2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.55/5

The Nissan Leaf is an all-electric car that debuted in 2010. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Nissan Leaf Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Leaf?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Leaf?

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

For a person with short commutes it's a perfect solution to never Visit a gas station. Low cost charging at home. Free charging at Nissan dealers. Easy and low cost dealer maintenance. Most states have better incentives than VA but still worth it.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Fully electric car, very well made. Gives 144 miles on a full charge. Has lots of safety features, like breaking when it senses the front of the car is too near an object. Comfortable, big hatch back. Saves quite a bit in comparison to buying gas for our old car. We are delighted with the Nissan Leaf!

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

The battery of my 2018 Leaf SV died at 8000 miles and the dealer told me that it will take at least 3 weeks to repair it. I think Nissan should replace the old battery with a new one instead of repairing the old battery because the repair takes too long. In general, I am very happy with my Nissan Leaf, but I am disappointed that it take so long for Nissan to fix the problem and hope that the battery doesn’t die again.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I am leasing a 2018 Nissan Leaf SV which I thought would be a reliable vehicle but in the less than one year that I’ve had the car, the car has been subject to a voluntary recall for the battery bracket and is throwing itself in the park when I’m in drive, flashing the in tear your lights when I’m driving on freeways, and indicating that the door is open when it is not. When I complain to customer service and ask for some kind of reset or option to take the lift to a local dealer or mechanic since we have no Nissan dealerships within 1000 miles, the agent named Brian started to shout at me and tell me that would invalidate the warranty. When I asked them what Nissan could do to make this vehicle work safely, he said “there is nothing Nissan can do.“ What the hell.

Original review: May 4, 2019

There is a known deterioration issue with the battery (main component - roughly $10K to replace) on this vehicle in hot weather states. It appears Nissan has been aware of the problem since before we bought the car in 2015 (I am 2nd owner). The vehicle is all electric and would otherwise be an amazing little car. I bought my first Nissan in 1986 and have had at least one in the family since. Until this experience I would have been a loyal Nissan enthusiast forever.

Unfortunately, I was dealing with a major health concern when the battery on our car began displaying the symptoms of the issue. The car was still under warranty at the time but I was unable to deal with it. One of my sons contacted a dealership about it but by the time I was able to actually get the car to the dealer's service department it was a couple of weeks out of warranty. The dealership told me at the time that I was wasting my time trying to get Nissan to consider an exception but at the time I still believed they would do the right thing.

Now, two years, four escalation attempts and a state attorney general complaint later, I am resigned to the fact that they won't. The car barely has 25,000 miles on it and is nearly useless. Resale value is less than half of the $10K I paid for it and frankly, spending that same amount to put a new battery in it seems ridiculous.

So much for brand owner loyalty. I not only will never buy another Nissan product myself, I doubt that anyone I know ever will either. Here's hoping anyone who reads this will heed the warning and avoid them as well.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I went to a Nissan dealership. I was shown a Nissan Leaf 2012 with 84 miles of range. It was listed Certified Pre-Owned, 17,000 miles. I bought the car expecting roughly 84 miles of range and good quality. I'm only able to get 50 miles at best out of the car. I attempted to return it in the first week and lease or buy another car. They refused to take the car back. They took the car in for a factory recall and to check the Lithium Ion battery. Nissan claims the battery is fine with 11 bars and 82 miles of range. I'm unable to get 50 miles without it going into low battery mode. I'm extremely upset at Woodfield Nissan Dealership, in IL.

I'm also upset with Nissan USA as they've been more defensive than helpful. I paid over the car's value due to the range I expected and a quality vehicle. However what I got was a $12,000 brick in my driveway. Which had a factory recall based around safety issues the dealership never disclosed to me. I had to replace the 12 volt battery in the first 2 months of driving it. The worse thing about it is that I can't drive my "new" car to work in the snow because of the actual range the car gets as opposed to the range Nissan claims it gets.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I bought the Leaf to commute from home to college and an electric made sense. The car was used and as I drove it the battery lost more and more cells! It was 33,000 miles on it and over the warranty by less than a year. After calling the Nissan Leaf Dept and talking to a rude lady and then a guy who was not rude but both had no intention of helping in any way! At least now I have a Nissan piece of ** with only 33,000 miles on it and a loan on it and a Company that does not stand behind its product. Yes they have a "customer service" dept but that's just people answering the phone with no authority to help in any way. All in all... The worst experience, my first experience in buying a car! No one should buy a Nissan!

Original review: July 1, 2018

I purchased a new, June ‘15 UK version of the 30kwh model of Nissan Leaf in Sri Lanka on the 1st Jan ‘16. Dealer said it was capable of 280 kms on a single charge. OAT of 32c gave only 220 kms! 18 months later it’s showing just 130 kms on an overnight charge but does even less. Done only 8000 kms!! Extremely unhappy as there’s no help from the Nissan agents and I won’t be recommending this model or its future models to anyone as my confidence in Nissan is shattered. Would like Nissan to revert (if that’s not too tough for them).

Original review: June 30, 2018

When I bought my LEAF in 2011, I fell in love with it. Great pickup, almost zero maintenance. Unsuitable for long trips, but great for errands around town. And with a 5-year warranty on the battery maintaining "approximately 70% of battery capacity", I should be covered, right? Wrong. As my car approached the 5-year expiration date, with 22,000 miles on the odometer, the car was charging to approx. 62 miles - well short of 70% of its original 102-mile range. Disappointed, I brought the car in to have the battery replaced. At the dealer (Glendale Nissan) I was told, "OK, we need to update the car's operating system anyway. Leave it here, we'll check it out."

When I went back to pick it up, the service consultant told me, "There are still 9 bars on the dash displaying battery capacity. Unfortunately, you don't qualify for replacement." But worse: after a full charge the available distance displayed on the dashboard had magically increased to 72 miles. Either Nissan Service had enhanced my car's battery capacity, or the software "update" had tweaked the car's operating system, Volkswagen-style, to show more range than was actually available!

After purchasing the Leaf Spy app (which plugs directly into the car's maintenance port) I discovered the car had 64.8% of battery capacity remaining (182 GIDs). So I went back to Nissan Service and showed them their bar display was wrong - remaining capacity was well below 70% - and demanded the new $5,500 battery to which I was entitled. "But it's not below 9 bars," I was told. So I demanded to talk to the Service Manager. "But it's not below 9 bars," he said.

In two consecutive calls to Nissan America Customer Service I tried to explain. "Because your 'bars' don't correspond to any physical property they're useless to consumers for evaluation purposes," I said. "I purchased the car based on the battery's capacity not falling 'below approximately 70%' of original capacity." Both times I was told, "But it's not below 9 bars." Despite my original enthusiasm for the LEAF (and reading comments of others with the same experience), I'm entirely turned off by Nissan's obvious deception and refusal to abide by the terms of their warranty. I would never consider buying another LEAF, and encourage others to look at the numerous other options available. :(

Original review: June 21, 2018

We wanted an affordable all electric car and the used Leaf was perfect. It is compact, easy to drive, nice looking. This car was the best value we found in electric vehicles and it's a great little car. The range is enough for my husband's daily commute and it drives very smoothly. And having solar panels, it is practically free to drive. I like how it handles and I like the Bluetooth connectivity to my phone. It would be awesome to have even more range but that just gets more expensive. Right now the range is ideally 80 miles or so but that is significantly impacted by the weather. If you turn the car's heat on you'll lose about 20 miles of range. Other than that, very happy with this car.

Nissan Leaf Company Information