2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.80/5

The Nissan Frontier is a mid-size truck. Models that have been made since 2010 have a focus on safety features. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Nissan Frontier Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Frontier?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Frontier?

Original review: July 4, 2020

Ok, so I bought a brand new 2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4 SV Crew Cab, $35k, what i started to pay for a Ford F150 XLT, now I wish I had bought a Ford. This Frontier has so many problems, bluetooth connects when it wants to or I have to shut off ignition and restart to get it to sync with my phone, drivers window regulator keeps goin bad and now with the 3rd regulator my door creaks, window keeps making a popping sound, and glass will tilt like it's about to fall out, back up camera works when it wants to, engine idles very rough when A/C is on, at 11k miles I started getting a shake like a tire out of balance. Now 21k miles later.. 11 tire balances and 1 new tire I still have shake and mismatched tires, a squeaking noise has developed up front somewhere and sounds like a bird chirping. Dealership is unable to fix issues, DONT BUY Nissan. Prob solved.

Original review: May 12, 2020

I purchased a 2019 Nissan Frontier from the local Nissan dealer. I’ve had issues with the radio since purchasing it. At first the radio restarted whenever I played music via my Bluetooth. Now it restarts whenever it feels like, whether I’m using Bluetooth or not. I’ve called service several times about it. I’ve driven it to the service department so they can see what it’s doing but the problem can never be duplicated. So they can’t replace it or even attempt to fix it. I shouldn’t be experiencing radio issues in a vehicle that doesn’t even have 5 thousand miles on it! I hope Nissan releases a service bulletin detailing how to fix this issue but I doubt it.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 18, 2019

Just bought a 2018 Nissan Frontier pick up with 27,400 miles on it. 2 weeks after I got it home I found an oil leak on it. Carfax said valve cover gaskets were replaced in Jan 2018. Oil leak look like it was still coming from valve cover on one side so took it to dealership for repairs. They replaced valve covers again, 2 days later leak is back at same place. Now they said it's not the valve cover but something else that will take longer to fix. I haven't even made my first payment on this truck and already in shop 3 times.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I bought this trunk in 2008 with 1500 miles on her. I used it for installing cable all over northern California. The biggest issue was the transmission which did have the issue due to the coolant system being share with the radiator. Cost me 3500 bucks, but it happened at 157000 miles. I now have 205000 miles on the truck and it runs like a top!! I still use it today for work as to complete field engineering duties. Seriously I'm thinking about getting a newer one due to its reliability.... Change your oil, brake pads, and keep truckin'. Sure you can get a Toyota for at 1/3 more in cost, but this for me hands down is the best for the price by far.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I purchased a 2016 Nissan Frontier new 2 and a half years ago. Recently the motor started making a lot of noise when cold and when you accelerate. Truck has 75000 miles on it and Nissan service said it needs a new motor. Nissan consumer affairs reviewed it and refused any help due to the fact that some of the oil changes were performed by us instead of at the dealer. Will never purchase another Nissan of any type. They want 10600$ to fix.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

$27,000.00 Brand new Frontier. I had a credit score at 800. After 2 transmissions, overheating issues, numerous electrical problems and 9K in repairs I left it at my mechanic and called the bank to come and get it. Ruined my credit and Nissan didn't EVER do a thing to help me. I hate the company and wish/hope they go bankrupt. Like I had to do. Thanks Nissan you piece of…

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

Purchased a 2018 from Findlay Nissan in Post Falls ID. The truck had 13 miles on it at the time of purchase. We traded in a 2008 Nissan Frontier with only 63,283 that we purchased from Jaremko Nissan in Spokane WA. There was nothing wrong with our 2008, my husband wanted a 4 door and we had an extra cab. Going up hills, the transmission would go into passing gear and bog passing gear bog. Something wasn't shifting correctly. Our old Nissan did not do that. I reached out to Findlay Nissan and the tech went for a ride and stated "that doesn't feel right". They got back to the shop and since no code tripped they told us nothing wrong. Getting nowhere with Findlay Nissan, I reached out to Nissan North America directly. After making several calls and speaking to over 3 agents before the "case manager" phoned me back.

Brandon from Nissan North America called me back and basically told me NOTHING they can do and that I had to go back to Findlay Nissan. After several calls and no return calls, I posted a review on Google and someone finally responded for me to call from Findlay. I phoned them back and explained what was going on with the truck and advised them since no one would help us, we traded the truck in, only 1600 miles, and purchased a new Chevrolet Colorado. Still waiting to see what Findlay will do to help us with our $11,000.00 loss in less than 3 months of owning this lemon. We have always owned Nissans in the past and we will NEVER buy another Nissan product. Once the sale is final, they don't know who you are.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I'm writing this simply due to the fact of so many mixed reviews here wanted to leave mine. I have a 2015 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab SB, I'm gonna try to keep this short as possible and simple. I bought the vehicle with 32** on the odometer and for a crazy good price of $10,500 from North PA. I am now at 41**. Did the oil change at 37k and absolutely nothing wrong. Usually ALL Nissans like to drink a quart in between their changes from my experience, not this VQ. At 4k now and slight amber color and the level is exactly when I changed it at 37.

I've had it for about 7 months now. I use the truck for everything, offroading, highway driving city driving, it's been to Vermont 3 times in heavy snow (12+in and falling while driving up from Albany each time) with not one hiccup, lots of back road driving, camping, went to North MA from Phila PA recently with a 2500 lb boat being towed and again, not a single issue.

Religiously tow my jetski and it's like I'm not towing anything. Never had complaints with traction, abs etc. Has had everything in the bed from hay, mulch, quads, spilled beer, crabs, fish and all it takes is a hose and it looks like new again. I like to keep the truck clean and I always keep the frame clean wash after every trip and every 3 days in snow, and it still looks amazing. Big plus was LOTS of storage inside the cab, I have purchased a cap for it so I can enclose the rear and use that as well and I am happy. The interior is simple heated cloth front seats, GREAT sound system. I usually pull everything I own apart and change it, the first car that I will be leaving as it, backup cam etc.

Pros. Lots of storage as stated. CHEAP!!! I don't care what anyone says for the price point you cannot beat it. Comfortable if you're a smaller person (I'm 5'9. It's perfect for me.) Awesome towing capabilities. Good traction control. Utilitrack rails on the bed give you lots of options such as a bed divider, bed extender, hooks etc. I also own a Tundra, it's all over the road compared to this thing. Compact and feels good in the hand, you can actually feel the vehicle. Turning is responsive and great turn radius. Sound system is A1. Big tires nice ground clearance.

Cons/Issues I have noticed/come across. This thing is a freaking whale, everything up front is flat and if it's windy at 70+MPH it will be throwing you all over the road. Brakes get sticky quick, this isn't all the time or under standard driving conditions, towing a jet ski up and down windy roads and hills and I really started to notice a nice shake in my wheel. Squeaks, it drives me crazy. I am always throwing stuff at where I think noises are coming from when driving LOL, always trying to diagnose where it's coming from. AC is weak if it's hot enough and the truck has been sitting, if it's above 100 it's not gonna be blowing the true 60 with my experience. My door panel clips keep popping off and I can't figure out why only my driver door.

Lots of wind noise but again it's a whale. Utilitrack parts are expensive!!! No pocket behind the passenger seat. Rear seats do not fold down but do fold up, but that doesn't help with what I was looking for. Has an intermittent squeak from the pulley tensioner, only when it's cold and damp it will start the worst annoying squeak and it's quite common and happens at low miles. Anything aftermarket is expensive unlike Tacomas. Will update if any issues occur, if you're looking for a poor man's Tacoma, this is it.

Original review: June 21, 2018

This Nissan is a very durable, reliable vehicle. Had it since 2012. Never needed any work done on it or any repair. Overall great experience, great performance. I like the size of the trunk, the fact that you can lift it. It's convenient that it's a pick up truck, you can use it to transport virtually anything- from groceries to furniture to mattress. Great for moving. Not enough room in the back though. Basically good only for the two people sitting in the front. Anyone in the back would be squeezed. And if you adjust front seats - so will be people sitting in the front. Two back seats are mostly for show. Barely large enough to comfortably accommodate a child.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I bought new 2006 Frontier. First problem with it was a faulty gas gauge. Santa Monica Nissan dealership never fixed it even though I took it back 5 times. It would read empty with a full tank. Dealership went out of business. Now 2018 my transmission is gone because of defective radiator that’s causing fluid to leak into transmission. Yes they had a recall...but I'm late even though I only have 78K miles...the 96 months came first. I will never buy a Nissan, I will tell everyone I know to never buy Nissan.

Nissan Frontier Company Information