Nissan Frontier

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased a 2015 Nissan Frontier and expected great things from a midsize truck. With a 16-21 mpg rating I thought it was OK. Little did I know that that was just a smoke screen by Nissan. My reasoning is the old nissan 3.3 gets 19 MPG but the NEW IMPROVED 4.0 averages 15 OR LESS. I know that auto MFG. are supposed to be improving gas mileage to reach the goal set by the Government. Why isn't NISSAN complying? Is Nissan working on a fix for this problem and when will there be a RECALL to fix this problem and what can the GOVERNMENT do to make NISSAN comply with the new fuel economy Regulations?

I wanted to share my poor experience with my 2012 King Cab Nissan Frontier 4x4. Recently the rear axle start to make a low whining sound when traveling at highway speeds. I took it to a local shop where they told me the rear differential fluid was completely empty! The truck has 70,000 miles on it. I specifically follow Nissan's recommended maintenance plan and had the rear diff fluid checked at 60,000 with no problems. Apparently the rear axle on the Frontier has poor ventilation and the axle overheats, warping the seals in the differential.

I took it to the dealer and they said the entire rear axle assembly needs to be replaced because the spider gears inside the differential are destroyed. Really??? This is not an issue that should come up on trucks that are 4 years old/70,000. Surprise, surprise, the powertrain warranty is only 60,000 miles and they wanted $4000 to replace. They said that since I don't have a record of service they can't do anything for me! Well your manual says that doesn't matter. I spoke to my neighbors that work with Ford and they laughed and said this is ridiculous and they don't even check the differential fluid on newer trucks because it rarely if ever fails. The dealer said if I wanted to complain I need to speak with Nissan USA. Sure, push off the responsibility on someone else. I bought a Titan and a Frontier from this dealership and they crapped on me. I will never buy a Nissan again.

I own a 2007 Nissan Frontier. Recently the truck started showing signs of problems when the vehicle would be switching gears. The vehicle also lost acceleration while merging into traffic. Just to make sure it wasn't something too serious I took the truck to the dealer only to learn the radiator component cracked and anti-freeze was leaking into the transmission. This was something I've never heard of. The dealer advised me to Google it. To my surprise Nissan has known about this issue since 2005.

I called Nissan consumer affairs only to be told they would not do anything to resolve this issue. I paid $5,367.47 for repairs. I will file complaint after complaint for the next 30 years or until I die whichever comes first until Nissan reimburses me for this expense. This is a Nissan design flaw. The dealer reassured me that the new radiator is a new design, but will only provide a warranty on these new items for 12,000 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. The dealer also recommends that I bypassed the radiator component from the transmission, but I got the impression that they do not provide that service. Not a happy Nissan consumer, but I do love my truck! Just sad that Nissan is not taking responsibility for their design flaw.

I bought my Frontier in 2006. At 70,000 miles transmission went out $5000.00. At 74,000 transmission burnt out again. Trans cooler leak from pinholes in radiator, 3 transmission still good knock on wood. 113,000 told to change timing belt guides $1300.00. A week later I have a blown engine $5600.00, 152,000 miles and 33,000 miles later blown engine so in 152,000 miles this truck has managed to go thru 3 transmissions and now need a 3rd engine. Nissan has stepped up to the plate once on the third transmission. I was told by the Dealership owner what a great vehicle I was purchasing. Nissan used to mean quality. Not now. I wished I bought Toyota. My GM truck was better than truck ever was never by Nissan again. They should be ashamed of how they handle customer complaints. They don't. That is their policy. I wish the Dealership owner had my experience. He might have a different view of the product he is selling.

Just bought 2011 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 with 42000 miles. Sunday about a mile from home I heard a kind of "clunk" under the hood and the alternator and brake lights came on. Was able to get home, raised hood, moved stuff out of the way, and found the serpentine belt off and the cooling fan against the radiator. Had truck hauled to Nissan dealer. They investigated, found cooling fan clutch had seized, snapping the fan shaft and hurling the fan into the radiator. Looking now at $2K+ repairs: new radiator, fan, clutch, belt, tensioner.

Can't imagine what would cause the fan clutch to seize after only 42,000 miles. Can't find this as a known problem. Plan to contact Nissan to get help on the cost of these repairs. This is not covered in 60K drivetrain warranty. I bought the truck from Taylor Ford in Waynesville, NC. Repairs are being done at Anderson Nissan in Asheville, NC.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan?

I purchased a brand new 2015 Nissan Frontier in October of 2015. The pickup was advertised to get 21 mpg on the highway and 17 in town. This pickup started getting 9 mpg in town and one time the highest mpg I got was 17. Usually I average 14. This seems very unacceptable for a small pickup. I told the dealer and they gave me one tank of gas and I seem to have to live with this problem. Then my front brakes started pulling to the right periodically. I took it in. They found no problem. Now this issue is getting worse. About every 3rd or 4th time, the brakes pull right or left or both. I am very sorry I bought this pickup.

I bought the truck new in 2006. It is my daily driver and I have 275,000 miles on the truck. Repairs have been, secondary timing chain tensioner, fuel tank sending unit, catalytic converters, front wheel bearings, brakes, tires and shocks, 2 windshields and 4 fog lights that get hit with rocks. I use Mobil 1 oil. Pull my camper that weighs about 4500 lbs loaded. Heard about the radiator problem so I bypassed the transmission cooler built in to the radiator. Always loved the way this truck handled and very easy to drive.

Paint still looks great. Don't know how long it will last but So far the cost of repairs outweigh the cost having payments on a new one. Nissan doesn't offer a roof rack anymore and that's the main reason I haven't bought one. Rack really helps hauling that long building material when I do home repairs. Great truck for me and everyone seems to like it as well so why buy a new one. In really bad weather I switch it in 4 wheel drive on the highway on the fly for added safety and traction. Often I give her a little pat on the dash and say "Good little truck". I think that helps.

I have had to replace the clutch twice under 4000 miles because the clutch was burnt. I have driven standard vehicles for 40+ years and never changed a clutch. What is the problem with the clutch on this model?

Purchased this 2007 Nissan Frontier new, well maintained and kept in the garage. It hit 82,000 miles and I have had multiple and ongoing problems. Cross contamination of radiator and transmission, know Nissan North America problem that they don't stand behind it or very minimal based on mileage. How can this be legal practice to sell an expensive product and this happens on ALL Frontiers, Pathfinders, and Xterra 2005 - 2010? If this hasn't happened to you and you have the initial factory parts it is only a matter of time.

New transmission, 2 new radiators, drive train issues, heating hose and radiator hose problems and now a flexplate problem. Very coincidental of ongoing issues in my opinion. I have literally had it in the shop every few months, driven it very minimal in the past 18 months, current mileage is at 92,000. I understand normal maintenance and repair but they produced a bad product. Very dissatisfied, disappointed and frustrated with this truck. This is my only Nissan purchase and based on this history will be my only and last.

Bought my 07 Frontier SE brand new. Only had one recall done (2008). I maintain the truck regularly with a trusted mechanic, not Nissan. Truck just flipped 82K recently. Since 2012 it won't start below 20F. Needed to get a battery and block heater. Used to start no problem even during well-below-zero weather. Nowadays, forget it. Both exhaust heat shields corroded off at the block mounts and caused all sorts of mischief. Driver side shield fell onto the steering shaft and caused awful, ear-splitting screeching. I was worried it was pulley issues or wheel problems. These were incredibly difficult to remove; from top or underneath. Too many things need to be unhooked or removed just to replace so I elected not to replace them. 2013 the EVAP system tanked. I couldn't get the truck to my mechanic.

$380 later (for 1 small plastic replacement plug and a bunch of tests) I was informed there was recall for this problem which my truck was not listed to receive. 2014 same EVAP problem. Cost me about $300 at my mechanic to fix. 2009 the engine air filter housing warped so it won't snap back together properly. Dealership would not replace; said warranty would replace and that it would most likely happen to new one as well!! Positive battery terminal snapped. Flimsy copper terminal used by Nissan. I was replacing the battery and while removing the terminal from the old battery the positive just gave out. I kept them clean as best as I could so they were pretty good. A closer look after I got the broken terminal off showed how much the copper had eroded over the years. Junk! My best friend sells Toyotas and had been trying for months now to get me to buy one. I'm ready.

My 2008 Nissan Frontier suffered from a faulty radiator that contaminated the transmission. The ECU fuse blew while I was driving causing the vehicle to lose power. My vehicle has 140000 miles on it. Nissan will do nothing to compensate me for repairs which are estimated at over 8000 dollars. The vehicle has been well maintained and had had a coolant and transmission flush done at a Nissan dealership 7 months prior to the failure. A warning of this problem would have saved me all this headache. I now am considering scrapping the truck.

I purchased my 2005 Nissan Frontier brand new. It has been well maintained, garage kept and looks very good. It now has 122,000 miles on it. Over the summer, I noticed that the A/C was not blowing cold air sometimes, or the blower would cut off altogether. Figured since we're heading into winter, I'll wait until next spring to get it checked out. Well, recently I began noticing that the truck seemed to jerk at times, but didn't think it was anything major. Over the past several weeks, I've noticed that the truck suddenly cuts off. Once I was in traffic and it suddenly shut off. I was fortunate enough to roll into a parking lot. After a little while, I got it to start again and made it to my house.

I went online to check whether or not others are having this problem, only to discover that a large number of truck owners are having issue with the transmission fluid and radiator fluid mixing. Based on this description, I asked a mechanic friend to check it out and sure enough, he confirmed that the radiator coolant had mixed with the transmission fluid. I am VERY disappointed with Nissan and their lack of accountability when making inferior products that can cause someone's death! I do not have $3-$8k to fix my truck. Right now, it's inoperable! Every time I start it up, it kunks right out. I am looking into buying another truck because I need transportation, but I have to figure out whether or not to repair the Nissan truck so that I can sell it.

I will NEVER buy another Nissan product! I don't see how they can legally get away with selling faulty products to consumers. If there was a recall for this issue at the 80K mile mark, and I didn't experience problems until 122K miles, then I don't understand the purpose of the recall. And I also don't understand why Nissan wouldn't cover this problem at whatever mileage you begin having the problem. If it didn't start happening until 150K miles, it should their responsibility to repair it at no cost to me.

I read that this people have said about a few of the 2014 Nissan Frontier and wow. In little less than 2 years I've logged 65k miles. Towed a heavy trailer that well exceeded the truck's capacity from WI to Arkansas and back. Then a lighter camper and extra 500 around my home state. I've hauled logs, pulled cars out. I've made this truck work and work hard. And have had zero issues! Only problem I've had is I flat-end the leaf springs but completely my fault for over loading it so much. I've done some pretty rough off roading to it also. Once in awhile a lemon comes along. As far as people that dealt with dealers. Everyone but one I've worked with is junk and the mechs don't know nothing.

2005 Nissan Frontier - Countless problems with this car. It seems I have had the bad luck of always being ahead of all the recall/problems since I have the first model year and drive a lot. My truck had the radiator mixing with transmission fluid problem which cost about $2,000 to get my transmission repaired/radiator replaced. At the time Nissan wanted $4,000 to fix the problem. Later was recalled. Then I had the problem where the car would turn off randomly. This time I let Nissan handle it since I knew a small shop would never get to the bottom of the problem, cost about $350 in diagnosis fees since it took them so long to find the problem, but other than that, the part was about $15. Again later recalled.

Then I was in an accident and to my surprise the airbags did not deploy (was not a big accident, but should of deployed airbags at the speed), again later recalled. It has also had multiple minor problems I have had to fix along the way. I very much recommend to look elsewhere for a truck, their cars might not be so bad (not sure, never owned one), but please look elsewhere for a truck. They make some horrendous trucks and do not stand behind their product. To top it off, check out resale value on their trucks, one of the worst out there.

I have a 2014 Nissan Frontier. I bought it new. At 32000 miles the clutch started slipping and within 5 miles and I hadn't shifted in over 10 miles. I was dead on the freeway. No forward or reverse gears. I have been driving a clutch over 30 years. Had it towed to Mossy Nissan where I bought it. I have extended warranty. I didn't want any repair costs so I bought this new truck. 1 year later this happens and 1689.99 later fixed. Get the truck back to find out I also received a crease in the drivers side door from the mechanics tool box. Less than two weeks since repairs I already feel a difference in the clutch. I now have a vibration rattle possible heat shield. Fourth gear is grinding to go into. Today should find out if I go to bureau of automotive repairs and file a complaint. I have a appointment with the general manager.

My dad's 2013 Nissan Frontier came with a Warranty Information Booklet in the glove box. This booklet provides a quick reference for warranty items. Unfortunately we found the paragraph regarding Towing Coverage to be very misleading. With regard to towing coverage, the booklet states, "If your vehicle is inoperative due to the failure of a warranted part, during any of the New Vehicle Limited Warranties, including Emission and Seat-belt warranties, towing service to the nearest authorized Nissan dealership is covered." Well, it actually turns out that Nissan requires the owner to pay for the tow to the dealership, and then will consider reimbursement after they have had an opportunity to review the required repair. This hit us hard when my dad's 2013 Frontier with only 6,500 miles dumped its transmission fluid and we were short on funds to pay for the tow.

This was clearly a warranted part within the warranty period, but Nissan refused to take care of the tow to the dealership. We even said that if Nissan towed the vehicle, and then decided the repair wasn't covered by warranty, they could put the tow on our repair bill. Nissan refused. So, if you're thinking you can save a few bucks by opting out of roadside assistance through your auto insurance because you're thinking you can rely on Nissan to cover towing for warranted items, think again - you're on the hook for it until Nissan evaluates the repair, decides it is a warranted item, and provides you with reimbursement. In my experience Nissan's Consumer Affairs Department is really good at verbalizing empathy for your situation, but their ability to explain their own warranty is pitiful. Hey Nissan, why not provide full disclosure in the Warranty Information Booklet?

I have a 2013 Nissan Frontier. 16000 miles. Found my rear view mirror hanging with piece of the windscreen attach to the mirror. Vehicle park all day in the sun. Nissan refusing to repair it saying something broke it. Have witness and video surveillance to show to the contrary.

My 2012 Nissan Frontier was always serviced regularly by Nissan dealers and was last serviced on 04 Aug 2015 at Michael Jordan Nissan, Durham NC. At that time it was noted that a battery terminal was corroded, which I indicated I would repair myself. On 11 Aug, I inspected my battery terminal and noticed that one of the battery cell caps was missing and the top of the battery was damp and debris had fallen into the battery cells and the positive battery clamp was severely corroded.

Looking online there are numerous other complaints about Nissan Frontier batteries blowing their caps off and even destroying the ECMs. When I attempted resolution with Nissan Customer Service and the servicing dealership I was only offered a replacement battery cap and a charge of $30 to clean the terminals. There is obviously a pattern of failure here that is equipment related and I am disturbed that Nissan is not interested in solving the root cause of this problem. Having a battery that blows the caps and spews acid in the engine compartment sounds like a manufacturer responsibility to me.

2006 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 - Transmission failed at 108,000 miles due to cross contamination of the fluid from a defective radiator that Nissan has known about for years and will do nothing about the problem. I had gone to my local dealer a couple of years ago when I got the notice about the extended warranty. The warranty covered vehicles with 80,000 miles or less. My truck at the time had 88,000 miles on it. I asked the dealer what preventive measures I could take. I was told there wasn't any.

I asked about a new radiator. I was told it would be the same one and that wouldn't help anything. They made it sound like it was rare to have this problem so in time I quit worrying about it until July 31, 2015 when it stalled on the freeway and I about got run over. I got it started again and made it to the end of my street where it wouldn't pull the hill because it was slipping so bad. It's a real shame Nissan won't stand behind this. My truck has been garage kept and maintained. It looks like a new one. There should be a total recall on all of these vehicles. Just think how many people will never purchase another Nissan. I've either driven a Datsan or Nissan my whole life. This was my 5th one and my last one.

So I own a 2011 Frontier pro 4x4. I went to do my rear brakes and the driver's side rear wheel was covered in gear oil. My 100k extended warranty covered it. The axle seals were bad so Nissan replaced the shaft. Also the pinion seal was leaking also so they replaced that. Now my ac is on the fritz and I smell antifreeze but can't see it, and my rear end is whining. Since I hit 74,000 miles I have been having continuous problems. Up until 74,000 no complaints.

UPDATED ON 09/24/2015: I have posted before about my truck... rear seals and pinion seal leaking. So I left off mention new problems. And again thank goodness for the platinum extended warranty I purchased. My A/C compressor and a couple lines went. A few weeks later my alternator practically cause a fire. I will say it again, since I hit 74000 miles consistent issues... The warranty has paid for itself 3 times over.

I just bought a 2015 Nissan Frontier SV on July 3rd 2015. It has water in the right head lamp. The cover for the a/c evaporator is cracked and leaking water. The lower bed side supports at the wheel both sides are broken loose from the under side of the bed. Took truck to dealer and they said the new cover is broken too for the a/c evaporator. I hope this isn't an issue as I have to pay upfront for a rental and Nissan will reimburse me for a truck I have only had just over a week. I don't know but my truck sure looks like a lemon and was made on a Friday.

I bought my truck in 06' with 35k miles. Aside from the cab light not working I have run up 140k miles on that truck. Have run it at high speeds of 80 to 90 mph on the interstate. Have repaired it from a front end collision, a side collision and a utility ramp that went under the truck. The only general things changed on it is the oil, clutch oil, antifreeze, power steer fluid, belts, ac hose that dry rotted, batteries every 2 yrs, and the alternator a few times. But I can say that truck has never been in need of major ticket items. The only thing is 4th gear makes a rattle noise at times. But it was like that from the first owner when I bought it.

One things remains the same about all these dealerships though. If you want your car to last, take it to a reputable independent mechanic shop. Those car dealers will screw up your ride just to sell you another car. They should be locked up for criminal sabotage. Car dealers are not worried about you safety on the road or the fact that correct preventive maintenance reduces major costly repairs. They just wanna sell you on the idea that everything is working fine, knowing damn well it's not. They bank on that. I think the government should have strict standards on dealership garages, when it involves any maintenance or repairs. They can be shut down if too many known issues, that are proven to be neglect, are not addressed or caused by that location's failure to "get it fixed the first time every time".

2013 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x. Upon turning right sharply or over curbs or bumps, the right suspension bumps squeaks and grinds. At first, this was isolated to the front wheel well area but now it seems to radiate down the passenger side of the truck to the rear. Dealership replaced the shock absorber but problem is continuing and getting worse. Now I feel that the exhaust must be loose (brackets etc.). Dealership assures me that it is ok. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Just got off of the phone with the regional Nissan rep about an issue my dealership (Priority Nissan of Newport News) service center identified. The Timing Chain/Timing Chain Rollers wearing prematurely. Was told there was a bulletin on it. They asked me if I noticed a noise when starting the engine. I told them yes but thought it was normal. The rep told me that (NISSAN) is not going to cover the cost of the fix because I'm 3 years out of warranty even though I'm 5000 miles under the mileage warranty at 51468 on 6/10/15. I've been driving Nissan since my wife had a 1982 Maxima. Later I purchased a 1991 Sentra "new" that I still own with 350,000 miles on it and was driving to work every day until the Transmission went out (Plan to fix that). Bought the 2007 Frontier due to the reliability of the Sentra.

A friend of mine bought three Frontiers for his business after seeing and riding in mine, Now I feel that because I don't put a lot of miles on the truck I'm being penalized by the very manufacturer that put those discrepant parts in the motor. I really enjoy driving the truck but now I have to make a decision. Do I keep it and fix it or do I get rid of it and buy a FORD or Toyota? I'm leaning toward getting rid of it if NISSAN won't help with the cost for something they know is an issue.

I ran out of gas twice in 2014. It was due to this faulty gauge. I took my Nissan Frontier 2008 4x4 SE to a local auto shop. The owner pulled up a recall and told me to check with Nissan. So I took my truck to Empire Nissan Lakewood CO and was told that my VIN didn't come up on their list. In effect telling me that they would fix it for $500 or so. I did not have it repaired yet. I feel slighted and this may skew my view of this auto company. I have owned several DATSUN/Nissan vehicles and this may be the last.

Went to the Nissan dealership to see about a recall, got it fixed and then found out the antifreeze was leaking into the transmission. Still waiting to hear from the warranty company that I have the extended warranty provided through for my 2005 Nissan Frontier w/ Nismo package on it.

My 07 Frontier is using more oil than normal with 60,000 MI, no leaks and truck has normal use and regular oil change. I know my way around mechanically, I'm a bit puzzled? Any tips or others with same issues, thanks.

The clutch on my 2012 Nissan Frontier has excessive play with only 27490 miles on it. I have been driving vehicles with standard transitions since I was 16 years old. I am now 67. It will cost $1400.00 to fix. My warranty ran out 3 months ago. Nissan does not consider the clutch as part of the drive train.

2005 Nissan Frontier - I bought this truck with 27000 miles. Engine light came on when we left the dealer. Needs fuel pump then wheel bearings then u joints then radiator then airbag light. Now timing chain plus evap leak. Thank god my wife has a Toyota. Had no credit card debt until this truck. It's almost like I bought a chevy.

Talking to my mechanic the problem seems to be an issue with other owners. Nissan has refused to help and has been very slow to help with advice. I have never had a truck that had axle failure especially two. The fix is very expensive.

Nissan Frontier Company Profile