Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services

Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services

Portfolio Protection offers vehicle service contracts, also called extended warranties, that pay for the cost of repairs for covered components. These service contracts are available for automobiles, RVs, motorcycles and powersport vehicles. Portfolio Protection also provides asset protection plans, theft deterrent products and maintenance programs.

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks:

Endurance Auto Warranty

Endurance Warranty

View Plan
Protect My Car

Protect My Car

View Plan

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicle Protection Products?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

Purchased GAP insurance. Week later a guy hits my truck and it's a total loss. Portfolio says no refund since vehicle was totaled. Insurance paid off vehicle. Never Again!!!! Said it in contract. WOW!

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Bryan, We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Your GAP Contract includes the following cancellation language: "In the event of a Total Loss, the GAP Purchase Price will be considered fully earned and no refund will be available." We understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

I bought a warranty in 2016 for my truck. The first time I used the warranty was in 2021 at a repair shop near my house. This experience was somewhat ok. I went to use the warranty again at the end of January 2022. At this time I was told that I could not use the dealership 1 mile from my house because there was a 40 mile tie back to the original dealership in my contract. I was told that I had to bring my truck back to the original dealership because it was only 38.4 miles away. That route is all back roads. If I take the more direct highway route it is 42 or 44 miles away.

I called Portfolio and was told that if the dealership I bought the truck at would waive the tie back I could get the truck fixed at the local dealership. I spoke to the dealership where I bought. The truck and they attempted to help me. They tried to cancel the mileage tie back but now Portfolio would not allow them to do so. Now I am stuck with a $170 diagnostic fee from the dealership close to my house and still have to bring the truck to they dealership I bought the warranty at. The dealership has been great in trying to fix the situation but Portfolio claims that there is nothing they can do.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

We purchased a brand new 2021 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE at our local dealership (Salt Lake Valley CDJR, 2309 S State St, SLC UT 84115) and they included 5 Portfolio Warranty products in our purchase contracts that cost us in total of $6795 of which we do not have any knowledge about, the word 'warranty' did not came up once and we were told everything is standard while the contract is signed by sales manager on his iPad in a rush. Only did we realize what happened when viewing our contract afterwards electronically. We immediately requested cancelation but received pushback from selling dealership, we then contacted Portfolio via email, phone, and physical mail and were not yet receiving any help to void or cancel these warranty products.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Zhou, I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing delays with cancelling with your selling dealership. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Contract Administration Supervisor, Yolanda Medina, at 800-705-4001.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I purchased the high-tech warranty on my preowned Chevy truck - dealer told me this warranty would cover everything (absolutely everything). How crazy of me to believe the dealership. I never received any details about my warranty. After bringing my truck months after purchase for an oil change I had an accident (fell on a cracked sidewalk) ended up very hurt. My warranty of course states I must bring truck to dealership for coverage, I called Portfolio to request they waive this as I cannot go to this dealership due to legal issues (even sent them documentation). After at least 15-20 calls this was never addressed or even documented by them. Still isn't.

3 months ago truck broke down and I brought it to a nearby garage (the whole time calling portfolio and discussing my issue). I paid over $1,000 out of pocket. As of today this issue is still not fixed. I was told to submit a claim to their "REVIEW BOARD" who by the way has NO PHONE NUMBER. After 2 1/2 months and again multiple phone calls by me I received an email of denial for 1. didn't go to dealership where purchased, 2. fuel pump had rot so NOT COVERED - ARE YOU KIDDING ME? - and oxygen sensor less money than $100 deductible. Even if I go on ** I cannot see my terms and conditions, it is not there. But again I am told that is the dealership's fault not theirs. And there is NO APPEAL AT ALL WITH THIS COMPANY. I waited on hold for over 30 minutes to speak with a supervisor and of course none are available.

Please don't waste your money on this company. The stress, frustration and time isn't worth it. They are just out to make money and they are! Customer Service are like robots and can never really help. I'm beyond frustrated and angry at how this company operates. I will be shocked if a supervisor actually calls me back as promised. In fact I know they won't, that is how they operate.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not explained to you by your selling dealership. We can provide a copy of your Agreement. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

My vehicle is covered by an extended warranty administered by Portfolio Protection. My vehicle has a bad front hub bearing covered by the warranty. I called the dealership where I purchased the warranty to schedule repairs. The dealership is 3 weeks behind do to limited technicians. I took my vehicle to a licensed repair facility who confirmed my vehicle hub bearing was bad. The repair facility contacted the warranty company who took the information then stated the repair was denied due to the fact that I was not more than 40 miles from the dealership I purchased it from. The repair shop said this repair needed to be done asap and that the dealership was 3 weeks out for the repairs. The repairs were still denied. I contacted the warranty company when I left the dealership and was told they must stick to the contract.

The contract also states that if emergency repairs are needed after hours repairs can be authorized at any licensed repair facility so why would this be any different. It is not my fault that the dealership. I bought the warranty from is 3 weeks behind. This is unreasonable and even the warranty representative agreed it was unreasonable. However refused to help any further. BEWARE before purchasing this agreement. There are loopholes. I now have to wait 3 weeks for repairs.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Original review: July 9, 2021

I purchase a used 2016 Explorer in April of 2019 with only 20K miles on it. The Ford bumper to bumper warranty expires and the powertrain would expire in 2 years. I was told by the dealer representative that this was an extended service plan beyond the bumper and bumper warranty and that it would cover everything like a bumper and bumper warranty would for 5 years/100K for $2800. My deductible was $100 and I did have to use the extended warranty a few times on my Explorer which helped keep more in money in my pocket. The only negative is that what the dealer representative didn't say was that it was an IN SERVICE Extended Warranty that in 2 years this warranty will expire, since the vehicle was first purchased by the first owner in 2016.

I just don't understand why someone would sell me a 5 year/100K plan for 2 years. Plus when I signed the agreement they never gave me anything that showed what it covered nor did they tell me that I can get refund. Is it even possible to get a refund for the remaining 3 years of this extended warranty that I have no use for since I can't use it? Pulling the wool over my eyes for sure, yes I was dumb not to question and get it in writing, but the Dealer Representative is also at blame for misrepresenting this warranty as a 5 year and not a 2 year.

So my question is, can I get a refund of the balance I'm paying for something I can't use or do I just eat it. Also In Service Warranty Contracts should never apply to USED VEHICLES!! Other than that, I meeting with the dealership tomorrow to figure this out because I just found out my warranty won't cover my oil leak or turbo leak and I'll be paying close to $1500 out of pocket for something that was misrepresented to me as a extended bumper to bumper warranty at expiration of 5 years/100K not 2 years. Please Portfolio no dealership should be allowed to use a In Service Warranty on a USED vehicle. Oh BTW I only received the top page and not rest of the pages, they didn't present them, which should of been a red flag.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your confusion. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. For future buying reference, it is fairly standard for all extended warranties to expire based on in-service date, since it is meant to compliment the manufacture's warranty on a brand new vehicle.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I've seen it a few times already, they look for terms to deny your coverage. My exhaust manifold is covered, my engine is covered, but the bolts that attach the two together? Sorry, not covered. The crankshaft and the rod are covered, but not the pin that holds them together. Attachment points are the weakest part of any component, but they only cover when a component itself fails, not any of the parts that hold it together despite them still being essential to the part.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: May 4, 2021

I wouldn't even give 1 star if the system didn't make me. It'd be a negative 5. I had a completely different understanding of GAP coverage and it's purpose until I had to learn the hard way just recently. I traded in a vehicle in OCT 2015 - the amount that was rolled into my new loan/vehicle was recommended that I purchase the GAP coverage to protect that amount that I was upside down on if something happened. So I purchased it by the recommendation of the sales guy (whom I trusted) and as I've always thought that GAP coverage is pretty simple - if there's a total loss and a difference in pay off from what is paid from the car insurance (plus in my situation the amount that was rolled into my loan) that pretty cut and dry.

So decided to include on my loan and have comfort in knowing that if anything were to happen before I was able to get the car paid off I had a cushion to help w/ the loan difference. Well fast forward to April 2021. I am in the last months of being closer to paying off my loan this fall, and have put about $2000 into it the last year to help w/ the longevity of it, rotors, wheel bearings, that sort of stuff etc...and more so looking forward to not having a car payment then purchase another vehicle in a year/two or more - whenever this one was no longer able to run... Then I get T boned - and NOT MY FAULT. I was able to get the other drivers insurance company to pay out more for the total loss on my loan in an effort to lower what GAP would pay out (thinking they would pay the difference or at least help with something) the remaining amount is approx $2300 balance to zero out the loan.

I made a claim, submitted all the paperwork - been up to date on payments (I would either do monthly or per my bank do 2 payments every other month in a big sum and there would be no issues w/ credit or fees). OR when the holidays would roll around I would defer a month payment to help w/ the holidays or pay on another bill. Not thinking anything of it - because I never read the fine print - nor did the bank or dealership explain how GAP truly works, and how I've always understood it is NOT how it is. Maybe in some situations it would make sense to have - but it was an absolute waste of money in my case. Had I known or had it been a little better explained and not misled w/ false info I wouldn't have purchased it. But I was misled of the coverage/exclusions when I agreed to purchase it.

My fault for not reading the fine print - but w/ exclusions & stipulations like that I do believe there needs to be a discussion had w/ the salesman/dealership with the consumer or the bank and their client on what can potentially be an issue by doing the deferrals offered. I am insurance agent and although it may not be much - I deal people and new vehicle purchases everyday and also have a very large network of people both personally and professionally - I WILL be making sure to be telling anyone and everyone I know if they purchased GAP - to find out what company it's with, and if it's w/ Portfolio to cancel if they can and find another provider at all costs.

I unfortunately have learned my lesson the hard hard in a circumstance that was not even my fault. I just purchased a new car, not because I wanted to, and realized that the extended warranty on my new loan that I thought was in house through the dealership - it is not. It is w/ Portfolio, and just under $3500 of my loan - I will be doing everything possible to get that off my contract ASAP - as I have learned aside to all the fine print they also don't disclose all the ways they will do everything possible to get out of paying a dime to help a consumer out after they have paid for something to support their business.

Portfolio will NEVER get one more dime out of me or anyone I know that is within my recommendation or control. I will also be contacting an attorney to review not only this GAP coverage I purchased 5+ years ago, but review the warranty contract on my new car and getting it removed if there should be any issues. Well played Portfolio - that warranty and new GAP coverage that totaled about around $4500 that you just got paid for on my new car and the SMALL amount I needed to take care of my old car loan that I had paid for - joke is on you and essentially you will be losing money.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. It is primarily standard for GAP policies to cover a Net Balance, across all GAP Providers, which does not include missed, deferred, and delinquent payments. Our policies include language detailing what is covered and what is not covered, which includes cancellation instructions. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

I got a small chip in my windshield from some road debris and I was relieved that I purchased glass coverage. I called the number on my contract and talked to a friendly representative who collected my information and requested that I send a picture of the damage. They said a technician will call me within 48/hours. A technician met me in front of my home and repaired the chip quickly and everything was completed with social distancing in mind. My windshield looks good as new & the whole process was really convenient. Excellent coverage & service!

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Thanks for the awesome review, Fouad! We work hard to meet expectations like yours, and we’re happy to hear we hit the mark for you. We look forward to serving you again. Regards, Maysoon Ben-Ghaly

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

How about a experience from the middle man? I am the person that handles calling and submitting claims for approval. I have been in the automotive industry for about 7 years and have worked with many extended warranties. This service experience has deterred me from ever wanting to buy and or work with this company. When starting the claim the mileage was submitted wrong when the contract was purchased, that held back the claim process for two business days. After the mileage was corrected I submitted the repair estimate for review. The claims representative stated the review can takes 24-48 hours (unbeknownst to me it was working hours not days). This was just to review if an inspector was needed. Finally 4 days later they stated they were sending and inspector to review the vehicle, that would be another 24-48 hours.

The inspector came the next day and submitted the findings the same day (Friday) it took them another 2 days to review for approval or not. When I asked to speak the a manager they kept telling me they had no way of contacting the “review team”. They were a 3rd party and could only be emailed. All while the customer had no rental authorization until the claim was approved. Which maximum was 5 days.

When finally approved they stated they were sending a used part for the repair, and told me another 3-5 business days. Followed up on the 5th day for a status on the part and was told they had no idea where it was. By this point rental is over the vehicle has been here a total of 17 days and counting. And no status to give the customer as to when the vehicle will be completed. No management assistance, no helping the customer for their lack of reasonable time frame, no phone calls returned when said they were. The whole experience in my years of experience has been the absolute worst with this company. The amount of lack of caring about the customer has been overwhelming.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. The review process should not extend beyond 24 hours. Please contact our Director of VSC Claims, Neil Payne, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I would recommend not using this company for warranty work. The cost of a plan I feel they should have covered a failed loose axle bolt on a car we're still paying on. They say they cover parts such as axle and support of axle but then block payment because of a term like bolt, they use terms such as support but when a support fails they start to call on terms like bolts or fasteners and use word games so they can say no to coverage. Even when they don't have the term washer they turn around, call it a fashioner and the bolt is not a support for the Axle. They just take your money and do no work sometimes. Just trust me. Say no. Save the money. It's not gonna pay out. They will play Scrabble with part names.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Purchased this gap insurance top of the line plan for my son in case of an accident, well that accident happened and yes his fault, not really sure why I paid over 2,000 for this insurance to help cover the cost of the loan that was left over after insurance covered there portion,, 848.00 left over, only to hear them say months later, denied!!! That you're at fault with with the accident,, it's called an accident, nowhere in contract does it state that you won't cover for an accident... Rude people on the phone,, won't send me information I have requested,, I asked for the full contract in WRITING,, nope still have not received that,,, Portfolio is a Scam!!! Take your money and run!!!! Never again will I purchase gap insurance through this company... I'm glad your title has changed to private investigator and you were there to witness any of this!!!!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

All I have to say I will be using Portfolio plan in about 2 months the Warranty was put on by my dealership not by my choice, however after reading all the reviews across the nation from people with their experience using this company.. I had read my coverage and my brake calipers are covered..if they give me the runaround? About this issue I will Lawyer up and I have one, it's sad to read negative reviews from people being misguided and a company who can not back up their words or contract or better yet I'll get Judge Judy involved . Hahaha. Wish me luck folks. I refuse to be pushed and get the runaround. I also read many reports in the BBB section as well. So sad..ok. Portfolio best man up . It wouldn't be the first time I drove to a company in person and demand my rights to be honored.. We live in a greedy world, you pay out they don't cover. If that's the case close shop.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

Having purchased one of Portfolio's service plans in 2017 with the purchase of a new vehicle, I thought doing so was prudent, primarily due to the complexity of new cars these days. Just a shade over two years however, I traded in that vehicle for a newer model, which negated the need to maintain the remaining unused portion of my protection plan (five years). After all, a $1700.00 investment for a seven year plan is quite a bit for a plan which I had not exercised at all and no longer needed to retain.

After calling Portfolio, an associate asked that I submit various documents to confirm that I was requesting a refund, that I provide a certificate of mileage and lien holder information. Seemed reasonable enough. After faxing the information, I followed up to confirm that the associate had received what I faxed, but had to leave a message (reportedly, he was 'out to lunch'). No call back. I followed up several hours later (and after supposedly going through various PDF documents, as the associate referred to them), the associate acknowledged receipt. The associate seemed to tap dance however, around my primary concerns as to how much would be returned and when I might expect it. The best I could elicit was that Portfolio would process my request.

While I certainly don't wish to rush to judgment too quickly, I have to admit that I wasn't too terribly impressed or inspired as I felt as if I was simply dealing with a call in center, where one customer call was no more important than another. From my perspective, an uncomplicated refund request should be a relatively simple, straightforward process (especially since there was no lien holder involved and that I had not exercised any portion of my seven year plan at all). Yet, just over seven weeks later, still have no refund in hand. Perhaps I should feel fortunate that I wasn't filing an actual repair claim.

Having read various customer reviews about Portfolio, here and elsewhere, my initial impression of Portfolio (based upon my telephone conversation with one of their associates), hasn't been exactly great. Let's face it - getting refunds can sometimes be a bit more difficult than one might anticipate. While purchasing these extended protection plans seems like a wise investment, since each of us want to feel 'protected' from 'unforeseeable' repair issues, I'd wager that a respectable number of customers end up being disappointed along the way with these plans (home appliance plans, auto plans, etc. ), when they discover that they weren't as 'protected' as they believed when a claim is denied, for any number of a hundred reasons. One thing that I must confess to is that I didn't truly take into account (at the time of plan purchase), is that the administrators of these plans can deny claims using virtually any rationale that they choose to apply.

At the time or purchase of these plans, do any of us actually bother to read through all the pages of extremely fine print contained within these protection plan contracts? I didn't. There's so much fine print that one almost needs a magnifying glass to wade through each and every paragraph (presuming that we can fully comprehend all of the fine print (gobbly-gook, in my opinion), contained within). Even the wording about how refunds are calculated, in my situation, seems rather difficult to absorb.

Portfolio describes itself as the plan administrator (as do several other companies I've seen offering similar services in television ads), where they and their 'providers' are different entities (which may not anything particularly unusual). In my case however, the provider is "Express Systems" out of California. So the question becomes, just who is the customer (or the repair shop) supposed to be dealing with directly, when it comes to addressing an issue, getting work approvals, payment decisions or determining whether a claim is approved or not? One might logically presume it to be the plan administrator.

If you stop and think about it, the "administrator" and/or "provider" could theoretically, run a customer (or the repair shop) through all kinds of endless hoops as to whether or not a particular claim will be honored - after all, it's their interpretation of the plan which prevails, irrespective of what you paid for the plan. So just what position does this put the customer in when a claim is denied and they thought they were fully protected? Imagine the delays and disconnects (and potential disappointments) which could occur along the way when you're depending upon a timely responses and a claim is denied or you're having to deal with multiple entities?

Even though you've paid good money for your protection plan, it's almost as if it's a 50-50 proposition as to whether you're as fully covered as you believed. As complicated as cars have become these days, I would speculate that the list of excluded parts is probably quite large. Personally, I fail to understand (at least in part), why these protection plans absolutely must commence on the date your new vehicle is acquired, when the manufacturers warranty provides bumper to bumper protection for x number of miles/years, roadside assistance, etc.. Maybe I'm not seeing the entire picture.

In hindsight, I find myself asking when it comes to repairs, how many of us have actually taken into account that repairs may make use of 'used', 'like new' or re-manufactured parts? I'm guessing that most of us probably 'assume' that 1) we're fully covered and 2) that repairs, when needed, would consist of new or OEM parts -- ah, one should never 'assume'. If used or like new parts are used, just how long would those parts actually last and will your protection plan cover failures of those? In other words, the 'peace of mind' that we thought we purchased can (potentially) disappear quite quickly when the plan is put to the test - again, a 50-50 proposition in my opinion. If one's peace of mind is shattered (in the event the plan administrator decides that a certain repair, service or part isn't covered), just what recourse does the plan holder have? Probably, not much.

Consumers absolutely must do what I neglected to do prior to purchasing a plan. Do some online research beforehand (using various search engines), to seek out both positive and negative reviews of the company offering the plan. As I understand things, on a new vehicle purchase, you have a grace period in which you can opt into purchasing an extended protection plan and don't necessarily need to purchase a plan at that very moment. And reportedly, there's also a grace period in which one can cancel a protection plan without penalty (you should be able to cancel a plan at any time however, but will likely pay some sort of administrative fee in addition to a pro-rated calculated refund). Grace periods however, may vary.

Reputation, trustworthiness and credibility, one would think, would be of paramount importance to companies, where success hinges upon these qualities .. but, I have to wonder about where Portfolio stands, given the difficulties I have experienced in obtaining a simple refund.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

After being denied any service related to a broken transmission, dealing with rude service personnel on the phone, finding out that the implied warranty was way different than what is actually covered in the contract I requested a refund, still waiting after two months for my refund.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I purchased this plan when I bought my used Dodge Ram. The truck transmission failed after 56000. The warranty was good till 6/2021 and 75.000 miles but Portfolio kept saying it expired due to time, would not pay and dealer won't honor it. Either Contract was worthless.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I have been using Portfolio for many years and every time I call Beverly in VSC Administration with a request it gets handled. I can always count on Beverly to handle any request quickly and completely. Even if my request is outside Beverly's department, she works and follows up to make sure it gets handled. Beverly is my "go to" person when I need anything regarding contract tracking, inputting, rating, remitting etc. She is always professional, always polite and always happy to help. Thank you very much Portfolio and thank you very much Beverly!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I can't believe the Portfolio Extended Platinum Used car Warranty service wants the mechanic (a trusted Certified Mechanic) to use USED Parts to repair my car. I paid good money for the extended premium extended warranty. I was also surprised to find out that they keep refusing repair of parts that are clearly covered under the warranty in writing on the contract. They also refused to pay for the rental car during the diagnosis phase of repair and only covered up to a total of 5 days (smallest and cheapest car available) per PO#. They took weeks to make a decision and the auto mechanic had difficulty getting them to call him back to get approval for the repairs.

Portfolio also told the mechanic that they needed to come see the car before they could make a decision. This is still in progress of being approved and has not yet been approved. I'm very disappointed in this terrible Extended Warranty Company that Gladstone Mitsubishi sold me for my Chrysler 300 that I purchased off a separate lot, that I didn't realize was affiliated with. I'm super dissatisfied with both the Warranty Service and the Warranty contract and would never purchase another warranty from either company again. Beware of this fraudulent company!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

Bought a Portfolio extended service contract on my son’s Nissan Sentra as a “just in case” because he was going to graduate school a 12 hour drive from our home. Boy am I glad I did. The car had multiple issues (air compressor, transmission). My son was able to get the issues taken care of with relative ease. They even gave him a rental car so he wasn’t stuck without a car while they repaired his car. Thanks, Portfolio.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

They kept us waiting for 3 days, gave us the runaround, and frustrated us to no end without approving our claim even though they told our mechanic that the repairs were covered. I wound up canceling the contract. Would never recommend this scamming company to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

We purchased a 4 year extended service contract for our 2010 Tiffin Phaeton RV on June 19th, 2015 in the amount of $5680.00. On September of 2017 the Inverter in our RV went bad. We took it to Lazy Days for repair. It was required by Portfolio that we take it to the dealer we purchased it from for the repair. We were scheduled to go on our annual trip the next day, so after confirming with Portfolio that the inverter would be covered, we elected to pay Lazy Days directly so we didn't have to wait any longer to leave on our trip. The replacement and installation of the new inverter was $5060.20. I mailed the required documents to Portfolio on Oct 3rd. They requested the 1st page of the contract, the invoice and the paid receipt along with our contact info.

I called them on Oct 19, spoke to Rose. She said someone would call me back on the status of our reimbursement. No one did. I called Oct 22nd and spoke to Julio. He said it was under review and he could not confirm that they had received the documents I had mailed. Thinking the 1st envelope may have been lost in the mail, I mailed them again, Certified Mail. I got confirmation from the US Post Office that it was received Oct 26th, 2017. I called that day, they did not have it. Thinking it may be on someone's desk and not logged in to their system, I called back on 11/1. Rose could still not confirm it was received. She said a supervisor would call me back that day. No one called back. I called again this morning Nov 2nd and spoke to Rose. She said she escalated it by emailing a representative to call me back yesterday but no one responded. They give me no information and no assurance they are a legitimate company.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2016

I had to take my 2011 Ford Flex in for repairs. No problem, I thought, it's still under the extended warranty from Portfolio/First Extended Service Corp. Then I find out that even though I have the "Plan B" coverage, which is the "Plan P" and "Plan A" combined (or basically everything) they don't cover fuel pumps and I'm on the hook for over $1100. Thankfully I have an outstanding service rep at Santa Margarita Ford who called Portfolio and argued on my behalf and they agreed to reconsider and cover the repair. Portfolio then tagged me with a $100 deductible.

On my contract in box 2 "Check Deductible Amount" the item checked is Other and no amount is written in. This was intended to mean zero. Blank, null, empty, zero all pretty much mean the same in my book. Lo and behold in small print at the bottom of the contract is the line "A $100 Deductible will apply unless otherwise indicated in Box 2." The way I see it, checking the Other box does mean that something is "otherwise indicated", but not Portfolio. No, they want to squeeze you for every penny they can and get away with not paying for any repairs they can. This company is in the business of screwing consumers. Their entire business model is based on the premise of pay only when absolutely necessary and make that as difficult as possible. I'll never get another warranty from them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

I bought the extended warranty for $2250 at the dealership. 2 years later, I thought it would come in handy. WAS I WRONG. Car was towed 8/29/16 to the Pep Boys repair shop. On 9/7/16 Pep Boys called me to inform me that they could not get in contact with Portfolio Protection/First Extended Corp to authorize the work. They were concerned because the part was needing to be ordered. It was nice to know Pep Boys cared I had been without my car for a week. I told them I would see if I could make any progress - I called the warranty company only to be on hold for 15 min. The customer service guy was named Mike - I think. He was beyond rude. Did ZERO to help me. I asked if he could please have someone call Pep Boys since they obviously couldn't get through by pressing #1 for repair shops. He informed me they were an Inbound call center not an Outbound and it was Pep Boys job to call them.

I called Pep Boys and told them what I experienced. I told them to order the part and worse case scenario I would pay for it. I then sent an email to Portfolio Protection/First Extended notifying them of what happened. I've yet to this day get a response. 9/8/16 I call the warranty company again. This time I waited for 18 minutes before speaking to Christian. He was very nice and informed me the wait times were higher than usual and that Pep Boys were like me experiencing long wait times and maybe didn't have time to hold. He apologized to me for the experience I encountered with his co-worker the day before. He also asked what was the diagnosis on my car and said it would be covered. He told me to have Pep Boys call back in and instead of pressing the option for repair shops to press 2 for contract holders and ask for him. He would get them to an adjuster if one was available or get one scheduled.

9/12/16 Pep Boys called to ask when I was picking my car up. They never were able to get in contact with anyone. They told me they had 45 min hold times each time they called - sometimes less, sometimes more. 9/13/16 - I called the warranty company before picking my car up today. After waiting 22 minutes on hold I spoke to another horrible rep.

He informed me since the work was done, he and I had no business to discuss. He seemed to get agitated when I informed him of my conversation with Christian a few days prior. He must of gotten a promotion while we were on the phone because all of a sudden his title changed to "Adjuster" and I was out of luck. He REFUSED to transfer me to anyone above him. Said other shops get through all day and mine lied. He gave me a Bye Bye and hung up on me!!! I called the corporate 800 number only for a girl to transfer me right back to the customer service claims line. I picked up my car for $478. It should of only cost my deductible of $100. This company is a complete joke. I'm in the process of canceling the contract. They need to be reprimanded.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2014

In August 2014 the radio on my 2012 Hyundai Azera stopped working. Since the car contains a lot of electronic systems I purchased an extended coverage warranty from Portfolio/First Extended Service to cover just this type of eventuality. So walked in with my contract thinking I was in good shape, big mistake. My service department contacts Portfolio and they don't want to replace the radio - they want to try and see if they can fix it. To do this they need to remove the radio, ship it to a repair shop, have repair shop evaluate it to see if it can be repaired, order parts, wait for parts to arrive, perform the fix, then ship it back, then have it reinstalled. Total time period = 3 weeks.

The radio controls a bunch of systems on my car including backup camera, navigation, etc. So I explain that 3 weeks is an unacceptable timeline. They consult with adjusters saying it will take 24 hours. So 48 hours later I am told that they will only go with the original plan. My service department had offered to sell them the radio at cost but apparently Portfolio does not want to pay the extra $900. My service department asks for approval for a rental car but Portfolio will not pay for a rental car because my car is "drivable". So now I am driving around for who knows how long, with a huge hole in my dash and lacking access to a number of important features on my car.

The cherry on top came when my service manager asked them for the information to bill for shipping the radio to the repair shop. Portfolio told him that they would not pay for the shipping, that that was my responsibility. So they dictate a plan to fix the radio, but won't pay the costs associated with enacting this plan - kind of sounds like fraud doesn't it? So I have to call them back again and threaten them with a lawsuit for them to finally approve a shipping fee of $25 on a policy that I paid over $3000 for in order to enact a repair plan that they approved.

I spoke with the General Manager of the dealership I use for servicing and he says he will not do business with Portfolio/First Extended Service for exactly this reason. I have no idea when or if my radio will be repaired but I have had to call Portfolio almost every day and spend 30 minutes to an hour each time since I first brought it in to deal with one kind of hassle or another. Look online before you consider this policy. See how many complaints exist against Portfolio/First Extended Service. At least I "might" get my problem fixed. I truly empathize with all of the others who get their claims denied.

These people are all about getting your money and fighting you tooth and nail to keep every cent of it. My claim was very legitimate but Portfolio/First Extended Service seems to deliberately make it as cumbersome as possible to get your vehicle fixed, if at all - hoping you will give up and go away. There are other companies out there that provide extended warranties - explore them. Do not go with Portfolio/First Extended Service.

Original review: June 24, 2014

My wife, Sterling **, purchased this warranty through the dealer, Equity Auto Center in Tempe, Arizona on 11/03/2012. The price of this product was approximately $1552.00. The salesman said that this particular extended warranty was the best you can get, "top of the line." The salesman presented this warranty as a "peace of mind" for a young college girl on a limited income. The salesman and the company brochure stated the following: "YOU WILL DRIVE WITH CONFIDENCE AND SECURITY WHEN YOU CHOOSE THIS EXTENDED SERVICE AGREEMENT." She was lead to believe that she would be covered for any expensive repair including high tech electrical problems. They also stated that they would provide roadside assistance and towing to the nearest repair facility.

We called for help on 06/18/2014. The roadside assistance they offered was $50.00 off a $400.00 tow bill. The Ford dealer diagnosed the problem as a transmission control module (TCM), a common problem. Ford in Page, Arizona gave us an estimate of approximately $1100.00. Portfolio denied the claim stating that the specific part was not mentioned in the contract. They offered no assistance whatsoever. I talked to a supervisor named Tony, who said that they can only pay for items specifically mentioned in the contract.

My issue is that the salesman and the company literature portray this product as something that will give you "confidence and security" knowing that you are covered. I can respect the fact that the contract does not specifically mention the TCM, but they led a young, naive woman to believe that she was covered. The sales presentation and the company literature are definitely deceptive. Neither of them have any qualms about taking advantage of unsuspecting consumers. I am completely dissatisfied with this company and do not recommend it to anyone!

Original review: April 7, 2014

I purchase the highest plan (Plan F) coverage for my Toyota when I bought it from the dealership (Dorsch Ford Lincoln Kia of Green Bay). Couple months down the road (4/3/14), one of the level sensors went bad. I called Portfolio aka First Extended Service on 4/3/14 about warranty on my Toyota. First Extended told me to bring back where I purchase the SUV from so they can diagnose it. I drop off my SUV to the dealership where I purchased from, dealership called and said First Extended will not cover the parts or service, it needs to be repaired. I called First Extended and talk to one of the reps, and he told me they will NOT cover the sensor.

I told him that the parts was listed as covered in the plan and also listed in their brochure. He keep cutting me off and said no only NON-WEARABLE parts are covered. That's bull ** I told him. So just told him to refund my money back but he said they won't because it's in the contract. It's a waste of money, time and scam that will never cover anything period. Also blame the dealership on selling these crap extended warranty to us consumers too. Damn dealership charged me $200 even when I told them what was wrong part need repair with the SUV. Dealer said they needed to diagnose what was wrong with it. I guess rip off dealership + rip off extended warranty = rip you off.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.