3.69/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Volkswagen Beetle

The iconic Volkswagen Beetle is a compact car that has overgone several design changes, including a recent convertible option. Read more Volkswagen reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Volkswagen Beetle Reviews

Original review: June 27, 2019

I bought my 2013 Volkswagen find me used car dealership in June of 2018. I fell in love with it. When I first saw it and I had to have it for about a month I noticed that the key gets stuck in the ignition and won't turn the car off. Today it took me about an hour to turn the car off. I called the dealership who stated it would be $800 to change out the key cylinder. I've gone online and I realize that this seems to be a problem with the 2013 Volkswagen Beetle and I'm very surprised that it has not been recalled. This is just a nightmare.

Original review: March 28, 2019

In 2016, I purchased a used 2013 VW Beetle. I chose a VW for its safety and premium quality, a vehicle that was safe and less likely to have mechanical breakdowns or issues. This winter, December 7th, 2018, was a cold day in central Indiana. My daughter, now a sophomore in college, was opening her driver side door to get her scraper because of the ice on her VW Beetle. When she opened the door, the quarter window cracked and broke, quickly spreading. Although the pane remained mostly intact, the window crackled loose through the entire area and small glass pieces fell around the floor and seat. This damage cost me $500 to cover my insurance deductible while the rare quarter window, priced at over $400 from VW, needed to be specially ordered and replaced.

Even the body shop was perplexed by the damage and speculated that perhaps a proper lubricant was not used when the manufacturing company installed the windows. I don’t understand how a VW vehicle’s glass window cannot sustain North American cold temperatures, exteriorly parked, and that it would cost me so much to repair. I did not anticipate such poor quality of construction and material, as well as questionable durability and strength. I would not expect to have the glass of a VW window to break simply due to icy conditions.

When I sent a letter directly to VW Customer Care in Auburn Hills, MI, expressing my concern and disappointment, I received a cordial letter saying it was no longer covered outside the warranty parameters and therefore VW would not financially assist or compensate for this negative and unexpected damage. I hope this review helps anyone deciding to purchase a VW who lives in areas of cold, icy winter conditions... When winter is coming, VW doesn’t seem to care.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I purchased a used 2009 Beetle Convertible in December. To make a long story short it has been at a VW dealer waiting for a new instrument cluster 1C0920801L since the week of Dec 18, without any progress. About a month ago I contacted Volkswagen Customer CARE directly. All they will say is that the part is on national backorder, and there is no plan to produce it. I should get a rental or see if I can drive it as is. The problem with these clusters is that the solder goes bad over time, and because it also contains the security system eventually the car will go 'completely dead'. Obviously the company is not very concerned about the owners.

Original review: July 26, 2018

My 2004 VW Beetle Convertible still runs awesome but my top, door panels tore away from the door, both side, leaks or raining in the car, all over, leather seats rotten, electrical system damaged... and other issues.

Original review: June 21, 2018

The 2013 VW Beetle Convertible is such a fun German car. Once we saw this car we fell in love and there was no turning back. It's really stylish and we get a lot of attention when we drive it. It has great gas mileage and acceleration and parking is wonderful. I like the price and availability. There's also plenty of headroom and the back seats fold down. And there is a net that covers the back seat and stands up for a nice windbreak. However, it needs more cup holders, more leg room in the back and Hawaiian seat covers. It had been in a really bad hail storm and we can't decide if we are going to have it fixed or just enjoy the character.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Volkswagen Beetle?

Original review: June 13, 2018

I love the way the Beetle looks. It's fun to drive and it was a plus that it was a convertible and red. It drives well, has a good pick up, handles well on the road and gets good gas mileage. However, the inside of the car looks very old. It's cracking all over and any piece of plastic is broken. I would definitely make a sturdier plastic. Also, inside car door is falling apart. And the convertible top seems to go off track sometimes. Seems to be in the repair shop quite a bit. I would choose another car.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Got in a rear end car accident today in my 2014 Volkswagen Beetle, the person hit me at 60 mph, I was at a stop and she was texting and driving. The damages I have is only a dented bumper and scratched paint, the other car is completely demolished and was immobile. My beetle was completely fine. So thankful, it could have been much worse. 10/10 recommend. Pictures are the other vehicle vs mine.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2016

I purchased a 2006 Beetle convertible in 2007. It was the dealer's test drive car and only had 1000miles. In the last couple of years I have been having nothing but problems with it. The oil light comes on, saying it's overheating, in the middle of winter in PA. I have replaced all O2 sensors and the check engine light comes right back on. The rear passenger side window will not go up, due to a broken wire in the regulator. The rear back glass is separating from the canvas top. And last and certainly not least the leatherette interior is cracking and tearing on both front seats!

I'm sad to say this is the last VW I will probably ever buy. I have owned a Jetta and Cabrio before and never had a single problem. I just can't believe they have gone so far downhill from 1999 to 2006. Get yourself together VW! You have made me so disappointed, I looked into buying a 2016 beetle convertible. You have not improved anything, and there is much you need to. My advice is if you have to buy one make sure you have the warranty for everything, and get rid of it the second it's out. Even simple cosmetic fixes are ungodly expensive!:'(

Original review: Nov. 23, 2016

2014 VW beetle is a lemon. I am unable to drive this car in the winter. If it is below zero the frameless windows freeze on this car. When you unlock the car the windows should drop down an inch to open the door. When it's cold the window won't drop making it impossible to get into your car. I'm not even talking freezing rain or a blizzard. Even parking in a garage doesn't help. If it's cold you will not get in. I had to replace my brakes & rotors on this 2-year old car with 43000 km on it. VW dealer told me if you do not drive much the VW brakes will rust. I can't drive this car in the winter therefore I had to get new brakes & rotors.

I have rust which VW denied fixing under the warranty. I can't drive this car in the winter & it's stored in a garage all winter. How can I possibly have rust all around the front windshield? VW told me not to drive it in the winter as there is no solution to the window problem. What a terrible company. No customer support & they do not stand behind their cars. Beware of buying any VW as the warranty means nothing.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2016

I purchased a 2003 Volkswagen convertible. It was fine until the warranty was over. Unfortunately I didn't purchase an extended warranty. This is a must for these cars! I only have 81,000 miles and the electrical harness went out causing every light imaginable to go on and I had to make an emergency exit off Highway 17. I have also had to replace the transmission. The roof has separated from the window, but the most infuriating thing is that the window regulators keep breaking to the tune of approximately $800 each window. I am now on my 4th window regulator. The regulator must be a manufacturing default that I have now had to be responsible for. I have spent $3,200 just to make my windows go up and down because the window regulator part is probably plastic and breaks. So much for German Engineering! My Lexus has been wonderful and has twice as many miles on it. I will never buy a Volkswagen again no matter how "cute" they look.

Volkswagen Beetle Company Information