1.22/5

Need a utility company?

Michigan

315 Consumers Energy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 25, 2019

Energy has always been somewhat expensive but ever since we've gotten our smart meter our bills have gone through the roof. Bills have been so expensive that we shut all of our power off during the day in the summer and our bills are still over $200 a month! A few months ago our bills were significantly smaller so we just assumed that our prayers had been answered and they were finally charging a fair amount for the electricity we were using.

Turns out that whoever installed our smart meter did it wrong and the meter wasn't accurately reading how much energy we were using. Instead of taking the fall for the accident they wanted to blame us for tampering with it. Well if you didn't know, you can't mess with the meter because if you try it will trigger something that sends an employee out right away. They are terrible at dealing with customers.

We aren't rude people and we don't disrespect their employees, so it's sad when they disrespect us. They also act like they are all high and mighty when walking onto our property. We live in the country and they parked on the side of our road and walked onto a random spot on our property! Didn't even bother driving into our driveway that was open with two entrances! It's a big deal because we have dogs who are protective, and while they probably wouldn't hurt anyone we don't want to risk euthanization because of careless Consumers Energy employees. I can only hope that there will be a better company to go through in the near future. If you can I would avoid consumers energy at all costs. They are entitled money hungry people who are disrespectful to their customers and their property.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Consumers cut down trees on our property that could have just been trimmed. They took them right down to the ground. Effectively destroying our windbreak. Then they want us to turn down the heat. Lmao. Um no. I won't do anything to help this company out after the disregard they showed me.

Get expert buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2019

They must not want their money until they get to ** you with fees. To begin, I am not from this state. I was under the impression DTE was our gas and Electric. Nope. Six months in this place not a single bill. Landlord hasn’t said anything to us. Power worked fine. One day power was off called DTE boom... They aren’t our provider for electric. Imagine that. SIX MONTHS LATER.

SO. I call. I get this girl who cannot even comprehend the words coming out of my mouth. I work in customer service (on the phone in particular) so I am laughing trying to make light of it because it ain’t her fault. But lord have mercy was she dumb. D-U-M-B DUMB. Whatever. She gets my info, gives me some number. Says nothing about how much we owe and then says I’ll get a bill backdated (only 3 months or so) for us to pay via email and mail. We got nothing. So I go online and it don’t work. I am very busy. I forgot. My bad.

Come home to no power. Okay, call and sort it out. They never changed the account. So my roommate gives them his info... Send him to another person to pay. They can’t take payment without an account number. They send him to another department they say he’s never been entered in... What? Okay maybe it takes more than 20 min. He goes to the automated payment thing. It hangs up after taking payment. We call back. WAIT 45 min! They still never updated the damn account. Wtf?! Now we have fees and ** to pay and we have sat in the dark for over an hour waiting and we paid an hour ago.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Twice we called regarding our outage. One person told us that's what homeowner's insurance is for, the other one told us to go buy a generator. We have reported a particular spot on our street that is problematic. It is the same spot every time we lose power where they fix it. Obviously it requires maintenance. 7 people were told. Still no resolution.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Had a Smart meter installed in April 2018. I have both autopay and no paper bills so haven't paid any attention to my Consumer's Energy costs until yesterday. To my horror, the readings have remained the same since the installation. Contacted Consumers and was told that a meter reader had come out in December 2018, my guess is that they knew at that time that there was something amiss. Well, guess what? It's is February 2019 and the meter today still shows the same reading from April 2018! When I called they said that they will see why the meter isn't transmitting the readings and that they will "work with me" regarding the billing. I was trying to look online at my detailed bills from 2017 and they are not available, only the amount paid. More reasons for me to start up paper bills once again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumers Energy?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My electrical usage has skyrocketed since Smart Meter installed. Found out the Meter they installed in Oct. was defective when Nov. reading was 4 times the average usage. I went to the Meter on the house to confirm what they say was an actual read and the Meter was blank. Called Consumers and they tried to ping it for a reading and it would not read. They replaced meter but estimated another 400 reading. They tell me there was no defective meter - it worked just not on my end. This is absolute robbery, we have no way to check them. They can charge whatever they want and we pay or they shut off power. This has got to be stopped. Get rid of Smart Meters - they are tools used to capitalize.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Our bill has increased by about 40% since the smart meter was installed, but that's not even the worst of the problems. My ears have been ringing for weeks, my 7 year old son suddenly has asthma. My 8 year old daughter is suddenly getting headaches. Our 8 year old neighbor is also suddenly getting headaches. I have a chronic pain condition that has gotten worse recently. Overall, the health of my family has decreased dramatically since the smart meter has been installed.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Consumers Energy has stopped with new pole setting for over two years at my property. Today, last weekend of deer season & I have guys & trucks setting poles on my property. They never said anything about starting the work again. Two years ago when here last a worker decided to crap in my yard. Three of us here walked through the human crap & destroyed our boots! I talked to the foreman minutes after this happened with the proof still on our pants & boots. He made his worker clean up the spot where he crapped. I can say this company has been a joke on all matters with my property! Very inconsiderate, trashed my boots & pants, ruined my deer season & have heard nothing back from customer service about my replacement of boots two years & waiting! I would give them a zero if able! What a joke!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Single mom. Still no power in the middle of winter! I subleased a place and went to have the electric put in my name, Consumers Energy shut the power off and had yet to turn it back on! Their reason is that the previous tenants didn’t pay their bill!! I have nothing to do with the previous tenants! They don’t live here. I have no outstanding bills and have turned in all lease agreements and proof I have nothing to do with the previous tenants, and still nothing! It’s three weeks before Christmas and consumers has left my 7 year old and I without power for five days!!

I have called over 100 and have yet to even speak with someone that can handle my case. They keep sending me to a voicemail and no one has called me back! All my food that was in the fridge and freezer totaling over $300 is now bad! I still have no idea when they will turn on the power! I have even offered to pay the previous tenants' bill to get it resolved and no one will give me an amount or an answer! Consumers Energy you should be ashamed of yourself! If I had another option I would never ever use them!! Again I have no previous bill. All accounts on my end have always been current and up to date!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

New gas meter installed today 11-15-2018. Took gas meter read after installer left - did not see meter read before installation. For 15 days gas use we are at 4.6 cf. For the past 3 years I have been averaging 5.8 cf for this time of year. It looks like I am headed toward 9.2 cf doing the math. This is almost double - something is definitely not right. We will have to see actual bill/readings come Dec. 3, 2018. Does not look good.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Not so smart, smart meters: We moved into this farmhouse almost 3 years ago, We have Consumers Energy as our electric supplier. We are on a limited income so we were put on a budget program in which we paid a set amount monthly. Consumers has put one of their smart meters on our house and our energy has skyrocketed. When I use their energy calculator, it says we should have a conservative bill of approx. $150 per month, well it's over $1.k. We asked for another meter and were turned down, they have our bill at over 6k now and say pay by Dec.7 or will be disconnected. We have a new TV, a stove, dryer, fan, water pump, electric water heater. We have a garage with only a radio, pasture without a fencer plugged in, no reason for this high of a bill but we can not get them to see what's the problem and may be forced to move.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I had gas turned on (New Service start) 7/30/2018. I was billed twice and I had paid both bills. When the temperatures started going down, I turned on the heat but only cold air was blowing. I called Consumers Energy and the representative I spoke with informed me that they had mailed a letter to me requesting for my ID and since they did not get anything from me they disconnected service. The representative said someone will be in touch with me and they will restore service within 2-3 days. I called Consumers Energy and spoke to Randy who said he will set appointment with the technician on 10/24/18 and that I will get a call 20 minutes before they come out.

It is past 10/24/18 and I did not receive that call. So today 10/25 I called Consumers Energy and spoke with Jessica. She said the service can be turned on today, our phones got disconnected but she called me back and reported she can have a technician come next week 10/31/18. No specific time was given but the technician will call me 20 minutes before getting to my home. I doubt this will happen for the simple fact that I do not have estimated time. Consumers Energy should better customer care service. $30 credit does not equate my disappointment and discomfort for their lack of urgency to satisfy their customers. If my area had alternative to gas utility, I would not use Consumers Energy, neither would I recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I just moved into a new home. I called Consumers Energy on Monday 10/22/2018 to set up a time to have someone come out and turn on my heat because my MOVE IN date was 10/23/2018. I spoke with a lady that afternoon and she set me up an account and informed me I could have someone come out to my house on 10/23/2018 between 12 and 4p (Something of that timeframe). She even gave me a confirmation number.

So the next day 10/23/2018 I waited 'til about 4ish and I called them back. I spoke to a different lady and she said my appointment was for NOVEMBER! This doesn't make sense because November wasn't even talked about and I never agreed to that. I agreed to 10/23/2018. So the new lady I spoke with did something and told me someone would come out that same day 10/23/2018 anytime before 10:30 pm. So as I'm already frustrated I agreed to wait 'til 10:30 pm.

Now it's 7p then 8p then 9p and still no one so I decided to call and make sure they didn't mess up my stuff again. AND THEY DID! Now an automated system tells me my appointment is for another day this week (I never agreed to) and so I proceeded to speak with a representative. Now this new lady (A third lady tells me something different AGAIN) she states my appointment date is now 10/25/2018! How is this happening? I was never asked about these days. I was told I could have 10/23/2018 TWICE!

Now I get there are other peoples emergencies that are far more important than mine, but what is the point of me having a schedule timeframe for you guys to come assist me if you guys are going to NOT LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS. I waited in a freezing cold house all day because you guys told me I would be assisted, and I made a prior scheduled appointment day.

Finally after my 3rd call to you guys that day a nice gentleman showed up to my house. He was able to assist me in turning my heat on. I am very happy that I ended up with having heat. But what I am not happy about is how can you guys tell me I have an appointment for a day but then you guys turn around and change it THREE TIMES! WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE. I NEVER OK'D ANY OF THAT.

THOSE REPRESENTATIVES ARE NICE TALKERS, BUT MESSED UP EVERYTHING ALL DAY! This is my first time working with you guys as this is my first home! And I should have been excited but I ended up crying in a freezing cold house because you guys kept messing up my schedules! Fix this so no one else has to feel like they don't matter. This was just disrespectful. I never experienced something this bad.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Good morning, I'm not sure where to start, I order the appliance protection program back in June. I have made 2 payments with this program. I called Sunday morning to have someone come out and look at my central air unit. But there was a mess up with my account which was fixed and they were supposed to have some call me to have my 15 day waiting period waive due to the mistake on whoever enter my account. Never got a call until 4 pm yesterday from a Consumers worker name Paul to look at my AC unit. I never had an appointment but he said he would come look at it and put the new part in that I just bought for it.

Paul was here for about an hour and put the new capacitor in, but then he tried to start it but never turn on the breaker or at the thermostat. He was very unsure and while we were both standing there he did something and it blew up. The compressor blew up knocked him on his butt and sparks flew, This would define my life then there was a loud hissing noise which was the Freon and oil leaking out of the compressor. Then he just left and said there wasn't anything left to do. So he left with my air conditioner worst than it was. He blew up my system. I was SUPER concerned that it was a fire hazard so I called a local company for heating/cooling to make sure my house wasn't going to burn down. He asked who was out here and what they did, so I showed him. He has had a problem with Paul also and knew exactly who I was talking about.

He looked everything over and said the ONLY way this compressor would have blown up is if it was wired wrong. Paul said he put new connectors on which the new heating and cooling company could not find which connectors he put on. I then called the appliance repair service number and whoever I spoke with yelled at me and told me so sorry but there's nothing that can be done. I understand done everything to fix it and it doesn't work however you made my system worse and then just left me with a hole in the side of my compressor. I didn't think your company would make it worse, damaging it more. My house is 87 degrees, my 20.00 dollar part has now cost me 2400. I would like to speak with someone that help resolve my problem.

Original review: June 30, 2018

On Tuesday June 26, James came to my home to assess for energy efficiency. Friends and acquaintances had told me about the energy assessments but I never scheduled one. When I received the notice in the mail to schedule the visit, I did so. Best decision I've made. James was professional and provided education for saving energy that was understandable to the lay person and the suggestions were not over the top expensive and something I can do on my own.

As I had heard, but found hard to believe, he provided me with LED light bulbs indoors and outdoors and LED night lights, a new water saving shower head, new filters for the water faucets, checked my large appliances for efficiency, and gave me tips for sealing my ducts in the basement to save energy. James provided an analysis of his findings and offered the $100 coupon for a more extensive and comprehensive assessment of my home. James was respectful of my home, putting the booties on his shoes and he was respectful and courteous to me. James provided me all the information for rebates and numbers to call for problems and issues. The appliance service is awesome - paying me $50 to take my refrigerator away! Who does that?? Thank you to Consumers Energy for providing this service and thank you to James for taking the time to help me make my home more energy efficient. Very grateful.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Consumers Energy installed new gas lines to all residents of St Clair Shores MI. They showed ill regard to my home when they performed their work last fall. There were 4 broken sprinkler heads, some of my landscaping were damaged, and large chunks of clay from the ground were tossed over a professionally landscaped front yard. The worst is yet to come. I now get water in my basement directly in the area where they dug. This never happened until they came on my property. I am worried about the mold that is accumulating behind the drywall of a finished basement. Conveniently, Consumers Energy is not accepting any responsibility. I learned that this has happened to another resident on my street and they have also been declined. I want justice! Their carelessness is much more than this. But my water damaged basement with each heavy rain is a huge concern. They need to own this.

Original review: May 25, 2018

My gas meter was shut off. I had no idea why. I didnt even realize it at first. I noticed some things not working. I tried fixing several things then finally realized the gas was shut off. I double checked that I paid my bill. I had. I am on auto pay. So we thought maybe the neighborhood kids were messing around. We turned it back on ourselves. We had no notification on our door that there was an issue. Fast forward on our way to work the next morning we found a green tag in our driveway from Consumers Energy that our gas had been shut off. No reason why.

I called and was told that my meter had been changed. No phone call that they would be out. No appointment made. No nothing. Just shut off my gas. If I'm late on a bill they call but shutting off my gas is no reason to call. I worked 14 hours that day and got home at 11pm at night. This is what I came home to. I am furious. How dare they shut off my gas with no attempt to reach me. I want an explanation. This is business policy is completely unacceptable to me. I am a hard working good paying customer. I have earned a phone call.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Bills are misleading... if you over pay and are on the budget plan, your bill will show a credit where one doesn't even exist... By the time all is said and done your final bill on budget plan could potentially be 3 times your normal fee. Customer service and its "supervisor" ** are EXTREMELY CONDESCENDING. Guess I pay the 342 because Consumers is a monopoly...no other gas company to choose from.

Original review: April 10, 2018

An absolute scam. I am being charged 3x what I was charged last year. There has been no changes in the household. If anything, I have tried harder to use LESS electricity and this is the result. I now owe $450 to consumers, with this month showing as "on track" to be the same. Absolutely ridiculous. They need to be investigated.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Our electric bills have more than doubled with the smart meter! We aren't even home most of the time and our bill is $230 just for electric. The excuse Consumers gave me was that my appliances run harder during bad weather... What? Why was this never an issue before?!? They are not doing anything to help us. We are on an extremely tight budget and this hurts.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Ridiculous! Supposedly the rental home had 3 issues that it showed someone tampered with it. One before the electricity was turned on and 2 when it was on and in my name between tenants. They won't check to see if the neighbors electric was turned off. They won't do anything but tell me I have to pay a $129 bill! This monopoly of a company is ridiculous! Fraudulently charging people and told me that if I wanted proof I could subpoena them for their records! WTH? The "Smart" meter is outside on the side of the house clearly it makes no sense for landlord to mess with a house that is empty with the power on and in their name.

Investigations my **! They must need to make a little money to pay the taxes that are due for 2017 so they send out a bunch of phony bills! They said it happened 3 times, the first being 10 months ago yet I was never made aware and the last time was almost 8 months ago and now they just randomly decided to send me a bill for "investigations". This company is a scam and a half.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I moved into a 795 sq. ft. apartment in February and February's bill was almost $300. The highest I've had this thermostat is 70 degrees and ever since I got this bill I've kept it in between 66-68 degrees and it's still going to be almost $200 estimated. I don't buy that this is a weather issue at all. I've talked to others and saw the other reviews on here. Consumers Energy needs to look at their practices because something is wrong with what they are doing. Unacceptable.

Original review: March 1, 2018

The rate cost is so high, a person can't have the home warm during winter months. You have to have a blanket wrap around you just to keep warm because you're on a very limited income to live on every month.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

It’s ok just the way it is, I’ve got no complaints on the company. They always come out to do their job no matter what it takes day or night and it don’t matter what time it is.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Consumers Energy is very helpful to me. I receive a report each month that compares my energy used to those around me and rates the amount of energy I use.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

Yesterday, we got the smart meter installed in our house from consumers energy, and since then, I am having trouble with the wifi, this creates problems as I work from home some days... has anyone has his problem too? I am also reading in the internet the potential health issues with the smart meters (as apparently, they emit strong burst of radiofrequency every few seconds all the time)... anyone has more information about this? Besides the potential health issues, the security risk and the interference with wifi and other electronics, it seems that many people is complaining with bills coming 3-4 times higher than past winters... why are we the consumers obligated to use this system, and how can we remove it?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

They came out when we needed service and fixed everything. That was a great thing to have happen. I feel better about them since then. We have been with them a while now and plan on staying.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

My utility company is Consumers Energy. I live on a fixed income and sometimes I get behind in my bill and when I do, I've always gotten a solution to solve my problem. They have many options to choose from, makes life easier for the people who live on fixed incomes.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

After finding my bill was impossibly almost 3Xs higher than my winter normal (I am almost never home and Cons. only provides my electric), I called. They chalked it up to weather and every time I countered their statements, another obvious load of steaming crap was pulled from the pile of scripts. When I was told I have a smart meter, I pointed out the recent issues surrounding them. That was apparently the final straw because she did not even try to change her reasonings. It was my fault for having the heat too high (UNDER 70° 80% of the day, at most 71° the rest of the short time) and the cold temps. Oh, and only 2 1/2 weeks into the billing month, apparently my next bill is ALREADY AT ALMOST FOUR TIMES MY WINTER NORMAL! This month has been twice as warm as last!

After finding my bill was impossibly almost 3Xs higher than my winter normal (I am almost never home and Cons. only provides my electric), I called. They chalked it up to weather and every time I countered their statements, another obvious load of steaming crap was pulled from the pile of scripts. When I was told I have a smart meter, I pointed out the recent issues surrounding them. That was apparently the final straw because she did not even try to change her reasonings. It was my fault for having the heat too high (UNDER 70° 80% of the day, at most 71° the rest of the short time) and the cold temps. Oh, and only 2 1/2 weeks into the billing month, apparently my next bill is ALREADY AT ALMOST FOUR TIMES MY WINTER NORMAL!! This month has been twice as warm as last!!

Note: my gas is provided by Semco, not Consumers. I have lived here for six years and I have never had an electric bill this high. Customer service was a useless a bunch of parrots who all repeat the same things they were scripted: it's because of the cold and the customer's faults in some obscure way. Insulting, condescending, and feels like outright theft.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I requested a smart meter not be installed but they installed it anyway. My bill has increased. My daughter and son moved out and the bill has more than doubled. My house is 1050sq ft and my bill is $509 for two months. I have DTE gas and this is more than July when we ran the air because of record heat.

Consumers Energy Company Information