Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.75/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Portfolio Protection products are designed to make your ownership experience with your vehicle a happy one. By providing vehicle service contracts to cover the high cost of repairs and Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP) to help you financially if your vehicle is totaled, the company helps you manage your budget and keep your vehicle the way you want it.

BOTTOM LINE

Portfolio Protection offers an array of coverage options for new and used vehicles, including RVs and motorcycles. They’re only available through dealerships, but there’s a suitable plan for nearly everyone.

PROS

• For new and used vehicles
    • Range of coverage options
    • Covers more than just cars

CONS

• Only available through dealerships

Find my match

Top Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
      How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicle Protection Products?

Bought a Portfolio extended service contract on my son’s Nissan Sentra as a “just in case” because he was going to graduate school a 12 hour drive from our home. Boy am I glad I did. The car had multiple issues (air compressor, transmission). My son was able to get the issues taken care of.

Absolutely a wonderful, professional company! I got a flat tire on a Saturday night ... I was told 7-10 business days I would receive my check for $170. Well it was on the 4th day I received a check for $170! Thank ya'll for the fast & easy work. So worth the money I pay for the extended warranty!

What is Portfolio Protection?

Portfolio Protection is a company that offers vehicle service contracts — also known as car warranties — to owners of new and used vehicles. Portfolio Protection covers cars, RVs, trucks, motorcycles, ATVs, trailers and boats.

The name Portfolio Protection comes from the financial term describing actions taken when one proactively protects a portfolio from potential losses or damage. When you purchase a car warranty through Portfolio Protection, you are doing the same thing for your car. Portfolio Protection’s warranties are only available through select dealerships.

Portfolio Protection cost

Portfolio Protection doesn’t have prices listed on its website, but most extended car warranties cost between $400 to $600 a year. The exact cost depends on three main factors:

• The amount of coverage
      • The mileage of the vehicle
      • Your driving habits

Although Portfolio Protection doesn’t show prices on its website, it does show average car repair costs you can expect without car warranty coverage.

Portfolio Protection plans

Among several other products, Portfolio Protection has three limited warranties:

• SelectShield protects all significant powertrain parts and is tailored to fit the specific needs of the car owner.
      • Certified Pre-owned replaces or supplements a manufacturer's pre-owned factory certification.
      • EverDrive is a limited powertrain warranty covering you for the time you own the car.

Each Portfolio Protection plan can include exclusionary coverage, powertrain coverage, stated component coverage, wrap coverage and high-tech coverage.

Exclusionary coverage protects everything other than components that require regular maintenance, such as oil changes. Exclusionary coverage protects:

• Rack and pinion
      • Computer modules
      • Navigation display
      • Engine control module
      • Power steering

The high-tech coverage is restricted to used cars and covers all high-tech components. Wrap coverage is for drivers with existing powertrain coverage that would like to upgrade to exclusionary coverage.

Portfolio Protection benefits

In addition to coverage for various vehicle components, Portfolio Protection offers several benefits, including towing services and rental car reimbursement.

• Portfolio Protection covers up to $50 of towing costs per occurrence.
      • Rental car reimbursement coverage kicks in if your car is in the shop for repairs and you require alternate transportation.

Portfolio Protection FAQ

Can I cancel Portfolio Protection?
      Yes. If you cancel within the first 30 days, you can receive a refund on your car warranty. However, this is true of almost all extended auto warranties.
      What’s the best Portfolio Protection plan for me?
      The best plan and coverage depends on your specific situation. For instance, powertrain coverage is the most basic, while exclusionary coverage protects just about everything a car warranty can cover. As the Portfolio Protection website suggests, discuss all your options and concerns with your car dealership representative.
      Are Portfolio Protection warranties transferable?
      Yes, warranties from Portfolio Protection are transferable to your next car.

Is Portfolio Protection worth it?

Auto warranties are always a good way to protect your wallet. With Portfolio Protection, you pay a monthly premium to keep from having to make costly payments for expensive repairs. The company only sells warranties through select dealerships, but purchasing one might be a good choice for eligible customers.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Updated on 02/24/2021: So I called Kevin at Portfolio as I was asked to do. He said he would get back to me. It’s been a good while, still nothing. I think it was mostly lip service. Let’s try it this way Kevin. Why don’t you call me **? And let’s settle this claim... Will update as events occur.

Original Review: Wow... Not liking my experience with this company. Purchased A three-year 36,000 mile exclusionary extended warranty for $3000. Not getting any answers and doesn’t look like they’re going to pay. I will update if things change.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

John, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Supervisor of VSC Claims, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

My husband and I purchased this extended coverage at a cost of 3900.00 for our Ford F-350. When it came time to use the protection we were extremely disappointed. My truck broke down while I was out of town. I was able to get it to a dealership only to find out I would have to wait up to 48 hours for an answer on what if anything would be covered. I was towing a 44’ horse trailer with horses on board. I did get a loaner car and made arrangements for care of the animals but 5 days later I ended up paying over 1300, the company did not cover hardly anything. I live in Wisconsin and the truck had issues with the def in Georgia so to say I was disappointed is an understatement when you have to wait 48 hours for an answer, then parts can be ordered then the service needs to be done and you still have to pay 90 % of the bill. I can tell you we will never purchase this again. Terrible coverage.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Denise, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection offers a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We received a call for 3 claims, 1/1, 1/4, and 1/8/2021. All claims were authorized same day for the MSRP parts and standard labor rates. There was a delay, outside of our control, because you moved your vehicle from one repair facility to another.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

I got a small chip in my windshield from some road debris and I was relieved that I purchased glass coverage. I called the number on my contract and talked to a friendly representative who collected my information and requested that I send a picture of the damage. They said a technician will call me within 48/hours. A technician met me in front of my home and repaired the chip quickly and everything was completed with social distancing in mind. My windshield looks good as new & the whole process was really convenient. Excellent coverage & service!

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Thanks for the awesome review, Fouad! We work hard to meet expectations like yours, and we’re happy to hear we hit the mark for you. We look forward to serving you again. Regards, Maysoon Ben-Ghaly

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I paid for a warranty on my 2011 f250, sent it to the dealer and was told it needed over 8k in repairs, they sent it an inspector and after his review they would not honor their warranty, the CERTIFIED inspector claimed there was a programmer tuner on my truck which is false, saying the vehicle is modified therefore voids warranty, I sent them photos and receipts showing and proving this is a MONITOR, NOT PROGRAMMING DEVICE, After several attempts to speak with someone with enough authority to help, to no avail I was ignored, hung up on, and told the is a STATE CERTIFIED INSPECTOR, in which case he sounds if done his job properly and examined everything, instead to get out of the work need they falsely claimed the truck was modified, Do not purchase this warranty, nothing BUT PROBLEMS FROM THEM AND THEY WILL DO ALL IN THEIR POWER TO DISCREDIT AND VOID ANY RESPONSIBILITIES TO THE REPAIRS.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Director of VSC Claims, Neil Payne, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

How about a experience from the middle man? I am the person that handles calling and submitting claims for approval. I have been in the automotive industry for about 7 years and have worked with many extended warranties. This service experience has deterred me from ever wanting to buy and or work with this company. When starting the claim the mileage was submitted wrong when the contract was purchased, that held back the claim process for two business days. After the mileage was corrected I submitted the repair estimate for review. The claims representative stated the review can takes 24-48 hours (unbeknownst to me it was working hours not days). This was just to review if an inspector was needed. Finally 4 days later they stated they were sending and inspector to review the vehicle, that would be another 24-48 hours.

The inspector came the next day and submitted the findings the same day (Friday) it took them another 2 days to review for approval or not. When I asked to speak the a manager they kept telling me they had no way of contacting the “review team”. They were a 3rd party and could only be emailed. All while the customer had no rental authorization until the claim was approved. Which maximum was 5 days.

When finally approved they stated they were sending a used part for the repair, and told me another 3-5 business days. Followed up on the 5th day for a status on the part and was told they had no idea where it was. By this point rental is over the vehicle has been here a total of 17 days and counting. And no status to give the customer as to when the vehicle will be completed. No management assistance, no helping the customer for their lack of reasonable time frame, no phone calls returned when said they were. The whole experience in my years of experience has been the absolute worst with this company. The amount of lack of caring about the customer has been overwhelming.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. The review process should not extend beyond 24 hours. Please contact our Director of VSC Claims, Neil Payne, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I have a 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty that covers Electrical, Electronic High Tech Components, and Electrical Plus (Plan CA Companion). I am at 73k miles, denied coverage for ignition coil replacement. The plan is advertised as bumper to bumper. I am very disappointed and dissatisfied, and will be posting this anywhere I can. The dealer that my car is at is also confused and the service manager just told me that he's never heard of a bumper to bumper plan that didn't cover ignition coils.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback. We do not offer a “bumper to bumper” coverage. Only the Manufacturer can provide that coverage during the Basic Warranty period on a New Vehicle. The Companion Stated Component Coverage has all of the covered components specifically listed on your policy. It does not cover the Powertrain components, or any items listed under What is Not Covered. To provide coverage, the failed part must be specifically listed on page 2 of your Agreement under STATED.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

They are crooks!!! They'll take your money and deny any warranty claims!!! I've had my car at a dealer's servicing location for a week because Portfolio won't pay for the work. I have the most expensive plan of theirs for what? Nothing. No peace of mind and a car that's not fixed! They will give you the run around to save on paying for anything. Worst regret is buying their policy!

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Amy, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Director of VSC Claims, Neil Payne, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: July 21, 2020

Recently bought a brand new 2019 Ram 1500 truck. This Portfolio protection "Express Five" warranty service was presented as an extended warranty for small minor repairs. Especially glass protection. I've owned the truck for exactly one year so far. I recently came across my front windshield being cracked. Figured this would be the best opportunity to use my $799.00 - 5 year warranty that I paid for. Decided to call them up and start the claim process. Was told over the phone that since my crack was more any 2 inches that they couldn't do anything and that "window replacement" is not covered. So basically I will be out $1,039.50 dollars for the window and an additional $799.00 because I refuse to ever contact them again for anything. Think about it, they pocketed my money and made interest off it and refused to help. If a company can't replace a window would hate what they would do to people with a serious problem. I feel taken advantage of. For the sake of my misfortune, please don't buy their coverage, frankly they are a scam! Just read other reviews and run!

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Nicholas, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. Your contract contains language that describes what is and what isn't covered. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Ancillary Claims Supervisor, Chris Martin, at 877-705-4001.

Original review: April 29, 2020

When I purchased this product I was never told that the only place I could have repairs made were at the dealer I purchased it from. If you are within 40 miles from the selling dealer you must take it there. Outside 40 miles require pre-authorization. As it is I do reside more than 40 mi. My truck needed struts so I called and was pre approved. I made the appointment, got the work done. When the mechanic called the claim was disapproved because it was made closer than 40 miles. Here's the kicker they measure the distance by straight line not by driving miles. So this policy is useless unless I wish to drive 1.5 hours or have it towed at more expense than the repair. DO NOT BUY THIS POLICY.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

The Agreement does have a requirement to return to the Selling Dealer if you are within 40 miles. It also requires pre-approval for all repairs. Always ask the Repair Shop to call before doing any work. Please submit a copy of your paid Invoice to dallasclaims@Portfolioco.com for review.

Original review: April 15, 2020

Do NOT buy a warranty from this company. All they do is decline every claim saying it’s not covered. When you buy a bumper to bumper warranty and they say it’s not covered. That is their normal answer. You would have to know every tiny little nuance of your car. It states they cover the air conditioning but when an actuator malfunctions and it clicks and runs even when the car is off and could drain the battery or worse the wiring catch on fire that is not covered. 3 things I’ve brought my car in for in less than a year that their answer is NOT covered and get rude about it. Their customer service sucks and give attitudes. STAY AWAY from them.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

The failed component must be specifically listed under What Is Covered on your Agreement. The 2 covered items on your Policy for the hub/wheel bearing and wiring harness repairs were covered for an approved amount of $1,258.19. We do not offer a bumper to bumper Agreement. Your calls will be reviewed, and necessary actions will be taken to ensure you have a positive experience in the future. Please call if you have any additional questions. Neil Payne 866-460-1308

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Company Information