Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.49/5

Nissan Versa

The Nissan Versa is an affordable sedan that was first introduced in North America in 2007. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

75 Nissan Versa Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I’ve had my Versa since December 2013, bought it pre owned with 13000 miles on it. My car now has 62,000 miles on it and has started jerking in the midst of driving. I took the car to Nissan and was told they could not figure out what was wrong with it because the check engine light was not on. Two days later the light came on, took it to another mechanic, where the warning was for my spark plugs. Spark plugs were changed and the car is still jerking. No one can truly say what’s wrong with the car and it’s sad.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Our Nissan Versa was called in due to a recall on the front coil springs. Both coil springs were replaced and just over a year later the right to coil spring broke. We called Nissan headquarters and they claimed that the guarantee for the new coil spring was only a year. It had been about a year and two months So they stated that they wouldn’t cover it and that we would have to pay. Now two years later the left coil spring is broken and needs to replaced. Yet again we will have to pay to have this coil spring replaced. Remember these are two coil springs that were replaced due to a recall in the first place.

In my past experience I have never had to replace a coil spring in a car and I have had some pretty old cars. The whole situation just seems ridiculous. They obviously have a faulty part to that they can’t get fixed. We are very discouraged and frustrated at the poor customer service all around. Both my husband and I both have Nissan’s. Neither of us will ever buy a Nissan again.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

When I retired, I traded my big truck for this little car so we could save money. In town - this car is outstanding in traffic. Good on gas and can move through traffic easily. Parking lots are no problem??? On the interstate! A bit of a push-over in traffic. But gas is pretty good.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I had to replace the transmission on my 2012 Nissan Versa purchased new 8/6/2012. The total cost of transmission $3,534.93. The Versa had 70,619 miles. I had the transmission serviced on 2/23/18 at a total cost of $572.93 at 63,067 miles. No problems were noted at the time of service. Because of the issues I experienced with the Versa, due to no fault of my own, I feel I should be compensated for the cost of the repairs. Nissan Corporate Office simply said the vehicle was out of warranty. Never again will I purchase a Nissan.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I bought this car in 2015, the car already had CVT issues. It used to jerk and sometimes I had to turn it on again because the car would not move. I was not aware that it was a transmission problem. The RPM started to go up and down, in the hills the car would not get speed. In 2017, the car was stopping in the middle of the road to the point that I could not drive anymore, putting my life in dangerous. I went to Nissan and the transmission was replaced, in July 2018 the RPM started to go up and down again. Around September the car started to jerk and stop.

Due to my college classes I was unable to go Nissan until the end of December. On December 31st I went to Nissan and I was told that I needed to replace a transmission part, I replaced it. However, as soon as I left Nissan, I realized that the problem was not solved at all. I went back to Nissan they told me that water was going inside a hole in my trunk and going to the lights and it was causing the problem. I went to a trusted body shop and a mechanic to get a second opinion. Both told me that the lights did not have to do with the malfunction of the car, besides there wasn't any watermarks inside my truck.

I went back to Nissan and I was told that the rear light connector needed to be replaced, that was causing the problem. However, I went to my mechanic again and another repair place, both affirmed that rear lights has nothing to do with transmission, issues related with RPM or the car stopping in the middle of the road. There is an engine code on, which shows the part that I just changed at Nissan. Now I am concerned with my safety because if I stop at an intersection the car sometimes won't move, people start to honk at me. In addition, it is dangerous because in an intersection you have to be able to move your car in a timely manner.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Versa?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My daughter is attending college in London, Ontario. In October of 2017 due to school and working she required a vehicle. We attended 5 Star Auto Sales at 1500 Dundas St. London 519 455 4227. She was assisted by a salesman. As a result we purchased a 2016 Nissan Versa Note. The vehicle operated well until 21 November when my daughter drove to Chatham to put on a set of tires for the winter. On her way back to London on the 401 her vehicle started to act up. There appeared to be no power and as a result she had to get to off the 401 (concerns will be addressed regarding how dangerous this was). The vehicle was barely able to move at all. It came to a stop and a tow truck had to be called to get the vehicle to a service centre in London, Ontario. The vehicle was towed to Meineke Auto Car Care at 1688 Dundas St ·London, Ontario (226) 270-2833. This tow cost $ 250.

My daughter then went to Dale Downie Nissan dealership 1111 Oxford St E London, ON N5Y 3L7 and explained the problem with her vehicle. She enquired about the warranty and told the service tech that the vehicle had 102,000 km/s on the odometer. She was then advised that they wouldn’t cover the transmission as it was 2,000 kms over the warranty. She was also advised that to repair the vehicle would be over $4000.00 DOLLARS. This devastated her as she still owed several thousand dollars on the vehicle. It was ONLY 2000 kms over the warranty (more about this in the summary).

Meineke technicians looked at the vehicle and thought maybe it was the speed sensors. Speed sensors were then installed at a cost of $375.00. The vehicle still didn’t run. My daughter was advised that they believed it was a transmission problem and it was decided to tow the vehicle to Murray's transmission 654 York St, London, ON N5W 2S7 226-272-1290. After looking at the vehicle Murray's charged her $56 for the inspection and gave her some prices.

I advised her to speak to Five Star Auto Sales as she was in tears at this time and didn’t have any money as she had to use her school money so far. At Five Star they advised her to get the vehicle over to Wilson Transmission 123 Falcon St. London OntarioN5W 4Z2 Phone: (519) 936-1010. These were the transmission specialist they (Five Star Auto Sales) use and they would try and get it done as cheaply as possible. It was still going to cost about 2,900.00 dollars. Once again the vehicle had to be towed to this location. She was also advised that these particular transmissions (CVT) have been a problem with Nissan vehicle. On the 27 November I sent an email to Nissan Canada.

On the 28 November I received an email from Nissan Canada. I sent them a reply to their questions. I had not received a reply to this email. I subsequently contacted Nissan Canada at 1800 387 0122 on the 05 Dec. 2018 and spoke to a representative. I explained the situation to this customer representative and how the vehicle was only 2,000 kms over the warranty. I gave her the information regarding the vehicle and was advised that it was not registered under my daughter's name for warranty. She would have to do that I was told. We had no idea that the she was not registered under the warranty. Nor has she or I been told about this when the vehicle was bought. I was then told by this representative that the vehicle would have to be taken to a Nissan dealership and looked at to see what the problem was and if it would be covered. Another tow.

On the 05 Dec. 2018 I called Dale Downie Nissan dealership and spoke to a receptionist I advised her of the situation and problem. She took my phone number and advised me that a service technician would call me. As of today I still have not received a call. I doubt that I will get one. On the 10 Dec 18 I received a phone message from Nissan Canada. I was advised it was a lady called Carol who is a manager and she would be handling my file. She requested I call her back to discuss the file. I called twice on Dec 10, 2018 and each time left a message on an answering machine. The voice identified herself as Carol and stated that she would get back before the end of the day. Dec 11 2018 I made two more calls leaving messages still no answer. It seems that Nissan Canada just does not care about service or their customers at this point.

The following are concerns: 1. My daughter is a struggling student and I am on a pension. She simply cannot afford this type of cost. She has had to revert to using her student loans. 2. She owes about $16,000 on this vehicle, which she cannot use. 3. The vehicle broke down on a major highway putting my daughter’s life in danger along with any person using the highway, should an accident occur, due to the negligence of Nissan Canada in ensuring the safety of the traveling public. Nissan knows that these transmission are defective but have failed to notify owners of the vehicles. 4. My daughter has had to use her student loan money to try and fix the problem. She cannot afford to put in a transmission that has been known to be defective.

5. The WARRANTY for this vehicle is over by 2,000 kms that is about 1,200 miles. Nissan Canada will not honour this warranty even though they know that the transmission has been defective in these vehicles. It is not as if it was several thousand kms over the warranty. 6. Any attempts to rectify this situation by emails and calls has been either pass the buck, "no the warranty is expired" or simply don’t return your calls. 7. Any attempts to speak to CEO’s managers at Nissan Canada are futile numbers and email address are not online. 8. My daughter requires a vehicle for placement and to go to and from work due to the hours she is to work. I may have to have the transmission fixed before we can get any type of help. The transmission problems with the Nissan vehicles are well documented.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

Took my 2012 Nissan Versa to Chapman dealership in Philadelphia to correct two recalls. At the same time the inside driver side door handle stopped working. They charged $135 just to look at it and about $190 to fix it. Now to the recall work, one was about the airbags, one was about the suspension. In repairing the airbags, the "technician" failed to secure the dash and now the passenger portion of the dash pops up unexpectedly. The suspension work required front end alignment, now the car pulls left on the highway and the steering wheel is off center to the left.

Clearly, the "technician" did poor quality work. Had contact with Nissan customer service, they talk nice, but do nothing, they e-mailed, called and promised, but have done nothing to correct the situation. I guess that I have to give up on Nissan doing the right thing. I've made an appointment with another repair shop to fix the alignment problem, I think the cost will be under $100, don't know what to do about the dash, guess I'll have to live with it, maybe I can find a way to secure it with a shim or something. Needless to say, I have purchased my last Nissan.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I own a 2015 Nissan Versa. I bought this car brand new with 300 miles on it. Since then I have put 117,000 miles. I had an odd issue with my transmission. My car would jerk when I would change my gear from park to reverse. However, the car would not jerk forward when shifting from park to neutral and then to reverse. When this issue occurred a check engine light came on. I had Nissan diagnose the issue at the dealership and they said I would need to spend $4500 to replace my transmission. I too, was out of warranty by 10,000 miles. I purchased a DTC/OBD scanner and read that the check engine light had a code P0705 Faulty Transmission Range Sensor. I had that sensor replaced for $200 at the dealership, however, that did not fix the issue.

I had an independent transmission shop take a look for a second opinion and they found a Nissan Technical Bulletin that stated that water can intrude in the tail light and cause a short on the circuit that is also attached to the transmission range sensor via a wire that runs from the front of the car to the back. I had a new rear tail light assembly installed and this fixed my car completely! It cost a total of $500. Your CVT may be just fine. If the car will move, then it could just be a short circuit in your tail light causing electrical issues. Please get a DTC scanner. It saved me $4000 dollars. Also service your CVT fluid every 40,000 miles and change your oil every 3,000 miles. It's also wise to use seafoam to clean your fuel line every other oil change (6,000 miles).

On a side note: When Nissan first told me my car's transmission was bad (it wasn't the transmission at all) I heavily contemplated purchasing a new car from Nissan. They offered me $500 for my 2015 Nissan Versa and were lying to me the entire time about what was wrong with my current car. The car only had a water damaged circuit board located in the rear tail light. I fixed my Versa's transmission for $500.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I bought a 2014 Nissan Versa. It was a year old. 40k on it. They never disclosed to me that the transmission was replaced 40k so right before I bought it. At 158k the transmission is going out again. I owe 6000 still on the car. It's worth maybe 1000 now because it's a piece of crap. Nissan knows that the CVT are no good and they are selling a car that are not reliable. One problem is they are not safe. I had no check engine light. It just shut down in the middle of the freeway. These cars are going to get people killed, Great job Nissan.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I am recently learning of these common severe Nissan transmission issues, as my Nissan Versa transmission failed. I bought a brand new Nissan Versa Sedan in 2014. At 80K miles, the transmission failed on a regular routine maintenance car. Two different shops, one of the shops being a Nissan dealership itself, assessed the car yielding same result - transmission failed and need a new battery.

The non-Nissan shop informed me that they had other Nissan Versas in service for the same Transmission issue, that there was a Government-issued Nissan transmission CVT recall, and to call Nissan immediately and let them know that the car is fairly new around 80K and to have such a sudden failed transmission. Additionally, the techs enlightened me that Nissan Versa's ARE NOT GOOD CARS, and Nissan in general has Transmission Issues that drivers should avoid until Nissan combats the issue. I have reached out to Nissan to inform them of the situation and reports. Hopefully, consumer services is a more quality experience than the undiscovered problem of why their transmissions are failing in new well-maintenance cars.

Nissan Versa Company Information