Michigan

2.5/5 (539 ratings)

About Consumers Energy

Consumers Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumers Energy?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2023

I check my Electric usage every day on their Electric forecast and my bill is always quite a bit higher than what it shows on my account usage. I called them and they more or less say you can't go by what they have showed you used.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

I followed our estimated bill because of the huge increase, with the economy. The prior billing month we used air conditioning on a consistent basis. For this cycle we turned on the air 1 time, only to 70* overnight and the heat 1 time overnight and only to 65*. Our house is also only 10 years old. Lights off in empty rooms, devices of all kinds unplugged when not in use, added as well. The bill estimator told us we were in line to see a $105 decrease in this month's bill. The bill came for the next cycle at 65% higher than the bill estimator. We called in with multiple waits times and calls totaling over an 1 hour and 15 minutes. There were days where the meter did not read and so they were not added to the bill estimator.

When asked what the readings were on those days they were not able to supply them and gave us the option of taking a picture of our meter and sending it in to another department. The catch with that is there is no daily reading for those days. So how are those days billed? Were they billed at peak hours? We make an effort to decrease energy usage for 2-7pm (prime). In speaking to one rep we were told nothing could be done and credits are never given, period. Finally after talking to the rep for sometime and trying to explain we asked for a supervisor. Again with another long hold. The supervisor did not have a helpful attitude during any point during the conversation. Our bill was 65% higher than the estimator and she said that increase was reasonable. Maybe if you're spending $10,000 a month for energy, but in relative terms if you are spending between $100-$250 it is significant. She disagreed.

In the end she asked us "well what do you want, a credit? I can give you $25 on your next bill." Keeping in mind the second rep said no credits are ever given (she was the one we spoke to right before the supervisor). We accepted the credit because at this point we had explained the situation and were told we were wrong. Even with all of the facts presented.

Get buying tips about Utility Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

Every time a little wind kicks up the neighbor's tree limbs arc and blow the fuse in the transformer pole. They never provide accurate estimates. This happens 6 times a year or more. I have to quickly run and throw my main breaker to prevent more devices from frying when they restore power. I complained about my router, fridge, and air conditioner being fried and their engineer said, "Spend more money on your surge protectors.". They are worthless. It's too bad the government picks these people over the smaller and more diverse, renewable, and resilient competition.

Original review: July 5, 2022

I have a bill for a utility company but it does not belong to me. I was homeless then in a rehabilitation residential unit. Come to find that someone used my name so I could not see this. How are they allowed to do this without a lease? I never had a bill at that address. I was only using it for mail. How do I fight this?

Original review: June 18, 2022

It's a busy world full of busy people like me. We have things to do, business to take care of, condos to buy and move into. If anyone isn't doing everything in their power to speed along this process of the community functioning properly, then something is seriously wrong with them. When I call any company of any kind, the problem isn't when I'm stuck with a robot that just sits there and overexplains what buttons I should push, depending on what I called for; the problem is when the first list of options DOESN'T INCLUDE GETTING CONNECTED TO AN AGENT!!!

I shouldn't have to explain why being forced to repeatedly strain my ears, listen to my options described to me in vague, unhelpful ways, then push random buttons in the hope that it might take me further down this rabbit hole is completely unacceptable. Whoever decided that this was the proper way to handle callers and whoever kept failing to notice the problem and deal with it accordingly, they all need to be fired and sent to starve in the streets. Good job leaving me with a stellar first impression, Consumers Energy. Go fix yourself or die.

Original review: May 26, 2022

About a month and a half to two months ago someone came by to talk to us about cutting a couple branches off our tree for the line going through our yard. Yesterday we got home and our tree (only one in our yard) was hacked hideously! If they were cutting that much off they should’ve just told us they were going to cut the whole tree down! We never had a problem with this tree with the power line. Now we are probably going to have to get rid of the only tree we’ve enjoyed for years in our yard!!! We expected better professionalism than this! We are VERY unhappy with the service done!

Original review: May 18, 2022

We have construction on our street that required the gas to be turned off during the day during early March. We called to have service restored and they said they would come between 9am-12pm and someone needed to be home. My partner stayed home and no one came. At 12:15 he called. They reported that the rep came and no one answered, but we have a very loud dog who never barked. He then set up a new time, 3pm-6pm. Again, no one showed. We called at 6pm, they cancelled the appointment because we had already had one that day. They refused to come again until the next morning. All the customer service reps were nice enough, but management refused to do anything. Temperatures dropped into the 30s that night and my kids had to sleep in their winter coats with every blanket in the house. I was told I would be getting a call from their customer care team but never received one and they will not transfer me when I call the reps.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2021

She is just outstanding and super professional. I will hire her to run my business. The quality of work she represents is 2nd to none. She went beyond her means to take care of the business at hand. She deserves a raise. She needs to be in business on her own that she will be a millionaire.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2021

We lost power a couple times throughout the summer. 1 was almost a week. Now we lost power this past weekend for 3 days. Had power back 1 day and now we are without again. They are a joke. Terrible service. Every time the wind blows we seem to lose power. Then charge a service few every month which is more than the energy we lose. If you can go to DTE or Great Lakes. Stay away from Consumers.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Never use the appliance service plan with Consumers Energy! I am on the gold plan. They sent a contractor out to put a valve on my water heater and he installed it incorrectly, which has been a big problem for me. Now, they said they closed my case because they don't deal with install issues and they won't fix it. Are you kidding me!? I will cancel my contract come May!

Consumers Energy Company Information