2.37/5

coachmenrv.com

119 Coachmen RV Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 25, 2018

Coachmen RV manufactures several different types of RV campers. Coachmen have some of the best prices on RVs and camper models. We have used Coachmen in the past and have been satisfied with their products. The coachmen RVs and campers have some of the best designed RVs and campers.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Coachmen is a brand I trust - in business for over 50 years. Provides adventure, freedom, flexibility, reliability, safety & security. I like the Coachmen RV exactly how it is. It has always been a pleasurable experience in camping and look forward to going every weekend. My family has always had a Coachmen for years. I would never shop for anything else.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I like the strong sturdy RV that is reliable and has the torque of a engine that can flow and get higher in the hills of a mountains. I truly like the toughness of the RV that can override on any surface whatsoever though rough and smooth floors. It has to be made from the United States or Japanese cause it has to be great technology source for me to trust them more and more. I want the best and the only RV manufacturer from a well known brand cause I want the best greatest performing engine and torque of an RV. I want everything from great styling to interior of the RV and also a nice comfort and gas mileage of the RV. If it is a independent source brand I have to think about it for sure cause it can probably not last that long.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Brand new RV and the vent cover for the bathroom was already baked & brittle! Continued problems with plumbing and water damage. The rear cargo hatch, the finger lock does not even engage! The generator has 1000 hours on it, yet brand new? Emailed their support and their support told me to take the thing back to the dealer. Hey stupid! It is a motorhome, and I'm not near where I bought it! The sink spout and handles are cheesy plastic. The toilet leaked and had to fix it. The water heater leaked and had to fix it.

The dealer seemed to know his head from the behind for my solar and discovered, nope, they didn't. Running the microwave for 30 seconds drains the battery. So now I have to redesign the whole thing, which defeats the whole purpose of the dealer to install. Of course, "go power" should be smart enough to pull only the power it needs to supplement the battery/solar system while plugged in, but that is not coachmen's fault. Next time, I will buy a winny!

Original review: May 8, 2018

There are many things to like about it. The driving is really nice and the room in the back has enough room. The bed is nice the fridge is awesome. Plus the bathroom is enough for you to be able to deal with and the seating is just right. The price was out of this world crazy but that is for all RVs. The overall experience I had was excellent. I would deal with them guys any day of the week. They were amazing with getting me into what I wanted to get into and they were nice and humble with every process of the deal.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Coachmen RV?

Original review: May 6, 2018

Great RV. It had great reviews, trustworthy company. They were great to deal with and we were very impressed by them. Other companies were rude to talk to or short with us. We had a very good experience with this company and had no issues whatsoever.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I have owned my Coachmen RV for the last 5 years and it's perfect, never had any issues and customer support couldn't be better. The thing I like most is the spaciousness of it. I never have to walk around someone to get where I'm going. The slide-outs on my RV are done very well. My overall experience with Coachmen outweighs the experience of every other RV manufacturer out there. Very friendly salesman and very nice customer support.

Original review: May 4, 2018

We love our coach and every one that saw it want to buy one. It look really great and it had a great paint job on the outside. We had a great kitchen, good beds, and refrigerator. We had a great outdoor space and kitchen space and great storage. Bathroom was good but it would have been better if we had two. We got great gas mileage and it was easy to drive and it was great to tailgate at our football games. We love the big chairs in front. It was comfortable to be sitting a long time.

However, the RV was not design very good. We also wanted bigger kitchen table and a microwave oven. So, make sure you make a list of must haves like tv outside so you can watch all the games, outdoor space, a big kitchen table, a microwave oven, 2 bathrooms, a sink and a fridge outside, and to tailgate. Also, how many sleeping. It's like buying a house. Nevertheless, we got a great deal on the Coachmen RV, below manufacture sale price. People would ask us about how much we paid for it and they want to see the inside of it. All in all we were very happy and proud to have own it. It has brought the family a lot closer together.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I have bought a 2014 Thor Hurricane from Motor Home Spec, and a 2018 Coachmen Lep (3111FS) from the same dealership, and I can say do not buy from these people. They say the are the biggest in the world maybe but for service they are not, as they lie to you and don't do any warranty work. On my 2018 Coachmen the slide motor went out, the washer did not work, the water heater did not work, the floor leaks, and these are some of the things they tell me. I had put too much weight on my slide and burned out my motor for which I had to take to another dealer to get fixed.

The second was the washer as I bought this motorhome in Dec 2017, and we took a trip in it and lived in it but when we went to use the washer, water went everywhere as it had a frozen water inlet valve broken now. This is in the inside of the motorhome where the temp was 74 degrees, and could not freeze but they told me I did not winterization my motorhome. I said, "How do you do that when you live in it." I could go on and on but don't buy from them as they only want your money and could care less about you. As for water on the floor poor workmanship in cheap plywood floors, you don't get any calls from them and when you do set up an appointment and when you show up they tell you it will take another three weeks to get started. So you wait for 3 weeks to get a appointment and then another 3 weeks before they start work on it and then take a month to repair nothing.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Some things I really like about Coachmen is their salespeople's ability to persuade me into buying anything. They could easily persuade me into buying an old, smelly shoe if they wanted to. They're just that good. They are absolutely perfect. Overall, my experience with Coachmen was flawless. Couldn't have asked for a better travel trailer or for a better brand.

Original review: April 28, 2018

Did a lot of online research. Compared a lot of brands, used Google searches and visited specific websites to read consumer reviews, compare quality and specifications and determine which one was right for me. Coachmen has great customer service and they're proud of their products and guarantee them. You really feel like they've put a lot of time and effort into perfecting it, giving you value, and that you're getting a high quality vehicle.

Original review: April 27, 2018

The Coachmen RV is a quality brand name, but yet not too expensive. They hold up well and also have a good resale value, which is important to me. In general, I think all manufacturers need to branch out. All RVs kind of look the same and have the same features. They need to develop something that will stand out. I chose this manufacturer due to their good reputation and everything has worked as it was supposed to. I have gotten many compliments on our RV.

Original review: April 26, 2018

I usually dread having to buy anything like RVs and automobile because I know very little about it and wonder if I am getting ripped off. But this time I came away feeling like I got a good deal and a lot more informed than when I first starting looking for an RV to purchase. I like that they have many RVs to choose from and that the salespeople are incredibly helpful but not pressuring and were more than willing to answer any questions that I had. I like all the types of RVs and I like the fact that the RVs are affordable and I was able to find exactly what I wanted at a reasonable price.

Original review: April 13, 2018

My $100K 2013 Coachman Pursuit - I can't express my hatred for this RV enough, it is so poorly made, it's like buying a half million dollar house in Hawaii!! Cheap parts, poor workmanship and still have not been on a trip without something needing fixed and this is all at under $6K miles. My toilet has yet to go a trip w/out clogging, the poor design causes it to clog every flipping trip, so annoying, and yes this includes the proper toilet paper and no #2's in toilet at all!!! I have yet to have a trip w/ constant hot water, a kitchen drawer that doesn't come out on every turn. I at this point would take a huge loss just to get rid of this piece of junk on wheels. This RV has been in to be fixed 6 times! I just ask do your research and test everything out before buying a POS like this one.

Original review: April 3, 2018

2014 M331-MKS Coachmen Chaparral Signature 5ver: After having our Coachmen Chaparral 5th wheel for a while now I would like to review the good and bad that we have found in the 5th Wheel. First off it must be understood that a 5th Wheel is the sum of parts from several manufacturers install on a manufacturer's base system. Some complaints are with the components and the only blame of Coachmen's is they didn't find a better Quality system to install on their unit.

Now for the bad. The awnings systems installed on most mid range RV will not stand up to the wind force that can be produced by an asthmatic field mouse blowing through a straw when in the open position and they can easily blow off the RV when in the retracted position at highway speeds. After having our awning fold up like a mangled pile of pickup sticks we replaced it with a 14 foot patio umbrella and stand. I like it better than an awning. The wife would like it in addition to the awning. The choice is yours. The next bad is the paint system used on the nose cone of the RV. I believe in is integrated into the fiberglass and they have a tendency to fade. We have clayed bar the cap once a year ago with good results but it is fading again. I will use a top quality automotive wax after bringing back the shine this time to see if we can get a longer period without fading.

Bad number three, the plumbing fixtures. Fixtures in the restroom are plastic junk. The faucet it the show cracked above the mixing portion of the valve which caused a bad leak when the shower was on. The water ran down the inside of the interior wall and flooded the storage bay. We use covered bins in the storage locker so clean up wasn't too bad and everything dried up without any mold. The Fourth Bad - The vinyl floor is thin and of bad quality. The slides will make a two inch cut into the vinyl. I epoxied the area but every time I walk on it barefooted I remember the cheapness of products installed in RVs. Number 5 of the bad, is the China Bomb tires still installed on many RV's. I don't care if I had to pay $200 at the time of purchase to have American made quality tires installed.

These are the basic list of bad we have found. It also should be noted that the RV is built to a price point and better interior paneling is available but to install it would cost much more so I can easily live with what is used. I also wish the microwave mounting area was large enough to install a convection microwave but it isn't an option.

Now a few of the really good items. Number one, the 90 degree turning radius nose cone complete with bullseye hookup light. We haven't had to use our sliding hitch once. We tow with a Dodge Megacab so the bed is shorter than a true long bed. With an addition of a round dot piece of tape on the back window of the truck sighting in when hooking up is a breeze. Good number two - Azdel sealed wall system. the walls do away with delamination. They are very strong and very light. I give them an A plus rating. Good number Three - Opposable rear super slides. This make the 5th wheel feel so very roomy and if you are going to have slides isn't that why? Number four of the good - The amount of interior light fixtures. Because of the dark wood grain interior the lights brighten up the interior perfectly. Of course we installed LED's to let us use these lights while boondocking.

For the 5th and Final Good - The interior setup with its amount of storage and comfort. We like the private bathroom with the very large shower with seat. The under exterior storage is also great. For a 35 foot fifth wheel it feels more like a 40 foot rig. We feel that we have gotten good value for money spent on this fifth wheel and plan on keeping for many more years of enjoyment and memories.

Original review: April 2, 2018

We love our 29 foot Mirada RV but can't understand how Coachmen can include vinyl seats (captains chairs and benches) with vinyl that totally flakes off after 4.5 years. Also, the user manuals are of little help since they are generic and not model/year specific.

Original review: March 27, 2018

They are very, very reputable. The coach is very durable with quality items and products. They have great amenities. You can not go wrong with them. Absolutely the best there is. I have never been stuck from breakdowns or mechanical failure.

Original review: March 25, 2018

Good RVs are the way to go when you like to travel places. It wouldn't feel like you left home. Coachmen RV is very good to drive with on the road. It'll get us from point A to B. My great uncle who passed away had one and he basically would live in it. The RV was a Chevy Astro. One of a kind built in tv for the road. It was very comfortable. I would buy one for future reference. It'll bring back so much memories of me and my great uncle.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I love RVing. It's a part of my life and a very big part of who I am. I chose Coachmen RV over all others because, even given their relatively high prices, they are known for providing high end, excellent quality products. I remember my great great grandfather using this company and he swore by them so I guess that I can do the exact same thing with no complaints. This company is great for me. I like their diversity of available RVing products. They do not force me to purchase any one specific type of RV but instead allow me to customize my appearance on the road by offering a very wide selection of colors and types. The only thing that even remotely comes close to a complaint, and a minor one at that, is their prices. I usually can't afford to go camping or on a road trip after purchasing from them.

Original review: March 22, 2018

We were personally recommended to go see them. It was close by and had the best online reviews. They were also having a sale at the time so it was very good timing. The company is innovative and always at the forefront of technology. They make the most of the small space of RVs, you get the most for your money, they are just absolutely great about everything they endeavor in. But they could use better interior design. They are comfortable but ugly. The color schemes and upholstery is outdated and should go in a more clean minimalist modern design.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I have been referred many times to Coachmen RV by other owners and always been told this is the best, the most traditional and reliable manufacturer in the business out there. I know others who also have this product and would choose no other. I would prefer better cabinets, bigger bathroom, better counter tops and windows though. But I have had nothing but good experiences with this brand and will continue to use it for now.

Original review: March 20, 2018

My husband and I plus our 2 dogs enjoyed the traveling. The 2009 Class C Leprachaun model was selected because of its unique, pleasing and classy floor plan, and the positive reputation of the Coachmen brand. It was also priced right. I don't know why it was discontinued. My friends also had a Coachmen product and were pleased with it. However the gas mileage of this RV was not very good and the interior color scheme was very bland. Furthermore, a larger refrigerator would have been nice and the curvy sofa should have been curved equally on both sides.

Original review: March 19, 2018

They have one of the largest selections of RV's that I have ever seen from RV to fifth wheel campers motor homes. If you need any parts if they don't have in stock they will the next day. The dealer plays a big role in your ownership and they always get you in on a timely manner if you need maintenance. They have a great customer service and support group. Although there are not enough of them around and you have to travel some distance to get to one from where we live.

Original review: March 18, 2018

Coachmen RV has very good value for the money, good fuel economy, great overall design features when compared to other manufacturers and fits the entire family. They are reliable and I trust them with my entire family. Very comfortable and travels nicely when compared to others I have used. However, I feel that some of the interior components such as appliances and fit and finish could be addressed a little better for a more pleasant experience. But overall I am very pleased with our experience.

Original review: March 16, 2018

My RV manufacturer is amazing quality and support for buying any type of RV and they help tremendously with supporting your decisions and budget. They keep it all in the open world of RVs and can help people and or first time buyers with their choices. My overall experiences with them is an great and they helped me in so many different ways.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I like that they offer a wide variety of vehicles/products/colors in a wide range of prices as well which appeal to both those who have a lot of money to those who are more frugal-minded. Our family chose the Coachman product because of the good service we got from the dealer as well as the excellent price we received on the product we purchased. I like the Coachman products but I would like to see a wider variety of color schemes in their products at no additional cost to the consumer.

Original review: March 12, 2018

Pay very close attention to the AXLE RATING, and quality of the ROOF EDGES. If you drive it empty, and never plan to move it much, they are good little units. IF, however, you plan to actually use it, then you best stay away from this UNDER axled, and UNDER roofed, line of RV's. I've had two with the same problems. The axle was rated for basically the EMPTY WEIGHT (put water, food, clothing, and stuff inside, and hit the road... and you've got a high chance of having problems). After fixing the axle a couple times, I upgraded it... and viola that problem ceased on that RV (sad they didn't start with a heavier duty axle to begin with). Then a couple years of traveling the USA highways and roadways, I noticed some DRY ROT and issues.

Come to find out, the 'tight rubber roof' was pretty thin, and in normal swaying down the road, it tends to 'tear' at the edges, allowing leaks you never know about until entire sections of your RV are ruined. Again, using a little thicker rubber, and changing the edge line a bit, could drastically and almost instantly solve that problem too. The shortcuts aren't good. And what you see new doesn't stay that way long if you're actually USING IT ON THE ROAD. Bent axles will cost you tires, and potentially cause accidents. Leaky roof edges, compromise entire wall sections.

But hey, the frame seems to be good. The layout wasn't bad. When they are working right, they pull easily. But if you see a used one that has experienced more than about 1,000 miles of use, have an experienced RV repair person LOOK AT IT BEFORE YOU BUY! Because failure may cost you dearly in the future. Repairing RV's is costly, and often not easy or fast. A new roof starts at about $100 - 150 per foot of your RV length minimum just to remove the old damaged one, and replace the BASIC roof materials. If there is dry rot or other damage, the cost climbs fast. (A 30 footer is 3000 - 4500 without serious underlying problems). Anyhow, Caveat emptor! Good Luck!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

In July of 2016, we traded in our old Motorhome for a 2016 Coachmen Pursuit BH 33 foot Motorhome. We took possession the next day. We had to do the walkthrough. Please note that no additional upgrade options were brought up by the salesman. Two months later, we were getting ready to go back home from the campground that we were staying in. First the electric jacks would not go up. Then the front slide wouldn't go in. We also noticed that the water tank sensor wasn't working. We called the dealer (Mid-West RV Sales, St, Louis MO) up and advised them of the problems we were having. They put a service tech on the phone and he was going to tell us how we could "rig things up" so that we could take it to them. (60 mile trip). I told them that I wasn't about to temporarily "rig" the problems. We had to take it back to them.

They sent a service tech to our location. He was able to get the slide to work and the jacks up. We took the Motorhome to be serviced. The Motorhome was where we were living in. When we got to the Dealership they immediately took possession of the RV. Thus leaving us with no place to stay. For two nights we stayed in a hotel. On the 3rd day at the Dealership, they told us they were waiting for parts to come in. We advised them that we couldn't afford to stay in the hotel any further. They said that we could live in our R.V. on the lot until the parts came in. They provided us with water & electricity. However, the first night an employee accidentally shut the water off... It was cold and heavy rain was coming down. We turned the furnace on and we found out it wasn't working.

The next day we told the service manager of our problem. They checked the furnace and found out that the furnace vent (which pointed upwards) did not have a part in back of it to prevent water from coming in. Thus water leaked into the compartments. We stayed 5 more nights before they "fixed" our R.V. The next day we drove home. While traveling in the RV, we heard noises on the floor as we walked on it. We also discovered that the furnace was heating the back of the R.V., but not the front. Later on we took the R.V. to a local R.V. dealership to get the furnace fixed and the floor checked. Later on we got a call that their service tech had discovered that the support beams underneath the floor had not been properly nailed in. The nails were not connected to the floor beams. They did check the furnace and saw that no heat was coming to the front of the R.V.

Our R.V. was in the shop for four months, before they said that they had fixed everything. We did take it out during the summer on a trip. This is when we discovered that the kitchen faucet sprayer would spray out everywhere but the sink. Also we had trouble with the carbon monoxide, it kept going off. In November we took a job as a volunteer Work Camper at a State Park, near Tallahassee. It gets very cold up there. This when we found out that the furnace was not heating the front of the R.V. No heat or air was coming out of the 3 vents in the front of the R.V. We bought electric heaters to keep the front warm. But, it was still uncomfortable. Since we promised to stay till mid- January we couldn't take the RV in for service. Please note that we are both retired and volunteer to do work at different R.V. Resorts in able to travel to different States. That is why we bought a Motorhome, to provide us an opportunity to travel.

Also the carbon monoxide detector went off and on several times so we had to disconnect it. When we got home in mid-January we took our R.V. back to the dealer who repaired it before. Our main complaint is that we have no heat going to the front of the R.V. We contacted our Service Warranty Representative and got authorization to get it fixed. The service tech checked all the ductwork and saw nothing bent or closed off. The ductwork is under the bed, so it is easily visible. All the duct pipes were together except one. This one was about 6 feet long and was wrapped around our water tank to the back vent of the bed. This provided heat for the hallway & the bunk bed area. The service tech disconnected this, to see if heat would flow to the front of the R.V.

Two of the front vents had a little bit of air coming out, and there was no heat coming from the front vent driver's area, Also the bad part is that it took the heat away from the hallway & bunk area. The service tech said that there was nothing else they could do. I called the Warranty Advisor again, and was told the only thing she could do was put shutoff vents in the back. She also said that since the furnace was located in the back of the R.V. it could not provide much heat to the front. We suggested heat pumps be installed to supplement the furnace to heat the front. The only thing she was willing to do was pay for the shutoff vents. If we wanted heat pumps we would have to pay for them.

I have had nothing but trouble in getting this R.V. PROPERLY FIXED. We had to fight Coachmen to get it fixed correctly. Three times the R.V. has been in the shop. We have lost almost 5 1/2 months usage of our R.V. We are afraid to take it out because something else might break down. Coachmen has not cooperated fully in fixing the R.V. Every time we had it serviced Coachmen "fixes" (going the cheapest route), and yet we still have things that break down, so we have lost all CONFIDENCE in Coachmen. I sent a e-mail to Forest River Inc., who manufactures Coachmen products. The Warranty Manager and I talked on the phone for about a half an hour. During our conversation he said that the cause of us not getting heat to the front is because the furnace was located in the of The R.V. The only thing to do is keep the vent closed that heats the hallway & the bunk bed area.

He said that when we bought the R.V. we failed to take the options that were available to upgrade the R.V. To my understanding when he said that was that he was hinting that we bought a stripped down version of the R.V. He said that deluxe model of our Motorhome would cost about $170,000, and ours we bought at $105,000. I have bought RVs before and never have been offered upgrades. To me when you purchase a new Motorhome that you expect everything to work, and have heat in the whole Motorhome. As for the heat pumps we could purchase them at cost. But, that it would not solve our problem. He offered to sell us double pane windows at cost. Also he was willing to pay for the electric heaters we bought and were using.

When I said that I would seek legal advice, he said go ahead. Our problem was that the R.V that we purchased was the location of the furnace in the back of the R.V. To me it is not my problem. With all the problems that we incurred shows me that this R.V. is really not safe to use. Plus it hinders us from fulfilling our dream of traveling and seeing other states. When we do have a job it could last a few months to up to 6 months at a time. How can we live in something that has proven unreliable to live in? At the end of our conversation the Warranty Manager said that Coachmen would install a bigger furnace depending on if it will fit, and if it will provide heat to the front of the R.V. If it doesn't then I would have to be satisfied with the heat that I am getting in the front now (which in reality there isn't heat in the front).

I feel that this is defective R.V. That Coachmen should not have placed the furnace in a place where it could equally provide heat to the front and rear of the R.V. The warranty service personnel were not helpful at all. Nor was the Service Manager at Midwest R.V. Sales, who argued with us, and showed total disregard in having to pay for a hotel, and then living on their lot for five days. Also the Salesman who sold us the Motorhome, and assured us that the service techs had checked our R.V. over and found "nothing" wrong with it. Lesson learned not to deal or buy a Coachmen or Forest River product because of their failure to stand behind their product.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Overall, I have had good service with my Coachmen Catalina 243rbs. My front paint did peel just outside of warranty and they still fixed it. Otherwise, it has worked well for us. My side/corner trim also cracked and split at around the 3 year mark. The sun does eat lightweight plastics. I would buy another Coachmen.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I bought a new 2016 Coachmen Brookstone 325rl 5th wheel from Dennis-Dillon RVs in Boise, ID in September 2015. I was really impressed with the appearance and features, like automatic electric leveling and a programmable thermostat. Dealer prep was shameful. Among the issues was no valve on the freshwater drain. Rather than spend days and miles taking it back, I fixed it myself. Every time I moved anything, I found muddy footprints and loose screws, sawdust, and electrical insulation bits, indicating sloppy work at the factory. I have found numerous loose and crooked screws, some of the frame welds would get you an F in a high school industrial arts class, and I had leaks like in the ice-maker feed line where the wrong parts were used (compression fittings for copper line crushing the plastic line).

I wondered why the partition in the storage basement was installed crooked, so I took it out and discovered that it was just installed crooked and about 16 inches further forward than necessary. At the same time I discovered that heat ducts were not connected to the registers inside the trailer. When I crawled under the coach, I found big gobs of plastic foam where pipes had been installed, gaps in the corrugated plastic under-liner, and trailing fibers from the plastic fabric under-liner, along with more awful welds. There are numerous interior trim pieces and panels that have fallen off due to the use of short staples and missing the backing boards when the trim was installed. The nifty electric leveling quit, and the supplier (Lippert industries) has not responded to e-mails in spite of their promise on their website to respond within 48 hours.

The Dometic Comfort Control Center thermostat either does not work or the instructions are so cryptic that I can't decipher them. I suspect that the problem is equipment failure because other forums talk about how to replace the Dometic with another brand. The wastewater tank valves are mounted up inside the underbelly of the trailer and are operated by long flexible cables. The flexible cables are mounted to the flexible plastic housing around the water filter, so with the flexible cables mounted on a flexible backing, there is not a positive shutoff for the wastewater. Without a positive shutoff, there is always black water behind the cap when you take it off to dump - what a mess! Also, when we are in a park, all the liquid in the black water tank leaks away from the solid material, so the fecal material and paper can harden into a brick and we can't dump effectively.

When I have talked to the dealer, it is weeks of wait time to even look at the problems, and we find the problems when we are on the road using the rig, so I mostly just fix it myself or live with it. In summary, there are some design problems, there is really sloppy workmanship, and some of the components are unreliable. Because I have fixed a lot of the problems myself, I have not really tested the support from the dealer or component manufacturers, but the few calls I have made have not been satisfactorily answered. I would never recommend this brand, and plan to unload it in the near future - but I would not sell it to a friend.

Coachmen RV Company Information