Find an Extended Auto Warranties partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services

Portfolio Protection products are designed to make your ownership experience with your vehicle a happy one. By providing vehicle service contracts to cover the high cost of repairs and Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP) to help you financially if your vehicle is totaled, the company helps you manage your budget and keep your vehicle the way you want it.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• For new and used vehicles
    • Range of coverage options
    • Covers more than just cars

Cons

• Only available through dealerships

Bottom Line

Portfolio Protection offers an array of coverage options for new and used vehicles, including RVs and motorcycles. They’re only available through dealerships, but there’s a suitable plan for nearly everyone.

Top Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicle Protection Products?

Verified

Bought a Portfolio extended service contract on my son’s Nissan Sentra as a “just in case” because he was going to graduate school a 12 hour drive from our home. Boy am I glad I d...

Verified

Absolutely a wonderful, professional company! I got a flat tire on a Saturday night ... I was told 7-10 business days I would receive my check for $170. Well it was on the 4th day...

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

What is Portfolio Protection?

Portfolio Protection is a company that offers vehicle service contracts — also known as car warranties — to owners of new and used vehicles. Portfolio Protection covers cars, RVs, trucks, motorcycles, ATVs, trailers and boats.

The name Portfolio Protection comes from the financial term describing actions taken when one proactively protects a portfolio from potential losses or damage. When you purchase a car warranty through Portfolio Protection, you are doing the same thing for your car. Portfolio Protection’s warranties are only available through select dealerships.

Portfolio Protection cost

Portfolio Protection doesn’t have prices listed on its website, but most extended car warranties cost between $400 to $600 a year. The exact cost depends on three main factors:

• The amount of coverage
    • The mileage of the vehicle
    • Your driving habits

Although Portfolio Protection doesn’t show prices on its website, it does show average car repair costs you can expect without car warranty coverage.

Portfolio Protection plans

Among several other products, Portfolio Protection has three limited warranties:

• SelectShield protects all significant powertrain parts and is tailored to fit the specific needs of the car owner.
    • Certified Pre-owned replaces or supplements a manufacturer's pre-owned factory certification.
    • EverDrive is a limited powertrain warranty covering you for the time you own the car.

Each Portfolio Protection plan can include exclusionary coverage, powertrain coverage, stated component coverage, wrap coverage and high-tech coverage.

Exclusionary coverage protects everything other than components that require regular maintenance, such as oil changes. Exclusionary coverage protects:

• Rack and pinion
    • Computer modules
    • Navigation display
    • Engine control module
    • Power steering

The high-tech coverage is restricted to used cars and covers all high-tech components. Wrap coverage is for drivers with existing powertrain coverage that would like to upgrade to exclusionary coverage.

Portfolio Protection benefits

In addition to coverage for various vehicle components, Portfolio Protection offers several benefits, including towing services and rental car reimbursement.

• Portfolio Protection covers up to $50 of towing costs per occurrence.
    • Rental car reimbursement coverage kicks in if your car is in the shop for repairs and you require alternate transportation.

Portfolio Protection FAQ

Can I cancel Portfolio Protection?
    Yes. If you cancel within the first 30 days, you can receive a refund on your car warranty. However, this is true of almost all extended auto warranties.
    What’s the best Portfolio Protection plan for me?
    The best plan and coverage depends on your specific situation. For instance, powertrain coverage is the most basic, while exclusionary coverage protects just about everything a car warranty can cover. As the Portfolio Protection website suggests, discuss all your options and concerns with your car dealership representative.
    Are Portfolio Protection warranties transferable?
    Yes, warranties from Portfolio Protection are transferable to your next car.

Is Portfolio Protection worth it?

Auto warranties are always a good way to protect your wallet. With Portfolio Protection, you pay a monthly premium to keep from having to make costly payments for expensive repairs. The company only sells warranties through select dealerships, but purchasing one might be a good choice for eligible customers.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services?

Original review: July 9, 2021

I purchase a used 2016 Explorer in April of 2019 with only 20K miles on it. The Ford bumper to bumper warranty expires and the powertrain would expire in 2 years. I was told by the dealer representative that this was an extended service plan beyond the bumper and bumper warranty and that it would cover everything like a bumper and bumper warranty would for 5 years/100K for $2800. My deductible was $100 and I did have to use the extended warranty a few times on my Explorer which helped keep more in money in my pocket. The only negative is that what the dealer representative didn't say was that it was an IN SERVICE Extended Warranty that in 2 years this warranty will expire, since the vehicle was first purchased by the first owner in 2016.

I just don't understand why someone would sell me a 5 year/100K plan for 2 years. Plus when I signed the agreement they never gave me anything that showed what it covered nor did they tell me that I can get refund. Is it even possible to get a refund for the remaining 3 years of this extended warranty that I have no use for since I can't use it? Pulling the wool over my eyes for sure, yes I was dumb not to question and get it in writing, but the Dealer Representative is also at blame for misrepresenting this warranty as a 5 year and not a 2 year.

So my question is, can I get a refund of the balance I'm paying for something I can't use or do I just eat it. Also In Service Warranty Contracts should never apply to USED VEHICLES!! Other than that, I meeting with the dealership tomorrow to figure this out because I just found out my warranty won't cover my oil leak or turbo leak and I'll be paying close to $1500 out of pocket for something that was misrepresented to me as a extended bumper to bumper warranty at expiration of 5 years/100K not 2 years. Please Portfolio no dealership should be allowed to use a In Service Warranty on a USED vehicle. Oh BTW I only received the top page and not rest of the pages, they didn't present them, which should of been a red flag.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your confusion. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. For future buying reference, it is fairly standard for all extended warranties to expire based on in-service date, since it is meant to compliment the manufacture's warranty on a brand new vehicle.

Original review: June 15, 2021

I've seen it a few times already, they look for terms to deny your coverage. My exhaust manifold is covered, my engine is covered, but the bolts that attach the two together? Sorry, not covered. The crankshaft and the rod are covered, but not the pin that holds them together. Attachment points are the weakest part of any component, but they only cover when a component itself fails, not any of the parts that hold it together despite them still being essential to the part.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2021

I wouldn't even give 1 star if the system didn't make me. It'd be a negative 5. I had a completely different understanding of GAP coverage and it's purpose until I had to learn the hard way just recently. I traded in a vehicle in OCT 2015 - the amount that was rolled into my new loan/vehicle was recommended that I purchase the GAP coverage to protect that amount that I was upside down on if something happened. So I purchased it by the recommendation of the sales guy (whom I trusted) and as I've always thought that GAP coverage is pretty simple - if there's a total loss and a difference in pay off from what is paid from the car insurance (plus in my situation the amount that was rolled into my loan) that pretty cut and dry.

So decided to include on my loan and have comfort in knowing that if anything were to happen before I was able to get the car paid off I had a cushion to help w/ the loan difference. Well fast forward to April 2021. I am in the last months of being closer to paying off my loan this fall, and have put about $2000 into it the last year to help w/ the longevity of it, rotors, wheel bearings, that sort of stuff etc...and more so looking forward to not having a car payment then purchase another vehicle in a year/two or more - whenever this one was no longer able to run... Then I get T boned - and NOT MY FAULT. I was able to get the other drivers insurance company to pay out more for the total loss on my loan in an effort to lower what GAP would pay out (thinking they would pay the difference or at least help with something) the remaining amount is approx $2300 balance to zero out the loan.

I made a claim, submitted all the paperwork - been up to date on payments (I would either do monthly or per my bank do 2 payments every other month in a big sum and there would be no issues w/ credit or fees). OR when the holidays would roll around I would defer a month payment to help w/ the holidays or pay on another bill. Not thinking anything of it - because I never read the fine print - nor did the bank or dealership explain how GAP truly works, and how I've always understood it is NOT how it is. Maybe in some situations it would make sense to have - but it was an absolute waste of money in my case. Had I known or had it been a little better explained and not misled w/ false info I wouldn't have purchased it. But I was misled of the coverage/exclusions when I agreed to purchase it.

My fault for not reading the fine print - but w/ exclusions & stipulations like that I do believe there needs to be a discussion had w/ the salesman/dealership with the consumer or the bank and their client on what can potentially be an issue by doing the deferrals offered. I am insurance agent and although it may not be much - I deal people and new vehicle purchases everyday and also have a very large network of people both personally and professionally - I WILL be making sure to be telling anyone and everyone I know if they purchased GAP - to find out what company it's with, and if it's w/ Portfolio to cancel if they can and find another provider at all costs.

I unfortunately have learned my lesson the hard hard in a circumstance that was not even my fault. I just purchased a new car, not because I wanted to, and realized that the extended warranty on my new loan that I thought was in house through the dealership - it is not. It is w/ Portfolio, and just under $3500 of my loan - I will be doing everything possible to get that off my contract ASAP - as I have learned aside to all the fine print they also don't disclose all the ways they will do everything possible to get out of paying a dime to help a consumer out after they have paid for something to support their business.

Portfolio will NEVER get one more dime out of me or anyone I know that is within my recommendation or control. I will also be contacting an attorney to review not only this GAP coverage I purchased 5+ years ago, but review the warranty contract on my new car and getting it removed if there should be any issues. Well played Portfolio - that warranty and new GAP coverage that totaled about around $4500 that you just got paid for on my new car and the SMALL amount I needed to take care of my old car loan that I had paid for - joke is on you and essentially you will be losing money.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. It is primarily standard for GAP policies to cover a Net Balance, across all GAP Providers, which does not include missed, deferred, and delinquent payments. Our policies include language detailing what is covered and what is not covered, which includes cancellation instructions. Thank you.

Original review: April 29, 2021

First of all they have never honored policy. Not once. I paid in full the price they asked for and never ever again will I buy or recommend this company. I still had to pay out of pocket what was clearly stated and covered on my policy and they still did not honor the policy. They wouldn't answer my calls half the time so I had to borrow a friend's phone. I felt like I was working for the other company on the phone. From morning to they closed they would transfer me to a outside line. This company was the worst of all yet the situations I had with this company had brought me and my husband to argue and fight everyday because he thought I was lying how they didn't do what they promised. They have been a nightmare and the auto place that sold me the warranty let's just say I'll never buy a car from them again.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Original review: April 28, 2021

Do not buy anything from them and if you do and they don´t pay - which they almost never do - file a lawsuit at your local Small Claims Court. This is the only language they understand. I am waiting for 14 day for a reaction and they only give you excuses why they won´t pay. The highlight is: RV repairs are too expensive. Hmmm - this is an RV policy. You received my money for it and you will pay!

Resolution response: April 29, 2021

The consultant of the company called and made sure that the tires were covered, and I appreciate that which is why I have changed my rating. I hope in the future their claims representatives would be better trained in customer service.

Original review: April 26, 2021

Bought a full warranty protection for my new vehicle. Unfortunately hit a random object in the freeway which damaged my tires. Spoke to someone in their claims department before and she said my tires was covered. First of all I called at least 10 tire companies and they said they don’t handle third party warranties which was extremely frustrating. I got sick and after couple of weeks called again and a guy named George from the same dept said I wasn’t covered, gave me such a hard time and hung up accidentally. I called back less than a minute and they said he was in another line. What a coward. Warranty companies should be there to make your life easier for what you pay, not make you feel like they tricked you into buying their ** warranty. If I could give this zero stars I would.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Ancillary Claims Supervisor, Chris Martin, at 877-705-4001.

Original review: March 31, 2021

I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler that I purchased in 2019. The check engine light came on and I immediately took it to our Jeep dealership in Chico, Ca. After they diagnosed the issues they started a claim with Portfolio Protection. I dropped my jeep off on 3/5/21, today is 3/31/21. 26 without a vehicle, they only will pay for a rental, for a maximum of 5 days once the claim is approved. They had to have inspector out more than once because they didn't want to pay for the repairs. I have sat on hold for over a hour on numerous days to try to figure out what is going on and why the claim isn't being approved. Finally, today they approved the claim but will only pay $138 a hour for labor. The dealership here charges $190, I am having to pay $844 out of my own pocket. DO NOT BUY anything kind of anything through Portfolio Protection.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: March 5, 2021

My daughter got into a accident. No fault of hers and they have came up with every excuse not to pay the Gap insurance. A Service I have paid for over 2 years. Now my daughter is out of a job due to no car, out of a car, and still is in debt for over $2700. Do not pay for Gap insurance from this company mostly if you deliver any type of product whether food or anything else. They will use that as an excuse not to pay.

Hi Troy,

We understand that a total loss is a great hardship and going through a claims process can be difficult when it does not get settled to your satisfaction. You are correct, GAP should not be purchased if any of these exclusions apply: Commercial Purposes means carrying goods, business related materials, or passengers for compensation. This includes, but is not limited to, using a vehicle as a taxi, or for delivery or delivery services where compensation is provided for those services.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

Updated on 02/24/2021: So I called Kevin at Portfolio as I was asked to do. He said he would get back to me. It’s been a good while, still nothing. I think it was mostly lip service. Let’s try it this way Kevin. Why don’t you call me **? And let’s settle this claim... Will update as events occur.

Original Review: Wow... Not liking my experience with this company. Purchased A three-year 36,000 mile exclusionary extended warranty for $3000. Not getting any answers and doesn’t look like they’re going to pay. I will update if things change.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

John, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our Supervisor of VSC Claims, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2021

My husband and I purchased this extended coverage at a cost of 3900.00 for our Ford F-350. When it came time to use the protection we were extremely disappointed. My truck broke down while I was out of town. I was able to get it to a dealership only to find out I would have to wait up to 48 hours for an answer on what if anything would be covered. I was towing a 44’ horse trailer with horses on board. I did get a loaner car and made arrangements for care of the animals but 5 days later I ended up paying over 1300, the company did not cover hardly anything. I live in Wisconsin and the truck had issues with the def in Georgia so to say I was disappointed is an understatement when you have to wait 48 hours for an answer, then parts can be ordered then the service needs to be done and you still have to pay 90 % of the bill. I can tell you we will never purchase this again. Terrible coverage.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Denise, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection offers a lot of value and we understand that it is unfortunate when your specific needs are not covered to your satisfaction. We received a call for 3 claims, 1/1, 1/4, and 1/8/2021. All claims were authorized same day for the MSRP parts and standard labor rates. There was a delay, outside of our control, because you moved your vehicle from one repair facility to another.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Company Information