Intuit - Payroll

Intuit Payroll

3.9/5 (472 ratings)

About Intuit Payroll

Intuit is a service small businesses can use to manage payroll and access human resource services. It can calculate, file and pay business payroll taxes automatically. Intuit’s flagship products are TurboTax, QuickBooks and Mint. The company is in 20 locations across nine countries.

Intuit - Payroll Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - Payroll?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - Payroll?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

For my small business I enrolled Intuit payroll for my payroll as I am platinum preferred customer with Bank of America. There is no good service with intuit, for several requests to get help filing taxes online which is their feature that comes with service nobody helped for several requests. Finally I cancelled the service on Jan 5th 2021 and they keep charging me the service fee until I uncover and when I reported of incorrect charges they say that I reactivated the service. I never received an email that I am enrolled/reactivated this service. However, I have confirmation of cancellation of service and which I believed they won't charge.

When I called today they first said they can't refund and later they refunded 1 month and when I argued with them they refunded 2 months and says that's max they can do, irrespective of 6 months they charged for nothing. This is bad company, bad service and worst response when reported something. Small business owners work hard and they don't have time to fight with these companies for having them on phone arguing over and over again for hours. Don't recommend this to any business owners out here in Maryland or for that matter other states. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I was unable to log in the usual way this pay period and spent hours trying to get help. It is an endless loop of chat agents who send links that take you on a circular journey. I used to be able to reach phone support easily but now I could talk to the president more easily than a human at QB Payroll. Plus they are expensive and don't cover penalties when they mess up your tax filing. It has been a struggle to use the service since I signed back up in June. I can do manual payroll with less time and frustration. I finally called it quits with QB payroll!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2021

We are a church. A non profit. We needed to change email address. The service people are clueless. We sent all that was asked for and they still could not effect a simple email change. But this is just the latest in a string of continual problems which the tech service people are clueless to provide service. I do not recommend this product.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

30 minutes for Intuit to transfer me to the correct department. Still on hold 15 minutes and holding. The service I pay for is "Premium, Full Service". Furthest thing from the truth. Intuit is probably the worst customer service I've ever had the displeasure to be subjected too. Stay away!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Intuit forced us to switch to their "new" Quickbooks Online Payroll and it really sucks and costs too much. No support. Wacky invoices. No reports, hard to find what you need. No flexibility at all. Take a look at this invoice they sent me: Jul 19, 2021 - Aug 19, 2021. Service Charge*: $45.00. Employee Surcharge**: $8.00. Multistate Support Surcharge***: $0.00. Total amount billed to account ending in....$159.00. This is from a company that supposedly specializes in accounting software? It doesn't add up at all. And there is no one to explain it. You can't email them. They had become almost a monopoly so I guess they decided they no longer had to provide a product. Intuit is just coasting on their reputation and raking in the bucks. But they do have some competitors now, and believe me, I'll be checking them out.

Original review: June 23, 2021

Your Service is terrible. You're a publicly-traded company. You would think it would be better. How about spending some money on customer support in the USA. Left their payroll. The system constantly doesn't send out ACH. I do like that the detail of the employees is in QuickBooks but that about it. We moved to Paychex. So far it is much easier and cheaper!

Original review: June 21, 2021

Our story same as other reviews recently; great service for years. Then, last year, service started to suffer, starting with the fact it was impossible to talk to a live person. Then in May 2021, Intuit locked our payroll account for "suspicious activity" after nearly 20 years of doing biz with them. Then, in trying to unlock our account, I tried for 20+ hours to get a person on the phone (lockout message said I had to TALK to Risk Management Assessment Team Member, which no one could reach, apparently), I finally gave up. I cancelled my assisted payroll.

I just got off a chat as I had a question about the stupid message that pops up saying "you have checks to send!" and "Your payroll is late!". As soon as I entered the info in the chat box, the rep said he "wasn't trained to answer that question". Quickbooks Assisted Payroll is worthless. My advice: subscribe to a local payroll service and save yourself a lot of time & aggravation. (BTW, I had just renewed our subscription to Assisted Payroll...$300 and 2 weeks later, they cancel us.) Save your money and go to a service who CARES about their customers.

Original review: May 22, 2021

Was a customer for several years paying thousands per year for payroll services. In 2020 at depths of the pandemic, Intuit forced an $299 software upgrade or "we'll stop processing your payroll." Paid the extortion fee for the upgrade in time, yet they stopped my payroll anyway (you have to both buy it AND log into the payroll service even if you have no payroll that quarter). After years of paying them, absolutely no notice whatsoever to me just a sudden stop of all of my filings.

Several thousand of dollars in penalties later, and after hours on the phone, they had the nerve to withdraw several hundred dollars from my business accounts to add insult to injury AFTER they've ceased my payroll, and the rep I finally reached after hours on hold told me, "Yep, that's how it is, sorry to say. It sucks, but it's how it is." In other words, "You're screwed, too bad. Thanks for your money." I feel sorry for everyone else who must use this company. I've moved onto another payroll service, can't wait to purge Intuit completely from my life. I used to invest in the company but now feel dirty doing so. This is the worst type of company, the worst type of business, the worst example of how to run a business.

Original review: May 3, 2021

QB customer service has NEVER been good but this last issue they simply punted and made ZERO effort to provide any customer service whatsoever. My employees began contacting me to let me know that the weekly payroll had not hit their accounts. I checked my quickbooks company and everything appeared correct. My next step was to ATTEMPT to contact QB customer service (an oxymoron because there was no service). I was told (by a computer) that I would be on hold for an hour and a half but this was a very important issue so I held. At the same time I logged into the online chat and began waiting to see which would respond first.

Read this part slowly, after over 2 hours of waiting on both contact options available to me I got a message that the direct deposit issue was fixed and I was disconnected. I WAS NEVER ABLE TO TALK TO A PERSON. I have no doubt that QB simply shutdown their customer service, ignoring calls in their hold queue until the problem was fixed and then they cleared the board.

I would like to say this is an outlier but the fact of the matter is QB customer service is TRASH. Their normal process is to force you through an electronic question and answer process that can take 15 to 20 min. When you can get to a person (never in less than 30 min) they can never, never answer your question. You have to understand this person is simply there to gather information about your problem and to confirm every single thing you have already answered in the automated system. After all this they put you on hold until they can pass you off to someone else.

Now an hour into your request for help you may finally reach a person that can actually answer your question and help you. This last person is actually very good at their job and while it is rotten customer service to make your customers navigate a robocall system providing information that the first person you talk to will simply make you repeat before they move you on the actual help. If you are someone who thinks they will need customer service on a regular basis Quickbooks is not the software for you.

Original review: May 1, 2021

Note there are over 150 ONE STAR reviews! Take Note and AVOID Quick Books PAYROLL. QB Payroll is NOT user friendly or customer service orientated. 2 examples. A lot of small-mid biz does their annual wrap up bookkeeping in Jan or their Qtr during the next month. Forget about it with QB payroll. You cannot enter ANY data or make ANY changes - NONE - for the entire previous year (or Qtr of this year) starting Jan 1 or the 1st day of the Qtr. Forget that the FEDERAL DEADLINE is 30 days later. Instead some punk MBA kid decided to create an ARBITRARY deadline on the 1st day. If you miss it, too bad for you. Submit any changes in writing and wait 2 weeks. If you end up missing your tax filing date and get a fine, too bad chump. There are BETTER more user friendly services for half the price. These guys are a machine that could care less about you or your business.

Original review: March 23, 2021

Using Intuit Online Payroll literally cost me $3,000 in penalties with the IRS. Their software makes it look like they are paying and filing your Federal taxes for you, except they aren't filing the forms. The IRS received my payments, but never received the required 940/941 forms and now I am being charged penalties because I am over 1 year late in filing these forms. When you contact their support they tell you they are not a "full service" payroll software. Maybe make that clear on your marketing? Thanks, Intuit! What do you expect from a company with 6 Billion in revenue.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

Quickbooks Full Service Payroll: This service is suppose to make it easier for business owners. But instead they provide very poor service. I tried the full service for a few months end of 2018. Did not like it and ended that same year and began with another company 2019. Since I was only with QuickBooks for Oct, Nov, and Dec of 2018, they were to only report those month they paid payroll. Since it was full service, they assisted with the move from previous company. The previous company filed W2 for the period I was with them. And quickbooks filed previous company payroll numbers plus theirs. Now, about a month ago I received a nice bill on taxes owed for 2018. IRS is billing me for the salary diff. Quickbooks filed the 3 months plus the months I was with the other company. The other company filed the months I was with them. Making it about 9 months in additional salary.

I have tried for the past 3 weeks to speak with a manager and no luck. I do not have the full payroll now so they can't help. Only chatting is available with these folks. I did speak with some over the phone after 2 hour of bouncing around. Look..Quickbooks charges a nice sum for their services but they lack the customer and management needed to resolve issues as this.

Now, another issue. I have been testing their Live Bookkeeping for about 5-6 months. They are horrible. The first bookkeeper wanted me to set all the rules because "I only knew" what kind of transactions they were. I requested a new bookkeeper. Took them almost a months for the change. Now I have spoken to 3 different individuals. They have all told me that they will email me a spreadsheet in order for me to assist with categorizing some transactions. I continue to wait for that spreadsheet after 3-4 months. I just logged in to one of my business accounts and noticed many easy mistake. These folks work on just setting rules. I can do that myself. The only reason I don't use rules 100% because they are not all accurate. This services is also a mess!

What is sad is that quickbooks software is good. They are a huge company. But when they try to offer services that involve people working, they just can't provide the management needed to make it work. Is sad that they just do not care about customers or someone complaining. Especially something like payroll that involves the IRS. Can't trust Intuit-Quickbooks!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2021

Core only allows Chat within the QB Clients payroll subscription. They will spend hours in chat with you. This is the 2nd client I attempted to get taxes straightened out and running smoothly using CORE.... I was in chat with them for over 3 hours this morning and they never resolved the issue... It is a completely incompetent payroll system, not designed for function or use.

Quick Books Full Service Payroll... Finally got a hold a person to speak with about a different client. She put me on hold listening to music for an hour. Never resolved the problem and never called back, even though my phone number and email address are linked to the client accounts. My experience with Core and Full Service has been a awful.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

I went to chat to ask for help in running required reports. The first person could not help me and gave me a link to another person after 4 minutes, I was directed to someone else. That other person has put me on hold for thirty minutes and still has not gotten me an answer. This is absurd. What do we pay for? Isn't it good service when we need it? Intuit does not apparently think so.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

Do not give them access to your bank account. I have took hours and hours of my time on four separate occasions trying to get them to quit billing me for a service that I canceled 6 months ago. They keep telling me it’s taken care of and they hit my account for 49$ every month to this day. They do not have competent support employees. I bet they don’t have to have a high school diploma. Beware!!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

This year (2020) the To Do List is not updated with tax payments due in a timely manner. Twice our tax payments were delinquent resulting in a fine. It is impossible to get customer service by phone. They will only chat and still cannot resolve this issue. In previous years, once payroll is processed the To Do List is immediately updated with both the Federal and State taxes due pertaining to that payroll. Now you have to log in days after processing payroll to find it on your To Do List. The Tax Liability page does show the amounts due but gives no indication as to when it is due. Very unhappy with this product.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I have reached out to support twice to fix my program. I can not generate a state tax form 2020. The only way you can reach tech support is through chat. They do not and will not give you a number for tech support. After an hour long chat session my problem was still corrected. Quickbooks is the worst customer support ever!!!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

If you purchase with them at full price it works fine. If you purchase the product at Amazon or elsewhere be ready to spend couple of hrs every month to resolve the subscription issues without solution. I purchased annual subscription in April and since then they messed my renewal date which should be 2021. Now it expires every month and they charge me 468.00. I call them. They reverse it and then the same story repeats. They couldn't fix the expiry date to reflect April 2021 and the support people just read the lines given to them and after hr. they hung up. I am stuck with it as I purchased subscription for a year. Their help desk is absolutely useless.

Original review: July 16, 2020

It's amazing that a company that has this many bad reviews is able to stay in business. Shameful. Do not sign up for this service. When you need support you will find out their only option is a chat window that takes hours to get into and then the people respond so slowly a simple problem takes hours to get through.

Original review: July 1, 2020

I have called Intuit Payroll and Quickbooks several times to activate the new software and move the old Ein number to the new software, so far I have called 3 times and every time they confirm it is connected yet they charge me for the new year, proving to them the new key of the new purchase, also no usage been done. Not only they charged me for it twice, also the service was very Rude, after requesting the activation confirmation none was given, and the person kept putting us on hold without letting us know we are on hold, the protocol is terrible, support is below zero. Do yourself a favor and go with another software for your business, don't waste your time because you will get screwed by intuit.

Original review: May 24, 2020

Here we are 30 months after we cancelled our payroll services with Intuit and my wife was the one who caught the charge. Our bookkeeper never even caught it and just "assumed" it was a charge for Payroll services. The descriptor line simply states just that. Had it said "Intuit Payroll" our bookkeeper might have caught wind of this much sooner. We are now with Square Payroll and LOVE it. It is cheaper and has much better customer service and would have handled this situation better. My wife was present when I called and cancelled my payroll service (she was the one who dialed and handed me the phone actually).

We calculated that they stole over $2,000 from my account over the course of 30 months and the "best" they could do is to refund us 6 months worth. Mind you that I have an account with them for bookkeeping services and would have gladly taken the remaining refund as a credit on my account but this was simply the BEST they could do. Personally this isn't good business. As a business owner myself, there is no way I could justify charging someone for services they are not using nor intending to use. This isn't like a gym membership that you don't cancel and don't go.... This is a service that is no longer used and was cancelled...or so I thought it was. Intuit Payroll doesn't deserve business if they don't take of their current or past customers properly.

Original review: April 26, 2020

Every since I received this card from job for direct deposit it has been a problem. They will not allow you to pay bills if address for bill doesnt match card, they also regulate what you can spend even if you tell them not to. I made a purchase and took it back the company refunded my money right away. And I have been waiting for days for my money to be put back on my card for a week and still have not received. When I call they tell me it could take 15 days even though the company released the money the same day I took item back. This company this card and their customer service reps are terrible along with the CSR supervisor.

Original review: March 30, 2020

No Support and costs more time than it saves. Using an online payroll service that provides a full turn key service to submit forms and pay bills, you're likely going to have questions for them about for example: what forms they submit, if the forms were submitted, when do they submit the forms, when and how are payments made, etc.... When I called support to ask these questions, which many would call basic questions, the support representatives are unable to answer them.

Moreover, they have no option to escalate questions they can't answer to a higher tier. Their only option is to open a chat window (on their PC which you can't see) and commence with chatting with a higher tier agent in order to answer your question. This would be fine if they were able to provide a prompt response to your question, however I have found that it often takes on average an hour for them to get a response over the chat service. All of the while you are sitting there on the phone in silence.

When you ask to speak to a higher-tier yourself, they can't let you, and if you ask to speak to a supervisor, you're typically connected to someone who knows less about the product than the person you were talking to. And they also do not have any option for connecting you to a higher tier of support. Again, the questions I asked we're extremely basic questions as highlighted above and these are questions that anyone using their service would likely have when trying to understand what they're paying for (i.e. how the service works).

Now if something goes wrong with the service, it will be even much longer hold times on the phone. All in all, I calculated that I spent $2000 of my time on calls with them in the first month. I could have paid an army of accountants to do my payroll for years for that. So needless to say, this service did not save me time or money. It cost me dearly.

The best part of this story is when I went to cancel my service. I clicked the cancel service button on the site which didn't let me cancel. I just told me to call a number that was no longer in service. When I called the main number the support reps also didn't know how to cancel the service and told me there should be an option on the page, which wasn't there when we did a screen share. So I proceeded to spend 1.5 hours on the phone talking to 3 different representatives before I was able to get my subscription cancelled. If that doesn't highlight what I'm talking about, I don't know what does. Hopefully this help you avoid the issues I went through.

Original review: March 6, 2020

I had an account with Intuit Online (Paycycle) for 15 years. I was Very satisfied. I closed my business in 2018. The IRS contacted me in March 2020 and said they need a 940 form that I evidently forgot to filed. Intuit online (Paycycle) payroll services refuse to help me. I've contacted them twice already and they just give me the run around. I finally found a hard copy in my files. I want everyone to know that if you go with intuit (Paycycle) for your payroll services you need to be aware of this.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

What a shame, a great payroll product that easily integrated with the rest of my QuickBooks software. I believe Microsoft bought them and wow, changes really came downhill. I spent way too much time on the phone yesterday with a fellow who barely speaks English, was rude in putting me down, and did not give me an answer. If I could find another payroll software that would integrate with my QB software, I would change. I am sure they know it is not out there and refuse to offer good customer service and a quality, tested product. No stars.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I left Intuit Payroll as a customer approximately six months ago due to terrible customer service, long wait times and ever increasing fees. I called yesterday and after being on the phone speaking to someone and on hold for over 1 hour, I was informed that Intuit had made a mistake and the mistake could not be resolved. I am so glad I switched Payroll companies - and pay half the price!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I've been with Intuit online payroll since its inception. It was a fantastic program. I think they sold the company. I can no longer speak to anyone in the United States. All of the service reps are in the Philippines. They made a change to their program without beta testing it... Finding another payroll program. Will probably go with Gusto or Square.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

Intuit is the worst company in payroll. We only have 4 employees and they are charging $159.90 per month where we have only 3 locations. When I called for refund they refuse to refund me back. I can't believe you are stealing money from the small business who just have 4 employees. You have been stealing the money from couple of months. I asked your representative how to deactivate if anyone not working so you don't charge the money from us. They said, "If you do not have employee in other state, we don't charge for it." Still you charge for the state where employees were zero. Lying and stealing, you are doing both the things together.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

Nothing but issues since moving to Quickbooks payroll. Our accounting department has had all information to Intuit 2 weeks before our first payroll was supposed to run. We were notified the day before payroll that the documents we provided were not correct. Why wait until the day before to review payroll documents? The day of payroll our contact went completely cold. Did not return calls, emails, etc. our consultant finally got through to a manager and spent 5 hours on the phone making sure that payroll would be done by the 5 PM deadline. We were notified at 4 PM that payroll would be fine and not to worry. The contact that went cold had the nerve to email back at 5 PM, that everything looked good in our system...he didn't work on our account at all throughout the day!

The day of payroll we discovered the below errors.

1. Multiple employees had duplicate states withheld on first paycheck.
2. 7 employees had previous W4 changed to new 2020 payroll. How? (We're still in the process of fixing this.)
3. Pay Period was screwed up from 1/1/20 to 12/31/20 after having spent 3 hours on the phone with them a week prior explaining that we would need payroll to run from the 1/1/20.
4. 1 employee had double his federal taxes taken out of his account. Again, how does this happen?
5. No employees received emails notifying them of their paystubs.

6. Once people did receive emails, they received errors logging.

I sent multiple emails to our Intuit contacts asking to receive manager contact details and an explanation of how something so critical could be handled so poorly. I still have not heard back. This has been the absolute worst customer service experience I've had, and Intuit needs to address the issue and fix it.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I don't even know where to start. It has been one disaster after another, with their software not working correctly, their support team being uneducated in their product, etc. Today I completed 7 HOURS of holding and support calls to them over the last 4 days. After being told my account was fine, then receiving and email that it was on Hold, then calling in and being told all was well, I get a letter that my account was suspended because they were unable to verify my information. To which I have faxed and emailed, and had the BANK fax, multiple time. I enter in my EIN and when I hit save, the system blanks it out, and says it's a required field. We did this over and over!!! I'm DONE!!!! What I can tell you other business owners, this is how you will go OUT OF BUSINESS. THEY ARE TERRIBLE. Not sure who to go to, I have a call with ADP, I pray they are better.

Intuit - Payroll Company Information