3.47/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Nissan Versa

The Nissan Versa is an affordable sedan that was first introduced in North America in 2007. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Nissan Versa Reviews

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

I purchased a 2007 Nissan Versa. Used with 32,000 miles on it, and I had driven it 100,000 miles when it was totaled in a broadside accident. In the 7 years I had it, I had to have the exhaust system repaired 3 times. At one point, the ball joints were failing, and Nissan's solution was to replace the entire suspension arms at great cost...Fortunately, my independent mechanic was able to press the ball joints out and replace them with better ones.

The front strut springs broke and I needed an upper motor mount at the next year's inspection. A fuel pump contact corroded to the point that it broke off so the car wouldn't start, so the fuel pump needed replaced and the mechanic had to replace the connector on the wire harness. That cost over $600. The A/C could not be turned off as something went wrong with the control system/switch. The blower motor resistor went bad and the HVAC fan would only run on "High". The clutch pedal assembly broke and needed replaced along with the clutch master cylinder. That cost nearly $700 to fix.

The front end creaked and groaned at the bottom of hills and I had to correct the steering whenever I hit the brakes as the car would dart to one side. At the last inspection before the accident that totaled it, the mechanic told me that some subframe bushings were deteriorating and were going to need replaced, and the labor cost was going to be a four-figure sum.

I didn't have CVT (transmission) trouble as the car was a 6-speed stick. The 6-speed was geared kind of goofy. There was a bit too much spread between 1st and 2nd, and 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gears were so close together that when I was on level ground, I often shifted from 4th to 6th, skipping 5th gear, and the engine ran at about 2,800 RPM at 60 MPH in 6th gear...Ridiculous.

The engine in this car was the 1.8 liter, and I will say that the engine was excellent! It ran well, had decent power and torque for what it was, and used nearly no oil when it had upwards of 125,000 miles on it. While this car had a commendable engine, the rest of it was junk and there was something wrong with it more often than not. The exhaust system was constantly broken somewhere. I was glad when it was totaled. I now have a Civic that feels like it was carved from a block of steel in comparison.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Worst purchase ever!! The transmission went out on my sister’s 2015 Nissan Versa. She brought the car in to Nissan on a few different occasions (before the warranty expired) and they just told her that they didn’t find anything wrong with the car. Nissan knows that their transmissions are no good, but continue to ignore the problem. The transmissions are going just outside of warranty, which tells me that they are well aware of how long these transmissions last. When you call Nissan consumer affairs, they very rudely tell you that they can’t help you because your warranty has expired. I hope this reaches enough people that Nissan has to address the problem or lose business.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

2016 Nissan Versa worst car I ever owned, the CVT transmission failed at around 100k miles, it developed an electrical short. When I called a lemon law attorney he said the Nissan CVT has more complaints than any other car brand. Do not buy a Nissan. The attorney said this model is only good to 120k miles! What? I have a Toyota Camry with 400k. Danger. Do not by any Nissan with a CVT transmission!! They're junk!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I’ve had my Versa since December 2013, bought it pre owned with 13000 miles on it. My car now has 62,000 miles on it and has started jerking in the midst of driving. I took the car to Nissan and was told they could not figure out what was wrong with it because the check engine light was not on. Two days later the light came on, took it to another mechanic, where the warning was for my spark plugs. Spark plugs were changed and the car is still jerking. No one can truly say what’s wrong with the car and it’s sad.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Our Nissan Versa was called in due to a recall on the front coil springs. Both coil springs were replaced and just over a year later the right to coil spring broke. We called Nissan headquarters and they claimed that the guarantee for the new coil spring was only a year. It had been about a year and two months So they stated that they wouldn’t cover it and that we would have to pay. Now two years later the left coil spring is broken and needs to replaced. Yet again we will have to pay to have this coil spring replaced. Remember these are two coil springs that were replaced due to a recall in the first place.

In my past experience I have never had to replace a coil spring in a car and I have had some pretty old cars. The whole situation just seems ridiculous. They obviously have a faulty part to that they can’t get fixed. We are very discouraged and frustrated at the poor customer service all around. Both my husband and I both have Nissan’s. Neither of us will ever buy a Nissan again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Versa?

Original review: March 19, 2019

When I retired, I traded my big truck for this little car so we could save money. In town - this car is outstanding in traffic. Good on gas and can move through traffic easily. Parking lots are no problem??? On the interstate! A bit of a push-over in traffic. But gas is pretty good.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I had to replace the transmission on my 2012 Nissan Versa purchased new 8/6/2012. The total cost of transmission $3,534.93. The Versa had 70,619 miles. I had the transmission serviced on 2/23/18 at a total cost of $572.93 at 63,067 miles. No problems were noted at the time of service. Because of the issues I experienced with the Versa, due to no fault of my own, I feel I should be compensated for the cost of the repairs. Nissan Corporate Office simply said the vehicle was out of warranty. Never again will I purchase a Nissan.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I bought this car in 2015, the car already had CVT issues. It used to jerk and sometimes I had to turn it on again because the car would not move. I was not aware that it was a transmission problem. The RPM started to go up and down, in the hills the car would not get speed. In 2017, the car was stopping in the middle of the road to the point that I could not drive anymore, putting my life in dangerous. I went to Nissan and the transmission was replaced, in July 2018 the RPM started to go up and down again. Around September the car started to jerk and stop.

Due to my college classes I was unable to go Nissan until the end of December. On December 31st I went to Nissan and I was told that I needed to replace a transmission part, I replaced it. However, as soon as I left Nissan, I realized that the problem was not solved at all. I went back to Nissan they told me that water was going inside a hole in my trunk and going to the lights and it was causing the problem. I went to a trusted body shop and a mechanic to get a second opinion. Both told me that the lights did not have to do with the malfunction of the car, besides there wasn't any watermarks inside my truck.

I went back to Nissan and I was told that the rear light connector needed to be replaced, that was causing the problem. However, I went to my mechanic again and another repair place, both affirmed that rear lights has nothing to do with transmission, issues related with RPM or the car stopping in the middle of the road. There is an engine code on, which shows the part that I just changed at Nissan. Now I am concerned with my safety because if I stop at an intersection the car sometimes won't move, people start to honk at me. In addition, it is dangerous because in an intersection you have to be able to move your car in a timely manner.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My daughter is attending college in London, Ontario. In October of 2017 due to school and working she required a vehicle. We attended 5 Star Auto Sales at 1500 Dundas St. London 519 455 4227. She was assisted by a salesman. As a result we purchased a 2016 Nissan Versa Note. The vehicle operated well until 21 November when my daughter drove to Chatham to put on a set of tires for the winter. On her way back to London on the 401 her vehicle started to act up. There appeared to be no power and as a result she had to get to off the 401 (concerns will be addressed regarding how dangerous this was). The vehicle was barely able to move at all. It came to a stop and a tow truck had to be called to get the vehicle to a service centre in London, Ontario. The vehicle was towed to Meineke Auto Car Care at 1688 Dundas St ·London, Ontario (226) 270-2833. This tow cost $ 250.

My daughter then went to Dale Downie Nissan dealership 1111 Oxford St E London, ON N5Y 3L7 and explained the problem with her vehicle. She enquired about the warranty and told the service tech that the vehicle had 102,000 km/s on the odometer. She was then advised that they wouldn’t cover the transmission as it was 2,000 kms over the warranty. She was also advised that to repair the vehicle would be over $4000.00 DOLLARS. This devastated her as she still owed several thousand dollars on the vehicle. It was ONLY 2000 kms over the warranty (more about this in the summary).

Meineke technicians looked at the vehicle and thought maybe it was the speed sensors. Speed sensors were then installed at a cost of $375.00. The vehicle still didn’t run. My daughter was advised that they believed it was a transmission problem and it was decided to tow the vehicle to Murray's transmission 654 York St, London, ON N5W 2S7 226-272-1290. After looking at the vehicle Murray's charged her $56 for the inspection and gave her some prices.

I advised her to speak to Five Star Auto Sales as she was in tears at this time and didn’t have any money as she had to use her school money so far. At Five Star they advised her to get the vehicle over to Wilson Transmission 123 Falcon St. London OntarioN5W 4Z2 Phone: (519) 936-1010. These were the transmission specialist they (Five Star Auto Sales) use and they would try and get it done as cheaply as possible. It was still going to cost about 2,900.00 dollars. Once again the vehicle had to be towed to this location. She was also advised that these particular transmissions (CVT) have been a problem with Nissan vehicle. On the 27 November I sent an email to Nissan Canada.

On the 28 November I received an email from Nissan Canada. I sent them a reply to their questions. I had not received a reply to this email. I subsequently contacted Nissan Canada at 1800 387 0122 on the 05 Dec. 2018 and spoke to a representative. I explained the situation to this customer representative and how the vehicle was only 2,000 kms over the warranty. I gave her the information regarding the vehicle and was advised that it was not registered under my daughter's name for warranty. She would have to do that I was told. We had no idea that the she was not registered under the warranty. Nor has she or I been told about this when the vehicle was bought. I was then told by this representative that the vehicle would have to be taken to a Nissan dealership and looked at to see what the problem was and if it would be covered. Another tow.

On the 05 Dec. 2018 I called Dale Downie Nissan dealership and spoke to a receptionist I advised her of the situation and problem. She took my phone number and advised me that a service technician would call me. As of today I still have not received a call. I doubt that I will get one. On the 10 Dec 18 I received a phone message from Nissan Canada. I was advised it was a lady called Carol who is a manager and she would be handling my file. She requested I call her back to discuss the file. I called twice on Dec 10, 2018 and each time left a message on an answering machine. The voice identified herself as Carol and stated that she would get back before the end of the day. Dec 11 2018 I made two more calls leaving messages still no answer. It seems that Nissan Canada just does not care about service or their customers at this point.

The following are concerns: 1. My daughter is a struggling student and I am on a pension. She simply cannot afford this type of cost. She has had to revert to using her student loans. 2. She owes about $16,000 on this vehicle, which she cannot use. 3. The vehicle broke down on a major highway putting my daughter’s life in danger along with any person using the highway, should an accident occur, due to the negligence of Nissan Canada in ensuring the safety of the traveling public. Nissan knows that these transmission are defective but have failed to notify owners of the vehicles. 4. My daughter has had to use her student loan money to try and fix the problem. She cannot afford to put in a transmission that has been known to be defective.

5. The WARRANTY for this vehicle is over by 2,000 kms that is about 1,200 miles. Nissan Canada will not honour this warranty even though they know that the transmission has been defective in these vehicles. It is not as if it was several thousand kms over the warranty. 6. Any attempts to rectify this situation by emails and calls has been either pass the buck, "no the warranty is expired" or simply don’t return your calls. 7. Any attempts to speak to CEO’s managers at Nissan Canada are futile numbers and email address are not online. 8. My daughter requires a vehicle for placement and to go to and from work due to the hours she is to work. I may have to have the transmission fixed before we can get any type of help. The transmission problems with the Nissan vehicles are well documented.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Took my 2012 Nissan Versa to Chapman dealership in Philadelphia to correct two recalls. At the same time the inside driver side door handle stopped working. They charged $135 just to look at it and about $190 to fix it. Now to the recall work, one was about the airbags, one was about the suspension. In repairing the airbags, the "technician" failed to secure the dash and now the passenger portion of the dash pops up unexpectedly. The suspension work required front end alignment, now the car pulls left on the highway and the steering wheel is off center to the left.

Clearly, the "technician" did poor quality work. Had contact with Nissan customer service, they talk nice, but do nothing, they e-mailed, called and promised, but have done nothing to correct the situation. I guess that I have to give up on Nissan doing the right thing. I've made an appointment with another repair shop to fix the alignment problem, I think the cost will be under $100, don't know what to do about the dash, guess I'll have to live with it, maybe I can find a way to secure it with a shim or something. Needless to say, I have purchased my last Nissan.

Nissan Versa Company Information