Charter Communications

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Brighthouse sent me a bill in October telling me my bill would be going up $20 a month because the current promotion I was on was ending. I called them and they were able to find me a new promotion because I was a long time customer. This would keep me at the rate I was currently paying. Then Spectrum came in. My bill went up $20 and after calling them to find out why since they said for one year, they will keep all Brighthouse customers at the rate they were currently paying, they said I had two promotions and the Loyalty program I was also under was no longer available because - They NO LONGER HAVE A LOYALTY DEPARTMENT!

Can you believe this? I could get a better deal if I drop Brighthouse and then sign up as a new customer with Spectrum on one of their new customer deals. However, as soon as the year is up on these deals, you will receive a HUGE increase! They do not care about loyalty or customer retention! You are nothing to them so the best bet is to go to Verizon on one of their promotions and then after a year go to Spectrum on one of their promotions. Forget staying longer than one year because you will be treated like the piece of ** they think you are.

When I first called in to inquire about getting faster internet speed they told me it my bill would drop 7.00. I was like, "Great." I asked, "Will the remainder of my services stay the same and not change?" When the installer was here he share the phone was down and it will be back up in an hour. I called in to Tech Support about 90 minutes later and I was told my phone was not included or my TV.

I spent 90 minutes going round and around with them. I asked to be switched back and they refused. I went without a phone for 3 days because of their salesperson. I called about a billing question. The sales rep told me my bill was 145 prior and now I am paying 84. Note I was paying 56 as my community gives us free basic cable. The reps are not as friendly nor willing to help. It takes 3 people to make a simple order. REALLY!!! They do not hold true to their promises of money back guarantee as I asked within 90 minutes of the install and 90 on phone. I suggest contact your local media.

I called customer service and it sounds like a telemarketing company, noisy in the background, people haggling over prices like at a bazaar out in Timbuktu, not like I am used to with Bright house, Time Warner, Vision Cable and so on. My dilemma is I called because I use to be able to watch tv on my laptop, iPad, and cell phone and the channels in my living room are no longer available in bedroom.

I called customer service and waited over 15 mins for a rep and was told not only could I not have the new promotions, but the services I have now will not all function as before. No warning, no heads up, and I was in contract with brighthouse technically for 8 or more months. So in reality they broke their contract with me. But I am sure in the fine print that is not for the human eye in this time of any American's life - they have the upper hand! I am considering if I could find out how to get just phone and Internet to ban cable and watch Netflix, Amazon, DVDs, and go back to listen to PBS/the internet for my news and world events. Now for my grandkids who live with me, they would have to adjust but all in all it would be much healthier for them to do the same. I don't know how this company will change for the better and can't imagine who they spearheaded this new concept with, especially concerning active customers. I am shocked and dismayed.

Okay ever since I got Cable from Charter I have nothing but problems. I have called about my cable box shutting off at random time during the day. I have called and they reset the box and again it still resets and I have called and they sent techs out and they tell me that it is a software issue. Well weeks later it still resets itself. I just had a tech come and tells me that it is a review configuration issue and they have to change the code so I called to see if they can change the code. They said no they can't because it is an ongoing issue. It takes time. I have had Charter for about 4 months and I had nothing but problems - no cares about the customer. If it does not get fixed I will go back to Dish. Everyone I that has Charter does not have the problems like I do. They keep lie to me because they just don't want to fix the problem. This is the worst mistake I have done.

Had a party for the UFC Fights that included 15 friends. The fights would not come in, they were very pixelated. 4 calls to charter and no solution. I made the mistake of telling the representative that the television in my bedroom had no problem but that neither of my other televisions were getting the fights to where we could actually watch them due to the poor quality of the picture. Upon receiving my bill I called to complain. I was told that since the television in my room was working and since the fights were available to me for 24 hours there would be no discount to my bill.

Seriously I'm supposed to have a house full of people in my bedroom to watch UFC fights on my smallest television. Or maybe I should have had another party within 24hrs so we could hopefully get better service and watch fights that we already knew the results to. They cannot see fit work with me on the $65.00 fee after they ruined the entire evening. I pay over $200.00 a month for their service and they cannot do the right thing. I can see why they have such horrible reviews. I am open to thoughts on service replacement. I have never had anything else but I'm looking to give my business to a company that will appreciate it. Any help would be appreciated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charter Communications?

I have called twice since Bright House turned over to Spectrum. I wanted to talk to customer service. Both times I got a recording telling me they're too busy to call back later! I called several times during the day to get the same answering machine. I would think at least They'd have you leave a message and they would call you back. For the price I pay a month I should get much better service than that! Unbelievable.

First field service installer (lazy cannot describe him) broke my main TV, did not install two of my three TVs, just simply set the receiver next to the TV, ran a cable through our basement that was not even attached to anything so was hanging on wall picture frames and such, installed the modem inside my entertainment center so no access to it and didn't supply a wifi router, phone didn't work, sales rep told us we would have specific channels when indeed we did not!

Second rep (lazy) reluctantly relocated the modem to our business room, drilled a hole in the floor two feet away from the modem thus exposing the cable in an unsightly view, did NOT hook up the other two TV receivers. Third rep nice guy. I told him, "hey don't bother with anything other than relocating this silly cable drilled through the floor. If Charter doesn't fix my TV then I will drop this service." Claims Dept - they denied my claim for my broken TV twice so I dropped their service.

Decided to keep their internet even though it's now jacked up to $59! Their router is horribly limited with distance!!! Going to buy my own! Going with Roku and Sling TV. I am soooo tired of these companies - what a total rip off! Oh by the way, my final bill is much higher than expected. I've filed a complaint with the BBB yet apparently Charter doesn't care. Charter has the one of the worst business practices.

Charter has the poorest customer service I have ever seen in any company. I only wanted internet when my ex moved out and they started billing me immediately but I had no internet for a week and to get that service involved about 6 phone calls where not one person could really help and they said they would delete his email and phone number and replace it with mine yet it is almost 2 weeks and they can't help me because everything is still under his name. I finally got service when 2 nice gentlemen did come directly to the house and Charter had given me the wrong modem plus the wiring needed to be redone. Now I already get a bill to my ex's email for internet service I hadn't had. I tried to call today and they tell me I have no service under my phone number that I have already given to about 6 Charter phone helpers. Run like hell from this business as I have never seen such poor service!

Our internet went out over the holiday weekend. We called Time Warner/Spectrum (just changed to Spectrum). Two service personnel came out. Their exact words were, "Since the change over from Time Warner to Spectrum, they wanted people to switch to their new Spectrum Modems. So, instead of mailing people or contacting them of the upgrades, they just decided to put customers' modems to sleep, forcing them to call." That statement came AFTER we contacted Spectrum on the phone and Spectrum tried to upsell us on new equipment. Since we are tech savvy, we insisted it wasn't our equipment (referring to our external routers) but their equipment, specifically their modem.

So, looking at the situation, we were appalled to realize that they tried to upsell us on new equipment when they very well knew the outage was because of their forced updates. Moreover, the tech continued to say that Spectrum chose not to properly notify customers of the pending outage because it was simply cheaper to force the updates with service calls AFTER the modems were turned off WITHOUT notification. So, we received no notification of upcoming, planned outage, placing our daily business in harm. Our service continues to be spotty, after a new modem was put in. We feel the corporation commission as well as other governing entities should be involved in order to investigate this behavior by Time Warner/Spectrum.

I am currently on hold with this shell of a company as I write this review, which is an indication of how long I've been on hold. Since Spectrum has been bought out Spectrum I'm forced to deal with them to pay my bill. I've been trying to do that for the past FIFTY MINUTES. Customer service is the worst I've seen in any company lately. Not impressed.

Updated on 11/27/2016: 2nd phone call, 2nd review. Since I'm forced to be on hold for more than 20 minutes for the 2nd time today, I decided to write another review. After speaking with a customer service rep, for whom I waited to come on the line for nearly 50 minutes, the rep told me their cheapest cable/internet package was $179. I reluctantly agreed after clarifying with him that the package did not included phone service because I specifically stated to the rep that I did not need nor want phone service. He continued by saying that was the cheapest. After posting the ridiculous monthly rate on FB, someone commented that they were quoted a cheaper rate. So I called back. Needless to say, he quoted me the rate with phone service. The new rep then transferred me to the department who can fix it and I'm still holding. It's been 29:02. If you plan on calling, block off a day and record the call. The image below verified my hold time.

Was contacted by Spectrum. Told we needed to turn in one of our boxes. Told it had more channels for less money. After getting home and turning it on list channels in the ones that you watch your add-ons then went to the other room that record my shows everything is gone. So now they have to come out here and I'm sure that's going to be jacked up to you said there's nothing they can do about it. It's the new Spectrum Way I call BS. You don't keep people with your company for over 20-something years by jacking the price up and giving less. Definitely dumping them. Totally unfair. They think they have the market covered but they don't! Grrrrr. So angry that this isn't against the law.

If I could call to give a 0 star rating, I would! I called Spectrum to see if I was eligible for a promotion after receiving a notice in the mail about the new services and promotions. I was told that for $5 less, I could get the same service. I agreed. What I just found out was, the rep removed my VM service to lower my monthly payment and called it a promotion. Stated in her notes that I claimed that I really don't use my voicemail service. I never said that! I had no idea this was done, because I was out of town. When I did call to get my messages, my phone just rang & rang.

When I called Spectrum to find out why my voicemail didn't pick up, I was told it was because I asked Spectrum to remove my VM service. What? There were two very important messages I was saving and they are both gone and I cannot get them back! Spectrum offered me 6 months free VM service for their mistake, but that won't bring back my messages, which I need due to a work related project. I know two other people right now who are having other problems with Spectrum's service! TERRIBLE SERVICE. I will cancel!

In Oregon, my Comcast DVR options include "auto-extend" for all sports events, which works however many overtimes occur. The current Spectrum controls allow only a manual extend, where you have to guess what might happen, or overextend it so far that you create conflicts on the limit of simultaneous recordings. And recently, even the manual extend hasn't been working. Today I set my recording of the Michigan-Ohio State game for an extra hour, but my recording stopped with 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Terrible service.

My call was less than pleasant with Charter. I had internet service set up in my apartment. The tech was too lazy, in his words by the way, to hook up a second line to give me my own service. So he connected it to the neighbors line (So most likely they are charging double for the same internet service...pretty sure that's illegal). But the problem I have is after calling to have the problem fixed. I was treated as if I am a second rate human being!!! I spoke to Jerry the Manager who even had the nerve when he misunderstood what I was saying, as me saying he wasn't helpful because the color of his skin!!

First of all ** (Jerry) it was a ** PHONE CALL. I CAN'T SEE YOUR SKIN COLOR!!! NOT THAT IT WOULD MATTER IF YOU WERE ** PINK. YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS SUCK!!! You guys need to work on ** employees like Jerry employee ID # **. This man is disrespectful and no help. Please review our phone call!!! I would fire your ass the moment I heard how bad you suck at your job... If I could give Charter a zero for your performance I would!!!

I need to call Charter (Spectrum) customer service almost weekly due to poor internet service. Several times they tell me there is an outage or they are updating their service. Sometimes they claim it is my equipment that worked properly the day before and will again tomorrow once they get things worked out on their side. They have a performance survey at the end of each call. I have noticed that if the call does not go well for them they will not disconnect their end of the call, to send you to the survey, hoping that you will disconnect and not provide performance feedback. I want their management to know when the CSR argues, etc. with the customers so I mute and play the waiting game if I can. The mgmt needs a feedback measure that tells how much silence is at the end of each call before the CSR disconnects.

Terrible Customer Service. No one tells you the same story. I talked to 7 people tonight. 2 of whom were Supervisors Cameron and Jim and I get different stories about my service issues. They tried to sell me more expensive plans to get the service I had and when it just stopped working and no one could tell me why and just restore what I had. I have had past billing issues too. I am so frustrated I just told them "I am done. Cut the service, I will try another provider." So frustrating, unbelievable treatment. Stay away from Charter.

They installed all new cable in our house. Tech said when he plugged their cable box in our outlet he saw a spark, smelt smoke. He began to tell me that my outlet had an open ground. My reply to him was "Therefore something has to touch in the wrong fashion or be placed in the wrong device for an open ground to be at fault." They sent their supervisor out to take pictures. This gentleman used my multi meter and tools because he did not have a meter with him, only a digital volt range finder. My equipment worked before they got here and now my equipment does not. He also said this was the first time he had ever seen a case like this. My issue is this: HOW CAN YOU COMPLETE YOUR REVIEW OF THIS SITUATION AND MAKE A HONEST STATEMENT TO YOUR CLAIMS DEPARTMENT WHEN YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS? Long story short lol I was declined help. Told the problem was on end.

TWC jacked our bill from $90 introductory fee to $160, now to $230 (plus $30 in "taxes and fees" on top of that). They care NOTHING about their customers -- especially long-standing, loyal customers of almost 15 years -- and are only interested in skimming everyone for more money because THEY CAN, they hold the monopoly in our city. One technician turned off our cable from the garage because there was a red dot next to our apartment cable. He didn't call to check with anyone, our bill was paid up, and it took four days for them to come out and flip the switch back on. And of course, they didn't offer any type of discount for their error.

And just when you think TWC was bad, YES, SPECTRUM IS WORSE!!! Since they changed over my cable has been paused and skewed, including DVR'd shows, until I have to change the channel. My Internet and phone have been down consistently EVERY SINGLE DAY for the last month, sometimes for eight hours at a time. I don't have a cell phone so when my Internet is down, so is my phone! I work from home and have lost countless business when I can't email to my clients, nor call them to explain. By the way, my clients' businesses also say "SPECTRUM IS THE WORST."

I'm praying that the DISH technician coming tomorrow can find a way to mount a dish on our west-facing balcony (can't be on the roof or attached to the building), then I'll have a party when canceling Spectrum, maybe even play "Ding-Dong! The Witch is Dead." If they can pull it off, I'll tell every single person in a west-facing apartment exactly who to call to escape Spectrum.

In all fairness, the TWC install technicians have always been very professional, friendly, and knowledgeable. That's to be commended. Some of the customer service reps when you call in are very friendly and knowledgeable, but most don't know what they're doing and after you spend an hour on the line with them, you end up calling back and telling the entire story to another rep. They completely waste your time, provide the crappiest service on earth, and provide no compensation as a result of their own errors. Their business practices need to be investigated by the FCC, it's extortion at a minimum.

I had been on Time Warner Cable for almost a year when they announced they were converting to Spectrum. I received a mailer advertising lower prices with the Spectrum plans, so I called to see what deals they had. I was paying $52 total for internet only. I was told in order to qualify for any specials, I had to be a new customer and that I could become a "new customer" by adding tv and voice services to my account. I did not want to increase my price, but was considering adding TV so decided to try it. If I didn't like it, I could cancel the package within 30 days at no risk and would still be eligible for the $39.99 internet only option. The TV service was horrible. I had nothing but trouble from the moment it was installed. Now it's time to cancel and I'm getting the runaround.

The last rep I spoke with confessed the salesperson lied to me and I would not be eligible for the $39.99 internet rate after canceling the other two services. My only option is $59.99 now. Of course I'm irate and demand to speak with a manager. I'm now on hour #4 of waiting for a manager to call me back and was promised it would only be 2. I even attempted to call back to find out if they forgot about me and was told a two hour time frame is not reasonable with the number of customers they're handling and I needed to just wait. Nothing but lies and shady practices from this company! If I had ANY OTHER OPTION AT ALL for internet, I would switch immediately.

Ruined my day off and Lied to me over the phone. All I can say is I loved Bright house and Spectrum purchased them. My 1st experience with Spectrum on the phone was just horrible. I will be looking for another provider. Be very careful as what they tell you vs what they actually do is 2 very different things.

My bills DO NOT COME IN ENGLISH!!! I have tried to call and every rep I talk to does not speak English! I live in California!!! This is a joke... I am cancelling my service for the SECOND TIME. This is America... wtf

Customer service is a joke. They have issues providing the services that you pay for and when it is brought to their attention they say they don't care. Services come and go, after 1 to 2 years they jack up the rates. The Roku services are also a joke. The business as a whole is garbage. If you don't care about the customers you have you will eventually be without them very shortly.

Ugh, if I had any other option here in WY I'd jump on it! Slow, inconsistent Internet access. Call Customer Service, and it is not a problem on their end. Right, I just happen to have lousy, slow speed every AM and evening at the same time because of something here in the house. And now it pretty much sucks 24 hours a day. Gee, could it be their outdated wiring?

Miss Time Warner Cable! The Spectrum service is terrible. Overcharged!!!! Increased the rate without notice and they won't let you adjust the plan; bad customer service. When you talk to the Rep. they are not try to help you and no patience at all... Such a bad experience with this company!

I called this company charter or Spectrum as they say now and try to change my package because the initial price that Charter gave me was under $100 but when I received my bill it was $155. Whenever you talk to customer service all they want you to do is go to a higher package. When you ask for a manager they will transfer you to the person sitting beside them and if you're lucky enough which I did on one occasion after asking 5 times to talk to him the manager only transferred me back to customer service and this was the retention department. I would not recommend this company to anyone and I am not throwing a rock and hiding my hands. I asked if a manager could call me back. I even had one customer service representative to hang up in my face.

They act really nice and sweet when you're trying to get service from them. But when you realize your bill is much higher than they told you from the beginning they are very rude and they will not change your package. I even had one customer service representative to just tell me they were going to disconnect my service. We in Selma Alabama need another cable company to compete with Spectrum. Spectrum is full of ** and I am not the only one that feels this way. You can talk to mostly anyone in Selma Alabama and they will tell you the same thing.

I do not know if they gave me the right I did but the manager that I spoke with told me his ID was him. The representative that hung up in my face ID is **. I even told the manager that I spoke with about the representative that hung up and at first he only apologized and when I asked him what was going to be done about it he could not give me an answer. Once I asked the second time he told me that it would probably be some type of disciplinary action taken. But the point is I was trying to get my bill lowered. They refused to help me in that way and only told me that I could upgrade to a package that cost more money. This is not customer service at all.

On August 17, 2016, our Cable internet service went defunct. I was forced to purchase a new router and extender (due to home size) to accommodate our computers, iPad and other internet products. After a week of conversations with Charter we were able to resume internet service. However, problems continued. On August 29 all Charter service was interrupted. I used my cell phone to contact Melissa who indicated only 44% of area residents were receiving a satisfactory signal. She indicated Charter would call back when the outage was resolved and service would be improved. It is now November – I AM STILL WAITING FOR A CONTACT.

Unfortunately, your service has not performed adequately since that time and ongoing. I have tracked the number of times we have lost internet service since that time and have developed a spreadsheet with those details. I am extremely disappointed because as retired senior citizens, we probably are involved with technology in our home at length on a daily basis and are constantly having issues with service.

As we are leaving summer home for our winter home, my husband requested our service be put on Vacation Mode. It seems because it is less than a year since we last did this, the disconnect cannot be done until December. This is very unsatisfactory. I do not wish to spend nearly $200 for the next month for service I am not receiving. I know when we return to our summer home we will require a service call from Charter to reset our equipment as this has happened for the past 3 years. The service rep who arrives tries everything to resolve our issues but they continue.

Overcharged for installation. Billed one month in advance so my first bill is 255?!!! Plus, we have a second house we're stuck in for two more months, had no choice but to also go with Spectrum there as well, because no one else (DISH, etc.) is allowed to service this area. They got me twice with that bill too. Half the time the DVR service doesn't work. They tell me to unplug the box and wait 15 seconds then plug it back in. WTH? I'm going with the Firebox and a good antenna. Can't wait to pull the plug on both houses!!! DON'T GET SPECTRUM CHARTER CABLE IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO.

My rates went up just like everyone else. When I called to lower my internet package/speed, they said they no longer offer basic internet, only extreme and that my bill would double over the next few months. I told the rep that I could not afford that increase and asked to have my internet cancelled at the end of my current billing cycle. He challenged me to find internet at a lower price - could care less about losing a customer.

After we got off the phone I walked back over to my computer. Guess what, no internet! I called back and a woman said it shut off today. I told her someone there made a mistake, and that I needed it on. I paid for it, right? Through their wonderful advance billing. :/ She said that they could turn it back on, but to do so I would need to upgrade to the next package. Ridiculous! Would not let me talk to a supervisor. Then put me on hold and came back saying they would give me basic for the remainder of the month, free of charge. I was satisfied with that.

Then the end of month came and guess what, I got a bill, for double. I switched to a much better company, with a better price too. The speed is quite lower, but I think it's time to make some lifestyle adjustments as well. We will be dropping Netflix. Yes, dropping Netflix! It's time to take a break. With our new decreased speed, it's sort of nice that it doesn't allow for each member of our family to be on the computer, streaming a movie, plus each kid on a device at once. Time to knock it off with that nonsense. Thank you Spectrum, for being so greedy for money and helping me to make a better choice for my family! You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done. Genesis 50:20

Constant outages, don't give them your money. It never fails, especially at night, it will lag for large portions of time or completely go out. Find anything else. Hell move somewhere else if Charter is the only thing available.

I called Spectrum on 10/26/16 to find out why my bill jumped to 185. Talked to Fred the Mgr who explained all my promotions expired. Gave me a spectrum pkg that was cheaper and I even took HBO & SHOWTIME off. I Was quoted 147. including tax. I repeated to Fred "I only lose HBO & SHOW correct." He said "yes." I switched over. Called 10/27 because some of my channels were missing. The girl I spoke with said Fred didn't check all the boxes but it is 147 with tax. I called on my bill on 10/30 to make sure and it says 176. I spoke to Dani the supervisor and she said Fred lied to me and she was telling me my bill is 176. Guess I'm canceling cable. No one has the correct pricing there. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers