2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

4.0/5 (362 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Nissan Leaf

The Nissan Leaf is an all-electric car that debuted in 2010. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Nissan Leaf Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Leaf?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Leaf?

Original review: March 3, 2021

Purchased with 7000 miles on it Dec of 2012. Had about 70 miles range driving in Florida. Now has 80000 miles had the battery repaired under warranty in 2016. It has iffy 50 miles range. Really have to observe speed and estimated range. According to reviews, it appears the 2019 may be a problem for owners. After reading the reviews would not buy another electric vehicle from Nissan. If the Chevy bolt finally resolves their battery issues will probably buy it in a couple of years if my Nissan retains the current 50 mile range. Will buy Chevy bolt sooner if range falls below 40. Still enjoyed 8 years of $1 cost for every 30 miles plus free charging at Nissan with coffee and clean restrooms too.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

After less than 15,000 miles the tires on my 2019 Nissan Leaf must be replaced. This is ridiculous. The service people at a dealer told me that they put cheap tires on the new cars. I will not buy another Nissan if this is what they are doing to their customers.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

For a person with short commutes it's a perfect solution to never Visit a gas station. Low cost charging at home. Free charging at Nissan dealers. Easy and low cost dealer maintenance. Most states have better incentives than VA but still worth it.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

Fully electric car, very well made. Gives 144 miles on a full charge. Has lots of safety features, like breaking when it senses the front of the car is too near an object. Comfortable, big hatch back. Saves quite a bit in comparison to buying gas for our old car. We are delighted with the Nissan Leaf!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I am leasing a 2018 Nissan Leaf SV which I thought would be a reliable vehicle but in the less than one year that I’ve had the car, the car has been subject to a voluntary recall for the battery bracket and is throwing itself in the park when I’m in drive, flashing the in tear your lights when I’m driving on freeways, and indicating that the door is open when it is not. When I complain to customer service and ask for some kind of reset or option to take the lift to a local dealer or mechanic since we have no Nissan dealerships within 1000 miles, the agent named Brian started to shout at me and tell me that would invalidate the warranty. When I asked them what Nissan could do to make this vehicle work safely, he said “there is nothing Nissan can do.“ What the hell.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

The battery of my 2018 Leaf SV died at 8000 miles and the dealer told me that it will take at least 3 weeks to repair it. I think Nissan should replace the old battery with a new one instead of repairing the old battery because the repair takes too long. In general, I am very happy with my Nissan Leaf, but I am disappointed that it take so long for Nissan to fix the problem and hope that the battery doesn’t die again.

Original review: May 4, 2019

There is a known deterioration issue with the battery (main component - roughly $10K to replace) on this vehicle in hot weather states. It appears Nissan has been aware of the problem since before we bought the car in 2015 (I am 2nd owner). The vehicle is all electric and would otherwise be an amazing little car. I bought my first Nissan in 1986 and have had at least one in the family since. Until this experience I would have been a loyal Nissan enthusiast forever.

Unfortunately, I was dealing with a major health concern when the battery on our car began displaying the symptoms of the issue. The car was still under warranty at the time but I was unable to deal with it. One of my sons contacted a dealership about it but by the time I was able to actually get the car to the dealer's service department it was a couple of weeks out of warranty. The dealership told me at the time that I was wasting my time trying to get Nissan to consider an exception but at the time I still believed they would do the right thing.

Now, two years, four escalation attempts and a state attorney general complaint later, I am resigned to the fact that they won't. The car barely has 25,000 miles on it and is nearly useless. Resale value is less than half of the $10K I paid for it and frankly, spending that same amount to put a new battery in it seems ridiculous.

So much for brand owner loyalty. I not only will never buy another Nissan product myself, I doubt that anyone I know ever will either. Here's hoping anyone who reads this will heed the warning and avoid them as well.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I went to a Nissan dealership. I was shown a Nissan Leaf 2012 with 84 miles of range. It was listed Certified Pre-Owned, 17,000 miles. I bought the car expecting roughly 84 miles of range and good quality. I'm only able to get 50 miles at best out of the car. I attempted to return it in the first week and lease or buy another car. They refused to take the car back. They took the car in for a factory recall and to check the Lithium Ion battery. Nissan claims the battery is fine with 11 bars and 82 miles of range. I'm unable to get 50 miles without it going into low battery mode. I'm extremely upset at Woodfield Nissan Dealership, in IL.

I'm also upset with Nissan USA as they've been more defensive than helpful. I paid over the car's value due to the range I expected and a quality vehicle. However what I got was a $12,000 brick in my driveway. Which had a factory recall based around safety issues the dealership never disclosed to me. I had to replace the 12 volt battery in the first 2 months of driving it. The worse thing about it is that I can't drive my "new" car to work in the snow because of the actual range the car gets as opposed to the range Nissan claims it gets.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I bought the Leaf to commute from home to college and an electric made sense. The car was used and as I drove it the battery lost more and more cells! It was 33,000 miles on it and over the warranty by less than a year. After calling the Nissan Leaf Dept and talking to a rude lady and then a guy who was not rude but both had no intention of helping in any way! At least now I have a Nissan piece of ** with only 33,000 miles on it and a loan on it and a Company that does not stand behind its product. Yes they have a "customer service" dept but that's just people answering the phone with no authority to help in any way. All in all... The worst experience, my first experience in buying a car! No one should buy a Nissan!

Original review: July 1, 2018

I purchased a new, June ‘15 UK version of the 30kwh model of Nissan Leaf in Sri Lanka on the 1st Jan ‘16. Dealer said it was capable of 280 kms on a single charge. OAT of 32c gave only 220 kms! 18 months later it’s showing just 130 kms on an overnight charge but does even less. Done only 8000 kms!! Extremely unhappy as there’s no help from the Nissan agents and I won’t be recommending this model or its future models to anyone as my confidence in Nissan is shattered. Would like Nissan to revert (if that’s not too tough for them).

Nissan Leaf Company Information