TV programming. Although I pay for the fastest internet service, my service is slow. Spectrum technicians have been out at my house several times, but none have been able to fix the problem. Each technician has submitted a maintenance request, but after repeated phone calls over a two week period, I'm still waiting on SPECTRUM technicians to respond. I do not, under any circumstances, recommend this internet or cable provider. I really need to start streaming my TV programs.

Original review: June 20, 2018

On the phone for 2 hours and 48 minutes. Every single person we talked to lied and had no idea what the other areas we're talking about. They had us upgrade our package so we could stream cable through our PS4’s. Well you can’t do that but 2 different members of Spectrum said we could. So I asked to just give us back our internet only. Mind you we’ve had service for only a month with them, they said we can’t. It’ll be more now after dropping a service!!! We never had the service. They told us wrong. I never hooked it up. It wouldn’t work!!! Talked to a manager and they said the same thing. Just lie after lie. Oh by the way we are paying for 300mb and don’t ever get 200 which I called about in the same call. They accomplished nothing. So 2 hours and 48 minutes and we got our bill raised on our internet from 39.99 to $90. What a bunch of bs!!! Don’t get Spectrum. The biggest rip off artists of all time.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I have been trying to get service with Charter Communications in my home and have not been able to. I have been trying for 13 years now and I keep getting told my address is not serviceable. After 13 years of trying I feel the company should run the wiring so I can get service from them. I am not far from a road that has the service ran on. I am very very unhappy and upset. I can't get their service after 13 years of trying (since I bought my home on 4-1-2005). There should be something that can be done about this.

Original review: June 14, 2018

We are paying 67 dollars just for internet included taxes. Decided that internet cable would be a good saving for us, because DirecTV, was getting expensive $150.00 dollars so they offer us streaming cable, we thought it was going to be great! 2 packages, English and Spanish channels, for about $50.00 a little bit higher. So we needed Roku to get access, we bought it $100 about for the device, bring it home, just to get into the app, and move the controls was upsetting to me. I don't watch TV, but I need to know how it works because my mom watch Univision, Unimax and Telemundo, my dad watch, Sur, Peru, Peru, Magico and other news channels, my husband of course NFL it must be a must.

So, when I try to watch Univision, it didn't show me in my guide, no Sur Peru and other channels, I call Spectrum, and found out, that with Roku, I only see some channels, not all the channels I suppose to see, or what I paid for, they said, that I would be able to see it only if I rent the box, so, since my mom is the one who watch more TV, I rented the box, easy to use for my mom, but later, sometimes channels will work, and sometimes not, like every time I open Univision or Sur Peru, it will show me: currently unavailable!!!

OMG I have to call then, I have to follow directions to do the reset, my goodness. After 30 minutes I have TV again, so this was going on and on, but I am done with the last one, and it was like a week ago, when Peru had a friendly games with the Emirates Arabs, I couldn't find the channel, so I call Spectrum again, and they said those games are only available pay per view. WHAT??? That was the main reason I order for, I spoke with the guy for about 1 hour, because I want him to understand what I want, and I spoke him in Spanish, my language!!! My own language and I ask him more than 3 times, "Are you sure I will see the world's cup with this package," "Yes ma'am," yes yes yes, and now, I can't. So, for trying to save some money, I ended up, expending more money. I am getting rid of it now, it's not worth it.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Spectrum Cable in Hawaii is one big rip off. They are the only cable service for my area and they are just a horrible company to deal with. Now that they have gone HD everyone has to get a HD box which causes you to not get regular basic channels you might enjoy. You have to upgrade another $50/mo to get what you were already getting. They force me to have two accounts because of a refrigerator in one of my bedrooms. My advise is to drop Spectrum Cable for television and get yourself an Apple TV and download apps. When I disconnected my television service my bill went up!!! They are just the worst. I beg another cable provider to come to my area in Waialua, Hawaii. I will drop them ASAP. Spectrum Cable is run by criminal mafia pigs, creeps... they have no Aloha and should leave Hawaii. To charge for each television is ridiculous. I pray for the day I can drop them.

Original review: May 24, 2018

In moving my service to a new address and making changes to my service (which was really complicated in and of itself and impossible to do online) the customer service/sales guy gave me a price of $174 for the Gold package. After hanging up, I wondered "Was this price a promotional one?" so I called back. Yada-yada... the person with whom I spoke this time informed me that the service (Gold, same thing) was be $145 per month, and that the price would in fact go up approximately $20 after a year. Good enough.

I ask where I might view the prices and packages, to which she replied that such a list was not available, as there were "so many variables." Not wanting to be on the phone any longer, after I pointed out how odd that was, I ask that she send me the price as we had discussed, along with the detail (I mean, I got one price before, and here is a different one!) Which she indicated would go out automatically as I was changing my service. However, I never got that email, so I called again! This customer service person, when I asked about an email, indicated that Spectrum did not (although the said could not) email customers directly, but was thinking of doing that soon. An internet service provider that can't e-mail!

After pointing out that they do and can email, as that is how I get my bill, and much back and forth trying to get her to acknowledge how strange it was not to provide something indicating what we can expect from each other (she never budged!) she put me on hold, and finally said that her "supervisor would email me (at the email address she had, to which I receive my bills)." I am still waiting. Again - Spectrum - internet service provider - can't/won't e-mail pricing (which is nowhere to be found).

Original review: May 22, 2018

They promote "no contracts" but it is in their favor! I was getting very little for $196 monthly - then in Feb 2018 it jumped to $214 - in April to $225 and when I received my May statement it is now $236.00!!! This just feels illegal - it is wrong!

Original review: May 20, 2018

There has been a number of outages in my area and when calling in to get information, I get mixed advice and information. One major event (World Series) was down while on their streaming service and when I called to get information, they said it was overloaded and had people on site working to fix the issue. It wasn't fixed until after the World Series. I called to complain about the bad service and they said they would reimburse my account for lost service time once they calculated everything.

Couple months later, service was down again for a long period of time and the customer service rep told me that there would be credit once everything was back up. Now, service is down again, just called customer service and his response, "We don't issue credit unless service is down for over 4 hours at a time." I asked about the other times service had problems, he said, "You have to call back after 3 days to get the credit issued" me, "How can I get credit for the past issues?" Spectrum, "You can't, you need to call back within 3 days, even though you have a case open."

This is ridiculous, their service is not cheap, they boast the best service of all the competitors. I paid to watch the fight, games, and channels provided by them and understand that no one is perfect and everyone has issues, but if I'm paying for something and not receiving the service in return, what am I actually paying for? I will be contacting other providers sharing my story with everyone I can.

Original review: May 16, 2018

No contracts - 45 years since 70's- they had contracts. Their technicians have no idea what they are doing because of lack of experience in the field. Shows badly. Customer services has no power to service you - always in the dark, what to do for you. Bottom line with contracts - Charter couldn't honor them. They had dropped them. Too many complaints against Charter.

Original review: May 14, 2018

Spectrum services such as TV and Internet are below regular standards. Customer service just goes through the usual connecting and disconnecting the modem, while within a day later the service is back to the same issues. The internet is slow (at best). Constant disconnection, disruptions, and high prices. It feels more like DSL, than cable internet.

Original review: May 13, 2018

We wanted a Religious channel added & they said can’t do, because I wasn’t a new Customer? So they wanted more money after I have been with them for over 9 yrs! They were rude in handling me!

Original review: May 13, 2018

I own 2 homes. My home downstate is Verizon FiOS. Yes I thought it was expensive. I have 7 boxes and the Platinum package... the basic channels are great and I never have a problem with the internet. Spectrum? I have the 3rd tier basic package. I have 2 boxes and the channel lineup is horrible. I went from $139 to $169 for the bundle. I wouldn't mind paying more if they offered the same basics as Verizon but honestly it's garbage. I find myself watching news because that's the only thing decent on. I am not happy.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Most stations are repeated on 3 different channels so they say over 200 channels but it's more like 80 (They repeat twice on HBO, Cinemax and Showtime). Most channels also pixelate so they call it. Meaning the picture breaks up and the sound is also lost. They also charge about $7.00 per box and now you cannot hook directly to your TV (like we used to about 2 years ago) forcing you to have boxes on EVERY TV if you ever want to watch it again. We used to have it direct to TVs that we didn't watch much, like in bedrooms that just carried basic channels.

Charter is the ONLY cable company available in our area and neighbors that have satellite are not real happy with it so our options are limited. Internet in my opinion is high priced (of course I could pay even more if I wanted it to be faster!). I finally got a modem that is more reliable compared to the ones I've had over the course of 16 years. Phone service is however pretty good and reasonably priced. $19.99 per line with unlimited long distance. But, they sure make up for it with the cable and internet.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Charter service is good because they're all former Time Warner people. Cost wise, they are horrible. They lie, they find excuses for new charges. My bill has increased considerably. I can't use their correct name. I refer to them strictly as **!

Original review: May 12, 2018

When companies merge giving consumers little to no choice of who they purchase services from... This allows the company to increase rates significantly... Bring Time Warner Back. Thank you. My bill went up 35 bucks. No way. Fix it or I’m going to my Senator then Congress.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I have been a Charter customer for about two years after spending 16 years with DirecTV in my primary residence and Time-Warner in my vacation home. Both were better in every way and better priced than Charter.

Original review: May 12, 2018

My mother had/has DirecTV full package. And I had a roommate that had DirecTV, but he moved out, so I got Spectrum basic bundle of internet, telephone, and cable. No complaint with telephone, or use of internet but channels are doubled up and I can't record the maximum amount of recording choices without being forced to watch one of those recording at that time. Ridiculous.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Terrible company. Disorganized, long waits for service and service that is never constant, service wires going through trees, equipment that breaks down daily!

Original review: May 11, 2018

Have been a Charter customer for a very unfortunate three years. When recently moving homes they (without my knowledge) started me on a new bill plan. The payment I made two days prior only credited me 26$. I then was charged an additional 47$ for prorated service, even though I paid the prorated 40$ two days prior. I was also charged a transfer fee (which is frustrating but I was willing to pay). Now I’m owing double the prorate and another bill on top of that. Their math does not make logical sense. They consistently try to swindle you out of money and find any way possible to charge you extra. Horrible service. If you’re moving just cancel services and find another provider. These people are crooks.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Charter is way too expensive!!! Yes you get a lot of channels, but more than 60% we don't even watch nor do we like. I wish you could just pick the ones you use and pay per channel... much better... they aren't real great since Time Warner purchased them, we have had a lot of issues since it was complete! Not my favorite for sure.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I believe ALL tv transmission providers overcharge consumers. I have Charter and have the top tier programming option and many of the premium channels show the same programs.

Original review: May 10, 2018

I got a flyer in the mail about a deal Spectrum was offering for streaming TV, Spectrum TV Choice, to compete with FuboTV and DirecTV Now. Long story made short, I signed up for a 7-day free trial. The app was horrendous. Worst app I have ever tried to use. Their website is not much better. I tried to use it to sign up for this new service and all I got was redirects to their cable bundling deals. I signed up 5:30 PM and cancelled at 9:30. Cancelling was even harder than signing up. Not sure I am cancelled, yet, but will see when bill comes. Of course they say it a free trial, but they bill you and then when you forget to cancel, they have you for at least a month's worth of service... Terrible company. I am enjoying my Directv Now even more since I had this bad experience.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Charter is awful expensive. We dropped cable altogether but kept internet which is wildly expensive. Customer service is a time waster. First automated voice walks through reboot then a person comes on and makes you do it again.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Charter don't meet the standards advertised. Several times my picture was choppy and inconsistent. I have to have two DVR boxes at a higher expense because they are behind their competitors in technology. I am going back to DirecTV.

Charter Communications expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1993, Charter became a Fortune 500 company in 2001 and serves more than 6 million customers nationwide. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri.

• Tiered bundle pricing: Consumers can add extra channels to their package, as desired, with three tiered options along with bundled Internet and telephone service. Plans range from 125 to more than 200 channels.

• Fiber available: Customers in select areas can use fiber connections for extra high-speed Internet.

• No contracts: Consumers are not required to sign a contract for the company's bundled services, and they can stop using the service at any time.

• Free HD: Customers receive access to more than 200 HD channels for free.

• Large volume of on-demand programming: Charter offers a high volume of on-demand content, with more than 10,000 titles.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, households on a budget and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs