1.6/5 (102 ratings)

Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services

Portfolio Protection offers vehicle service contracts, also called extended warranties, that pay for the cost of repairs for covered components. These service contracts are available for automobiles, RVs, motorcycles and powersport vehicles. Portfolio Protection also provides asset protection plans, theft deterrent products and maintenance programs.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• For new and used vehicles
    • Covers more than just cars
    • Range of coverage options

Cons

• Only available through dealerships
    • Limited information on website

Bottom Line

Portfolio Protection offers an array of coverage options for a variety of vehicles. However, its products are only available through dealerships, and pricing isn’t posted online.

Top Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicle Protection Products?

Verified

Bought a Portfolio extended service contract on my son’s Nissan Sentra as a “just in case” because he was going to graduate school a 12 hour drive from our home. Boy am I glad I d...

Verified

Absolutely a wonderful, professional company! I got a flat tire on a Saturday night ... I was told 7-10 business days I would receive my check for $170. Well it was on the 4th day...

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

What is Portfolio Protection?

Portfolio Protection is a vehicle service contract provider. It covers cars, RVs, trucks, motorcycles, ATVs and scooters against mechanical breakdowns and malfunctions. The company’s warranties are only available through select dealerships, though.

Portfolio Protection doesn’t provide much specific information about itself on its website, but this is somewhat common for warranty providers that don’t sell directly to the public.

Portfolio Protection plans

Among its other products, Portfolio Protection has the following automotive service contract options:

• Portfolio One policies come in various coverage levels ranging from powertrain to exclusionary.
    • Portfolio Horizon policies come in two different versions. One is for new and premium vehicles, but the other is for pre-owned vehicles. Like Portfolio One, these variants come in multiple tiers of coverage. The new car plan ranges from powertrain to exclusionary coverage, and the pre-owned plan ranges from powertrain to “hi-tech” coverage.
    • Quantum contracts cover your vehicle’s electronic components, including your audio system, screens and navigation systems.
    • Encore plans range from supplemental coverage to stated component coverage.
    • SelectShield protects all powertrain components and is tailored to fit your specific needs.
    • Certified Pre-Owned replaces or supplements a manufacturer's pre-owned factory certification.
    • PortfolioEdge covers the cost of covered parts for up to four years after the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s warranty has expired. However, coverage details are vague.

Based on the brochures on Portfolio Protection’s website, many of these offerings have overlapping coverage, and it’s difficult to identify key differences between them. Talk to your dealership if you have specific questions about these options, and make sure you read the terms of your contract before you sign.

Portfolio Protection benefits

In addition to coverage for various vehicle components, Portfolio Protection offers several potential benefits, including:

• Towing services
    • Jump-start service
    • Lockout assistance
    • Vehicle fluid delivery

Portfolio Protection cost

Portfolio Protection doesn’t have prices listed on its website, but most extended car warranty costs depend on several factors, including:

• The amount of coverage you choose
    • The mileage of your vehicle
    • The age of your vehicle
    • The make and model of your vehicle

Talk to your local partner dealership to see specific pricing information for your vehicle.

Portfolio Protection FAQ

Can I cancel Portfolio Protection?

Yes, but the details are unclear. Portfolio Protection doesn’t mention the topic on the consumer portion of its website, but its dealer portal can help handle cancellations, so they must be available.

What’s the best Portfolio Protection plan for me?

The right plan for you depends on your specific situation. Discuss all your options with your dealership’s representative to see what’s available to you from Portfolio Protection, and then compare their offerings to your needs.

Are Portfolio Protection warranties transferable?

Yes, some warranties from Portfolio Protection are transferable to your car’s next owner.

Is Portfolio Protection worth it?

Auto warranties can be a good way to protect your wallet, but Portfolio Protection doesn’t list many specific benefits that make it stand out from the competition. It could still be a viable choice for you, but it depends on the pricing and details you get from your dealership.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

My car has been in the shop due to a broken axel that was broken while I pulled out of a parking spot. Car completely broke down and had to be towed to Ford dealership. That was on August 18th 2022 and Portfolio has still not even replied to the case! They have told the dealership nothing so far and it's been 19 days! It shouldn't take 19 days to just receive the initial response! I have had a rental car for that entire time for $75/day because I work and need to get around and all the money is stacking up because Portfolio wants to take their time to send an email! Terrible service. I hate to see what is about to happen once they do get back...

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Steven, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Mechanical Claims Team Lead, Robert Moran, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: July 28, 2022

Portfolio is the worst. We purchased a Max warranty with them when we purchased a used vehicle. The engine malfunctioned at no fault of mine and they do not want to fix the vehicle. The vehicle has been in the shop sitting for 2 months, they won't honor a rental car because they won't fix the vehicle. I've talked to over 20 different Representatives there and they all tell me something different. The warranty does not expire until 2023 and I'm still within the mileage for the warranty. They basically won't honor their contract because it's going to cost too much to fix the vehicle. I told them that's not my problem, I purchased the top of the line warranty for this reason, if something happens to the vehicle fix it, but they don't want to honor it because it's going to cost them too much to fix it. I've never ever heard of such a thing in my life.

This company is the biggest fraud ever, and after reading the reviews for them, they don't honor anyone's warranty. Why are they still in business and are able to get away this. I am going to Congress, Better Business Bureau, Social Media, I'm looking for a attorney right now because this is wrong in so many ways, and our government is letting this company get away with this, something needs to be done to stop them.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Kim, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value, and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact Robert Moran, at 800-335-8769.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Resolution response: Aug. 15, 2022

I want to thank Robert at Portfolio for helping resolve this matter. Robert listened as I brought him up to date with my claim, and offered to look into the claim and get back to me. Robert had the claim re-submitted to the review process, and after they contacted the selling dealer it was agreed that my claim was a valid claim. The work has been completed. A note of appreciation to Portfolio for working with me to resolve this matter.

Original review: July 19, 2022

When I bought my car from a local non-BMW dealership I purchased a Portfolio Protection policy as a safeguard when the car warranty expired. The driver side door has an integral ambient LED light that has a bad connection and cannot be repaired, requiring replacement of the door panel. BMW mechanics confirmed that the connection is the problem, not the actual LED light strip. After confirmation, the BMW representative contacted Portfolio Protection to initiate a claim, and the Portfolio representative approved the replacement.

After waiting about 6-months for the door panel, the BMW representative again contacted Portfolio, and this time they denied the claim, insisting that they don't cover "light fixtures." Portfolio was told specifically that the problem is a wiring connection, not the light fixture, but Portfolio nonetheless denied the claim. It feels like a scam. The policies aren't cheap, and they aren't honoring the contract.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi JayAdub, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. We looked into your claim and it was not denied. Due to global supply chain issues the part was on backorder for approx. 6 months. We reached out to you directly to collect more info and we are waiting for your service advisor to call us back so we may resolve your concerns. Sincerely, Robert Moran

Original review: June 24, 2022

Bought an RV at Parris RV, the staff are actually very helpful... At least 3 stars here. The problem is that you purchase a $25,000 RV, brand new with ONLY 2 moving parts (beds) and then the beds' vinyl housing rips out within 1 year (noticed 3 days after factory warranty ran out) and extended warranty of $2000.00 doesn't cover. Nothing Parris will do, nothing Horizon Portfolio Protection (5 years) will do either. Not explained, just sold for an additional $2000.00 on top of RV costs. Now the expense (mine) is another $2500.00 to replace factory faulty parts. Unsatisfactory result, less than upfront sales approach on warranty, and worse yet....you as the consumer are left holding the bag.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value, and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Mechanical Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: June 8, 2022

We bought a brand new coach and as soon as we were done with manufactures warranty, we started having issues. Issues ranging from water heater going out to random roof membrane giving out. All and all we had 17 issues that we submitted. ONE got approved. Care to guess which one? A $10 water heater relay part. They didn’t even cover the trip charges. When I asked why nothing was covered, I was told by the manager to check the warranty and review the guidelines. I specifically asked them to show me where it says it won’t be covered, “damage covered by outside influences.” Water lines that burst had outside influences. Stairs that have way had outside influences. Terrible service. I’ll never use this company again. We canceled the contract immediately.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Mechanical Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: May 27, 2022

We needed to repair our new RV just after the manufacturer's warranty ended and the extended warranty we purchased from Portfolio kicked it. To contact them, you need to call, and end up going through a very long phone tree. Once I finally made it to a live human, I will say that she was very friendly and answered all my questions; however, the process she described made it basically impossible to get a claim covered given the current state of the RV repair market. The first strange thing that she wanted me to do was to call back the same number and go through the phone tree again to get to the 'claims department' - but that is exactly how I had made it to her. I asked if she could start the claim, and she did (at least I think, who knows with them), but the problem is I would need to have a dealer look at the issue first, give them an exact list of parts needed, exact breakdown of amount of labor, and how they planned on doing the job.

Then Portfolio would need to approve it, and then it could be fixed. Every dealer in the area was quoting 6 months wait time to even look at it, and I doubt any of them would want the RV to sit in their lot while approval is pending (neither do I). I did find a local RV serviceman who does mobile service who said he could fit me in that weekend, but it was clear from Portfolio that it was unlikely they would refund me the cost of having it repaired by him. He was approved by Grand Design to do warranty and recall service.

He said he would not get preapproval from Portfolio because it would take him hours to complete their arduous process, and it would cost us more to pay him his hourly rate to complete the approval than the claim would cover. Overall, skip the extended warranty from Portfolio and save that money to pay out of pocket if you are unlucky to need to fix something. I am now attempting to cancel the warranty, but it seems they make it just as challenging to cancel the warranty as they do to make a claim. Wish me luck.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: April 21, 2022

I purchased a 100,000 mile or 3 year extended warranty in October 2019 for $1800. I have not had to file a claim until 4/18/2022 when I had white smoke coming out of my exhaust. I called the company multiple times to get an approved facility to take my car to (my dealership doesn't have an attached repair shop). They told me I had to call the dealership so I did. The auto repair shop the dealership works with didn't have an opening for 2 weeks so I had to call the warranty company back to get a list of more approved facilities.

I took it to one of the approved facilities on 4/15/2022 (they are another issue, but this isn't about them) and didn't get the claim started until Monday. I got my car diagnosed and the repair shop indicated that I had a blown head gasket. The warranty company was asking for proof of Ford oil change records. We perform routine oil changes ourselves on all of our vehicles and we explained that to the repair shop. I told him that in my glovebox is a notebook with a detailed list of the Date and Mileage of all oil change and filter changes on the car. (Obviously I couldn't make those numbers up as I do not have possession of my car).

The repair shop said it would take 24-48 hours for a response. So I called the warranty company the same day and explained that I do not have Ford oil change records because we performed routine oil changes. They said to send in receipts of my purchases for those items, which I did right after getting off the phone. (BTW it is illegal to deny a claim due to performing your own maintenance, see FTC law)

48 hours later and still heard nothing from the warranty or repair shop. So I called the warranty company and said that it has been 48 hours and confirmed that they received the receipts from me and the auto repair shop and they said I needed to call the repair shop. So guess what? I called them and they said I need to call the warranty company. So, after a little back and forth the repair shop called back and said they would submit the claim without the records and see if it gets approved? But even if it does get approved I'll have to take the car to another repair shop because they charge too much for labor and the warranty company said they wouldn't approve it. (Remember that I called and got a list of approved repair shop??? Guess that doesn't matter)

Also, I live 54 miles from this repair shop so it is going to be extremely inconvenient to drive all the way out there to move my car? Plus it could damage my engine more.... Now I'm waiting on a response and obviously still don't have my car almost a week later. I'm giving a 2 star in hopes that they will actually do the repair and not just steal from me. (will update)

However, here are some things I will try to do if they deny me:
      -Appeal the denial, on basis of the FTC law.
      -Cancel my warranty and get a prorated reimbursement.
      -Call the dealership (OC AUTO exchange- Fullerton...don't go there) and complain of lying and deceit.
      -File a complaint with the BBB.

-Contact my lawyer for a small claim court suit.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Original review: March 30, 2022

Purchased a slightly used 2018 motorcoach in September of 2019. In November of 2021, while only 2 miles from home, a fuel rail issue stopped us in the middle of the road. Took 3.5 hours to get it towed and it went to the nearest Freightliner/Cummins Dealer 26 miles away. Took 4 weeks to get parts and repair the unit. Told the dealer three times to call to get prior approval before starting repairs however they continued to say "hope to get Cummins to pay for some of this so I don't want to call them until we know how much it will cost."

Once repairs were done then they called with final bill and of course Portfolio would not pay so I paid out of pocket and submitted a claim. Four months and numerous phone calls to Portfolio still has not even reviewed my claim for only $2561. A fraction of my original cost of the extended warranty. It seems the whole scam is simply to delay as long as possible in hopes the customer simply gets frustrated and quits calling! Beware of these companies.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Your complaint appears to be with the repair facility. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

Purchased GAP insurance. Week later a guy hits my truck and it's a total loss. Portfolio says no refund since vehicle was totaled. Insurance paid off vehicle. Never Again!!!! Said it in contract. WOW!

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Bryan, We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Your GAP Contract includes the following cancellation language: "In the event of a Total Loss, the GAP Purchase Price will be considered fully earned and no refund will be available." We understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

Just bought a brand new car and Dealer emotionally manipulated me to get this service. He never told me this was a 3 rd party and lied to me saying I could use any dealer I want Which it clearly says I have to be 30 minutes away. Dealer Star Hyundai says I can cancel in 5 months. I need to cancel immediately and they are not helping me.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Michael, your complaint appears to be with the dealership that sold you the contract. Most contracts are cancellable and the cancellation refund comes from your selling dealership and is sent to the vehicle owner. We recommend contacting the Business Office of your selling dealership to initiate cancellation. You may also send your cancellation request to dallascancels@portfolioco.com. Thank you.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.

Explore Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews by Topic: