1.17/5
  • 1 star
Based on 226 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a utility company?

Consumers Energy

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Dec. 28, 2017

278 Consumers Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I recently bought my first home and I called consumers to have my service transferred. They requested that I fax over notarized copies of my license, social security card, and proof I purchased the home. I had to send fax them 4 different times because they said it wasn't good enough. I have been calling them almost every day and the one time I called they got me for $600 from a bill owed 6 years ago that just happened to show up on my account. Now they're telling me that they can’t accept my proofs and called me a liar saying I am not who I say I am.

This has been going on since the end of November. The middle of December I receive a letter stating my gas is on along with a bill. I called them back and they opened an account for me but never turned my gas on. I have 3 kids ages 3, 4, and six and they refuse to turn service on when I have paid every month since 2009 and never gotten shut off. I’m at a loss on what to do. I have sent them everything they requested and even paid the $600 and nothing. I have contacted the local news and submitted several complaints. Does anyone have any suggestions for my family. I don't know why they're treating me like this.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Shut my power off by accident and said it was even their fault, but kick me off payment plan anyway! Finally came out and turned it back on for me but then 4 days later I get a letter in the mail saying that they wanted me to pay over $5,000 within 2 weeks or they were going to shut it off.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

1. Consumers billed us for months, somehow with no account set up, while we were in a temporary home due to a tree falling on our house. When we tried to pay, we couldn't because they had no account to for us to accept payment. 2. Most winter months show usage between $0-$5 - in Michigan. 3. They gave us a payment plan of $900/mth plus usage that, knowingly, we could not meet. 4. They would not review our erroneous billings. 5. I have 4 children - 2 of which are ill. 6. I am a Karmanos client. 7. We are poverty level. 8. They will not turn our heat back on or help us.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

Completely ** over charging me, on bills I already paid. Only sent 2 bills claimed they sent 3. Was enrolled in a payment plan and was told today I was deferred out of it, wasn't even 24 hours late on a bill and was charged over $20. People are rude and no help, I paid over $40 extra and still got slapped with a statement of overdue by $63 when the bill was originally only $72. I paid $23 then $25 then $41 on the installment dates now claiming I owe $63+ in overdue fees.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

First snow of the year 2017, October 31. Power outage 2hrs??? It's 1pm in Mancelona, MI. Men communicate with satellites past Mars, Consumers Ele. CAN'T find the switch for electricity for our homes. People with life or death issues in the home are screwed. Hope life insurance policies are paid up. Scientists need to replace these IDIOTS that run the Electric Co. SHAMELESS **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumers Energy?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

They have put off twice hooking up our natural gas. Both times they have promised it would be done and now they are telling us next year. They will not return calls and they have already cashed our check. The only time they have called is when they have a person contact us that has no authority. We have registered a complaint with them and still no response. Totally disgusted and time to contact our state representative.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Just contacted MPSC. Consumers Energy should be ashamed of themselves. 900 sf home $180 bill. I'm tired of paying this. Costs. Charge for making electricity. Charge for delivering. Charge for billing. Charge for low income. Charge for Plant Sanitization. Charge for programs that they tell me I cannot participate in because I don't have gas with them. Then let's tax all this. EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE OPTIONS... Was told I do not. They are the only ones who supply electricity to my home. Looks like they can do what they want.

Consumers Energy response: "I apologize for your frustrations and I would be happy to have a customer care representative contact you. Please send a private message with your address and phone number. Thank you." My response: "I appreciate your response but all you're going to do is try to pacify me, break down the bill, and try to explain the costs... That doesn't do anything for me. My point is the charging system, cost, and the monopoly you have. If you can significantly reduce my bill then we can have a conversation... Until then I'm going to continue to bring attention to this problem." GUESS WHAT... HAVEN'T HEARD FROM THEM!!!

Original review: July 27, 2017

My husband and I moved and called to transfer service to our new place. We were living with friends in a rental. 8 months later we get a $586 bill "for our convenience", they never shut off gas at old place so they just stuck us with 8 months of a water heater running. Place has since sold and landlord disappeared and out of touch. DTE changed their system so we cannot get last light bill from friends to show even that was shut off as well. They will not respond to questions like "Why was it on and unpaid for EIGHT months before being caught? Anyone else would be cut off after two" and "I know you can tell it's the same amount every month and the usage is WAY lower compared to the year before". When I asked "Why would we leave the gas on in an empty house where no one lives". I'm told "People do all kinds of things for all sorts of reasons".

We have found that our representative who took the call was not at fault in this situation." But the call was not recorded. Basically was told to deal with it. They cut off the gas at our new place when they came to this conclusion with no notice. It looks like it will cost around $1000 to convert the place to all electric. I'll freeze to death first.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I'm wondering how it's legal for consumers energy to install a smart meter on our home, without our permission, and now want to charge us $123.91 to remove it, not to mention an extra fee per month to have the old meter read. These meters are not safe, there are all kinds of health hazards associated with them, as well as a fire hazard... This is like highway robbery, and they're getting away with it. Shouldn't they have had to ASK us if we wanted one of these meters BEFORE installing it when we weren't even home?

Original review: July 20, 2017

Since we have had the "Smart Meter" our bill has doubled. I had a 20 minute conversation on how it must be us using more energy and no real answers. We have not changed our habits from one month to the other. We use the AC very seldom and they told me that has to be what's drawing so much energy. I smell BS and will have this meter replaced with the old one ASAP. Consumers should be ashamed at what they are doing.

Original review: July 20, 2017

This morning I called Consumers Energy regarding my recent light bill. First representative said she would have to give to another representative so I was transferred. Jenn the one that took my call was very rude. When I asked her name she said Jenn and spelled it out rudely. When I asked her last name she said she did not give out her last name. I asked to speak with her supervisor and she said the supervisor would give me the same information she had just given me.

I told her I wanted the supervisor to report her for being so nasty. She still refused to transfer me to Supervisor but tried to play nice after I told her I would hang up and call back and ask someone else for the supervisor. They give you your daily usage in their reports and I have been keeping up on daily use and the KWTS end up being more than what was posted. Now I'm told that feature is not totally correct. It just rolls over at midnight and we don't get total KWTS. Useless feature if not accurate.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I have never dealt which such inhumane prejudice in my life. Consumers Energy are very fraudulent in everything they do. Bills continuously go up. You're forced to pay any amount when you know what your bill should be even after you try to lower it. By not using light in the daytime. Buy energy efficient lights, new windows and all but you never see any real results. I cannot wait to move away from Michigan just to avoid dealing with consumers. They literally rape your pockets and it's so unfair. I can honestly say I wish Lawyers would investigate this company as a whole. They are shady with their dealings. Worst company in the world to deal with.

Original review: July 9, 2017

My gas bill has almost doubled with the 'free new meter'. I'm using much less gas because of summer. I'm hanging laundry outside, using little to no heat. This is price gouging customers for a 'free new meter installation'. An investigation needs to be done - now.

Original review: July 7, 2017

I have a 78 year old living with me and Consumers wants to shut us off and no agency can help us at this time. They have no mercy on the people. They all money hungry vulture. We fell behind because husband was on medical leave for two months with no pay and we couldn't keep up on payment plan. So now any day we're gonna be turned off. No place to go for help.

Original review: June 15, 2017

Inquiry about service was met with an employee who is fond of raising her voice. Inaccurate information was provided to a 3rd party by the "fraud" department. Accusations of tampering with the meter. People were accused who have no idea what is going on as they never submitted a request for service, let alone tampered with any meter. No communication about bills owed on the house, no calls, no letters from Consumers Energy. My guess? Someone legally obtained services, moved on, and Consumers failed to bill the service properly. SO someone, anyone must PAY. Fraud carries a six year ban. So accusing another party of fraud is particularly cruel and offensive, not to mention immoral. These are unethical people! Fraud being perpetrated by the Fraud department? Anyone else get falsely accused? This only happened when authorities were contacted to talk to CP. Guess that made them mad enough to lie.

Original review: June 11, 2017

Since January CE is saying our usage has nearly tripled since the prior year. The only changes we have made was the installation of LED lights throughout the property. Our furnace, water heater, and range are all gas. Additionally we do not have A/C. Our NG usage dropped since 2016 so cold weather is not the factor. It's obvious we are being overestimated by CE.

Original review: June 8, 2017

I think your Smart Readers are all wrong. I was not even in my apartment in May, and if I was I have a fireplace. There is no way that my bill can be as high as it is this month!!! You need to either get your bills to the customers at least 1 month before they are due. I have never gotten a bill to my email address. So, I look and you have me under PAY NOW. This company needs to rethink their so call Smart Meters. They are Dumb Meters.

Original review: June 7, 2017

Consumers Energy is just another soul-sucking monopoly of an energy corporation, yes, but the real reason I am writing this review is to make sure others are aware of scams associated with their gas providers. If anyone comes to your door and asks to see your energy bill and cannot prove that they are with Consumers Energy, tell them "no thank you" and shut the door. Last week, a clean-cut, well-dressed young man came to my door telling me that my home had been "red flagged" by Consumers Energy and he needed to see my bill. Thinking that I was in some sort of trouble, I complied. He then proceeded to tell me that he was from a gas provider that works with Consumers Energy, and that we were paying rates higher than what we needed to.

All he asked for was my name, email, home address, and phone number (no social security number or payment info) so I thought there was no harm. After he left, I got a little suspicious, so I started poking around on the internet about his company, Provision Power and Gas, and found that they had been sending out people to scam Consumers' customers. They tell you your rate will be "such and such cents less per unit," but what they don't tell you is that the low price is a promotion that lasts for one month. After that, it becomes "variable month-to-month," in other words, MORE EXPENSIVE THAN IT WAS. If someone wearing a Provision shirt knocks on your door, don't even open it.

They are not paying someone to walk around so that you can save money, they're doing it so that they can make money. Thankfully, I called them within the 30-day cancellation period and got out of it with not fuss, but I would have been pretty upset if I got to the point of paying extra on my gas bill before realizing what had happened. Bottom line: STAY FAR AWAY FROM DOOR-TO-DOOR ANYTHING! Real companies do not use this technique to communicate anymore. It is guaranteed to be a scam!

Original review: June 1, 2017

So this month I used less electric than last month and my bill comes and my bill is $75 more than last. It seems like every month the bill goes up a little even if I don't use more kWh. These new smart meters are junk and just make it worse on all the customers. I'm looking into switching providers. I suggest many do the same.

Original review: May 31, 2017

Setup on budget billing of 88.00. Bills have still been over 150 per month. Contacted the company, there was nothing they could do. I paid $900 in March. New offer for budget was $95. Paid that amount once then in May my bill said 349.00. I call again. They said I still owed 270.00 from when I paid $900. I was told I paid what I owed. I'm confused, because this company has no competitor they can do whatever they want. They price gouge, change rates monthly. You can not budget plan ever. I don't have gas or air conditioning in this house. So tell me how my little 2 bed 1 bath gets so high? I can only imagine and I feel horrible for those who live in a larger house or have multiple utilities. You can ask anyone who is stuck with this company because we don't have any other option unless we don't want power. And consumer knows it. It's unfortunate that they don't care about their community, or how the people in it struggle.

Original review: May 16, 2017

Ever since the meter has been installed my bill is much higher than usual, despite using less energy than when we had the old meter. How can my April reading be 950 and my May be 266 when I did absolutely nothing different? In January the reading was 1234 and February was 1186. It was 65 degrees in February. We ran no heat that month, and what little heat we needed, we burned wood in our wood burner. These readings don't make any sense. I feel overall the "smart" meter is inaccurate and our readings have been unusually high majority of the time.

Original review: April 1, 2017

I am very disappointed, and frustrated with Consumers customer care. Almost all of the reps I have gotten say "hang on a second." Then route me back through the automated system, then another rep answers the phone, and asks me the same questions the other person does. Also the automated system is terrible. Most of the time it keeps telling you to just do it online.

Original review: March 30, 2017

This company is awful. They shut my power off with NO warning and tell us they won't turn it back on until we lay a $1,800 deposit and they wouldn't work with us on a payment plan. Who the Hell can just pull that kind of money out of thin air? Not only that but our call got disconnected a minimum of 5 times and got a different person every time and a different outrageous price to turn it on. How can there be a different $ every time? They suck!!! Too bad they are the only damn option.

Original review: March 26, 2017

I bought my home 12/24/14. My electric bill (with one exception) has averaged $60 per month EVERY month. A new meter was installed. My next bill jumped to $95! I called & explained NO CHANGES to my household. I am a senior and live by myself. I received no resolution and was forced to pay the $95! The next month my bill was $145!!! I called again. I explained I live on my social security and cannot afford to pay this huge bill! They told me it was my fault and there was nothing they could do. How can they do this???

Original review: Feb. 23, 2017

Our apartment complex here requires we opt out of smart meters, which all of us have done. Consumers Energy comes in at random and installs smart meters without our permission, we ask to have them removed, they remove them and then they charge us another removal fee of $124. This has happened to me twice in one year. They also take no responsibility for their errors. Plus it is impossible to call in and talk with anyone who can do anything about this. I repeatedly need assistance and to spend at least an hour even getting thru to someone who can do something about this. And then they accept no responsibility for their errors. Just a matter of time until they do this again. The contractors who do the installation say that their orders are often incorrect. One recently was afraid to (validly in this case) install an ordered smart meter!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

Summer of 2016 had brand new Windows installed. Then they upgraded the meter. This winter instead of bills going down they went up. Also installed programmable thermostat. Bill went up an extra $125. Why. I would like a higher up consumers energy rep to contact me.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2017

I don't know how it's legal or possible, but Consumers energy shut off the gas on the 20th of January, 2 days after making a payment, and being on after applying for the "winter shutoff protection plan"! I am a low income single father of two teens, with a disabled brother also living in the house, and I make payments, albeit sometimes late, I never just don't pay. Yet today, a 32-degree day so I guess they figured it as warm enough, they turned off the gas without even knocking at the door. There are 3 dogs, a cat and a lizard plus 4 people living in the house, and I guess they figured we don't need warmth!!

Consumers Energy are liars and practically gangsters the way they shake us down for every dime then shut off services when you're a little late! I've explained my situation, have always paid, apply for their "protection plan", which doesn't do anything but mislead, because if you're late, they shut off anyways? I don't know how they can even call it shutoff protection when IT does NO SUCH THING! I paid EVERY MONTH except being LATE in DECEMBER, and now dead of winter I have NO GAS, wow! Hopefully a lawyer can help.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

My bill has been $44 to $54 for several months. Now they have added on so many other things it jumped to $78. The main one was "distribution" which added on $22. I now have to "rent" the lines they send the current through. I afraid to see what's on next month's bill.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2016

During the time of installation of their handy new smart meter at my family's address, they decided that they are going to leave the energy and gas on after saying that there was an issue during the installation. Two weeks later, they turn off everything without a notice at all and tell me and my family that we were fraudulent and tampered with the meters and turned them all back on after they "turned us off"? Well I am the type to file a lawsuit but won't win because I'm sure that lawyer fees fall into category of non profit.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2016

Apparently it's fully acceptable and even commendable for customer service reps at Consumers Energy to insult clients. The representative went as far as low-blowing me about being a parent!!

Consumers Energy Company Information

new.consumersenergy.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use