Intuit - Payroll

Intuit Payroll

3.9/5 (417 ratings)

About Intuit Payroll

Intuit is a service small businesses can use to manage payroll and access human resource services. It can calculate, file and pay business payroll taxes automatically. Intuit’s flagship products are TurboTax, QuickBooks and Mint. The company is in 20 locations across nine countries.

Intuit - Payroll Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - Payroll?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2022

Our bookkeeper set us up on the payroll service to start the new year. She spent hours on the phone giving them the payroll information. Well they never paid the payroll taxes to the state or Feds. I owe thousands in penalties and interest. There is no accountability. They admit they mistake and refuse to do anything about it. Don't ever use them for payroll.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2022

Our small business has used Intuit since 2019. We have had two major tax errors that have cost us thousands of dollars. These were both very clear errors on the part of Intuit. In both cases, we followed recommendations made by Intuit agents and supervisors that resulted in overpayments in our Federal and State Taxes. I made numerous calls and filed complaints but Intuit made no attempt at resolution. On the contrary, they put restrictions on our web access. It was a clear instance of being further punished for their errors. Intuit has a tax resolution department that essentially does nothing to resolve the mistakes they make. It was extremely frustrating and my business is continuing to try to recover from the error. We will be canceling our Intuit subscription and working with the IRS and State to resolve these overpayments.

Get buying tips about Payroll Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2022

I have done business with Intuit for many years and then there were big raises and no communication or should I say zero communications. I chose not to give this company a raise and called to stop my month to month subscription that had turned to a yearly subscription, It was to be a done deal after May. Everything canceled! No it was not and I tried hundreds of times to stop it to no avail. 7 months of them taking 109 dollars a month out of my account, my bank refused to stop paying and through hundreds of transfers and hang ups from the people at Intuit I had to close my account to stop the theft. You tell me what kind of company does that to small business? I would suggest anyone in small business get someone you can talk to. Intuit has screwed up my IRS deposits and continue to do so and they have not received a payroll since last April. Just spent 5 hours on the phone to get nowhere today 08/02/2022.

Original review: June 26, 2022

Our California corporate ID number was listed incorrectly in our payroll account when set up, so after our first payroll the CA tax authority threw an error and didn't accept the quarterly tax form. I had to call Intuit's (horrible) customer support and wait on hold with many incompetent support staff to simply correct the ID number in their system. This should have been something I could easily change myself in the portal, but no. Even their staff couldn't figure out how to change this simple number. Finally we fixed the number, and I said "now please resubmit the CA quarterly and year end tax forms to California now that the number is fixed" and I was told by a very condescending support person "oh sir the system will automatically do that". I had no option but to trust her and hang up.

Over a week later and Intuit's system still hasn't filed by tax forms, I'm now way past the filing date. I go through another hour of hell waiting and talking to incompetent staff who don't understand what I'm explaining to them and nobody can answer me as to how to get their company's system to file the simple tax forms now that the number is fixed. Should have been simple. It took HOURS of my time on the phone trying to train their staff, while being told over and over "the system will do it".

It's been FOUR MONTHS and guess what, the system NEVER FIXED IT. I asked to speak to a supervisor, was told one would call me back in TWO DAYS. NEVER HAPPENED. So after months of NO service from Intuit Payroll whom I'm paying to file taxes and run my payroll and they could not do this simple service, I have cancelled with them. DO NOT use this horrible company unless you want to waste so much of your time dealing with their horrendous and untrained customer service employees. This is the most unprofessional company I've ever worked with.

Original review: May 19, 2022

I inadvertently didn't respond to an unusual email from Intuit and they dropped us from their payroll after several years of service and payment. They didn't even tell warn us or tell us it had happened. We tried to pay and get back on. We spent MANY hours on the phone with their horrendous customer service but it never got resolved. They didn't pay our mandatory payroll taxes. We had to switch to another company but we still got hit with large penalties for late payment of payroll taxes. It was a nightmare dealing with them and it should be illegal to mess up someone's tax payments like that. We are so relieved to be done with them. Our new company actually responds immediately to our calls and emails. What a relief to be done with Intuit forever.

Original review: May 10, 2022

Intuit did not provide a credit for a service canceled. Spoke with an agent on March 27 and now over a month, no credit has been applied. Confirmation that they have not approved has now been received by email. You would think the $20.00 is what is keeping them running. I do have 3 companies using this service. All will be moved to another service.

Original review: March 17, 2022

Never, ever again….I had to make a correction on a W2. You have to schedule an appointment a month out. Three appointments and 3 missed calls by Intuit. Since system is locked, I can not create one by myself. There is no way to get ahold of the department that does repairs on tax issues. March 17th which is roughly 2.5 months after I first scheduled my appointment, I received an email saying sorry for screw up, and to schedule another appointments. They do not care about fines and IRS letters. They just don’t care. They never return calls. They only return emails stating someone in quickbooks screwed up and go back to the end of the line and start the process again...Stay away if you want your sanity…

Original review: Jan. 12, 2022

If I could I would not even given any stars. Late fall of 2021 Intuit Payroll automatically switched me to QB Payroll. QB payroll is a very badly designed product and their customer services folks are the worst out there. Not trained and folks in the Asian countries have no idea about the product. I have been trying to get an issue resolved for the past 2 days - 8 calls and 4 hrs later still no resolution to my issue. Super frustrating as they say they will transfer the call and I have to authenticate myself again and then again I get transferred over. Not sure what I am paying these idiots for. Can't believe a big company like Intuit/QB is operating this way. Horrible. Time to shop for a different payroll product.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I was promised 50% off the first 3 months if I switched to Intuit Payroll. I was charged the full price. Intuit refused to refund my money although I had a copy of the promotion with me. Very upsetting a company like Intuit will not honor their own promotions.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

Lying thieves, Add Quickbooks Online Payroll Service and they failed to pay taxes in which they ended up paying to the federal government. Customer service is like talking to China, India, Mexico, Thailand and Vietnam all rolled into one. In addition we called to cancel our payroll service and the representative told us a account was canceled for payroll. However they continue to charge us month after month $500 and refused to refund any amount citing their contract stipulated no refunds. Buyer beware this crooked Corporation. QuickBooks hides behind their giant contract of incidentals that consumers unaware about, and when you called to cancel they will tell you it’s canceled but in reality it’s not. Buyer beware. These are criminal corporate weasels with zero integrity, zero honor, and absolutely zero Ethics.

Intuit - Payroll author review by Loy Loveless

Intuit Payroll offers small business payroll solutions that help with employee management, including hiring tips and tools, worker’s compensation and methods to pay employees quickly and easily. Businesses can choose from two, do-it-yourself plans or a full-service plan where Intuit does payroll for them.

• Payday features: Intuit Payroll supports 21 pay types including hourly and salary, bonuses and commissions, overtime, vacation, sick time and reimbursements. After you enter hours worked or approve salaries and add overtime and PTO, Intuit will instantly calculate and create paychecks for each employee. With Intuit Online Payroll employees are paid via direct deposit, computer printed paychecks or handwritten paychecks.

• Tax payment features: Intuit Online Payroll sends email reminders when it’s time to pay taxes, tells you how much is owed and lets you pay electronically. Additionally, Intuit Online Payroll sends reminders when it’s time to file your 940 and 941 forms with the state, automatically fills out your federal tax forms and prepares W-2 forms for all employees.

• Workers’ comp features: Most states require businesses to have workers’ compensation insurance. After you set up your Intuit Payroll solution you fill out an online form and their broker, AP Intego, will contact you within one business day to help you find a competitive plan for your needs. Once a plan is chosen, AP Intego links your workers’ comp to Intuit Payroll. This lets you pay only what you owe, cuts out guesswork or estimates on annual payroll and lets you set up automatic payments so you don’t miss deadlines.

• Labor law poster compliance: Intuit Online Payroll keeps track of changes in your state's labor laws and helps your business stay compliant by sending new posters anytime a law change is required. After 12 months, Intuit automatically renews your poster service subscription.

• Pricing: Intuit Payroll has two do-it-yourself payroll solutions: Basic and Enhanced. The Basic plan is $20 plus $2 per employee per month. The Enhanced plan is $31 plus $2 per employee per month. For companies that want payroll done for them, Intuit offers the Full-Service plan at $79 plus $2 per employee per month.

by Loy Loveless Payroll Services Advisor

A Certified Payroll Professional since 1993, Loy Loveless has mastered the payroll service industry in a variety of business settings. She has completed the Global Certificate Program with the American Payroll Association and is an active member of the Dallas Chapter APA.

Intuit - Payroll Company Information