2.34/5

coachmenrv.com

122 Coachmen RV Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I purchased a 2018 Coachmen Orion and it has been the worst thing I have ever bought. Coachmen does NOT have any people working there that know what they are doing. The guys and girls who put this thing together should be fired and the person in charge of Quality Control does NOT know what that means. The dealer I got it from was the worst place I have ever seen. The guy doing the non demo was too concerned about covering his lies. Told me lights were working when they were never hooked up, never went over the demo due to incompetence. I would NEVER recommend the dealer out of Atlanta GA. Stay far away from any dealers there unless you happen to live next door. SLRV is a disgrace and Coachmen is even worst. Don't buy any Coachmen products. They are made like a toy.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

This 2018 Coachmen Orion is very cheaply made. Every item that’s plastic is of poor quality and cracks and breaks. Roof vent covers made out of thin white plastic that cracks instantly. Drawer latches made from cheap black plastic break instantly. Bottom of TV over cap installed so low that fake wood trim blocks remote from working. Cheap plastic clips missing from shower and unavailable on permanent back order. Plastic splines on handles for recliner chairs round-off strip out after the first use or two. Sewer drain hose next to impossible to connect due to RV metal trim molding blocking and encroaching on access. Poor quality seals on water pump that can flood your unit, i.e. water damage. Need I go on. They couldn’t even drill the holes for the tag plate level — it’s embarrassing driving around with one hole 2 inches lower than the other. What a disgrace.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Purchased Coachmen Catalina February 2017. Absolutely nothing but problems requiring extensive repairs since day one. The unit has literally been in the shop for repairs for months at the time. Obvious craftsmanship issues and blatant quality control issues. And to add insult to injury, Coachmen refuses to extend structural warranty, even though the warranty expires in 10 days and the unit currently sits in the shop with another structural issue. This purchase has been the absolute worst of my entire life. And Coachmen's response to manufacturing and selling this absolute lemon has been appalling.

I understand that there are lemons of every make and model, but Coachmen's lack of concern is bewildering. If you buy a Coachmen product and don't have issues, you'll have a pleasant experience. BEWARE: If you have buy Coachmen and have major quality control issues, as we did and continue to have, your dealership might do all that they can, but do not expect Coachmen to stand behind its product. Coachmen certainly is not the company that it once was. I will never purchase Coachmen again.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

Our 2017-1/2 Coachmen Mirada 35BH is the 2nd motorhome we've owned and the first totally new one… Back in 1993, we bought a used Fleetwood Bounder with 100,000 miles on it and owned it for 10-years. Overall, it was a good experience, but I did learn that it is necessary to stay on top of issues and be willing to do some DIY work. The chassis was typical Chevy P30 junk, but we knew that going in. I worked with it and around it. However, the old iron 454 truck engine was extremely durable. I was told that the truck engine version had an extra main bearing compared to the car engine. I don’t know for sure, but it just ran and ran. A for speed, it was fine on level road. However, being carbureted, mated to a 3-speed tranny and encumbered with newfangled smog devices from the late 1980's, it was a DOG on hills! It was a friendly dog - but pitifully slow. It would slow down even if you hinted that a hill might be nearby. But that was then.

This is now: As much as we'd have loved a great quality Diesel Pusher, we could not afford it - not even if it was late model used one. Since all of the new and late-model gas coaches these days are built on a Ford Chassis using a V10 engine, it made that choice easy. Therefore, the final decision came down to the coach brand and coach layout. Based on our research, EVERY new coach in the low $100,000's, regardless of brand or model, has sketchy reviews. They are all just slapped together. The materials are cheap and the assembly quality is luck of the draw. Knowing that, I will not knock our Mirada 35BH much. I actually really love the Ford V10 mated to the new 6-speed tranny. It's a very eager engine. Noisy, yes, but that is life with any front engine rig. My Bounder was that way, too. But I digress…

Having purchased our 2017-1/2 rig in late 2016, we’ve had it nearly 2 years already. We’ve gone on numerous short trips and three really long trips. We have almost 15,000 miles on it now. That means that the coach, itself, it out of warranty. I had chosen not to purchase the ridiculously priced extended warranty. We’ve had minor problems. None of those were due to shoddy workmanship. All of them have been due to just plain cheap materials. For example, the queen bed frame in back split out a corner during the first year. Frankly, I’m surprised that it lasted as long as it did. It’s a horrible design held together with glorified cardboard masquerading as wood paneling. I could have taken the rig in for warranty repair, but I knew I could do a better job myself, and do it much faster. I used extra wood, glue and screws to beef up the entire bed frame. Now I’m much happier with it.

Our model is a bunk-house with twin bunk beds down one side. They are covered by folding doors held in place, when shut, with magnets. They are excellent magnets! They are so good, in fact, that when pulling the doors open one time, the wood gave way before the magnet did. Suddenly, there was a 16-inch long vertically split in the door frame. Once again, I chose to forego the warranty and fix it myself. With a bit of wood glue and a couple of inexpensive metal straps, I beefed up the back of the door frame behind the crack. You can’t even tell it’s there now AND the door opens before breaking! BONUS! While I was at it, I added some reinforcement near the other magnetic points on the structure.

One of the shower door retainers popped off. Turns out it was just glued on. I re-glued it, but added a screw. That won’t be an issue again. One of the kitchen drawers fell off its track. OK, to be more accurate, the track became detached from the structure and took that side of the drawer with it. Annoying, but easy to fix. As with the other repairs, a bit of good quality glue and some well-placed screws made it a problem that will NOT recur. There were a couple other minor issues that I’ve already forgotten about. They were easy to fix and easy to forget about. Everything that I bought the motorhome to do, it does well. I can’t complain. Well, I can, but I won’t. It’s not worth the brain cells that would have to be devoted to the effort.

So, you see where I’m going with this? You have to invest a bit of time, a small amount of money and a bit of elbow grease to keep from going bonkers with your RV. Doing that will take a HUGE burden off of you because it will be done quickly and you know it will be done RIGHT! I don’t care what brand or model you buy, this is the key to happy RV motoring! If you are not comfortable doing this, then I predict that you will never be a happy motorhome owner.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Not only dissatisfied but disgusted by the quality. This RV is an expensive piece of JUNK. Our seats started to deteriorate the first day we got it. After only 4 RV trips we literally have no choice to it pay for seat replacements. The pipes under the sink broke, the bunk broke after 3 uses, the electrical outlets in the master stopped working, the AC has had to be repaired 4 times. We have put a total of 8000 miles on our RV. Don’t buy a Coachmen. The dealer we went to is completely incompetent and when we take our RV in for repairs they take more than one month to repair anything then they bless us with the BILL that we have to pay.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coachmen RV?

Original review: July 18, 2018

2018 Coachmen Chapparel - Poor interior work. Did walk thru with Dealership. Bolts were not in place on sofa. Pull out was to be done before delivery not done. One screw missing on table bolted to floor and one loose. Freshwater cap so loose lost all my fresh water on our first outing to the river. Awning didn't work, wire was off in panel. Found screw and washer in master bedroom. Floor molding fell off in kids bunkhouse. Edges around table are pointy and not much padding to speak of. Looks like padding will need replacing soon. Just poor lack of detail workmanship of the interior. GFI cheap click off if you try to use outlet in kitchen.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Coachmen had the best options for space and comfort plus tech. It is important for space and function with my RV with technology because my family and I need space in our RV. Family of 6 and 2 cats is a lot for an RV.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Coachmen RVs are high quality in craftsmanship and beauty compared to some manufacturers. Their prices are wide ranging and very reasonable considering their long heritage as an RV manufacturer. I like the color selections they use for the interior. They also have well appointed layouts for their RVs. They are all over the country and easy to reach for service. I also like the customer representatives, they are always professional. The only thing would be is some of the color schemes are not available in all lengths of their RV line. But they have more to like than most RV manufacturers.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Coachmen RV is an awesome product to buy. Good quality and a very good price too. I love the product. It's a nice thing to have and has a lot of room too for your belongings. The manufacture is wonderful. Go to the right store to purchase it.

Original review: May 30, 2018

They're good quality stuff, built well and with good components and hold up good and travel good along with the name reminiscing memories of fun times camping at spectacular places. I hope they'd offer more add-ons as standards though and start including solar and batteries and offer all solar capable or 50 amp plug in, offer a fifth wheel with 2 access solar panels and batteries ready to be off grid. Less troubles than others but basics good though and should keep up the good work and always go with how they're doing as it's working out well for them.

Coachmen RV Company Information