Intuit - Payroll

Intuit Payroll

3.7/5 (137 ratings)

About Intuit Payroll

Intuit is a service small businesses can use to manage payroll and access human resource services. It can calculate, file and pay business payroll taxes automatically. Intuit’s flagship products are TurboTax, QuickBooks and Mint. The company is in 20 locations across nine countries.

Intuit - Payroll Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - Payroll?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - Payroll?

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

Terrible customer service. You get the run around when you need a question answered. Question never gets answered. End up spending hours trying to figure out why their program exports incorrectly. You end up manually inputting everything. What a waste of money.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

We are a small business and we were with Paycycle for years. They had great service. Since they merged their platform earlier this year on Intuit we have had nothing but problems. Whether I call in or use the chat I get the runaround. No one seems to know how to handle what should be easy issues. I end up on phone and chat for hours. I recently had a more extensive issue which needed a payroll specialist. It was like it went into a cloud. I started the process in July when I didn't get an answer called back. Was told could not speak to payroll backend dept but could email them. Tried that, I don't think it is a monitored email because no matter how many times emailed did not get a response back. Called back again, supposedly escalated and was supposed to get a call back from the Manager. Never got a callback. When I called back, they did not have an escalation in system.

They supposedly re-escalated, told me about the email again which does not work. End result in October (3 months later) I get an email no explanation saying they have canceled my request as they have deemed it was not needed. No explanation on why. I call back and they reach a payroll person who relays to the customer service that it is past the IRS deadline and I have to contact IRS myself. Insane!!! 3 months of my time wasted and back to zero. Now my new one is that even though I do not have QuickBooks payroll, somehow the accounts are crossed in the back system. I am trying to rehire and can't because of an error in their system. I have already been on chat going in circles for an hour!! We are done!! Time to move to a new payroll company.

Get buying tips about Payroll Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

For my small business I enrolled Intuit payroll for my payroll as I am platinum preferred customer with Bank of America. There is no good service with intuit, for several requests to get help filing taxes online which is their feature that comes with service nobody helped for several requests. Finally I cancelled the service on Jan 5th 2021 and they keep charging me the service fee until I uncover and when I reported of incorrect charges they say that I reactivated the service. I never received an email that I am enrolled/reactivated this service. However, I have confirmation of cancellation of service and which I believed they won't charge.

When I called today they first said they can't refund and later they refunded 1 month and when I argued with them they refunded 2 months and says that's max they can do, irrespective of 6 months they charged for nothing. This is bad company, bad service and worst response when reported something. Small business owners work hard and they don't have time to fight with these companies for having them on phone arguing over and over again for hours. Don't recommend this to any business owners out here in Maryland or for that matter other states. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I was unable to log in the usual way this pay period and spent hours trying to get help. It is an endless loop of chat agents who send links that take you on a circular journey. I used to be able to reach phone support easily but now I could talk to the president more easily than a human at QB Payroll. Plus they are expensive and don't cover penalties when they mess up your tax filing. It has been a struggle to use the service since I signed back up in June. I can do manual payroll with less time and frustration. I finally called it quits with QB payroll!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

We are a church. A non profit. We needed to change email address. The service people are clueless. We sent all that was asked for and they still could not effect a simple email change. But this is just the latest in a string of continual problems which the tech service people are clueless to provide service. I do not recommend this product.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

30 minutes for Intuit to transfer me to the correct department. Still on hold 15 minutes and holding. The service I pay for is "Premium, Full Service". Furthest thing from the truth. Intuit is probably the worst customer service I've ever had the displeasure to be subjected too. Stay away!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Intuit forced us to switch to their "new" Quickbooks Online Payroll and it really sucks and costs too much. No support. Wacky invoices. No reports, hard to find what you need. No flexibility at all. Take a look at this invoice they sent me: Jul 19, 2021 - Aug 19, 2021. Service Charge*: $45.00. Employee Surcharge**: $8.00. Multistate Support Surcharge***: $0.00. Total amount billed to account ending in....$159.00. This is from a company that supposedly specializes in accounting software? It doesn't add up at all. And there is no one to explain it. You can't email them. They had become almost a monopoly so I guess they decided they no longer had to provide a product. Intuit is just coasting on their reputation and raking in the bucks. But they do have some competitors now, and believe me, I'll be checking them out.

Original review: June 23, 2021

Your Service is terrible. You're a publicly-traded company. You would think it would be better. How about spending some money on customer support in the USA. Left their payroll. The system constantly doesn't send out ACH. I do like that the detail of the employees is in QuickBooks but that about it. We moved to Paychex. So far it is much easier and cheaper!

Original review: June 21, 2021

Our story same as other reviews recently; great service for years. Then, last year, service started to suffer, starting with the fact it was impossible to talk to a live person. Then in May 2021, Intuit locked our payroll account for "suspicious activity" after nearly 20 years of doing biz with them. Then, in trying to unlock our account, I tried for 20+ hours to get a person on the phone (lockout message said I had to TALK to Risk Management Assessment Team Member, which no one could reach, apparently), I finally gave up. I cancelled my assisted payroll.

I just got off a chat as I had a question about the stupid message that pops up saying "you have checks to send!" and "Your payroll is late!". As soon as I entered the info in the chat box, the rep said he "wasn't trained to answer that question". Quickbooks Assisted Payroll is worthless. My advice: subscribe to a local payroll service and save yourself a lot of time & aggravation. (BTW, I had just renewed our subscription to Assisted Payroll...$300 and 2 weeks later, they cancel us.) Save your money and go to a service who CARES about their customers.

Original review: May 22, 2021

Was a customer for several years paying thousands per year for payroll services. In 2020 at depths of the pandemic, Intuit forced an $299 software upgrade or "we'll stop processing your payroll." Paid the extortion fee for the upgrade in time, yet they stopped my payroll anyway (you have to both buy it AND log into the payroll service even if you have no payroll that quarter). After years of paying them, absolutely no notice whatsoever to me just a sudden stop of all of my filings.

Several thousand of dollars in penalties later, and after hours on the phone, they had the nerve to withdraw several hundred dollars from my business accounts to add insult to injury AFTER they've ceased my payroll, and the rep I finally reached after hours on hold told me, "Yep, that's how it is, sorry to say. It sucks, but it's how it is." In other words, "You're screwed, too bad. Thanks for your money." I feel sorry for everyone else who must use this company. I've moved onto another payroll service, can't wait to purge Intuit completely from my life. I used to invest in the company but now feel dirty doing so. This is the worst type of company, the worst type of business, the worst example of how to run a business.

Intuit - Payroll author review by Loy Loveless

Intuit Payroll offers small business payroll solutions that help with employee management, including hiring tips and tools, worker’s compensation and methods to pay employees quickly and easily. Businesses can choose from two, do-it-yourself plans or a full-service plan where Intuit does payroll for them.

• Payday features: Intuit Payroll supports 21 pay types including hourly and salary, bonuses and commissions, overtime, vacation, sick time and reimbursements. After you enter hours worked or approve salaries and add overtime and PTO, Intuit will instantly calculate and create paychecks for each employee. With Intuit Online Payroll employees are paid via direct deposit, computer printed paychecks or handwritten paychecks.

• Tax payment features: Intuit Online Payroll sends email reminders when it’s time to pay taxes, tells you how much is owed and lets you pay electronically. Additionally, Intuit Online Payroll sends reminders when it’s time to file your 940 and 941 forms with the state, automatically fills out your federal tax forms and prepares W-2 forms for all employees.

• Workers’ comp features: Most states require businesses to have workers’ compensation insurance. After you set up your Intuit Payroll solution you fill out an online form and their broker, AP Intego, will contact you within one business day to help you find a competitive plan for your needs. Once a plan is chosen, AP Intego links your workers’ comp to Intuit Payroll. This lets you pay only what you owe, cuts out guesswork or estimates on annual payroll and lets you set up automatic payments so you don’t miss deadlines.

• Labor law poster compliance: Intuit Online Payroll keeps track of changes in your state's labor laws and helps your business stay compliant by sending new posters anytime a law change is required. After 12 months, Intuit automatically renews your poster service subscription.

• Pricing: Intuit Payroll has two do-it-yourself payroll solutions: Basic and Enhanced. The Basic plan is $20 plus $2 per employee per month. The Enhanced plan is $31 plus $2 per employee per month. For companies that want payroll done for them, Intuit offers the Full-Service plan at $79 plus $2 per employee per month.

by Loy Loveless Payroll Services Expert

A Certified Payroll Professional since 1993, Loy Loveless has mastered the payroll service industry in a variety of business settings. She has completed the Global Certificate Program with the American Payroll Association and is an active member of the Dallas Chapter APA.

Intuit - Payroll Company Information