Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
Quirk Ford
3.65/5
Based on 17 reviews that contain star ratings

Quirk Ford

Quincy, MA

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

37 Quirk Ford Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 9, 2004

Original review: March 24, 2004

I purchased a new 2002 Ford Focus from Quirk Ford in July 2002. I've taken my car to them for all preventative maintenance, every 3 months, ever since. On January 31, 2004, I paid more than $200.00 for one of their preventative maintenance service packages (Service C) which included checking the brakes and brake pads. I got my car back when they were finished servicing the vehicle and was told everything looked good.

The week before there was a grinding noise on occasion when I applied the brakes, but since Massachusetts has had tons of snow I figured it must be dirt on the brake pads, and believed this to be the case after my car got a clean bill of health at the preventative maintenance service. The day after service my brakes were still making a grinding noise, but by Monday it stopped again. Through out the next week it was on and off until Saturday (one week after service) it was so bad I didn't feel comfortable driving the car.

I drove back to Quirk Ford and asked them to look at it. I was told then that it desperately needed new brakes, and when I asked the service technician if I could drive it, he said no. They needed to be done right away. I spent $367.00 getting new brakes. He gave me $50.00 off since he agreed it should have been seen the week before.

I sent a letter to the service manager, Jay Larkin, and the General Manager, Tom Quirk, to which I have never even received a reply.

I spent $200 for preventative maintanence I didn't actually get. I don't believe that they serviced my car properly, otherwise they would have seen that I needed new brakes on January 31, 2004.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2003

These guys are so dishonest they make Enron look like boy scouts.

Unfortunately, a family friend and I didn't find this out until it was too late. Hopefully those of you researching Quirk on the web will read these stories before making the same mistake we did. Here's our tale:

Our friend bought a pre-owned 1996 Ford Windstar with approximately 55,000 miles from Quirk in April 2002. Fortunately, she also purchased an extended warranty from a third-party, but I'll get to that later.

At the end of three months (conveniently, just after the 90 day Lemon Law term expired!), the transmission needed to be rebuilt. Quirk sub-contracted the work out to a local shop. Sure enough, less than 1 year later, the transmission problems re-appeared.

At first, Jay Larkin, the Service Manager, denied there was a problem. He then referred our friend to the local shop that performed the work, who denied the work had even been done, muttering something about a money dispute with Quirk. So she then returned to Quirk, which agreed to resolve the matter.

After a week without a car, Quirk still denied there was a problem. So she picked the car up, and less than a few days later, the transmission problems reappeared. This time, when she brought the car into Quirk, the Service Department instantly recognized the transmission problem and, incredulously, also realized the engine needed to be rebuilt! And so she once again left the car for service and drove away in a rental car they provided.

Over the next two weeks, she called and visited the dealership several times to check on the status of the repair, but was repeatedly told they had not yet received authorization from the Warranty company. During this time, Quirk had completely disassembled the engine and the transmission in order to seek authorization from the warranty adjuster.

After nearly two weeks of limbo, Quirk finally called my distraught friend back and said they still didn't have authorization, but offered to sell her another car... I can only assume to avoid having to make the repair. At this point, no written acknowledgment of the problem or estimate of repair costs had been furnished to our friend, even though they had completely disassembled the entire drive train of the car in order to try and fix the problem! I likened it to a contractor dissambling your house's entire plumbing and electrical system, then not providing a written estimate of how much it would cost to put everything back together. Unbeliveable, right?

This is where I intervened on our friend's behalf to help sort out her options. When I inquired about the authorization, Jay said it had been provided a week earlier, but that our friend wanted '...to get into another car,' which is why the work had not yet been done. He was happy to acknowledge over the phone that the car needed a new engine and that the valve body on the transmission was cracked, but he steadfastly refused to provide a written acknowledgment of that fact. This, of course, was a lie, because I called the warranty company to inquire if authorization had indeed been given for the repair, and their reply was 'no.' The adjuster I spoke with confirmed they had talked about coverage with Quirk, but that nothing had been authorized. Moreover, the adjuster said the transmission work wouldn't even be covered, since the contract didn't cover service defects.

The bottom line is that Quirk sold our friend a lemon, then screwed up by sub-contracting out the original transmission work to a cut-rate shop. And while grudingly acknowledging there was a problem, they manipulated the truth to limit their financial exposure. I can only guess they were concerned that a written confirmation of the problem or estimate of repairs would be incriminating. The honest thing to do would have been to admit they sold her a bad car, own up to the poor sub-contracting decision and hold our friend harmless. But that's probably too much to ask from these clowns.

Ironically, the Google entry below this complaint site is an entry recording Quirk's good standing status with the Southeastern Massachusetts Chapter of the Better Business Bureau. What a joke! In addition to fighting your battles out with Quirk and holding them to every penny they owe you, as well as seeking legal redress where appropriate, the most effective, cheapest and easiest thing any of you can do to demonstrate there's a consequence to this kind of F... You attitude is to lodge a complaint with the BBB, as it will establish a permanent record of their tactics. Perhaps then it will spur more of us to pause in the future before throwing our money to Quirk -- the only thing these unethical businessmen seem to care about.

The car, at best is worth, less than $2,000, several thousand dollars below what our friend owes on the loan.

Original review: June 24, 2003

I stumbled onto this site and noticed other postings about Quirk Dealerships and thought I would add my own. I'm pretty dissapointed in myself for not pushing back on Quirk for this situation but hopefully by posting this, others may be forewarned.

I bought a 2000 Explorere XLT from Quirk Ford about two years ago. It was used but we were excited about it because the truck was fully loaded and only had about 4,100 miles on it. We asked if it had been in any accidents and we were told it hadn't. We were told it was part of an executive rental program in Canada and that they often switch out cars and we got lucky because this one had such low mileage. We agreed on a price and I went to pick the truck up three days later. When I picked up the truck, the milage had gone from just about 4,100 to just over 8,000.

I guess in the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal but what they had obviously done is sold the truck and then used it a TON over the three days to avoid putting miles on an unsold vehicle. Also... about a week and a half later, when the wax job they put on it worn off, you could tell that the front passenger quarter panel had been replaced because the red paint was much more dull then the rest of the truck. Over time, it's faded unevenly from the rest of the truck to the point where it's easily noticed that the truck had the part replaced, even after a heavy waxing. Yeah, maybe it wasn't in an accident but it's absolutely had body work done to it. Who knows, maybe because it was from Canada, they weren't required to file the damage report.

I live about two miles from Quirk Ford, know know a couple people who have bought cars from there and not one of us will ever make that mistake again.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2002

My car has been recalled 4 times. I have a 2000 Ford Focus. I had an incident Friday night, January 18, 2002 where my key would not go into the ignition. I called Ford Emergency Road Service to come and tow my car to Quirk Ford. While waiting for the truck, I called the Service Department at Quirk.

I was told by Walter that there had been a bulletin floating around about ignition problems with other Focuses. Why it isn't considered a recall yet, I don't know.

Well, the tow truck showed up and the driver insisted on getting the key in, which he was successful at. He obviously did not want to tow the car leaving me with the dilemma of getting home from the dealership after hours after driving the car myself.

As I was signing paperwok that the car had actually been towed (I assume the driver gets paid more for an actual tow), the door to my car closed and locked with the key in the ignition and the car running! Well, 45 minutes later the driver was able to break in through the driver side door, causing scratches and pulling apart some of the rubber insulation.

I drove the car home and left it for Monday morning, when, wouldn't you know it, the key wouldn't go in. I called 24 hour service and to Quirk Ford the car went. I asked them to fix the ignition, take care of the rear wheel bearings and seal installation (another recall of sorts), and give me an estimate on fixing the chipped paint and rubber that happened when the tow truck driver broke in to my car.

Now, I had to take a day off of work, unpaid, to spend literally hours on the phone with customer service and file a claim with Emergency Road Service to get the damage taken care of so that I don't have to pay for it.

I asked Jay at Quirk to please make sure the estimate for the window get taken care of as Emergency Road Service Claims Center needed two estimates. He assured me it would get done. Well, it did not!

I left with my car today, in a hurry to make it to work. When I arrived at work, I realized that the estimate was not there. I called Jay. He informed me (after finally returning my phone call) that the guys in body repair didn't notice anything wrong. I am no mechanic and I can certainly see where the damage is. I feel as though I have been lied to. In fact, when I called the first time, I spoke to Walter who told me I had to go to a body shop for an estimate. So, then Jay told me he forgot to call me and ask me anything about where the damage is. Well, obviously.

This is not the first time I have received such horrible service from Quirk. I feel completely taken advantage of. Now I have to go to another body shop, taking hours out of my day and losing pay, to go and get an estiamate.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Quirk Auto Dealers?

Original review: Dec. 30, 2001

We were planning to buy a new 2002 Ford or Chevy truck either a Ford Ranger or Chevy S10. We thought we would go to Quirk since he owned both business and check out the prices and test drive the trucks. We first were shown around the parking lot then Chris went to get a truck for us to test drive. It took over 45 minutes for him to FIND the truck for us to test drive. After we took the drive we went back and they were looking at our car to give us an estimate. They only had 2 trucks with the specifications we wanted one RED and one GOLD. We actually wanted a dark vehicle either black or blue. They told us they did not have any 2002 trucks coming in. We were asked if we wanted the GOLD truck we test drove and we said we wanted to get all the figures and then we wanted to go and test drive a Chevy. Because we would not sign on the dotted line, they REFUSED to give us an estimate or even talk about what the truck would cost us. We waisted two hours of our time with these people and they dismissed us. Needless to say, we did not go to Quirk Chevy to see their trucks. We did, however, go to other dealers on the South Shore and got facts and figures immediately. We can't believe how rude these people were. If your planning to spend over $20,000 you should be able to choose the color vehicle you prefer and at the very least get extimates and prices. I hope people read your column so that they can choose to go to a more reputable dealer.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2001

After reading some of the real horror stories other consumers have endured, I feel a somewhat foolish writing about my experience because it seems so trivial in comparison. That being said.... I purchased a 2000 Ford F-150 4x4 XLT in December of 1999. All sales brochures, dealer spec sheets, and internet web pages, including those web pages "Powered by Ford Motor Company", ALL state the XLT comes standard with carpeted floor mats. The only place I didn't see them as standard was in the vehicle I purchased.

I was told that Ford eliminated them as standard equipment. These documents are tools used by the consumer to see what comes with the vehicle. My dealer tells me that since Ford changed the options packages, I should contact Ford. When I contacted Ford the first time, they told me they don't intervene on sales issues with dealers and I should try to resolve it with the dealership. After another go-around with Quirk, I sent another note off to Ford expalining to them how disappointed I was at not receiving the mats.

Here's their response:

Thank you for your message of 02/23/00 regarding your 2000 Ford F-150. We appreciate the time you have taken to write us regarding the floor mats for your vehicle. As previously communicated to you on 02/22/00, we feel that every consideration has been given to this matter and was appropriately addressed in our prior response. If any additional information regarding this matter should become available in the future, we would appreciate you letting us know. This will be our last written communication to you on this concern, however, if you would like to discuss this matter any further, please contact us directly at our Customer Assistance Center. Mr. McCarthy, we encourage and welcome you to communicate with us again via e-mail should you have a different issue or inquiry. At Ford Motor Company, we consider the satisfaction of our customers as one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them. Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

They felt "that every consideration was given to this matter." Did I miss something? They sent me back to the dealer. If items can listed as standard equipment in the tools that a consumer uses to make informed decisions and we're told verbally that they're not included, what other "standard" accessories will be eliminated in the future? I can understand (almost) that sales brochures are printed ahead of time, however in this "age of the Internet," there is no excuse to have items listed as standard equipment when they were eliminated six months earlier. I am really disappointed I cannot get the mats. You would think that after spending $22,000+, I could get a set of $75 floor mats.

This is false advertising. If Dennis has the time, he should pursue it by filing against Quirk in Small Claims Court. Better yet, he should send a copy of his complaint to the Federal Trade Commission.

Quirk Ford Company Information