Volkswagen Beetle

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

2014 VW beetle is a lemon. I am unable to drive this car in the winter. If it is below zero the frameless windows freeze on this car. When you unlock the car the windows should drop down an inch to open the door. When it's cold the window won't drop making it impossible to get into your car. I'm not even talking freezing rain or a blizzard. Even parking in a garage doesn't help. If it's cold you will not get in. I had to replace my brakes & rotors on this 2-year old car with 43000 km on it. VW dealer told me if you do not drive much the VW brakes will rust. I can't drive this car in the winter therefore I had to get new brakes & rotors.

I have rust which VW denied fixing under the warranty. I can't drive this car in the winter & it's stored in a garage all winter. How can I possibly have rust all around the front windshield? VW told me not to drive it in the winter as there is no solution to the window problem. What a terrible company. No customer support & they do not stand behind their cars. Beware of buying any VW as the warranty means nothing.

I purchased a 2003 Volkswagen convertible. It was fine until the warranty was over. Unfortunately I didn't purchase an extended warranty. This is a must for these cars! I only have 81,000 miles and the electrical harness went out causing every light imaginable to go on and I had to make an emergency exit off Highway 17. I have also had to replace the transmission. The roof has separated from the window, but the most infuriating thing is that the window regulators keep breaking to the tune of approximately $800 each window. I am now on my 4th window regulator. The regulator must be a manufacturing default that I have now had to be responsible for. I have spent $3,200 just to make my windows go up and down because the window regulator part is probably plastic and breaks. So much for German Engineering! My Lexus has been wonderful and has twice as many miles on it. I will never buy a Volkswagen again no matter how "cute" they look.

Bought a brand-new 2016 Volkswagen Beetle Dune from Honolulu Volkswagen. Have it shipped to my home on Kauai. The car is my favorite color, orange-ish gold. The car arrived, beautiful, pristine. But within a few hundred miles my brand-new car's interior carpeting started to flood with about a quarter gallon of water, about a quarter inch deep. Turns out the air conditioning compressor condenser was draining to the inside of the car rather than to the outside of the car, this was caused by an incorrectly installed .10 cent drainage tube at the manufacture in Mexico.

The car was shipped back to Honolulu Volkswagen under this warranty issue. When Honolulu Volkswagen went to pick the car up at the port they immediately wrecked it, not one time, but two (2) times causing $7000 in damage see pictures, and causing me not to be enjoying my car for most likely two months, it has been one month since I've been able to enjoy my new car.

Volkswagen America and Honolulu Volkswagen have been horrid to work with and getting this resolved in my favor. Due to these 2 accidents involving my car, one of the accident was caused by a large semi truck merging in to my car as they were delivering it from the port to Honolulu Volkswagen, the second wreck was caused by mystery accident? While in Honolulu Volkswagen possession, and they are not taking ownership of it and passing that damage along to my insurance company/partly at faults insurance.

The consequences are at the end of the line I own the Carfax report. I have tried everything short of hiring a lawyer to get Volkswagen America and Honolulu Volkswagen to take more ownership in this situation by emancipating me from the contract or replacing with a brand-new identical car. Why should I be stuck with a brand-new car that has been involved in a major accident affecting the whole left side, the front wheel and steering mechanisms, the door interior rocker panel which means the car is bent, it will never be a true straight car, and the carpeting has now been subjected to flooding which will be a mold and mildew issue.

The car currently only has 800 miles on it. I have been in possession of the car for only six weeks, and have only enjoyed it for two weeks before I had to send the car back to the dealership. I should've known better considering the damage that Volkswagen has caused to all of those diesel owners with their less than truthful behavior. But I did own a 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle, bought it brand-new and got 250,000 trouble free miles out of it. I assumed my new 2016 Volkswagen Beetle Dune would have given me the same top-notch service, I was wrong. All of this chaos, all of this mayhem was caused by a .10 cent drainage tube installed incorrectly at the manufacture in Mexico.

I bought this brand new car as a treat to myself after surviving 263 days in the hospital undergoing two rounds of leukemia and a bone marrow transplant. Because the carpeting got soaked and with our Hawaiian environment the car immediately got a musty smell, I never got to enjoy the new car smell. Due to my condition I cannot be around mold or mildew. Volkswagen America has completely been unconcerned about my special needs and health issues. No empathy, no sympathy, all caused by their inability to make a quality product which caused a series of events to cause my brand-new car to be worth a fraction of its actual value.

When I requested that the carpeting be completely replaced to prevent me from being exposed to mold and mildews they refused and said they would only dry it out. Most likely when I get the car back it will develop a mold and mildew issue that will affect my health in a negative way. Because the flooding came through the firewall most likely the car will have electronic issues in the future being that the wiring got exposed to too much moisture, and when I go to sell the car in the future, it will be a challenge due to that I own the Carfax report and I am the owner of the car.

The Carfax report will show that it was in a major accident and I'll only get a fraction of the amount of what the car would be worth. Volkswagen America has only offered me one car payment reimbursement of $425.00 and $450 of rental car reimbursement. Only $900 reimbursement after they caused $7000 worth of damage because of a incorrectly installed .10 cent drainage tube at manufacturers in Mexico. If only they would've put out a quality product from the very beginning, these series of events would've never happened.

A disabled person stuck with a car with only 800 miles on it and has a Carfax report that stinks to high heaven. Think twice, think three times before you buy anything from Volkswagen. The images are of before and after the car wrecks caused by Volkswagen's inability to install a $.10 drainage tube correctly, causing a series of dominoes to fall, leaving the consumer holding the bag of ca ca.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I previously wrote a review regarding mold on the convertible top of my 2014 Beetle. I am pleased to say the local dealership and VW rep came to my rescue with a 3M cleaning product which removed all traces of the mold on a test area. Because of this result, VW is going to clean the entire top. I was quite pleased to see my car would be restored to the original perfect condition and would like to thank the VW rep and service manager at O'Steen VW in JAX, FL for helping me with the problem. My faith has been restored in their customer service.

Joanie of St Johns, FL on

Original Review

My VW top started getting mold at one year however I was not able to bring this to their attention due to relocation until a year later. At this point the mold began spreading all over the top and I brought it to VW's attention. They said it wasn't covered by warranty and finally agreed to replace the top at 1/2 of the cost. That was still $1600. They did however replace another customer's top for the same reason at no charge. I am furious at this action and would like to know if others have had the same problem.

I bought the 2005 Volkswagen convertible beetle Cabrio gls, 2.0 ltr with the bev motor and tip-tron transmission, 11 years of nothing but problems. 97,000 miles. The only reason we still have it, is because it is payed off and handed down to our daughter. A journal was kept. Let's get started. Warranty work. 3 repairs on windows, completely rebuilt. Very expensive. Head light blows out constantly. Car towed to shops 7 times, for problems while on warranty. Electrical problems, complete new wiring harness. Complete, transmission replace. New valve body on transmission (this is a new transmission from vw). Black dash is increasingly becoming soft and coming off black. Informed that car need brakes at 35,000 miles. Complete brake job, not covered. $1200.00. Wow. Normal oil and filter changes.

Volkswagen warranty ran out. Listed below are all the repairs after 45,000 miles and no warranty. Replaced turpentine belt. Bearing plates replaced. New battery, and lines. Fuse box replaced. Fuel filter (special filter) $. Air conditioner, condenser $. Cracked lines from smog pump replaced. 4 times window repairs since warranty, $. Radiator cooling fan, water pump, timing belt, spark plug wires. Head lights (electrical) bulbs just blow out. Fuel pump. Brake solenoid replaced. New CVC axles, both sides $. New upper and lower ball joints. New back wheel bearings. 2nd rebuilt transmission (only 36,000 miles on transmission that they replaced) $.

Convertible top replaced. Windshield wiper motor. Remote control entry, not work, clicker replaced. Airconditioning condenser fan on radiator. Radiator water hoses and air filters. Various electrical problems, with continued problems. Stereo system shorted out, replace stereo. The car now has 97,000 miles. The mechanic has retired from working on this piece of **. There need to be a class action law suit filed against Volkswagen. You can see, they have many reoccurring problems, these are all documented repairs, this is unbelievable... Estimated repairs to date $15,000 - 20,000.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen?

I bought a 2001 1.8Turbo Beetle from the original owner. I've only put 14000 miles on it and it only has 114000 miles. The interior quality is horrible. Plastic has a sticky residue, door handles cracked, headliner is shot and has a water leak under the dash drivers side. Oh, the AC went as well as the foam backing for the blend doors which means air comes out of all vents and is warm. Barely any defrost. Repairs will be $1800. Also there is a loud vibration at idle when warm. Only paid $3000. Thought with such low miles it would be a good car for a while. I love the car but if you buy one get one with a really good service history and be prepared to invest some money into it. I pray the loud vibration sound isn't serious.

Initially, I love my convertible, however, it's been quite the nightmare over the past couple of years. At approximately 90,000 km I had all kinds of problems with the car changing gears. Apparently it has a Cabriolet transmission! Turns out that it an issue with the valve body, a $2000 expense for me to get this fixed. And addition to this huge issue with the transmission I have also had to replace the two regulators in the back windows and now I have an issue with the passenger window, it will not go all the way up and I hear a slight crackling noise, I'm suspecting that it's another regulator that needs to be changed at a cost of approximately $600. I definitely will not be purchasing another volkswagen in my lifetime. Besides all these costly repair, the interior is so cheaply put together, everything else is falling apart.

Went to the dealer and saw this beetle for my daughter for her 16th birthday. Well I bought it the end of April and had problems with it since. Had to take it back because windows wouldn't go down. So I had to drive it over 30 miles back home. Then the next day I took it back 30 miles again, wasn't the right piece. Finally gave me a rental car to go home with. So when I went back told them of the key not wanting to turn and the breaks were grinding. About the key they said it was a safety feature so no one could steal it and the break do that when they get wet or dirty. So just hit the brakes real hard and that will take car of the problem. So now I have this car I am making payments on and my daughter can't drive. I will never buy another car from this lying dealership. All they do is lie to get a car sold no matter how safe it is.

I bought a 2003 VW Beetle new. First year no problem. After that engine light kept coming on. A VW mechanic told me that all 2001-2004 Beetles and Jettas have an electrical harness flaw cost $5K to fix. VW won't recall. Since then I have had nothing but electrical problems with windows, sensors, dead battery. I also have water coming up through the floor boards.

I was shocked & stunned the 8th time my window blew out & collapsed into my car (VW Convertible 2005). Thank Goodness my mom was not with me that day. Volkswagen denied a "problem/lemon" car. I was so resigned, I gave VW the car back since I felt unethical to sell issue.

In 2014, I had a Dodge Journey and I absolutely hated it. The dealership that is close to my home was terrible and was blaming me for all the problems that I had with it. I traded it in for my dream car - the Volkswagen Beetle, 2013. The first year and a half that I had it, was perfect, it ran smoothly, I got oil changes done when needed, etc. I STILL love my car, but I'm frustrated. Where I live in Canada, it gets to below 0 degrees Celsius, sometimes it can go down to -50 degrees Celsius (BRRR!!!).

In the wintertime, once it hits -20 degrees, anytime of the day or night, the basic lights of my vehicle will turn on (headlights, brake lights and side signal lights). When this happens, the only way I can get the lights off is when I go outside and start my car, and let it run for at least 15 minutes. Now, I realize that some people wouldn't worry about it if they're going to work, but when you're on your days off and just want to sleep, and someone comes screaming at you because my car lights are on. It is a pain in the damn ass.

After it gets below -30 or -40, the lights come on, I cannot start my vehicle, and it won't boost. So far, since I bought this vehicle 2 and a half years ago, I've had to get it towed to the nearest dealership (which is 5 hours away) twice. The worst part about it is, they have NO IDEA why my car is doing this. They've apparently checked everything and still, no idea what is going on - because the computer isn't storing the problem. Thank God it is covered under warranty. Has anyone else had this problem??? I so totally love my car, easy and fun to drive, easy to park... And I especially love it when people do the punch buggy thing... It honestly makes my day... At the same time, I am so extremely frustrated and I need my vehicle to be reliable - not just in the summer, but in the winter, too!!

Car was bought 3 years ago in New York and was moved to Florida. Back window is coming out due to the heat - it stopped gluing to the top. This is a major security issue. The window could fall off while driving. Repair is $4,000. Colleague with the same car is facing the same issue. I really do not understand, why VW keeps selling those cars in Florida, although they are well aware of the problem. Very disappointed by this brand, which is supposed to stand for quality cars.

Bought a 2006 VW Beetle. I thought it was a cute car and for the first year I had 0 complaints. Then during a Michigan winter, my car wouldn't start. I took it in thinking I needed a new battery. After 2 weeks and a new battery my car wouldn't start again. I take it to the shop and they recharge the battery but say it isn't the batteries fault. A month goes by and I go out to start my car and it won't start again. I take the car to the dealer and they can't find the source of the problem and ask that I get a new battery, stating the battery placed isn't rated for VW beetles. Like a fool I go with the flow and a year later my car won't start. I take it to the shop they recharge the battery.

Two weeks later it won't start. I take it to the dealer, Dealer says I have a parasitic leak coming from my radio. I replace the radio... A year later my car won't start about to take into the shop again! Other ongoing problems: I get flat tires easily, hard shifting, headlight consistently goes out, and every time I go to the dealer it feels like they are guessing at a problem instead of knowing the cause. Please do not buy a VW Beetle. It isn't worth it.

Purchased my 2006 VW convertible new beetle in 2012, I'm the 2nd owner. The car had 45,000 miles on it when I purchased it from CarMax. When I got the car I had problems with the front headlights, they kept going out. It had an oil leak and other various issues which I had fixed and were covered, thank goodness because I bought a warranty. It just had a bunch of problems for a car with such low mileage so I have not been very pleased with the car overall but now the TRANSMISSION went out!!! The car only has 56,000 miles as you can see by the miles, I don't drive a lot and have had the car serviced when needed.

This transmission will cost about $4,200.00 which is the typical price to replace this transmission!!! How does this happen and apparently this is a very common problem which is caused by a faulty valve which goes out and this is what causes the transmission to go out!!! VW is aware of the problem and they acknowledge the problem but refuse to recall the cars or compensate the owners. I'm trying to find a class action lawsuit to join or maybe start my own. I have never owned such a pit of junk and I have owned many cars. If there were a negative star rating I would give to this car and company. So disgusted and disappointed in vehicle.

I own a VW Beetle. Got timing belt done as should be, and water pump. Now epc light is on and oil light comes on. Also brake light flashes but doesnt need brakes. Engine light stays on, ac does not cool, had vacuumed and more freon still will not cool, ready to give up. Paid 3000. Invest for repairs 2000. Ridiculous. My beetle is a 2000 gsl turbo. Love the car but ready to give up.

2001 New Beetle - manual transmission. Last night while my 16-year old daughter was waiting at a store in the car for my wife to come out the car was parked in 1st gear with the emergency brake off. She went to turn the car on to listen to the radio. She turned the key, the car lurched forward and jumped the curb hitting a storefront directly in front. The storefront was damaged. Luckily there was nobody passing by the front of the car at the time. Nobody was hurt thankfully.

2000 Beetle GLS - My twin and I won our Bugs on the 'Wheel of Fortune" TV Show... Hooray!! Until I picked up my "prize". This thing must've been built on a Friday! Air conditioner didn't work right off the bat. Within a couple of weeks, the the driver side window regulator failed! So far this happened 3 times on each window. Twin's windows have failed at the same rate. Cooling system failed due to mostly plastic parts throughout. I've replaced the radiator, camshaft and had to rebuild the top half of the engine. The sunroof stopped sliding right after the warranty expired (more plastic parts) and the 5 Disc Player went kaput after 4 years. I don't recommend anyone buying any Volkswagen product. As the recent EPA cheating debacle proves, this company consistently puts out inferior vehicles then wants to kill you with dealer repair charges. I keep it around because of the story, but I wouldn't give away to my worst enemy. Real talk!

2006 VW beetle convertible the worst car. I don't know where to begin with the problems I have had with my stupid car. I've had 3 oil leaks which have cost by themselves close to 3000 to fix. I've probably put over 6000 in total in fixing issues I've had with my car. And now the transmission in my automatic has a very hard time shifting gears so I fear the end is near for my car and it doesn't even have 100,000 miles on it yet. The roof has separated from the back window and the stupid VW dealership shredded the top of my car when they had it to service my car and then they wouldn't take responsibility for it. The door interior has come unglued on both of my doors. The interior has become sticky and it peels.

The air bag light I have had fixed and replaced once already is on again and the air bags didn't deploy in either of the accidents I've been in. (And the police here questioned why I swerved to avoid slamming into the car that pulled out in front of me and across 4 lanes of traffic... Um let's see, I didn't want to die. I drive a stupid beetle.) There is now a vacuum leak so it won't pass inspection. And every time I'm at the gas station now and I go to start my car after filling it up with gas my car won't start without me revving the engine. Let's just say I will never ever or will any of my family members ever buy another VW. They are literally all lemons as my cousin has one with a lot of the same issues including the transmission issues.

From hearing all the reviews I wonder are we all driving the same car. Bought my daughter who is just turning 18 a 2004 Beetle. Was keeping it to test drive before I gave it to her but after driving it for a few days, scared to give it to her for some of the same problems everyone else has described - airbag light, jerking transmission, top around back window come apart, back window regulator interior falling apart. I thought I was going to make daddy's little girl happy but back to the dealership I go NOT for another Beetle. I can guarantee you that.

I love so much of this vehicle, it is so much fun to drive but the problems with the electronics have been endless. I am the original owner of my 2000 Beetle and have had problems from the get go! Biggest problem is all of the lights on the dash coming on ALL OF THE TIME. Ignored them because they all came on at the same time so figured it was some kinds of failure. Well, I found out after about 6 months of driving it and it was driving me crazy that I had no airbag, had it fixed (under warranty), the dealership had my car for 6 weeks.

15 years later, again airbag light comes on. I have been driving it for several years like that now because not under warranty, I can't afford to have it fixed… Am I driving with no air bag? I have no idea! Trunk light comes on all the time, automatic windows don't work half the time and then they suddenly do. Very frustrating. Sunroof leaked for years, but not in the last several years. Trunk opens only with key, not from button on door. Why did I say I loved this car? Oh, Yea, it's cute!

This car has been in and out of the shop for this sensor or that sensor and it has had 3 relay switches. VW customer care is awful to deal with and could care less about your car owning experience. Expect little to no care from the care advocates. I would tell anyone who ask to avoid owning a Volkswagen three year lease or five years of owning can quickly become a very long and miserable time to wait to get something new. Expect lots of service appointments and wasted time correcting the same issues over and over again.

First time ever owning a 2004 Volkswagen beetle and I bought it from a gal off Craigslist. It has 88,000 miles on. It runs smooth. New tires, oil clean, looked pretty good, very dirty but hey I know how to clean. I bought it during dusk. He put a toggle switch in for some cool lighting inside the car. I liked that and third day of having it it’s going in the shop and it needs brakes. All way round cost me 240 fronts, 240 for the backs and then it needed a timing belt, Parts and labor 700 for that. So almost 1,300 dollars and I paid 3,500 for the car.

I hope now I can enjoy the car. I pray I didn’t make a wrong decision on picking this car. My husband wanted a Dodge Caliber. I got this car. Thought it was cute. Price seemed good so I bought it. So is this car no good or what? I’m hearing so many bad stories on these cars but yet I don’t see many on Craigslist for sale so idk it. German car should be well built. I’m thinking about buying an extended warranty on caok. I bought tint for the windows and I paid for a real good detail inside and out.

The clutch went out on me and I barely made it home, it was one scary ride I tell you. I bought this car as a used vehicle with no implied warranty. I only drove it for 3,023 miles and now it is a piece of junk. I am very poor, 74 years old and cannot afford the thousands of dollars to fix it. I am no mechanic either. For now I am going to just push it into my garage, cover it up and here is where I need some advice. When the payment notice comes from Wells Fargo Dealer Services I am not going to pay another 263.00 dollars. I will wait for them to claim it. My question to you is what will happen to me with this decision I am going to make?

I purchased a 2004 Beetle, automatic. I did have to replace the thermostat, and a seat belt. I am praying to God that it gets me through the fall. I have 1 mechanic take care of it. I have had no other real problems, thank God.

My first 1998 Beetle was manual, no mechanical problems but @40,000 I totalled it on black ice, hit a tree dead center hood. NO AIRBAGS DEPLOYED! My 2002 bought new also manual, had a contact that needed replacing to prevent overheating (possibly to water pump?). I just bought a used 2008 automatic. Hope it works out...

Purchased my first Beetle in 2013 and fell in love..... Until we got in an accident and flipped over a telephone pole... I survived, and yes I must say that was my fault... Or a curse? Maybe, listen to this. I finally saved for a new bug and now it stalls when I come to a stop! It's an automatic too! And i just shrugged it off. I needed a car and I didn't mind restarting it every once in a while! That was until it would just turn off while I was driving!!!! Yes or even during mid turn it would just shut off and my wheel would lock up!

This car has a mind of its own and it's trying to kill me. I'm guessing cause it didn't kill me in the first accident! And now the coolant temp light comes on and turns off randomly. I think I have an oil leak because randomly I will have no oil! My check engine light comes on all the time and yesterday I was driving to work and my car stopped accelerating in the middle of the road! I had my foot pushed to the floor! Then suddenly my speedometer went out! I pulled over and said "I was DONE! I am never buying a bug again." NEVER BUY THESE CARS. THEY HAVE A MIND OF THEIR OWN AND WANT TO KILL YOU.

My 2003 New Beetle Bug died today and have no idea where to begin to repair it. I have been noticing a burning/smoke/hot smell for about a month now. The car has been idling hard when stopped. Shifting gears has been hard and or slipping. Brake light on and there is a constant beeping that will NOT shut off! I have also noticed the past 2 weeks while driving, the car seems to lose power while diving... pulls back and slows down. Tonight, battery light, oil light, ABS light, service engine light, all came on. One headlight on... one off (??) Under hood was extremely hot!!! I only drove it about 1/2 mile then home... got it home and it died. Car started with a jump but that didn't last long. It started shaking a bit... all lights dimmed and died again (???) What to do?

My daughter has a 2009 VW Beetle and I have had 3 repairs, similar repairs done with her power windows - all separate but the same part malfunctioning (window regulator). I googled this problem and have found other people who have had similar problems - have called VW Corp Customer service but they are offering no relief on the cost... which is ~$700-$800. Very unhappy the VW has not taken responsibility for this recurring problem.

Purchased 2001 Beetle for cash brand new. Shortly thereafter, electrical system died. I took it back to dealer in Glendale, CA and he informed me that there was nothing he could do. It has been sitting in my garage for years now because I can't find anyone to fix it. Please help.

2002 bug - had it for 8 years nothing but problems, have replaced every major component water pump, fuel pump, injectors to name a few. Dash lights always on for one reason or another especially air bag light. It's 2 to 3000 every time gets to shop. Why kept it so long? Wanted to keep till it was a classic. Lol, I should of bought it and parked it..

Volkswagen Beetle Company Profile