Looking for a TV service provider?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.97/5
Based on 1,195 ratings submitted in the last year

Charter Communications Reviews

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

We had phone, cable and internet with Spectrum for many years until they started increasing the monthly charges and not giving you any extra services for the increase. We finally cancelled our phone and cable and kept internet only which was a HUGE hassle. We were told our internet only price was $70.99 from then on but after only 2 months it went up $4.00. Our internet service is crappy, goes in and out daily. This company can increase their services anytime they please, it is a greedy company with horrible customer service! They could care less if they have your business and do NOTHING to keep it! Can't wait for another alternative!!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

My Billing Cycle started on August 22, 2019, and on or about August 28 or 30, 2019, turned in our equipment. I receive billing statements electronically and pay online. They indicated that back in May 2019, they notified all subscribers, based upon the feedback that they received from their subscribers, that they were changing to a subscription service instead of what usage that was received. Since my billing cycle began on 08/22/19 and I did not turn in my equipment and cancel prior to that day, I was charged for entire month of service, since I was a subscriber in the amount of $174.05. Even after calling them and even receiving calls from their "Corporate Offices", they are standing by their change that they made in May 2019 regarding their subscription service. They pocketed around $127.00 from me, without providing any type of service at all.

Those of us that receive digital billing, we do not read all the fine print of the billing, just the charges, we are charged. They very well know this, but this is the way that they can pocket free money and get richer and especially those of us that may be on a very limited income each month, lose out. I have placed a complaint with the FCC and Ohio Attorney General's office, due to the fact, if this is happening to me, there is no telling how many others it is happening to and how much money they are getting away with stealing from people.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

So we canceled our Spectrum cable service. First, the menu system was antiquated and bundled with landline and Internet. The internet was slow - generally about 30-35 MB/sec. We wanted to drop the landline and were told our price would go up. Our new billing cycle started Aug 25, we canceled on Aug 28. Spectrum apparently (and almost invisibly) changed to a monthly billing cycle and has billed us $185 for services we didn't receive. We were told we were informed of this on our April billing statement. Mind you, not multiple statements; just that one. When we called in to cancel our services, we were not informed of this change or we may have kept the service one more month.

When we signed up 3 years ago, we were told: "no obligation, cancel at any time". This commercial has run numerous times, yet Charter Spectrum changed the agreement with 1 small print notice in one bill. This is an egregious abuse of the customer and unacceptable as a business practice. I highly recommend you do not do service with Charter Spectrum and warn your neighbors and friends. When the Spectum contract comes up in your community, please speak up. Drive Charter Spectrum from your community.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

I cancelled my internet service today, September 28th, and was told that since I'm a day into the next billing cycle, I'll need to pay another $66 for an additional month (that I won't be using). Their business is greasy. Go with anyone else first (if you can). I just got T-mobile internet for $50 a month so I don't need their internet anymore. I used to be on their silver package (that was $99 for internet/TV/phone) but I'm perfectly happy with Netflix and save myself lots of money. Good riddance, won't be coming back.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

I really don’t recommend at all. Especially if you have a few phones, a tv and a few tablets or laptops. Complete garbage. I wish someone could have explained to me why my internet randomly goes out at 1 am, or randomly in general. I’ll restart my router and even with that it takes 15 minutes to reset a router? Their internet will make you want to pull your hair out of your head if you’re a person in the 21st century that uses it for just about everything, other than social media. Also, if you like to stream Netflix on a tv/laptop, expect the internet to get ridiculously slow... and then go out because it can’t process it. Just pathetic.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charter Communications?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

They will not hesitate to push you around or mess with your DNS resolve hosts against your will by pushing changes to your router (even though they said they didn't have access to it.) WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT. The promotions that are always running and run out in a year (usually an increase of 41% in pricing), wasting paper by mailing you every week about TV and a phone service. This company is too big for itself and it is well aware of this and isn't afraid to push the consumers around.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

After months of Charter slowly increasing my bill I canceled and returned all equipment one day after the previous month's service window. Charter would not pro-rate the bill down from a full month. After spending 45 min on the phone with the customer service rep, no middle ground was achieved. Terrible customer service.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Received bill for service 8/24-9/23/19. Cancelled & returned equipment 9/9/19. Expected bill for pro-rated period 8/24-9/9/19. Called and was told total amt due as they bill monthly basis. Pay for nothing!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Their customer service is a joke. I called on Aug. 25 because my internet/phone was not working. I explained the situation to the best of my knowledge and I was told that the first appointment was on Wed. but that it would be expedited and would be taken care of before that. I called again on Aug 27 and was told that the claim was misfiled and that it would be taken care of the next day. It was not. I called again on Aug. 28 and was referred to an agent that set up an appointment to have it fixed on Aug 29 between the hours of 1 and 2 pm. It was still not fixed.

I called again and was told that it would be Aug 31 before it was fixed. I explained that the date that I was given was the 29th. I spoke to an agent again (who I believe was the same one who had contacted me the day before) who told me that it would be fixed on Aug 30. It was still not fixed. The same agent called and said that it would be Aug 30. It was finally fixed on Aug. 30 by a tech who seemed to have a attitude about his having deal with the problem.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

Charter Spectrum and Spectrum are unbelievable. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I switched because they offered a lower price. Tech comes out to install, and tells me I'd have to pay additional fees for wifi, and an additional fee for installation of that, which makes it significantly more expensive than my current service. I call and they tell me there's nothing they can do, they do not know why the salesperson would have told me that.

WHILE on the phone with them, in a heated convo where admittedly, I got too worked up, but also the person on the phone had significantly raised his voice, a freaking door to door Charter guy shows up at my house. I tell him I am actually on the phone with his company as we speak regarding the lies they told me to get me to switch. He leaves. I then ask for a copy of my recorded conversation from when I agreed to the service, to prove they made me an offer that they are now refusing to honor, and he says no.

So I tell him I would like to speak with the legal team, because I am convinced they purposely lied to get me to switch and then hope I'd just agree to the additional fees once they got here. Once I ask to speak to legal, he says, "Ok. Hold on, I am sure we can get you the price you're looking for." THEN MY DOOR KNOCKS AGAIN. The door to door salesperson comes back to ask what was going on. I am on speakerphone this entire time still. He keeps telling me to just hang up the phone because the people I am on the phone with are 3rd parties and he works for corporate. Then they start yelling at EACH OTHER through MY speaker phone. The door guy tells the guy on my phone to call him directly right now, or he was going to report him to security. The guy on the phone refuses to respond, and the guy at the door keeps telling me to hang up. Eventually, I tell them both that they are out of their minds if they think I am going to still switch to Charter.

I called AT&T and told them what happened and to see if it was too late to cancel my cancellation. They increase my internet speed AND lower my bill. I left Charter Spectrum and Spectrum years ago because of their customer service. Shockingly, they managed to go downhill from their already horrible customer service. Charter Communications Charter Spectrum, you should be embarrassed.

Charter Communications expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1993, Charter became a Fortune 500 company in 2001 and serves more than 6 million customers nationwide. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri.

• Tiered bundle pricing: Consumers can add extra channels to their package, as desired, with three tiered options along with bundled Internet and telephone service. Plans range from 125 to more than 200 channels.

• Fiber available: Customers in select areas can use fiber connections for extra high-speed Internet.

• No contracts: Consumers are not required to sign a contract for the company's bundled services, and they can stop using the service at any time.

• Free HD: Customers receive access to more than 200 HD channels for free.

• Large volume of on-demand programming: Charter offers a high volume of on-demand content, with more than 10,000 titles.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, households on a budget and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs