Michigan

3.8/5 (189 ratings)

About Consumers Energy

Consumers Energy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumers Energy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Consumers Energy?

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

We purchased property and built a pole barn with a full bathroom and are living in an RV as we will be building a house soon. Because we do not currently have a house going in Consumers is charging us and extra $3000 to put in electric. They said we won't be using enough energy at this point and they need to make money. The amount could be refundable but most likely not, according to them.

We wanted to use Great Lakes Energy as they have much better ratings and were way less than half the cost of consumers, but consumers had a monopoly in our area and we had to ask permission from them to use Great Lakes, of course they said no way. So, we need electric so we has to pay out $5000!!! Now they keep putting off installing our service and actually did our neighbors' who bought their property months after we moved here, but they are putting a house up now, thus consumers sees $$ signs. We have no choice or recourse and this is completely wrong.

Original review: July 13, 2020

Had a very high bill and when I called first thing they ask is if I had central air and then proceeded to blame it all on that, didn't matter that my bill was way higher then last year and I had a inground pool running last year, I asked them to come out and check the meter and they wouldn't even think of that, they say there is nothing wrong with their smart meter ever.

Original review: July 12, 2020

After several mailings and e-mails I decided to sign up for the peak power savings program. What a nightmare it has been. Two individuals arrived appearing to be sub contracted to hook up the device. They slid my unit out, and screwed into my siding the device to control my AC. The first time I we went to use our AC the following spring 2019 it was not blowing cold. We had to call a service who said our refrigerant was low. We paid over $200 to get it fixed.

We suffered through the summer being regulated from 3-7pm during very hot days. Our furnace would run constantly, but the AC compressor would be off. I find it hard to believe that this is energy saving, when the furnace runs constantly. The contract also makes you unable to cancel the service until after a year. I knew that we would be canceling, but had to wait out the contract. The second summer 2020 again our system was low on refrigerant when we tried to use it. Another $200 dollar charge to get the system fixed. We have never before this ever had a problem with our AC.

I called to have the service turned off, and was told that a technician would come out to remove the control box. The technician was at our home just getting finished. We spoke briefly to him about the problems we had, since the system had been put in. He was surprised, and said that there was no reason the compressor should have been moved. He left. We went inside only to find that now our compressor will not turn on period. We checked the fuses, the shut off, and it will not work. I called, and was told a technician would come out in 5-7 days. No, not acceptable, I ask to speak to a supervisor. When she finally called, she ask me if the compressor worked before he took the switch off. Really, did it work, of course it worked. She then told me she would personally put a rush order in, but that it would take 48hrs. This whole situation is out of control, and unacceptable. Customer service is definitely not a priority.

Original review: June 26, 2020

Consumers had a subcontractor clear cut trees in the name of line management. But they left all the stumps for me to deal with. It was on the edge of a field that the trees were removed. So now that the trees are removed I would like to make the "best of it" and mow the area. I called them a couple times asking when they would remove the stumps. "Consumers does not remove the stumps" they said. I asked them for a check so I can rent equipment to do it. "We don't do that either" I was told.

I've bent 3 mower blades because of the stumps. "Not our problem". I asked when they were going to removed the logs, that were left over. Same response "Consumers doesn't do that". I also asked about getting my smart meter removed. I was told $120 something fee to swap it out. My bill has double and a few times tripled since it was installed." It gives a better and more accurate reading" they said. But I'm not able to switch service providers. So I can only hope that sooner or later Consumers comes to its senses and doesn't try and screw the little guy. Until then I guess I better get high quality lube for whenever the I have to deal with them or the bill comes in. Because I'm getting screwed over here.

Original review: April 22, 2020

Annitra answered the phone and I could hear her on the line. She didn't respond to my hellos until I figured I was having bad cell reception and almost hung up. She did get her job done. However if I had the option I would not deal with there condescending attitudes. My questions were ignored, so long as she got the steps to her job completed she was ready not to help any further than that.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

At 2:30pm I realized my furnace had not run on 1/16/2019 since earlier that day. I called the 888-221-4429 number to place a service claim. I finally got a call back from Air Comfort at 3:14, and they wanted to schedule a service call the following morning. NOT THAT NIGHT. In January, with claims of 24/7 response, I feel I should have had a service that same night. I called Consumers back to switch service suppliers, they said that they "WOULD NOT". I had been paying for the service contract since 2011, and felt that I deserved more prompt response.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I had a new whole house generator installed in March 2019 and communicated with Consumers Energy the need for an upgraded meter. At that time they told me it would be coordinated at the time of my generator installation. Much to my dismay, it is now September 2019 and the project is still not done. Without getting into all the grim details, suffice it to say this organization needs a course on communication skills. Even though each representative that I spoke to was friendly and courteous, there was a complete breakdown of communication between design, installation, and restoration. They must have wasted thousands if not tens of thousands on the job due to lack of leadership and organizational skills.

To this date, there is still a gaping hole in the road next to my drive that was dug to access the line that is still not filled. Not only is this an eyesore, but it is a dangerous cavity in the street that could cause human injury. Very disappointed in their performance. I have followed up with calls on at least 25-30 occasions without resolution.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Kevin the gentleman who works for Consumers Energy was so amazing. He discussed what the reason he was at our house. Explained in detail. Beyond polite. And had genuine concern for our safety. We appreciate Consumers Energy and the employees who do an amazing job representing your company. Thank you. Keep up the great service that you provide.

Original review: July 21, 2019

The amount being a charger for electric and the response time on a power outage almost 24 hours later our area hasn't even been a success. If I had the choice I would never have Consumers Energy ever. The amount of money that we pay our service should have been repaired hours ago. OUR AREA HAS NOT BEEN ASSESSED EVEN YET!! WTF IS THE HOLD UP!! They'd rather be up restoring it in the woods instead of in a residential area! We pay enough to have thousands out fixing our power issues. This company is not prepared for **. You suck Consumers Energy. Worst powerservice ever!!!!

Original review: June 8, 2019

I've had the unfortunate experience of having Consumers Energy since 2002. The power goes out consistently so much that I have been given a credit due to the frequency of the outages. Their engineers are incompetent. Their phone system is intentionally difficult to navigate. They spent 43.5 million dollars on political campaigns but can't keep the power on. Call the Michigan Public Service Commission and file complaints and get this company as much as you can.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I built my home alongside of Consumers Energy power lines and bought property across the road that the same lines cross. We had a fire a couple of weeks ago caused by a tree falling on the wires, fortunately the DNR, FD and Consumers Energy responded quickly and limited the damage to a couple of acres. Consumers quickly sent out a crew from Asplundh to remove any other threats. Also would like to thank Asplundh for sending out a great crew (Dan ** and Mike his supervisor). They were very respectful of me and my property.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Updated on 11/11/2021: Had the forestry department come out and dot trees to be cut or trimmed by the power lines a few years ago. I talked with him and told him the trees bending over the line will snap. I was told I was a fool and that they are hardwoods and will not snap. February 2019 with the ice storm.... Took out the pole, transformer, ripped the mast off my home, and set my home on fire. Battled it out with the insurance company who gave me $.50 on the dollar to replace everything that was damaged. I complained to the BBB and on this site. I got a nice man from Hudsonville contact me and I told him they are responsible for anything 13 feet on either side of the wire and poles. He wanted proof. So I took a tape measure and measure the first tree at 6 feet from the pole.

He came out within a few days and another crew spent another 3 days cutting down trees. It took that much effort just to get quality service... Now, my home and 46 other homes are battling no power issues NON STOP. Yes it is a wooded area. That is not my fault. Consumers got their raise in rates. I want better service. I lost power yesterday and I am running on a generator once again today. I have talked with the "on call" staff and they say it's usually just a branch that trips the breaker. IF THE BRANCH IS THAT CLOSE, cut it. Cut the 13 feet on either side!

I am 100% sure I could go to every home on this 46 home circuit and get signatures of those disgusted and mistreated we are. I'm tired of getting credited. I have a smart meter. They know every time my power goes out. Yet I have to have dates and times and for how long to get any sort of credit. What customer service.... I would be happy paying what I pay to get little to no power issues and immediate credits. CUT THE TREES!!!!

Original: They came through in November 2018 to mark and cut/trim trees. Then the February 2019 ice storm hit in Michigan. The trees that were not marked because "hardwood trees don't split", split and broke my power pole and took power out for multiple homes. Once the Line supervisor got to my house, he said my house was the worst hit out of everyone. Took 3 trucks and 8 hours to get restored. The company to cut trees were already here and wouldn't have taken any time to cut them down. It isn't like I can cancel Consumers Energy and go through another company. I am stuck. So I contacted the Better Business Bureau. The forestry guy came back out and said that he will cut only one tree. That company is here now cutting the one tree and said they feel that more than one of the trees need to be taken down but it isn't their call, the forestry supervisor knows all.

I have lost power since February 5 times for hours on end. The rate should be reduced due to quality of delivering to its customers. I was told that they want 10 feet of clearing around the lines and poles. I have some that are 4 feet away. Forestry supervisor says, "We are throwing the dice to see what is more cost effective." What is more cost effective is taking care of your customers, bottom line! So, now, I told him I will have the line taken down and cut the trees myself since he is too afraid to use money to better my service quality. I have to use my resources and my money to take the trees that would stop my service and others around me because, well, frankly, he is too lazy... Consumers Energy Forestry Division in Grand Rapids, MI.

Original review: April 25, 2019

Energy has always been somewhat expensive but ever since we've gotten our smart meter our bills have gone through the roof. Bills have been so expensive that we shut all of our power off during the day in the summer and our bills are still over $200 a month! A few months ago our bills were significantly smaller so we just assumed that our prayers had been answered and they were finally charging a fair amount for the electricity we were using.

Turns out that whoever installed our smart meter did it wrong and the meter wasn't accurately reading how much energy we were using. Instead of taking the fall for the accident they wanted to blame us for tampering with it. Well if you didn't know, you can't mess with the meter because if you try it will trigger something that sends an employee out right away. They are terrible at dealing with customers.

We aren't rude people and we don't disrespect their employees, so it's sad when they disrespect us. They also act like they are all high and mighty when walking onto our property. We live in the country and they parked on the side of our road and walked onto a random spot on our property! Didn't even bother driving into our driveway that was open with two entrances! It's a big deal because we have dogs who are protective, and while they probably wouldn't hurt anyone we don't want to risk euthanization because of careless Consumers Energy employees. I can only hope that there will be a better company to go through in the near future. If you can I would avoid consumers energy at all costs. They are entitled money hungry people who are disrespectful to their customers and their property.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Consumers cut down trees on our property that could have just been trimmed. They took them right down to the ground. Effectively destroying our windbreak. Then they want us to turn down the heat. Lmao. Um no. I won't do anything to help this company out after the disregard they showed me.

Original review: March 13, 2019

They must not want their money until they get to ** you with fees. To begin, I am not from this state. I was under the impression DTE was our gas and Electric. Nope. Six months in this place not a single bill. Landlord hasn’t said anything to us. Power worked fine. One day power was off called DTE boom... They aren’t our provider for electric. Imagine that. SIX MONTHS LATER.

SO. I call. I get this girl who cannot even comprehend the words coming out of my mouth. I work in customer service (on the phone in particular) so I am laughing trying to make light of it because it ain’t her fault. But lord have mercy was she dumb. D-U-M-B DUMB. Whatever. She gets my info, gives me some number. Says nothing about how much we owe and then says I’ll get a bill backdated (only 3 months or so) for us to pay via email and mail. We got nothing. So I go online and it don’t work. I am very busy. I forgot. My bad.

Come home to no power. Okay, call and sort it out. They never changed the account. So my roommate gives them his info... Send him to another person to pay. They can’t take payment without an account number. They send him to another department they say he’s never been entered in... What? Okay maybe it takes more than 20 min. He goes to the automated payment thing. It hangs up after taking payment. We call back. WAIT 45 min! They still never updated the damn account. Wtf?! Now we have fees and ** to pay and we have sat in the dark for over an hour waiting and we paid an hour ago.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Twice we called regarding our outage. One person told us that's what homeowner's insurance is for, the other one told us to go buy a generator. We have reported a particular spot on our street that is problematic. It is the same spot every time we lose power where they fix it. Obviously it requires maintenance. 7 people were told. Still no resolution.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Had a Smart meter installed in April 2018. I have both autopay and no paper bills so haven't paid any attention to my Consumer's Energy costs until yesterday. To my horror, the readings have remained the same since the installation. Contacted Consumers and was told that a meter reader had come out in December 2018, my guess is that they knew at that time that there was something amiss. Well, guess what? It's is February 2019 and the meter today still shows the same reading from April 2018! When I called they said that they will see why the meter isn't transmitting the readings and that they will "work with me" regarding the billing. I was trying to look online at my detailed bills from 2017 and they are not available, only the amount paid. More reasons for me to start up paper bills once again.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My electrical usage has skyrocketed since Smart Meter installed. Found out the Meter they installed in Oct. was defective when Nov. reading was 4 times the average usage. I went to the Meter on the house to confirm what they say was an actual read and the Meter was blank. Called Consumers and they tried to ping it for a reading and it would not read. They replaced meter but estimated another 400 reading. They tell me there was no defective meter - it worked just not on my end. This is absolute robbery, we have no way to check them. They can charge whatever they want and we pay or they shut off power. This has got to be stopped. Get rid of Smart Meters - they are tools used to capitalize.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Our bill has increased by about 40% since the smart meter was installed, but that's not even the worst of the problems. My ears have been ringing for weeks, my 7 year old son suddenly has asthma. My 8 year old daughter is suddenly getting headaches. Our 8 year old neighbor is also suddenly getting headaches. I have a chronic pain condition that has gotten worse recently. Overall, the health of my family has decreased dramatically since the smart meter has been installed.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Consumers Energy has stopped with new pole setting for over two years at my property. Today, last weekend of deer season & I have guys & trucks setting poles on my property. They never said anything about starting the work again. Two years ago when here last a worker decided to crap in my yard. Three of us here walked through the human crap & destroyed our boots! I talked to the foreman minutes after this happened with the proof still on our pants & boots. He made his worker clean up the spot where he crapped. I can say this company has been a joke on all matters with my property! Very inconsiderate, trashed my boots & pants, ruined my deer season & have heard nothing back from customer service about my replacement of boots two years & waiting! I would give them a zero if able! What a joke!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Single mom. Still no power in the middle of winter! I subleased a place and went to have the electric put in my name, Consumers Energy shut the power off and had yet to turn it back on! Their reason is that the previous tenants didn’t pay their bill!! I have nothing to do with the previous tenants! They don’t live here. I have no outstanding bills and have turned in all lease agreements and proof I have nothing to do with the previous tenants, and still nothing! It’s three weeks before Christmas and consumers has left my 7 year old and I without power for five days!!

I have called over 100 and have yet to even speak with someone that can handle my case. They keep sending me to a voicemail and no one has called me back! All my food that was in the fridge and freezer totaling over $300 is now bad! I still have no idea when they will turn on the power! I have even offered to pay the previous tenants' bill to get it resolved and no one will give me an amount or an answer! Consumers Energy you should be ashamed of yourself! If I had another option I would never ever use them!! Again I have no previous bill. All accounts on my end have always been current and up to date!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

New gas meter installed today 11-15-2018. Took gas meter read after installer left - did not see meter read before installation. For 15 days gas use we are at 4.6 cf. For the past 3 years I have been averaging 5.8 cf for this time of year. It looks like I am headed toward 9.2 cf doing the math. This is almost double - something is definitely not right. We will have to see actual bill/readings come Dec. 3, 2018. Does not look good.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Not so smart, smart meters: We moved into this farmhouse almost 3 years ago, We have Consumers Energy as our electric supplier. We are on a limited income so we were put on a budget program in which we paid a set amount monthly. Consumers has put one of their smart meters on our house and our energy has skyrocketed. When I use their energy calculator, it says we should have a conservative bill of approx. $150 per month, well it's over $1.k. We asked for another meter and were turned down, they have our bill at over 6k now and say pay by Dec.7 or will be disconnected. We have a new TV, a stove, dryer, fan, water pump, electric water heater. We have a garage with only a radio, pasture without a fencer plugged in, no reason for this high of a bill but we can not get them to see what's the problem and may be forced to move.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I had gas turned on (New Service start) 7/30/2018. I was billed twice and I had paid both bills. When the temperatures started going down, I turned on the heat but only cold air was blowing. I called Consumers Energy and the representative I spoke with informed me that they had mailed a letter to me requesting for my ID and since they did not get anything from me they disconnected service. The representative said someone will be in touch with me and they will restore service within 2-3 days. I called Consumers Energy and spoke to Randy who said he will set appointment with the technician on 10/24/18 and that I will get a call 20 minutes before they come out.

It is past 10/24/18 and I did not receive that call. So today 10/25 I called Consumers Energy and spoke with Jessica. She said the service can be turned on today, our phones got disconnected but she called me back and reported she can have a technician come next week 10/31/18. No specific time was given but the technician will call me 20 minutes before getting to my home. I doubt this will happen for the simple fact that I do not have estimated time. Consumers Energy should better customer care service. $30 credit does not equate my disappointment and discomfort for their lack of urgency to satisfy their customers. If my area had alternative to gas utility, I would not use Consumers Energy, neither would I recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I just moved into a new home. I called Consumers Energy on Monday 10/22/2018 to set up a time to have someone come out and turn on my heat because my MOVE IN date was 10/23/2018. I spoke with a lady that afternoon and she set me up an account and informed me I could have someone come out to my house on 10/23/2018 between 12 and 4p (Something of that timeframe). She even gave me a confirmation number.

So the next day 10/23/2018 I waited 'til about 4ish and I called them back. I spoke to a different lady and she said my appointment was for NOVEMBER! This doesn't make sense because November wasn't even talked about and I never agreed to that. I agreed to 10/23/2018. So the new lady I spoke with did something and told me someone would come out that same day 10/23/2018 anytime before 10:30 pm. So as I'm already frustrated I agreed to wait 'til 10:30 pm.

Now it's 7p then 8p then 9p and still no one so I decided to call and make sure they didn't mess up my stuff again. AND THEY DID! Now an automated system tells me my appointment is for another day this week (I never agreed to) and so I proceeded to speak with a representative. Now this new lady (A third lady tells me something different AGAIN) she states my appointment date is now 10/25/2018! How is this happening? I was never asked about these days. I was told I could have 10/23/2018 TWICE!

Now I get there are other peoples emergencies that are far more important than mine, but what is the point of me having a schedule timeframe for you guys to come assist me if you guys are going to NOT LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS. I waited in a freezing cold house all day because you guys told me I would be assisted, and I made a prior scheduled appointment day.

Finally after my 3rd call to you guys that day a nice gentleman showed up to my house. He was able to assist me in turning my heat on. I am very happy that I ended up with having heat. But what I am not happy about is how can you guys tell me I have an appointment for a day but then you guys turn around and change it THREE TIMES! WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE. I NEVER OK'D ANY OF THAT.

THOSE REPRESENTATIVES ARE NICE TALKERS, BUT MESSED UP EVERYTHING ALL DAY! This is my first time working with you guys as this is my first home! And I should have been excited but I ended up crying in a freezing cold house because you guys kept messing up my schedules! Fix this so no one else has to feel like they don't matter. This was just disrespectful. I never experienced something this bad.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Good morning, I'm not sure where to start, I order the appliance protection program back in June. I have made 2 payments with this program. I called Sunday morning to have someone come out and look at my central air unit. But there was a mess up with my account which was fixed and they were supposed to have some call me to have my 15 day waiting period waive due to the mistake on whoever enter my account. Never got a call until 4 pm yesterday from a Consumers worker name Paul to look at my AC unit. I never had an appointment but he said he would come look at it and put the new part in that I just bought for it.

Paul was here for about an hour and put the new capacitor in, but then he tried to start it but never turn on the breaker or at the thermostat. He was very unsure and while we were both standing there he did something and it blew up. The compressor blew up knocked him on his butt and sparks flew, This would define my life then there was a loud hissing noise which was the Freon and oil leaking out of the compressor. Then he just left and said there wasn't anything left to do. So he left with my air conditioner worst than it was. He blew up my system. I was SUPER concerned that it was a fire hazard so I called a local company for heating/cooling to make sure my house wasn't going to burn down. He asked who was out here and what they did, so I showed him. He has had a problem with Paul also and knew exactly who I was talking about.

He looked everything over and said the ONLY way this compressor would have blown up is if it was wired wrong. Paul said he put new connectors on which the new heating and cooling company could not find which connectors he put on. I then called the appliance repair service number and whoever I spoke with yelled at me and told me so sorry but there's nothing that can be done. I understand done everything to fix it and it doesn't work however you made my system worse and then just left me with a hole in the side of my compressor. I didn't think your company would make it worse, damaging it more. My house is 87 degrees, my 20.00 dollar part has now cost me 2400. I would like to speak with someone that help resolve my problem.

Original review: June 30, 2018

On Tuesday June 26, James came to my home to assess for energy efficiency. Friends and acquaintances had told me about the energy assessments but I never scheduled one. When I received the notice in the mail to schedule the visit, I did so. Best decision I've made. James was professional and provided education for saving energy that was understandable to the lay person and the suggestions were not over the top expensive and something I can do on my own.

As I had heard, but found hard to believe, he provided me with LED light bulbs indoors and outdoors and LED night lights, a new water saving shower head, new filters for the water faucets, checked my large appliances for efficiency, and gave me tips for sealing my ducts in the basement to save energy. James provided an analysis of his findings and offered the $100 coupon for a more extensive and comprehensive assessment of my home. James was respectful of my home, putting the booties on his shoes and he was respectful and courteous to me. James provided me all the information for rebates and numbers to call for problems and issues. The appliance service is awesome - paying me $50 to take my refrigerator away! Who does that?? Thank you to Consumers Energy for providing this service and thank you to James for taking the time to help me make my home more energy efficient. Very grateful.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Consumers Energy installed new gas lines to all residents of St Clair Shores MI. They showed ill regard to my home when they performed their work last fall. There were 4 broken sprinkler heads, some of my landscaping were damaged, and large chunks of clay from the ground were tossed over a professionally landscaped front yard. The worst is yet to come. I now get water in my basement directly in the area where they dug. This never happened until they came on my property. I am worried about the mold that is accumulating behind the drywall of a finished basement. Conveniently, Consumers Energy is not accepting any responsibility. I learned that this has happened to another resident on my street and they have also been declined. I want justice! Their carelessness is much more than this. But my water damaged basement with each heavy rain is a huge concern. They need to own this.

Original review: May 25, 2018

My gas meter was shut off. I had no idea why. I didnt even realize it at first. I noticed some things not working. I tried fixing several things then finally realized the gas was shut off. I double checked that I paid my bill. I had. I am on auto pay. So we thought maybe the neighborhood kids were messing around. We turned it back on ourselves. We had no notification on our door that there was an issue. Fast forward on our way to work the next morning we found a green tag in our driveway from Consumers Energy that our gas had been shut off. No reason why.

I called and was told that my meter had been changed. No phone call that they would be out. No appointment made. No nothing. Just shut off my gas. If I'm late on a bill they call but shutting off my gas is no reason to call. I worked 14 hours that day and got home at 11pm at night. This is what I came home to. I am furious. How dare they shut off my gas with no attempt to reach me. I want an explanation. This is business policy is completely unacceptable to me. I am a hard working good paying customer. I have earned a phone call.

Original review: May 24, 2018

Bills are misleading... if you over pay and are on the budget plan, your bill will show a credit where one doesn't even exist... By the time all is said and done your final bill on budget plan could potentially be 3 times your normal fee. Customer service and its "supervisor" ** are EXTREMELY CONDESCENDING. Guess I pay the 342 because Consumers is a monopoly...no other gas company to choose from.

Consumers Energy Company Information