Compare Offers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.19/5

Charter Communications, which also operates under the name Spectrum, is an internet, cable and phone service provider. Under the name Spectrum, Charter Communications offers high-speed internet services in 41 states.

Charter Communications Compare Offers

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

Find a service provider in your area

Compare offers on Find Your Internet

Get Started

Charter Communications Reviews

Original review: June 26, 2020

On March 30, 2020 I contacted Charter Spectrum to take advantage of the free broadband for two months to households with students that was offered as a gesture of support by the cable conglomerate in response to the pandemic from Covid-19. *Because mine is a family directly impacted by the devastation from novel coronavirus, I will be brief. Upon being assured, and then reassured, by the agent who took my initial call for the free two months service, that there WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY NO CHARGE WHATSOEVER for the two months free broadband service, I gratefully agreed to them sending me the "free installation kit".

For reasons unknown to me we were NEVER ABLE TO CONNECT their service despite multiple attempts to contact their set-up assistance department. *Which added up to many accrued hours of time lost for me and for the children in our household. We then receive a BILL from them for $283. I am emotionally distraught, mourning the loss/death of two of my closest family members. THEY HAVE NO RIGHT TO ABUSE an already strained public to advance their megalomaniac money making machine.

Original review: June 25, 2020

Unfortunately, there is no a 0 star rating. I tried several times to downgrade my services due to not being home after the pandemic began. First in April when I asked for the services to be downgraded they disconnected all my services for a week and did not give any credit for it. Then they told me I would have to call on the day before the bill generates 5/8/20 because they could not set it to turn off the services ahead of time unless I cut off all services. I called on that date and was told it was completed and I would be billed at the lower rate. I was billed for the higher package although I did not have the services. I had the bill on automatic payments so it was paid.

I had a letter from the CSR stating the cost of my new package. I brought the letter to the local store and was assured it would be rectified and I would be reimbursed for the overcharge. I am again (June 2020) being billed for the higher rate (this time I had taken it off automatic billing). I called billing again to let them know I should have a credit and was told for the first time that I called the day after the billing cycle and would have to pay the additional amount. It is amazing that a corporation as large as this one would treat a loyal customer in the middle of a pandemic so horribly. Especially when their services go out so often. They say there is not suppose to be any monopolies but when you live in a small rural area you have to accept what is provided and Charter is the only internet provider available. I truly hope they will soon have some competition and maybe they will treat their customers right.

Get buying tips about Satellite and Cable TV Providers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2020

I have come to consider this a thoroughly despicable company willing to exploit their monopoly in areas they have one. They have outright lied and provided false, inaccurate, and misleading information to me numerous times. There have been constant problems with the the billing since the day I first signed up for service - initially with them actually sending me a bill at all, then with them sending the bill sometimes a day before it's due, sometimes the week following its due date. They have refused me valid requests for accommodation for disability, they refuse to provide accurate information regarding their internet assist or low income internet programs to me despite requests for it for over a year. They have made false statements and filed false documents with the Massachusetts Department of Cable, and their head legal regulator has been directly rude and insulting to me in emails.

The problem is they are the ONLY high speed internet service where I live, and now I am about to lose my internet because of their despicable conduct. They refuse to reasonably discuss my concerns with me or try to resolve things in a fair manner. Worse I live in an area with a landline and had my phone service through these jokers too - but apparently they do not have to obey any telephone regulations at all...and the only other choice is Verizon who has already ripped me off. This is why this country if no longer great - because we have no infrastructure and we allow these monopolies and monolithic corporations to bleed the people dry and abuse us! I would love for Charter Spectrum to actually reach out to try to resolve things, but they have done nothing but waste my time and twist my words for the last 8 months.

Original review: June 11, 2020

In early May 2020 with COVID in full swing, my Internet was starting to have slower download speed. I called Charter and spoke to a technician for almost an hour he said he couldn't determine the problem and would dispatch a service technician. I asked if this was covered in my service agreement and I was assured it was and there wouldn't be a charge since they couldn't determine the issue.

When the service technician came out, he said he couldn't figure out any issue, replaced a cable to my modem and recommended possibly getting a newer router, even though he said the router I had was acceptable to get the 200mbps download. He left. I received a service fee for $49.99 on my bill plus taxes. I called on 5/18 and spoke to Marcus and said I wasn't paying this, I was not advised of this service fee in fact I was told there wouldn't be one. Marcus told me he was removing the charge as I was disputing it and he had approval from his manager to do this and to pay my bill minus the $49.99. So I did.

I got my bill for June and the charge was on this including a late fee now. I called again and now spoke to a very rude, condescending lady who said she would NOT remove the charge. She said that Marcus's notes stated he advised me he was not removing the charge. Why would I pay my bill minus this fee if someone did not tell me to do this? They are a bunch of liars and steal from us long term customers. Because of the rural area I live in, I don't have a choice on the type of internet service I get. This company is horrible and they stink. I've been a customer for over 20 years and they don't care about us at all. If I had a choice, it would NOT be Charter.

Original review: May 22, 2020

Spectrum Security was monitoring my home for a number of years as 'Time Warner Security". In early April I received an invoice from Brinks Security indicate they had acquired TWC Security from Spectrum although I never received a notice. I called them a number of time regarding my paying in advance for six months of service and they owed me for four months, a total of $60.00. I spent numerous hours on the phone trying to get reimbursed and last week I received a prepaid Debit card in the amount of $45.00 through 'Sunrise Bank'.

I am 83 years of age, don't get out to shop in order to use a prepaid debit card with my name on it therefore, I cannot give it to my son to use. Spectrum has given my house of trouble due to their lack of service and the fact that every time I call about this problem, I got another person in another state who knew nothing about my account or problem. I want a check from them not a prepaid Debit Card which I have to use before November. Also, I received a letter from 'Brinks' the same day the Debit Card arrived. MAKE THEM SEND ME A CHECK....

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charter Communications?

Original review: April 14, 2020

Company likes to raise prices like every 3 to 6 mos. I paid for Internet Ultra plan which is supposed to speed up to 400Mbps, but getting below 15Mbps. I don't expect anywhere near or above 60% of the max capability speed advertised, but averaging less than 4% download speed is just shameful. I am not sure if Charter/Spectrum throttle the speed because I don't have VPN service. I call and waited 1 and half hour only to be turn down. Their number one option to fix slow internet speed is to reset modem/router, which have been done multiple times, but without any improvements nor resolving the slow speed. Their website does not have option to lower plan. It seems to me that their claim of delivering high end speed only goes so far. I recommend existing customers to do a speed test to multiple servers and see if they are getting what they are paying for.

Original review: April 13, 2020

I've been a Charter Communication customer for over 10 years at various addresses. First, because there was virtually no reliable alternative/competition until about 6-8 years ago and then because again, the competition, wasn't reliable or viable in all service areas. With that being said, finally, an alternative, cheaper option arrived for Internet and I elected to cancel my service with Charter 3-days into my billing cycle and because their policy is to PRE-BILL services, I'm paying for a FULL month of service even though I only retained their service 3-days into my billing cycle.

Coordinating an alternative services installation during the COVID-19 crisis, is next to impossible and they say they can't change their billing policy or credit me for service, THEY DIDN'T PROVIDE AND SERVICE I DIDN'T WANT! I urge anyone who's worked for them, a customer of theirs, and their entire organization, to boycott, walk-out, and protest their board members, president, CEO, and instate a forward thinking, consumer focused, billing practice that doesn't skim off the top of customers and provide crappy, 3rd-world internet service.

Original review: April 7, 2020

We switched from DIRECTV today and there is a vast difference between the tiny box and easy DVR remote control we had with Directv and this huge box we now have. It is so large it will not fit on our mantle, which is the only place we can put it and it still reach the tv. I am pleased with my channel selection, the clear picture, and the easy guide channel, but I am blown away at the old-fashioned technology of this large box that now taunts my mantle. I am surprised Charter is so far behind on this.

Original review: April 5, 2020

On 3/27/2020 I reached out to Charter Spectrum 2 move my elderly mothers phone service to my house as she would be staying with us for an undetermined amount of time with being released from the nursing home. I waited an hour on hold and talk to a nice young man. Me and Michael who said it in order to do that we needed the four-digit code off the top of her bill. I had to explain to him that she had not received a bill in years due to the fact that when she was starting to go blind she placed many things on auto pay so they just pull the money out of her bank account. So he said if I could access her phone that he would send me a code. My mother just lives around the corner from me so I drove right over there. Michael sent a code and all was good until he realized I do not have phone service from Charter.

So he was going to have to send me to sales but he notated account very well and assured me that I would not have a problem from there. Approximately 45 minutes on hold I got to speak to someone and sales. She told me that she could just Note my account but I had to go to customer retention to first shut her phone off but they should be able to handle everything from there. Get to customer retention, another hour on hold and got told that we had to have the 4 digit code off the top of the bill. This is where all the arguing and hassle started. I told him that we'd already been verified. It was like pulling teeth to get them to look in my account to see this.

And when he did see the code in that I've been verified he said that code was no longer any good then it was only good for an hour and that I had to have the code off the top of the bill. As my anger increased he decided to hang me off to a senior supervisor who was no more help then the representative but I've been talking too. So long story short 4 1/2 + hours on the phone and got absolutely nothing done. It is my opinion that these people are just there for a paycheck and do not care one bit about their customers. I now looking at other options for internet and telephone services! I would never recommend doing business with these people to anyone!

Original review: April 2, 2020

I realize I don't have the Silver or Gold Package as I did previously, but the package I do have doesn't amount to much. Lifetime (41) has the same sitcom all day long....King Of Queens is on day and night. No point in contacting Spectrum/Charter as they don't give a hoot what their customers think! Time to move on!! I'm sure in July/August they will again raise my rate....I would not recommend them!!

Charter Communications author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1993, Charter became a Fortune 500 company in 2001 and serves more than 6 million customers nationwide. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri.

• Tiered bundle pricing: Consumers can add extra channels to their package, as desired, with three tiered options along with bundled Internet and telephone service. Plans range from 125 to more than 200 channels.

• Fiber available: Customers in select areas can use fiber connections for extra high-speed Internet.

• No contracts: Consumers are not required to sign a contract for the company's bundled services, and they can stop using the service at any time.

• Free HD: Customers receive access to more than 200 HD channels for free.

• Large volume of on-demand programming: Charter offers a high volume of on-demand content, with more than 10,000 titles.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team