1.28/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2403 Charter Communications Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I’m moving to Florida from a different state. On Nov 8, 2018, I requested service for my new address in Florida. The Customer service agent had me on the phone for 25min. I thought I was all set with my request which included 5 boxes. When I received confirmation email, I noticed the agent put address wrong and decide to call back. This new agent let me know that I was lied to. That the given price was for 2 boxes not 5.

It doesn’t ends there. This “new helper” walked me through a new and higher price for the service I wanted and since I was tired of being lied to, I agreed to this new plan. 5 boxes and a higher price. Called today 9/9 as I never received email from this second deal to find out THIS SECOND AGENT LIED TO ME TOO. The new price he gave me didn’t include 5 boxes. It included 4. This company customer service is the worse in the whole world. The person I spoke to put me on hold and after 10 minutes of waiting on a supervisor, I hung up because no one answered. This is very stressing and unprofessional.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Spectrum went all digital on September 5th 2018. Received 2 boxes from them. On one of my TVs I connected it, and it fried my HDMI ports, was unable to connect anything to it, and no picture was coming out. Had to go into Spectrum store to switch out with a cable box with a box that had composite outputs. After connecting that cable box I was able to get picture, but my HDMI ports were still not working.

Put in a claim with Spectrum. They sent out a tech to investigate. He test my HDMI ports and saw my HDMI ports were not working, tech said he couldn't do anything without original box. After weeks they couldn't find box to test it. I had the impression they didn't believe me, and they ask for proof of exchange... Sent tech a picture of the receipt, they still couldn't find the box. After weeks of waiting got an email saying they denied my claim. This is ridiculous. Broken flat screen TV and veeerrry poor customer service. After year with them I canceled my service and will never go back.

Get expert buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

As you can tell by the ratings these guys are crooks. I had internet, TV and phone installed in June of 2014. Shortly thereafter Charter made a systemic change and picked up a piece of equipment. When I canceled service in January of this year, they asked for that equipment back. After complaining that it had been picked up shortly after going with them, they finally agreed to remove it from the account but they did not return the money they had been overcharging me for the past three years. I finally got pissed after talking to a girlfriend who had the exact same thing happened to. I can only imagine how many others have been affected. I'm looking forward to finding out.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

At my mom's house over the holidays, I was hoping to help her upgrade her internet to something faster. This is in St. Louis, MO. I called Charter to discuss options. I was told that since my father was the account holder, he would need to be present for any changes. I informed Charter that my father was in a nursing home, bedridden, suffered from dementia, and that my mother had power of attorney. They wouldn't budge. I point blank asked the customer service rep if he really wanted me to go to the nursing home, get three nurses to move my dad from bed to a wheelchair, and then drive him into the store. His response, "That's our policy." Well, it's a dumb policy, you're a dumb person and Charter is a dumb company.

If you HAVE ANY OPTIONS WHATSOEVER, AVOID CHARTER LIKE THE PLAGUE. I haven't even started on the billings that were wrong, broken promises about "locked in rates" (HAHAHA), crappy picture quality on HD channels and slow speeds on our internet. I don't have time to talk about all the ways Charter has disappointed me in the 20 years I've had to suffer their services either as a subscriber or a visitor to family members with Charter, but I thought I would explain how they required my father to come in to their store to change a friggin' internet plan.

I'll send my emails via smoke signals before I even put my name on a Charter contract ever again. My father died within a few months of that idiotic exchange, so I guess we'll never get an opportunity to change or upgrade our internet. Thanks for your compassion, Charter! I'm glad I was able to support your profit margin, since that's all you care about.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I really hate this company. I have gone through 4 dvrs now. They keep saying nothing is wrong with them except for 1. My dvr now a new one keeps rebooting all the time. I lose everything. The guide says tba, I lose the menu buttons, it takes a while to come back on. My channels have audio problems voices go in and out sometimes the pictures pixel. I wish Dish network would buy them out. Get rid of them for good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charter Communications?

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Spectrum came to do a digital switchover at our hotel's property on October 12th. They came 2 hours late, after they said they would be there at 10 am to ensure that they were finished before our guests started checking in. They then left at 4 pm before even confirming with us that they were leaving and that all of the boxes were correctly installed. So, as we are having a full house of people arrive, we start finding out that at least 1/4 of the boxes were installed incorrectly or completely faulty. We then call Spectrum, no later than a half hour after their crew left, and ask them to come back to correctly install the boxes that weren't working. They tell us they will have someone right out.

11 days later, on October 23rd, and Spectrum had still not showed up. We called or emailed every day up until that point and were constantly met with "we have escalated your service order" or "someone will be out there later today." We went 11 days with a dozen or more out of order rooms because Spectrum could not be bothered to come fix what they incorrectly installed. Finally, I was able to get in contact with an account manager for the region, and he was able to actually escalate the order and had someone out in less than 3 hours. For them to provide service like this to a business is unacceptable. We lost revenue due to Spectrum's carelessness and poor customer service. I would suggest using another provider if there is one available to you. - A frustrated hotel manager.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

We were with AT&T Direct. Charter stated they would pay our fees up to 500.00 that were for our early disconnection fees with Direct. That was in May. Our last bill with Direct was 180.00 and our early disconnection fees came to 344.00. I paid the 180.00 right away and followed Charter's directions for the 344.00 fees. They sent 30.00 in July. I have been after Charter constantly. You can't talk to a real person in the department that handles it. You talk to a person in billing and they understand and apologize and say they are prioritizing it and you never hear back. I got a letter from Charter 2 weeks ago, this is now October 26th, stating, "Congratulations we have approved 266.00." Still haven't gotten that and what happened to the 78.00 minus the 30.00 they did send? Do not trust Charter!!! Go elsewhere. Anywhere. Stream all the channels you want, Amazon, Netflix, HULU, anything. Stay away from Charter.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

Called Spectrum Charter to set up Internet Service ONLY in the Greenville, SC area, due to a flyer that came to my home. I was told there would be no installation fees or one-time setup charges. When the day came for installation, they had me signed up for voice phone service and misquoted pricing. I only wanted internet service. They also tried to tack on installation fees and setup fees that I told them beforehand I would not pay for. Spectrum is a deceptive company. I canceled the order on principle that they are a dishonest company. You can't go on anything they say. If I could give them a -10, I would. They need to be investigated for bad business and deceptive practices.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Spectrum would have been my last choice for internet but I live in a condo association where satellite dishes aren't allowed... so Spectrum is the only choice. The service as Brighthouse was so bad I went over a year without cable at all and if it weren't for an aging mother I'd go without. The only time I watch is for the NFL games. While the cable TV is fine the internet is a joke. The Spectrum App can't go two full plays without buffering and while Speedtest.net claims the speed is 90mbps (I'm paying for 100mbps), the games are unwatchable. Buffering, then a play starts, stutters and jumps forward so you miss everything. I actually took screenshots of every time it happened last week and I had a folder of over 50 images (for ONE half of football).

I called Customer Service and they informed me they couldn't help because "I didn't have their cable modem." You mean the modem that has been proven to slow down speeds even more and costs $10/month? Yeah, no thanks. Needless to say, they didn't help. I can watch a game on Amazon Prime and I don't think it's ever had a problem during the entire broadcast. Spectrum can't go TWO plays. If you have ANY other options I'd urge you to choose anything else. I've been looking for something else (WOW, etc) and they haven't reached my area yet. $100+/month for cable and internet and you can't stream TV to any device. Great job Spectrum.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I have had Charter for internet for several years. Reliability has been acceptable over that time frame and they have increased throughout speeds as well. On the other hand, Charter support doesn't seem to know anything about their own technology. I've been using the Charter SMTP server for years and it has worked well. A week ago, I could no longer access the SMTP server (the destination for out-going email from my PC). I called, asking what changes had been made to the email SMTP server and was told no changes had been made. Further, the support person said the error message generated by their SMTP server was actually generated by my email client. I gave them the error code but they didn't have the documents to tell me what the error code pertained to. After going around a while, listening to them tell me I'm generating their error codes, I gave up with support and started digging into my side.

It appears that they had changed a setting which previously had been that SSL was optional to SSL encryption was now mandatory. Charter techs had made a change but hadn't relayed the information to their support personnel. That frustrating enough, but when the support people try making up nonsense to place the blame on the user, it's a bit too much. Their change to make SSL mandatory was a good thing on their part, but normal operating procedures would be to publish the change to the users using non-SSL connections (which they would have in their logs) and to inform their support people of the change being made. With this poor approach, they just make their support staff look like idiots and frustrate their users. I pity any Charter user that isn't sophisticated enough to realize when their support people are lying to spewing nonsense.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

Service was out again today, we called Spectrum to let them know and the agent that took our call said, "So what if you missed the game - I didn't get to see it either because I'm working - oh, that's probably not funny." We were paying customers up until that comment - cancelled our service on the spot - agent continued to be very rude until phone call was over. We will NEVER use this TV service in any form again.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Internet connection is unstable. WiFi calling unstable. Streaming TV app crashes upon start up every day. Fox News not offered with streaming TV yet, CNN & CSPAN are conveniently provided... Fox news app is also not supported by Charter Spectrum. I do not appreciate having sources of information excluded from me or to the public. This is an obvious display of the company's political bias. Charter Spectrum is filtering critical political information to the public as they see fit. This is a perfect example of how the media manipulates the masses by withholding information.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I just moved here and this is the worst internet I have ever seen. It totally doesn't even stay on a whole day. I'm contacting the Better Business Bureau because this is just nuts... I have to keep paying for data on my phone when I'm suppose to have Wi-Fi at my house... Are you serious... Stay away from Spectrum.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I have been a Time Warner customer for years and once Spectrum took over it has been a total nightmare. I haven’t added anything new to my modem since day 1 but my internet service is extremely slow, shuts off completely, in the middle a show. I was told I have the best services, which is not true. I call for assistance and it’s like a record playing verbatim how to fix the problem that never is fixed for more than a day, if that. I am starting to think that what happened in New York State with Spectrum is happening here in NC... Providing the minimum services to areas of lower statuses. They cannot continue to get away with this. They should not be allowed to do business if they are cutting corners with their services. If customers pay for the services they should reap all the benefits. Someone please help. Do not continue to accept this foolishness. That is not good business.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

We have only been a Spectrum customer in the Tampa, FL area for 5 months and the service has been atrocious. Our primary landline phone was installed by Spectrum in the back of a built in wall unit. The installer didn't want to be bothered running a new line in the home we had recently purchased. We experience chronic cable outages of one type or another. When I say chronic I mean daily problems. Never does a day go by without an issue... On Demand unavailable, certain channels unavailable or digitally freeze up and are unwatchable, apps won't load on smart TVs, etc. We have been on the phone, in the rare case when they can be reached, with customer service and the standard response to service outage inquiries is "sorry about that, the technicians are working on it". This appears to be business as usual with this company. How can these people stay in business?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

After agreeing on contract, they installed internet but not phones. Took them 3 months of constant visits and phone calls to get full service from them. Cost us a lot of money because we didn't have a triple play with our old company any more, so we were charged the high price. You'll get a lot of conversation & back & forth. If you don't have any work to do for a living, jump right into them. FROSTING ON THE CAKE, WON'T HONOR CONTRACT PRICE, they claim they lost our email.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

Supervisor told me there was no way to change the billing zip code for the debit card I was using for payment. Very rudely yelled and told me the zip code associated with card was not a factor in running the card for payment. He refused to change the billing zip code in order to run the card. After feeling humiliated I told him OK and hung up. Minutes later I was able to figure out how to change the billing zip code online and the payment went through with no problems and my service was restored. As a supervisor he was very unprofessional, extremely judgmental and rude. I have been a customer for over 5 years and after my contract is up I WILL be switching to another carrier. This whole process took over 2 hrs for me to fix the problem myself after being talked to like crap. Several members of my family have Spectrum and after this they will be switching as well.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Poor customer service. Employees are uneducated on their services and systems. Supervisor Walter was defensive, unprofessional and strongly lacked customer service when dealing with a confused & upset customer. Had to speak to 6 different employees in order to verify the information was correct over a 2 day time span. Internet needs to be rebooted several times a week and rarely meets the internet speed in the package which is an issue for someone that works from home. Have to call to make changes, etc which is very old school and time consuming.

If a company is boasting their technology, then allow the customer to make changes for moving, complaints, feedback, etc via the internet. Hoping a high speed internet for those that work from home will be introduced to the area to provide further options instead of having to be stuck with Charter. Customer shouldn't need to physically return equipment if no longer want service or equipment is outdated. Employees on site are lacking engagement and are slow. I have been a charter client for 10+ years, too bad they haven't improved their quality and service. If have a complaint need to call (WASTE OF TIME) or mail in the complaint (WHAT and WHY would I mail when there is email???).

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Been waiting for the new network shows to come on and Charter Spectrum lost the signal on all local mainstream channels. Seems like every time something highly rated comes on, Charter loses its signal. Very frustrating.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

After spending an hour on the phone with Spectrum Cable determining my cable plan, a installation date was selected with a window between 2:00 and 3:00 PM. I received numerous automated calls saying that the technician would be there between 2 and 3. At 4:20 PM, I received an automated call saying he was on his way. Not! At 5:00 PM I received an actual call from the technician himself that he was on his way and would be there in 20 minutes. I canceled as I had to leave at 6:00. I never received a call back from Spectrum to reschedule or to offer an apology. I did call and speak to customer service who did not offer any satisfaction other than "we're sorry." I am completely disgusted with their so called customer service, as they advertise how important the customers time is. Not true. Would not recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Firstly since they cut the cable and went all digital nothing works, and they will not make deals if you have been with them for decades, only new customers. Several channels never work with the box, they are pixelated all the time. This is the good stuff. The app never works, at least half of the week it is not available. You pay out the nose for a service that does not work, you are on the phone with them for hours. "We are aware of the problem, our techs are working hard to fix the problem." This is a lie. It's what they say word for word, on the phone or online. Now the really good stuff. They have stopped letting you use "on demand" to binge watch your favorite shows. You can watch one, ONLY ONE. It's all that is available.

If you get Hulu, YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, or ANY other app they have this option, Spectrum stopped offering it this week. They tell you to get a Roku to get their app or Xbox one, It never EVER works. EVER. If you complain, they do not care. Why anyone buys stock in this worthless company is beyond me. Every day they take more and more away that every single app available in the US right now offers for FREE. And it's the only app that does not work. HBO, Hulu, and Netflix all work. Now...they offer internet at high speed 100 mbps, they charge more for it $80. You are lucky if you get a quarter of that speed, and that is not just sometimes, it's all the time. If you are looking for a good company for your TV needs this is not the one.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

After one day of having the service I knew it was a worst service I have ever had. The app for the smart TV is anything but smart. It takes 15 minutes to get into the app so your movies can freeze 5 minutes after you start watching them. Service freezes drops glitches. I've only had it for a week now and I have AT&T U-verse coming out to take this crap out of my house and put U-verse back in. Would not recommend this to my worst enemy. Run Forrest run. The only reason I gave them one star is because you have to give them at least a star to leave a review otherwise I would have gave them nothing.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I had requested my phone number be ported over from AT&T and it is in their work order which they emailed to me. After installation I realized they assigned a new number and when I called to complain they said it my fault and I need to reopen the account with AT&T to port the number over??? Why did they not mention this before or even on the day of install? This company is lousy and rude customer service representatives. WATCH OUT if you have any problems.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Customer service representative Kristina was the snarkiest and rudest person I've ever dealt with in customer service. Every time I would ask a question she would give me some smart** response and tell me why the other internet companies were worse than them. I waste my time looking for other providers because they told me they couldn't do anything about my bill going up to an extra $20 a month after being with them 3 years. Then I call to disconnect and magically they can reduce the price, but again only for a little while.

I say I want to still disconnect their services and without asking me which day she says, "Okay your internet is now off." I needed a one day window and wasn't given the chance. Then she tells me I have to drive 1 and 1/2 hours to drop off the modem, I ask to speak with a manager, and she sits on the phone with me for 30 minutes waiting. Finally tells me there is no manager, but I can get a home pick up at only the service address if I can commit to being home one day for a full 12 hours to wait.

What world does this company provide service in? The one where people who work hard for a living don't want to pay $70 a month for internet, or drive 1 1/2 hours, or sit at home for 12 hours to return equipment to a company that is horrible in the first place. I asked billing history questions while I was on the phone with her "waiting for her supervisor", and said she would transfer me, even though she had the information in front of her and wasn't doing anything anyway. SO unhelpful, so rude. Thanks for making leaving your services so difficult and exhausting Charter. If I could give zero stars I would! Stay away from this company!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

We moved & transferred our service 4 months ago. Apparently they didn't close out the work order at our old address & apparently continued billing us for the old address and our new address. Only we never received any bills for what they were billing us at our old address. All of a sudden, we receive a bill in the mail for our old address for $1131. Now 2 days later, they've disconnected our service & they want their money. They mess up & they want their customers to pay for it. Is this really how to run a business? Don't waste your money. If they make a mistake, expect to pay for it!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

They recently updated their software. It has been disastrous since! They do not care, do not offer any change. They have the highest prices for the worst service. The cable often goes out, frequently cannot access on demand. They send people out to no avail. The service is very slow and crashes often.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I used to have Dish TV and one day I had a problem. I called their technical help and the sweet young girl from the Philippines put me on hold for 5 minutes came back and the problem was solved. In the two years I had them I never had any issues. Several times during powerful storms they went out but it was just for a couple minutes.

Now let's talk about Charter Spectrum. I've had them for a year because I cannot put a dish in my apartment. I've called at least 20 times for technical help to repair the guide and to make my DVR work properly. They never have been able to fix it. I got one $50 credit and that's it for a Year's worth of hassles. I've had the TV go out and no service at all half a dozen times. I've spoken to many technical advisors and the excuses, "Oh we are working on the guide," "We are having problems." But they never fix it. It's like having a car that you buy brand new and the radio doesn't work and they keep telling you that they're going to fix it but it never gets fixed! Charter Spectrum cable it's the worst rip off I've ever experienced in my entire life.

I am 64 years old and I'm absolutely shocked that in the year 2018 this cable company can't get the Guide to work properly. In addition the picture quality is absolutely dismal. Compared to Dish it is garbage terrible stuff. And evidently Charter Spectrum does not care that people are paying good money but they're not providing a good service and return. I think it is equivalent to theft. They are stealing our money and giving us nothing in return. I would never recommend that anybody get Charter Spectrum for anything. And their hundred megabytes internet? That's a joke! My TV only does Wi-Fi and my computer only does Wi-Fi. The fastest speed I ever get on my phone or computer is 20. I should be refunded 80% of my Internet bill because it's all I'm getting is 20% of what they promise.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I just got off the phone with a representative from Spectrum (Charter Communications) due to service issues with my modem. I asked for a supervisor, as this has not been my first issue, and was immediately transferred to the Supervisor Support Team. Please keep in mind that asking for a call center supervisor doesn't necessarily mean you will speak with the type of "Supervisor" you have in mind. Escalations in call centers are handled the same way as normal calls, but rather than speaking to a "floor representative" you will speak to a member of the "Supervisor Support Team". Christopher, the representative I spoke with, was straight to the point, humble, and honest, advising me that the credit the "billing" department would give me is totally separate from any credit I could be due from lost service. He advised that a technical service representative could take a closer look and issue credit for any "lost service" I had experienced.

I explained that I had no interest in speaking with the technical support department, (I cannot stand to talk to tech support), and I would be happy to accept any billing credits offered, and consider the issue resolved. Christopher applied a reasonable credit to my account for the issues I've been having with no additional hassle. I will be replacing my modem at my local store as soon as I get a chance. This was an exceptional experience with Spectrum (Charter) Customer Service, and I endorse this company as having reasonable customer service, in an expeditious manner. If you are considering this service, please, call and talk to someone within the business before blindly taking the reviews to heart. I had an exceptional experience. Thank you to anyone that took time to read this in its entirety and thank you Spectrum for resolving my issue. 5s across the board!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

This company is literally the worst that I have ever dealt with. I have had numerous providers for internet service and none of them have been this bad. Every single day my internet connections cuts out and when you call into their corporate office they say it’s because you don’t have a high enough speed to handle my usage. I literally only use it for Netflix and my phone is always off the WiFi (because it doesn’t work anyway) and it doesn’t work no matter which plan I have. I have to constantly reset my router and sometimes that doesn’t even work. I have had their fastest plan and their slowest and it does not make a difference. I only have them because I don’t have any other providers in my area. If I could pick anyone else I would. Not only does their service suck but their customer service is nearly incapable in helping you and they raise your charges all the time without notifying you. Stay away!!! Really!!!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

I have been a Time Warner/Spectrum customer for over 20 years, I’m very dissatisfied with the service now that it is Spectrum... My monthly bill goes up every six month and the operators that help over the phone are trained to say your promotional service has ended, that is why your bill is going up, every year they put me on a promotional service and that is not what I ask for. If you want to put me on a promotional service then leave my bill at the promotional rate it was at for the past year. I went from paying $120 to now $160, I will be changing service. Once I drop Spectrum don’t send me any material asking me to come back, you are losing a loyal customer. We need to ban them from California, they are a ripoff. I feel sorry for the people who work for that company, they have all been trained to lie to the consumers. I want to give 0 stars.

Charter Communications expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1993, Charter became a Fortune 500 company in 2001 and serves more than 6 million customers nationwide. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri.

• Tiered bundle pricing: Consumers can add extra channels to their package, as desired, with three tiered options along with bundled Internet and telephone service. Plans range from 125 to more than 200 channels.

• Fiber available: Customers in select areas can use fiber connections for extra high-speed Internet.

• No contracts: Consumers are not required to sign a contract for the company's bundled services, and they can stop using the service at any time.

• Free HD: Customers receive access to more than 200 HD channels for free.

• Large volume of on-demand programming: Charter offers a high volume of on-demand content, with more than 10,000 titles.

• Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, households on a budget and customers with special interests.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs