2. Homeowners
  3. Utilities

Michigan

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.26/5

Consumers Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumers Energy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumers Energy?

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

Apparently we had a gas leak at our meter. James knocked on our door and let us know that he was here to check our line. He was very friendly and efficient! If it hadn't been for consumers sending James out, things could have gone wrong. So thank you for being friendly and efficient and repairing a leak that could have had a horrible outcome! James certainly takes his job seriously and should be recognized for his friendliness!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

We purchased property and built a pole barn with a full bathroom and are living in an RV as we will be building a house soon. Because we do not currently have a house going in Consumers is charging us and extra $3000 to put in electric. They said we won't be using enough energy at this point and they need to make money. The amount could be refundable but most likely not, according to them.

We wanted to use Great Lakes Energy as they have much better ratings and were way less than half the cost of consumers, but consumers had a monopoly in our area and we had to ask permission from them to use Great Lakes, of course they said no way. So, we need electric so we has to pay out $5000!!! Now they keep putting off installing our service and actually did our neighbors' who bought their property months after we moved here, but they are putting a house up now, thus consumers sees $$ signs. We have no choice or recourse and this is completely wrong.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 13, 2020

Had a very high bill and when I called first thing they ask is if I had central air and then proceeded to blame it all on that, didn't matter that my bill was way higher then last year and I had a inground pool running last year, I asked them to come out and check the meter and they wouldn't even think of that, they say there is nothing wrong with their smart meter ever.

Original review: July 12, 2020

After several mailings and e-mails I decided to sign up for the peak power savings program. What a nightmare it has been. Two individuals arrived appearing to be sub contracted to hook up the device. They slid my unit out, and screwed into my siding the device to control my AC. The first time I we went to use our AC the following spring 2019 it was not blowing cold. We had to call a service who said our refrigerant was low. We paid over $200 to get it fixed.

We suffered through the summer being regulated from 3-7pm during very hot days. Our furnace would run constantly, but the AC compressor would be off. I find it hard to believe that this is energy saving, when the furnace runs constantly. The contract also makes you unable to cancel the service until after a year. I knew that we would be canceling, but had to wait out the contract. The second summer 2020 again our system was low on refrigerant when we tried to use it. Another $200 dollar charge to get the system fixed. We have never before this ever had a problem with our AC.

I called to have the service turned off, and was told that a technician would come out to remove the control box. The technician was at our home just getting finished. We spoke briefly to him about the problems we had, since the system had been put in. He was surprised, and said that there was no reason the compressor should have been moved. He left. We went inside only to find that now our compressor will not turn on period. We checked the fuses, the shut off, and it will not work. I called, and was told a technician would come out in 5-7 days. No, not acceptable, I ask to speak to a supervisor. When she finally called, she ask me if the compressor worked before he took the switch off. Really, did it work, of course it worked. She then told me she would personally put a rush order in, but that it would take 48hrs. This whole situation is out of control, and unacceptable. Customer service is definitely not a priority.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Consumers had a subcontractor clear cut trees in the name of line management. But they left all the stumps for me to deal with. It was on the edge of a field that the trees were removed. So now that the trees are removed I would like to make the "best of it" and mow the area. I called them a couple times asking when they would remove the stumps. "Consumers does not remove the stumps" they said. I asked them for a check so I can rent equipment to do it. "We don't do that either" I was told.

I've bent 3 mower blades because of the stumps. "Not our problem". I asked when they were going to removed the logs, that were left over. Same response "Consumers doesn't do that". I also asked about getting my smart meter removed. I was told $120 something fee to swap it out. My bill has double and a few times tripled since it was installed." It gives a better and more accurate reading" they said. But I'm not able to switch service providers. So I can only hope that sooner or later Consumers comes to its senses and doesn't try and screw the little guy. Until then I guess I better get high quality lube for whenever the I have to deal with them or the bill comes in. Because I'm getting screwed over here.

Original review: April 22, 2020

Annitra answered the phone and I could hear her on the line. She didn't respond to my hellos until I figured I was having bad cell reception and almost hung up. She did get her job done. However if I had the option I would not deal with there condescending attitudes. My questions were ignored, so long as she got the steps to her job completed she was ready not to help any further than that.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

At 2:30pm I realized my furnace had not run on 1/16/2019 since earlier that day. I called the 888-221-4429 number to place a service claim. I finally got a call back from Air Comfort at 3:14, and they wanted to schedule a service call the following morning. NOT THAT NIGHT. In January, with claims of 24/7 response, I feel I should have had a service that same night. I called Consumers back to switch service suppliers, they said that they "WOULD NOT". I had been paying for the service contract since 2011, and felt that I deserved more prompt response.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I had a new whole house generator installed in March 2019 and communicated with Consumers Energy the need for an upgraded meter. At that time they told me it would be coordinated at the time of my generator installation. Much to my dismay, it is now September 2019 and the project is still not done. Without getting into all the grim details, suffice it to say this organization needs a course on communication skills. Even though each representative that I spoke to was friendly and courteous, there was a complete breakdown of communication between design, installation, and restoration. They must have wasted thousands if not tens of thousands on the job due to lack of leadership and organizational skills.

To this date, there is still a gaping hole in the road next to my drive that was dug to access the line that is still not filled. Not only is this an eyesore, but it is a dangerous cavity in the street that could cause human injury. Very disappointed in their performance. I have followed up with calls on at least 25-30 occasions without resolution.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Kevin the gentleman who works for Consumers Energy was so amazing. He discussed what the reason he was at our house. Explained in detail. Beyond polite. And had genuine concern for our safety. We appreciate Consumers Energy and the employees who do an amazing job representing your company. Thank you. Keep up the great service that you provide.

Original review: July 21, 2019

The amount being a charger for electric and the response time on a power outage almost 24 hours later our area hasn't even been a success. If I had the choice I would never have Consumers Energy ever. The amount of money that we pay our service should have been repaired hours ago. OUR AREA HAS NOT BEEN ASSESSED EVEN YET!! WTF IS THE HOLD UP!! They'd rather be up restoring it in the woods instead of in a residential area! We pay enough to have thousands out fixing our power issues. This company is not prepared for **. You suck Consumers Energy. Worst powerservice ever!!!!

Consumers Energy Company Information