Intuit - Payroll

Intuit Payroll Reviews

About Intuit - Payroll

Intuit is a service small businesses can use to manage payroll and access human resource services. It can calculate, file and pay business payroll taxes automatically. Intuit’s flagship products are TurboTax, QuickBooks and Mint. The company is in 20 locations across nine countries.

Intuit - Payroll Reviews

Stars Rating

• 27%
  • 42%
  • 22%
  • 6%
  • 3%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - Payroll?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - Payroll?
    Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Nov. 1, 2023

Intuit created their own greedy death spiral. After forcing you to upgrade every 3 years and get nothing improved with their software just so you can keep using payroll plus it goes up 10% minimum every year. Now the start of subscription. I'm done. We went with another payroll company and is half the price of intuit payroll and they actually have customer service!!! They even noticed that for some reason the withholdings were high for myself and I get another $200 a month in my paychecks. I'm done with them. 2020 Pro is the last version I have bought and I will be switching to some other accounting software. You can only squeeze so much blood out of a turnip.

Profile pic of the author.
    Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed May 12, 2023

I had used Quickbooks for the last 15 years. This last 18 months with their full service payroll has been horrific! I constantly get letters from payroll tax offices saying I (my full service Quickbooks payroll that I pay for) have not filed my taxes. I then have to go through sending the notices to Quickbooks to submit online. Then crickets. I hear nothing! OR I hear back 6 months later that it has been resolved. MY LAST STRAW: one of my high school student employees accidentally wrote the wrong social number (by a single digit) on one of her forms. I happened to accidentally use that one form when creating her account. When her W-2 was mailed out her dad called and said it was incorrect and it needed to be fixed.

I contacted Quickbooks on February 28th 2023. I was told it could take up to 60 days. I checked in on day 60 when she still had not received her corrected W-2. This was already PAST the due date for tax filing in America. I contacted Quickbooks again (I had checked in every few weeks during the first 60 days to be told the window of time was still open for them to fix it). On the 60th day I called and they put in a NEW 'escalated' ticket - the email I got when it was submitted... 40-60 days! IS my staff really expected to wait 120 days for a corrected W-2 to be mailed??? Oh and they are not allowed to give out a number or email to this group that handles it so my hands and an employer are tied. Will never use Quickbooks payroll again.

Get buying tips about Payroll Services delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer Service

Reviewed April 27, 2023

An absolutely horrifying experience with customer service. Payroll tax was not debited due to an error on their side. We were notified after 5 months and the only way to pay this was by wiring the money. We had to pay the wire fee due to Intuit's mistake and it took several phone calls and a ton of confusion. We were even threatened to have our account terminated DUE TO THEIR MISTAKE. The product is good but I would seriously consider alternatives due to this experience.

Reviewed April 6, 2023

Quickbooks Payroll recently updated its software which caused the last two payrolls to be mapped incorrectly. Quickbooks engineers have been working on this glitch for over a week but have not been able to resolve my issue. I need someone in TIER 3 to contact me ASAP as what QB did is incorrect and possibly illegal.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed March 15, 2023

Today I contacted customer support and was on with Pam for an hour in which she had me go through the steps to show her the errors I get when adding payroll for a client. When she was unable to figure it out she proceeded to tell me this cannot be done since the account is billed to the client (as a side note they always tell us something can't be done if they can't figure it out). She wasn't even aware that Intuit sent out a How to email and video back in Jan. Then refused to escalate the issue when asked. I had to share my screen and show her the email and linked video. It is not my job to teach the agents about the updates they should know about. It's beyond frustrating when ppl that should know how to do their job doesn't. Then Intuit makes it extremely difficult to escalate the issue on your own. Beware there are better accounting software out there. Remember you get what you pay for or not...

Price

Reviewed Oct. 31, 2022

Our bookkeeper set us up on the payroll service to start the new year. She spent hours on the phone giving them the payroll information. Well they never paid the payroll taxes to the state or Feds. I owe thousands in penalties and interest. There is no accountability. They admit they mistake and refuse to do anything about it. Don't ever use them for payroll.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2022

Our small business has used Intuit since 2019. We have had two major tax errors that have cost us thousands of dollars. These were both very clear errors on the part of Intuit. In both cases, we followed recommendations made by Intuit agents and supervisors that resulted in overpayments in our Federal and State Taxes. I made numerous calls and filed complaints but Intuit made no attempt at resolution. On the contrary, they put restrictions on our web access. It was a clear instance of being further punished for their errors. Intuit has a tax resolution department that essentially does nothing to resolve the mistakes they make. It was extremely frustrating and my business is continuing to try to recover from the error. We will be canceling our Intuit subscription and working with the IRS and State to resolve these overpayments.

Verified purchase
      Customer Service

Reviewed Aug. 2, 2022

I have done business with Intuit for many years and then there were big raises and no communication or should I say zero communications. I chose not to give this company a raise and called to stop my month to month subscription that had turned to a yearly subscription, It was to be a done deal after May. Everything canceled! No it was not and I tried hundreds of times to stop it to no avail. 7 months of them taking 109 dollars a month out of my account, my bank refused to stop paying and through hundreds of transfers and hang ups from the people at Intuit I had to close my account to stop the theft. You tell me what kind of company does that to small business? I would suggest anyone in small business get someone you can talk to. Intuit has screwed up my IRS deposits and continue to do so and they have not received a payroll since last April. Just spent 5 hours on the phone to get nowhere today 08/02/2022.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed June 26, 2022

Our California corporate ID number was listed incorrectly in our payroll account when set up, so after our first payroll the CA tax authority threw an error and didn't accept the quarterly tax form. I had to call Intuit's (horrible) customer support and wait on hold with many incompetent support staff to simply correct the ID number in their system. This should have been something I could easily change myself in the portal, but no. Even their staff couldn't figure out how to change this simple number. Finally we fixed the number, and I said "now please resubmit the CA quarterly and year end tax forms to California now that the number is fixed" and I was told by a very condescending support person "oh sir the system will automatically do that". I had no option but to trust her and hang up.

Over a week later and Intuit's system still hasn't filed by tax forms, I'm now way past the filing date. I go through another hour of hell waiting and talking to incompetent staff who don't understand what I'm explaining to them and nobody can answer me as to how to get their company's system to file the simple tax forms now that the number is fixed. Should have been simple. It took HOURS of my time on the phone trying to train their staff, while being told over and over "the system will do it".

It's been FOUR MONTHS and guess what, the system NEVER FIXED IT. I asked to speak to a supervisor, was told one would call me back in TWO DAYS. NEVER HAPPENED. So after months of NO service from Intuit Payroll whom I'm paying to file taxes and run my payroll and they could not do this simple service, I have cancelled with them. DO NOT use this horrible company unless you want to waste so much of your time dealing with their horrendous and untrained customer service employees. This is the most unprofessional company I've ever worked with.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed May 19, 2022

I inadvertently didn't respond to an unusual email from Intuit and they dropped us from their payroll after several years of service and payment. They didn't even tell warn us or tell us it had happened. We tried to pay and get back on. We spent MANY hours on the phone with their horrendous customer service but it never got resolved. They didn't pay our mandatory payroll taxes. We had to switch to another company but we still got hit with large penalties for late payment of payroll taxes. It was a nightmare dealing with them and it should be illegal to mess up someone's tax payments like that. We are so relieved to be done with them. Our new company actually responds immediately to our calls and emails. What a relief to be done with Intuit forever.

Intuit - Payroll author review by Loy Loveless

Intuit Payroll offers small business payroll solutions that help with employee management, including hiring tips and tools, worker’s compensation and methods to pay employees quickly and easily. Businesses can choose from two, do-it-yourself plans or a full-service plan where Intuit does payroll for them.

• Payday features: Intuit Payroll supports 21 pay types including hourly and salary, bonuses and commissions, overtime, vacation, sick time and reimbursements. After you enter hours worked or approve salaries and add overtime and PTO, Intuit will instantly calculate and create paychecks for each employee. With Intuit Online Payroll employees are paid via direct deposit, computer printed paychecks or handwritten paychecks.

• Tax payment features: Intuit Online Payroll sends email reminders when it’s time to pay taxes, tells you how much is owed and lets you pay electronically. Additionally, Intuit Online Payroll sends reminders when it’s time to file your 940 and 941 forms with the state, automatically fills out your federal tax forms and prepares W-2 forms for all employees.

• Workers’ comp features: Most states require businesses to have workers’ compensation insurance. After you set up your Intuit Payroll solution you fill out an online form and their broker, AP Intego, will contact you within one business day to help you find a competitive plan for your needs. Once a plan is chosen, AP Intego links your workers’ comp to Intuit Payroll. This lets you pay only what you owe, cuts out guesswork or estimates on annual payroll and lets you set up automatic payments so you don’t miss deadlines.

• Labor law poster compliance: Intuit Online Payroll keeps track of changes in your state's labor laws and helps your business stay compliant by sending new posters anytime a law change is required. After 12 months, Intuit automatically renews your poster service subscription.

• Pricing: Intuit Payroll has two do-it-yourself payroll solutions: Basic and Enhanced. The Basic plan is $20 plus $2 per employee per month. The Enhanced plan is $31 plus $2 per employee per month. For companies that want payroll done for them, Intuit offers the Full-Service plan at $79 plus $2 per employee per month.

by Loy Loveless Payroll Services Advisor

A Certified Payroll Professional since 1993, Loy Loveless has mastered the payroll service industry in a variety of business settings. She has completed the Global Certificate Program with the American Payroll Association and is an active member of the Dallas Chapter APA.

Intuit - Payroll Company Information