Find an Extended Auto Warranties partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About InterContinental Warranty Company

Intercontinental Warranty Services, also known as IWS, is an extended auto warranty provider with nationwide vehicle protection programs. Though its services are limited to credit union members, it does offer a 60-day trial period, during which you can cancel without penalty. You can make claims through its mobile app.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• 60-day trial period
    • Nationwide protection
    • Affordable rates
    • 24/7 roadside assistance

Cons

• Limited to credit union members
    • Doesn’t accept all vehicles

Bottom Line

IWS offers extended auto warranty contracts for credit union members. It has a wide variety of vehicle protection programs and operates nationwide. Policyholders can file service claims through a mobile app.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

InterContinental Warranty Company Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about InterContinental Warranty Company?

Original review: April 12, 2013

I was convinced by the sales reps at Space Coast Credit Union that this warranty would be for the best. Needless to say, it was a waste of money. They don't send, update information, contact or even care that you have this policy. When I first called Space Coast Credit Union, they sent me to Member Services and the lady told me they had switched to Route 66. She gave me the number and after holding for 20 minutes, the rude lady at Route 66 (I would never recommend buying from them) told me to call Space Coast again.

I just directly called IWS and got another rude lady that acted like I was a complete hassle to her. She then informed me that my policy had expired a year ago, even though I'm still paying for my car. I'm upset at the fact that Space Coast, the people who sold me the warranty, never told me that my policy had expired or it was expiring. I know I made the mistake with purchasing the warranty. It was never used and I wasted a good $1,200 on the policy, but a nice notice about it expiring would have been nice.

Original review: April 2, 2013

I contacted IWS to authorize repairs for a customer’s A/C. The representative informed me the customer had to authorize teardown to determine the cause and extent of repairs. We had already told IWS that the compressor had locked up and required a new comp., drier, and exp. vlv. as well as flushing the system. IWS did not want to replace the drier and exp. vlv. stating also it is not necessary to r/r the drier, even though the compressor manufacturer requires it for warranty. Also, this is South Texas where the humidity is high. I told them we do not operate doing things halfway - it is the right way or not at all. They stated they would contact the contract holder to pick up their vehicle and take it somewhere else. I have contacted the vehicle owner and they feel the same as we do and are going to cancel their contract with IWS.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2012

My son's truck, of which I am a co-owner, had an engine light come on. I checked the code and it called out an EGR valve. I called ICW in advance to make sure we were covered. The young lady said it was eligible for coverage, if that is what caused the engine light. I had it taken to the car dealer because a private shop wouldn't accept the warranty. After it was diagnosed that it did indeed need the EGR valve replaced, we were told that ICW wouldn't cover it. I called the company confused, spoke to the same young lady who repeated that the repair was eligible and said she would check the claim and call me back. I got a call from a gentleman, who informed me that the EGR valve was not a covered item on my policy. I asked why the young lady gave me the wrong information twice and he indicated it must have been the infamous misunderstanding!

Well I understood everything and the young lady understood everything. I think I understand it better now though. Buy a warranty from a new car dealership. They know which ones are good and which ones aren't. I bought one years ago and it paid for a new transmission, no questions asked. It wasn't ICW though. Good luck and I hope this helps you in your decision!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2012

I took my wife's car into the shop because it was shifting funny. The certified Hyundai mechanic said he believed it to be a flywheel problem. I called IWC and the rep. said if it was the flywheel, the warranty would pay for it but if it was the clutch, they would not. I authorized the Hyundai dealership to tear it down so we would know for sure. The flywheel had broken. IWC sent an inspector out and he claims it was from abusive driving. The mechanic did not agree so here I am, left with a $2200 repair bill that this rip off company does not want pay. I only paid $1589 for this warranty that is absolutely not worth the paper it is written on. Therefore, I hereby recommend that you be very wary of these crooks and do not fall for their sales pitch. They suck!

Original review: July 17, 2012

I took the vehicle in due to the fact the voltage meter kept coming on. The dealership couldn't find the problem. After 2 days, it kept coming on several times. The dealer finally found the problem in the alternator charging system. They called the company and gave them a repair order #. The problem was fixed with no delay. All I had to pay was my deductible of $100. Vehicle is fixed. Thanks.

Original review: June 26, 2012

My complaint is towards Intercontinental Warranty Services, Inc (IWS) to repair or replace my engine and water pump damage as stated in my extended warranty coverage contract. My car only has two more payments left on it. It's within the contracts time limitations and mileage limitations. My problem is that I was not aware that my water pump was bad. All I was aware of was a sound that my car was making as I was en route to the repair shop. Immediately as the water pump blew, the car became really sluggish and I was immediately forced to pull the car to the right shoulder. I was not made aware of what happened until I had to get my car towed to the dealership that the water pump was bad. I'm not an auto expert but I knew that the noise did not sound right and I was taking it to get it checked out. My car is my only transportation and I would not knowingly put my car at risk that I wouldn't be able to use it anymore, especially with being so close to having it paid off!

Original review: April 29, 2012

I bought this warranty from the AACU in 2011. When my 2008 BMW X3 began giving me trouble, that’s when IWS showed their true colors. Firstly, they denied paying for windshield washer pump, then left airbag curtain, then the transfer unit actuator and so on. The contract states it pays for transfer unit and internal parts and they still refuse. After involving the BBB, I am being offered to buy back policy prorated at $1,100 when I paid $2,000 for transfer unit actuator and the policy cost me almost $2,000. This company has denied policy. Unfortunately, the credit unions are doing nothing to protect their consumers.

Original review: April 21, 2012

I bought an Intercontinental Warranty Service contract through Centris Federal Credit Union in Omaha. Centris told me it covered everything! I paid $3100.00 for the best contract; it was a four-year contract. After two years, one of the horns on my car went bad. In the contract, it states they cover horns. But when we submitted the work, they rejected it because it might have been water damage. Who would have thought water in the front of the car where the horn is located? This was the third contract I bought through Centris with IWS. This was the first time I tried to use them. After I bought the contract, I got a full copy of the contract in the mail which has all the disclaimers in it. I should have been shown this first because they have an out on everything, including - get this - "nuclear contamination.” I blame Centris for selling a bad contract to the members. They don't look at the product very well. They didn't help me receive a full refund. They told me what it covered, but not all the disclaimers in the contract. I will never use IWS again!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2012

I have been searching for information on several of the best warranty companies for auto repairs and found complaints on them all but does that mean they are all bad? Not necessarily, what I found out was that anyone can file a complaint whether it is legitimate or not. This seems very unfair for a site to allow claims that have not even been verified to be legitimately denied claims or not. I noticed one lady drove her car hot causing it to warp the heads on her engine because she was in a bad neighborhood in a Lincoln? Now how can that be the warranty companies fault? Any of the warranty companies do not have products that give the owners a right to not take care of their vehicles and most policies only covered named components and then they get mad because a failure from a non-covered part caused the a repair bill? I like having your site but please it's not right for people to be able to ruin a company’s reputation without both sides being able to have input. I'm just for being fair.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2012

I bought Ultra Gold Coverage for new cars on 12/10/2007. The car has 73,400 miles and suffered a catastrophic failure in the engine. A lifting rod broke and pierced the engine wall. This is covered per my warranty, but IWS will not authorize the repairs. And there is an outstanding bill at the Dealership for $1200.00 that should be covered as well. The dealer is more honest than the warranty company! I paid cash up front for this coverage and expect it to be worth something! All I want is my car to be fixed, but now I'm going to have to sue.

InterContinental Warranty Company Company Information