smarTours Reviews

About smarTours

With smarTours, you can visit the world’s must-see destinations and stay safe while you travel. The company offers a collection of over 50 affordable trips to locations in the U.S. and around the globe. When purchasing a tour package, you can decide between "all in" pricing (with airfare from a U.S. airport) or booking your own flights. smarTours takes the stress out of planning so you can focus on enjoying your travel experience.

smarTours Reviews

Stars Rating

• 31%
  • 69%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about smarTours?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about smarTours?

Reviewed July 5, 2022

Customer Service is horrible. Call six times and you will either get no answer or all different answers. They cheated me out of $349 and gave me the run around. DO Not use them, Spoke with many people on the tour and most said they are done with SmarTours.

Pinned

Hi Rob. I see that you were on our recent Ireland departure. We have opened an investigation into what went wrong on this particular tour. We deeply regret that this trip did not live up to your standards, and absolutely does not live up to ours. You should have received a communication from our management team following up with information on how they plan to rectify these issues. Thank you.

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed March 14, 2022

We booked the Magical Ireland Tour. It had to be cancelled and rebooked twice, due to covid. I received an email from Smartours saying I have a $150 credit. When I called to use it for the payment due on the trip we are finally taking, I was told I can't use it, even though it's a COVID credit, because I have another small credit I'm using from the original deposit I paid. I can only use it by booking a 2nd trip to a different destination. I consider this misleading advertising and don't understand why, if the credit is mine, I can't use it for the trip I've been trying to take for over 2 years. I was told to "read the fine print" at the bottom of the page.

Pinned

Annette, we are so sorry for the confusion regarding this credit. We issued credits to all passengers for payments made against trips suspended due to COVID-19 during 2020. Once passengers used their credit to book a new trip, and paid for that trip in full, we issued an additional $150 credit as a thank you for coming back to us. Our intent was indeed that you would be able to use this on your next trip, but we are so sorry that it was handled in such a way. We do hope you enjoy Ireland!

Reviewed Feb. 2, 2022

Here's my experience with the Smart Tour agency: 1) I had one reservation for 2021 (i.e., Germany Christmas Market), This trip was cancelled due to the rise of COVID by the trade agency. And this Tavel agency provided options to either receive credit for future travels or getting refund. I requested refund and I did receive two different emails from their payroll management (Mr Chis ** & Tyrell **) that I will be receiving my refund by 1/19/2022, not only I did not receive my refund they are not responding to my emails anymore. I would suggest to anyone be really careful if you are planning to book a travel with this agency because they are not reliable plus they have lots a bad reviews with YELP.

2) I had another reservation for 2022 (i.e., Jewels of Adriatic), This trip also was suspended/cancelled by the travel agency. I paid $600 as non-refundable deposit and I was hoping to receive a credit for the $600 but they are not responding. By the way, I am discussing my matters with my lawyer for further actions.

Pinned

Dear Masoud, thank you for your feedback, and we are so sorry this turned out to be such a frustrating experience, and needed to be escalated so many times. We were able to resolve the refund issue in January and the additional credits have been restored to your account for future travel. There have definitely been many bumps in the road to recovery from the pandemic, and we know we need to do better. Thank you for patience, and we do hope to see you on a future trip!

Reviewed Nov. 6, 2021

We were sold a "land only" South Africa tour in June, 2020. Smartours reversed the schedule on us shortly before we were to leave Aug, 2021. They informed us they would reimburse us the cost of fees incurred to rearrange hotels, flights that we had to change in order to accommodate their change in schedule. This amount was $796.64. We have not received anything in spite of their manager telling us that we would be reimbursed.

Pinned

Pamela, we are so sorry that this turned into such a frustrating experience for you. Navigating travel in these COVID times has certainly been challenging for us and for our customers. We’re sorry that the last minute changes by the airline resulted in such a headache for you, both in terms of rescheduling your flight, and in getting your reimbursement from smarTours. According to our records, the amount was reimbursed in November. We apologize for the delay, and hope you will consider us again.

Coverage

Reviewed March 7, 2021

I was never refunded for my trip to Vietnam and lost $2552.00 I cancelled my February 4th trip on January 27th due to my Covid concerns. Our trip was on Air China with a very long layover in Shanghai. I had insurance but of course they said it did not cover a Pandemic. I had travel solely with Smartours for years and had brought many other travelers with me. To me it was disgraceful as this was a huge decision to make. I was not unaware enough to think I could travel through China and not be exposed to the Corona Virus. I was truly disappointed with them and realized that I did not count as a human trying not to bring this awful thing back to the USA. Obviously my life and the life of others was less important then the money they kept.

Reviewed Nov. 16, 2020

Booked a tour to Ireland along with 4 other people in my party. The tour scheduled for May 2020 was cancelled. Operator refused to refund our money ($4900 for myself and my husband) and gave us a credit for a future tour in May 2021. Now they have filed for bankruptcy so it is unlikely that we'll ever see the money. Fortunately, we had booked our airfare separately with Delta and they did refund our money as they are trustworthy. We had a positive experience with SmarTours on 2019, which is why we had booked again. I agree that a class action suit is in order and if anyone knows how to proceed, please post. There are thousands of us in this situation and as retirees on a fixed income we cannot afford to write off nearly $5000.

Pinned

We're sorry for the frustration you experienced and for this late reply. Like many businesses impacted by the pandemic, we lost much of our staff and struggled to keep up with our customers' needs. We were also forced to make difficult decisions like updating our cancellation policy to offer affected customers a future tour credit in place of a monetary refund. We hope you'll continue to share feedback with us as we work to rebuild our business and restore the levels of service you expect.

Verified purchase

Reviewed Oct. 22, 2020

SmarTours filed for Chapter 11 on 10/19/20. Chances of getting a refund is slim to none. We had nothing but good experiences under prior management, having gone on a dozen or so trips over the years. However, our efforts to obtain a refund upon our cancellation PRIOR to their Covid cancellation was unsuccessful. Perhaps a class action is in order.

Reviewed Oct. 14, 2020

I am another customer who paid in full for a tour that was canceled due to Covid-19--the total is nearly $3,000. SmarTours is refusing to refund any money--and they have not responded to my many emails, letters, or phone calls about this matter. I, too, was given the run-around by supervisor Tyrell: they were reviewing my request, they were not issuing any more refunds for 6 - 8 weeks, I would get a call/email back with an answer, etc. Nothing ever happened; they never responded.

In August, I filed a complaint against SmarTours with the Better Business Bureau in NYC where their main offices are located. They did not respond to my complaint the first time, nor the second time. I agree that their plan is to stall, stonewall, and delay--and then likely go out of business. We need to act before that happens. To that end, I have contacted the law firm in California who filed the class action suit against EF Tours who was also refusing to issue refunds. This amount is far too much for me to simply write off or let go. Also, SmarTours doing this is just wrong, plain and simple.

Pinned

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and we're sorry for the frustration. We lost much of our staff in the early and toughest days of the pandemic and struggled to keep up with our customers' needs. We were also forced to make difficult decisions like updating our cancelation policy and offering affected customers a future tour credit in place of a monetary refund. We understand the frustrations caused by this outcome and are working to restore the levels of service you expect.

Reviewed Oct. 13, 2020

My tour to Morocco was cancelled, due to Coronavirus. The country of Morocco closed its doors to travellers. Smartours has not refunded any of my payment (almost $4000). They cannot be reached. Phone calls and emails are not.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Sept. 30, 2020

We had booked the Smartours trip to Portugal for 6/1/2020 and paid ($4558) for it in early March. The trip was canceled due to COVID and we requested a refund per the advice of their phone agents. Finally we reached the head of Customer Service Tyrell ** who informed us 2 weeks ago that we would get our Full refund shortly. Today on 9/3020 we now hear sorry no refunds just a credit. We like many are up in years and may not have the time to wait for safe travel to resume. Other tour companies like OAT and Gate One have returned the money. These crooks at Smartours have played games and hide behind the poor phone staff. We have travel under the old ownership and they were always good to us now this! I guess they are only interested in pulling in money now from new trips booked and screw the ones that they have already gotten paid from. Yes a class action suit would be good but not sure they will survive this pandemic anyway.

Pinned

We're sorry for the frustration and for this late response. We know that our team wasn't always able to respond in the timely manner you've come to expect, and we're taking steps to improve our communications and response times. As it became clear that COVID-19 would have a lasting impact on our ability to travel, we updated our cancelation policy to offer affected customers a future tour credit in place of a monetary refund. We understand the frustration caused by this outcome.

Reviewed Sept. 22, 2020

I paid $3,500 last February, for a trip to Eastern Europe that was canceled due to the pandemic, I have an email stating that I would receive a check... That was 7 months ago, every time I call they say that they aren’t issuing any checks for 6-8 more weeks. How is taking thousands of dollars from a customers and not giving them anything in return not theft? We need a class action suit!

Customer ServiceContract & TermsStaff

Reviewed June 30, 2020

SmarTours owes me my $1,200 deposit for two trips that I booked, $600 per trip. The first was a trip to Budapest, Vienna and Prague May 6-16, 2020. Smartours cancelled it on March 14, 2020. The second trip was to Cape Town Dec 9-17, 2020. Given the Covid-19 outbreak, that trip will not be running. On March 9, Smartours sent an email stating: “Your health and safety is our number one priority. Therefore, effective today, we are modifying our cancellation policy for all tours departing March 14-June 30. We want you to have peace of mind when you travel and trust that smartours will guide you safely through your must-see destinations. If you wish to cancel your trip, we will provide a full credit on what you paid (minus trip insurance and airline fees) if you wish to book a different tour or date to depart before the end of 2021. If you wish to cancel a tour departing after June 30, our normal Terms & conditions apply.”

I am not a bank: I do not want to lend Smartours $1,200 for an indeterminate amount of time. I cannot afford to do so. It is simply not fair, honorable, or good business that they are keeping my $1,200 deposit for these trips – a trip they cancelled and another that will certainly not run. No one from Smartours responded to my email or phone calls. On Dec 5, 2019, owner Greg Geronemus had sent us an email stating that the company had been sold: the new management is headed by Christine Peterson. And therein lies the problem. I always found Greg and his partner David a delight to deal with, as they were fair, honest, and accessible. We spoke at travel shows and at cocktail parties.

The new management, headed by Christine Peterson, is not acting in good faith. Just the opposite. Let’s be frank here: Smartours and all the other tour operators who treat their customers unfairly like this will likely be out of business before they can rebook or substitute anything. Ironically, their new booking policy does not require any deposit. Sincerely, Laurie **.

Reviewed June 22, 2020

I booked a tour to Italy, over $5k. Smartours canceled it. Cannot get an answer about a refund. Insurance for travel with Tripmate is slow to respond also. I have a bad feeling about this. We need a class action lawsuit.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed May 15, 2020

Despicable company policy. Obviously they have canceled my May 2020 trip to Greece and have forced me to accept rebooking next May. Whoa to anyone in my group next year because I will be very unhappy to have to travel with this company next year or ever. I called, I emailed, I wrote the president a letter asking for a refund. How dare they continue to have the use of my money – full payment – when they failed to provide services I contracted for? I have also requested info re travel insurance for the 2021 trip and, no surprise, no response. Horrible company. So many more trustworthy brands out there that care about their long time biz - I suspect this company is destined to go bankrupt and that is why they are keeping the money.

Pinned

As mentioned in our responses to your other posts, we're sorry for the frustration you experienced and for this late reply. Like many businesses, we lost much of our staff during the early and toughest days of the pandemic and struggled to keep up with our customers' needs. Due to the extraordinary circumstances that the pandemic brought, we updated our cancelation policy to offer a future tour credit in place of a refund. We understand the frustrations caused by this outcome.

Reliability

Reviewed May 12, 2020

Booked a trip to Italy for 9/20. Wanted to reschedule to 9/21 due to Covid19. Company is not at all willing to negotiate anything. In fact they asked us to make our next $600 ($300/person) deposit by 4/20/20 or we would lose our original $600 deposit. We figured we’d rather lose our deposit than our lives. Company totally unresponsive. Everyone else we know who has had trips booked with different companies have found flexibility in rescheduling for a future date. Smartours is dumb.

Pinned

Hello Linda - We appreciate your feedback and we're sorry for the frustration you experienced. Like many businesses, we lost much of our staff during the early days of the pandemic and struggled to keep up with our customers' needs. We have made updates to our policies to offer affected customers such as yourself a future tour credit for any monies paid including the deposit. We're working hard to restore the levels of service you expect and hope you'll consider using your credit with us.

Reviewed May 11, 2020

I took the SmarTours Splendors of Egypt trip on 2/18-3/1. It was just so-so because the trip leader and day guides were so-so. The hotels were nice, but I won't travel with this company again because of the lack of organization. When I arrived at the Marriott Cairo, SmarTours left no information on where we were to met. I'm used to a welcoming e-mail ahead to give us information like I get from Overseas Adventure Travel. Yes, you get what you pay for!

Hello Marsha,

We're happy to hear you enjoyed your accommodations but are sorry that some other aspects of your trip didn't meet your expectations. Based on feedback like yours, we've we have already implemented changes that will help upon arrival. We appreciate you providing the feedback because it helps us improve our offering for all of our guests. We hope you'll consider us again in the future.

The smarTours Team

Reviewed May 1, 2020

We booked a tour to Croatia and Slovenia scheduled to depart 5/13/2020. They cancelled the tour due to the Coronavirus pandemic and have refused to refund our money. They are offering a credit towards a future trip, who knows if or when this will ever happen or if Smartours will still be in business after the pandemic. I used them several times in the past, but this had taught me that they are unscrupulous company! To be forewarned is to forarmed!

Hello Karen,

Thank you for your feedback and we're sorry for the frustration you experienced. We believe we were able to work with you to resolve this offline but if you have any additional comments or feedback, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at feedback@smarTours.com.

The smarTours Team

Price

Reviewed Dec. 9, 2019

I recently returned from a 21 day Around the World Tour to London, Cairo, Bangkok, Bali, Sydney, and Fiji. It was my first trip with smarTours. The price of the tour was so reasonably priced that I did not have high expectations. I was so wrong. The hotels were wonderful. I’m sure I gained 5 pounds from the breakfast buffets. At each destination we were given a driving overview of the city. The included excursions were educational and enlightening, usually about their specific unique culture. The guides each brought their unique perspective and background demonstrating their love of their country.

I especially loved the free time we had (except in Cairo where we were escorted by “tourist police” for our protection.). We were given options for extra excursions or we mapped our own plans for dinner, theater, museums, or shopping. Several times our group of 18 requested a special trip and the guides made it happen. I hope to travel with smarTours in the future!

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Nov. 9, 2019

If I could give smarTours zero stars I would. I have been in a dispute with smarTours for four months now. smarTours made a mistake on my last name and never fixed it! Luckily, the day before the trip I called to ensure my name was correct on my ticket. It wasnt! The day of the trip I was calling back and forth with smarTours until they came to the conclusion that they needed me to pay 150$ to fix a mistake they made or I can chose to not go on the cruise and wastes thousands! With months of calling and filing complaints on the BBB they promised me a refund and lied to my credit card company saying they did give me a check. They never did. They never call you back when they say they will. The customer service here is the WORST EVER. The stress smarTours has given me the day of my trip really set a horrible mood for my trip I was planning for a year. When putting so much money into a trip like I did you want to make sure you have good customer service and a fast response in case there are problems. Go to a different company and be stress free!

Customer ServiceCoveragePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Aug. 16, 2019

Went on Best of the Orient tour. The travel time was very exhausting. Flight from LAX to Hong Kong was 14 hours and 20 minutes. Waited at Hong Kong Airport for Three hours, then took a flight to Thailand. The flight time was 2 hours 30 minutes. Arrived at Bangkok airport and waited two hours to tour guide to collect everyone, then over one hour ride to hotel! My wife and I became ill in Hong Kong along with other passengers. Our guide contact the hotel manager requesting a doctor. The doctor gave us antibiotics. The hotel charged a $100 concierge fee to attend with the doctor. The medical doctor charged $1,074 U. S. Dollars for his services!!

We submitted our claim for medical cost to Tripmate on December 13, 2018. The insurance did not acknowledge receipt of our claim until January 28, 2019. We spent many hours dealing with this insurance company. They never answered the phone. You select call back option and if you miss the call you need to start the loop over. They indicated they could not process our claim unless the had a letter from Medicare that out of country travel is not covered, This Request was just to delay payment. We call SmarTours to see if they could investigate. They said send and email to support. We did and received a response that someone will be in touch with you in six weeks. They were of no help and would not intervene, yet this is the insurance the offer their travelers.

We finally received reimbursement today, August 15, 2019. We met a lot of nice people and saw some nice sights, but unfortunately our trip was ruined because of the greed of the Hong Kong doctor and hotel and the non existent service my Tripmate and SmarTours. PS: I tried to place a review on the SmarTours website but they only allow positive reviews. Don’t use Tripmate and choose a tour company that will probably vet their hotels and third party service staff.

Verified purchase
    Sales & Marketing

Reviewed Aug. 15, 2019

Tour was not as advertised when we paid for it. Many cities, shore excursions, additional land tours were deleted from the itinerary last minute without explanation. Shore excursions were cut short by up to 2 hrs without explanation.. The riverboat was changed to a lesser vessel with very small, cramped, accommodations. We had issues with a public bathroom flooding into our cabin. We were not told our trip was booked during a German Religious Holiday, consequently most cities visited were shut down..

We were promised a half day in Rotterdam and a full day and a half in Amsterdam. The former was completely eliminated and we arrived in Amsterdam at 3:00 pm the day before departure allowing for a fast paced walking tour of a small part of the city lasting 21/2 hours. Flights were scheduled so early travelers were asked to be up and on the bus by 4:30 am to depart for their flights not allowing any time at night in Amsterdam. When brought to the attention of smarTours my mother and I were given a very small refund $200.00 for the inconvenience of the cabin flood and told they would not discuss the "bait and switch" trip.. All without explanation.. Our weather was perfect, the river was at a perfect flow.

Reviewed Aug. 6, 2019

My wife and I went on a Scandinavian tour with an add on for St. Petersburg, Russia. I found that the guides for Sweden, Norway and Denmark were adequate but there were too many free days where we were left on our own. The hotel rooms were good for backpackers but not for senior citizens. Most of the time we had to carry our own luggage which on other tours it was always done for us. Many of the hotels did not have porters. We found that the guide in Finland was horrible. She changed the political history of her country to favorable. After googling what she said, we found out she lied. The nicest part of our trip was to St. Petersburg. The hotel was very nice and the guide that we had was extremely knowledgeable and helped us with all of our needs. Also the tour booked all the air flights for the tour my wife and I were never seated together, how absurd. This was my first tour with smarTours and also my last.

Reviewed June 17, 2019

This may look like a reasonably priced tour, but be aware that many highlights such as the 4 famous piazzas of Rome and the Uffizi in Florence are OPTIONAL tours! Many of the travelers had traveled with smarTours before and were not happy with this one. The accommodations were average. Some of the guides were excellent; others were fair. The company requests feedback, but I waited 19 days before I received a perfunctory response and that only after I contacted them numerous times. I will not travel with smarTours again!

Reviewed May 31, 2019

I recently visited India’s Golden Triangle—Delhi, Agra and Jaipur with a stop at Ranthambore to see the Bengal tigers. Though India did not disappoint me, the accommodations chosen by smarTours and especially our farewell dinner did. I must say one thing remained consistently above excellence, our tour-guide Jasvir **. He more than made up for all the deficiencies in the hotels and the heat. Our Delhi hotel was good but every accommodation after that went in decline—faulty AC, noise, quality of food and service in restaurants. Our farewell dinner was practically inedible. Because of Jasvir’s knowledge of the history, geography, politics, culture, his personal experience, his clear English, wonderful humor, charismatic personality, caring ways and professional but interesting and engaging presentation of his knowledge, the journey through a piece of India’s heart was truly an incredible learning experience.

Reviewed May 5, 2019

My experience was great until we were coming back home. We were all on stand by when we got our tickets. We all started to panic. There were 10 in our party and 33 overall on this trip. A few did get assigned seats but the rest of us had to wait until a ticket agent came. This should not have happened. We paid for our trip and expected full service all the way.

Reviewed April 20, 2019

Jeremy's amazing breadth and depth of knowledge was beyond any I have experienced with a Tour Guide - and I have been on quite a number of trips through the years. From the current political situation, to the fascinating history of the country, to the flora and fauna, and so much more - he made this fantastic country all the more memorable. I am so grateful. And then there is the country itself - absolutely astounding. Even though there are so many places to visit on the planet, this is one I would love to return to. Not to be missed!

PriceStaff

Reviewed April 15, 2019

My wife and I just came back from a fascinating trip to Egypt. We used smarTours for the first time and are glad we made that choice. The tour director was Mr Khaled **, an archaeologist and Egyptologist with profound knowledge of ancient history and with patience to explain and connect all phases of the history of Egypt. It is important to indicate that contrary to the general perception, Egypt is very safe. The people are very nice and friendly everywhere you go. We highly recommend this tour for its price, value and life experience.

PriceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 29, 2019

The tour itself was very good. The guide very helpful and knowledgeable. However, this tour included Airfare, which was non-negotiable. (No reduced price for making your own airfare.) I had to travel cross-country to catch the flight to Columbia in Miami. When I arrived at the Avianca counter I was told that the flight was full, despite being sent earlier in the month an electronic ticket. I had to pay to fly to Bogota, the starting point of the tour, or miss two days of the tour. Beware. All their tours are "Airfare Included". Not such a great deal!

Punctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Nov. 6, 2018

This was the most unorganized trip. Our itinerary times changed frequently. Waking up at 3 am. to catch flights. Lots and lots of waiting on the bus. Excessive talking from guide which cut into our time visiting sites. On what was to be a free day, I booked a tour with another company since there was not one available with smarTours. Our guide did everything possible to thwart our going on the tour. Fortunately the security guy was able to escort us to our pick up destination by taxi. Memphis Tours was fantastic. It was the best day of our trip to Egypt. Also there was always an added expense to the tours we took. The tipping was beyond anything I've ever seen before. Talk about nickel and diming. We all had the runs from the river cruise ship. Would not ever use them again. Too bad!

Price

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2018

The Kenya/Tanzania safari in September 2016 was excellent. I highly recommend this affordable safari where we saw plenty of wildlife up close, had excellent accommodations, and food, along with a wonderful friendly and knowledgeable guide. Don't miss out on the hot air balloon ride over the Masai Mara followed by a champagne/cooked breakfast on the Mara. Also be sure to visit the Samburu and Masai villages. This is the trip of a lifetime and smarTours does an excellent job. I felt safe and well cared for.

smarTours Company Information