Intuit Payroll

Compare Business Services

Research top Business Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

This site is one of the worst I have ever used. Every time I log in to see my paycheck, and my company refuses to hand out paper pay stubs, I get an error message saying something goes wrong. This is pathetic and I will refuse to work with Intuit ever again as soon as I leave this job. Every time I log in there is a new gimmick I must go through in order to access my account, which still ends in the error message. This greatly shakes my confidence in this company and makes me wonder if all these "security precautions" aren't actually set up to steal my identity.

Consumer Increased Rating!

We have been with this company since it acquired PayCycle. I started with PayCycle in 2001. We have had very few issues until this past two weeks. We cannot log in. After spending over 3 hours troubleshooting, changing passwords 5 times, clearing cache, etc. I cannot log in. They continue to promise to call me back, since my case has been escalated. At first their excuse for no return call or fixing the issue was that require up to 42 hours; now, that excuse is out the window. It has been over a week and we cannot log on and we cannot do payroll. I call daily and get the same nonsense. I am at wit's end as I have no recourse. Totally handcuffed. I have nowhere to turn.

This is by far the worst payroll service I have ever used, their Tech Support Team is in the Philippines and they barely even speak English. The Online Payroll Service has been down for two days with no resolution time in site. I have two companies on this service and they told me to go to paycheckcity.com and hand calculate each of my 50 employee's paychecks. If we were using Paychex or ADP they would do this for us. Instead they are asking that I pull each employee file and enter them as if they were a brand new employee just to calculate their paychecks. This is so wrong, we need to switch services!!!

Twice in the last 45 days I could not get on Intuit payroll because of so called updates. Why would you do updates during the day when businesses need to access this site for payroll? Qb online notifies you when update will take place because it's planned which makes this sound like it's more than an update... Maybe their security has been improvised? So mad! They have officially lost my business.

We are an accounting firm that uses QuickBooks for our payroll service. We are really not happy with the service we get from Intuit. Not only do they charge for every single little thing, but their customer service has declined. We have one client who uses direct deposit for 2 employees and we've had nothing but problems with Intuit. For months everything was OK but then the payroll got submitted to the wrong bank. That was our problem, but QuickBooks charged a hefty fee for this as well as made it difficult and time consuming to lift a resulting hold on our account. I talked to 3 different foreign customer service people who could not help me, and I finally had to demand to speak to risk management. Risk management helped me but this took me all day to resolve. As a small accounting firm, this really hurts us in many ways as we lose time, money, and then have to answer to our clients when they are upset.

Now today I cannot get a payroll direct deposit to go through. I am being told that there were some limits on the account. No apology or anything from yet again a foreign customer service rep. Instead they are blaming this on me - saying I set some "limit" when I set up the direct deposit. We've direct deposited before with no issues, so why now? When setting up for direct deposit it doesn't ask for limits. So no, this isn't my fault. Meanwhile, I now have to notify my client AGAIN that direct deposit is messed up and have to answer to them for why their paychecks won't be direct deposited on time. I will be surprised if we can salvage this client after this, and am tired of having to apologize for Intuit's mistakes, crap service, etc. Most banks now offer direct pay for employees - if your bank offers this you are better off paying a little extra for this service through your bank because Intuit has given us nothing but issues and isn't really that much cheaper anyways.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

The absolutely worst payroll experience ever. Lost all of our payroll information. Customer Support is useless. The level of incompetence is unbelievable! I will be going back to ADP next month.

I purchased QuickBooks payroll service and it has taken me 4 phone calls to get just one employee's check deposited. And my employee just told me that no, it has not been deposited even after I JUST got off the phone and they went through everything and assured me that yes, this time, it was deposited. I checked with my employee and the account number they made me change it to and said was the right one was not. So four days later and hours and hours of phone calls the problem is still not solved. And my hard working employee is not paid and has no paycheck for the 4th of July weekend. Frustrating beyond words.

Intuit really thinks that they make the world spin. Their support center is terrible. Their product has loops in them after you purchase them that will NOT let you do your State Taxes or will NOT let you install properly. Best part is that I will NOT be paying for the software from this year onwards, since I will just buy it and share it with many others in the family and gain the money back from the sharing. It is the ONLY way to combat these bozos who give POOR support, write BAD code and then HANG up on people when you call the support centers (saying Oops). You call the next agent, and they give LIP SERVICE.

They need to be sold to Microsoft or some Chinese company so that they can be lock/stock outsourced to Manila. I am sure that the entire support staff is not like this, but at least some females are, that woke up on the wrong side of the country, which is why this will go to Manila or India very shortly. Good luck Intuit. Getting bigger is not necessarily mean better.

I have been with Intuit since they switched from Quicken. Over the last 3-4 years I have seen a major decrease in customer service, they no longer will support pro advisors unless you go through their certifications, you get the crappiest support from the Philippines and let me tell you about the nightmares they have created. They have screwed three of my QB files up and ended up in the support in Portland to fix. They had a major problem trying to find out what occurred. All you hear is how sorry they are, but of course are they fixing anything? NO... Why do that? Instead they prefer to treat you like crap. After over 20 years of being with them I have been switching my companies over to another software and once I get my last customer over I am going to sing, dance and be merry that I can finally be out from underneath the claws of Intuit.

I look forward to that day, it is my one and only dream anymore, NO MORE INTUIT. To me it is so sad to see how they have fallen in customer support and just don't care. They think they are in every corner of the world but the problem is that if you don't keep up the care and support customers will not remain. As of today my payroll is under another software and I am one step closer to bringing all my companies out of QB, yippee for me.

Intuit Payroll has the worst support!! We have a home care business and use a wonderful software for all of our client and caregiver info. We use Quickbooks with Intuit Payroll (with our software interface) and it is a nightmare! When the interface works, it's fine but when it doesn't there is absolutely no one who knows anything. I have been on the phone for the past 45 minutes with 3 different "payroll specialists" yet no one know seems to know anything. It is so frustrating!!!

We have been QuickBooks for Mac payroll users for over 10 years, and twice the program denied access to our payroll account. The first time 1/31/16 it took us six (6) weeks to correct the problem and we lost the ability to process weekly payroll and quarterly government required reports. The second time was yesterday 4/7/16. I'm done with this. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE. THEY ARE TOTALLY INCOMPETENT.

We had a very similar experience to the guy who reviewed on 1/13/16. My wife had to change her email address but due to what Intuit said was new security software, they were unable to do the change, although they would never admit it. Since we no longer have the old email account, we had no way to access our Intuit account. We contacted Intuit on 5 separate occasions and were given case numbers (different each time) and asked to provide all kinds of identifying data from Articles of Incorporation to a Marriage license.

We were then told that within 5 business days we would be back up and running. Not so, so after another week and another hour plus on the phone we were again asked for all kinds of identifying information to be sent to Intuit including our photos!! Really?? What were they going to compare them with? Each time we would call, the rep would indicate that there was no evidence we had called on earlier occasions even though we gave them all of the case identification numbers they had given us. After a grand total of over 6 man-hours on the phone, my wife and I gave up and cancelled our account. If you are searching for the very worst customer service experience ever and have nothing better to do than sit on a phone waiting for someone to fix your issue, which will never be fixed, I heartily endorse Intuit for you!

When Intuit purchased former company in 2012, our company's first 941 form wasn't submitted successfully to IRS despite my state form DE 6 went through same day with submitting. The company didn't inform us that the form failed to submit. When we uploaded IRS notice requesting the reporting, all Intuit did was archive again, never inform us to hand-file hard copy despite several later attempts to ask them to refile. Customer service have never mentioned about the hard copy file. 3 years later, IRS assesses the penalty. Again, going back to the company was no help. We've got the run around explanation which made no sense, and finally was told that we should refile ourself and pay the penalty. That was totally irresponsible for a reputable company to mistreat customer and wash hand of any incurred penalty due to their mistake!!

I have experienced many issues with this company regarding account access, employee direct deposit, multiple errors across all platforms related to their payroll services. Quite possibly the worst payroll services company I have ever experienced. They fail to meet even the simplest of service like transferring a phone call. It would be a HUGE mistake to trust this company to manage your $. Save yourself WEEKS of stress and pain and look elsewhere for your payroll needs. I made the mistake of using Intuit for my payroll in 2014 & 2015, and at first they were ok, no major issues just tons of little annoying quirks to work out, but then bring in 2015 and the annoying quirks elevated to complete failure. Not sure what happened to this company in 2015, but they should try to refocus by making a list of every active employee and then firing everyone on this list.

I tried to set up an Intuit account for mobile payments for a newly formed nonprofit. They not only turned us down, but a week later, they cancelled my personal Intuit account. After reading the plethora of complaints, I feel fortunate that neither I nor the nonprofit agency I work for are with them anymore. Based on complaints I've read, their customer service is, at best uncaring and at worst, inept. Dodged that bullet!

They changed the security requirements without notification. I went to run payroll, but couldn't log in any longer. After hours on the phone trying to sort this out, I finally had to manually run my payroll in order to get it out on time. They still charged me for the payroll service, even though I wasn't able to use it. I went to run payroll 3 days in advance so I could get in and catch up the data and run payroll. After hours on the phone, being disconnected 3 times I finally have given up. Here's the kicker, they won't let you cancel your account without logging in!!! Are you kidding me? This is absurd. I've contacted my credit card company to reverse charges. Now I just want Intuit to quit wasting my time.

Today, I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Lee - who I believe was an outsourced customer service rep - at Intuit's payroll department, trying to get the direct deposit of my paycheck to go through like it typically does every other Friday. Normally, I would have received it at 12:00a.m. today (Friday) but this time our bookkeeper didn't transmit payroll until 5:23 a.m. (PT) on Wednesday, December 9, 2015. So now according their rules (2 business days), I will not get paid until Monday 12/14 - which is 5 REAL days later. She has done this before, and so far I haven't had a problem. However, now we do. At issue here is what the benefit is, if any, the customer is really getting out of Intuit's direct deposit payroll service. My employer is on the opposite side of the city but could have written, mailed, adjusted her books, etc, and made her employee a little happier in the time Intuit is "processing" a simple electronic transfer.

I realize it is probably a batch process, but clearly something is wrong when it takes 5 days to get complete a direct deposit. This is not 1988, so I don't understand why a transaction must take that long - business or not - to complete. Where is the convenience in this product? Is it to make Quickbooks accounting easier to do? Well, let me argue that the time I've spent - wasted - on calls, emails, and interactions with our bookkeeper, my employer, and the bank - not to mention the added frustration, stress, and anger dealing with Intuit - far outweighs any positive features of this program. I mean, to be frank, why do I have to call India (on hold for 10 just to speak with someone) to find out why it is taking 5 days to get paid when both my employer and I here in the same city and even have the same bank!

There is simply no economy or justification for using Intuit's payroll service when there are probably countless alternatives out available elsewhere. I did make it known to Lee, the customer service rep, that I was not blaming her and that she did not have to apologize for the b.s. of her company, but I was adamant that the company she is working for sucks! And I told her I will let everyone know it! This product/service may have been a good idea once, but the time has come to kick the garbage that it is to the curb!

My husband's small engineering business ordered payroll checks from Intuit. One month later we received another batch of checks that were not order. And the checks were numbered the same as the original batch of checks and thus were useless. We refused to pay for the 2nd batch that we never ordered and were useless. We even agreed if they renumber them we would pay. Now we have a collection agency harassing us at home.

Have been doing business with Intuit and am using their online version of payroll and QuickBooks for 5 years now. We recently had a problem due to their error of issuing one of our employees three identical pay checks via direct deposit. By the time that we found out about their error it was too late to cancel anything on their end and their CSR instructed us to stop payment two of the checks with our bank. As instructed we did stop payment on two of the checks (at our cost of $35 each or $70 total). After we did so, Intuit put our account on suspension unless we paid them the payroll fees plus a $100 penalty! Intuit then blocked our access to both QB and payroll online!! After five plus hours on the phone and speaking to eleven (yes that's 11) different CSR's they finally waived the fee. In total, my bookkeeper spent 14 hours to clear up their mistake!!!

I have a mac so I was forced into Intuit Online Payroll since QuickBooks Payroll is not supported for mac. I have used QuickBooks Payroll for years without any major complaints. I got a few good months out of them before the security upgrade and immediately couldn't access my account. They of course timed the upgrade right before monthly federal filings are due for payroll taxes, which is absolutely brilliant. I still cannot access my account at all after a week and a half and repeated emails telling me they fixed my problem. I spend hours on the phone with them essentially beta testing the product they already launched for them.

This is the sloppiest product launch I have ever dealt with. I don't think they did any testing on mac at all before launch because they got really excited about my error messages. The only email responses I am getting from them at this point are surveys asking how good of a job they did when they "fixed" my problem. Still can't access my account. Oh yeah, but they did just bill me for this month.

On October 28, 2015, I contacted Intuit customer service due to a "Login" issue. I assumed it was a simple fix, since I was logging in from a different desktop computer. I also thought that I may have forgotten my password because I repeatedly received a message that my password or email was incorrect. When I attempted to reset through the "forgot password" link, I received a message stating that my email address was not recognized. Keep in mind, I received an email from Intuit that very morning reminding me to run payroll.

In a nutshell, here is my experience with customer service thus far: October 28th: 30 minutes (much of that time on hold) with a customer service agent, who said I needed to call a different Intuit number because I am a mac user. October 29th: One hour (much of that time on hold) to be told that I would receive a phone call the next morning from the customer service rep. with information that would take care of the issue. While on hold, I hear a recorded message that Intuit is experiencing difficulties (however this message was not given the day prior, or when I am first put on hold on the 29th).

October 30th, I received the rep's call 2.5 hours later than the scheduled call time, only to be told that I would be transferred to someone who could help me. I was transferred instead to a woman who asked me which Intuit Product I wanted to purchase! By this time, I thought this was incredulous, and told her so, and asked to speak to someone who could help me. The next person told me this was a "migration" issue, and that it was "advancing" to the next security level. I told him I questioned my account's security (as an odd thing was happening that last time I tried to correct my employees’ hours from "am" to "pm" ~ it was as though someone was trying to enter info at the same time and my single employee (whom I trust completely) said she had not tried to enter anything that day). At the end of the phone call, I was assured by the rep. that this was just about fixed and that I would receive an email from Intuit within 20 minutes.

I would be asked to answer a bunch of security questions and I was told to check my spam folder just in case it landed there. I was also told not to be concerned about phishing ~ it was legitimate. As you may expect by now, that email has yet to arrive, 24 hours later. My payroll is now 2 days overdue and I have no access to my payroll service. I have used Intuit since 2012 and until now, I have been very pleased. However, in my opinion, this is unacceptable. I am paying for a service that can't deliver a simple resolution to let me back into my account.

I have repeatedly given my email, my federal identification number, and my phone number to the Intuit reps who took my calls. A couple reps asked if they could access my computer and I said no ~ I didn't see a connection between that action and how they would resolve the issue. I questioned why Intuit didn't send out emails to its customers acknowledging difficulties and alerting us that "engineers were working to fix it". I also mentioned that Intuit's ability to address difficulties is quite inefficient. I intend to switch my payroll service due to these circumstances. I noticed another Intuit Reviewer in 2014 who experienced exactly the same issue I had and with no resolution in sight.

Intuit online payroll has worked OK for a year with some issues like not sending forms with payments, signing in. The program is a great idea but when they beefed up security I couldn't get in to do my payroll, it's going on 5 hrs now. All this is doing is making the people that are paying for this service frustrated. I know I'm not the only one having this problem because I am currently on hold and the call times say that they are unusually high. 30 minutes+ on hold is too long. As soon as I can get my payroll done today I will be looking for a new payroll system. I am not one to complain at all. In fact this is my first formal complaint and I am 40. I realize that identity theft is on the rise but come on it's just payroll.

There are too many complaints to list them all, it's quite sad actually. Let's see, exorbitant yearly "support" fees. Issues that have lingered since 2008 with simple functionality. Unintuitive interface. Inability to appropriately tie transactions together. Online banking glitches. Online banking connector (merchant) fees (19.95+ per month). Nasty proprietary form creation interface. General program glitches (for instance, right now, there is a reminder stating "online banking transactions ready to send"), however, there are no transactions ready to send [pathetic]). Problems with payroll processing and workers comp integration. Problems with hard coded payroll liabilities tying with actual transactions. That's the short list.

In a nutshell. Intuit is raiding my bank account on a monthly basis for non-existent Payroll Services... period. I cancelled the service in July of 2015. No problems in August. No debits in August. Suddenly on September 1st, a debit from Intuit! My wife and I tried for many hours to resolve this with them. Their response was "Well, we do not have any record of an existing account, therefore, we cannot help you! As far as the debits on your bank account, you will have to take that up with your bank!"

I knew, at that very moment, we were screwed. First of all, I could hardly understand this Intuit Momo on the phone. He had a very thick Indian accent. I spent 10 minutes on the phone with my bank account manager and had a "Merchant Block" placed on Intuit. This cost me a one time fee of $35.00. Well worth it to block this thief company from stealing $38.75 per month from us. I will NEVER buy an Intuit product ever again. Disgusted as hell with this company!

I cannot comment on the actual payroll product, as Intuit was never able to actually complete the setup process. I am a consultant that works with small to medium sized companies on strategy, finance, and operations, including systems implementation. Here are some facts for the client I was working with that inspired this review: $4 MM annual revenues, K-8 charter school, ~70 employees, standard employee benefits plans (health, dental, life, ST/LT), pension contributions to state retirement plan for all full-time employees.

The implementation process was not managed well and ultimately concluded with Intuit cancelling the implementation THE DAY we were supposed to run our first payroll. Here's a summary: Started the process in April, passed along to multiple "account setup specialists", provided Intuit with online access to current provider to pull all existing information, frequently given incorrect information. Informed multiple times they had all the information to complete. Informed they had access to our online site for current provider. Informed they did not have proper account information for online access one month after providing. Given multiple completion timelines that were all missed.

Informed on 7.10 that they were ready to go on 7.13 (final day we would be able to run payroll and still pay employees on time). Non-respondent to emails requesting specifics on 7.10 and 7.13. Notified via email that they were cancelling our implementation due to Intuit's inability to handle employee pension deductions. Intuit never requested this information at the beginning of the process. I have been involved in a number of systems implementations. This was by far the most poorly managed as well as the worst customer service. I will never consider using Intuit, ever. We did not cancel our other service and were still able to complete payroll, albeit with some added and unneeded stress.

Terrible and misleading website. It is never clear whether they submit tax forms for you. Only find out when the state tax authority complains they never got them.

I had a payroll amount that was entered in error for an employee. I called Intuit right away and I was told that payroll was in the loop to be paid and that I could stop the deposit with my bank. I did what I was instructed to do and I received an email five days later from Intuit saying that they paid it and could not get the funds from my bank. They told me I owed them the amount that was sent in error because they paid the employee. They also told me that I owed $50 additional dollars for NSF fees!

I called back and the rep said that she could see in the notes the instructions that were given to me to stop the payment with the bank. She then escalated the matter to risk management who had a block restricting any further payrolls until I relinquish the funds! Since payroll had to be ran this day, I followed the link to pay them only for them to tell me that the process takes three business days to complete! I'm escalating this matter and I would advise anyone not to use them! The knowledge of the reps is basic at best and the error message I get on a weekly basis is not worth it! Run...run...run!!!!

I have had nothing but trouble with Intuit using the Mac version. I could manually prepare my payroll and reports much faster than through their version. The Windows payroll version is very user friendly. Through the Mac process, I overpaid the tax liability and now have to go through the process with the IRS. Have had trouble exporting checks, misc forms etc. which resulted in duplication.

I have had to reset my password every time I try to login to payroll records. Before now I assumed I was being careless or forgetful but now it is obvious (after being very meticulous and writing down all information) that there is simply an issue with their system when you try to log on! 30% of the time when I am successful it tells me there are no records to show. VERY frustrating!

Save yourself the headache and the time and go with Zen payroll! They are a dream!! After starting the 30 day trial with Intuit payroll I spent 3 hours on the phone with them over 2 weeks trying just to run payroll (on hold, "let me transfer you", "for some reason I can't find your account", etc etc. ) to no avail, that's right... After all that, still no payroll. So I cancelled my subscription before it started spending another 45 min on the phone to do that.

3 months, 2 e-mails, 1 online cancellation form filled out, 4 phone calls (to which I was told my account was canceled each time) and the equivalent of another 3.5 hours on the phone later, I'm still getting charged for my "subscription." Furious! To say it's impossible to run payroll AND it's impossible to cancel is an understatement! Who has time to do this? These guys are the worst company I've ever dealt with. To top it all off, my fiance had almost the same experience. Save yourself!

Intuit Payroll Company Profile