3.09/5
Based on 57 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 9, 2018

57 Nissan Versa Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 9, 2018

The Nissan Versa Note is a small cute car that gets good mileage and is easy to drive long or short distances. The car is an entry level car that is very much overpriced and Nissan will not work with you to lower the price, even when your money has been reduced to less than half of what you were making when you originally purchased the car. I have had the car since August 2014 and paid on it in a timely manner until the end of 2017. I owe more than the car is worth and Nissan can only work towards taking the car back, auctioning or selling it and charging you for the difference. I would not recommend buying an overpriced car from Nissan or anybody.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Thank you Patricia at All Pro Nissan on Michigan Ave. in Dearborn, MI and to Summer at Nissan Consumer Affairs. You guys are my lifesavers, my car had the transmission go out at 69,000 miles. This was not covered by my extended warranty and I didn't know what you do. Tricia told me to contact Nissan Consumer Affairs. After about a week, Summer from Nissan Consumer Affairs contacted me to say she had a favorable decision for me and the full $5,000 repair would be covered... minus the diagnosis fee of $115 which I covered gladly. I did have one issue of a torn cv axle during the transmission repair which will hopefully be covered as well... thank you Summer at Nissan Consumer Affairs and thank you Patricia at All Pro Nissan on Michigan Avenue in Dearborn, MI. Without you guys I would be out of my 2015 Nissan Versa Note SV, which I love very much. ❤❤❤

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2018

I wanted a manual transmission with no electronics, good mileage and easy to drive. Nissan Versa Note fit the bill. There's no distracting console, manual windows, no wifi or anything that can be hacked.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I have a 2012 Nissan Versa. I’m having a transmission issue. The mileage is still with the limits only 54,000 miles. They should fix the transmission... but they are not honoring the warranty... ever. Though there is a recall on it...

Original review: April 3, 2018

I bought this car Versa) new for approx 13000 in 2012. Have put zero dollars into it, except for tires and general maintenance. It has been reliable and I can pack a lot in the hatchback. Maybe I’m lucky? This is my third Nissan. My 200sx lasted 17 years. It was still running but in 2012, got smog so I regretfully put it to rest. I bought the Versa and have had it for 6 years now. I’m looking at the Altima or possibly a Versa Note.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Versa?

Original review: March 20, 2018

I noticed my 2012 Nissan Versa was jerking. Took it to a Nissan service department. They verified my shifter was broke and transmission is going out. I was shocked! I still am making payments on this car. I called Nissan. Spoke to three different employees. Hoping to get a buyback, a different car or they would pay for the transmission. I was denied on all. Now, I'm stuck paying for a car I can't even afford to fix. I had cars that lasted me years! I will never, ever buy a Nissan again. That's a guarantee.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I have a 2015 Nissan Versa with less than 50,000 miles on it and the power steering stopped working while I was driving one day. Brought it to Nissan and they said I need an entirely new steering column for over $5,000...on a car that’s less than 3 years old. I called Nissan to see if they would do the repair for a discount since the car is so new and it’s obviously a manufacturer error, and they refuse to help because the factory warranty ended a few months ago. That shouldn’t matter. When they sell a car that requires a repair for 1/3 the price of the car because of their poor quality, they should fix it.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

I read a few of the reviews on Nissan Versa. Just to bring this to everyone's attention. This is for 2007-2010 Nissan Versa + other models of Nissan. First, to provide you with additional assurance regarding your overall cost of ownership we have doubled the warranty period for the Continuously Variable Transmission in your Nissan. The existing powertrain warranty coverage of 5 years/60,000 miles will be extended at no cost to you, for CVT repairs, replacements or related towing, to 10 years/120,000 miles, whichever comes first. Mine is 5 months over the extended warranty but 16000 miles. Nissan won't do anything. But since I'm over warranty, I have nothing else I can do except share this information with everyone else.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

2014 Nissan Versa. Where to begin? Don't count on your fancy transmission lasting long. If there are any problems, the only solution is a complete replacement - mine began slipping @ 116,000 miles and was told there was "imminent mechanical failure" and an entire front-to-back transmission replacement, shipped from Nissan, would cost me $4,500.00. That was 1 week after the check engine light came on, telling me there was a problem with the "air shutter" at the front of the engine. This happened coincidentally after a rare NC snowfall, which is a common occurrence. Cost to fix? $726. I've done ALL the required/recommended maintenance since purchase. Still these are major defects and should NOT have happened. Also, the belt has squealed since day 1. They don't know why.

The rear driver door handle just quit working last month. The door locks are incredibly easy to brush when exiting, thus locking yourself out if the car is running. The silver accents around the speedometer and RPM gauge, if the sun is out and enters the dash area, prepare to be BLINDED by the reflection coming off the mirror-like accents. VERY POOR DESIGN. The center console power port... sticks out inches and is EASILY broken due to the protrusion into the cabin area. And the defroster blower... GOES OUT after a while. I've never in my entire 50 years had a car where the defroster blower quits. The dealer said "It's a plastic part, and they wear out".

There are 2 "rain gutters" where the hood meets the windshield, on either side. They are held in place by TINY plastic hooks. If any mechanic or someone working on the car is not careful, they will break them and you will not notice until later. They cost $50 each. Needless to say, I am going without. What a crappy crappy crappy car. For my first Nissan, I'll NEVER buy another Nissan as long as I live. My Ford/Chevy/GMC vehicles went far longer with fewer problems. Excellent gas mileage savings are NULLIFIED by the unnecessary and expensive mechanical failures from sub-standard parts and poor engineering. STAY CLEAR OF SMALL NISSAN CARS!!!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I purchased a 2015 Nissan Versa Note. Everything about the vehicle was great. It functioned perfectly as a commuter car. However, no one told me the transmission would be a POS. It needed a new transmission at 60,000 miles. After a couple months I noticed the same delays and "slipping" characteristics that the first transmission was displaying before it needed to be completely replaced. I have had this 2nd transmission for only 12,000 miles and it is needing to be repaired or replaced (as it is still under warranty); however, Nissan is making it extremely difficult in making this happen. They are stating nothing is wrong with the transmission even though it is doing the same thing the first transmission was doing.

I took my Nissan Versa to a another transmission shop to get a second opinion. They said this transmission runs on belts and 3 of the belts have significant delays. If those belts are not repaired they stated that the transmission will need to be completely rebuilt (an approx $4500 process - the Kelly Blue Book price for my Nissan Versa right now is $8000). This vehicle is only 3 years old. I regularly service it and I pay for whatever Nissan charges me whenever I take it in. I treat my car well and I take care of it.

My guess is they want to hold out until the warranty on the 2nd transmission is over before they finally admit there is something wrong with it. I have started to hear the same thing about the transmissions from other Nissan Versa owners and I want to give anyone else a heads up before they buy anything from Nissan. Check what type of transmission you are buying. If it is a CVT transmission DO NOT BUY unless you want to be replacing your transmission before 100,000 miles. I am still in negotiations with Nissan to get this transmission issue figured out but I can tell you my next vehicle will be with a company known to build things to last... perhaps a Honda. Those things can get run into the ground before they finally go out. They definitely last longer than 3 years.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

2016 Nissan Versa sedan - Buying this car is the most regrettable purchase of my adult life. It is clearly designed to make people so sick of economy cars that they vow to upgrade to luxury next time. Where to begin? The car idles rough, the defrost vents don't even aim at the windows properly, it acts like it is going to conk out on cold mornings even after warming up, you have to be a small person to be comfortable, (my tall roommate, literally can't get in comfortably) the door locks are ridiculous, there is no way to unlock any of the doors from the outside except the drivers door, and it is designed so that opening the door causes you to brush the lock and accidentally lock the door unknowingly, (great way to lock yourself out).

The engine seems to start turning the oil into sludge long before it should. (After only three thousand miles, I got my third oil and filter change at the dealership, and it was worryingly dark, thick and burnt smelling at only 10,000 miles.) Don't even think about buying it if you get snow in your area. The brakes seem to collect ice crystals if the roads have not been salted and become ineffective. (So much fun), the tires that came with the car were so cheap they only had half the life of standard tires before getting bald. The paint scratches very easily, and the pins that hold the side panels together are brittle or something because the top and bottom side panels keep coming apart.

I could go on but you're probably tired of reading. It is possible that their more expensive cars are better. I will never know, because if a company cannot provide decent products in their affordable range, there is no way I'm giving them money for their luxury range when I can afford to upgrade. I have had Honda and Hondia cars in the same price range with good experiences. It's a matter of corporate integrity, which (after owning two Nissans in the economy range, I can say, Nissan doesn't seem to have integrity when it comes to their lower range cars. I can't see this car outliving the car note.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Transmission failed 107,000 miles. I purchased my Nissan Versa brand new 0 miles from Sheehy Nissan in Manassas Virginia in 2013. My Nissan Versa started to not move. When I accelerate it it was stopped in the middle of the street. All of a sudden I'd have to pull over on side of the road turn it off and put it back in gear. I made it to the shop and was told I needed to replace the transmission for $4,800. This is a major problem with Nissan CVT transmissions. It is nothing they can do to help me because it's out of warranty even though it's only 4 years old. I'm not happy with this. Reading the reviews is going on so much with a CVT transmissions Nissan has got to take accountability for these flaws and extend the warranties on the CVT transmissions.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I am 66 years old and I have kept my Nissan Versa in excellent condition. I hardly drive it anywhere and still have the original floor mats that came with it when it was new. About two months ago I was simply driving out of my apt complex and right before I got to the street my gas pedal quit working. I thought I was out of gas cause I had no problems at all with my transmission prior to this. I made it to a gas station and put gas in and it drove pretty good to the grocery store where I was originally headed. I did my shopping and started my Versa and was pulling out of the store parking lot and the gas pedal quit working again. I could press it to the floor board and it would not go. I have already spent 300 dollars on wrecker fees and inspection fees from David McDavid Nissan in Houston, Texas. They told me it is my CVT transmission.

This is devastating for me. I absolutely have to have a car to go to the doctor to get my medicine I must take each month. I have no family that lives around me. I am having to walk to the store and have already missed two doctor appts. I have cried and cried and cried and Nissan will not help me to fix it. My life is over now. I have no car to go anywhere. I am stuck at home. I hope Nissan is happy to take away an senior's only way to get around away. They have no conscience. They know their CVTs transmissions are not any good. And now to top it all off they have a air bag recall that my car is one of the models on the recall list.

Original review: May 23, 2017

I currently have a 2016 Nissan Versa. I purchase this car brand new 2016. The starter on this car went out last week on 5/17/2017 and the Nissan dealership has no idea why? After the installed of this new starter my car is still making a loud!!! I will be going back to Nissan dealership to see what and why this currently happen to car that's not even a year old!!! My car currently has 16000. I am in awe with Nissan!!!

Original review: May 2, 2017

We bought a brand new 2017 Versa in Dec. We have had it back to the dealer twice already. When you get over 60mph it pulls to the left putting you in another lane. The dealer told us that the front end was out of line. Both times did the front end and still same problem. This time my wife spoke to the service manager and he told her that Nissan designed the car wrong and the wheelbase was too close. He said he had other complaints on the same problem. He told us to bring it down and he would take it out and if that's the problem he would take us to the manager and fix us up with a different car. We went today and spent 4 hrs with them trying to sell us a more expensive car. They said they could not do anything for us at the payments we had. So we ended up leaving without the problem being fixed. So I guess they will wait until someone is killed because of this problem before anything gets done.

Original review: April 15, 2017

I bought a new Nissan Versa in 2007, it was my first Nissan. I had been driving a Mercedes Benz for about five years. This was a big change. I wanted better fuel economy, but was concerned about safety. Over the course of two weeks I drove every economy car priced under $20,000. The Versa not only was the safest, but also had the most room. I will admit, it was far from being the highway car the MB was, and was certainly not the prettiest thing on the road. It did however deliver fuel economy around 34 mpg, about as good as a non hybrid got in 2007.

This car was so faithful, so dependable I simply can't say enough about it. It served my family for 9 years and 198,000 miles with never a breakdown! It failed to start once, in January of 2013. It was freezing cold out, and the battery had a bad cell. I even had a minor front end collision with it in 2008, nothing but cosmetic damage. In the 9 years of faithful service I replaced 2 sets of front brakes, one set of rear brakes, two mufflers, and one fuel censor at over 160,000 miles! The fuel censor technically didn't need to be replaced, but was required to pass emissions inspection. Otherwise, I wouldn't have done it.

The CVT transmission gave me zero troubles, even after never changing the fluid for over 80,000 miles! My mechanic told me it should have been done twice by then, that the old fluid was black when he drained it... Still, never a problem! I changed it one more time before the vehicle was totaled in an accident at 198,000. I was t-boned by a 4 ton cube truck that ran a stop sign. Like I said, this car was far from being the prettiest, sharpest or well equipped car I've ever owned... but after 198,000 faithful miles it was wrecked saving my life with the very safety items I bought it for. Now, almost a year later, my wife and I still miss it. If I had to find one complaint with this car it would be the fact, at that time, you could not get a sunroof with ABS brakes... that made zero sense, but was the packaging Nissan was doing the first year or two this car was introduced into the US market. I opted for the brakes, my family is worth it.

Original review: April 11, 2017

It has been 3 months since Nissan announced that the passenger Airbag is failed on my NISSAN VERSA 2012. They did not replace the failed part or they did not help me with the loaner vehicle until the failed part is replaced. I hate driving this vehicle anymore and I won't buy any Nissan products in my life again.

Original review: March 19, 2017

I purchased a 2013 Nissan Versa for my Daughter. She recently had a flat tire. When the trunk was opened to get the spare tire out the spare tire area was full of water which caused her jack to be rusted in areas. I had to purchased a Shop-vac in order to get the water out. I then googled the issue and there were several complaints concerning the same issue and it appears to be rain/water seem to get inside the trunk around the tail lights' area. Some explained the way they had to fix the problem at their own expense. Someone even reported their Nissan Altima had the same issue. Seems as if Nissan should have did a recall on these vehicles that has this issue. Very Disappointed!!!

Original review: March 14, 2017

Recently, I had a flat and when the tow truck arrived he informed me that my spear was rusted to the car. Shortly after we had a really bad rainstorm and when I opened my trunk, it was full of water. When I took it to Nissan they suggested that my extended warranty or auto insurance should cover it. Both insurances said that is a manufacturer defect and should be covered by Nissan. At this point, my trunk is rusted, water collects every rain we have and the mold has developed under the seats. It's a medical hazard to drive at this point. I purchased this vehicle new and over the 3.5yrs I have had it major issues have happened, the master brake cylinder went out, the cooling system caught on fire to name a few. This is the worse purchase of my life!

Original review: March 8, 2017

I purchase a 2012 Nissan Versa brand new. Kept up with the car and now 5 years later my transmission goes because my transmission oil line rusted out. Yes a 2012 pipe rusted out. I called Nissan Consumers Affairs to see if they will fix the car because corrosion is covered for 60 months and unlimited miles and my car was over by 2 months and they refused. How does a pipe rust out on a 2012 car. Nissan should be ashamed of themselves for not taking care of their customers. I have owned several Nissan cars but this is my last one.

Original review: March 8, 2017

Bought a 2014 Nissan Versa back in 2014 with 5k miles. Now in 2017 with 36k miles the transmission just died and needed to be replaced. Luckily it's still under warranty but no one can explain why at 36k miles I need a new transmission. I just took the call in a month prior for the campaign to reprogram the cvt. Do not recommend people buy a Nissan for long term. The transmission will fail at a low mileage.

Original review: March 8, 2017

My daughter is the owner of a 2013 Nissan Versa & her CVT transmission is failing. She has 64,800 miles on her car - 4,800 OVER warranty. I have spoken with several Nissan reps & have put in a claim for (over) warranty consideration. It was denied even after appeal. Not even a consideration. I spoke with the supervisor of the warranty claims people & she refused to give me her boss's name. She basically said I was screwed & that Nissan would not help. I cannot believe that they wouldn't help even a bit at all with anything. Nor would she give me her superior's name or number. Regardless of how it all turns out, this will be my last Nissan & I am from a generational family of Nissans. What a shame.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

I bought my car used but in 8 months I had to take my car to get fixed 5 times. I had to pay for a transmission that went out on me while I was on the highway, Nissan has done nothing!! They denied me today for repurchase because of lemon laws and I'm stuck with a car that has 3 recalls and that has been to the shop to get fixed 5 times and they still won't accept responsibility so not only am I stuck with a junk car I'm stuck in a car note with a car that won't make it to next year.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2016

My sister has owned a 2016 Nissan Versa for 3 months; 4 times the vehicle wouldn't start; 3 times taken to the dealer for them to say they can't find anything wrong with it. We have contacted Consumer Affairs which has contacted the service department of the dealership; only for us to be told they can't find anything wrong with it (a lot of good this did!). The latest time the car wouldn't start with jumper cables so it had to be towed. I am afraid she is going to be stranded one day. Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

Purchased 2012 Versa - new 1st time owner of a Nissan but never again. In Feb of 2016 the vehicle had 53,559 miles have kept up maintenance, did 2 recalls on the transmission, had a brake sensor replaced so the vehicle would come out of gear in Nov 2015. No major problems until... April 2016 and check engine light comes on. I replace an engine sensor as this was the code. Check engine light back on 2 weeks after correcting this, now something on the exhaust. I explain the car is not running smoothly like before. Does the transmission need to be reprogrammed like it did on the recall? Take it in at 64,182 miles and tell them something is still not correct. They tell me that it is a corroded wire harness that is causing the problems. $500 to replace and I do it. Still the car does not feel like it is running smoothly. October now, still not running smoothly.

Take it to another Nissan dealer and they charge me for diagnostic and tell me can't find anything. I question them and they said no harm in driving it. Now it is December and my transmission (CVT) is shot. $3,458 to replace it with a "rebuild". The car is just over warranty. They extend the warranty the 2007 to 2010 models because of the transmission to 7 yrs/120,000 miles. They still keep putting them in the new models knowing they have same problems. If you have a newer model tough luck for you, Nissan is not stepping up to the plate on those that have transmission problems. Unless it is a 2013-2014 Pathfinder. Nissan will extend the warranty coverage for Continuously Variable Transmission assembly (including internal CVT components, gaskets, and seals), CVT control valve body, and torque converter from its original duration of 5 years/60,000 miles to 7 years/84,000 miles, whichever comes first on 2013-2014 Pathfinder.

Coverage of other vehicle components remains unchanged, and all other terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions of Nissan's New Vehicle Limited Warranty continue to apply. So much for Nissan being an Ethical company. I will never again purchase a Nissan and neither will any of my Family & extended family members purchase one either. Which is too bad for Nissan, 20 family members who will purchase at minimum 5 new cars each in a life time if not more. That works out to $10 million dollars in sales for just 1 family.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

My Nissan Versa is very reliable, excellent gas mileage. Never had any problems in the 4 years I have owned it. Keeping up with preventive maintenance, plan to drive this car for many years to come. Nissan is a car brand I trust, and I trust my local dealer. My Nissan Versa is a four-door, very roomy, and has a large trunk. It is a pleasure to drive, and getting great gas mileage really helps when you are Mom's taxi.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

The car was very cheap even though it had a taste of quality in it. So far I have been surprisingly astonished at how good the car is for being cheap. The performance was decent, obviously nothing that should be highlighted. MPG is pretty good though and I am satisfied with that aspect of the car. The appearance is decent, I would have preferred a bit more of a sportier look to the car but it isn't a sports car after all, I'm satisfied with the appearance. So far I've had no breakdowns of the vehicle, nor has anything gone wrong or has been broken, overall good durability.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

It's brought great value to my life because it helps get my family and I around to and from places that we need or want to go. I feel like everyone should have that something that is a necessity in their lives. Performance is nice, warms up pretty fast and does great with gas mileage. It is also great in any types of diverse weather that you may have to travel through. I love the appearance of Nissan Versas. They give off a nice, but not too expensive look. Also can give off the look of a great car for a family, especially a traveling/working family. The outer design of the car is very nice and something I wouldn't mind being seen in at all. I've had this car for a few years and it's very durable to me. I haven't had any major problems at all when I think about it. This car is definitely a keeper if you ask me.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

No problems. Has taken many trips from Florida to Georgia and back on many occasions. Has been very reliable despite lack of care. Smooth ride not for racing but good on highway miles. It's not the most attractive car, it's a bit smaller than might be practicable for a larger number of people but it's still spacious enough to have plenty of space for luggage and moving semi large items. It has lasted many years with very little maintenance and has been very reliable despite many miles that it has endured in between many states.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

It is a very comfortable car, with a lot of space, elegant design. Great for long trips depending how many people ride at the back but even that they still ride comfortably. The performance is great. Smooth at driving, it is of great value, can definitely take you on long comfortable rides when either the driver or the passenger either at the front or back. The appearance is beyond words to describe. It is elegant and impressive. Makes you feel like a famous person. I highly recommend it. Durability is great. Low problems. Even if taken out on long trips frequently it still long lasting. Great gas saver.

Nissan Versa Company Information