Intuit Payroll
Based on 83 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Intuit Payroll

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 13, 2017

96 Intuit Payroll Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I have not been able to process my payroll without serious issues for over 6 weeks. The software is full of glitches, has severe latency problems and does not work. It takes 30 minutes or more to get anyone on the phone and they state there is no fix available and can't tell me when it will be fixed. The service and product have consistently gotten worse over time. I asked to speak with a manager and they can't offer any help. They told me they have no idea when it will be fixed and many customers are having the same problems. I need to spend 2 to 3 hours doing payroll weekly rather than about 15 minutes. This is the worst payroll company!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Two weeks ago I was unable to login in to my QB payroll account to process payroll. I contact Intuit and they confirmed there was an issue with QB for Mac and even they couldn't login. They provided a website suggestion for me to use when processing payroll. Payroll was quite a bit more process than normal due to having to review ALL employee files to enter tax filing data. So excuse me for believing I was due some credit towards my service since the product didn't work.

Intuit bills a month in advance so when I received my invoice I contacted Intuit about the missing credit and was advised they are not offering any type of compensation to customers for the issue since it affected all customers who use the product. So since ALL customers were affected they get choose to keep the revenue paid by customers for a product that didn't provide the service. Okay. No wonder corporate profits are doing so well. Very poor customer service. If I tried to charge my customers for services not rendered, I probably wouldn’t have any customers.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Stay away from Direct Deposit. I will keep you informed but to date I spoke with 4 representatives over 5 days all assuring me not to worry that funds were not debited to pay employees and employees would be paid on time. Then told it would be delayed until 10/2... 3 days later than scheduled so I advised employees. 10/2 I was told no pay until 10/4. Their support cannot communicate clearly and terribly inaccurate. Still they charged me $100 for out-of-normal payroll.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Unfortunate customer service: I've been a long standing user and proponent of QuickBooks and Intuit Online Payroll. I started my account when a company called Paycycle owned the site. Unfortunately, they eventually sold out to Intuit and now their brand name is Intuit Online Payroll. In the beginning, Paycycle was outstanding. Their customer service made you feel as though they really cared for you as a client. I run a small accounting firm and found that its ease of use and integration with QuickBooks made it perfect for my size office with our smaller client base. There were instances where a problem was found in their system and they, without my asking, offered me a full month's credit on my account which at the time was just over $300 per month. At this point, we've grown a bit and my monthly access fees are approximately $430.

While processing quarterly reports for my state for one of my clients, it was discovered that their system was miscalculating the unemployment excess wage calculation. When pulling reports, it was clear that one specific employee was not over the threshold but Intuit was calculating that it was. I contacted Intuit via chat, first off I understand they are busy right at the end of a quarter but I manned my screen until I got distracted several minutes later. By the time I looked again, they had disconnected the chat. In my second attempt, being the longstanding client that I am, I was proactive and gave them my info to verify my security and typed my question and came back periodically to see if it had an answer. The agent had come on and asked how I was doing... since I didn't answer she wrote that she would be disconnecting - without even addressing my question!

What a waste of time, to ignore my question and disconnect simply because I didn't answer how I was? FRUSTRATED! That's how I am! Next, the agent asked me to pull a report showing the excess wages, which I did but she said her info was different and not coming up with the same information. How could this be? After several attempts to get her to understand, I asked to speak with her supervisor. He came on and said the same thing! He said the employee had met the threshold. Then he asked me to pull a report for the entire year. I'm processing 2nd quarter reports, that period ends on 6/30. So even if the employee reached the threshold in July, that has no bearing on 2nd quarter. Anyone with an ounce of experience with payroll should know this. After about another 20 minutes of trying to get my point across he finally understood.

He came back on to tell me there was a "bump" in their system but it had been fixed... whatever that means. HOW IS THIS OK? Aren't they responsible for providing accurate information? How can I assure my clients that I can provide accurate tax reporting? He apologized but what does that amount to? I then had to ask about a credit. He offered me $12. Said that's the best he could do. Does that sound "apologetic" to you, for the amount of time spent trying to "train" their agent, and their supervisor how to pull a report to reflect information that is inaccurate for a certain quarter. I do not recommend Intuit Payroll, sadly there are not a lot of other providers out there but I'll be looking...

Original review: June 27, 2017

In September of last year a temp employee signed our business up for Quickbooks payroll without the company knowing about it used the owner's name and credit card. Just discovered this today and I made several attempts to cancel the payroll subscription that we do not need. The policy at Quickbooks is that they won't do anything unless they speak to the owner. I am the manager here and have complete authority to act on behalf of the business. Even knowing all the private data on the account no one would help or even transfer me to a supervisor.

Consequently, I then went to the Quickbooks Facebook page and contacted them via Messenger. They answered me and said they would help and then came back with the same story. I have asked to file a complaint. I went back into the Quickbooks site and tried to cancel our credit card that was on file and the message came up "You can't cancel a card that is being used to pay for one of your subscriptions." Should call them Quack books.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: May 25, 2017

I had an account for 2 years with Intuit. Due to being hacked on the business account I had to close my account and open another one. I gave Intuit my new account information the same day. The day before they paid my payroll. Less than a week later I get a phone call that if I don't wire money that my bill will go into collections. I called Intuit and said due to medical reasons that I was not able to go to the bank and wire money. They treated me like a criminal saying that if I don't wire the money that the bill go into collections. I asked them if I could pay by check or debit card or if they could use my new card on file and all answers were denied. When I asked to speak to someone higher I was told that there was no one higher. UNBELIEVABLE I am practically begging them to take my money in any other way than wiring it and being threatened that if I don't wire the money that it will go into collection.

And when I threatened to get a lawyer because they REFUSED to take my money due to me being unable to go to the bank... they end up hanging up on me. Wouldn't the most decent thing have been... to call me... informing me that payment was not processed properly and ask me for a different payment option instead of putting my bill with less than a week into a collection agency?

Original review: May 8, 2017

I've been using Intuit Online Payroll since it was PayCycle and it's just gotten worse over time. The interface is bare bones and not user-friendly at all, when you try to click on the "Help" button it says "file not found", and if you want to look up any reports they are hidden under a confusing tree of sub-menus that never seem to get you to the right place. I'm often receiving notices from the IRS that my taxes were miscalculated so I think there's some wrong with the way they are calculating things. The final straw was when I tried to switch to Payroll through Costco, as I believed it would save me money, but during the signup process I found out it would actually be more expensive once the trial period was over.

I was assured that my service level would go back to normal. Later on I found out that I had lost my ability to print quarterly wage and tax reports and when I called support I spoke to several people in the Philippines who said there was nothing that could be done because my original service level didn't exist anymore. They refused to transfer me to a manager and just kept saying that all they could do was give me a free month of their more expensive service to try it out. I'm going to ADP to see if they can do any better than these idiots!

Original review: April 28, 2017

I have been an accountant for 30 years, and have used every payroll system on the planet... With the exception of IOP, which my new client used. The most unprofessional, unethical, uncooperative and non-functioning system ever. Their early withdrawal of funds cause a multitude of banking nightmares, their customer support is not helpful, not knowledgeable and even the phone connection is ridiculously bad. Never did get the interface with Quickbooks (another INTUIT PRODUCT!) to work, and half the time even the login page doesn't work. If I had the time I'd sue the company, switching to ADP today.

Original review: March 13, 2017

ALERT: On behalf of my employer, I have had nothing but issues with this company taking money out of the bank account for payroll. I have called multiple times and have spent HOURS on the phone with these people most recently 3/9/17 speaking with Jason and Joseph, confirming my call was being recorded so there is verification that no more withdrawals were authorized!!! Sure enough today an additional $334.59 is pending to be taken out! I will be contacting our attorney and the NJ Department of banking and Insurance to file a complaint.

A stop payment will be filed with our bank as well. This whole fiasco started in January. I was quoted a price of $267.02 confirmed by email and immediately another email followed with a price of $552.62. After many hours a credit was finally issued. Now there are monthly charges of $2! Called again because they do not process my payroll. I do. Since calling on 3/9/17 and speaking to Joseph, there is a pending charge of $334.59. Every time you call they take out more money!! What kind of scam are you running??

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

Intuit online payroll is the worse service ever. Do yourself a favor. Stay away from this service. I cancelled my subscription with them months ago and they are still charging my account. Called every month for the same issue. They gave me a cancellation number, several times. However, they are still charging me. Closed the business account because of this issue, and believe it or not, they charged my personal account. When calling them with the same issues, over and over again, the customer service has no idea what they are doing. Saying that, I can't stand this company.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2017

It is such a disaster that it's actually making me write it down! Every time I want to access my account - I cannot. Trying to reset password/username - I cannot, it is a loop, constantly driving me to the same point. And when finally I find a way out it says 'server error'. 'Select an option' it says - there are no options!!! Submit a feedback - there was an error, try later! Seriously?! I cannot even submit a feedback of your horrible site because feedback is NOT WORKING!!! There is no way out! You have code errors all over the site!! I feel like it's a joke....

Original review: Dec. 16, 2016

The basic service is adequate but heaven forbid you have a problem. You are then forced to call customer service which is based in the Philippines. The agents speak english, but don't really understand english so it's like talking to a wall. There's just no way to solve a problem with these agents. On top of that, they refuse to transfer you to a supervisor or US based agent. It a joke and complete waste to time. I am canceling my account and moving on the a service with US customer service agents. Do yourself a favor and avoid Intuit Online Payroll like the plague.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2016

This site is one of the worst I have ever used. Every time I log in to see my paycheck, and my company refuses to hand out paper pay stubs, I get an error message saying something goes wrong. This is pathetic and I will refuse to work with Intuit ever again as soon as I leave this job. Every time I log in there is a new gimmick I must go through in order to access my account, which still ends in the error message. This greatly shakes my confidence in this company and makes me wonder if all these "security precautions" aren't actually set up to steal my identity.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2016

We have been with this company since it acquired PayCycle. I started with PayCycle in 2001. We have had very few issues until this past two weeks. We cannot log in. After spending over 3 hours troubleshooting, changing passwords 5 times, clearing cache, etc. I cannot log in. They continue to promise to call me back, since my case has been escalated. At first their excuse for no return call or fixing the issue was that require up to 42 hours; now, that excuse is out the window. It has been over a week and we cannot log on and we cannot do payroll. I call daily and get the same nonsense. I am at wit's end as I have no recourse. Totally handcuffed. I have nowhere to turn.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2016

This is by far the worst payroll service I have ever used, their Tech Support Team is in the Philippines and they barely even speak English. The Online Payroll Service has been down for two days with no resolution time in site. I have two companies on this service and they told me to go to paycheckcity.com and hand calculate each of my 50 employee's paychecks. If we were using Paychex or ADP they would do this for us. Instead they are asking that I pull each employee file and enter them as if they were a brand new employee just to calculate their paychecks. This is so wrong, we need to switch services!!!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2016

Twice in the last 45 days I could not get on Intuit payroll because of so called updates. Why would you do updates during the day when businesses need to access this site for payroll? Qb online notifies you when update will take place because it's planned which makes this sound like it's more than an update... Maybe their security has been improvised? So mad! They have officially lost my business.

Original review: July 20, 2016

We are an accounting firm that uses QuickBooks for our payroll service. We are really not happy with the service we get from Intuit. Not only do they charge for every single little thing, but their customer service has declined. We have one client who uses direct deposit for 2 employees and we've had nothing but problems with Intuit. For months everything was OK but then the payroll got submitted to the wrong bank. That was our problem, but QuickBooks charged a hefty fee for this as well as made it difficult and time consuming to lift a resulting hold on our account. I talked to 3 different foreign customer service people who could not help me, and I finally had to demand to speak to risk management. Risk management helped me but this took me all day to resolve. As a small accounting firm, this really hurts us in many ways as we lose time, money, and then have to answer to our clients when they are upset.

Now today I cannot get a payroll direct deposit to go through. I am being told that there were some limits on the account. No apology or anything from yet again a foreign customer service rep. Instead they are blaming this on me - saying I set some "limit" when I set up the direct deposit. We've direct deposited before with no issues, so why now? When setting up for direct deposit it doesn't ask for limits. So no, this isn't my fault. Meanwhile, I now have to notify my client AGAIN that direct deposit is messed up and have to answer to them for why their paychecks won't be direct deposited on time. I will be surprised if we can salvage this client after this, and am tired of having to apologize for Intuit's mistakes, crap service, etc. Most banks now offer direct pay for employees - if your bank offers this you are better off paying a little extra for this service through your bank because Intuit has given us nothing but issues and isn't really that much cheaper anyways.

Original review: July 12, 2016

The absolutely worst payroll experience ever. Lost all of our payroll information. Customer Support is useless. The level of incompetence is unbelievable! I will be going back to ADP next month.

Original review: July 1, 2016

I purchased QuickBooks payroll service and it has taken me 4 phone calls to get just one employee's check deposited. And my employee just told me that no, it has not been deposited even after I JUST got off the phone and they went through everything and assured me that yes, this time, it was deposited. I checked with my employee and the account number they made me change it to and said was the right one was not. So four days later and hours and hours of phone calls the problem is still not solved. And my hard working employee is not paid and has no paycheck for the 4th of July weekend. Frustrating beyond words.

Original review: June 20, 2016

Intuit really thinks that they make the world spin. Their support center is terrible. Their product has loops in them after you purchase them that will NOT let you do your State Taxes or will NOT let you install properly. Best part is that I will NOT be paying for the software from this year onwards, since I will just buy it and share it with many others in the family and gain the money back from the sharing. It is the ONLY way to combat these bozos who give POOR support, write BAD code and then HANG up on people when you call the support centers (saying Oops). You call the next agent, and they give LIP SERVICE.

They need to be sold to Microsoft or some Chinese company so that they can be lock/stock outsourced to Manila. I am sure that the entire support staff is not like this, but at least some females are, that woke up on the wrong side of the country, which is why this will go to Manila or India very shortly. Good luck Intuit. Getting bigger is not necessarily mean better.

Original review: June 14, 2016

I have been with Intuit since they switched from Quicken. Over the last 3-4 years I have seen a major decrease in customer service, they no longer will support pro advisors unless you go through their certifications, you get the crappiest support from the Philippines and let me tell you about the nightmares they have created. They have screwed three of my QB files up and ended up in the support in Portland to fix. They had a major problem trying to find out what occurred. All you hear is how sorry they are, but of course are they fixing anything? NO... Why do that? Instead they prefer to treat you like crap. After over 20 years of being with them I have been switching my companies over to another software and once I get my last customer over I am going to sing, dance and be merry that I can finally be out from underneath the claws of Intuit.

I look forward to that day, it is my one and only dream anymore, NO MORE INTUIT. To me it is so sad to see how they have fallen in customer support and just don't care. They think they are in every corner of the world but the problem is that if you don't keep up the care and support customers will not remain. As of today my payroll is under another software and I am one step closer to bringing all my companies out of QB, yippee for me.

Original review: May 9, 2016

Intuit Payroll has the worst support!! We have a home care business and use a wonderful software for all of our client and caregiver info. We use Quickbooks with Intuit Payroll (with our software interface) and it is a nightmare! When the interface works, it's fine but when it doesn't there is absolutely no one who knows anything. I have been on the phone for the past 45 minutes with 3 different "payroll specialists" yet no one know seems to know anything. It is so frustrating!!!

Original review: April 9, 2016

We have been QuickBooks for Mac payroll users for over 10 years, and twice the program denied access to our payroll account. The first time 1/31/16 it took us six (6) weeks to correct the problem and we lost the ability to process weekly payroll and quarterly government required reports. The second time was yesterday 4/7/16. I'm done with this. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE. THEY ARE TOTALLY INCOMPETENT.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2016

We had a very similar experience to the guy who reviewed on 1/13/16. My wife had to change her email address but due to what Intuit said was new security software, they were unable to do the change, although they would never admit it. Since we no longer have the old email account, we had no way to access our Intuit account. We contacted Intuit on 5 separate occasions and were given case numbers (different each time) and asked to provide all kinds of identifying data from Articles of Incorporation to a Marriage license.

We were then told that within 5 business days we would be back up and running. Not so, so after another week and another hour plus on the phone we were again asked for all kinds of identifying information to be sent to Intuit including our photos!! Really?? What were they going to compare them with? Each time we would call, the rep would indicate that there was no evidence we had called on earlier occasions even though we gave them all of the case identification numbers they had given us. After a grand total of over 6 man-hours on the phone, my wife and I gave up and cancelled our account. If you are searching for the very worst customer service experience ever and have nothing better to do than sit on a phone waiting for someone to fix your issue, which will never be fixed, I heartily endorse Intuit for you!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2016

When Intuit purchased former company in 2012, our company's first 941 form wasn't submitted successfully to IRS despite my state form DE 6 went through same day with submitting. The company didn't inform us that the form failed to submit. When we uploaded IRS notice requesting the reporting, all Intuit did was archive again, never inform us to hand-file hard copy despite several later attempts to ask them to refile. Customer service have never mentioned about the hard copy file. 3 years later, IRS assesses the penalty. Again, going back to the company was no help. We've got the run around explanation which made no sense, and finally was told that we should refile ourself and pay the penalty. That was totally irresponsible for a reputable company to mistreat customer and wash hand of any incurred penalty due to their mistake!!

Original review: Dec. 25, 2015

I have experienced many issues with this company regarding account access, employee direct deposit, multiple errors across all platforms related to their payroll services. Quite possibly the worst payroll services company I have ever experienced. They fail to meet even the simplest of service like transferring a phone call. It would be a HUGE mistake to trust this company to manage your $. Save yourself WEEKS of stress and pain and look elsewhere for your payroll needs. I made the mistake of using Intuit for my payroll in 2014 & 2015, and at first they were ok, no major issues just tons of little annoying quirks to work out, but then bring in 2015 and the annoying quirks elevated to complete failure. Not sure what happened to this company in 2015, but they should try to refocus by making a list of every active employee and then firing everyone on this list.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

I tried to set up an Intuit account for mobile payments for a newly formed nonprofit. They not only turned us down, but a week later, they cancelled my personal Intuit account. After reading the plethora of complaints, I feel fortunate that neither I nor the nonprofit agency I work for are with them anymore. Based on complaints I've read, their customer service is, at best uncaring and at worst, inept. Dodged that bullet!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2015

They changed the security requirements without notification. I went to run payroll, but couldn't log in any longer. After hours on the phone trying to sort this out, I finally had to manually run my payroll in order to get it out on time. They still charged me for the payroll service, even though I wasn't able to use it. I went to run payroll 3 days in advance so I could get in and catch up the data and run payroll. After hours on the phone, being disconnected 3 times I finally have given up. Here's the kicker, they won't let you cancel your account without logging in!!! Are you kidding me? This is absurd. I've contacted my credit card company to reverse charges. Now I just want Intuit to quit wasting my time.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2015

Today, I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Lee - who I believe was an outsourced customer service rep - at Intuit's payroll department, trying to get the direct deposit of my paycheck to go through like it typically does every other Friday. Normally, I would have received it at 12:00a.m. today (Friday) but this time our bookkeeper didn't transmit payroll until 5:23 a.m. (PT) on Wednesday, December 9, 2015. So now according their rules (2 business days), I will not get paid until Monday 12/14 - which is 5 REAL days later. She has done this before, and so far I haven't had a problem. However, now we do. At issue here is what the benefit is, if any, the customer is really getting out of Intuit's direct deposit payroll service. My employer is on the opposite side of the city but could have written, mailed, adjusted her books, etc, and made her employee a little happier in the time Intuit is "processing" a simple electronic transfer.

I realize it is probably a batch process, but clearly something is wrong when it takes 5 days to get complete a direct deposit. This is not 1988, so I don't understand why a transaction must take that long - business or not - to complete. Where is the convenience in this product? Is it to make Quickbooks accounting easier to do? Well, let me argue that the time I've spent - wasted - on calls, emails, and interactions with our bookkeeper, my employer, and the bank - not to mention the added frustration, stress, and anger dealing with Intuit - far outweighs any positive features of this program. I mean, to be frank, why do I have to call India (on hold for 10 just to speak with someone) to find out why it is taking 5 days to get paid when both my employer and I here in the same city and even have the same bank!

There is simply no economy or justification for using Intuit's payroll service when there are probably countless alternatives out available elsewhere. I did make it known to Lee, the customer service rep, that I was not blaming her and that she did not have to apologize for the b.s. of her company, but I was adamant that the company she is working for sucks! And I told her I will let everyone know it! This product/service may have been a good idea once, but the time has come to kick the garbage that it is to the curb!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2015

My husband's small engineering business ordered payroll checks from Intuit. One month later we received another batch of checks that were not order. And the checks were numbered the same as the original batch of checks and thus were useless. We refused to pay for the 2nd batch that we never ordered and were useless. We even agreed if they renumber them we would pay. Now we have a collection agency harassing us at home.

Intuit expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Intuit Payroll offers small business payroll solutions that help with employee management, including hiring tips and tools, worker’s compensation and methods to pay employees quickly and easily. Businesses can choose from two, do-it-yourself plans or a full-service plan where Intuit does payroll for them.

• Payday features: Intuit Payroll supports 21 pay types including hourly and salary, bonuses and commissions, overtime, vacation, sick time and reimbursements. After you enter hours worked or approve salaries and add overtime and PTO, Intuit will instantly calculate and create paychecks for each employee. With Intuit Online Payroll employees are paid via direct deposit, computer printed paychecks or handwritten paychecks.

• Tax payment features: Intuit Online Payroll sends email reminders when it’s time to pay taxes, tells you how much is owed and lets you pay electronically. Additionally, Intuit Online Payroll sends reminders when it’s time to file your 940 and 941 forms with the state, automatically fills out your federal tax forms and prepares W-2 forms for all employees.

• Workers’ comp features: Most states require businesses to have workers’ compensation insurance. After you set up your Intuit Payroll solution you fill out an online form and their broker, AP Intego, will contact you within one business day to help you find a competitive plan for your needs. Once a plan is chosen, AP Intego links your workers’ comp to Intuit Payroll. This lets you pay only what you owe, cuts out guesswork or estimates on annual payroll and lets you set up automatic payments so you don’t miss deadlines.

• Labor law poster compliance: Intuit Online Payroll keeps track of changes in your state's labor laws and helps your business stay compliant by sending new posters anytime a law change is required. After 12 months, Intuit automatically renews your poster service subscription.

• Pricing: Intuit Payroll has two do-it-yourself payroll solutions: Basic and Enhanced. The Basic plan is $20 plus $2 per employee per month. The Enhanced plan is $31 plus $2 per employee per month. For companies that want payroll done for them, Intuit offers the Full-Service plan at $79 plus $2 per employee per month.

• Best for: small business looking for a user-friendly online payroll service.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs