1.25/5

Need a utility company?

Michigan

Need a utility company?

320 Consumers Energy Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Kevin the gentleman who works for Consumers Energy was so amazing. He discussed what the reason he was at our house. Explained in detail. Beyond polite. And had genuine concern for our safety. We appreciate Consumers Energy and the employees who do an amazing job representing your company. Thank you. Keep up the great service that you provide.

Original review: July 21, 2019

The amount being a charger for electric and the response time on a power outage almost 24 hours later our area hasn't even been a success. If I had the choice I would never have Consumers Energy ever. The amount of money that we pay our service should have been repaired hours ago. OUR AREA HAS NOT BEEN ASSESSED EVEN YET!! WTF IS THE HOLD UP!! They'd rather be up restoring it in the woods instead of in a residential area! We pay enough to have thousands out fixing our power issues. This company is not prepared for **. You suck Consumers Energy. Worst powerservice ever!!!!

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I've had the unfortunate experience of having Consumers Energy since 2002. The power goes out consistently so much that I have been given a credit due to the frequency of the outages. Their engineers are incompetent. Their phone system is intentionally difficult to navigate. They spent 43.5 million dollars on political campaigns but can't keep the power on. Call the Michigan Public Service Commission and file complaints and get this company as much as you can.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I built my home alongside of Consumers Energy power lines and bought property across the road that the same lines cross. We had a fire a couple of weeks ago caused by a tree falling on the wires, fortunately the DNR, FD and Consumers Energy responded quickly and limited the damage to a couple of acres. Consumers quickly sent out a crew from Asplundh to remove any other threats. Also would like to thank Asplundh for sending out a great crew (Dan ** and Mike his supervisor). They were very respectful of me and my property.

Original review: May 30, 2019

They came through in November 2018 to mark and cut/trim trees. Then the February 2019 ice storm hit in Michigan. The trees that were not marked because "hardwood trees don't split", split and broke my power pole and took power out for multiple homes. Once the Line supervisor got to my house, he said my house was the worst hit out of everyone. Took 3 trucks and 8 hours to get restored. The company to cut trees were already here and wouldn't have taken any time to cut them down. It isn't like I can cancel Consumers Energy and go through another company. I am stuck. So I contacted the Better Business Bureau. The forestry guy came back out and said that he will cut only one tree. That company is here now cutting the one tree and said they feel that more than one of the trees need to be taken down but it isn't their call, the forestry supervisor knows all.

I have lost power since February 5 times for hours on end. The rate should be reduced due to quality of delivering to its customers. I was told that they want 10 feet of clearing around the lines and poles. I have some that are 4 feet away. Forestry supervisor says, "We are throwing the dice to see what is more cost effective." What is more cost effective is taking care of your customers, bottom line! So, now, I told him I will have the line taken down and cut the trees myself since he is too afraid to use money to better my service quality. I have to use my resources and my money to take the trees that would stop my service and others around me because, well, frankly, he is too lazy... Consumers Energy Forestry Division in Grand Rapids, MI.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumers Energy?

Original review: April 25, 2019

Energy has always been somewhat expensive but ever since we've gotten our smart meter our bills have gone through the roof. Bills have been so expensive that we shut all of our power off during the day in the summer and our bills are still over $200 a month! A few months ago our bills were significantly smaller so we just assumed that our prayers had been answered and they were finally charging a fair amount for the electricity we were using.

Turns out that whoever installed our smart meter did it wrong and the meter wasn't accurately reading how much energy we were using. Instead of taking the fall for the accident they wanted to blame us for tampering with it. Well if you didn't know, you can't mess with the meter because if you try it will trigger something that sends an employee out right away. They are terrible at dealing with customers.

We aren't rude people and we don't disrespect their employees, so it's sad when they disrespect us. They also act like they are all high and mighty when walking onto our property. We live in the country and they parked on the side of our road and walked onto a random spot on our property! Didn't even bother driving into our driveway that was open with two entrances! It's a big deal because we have dogs who are protective, and while they probably wouldn't hurt anyone we don't want to risk euthanization because of careless Consumers Energy employees. I can only hope that there will be a better company to go through in the near future. If you can I would avoid consumers energy at all costs. They are entitled money hungry people who are disrespectful to their customers and their property.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Consumers cut down trees on our property that could have just been trimmed. They took them right down to the ground. Effectively destroying our windbreak. Then they want us to turn down the heat. Lmao. Um no. I won't do anything to help this company out after the disregard they showed me.

Original review: March 13, 2019

They must not want their money until they get to ** you with fees. To begin, I am not from this state. I was under the impression DTE was our gas and Electric. Nope. Six months in this place not a single bill. Landlord hasn’t said anything to us. Power worked fine. One day power was off called DTE boom... They aren’t our provider for electric. Imagine that. SIX MONTHS LATER.

SO. I call. I get this girl who cannot even comprehend the words coming out of my mouth. I work in customer service (on the phone in particular) so I am laughing trying to make light of it because it ain’t her fault. But lord have mercy was she dumb. D-U-M-B DUMB. Whatever. She gets my info, gives me some number. Says nothing about how much we owe and then says I’ll get a bill backdated (only 3 months or so) for us to pay via email and mail. We got nothing. So I go online and it don’t work. I am very busy. I forgot. My bad.

Come home to no power. Okay, call and sort it out. They never changed the account. So my roommate gives them his info... Send him to another person to pay. They can’t take payment without an account number. They send him to another department they say he’s never been entered in... What? Okay maybe it takes more than 20 min. He goes to the automated payment thing. It hangs up after taking payment. We call back. WAIT 45 min! They still never updated the damn account. Wtf?! Now we have fees and ** to pay and we have sat in the dark for over an hour waiting and we paid an hour ago.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Twice we called regarding our outage. One person told us that's what homeowner's insurance is for, the other one told us to go buy a generator. We have reported a particular spot on our street that is problematic. It is the same spot every time we lose power where they fix it. Obviously it requires maintenance. 7 people were told. Still no resolution.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Had a Smart meter installed in April 2018. I have both autopay and no paper bills so haven't paid any attention to my Consumer's Energy costs until yesterday. To my horror, the readings have remained the same since the installation. Contacted Consumers and was told that a meter reader had come out in December 2018, my guess is that they knew at that time that there was something amiss. Well, guess what? It's is February 2019 and the meter today still shows the same reading from April 2018! When I called they said that they will see why the meter isn't transmitting the readings and that they will "work with me" regarding the billing. I was trying to look online at my detailed bills from 2017 and they are not available, only the amount paid. More reasons for me to start up paper bills once again.

Consumers Energy Company Information