Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
1.79/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services

Portfolio Protection products are designed to make your ownership experience with your vehicle a happy one. By providing vehicle service contracts to cover the high cost of repairs, and Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP) to help you financially if your vehicle is totaled, or our wide range of other protection products, we help you manage your budget, keep your vehicle the way you want it, and give you peace of mind.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

We are HIGHLY disappointed in Portfolio Protection. We have been paying for 3 years on this coverage and are just now needing help with our car and we are told that the sensor is not covered. According to our dealership, the sensor is a ECT Sensor. It controls the temperature gauge, causing the temperature to drop and rise, the fan kicks on and then the air conditioner kicks off. This is NOT due to normal wear and tear on the vehicle. This is due to a defective sensor. This SHOULD be a covered part. We will NEVER again get this type of coverage.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

Purchased this gap insurance top of the line plan for my son in case of an accident, well that accident happened and yes his fault, not really sure why I paid over 2,000 for this insurance to help cover the cost of the loan that was left over after insurance covered there portion,, 848.00 left over, only to hear them say months later, denied!!! That you're at fault with with the accident,, it's called an accident, nowhere in contract does it state that you won't cover for an accident... Rude people on the phone,, won't send me information I have requested,, I asked for the full contract in WRITING,, nope still have not received that,,, Portfolio is a Scam!!! Take your money and run!!!! Never again will I purchase gap insurance through this company... I'm glad your title has changed to private investigator and you were there to witness any of this!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

All I have to say I will be using Portfolio plan in about 2 months the Warranty was put on by my dealership not by my choice, however after reading all the reviews across the nation from people with their experience using this company.. I had read my coverage and my brake calipers are covered..if they give me the runaround? About this issue I will Lawyer up and I have one, it's sad to read negative reviews from people being misguided and a company who can not back up their words or contract or better yet I'll get Judge Judy involved . Hahaha. Wish me luck folks. I refuse to be pushed and get the runaround. I also read many reports in the BBB section as well. So sad..ok. Portfolio best man up . It wouldn't be the first time I drove to a company in person and demand my rights to be honored.. We live in a greedy world, you pay out they don't cover. If that's the case close shop.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

After my car unfortunately was totaled out I reached out to these clowns to cover the balance the left after the car insurance company paid their share. Sent them a mountain of documents from the insurance company, dealership, finance company, and law enforcement and no follow on their part and when I call their customer no service department I get a run around claiming not to get the paperwork. After sending the paperwork certified mail I think it will be best to proceed to file a civil suit and seek damages in court.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

The product was sold to us by Hyundai Genesis dealer as a warranty that will cover wear and tear issues at the end of the car lease. The dealer told us that after we return the leased car, they will send me a bill which I will submit to LR3. However, after I returned the car, Hyundai send a bill for dent repair but LR 3 refused to pay, under the pretext that the claim has to be opened 30 days before the end of lease. Now I see that this a rip off and they are using the 30-day condition as a way to get out of paying for the repairs.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I find it VERY odd that almost every positive review on this site ends up with a "Thanks Portfolio!" ...almost as if they were written by one person... Just my observation. I just bought a new plan through Portfolio and have had either any Positive or Negative experience but I do wish I would have read these review BEFORE I bought the warranty.

Resolution response: Oct. 26, 2019

Although I did anticipate that a refund request would probably require some administrative processing time (which is perfectly understandable, because requests do after all, have to be reviewed and properly documented), it did however, take a bit longer than I had thought it would or should. However, to be fair to Portfolio, Portfolio did review my request, reviewed the supporting documentation and calculated the appropriate refund amount (indicating that a refund was on the way). The last two representatives I communicated with were quite helpful, thus I am elevating my rating.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

Having purchased one of Portfolio's service plans in 2017 with the purchase of a new vehicle, I thought doing so was prudent, primarily due to the complexity of new cars these days. Just a shade over two years however, I traded in that vehicle for a newer model, which negated the need to maintain the remaining unused portion of my protection plan (five years). After all, a $1700.00 investment for a seven year plan is quite a bit for a plan which I had not exercised at all and no longer needed to retain.

After calling Portfolio, an associate asked that I submit various documents to confirm that I was requesting a refund, that I provide a certificate of mileage and lien holder information. Seemed reasonable enough. After faxing the information, I followed up to confirm that the associate had received what I faxed, but had to leave a message (reportedly, he was 'out to lunch'). No call back. I followed up several hours later (and after supposedly going through various PDF documents, as the associate referred to them), the associate acknowledged receipt. The associate seemed to tap dance however, around my primary concerns as to how much would be returned and when I might expect it. The best I could elicit was that Portfolio would process my request.

While I certainly don't wish to rush to judgment too quickly, I have to admit that I wasn't too terribly impressed or inspired as I felt as if I was simply dealing with a call in center, where one customer call was no more important than another. From my perspective, an uncomplicated refund request should be a relatively simple, straightforward process (especially since there was no lien holder involved and that I had not exercised any portion of my seven year plan at all). Yet, just over seven weeks later, still have no refund in hand. Perhaps I should feel fortunate that I wasn't filing an actual repair claim.

Having read various customer reviews about Portfolio, here and elsewhere, my initial impression of Portfolio (based upon my telephone conversation with one of their associates), hasn't been exactly great. Let's face it - getting refunds can sometimes be a bit more difficult than one might anticipate. While purchasing these extended protection plans seems like a wise investment, since each of us want to feel 'protected' from 'unforeseeable' repair issues, I'd wager that a respectable number of customers end up being disappointed along the way with these plans (home appliance plans, auto plans, etc. ), when they discover that they weren't as 'protected' as they believed when a claim is denied, for any number of a hundred reasons. One thing that I must confess to is that I didn't truly take into account (at the time of plan purchase), is that the administrators of these plans can deny claims using virtually any rationale that they choose to apply.

At the time or purchase of these plans, do any of us actually bother to read through all the pages of extremely fine print contained within these protection plan contracts? I didn't. There's so much fine print that one almost needs a magnifying glass to wade through each and every paragraph (presuming that we can fully comprehend all of the fine print (gobbly-gook, in my opinion), contained within). Even the wording about how refunds are calculated, in my situation, seems rather difficult to absorb.

Portfolio describes itself as the plan administrator (as do several other companies I've seen offering similar services in television ads), where they and their 'providers' are different entities (which may not anything particularly unusual). In my case however, the provider is "Express Systems" out of California. So the question becomes, just who is the customer (or the repair shop) supposed to be dealing with directly, when it comes to addressing an issue, getting work approvals, payment decisions or determining whether a claim is approved or not? One might logically presume it to be the plan administrator.

If you stop and think about it, the "administrator" and/or "provider" could theoretically, run a customer (or the repair shop) through all kinds of endless hoops as to whether or not a particular claim will be honored - after all, it's their interpretation of the plan which prevails, irrespective of what you paid for the plan. So just what position does this put the customer in when a claim is denied and they thought they were fully protected? Imagine the delays and disconnects (and potential disappointments) which could occur along the way when you're depending upon a timely responses and a claim is denied or you're having to deal with multiple entities?

Even though you've paid good money for your protection plan, it's almost as if it's a 50-50 proposition as to whether you're as fully covered as you believed. As complicated as cars have become these days, I would speculate that the list of excluded parts is probably quite large. Personally, I fail to understand (at least in part), why these protection plans absolutely must commence on the date your new vehicle is acquired, when the manufacturers warranty provides bumper to bumper protection for x number of miles/years, roadside assistance, etc.. Maybe I'm not seeing the entire picture.

In hindsight, I find myself asking when it comes to repairs, how many of us have actually taken into account that repairs may make use of 'used', 'like new' or re-manufactured parts? I'm guessing that most of us probably 'assume' that 1) we're fully covered and 2) that repairs, when needed, would consist of new or OEM parts -- ah, one should never 'assume'. If used or like new parts are used, just how long would those parts actually last and will your protection plan cover failures of those? In other words, the 'peace of mind' that we thought we purchased can (potentially) disappear quite quickly when the plan is put to the test - again, a 50-50 proposition in my opinion. If one's peace of mind is shattered (in the event the plan administrator decides that a certain repair, service or part isn't covered), just what recourse does the plan holder have? Probably, not much.

Consumers absolutely must do what I neglected to do prior to purchasing a plan. Do some online research beforehand (using various search engines), to seek out both positive and negative reviews of the company offering the plan. As I understand things, on a new vehicle purchase, you have a grace period in which you can opt into purchasing an extended protection plan and don't necessarily need to purchase a plan at that very moment. And reportedly, there's also a grace period in which one can cancel a protection plan without penalty (you should be able to cancel a plan at any time however, but will likely pay some sort of administrative fee in addition to a pro-rated calculated refund). Grace periods however, may vary.

Reputation, trustworthiness and credibility, one would think, would be of paramount importance to companies, where success hinges upon these qualities .. but, I have to wonder about where Portfolio stands, given the difficulties I have experienced in obtaining a simple refund.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

Absolutely a wonderful a professional company! I got a flat tire on a Saturday night, I went Sunday as I need brand new tire, Monday Morning I went to the dealership to find out how to get reimbursed. They told me just to call the number on my paperwork. I did that Tuesday Morning, got the paperwork faxed then faxed it back, I was told 7-10 business days I would receive my check for $170. Well it was on the 4th day I received a check $170! Thank ya'll for the fast & easy work. So worth the money I pay for the extended warranty! Ya'll are doing a great job!!

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Company Information