Find an Extended Auto Warranties partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About InterContinental Warranty Company

Intercontinental Warranty Services, also known as IWS, is an extended auto warranty provider with nationwide vehicle protection programs. Though its services are limited to credit union members, it does offer a 60-day trial period, during which you can cancel without penalty. You can make claims through its mobile app.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• 60-day trial period
    • Nationwide protection
    • Affordable rates
    • 24/7 roadside assistance

Cons

• Limited to credit union members
    • Doesn’t accept all vehicles

Bottom Line

IWS offers extended auto warranty contracts for credit union members. It has a wide variety of vehicle protection programs and operates nationwide. Policyholders can file service claims through a mobile app.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

InterContinental Warranty Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about InterContinental Warranty Company?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2011

I purchased a 6-year warranty plan with IWS. This was done in July 2007. I have never had to use this warranty. Two weeks ago, a tire sensor steam broke when I was airing tire up. It was just enough to let air escape. The dealer wants $200 to replace the sensor on my Nissan Titan. This should have been covered on my warranty with IWS. They refuse to pay since it was not an electrical or mechanical problem. The tire sensor cannot be used if it will not hold air. This sensor is hooked to a computer on my Nissan titan. I’m guessing by looking at other complaints that this policy is useless.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2011

I was driving my car one day and the car cuts off and the engine lights came on. I noticed that the temperature gauge was on ''H'' so I put some water and anti-freeze in it and and drove it to the nearest place which is my mom's house. I had it towed to the dealership and told me that my thermostat made my head gasket blow and I call the warranty. But they told me they're not going to cover it since they don't cover the thermostat. The dealership told me that I would need to put a used motor in it and they denied my claim.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2011

I had a warranty with IWS that expired. I didn't notice it until my power steering pump went out and I had to pay for those repairs myself. I then went and purchase another warranty from IWS (3,000 mi) later.

Three hundred miles after purchasing that warranty, my oil cooler burst and the cost for repairs was $3,700 and IWS denied the cost because they said it was a pre-existing condition. I told them if it is pre-existing, then it should be covered under the previous warranty. They said that warranty expired and doesn't count anymore.

I am preparing to take them to court.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2011

My bank, AACU, recommended this extended warranty company when I bought both my cars. My truck is now broken and they refused to cover the expenses. They told me they will not cover the repairs on my truck since there was contamination of fluids, lubricants, corrosion, carbon, etc. around the engine. The mechanic stated there is no way a vehicle will run correctly, if any of the above is not present around the engine. He said every car on the road, new or used will have either one or the other listed above at one point or another.

The mechanic stated, it is unfortunate as they get many customers with this same problem on a daily basis. I spoke with a supervisor before Christmas and he stated they would not cover the repairs and to refer to the clause in the contract of what is not covered. I am sick of companies like this taking advantage of people when it comes to repairs. Now, I do not have the possible means of paying over a thousand dollars for the repairs of my truck. For specific details, please call me at ** or email me at **.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2010

The radiator on my Acura began to leak one month before the warranty service contract was due to expire. I had the leak repaired and submitted the related documents to an Intercontinental Warranty Services address in Florida as instructed. About 10 days later, I received a denial form letter from the address and individual shown above. The policy price was $1552.00, replacement of radiator was $918.02.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2010

We bought a 100% money back guarantee service warranty policy from them when we purchased a new 2003 travel trailer back in Feb 7, 2003. This warranty would have covered any repairs needed for a period of 7 years. If we did not use it, (which we didn't) we were promised in writing (contract and all), we would be entitled to a full refund, which is $1900.00. We are trying to get our refund and we find out this company has file bankruptcy and the dealer Tex-All Boat & RV in Texas where we bought the trailer says they can't help us because this company owes them money as well. Did we missed out on the filing deadline, we just find out since we had to wait 7 years to claim our money. We feel we were scammed out of $1900, had we needed repair during the 7 years, they would have not paid anyway. Please help us file a claim. Thank you!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2010

Second complaint about this company in 3 months. I purchased IWS's extended warranty, their "Gold Plan" for an extended 24,000 miles over and above the 46,000 miles my vehicle had on it when I purchased it 2nd hand. I paid $1,850 for this coverage and the "Peace of Mind" (or so I thought). My vehicle is a 2004 VW Touareg V6.

A module in my tire pressure sensor system stopped working and needed to be replaced. Cost was about $800. They told me it wasn't covered even though most other extended warranties cover the tire pressure monitoring systems since most high end vehicles now come with one form of tire pressure monitoring system or another.

During my last encounter with IWS, they covered only half the total cost (Total cost $1,000) of replacing one of the two fuel pumps in my vehicle even though the parts and labor were covered under their warranty. They said the dealer was overcharging me for the labor. Funny thing is that my dealership showed me an invoice for the same repairs on another vehicle which they showed was covered in full by another extended warranty company.

Do not do business with IWS Warranty Services. These folks are crooks who will find any way they can not to cover you when you need it most. When you buy a used car, check with your dealer where you intend to service it, which warranty company they have the least problems with and buy it if you really feel you need it. No damages but the repairs cost me about $800 for something that is normally covered by extended warranties.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2009

I was taught a long time ago not to purchase extended warranties but the refund aspect of this warranty seemed like it had little risk. But, it is in fact a rip-off in every sense. Please, if you are considering purchasing it, do not. You will lose your $1,000. My credit union has dropped them due to all the complaints. You need to keep the car 7 years (but the warranty is not for 7 years) but it never says the words 7 years; it says terms. After the 7 terms, you had better have your paperwork handy because you only have 30 days to cash in. So if you have a perfect 7-year memory, fair play. Though they say it covers everything your original warranty covers, they are lying and will tell you so, as soon as you try to use it. All explained in their 4-page, small print, legal-sized document. Just don't buy it. It is a scam, and legal at that.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2009

I purchased an extended warranty from Intercontinental Warranty Services (IWS) in July 2008 for my 2004 VW Touareg V-6 at the same time I purchased my car. I purchased it used with about 46,000 miles. I purchased the extended warranty, their so called Gold Warranty for an extended 24,0000. About 1 1/2 years later, my car's engine would just lose power and I had to have the car towed in to the VW dealership. They diagnosed the car as having a defective left-side fuel pump (there are two fuel pumps in this car) and they had to remove both, test which one was defective, replace the faulty pump and reinstall both back into the car. The total time for the diagnosis and repair was 5.5 hours and the cost came to $948 for labor and parts. IWS only agreed to pay for 3.1 hours. Along with labor and parts, they agreed to pay only $548. VW told me that they come across this all the time with 3rd party warranty services. I sure learned my lesson i.e. DO NOT PURCHASE 3RD PARTY WARRANTIES. Buy your extended warranty through your dealer once you make sure its accepted at all other dealerships in case you get relocated. My Credit Union, which financed my car and warranty, has also stopped doing business with IWS because of numerous complaints. After all, what's the use of such a warranty if you end up coughing up $100's in addition to the $100 deductible???

Original review: Nov. 12, 2009

I purchased a 2003 Chevy silverado Pickup that was lifted from a dealer in Colorado in 2004. The truck was 1 year old and I purchased an extended warranty at the same time from InterContinental Warranty Services. in 2009 on a trip 1000 milers away from home my transmission started to fail so I brought it to AAMCO since it was identified as a selected repair location by InterContinental. They started by first approving the repair but within an hour they called the repair shop back to cancel the work. They stated that since the pickup had larger than stock tires that it had exceeded the 100,000 miles covered by the policy. They took the stance that for the past 80,000 miles I had been driving the truck with the speedometer being wrong based on the truck having larger tires than stock so the odometer must be incorrect also. After many hours of my research I was able to prove the truck was originally sold from the chevy dealership with the lift kit and larger tires (after hours of research and calling them back east). They still contended that I had to have proof that the speedometer was recalibrated to prove was was correct all these years. I was able to produce the sales person and phone number that sold me the truck and he specifically remembers the truck being lifted with larger tires then. He also knows the odometer was validated correct for sale as required in Colorado with the larger tires. BUT after all the research and proof that the truck was not modified and tha that the odometer was correct their supervisor just told me they are denying my claim because the truck was modified?? Its pretty clear that they had no intention of covering the repair and were just looking for an excuse to not pay. And when I was able to provide all the bazaar info they asked for then they just took the generic stance of the truck being modified even though it really was originally sold this way. they even went so far as to say its impossible to recalibrate the 2003 pickups when its not. so har far can these companies take the 'modified' excuse? A different brand of tire?

InterContinental Warranty Company Company Information