Looking for an auto transporter?

American Auto Transporters

Canton, MA

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

8 American Auto Transporters Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

This shipping transportation company shipped my Jeep Laredo. Prior to pickup other companies warned me about this all American transport stealing auto parts during shipping. Nov. 2016 I hired them to ship my Jeep from Florida to Michigan before the driver Kelsey picked up my jeep. I had pictures under my hood, inside my jeep. Alex knew the horrible things that happened to me and gave me discount. I thought I was in good hands until I called almost a week later. Where is my Jeep? Kelsey said he was at a buddy's house fixing the breaks on his truck. A feeling of despair came over. I knew he was taking parts.

Finally my Jeep arrived dead. The battery was dead. He jumped my battery and I said, "This is not my battery." I was freaking out. Even the hydraulics did not work on my hood. After renting a apartment my Jeep was jumped and move, has been parked in driveway. After a new battery was drained I discovered the alternator was different. The pictures prior to transport showed the parts were old and did not match!! Kelsey stripped my entire Jeep! I have contacted crime investigator. I've even called Alex. He is ignoring me. He sent text asking if I needed service. I was shocked and let him I was looking for his driver. No reply! THIS A CRIME!! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. I AM ON DISABILITY AND NOW HAVE A SHELL FOR A JEEP. I AM SEEKING JUSTICE!!

Original review: June 28, 2018

This was my first time shipping a car and became bombarded with emails, calls and texts from various companies. As I was Google checking reviews I was contacted by American Auto Transporters, I politely declined their offer and that's when the rude over aggressive texts flowed in but it didn't stop there! The guy was super argumentative and unprofessional. Poor customer service, the horrible attitude shown and my gut instinct was a blessing. When people show you who they are believe them because if their service is anything like their customer service you will be disappointed. I went with another company who was NOTHING like this.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Transporters delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Aug. 14, 2015

I had two cars picked up from Massachusetts and shipped to Tampa Florida. Everything was good in the beginning. They said they will pick it up at a certain day/time and they did. From that point it went down. The drivers (Mike and one other person) who came to pick up the cars went around my BMW and marked it for scratches in the front and back. I didn't see any scratches and asked them why did they mark, they said to feel the bumper underneath. I felt the bumper Underneath and found it was rough under the front bumper but was smooth in the back, so I said they should remove the marks they had in their BOL for the back since it does not have any. They agreed and scratched it from the BOL. Now the cars were taken away and was supposed to be delivered on Aug 6th as per the email from the carrier.

No email/phone on that day and two days later they brought it in. Not a big deal since I had a rental car. I walked around the car and found scratches in the rear of my car, like if another car name plate hit my car. I showed it to the driver and said this is not how I shipped it. He was upset but asked me to write it down in the notes, which I did and he took off. Now I called the American Auto transporters and reported the scratches. They asked me to take pictures and send it to them, which I did. No response. 2 days later the carrier called me and said that is how the car was when picked up. Now this upset me and told him to look at the BOL when picked up. They were to get back to me. No response, so I called again to the American Auto transporters office and was looking for Clifford ** since he was the one who took the order.

Immediately when he knew I called him, he said the claims manager will talk to me. His name was Robert **. Totally rude tone in the most ruthless voices. He said the car was delivered exactly how it was picked up. I asked him did he see the BOL when it was picked up and he said the drivers who picked up the car marked them but then I forced them to scratch it off, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? This aggravated me the most. It was like he was talking to someone who does not have COMMON SENSE. Just because a customer is asking to scratch off something from the BOL the drivers will do it. I told him clearly there were no scratches when it was picked up and it is their responsibility to get it fixed, and he said NO.

Well the only thing I can do with having shipped my cars through them and spent 1600 dollars for shipping is to write a review so that anyone who thinks to ship the cars through them will take a step back and not to do business with them. In short the summary with my experience I will say, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH AMERICAN AUTO TRANSPORTERS SINCE THEY TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES THEY HAVE CAUSED TO THE CAR.

Original review: June 7, 2014

For the past few years, I have had my car shipped round trip from Canton, MA to Ft. Lauderdale, FL by this company. I dropped the car (Camry Hybrid) off at SWAD in Ft Lauderdale on May 14, 2014 for the return trip. It was delivered to Canton on May 22. When I opened the trunk, it was obviously vandalized. There were large amounts of gravel sitting on top of the luggage. Bags were torn open and contents thrown about. A large ladies navy purse was left opened and a bag of fashion jewelry inside was taken. Also, a blood pressure monitor in a black leather case was taken. A ladies golf top was stepped on and a black footprint was embedded on it. There may be more missing, but I will not know until I go about looking for things.

I immediately brought the vandalism and theft to the attention of the Canton office. We spoke on three separate occasions regarding this very disturbing incident. They contacted the driver who said he would question his relief driver who rides with him. No one knows anything. I am heartbroken about the theft and I can only conclude that my car was left unlocked either during the trip or in the terminals. It would be the only way to get into the trunk other than a key. The trunk showed no damage of forced entry. American said they have security cameras in their lot. Why weren't they checked on the date the car was backed against a fence in their lot where there is plenty of gravel in order to rule out theft at their terminal? Obviously, American does not feel a responsibility to their customers. Security measures are lacking. DO NOT USE THEM. Please address this issue. Thank you.

Original review: June 30, 2012

My husband and I have used this company numerous times and have never had such issues! Our car took 11 days to get from Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Quincy, MA. (It's put on a truck!) The mileage was up 1,000 miles, and the gas was down half a tank! There were TomTom marks on the windshied (I have navigation.), and I really can't be positive about the Ray Bans missing from the above compartment! When I called Canton to vent, the rude people yelled at me for not having my reservation number! Needless to say, Ft. Lauderdale blamed Canton, and Canton blamed Ft. Lauderdale! Never again. And I have a lot of friends, who will also choose another company next season!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Transporters?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2010

I shipped my car through American Auto Transporters, out of Canton, MA. When my car arrived, it had been transferred to a small truck, and had a dent in the fender, and 7 vertical scratches on the rear bumper. I followed the instructions for filing a claim. But American Auto refused to honor their agreement, and stated that only the truck driver was liable. He offered me $500 on a $1700 repair. I contacted American Auto again. They basically said they would not pay any claims. Do not believe your contract. American Auto can smash up your car as much as they want. And they will tell you to go find some random truck driver to deal with.

Original review: April 13, 2006

I purchased a late model Cadillac from eBay, from a dealer in Florida. I live in Arlington, MA, so I decided to go with a local auto transport service. I, (regretfully), decided to use American Auto Transporters, Inc. to do the job. They promised to pick the car up in Florida on March 31, 2006, and deliver it within 4 - 8 days. I phoned them every day for a progress report, and they kept telling 'the car is in transport and is on schedule'.

A week passed, no car. I called them and asked where the car was; they had no clue. Later that day the manager (Nick) called me back and told me that my car had never left the Florida dealership, But he didn't apologize, instead, HE BLAMED ME, claiming I should have known the car hadn't left Florida yet. "Most people know when their cars have left the terminal", he stated.

Next, he promised the car would be picked up in Florida on Monday, April 10, 2006, and that he would "expedite the car to me", so that it would arrive either Wednesday or Thursday, (April 12-13). Well guess what? Today it's late on April 13th and no car yet. I called American Auto Transporters again, and again they don't know where my car is. NO APOLOGIES, just an annoyed sounding "Nick" saying he will try to find out and call me back, or a totally clueless female secretary telling you lies about your car's whereabouts. Two and a half hours later, still no call. I called him, again, he doesn't know where the car is.

Do yourself a favor, AVOID AMERICAN AUTO TRANSPORTERS like the plague. Any company can make a mistake, but these people keep piling on lies to cover themselves, rather than apologize and be helpful.

Original review: March 16, 2004

Since I was relocating from Quincy MA to Long Beach CA, I contracted with American Auto Transporters to move my 2 cars. For sure I was promised the moon and the stars, answering with confidence that it will take a week to 10 days max to deliver each car. They insisted upfront payment by money order, which I did. Since we figured we will need a car in California and he promised that he has trucks leaving to California at least three times week, we delivered the first car 10 days before we leave then the second one on the day we flew out.

Needless to say three weeks passed by, while I am paying for car rental, and they did not deliver any of the cars or return my several calls. Then I get a call from a driver of another company (ARC transport, FL) who was clueless to any the details telling me American Auto Transports shipped both cars on the same day!! That is a week delay contrary to their strong promises of shipping in less than 24 hours.

The driver refused to deliver to my address claiming that his truck will "not fit" in the street - while we have 2 or 3 18-wheelers delivering all the time - and insisted on unloading the cars in a terminal 38 miles away from my home at a cost of $25 per car daily. Dealing with the carrier's office was another ordeal as John P, the owner needs a crash course in professionalism, manners and common sense.

As a consequence of this unprofessional, deceiving practice I ended up paying $300 more ($250 for extra week or car rental and $50 for storage car fees) in addition to the emotional and mental distress they put me and my family thru.

American Auto Transporters Company Information