1.25/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Discover the right cable & satellite TV provider for you
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Charter Communications

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 12, 2017

2118 Charter Communications Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Spectrum charges me constantly. It honestly seems like I get billed twice a month. Service is very slow. Cable constantly going out. Internet constantly going out. The price keeps rising and rising. When you call customer service they don't care and are nasty at best. I cancelled this service. Horrible company.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I used to think Time Warner had to be the biggest ripoff cable company out there... until Spectrum bought them out. Now internet drops constantly. I've been home from work for 20 minutes and I kid you not my internet has dropped 3 times already! It's getting out of hand and I just have to wonder how these kinds of places are allowed sell such bad service. Unfortunately I live in an area where this crappy company is my only option for high speed internet, ** Spectrum.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Money back guarantee is a bunch of baloney. Was promised new customer rate of 44.99 for internet only... It's actually 69.99 after canceling cable... After 3 weeks of phone calls and wasted time, I'm completely and utterly over SPECTRUM. Let's not mention the installer. He didn't hook up one tv, he left my crawl space door open, left his tools and screws in my driveway, NEVER would I recommend Spectrum to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

Brighthouse, Spectrum, Charter whatever name they go under are liars. I got raises after I switch to Spectrum. Service was worse. They just did an update Cable flashed, was out for 3 hours with an Update. Turned on my Tv. Would not go on. Had to get my old tv to turn on the cable. Called Spectrum. Rude vile customer service. Turned them into the FCC.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Charter constantly has problems with picture quality (not my tv as it is a year old), sound interruption and channel disruption. It may rain everywhere but the sun causes them problem!! Also my phone is constantly going out as well as internet.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charter Communications?

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Around 3 am - 4 am on a Monday morning and then again around 12 am on Tuesday morning, a Charter representative was trimming branches right outside of our bedroom window. It not only woke me up but it also woke up our toddler both nights. After going out to speak to him in the middle of the night to come back to work during the day so we could sleep, the representative said these were maintenance hours and continued to do his work. He then also left all of the debris there after he was finished over an hour later. This type of behavior is absolutely unacceptable and Charter should be ashamed of their awful business practices and customer relations.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Overall we like Charter and their customer service but dislike the cost of the service. Also, the on demand does not always work. If I can find another service as good for less money I would consider it.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Should be criminal the way they treated me. Signed up for silver package with other options -- came to install during move -- didn't catch that they ran a black cable down the front of my house... Looked horrible. When I saw it they did everything they could to get out of fixing... And told me I'd have to pay to fix. Bottomline -- customer service lied, company unethical, dispatch lied, and sales will say anything to get your business. I finally agreed to pay to fix -- as I couldn't waste any more time -- Spectrum no showed appointments and when they did show --sent some other company -- Capital, sub, who refused to fix but agreed it was a bad install.

Really? I think this company is going out of business soon because they are just unethical. I tried to send a picture of the problem and two or three parties with Spectrum said they can't receive emails. It's like they don't want to know the problem so they cannot be culpable. I call that an integrity issue. If you want the runaround, bad service (my internet wouldn't stay connected) and cable went out intermittent -- and a bad install -- well this is your company... I'd say it is fraudulent inducement...

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

When I subscribe to Spectrum/Time Warner told would get speed 100 and only get 20 to 25. They have sent two tech and of course they said I needed something added. My computer would hand up to 150 but went ahead and had a 5G installed and PC checked. Second I needed a wi-fi extender only 23 feet away from router. Talked with techs on phone, only get router reset and send out tech. Total additional cost $210.87, cannot afford to keep calling. Looking to break up packages with best price per piece and give what they promise.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

The expense is way too high. Programming is full what I call filler shows, just to take up TV time. Looking for alternative ways to cut cost for television. The streaming choices are looking very good at bill time.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

TV service: has limited streaming, has frequent breakdowns which requires calling them to rectify the problem. Phone service: no problem. Internet service: reliable.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Charter or I should say Spectrum have the worstest wifi ever for what people are paying for and getting ripped off, know I know why they been sued, will never choose this ** company anymore. This company has been sued before for lying to customers about giving good GB, what freaking liars they are??? They will never get any of my money anymore.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

When I first found out Time Warner was changing to Spectrum I was optimistic. I initially addressed my concerns about the tactics used by the majority of the vultures in this industry and how they are charges onto your Bill and justify it by wording it in a way that they hope you won't dispute. They told me my bill would be $120 each month but when I got my bill it was $196 and they told me it was a one time installation charge. I then told them installation was free in your ad. They then told me and this is my favorite line of bs that we charge in 2 month in crime which makes absolutely no sense at all because then my bill would be $260.

When I first called I only wanted internet and cable and they told me it would be cheaper to include a home phone and that it would more than $120 to have cable and internet which makes absolutely no sense at all. This is the only bill I don't have on autopay because I have no trust at all in Spectrum. I tried to be optimistic about the Spectrum merge and hope and pray they would be honest, but it's very clear now they use the same greedy vulture tactics that the previous company used. They picked up where Time Warner left off. Don't trust Spectrum cable. They are not a trustworthy business In any way shape or form.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

Charter charges way too much for what we get in return. Most of the stations they offer don't have anything worth watching. BUT, I hear the others are worse because if it snows you don't get any tv.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I only use Spectrum for internet. As an internet provider they give great speed for a reasonable price 60 plus per second without interruption for $25 a month.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

The only thing worse than Charter Spectrum TV service is being locked in a box without light, food or water. This company has go to have the worst programming management and technology management people they could find on the planet. The integrated technology services are NOT integrated and do not work well together. The service provider publication of services is not properly broadcast to partner services (like HBO and Showtime) to coordinate services on mobile devices. I'm going to have to go back to DISH or do something different because this service (after spending 20+ years with other providers) is simply HORRIBLE and NOTHING and NO-ONE on their team can prove otherwise, and they don't try.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Always having issue with cable, internet, and home phone. Can't get to it to work right and get tired of having to call Charter and getting a automatic phone person because they make it so difficult to speak to a live person with all their crap. I don't need to make a payment. Just let me speak to a live person.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

The service for trouble is wonderful. Call the support dept on a Saturday night, date July 15th 2017 at 9:00 pm. Spectrum sent a tech the next day at 1:00 on a Sunday afternoon! The support team try many times to reboot that night! Thank you!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Customer support fragmented. Cannot get consistent answer or action. You can have 3 or 4 different reps agree on something, but when acted on the opposite happens. Also they trick you into services you don't want or need.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Charter/Spectrum is a pretty good company. They get to you pretty quick when it comes to installing. The channel selection is good even though I upped to the next package because I wanted one particular channel but also got HBO and another movie channel which we watch quite often. So we are happy with them.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

They overcharge and they suck. They have so many problems with their equipment and no matter how many times I call them they never seem to really get it fixed. I don't like them and we seriously need a new cable company.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Our wireless speed is incredibly variable, 7pm 46, 8pm 9, 5:3. They say it is because we use wireless but in this day and age, who doesn't? We almost signed up with DirecTV but are hesitant because the sales pitch was over the top aggressive. Decided to step back and see if we can get more information on how to get reliable TV service. Would love to get a report.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

For the second time during the first week of October, I called Spectrum to find out if the Spectrum engineers or the "third party" engineers had an idea as to when the on-demand system would be operational with the new and returning fall programs. I was told the first time that nobody yet had an idea on repair time. The customer service representative on the second call was quick to tell me that on-demand was a free service which was designed to let me know there would be no bill adjustment. However, he could not tell me when the problem might be solved. I suggested that I maybe should call corporate. The guy became enraged and accused me of being a terrorist who was threatening corporate. I said in the U.S. of A. a complaint was a guaranteed right and not an act of terrorism. What kind of training are these people receiving?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Selection is terrible, to get anything worth watching you have to upgrade your plan. I have about 700 channels of which we watch routinely about 5-10. No incentives for long time customers, only new customers. I pay about 185 per months for those 5-10 channels plus internet. Can't have Dish where I live so they really are the only game in town for me. They raise their rates annually and provide a few more channels, none of which I watch. I also resent channels that are basically half hour advertisements.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

It's what you expect from cable. Somewhat reliable service but with the catch of near constant increases to the cost and a continual decrease to channels offered. In the last year alone we have lost three channels from our plan. I have no need for all the religious networks either yet when Charter reduces the channel selection these (religious) never get touched. But at least I continue to get AMC and Turner Classics.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

We called Sept 20, 2017 to cancel our service because the rates kept climbing and we got very few channels. The girl on the phone tried every sales pitch she had to "save our business" after we had already gone with another company. Told her we had inquired about the sales deals Spectrum kept mailing us but she said that was for new customers. In July they told us the lowest price for basic cable and internet would be $158. No thanks. As a matter of fact, I told them then that we were shopping around for different services available.

When I called 9:35 am on Sept 20th to cancel the girl would NOT listen to me the customer telling her the service sucked and the rates were too outrageous. Finally asked her to just cancel it. Planned to take boxes back on my next day off but had to take my car to the shop. Yesterday I got a new bill in the mail and they NEVER canceled the account. Now they wanted $310. Seriously, these people fail to do their jobs. I called back and Jade said she had NO records showing any cancellations on the acct. I asked for her stupidvisor but she left me on hold indefinitely. Which means this company hired a bunch of scammers and untrained clerks.

I ended up canceling with Terry out of Texas (super nice) and returned the boxes. He gave me a work order number. When you cancel be sure to get a work order number. And get names. That way you can track the changes to your acct. I was transferred to a Nick from Terry in Texas and he was just about as rude as Jade was. (Nick tried to get me to stay with their crappy service... be prepared for more sales pitches.)

All in all, make sure that you shop around and the minute service sucks, cancel. Get work order number and return boxes. Whoever didn't cancel it got 2 more weeks of service fees out of me. I wish Spectrum the best of luck because it looks like the old owners of Time Warner ditched out of this downward spiral of poor service before it was too late. Everyone I know is canceling and going elsewhere. I see plenty of people on the unemployment line like Nick and Jade.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I switched from DirecTV to Spectrum hoping to save money last 3 months ago. The first 2 statements were the amount I expected and budgeted for. Then the 3rd statement came and there has been an increase some charges. If you are thinking of switching to Spectrum, make sure that there will be no increase on the rates you originally signed up for. I'm not happy with Spectrum!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

They are expensive and their packages are limited so it is cheaper to stream and get more channels. There are too many tiers of channels and prices tend to rise the longer you are with them.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

After Charter bought out Bright House we saw problems with how they handle changing of services, such as taking off a phone line that wasn't being used, since they seem to put things into tiers and packages. This extends to how they have their channels set up, we lost about four channels simply because they decided to add them to a different tier, a tier which wouldn't have the same channels we have now, or had before. So if we wanted them back, we'd have to pay more and add channels we don't want. So we have a handful less channels for the same price as when we had Bright House.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Charter does not care about customers. I have been a TWC internet customer for years, we recently moved so I was told I could switch to the new Spectrum and be a new customer (better price), then I was sold on upgrading to TV. I was getting the new customer deal, recently had issues with my cable card so I canceled the TV, after numerous hours on phone with everyone that might be able to help, no help was given to fix my problem. Now I am getting charged the full price for internet and no longer qualify for the new customer price even though there is still 9 months left on the 1 yr deal I got.

Charter Communications expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1993, Charter became a Fortune 500 company in 2001 and serves more than 6 million customers nationwide. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri.

• Tiered bundle pricing: Consumers can add extra channels to their package, as desired, with three tiered options along with bundled Internet and telephone service. Plans range from 125 to more than 200 channels.
    • Fiber available: Customers in select areas can use fiber connections for extra high-speed Internet.
    • No contracts: Consumers are not required to sign a contract for the company's bundled services, and they can stop using the service at any time.
    • Free HD: Customers receive access to more than 200 HD channels for free.
    • Large volume of on-demand programming: Charter offers a high volume of on-demand content, with more than 10,000 titles.
    • Best for: Television fans who watch a range of programs, households on a budget and customers with special interests.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs