Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.80/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Portfolio Protection products are designed to make your ownership experience with your vehicle a happy one. By providing vehicle service contracts to cover the high cost of repairs and Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP) to help you financially if your vehicle is totaled, the company helps you manage your budget and keep your vehicle the way you want it.

BOTTOM LINE

Portfolio Protection offers an array of coverage options for new and used vehicles, including RVs and motorcycles. They’re only available through dealerships, but there’s a suitable plan for nearly everyone.

PROS

• For new and used vehicles
    • Range of coverage options
    • Covers more than just cars

CONS

• Only available through dealerships

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Top Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews

Bought a Portfolio extended service contract on my son’s Nissan Sentra as a “just in case” because he was going to graduate school a 12 hour drive from our home. Boy am I glad I did. The car had multiple issues (air compressor, transmission). My son was able to get the issues taken care of.

Absolutely a wonderful, professional company! I got a flat tire on a Saturday night ... I was told 7-10 business days I would receive my check for $170. Well it was on the 4th day I received a check for $170! Thank ya'll for the fast & easy work. So worth the money I pay for the extended warranty!

What is Portfolio Protection?

Portfolio Protection is a company that offers vehicle service contracts — also known as car warranties — to owners of new and used vehicles. Portfolio Protection covers cars, RVs, trucks, motorcycles, ATVs, trailers and boats.

The name Portfolio Protection comes from the financial term describing actions taken when one proactively protects a portfolio from potential losses or damage. When you purchase a car warranty through Portfolio Protection, you are doing the same thing for your car. Portfolio Protection’s warranties are only available through select dealerships.

Portfolio Protection cost

Portfolio Protection doesn’t have prices listed on its website, but most extended car warranties cost between $400 to $600 a year. The exact cost depends on three main factors:

• The amount of coverage
      • The mileage of the vehicle
      • Your driving habits

Although Portfolio Protection doesn’t show prices on its website, it does show average car repair costs you can expect without car warranty coverage.

Portfolio Protection plans

Among several other products, Portfolio Protection has three limited warranties:

• SelectShield protects all significant powertrain parts and is tailored to fit the specific needs of the car owner.
      • Certified Pre-owned replaces or supplements a manufacturer's pre-owned factory certification.
      • EverDrive is a limited powertrain warranty covering you for the time you own the car.

Each Portfolio Protection plan can include exclusionary coverage, powertrain coverage, stated component coverage, wrap coverage and high-tech coverage.

Exclusionary coverage protects everything other than components that require regular maintenance, such as oil changes. Exclusionary coverage protects:

• Rack and pinion
      • Computer modules
      • Navigation display
      • Engine control module
      • Power steering

The high-tech coverage is restricted to used cars and covers all high-tech components. Wrap coverage is for drivers with existing powertrain coverage that would like to upgrade to exclusionary coverage.

Portfolio Protection benefits

In addition to coverage for various vehicle components, Portfolio Protection offers several benefits, including towing services and rental car reimbursement.

• Portfolio Protection covers up to $50 of towing costs per occurrence.
      • Rental car reimbursement coverage kicks in if your car is in the shop for repairs and you require alternate transportation.

Portfolio Protection FAQ

Can I cancel Portfolio Protection?
      Yes. If you cancel within the first 30 days, you can receive a refund on your car warranty. However, this is true of almost all extended auto warranties.
      What’s the best Portfolio Protection plan for me?
      The best plan and coverage depends on your specific situation. For instance, powertrain coverage is the most basic, while exclusionary coverage protects just about everything a car warranty can cover. As the Portfolio Protection website suggests, discuss all your options and concerns with your car dealership representative.
      Are Portfolio Protection warranties transferable?
      Yes, warranties from Portfolio Protection are transferable to your next car.

Is Portfolio Protection worth it?

Auto warranties are always a good way to protect your wallet. With Portfolio Protection, you pay a monthly premium to keep from having to make costly payments for expensive repairs. The company only sells warranties through select dealerships, but purchasing one might be a good choice for eligible customers.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Update on 01/22/2020: It is now day 2 and after further testing and sending pictures to warranty company I was told it will take a little more time to decide whether or not to replace my power steering gearbox, not the power steering pump. I don't understand the delay. The truck is garaged, has never been in an accident and has always been driven with care. The dealership will call them again in the morning to see what they have decided. Update coming.

Original Review: I just took my Silverado into the dealership. A problem with the power steering was diagnosed. A new power steering pump is needed. I was told by the dealership that Portfolio asked them to do "further testing" before the would authorize paying for the repairs. That it would take another day before they have an answer. I wanted to start this review in real time to share a real experience with Portfolio.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

I would recommend not using this company for warranty work. The cost of a plan I feel they should have covered a failed loose axle bolt on a car we're still paying on. They say they cover parts such as axle and support of axle but then block payment because of a term like bolt, they use terms such as support but when a support fails they start to call on terms like bolts or fasteners and use word games so they can say no to coverage. Even when they don't have the term washer they turn around, call it a fashioner and the bolt is not a support for the Axle. They just take your money and do no work sometimes. Just trust me. Say no. Save the money. It's not gonna pay out. They will play Scrabble with part names.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

We are HIGHLY disappointed in Portfolio Protection. We have been paying for 3 years on this coverage and are just now needing help with our car and we are told that the sensor is not covered. According to our dealership, the sensor is a ECT Sensor. It controls the temperature gauge, causing the temperature to drop and rise, the fan kicks on and then the air conditioner kicks off. This is NOT due to normal wear and tear on the vehicle. This is due to a defective sensor. This SHOULD be a covered part. We will NEVER again get this type of coverage.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Purchased this gap insurance top of the line plan for my son in case of an accident, well that accident happened and yes his fault, not really sure why I paid over 2,000 for this insurance to help cover the cost of the loan that was left over after insurance covered there portion,, 848.00 left over, only to hear them say months later, denied!!! That you're at fault with with the accident,, it's called an accident, nowhere in contract does it state that you won't cover for an accident... Rude people on the phone,, won't send me information I have requested,, I asked for the full contract in WRITING,, nope still have not received that,,, Portfolio is a Scam!!! Take your money and run!!!! Never again will I purchase gap insurance through this company... I'm glad your title has changed to private investigator and you were there to witness any of this!!!!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

All I have to say I will be using Portfolio plan in about 2 months the Warranty was put on by my dealership not by my choice, however after reading all the reviews across the nation from people with their experience using this company.. I had read my coverage and my brake calipers are covered..if they give me the runaround? About this issue I will Lawyer up and I have one, it's sad to read negative reviews from people being misguided and a company who can not back up their words or contract or better yet I'll get Judge Judy involved . Hahaha. Wish me luck folks. I refuse to be pushed and get the runaround. I also read many reports in the BBB section as well. So sad..ok. Portfolio best man up . It wouldn't be the first time I drove to a company in person and demand my rights to be honored.. We live in a greedy world, you pay out they don't cover. If that's the case close shop.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I called the number of the company on my warranty contract, which is also the number on their website, of which it tells you to call to to submit a claim (1-800-242-9442) and the woman who answered the phone said they get calls for this company all the time but it’s the wrong number but she can forward me to the correct number (1-800-705-4001). Once forwarded the new customer service lady she said they were the wrong company as well and gave me the number of the “correct” company (1-800-323-5751). I called that number and it was the fax machine! I paid $1,500 to get the run around, poor service, and this is a total scam in my opinion. Learned my lesson! Shame on the dealerships for selling such a poor warranty product to customers. Now I also know what dealership I will never go to again!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

We had an issue with the slide on the 5th wheel and called the claims number and was told by a female it was covered. After I spoke to the repair shop I called again to give them details and Brian confirmed there was coverage. Now the work has been completed and the claim has been denied. Total incompetence. Repair shop spent 30 minutes on the phone and in the end told it was not covered outside of the U.S. (policy states covered in USA and Canada) and they claim it falls under trim!! The floor separated from the wall on the slide. Now they say it was bolts which are not covered and yes the policy does cover Canada. Buyer beware - do not waste your money.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

After my car unfortunately was totaled out I reached out to these clowns to cover the balance the left after the car insurance company paid their share. Sent them a mountain of documents from the insurance company, dealership, finance company, and law enforcement and no follow on their part and when I call their customer no service department I get a run around claiming not to get the paperwork. After sending the paperwork certified mail I think it will be best to proceed to file a civil suit and seek damages in court.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

The product was sold to us by Hyundai Genesis dealer as a warranty that will cover wear and tear issues at the end of the car lease. The dealer told us that after we return the leased car, they will send me a bill which I will submit to LR3. However, after I returned the car, Hyundai send a bill for dent repair but LR 3 refused to pay, under the pretext that the claim has to be opened 30 days before the end of lease. Now I see that this a rip off and they are using the 30-day condition as a way to get out of paying for the repairs.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I find it VERY odd that almost every positive review on this site ends up with a "Thanks Portfolio!" ...almost as if they were written by one person... Just my observation. I just bought a new plan through Portfolio and have had either any Positive or Negative experience but I do wish I would have read these review BEFORE I bought the warranty.

Is your car out of warranty?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right extended auto warranty for you.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Company Information