1.17/5
Based on 106 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

119 Intuit Payroll Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I've been a long term client of Intuit's. Our payroll is a bit seasonal and in Q2 I had no payroll. At the beginning of Q3, the next quarter in which I had payroll, they added a form to my to do list telling me it is delinquent and cannot be filed online. It was delinquent when they added it to my to do list. When I contacted them, here was their response:

"We do not deny the failure that happened. That is something I want to take emphasis on. However, the responsibility I am talking about is the filing. We are one medium of filing the forms, but not the only. The tax handling is an additional feature to the payroll program and the ability to run payroll and process direct deposits still remain to be functional during the said times when this happened."

"9.5 disclaimer. You assume full responsibility for the use of the payroll service to achieve your intended purposes, for the proper installation and use of the payroll service and for verifying the results obtained from use of the payroll service. Intuit and its suppliers disclaim any warranty that the functions contained in the payroll service will meet your requirements or that the operation of the payroll service will be uninterrupted or error free."

Net findings from dealing with Intuit:
1. You cannot trust their software.
2. They will not stand behind it.
3. They have no problem being paid for a job they did not do.

4. Because you cannot trust them, do not use their software.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We are long time users of Quickbook Enterprise and also using Intuit Assisted Payroll Services for 5+ years. Our experience was very good so far but recently there was bug in software and they have deducted $16K in total more for Medicare taxes from employees accounts and we have raised the ticket/case for last 10 weeks and no resolution or answer. We are having very hard time communicating to our employees. Customer support folks are polite but have no clue to help. There is no way to get any answer. We are stuck and can't change the services in between too. Very painful experience.

Get expert buying tips about Payroll Services delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

They have screwed up now two tax payments, once was all W2 to state, would not supply letter to state explaining that they screwed up, horrible customer service. Now doing the same thing again with Oregon State Transit Taxes, they sent emails it was going to be fixed by 10/24/18, not fixed, no follow up, have to submit myself. Customer service useless again. Do not use, horrible product, horrible service.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I can't say anything good! I have had nothing but problems. The service is awful. Nothing works the way it is supposed to. Every time I call for help they give me another project. This system was supposed to save me time, not increase my time spent doing payroll by over 10 times. UGH. I have only had system for two weeks and I HATE it. I wish I could switch but don't want to cause more headaches for my staff! Save yourself and choose something else.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Paycycle.com was an excellent company with consistently prompt, accurate, hassle-free, and very friendly customer services on all payroll related manners - a FIVE STAR company for years. UNTIL 2009. Intuit acquired the company for $170 Million. Then all headed downhill. It eliminated all US support for Enhanced Services (which is what we have). After 9 years, our company of 9 is paying 70% more, with inaccessible customer service, absolutely no support in the US. It does feel though we are using an India based software. The most recent disaster was that Intuit failed to file our CT-941 (A State QUARTERLY return) that resulted in over $1000 penalty. A drastic departure from what it used to be. RUN, RUN, RUN!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

They don't seem to care that their bad phone and online records service led to the penalties. I think this company is on the way out. Or it should be going away. "I'm sorry this happened to you," was all they could offer when it became clear that it was their fault. Not only did the they guide me through a process that would result in getting penalized for not paying taxes, but their automated system didn't catch the problem either. Everything looked great on my dashboard. All items in the "To Do" list were completed by the first of the year. Just wait six months and a notice from the California Franchise Tax board comes saying I owe about ten times more in penalties than original tax. I have no idea yet what the IRS penalties are going to be, but the word, "substantial" comes to mind. Another word comes to mind when considering Intuit's lack of caring, "unconscionable."

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE! Intuit Payroll services partnered with Bank of America Small Business account holders. I cannot express the frustration of taxes being withdrawn from my business account and not paid; e-filings that 'didn't go through'; failure to contact me when e-filings didn't go through; blaming me for Intuit Payroll electronic failures. Payroll is outsourced and 'Intuit Representatives' are in the Philippines. These persons representing Intuit have a very bad command of the English language and, to date, still unable to 'fix the electronic and failure to pay taxes' my company experienced as a result of electronic failures.

MANY phone calls to them! MANY times I was told the problem would be resolved! MANY times I was told someone would return my call in 24 hours with solutions! Ultimately the liability and burden was dumped on me. My accountant had to get involved, contacted the State to determine what happened to the deposits and filings, ultimately fixed the failures of e-filings and e-deposits INTUIT never made. After months of complaining to Intuit Payroll the fact I had evidence they took corporate tax monies out of business account, didn't pay the business taxes, and them arguing with me that it didn't happen, the money was finally returned. Bad business!

Original review: July 18, 2018

The user interface is slow, keeps crashing and is limited in functionality. While the service reps try they have mislead me numerous times about what the product can or cannot track. Intuit changes features without letting users know so it is a surprise every time process payroll. Would never use again.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Logging on is an adventure in total annoyance and misdirection. And God forbid one tries to get any type of support after hours. If you have employees with direct deposit - forget this service! Because it might take you days to log in and thus you miss the deadline for these employees.

Original review: June 27, 2018

I have no access to anything. Nobody has knowledge. You have to call every time and wait on hold 1 hour. They don't give you access to anything. The info on file is incorrect. They won't correct it. You talk to people that act like robots reading off a script. Do yourself a favor and go to another payroll company. They get an F from me.

Original review: June 19, 2018

This is my issue with Intuit Payroll: I pay a considerable fee monthly for the service -- it's not cheap -- and once again, I cannot access my account because the site is "temporarily unavailable" due to technical difficulties -- again. I juggle several jobs, and I rely on the ability to process payroll online after-hours (late at night)... so, when I cannot do my job because the website is frequently undergoing maintenance, it infuriates me. Why am I paying for a service I cannot access at my convenience?!

Original review: April 3, 2018

This company, I have been using Intuit online for accountants for 1.5 years now. Within the last 6-8 months I have 2 separate tax issues caused by Intuit. I call to report this issue, customer service states they are aware of the issue yet they do not let the consumers know they have screwed up. I'm, right now, working on my 4th tax issue with Intuit. This current tax issue is regarding the 941 deposit scheduling. The other two tax issues, Intuit filed all of my client's unemployment quarterly forms wrong resulting in them having amend 2nd quarter and then file 3rd quarter. The next tax issue is with the Ohio School District tax withholding. Intuit, even though the employee is set up to withhold school district tax, is not withholding the money from paychecks.

Original review: March 24, 2018

My small employer had to drop Intuit payroll processing, since not once but twice our paychecks were mysteriously stalled, making us wait several additional days each time. Support is beyond trash, as well. STAY AWAY!

Original review: March 6, 2018

Stay away from this product at all costs. Chat and phone support takes FOREVER to respond. Entries will be made into your Quickbooks Ledger that no one can explain. You'll get bounced back and forth between Payroll and Quickbooks (one will transfer you to the other).

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I like using Quickbooks Payroll. Maybe it's because we pay for assisted payroll and I have quick access to a real person when I have a problem. But the process is pretty intuitive from setting up customers and employees to getting everyone paid. If you can use a checkbook and operate Microsoft Windows, you can figure out this program.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

Intuit QuickBooks payroll is a nightmare. Don’t ever use it. The service is TERRIBLE! If you encounter a problem processing payroll–and rest assured, you will–you will have to call its Manila connection, where you will have to endure a 20 minute wait on the phone before talking to someone who cannot assist you. And even if you reach someone in the States, you are forced to jump through hoops to try to get it resolved, if you are fortunate enough to get it resolved. I found the service AWFUL! And you cannot file a complaint because the customer service representatives refuse to give their last names, and, besides, you have no one to complain to. My grade for Intuit QuickBooks payroll? F-.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

Intuit support could not fix the issue of an unauthorized charge being charged to my CC. I spent in excess of 5 hours on the phone with support, being bounce from dept to dept. To finally being told I needed to report my card stolen so the number would change and they could no longer charge to that card. Never give Intuit Payroll your CC.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I wish there was a negative star rating because it is probably the only thing Intuit payroll service is worthy of. The system isn’t difficult to use but there seems to be regular issues that arise requiring calls in to customer service. I have no issue with offshore support...except when they have absolutely no clue with the US system. I blame Intuit for terrible training. After extremely long hold times whenever you call, your frustration peaks because support has no clue and keeps repeating apparent script rather than listening and trying to understand. I’ve even had one hang up on me when I asked her to please stop talking and listen to what I was trying to explain. From the initial setup to numerous calls since, I’ve never had an issue resolved in one call. I’d switch to another service but since I’m using QuickBooks I’m fearful to use something not compatible. If you have the option, avoid Intuit Payroll!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

Spoke with customer service for almost half an hour, explaining that taxes needed to be withdrawn from an employee's paycheck in April, just got W2s, it never happened. Now I'm stuck with hundreds in penalties. Steady decline in competence over the last two years. THEY JUST DON'T CARE.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I sold my business last February and told them to charge whatever fee and cost to close-out my account. They said it would be 2 weeks. I gave them 2 months before closing my business account. They charge to the close out and but me as bad payer with their risk department. They did not even charge me about it that they could not charge to the close-out. They would not talk to me till I will the money to the risk department with different name and business. I did paid it and they assured me that they would do the filing at year-end.

I called them back and they said they cannot help me anymore because of the close account. I told them that I am not in business no more and willing to pay extra to process the late paperwork but they refuse to talked to me and said they cannot because I broke the contract agreement. When they closed out charges did not go thru. They would not take responsibility that they forgot to do it and would not take any action to help me file the necessary paperwork. I figured because they don't want to be legally liable for late filing on my behalf... Don't use Intuit... Beware.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

To reset my password to get in after I forgot it, I would have to know the net pay on my last paycheck. Need to bug accounting, since I can't get into this website to find it. Ridiculous. Social security number should be more than enough.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

I started with Intuit when it was still Paycycle many years ago. In the last several years I have seen nothing but a steady decline in the product and HATE processing payroll with this program. The last two years the system just stopped withholding school district taxes from random employees. When I called customer service to inquire the customer service reps had no idea what school district withholding even was and offered no fix. As far as I know they still have not corrected the issue. I get periodic emails telling me they are working on it. It takes forever to move between screens. Often I get notices that the change I was trying to process was not saved and for the last several months I have received notices that I have tried to log in too many times and my account has been locked.

No one at the company seems to care at all that their product is absolute garbage. I did receive one request to fill out a review of the company. I was completely honest in my disappointment and provided many details of all the issues I have faced. I never heard anything from the company on it and feel it was a complete waste of time. Stay away from this product if you are looking for a good payroll processing product, this is NOT it!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I had to change my business checking account due to theft of information. I have auto pay set up for my tax payments. The bank rejected one of my tax payments in error. I received notification from Intuit via email. I contacted Intuit to find out if they could reissue the rejected payment, and if not, would my end of year tax information be correct if I paid manually.

I was on the phone for 34 minutes. The young women from India was very nice, but clearly didn't know what she was doing or what she was talking about! She needed me to send her the email that I received from Intuit??? I'm so tired of wasting my time on companies that outsource "customer service" overseas. Give me the option to speak to customer service in the U.S. I will pay more for that option! You are missing the boat on a differentiator and another revenue stream.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

I have not been able to process my payroll without serious issues for over 6 weeks. The software is full of glitches, has severe latency problems and does not work. It takes 30 minutes or more to get anyone on the phone and they state there is no fix available and can't tell me when it will be fixed. The service and product have consistently gotten worse over time. I asked to speak with a manager and they can't offer any help. They told me they have no idea when it will be fixed and many customers are having the same problems. I need to spend 2 to 3 hours doing payroll weekly rather than about 15 minutes. This is the worst payroll company!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Two weeks ago I was unable to login in to my QB payroll account to process payroll. I contact Intuit and they confirmed there was an issue with QB for Mac and even they couldn't login. They provided a website suggestion for me to use when processing payroll. Payroll was quite a bit more process than normal due to having to review ALL employee files to enter tax filing data. So excuse me for believing I was due some credit towards my service since the product didn't work.

Intuit bills a month in advance so when I received my invoice I contacted Intuit about the missing credit and was advised they are not offering any type of compensation to customers for the issue since it affected all customers who use the product. So since ALL customers were affected they get choose to keep the revenue paid by customers for a product that didn't provide the service. Okay. No wonder corporate profits are doing so well. Very poor customer service. If I tried to charge my customers for services not rendered, I probably wouldn’t have any customers.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Stay away from Direct Deposit. I will keep you informed but to date I spoke with 4 representatives over 5 days all assuring me not to worry that funds were not debited to pay employees and employees would be paid on time. Then told it would be delayed until 10/2... 3 days later than scheduled so I advised employees. 10/2 I was told no pay until 10/4. Their support cannot communicate clearly and terribly inaccurate. Still they charged me $100 for out-of-normal payroll.

Original review: July 12, 2017

Unfortunate customer service: I've been a long standing user and proponent of QuickBooks and Intuit Online Payroll. I started my account when a company called Paycycle owned the site. Unfortunately, they eventually sold out to Intuit and now their brand name is Intuit Online Payroll. In the beginning, Paycycle was outstanding. Their customer service made you feel as though they really cared for you as a client. I run a small accounting firm and found that its ease of use and integration with QuickBooks made it perfect for my size office with our smaller client base. There were instances where a problem was found in their system and they, without my asking, offered me a full month's credit on my account which at the time was just over $300 per month. At this point, we've grown a bit and my monthly access fees are approximately $430.

While processing quarterly reports for my state for one of my clients, it was discovered that their system was miscalculating the unemployment excess wage calculation. When pulling reports, it was clear that one specific employee was not over the threshold but Intuit was calculating that it was. I contacted Intuit via chat, first off I understand they are busy right at the end of a quarter but I manned my screen until I got distracted several minutes later. By the time I looked again, they had disconnected the chat. In my second attempt, being the longstanding client that I am, I was proactive and gave them my info to verify my security and typed my question and came back periodically to see if it had an answer. The agent had come on and asked how I was doing... since I didn't answer she wrote that she would be disconnecting - without even addressing my question!

What a waste of time, to ignore my question and disconnect simply because I didn't answer how I was? FRUSTRATED! That's how I am! Next, the agent asked me to pull a report showing the excess wages, which I did but she said her info was different and not coming up with the same information. How could this be? After several attempts to get her to understand, I asked to speak with her supervisor. He came on and said the same thing! He said the employee had met the threshold. Then he asked me to pull a report for the entire year. I'm processing 2nd quarter reports, that period ends on 6/30. So even if the employee reached the threshold in July, that has no bearing on 2nd quarter. Anyone with an ounce of experience with payroll should know this. After about another 20 minutes of trying to get my point across he finally understood.

He came back on to tell me there was a "bump" in their system but it had been fixed... whatever that means. HOW IS THIS OK? Aren't they responsible for providing accurate information? How can I assure my clients that I can provide accurate tax reporting? He apologized but what does that amount to? I then had to ask about a credit. He offered me $12. Said that's the best he could do. Does that sound "apologetic" to you, for the amount of time spent trying to "train" their agent, and their supervisor how to pull a report to reflect information that is inaccurate for a certain quarter. I do not recommend Intuit Payroll, sadly there are not a lot of other providers out there but I'll be looking...

Original review: June 27, 2017

In September of last year a temp employee signed our business up for Quickbooks payroll without the company knowing about it used the owner's name and credit card. Just discovered this today and I made several attempts to cancel the payroll subscription that we do not need. The policy at Quickbooks is that they won't do anything unless they speak to the owner. I am the manager here and have complete authority to act on behalf of the business. Even knowing all the private data on the account no one would help or even transfer me to a supervisor.

Consequently, I then went to the Quickbooks Facebook page and contacted them via Messenger. They answered me and said they would help and then came back with the same story. I have asked to file a complaint. I went back into the Quickbooks site and tried to cancel our credit card that was on file and the message came up "You can't cancel a card that is being used to pay for one of your subscriptions." Should call them Quack books.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I had an account for 2 years with Intuit. Due to being hacked on the business account I had to close my account and open another one. I gave Intuit my new account information the same day. The day before they paid my payroll. Less than a week later I get a phone call that if I don't wire money that my bill will go into collections. I called Intuit and said due to medical reasons that I was not able to go to the bank and wire money. They treated me like a criminal saying that if I don't wire the money that the bill go into collections. I asked them if I could pay by check or debit card or if they could use my new card on file and all answers were denied. When I asked to speak to someone higher I was told that there was no one higher. UNBELIEVABLE I am practically begging them to take my money in any other way than wiring it and being threatened that if I don't wire the money that it will go into collection.

And when I threatened to get a lawyer because they REFUSED to take my money due to me being unable to go to the bank... they end up hanging up on me. Wouldn't the most decent thing have been... to call me... informing me that payment was not processed properly and ask me for a different payment option instead of putting my bill with less than a week into a collection agency?

Original review: May 8, 2017

I've been using Intuit Online Payroll since it was PayCycle and it's just gotten worse over time. The interface is bare bones and not user-friendly at all, when you try to click on the "Help" button it says "file not found", and if you want to look up any reports they are hidden under a confusing tree of sub-menus that never seem to get you to the right place. I'm often receiving notices from the IRS that my taxes were miscalculated so I think there's some wrong with the way they are calculating things. The final straw was when I tried to switch to Payroll through Costco, as I believed it would save me money, but during the signup process I found out it would actually be more expensive once the trial period was over.

I was assured that my service level would go back to normal. Later on I found out that I had lost my ability to print quarterly wage and tax reports and when I called support I spoke to several people in the Philippines who said there was nothing that could be done because my original service level didn't exist anymore. They refused to transfer me to a manager and just kept saying that all they could do was give me a free month of their more expensive service to try it out. I'm going to ADP to see if they can do any better than these idiots!

Intuit expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Intuit Payroll offers small business payroll solutions that help with employee management, including hiring tips and tools, worker’s compensation and methods to pay employees quickly and easily. Businesses can choose from two, do-it-yourself plans or a full-service plan where Intuit does payroll for them.

• Payday features: Intuit Payroll supports 21 pay types including hourly and salary, bonuses and commissions, overtime, vacation, sick time and reimbursements. After you enter hours worked or approve salaries and add overtime and PTO, Intuit will instantly calculate and create paychecks for each employee. With Intuit Online Payroll employees are paid via direct deposit, computer printed paychecks or handwritten paychecks.

• Tax payment features: Intuit Online Payroll sends email reminders when it’s time to pay taxes, tells you how much is owed and lets you pay electronically. Additionally, Intuit Online Payroll sends reminders when it’s time to file your 940 and 941 forms with the state, automatically fills out your federal tax forms and prepares W-2 forms for all employees.

• Workers’ comp features: Most states require businesses to have workers’ compensation insurance. After you set up your Intuit Payroll solution you fill out an online form and their broker, AP Intego, will contact you within one business day to help you find a competitive plan for your needs. Once a plan is chosen, AP Intego links your workers’ comp to Intuit Payroll. This lets you pay only what you owe, cuts out guesswork or estimates on annual payroll and lets you set up automatic payments so you don’t miss deadlines.

• Labor law poster compliance: Intuit Online Payroll keeps track of changes in your state's labor laws and helps your business stay compliant by sending new posters anytime a law change is required. After 12 months, Intuit automatically renews your poster service subscription.

• Pricing: Intuit Payroll has two do-it-yourself payroll solutions: Basic and Enhanced. The Basic plan is $20 plus $2 per employee per month. The Enhanced plan is $31 plus $2 per employee per month. For companies that want payroll done for them, Intuit offers the Full-Service plan at $79 plus $2 per employee per month.

• Best for: small business looking for a user-friendly online payroll service.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs