Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services

Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Vincent Landino

About Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews

Portfolio Protection offers vehicle service contracts, also called extended warranties, that pay for the cost of repairs for covered components. These service contracts are available for automobiles, RVs, motorcycles and powersport vehicles. Portfolio Protection also provides asset protection plans, theft deterrent products and maintenance programs.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• For new and used vehicles
    • Covers more than just cars
    • Range of coverage options

Cons

• Only available through dealerships
    • Limited information on website

Bottom Line

Portfolio Protection offers an array of coverage options for a variety of vehicles. However, its products are only available through dealerships, and pricing isn’t posted online.

Top Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicle Protection Products?

Verified

Bought a Portfolio extended service contract on my son’s Nissan Sentra as a “just in case” because he was going to graduate school a 12 hour drive from our home. Boy am I glad I d...

Verified

Absolutely a wonderful, professional company! I got a flat tire on a Saturday night ... I was told 7-10 business days I would receive my check for $170. Well it was on the 4th day...

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

What is Portfolio Protection?

Portfolio Protection is a vehicle service contract provider. It covers cars, RVs, trucks, motorcycles, ATVs and scooters against mechanical breakdowns and malfunctions. The company’s warranties are only available through select dealerships, though.

Portfolio Protection doesn’t provide much specific information about itself on its website, but this is somewhat common for warranty providers that don’t sell directly to the public.

Portfolio Protection plans

Among its other products, Portfolio Protection has the following automotive service contract options:

• Portfolio One policies come in various coverage levels ranging from powertrain to exclusionary.
    • Portfolio Horizon policies come in two different versions. One is for new and premium vehicles, but the other is for pre-owned vehicles. Like Portfolio One, these variants come in multiple tiers of coverage. The new car plan ranges from powertrain to exclusionary coverage, and the pre-owned plan ranges from powertrain to “hi-tech” coverage.
    • Quantum contracts cover your vehicle’s electronic components, including your audio system, screens and navigation systems.
    • Encore plans range from supplemental coverage to stated component coverage.
    • SelectShield protects all powertrain components and is tailored to fit your specific needs.
    • Certified Pre-Owned replaces or supplements a manufacturer's pre-owned factory certification.
    • PortfolioEdge covers the cost of covered parts for up to four years after the Original Equipment Manufacturer’s warranty has expired. However, coverage details are vague.

Based on the brochures on Portfolio Protection’s website, many of these offerings have overlapping coverage, and it’s difficult to identify key differences between them. Talk to your dealership if you have specific questions about these options, and make sure you read the terms of your contract before you sign.

Portfolio Protection benefits

In addition to coverage for various vehicle components, Portfolio Protection offers several potential benefits, including:

• Towing services
    • Jump-start service
    • Lockout assistance
    • Vehicle fluid delivery

Portfolio Protection cost

Portfolio Protection doesn’t have prices listed on its website, but most extended car warranty costs depend on several factors, including:

• The amount of coverage you choose
    • The mileage of your vehicle
    • The age of your vehicle
    • The make and model of your vehicle

Talk to your local partner dealership to see specific pricing information for your vehicle.

Portfolio Protection FAQ

Can I cancel Portfolio Protection?
    Yes, but the details are unclear. Portfolio Protection doesn’t mention the topic on the consumer portion of its website, but its dealer portal can help handle cancellations, so they must be available.
    What’s the best Portfolio Protection plan for me?
    The right plan for you depends on your specific situation. Discuss all your options with your dealership’s representative to see what’s available to you from Portfolio Protection, and then compare their offerings to your needs.
    Are Portfolio Protection warranties transferable?
    Yes, some warranties from Portfolio Protection are transferable to your car’s next owner.

Is Portfolio Protection worth it?

Auto warranties can be a good way to protect your wallet, but Portfolio Protection doesn’t list many specific benefits that make it stand out from the competition. It could still be a viable choice for you, but it depends on the pricing and details you get from your dealership.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services?

Original review: April 21, 2022

I purchased a 100,000 mile or 3 year extended warranty in October 2019 for $1800. I have not had to file a claim until 4/18/2022 when I had white smoke coming out of my exhaust. I called the company multiple times to get an approved facility to take my car to (my dealership doesn't have an attached repair shop). They told me I had to call the dealership so I did. The auto repair shop the dealership works with didn't have an opening for 2 weeks so I had to call the warranty company back to get a list of more approved facilities.

I took it to one of the approved facilities on 4/15/2022 (they are another issue, but this isn't about them) and didn't get the claim started until Monday. I got my car diagnosed and the repair shop indicated that I had a blown head gasket. The warranty company was asking for proof of Ford oil change records. We perform routine oil changes ourselves on all of our vehicles and we explained that to the repair shop. I told him that in my glovebox is a notebook with a detailed list of the Date and Mileage of all oil change and filter changes on the car. (Obviously I couldn't make those numbers up as I do not have possession of my car).

The repair shop said it would take 24-48 hours for a response. So I called the warranty company the same day and explained that I do not have Ford oil change records because we performed routine oil changes. They said to send in receipts of my purchases for those items, which I did right after getting off the phone. (BTW it is illegal to deny a claim due to performing your own maintenance, see FTC law)

48 hours later and still heard nothing from the warranty or repair shop. So I called the warranty company and said that it has been 48 hours and confirmed that they received the receipts from me and the auto repair shop and they said I needed to call the repair shop. So guess what? I called them and they said I need to call the warranty company. So, after a little back and forth the repair shop called back and said they would submit the claim without the records and see if it gets approved? But even if it does get approved I'll have to take the car to another repair shop because they charge too much for labor and the warranty company said they wouldn't approve it. (Remember that I called and got a list of approved repair shop??? Guess that doesn't matter)

Also, I live 54 miles from this repair shop so it is going to be extremely inconvenient to drive all the way out there to move my car? Plus it could damage my engine more.... Now I'm waiting on a response and obviously still don't have my car almost a week later. I'm giving a 2 star in hopes that they will actually do the repair and not just steal from me. (will update)

However, here are some things I will try to do if they deny me:
    -Appeal the denial, on basis of the FTC law.
    -Cancel my warranty and get a prorated reimbursement.
    -Call the dealership (OC AUTO exchange- Fullerton...don't go there) and complain of lying and deceit.
    -File a complaint with the BBB.

-Contact my lawyer for a small claim court suit.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769

Original review: March 30, 2022

Purchased a slightly used 2018 motorcoach in September of 2019. In November of 2021, while only 2 miles from home, a fuel rail issue stopped us in the middle of the road. Took 3.5 hours to get it towed and it went to the nearest Freightliner/Cummins Dealer 26 miles away. Took 4 weeks to get parts and repair the unit. Told the dealer three times to call to get prior approval before starting repairs however they continued to say "hope to get Cummins to pay for some of this so I don't want to call them until we know how much it will cost."

Once repairs were done then they called with final bill and of course Portfolio would not pay so I paid out of pocket and submitted a claim. Four months and numerous phone calls to Portfolio still has not even reviewed my claim for only $2561. A fraction of my original cost of the extended warranty. It seems the whole scam is simply to delay as long as possible in hopes the customer simply gets frustrated and quits calling! Beware of these companies.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Your complaint appears to be with the repair facility. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

Purchased GAP insurance. Week later a guy hits my truck and it's a total loss. Portfolio says no refund since vehicle was totaled. Insurance paid off vehicle. Never Again!!!! Said it in contract. WOW!

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Bryan, We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Your GAP Contract includes the following cancellation language: "In the event of a Total Loss, the GAP Purchase Price will be considered fully earned and no refund will be available." We understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

Just bought a brand new car and Dealer emotionally manipulated me to get this service. He never told me this was a 3 rd party and lied to me saying I could use any dealer I want Which it clearly says I have to be 30 minutes away. Dealer Star Hyundai says I can cancel in 5 months. I need to cancel immediately and they are not helping me.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Michael, your complaint appears to be with the dealership that sold you the contract. Most contracts are cancellable and the cancellation refund comes from your selling dealership and is sent to the vehicle owner. We recommend contacting the Business Office of your selling dealership to initiate cancellation. You may also send your cancellation request to dallascancels@portfolioco.com. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

I purchased a 2014 Chrysler Town & Country in 2018, with a 4yr 48k mile warranty. The warranty plan I was sold from the dealership was a fully comprehensive warranty. It was sold to me if "anything happens, transmission, engine, electronics and displays act up you're covered" This warranty added a substantial amount to the note I financed. Fast forward to this month. The dealership says the warranty company is denying any coverage to fix the oil cooler, gaskets, lines, engine thermostat, and the digital display for the navigation. Being sold one thing for peace of mind that if anything should arise, the premium paid for the warranty will take care of it, plus a deductible. Portfolio is easily the biggest scam in auto warranty, next to the automated telemarketers that call about your car's warranty. Such a lie...

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value, and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. Our contracts have specific items it covers and specific items it does not cover. Please refer to your contract. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769

Original review: Feb. 8, 2022

Purchased warranty on new 2019 GMC vehicle. Vehicle in for minor repair. I obtained a release from original dealer for a separate dealer to do repair. Service advisor got authorization from Portfolio then on the next day Portfolio denied repair saying the part is not covered. They claimed to only be the administrator and indicated I had no other recourse. Company advertises BBB certified. I will be following up my issues with BBB so they are aware of this company's service style.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value, and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

My car has currently been at the dealership waiting to be repaired for almost 30 DAYS!!! The dealership knows that the issue is the transfer case and has the part waiting to be installed. Once the car was taken apart we had to wait 24-48 hours for the Portfolio warranty inspector to come look at the car and decide if he agrees with the dealership. But of course, he doesn't and wants to choose the cheapest way out (which in return screws us because at this point we haven't had our car for almost 2 weeks and the warranty company only allows a rental for 5 days). So the inspector told the dealership to try replacing the actuator (a part of the transfer case) which the dealership told the inspector that isn't the problem, apparently a inspector knows more than the mechanic that is working on the car.

So now we are at 3 weeks Portfolio finally approved the repair for the actuator. So then dealership replaced the Actuator and we have to now wait on the seals that go along with that part. So now it's been 4 weeks and the car is still not done and we have to wait to see if that was the problem and if it wasn't then we have to go through this all over again!!! 4 weeks to get my car repaired! No rental car, having to figure out how to get to work and do errands, all because Portfolio is cheap, what a joke!! Absolutely the worst!

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact our VSC Claims Supervisor, Kevin Arrieta, at 800-335-8769.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2022

I bought a warranty in 2016 for my truck. The first time I used the warranty was in 2021 at a repair shop near my house. This experience was somewhat ok. I went to use the warranty again at the end of January 2022. At this time I was told that I could not use the dealership 1 mile from my house because there was a 40 mile tie back to the original dealership in my contract. I was told that I had to bring my truck back to the original dealership because it was only 38.4 miles away. That route is all back roads. If I take the more direct highway route it is 42 or 44 miles away.

I called Portfolio and was told that if the dealership I bought the truck at would waive the tie back I could get the truck fixed at the local dealership. I spoke to the dealership where I bought. The truck and they attempted to help me. They tried to cancel the mileage tie back but now Portfolio would not allow them to do so. Now I am stuck with a $170 diagnostic fee from the dealership close to my house and still have to bring the truck to they dealership I bought the warranty at. The dealership has been great in trying to fix the situation but Portfolio claims that there is nothing they can do.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

Found out my engine was bad and needed to be replaced. When I purchased my vehicle the dealership said it would cover anything. Replacement was denied, due to not getting recalls done, even though I never received the recall notification. After speaking with the Bureau of Automotive Repair, the recall notices usually go to the original owner, which I am not, it was a rental.

Also, considering there was/is a huge class action lawsuit against Kia for failing engines in my particular model and others, I would think that the claim would be approved. Due to the denial, I had to submit a claim through Kia Consumer Affairs as a "Good Faith" Claim which was also denied due to erroneous actions by Elk Grove Kia. I have now filed a claim with the BBB and Bureau of Automotive Repair. Buyers beware!!!! It is a waste of money to buy the extended warranty. Seems like they deny almost everything. There was never any mention of repair records, the issue was because I did not get the recall done.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Sara, your complaint is with the original manufacturer. Your service agreement "What is Not Covered": Repairs covered by any manufacturer’s warranty or manufacturer's emissions warranty on Your Vehicle (whether or not transferred with Your Vehicle), manufacturer’s recall or factory bulletins, breakdowns of components caused by a defect the manufacturer has publicly announced it would correct, but which You failed to have corrected. Please contact Kevin to discuss, (800) 335-8769

Original review: Nov. 30, 2021

Unfortunately, this was not a great experience and while I still have another claim outstanding for work done in 8/2021, I will speak to the 9/2021 claim. The process to get the claim approved and work covered is flawed and full of less than helpful options. I ended up having to pay for the repair services upfront because the process for approval was already more than a week long. Then, it took months to get reimbursed from a warranty that I paid for. I don't know that the process could be any more stressful or cumbersome for the average customer and clearly think the process needs some serious re-work as your customers are not being treated like they matter.

I did however speak with several agents in the claims reimbursement area of Portfolio (Tia and Brittany) after more than a month or two of submitting a reimbursement request who were helpful and actually answered the phone and did as they said. I only wish the request and pre-approval side of the process had individuals like Tia and Brittany working in them. Again, I think your process needs major improvement as it seems to have lost the focus on the customer that one would expect when they pay for an extended warranty and then have to use it.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services response

Hi Kimberly, we appreciate your feedback and apologize for the circumstances that prompted your reaction. Portfolio Protection policies offer a lot of value and we understand it can be disappointing when coverage is not extended to meet your satisfaction. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you. Please contact Maysoon Ben-Ghaly at 800-705-4001.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.

Portfolio Protection Vehicles & Services Company Information