Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.52/5

Nissan Leaf

The Nissan Leaf is an all-electric car that debuted in 2010. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

29 Nissan Leaf Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 4, 2019

There is a known deterioration issue with the battery (main component - roughly $10K to replace) on this vehicle in hot weather states. It appears Nissan has been aware of the problem since before we bought the car in 2015 (I am 2nd owner). The vehicle is all electric and would otherwise be an amazing little car. I bought my first Nissan in 1986 and have had at least one in the family since. Until this experience I would have been a loyal Nissan enthusiast forever.

Unfortunately, I was dealing with a major health concern when the battery on our car began displaying the symptoms of the issue. The car was still under warranty at the time but I was unable to deal with it. One of my sons contacted a dealership about it but by the time I was able to actually get the car to the dealer's service department it was a couple of weeks out of warranty. The dealership told me at the time that I was wasting my time trying to get Nissan to consider an exception but at the time I still believed they would do the right thing.

Now, two years, four escalation attempts and a state attorney general complaint later, I am resigned to the fact that they won't. The car barely has 25,000 miles on it and is nearly useless. Resale value is less than half of the $10K I paid for it and frankly, spending that same amount to put a new battery in it seems ridiculous.

So much for brand owner loyalty. I not only will never buy another Nissan product myself, I doubt that anyone I know ever will either. Here's hoping anyone who reads this will heed the warning and avoid them as well.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I went to a Nissan dealership. I was shown a Nissan Leaf 2012 with 84 miles of range. It was listed Certified Pre-Owned, 17,000 miles. I bought the car expecting roughly 84 miles of range and good quality. I'm only able to get 50 miles at best out of the car. I attempted to return it in the first week and lease or buy another car. They refused to take the car back. They took the car in for a factory recall and to check the Lithium Ion battery. Nissan claims the battery is fine with 11 bars and 82 miles of range. I'm unable to get 50 miles without it going into low battery mode. I'm extremely upset at Woodfield Nissan Dealership, in IL.

I'm also upset with Nissan USA as they've been more defensive than helpful. I paid over the car's value due to the range I expected and a quality vehicle. However what I got was a $12,000 brick in my driveway. Which had a factory recall based around safety issues the dealership never disclosed to me. I had to replace the 12 volt battery in the first 2 months of driving it. The worse thing about it is that I can't drive my "new" car to work in the snow because of the actual range the car gets as opposed to the range Nissan claims it gets.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I bought the Leaf to commute from home to college and an electric made sense. The car was used and as I drove it the battery lost more and more cells! It was 33,000 miles on it and over the warranty by less than a year. After calling the Nissan Leaf Dept and talking to a rude lady and then a guy who was not rude but both had no intention of helping in any way! At least now I have a Nissan piece of ** with only 33,000 miles on it and a loan on it and a Company that does not stand behind its product. Yes they have a "customer service" dept but that's just people answering the phone with no authority to help in any way. All in all... The worst experience, my first experience in buying a car! No one should buy a Nissan!

Original review: July 1, 2018

I purchased a new, June ‘15 UK version of the 30kwh model of Nissan Leaf in Sri Lanka on the 1st Jan ‘16. Dealer said it was capable of 280 kms on a single charge. OAT of 32c gave only 220 kms! 18 months later it’s showing just 130 kms on an overnight charge but does even less. Done only 8000 kms!! Extremely unhappy as there’s no help from the Nissan agents and I won’t be recommending this model or its future models to anyone as my confidence in Nissan is shattered. Would like Nissan to revert (if that’s not too tough for them).

Original review: June 30, 2018

When I bought my LEAF in 2011, I fell in love with it. Great pickup, almost zero maintenance. Unsuitable for long trips, but great for errands around town. And with a 5-year warranty on the battery maintaining "approximately 70% of battery capacity", I should be covered, right? Wrong. As my car approached the 5-year expiration date, with 22,000 miles on the odometer, the car was charging to approx. 62 miles - well short of 70% of its original 102-mile range. Disappointed, I brought the car in to have the battery replaced. At the dealer (Glendale Nissan) I was told, "OK, we need to update the car's operating system anyway. Leave it here, we'll check it out."

When I went back to pick it up, the service consultant told me, "There are still 9 bars on the dash displaying battery capacity. Unfortunately, you don't qualify for replacement." But worse: after a full charge the available distance displayed on the dashboard had magically increased to 72 miles. Either Nissan Service had enhanced my car's battery capacity, or the software "update" had tweaked the car's operating system, Volkswagen-style, to show more range than was actually available!

After purchasing the Leaf Spy app (which plugs directly into the car's maintenance port) I discovered the car had 64.8% of battery capacity remaining (182 GIDs). So I went back to Nissan Service and showed them their bar display was wrong - remaining capacity was well below 70% - and demanded the new $5,500 battery to which I was entitled. "But it's not below 9 bars," I was told. So I demanded to talk to the Service Manager. "But it's not below 9 bars," he said.

In two consecutive calls to Nissan America Customer Service I tried to explain. "Because your 'bars' don't correspond to any physical property they're useless to consumers for evaluation purposes," I said. "I purchased the car based on the battery's capacity not falling 'below approximately 70%' of original capacity." Both times I was told, "But it's not below 9 bars." Despite my original enthusiasm for the LEAF (and reading comments of others with the same experience), I'm entirely turned off by Nissan's obvious deception and refusal to abide by the terms of their warranty. I would never consider buying another LEAF, and encourage others to look at the numerous other options available. :(

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Leaf?

Original review: June 21, 2018

We wanted an affordable all electric car and the used Leaf was perfect. It is compact, easy to drive, nice looking. This car was the best value we found in electric vehicles and it's a great little car. The range is enough for my husband's daily commute and it drives very smoothly. And having solar panels, it is practically free to drive. I like how it handles and I like the Bluetooth connectivity to my phone. It would be awesome to have even more range but that just gets more expensive. Right now the range is ideally 80 miles or so but that is significantly impacted by the weather. If you turn the car's heat on you'll lose about 20 miles of range. Other than that, very happy with this car.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Was forced to pay $200 for an updated telecommunication module on my 2014 Nissan Leaf. The new module drains 12v battery. Nissan says they know about problem but can't help me. So I paid for nothing. Have to disable in order to not have my car's battery go dead. The safest distance I can drive on one charge is 65 miles before battery goes dead. It's rated for 90. The car has depreciated 9000 every year I have had it. Had it appraised to sell and they would only give me 9000 for it. It has 20K miles on it! I own two Nissans but will never buy another after being swindled and ignored.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I leased Nissan Leaf for 3 years. I returned it last April. Of course, I didn't pay for DMV renewal for this year. Now I received "notice of delinquent renewal" from DMV. Of course, I believed Nissan would take care of ownership right after I returned the car. DMV should know I don't own the car anymore!! So I called Nissan. Every time I called, they said "we don't handle the issue in my department." I called 3 different numbers they gave me each time I called. And they are rude! I can imagine their grouchy faces.

Finally I reached a right department called "Electric customer support" and told about the bill from DMV. The man who talked me was rude too! He said, "ok, I will send a letter to DMV that you are no longer owner of the car. They will change the status within 2 weeks." No apologies, nothing... I asked "so you haven't sent any letters to DMV regarding the ownership of the car?" He said, "you don't know anything! We have a lots of cars to handle every day!" I feel like what???

It's been 2 months... 2 months!! And I asked if I can have a letter that you sent DMV a change of ownership letter. And he said "oh no, we can't do that. I took care of it already, Ok?" Then "bye" he hung up. So how do I know if they change the status? Do I have to call DMV to see if they remove Nissan from my account??? I liked Nissan Leaf a lot, but I will never buy Nissan cars anymore so that I don't need to deal with these rude people. By the way I own Honda and Audi. These customer services are not like Nissan. I can feel they care!

Original review: May 5, 2017

Called Nissan Customer service as my 2012 Leaf SL model with less than 26,300 miles (less than 50% of the warranty 60,000 miles) does not provide even 55 miles of driving range out of 110 (when new). I no longer can use the vehicle for commuting to work due to limited range. Only driving now to the local grocery store and local area chores due to limited range. Battery still says nine bars out of twelve (twelve cells with one bar per cell). The warranty is 60 months or 8 bars which the 60 months is up this month (May 2017). Had I been able to drive the car normally to work the battery would have been to 8 bars (or eight cells) by now.

Initial contact with Nissan was very positive until I get a call back from "Leaf special customer services" (Chris at ext. **) who says, "Sorry, but you are already out of warranty in April 2017" (60 months). I was not even delivered the vehicle until May 2012 but he insisted 60 months starts when they ship the vehicle, not on delivery. The battery has not even come close to performing as advertised and cannot be driven 50% of the design miles (110 miles) but Chris says that is "Nissan policy" and "Nissan makes no exceptions".

I said I have read of several exceptions specifically for situations like mine as a disabled vet who no longer can even use the vehicle to drive to work because of the limited round-trip available miles is insufficient before recharge. He said those exceptions are not true and were never granted by Nissan. I found his harsh point of view not very credible. I asked to speak to a supervisor which he claimed would say the exact same thing and resisted letting me talk to anyone else.

The driving distance was not a problem last year when I was at 21,000 miles but the battery dropped 30 miles in range over the last six month. The battery is obviously failing but barely above the eight bars (at which time they say they would have replaced the battery if not already past 60 months) but I cannot use the vehicle normally so the 60 months will elapse before the battery goes to 8 bars. Plus Chris claims Nissan started the 60 months three weeks early and that I am already out of luck. The real kicker is I received an Email today from the dealership where the vehicle was purchased congratulating me on coming up on my five year anniversary (60 months) in a week this May 2017 and would I like to buy a new one!!!

Chris said to go ahead and write a poor review as it will not make any difference on Nissan. I said I would do that and include his name and extension so others can voice to him how Nissan not only does a poor job in their engineering but then fail to even back their customers who trusted them to stand by their product if it does not perform. Having a policy that reduces the 60 months to less than 60 months and then not considering less than 24,300 miles out of 60,000 miles a failure to perform as specified is a very sad commentary on what a potential customer can expect from Nissan. Call Chris at 800-6477261 #7 and ask for ext ** and share what you think about how Nissan backs their products (such as Leaf batteries) and takes care of their customers (like a Vet like me).

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

It got me where I wanted to go and was popular especially with my friends but I felt it should have had more to offer to me. For example the amount of gas I had to buy for it was a little more than I had to with my previous car. The car itself was very luxurious and came with many different comforts and features such as four-wheel drive and advanced and comfortable seating. The car was able to do quick turns and adapt. The car was very sleek and smooth and had enough space to carry multiple passengers. The only critique I had was that it looked more like a van than an actual sedan. The car was able to go on for long periods of time. As far as durability I never got into any accidents however the car never got scratched and it never lost its shine.

Nissan Leaf Company Information