Find an Extended Auto Warranties partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services

Portfolio Protection offers vehicle service contracts, also called extended warranties, that pay for the cost of repairs for covered components. These service contracts are available for automobiles, RVs, motorcycles and powersport vehicles. Portfolio Protection also provides asset protection plans, theft deterrent products and maintenance programs.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• For new and used vehicles
    • Covers more than just cars
    • Range of coverage options

Cons

• Only available through dealerships
    • Limited information on website

Bottom Line

Portfolio Protection offers an array of coverage options for a variety of vehicles. However, its products are only available through dealerships, and pricing isn’t posted online.

Top Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicle Protection Products?

Verified

Bought a Portfolio extended service contract on my son’s Nissan Sentra as a “just in case” because he was going to graduate school a 12 hour drive from our home. Boy am I glad I d...

Verified

Absolutely a wonderful, professional company! I got a flat tire on a Saturday night ... I was told 7-10 business days I would receive my check for $170. Well it was on the 4th day...

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

What is Portfolio Protection?

Portfolio Protection is a vehicle service contract provider. It covers cars, RVs, trucks, motorcycles, ATVs and scooters against mechanical breakdowns and malfunctions. The company’s warranties are only available through select dealerships, though.

Portfolio Protection doesn’t provide much specific information about itself on its website, but this is somewhat common for warranty providers that don’t sell directly to the public.

Portfolio Protection plans

Among its other products, Portfolio Protection has the following automotive service contract options:

• Portfolio One policies come in various coverage levels ranging from powertrain to exclusionary.
    • Portfolio Horizon policies come in two different versions. One is for new and premium vehicles, but the other is for pre-owned vehicles. Like Portfolio One, these variants come in multiple tiers of coverage. The new car plan ranges from powertrain to exclusionary coverage, and the pre-owned plan ranges from powertrain to “hi-tech” coverage.
    • Quantum contracts cover your vehicle’s electronic components, including your audio system, screens and navigation systems.
    • Encore plans range from supplemental coverage to stated component coverage.
    • SelectShield protects all powertrain components and is tailored to fit your specific needs.
    • Certified Pre-Owned replaces or supplements a manufacturer's pre-owned factory certification.
    • PortfolioEdge covers the cost of covered parts for up to four years after the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s warranty has expired. However, coverage details are vague.

Based on the brochures on Portfolio Protection’s website, many of these offerings have overlapping coverage, and it’s difficult to identify key differences between them. Talk to your dealership if you have specific questions about these options, and make sure you read the terms of your contract before you sign.

Portfolio Protection benefits

In addition to coverage for various vehicle components, Portfolio Protection offers several potential benefits, including:

• Towing services
    • Jump-start service
    • Lockout assistance
    • Vehicle fluid delivery

Portfolio Protection cost

Portfolio Protection doesn’t have prices listed on its website, but most extended car warranty costs depend on several factors, including:

• The amount of coverage you choose
    • The mileage of your vehicle
    • The age of your vehicle
    • The make and model of your vehicle

Talk to your local partner dealership to see specific pricing information for your vehicle.

Portfolio Protection FAQ

Yes, but the details are unclear. Portfolio Protection doesn’t mention the topic on the consumer portion of its website, but its dealer portal can help handle cancellations, so they must be available.
    The right plan for you depends on your specific situation. Discuss all your options with your dealership’s representative to see what’s available to you from Portfolio Protection, and then compare their offerings to your needs.
    Yes, some warranties from Portfolio Protection are transferable to your car’s next owner.

Is Portfolio Protection worth it?

Auto warranties can be a good way to protect your wallet, but Portfolio Protection doesn’t list many specific benefits that make it stand out from the competition. It could still be a viable choice for you, but it depends on the pricing and details you get from your dealership.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 2 stars
    Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

Tried submitting a claim and received the same mileage/service run around as listed by others writing a review. The dealership that sold me the warranty said they could not work on my car and the repair also needed an upgrade which the dealer needed to do. At the time of the sale the dealership (Ford) told me I could have the car service anywhere, my fault for not reading the fine print. I was lucky to call back and speak to Henry at Portfolio who was so helpful and started a claim for me with the Infiniti dealer. Now the car is at the dealership waiting on approval for the repair.

One day later and several phone calls they are now telling the dealer they need to send someone out to verify the issue and that the check engine light is actually on. At this point I have no idea when this is going to happen and I am without my car going on the end of day two. This company's approval process is flawed, it should not take this long approve a customers repair AND the dealer is the one who has to constantly call for an update. I am fearful they are just looking for a reason to not pay the claim based on others' feedback. I will pursue action if it is denied. I will post an update once I hear on the approval..

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I bought a 2016 Nissan Rouge new and I am having the first problem in September 2021. I moved after buying the car so I took it for an extended warranty repair to the closest dealer. They told me the warranty company would not authorize the repair that I was within 40 miles of the original dealer and had to take it back to them. They were then informed that I now lives 59.3 miles from the original dealer (per Google) and they still refused to let them repair it. Their excuse was they used "air miles" to calculate the distance not road miles!! I looked and couldn't find the airplane button on the dash anywhere. Now I have to drive an hour and a half one way to get this car repaired. Not worth the $1,889.00 I paid. Complete ripoff. Wouldn't buy another again.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. We understand your frustration. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I purchased the high-tech warranty on my preowned Chevy truck - dealer told me this warranty would cover everything (absolutely everything). How crazy of me to believe the dealership. I never received any details about my warranty. After bringing my truck months after purchase for an oil change I had an accident (fell on a cracked sidewalk) ended up very hurt. My warranty of course states I must bring truck to dealership for coverage, I called Portfolio to request they waive this as I cannot go to this dealership due to legal issues (even sent them documentation). After at least 15-20 calls this was never addressed or even documented by them. Still isn't.

3 months ago truck broke down and I brought it to a nearby garage (the whole time calling portfolio and discussing my issue). I paid over $1,000 out of pocket. As of today this issue is still not fixed. I was told to submit a claim to their "REVIEW BOARD" who by the way has NO PHONE NUMBER. After 2 1/2 months and again multiple phone calls by me I received an email of denial for 1. didn't go to dealership where purchased, 2. fuel pump had rot so NOT COVERED - ARE YOU KIDDING ME? - and oxygen sensor less money than $100 deductible. Even if I go on ** I cannot see my terms and conditions, it is not there. But again I am told that is the dealership's fault not theirs. And there is NO APPEAL AT ALL WITH THIS COMPANY. I waited on hold for over 30 minutes to speak with a supervisor and of course none are available.

Please don't waste your money on this company. The stress, frustration and time isn't worth it. They are just out to make money and they are! Customer Service are like robots and can never really help. I'm beyond frustrated and angry at how this company operates. I will be shocked if a supervisor actually calls me back as promised. In fact I know they won't, that is how they operate.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not explained to you by your selling dealership. We can provide a copy of your Agreement. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

My vehicle is covered by an extended warranty administered by Portfolio Protection. My vehicle has a bad front hub bearing covered by the warranty. I called the dealership where I purchased the warranty to schedule repairs. The dealership is 3 weeks behind do to limited technicians. I took my vehicle to a licensed repair facility who confirmed my vehicle hub bearing was bad. The repair facility contacted the warranty company who took the information then stated the repair was denied due to the fact that I was not more than 40 miles from the dealership I purchased it from. The repair shop said this repair needed to be done asap and that the dealership was 3 weeks out for the repairs. The repairs were still denied. I contacted the warranty company when I left the dealership and was told they must stick to the contract.

The contract also states that if emergency repairs are needed after hours repairs can be authorized at any licensed repair facility so why would this be any different. It is not my fault that the dealership. I bought the warranty from is 3 weeks behind. This is unreasonable and even the warranty representative agreed it was unreasonable. However refused to help any further. BEWARE before purchasing this agreement. There are loopholes. I now have to wait 3 weeks for repairs.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

So I have a Dodge Charger and I wanted to take it to another dealership closer to me than the original because the original dealership was 41.7 miles away from me. I called them to verify before I could even take it to dealership and they told me yes. So I take it there, got a rental, 5 days later the dealer calls in says “warranty won’t authorize. It needs to go to the original dealer.” Says the distance between both dealerships is 35 miles. Wtf!! So now I had to pay out of my pocket for a rental for 5 days in the labor work they done totaling to 800 dollars. Do not get this warranty company. As soon as my car gets fixed I’m dropping them.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

Would be Zero Stars if that was a rating. We purchased a Tahoe From Murdock Chevrolet in Bountiful Utah in November 2017. Paid for Gap Insurance. On January 6th 2020, We were run off the road by a car trying to pass illegally. Rolled 4 times - Tahoe Totaled. The GAP Insurance, we purchased to Protect us Never Paid. We have resubmitted the claims at least 20+ times. THEY ARE FRAUDS! SAVE YOUR MONEY!!! DO NOT BUY GAP FROM PORTFOLIO! They lie, lose paperwork and never ever pay out a claim!!!! They should not be in business and murcock chevrolet was no help either! Both are terrible. I had to pay the depreciation difference from the loan.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Chris, we do not have any GAP claims that match your name and date of loss. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our GAP Claims Supervisor, Trini Gutierrez, at 877-705-4001.

Original review: July 9, 2021

I purchase a used 2016 Explorer in April of 2019 with only 20K miles on it. The Ford bumper to bumper warranty expires and the powertrain would expire in 2 years. I was told by the dealer representative that this was an extended service plan beyond the bumper and bumper warranty and that it would cover everything like a bumper and bumper warranty would for 5 years/100K for $2800. My deductible was $100 and I did have to use the extended warranty a few times on my Explorer which helped keep more in money in my pocket. The only negative is that what the dealer representative didn't say was that it was an IN SERVICE Extended Warranty that in 2 years this warranty will expire, since the vehicle was first purchased by the first owner in 2016.

I just don't understand why someone would sell me a 5 year/100K plan for 2 years. Plus when I signed the agreement they never gave me anything that showed what it covered nor did they tell me that I can get refund. Is it even possible to get a refund for the remaining 3 years of this extended warranty that I have no use for since I can't use it? Pulling the wool over my eyes for sure, yes I was dumb not to question and get it in writing, but the Dealer Representative is also at blame for misrepresenting this warranty as a 5 year and not a 2 year.

So my question is, can I get a refund of the balance I'm paying for something I can't use or do I just eat it. Also In Service Warranty Contracts should never apply to USED VEHICLES!! Other than that, I meeting with the dealership tomorrow to figure this out because I just found out my warranty won't cover my oil leak or turbo leak and I'll be paying close to $1500 out of pocket for something that was misrepresented to me as a extended bumper to bumper warranty at expiration of 5 years/100K not 2 years. Please Portfolio no dealership should be allowed to use a In Service Warranty on a USED vehicle. Oh BTW I only received the top page and not rest of the pages, they didn't present them, which should of been a red flag.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your confusion. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. For future buying reference, it is fairly standard for all extended warranties to expire based on in-service date, since it is meant to compliment the manufacture's warranty on a brand new vehicle.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I've seen it a few times already, they look for terms to deny your coverage. My exhaust manifold is covered, my engine is covered, but the bolts that attach the two together? Sorry, not covered. The crankshaft and the rod are covered, but not the pin that holds them together. Attachment points are the weakest part of any component, but they only cover when a component itself fails, not any of the parts that hold it together despite them still being essential to the part.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Original review: May 4, 2021

I wouldn't even give 1 star if the system didn't make me. It'd be a negative 5. I had a completely different understanding of GAP coverage and it's purpose until I had to learn the hard way just recently. I traded in a vehicle in OCT 2015 - the amount that was rolled into my new loan/vehicle was recommended that I purchase the GAP coverage to protect that amount that I was upside down on if something happened. So I purchased it by the recommendation of the sales guy (whom I trusted) and as I've always thought that GAP coverage is pretty simple - if there's a total loss and a difference in pay off from what is paid from the car insurance (plus in my situation the amount that was rolled into my loan) that pretty cut and dry.

So decided to include on my loan and have comfort in knowing that if anything were to happen before I was able to get the car paid off I had a cushion to help w/ the loan difference. Well fast forward to April 2021. I am in the last months of being closer to paying off my loan this fall, and have put about $2000 into it the last year to help w/ the longevity of it, rotors, wheel bearings, that sort of stuff etc...and more so looking forward to not having a car payment then purchase another vehicle in a year/two or more - whenever this one was no longer able to run... Then I get T boned - and NOT MY FAULT. I was able to get the other drivers insurance company to pay out more for the total loss on my loan in an effort to lower what GAP would pay out (thinking they would pay the difference or at least help with something) the remaining amount is approx $2300 balance to zero out the loan.

I made a claim, submitted all the paperwork - been up to date on payments (I would either do monthly or per my bank do 2 payments every other month in a big sum and there would be no issues w/ credit or fees). OR when the holidays would roll around I would defer a month payment to help w/ the holidays or pay on another bill. Not thinking anything of it - because I never read the fine print - nor did the bank or dealership explain how GAP truly works, and how I've always understood it is NOT how it is. Maybe in some situations it would make sense to have - but it was an absolute waste of money in my case. Had I known or had it been a little better explained and not misled w/ false info I wouldn't have purchased it. But I was misled of the coverage/exclusions when I agreed to purchase it.

My fault for not reading the fine print - but w/ exclusions & stipulations like that I do believe there needs to be a discussion had w/ the salesman/dealership with the consumer or the bank and their client on what can potentially be an issue by doing the deferrals offered. I am insurance agent and although it may not be much - I deal people and new vehicle purchases everyday and also have a very large network of people both personally and professionally - I WILL be making sure to be telling anyone and everyone I know if they purchased GAP - to find out what company it's with, and if it's w/ Portfolio to cancel if they can and find another provider at all costs.

I unfortunately have learned my lesson the hard hard in a circumstance that was not even my fault. I just purchased a new car, not because I wanted to, and realized that the extended warranty on my new loan that I thought was in house through the dealership - it is not. It is w/ Portfolio, and just under $3500 of my loan - I will be doing everything possible to get that off my contract ASAP - as I have learned aside to all the fine print they also don't disclose all the ways they will do everything possible to get out of paying a dime to help a consumer out after they have paid for something to support their business.

Portfolio will NEVER get one more dime out of me or anyone I know that is within my recommendation or control. I will also be contacting an attorney to review not only this GAP coverage I purchased 5+ years ago, but review the warranty contract on my new car and getting it removed if there should be any issues. Well played Portfolio - that warranty and new GAP coverage that totaled about around $4500 that you just got paid for on my new car and the SMALL amount I needed to take care of my old car loan that I had paid for - joke is on you and essentially you will be losing money.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. It is primarily standard for GAP policies to cover a Net Balance, across all GAP Providers, which does not include missed, deferred, and delinquent payments. Our policies include language detailing what is covered and what is not covered, which includes cancellation instructions. Thank you.

Original review: April 29, 2021

First of all they have never honored policy. Not once. I paid in full the price they asked for and never ever again will I buy or recommend this company. I still had to pay out of pocket what was clearly stated and covered on my policy and they still did not honor the policy. They wouldn't answer my calls half the time so I had to borrow a friend's phone. I felt like I was working for the other company on the phone. From morning to they closed they would transfer me to a outside line. This company was the worst of all yet the situations I had with this company had brought me and my husband to argue and fight everyday because he thought I was lying how they didn't do what they promised. They have been a nightmare and the auto place that sold me the warranty let's just say I'll never buy a car from them again.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Company Information