2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.18/5

The Nissan Versa is an affordable sedan that was first introduced in North America in 2007. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Nissan Versa Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Versa?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Versa?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

Very good gas mileage. I have not had any problems with this car that I brought used in 2016. The car is a 2015. I did replace the belt once. So far I haven't had to change bulbs or the battery and I have almost 60,000 miles on it. At purchase it had 15,000.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2019

This Versa note is very surprising looks small on the outside but big on the inside. It’s no speed demon but ok. Took me awhile to get used to the cvt transmission. We mostly drive 75 percent highway and 25 percent city. I’m getting 40.2 average mpg. Why buy a hybrid when you don’t have to for half the price? Great car.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Prior to purchasing my 2017 Nissan Versa, I was a die hard Toyota fan. I have to admit that the Nissan Versa opened my mind to what Nissan has to offer. To put it simply, an affordable and very reliable car. The interior is very roomy. It was one of the features that my kids quickly pointed out. The car also drives very well. There isn't anything negative that could be said about the way it feels as you drive it. The Nissan Versa is a very basic looking car. It is by no means a "sexy" car, however if you are looking for practicality, I would say that this particular Nissan model will not disappoint.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

BE WARNED: Nissan is having ongoing problems with censors in both Versas and Sentras. They are aware of the issues but remaining silent. I have a 2015 Versa that I purchased at Carmax in 2015 with very low mileage. At four years in and with around 50000 miles the car began to shake and act like it was going to stall out. The car blew the code P117A. A dealer told me it was related to the Air/fuel ratio censor. They replaced one related censor and that didn't work. I then had to pay out of pocket for another related censor and that didn't work. Saddest thing is I found out this censor should have been covered under the Federal Emissions Warranty so dealerships definitely acting shady. I am now finding more people online with the same issue. Now, I have a lemon and I am PISSED OFF.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

My daughter’s 2014 Nissan Versa’s transmission went out on her with fewer than 65,000 miles on it. She was 88 miles from home and stranded on an interstate. After getting her towed to a safe place and driving the 88 miles to pick her up and bring her home I called the closest Nissan dealership. They had me call the towing company they use. I called them and they went and picked up my daughter’s car. After dealing with multiple phone calls with the dealership it was finally determined that it was her transmission and that it was covered but then they said that her axle was rusted and they couldn’t get to the transmission without tearing that up but they weren’t going to cover it. I had to then go to my extended warranty to cover that portion.

Then after everything was fixed I was called by the dealership to tell me I had a balance due in the towing bill because Nissan would only cover $150. I had to ask my extended warranty to cover the rest but they would only cover $80 so I had to pay south of $50 for a tow bill that would not have existed if it had not been for their faulty transmission on a car with fewer than 65,000 miles on it. When I asked to be reimbursed they denied me. Then they had the audacity to send a survey to me. Yes I told them what I thought. I also believe there currently is a class action lawsuit against them right now for said transmission. This was our first Nissan and I can tell you we will not be purchasing another one.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2019

I have had this car now for a little over 1 year. So far so good. I bought it used. It was a rental car. Pretty decent condition. Very good gas mileage. Easy to drive. Big change though from my 1999 Nissan Pathfinder. Miss the standard shift, the get up & go. But the Versa is easier to take care of. And I don't really drive around as much now, so perfect car for me at this time in my life. Very dependable!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2019

I purchased a 2007 Nissan Versa. Used with 32,000 miles on it, and I had driven it 100,000 miles when it was totaled in a broadside accident. In the 7 years I had it, I had to have the exhaust system repaired 3 times. At one point, the ball joints were failing, and Nissan's solution was to replace the entire suspension arms at great cost...Fortunately, my independent mechanic was able to press the ball joints out and replace them with better ones.

The front strut springs broke and I needed an upper motor mount at the next year's inspection. A fuel pump contact corroded to the point that it broke off so the car wouldn't start, so the fuel pump needed replaced and the mechanic had to replace the connector on the wire harness. That cost over $600. The A/C could not be turned off as something went wrong with the control system/switch. The blower motor resistor went bad and the HVAC fan would only run on "High". The clutch pedal assembly broke and needed replaced along with the clutch master cylinder. That cost nearly $700 to fix.

The front end creaked and groaned at the bottom of hills and I had to correct the steering whenever I hit the brakes as the car would dart to one side. At the last inspection before the accident that totaled it, the mechanic told me that some subframe bushings were deteriorating and were going to need replaced, and the labor cost was going to be a four-figure sum.

I didn't have CVT (transmission) trouble as the car was a 6-speed stick. The 6-speed was geared kind of goofy. There was a bit too much spread between 1st and 2nd, and 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gears were so close together that when I was on level ground, I often shifted from 4th to 6th, skipping 5th gear, and the engine ran at about 2,800 RPM at 60 MPH in 6th gear...Ridiculous.

The engine in this car was the 1.8 liter, and I will say that the engine was excellent! It ran well, had decent power and torque for what it was, and used nearly no oil when it had upwards of 125,000 miles on it. While this car had a commendable engine, the rest of it was junk and there was something wrong with it more often than not. The exhaust system was constantly broken somewhere. I was glad when it was totaled. I now have a Civic that feels like it was carved from a block of steel in comparison.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I bought a new 2016 Nissan Versa. One day I get in the car, shut the door and the driver's side airbags deployed. Car was parked and off when this happened. I have been fighting for over a year trying to get it fixed. I had to go to hospital because stuff got in my eyes and hurt my neck which I had to file on my own insurance. Reopened the case again #**. Talked to attorney that wants the data from car showing the time it went off and my hospital records showing the time I went there so they can file personal injury suit. Not sure what to do. All I want is my car fixed correctly.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

2016 Nissan Versa worst car I ever owned, the CVT transmission failed at around 100k miles, it developed an electrical short. When I called a lemon law attorney he said the Nissan CVT has more complaints than any other car brand. Do not buy a Nissan. The attorney said this model is only good to 120k miles! What? I have a Toyota Camry with 400k. Danger. Do not by any Nissan with a CVT transmission!! They're junk!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I’ve had my Versa since December 2013, bought it pre owned with 13000 miles on it. My car now has 62,000 miles on it and has started jerking in the midst of driving. I took the car to Nissan and was told they could not figure out what was wrong with it because the check engine light was not on. Two days later the light came on, took it to another mechanic, where the warning was for my spark plugs. Spark plugs were changed and the car is still jerking. No one can truly say what’s wrong with the car and it’s sad.

Nissan Versa Company Information