Nissan Frontier

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Extremely disappointed with Nissan. I regret purchasing my truck (2016 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x) from this corporation. I consider myself to be a relatively educated and capable individual when it comes to self reliance and prudent decision making. I was not prepared for the isolation and fundamental disrespect I have had to endure by purchasing a vehicle retailed for over $40,000 from this manufacturer. This is the first and probably the last new car I will ever purchase, certainly from Nissan. If I could return it for a full refund, I would.

I have had to stand on my head to get them to honor the most basic problems with the vehicle that were evident ON DELIVERY. Repeated attempts to get the dealer to service relatively minor issues with the vehicle have been dropped, forgotten, or generally relegated to the "unprofitable" for the service department trash bin. I feel as though I have bought a $40,000 ticket to my own personal horror show.

At issue, a blown out zipper on the leather seat cover for the passenger side rear seat. Upon inspection at delivery, I showed the salesman the minor flaw. I was told the part was on order and I would receive a call when the part was in. After several weeks, I would call up and they would request an inspection of the problem as they had no record of the issue. 3 appointments later, I am now 18 months into my new vehicle, and it is just now being fixed. I have put a 32,000 mile on the vehicle already and am about to go out of warranty. NO RECORD of the issue by Nissan. ABSOLUTELY MADDENING. What on God's green earth would make me feel they have any honor or dignity in a real repair???

Now, under threat of losing the warranty, I have had to force the issue, and surrender the vehicle for a day's service without a replacement. Next, a blown fuse. NOT A SINGLE READABLE FUSE DIAGRAM in the owner's manual or under the hood. They want to charge me $128 to diagnose a blown fuse. I can't do it myself without a diagram.

What jerk sells a 4x4 vehicle, advertised as the top-of-the-line for off road use without a fuse diagram??? Neither under the hood or in the owner's manual??? A 10 cent fuse could leave me stranded in possibly a life threatening environment. Disgusting. Shame on Nissan. I did not buy a new vehicle to become fodder for a service department pay check. This is no partner in maintenance. This is a mega-corporation interested in taking advantage of more and more technically advanced, electronically dependent vehicles. STAY AWAY or at least BE AWARE - YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN!!!

2007 Frontier overheated cracked. Radiator fluid mixed with transmission fluid at 115,000 miles. Had to replace radiator and transmission in February 2015, cost $3400. Apparently there was a BRIEF (ridiculous) warranty, but consumer was never notified and had already expired.

Purchased a used 2005 Nissan Frontier from a GMC/Buick dealer in July 2011. Truck had just under 75K miles. Also purchased a 3 year/36 month service contract on all major components. Now in June 2017 the truck has just over 94K miles on it and it is a "brick" in my driveway. From my internet investigation there was at one time a recall or service bulletin regarding the radiator being cracked and leaking fluid into the transmission, thus ruining both the radiator and the transmission. At no time during or after my purchase of this used Nissan Frontier truck have I ever received any time of notices from Nissan regarding this recall/service bulletin or any other recall/bulletin for this 2005 Nissan Frontier truck.

Now I have a 12 year old truck with 94K miles on it that is worth about $9000 if in good condition, but to do that I would have to replace the radiator and transmission for a mere $5000 cost. Since it is a design/material defect that is acknowledged by Nissan, Nissan should be picking up this repair cost. But NOOOO they are not.

Purchased a 2008 Nissan Frontier new from the dealership. All service, maintenance done on time at dealership. Has 79000 miles. Worked fine until last week. Service engine light came on. Took vehicle straight to dealership. Vehicle has broken catalytic converter parts in engine. New engine $7800. Plus new catalytic converters $2200. Total $10000?!? Was told they see this commonly with the Frontiers?! DO NOT BUY NISSAN! Waiting for sales dept. to give me trade in value quote, which will be another kick in the face.

I have owned 80 vehicles in my lifetime, several trucks included. I've had 2 F 150 SuperCrews, 2004 and 2010 prior to purchasing my used 07 Nissan Frontier King Cab with 63,000 miles in Feb 16. I have learned to thoroughly research vehicles BEFORE purchasing. I ignored several comments about the rear axles on F 150s... And both were a problem in the 2 I owned. My experience with Ford dealers and Ford Customer Service soured me from being a dyed in the wool Ford truck guy.

I read negative comments about the radiator leaking into the trans BEFORE I purchased my Frontier. The first thing I did was pull the dipstick and look for telltale signs. Since it was ok, I put the truck on my hoist and did the simple rerouting of the cooler lines to bypass the radiator. The Frontier forums online had hundreds of posts about this and much reassurance that this would NOT cause harm to the transmission cooling as the fluid still runs through the external cooler...And it would seem that is the case as over a year later and all is well. I recently changed the fluid in front and rear axles, transfer case and automatic transmission. I change my engine oils every 4000 miles and use regular non synthetic oil, generally Castrol.

This is the quietest truck I've owned since I took the AT rated 6 ply tires off and replaced them with Cooper HT 4 ply. Every time someone rides with me they comment how quiet and rattle free this truck is! I've added a power tailgate lock that I wired to the passenger side door power lock and a tonneau cover for more secure loads. Cost of tailgate lock... $100 bucks and an hour of so of time. The trifold cover for the bed was about $275. Adds a nice look and better wind dynamics on the road.

If I had one complaint, it would be that the King Cab really doesn't offer room for more than 2 people. The rear jump seats are a joke. But, it works for me just fine. I find the 4L V6 fast AND economical. A recent trucking article I read rates it faster than a Tacoma from zero to 60... And thousands of dollars less! The turning radius is a bit wide. I have pulled a double axle car trailer with 75 Mercedes 280C across town and up a long steep grade with NO trouble at all. Having the pick up is great for the hauling needs I have. All in all, I'm in love with this little truck as much as when I purchased it! I get an average of the high 19s/20 in combination driving with 16 to 17 around town. I keep thinking I might want a Navara (new version of the Frontier) when it hits the US market but I love my 07 so much that I'm not sure I want to risk leaving what I have!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan?

My very first truck I went to Nissan because I always loved the body of the Frontier. I guess I should have did my homework. I have to replace my tires at 17,000.00 miles. WHY? They were rotated in a timely manner so along with a $450.00 dollar payment I have to purchase a set of tires somehow. My gas mileage is a joke. The men who sold me the truck gave me no money off at all that's why my payments are so high and now I hear that everyone is having serious issues at 70,000.00 miles. I am so disappointed. This is my second Nissan and I’m very sad.

2006 Frontier transmission failure contaminated with antifreeze leak. Nissan has known design flaw for years. They are of no assistance. 107000 miles, garaged, maintained well. Second and last Nissan. The company has no reputation with me. Don't buy a Nissan ever. What a dirty, little secret and screw job. Buy a Toyota or Big 3 truck.

I bought a new Nissan Frontier in 2013. Not quite 5000 miles on the truck, had brake noise, which they worked on 3 times, still have the noise. They said must be a pebble between rotor and brake pad, lol. Still have the noise 3 yrs later, then satellite radio went out. The wind noise from back door, they worked on it 4 times, never did fix it. I even opened a case with nissan affairs. They were going to have it checked my last oil change. When I went to get oil changed, they said nissan consumer affairs never contacted them. So I tried to contact consumer affairs when I got home, and they won't answer my messages. It's been a nightmare the whole time I have owned the truck. They have lied to me many times, so needless to say, wind noise is still there, and so is brake noise.

I am just another victim of the coolant leaking into the transmission. I took great care of my truck, and expected to get more life out of it. At 122,000, had to replace the guard for timing chain, 1200.00, now at 155,000, I am told that my coolant has leaked into the transmission, so it will cost at least 4000.00 to fix. Just got a notice in the mail regarding a class action suit against Nissan regarding transmission issue, I hope they get what's coming. I would never own another Nissan.

My husband purchased a 2006 Frontier for me. Loved the truck. It ran good for years. About two years ago, it stopped heating up while idling. Now I guess I am having the problems that everyone else is having. It has starting hesitating and there are small jerks as I drive. I never received a recall letter about this truck. This truck has been well maintained inside and out. I cannot believe all the bad things I have read about Nissan. We thought we were buying something that would last. We bought it new and it has been 11 years but we have taken good care of this truck. I can't believe Nissan knows about all of the problems and won't do anything.

Brand new 2016 Nissan Frontier. This is the 4th brand new vehicle I've owned and my first Nissan. Extremely disappointed with all the problems that I've never before experienced in a vehicle that I've only owned for two months: 1) Moon roof is stuck open, 2) 4WD doesn't work when temp drops below 20 deg F, 3) ABS doesn't work when temp drops below 20 deg F, 4) VDC doesn't work when temp drops below 20 deg F, 5) Engine light is on, apparently because of a failed emissions component, 6) Rattle in the moon roof frame when going over rough road, 7) head lights are too dim.

2005 Nissan Frontier Nismo 4x4. Bought this truck with 35000 miles. At 98000 miles had the issue with radiator failing causing coolant to contaminate the transmission fluid. The Nissan dealer quoted $5700 to repair it. Called Nissan consumer affairs and was told the extended warranty they offered for this issue was over in 2015 and they would not do anything about it. There is no reason a truck with under 100000 miles should have a transmission that fails. I will never buy another Nissan. I will stick with Toyota.

I purchased a 2015 Nissan Frontier and expected great things from a midsize truck. With a 16-21 mpg rating I thought it was OK. Little did I know that that was just a smoke screen by Nissan. My reasoning is the old nissan 3.3 gets 19 MPG but the NEW IMPROVED 4.0 averages 15 OR LESS. I know that auto MFG. are supposed to be improving gas mileage to reach the goal set by the Government. Why isn't NISSAN complying? Is Nissan working on a fix for this problem and when will there be a RECALL to fix this problem and what can the GOVERNMENT do to make NISSAN comply with the new fuel economy Regulations?

I wanted to share my poor experience with my 2012 King Cab Nissan Frontier 4x4. Recently the rear axle start to make a low whining sound when traveling at highway speeds. I took it to a local shop where they told me the rear differential fluid was completely empty! The truck has 70,000 miles on it. I specifically follow Nissan's recommended maintenance plan and had the rear diff fluid checked at 60,000 with no problems. Apparently the rear axle on the Frontier has poor ventilation and the axle overheats, warping the seals in the differential.

I took it to the dealer and they said the entire rear axle assembly needs to be replaced because the spider gears inside the differential are destroyed. Really??? This is not an issue that should come up on trucks that are 4 years old/70,000. Surprise, surprise, the powertrain warranty is only 60,000 miles and they wanted $4000 to replace. They said that since I don't have a record of service they can't do anything for me! Well your manual says that doesn't matter. I spoke to my neighbors that work with Ford and they laughed and said this is ridiculous and they don't even check the differential fluid on newer trucks because it rarely if ever fails. The dealer said if I wanted to complain I need to speak with Nissan USA. Sure, push off the responsibility on someone else. I bought a Titan and a Frontier from this dealership and they crapped on me. I will never buy a Nissan again.

I own a 2007 Nissan Frontier. Recently the truck started showing signs of problems when the vehicle would be switching gears. The vehicle also lost acceleration while merging into traffic. Just to make sure it wasn't something too serious I took the truck to the dealer only to learn the radiator component cracked and anti-freeze was leaking into the transmission. This was something I've never heard of. The dealer advised me to Google it. To my surprise Nissan has known about this issue since 2005.

I called Nissan consumer affairs only to be told they would not do anything to resolve this issue. I paid $5,367.47 for repairs. I will file complaint after complaint for the next 30 years or until I die whichever comes first until Nissan reimburses me for this expense. This is a Nissan design flaw. The dealer reassured me that the new radiator is a new design, but will only provide a warranty on these new items for 12,000 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. The dealer also recommends that I bypassed the radiator component from the transmission, but I got the impression that they do not provide that service. Not a happy Nissan consumer, but I do love my truck! Just sad that Nissan is not taking responsibility for their design flaw.

I bought my Frontier in 2006. At 70,000 miles transmission went out $5000.00. At 74,000 transmission burnt out again. Trans cooler leak from pinholes in radiator, 3 transmission still good knock on wood. 113,000 told to change timing belt guides $1300.00. A week later I have a blown engine $5600.00, 152,000 miles and 33,000 miles later blown engine so in 152,000 miles this truck has managed to go thru 3 transmissions and now need a 3rd engine. Nissan has stepped up to the plate once on the third transmission. I was told by the Dealership owner what a great vehicle I was purchasing. Nissan used to mean quality. Not now. I wished I bought Toyota. My GM truck was better than truck ever was never by Nissan again. They should be ashamed of how they handle customer complaints. They don't. That is their policy. I wish the Dealership owner had my experience. He might have a different view of the product he is selling.

Just bought 2011 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 V6 with 42000 miles. Sunday about a mile from home I heard a kind of "clunk" under the hood and the alternator and brake lights came on. Was able to get home, raised hood, moved stuff out of the way, and found the serpentine belt off and the cooling fan against the radiator. Had truck hauled to Nissan dealer. They investigated, found cooling fan clutch had seized, snapping the fan shaft and hurling the fan into the radiator. Looking now at $2K+ repairs: new radiator, fan, clutch, belt, tensioner.

Can't imagine what would cause the fan clutch to seize after only 42,000 miles. Can't find this as a known problem. Plan to contact Nissan to get help on the cost of these repairs. This is not covered in 60K drivetrain warranty. I bought the truck from Taylor Ford in Waynesville, NC. Repairs are being done at Anderson Nissan in Asheville, NC.

I purchased a brand new 2015 Nissan Frontier in October of 2015. The pickup was advertised to get 21 mpg on the highway and 17 in town. This pickup started getting 9 mpg in town and one time the highest mpg I got was 17. Usually I average 14. This seems very unacceptable for a small pickup. I told the dealer and they gave me one tank of gas and I seem to have to live with this problem. Then my front brakes started pulling to the right periodically. I took it in. They found no problem. Now this issue is getting worse. About every 3rd or 4th time, the brakes pull right or left or both. I am very sorry I bought this pickup.

I bought the truck new in 2006. It is my daily driver and I have 275,000 miles on the truck. Repairs have been, secondary timing chain tensioner, fuel tank sending unit, catalytic converters, front wheel bearings, brakes, tires and shocks, 2 windshields and 4 fog lights that get hit with rocks. I use Mobil 1 oil. Pull my camper that weighs about 4500 lbs loaded. Heard about the radiator problem so I bypassed the transmission cooler built in to the radiator. Always loved the way this truck handled and very easy to drive.

Paint still looks great. Don't know how long it will last but So far the cost of repairs outweigh the cost having payments on a new one. Nissan doesn't offer a roof rack anymore and that's the main reason I haven't bought one. Rack really helps hauling that long building material when I do home repairs. Great truck for me and everyone seems to like it as well so why buy a new one. In really bad weather I switch it in 4 wheel drive on the highway on the fly for added safety and traction. Often I give her a little pat on the dash and say "Good little truck". I think that helps.

I have had to replace the clutch twice under 4000 miles because the clutch was burnt. I have driven standard vehicles for 40+ years and never changed a clutch. What is the problem with the clutch on this model?

Purchased this 2007 Nissan Frontier new, well maintained and kept in the garage. It hit 82,000 miles and I have had multiple and ongoing problems. Cross contamination of radiator and transmission, know Nissan North America problem that they don't stand behind it or very minimal based on mileage. How can this be legal practice to sell an expensive product and this happens on ALL Frontiers, Pathfinders, and Xterra 2005 - 2010? If this hasn't happened to you and you have the initial factory parts it is only a matter of time.

New transmission, 2 new radiators, drive train issues, heating hose and radiator hose problems and now a flexplate problem. Very coincidental of ongoing issues in my opinion. I have literally had it in the shop every few months, driven it very minimal in the past 18 months, current mileage is at 92,000. I understand normal maintenance and repair but they produced a bad product. Very dissatisfied, disappointed and frustrated with this truck. This is my only Nissan purchase and based on this history will be my only and last.

Bought my 07 Frontier SE brand new. Only had one recall done (2008). I maintain the truck regularly with a trusted mechanic, not Nissan. Truck just flipped 82K recently. Since 2012 it won't start below 20F. Needed to get a battery and block heater. Used to start no problem even during well-below-zero weather. Nowadays, forget it. Both exhaust heat shields corroded off at the block mounts and caused all sorts of mischief. Driver side shield fell onto the steering shaft and caused awful, ear-splitting screeching. I was worried it was pulley issues or wheel problems. These were incredibly difficult to remove; from top or underneath. Too many things need to be unhooked or removed just to replace so I elected not to replace them. 2013 the EVAP system tanked. I couldn't get the truck to my mechanic.

$380 later (for 1 small plastic replacement plug and a bunch of tests) I was informed there was recall for this problem which my truck was not listed to receive. 2014 same EVAP problem. Cost me about $300 at my mechanic to fix. 2009 the engine air filter housing warped so it won't snap back together properly. Dealership would not replace; said warranty would replace and that it would most likely happen to new one as well!! Positive battery terminal snapped. Flimsy copper terminal used by Nissan. I was replacing the battery and while removing the terminal from the old battery the positive just gave out. I kept them clean as best as I could so they were pretty good. A closer look after I got the broken terminal off showed how much the copper had eroded over the years. Junk! My best friend sells Toyotas and had been trying for months now to get me to buy one. I'm ready.

My 2008 Nissan Frontier suffered from a faulty radiator that contaminated the transmission. The ECU fuse blew while I was driving causing the vehicle to lose power. My vehicle has 140000 miles on it. Nissan will do nothing to compensate me for repairs which are estimated at over 8000 dollars. The vehicle has been well maintained and had had a coolant and transmission flush done at a Nissan dealership 7 months prior to the failure. A warning of this problem would have saved me all this headache. I now am considering scrapping the truck.

I purchased my 2005 Nissan Frontier brand new. It has been well maintained, garage kept and looks very good. It now has 122,000 miles on it. Over the summer, I noticed that the A/C was not blowing cold air sometimes, or the blower would cut off altogether. Figured since we're heading into winter, I'll wait until next spring to get it checked out. Well, recently I began noticing that the truck seemed to jerk at times, but didn't think it was anything major. Over the past several weeks, I've noticed that the truck suddenly cuts off. Once I was in traffic and it suddenly shut off. I was fortunate enough to roll into a parking lot. After a little while, I got it to start again and made it to my house.

I went online to check whether or not others are having this problem, only to discover that a large number of truck owners are having issue with the transmission fluid and radiator fluid mixing. Based on this description, I asked a mechanic friend to check it out and sure enough, he confirmed that the radiator coolant had mixed with the transmission fluid. I am VERY disappointed with Nissan and their lack of accountability when making inferior products that can cause someone's death! I do not have $3-$8k to fix my truck. Right now, it's inoperable! Every time I start it up, it kunks right out. I am looking into buying another truck because I need transportation, but I have to figure out whether or not to repair the Nissan truck so that I can sell it.

I will NEVER buy another Nissan product! I don't see how they can legally get away with selling faulty products to consumers. If there was a recall for this issue at the 80K mile mark, and I didn't experience problems until 122K miles, then I don't understand the purpose of the recall. And I also don't understand why Nissan wouldn't cover this problem at whatever mileage you begin having the problem. If it didn't start happening until 150K miles, it should their responsibility to repair it at no cost to me.

I read that this people have said about a few of the 2014 Nissan Frontier and wow. In little less than 2 years I've logged 65k miles. Towed a heavy trailer that well exceeded the truck's capacity from WI to Arkansas and back. Then a lighter camper and extra 500 around my home state. I've hauled logs, pulled cars out. I've made this truck work and work hard. And have had zero issues! Only problem I've had is I flat-end the leaf springs but completely my fault for over loading it so much. I've done some pretty rough off roading to it also. Once in awhile a lemon comes along. As far as people that dealt with dealers. Everyone but one I've worked with is junk and the mechs don't know nothing.

2005 Nissan Frontier - Countless problems with this car. It seems I have had the bad luck of always being ahead of all the recall/problems since I have the first model year and drive a lot. My truck had the radiator mixing with transmission fluid problem which cost about $2,000 to get my transmission repaired/radiator replaced. At the time Nissan wanted $4,000 to fix the problem. Later was recalled. Then I had the problem where the car would turn off randomly. This time I let Nissan handle it since I knew a small shop would never get to the bottom of the problem, cost about $350 in diagnosis fees since it took them so long to find the problem, but other than that, the part was about $15. Again later recalled.

Then I was in an accident and to my surprise the airbags did not deploy (was not a big accident, but should of deployed airbags at the speed), again later recalled. It has also had multiple minor problems I have had to fix along the way. I very much recommend to look elsewhere for a truck, their cars might not be so bad (not sure, never owned one), but please look elsewhere for a truck. They make some horrendous trucks and do not stand behind their product. To top it off, check out resale value on their trucks, one of the worst out there.

I have a 2014 Nissan Frontier. I bought it new. At 32000 miles the clutch started slipping and within 5 miles and I hadn't shifted in over 10 miles. I was dead on the freeway. No forward or reverse gears. I have been driving a clutch over 30 years. Had it towed to Mossy Nissan where I bought it. I have extended warranty. I didn't want any repair costs so I bought this new truck. 1 year later this happens and 1689.99 later fixed. Get the truck back to find out I also received a crease in the drivers side door from the mechanics tool box. Less than two weeks since repairs I already feel a difference in the clutch. I now have a vibration rattle possible heat shield. Fourth gear is grinding to go into. Today should find out if I go to bureau of automotive repairs and file a complaint. I have a appointment with the general manager.

My dad's 2013 Nissan Frontier came with a Warranty Information Booklet in the glove box. This booklet provides a quick reference for warranty items. Unfortunately we found the paragraph regarding Towing Coverage to be very misleading. With regard to towing coverage, the booklet states, "If your vehicle is inoperative due to the failure of a warranted part, during any of the New Vehicle Limited Warranties, including Emission and Seat-belt warranties, towing service to the nearest authorized Nissan dealership is covered." Well, it actually turns out that Nissan requires the owner to pay for the tow to the dealership, and then will consider reimbursement after they have had an opportunity to review the required repair. This hit us hard when my dad's 2013 Frontier with only 6,500 miles dumped its transmission fluid and we were short on funds to pay for the tow.

This was clearly a warranted part within the warranty period, but Nissan refused to take care of the tow to the dealership. We even said that if Nissan towed the vehicle, and then decided the repair wasn't covered by warranty, they could put the tow on our repair bill. Nissan refused. So, if you're thinking you can save a few bucks by opting out of roadside assistance through your auto insurance because you're thinking you can rely on Nissan to cover towing for warranted items, think again - you're on the hook for it until Nissan evaluates the repair, decides it is a warranted item, and provides you with reimbursement. In my experience Nissan's Consumer Affairs Department is really good at verbalizing empathy for your situation, but their ability to explain their own warranty is pitiful. Hey Nissan, why not provide full disclosure in the Warranty Information Booklet?

I have a 2013 Nissan Frontier. 16000 miles. Found my rear view mirror hanging with piece of the windscreen attach to the mirror. Vehicle park all day in the sun. Nissan refusing to repair it saying something broke it. Have witness and video surveillance to show to the contrary.

My 2012 Nissan Frontier was always serviced regularly by Nissan dealers and was last serviced on 04 Aug 2015 at Michael Jordan Nissan, Durham NC. At that time it was noted that a battery terminal was corroded, which I indicated I would repair myself. On 11 Aug, I inspected my battery terminal and noticed that one of the battery cell caps was missing and the top of the battery was damp and debris had fallen into the battery cells and the positive battery clamp was severely corroded.

Looking online there are numerous other complaints about Nissan Frontier batteries blowing their caps off and even destroying the ECMs. When I attempted resolution with Nissan Customer Service and the servicing dealership I was only offered a replacement battery cap and a charge of $30 to clean the terminals. There is obviously a pattern of failure here that is equipment related and I am disturbed that Nissan is not interested in solving the root cause of this problem. Having a battery that blows the caps and spews acid in the engine compartment sounds like a manufacturer responsibility to me.

Nissan Frontier Company Profile