2. Homeowners

Michigan

3.9/5 (254 ratings)

About Consumers Energy

Consumers Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumers Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumers Energy?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Never use the appliance service plan with Consumers Energy! I am on the gold plan. They sent a contractor out to put a valve on my water heater and he installed it incorrectly, which has been a big problem for me. Now, they said they closed my case because they don't deal with install issues and they won't fix it. Are you kidding me!? I will cancel my contract come May!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Consumers Energy is horrible. We are always losing power and they always take a long time to fix it. We have spent so much money in replacing food because of them. When are they going to actually fix the problem instead of constantly bandaiding it? Lord knows they way over charge everyone, the least they can do is provide decent service!

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

Our power had been out since Tuesday. It came back on briefly on Friday and now it is out again. We have lost all of our groceries and are not in a good financial position to be dealing with this. They say they are working on it but there hasn't been a single truck in our neighborhood today. Now all of our food has gone bad and they keep postponing when it will be fixed. Absolutely ridiculous. They knew about our outage at 10 am. Didn't dispatch a crew until 4:30 pm, and it still hasn't been resolved tonight. Disgraceful service.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

No power for 5 days and more. It's not the first time and they are not responsible for nothing. What about if this happen in winter? They don't care about customers: children, elderly and sick people.

Original review: June 21, 2021

I have lost power twice now since June 1st when they (Consumers Energy) decided to start "peak rates" which usually saves people money. I think I figured out how they save people money on electricity now though! They just can't provide you with electricity more than 10 days in a row without you losing power for 8 hours or more. Currently we are at 12 hours today with another 4 hours to go according to their estimate. What caused last power outage? It was too hot at 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Today's power loss reason? It rained. No serious wind in my area at all. (Highest wind got was around 15 mph) also we live in downtown Fenton. So there is no excuse for their lack of commitment to provide quality power to residents here. Went from a rate of about 10 cents per kwh to 15 cents per kwh for 5 hours of the day (2 pm to 7 pm). This company is just getting worse. We have lost power at least 4 times in the last 6 months.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

So they are raising our rate 10%. Our car insurance company gave us a break our health insurance even Xfinity... Grocery stores pop companies and other places gave pay raises to essential workers. Our government gave us stimulus. We're being a DJ at a bar and they close them. Don't help my bills in any way. But you guys seem to want to raise our rates. Where's your sympathy? Do you not understand that people aren't making it right now....And you want a raise our bill again? Seriously.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Dear Consumers Power

I just want to thank you for the great work done today at our residence at **. We had lost power in the early morning and of course did not know the reason. We left to deliver meals to seniors (Meals on Wheels Program) around 9:00 AM, never realizing that it was our transformer that had blew up and was hanging on the pole!!!!

Anyway, we get back around 4PM, and our neighbors tell us all about it!!!! They said that Consumers showed up at around 10, and by 12:30, they had a new transformer installed at the top of the pole with new shielding, new ground wire, etc. all completed, and of course by the time we returned everything was totally back to normal. That really is fantastic service and we certainly appreciate it!!!! If this isn't the right place to send this thank you (it is the only e-mail address I could find on Consumer's page), would you please forward this on to the people that did the work!!!! Again - absolutely wonderful - Thank You very much!!!!

Bill and Mary **

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

Apparently we had a gas leak at our meter. James knocked on our door and let us know that he was here to check our line. He was very friendly and efficient! If it hadn't been for consumers sending James out, things could have gone wrong. So thank you for being friendly and efficient and repairing a leak that could have had a horrible outcome! James certainly takes his job seriously and should be recognized for his friendliness!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

We purchased property and built a pole barn with a full bathroom and are living in an RV as we will be building a house soon. Because we do not currently have a house going in Consumers is charging us and extra $3000 to put in electric. They said we won't be using enough energy at this point and they need to make money. The amount could be refundable but most likely not, according to them.

We wanted to use Great Lakes Energy as they have much better ratings and were way less than half the cost of consumers, but consumers had a monopoly in our area and we had to ask permission from them to use Great Lakes, of course they said no way. So, we need electric so we has to pay out $5000!!! Now they keep putting off installing our service and actually did our neighbors' who bought their property months after we moved here, but they are putting a house up now, thus consumers sees $$ signs. We have no choice or recourse and this is completely wrong.

Original review: July 13, 2020

Had a very high bill and when I called first thing they ask is if I had central air and then proceeded to blame it all on that, didn't matter that my bill was way higher then last year and I had a inground pool running last year, I asked them to come out and check the meter and they wouldn't even think of that, they say there is nothing wrong with their smart meter ever.

Consumers Energy Company Information