Intuit - Payroll

Intuit Payroll

3.9/5 (469 ratings)

About Intuit Payroll

Intuit is a service small businesses can use to manage payroll and access human resource services. It can calculate, file and pay business payroll taxes automatically. Intuit’s flagship products are TurboTax, QuickBooks and Mint. The company is in 20 locations across nine countries.

Intuit - Payroll Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - Payroll?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - Payroll?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

We recently transitioned from a paper based system to Quick Books payroll/Direct Deposit. Our first iteration has been a disaster. Confirmations were received about DD payments but QB didn't process the payments. There is an arbitrary limit set by Intuit but you don't know until after the DD is complete. Account spent days on the phone with Intuit. Still not fixed a week later. We sent paper checks to employees/contractors. We are exploring other options. Would NOT use QB to manage my shoelaces!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

When preparing payroll - sometimes you have to "suspend" the process in the "middle" and return to finish at a later time - SAME DAY!! If you have adjusted the "pay date" to a Friday due to the "pay date" falling on the weekend, if you have to "suspend" processing for an hour or two, when you come back to complete the payroll, Quickbooks has CHANGED the pay date back to whatever weekend date it originally had when you started!!!! Frankly, this STINKS!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I have been using QuickBooks/Intuit since I started my business in April of this year. QuickBooks has been a fine software for my business, however, Intuit has been another story. The first issue occurred in October when I ran payroll, and they deducted the pay for one of my employees twice. Her pay was held for about 3 days, and then the correct amount was deposited into her account. The remaining was put back into my account. This was a problem, but it was resolved. The issue we incurred this month has been much more significant. Once again, my employees pay was drafted from my account twice. However, this time the issue has not been resolved.

I have called QuickBooks 5 times, and spoken to 4 different people. Everyone has provided a different answer as to how the money will hit the account, but everyone has been consistent with the issue taking 48 hours. The money has never been deposited to my business account, or my employees personal account. In fact, it has now been held for over 2 weeks, and my employee is extremely upset. If they were able to resolve the issue in a timely manner this would be a different story. However, it is extremely upsetting that a large payroll company is holding my employees pay well past the legal limit of when she should have been paid. I wish I had read some reviews before I had used this company for my business.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I had a small business I had to close. After I closed with Intuit and closed my business checking account of which Intuit used to withdraw their exorbitant monthly fees, they continued to attempt to withdraw from my closed account. They next are threatening with exorbitant fees and will only allow you to wire transfer the money (which adds to the costs) to them. NO opportunity to write a check. Then they do not want to close your account so that they can continue to attempt to withdraw money out of your account so they can continue to charge you exorbitant fees and threaten with credit collection agencies. This company is a dishonest company. NEVER give them your banking information for any reason. DO NOT USE.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

Customer for 30+ years, retired 8/31/19, cancelled service after retirement sometime in September. Needed to file last quarter 941 (due in Oct). All info was imputed while still a subscriber. Intuit made me reactivate my subscription just to print out out the 941 report and charged me a minimum $45. They also informed me I will have to reactivate my account again in January to print out W-2's. Even though payroll stopped at retirement. Evidently a long time loyal customer or any customer for that matter, deserves no consideration when closing down a business or retiring. Not even to just print out a form. Sounds a little greedy to me.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I am sorry to read all these posts when searching for QB Payroll today. I am a very well trained QB ProAdvisor - and it even happened to me because business owners are busy working and these systems are supposed to help us not cause more damage. I had penalties and late filings and over two years after cancellation, I am STILL getting bi-monthly payroll and payday reminders. It makes me very nervous about the security of my data there. Has anyone taken legal action against Intuit Payroll? All your messages are sadly familiar to me. There are better options, even on a budget.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

I purchased the 2019 Payroll Subscription through Amazon as I have been doing for the past 5 years. I purchased the 2019 subscription 3 months ago and every month my payroll account is suspended or cancelled. I got an email from QuickBooks today advising me that my cancellation has been processed as I requested. No, I did not request a cancellation. Every month QuickBooks gives me a new service key to re-activate my subscription. The QuickBooks' representative told me today that Amazon is at fault for the subscription cancellations even though the cancellation notices come from QuickBooks. QuickBooks is really good at not taking responsibility for their product and giving their customer the runaround. I know... I have been dealing with QuickBooks for 20+ years.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I have been using Quickbooks for about 20 years. I recently (last 5 years) started using their payroll capability. This spring I decided to go with ePay for all my quarterly payroll taxes. To my dismay, I had entered the bank account number incorrectly so all of the payments were returned by the bank incurring penalties for each occurrence. It is hard to believe that QuickBooks makes you believe that everything has gone perfectly when they cannot do a simple inquiry to your account to verify it! This is the 21st century people! Like so many other services that we use today (internet, garbage collection, telephone) this company is now a monopoly that is able to get away with with abuse of its customers because there is no affordable yet viable alternative.

Original review: July 29, 2019

I have been a Intuit online payroll customer for the last 8 years. Own 4 separate businesses and 3 of them I signed up via Costco. Their Costco relationship ended last year. Received an email May 2019 about their fees changing in July 2019. The email stated that fees would be $24.00 for subscription and $2.00 per employee. I thought cool, the surcharge is going down from $28.00. What the email should have stated was that the per employee was going up to $4.00. More that doubling my payroll per employee. When I called support they didn't believe me. Had to upload a copy of the email. The next day I received a credit. And not on the business I called to complain about.

It's now Monday and I can't pull payroll reports because they are having their normal technical glitch. I have been waiting 20 minutes on hold to ask about the credit for my other account and their technical glitch. When January comes I'm moving all 4 of my accounts to someone other cloud base software or figure out how to do it myself. I am so disgusted with Intuit.

Original review: May 22, 2019

Today, I had the pleasure of experiencing the most appalling treatment I've ever received from the Supervisor of Intuit Full Service Payroll, Jessica **. In January, 2019, I attempted to sign up as a customer for Intuit Full Service Payroll. I hopped on a call to get on boarded and was informed by the sales agent that they would not be able to provide service for my Company due to the employees not living in the United States. No problem at all, I said, and moved on with my day. My Company does thousands of transactions a month, and I happened to notice, today, May 22, 2019, that buried in my financial statements I was billed for Intuit Full Service Payroll for the last few months.

Darn, I thought to myself, as I Googled the customer support number to make what I thought would be a routine phone call to Intuit to get a refund for the account that never was. Golly, was I wrong, as what ended up taking an entire hour out of my busy resulted in me essentially being told by Jessica **, the supervisor of Intuit Full Service Payroll, to essentially go ** Myself, and that they would only be giving me a refund for one month. The notes in the customer support ticket dated January clearly noted they would not be able to open my account and to close it. Then why am I still being billed?! Well, apparently, they opened a second account for me, which also never made it through onboarding, and was not capable of providing me service!

Clearly an internal system error on their end. I've never even logged in since January and was told clearly by Intuit no service could be provided to me. But big boss lady Jessica, high on her Supervisor role power trip, tells me that they can't refund for nonusage!! You can't refund for nonusage when you told me I can't use your service and that you would cancel my account then went on to bill me for several months? Your system apparently created another account for me that I never used but get billed for? Even though I'm not allowed to use it? That is called stealing - when you take money from someone without their permission and refuse to give it back!

As someone who has built businesses based on customer experience and feedback for the last 7 years, Jessica ** provided one of the worst and most unreasonable experiences I have ever witnessed. All of the customer support agents that went back and forth with me, before passing me along to their big bad boss Jessica, all agreed with me and said it's ridiculous they aren't going to issue me a full refund. American Express has been notified to issue a chargeback to my account for your Company's fraudulent charges against me. Recommendation to all potential Intuit customers - stay far away - they are predators who will do whatever it takes to steal your money.

Original review: May 1, 2019

I purchased QuickBooks with the payroll services that clearly was marked free payroll services for one employee upon purchase. I only have one active employee, this should work good for my extremely small business. Well once you input your bank account or credit card number you messed up big time. I was charged right away for a subscription fee of over $500 because I listed more than one but never activated the other. So I still have only one employee and never ran payroll on him through this software. Called the day I got the first charge and cancelled on the spot.

One year later I get another $506 charge for renewal fees. Are you kidding me. Thanks to this unexpected expenses my bank account went negative and bank charges are adding up. When called they agreed to reimburse in 3-5 business days. Since this is Wednesday looks like it will late next week. In the meantime I’ll be eating jam (2 pieces of bread) sandwiches. Don’t be foolish enough to waste your hard earned money.

Original review: March 31, 2019

All info is correct, and Intuit will not send any notification emails about my paycheck anymore. I will have to use a different payroll service since Intuit doesn't care about fixing their email problems.

Original review: March 14, 2019

They are incompetent. It is mid-March and we have 5 states that have not been filled as well our our Federal 940 and Q4 941. Each email we send takes up to 21 days to get a response. In addition, our Texas Q4 report received several notices all of which were forwarded to the taxnoticeresolution email address. The response we got was, "We have made several attempts to reach out to the Texas Workforce Commission tax agent for additional information in order to research your tax notice and have been unsuccessful. You will now need to contact the Texas Workforce Commission tax agent listed on the notice, in order to resolve this discrepancy. Your case has been closed at this time." I then called them and the person listed on the notice picked up on the first ring. How is a resolution to "go do it yourself." They are a garbage company and I cannot wait to stop using them when our busy season comes to an end.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

If you can avoid Intuit online payroll. All their customer reps are in the Philippines and you are lucky to get someone with bad English. Every issue with Intuit payroll takes 5 calls to correct with each lasting about an hour.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I really wish I had seen these reviews before switching to QuickBooks payroll. I have an issue that I have been trying to get resolved since beginning of January, which I need to get resolved in order to print W2s and 1099s and today is the 28th. I have called probably 7 times and each time I get a different rep, who doesn't know what is going on and who gives me different information. I've been promised since the beginning of January that this problem would be taken care of but it is still not. And, today, 3 days before the W2s and 1099s are due that they might not be able to fix the issue. I have spent hours on the phone with them over the last few weeks, an hour and 27 minutes just today. I do not have time for this. The representatives that I have talked to are not very knowledgeable and every rep has told me something different - one didn't know anything at all. This service is horrible and I am supposed to be part of some priority circle.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Every year I have problem after problem with this software. After the required upgrade to QB 2019 I called to activate the software. They had me on the phone for over 3 hours before finally getting it to work. Two week later when I went to run payroll again I had the same problem with 2 hours to activate the software. Now I am 4 weeks out and on the phone with support once again. Current call time is 35 minutes. I don't recommend the software to any company.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

If you don't mind sitting on the phone with customer service to tell you the incorrect information so you have to do it again and again; then this is the product for you. I've used every kind of payroll service out there. ADP, Paychex, QuickBooks Desktop payroll module before the recession, ACS, Payroll Solutions, CFS, and tried and true federal forms without software. I have 10+ years of payroll experience. This is the worst product on the market. I highly recommend you outsource payroll to a local company you can email and call to get a knowledgeable person right away; not some know-nothing level-one tech with supervisors who only repeat the misinformation their tech did. I've never wasted so much of my time during one payroll season. I won't forget it, and I won't recommend this to anyone ever.

Congratulations for making the WORST list. The only way to make this service better is to go back to the old school payroll module, where you do your own payroll (assuming you know how) without any of the lockouts from assisted payroll or full service payroll. Or you could pay me for the time I have to sit on hold with your impossible customer service. My wholesale rate is $100 per hour. You owe me big!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I purchased Quickbooks in August 2018. I purchased the Enhanced Payroll at the same time. I have done payroll since that time. On 21 January 2019 I received an update. All of a sudden the Quarterly forms for Federal and State showed up. Unfortunately this means that I did not file them for the 3rd quarter of 2018. Called and talked to tech support. The first person could not understand English. The supervisor finally understood that the forms are supposed to be in the program so that I know to file them and at what time. She consulted Tier 3. I was told that I had not updated the program or payroll service correctly and that no one else had this problem. Well I have automatic updates turned on in the program and before doing any payroll I check for updates on the payroll services.

I then was told I should have called when the forms were needed. I pay them to have the information in the program so that I know when they are needed. It is bad enough that my quarterly forms are late. Enhanced is supposed to let me know what and where to file and prepopulate the forms. The fact that they blamed me for messing up is not acceptable. Terrible customer service.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have been happy with QuickBooks Payroll until the last six months. The online payroll has been experiencing major glitches - especially 3rd quarter 2018 forms and taxes. Part of the service is to populate due taxes and forms. We depend on that service to submit our taxes and forms on time. I have called on this several times, spent many hours on the phone with them as to why they did not pay or populate the due items in the time frame it was due. It is has happened to several of my clients companies and not only is this unprofessional - but it reflects on me and the services that I offer. When they receive letters from the state and federal government in regard to late payments or non-submission of forms - then it is indeed embarrassing.

QuickBooks admits it is their fault. However, they will refund the service fee or do anything to assume responsibility for this. I am certainly looking at changing over all of my clients at this point to other services. I have begun to look around. I am a long time loyal user and feel completely let down by this company. I think they have gotten too large.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have been using Intuit for 4 years now, and all the sudden they say that because we switched from Desktop to Online QB, we have to cancel our payroll and start all over again, Complete laziness on their part, they have been giving us instruction on how to transfer for the past 5 weeks...which we followed implicitly only to find out in the eleventh hour that we have to enroll again because they can't figure out how to transfer... BOGUS! Going to Paychex.com now.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Did you know? That the address field for W-2 forms downloaded from Intuit Payroll and mailed to employees is limited to 3 lines? That means that everybody who lives in an apartment will get their forms returned to the employer. I pay too much for such garbage. In addition, the web interface is very clunky 20th century and their paycheckrecords.com site will not let employees in to inspect their pay stubs if they do not include the www prefix in the URL. Wow. That is stunning in 2019. Support has been useless whether online or by phone. I have been repeatedly told that there is nothing they can do about my problem and once insisted I shouldn't want something that i can't have rather than saying that they would look into my suggestion. Time to look for a different service.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Had a NSF charge of $100.00, called in and was told my account did not have funds. Went to bank and money was available. Had to wire funds this morning and was told the hold would be removed, nothing.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Intuit is a bunch of thieves and liars. I have a client that they will not allow to have efile but yet they collect the fees every month. I have spent over 10 hours on the phone trying to get this resolved and every time I am told it has been "escalated" and will be resolved. 3.5 months later and it has not been. Supervisor Chris on the phone yesterday literally used the words "I promise this will be working by the start of business tomorrow." It is 11 am and I call in because it is still not working and am told 1-2 business days. HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I HEARD THAT?!?! I am sick of being lied to and pointless phone calls. They take your money and do not deliver service, which is thievery. DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY TO DO THE RIGHT THING AND FOLLOW THROUGH!!!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

As a longtime user of Paycycle through QB, I was disappointed when they sold to Intuit. As the years have gone on, service has gotten steadily worse culminating in this last quarter when I can't even pay my Employment taxes. Oregon passed a transit tax which was figured incorrectly by intuit PR and come to find out I had to pay it myself! I had assumed that Intuit would send in electronically, since I had no notice to the contrary. Several months later I see a disclaimer that they don't e file this tax.

Also they will e file a garnishment for a drug fine but not for child support payment. Again, providing fillable forms for those but not telling me it wouldn't send payments to proper agency. The CS agents are lovely but most don't know a thing about US tax system or business so can't understand or help with the simplest issues. I too have been shuttled between QB and intuit over simple payroll issues. And besides that, my fees went up from $50 to $95 without so much as an email notice. Again CS rep said something like well all prices go up!! I will be looking for different company.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Have been using QB and QB payroll since 2004 for multiple businesses. In 2018, Arizona changed the law and now entitles PT employees to accrue up to 24 hours of sick time pay per year. Although QB reps will provide how to set that up, IT DOES NOT WORK!!! I discovered in October, that I had overpaid one employee by 10 hours! (QB neglected to stop accruing her sick time hours after she got and used her 24 for the year). Upon learning this, I saw the same errors on multiple other employees and needless to say... I was HIGHLY agitated by this! I immediately called the QB center, and after a 2 hour conversation, found out that they already knew about the problem, and they were working on it. HOLY CRAP!!! How many out there have overpaid an employee and don’t even know it yet? And if that employee has already quit - there is no recourse for you to get your funds back!!!

This is unacceptable and shouldn’t a payroll provider be held legally responsible for this type of error??? Of course, they have some sort of disclaimer in place to protect them, and by doing so... at the close of the year... the problem STILL exists! To determine how much sick time I still needed to pay out at end-of-year, I had to manually, go through each employee, add up their worked hours, multiply that by 0.03333, then subtract that from the sick time they already used. SERIOUSLY??! Now I will be searching for another means of doing payroll - and NOT to use QB anymore. Buyers/Users... BEWARE!!!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

If I could give no stars I would. I've been a faithful Intuit Online Payroll for Accountants user since 2012 when I opened my own company. I have processed literally thousands of payrolls for a variety of clients. In July 2018, Nevada stated they would no longer accept paper-filed UI forms. Given that Intuit filed all forms electronically, I didn't see a problem until I went to print the forms for my clients and discovered Intuit no longer prints the forms only the worksheet. Here "my client" have a worksheet. You can only imagine what the reaction of my clients were when I handed them a worksheet that specifically states "DO NOT FILE THIS WORKSHEET". No "Client Copy" or "Reference Copy". Nothing to indicate the form was filed or for that matter paid... They didn't need to change the code, the system worked perfectly.

Now, it is time to send out W-2's for my clients and guess what... Yet again, Intuit has made an unnecessary change by changing the way the W-2's print so all the forms that I pre-ordered to be proactive about my processing are completely useless and do you think Intuit is going to reimburse me for the cost to replace all these forms? Not a chance. Now I'm forced to expend money on new forms and envelopes that conform to the new Intuit layout or expend money to buy a piece of software that will print on the forms I've already purchased.

I've spoken with several Intuit people about these situations and all I get is "We're so sorry for any inconvenience and I will escalate this to our developers." Lies, lies and more lies... I've even talked with the "Office of the President", but haven't heard anything from them in several months. I guess they figured I was going to forget about all the issues and just blindly keep using their product. Needless to say, they've made it very easy for me to change payroll providers. I'm taking my business to Thomson-Reuters. It may be a bit more expensive, but at least I will be able to provide my clients with the service they expect and deserve.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I've been a long term client of Intuit's. Our payroll is a bit seasonal and in Q2 I had no payroll. At the beginning of Q3, the next quarter in which I had payroll, they added a form to my to do list telling me it is delinquent and cannot be filed online. It was delinquent when they added it to my to do list. When I contacted them, here was their response:

"We do not deny the failure that happened. That is something I want to take emphasis on. However, the responsibility I am talking about is the filing. We are one medium of filing the forms, but not the only. The tax handling is an additional feature to the payroll program and the ability to run payroll and process direct deposits still remain to be functional during the said times when this happened."

"9.5 disclaimer. You assume full responsibility for the use of the payroll service to achieve your intended purposes, for the proper installation and use of the payroll service and for verifying the results obtained from use of the payroll service. Intuit and its suppliers disclaim any warranty that the functions contained in the payroll service will meet your requirements or that the operation of the payroll service will be uninterrupted or error free."

Net findings from dealing with Intuit:
1. You cannot trust their software.
2. They will not stand behind it.
3. They have no problem being paid for a job they did not do.

4. Because you cannot trust them, do not use their software.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

We are long time users of Quickbook Enterprise and also using Intuit Assisted Payroll Services for 5+ years. Our experience was very good so far but recently there was bug in software and they have deducted $16K in total more for Medicare taxes from employees accounts and we have raised the ticket/case for last 10 weeks and no resolution or answer. We are having very hard time communicating to our employees. Customer support folks are polite but have no clue to help. There is no way to get any answer. We are stuck and can't change the services in between too. Very painful experience.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

They have screwed up now two tax payments, once was all W2 to state, would not supply letter to state explaining that they screwed up, horrible customer service. Now doing the same thing again with Oregon State Transit Taxes, they sent emails it was going to be fixed by 10/24/18, not fixed, no follow up, have to submit myself. Customer service useless again. Do not use, horrible product, horrible service.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I can't say anything good! I have had nothing but problems. The service is awful. Nothing works the way it is supposed to. Every time I call for help they give me another project. This system was supposed to save me time, not increase my time spent doing payroll by over 10 times. UGH. I have only had system for two weeks and I HATE it. I wish I could switch but don't want to cause more headaches for my staff! Save yourself and choose something else.

Intuit - Payroll Company Information