1.54/5
Based on 35 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

Michigan

299 Consumers Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2018

My gas meter was shut off. I had no idea why. I didnt even realize it at first. I noticed some things not working. I tried fixing several things then finally realized the gas was shut off. I double checked that I paid my bill. I had. I am on auto pay. So we thought maybe the neighborhood kids were messing around. We turned it back on ourselves. We had no notification on our door that there was an issue. Fast forward on our way to work the next morning we found a green tag in our driveway from Consumers Energy that our gas had been shut off. No reason why.

I called and was told that my meter had been changed. No phone call that they would be out. No appointment made. No nothing. Just shut off my gas. If I'm late on a bill they call but shutting off my gas is no reason to call. I worked 14 hours that day and got home at 11pm at night. This is what I came home to. I am furious. How dare they shut off my gas with no attempt to reach me. I want an explanation. This is business policy is completely unacceptable to me. I am a hard working good paying customer. I have earned a phone call.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Bills are misleading... if you over pay and are on the budget plan, your bill will show a credit where one doesn't even exist... By the time all is said and done your final bill on budget plan could potentially be 3 times your normal fee. Customer service and its "supervisor" ** are EXTREMELY CONDESCENDING. Guess I pay the 342 because Consumers is a monopoly...no other gas company to choose from.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2018

An absolute scam. I am being charged 3x what I was charged last year. There has been no changes in the household. If anything, I have tried harder to use LESS electricity and this is the result. I now owe $450 to consumers, with this month showing as "on track" to be the same. Absolutely ridiculous. They need to be investigated.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Our electric bills have more than doubled with the smart meter! We aren't even home most of the time and our bill is $230 just for electric. The excuse Consumers gave me was that my appliances run harder during bad weather... What? Why was this never an issue before?!? They are not doing anything to help us. We are on an extremely tight budget and this hurts.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Ridiculous! Supposedly the rental home had 3 issues that it showed someone tampered with it. One before the electricity was turned on and 2 when it was on and in my name between tenants. They won't check to see if the neighbors electric was turned off. They won't do anything but tell me I have to pay a $129 bill! This monopoly of a company is ridiculous! Fraudulently charging people and told me that if I wanted proof I could subpoena them for their records! WTH? The "Smart" meter is outside on the side of the house clearly it makes no sense for landlord to mess with a house that is empty with the power on and in their name.

Investigations my **! They must need to make a little money to pay the taxes that are due for 2017 so they send out a bunch of phony bills! They said it happened 3 times, the first being 10 months ago yet I was never made aware and the last time was almost 8 months ago and now they just randomly decided to send me a bill for "investigations". This company is a scam and a half.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumers Energy?

Original review: March 7, 2018

I moved into a 795 sq. ft. apartment in February and February's bill was almost $300. The highest I've had this thermostat is 70 degrees and ever since I got this bill I've kept it in between 66-68 degrees and it's still going to be almost $200 estimated. I don't buy that this is a weather issue at all. I've talked to others and saw the other reviews on here. Consumers Energy needs to look at their practices because something is wrong with what they are doing. Unacceptable.

Original review: March 1, 2018

The rate cost is so high, a person can't have the home warm during winter months. You have to have a blanket wrap around you just to keep warm because you're on a very limited income to live on every month.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

It’s ok just the way it is, I’ve got no complaints on the company. They always come out to do their job no matter what it takes day or night and it don’t matter what time it is.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Consumers Energy is very helpful to me. I receive a report each month that compares my energy used to those around me and rates the amount of energy I use.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Yesterday, we got the smart meter installed in our house from consumers energy, and since then, I am having trouble with the wifi, this creates problems as I work from home some days... has anyone has his problem too? I am also reading in the internet the potential health issues with the smart meters (as apparently, they emit strong burst of radiofrequency every few seconds all the time)... anyone has more information about this? Besides the potential health issues, the security risk and the interference with wifi and other electronics, it seems that many people is complaining with bills coming 3-4 times higher than past winters... why are we the consumers obligated to use this system, and how can we remove it?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

They came out when we needed service and fixed everything. That was a great thing to have happen. I feel better about them since then. We have been with them a while now and plan on staying.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

My utility company is Consumers Energy. I live on a fixed income and sometimes I get behind in my bill and when I do, I've always gotten a solution to solve my problem. They have many options to choose from, makes life easier for the people who live on fixed incomes.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

After finding my bill was impossibly almost 3Xs higher than my winter normal (I am almost never home and Cons. only provides my electric), I called. They chalked it up to weather and every time I countered their statements, another obvious load of steaming crap was pulled from the pile of scripts. When I was told I have a smart meter, I pointed out the recent issues surrounding them. That was apparently the final straw because she did not even try to change her reasonings. It was my fault for having the heat too high (UNDER 70° 80% of the day, at most 71° the rest of the short time) and the cold temps. Oh, and only 2 1/2 weeks into the billing month, apparently my next bill is ALREADY AT ALMOST FOUR TIMES MY WINTER NORMAL! This month has been twice as warm as last!

After finding my bill was impossibly almost 3Xs higher than my winter normal (I am almost never home and Cons. only provides my electric), I called. They chalked it up to weather and every time I countered their statements, another obvious load of steaming crap was pulled from the pile of scripts. When I was told I have a smart meter, I pointed out the recent issues surrounding them. That was apparently the final straw because she did not even try to change her reasonings. It was my fault for having the heat too high (UNDER 70° 80% of the day, at most 71° the rest of the short time) and the cold temps. Oh, and only 2 1/2 weeks into the billing month, apparently my next bill is ALREADY AT ALMOST FOUR TIMES MY WINTER NORMAL!! This month has been twice as warm as last!!

Note: my gas is provided by Semco, not Consumers. I have lived here for six years and I have never had an electric bill this high. Customer service was a useless a bunch of parrots who all repeat the same things they were scripted: it's because of the cold and the customer's faults in some obscure way. Insulting, condescending, and feels like outright theft.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I requested a smart meter not be installed but they installed it anyway. My bill has increased. My daughter and son moved out and the bill has more than doubled. My house is 1050sq ft and my bill is $509 for two months. I have DTE gas and this is more than July when we ran the air because of record heat.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

3-4 years ago I bought a home from an out of state investor and we sent them the money and they gave us the combination to the lock on the door. They told us to have the water turned on but the power was left on as a courtesy. Come to find out the water service line was busted and the company knew about it so we moved. Now 3 years later after getting ahead by 2 months on my Consumers bill to be ready for layoff I'm booted off the protection plan and told I'm gonna get turned off in 2 weeks for an illegal turn on. I have 2 small children in my home and no income due to layoff. I did not hook it up nor do I know how. I'm not an electrician. Then when asking for the date it was hooked up they gave me a ten month span of time. They won't let me make payments or postpone it long enough to fight it.

Meter readers check your meter monthly so why can't they give me a more specific time frame. Then to give me 2 weeks to prove my innocence when you guys took 3-4 years is ridiculous. It would take two weeks just to get my old lease. I have paid my bill religiously for the past year to get my deposit back after 6 months. Well 6 months went by and I called to get my deposit and was told I couldn't have it back. So a year went by and I called to ask about it again and the lady told me I should have gotten it back 6 months ago. I was told when I paid it that it would come back with interest. I only got the original amount back and nobody can tell me anything except, "You should have gotten the interest."

I have been lied to repeatedly and when I show them the recordings (I record every call now because of Consumers) they say, "Oh. That tech was misinformed," and won't stick to what the tech said or even take responsibility. You guys say you're not a monopoly because you can use a generator but when I tried that the city inspector came out and said, "No. You can't use it in city limits except an emergency." You guys are a joke and shouldn't have the power to disrupt people's lives and need somebody to oversee them. Grrr.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

After installing the "smart meter" our bill has steadily increased. We spent $$$ on energy saving bulbs for all the lights and keep the propane heat at 62 and the bill just keeps rising. We need another choice for electric.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I've owned my house for 4 years and NEVER has an electric bill over 250. This month it was $650. I called and asked about it and the women told me I was a liar and I used the most energy on Christmas Day. I WASN'T EVEN HOME CHRISTMAS DAY. She then again called me a liar and said her computer doesn't lie. I stated that they could add my previous 2 bills up and they still wouldn't total $650 and her reply was, "Well this was the coldest month we have had in years and years." Guess I didn't realize that it never gets cold in Michigan except for this year huh. Ever since they put these smart meters on, my bill went up but nothing like this. I only heat 2 rooms in a small ranch style house, no possible way this bill should be this high but what makes me the maddest is the fact that the customer service won't even attempt to help. Absolutely ridiculous.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I called Consumers this morning to find out why our bill has more than doubled since the smart meter was installed. Was told we have electric heaters and an oxygen tank and an electric fireplace. First of all we don't, but even if we did how would they know that? Disturbing, I told her we didn't have those things, and she got very rude telling me we were using almost 4,800 kw and we are being charged 4.77 per kw for distribution which totaled to be 226 on top of our bill for 436.

She says I can't opt out of smart meter without paying 129 for removal, I said, "Well I didn't ask for it to begin with so why I should I pay for it?" She said very rudely that she didn't care if we didn't want it that we have to pay to have it removed. Overpricing, not answering direct questions and blaming consumers for supposedly overusing electricity even though we haven't changed habits. I want answers as to why they have such control without being punished? They run a monopoly and are getting away with it.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

Consumers Energy is a joke. They charged me $530 Dollars for one month. Constant complaints, and overcharging customers. Yet nothing is done to help the public. We need to demand a investigation. This goes on far too often. So many customer complaints, how are they still able to run like this.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

You guys are crooks. How can my bill jump over $200 in one month? I have lived in my home for 14 years and it's always been consistent until last month. I along with everyone else in the area you are ** need an explanation.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

We have lived in our home for two years and just received a bill that was 150 more than any other bill we have ever had. No explanation other than the cost of getting the power to the consumer has gone up and when asked if it’s from the new smart meters they wouldn’t comment or even acknowledge the question.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I recently bought my first home and I called consumers to have my service transferred. They requested that I fax over notarized copies of my license, social security card, and proof I purchased the home. I had to send fax them 4 different times because they said it wasn't good enough. I have been calling them almost every day and the one time I called they got me for $600 from a bill owed 6 years ago that just happened to show up on my account. Now they're telling me that they can’t accept my proofs and called me a liar saying I am not who I say I am.

This has been going on since the end of November. The middle of December I receive a letter stating my gas is on along with a bill. I called them back and they opened an account for me but never turned my gas on. I have 3 kids ages 3, 4, and six and they refuse to turn service on when I have paid every month since 2009 and never gotten shut off. I’m at a loss on what to do. I have sent them everything they requested and even paid the $600 and nothing. I have contacted the local news and submitted several complaints. Does anyone have any suggestions for my family. I don't know why they're treating me like this.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Shut my power off by accident and said it was even their fault, but kick me off payment plan anyway! Finally came out and turned it back on for me but then 4 days later I get a letter in the mail saying that they wanted me to pay over $5,000 within 2 weeks or they were going to shut it off.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

1. Consumers billed us for months, somehow with no account set up, while we were in a temporary home due to a tree falling on our house. When we tried to pay, we couldn't because they had no account to for us to accept payment. 2. Most winter months show usage between $0-$5 - in Michigan. 3. They gave us a payment plan of $900/mth plus usage that, knowingly, we could not meet. 4. They would not review our erroneous billings. 5. I have 4 children - 2 of which are ill. 6. I am a Karmanos client. 7. We are poverty level. 8. They will not turn our heat back on or help us.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Completely ** over charging me, on bills I already paid. Only sent 2 bills claimed they sent 3. Was enrolled in a payment plan and was told today I was deferred out of it, wasn't even 24 hours late on a bill and was charged over $20. People are rude and no help, I paid over $40 extra and still got slapped with a statement of overdue by $63 when the bill was originally only $72. I paid $23 then $25 then $41 on the installment dates now claiming I owe $63+ in overdue fees.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

First snow of the year 2017, October 31. Power outage 2hrs??? It's 1pm in Mancelona, MI. Men communicate with satellites past Mars, Consumers Ele. CAN'T find the switch for electricity for our homes. People with life or death issues in the home are screwed. Hope life insurance policies are paid up. Scientists need to replace these IDIOTS that run the Electric Co. SHAMELESS **.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

They have put off twice hooking up our natural gas. Both times they have promised it would be done and now they are telling us next year. They will not return calls and they have already cashed our check. The only time they have called is when they have a person contact us that has no authority. We have registered a complaint with them and still no response. Totally disgusted and time to contact our state representative.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Just contacted MPSC. Consumers Energy should be ashamed of themselves. 900 sf home $180 bill. I'm tired of paying this. Costs. Charge for making electricity. Charge for delivering. Charge for billing. Charge for low income. Charge for Plant Sanitization. Charge for programs that they tell me I cannot participate in because I don't have gas with them. Then let's tax all this. EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE OPTIONS... Was told I do not. They are the only ones who supply electricity to my home. Looks like they can do what they want.

Consumers Energy response: "I apologize for your frustrations and I would be happy to have a customer care representative contact you. Please send a private message with your address and phone number. Thank you." My response: "I appreciate your response but all you're going to do is try to pacify me, break down the bill, and try to explain the costs... That doesn't do anything for me. My point is the charging system, cost, and the monopoly you have. If you can significantly reduce my bill then we can have a conversation... Until then I'm going to continue to bring attention to this problem." GUESS WHAT... HAVEN'T HEARD FROM THEM!!!

Original review: July 27, 2017

My husband and I moved and called to transfer service to our new place. We were living with friends in a rental. 8 months later we get a $586 bill "for our convenience", they never shut off gas at old place so they just stuck us with 8 months of a water heater running. Place has since sold and landlord disappeared and out of touch. DTE changed their system so we cannot get last light bill from friends to show even that was shut off as well. They will not respond to questions like "Why was it on and unpaid for EIGHT months before being caught? Anyone else would be cut off after two" and "I know you can tell it's the same amount every month and the usage is WAY lower compared to the year before". When I asked "Why would we leave the gas on in an empty house where no one lives". I'm told "People do all kinds of things for all sorts of reasons".

We have found that our representative who took the call was not at fault in this situation." But the call was not recorded. Basically was told to deal with it. They cut off the gas at our new place when they came to this conclusion with no notice. It looks like it will cost around $1000 to convert the place to all electric. I'll freeze to death first.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I'm wondering how it's legal for consumers energy to install a smart meter on our home, without our permission, and now want to charge us $123.91 to remove it, not to mention an extra fee per month to have the old meter read. These meters are not safe, there are all kinds of health hazards associated with them, as well as a fire hazard... This is like highway robbery, and they're getting away with it. Shouldn't they have had to ASK us if we wanted one of these meters BEFORE installing it when we weren't even home?

Consumers Energy Company Information