1.5/5 (122 reviews)

Author picture
Edited by

Overall Rating1.5 out of 5

About Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services

Portfolio Protection offers vehicle service contracts, also called extended warranties, that pay for the cost of repairs for covered components. These service contracts are available for automobiles, RVs, motorcycles and powersport vehicles. Portfolio Protection also provides asset protection plans, theft deterrent products and maintenance programs.

Pros & Cons

Pros

• For new and used vehicles
    • Covers more than just cars
    • Range of coverage options

Cons

• Only available through dealerships
    • Limited information on website

Bottom Line

Portfolio Protection offers an array of coverage options for a variety of vehicles. However, its products are only available through dealerships, and pricing isn’t posted online.

Top Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews

Verified

Bought a Portfolio extended service contract on my son’s Nissan Sentra as a “just in case” because he was going to graduate school a 12 hour drive from our home. Boy am I glad I d...

Verified

Absolutely a wonderful, professional company! I got a flat tire on a Saturday night ... I was told 7-10 business days I would receive my check for $170. Well it was on the 4th day...

What is Portfolio Protection?

Portfolio Protection is a vehicle service contract provider. It covers cars, RVs, trucks, motorcycles, ATVs and scooters against mechanical breakdowns and malfunctions. The company’s warranties are only available through select dealerships, though.

Portfolio Protection doesn’t provide much specific information about itself on its website, but this is somewhat common for warranty providers that don’t sell directly to the public.

Portfolio Protection plans

Among its other products, Portfolio Protection has the following automotive service contract options:

• Portfolio One policies come in various coverage levels ranging from powertrain to exclusionary.
    • Portfolio Horizon policies come in two different versions. One is for new and premium vehicles, but the other is for pre-owned vehicles. Like Portfolio One, these variants come in multiple tiers of coverage. The new car plan ranges from powertrain to exclusionary coverage, and the pre-owned plan ranges from powertrain to “hi-tech” coverage.
    • Quantum contracts cover your vehicle’s electronic components, including your audio system, screens and navigation systems.
    • Encore plans range from supplemental coverage to stated component coverage.
    • SelectShield protects all powertrain components and is tailored to fit your specific needs.
    • Certified Pre-Owned replaces or supplements a manufacturer's pre-owned factory certification.
    • PortfolioEdge covers the cost of covered parts for up to four years after the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s warranty has expired. However, coverage details are vague.

Based on the brochures on Portfolio Protection’s website, many of these offerings have overlapping coverage, and it’s difficult to identify key differences between them. Talk to your dealership if you have specific questions about these options, and make sure you read the terms of your contract before you sign.

Portfolio Protection benefits

In addition to coverage for various vehicle components, Portfolio Protection offers several potential benefits, including:

• Towing services
    • Jump-start service
    • Lockout assistance
    • Vehicle fluid delivery

Portfolio Protection cost

Portfolio Protection doesn’t have prices listed on its website, but most extended car warranty costs depend on several factors, including:

• The amount of coverage you choose
    • The mileage of your vehicle
    • The age of your vehicle
    • The make and model of your vehicle

Talk to your local partner dealership to see specific pricing information for your vehicle.

Portfolio Protection FAQ

Can I cancel Portfolio Protection?

Yes, but the details are unclear. Portfolio Protection doesn’t mention the topic on the consumer portion of its website, but its dealer portal can help handle cancellations, so they must be available.

What’s the best Portfolio Protection plan for me?

The right plan for you depends on your specific situation. Discuss all your options with your dealership’s representative to see what’s available to you from Portfolio Protection, and then compare their offerings to your needs.

Are Portfolio Protection warranties transferable?

Yes, some warranties from Portfolio Protection are transferable to your car’s next owner.

Is Portfolio Protection worth it?

Auto warranties can be a good way to protect your wallet, but Portfolio Protection doesn’t list many specific benefits that make it stand out from the competition. It could still be a viable choice for you, but it depends on the pricing and details you get from your dealership.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicle Protection Products?
    Original review: May 15, 2023

Purchased this warranty for a 2015 GMC pickup. I took it in to have the leather seats repaired, a crack in the windshield fixed and some faded paint repaired. I purchased specific warranties for all three of these problems when I purchased the car in 2022. They denied all of it. As far as I’m concerned this company is selling fraudulent worthless warranties. Do not fall for it. You’re better off saving the money you’d use to buy this garbage and using it to fix the problems when and if they come up.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value, and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. Benefits are listed on the contract, and claims are reviewed in accordance with the contract. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Protection Claims Supervisor, Chris Martin, at 877-705-4001.

Resolution response: May 17, 2023

The Warranty Company authorized to fix the car on 5/5/2023. I just received the car back on 5/16/2023. The processing time is too long but the payment is fast according to the repair shop.

Original review: May 4, 2023

My car has been parked in the repair shop for nearly 3 weeks waiting for approval to replace the front struts. The Inspector came and evaluated the repairing process. It has been more than 10 days since the day the Inspector came, and the claim is still under review after multiple calls to Portfolio Horizon customer service from me and the repair shop. Even the customer representative did not know what was happening to my claim. Why is it taking so long? And I need the car to go to work.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. We sincerely apologize for the delay. We reviewed the claim today, and we overrode the authorizer on the account, and we authorized the claim today. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Mechanical Claims Supervisor, Robert Moran, at 800-335-8769.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 1, 2023

Like many others on here, I purchased a Hi-Tech Extended Warranty Plan when I purchased my 2017 Dodge Journey. Basically it was the top tier warranty plan. My vehicle was diagnosed as needing an engine oil cooler which I was told was not covered because my plan was "item specific" and it was not a listed component. They had no response when I pointed out that it also wasn't listed in the Non Covered Components. It is an engine component that literally cools the lubricant for the entire engine. There is absolutely no reasonable explanation as to why this should not be a covered component.

The representative I initially spoke with was rude when I asked to speak with a manager and told me they aren't going to tell me anything different. He then told me that there was no managers available. Until I was persistent about speaking with one. Also, they are forcing me to bring my vehicle back to my selling dealer for repairs because I live within 40 miles. The selling dealer charged me for repairs that they did not complete and I would not want to bring my vehicle back there for anything. The owner will not provide me with an explanation or resolution to that issue. But Portfolio is forcing me to go back there? I have no words that can describe my level of frustration and disgust with both Portfolio and Bourne's Auto Center in South Easton, MA.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value, and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. Benefits are listed on the contract, and claims are reviewed in accordance with the contract. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Mechanical Claims Supervisor, Robert Moran, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: April 6, 2023

I bought my vehicle at Gateway Chevrolet, they had asked if I wanted an extended warranty, working in the industry I know it’s smart to purchase one, so I did, given the pretense that I would be able to take it to ANY Chevrolet dealership. I was not informed about ANY stipulations on this contract, they handed me a USB with the contract on it, no paper work or anything. (Which I found odd, but maybe trying to use less paper? I don’t know) My check engine light came on, so I took my car into the Chevy dealership next door from where I work, which was great because it’s so close I don’t have to worry about driving the vehicle without causing more damage to whatever is going on.

I get a call from Van Buick Chevrolet dealership in Scottsdale informing me that Portfolio would not cover anything because I need to take it to the selling dealer, because it needs to be out of the 40 mile radius from the selling dealer.. It is (38miles) 2 miles away from it being in the clear. I am being charged a $200 dollar a diagnostic fee because this warranty will not cover due to being 2 miles away from being cleared, then I have to get this towed to the original dealer (which portfolio only covers $50 of a tow which will not even cover half of the cost of it being towed from Scottsdale to Avondale and it’s on a reimbursement after sending in the paper work, which after reading the reviews will probably take weeks because they seem to drag their feet on payment) and I will have to pay another $100 for the deductible at the selling dealership.

When I called Portfolio I was sent to two different people because the first person didn’t know what was going on, so he sent me to a automated directory which I had to figure out what department I had to talk, to get this handled. When I did finally speak to someone, they could careless and basically said their hands were tied, no empathy or trying to seeing if they could resolve or help in anyway, no talking to a higher up to give me some kind of explanation or help, absolutely nothing. I’m beyond frustrated with this warranty company and the selling dealer. If I was made aware of these stipulations, I would’ve NEVER agreed to this warranty company. They’re suppose to be helping people, not taking peoples money and not doing anything when their help is actually needed. BEWARE, do NOT buy this warranty, search else where, you will regret getting this warranty.

Original review: March 27, 2023

I purchased the extended warranty for my 2018 Lincoln Navigator. The sunroof would no longer open and the sunroof shade would only close halfway. I took it to a Lincoln dealer on a Monday to get it diagnosed and the diagnosis (made on Monday afternoon) was a failed motor on the shade and cracked guide on the sunroof. After receiving the diagnosis, they informed the service rep that it would be placed under 24-48 review. By Friday I called the dealer and they informed me they had not heard anything from the warranty company. I called Portfolio and they informed me that the repair was approved so after having to be the go between for the dealer and the warranty company they finally emailed the approval.

Later the dealership rep calls and says that only the sunshade was approved and not the sunroof (Portfolio failed to inform me of that, which was going to cost nearly $1000. Livid, I called the warranty company again and asked why the sunroof wasn't covered. They told me that they would not cover it because, according to the dealer notes, it was due to physical damage and they do not cover physical damage. After not being given a good definition of what "physical damage" meant (the only thing I ever did was push the sunroof button), I asked to speak with a supervisor, however I never was put in touch with one.

Finally, the customer service rep told me that a supervisor informed her that "physical damage" is defined as caused by an outside force. Apparently, that meant I am to blame for pushing the sunroof button, causing it to break? The dealership informed me that they in no way implied that the sunroof was due to an outside force, that the guide simply failed and cracked. I am really disappointed that I am paying for a warranty that will not cover some of the most basic parts of the vehicle failing, while at the same time failing to communicate and causing me to be without my vehicle for nearly two weeks, as the dealer had to wait on the warranty company before ordering the necessary parts.

Original review: March 27, 2023

I currently have a claim (#**) for the replacement of my transmission, it appears based on all accounts that Portfolio once again is not living up to their obligations as we have all read by others. The typical claim for denial is that my truck has been modified and as I read my "valid" agreement there are very few exceptions for denial of a claim based on a vehicle modification of which my truck clearly does not fall within any of those categories. Contacted Portfolio and the selling dealer, no one wants to answer the true and hard questions, just keep making excuses.

Living in California we have laws protecting consumers, I suspect Portfolio is waiting for the other boot to hit the ground. Both Portfolio and the selling dealership should be ashamed for pandering such a scam and responding to these reviews like they have never heard these complaints before. Truck has been in repair shop since January 12, 2023, inspector never arrived until February 27, 2023, and then came the real truth behind these warranties. We want your money, but we don't have the backbone to stand behind them!!!

Original review: March 24, 2023

I cancelled my contract with Portfolio after I read the "What is not covered" section of the contract. The contract states the refund will be paid within 30 days. It's been 10 weeks, and still no refund. They blame the dealership, and I have no reason to doubt it is indeed the dealership is giving me the runaround when I call and not Portfolio. I'm giving the dealership a similar review. However, Portfolio's name is still on the contract as the provider. Even if the dealership is primarily at fault, Portfolio still bears blame for working with them. First person I talked to at Portfolio actually surprisingly good-natured despite dealing with dissatisfied customers like me all day. The latest one was unsurprisingly grumpy.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Cancellation refunds do come from your selling dealership and are sent to the lienholder. Please contact our cancellation Supervisor, Yolanda, at 833-823-4500. We can contact your selling dealership on your behalf to verify the refund status. We unfortunately do not have enough identifiers on this review to assist you.

Original review: March 24, 2023

We bought a used 2016 Sprinter base Class C, 18 months old with 7500 miles. We were impressed with the coverage as well as the terms of 4 years and 50K miles offered by the policy even thought pricy at about $3500. We started having problems with the air conditioner tripping the generator on extremely hot days, 110 DegF. We went to a National R.V. Repair to check out a/c, nothing found so nothing covered. Then we went to Cummins shop to check generator. Problems found but nothing related to a/c tripping, Portfolio would not cover the entire bill only part of it. Cummins did not want to deal with 3rd party insurances because of reluctance to pay; never less, Portfolio required interfacing with the shop. We're stuck in the middle. This may be unique with 2 shops dealing with a problem, each saying the problem lays elsewhere. Portfolio was no help to resolving or paying for the a/c tripping the generator.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value, and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. Benefits are listed on the contract, and claims are reviewed in accordance with the contract. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Mechanical Claims Supervisor, Robert, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: March 16, 2023

I took my vehicle in due to the transmission needed to be replaced. They inspected the vehicle and confirmed that the transmission needed to be replaced, but would only authorize a fraction of the cost of the transmission as they sourced the price on a transmission that would take 7-10 business days to get to the shop. The contract covers 5 days of rental. The repair facility that the vehicle is with has a re-manufactured transmission in stock and can complete the repairs but the warranty company will not approve. I now need to wait 2 weeks for them to order the part and for it to arrive. Nowhere in the contract does it state this. Now I am stuck without a car for another 3 weeks - waiting on part and repairs or pay the difference myself. Complete scam.

Original review: March 16, 2023

Took them 2 weeks to approve a transmission repair claim and they only approved it since the transmission does not require servicing until 150,000 miles (Car has 93,000). Cam Phaser claim was also made but they would not approve it since I only had an oil change log but no receipts (I could not get some of the receipts since one of the oil change places are no longer in business). Save your money on buying this warranty because they will try to find any reason not to pay for the repairs. Also, they offer rental car coverage, but only for 5 days and reimbursable up to $35 a day. That does not even cover the cost of a rental and it took them 10 business days to approve the claim. Terrible company, and Woody Ford should be ashamed for even selling their services.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Company Information

25541 Commercentre Drive, Suite 100
        Lake Forest
        Fax:
        portfolioco.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: