Consumers Energy

Michigan

Compare Utility Companies

Research top Utility Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Apparently it's fully acceptable and even commendable for customer service reps at Consumers Energy to insult clients. The representative went as far as low-blowing me about being a parent!!

Well over the last 6 months my bill has doubled and at first I was trying to figure it out but wasn't too concerned. Now it's been 6 months and I pay my bill every month and pay the amount due but over the last 6 months my bill has been roughly around 275 dollars!!?? And when I call Consumers and try and figure out why they say I need to use the energy saving tips on their website. Well I have changed everything in my house to energy saver. Then a month ago we started having power surges and they sent out a tech and he found corrosion on the line connected to my house. The tech informed me we were using 12 volts on the left side of our meter and said so pretty much you are running your house off a car battery right now. Then when I get the bill this month after the line is fixed my bill is less than half it was last month!!!

Then I call Consumers and ask them, "Since the line was bad am I responsible for this big bill you keep sending me?" Their response was, "We will have a tech come and check the lines and make sure our equipment is running correctly but anything that has to do with the lines has nothing to do with your bill." So after the lines were fixed my bill just mystically goes down, conveniently.

Consumers always say they do all these donations to charities and programs but what they don't say in their commercials is that they are trying to take as much money as they can from their customers to pay for the charity work they do so it doesn't come out of their pockets! Job well done Consumers Energy for another unpleased customer!!! CONGRATULATIONS you've done it again! But unless we relocate you will get your money and continue to have the power of ripping off low to middle class families. Merry Christmas to all of you. I will pray that you may be considerate one day and that karma doesn't come back on you. Good day!

This all really begins over three years ago when I lived out in the middle of nowhere with my fiance and our daughter. We always paid our bill (which was quite high for such a small house, but we assumed it was because it was so poorly insulated). After reading some of the accounts on here I wish we would have paid closer attention to our bill. Sometimes a little late, but we never received a shut off notice. When we moved in the middle of winter, it was pretty hectic and since we were staying with his parents until our house was ready, I didn't have to bother with utilities and, my fault, I forgot to call and have it switched out of my name for about a week.

I called and spoke with a representative and was informed that my bill was close to $1000. I was stunned. We knew we had one more bill coming and that we had yet to pay the current bill, but we were expecting a $250-$350 bill, not $1000! We assumed that the landlord came to the house and ran up a bunch of gas and electricity while it was still in my name, but I wish I would have examined the bill a little more closely when it arrived. I have been sent into collections because I can't pay that and I am not able to make payments on that balance, so I'm hoping they don't add it to our Consumer's account at our current address and make it my fiance's problem to deal with.

So now our current situation. I am sitting here in my dining room freezing with no gas, no heat, no hot water, the day before Thanksgiving. We were shut off yesterday around 5pm. Shut off and denied access to heat on the first really cold night of the year with two young children in the house. We paid the amount necessary to have service restored last night, but it was past 5pm, so no one was available to come restore service and it will be done first thing in the morning.

It has not yet been turned back on. They wasted no time shutting us off and allowing us to freeze, but they are sure going to take their time getting over here and turning us back on. All over $140 by the way. We're not into the thousands or anything. Just $140 bucks. That's all it takes to have them shut off your gas while you sit there worrying about whether or not your kids are warm enough or if your pipes are going to burst. It's just not fair. Yes we let our bill get behind, but only a month. I just wish they were as determined to restore people's gas as they are about shutting it off.

I have been fighting with Consumers Energy for over a year now. I let relatives stay at my property. When they left they left a bill that was not too high but high. When I returned to the property to restore power Consumers tells me I'm responsible for the bill on the house because I own and I benefited from the power. What power? There is no power. What am I benefiting from? So I go and attempt to get help with the bill because they have now added $1900 in late fees from it not being paid. I get the help. They talk to Consumers and work it out where I can pay some, they pay some and the power is restored. Well we paid what was asked and now they are saying that not good enough. They want another $2300 before they will turn on the power. Consumers refuses to work with or help anyone. I'm going to go to congress with this and see if they can help me.

I am a consumer of Consumers Energy almost for the last 10 years and paying for appliance protection plan for last 7 years. Last week, for the first time I have to ask for their service as my furnace was off. I ended up with totally low standard services by the Consumers Energy third party services. Ended up taking couple of half days off from work and one half day for my wife as well to complete this service. My understanding is, Consumers Energy trying to use their name to sign up people for this protection plan, getting the money in their pocket, sub-contracting to a low cost servicing party that does a very poor job.

Consumers Energy don't care at all as I struggled to reach a customer service manager to understand what's going on with my case. I have paid enough over the years for the protection plan that brought additional sufferings only. Without the plan, I could call a local professional and with very less time and money my furnace could be up and running. Found no reason to buy protection plan from Consumers Energy and if possible not buying energy from them as well. No wonder why Consumers Energy is rated so low in this forum.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumers Energy?

I am beyond frustrated with Consumers. I own a business and a home and use them for both and keep having horrible assistance! I pay my bills on time and am absolutely fed up with them! Called to set up a payment plan for winter and I was told cannot take payments over the phone. And she was RUDE about how if I own a business I should not have to be making a payment plan. From the business side I have always been able to make payment over the phone and never have had an issue with setting up a payment plan. Cannot believe how rude my representatives have been over the past few months and I wish there was another company in my area to switch to.

This utility company is the absolute worst, most disorganized of any I have previously dealt with. Payments plan is offered and then retracted once a payment is made. They continue to harass me with overdue and disconnection notices even though a payment arrangement was already in place. Nightmare from hell.

I was a customer of Consumers for 2 years in an apartment I shared. The rates varied greatly and the customer service reps never gave me a direct answer of why this would happen when we lived consistently the same way. Upon the end of our lease at the apartment Consumers continued to bill us despite the fact our lease had ended and we had provided them with a proof of the end of our lease. We had to pay two more bills than we should of, and threatened to send our bills to collections during the period of time we spent trying to get the issue resolved. If you have the opportunity to use another company, I would recommend that you do so!

We purchased the insurance for our appliances over the phone and never received any notification of the coverage. Recently, we had a problem with our refrigerator and we called Consumers Energy. They sent an electrician: he came by, listened to us, didn't made any diagnostic, and left in 5 min. He didn't know what the problem was, and told that he'll be calling us. We waited almost two weeks for his call, and had to call back again to customer service.

They promised to send somebody different, but never did. When we called the third time, Consumers Energy representative simply told us that this problem does not cover by insurance. (They even didn't know the actual problem). We are very disappoint the way they treat their clients. Would never recommend to buy their insurance. It's a waste of money. We found a private company - very reliable. They came by in two days after we called them. The same day they determine the problem and changed the part that was broken. We paid them $180.

I have been behind on my electic bill. I noticed that my meter was not working correctly. So I called Consumers on it they said they would have to prorate my bill for a few months. The meter was changed and they doubled my bill. You can't fight them, I was wrong for trying. They said that is what I would have used. So now my bill is $2500 approx. I set up the shut off protection plan with them. Great, I thought and had my bills sent to my email.

Well Consumers DID NOT put in the correct email and the following month I contacted them again this time I was told I was taken off the shut off protection plan and I needed to pay the whole bill. So because of something that was their fault I have my electricity shut off. I support 6, there is not a way I could. But I was allowed 1 medical emergency extension. Great. Well I tried to get help from all the agencies in Lenawee County. Not one place could help. I make too much for DHS help but on my income taxes I am below poverty level. I have no one to help. So now I am without electric and a bill for $3500.00. Not a happy consumer.

The ONLY reason I am using Consumers energy is because I have to through my landlord. Otherwise, I would not be using this ** company. Their online services are probably the worst I have ever seen. It has logged me out of my account saying my information does not match their records, even though it is the correct information. Over the past week, I have been on hold with them for close to four hours. Then when you finally get through to someone, you receive the worst customer service. These people are rude and do not know what they are talking about. They will take a ton of your information, then transfer you to someone else where you have to repeat your information all over again. Worst customer service. Worst wait times on phones. WORST COMPANY. Avoid if at all possible.

Waited a full week to hear back from an email I wrote Consumers after depleting my minute plan trying to fix a second default from Payment Protection Scam Plan. The answer was that, ignoring the fact it wasn't our fault for the missed payment, and disregarding the fact they ran us around and gave us false information. Disabled single mom with 2 special needs kids on strict disability. They won't work at all to arrange a payment plan nor offer any advice - just that we will be turned off Monday sometime after 2pm. Could care less that I was victim of ** just prior to the due date and wasn't in any mindset to deal with much for a week and a half - even provided the prosecutor's case number and other proof of special circumstances - they could care less and will end up driving one more nail in my coffin. When will someone do something about this? I'm in tears...I just want to get back on the plan...I can pay...SMH.

I am separated from my husband and the light bill in his name. He owes a bill for $9000 dollars. Consumer power add later charge on every month of $250 dollars. I am a mother of one handicap daughter. She on a vent and o2. She need her lift electric wheelchair. They won't put the bill in my name and now they are going to shut my light off due to his bill. No one can help with that big of a bill. I try to get on payment plan. We only make 730 a month. I need help. Don't know what to do... any help.

My mom is an insulin dependent diabetic. She's almost 70 years old, disabled. She's had 2 strokes. She forgets things, which is why I am currently paying her bills. Recently she had her electricity shut off by Consumers and I got it restored and set her up in their payment plan to keep her electricity on. Well, we missed a payment because my mom had to have surgery and stayed in an inpatient facility for physical therapy for 2 weeks. I sent an email to Consumers and explained what happened, told them I was making a payment the same day, which I did. I received a nasty email back stating that my mom missed a payment and she now has to pay her full bill or she would be shut off again and they won't work with her on a payment plan again. Nice, right?

So lo and behold, on August 1, 2016, they shut her off. It's incredibly hot, her insulin can't be refrigerated and so she can't take her insulin, which is causing her sugars to get way too high. I appeal to DHS, denied, call St Vincent DePaul, they won't take more calls for another week. Contact several churches, and not one responds. Commission on Aging will help with $200, but that won't get her service restored. All we wanted was to stay in the payment program. We were TRYING to pay the bill, but they refused to continue working with us. I bet if my mom dies or ends up in a diabetic coma they'll start to care.

For the last several years Consumers Energy has really caused me a lot of problems, and headache because of many things. These things include not returning phone calls, overcharging for services, claiming payments weren't made, and estimating usage far beyond the set amount of times that are allowed. On multiple occasions the employee who is supposed to read the meter has pulled into my driveway, sat there, and then left when the meter is on the other side of the house. Their excuse was there was a fence across the only access to the meter. This is absolutely not true for 2 reasons. The first being there isn't, and has never been a fence where they were claiming, and the second is that they could have walked the long way around the house to get to the meter.

This caused consumers to claim that I used almost 14000 kwh in the month of Feb 2014. When you try to contact Consumers Energy to correct problems you either can't talk to a person because they have everything automated with a system that is very poorly designed, or when you do talk to an employee they are very rude, and seem only to care about how you are going to pay the bill, even if the bill is wrong, and you can prove it. This last issue is that they are threatening to shut me 8 days before the bill is due. They are the only electric utility company in the area, and therefore have a monopoly on the area, and can charge, and do whatever they want in their minds. This is not right, and if there is a way to change it, then it should be changed.

On Wednesday, July 27, 2016 around 4 P.M. I spoke with Stacy in customer service, number **, regarding the fact that our bill has gone up from 176.00 per month to 318.00 each month. We have been on the Shutoff Protection Plan for around two years now so that we can afford to have service with this company. We live in Kingsley, MI and they are the only electricity provider in the area. Stacy said that our actual bill is $264.78 and due to the fact that we have a past due balance of 1184.95 since the "protection plan" actually charges 250.00 per month, but we've consistently paid 176.00 for years now. So, Stacy rudely and coldly explained that there is nothing they can do. I became frustrated and requested to speak with a manager. She told me that she could have her call me back, but refused to let me speak with her right away.

Stacy stated that our bill amount will be 318.00 for the next six months, then it will change again. She said that the only thing that could be done is to call 211 and get assistance paying the bill. When I told her there was no funding in our area, she remained cold and rude. I further explained that I have a pending disability case and no income, and that my fiance is on disability so we are on a limited budget. I also explained that I use a breathing machine, and I need electricity. She said she would have a manager call, there was nothing she could do and the manager would support her claims.

An hour later, a supervisor called and spoke with my fiance, Sean **. The conversation went as expected. She (no name given), went over the bill with him and she was quite rude. He explained that there is no way our bill should be this high, and that CE customers are being monopolized. She said "This is not true, and if you really wanted services changed you could do something about it."

He explained that they are the only provider in our area, so she suggested that if we were serious about not having CE there were things we can do, implying that we move. He explained that we cannot move because we are on section 8 and this home is our only option. We were floored by the lack of care for the customer with this company. The final "fix" was this lady telling us to pay 176.00 this month, then don't pay the rest. They will send a shut off and we can have can organization pay a portion, go back on the plan again, just to go through this ordeal again. How is this acceptable?

I filed an online complaint about Consumers Energy's erroneous billing, and unresponsiveness with your agency on May 25th, 2016. My complaint stated: "In the last 12 months I paid an average $81.86/month, which is on the high end (based upon the last 5 years at this address) of what I actually use for my 1 bedroom ~700 ft2 home with NO WASHER/DRYER, NO DISHWASHER, no air conditioning, water softener run 1 time per month, heat at 55F all winter and I work so no usage from 7am - 6pm and I seldom cook!! Now they are sending me another bill for $368!! When I checked the website a week ago it showed I had overpaid and had a credit. There is no way I owe nearly $400!!!"

Apparently Ms. ** didn't read the complaint, but accepted the BS explanation given by CE's representative that they couldn't check my meter because of a dog!! There has NEVER BEEN an outside dog, all they need to do is open the gate and walk up to the house. Again, I state their billing me addition $440.59 is an overbilling of nearly 45%!!!

Of course CE never reflected the $50 credit for the confusion when I entered a payment plan for 8 weeks while trying to correct this mess. The contract which never arrived in the mail, and an online payment option was turned off so I was stuck paying their $6.25 fee for a phone payment. Perhaps I should send you all a bill for my time. Please clear this up without further delay.

I was on a shutoff protection plan of $62 per month. I have made all payments on time each month. The last month I made a payment of $62 on the 15th of the month and another payment of $62 on the 30th of the month. CE told me that any payments applied before the due date would not be credited to the next month's payment. They still expected me to pay my $62 for the next month even though I made a double payment the previous month. Because of this I was told that I defaulted on the SPP. My services were shut off.

I offered to pay the balance due on my account to restore services, which was $220. CE told me I would have to pay a total amount of $420, $200 more than what my bill was. I should only have to pay my past due balance not an extra $200. I filed a complaint against them, which caused the representative that I spoke with to become very rude and disrespectful. So even though my bill has been paid, I still have no electricity. I was told to either pay the next see a $200 or wait until the complaint board settled my dispute.

For over sixteen years Consumers Energy/CMS was contacted by us regarding a gas leak in my home. Each time a CE/CMS employee came, he walked with his meter around the basement and stated: "NO gas leak, see the meter does NOT show a leak". I asked "Can't you smell the rotten egg/cabbage odor?" and again the CE/CMS employee would state the meter does not show a gas leak and refused to answer my question. They would then add: "Don't worry, the gas won't hurt you." This same thing happened every time they came. I was getting sicker and sicker with many unusual medical problems that Doctors could not diagnose, as the regular tests came back as normal. When you live in the atmosphere of Mercaptan, the rotten egg/cabbage odor, you become immune to the smell.

In April 2009 a neighbor came to borrow a tool. He smelled the gas and demanded I call CE/CMS. The CE/CMS employee did the exact same thing, stating "no gas leak." My neighbor demanded that the CE/CMS employee find the leak and not leave my home until he did. After following the gas line to a connection in the gas line, the meter hit the highest point on the meter, showing a huge gas leak. Then the CE/CMS employee refused to fix the leak, telling me to call another company. The CE/CMS employee also stated he would leave the gas on, so I had heat and hot water thus the repeated statement "The gas will NOT hurt you." I could NOT believe what he said and told him to turn off the gas at the outside meter. I followed him to make sure he did.

I called the Poison Control Center and asked about the Toxicity of Methane Natural Gas and was told by the PCC that it is extremely Toxic and they could not believe I was still alive. It took a year to find a Doctor who could test me for Toxic Chemicals. The Toxicology Tests, SPECT brain scan, hair analysis, breathing tests, etc. all showed the Toxic Chemicals in my lungs, blood and every cell in my body were all identified in Natural Gas. The Methane Gas has numerous other gases added to it which are extremely toxic to make up Natural Gas that we use in homes/businesses. One gas is used in the gas chamber.

The LIES told by Consumers Energy/CMS and the Michigan Public Service Commission stated in letters that there were "NO known health effects in Natural Gas" despite the evidence I had. Both CE/CMS and the MPSC in their letters to me, called the two MD's who diagnosed me "QUACKS"!!! They are not only experts in their fields, but one Doctor, my Doctor has been given numerous awards in Environmental Toxic Chemical research from around the world. Doctors come from around the world to train under him and copy his clinic. He is also a Thoracic, Cardiovascular and abdominal Surgeon at Parkland Hospital. Natural Gas is a proven Neurotoxicant, Immunotoxicant, Pulmonary Toxicant and Carcinogenic. These toxic gases have affected my Endocrine System causing numerous medical problems and destroying my once extremely healthy and active life.

The Lies and Negligence of Consumers Energy/CMS and how they train their employees has destroyed every aspect of my life. The three CE/CMS employees testified under oath and read from the CE/CMS Employee Training Manual that they are trained to tell CE/CMS customers that Natural Gas is NOT Toxic, or harmful to their customers. The CE/CMS employees whom I have questioned whenever I see them near their trucks tell me that if they do NOT tell this lie to the customers, they will be fired, lose their retirements, benefits, etc.

My life as an active sports enthusiast in both summer and winter sports, a nurse working with ventilators, trachs, feeding tubes and rehabilitation and all my community activities have now turned me into a disabled person, suffering with horrific pain, have become allergic to the sun, medications, foods, etc. There is no form of pain medicine I can take as I react to it. I can't breathe and have to wear a carbon mask when outside. I have to wear long sleeves and pants so the sun does not touch my skin. I've had cancer surgery, part of my colon removed with an extremely abnormal growth on it. Every year I have to have a colonoscopy because of the numerous cancerous and precancerous polyps and adenomas that have to be removed.

My financial status has also been destroyed because Toxic Chemical Testing and any form of treatments are NOT covered by Insurance. Consumers Energy/CMS is constantly sending me SHUT-OFF notices, because I can't pay my bill because of my life they destroyed. For over a year, I contacted the Board of Directors, Executives and every City that had a Consumers Energy/CMS Office, the MPSC and other Government Agencies and Politicians with NUMEROUS letters, stating because CE/CMS had already tried to kill me through their incompetence, negligence and lies with the gas leak in my home, that I did NOT want the Toxic, so-called smart electric meter on my home.

February 2016, I was taking a nap as I have to do daily and heard my door bell ring. Because of the disabling affects from the gas leak, I can not walk very well by the time I got to the door to see a CE/CMS vehicle in my drive. I called out and a service man came from around the garage where the electric meter was. I told him to stop and why wasn't my request honored about demanding NO TOXIC METER on my home. I also asked this man: "WHY are you wearing so much protective gear on your head and body if these meters are NOT TOXIC???" He would NOT answer me. I told him to get off my property and take the Toxic Meter with him. Where did all my letters go that I sent numerous times for over a year stating NO TOXIC METER on my home and they all were filed in the basket??? CE/CMS continue to ignore gas leaks in homes as has shown proof of the explosions in the Detroit area, killing people.

CE/CMS also SHUT OFF the gas to a Vienam Veteran in February 2015 and he froze to death. Michigan Law states no one over 65 can have their gas and electric turned off from November 1st until March 31st of each winter. CE/CMS violated this law and the man died. WHY wasn't CE/CMS prosecuted for this man's death???

CE/CMS also will NOT take responsibility for destroying my health, my financial status, my active life, time to enjoy my family and friends because the pain is too severe for me to be out and about, unable to care for my home, but the Executives who with the CE/CMS attorneys wrote the Employee Training Manual filled with lies and force the CE/CMS employees to follow, that has DESTROYED my life, BUT these Executives walk away with multi-million dollar salaries and bonuses. Consumers Energy/CMS is the MOST TOXIC Company for their customer that they poison, or kill through gas leaks, explosions, etc. for MONEY and GREED.

I had just bought a house that I put all new wiring in and got Consumers Energy. Within the year that I have had them they have done nothing but raise my bill. When asked why they said they had no access to my meter which is not true. I am always home. I have no animals, and you can see it from the road. I would not recommend this company to anyone. To make matters worse, I have three small children and my electric bill is more than all my bills combined. They are saying they will shut off my electric today so when I call the company to try to fix the issue they aren't available. I have called our congressmen, the commission's office, or representative, and senate. Someone needs to start a lawsuit because they don't even tell you that they can estimate your bill or anything and keep changing prices. They need more competition.

While reviewing my Consumers Energy bill which I haven't done (that's my fault) because I am so busy, I couldn't figure out why my bill is always in excess of $150.00 a month. I live in a 700 square feet apartment (at most). I noticed that along with the charge for the use of energy, there is a "Distribution" charge. This Distribution charge is just as much as the energy charge!!! Why does the State of Michigan allow this? I can understand a set monthly distribution charge of maybe $10.00-$15.00, but Consumers charges me from $20.00 to $50.00 (at least) monthly, which is NOT ACCEPTABLE.

This makes me furious, not only because it is allowed, but because Consumers is OK with gouging their customers with this high of a Distribution charge (by the way, we HAVE to be their customer... because there is no other choice, surely not where I live), but that the State of Michigan allows it to happen and is OK with it. What's even more infuriating is that I am writing this and it will never be changed. I don't want to hear an ignorant and full of crap "we have to do this" statement/response. Bottom line is Consumers Energy is pathetic and so is the State is for allowing it.

I called Consumers Energy to transfer my service to my new address. I could not believe that they told me that I have to pay off my full balance which is 283.25 before I could transfer service in my name. I could not believe that they could do this and this is legal. I sent a email to Consumers and they said "sorry, but you have to pay this before you move." Now what if my bill was more than this small amount. I was not cancelling service just relocation to a better home. Poor people should not be targeted. This is unheard of on the rich part of time.

My wife and I bought a home in late 2013. Our electric meter is fenced in in the backyard, so it's inaccessible to meter readers. Now, this is partly my fault, as I should have been taking the meter readings myself, but from roughly February 2014 to August 2014, our electric bills were extremely low. When I finally realized what was happening, I contacted them to straighten the situation out. Remember, my fault. I expected a spike in payments once the proper readings were given.

However, over the next few months, between September and December 2014, my bills kept climbing more and more, until they peaked at well over $2000. I created an online Consumers account to verify this figure, and saw my energy usage from February to August had been estimated at more than 2000 kWh per month. Our normal usage is somewhere around 500 kWh. I called Consumers to try to understand how that usage could be so high, and to explain we don't use that much.

What I received was some strange explanation of how my failure to report my meter reading resulted in such high estimates. I talked with three different people regarding the matter, and they all gave the same, confusing nonsense response. I was ultimately told that if I didn't pay the bill, I would have my electricity shut off. I ended up having to enter a payment plan to do so.

Fast forward to January 2016. I read an article online about how the Michigan Public Service Commission is investigating Consumers for their estimated billing practices. A number was provided to call and file a complaint, so I did. I didn't expect anything from the call, I simply wanted to make my voice heard about my situation. Within a week, I received a call from Consumers regarding my complaint. I have been credited nearly $1000 from the company for the 2014 fiasco.

I urge anyone here who have been a victim of this company's unfair billing practices to call the Michigan Agency for Energy's compliance and investigation section. It's a toll-free number: (800) 292-9555. Keep in mind you will have to explain your situation clearly, since the person I and others have talked to seem to have trouble understanding what our problems were. I explained to the man four times what my complaint was before he finally told me he would forward my complaint. He seemed pretty dismissive of my call, and other people I know who have talked to the same person say the same thing. So just be aware and persistent.

I've had Consumers Power for 5 years before I had DTE and never had a bit of problems that I've had with Consumers Power. They have shut me off twice! Both time I had just made a payment 2-3 weeks prior! With this incident I just made a payment 3 weeks ago, then 2 weeks before that then 3 weeks before that then 2 weeks before that! So it's not like I haven't been paying! They charge me $100 to turn it back on then take days to return my service even tho they say it will be back on in hours! It seems that I'm making payment every 2-3 weeks and I'm still getting shut off! You can't get ahead with this company no matter how hard you try!

I have a autistic child who has asthma so if he has an attack I have no electricity for his breathing machine! They said if it is paid before 2pm it will be back on that day! The tech shut it off at 1:40pm. I paid by 1:49 pm but for whatever reason it takes 15 mins to go thru and your confirmation number means nothing btw! Why does Consumers power take 15 mins when every other place I've made a payment is immediate? Needless to say I talked to one guy that was so rude who informed me that even if I made my payment and it went thru at 1:50 or 1:55, it takes longer than that to get a work order out so it don't matter! Then why do they tell you if you pay by 2pm they will turn it back on? And I love that they wait till 1:45pm to shut it off! Do they wait until 2pm to do all shut offs so they don't need to turn them back on until the next day??

So I called and talked to Kia and she spoke to her supervisor who said they will be out before 10pm to turn it back on. It is now 11pm so I guess no electric or breathing machine for my son! Btw it is Jan and my house is 59 degrees! Even the heartless MI Gas doesn't shut anyone off in winter their policy is no shut offs until March! This monopoly that they have isn't fair to the consumer! We should be able to choose who we get our energy from! Maybe if they had competition they would have better customer service? If there is any lawsuits pending for Consumers Power please contact me! Not that it would hurt them any since they will just figure out some other way to rob the little guy! So much for being middle class! If anyone needs proof of my payment history I'm more than happy to share!

As countless others have complained, we are victims of their cost spike. It does not appear that they have installed the new smart meter. Nov was $167, 970 kwh (actual read); $140 in Dec, 762 kwh (estimated, of course); Jan $502, 3230 kwh!!! Last winter was significantly colder and our highest bill was more than $200 less than this. The State of Michigan has continued to allow Consumers Energy to keep their monopoly, but I will be contacting the proper agencies and our representative, nonetheless. I suggest everyone else who has issues with Consumers do the same.

I am being charged by consumers Energy highly amount and have not been home and I need help to confirm this issue. I am disabled and on SSI and how can I get help so that I'm not charge this amount when I wasn't home. I have been with my caregiver three weeks out of the month out of each month so there is no way I all that amount to consumers Energy of Lansing, Michigan. Thank you.

Consumers energy is a shining example of why monopolies are a bad thing. I have had to deal with consumers for most of my adult life and have never had anything but a negative experience. Until recently buying my current home I lived in an apartment, the same apartment for 3 years. My bills were consistently about $75 in the late spring to early fall months and about $150 in the late fall to early spring months. Consumers decided the meters in the complex needed to be replaced.

When I received my new bill it was a little higher at $117 but that wasn't unreasonable. My next bill however was $5126. Upon calling I was more or less told the meter was faulty and I needed to pay for power they estimated I used. At the end of the day I'm fortunate enough that the building owner paid the amount owed for consumer’s faulty meters. It's amazing to me that they will tell you there is no way the meter is faulty, but they need to put in new meters and then you have to pay for estimated electricity you used because their meters are faulty and it didn't give a proper reading. Today I received a letter stating they would be putting a new smart meter on my home and I have prepared myself to go around and around with these criminals again. Something has to give with consumers. Customers shouldn't be held responsible for their mistakes, faulty equipment, and employees not coming out to do an actual reading.

I moved to a new apartment. The first two months were about 300 kWh. In June 2015, I received a bill for 1083 kWh at a cost of around $150.00. I telephoned Consumer Energy (CE) and complained that it was way too high. They blamed it on a coffee maker and an air purifier that I did not have. In July, 2015, I received a bill for $300, claiming that I used 1786 kWh. They refused to investigate their meter and/or wires to determine why the kWh were increasing. Since they refused still to investigate, I contacted the Michigan Attorney General's office, the Consumer Complaint Division. His office passed that onto the Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC). The MPSC regulates Consumer Energy.

In the June bill, the 1083 kWh, CE sliced off 361 kWh and added that 361 to May, which had already been paid in full. CE failed to disclose this to me. I received a letter on September 1, 2015, from Brian **, a CE rep. He too failed to disclose this. He claimed that, in essence, that I was getting a deal when he lowered the June kWh. What he failed to disclose is that he had increased May usage. This is deception. For the 1786 July usage, he sliced off 1,000 kWh. I put May, June, and July in dispute.

I received threats from CE: Two were that they were sending the $600.00 bill to the credit bureau. And the other, they could shut off my electricity. The law requires that he put me on notice, that I am entitled to a hearing. He failed to do this in September 2015. Knowing my rights that I was entitled to an administrative hearing, I thought that I had to set it up, when it was CE, that was required to sent notice. CE didn't tell me at the time. ** mentioned in his letter that he was going to make sure I had a working meter. In emails exchanged, he claimed that he was sending the meter to a Jackson Lab to have it analyzed. He promise to send the report, but he never did.

In my last bill, I noticed the beginning rate of my meter. I learned it was a new meter. He never told me. My kWh was now falling under 200 kWh. In spite of all this, I recently received a shut-off notice. They wanted three hundred dollars. So, I will go to an informal hearing, and then to an administrative hearing if needed to be appealed. The behavior of the CE reps are why this state needs to deregulate. I would suggest that each one who has complaints against CE file them with the Attorney General's office. I think it is six years that you can go back. This will show a pattern of bad behavior. Perhaps as a group, the Attorney General's office will conduct an investigation and file a Class Action Suit against CE.

Consumer Energy engages in deceptive practices, a violation of the Michigan Consumer Act which can be found on the Attorney General's website. Also, I looked at the BBB website, and there are complaints against CE. I would encourage that you file a complaint against CE. It appears that CE had established a pattern of bullying, not following the law, and not giving people their rights. CE's behavior is unacceptable.

My contract with CE provides that I only have to pay for what I actually used. CE wants me to pay electricity I never used. It was their broken meter that caused the out of control kWh. They have the burden of proof to show that I used the amount they claimed. CE is out of control. I would also suggest that others may want to file a lawsuit in the courts for violation of the Michigan Consumer Protection Act. If you win, the attorney gets all legal fees paid. Contact a lawyer who is experienced in this area. They will know that they only get paid if they win.

Consumers Energy will tell you they will be out between 8 am and 4 pm. Well I take the day off to wait. It is now 4:40 pm and no one has yet to come. I have called them numerous times. They could care less. They gave me a credit. Screw your credit. How about you put it in the gas of a truck, send a man over and turn this crap on? Nope. Well I am about to get my bolt cutters and cut this pansy ** little lock off!

Terrible company. Terrible people. Period. They've shut me off when it was their mistake. They will not work with you at all on anything. I really wish there was some other company so I could happily go with the other company. I'm sure that's partly to blame for Consumers Energy not giving one care about their customers.

Consumers Energy Company Profile