Find an Extended Auto Warranties partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services

Portfolio Protection offers vehicle service contracts, also called extended warranties, that pay for the cost of repairs for covered components. These service contracts are available for automobiles, RVs, motorcycles and powersport vehicles. Portfolio Protection also provides asset protection plans, theft deterrent products and maintenance programs.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• For new and used vehicles
    • Covers more than just cars
    • Range of coverage options

Cons

• Only available through dealerships
    • Limited information on website

Bottom Line

Portfolio Protection offers an array of coverage options for a variety of vehicles. However, its products are only available through dealerships, and pricing isn’t posted online.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicle Protection Products?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

Would be Zero Stars if that was a rating. We purchased a Tahoe From Murdock Chevrolet in Bountiful Utah in November 2017. Paid for Gap Insurance. On January 6th 2020, We were run off the road by a car trying to pass illegally. Rolled 4 times - Tahoe Totaled. The GAP Insurance, we purchased to Protect us Never Paid. We have resubmitted the claims at least 20+ times. THEY ARE FRAUDS! SAVE YOUR MONEY!!! DO NOT BUY GAP FROM PORTFOLIO! They lie, lose paperwork and never ever pay out a claim!!!! They should not be in business and murcock chevrolet was no help either! Both are terrible. I had to pay the depreciation difference from the loan.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Chris, we do not have any GAP claims that match your name and date of loss. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our GAP Claims Supervisor, Trini Gutierrez, at 877-705-4001.

Original review: July 9, 2021

I purchase a used 2016 Explorer in April of 2019 with only 20K miles on it. The Ford bumper to bumper warranty expires and the powertrain would expire in 2 years. I was told by the dealer representative that this was an extended service plan beyond the bumper and bumper warranty and that it would cover everything like a bumper and bumper warranty would for 5 years/100K for $2800. My deductible was $100 and I did have to use the extended warranty a few times on my Explorer which helped keep more in money in my pocket. The only negative is that what the dealer representative didn't say was that it was an IN SERVICE Extended Warranty that in 2 years this warranty will expire, since the vehicle was first purchased by the first owner in 2016.

I just don't understand why someone would sell me a 5 year/100K plan for 2 years. Plus when I signed the agreement they never gave me anything that showed what it covered nor did they tell me that I can get refund. Is it even possible to get a refund for the remaining 3 years of this extended warranty that I have no use for since I can't use it? Pulling the wool over my eyes for sure, yes I was dumb not to question and get it in writing, but the Dealer Representative is also at blame for misrepresenting this warranty as a 5 year and not a 2 year.

So my question is, can I get a refund of the balance I'm paying for something I can't use or do I just eat it. Also In Service Warranty Contracts should never apply to USED VEHICLES!! Other than that, I meeting with the dealership tomorrow to figure this out because I just found out my warranty won't cover my oil leak or turbo leak and I'll be paying close to $1500 out of pocket for something that was misrepresented to me as a extended bumper to bumper warranty at expiration of 5 years/100K not 2 years. Please Portfolio no dealership should be allowed to use a In Service Warranty on a USED vehicle. Oh BTW I only received the top page and not rest of the pages, they didn't present them, which should of been a red flag.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your confusion. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. For future buying reference, it is fairly standard for all extended warranties to expire based on in-service date, since it is meant to compliment the manufacture's warranty on a brand new vehicle.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I've seen it a few times already, they look for terms to deny your coverage. My exhaust manifold is covered, my engine is covered, but the bolts that attach the two together? Sorry, not covered. The crankshaft and the rod are covered, but not the pin that holds them together. Attachment points are the weakest part of any component, but they only cover when a component itself fails, not any of the parts that hold it together despite them still being essential to the part.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: May 4, 2021

I wouldn't even give 1 star if the system didn't make me. It'd be a negative 5. I had a completely different understanding of GAP coverage and it's purpose until I had to learn the hard way just recently. I traded in a vehicle in OCT 2015 - the amount that was rolled into my new loan/vehicle was recommended that I purchase the GAP coverage to protect that amount that I was upside down on if something happened. So I purchased it by the recommendation of the sales guy (whom I trusted) and as I've always thought that GAP coverage is pretty simple - if there's a total loss and a difference in pay off from what is paid from the car insurance (plus in my situation the amount that was rolled into my loan) that pretty cut and dry.

So decided to include on my loan and have comfort in knowing that if anything were to happen before I was able to get the car paid off I had a cushion to help w/ the loan difference. Well fast forward to April 2021. I am in the last months of being closer to paying off my loan this fall, and have put about $2000 into it the last year to help w/ the longevity of it, rotors, wheel bearings, that sort of stuff etc...and more so looking forward to not having a car payment then purchase another vehicle in a year/two or more - whenever this one was no longer able to run... Then I get T boned - and NOT MY FAULT. I was able to get the other drivers insurance company to pay out more for the total loss on my loan in an effort to lower what GAP would pay out (thinking they would pay the difference or at least help with something) the remaining amount is approx $2300 balance to zero out the loan.

I made a claim, submitted all the paperwork - been up to date on payments (I would either do monthly or per my bank do 2 payments every other month in a big sum and there would be no issues w/ credit or fees). OR when the holidays would roll around I would defer a month payment to help w/ the holidays or pay on another bill. Not thinking anything of it - because I never read the fine print - nor did the bank or dealership explain how GAP truly works, and how I've always understood it is NOT how it is. Maybe in some situations it would make sense to have - but it was an absolute waste of money in my case. Had I known or had it been a little better explained and not misled w/ false info I wouldn't have purchased it. But I was misled of the coverage/exclusions when I agreed to purchase it.

My fault for not reading the fine print - but w/ exclusions & stipulations like that I do believe there needs to be a discussion had w/ the salesman/dealership with the consumer or the bank and their client on what can potentially be an issue by doing the deferrals offered. I am insurance agent and although it may not be much - I deal people and new vehicle purchases everyday and also have a very large network of people both personally and professionally - I WILL be making sure to be telling anyone and everyone I know if they purchased GAP - to find out what company it's with, and if it's w/ Portfolio to cancel if they can and find another provider at all costs.

I unfortunately have learned my lesson the hard hard in a circumstance that was not even my fault. I just purchased a new car, not because I wanted to, and realized that the extended warranty on my new loan that I thought was in house through the dealership - it is not. It is w/ Portfolio, and just under $3500 of my loan - I will be doing everything possible to get that off my contract ASAP - as I have learned aside to all the fine print they also don't disclose all the ways they will do everything possible to get out of paying a dime to help a consumer out after they have paid for something to support their business.

Portfolio will NEVER get one more dime out of me or anyone I know that is within my recommendation or control. I will also be contacting an attorney to review not only this GAP coverage I purchased 5+ years ago, but review the warranty contract on my new car and getting it removed if there should be any issues. Well played Portfolio - that warranty and new GAP coverage that totaled about around $4500 that you just got paid for on my new car and the SMALL amount I needed to take care of my old car loan that I had paid for - joke is on you and essentially you will be losing money.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. It is primarily standard for GAP policies to cover a Net Balance, across all GAP Providers, which does not include missed, deferred, and delinquent payments. Our policies include language detailing what is covered and what is not covered, which includes cancellation instructions. Thank you.

Original review: April 29, 2021

First of all they have never honored policy. Not once. I paid in full the price they asked for and never ever again will I buy or recommend this company. I still had to pay out of pocket what was clearly stated and covered on my policy and they still did not honor the policy. They wouldn't answer my calls half the time so I had to borrow a friend's phone. I felt like I was working for the other company on the phone. From morning to they closed they would transfer me to a outside line. This company was the worst of all yet the situations I had with this company had brought me and my husband to argue and fight everyday because he thought I was lying how they didn't do what they promised. They have been a nightmare and the auto place that sold me the warranty let's just say I'll never buy a car from them again.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Original review: April 28, 2021

Do not buy anything from them and if you do and they don´t pay - which they almost never do - file a lawsuit at your local Small Claims Court. This is the only language they understand. I am waiting for 14 day for a reaction and they only give you excuses why they won´t pay. The highlight is: RV repairs are too expensive. Hmmm - this is an RV policy. You received my money for it and you will pay!

Resolution response: April 29, 2021

The consultant of the company called and made sure that the tires were covered, and I appreciate that which is why I have changed my rating. I hope in the future their claims representatives would be better trained in customer service.

Original review: April 26, 2021

Bought a full warranty protection for my new vehicle. Unfortunately hit a random object in the freeway which damaged my tires. Spoke to someone in their claims department before and she said my tires was covered. First of all I called at least 10 tire companies and they said they don’t handle third party warranties which was extremely frustrating. I got sick and after couple of weeks called again and a guy named George from the same dept said I wasn’t covered, gave me such a hard time and hung up accidentally. I called back less than a minute and they said he was in another line. What a coward. Warranty companies should be there to make your life easier for what you pay, not make you feel like they tricked you into buying their ** warranty. If I could give this zero stars I would.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Ancillary Claims Supervisor, Chris Martin, at 877-705-4001.

Original review: March 31, 2021

I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler that I purchased in 2019. The check engine light came on and I immediately took it to our Jeep dealership in Chico, Ca. After they diagnosed the issues they started a claim with Portfolio Protection. I dropped my jeep off on 3/5/21, today is 3/31/21. 26 without a vehicle, they only will pay for a rental, for a maximum of 5 days once the claim is approved. They had to have inspector out more than once because they didn't want to pay for the repairs. I have sat on hold for over a hour on numerous days to try to figure out what is going on and why the claim isn't being approved. Finally, today they approved the claim but will only pay $138 a hour for labor. The dealership here charges $190, I am having to pay $844 out of my own pocket. DO NOT BUY anything kind of anything through Portfolio Protection.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: March 5, 2021

My daughter got into a accident. No fault of hers and they have came up with every excuse not to pay the Gap insurance. A Service I have paid for over 2 years. Now my daughter is out of a job due to no car, out of a car, and still is in debt for over $2700. Do not pay for Gap insurance from this company mostly if you deliver any type of product whether food or anything else. They will use that as an excuse not to pay.

Hi Troy,

We understand that a total loss is a great hardship and going through a claims process can be difficult when it does not get settled to your satisfaction. You are correct, GAP should not be purchased if any of these exclusions apply: Commercial Purposes means carrying goods, business related materials, or passengers for compensation. This includes, but is not limited to, using a vehicle as a taxi, or for delivery or delivery services where compensation is provided for those services.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Updated on 02/24/2021: So I called Kevin at Portfolio as I was asked to do. He said he would get back to me. It’s been a good while, still nothing. I think it was mostly lip service. Let’s try it this way Kevin. Why don’t you call me **? And let’s settle this claim... Will update as events occur.

Original Review: Wow... Not liking my experience with this company. Purchased A three-year 36,000 mile exclusionary extended warranty for $3000. Not getting any answers and doesn’t look like they’re going to pay. I will update if things change.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

John, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Supervisor of VSC Claims, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

My husband and I purchased this extended coverage at a cost of 3900.00 for our Ford F-350. When it came time to use the protection we were extremely disappointed. My truck broke down while I was out of town. I was able to get it to a dealership only to find out I would have to wait up to 48 hours for an answer on what if anything would be covered. I was towing a 44’ horse trailer with horses on board. I did get a loaner car and made arrangements for care of the animals but 5 days later I ended up paying over 1300, the company did not cover hardly anything. I live in Wisconsin and the truck had issues with the def in Georgia so to say I was disappointed is an understatement when you have to wait 48 hours for an answer, then parts can be ordered then the service needs to be done and you still have to pay 90 % of the bill. I can tell you we will never purchase this again. Terrible coverage.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Denise, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection offers a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We received a call for 3 claims, 1/1, 1/4, and 1/8/2021. All claims were authorized same day for the MSRP parts and standard labor rates. There was a delay, outside of our control, because you moved your vehicle from one repair facility to another.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

I got a small chip in my windshield from some road debris and I was relieved that I purchased glass coverage. I called the number on my contract and talked to a friendly representative who collected my information and requested that I send a picture of the damage. They said a technician will call me within 48/hours. A technician met me in front of my home and repaired the chip quickly and everything was completed with social distancing in mind. My windshield looks good as new & the whole process was really convenient. Excellent coverage & service!

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Thanks for the awesome review, Fouad! We work hard to meet expectations like yours, and we’re happy to hear we hit the mark for you. We look forward to serving you again. Regards, Maysoon Ben-Ghaly

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I paid for a warranty on my 2011 f250, sent it to the dealer and was told it needed over 8k in repairs, they sent it an inspector and after his review they would not honor their warranty, the CERTIFIED inspector claimed there was a programmer tuner on my truck which is false, saying the vehicle is modified therefore voids warranty, I sent them photos and receipts showing and proving this is a MONITOR, NOT PROGRAMMING DEVICE, After several attempts to speak with someone with enough authority to help, to no avail I was ignored, hung up on, and told the is a STATE CERTIFIED INSPECTOR, in which case he sounds if done his job properly and examined everything, instead to get out of the work need they falsely claimed the truck was modified, Do not purchase this warranty, nothing BUT PROBLEMS FROM THEM AND THEY WILL DO ALL IN THEIR POWER TO DISCREDIT AND VOID ANY RESPONSIBILITIES TO THE REPAIRS.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Director of VSC Claims, Neil Payne, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

How about a experience from the middle man? I am the person that handles calling and submitting claims for approval. I have been in the automotive industry for about 7 years and have worked with many extended warranties. This service experience has deterred me from ever wanting to buy and or work with this company. When starting the claim the mileage was submitted wrong when the contract was purchased, that held back the claim process for two business days. After the mileage was corrected I submitted the repair estimate for review. The claims representative stated the review can takes 24-48 hours (unbeknownst to me it was working hours not days). This was just to review if an inspector was needed. Finally 4 days later they stated they were sending and inspector to review the vehicle, that would be another 24-48 hours.

The inspector came the next day and submitted the findings the same day (Friday) it took them another 2 days to review for approval or not. When I asked to speak the a manager they kept telling me they had no way of contacting the “review team”. They were a 3rd party and could only be emailed. All while the customer had no rental authorization until the claim was approved. Which maximum was 5 days.

When finally approved they stated they were sending a used part for the repair, and told me another 3-5 business days. Followed up on the 5th day for a status on the part and was told they had no idea where it was. By this point rental is over the vehicle has been here a total of 17 days and counting. And no status to give the customer as to when the vehicle will be completed. No management assistance, no helping the customer for their lack of reasonable time frame, no phone calls returned when said they were. The whole experience in my years of experience has been the absolute worst with this company. The amount of lack of caring about the customer has been overwhelming.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. The review process should not extend beyond 24 hours. Please contact our Director of VSC Claims, Neil Payne, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I have a 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty that covers Electrical, Electronic High Tech Components, and Electrical Plus (Plan CA Companion). I am at 73k miles, denied coverage for ignition coil replacement. The plan is advertised as bumper to bumper. I am very disappointed and dissatisfied, and will be posting this anywhere I can. The dealer that my car is at is also confused and the service manager just told me that he's never heard of a bumper to bumper plan that didn't cover ignition coils.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback. We do not offer a “bumper to bumper” coverage. Only the Manufacturer can provide that coverage during the Basic Warranty period on a New Vehicle. The Companion Stated Component Coverage has all of the covered components specifically listed on your policy. It does not cover the Powertrain components, or any items listed under What is Not Covered. To provide coverage, the failed part must be specifically listed on page 2 of your Agreement under STATED.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

They are crooks!!! They'll take your money and deny any warranty claims!!! I've had my car at a dealer's servicing location for a week because Portfolio won't pay for the work. I have the most expensive plan of theirs for what? Nothing. No peace of mind and a car that's not fixed! They will give you the run around to save on paying for anything. Worst regret is buying their policy!

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Amy, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Director of VSC Claims, Neil Payne, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: July 21, 2020

Recently bought a brand new 2019 Ram 1500 truck. This Portfolio protection "Express Five" warranty service was presented as an extended warranty for small minor repairs. Especially glass protection. I've owned the truck for exactly one year so far. I recently came across my front windshield being cracked. Figured this would be the best opportunity to use my $799.00 - 5 year warranty that I paid for. Decided to call them up and start the claim process. Was told over the phone that since my crack was more any 2 inches that they couldn't do anything and that "window replacement" is not covered. So basically I will be out $1,039.50 dollars for the window and an additional $799.00 because I refuse to ever contact them again for anything. Think about it, they pocketed my money and made interest off it and refused to help. If a company can't replace a window would hate what they would do to people with a serious problem. I feel taken advantage of. For the sake of my misfortune, please don't buy their coverage, frankly they are a scam! Just read other reviews and run!

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Nicholas, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. Your contract contains language that describes what is and what isn't covered. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Ancillary Claims Supervisor, Chris Martin, at 877-705-4001.

Original review: April 29, 2020

When I purchased this product I was never told that the only place I could have repairs made were at the dealer I purchased it from. If you are within 40 miles from the selling dealer you must take it there. Outside 40 miles require pre-authorization. As it is I do reside more than 40 mi. My truck needed struts so I called and was pre approved. I made the appointment, got the work done. When the mechanic called the claim was disapproved because it was made closer than 40 miles. Here's the kicker they measure the distance by straight line not by driving miles. So this policy is useless unless I wish to drive 1.5 hours or have it towed at more expense than the repair. DO NOT BUY THIS POLICY.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

The Agreement does have a requirement to return to the Selling Dealer if you are within 40 miles. It also requires pre-approval for all repairs. Always ask the Repair Shop to call before doing any work. Please submit a copy of your paid Invoice to dallasclaims@Portfolioco.com for review.

Original review: April 15, 2020

Do NOT buy a warranty from this company. All they do is decline every claim saying it’s not covered. When you buy a bumper to bumper warranty and they say it’s not covered. That is their normal answer. You would have to know every tiny little nuance of your car. It states they cover the air conditioning but when an actuator malfunctions and it clicks and runs even when the car is off and could drain the battery or worse the wiring catch on fire that is not covered. 3 things I’ve brought my car in for in less than a year that their answer is NOT covered and get rude about it. Their customer service sucks and give attitudes. STAY AWAY from them.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

The failed component must be specifically listed under What Is Covered on your Agreement. The 2 covered items on your Policy for the hub/wheel bearing and wiring harness repairs were covered for an approved amount of $1,258.19. We do not offer a bumper to bumper Agreement. Your calls will be reviewed, and necessary actions will be taken to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Please call if you have any additional questions. Neil Payne 866-460-1308

Original review: March 18, 2020

I was under the impression I could take my vehicle to any Jeep dealer for service. Well lo and behold I have been at one for almost three hours today for this. Protection company inform me my stuff is covered but needs to be brought back to where I bought the vehicle. Seriously? This is 100% inconvenient for the customer that paid you just under me $3,000.00 for this dumb **. Ask if the dealer can go with another company for your protection and not this one.

Resolution response: March 17, 2020

So I have to submit an update regarding my initial review. Portfolio wasn’t completely at fault for the entire process and it took way too long to find that out. So after my initial claim was filed on 3/10 it took until 3/16 and probably 20-30 calls in that time frame to portfolio to finally be told that the authorization they were waiting on that was coming from the underwriter was coming from the dealer that sold me the car! So all the escalation emails sent from portfolio's customer service reps as well as a couple supervisors that weren’t responded to from the selling dealer was a huge waste of time. I finally asked the question of, "Who is this underwriter you’re waiting on?! I’ll call them!" That’s when I find out that it’s someone working for the dealership that sold me the car! 6 days later! So I got in touch with the selling dealer and a day later I am completely approved for the work to be done on my vehicle!

So my initial review blasting portfolio wasn’t entirely deserved. However how long were they going to let this go on for before someone other than myself sought out additional answers? So I’m raising my stars from 1 to 2 at the moment and I will update again after the work of performed and this claim is completed. I just think this all went on way too long to not receive any response to their numerous emails to the underwriter at the dealership I bought the car from. If I didn’t ask questions and that awesome customer service rep didn’t tell me the underwriter worked for the selling dealer I would still be without a vehicle. At least I can now rent a car since the authorization was approved. Because my rental reimbursement only kicked in after the claim was authorized. I’ll be back in a few days to update and possibly raise my star review.

Original review: March 13, 2020

Updated on 03/20/2020: So here is another update from my previous reviews that I’ve submitted from my first claim with Portfolio. Hopefully you’ve read the others or this one won’t make sense. So after everything was authorized by the underwriter from the dealer that sold me the car everything went smoothly. The work was done by my Nissan within two days and I was on my way with my car back. Payment went smoothly and there were no more snags. I did raise my rating by 1 more star (from 2-3) simply for the smoothness after authorization was received by Portfolio. So I guess the moral of this whole story is to ask questions and demand answers.

As well as, if you recently bought a car from a dealer with Portfolio’s protection plan you have to understand that if the work you’re claiming needs to be reviewed for authorization that comes from the dealer that sold you the car. So if it’s taking a long time for approval call the dealer that sold you the car and push them. Portfolio is 3rd party so they work with the dealer that sold you the car. Do not wait 6 days for answers like I did. If I would’ve known this I probably could’ve gotten approval within 24 hours and had my dealer order the parts and fix it and it would’ve likely only taken 2-3 days. My loss is your gain. But I have restored faith in the services portfolio will provide me moving forward, but they do have some customer service work to do on their end. I will continue to review this company as I need work and raise or lower my rating accordingly.

Original Review: If I could give 0 stars I would most certainly do it. I’ve had my vehicle and their coverage for around a month and my car broke down and had to take it to the dealer. I am currently without a car for 4 days and the authorization for the fix is still pending! It’s not a matter of if the part is covered because it most certainly is. I am of the opinion that this is just like any other insurance company in the matter of paying out claims. They want to make it as big a headache as they can to deter people from using it.

If you are doing research on this company because you either are buying a car from a dealer that is selling this service or just looking for extended warranty places on your own take my advice and either find a new car at a new dealer or find a different warranty company to buy from! RUN THE OTHER WAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN FROM THIS PLACE! So for this fix I will typically be without a car for almost 2 weeks from the date of the initial claim. This company sucks big time! DO NOT BUY!

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Jeff, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Director of VSC Claims, Neil Payne, at 800-335-8769.

Resolution response: Feb. 2, 2020

I took my 2016 Chevy 3500HD Duramax truck into the dealership. I thought it was a brake system problem but turned out to be the steering box gear. It took 3 days, pictures and phone calls by the dealership over those 3 days to get an answer from Portfolio. They authorized the repair which is about $1500 retail. The process took longer than I thought it should. The dealership made it sound as if Portfolio might not authorize the repair. In the end the truck was repaired and all it cost the $100 deductible. I was happy that the truck was fixed, but it took from Monday (with appointment) until Friday to get the truck back. So the process is not as smooth as it could be, and that is why I gave them 4 Stars.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Update on 01/22/2020: It is now day 2 and after further testing and sending pictures to warranty company I was told it will take a little more time to decide whether or not to replace my power steering gearbox, not the power steering pump. I don't understand the delay. The truck is garaged, has never been in an accident and has always been driven with care. The dealership will call them again in the morning to see what they have decided. Update coming.

Original Review: I just took my Silverado into the dealership. A problem with the power steering was diagnosed. A new power steering pump is needed. I was told by the dealership that Portfolio asked them to do "further testing" before the would authorize paying for the repairs. That it would take another day before they have an answer. I wanted to start this review in real time to share a real experience with Portfolio.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I would recommend not using this company for warranty work. The cost of a plan I feel they should have covered a failed loose axle bolt on a car we're still paying on. They say they cover parts such as axle and support of axle but then block payment because of a term like bolt, they use terms such as support but when a support fails they start to call on terms like bolts or fasteners and use word games so they can say no to coverage. Even when they don't have the term washer they turn around, call it a fashioner and the bolt is not a support for the Axle. They just take your money and do no work sometimes. Just trust me. Say no. Save the money. It's not gonna pay out. They will play Scrabble with part names.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

We are HIGHLY disappointed in Portfolio Protection. We have been paying for 3 years on this coverage and are just now needing help with our car and we are told that the sensor is not covered. According to our dealership, the sensor is a ECT Sensor. It controls the temperature gauge, causing the temperature to drop and rise, the fan kicks on and then the air conditioner kicks off. This is NOT due to normal wear and tear on the vehicle. This is due to a defective sensor. This SHOULD be a covered part. We will NEVER again get this type of coverage.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Purchased this gap insurance top of the line plan for my son in case of an accident, well that accident happened and yes his fault, not really sure why I paid over 2,000 for this insurance to help cover the cost of the loan that was left over after insurance covered there portion,, 848.00 left over, only to hear them say months later, denied!!! That you're at fault with with the accident,, it's called an accident, nowhere in contract does it state that you won't cover for an accident... Rude people on the phone,, won't send me information I have requested,, I asked for the full contract in WRITING,, nope still have not received that,,, Portfolio is a Scam!!! Take your money and run!!!! Never again will I purchase gap insurance through this company... I'm glad your title has changed to private investigator and you were there to witness any of this!!!!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

All I have to say I will be using Portfolio plan in about 2 months the Warranty was put on by my dealership not by my choice, however after reading all the reviews across the nation from people with their experience using this company.. I had read my coverage and my brake calipers are covered..if they give me the runaround? About this issue I will Lawyer up and I have one, it's sad to read negative reviews from people being misguided and a company who can not back up their words or contract or better yet I'll get Judge Judy involved . Hahaha. Wish me luck folks. I refuse to be pushed and get the runaround. I also read many reports in the BBB section as well. So sad..ok. Portfolio best man up . It wouldn't be the first time I drove to a company in person and demand my rights to be honored.. We live in a greedy world, you pay out they don't cover. If that's the case close shop.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Company Information