American Auto Transporters

Compare Auto Transporters

Research top Auto Transporters recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I spoke with a salesperson at this company and agreed to have my car picked up for a total cost of $750. The pickup was supposed to be on Nov 12. They charged my credit card $150 at that time. A few hours later, the dispatcher calls me and tells me that the price would be $850 and the pickup date would be Nov 14 or 15, but neither date worked for me. I disagreed with that plan. A few days later, I call back and the dispatcher said they put in the order for the driver because he said I agreed to the order. I told them that's not what I agreed to, and I told them to cancel it and to find me a driver for the price and date I agreed to.

It is now a week later and the business had not found a driver, told me that I should wait until a day or two before my intended ship date to lock in a driver, because drivers don't lock in their schedules until one or two days before a pickup. I don't have the flexibility to work with this type of uncertainty, so I told the company to cancel the order and to give me a refund. The salesperson cursed at, yelled at, and spewed some horrible things at me over the phone. At least he agreed to refunding me my $150 deposit, but I have also filed a dispute via my credit card company, just in case they don't follow through on their agreement.

All in all the experience was absolutely awful. This company has extremely unethical practices, it lies to its customers about standard transportation procedures, and strong-arms customers into paying more than they originally agreed. This company needs to be investigated/shut down for its awful business practices. Thank goodness I didn't give them my car!

After contacting several transport companies, I decided to go with this "company". I needed to get my car there FAST per court order, they understood this from day 1! They claimed to not be brokers and owned their own trucks...this is a LIE! They ARE brokers. They promised me a pickup date and a price. I signed the contract and guess what...no show. My husband and I spent the whole day on the phone with them. In the end, they weren't going to pick up the car that day but would 4 days later and, of course, we had to work on that day! After finding someone to sit here all day and wait for the driver they sent me a new contract which they didn't tell me they were raising the price by another $200.

When I finally got them to answer my calls they said it was the only way to get the driver to pick up. But they failed to mention this in our dozens of calls earlier. After deciding to just pay it so the car would get to destination (and threatening lawsuit) the driver called 4 days later to say he could not pick up at my house! I had to deliver the car to him in a parking lot across town, mind you the car was not registered to drive. Bottom line, DO NOT put yourself through the hassle of this company. They should be shut down. They are scam artists to soak you for every dime they can!

I had two cars picked up from Massachusetts and shipped to Tampa Florida. Everything was good in the beginning. They said they will pick it up at a certain day/time and they did. From that point it went down. The drivers (Mike and one other person) who came to pick up the cars went around my BMW and marked it for scratches in the front and back. I didn't see any scratches and asked them why did they mark, they said to feel the bumper underneath. I felt the bumper Underneath and found it was rough under the front bumper but was smooth in the back, so I said they should remove the marks they had in their BOL for the back since it does not have any. They agreed and scratched it from the BOL. Now the cars were taken away and was supposed to be delivered on Aug 6th as per the email from the carrier.

No email/phone on that day and two days later they brought it in. Not a big deal since I had a rental car. I walked around the car and found scratches in the rear of my car, like if another car name plate hit my car. I showed it to the driver and said this is not how I shipped it. He was upset but asked me to write it down in the notes, which I did and he took off. Now I called the American Auto transporters and reported the scratches. They asked me to take pictures and send it to them, which I did. No response. 2 days later the carrier called me and said that is how the car was when picked up. Now this upset me and told him to look at the BOL when picked up. They were to get back to me. No response, so I called again to the American Auto transporters office and was looking for Clifford ** since he was the one who took the order.

Immediately when he knew I called him, he said the claims manager will talk to me. His name was Robert **. Totally rude tone in the most ruthless voices. He said the car was delivered exactly how it was picked up. I asked him did he see the BOL when it was picked up and he said the drivers who picked up the car marked them but then I forced them to scratch it off, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? This aggravated me the most. It was like he was talking to someone who does not have COMMON SENSE. Just because a customer is asking to scratch off something from the BOL the drivers will do it. I told him clearly there were no scratches when it was picked up and it is their responsibility to get it fixed, and he said NO.

Well the only thing I can do with having shipped my cars through them and spent 1600 dollars for shipping is to write a review so that anyone who thinks to ship the cars through them will take a step back and not to do business with them. In short the summary with my experience I will say, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH AMERICAN AUTO TRANSPORTERS SINCE THEY TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES THEY HAVE CAUSED TO THE CAR.

I recently dealt with the customer service with this company and have to say that they provide a horrible service. When I first dealt with the sales representative, he assured me that they will find a carrier for my vehicle within two-three business days. I made the reservation with this company a month prior to the actual date that I wanted my vehicles shipped. I called them weekly to see if they had found a carrier for my vehicle and the answer that I got was "when we find a carrier we will call you".

The day prior that I was supposed to my vehicle shipped I called to confirm to see if they had found me a carrier. Same answer "WE WILL CALL YOU". I decided to cancel and go with another carrier. I canceled VIA-Email like they requested aND within a hour of my cancellation they send me an email saying that I owe the 100.00 cancellation fee since there was a carrier for one of my cars. All in all, to anyone that is going to use this company. I suggest you brace yourself for a rude awakening.

The company charged my credit card $250.00 after I cancelled my contract with them. I cancelled the contract within minutes after I returned the signed contract. I found out they have a bad reputation and not a certified carrier. I used another carrier from South Beach which was much cheaper.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Auto Transporters?

POOR SERVICE! QUOTED PRICE WENT UP TWICE BEFORE WE GOT OUR CAR! LOTS OF AGGRAVATION AND FRUSTRATION!!! We first contacted American Auto Transporters on 11/06/14 and tried to get our car picked up either the 11th or 12th of November. They finally picked up our car on 11/17 and delivered it today 11/18. Not bad for a trip from Va to Ga.!!! They took our $150 deposit and I had to make contact with them every time afterwards. No call backs, no emails and if I hadn't kept on top of them we still wouldn't have our car delivered.

Every time I called, they had to check the availability of drivers, and call me back to say they didn't have one available or make a ridiculous request like....pay us the full amount and try to have a neighbor accept the delivery. We didn't have neighbors because we hadn't moved into our house. Then they made a similar suggestion of us paying upfront and them dropping the car at the unoccupied house and hiding the keys on the property. WE HAVE TRANSPORTED OUR VEHICLES CROSS COUNTRY (with other companies) WITH LESS TROUBLE THAN WE HAD WITH THIS COMPANY!! Ship with anyone else before using this company because no other company could be worse.

Drove for them as car hauler. Don't tell you how much the load would pay. You will find after 14 days. Don't tell you where the load would go until you reach the terminal. Most of the employees are racist. Not a place to work as a car hauler if you are an immigrant with an accent.. regardless how you do your job, good or bad. False ads, no dispatch after 5 pm. Cannot refuse a load. You will get 5 unit loads with 5 stops. You piss a dispatcher, he will give you load after load that the most hardcore trucker don't wanna do.

For the past few years, I have had my car shipped round trip from Canton, MA to Ft. Lauderdale, FL by this company. I dropped the car (Camry Hybrid) off at SWAD in Ft Lauderdale on May 14, 2014 for the return trip. It was delivered to Canton on May 22. When I opened the trunk, it was obviously vandalized. There were large amounts of gravel sitting on top of the luggage. Bags were torn open and contents thrown about. A large ladies navy purse was left opened and a bag of fashion jewelry inside was taken. Also, a blood pressure monitor in a black leather case was taken. A ladies golf top was stepped on and a black footprint was embedded on it. There may be more missing, but I will not know until I go about looking for things.

I immediately brought the vandalism and theft to the attention of the Canton office. We spoke on three separate occasions regarding this very disturbing incident. They contacted the driver who said he would question his relief driver who rides with him. No one knows anything. I am heartbroken about the theft and I can only conclude that my car was left unlocked either during the trip or in the terminals. It would be the only way to get into the trunk other than a key. The trunk showed no damage of forced entry. American said they have security cameras in their lot. Why weren't they checked on the date the car was backed against a fence in their lot where there is plenty of gravel in order to rule out theft at their terminal? Obviously, American does not feel a responsibility to their customers. Security measures are lacking. DO NOT USE THEM. Please address this issue. Thank you.

Just shipped our customer's vehicle from NJ to HI. The first reservation never made it after 2 weeks of promised pickup date due to "no carriers around area", when we received several e-mails after reservation that there are "many" trucks in our area. On 2nd attempt, they raised the amount by $100, after we already signed the contract with previous rate. They picked up the car after 2-3 days after the promised dates. However, they didn't even bother to follow up or contact the receiving person after 4 days of arrival. So I had to track down and find out myself after 4 days of arrival. The person who calls after you make reservation sounds like he will do anything and everything. But once you make reservation, your customer service person seems to be missing... no phone call, no e-mail reply.... Please do yourself a favor. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!

Made a deal to have my car pickup in NC in Wednesday, Sept 18th (paid my deposit $150.00). Today Thursday, Sept 19th @ 9pm, I'm still waiting to have the car picked up!!

They shipped two of my autos, damaged both of them and refused to acknowledge that the damage was their fault. I took them to small claims court. Service is horrible. They ship so many cars that you can't get info on your vehicle. They don't return calls and are rude.

My husband and I have used this company numerous times and have never had such issues! Our car took 11 days to get from Ft. Lauderdale, FL to Quincy, MA. (It's put on a truck!) The mileage was up 1,000 miles, and the gas was down half a tank! There were TomTom marks on the windshied (I have navigation.), and I really can't be positive about the Ray Bans missing from the above compartment! When I called Canton to vent, the rude people yelled at me for not having my reservation number! Needless to say, Ft. Lauderdale blamed Canton, and Canton blamed Ft. Lauderdale! Never again. And I have a lot of friends, who will also choose another company next season!

I contacted American Auto Transporters a week before my move and had it all set up for my car to be picked up on the 7th of March 2012. They told me they would call two days before to let me know a driver was assigned. I never got the call, so I arranged for a friend to follow me on my move in towing my car.

I finally got a call from AAT on the 7th at 10:30 PM which told me they assigned a driver. I told them it was too late and just cancel. They told me that it was too late to cancel and that I would forfeit my deposit and they would charge my card $150. I laughed at the woman and told her that card was canceled, so they can't charge it. She then got angry and told me she was going to put a lien on my car. I laughed even harder as I know the law and without a signature on a contract and possession of the vehicle, you can't put a lien on anything. So that attempt at intimidation was pathetic. Avoid American Auto Transporters.

I shipped my car through American Auto Transporters, out of Canton, MA. When my car arrived, it had been transferred to a small truck, and had a dent in the fender, and 7 vertical scratches on the rear bumper. I followed the instructions for filing a claim. But American Auto refused to honor their agreement, and stated that only the truck driver was liable. He offered me $500 on a $1700 repair. I contacted American Auto again. They basically said they would not pay any claims. Do not believe your contract. American Auto can smash up your car as much as they want. And they will tell you to go find some random truck driver to deal with.

I purchased a late model Cadillac from eBay, from a dealer in Florida. I live in Arlington, MA, so I decided to go with a local auto transport service. I, (regretfully), decided to use American Auto Transporters, Inc. to do the job. They promised to pick the car up in Florida on March 31, 2006, and deliver it within 4 - 8 days. I phoned them every day for a progress report, and they kept telling 'the car is in transport and is on schedule'.

A week passed, no car. I called them and asked where the car was; they had no clue. Later that day the manager (Nick) called me back and told me that my car had never left the Florida dealership, But he didn't apologize, instead, HE BLAMED ME, claiming I should have known the car hadn't left Florida yet. "Most people know when their cars have left the terminal", he stated.

Next, he promised the car would be picked up in Florida on Monday, April 10, 2006, and that he would "expedite the car to me", so that it would arrive either Wednesday or Thursday, (April 12-13). Well guess what? Today it's late on April 13th and no car yet. I called American Auto Transporters again, and again they don't know where my car is. NO APOLOGIES, just an annoyed sounding "Nick" saying he will try to find out and call me back, or a totally clueless female secretary telling you lies about your car's whereabouts. Two and a half hours later, still no call. I called him, again, he doesn't know where the car is.

Do yourself a favor, AVOID AMERICAN AUTO TRANSPORTERS like the plague. Any company can make a mistake, but these people keep piling on lies to cover themselves, rather than apologize and be helpful.

Since I was relocating from Quincy MA to Long Beach CA, I contracted with American Auto Transporters to move my 2 cars. For sure I was promised the moon and the stars, answering with confidence that it will take a week to 10 days max to deliver each car. They insisted upfront payment by money order, which I did. Since we figured we will need a car in California and he promised that he has trucks leaving to California at least three times week, we delivered the first car 10 days before we leave then the second one on the day we flew out.

Needless to say three weeks passed by, while I am paying for car rental, and they did not deliver any of the cars or return my several calls. Then I get a call from a driver of another company (ARC transport, FL) who was clueless to any the details telling me American Auto Transports shipped both cars on the same day!! That is a week delay contrary to their strong promises of shipping in less than 24 hours.

The driver refused to deliver to my address claiming that his truck will "not fit" in the street - while we have 2 or 3 18-wheelers delivering all the time - and insisted on unloading the cars in a terminal 38 miles away from my home at a cost of $25 per car daily. Dealing with the carrier's office was another ordeal as John P, the owner needs a crash course in professionalism, manners and common sense.

As a consequence of this unprofessional, deceiving practice I ended up paying $300 more ($250 for extra week or car rental and $50 for storage car fees) in addition to the emotional and mental distress they put me and my family thru.

American Auto Transporters Company Profile