Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

574 Audi Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

1/11/18 purchased 2018 Audi S5 Corporate car with 8700 miles. Max oil warning light kept coming on. Took out 9 qts gasoline saturated oil. Serviced 4 times, contact Audi USA 3 times & email. No response. Traded car for BMW 540XI.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I purchased a 2018 Audi Q7 and was pushed by Grapevine Audi to finance for at least 4 months to get a rebate and the dealer get an incentive from Audi Financial. Long story short I made the first payment of $10,000 which they lost and now claim they returned. They say the check was cashed...this was an electronic bank transfer made by my bank and the entire story from Audi makes no sense and they cannot prove how they returned the funds. I have been dealing with this for over a month and each call results in a different story from Audi Financial. If you choose to finance an Audi do so through your own bank to avoid this nightmare.

Get expert buying tips about Car Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have never owned an Audi product, so I decided to lease a 2017 Audi Q7 3.0 to determine if I would shift from the Benz and BMW world. The car is good, very good but I have problems with obtaining satisfactory maintenance service. My first bad experience was at Audi of Silverspring, MD where I schedule to take my car in and booked a Loaner. On getting there, I was referred to Enterprise somewhere at the back of the Audi facilities. Enterprise wasted my time and within one hour, the provided 2 cars that did not work. I called my Service Associate multiple times and left messages. I did not get him and he never replied my call.

At the edge of one hour, I decided to go back to Audi. I still did not meet my Service Associate. I told them to give me my car and left in annoyance without doing the service (they have not started working on it after one hour). I took it to Audi of Bethesda, MD but was very dissatisfied with their service as well - location difficult to locate, no clear directions that the Dealership location is different from the Service Center, poor estimation of completion time, technicians handled the car roughly and carelessly. I tried reaching through the text I got but no response even though the text stated I could use it to reach my service technician - bad responsiveness.

On the next one, I went back to Silverspring and planned to wait while the service was done so I would not run into issues of getting a Loaner car. I got my car back but before I drove back home, the lever used to open the Hood fell off like three times. I kept putting it back and it kept coming off. I then decided to keep it in the Glove Compartment but before that, I took a picture and sent it to the Audi Silverspring SMS text line that the Service Person uses to communicate. I explained and requested a callback. I never got one but after 2 weeks, I got a text asking if I was satisfied. I referred him to my earlier SMS with the picture but never got a response back up till now. I called to leave a message to advise I was trying to get this resolved before leaving an online feedback - no response. Great cars but very poor maintenance service department(s).

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Cruise Control not working - was told someone unplugged a module and it would have to be realigned @ $930.00. Washer Fluid sensor was gooped up from the cold - $215.00. Battery failed a test - $530.00. Tail Light LED is bad - $630.00. It wasn't long ago when a tail light could be repaired for $15 and a new battery installed for $75. I'm holding my breath for something that is really serious. May be my last Audi.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I initially bought an Audi because of their quality and excellent engineering. However, I don't believe I will ever purchase another automobile from this manufacturer again. At 60000 miles my MMI system experienced a complete failure. The Navigation display would not come up, the radio wouldn't work, the navigation system completely failed. I took the car to the dealer here in Denver and was told the 5F MMI component would have to be replaced. Cost of the part $2200, $400 for labor. To say the least this is outrageous. Needless to say I am done with Audi, they are obviously not the reliable luxury cars I thought they were. Save your money! Don't patronize.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Audi?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Audi A4- an 8 year, 97,000 mile, disposable car. I purchased a CPO 2010 Audi A4 in 2013 with low mileage from Tom Williams Audi in Birmingham Alabama. Since purchase, I have always had it serviced at Jack Ingram Audi in Montgomery, Alabama. Since owning it I have had two major engine issues and the last one has caused it to be a "throw away car". Immediately upon purchase, with about 22,000 miles the car was burning a lot of oil and after continual visits to Audi for over a year, they informed me of the excessive oil consumption recall and it did not pass the "excessive oil consumption test". Under warranty, the car underwent the #2 engine rebuild around 2014-2015 at about 35,000 miles.

After that repair, everything seemed fine until October 2018, when the car began shaking and the engine light went on. I brought it to Audi and they said it was a fouled spark plug. However, 30 days later, with 97,000 miles, the car began shaking again but this time the engine light came on and was flashing and the car would not drive. I had it flat-bedded to Audi, where I was told there is an extended timing chain/tensioner warranty, so not to worry. Audi paid to replace the timing chain/tensioner but I was told I needed a "valve job" for 4100.00, because of damage to the engine when the timing chain failed. I was told because of a pending class action lawsuit that Audi would pay on a sliding scale which would be 25% for my year and mileage. That would leave $3400.00 cost to me for a car with a $4000.00 trade in value.

Although being shocked about all this, I approved the work because I was not in a position to buy a new car, especially with $0 trade in money. However, I get another call today, telling me that there is more bad news, that at least two of the pistons had bent and there is something possibly cracked and I need a "long block" (ie new engine) for $11,000 of which Audi will pay 25% to repair due to the class action timing chain litigation. It makes no financial sense to spend $8250.00 (75% of the 11,000) for a car with a 4000 value. However, if I don't repair it, Audi owes me 0 for the total loss of my car that was working fine until the timing chain failed.

So at 8 years and 97,000 miles, this Audi A4, luxury car is a throw away car. Audi should have had to cover the engine damage caused by the faulty chain. This is the lions share of the repair cost. I feel Audi should owe me the full trade in value of the car because it broke as a result of the timing chain which they admit was faulty. Audi customer service was curt and told me to file with the class action suit when I asked if they would consider paying anything additional (this was several days before the "fairness hearing" was held on December 12). I would never advise anyone buy an Audi after this experience.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I bought an A4 a year and a half ago used but in incredible condition. Now for my confusing part. The car starts to idle rough, push the turn off button and keeps running for a few seconds. The engine light appears the next day. Ran code and came up timing. I then read it been quite the problem it seems. People having catastrophic engine failure at worst. I then see Audi has been sued.

I contact the lawyer firm representing the plaintiffs (on the tensioner failure) and was sent a form because my Audi was one of the models affected. Was told as long as I bring it to an authorized Audi dealership it would be covered 100% and if brought to an independent repair shop $1500 would be covered. Well I called the only dealer near me 50 miles away and was told, "Yes we are aware of the extended warranty and yes Audi will cover it." Okay great!!! Had the car flat bedded there. Got a call they received my car. Great then a service advisor called and said it would be a few days to a week to repair. I was told it a 10 hour job. I said okay.

Then a few days later I called back because I had a question. The service advisor told me, "I was just about to write you an email. I have some bad news. Audi will only cover 25% of the repair and need maintenance records." What!!!! What happened to you know all about the extended warranty and look forward to seeing your car. I said as far as the maintenance records they are all listed on Carfax. Was told they can't use that. (Why? Extended warranty companies use them along with Edmunds.) I don't know. Like I said I'm confused completely. It's been over a week and haven't heard a word back from anyone. I will say for the record the employees I did talk to were very polite but polite doesn't answer why I haven't heard back about the status.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I brought a new Audi A4 in 2013 and it has less than 50K miles on it as of today. Last year in June, the car doesn't accelerate and starts shaking while moving. I had to get it towed to the service shop where and after 3-4 days of tests, they informed me that they would need to fix the engine which would cost anywhere from 5-8K. Given that it was out of warranty, they expected me to bear the costs. It was ridiculous to even think that a premium car like Audi runs into such issues with less than 40K miles (at that time) and that they talk about warranty. It was really shameful and after several calls and discussions, they fixed the issue. However the fear of recurrence has always stayed and I have not been confident to take it for any long drives.

And I got it serviced 3-4 months ago (450$ bill) and was praying that it continues to work fine. And again yesterday the car wouldn't start. The EPC lights turn on and again I had to get the car towed to the servicing shop. They now inform me that I should first get the starter plug replaced (845$ - parts and labor) so they can diagnose further as to why the EPC light is on. I don't know what else they are going to come up with tomorrow and the mere thought scares me. So much for a premium car. The car wouldn't even last 50K miles without an issue though I have been getting it serviced on time with Audi service center only. What are my options to pursue further with the Audi care team?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

The car will shut down, Windows roll up, seat belt tighten by itself when driving, There is no object in front or rear, When the happen the parking sensor will come on as well, this already happen to me three times already. Dealer shop test the car half day after the second time happen to me but nothing be found. They spent two weeks 800 hours drive test after it happen to me on the third time but still can not found the problems. They return the car and suggestion me to drive careful and make video or take picture when it happens again. How can I video it?

I did report to the Audi Canada November 26, 2018 but the suggestion was same thing. I driving the deluxe car daily not enjoin but under risk. My family member refuse with me if I drive on the high ways. I heard somebody had same problems too. Be careful the Audi Q7!!! Help me to found any better suggestion or solution please. AUDI Q7 3.0 QUATTRO WA1WAAF70HD020247.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I have a 2012 Audi A4 2.0. 80K miles. Last week without any prior symptoms my engine light goes on. I drive a few miles home the next day. My car will not start. I take it to dealer for diagnosis, dealer tells me the timing chain tensioner failed and timing jumped causing major damage to engine. Repair cost or new engine is estimated between six and fourteen thousand dollars. This is a known issue from Audi and there is a class action lawsuit for same issue. Looking for Audi USA to see if they can assist. Anyone had same issue or experience with Audi USA? Any recommendations.

Audi Company Information