Charter Communications

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers

Research top Cable & Satellite TV Providers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Internet service is currently provided by Time Warner Cable which has been acquired by Charter Spectrum. I have had this service for only 3 weeks and everyday I lose service. Some days I lose it repeatedly within an hour. Customer service is excellent but the service isn't. Apparently I was told by a technician that I experience "connection drops" because I receive too much service and at tops not enough service which makes my modem crash (reset). He did the work on Wednesday and I must admit the service worked flawless Thursday and Friday. Here we are today (Saturday) and I'm back to having connection drops again. 4x already within the last two hours.

One persons experience isn't the same for everyone (i.e.: Frontier has horrible reviews/ratings but I actually had good service and never experienced issues with them) but it is safe to say that the negative reviews/ratings for Charter are true especially since the majority of complaints are actually about their product and not billing or customer service. Stay away if you can.

Also, the tech tried to explain to me that I may experience issues because apparently my service comes from a central location at the street that services 3 other homes. So basically I'm sharing a service line with other people. Combine that with Charters service (or lack of service to be precise) and you can understand why I'm furious. I will be cutting off their service immediately (if it doesn't cut itself off first). Horrible product.

I called Spectrum to inquire about my bill which kept increasing without my understanding and the Customer Service Rep who took my call was not only unprofessional, but also condescending and rude. He neither took the time to listen nor help with my question. He raised his voice on me and offered nothing but disrespect and attitude. I greatly regret not writing down his name!!! I'm a loyal customer and I did not deserve such rude treatment. An employee like should NOT be in Customer Service.

Customers beware when ending service with Charter. They will not tell you that they deactivate your online account in their system. Need to make a final payment? Want to do it online? Well... You can't... Because they deactivate your account. You're then required to make the payment over the phone or drive to one of their locations to make the payment. What if you want some of your old statements? Well... You cannot access them online, so Charter provides the option of sending you copies... For a fee. Can they reactivate your account? No, you're SOL. Do they retain your old service history? From the conversation I had with a couple Charter customer service representatives it sounds like they do; but if you want access to it you're going to end up paying for it. I find this to be completely unacceptable business practice.

This company is awful. The customer service is horrible and they can be pretty rude. They deleted my email account after changing names and no one can help with that. Have billing issues no one will help. They have changed policies and have not informed customers of anything.

Well, for starters I have not once received a bill for my account. My service was turned off so I called to pay. When I called the lady I spoke with told me I had canceled my TV services which isn't true because I have NEVER had cable. Then she told me my bill was almost $300... for missing two months payments when my payments for wifi were only $40/month. She couldn't give me a run down of why my bill was so expensive (not to mention she was SUPER rude to me when I was more than polite to her) so I had to call customer service.

After going through loops with customer service they tell me that my bill had gone up an extra $60 a month that I had NO CLUE about because NO ONE BOTHERED TO TELL ME. And the only way I can get my service back on is by paying the full $300... The guy I spoke with was completely not helpful either. That is absolutely ridiculous. $100/month for wifi is ridiculous. Completely poor customer service. If I could rate Spectrum 0 stars on here, I would. I am so angry with this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Charter Communications?

A man came to our front door yesterday, stating there had been several cable outages in the neighborhood, and wanted to come in and check our cable. Are you kidding me??? Did he expect us to say "Sure, come on in, stranger, we've never seen you before in our lives, but that's okay, we don't mind." After telling him we were not interested, at least 4 times, he finally left, leaving a business card from Charter Spectrum. Obviously, he was here to TRY to sell us cable service. It was, in the least dishonest, and at most, absolutely outrageous trickery to attempt to gain entry into our home by claiming, in essence, to be doing us a "favor" by "checking" our cable service. OUTRAGEOUS. Shame on this company for using subterfuge to sell their product.

Been with Time Warner for over 6 years using their internet service. Currently paying $50 for 15MB speeds using own modem to avoid additional charges. Since the merger with Spectrum, they are now offering 60MB speeds for $44.99 for the first year then only $59.99 after that. Catch is, it's only for NEW customers. If I go my account page and look under offers for me, they have a 50MB plan for an ADDITIONAL $50 on top of the $50 I'm already paying. Very poor business practice. Their own forums are flooded with these same types of complaints and clearly do not care for their customers, only their own greed for the green. Unfortunately for my area, the only option for high speed internet are them and Verizon DSL for the same price and even slower speeds.

So Spectrum recently took over TWC in my area. I found out this evening that they are no longer accepting payment arrangements, or post dated transactions. I came home this evening and my Internet and cable were both shut off. This being said they bill a month ahead. So I'm 1 month behind on my bill and bam I'm cut off? I've been with TWC for 10 years easily. I've always paid my promises when I needed them. Now the rules changed. They are bullies and the area I live in is a very poor area. If they think it's gonna be easy to do this to a low income area and stay in business they are so wrong.

I can honestly say if you're a customer or planning to become one, look elsewhere. They jacked my bill up from $165.00 a month to $200.00 a month, with a $25.00 late fee on top of that. Times are hard. I know I'm not the only person being bullied by this horrible company. Everyone I know that has Spectrum is completely disappointed with the change. I ended my service with them this evening and took it elsewhere myself. I'm not gonna get pushed around after 10 years of service. I signed up with another provider and will no longer ever do business with those money hungry crooks that don't care about the little guy.

If I could talk to the bigwigs that run the company, I would let them know they won't be here long if they plan on doing business the way they are. TWC was not much better as far as prices go. But at least they cared enough about the customer to work with them in times of need. Try supporting a family on $10.50 an hour, with no TV because the cable company is full of greedy crooks. I hope you're happy Spectrum, scratch another customer due to your horrible service. I guess a 1 star rating says it all.

Spectrum representative told me my rate would be changed to a lower amount by my next bill. She lied!! Next bill was NOT lowered. Spoke to 3 reps today who told me no price change was placed on my behalf. I was repeatedly told to pay the new, much higher rate or get services elsewhere. Loyal customer over 25 years to the only cable company in town. Spectrum and Trump are acting like they are in business together. Bye Spectrum. Hello to much cheaper satellite tv!!!

I have been a Time Warner Cable Customer for 3 years. I have always got world class great service until Charter came along. They have made all these changes to services that had been great. I have all 4 of their services. The first thing they did Is discontinue the ability to record from your security cameras. This was after I spent 750.00 on cameras. Worked for 2 months then here comes Charter, The recording service suddenly becomes unavailable. Then all the packages change to a one size fits all concept.

I said to me to self, same old Charter. That was the reason I had dumped Charter before in another area. Then they take a payment over the phone and don't bother to let me know there Is a 5.00 fee now to do this. Had I known I would not have made that payment. They make a big deal about would class service. Trying to do better but at the end of the day Charter Is still The poor run company It was. It's a new day alright. If you're In a Time Warner or Charter Spectrum Market stay away from them. They are a big rip off.

Since the buyout of Time Warner Cable, Spectrum as of 01-24-17 will no longer allow payment arrangements! I've been a loyal TWC customer for 12 years and we occasionally run late on payments as it's $150-180 per month and now their stance is pay when it's due get shut off?! This is a total disrespect to their customers and a general lack of competency by their executive team. I literally asked for 2 days until payday this week and I was told "Sorry, make the minimum or you will be disconnected." With millennials cutting the cord at alarming rates you would think this company would want to extend help to any customer who is still paying these outrageous monthly bills, but apparently it's just a money grab. So if I'm shut off and charged disconnection fees as well as having to pay my full balance before I can be restored guess what will happen... GOODBYE SPECTRUM.

Charter Spectrum is the worst cable company. It's still stuck in the 20th century. The DVR is so out of date, you can only record 2 shows at a time and while recording watch one of the shows that is being recorded. Lousy memory on DVR. Information on shows is never complete. Can't restart movies. No smart search. Charter Spectrum can take a lesson from comcast. Also when need help with technical issues the people on the phone sound like they're looking through a book. This is ridiculous, it's the 21st century, update your equipment Charter Spectrum.

They took over for Brighthouse and the service is poor. The website wouldn't allow me to change my email address (I got a new one) and after many attempts called. I finally got someone on the phone for 24 minute call to just change an email address. He informed me that since I didn't pay on time, I would be charged a $5 fee (I paid at the time over the phone) and he would reverse it on the next bill. Unfortunately, I do not have proof because I didn't tape record the conversation. I gave him payment for my bill over the phone. I am never late (first time but was due to problem with changing email address--they wouldn't allow it for online bill pay).

Next, I go online with my new email address and find my account charged $8.95 for late fee and stated I did not make a payment. That part was fixed but not the $8.95. 5-7 email exchange with Never the same person who would not listen and not refund me as I was promised. Very deceitful practices. I did not know of the $8.95 charge for late fee. The man told me $5.00. I didn't get anything about late fees when Spectrum took over from Brighthouse. I will pay the $8.95 since they REFUSE to honor their agreement but if another problem will investigate some other way to obtain Internet and get rid of them. No wonder there are so many complaints. So, what are you going to do about them CONSUMERAFFAIRS??? They need to be shut down. What other company has a one star? I've never seen any company with one star. What a shame. Never one problem with Brighthouse.

For 12 years I have contacted Charter to obtain service. I live on a 1 mile street which service is available on both ends. The nearest connecting port is approximately 800 feet which they are unwilling to do unless I pay $4,500.00 for them to run the service. There was a time that this company would beg for your service and would run it in the middle of the desert to get it to you. If I was of importance, Gov. official, Police Officer, Fireman, etc. I would have no problem. This just goes to show you how unimportant you are as a consumer and unless you have a title.

I own this home and plan to live here for the rest of my life and would love to have cable tv, internet, phone service. Unfortunately I am stuck with no internet service (currently have Verizon wifi-expensive) and unable to get high speed service with AT&T (no ports available). Just dial-up (cave man era). I might as well have bought property on a deserted Island. The days of being a important company consumer just does not exists anymore. Just big brother watching out for their selves giving you less and charging you more and providing even worst service, and uncaring customer service from a Rep. up to the Executive level. Wish all of you were in my position just to show you what it's like to do without.

My cable bill is due the 7th of the month. On the 4th everything got shut off. After being in hold with customer service for half an hour I finally got through to someone who told me that this was a temporary disconnection to make sure I knew my bill was due in 3 days. Then proceed to tell me they cannot turn it on until the payment is received. I told them I've never been passed due on the bill and they just told me there is nothing they can do. I've never heard of a company that disconnects your service 3 days prior to the due date. Completely unacceptable. This company seems likes it's the mean kid on the ant hill with a magnifying glass. I will be returning all the equipment and going with U-verse.

I have been TWC's customer for about 20 years. I paid about $137 (with taxes) monthly on my last contract for Triple Play service which will expire early March 2017. I called TWC 1/3/2017 to see if there's any promotion. To my disappointment, the customer rep told me that the cheapest rate for me would be around $160 (with taxes). I told him that I'm a senior who lives on a limited income, I could not afford to pay that price. After talking about 15 min, he recommended me to speak to Spectrum. He believe that they might be able to offer a better rate. So I agreed to let him transferred to Spectrum. The Spectrum Customer Rep took my call and offer me similar Triple Play svcs with different rates. I told her that I live on limited income and I want her to find the best price she could offer and let me keep the same svcs & same channels as I have w/ TWC.

After talking about 30 min, we finally agreed on a rate of $135 + taxes/monthly (or total about $141-142) for me to keep the same service and same channels as I have w/TWC. We confirmed the price w/ all terms & condition unchanged to renew for another year (expiry Feb 2018) and she assured me again that I would have the same service and all the channels I had w/ TWC. Everything the same and no change before we ended the call. She assured me that there would not be any surprises/changes.

To my surprise, 2 days after the call, I found out that unless I call Spectrum, I can't view channel 208 "CNBC". So I called Spectrum Customer Rep on 2/3/2017. She told me to view the channel I will have to pay additional fee. That's really outrageous. I told her that Spectrum agreed to let me keep all the channels and services before I agreed to renew the contract 2 days ago, why do they change the term right after? She told me that's a miscommunication or mis-understanding between me and the previous Customer Rep. Spectrum could not supply same service/same channels with that contract price. They would have to cut some channels including CNBC & other. Wow, that's really a fraud or deception. Why didn't they tell me all about that before I agree to renew? Why did they mislead customers??

Actually, there's no miscommunication or misunderstand. Spectrum just no good. They try every way to cheat customers and steal from the customers. They want to make more money. We spent almost an hour but no results. She insisted on her opinion, so I told her I am going to report the case to Dept of Consumer Affairs that they cheat the customer. I looked at Spectrum Forum, there are a lot of people complaint about their misconduct, their bad services and their outrageous price increased. What would Dept of Consumer do to protect consumers like us?? Thank you.

Spectrum is over priced quality of the picture poor. Making me pay for channels I did not want or watch. I was told I couldn't downgrade because I was required to have all those channels. As for the internet it's slow & buffers frequently. I asked again I asked to switch my package & they told me I couldn't because I bundled my cable & internet. Time Warner would always work with me & gave me the most affordable deals, now Spectrum tells me they can't help me.

I would like to say that these people are rip off artists. They work out a payment agreement and you pay and then they cut you off. Then the next week they send your account to collections... then collections tell me they're putting a hold on my account for a week so I can pay but before the week is started you get a phone call from a service tech saying they're outside your home. To shut you off from the pole. Then he has the nerve to say "well if you give me 25 dollars I'll hold off on cutting you off..." REALLY? I told him "I'M ON A HOLD TILL NEXT WEEK." He said I wasn't. So I told him to do what he has to do cause I'm not paying **.

The minute Spectrum took over from Time Warner, my bill shot up. They claimed they were providing better service, but the service is much, much worse. My internet is interrupted dozens of times a day, which never used to happen, and it buffers like crazy when watching videos. Most insulting of all, they spend our money making slick commercials for us to watch telling us how lucky we are to be paying them. Thank goodness the NY State Attorney General is suing them for fraud.

I have never felt so taken advantage of by any other company. I have been lied to by four different customer service reps over the last month. I don't know what these people are being instructed to do, but what it is, is simply bad business practices. This company is crooked through and through. I have been trying to turn off my service to connect with a different carrier (any one of them would be better), but they won't turn anything off even though, each time, they said they would do so immediately. Now my bill is growing and growing and I have no way to turn off service.

So my Spectrum internet connection was set up today. Tonight I tried to watch an on demand program and got the same message I always got from my old Verizon telephone dial-up connection internet - which used to be a speed of 7 but after Frontier took over went down to 4. The message says I have to wait while the program downloads and also that a faster internet connection would help. WTF! That's what I tried for six months to get.

After a pause, I would try to resume the program, but every time the downloading pause and message pause resumed. If I wanted slow downloads I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of changing to a non-dial up provider which promises speeds of up to 100. So I tested my upgraded speed on several different sites. The results ranged from 6 to 80, with most from 20 to 60. I'm very disappointed, especially if the speed of 6 happens often.

My next comment is that ALL internet ads state "speeds of up to". This statement is clearly not only meaningless but also so purposefully misleading that it should not be allowed. When I signed up with Spectrum I asked what the lowest speed was but got no answer. I knew it wouldn't be 100 but was assured that it would be fast. Apparently it is only intermittently. If a company wants to advertise its speed it should at least be required to give the range of probable speeds, or else an average speed.

Then I was told that there is no contract. The salesperson acted like this was good thing! It clearly means they plan to raise rates often and high. Is there no consumer protection at all? Also, while I understand bundling, charging MORE for one service than for three feels like unwarranted pressure on a consumer. Really punitive because I like my current TV provider and don't want to risk more difficulties (from making several changes at one time).

Finally all of the above complaints might be ameliorated by more competition. Some areas may have better providers, but I'm stuck in an area (metropolitan LA, not an isolated town) where Verizon and now Frontier continually advertise FIOS, but refuse to put it in my neighborhood while providing it for adjacent neighborhoods all around me, or else a company with poor service: it took me well over 6 months which included 4 house calls with technicians who couldn't figure out where to put the cable and two special case mgrs for them to finally connect it.

I had Spectrum Cable for only three days. They decided to cut my cable due to a previous customer that used to live at my address. Their explanation was, there was money owed. Why would I have to pay the price for someone else, I don't even know. Not only was I treated like a criminal but no one was able to assist me on getting this resolved. I am extremely disappointed on how this company treats their customers. After speaking to numerous Spectrum Supervisors, nothing was ever resolved. In some occasions, even the supervisors admitted to this poor service. I strongly recommend to anyone that is thinking of using their service, you will regret it!

The service and speed I pay for each month is never the advertised speed I purchase. Super slow internet even with high speed and the worst CS in the business. Charter the parent company has some of the worst CS skills in the cable business... yes even worse than Comcast.

I have been a Bright House customer for 10 years which is now SPECTRUM. A couple of months ago I lost my credit card (the method by which I paid my online bill) and got a new one with a new number. Spectrum never alerted me to the fact that my payments were not going through. Who remembers to check their credit card to make sure payments are made - or can even remember all their autopay accounts? So my internet service was CUT OFF WITH NO WARNING. I was on paperless billing which made it impossible to access my account. So I called Spectrum and a vile bossy woman repeatedly told me I had to take $219 IN CASH to my Bright House branch then I would be reconnected. She REFUSED to take my updated credit card details over the phone.

So I had to go to the bank, get cash and drive to Bright House. The line of people in there went out of the door!! I waited 30 minutes and I paid the amount required, informing the bossy, nasty attitude woman at the counter I had never received notification of the payment failure. She proceeded to print out my online statement and said, "Here this is what you were sent." I was on paperless billing so I was never "sent" anything. To access your account they send an email saying your account is ready to view online, but do not mention there is a problem.

After paying the woman shouts "Maaam!!" as I am leaving. "Your new modem." I am now furious. I have to reset the modem, reset the wifi and reset my printer which takes me the good part of the rest of the day. On top of that I have to drive back to the Spectrum/Bright House store with my old modem. Horrendous experience - AWFUL STAFF & DESIGNED TO CAUSE MAXIMUM INCONVENIENCE WHILE RAKING IN OVERCHARGES. I have never passionately hated a company until now.

OMG the worst customer service ever from Spectrum cable company. Can y'all at least be polite when you answer a customer questions? Forgot being able to be helpful but at least be polite when y'all talk to ppl. I just can't believe the way how they were talking to me one person to another. I had to call twice trying to understand the rudeness of the first customer representative and the second one literally yelled at me. It's because I was asking questions to understand the deal he's giving me. I guess that's how it's nowadays.

I talked to a sales representatives on their chat line and set up to have them come out and install their TV, internet and phone services. I asked them to port over our existing phone line. We were switching from Frontier because of the many issues we have had since installation in August of 2016. We were informed that they did not offer "whole home" services and the sales person said what we needed was a DVR in each of the 4 rooms we wanted service in. I asked numerous times if we could record from any DVR and play back in any room and was told yes we could. We had the tech come out on the 27th of January and install the services. The tech didn't explain anything and in fact stole some of my wife's controlled medications.

After playing with the remote and figuring out how things worked we discovered that we could only record a maximum of two shows at a time on any of the 4 DVR's and had to play back the recorded shows on the DVR they were recorded on. This was completely unacceptable and not what we signed up for. So, on Monday the 30th we switched back to Frontier (there were no other providers in our area that could provide TV, Internet and Phone as a package) and we will just keep trying to get any issues resolved. At least we can record up to 6 shows at once with Frontier and we can watch them in any of the other 3 rooms. Using tin cans and a string is better than the service we got from Spectrum.

Terrible product and customer service. TWC/Spectrum will charge you for one thing and give you another (then will not offer any kind of compensation for ripping you off of course). Backstory: So my wife set up cable/internet without me about a year ago and I didn't know the specifics of the package we got. My wife decided to call and cancel cable since we never use it and I overheard that we would still be paying $100 a month for 300 mbps internet. I immediately said that there was no way that was right. I do a test and sure enough the max I can pull down is 60 mbps HARDWIRED. After a long call we are denied compensation and told it's our fault for not monitoring speeds. The kicker is that we downgrade to 100 mbps since we never even got that much and they change it on the spot. Guess what our new hardwired connection speed was? 10 MBPS DOWN! lol. What a joke that Spectrum is. Totally dishonest and they are crooks. GO WITH AT&T! We are. :)

Just had Charter cable installed and after the installer left found could not change channels without walking into another room (one set) or leaving the cupboard door open (another set), even though cable boxes were put in exactly the same place as before (with DirecTV) where we had had no problems. A snippy Charter agent told us we have to go buy wireless remote sensors. I think this is a rip off. The sensors should be included with the installation or, at least, the installer should have informed us of this so we could have had him put the cable boxes in another location. Now we have to pay to have the installer return or go buy the sensors. Charter is starting out with a very irritated client.

My husband and I bought a new house and did not realize 'Bright House/Spectrum' did not service TV only internet in our area. So we went ahead and purchased their internet service for $54.00 a month. A couple months into our services they disconnected the service stating it was a due to them merging. I kept on paying my bill as normal but realized I was getting more bills and they were stating we were past due on ALL of them. I didn't pay much attention and thought maybe it was because they were a new company and still figuring everything out. I called their customer service a couple times and no one there could help or even knew what to do.

I finally called when I received a bill for $346 PAST DUE. The billing lady couldn't help me and didn't understand why I was so frustrated. The bill broken down showed I was paying for TWO internet services and I only signed up for ONE. This made me so mad because I was just paying a bill online and not looking at the breakdown. So, the customer service lady confirmed they can add bundles to your account without letting the customer know. I was so mad that I cancelled our services and went with Frontier FiOS. I hope no one else has to go through this with them. Every time I have called the customer service people are so rude and incompetent and as a business owner... That is unacceptable!

I have no idea what type of business Spectrum is running but they will have to do it without me. I have been a customer of TWC since the mid 90's and is seems as though Spectrum hates us old-timers. Once my service package was discontinued, I was then charged considerably more because I did not make a decision on which new package I wanted in a timely fashion. As a result, I dropped the cable portion of the service. Today, I decided that I will part ways with this truly sketchy company and am now in search of a new internet provider. Thanks a lot TWC, for throwing this loyal customer to the wolves. If this is what you get for being loyal, I hope that more of your customers leave and find a company that truly appreciates them.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1993, Charter became a Fortune 500 company in 2001 and serves more than 6 million customers nationwide. The company is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri.

• Tiered bundle pricing: Consumers can add extra channels to their package, as desired, with three tiered options along with bundled Internet and telephone service. Plans range from 125 to more than 200 channels.
  • Fiber available: Customers in select areas can use fiber connections for extra high-speed Internet.
  • No contracts: Consumers are not required to sign a contract for the company's bundled services, and they can stop using the service at any time.
  • Free HD: Customers receive access to more than 200 HD channels for free.
  • Large volume of on-demand programming: Charter offers a high volume of on-demand content, with more than 10,000 titles.
  • Best for Television fans who watch a range of programs, households on a budget and customers with special interests.

Compare Cable & Satellite TV Providers