Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
1.63/5
Based on 214 reviews that contain star ratings

Nissan Frontier

The Nissan Frontier is a mid-size truck. Models that have been made since 2010 have a focus on safety features. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

321 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Purchased a 2018 from Findlay Nissan in Post Falls ID. The truck had 13 miles on it at the time of purchase. We traded in a 2008 Nissan Frontier with only 63,283 that we purchased from Jaremko Nissan in Spokane WA. There was nothing wrong with our 2008, my husband wanted a 4 door and we had an extra cab. Going up hills, the transmission would go into passing gear and bog passing gear bog. Something wasn't shifting correctly. Our old Nissan did not do that. I reached out to Findlay Nissan and the tech went for a ride and stated "that doesn't feel right". They got back to the shop and since no code tripped they told us nothing wrong. Getting nowhere with Findlay Nissan, I reached out to Nissan North America directly. After making several calls and speaking to over 3 agents before the "case manager" phoned me back.

Brandon from Nissan North America called me back and basically told me NOTHING they can do and that I had to go back to Findlay Nissan. After several calls and no return calls, I posted a review on Google and someone finally responded for me to call from Findlay. I phoned them back and explained what was going on with the truck and advised them since no one would help us, we traded the truck in, only 1600 miles, and purchased a new Chevrolet Colorado. Still waiting to see what Findlay will do to help us with our $11,000.00 loss in less than 3 months of owning this lemon. We have always owned Nissans in the past and we will NEVER buy another Nissan product. Once the sale is final, they don't know who you are.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I'm writing this simply due to the fact of so many mixed reviews here wanted to leave mine. I have a 2015 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab SB, I'm gonna try to keep this short as possible and simple. I bought the vehicle with 32** on the odometer and for a crazy good price of $10,500 from North PA. I am now at 41**. Did the oil change at 37k and absolutely nothing wrong. Usually ALL Nissans like to drink a quart in between their changes from my experience, not this VQ. At 4k now and slight amber color and the level is exactly when I changed it at 37.

I've had it for about 7 months now. I use the truck for everything, offroading, highway driving city driving, it's been to Vermont 3 times in heavy snow (12+in and falling while driving up from Albany each time) with not one hiccup, lots of back road driving, camping, went to North MA from Phila PA recently with a 2500 lb boat being towed and again, not a single issue.

Religiously tow my jetski and it's like I'm not towing anything. Never had complaints with traction, abs etc. Has had everything in the bed from hay, mulch, quads, spilled beer, crabs, fish and all it takes is a hose and it looks like new again. I like to keep the truck clean and I always keep the frame clean wash after every trip and every 3 days in snow, and it still looks amazing. Big plus was LOTS of storage inside the cab, I have purchased a cap for it so I can enclose the rear and use that as well and I am happy. The interior is simple heated cloth front seats, GREAT sound system. I usually pull everything I own apart and change it, the first car that I will be leaving as it, backup cam etc.

Pros. Lots of storage as stated. CHEAP!!! I don't care what anyone says for the price point you cannot beat it. Comfortable if you're a smaller person (I'm 5'9. It's perfect for me.) Awesome towing capabilities. Good traction control. Utilitrack rails on the bed give you lots of options such as a bed divider, bed extender, hooks etc. I also own a Tundra, it's all over the road compared to this thing. Compact and feels good in the hand, you can actually feel the vehicle. Turning is responsive and great turn radius. Sound system is A1. Big tires nice ground clearance.

Cons/Issues I have noticed/come across. This thing is a freaking whale, everything up front is flat and if it's windy at 70+MPH it will be throwing you all over the road. Brakes get sticky quick, this isn't all the time or under standard driving conditions, towing a jet ski up and down windy roads and hills and I really started to notice a nice shake in my wheel. Squeaks, it drives me crazy. I am always throwing stuff at where I think noises are coming from when driving LOL, always trying to diagnose where it's coming from. AC is weak if it's hot enough and the truck has been sitting, if it's above 100 it's not gonna be blowing the true 60 with my experience. My door panel clips keep popping off and I can't figure out why only my driver door.

Lots of wind noise but again it's a whale. Utilitrack parts are expensive!!! No pocket behind the passenger seat. Rear seats do not fold down but do fold up, but that doesn't help with what I was looking for. Has an intermittent squeak from the pulley tensioner, only when it's cold and damp it will start the worst annoying squeak and it's quite common and happens at low miles. Anything aftermarket is expensive unlike Tacomas. Will update if any issues occur, if you're looking for a poor man's Tacoma, this is it.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: June 21, 2018

This Nissan is a very durable, reliable vehicle. Had it since 2012. Never needed any work done on it or any repair. Overall great experience, great performance. I like the size of the trunk, the fact that you can lift it. It's convenient that it's a pick up truck, you can use it to transport virtually anything- from groceries to furniture to mattress. Great for moving. Not enough room in the back though. Basically good only for the two people sitting in the front. Anyone in the back would be squeezed. And if you adjust front seats - so will be people sitting in the front. Two back seats are mostly for show. Barely large enough to comfortably accommodate a child.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I bought new 2006 Frontier. First problem with it was a faulty gas gauge. Santa Monica Nissan dealership never fixed it even though I took it back 5 times. It would read empty with a full tank. Dealership went out of business. Now 2018 my transmission is gone because of defective radiator that’s causing fluid to leak into transmission. Yes they had a recall...but I'm late even though I only have 78K miles...the 96 months came first. I will never buy a Nissan, I will tell everyone I know to never buy Nissan.

Original review: May 23, 2018

2013 Nissan Pathfinder - We have had continued issues with the rear seat heaters since we purchased the vehicle Dec 2012. It is noted in each service we've had done. We get told something different each time. Once it was the rear seat moving forward and back (it's three row seating so the middle row heated seats) that pinched the wires. Another was a part of a wire was showing and grounded which popped the fuse and yesterday (May 22, 2018) it is now the heater element... but they won't fix it because now it is out of warranty, FML.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Frontier?

Original review: May 13, 2018

Bought Brand new Nissan 2007 Frontier Nismo in 2007. Within one week harness wires burned up in driveway. Nissan fixed since still under warranty. Found out at 40K miles about radiator recall which would blow up transmission at 80K if not replaced. Nissan said they no longer have to contact customer about recalls and they put expiration date so if you don't find out they do refuse to fix. Top part of cab where indentations on each side rusted when truck had 20K miles. We took to Nissan. They took cheap camera photos and said they refused to fix and not their problem. They put clay inside indentations and painted over it at factory which is a defective issue for Nissan trucks when it was made!!

Paid two times for Fender Mender to fix and it rusts every other year. Getting it fixed again but said it would costs 1500 dollars to fix it correctly. Will never buy a Nissan again because we called home office and they had a nonchalant attitude as if they did not care!! Also had gas tank gauge issue where you fill up tank and gauge goes to empty. It only goes up once you travel about 35 miles. Then you cannot trust gauge because you have 1/4 less tank of gas than you think. Had to fix that. Truck in May 2018 has 60K miles on it. We only put synthetic oil in it since it was new. Feel like truck paint should have never rusted on top of cab!! Nissan does not care about customers!!!

Original review: May 9, 2018

I bought the Nissan Frontier in May 2006. It has 217,000 miles on it. I took care of the needed maintenance on it and the truck has been good to me and my family. Only stranded me 2x. Radiator once and heater hose the other. Everything is original. Great truck! It has had only the usual wear tear items go out, by far whole lot less than any of my past vehicles.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Drivetrain noise - I bought a brand new 2018 Frontier SV 4x4 4.0l and noticed a noise when decelerating from 20-15 mph. Brought it in to get looked at and was told it was "normal"???? Called Nissan corporate and was pretty much told "we don't care".

Original review: March 19, 2018

I just bought a new 2017 Nissan Frontier. It had 377 miles on it when I bought it and now just turned 900 miles. It rattles like an amish buggy. I've been under it trying to find the rattle. It is coming from the back wall of the cab I think. I took the cheap plastic trays and the non-functional fasteners that are supposed to hold them in place out. A little of the rattle went away. Fastened all 3 rear seat belts and a bit more went away. The remaining rattle is still very substantial. I tried a little bit of "gorilla tape" on the plastic shell behind the back seat to try to keep it from rattling against the back of the cab and it was only partially successful. I have 2013 Jeep Patriot, not exactly a Cadillac, and driving over the same road doesn't rattle at all. And it's got 50000 miles on it.

I've never been so dissatisfied with a new vehicle. I may go out and trade for another Patriot. It is a 150 mile round trip to take it back to the closest dealer, which is where I bought it, and I won't bring it back out there until it's due for 1st oil change. I'll review the hell out of it until then. Also, I'd like to talk to the person who thought it was a good idea to put a plastic ring around the ignition key. I've had to pick this stupid ring of plastic off the floor at least 10 times and put it back on. No telling if I'm putting it on right or not. Not the least bit intuitive. I'm about ready to glue it on. WHY, the ascetic stupidity? It might be a good vehicle if not for this half-assed, frustrating attempt at trying to make it look better. Just piss-poor quality.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

2007 King Cab, not 4x4. Bought used at 40,0000 mi. Had to replace gas gauge within 6 months, $500 (drop one star). Then found out even though they have a timing chain the tensioner is not made of metal and fails so you still need to take the motor apart at about 110,000 miles $1500 (drop another star). Neither item is covered by Nissan. Both items are the result of very poor design decisions. Other than that I have enjoyed the vehicle, decent ride, handles well, able to pull my small boat. Not feeling as good about the honesty of the Nissan company but reasonably happy with the pickup.

Nissan Frontier Company Information