3.72/5
Based on 83 reviews that contain star ratings

smarTours

smarTours makes it possible to experience more once-in-a-lifetime trips. Since 1996, more than 200,000 travelers have taken a smarTours trip to 40+ exotic destinations around the globe. Our tours are priced "all in" (with airfare from U.S. origination airport) and require only a modest deposit to reserve. Some smarTravelers have taken five, 10 or even 20+ trips with us. smarTours is the smarter way to see the world.

100 smarTours Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 23, 2015

A wonderful trip bringing us into a world beyond our imaginings. Beautiful country, unbelievable people, and incredible scenery made us yearn for simpler times without all the technology of the modern world. We loved every minute of it. Some of the restaurants left a little to be desired, but the lodgings were terrific.

Original review: June 23, 2015

We have enjoyed every one of the tours that we have taken with SmarTours. We are constantly looking at different destinations and look forward to taking our family on a trip with SmarTours in the very near future. Thank you for helping us accomplish our travel goals!

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
Original review: June 23, 2015

It would have been 5-stars except for 2 things: (1) the number of unnecessary air flights, changing planes when there were direct flights for a total of 11 flights - we lost a lot of vacation time; (2) the absolute chaos when we were dropped at the airport, particularly in Melbourne - we couldn't have been dropped any further away from the check-in point inside the terminal. We had to drag our own luggage!

Original review: June 23, 2015

We have been on several smarTours (from Israel to India). Guides are outstanding; hotels have been great and prices are the best deal around. We have met friends on trips who we have traveled with us on 2nd and 3rd troops with smarTours. I have recommended this company to several people. I love that there are optional tours so that a person can choose to go or not. Our trip this year was to Croatia and we are looking into the Scandinavia excursion.

Original review: June 23, 2015

I have taken both the South African tour and the China Sampler. Both were great trips. I loved the itinerary of activities. I would travel with smarTours again. I noted a couple of items that could be modified. The China Sample was very rushed! All of the guides shuffled us so quickly from place to place, we could barely see anything. On the South Africa tour, the hotel was less than desirable. We were literally put into a closet and had to request another room. It took over an hour to finalize our room after an 17-hour flight. The staff was not pleasant when dealing with the clients. I would not use the hotel again. Also as I have traveled several times with smarTours, there are no referrals discounts or incentives for repeat clients.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about smarTours?

Original review: June 23, 2015

I have used smarTours several times. I found them to be an exceptional company.

Original review: June 23, 2015

We were in China with Yangtze Cruise in 2010. Good organize, good hotels, good Guide.

Original review: June 23, 2015

Couldn't have had a better time. All tour guides were very informative and helpful. Hotels were top rate. Everyone on the tour got along wonderfully.

Original review: June 22, 2015

I have enjoyed all of the old offers with smarTours and am now starting in on the new tours. They have all been well planned, fabulous, and for the most part cost-effective. In the old days customer service was rude, abrupt, and unforgivable. I am delighted that most recently that has changed and now one can feel good about the total experience. Before, the tours and customer service seemed like two very different arms on the same body. Customer service needed an implant and got it. Thank the Universe for hospice.

Original review: June 21, 2015

I learned about smarTours from a neighbor who’s a frequent smarTours traveller. When I had my tour with them, the tour guide was a little rough getting started, just in her personal skills. But her knowledge-base was outstanding. Once we got the hang of her, she was great. Interactions with sales and customer service was very good. We had some travel hiccups and ** did a good job. We had a nice time with them and we plan on using smarTours to book our next trip in the future.

Original review: June 17, 2015

We've only been on one trip and it was wonderful. The tour guides and customer service were great. I would recommend them and we might book our next trip with them.

Original review: June 14, 2015

The first time I went on a trip with smarTours was 12 or 13 years ago. My travel experience on the trips I've taken with them have all been excellent. The guides are wonderful and the hotels are excellent. I'm looking into taking one of their trips to France this summer. I haven't taken any trips for several years since I went to London in 2012. But they are my first choice.

Original review: June 12, 2015

I was looking through the internet for some kind of trip that will best suit our intention of touring and we really enjoyed it the first time with SmarTours. The second time was in Greece, with my daughter–in–law and my son. And then last time was LaRue. I highly recommended SmarTours to my friends and families. However, when I refer something, I don’t get anything. But with others I got $100 or $200 per referral.

Original review: June 10, 2015

They were reasonable but they're not the best. We had no bad experience as far as the tour was concerned except that the tour guide was not very good. He was supposed to be the coordinator but it looked like he had no interest in the job. So a lot of people wrote to them and they sent back a letter to us saying that they will fix the problem and offer a $100 credit plus a subsequent travel. So we signed up with smarTours again for a Yangtze, China cruise to give them another chance and I hope they do the best this time. Although certain information seemed a little bit fuzzy since when I talk to them about the $100 credit, they say they don't have any letter and asked me to write them an email about it.

Also, there were some other things that could have easily been resolved and done but was not very efficient. For instance, when the money was collected 75 days in advance and everybody is a couple, why couldn't we get the seats together in the plane? But when I contacted the airline directly, they were able to give it to me. But in coming back, we were so mad about the seating so they called the airlines already and they were able to give us the seats, so there was no problem there. I've never had an experience before like this with anybody but there were certain areas they can definitely improve on. These small things make you start getting a bad taste in your mouth on a vacation. A couple is spending about $8000 to $9000 and that's not a small amount to get that kind of a treatment.

Original review: June 8, 2015

We had a wonderful, thrifty tour with smarTours. We found out about them in 2001. We took a tour in Bali and it was wonderful. The travel part of it was great as far as getting there, and they really are cheap. The tour guide we had in Turkey was phenomenal. He was with us the whole time for the full-fledged tour and he was excellent. He was actually a professor of economics, so we got a lot of interesting background.

Their sales team was also great. They have their little quirks, know what they want and what price they're able to offer. The service was done very well, too. There was a time we were even questioning whether we should go to Turkey because of what was going on in Syria but smarTours kept track of their ground team there in Turkey and knew that there was no problem and stated so to us. It was one of the best tours we've ever had.

Original review: June 4, 2015

I recommend smarTours to a lot of people. They were excellent. We went to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. The tour guide who was with us most of the way was fantastic. Every once in a while they would pick up someone more familiar with the local area and all of them were great.

Original review: May 22, 2015

SmarTours is excellent. I have taken them twice, in 2004 and 2005. The hotels and the tour director I had in Southeast Asia and South America were excellent. I would use them again but have been doing a lot of cruises.

Original review: May 20, 2015

I've traveled to China, the Adriatic and India with smarTours and have recommended the company to many friends, all of whom raved about their experiences. smarTours is a great value -- excellent itineraries, accommodations and guides. Identical to other more expensive tours. The average group is about 40 people, larger than some other group tours, but the size never affected my enjoyment.

Original review: May 19, 2015

I've taken like 18 trips with smarTours, and they've all been wonderful. The directors and the tour guides have all been very professional and easy to understand, they didn't start spouting off with a foreign language in the middle of the tour like some tour companies I had taken before. Everything was in English and easily understood. Also, their drivers are the best ones I've ever had. I've gone all over the world with smarTours and I have thoroughly enjoyed it, that's why I've taken them so often. The only time I'm not going is this year because I'm going all over the United States and have weddings all over the place I have to go to. They're the best tour company for the best price, and I would recommend them.

Original review: May 17, 2015

On that tour to So America you had the worse tour guide we have ever met. He flirted with the single women and gave out little or zero info when asked about the tour. The worse part is when I ended up with my military disability taking effect (Tullio phenomena) noise induced vertigo. A waiter in the restaurant dropped a tray of dishes next to me and I went into vertigo. My wife heard that tour guide tell the local guide that I was drunk. He never asked if I was OK or cared if I was alive or dead. We gave zero tip to him. He made it the worse tour we have ever been on and we have been on tours all over the world. When I reported this matter to smarTours we received no reply. That made us ANGRY. That really put the frosting on the cake. We did manage to warn a few travelers because of our experience.

Original review: May 16, 2015

Heard about SmarTours through my husband. He has traveled for years and after we got married, we traveled. They're just wonderful. The accommodations and their tutor directors are good. The places we stay in were nice so I will recommend them.

Original review: May 15, 2015

This is the second trip I have taken with smarTours and I have been very pleased with both. The hotels and rooms are first class. The tour guides are very knowledgeable and speak English well. Speaking of the trip to Myanmar the only complaint I would have is the trips by horse and carriage. They were rough. Everything else was fine. We saw all the beautiful golden pagodas. It was lovely.

Original review: May 14, 2015

Went on the South Africa Highlights & Safari tour, plus the Victoria Falls extension in January 2013. The tour guides work very hard... ** was our guide in South Africa and he is extremely knowledgeable. ** never sat down; he was constantly talking giving us the history and interesting facts about South Africa. Half-Day Cultural Heritage & Township Tour, Blyde River Canyon, Kruger Park safaris, wine region were just a few highlights from my trip.

Original review: May 14, 2015

We like SmarTours and have traveled with them at least 6 times. WE enjoy not having all the meals included in the package as we like to be adventurous and visit local restaurants on our own. We would like a few more tours included rather than being optional. The optional tours are sometimes too expensive, no value.

Original review: May 13, 2015

I've enjoyed many great trips.

Original review: May 13, 2015

India/Nepal 14-day Mar 2-16, 2015 - The tour and itinerary was comprehensive and engaging if a bit strenuous at times. The escort, **, made the trip an unforgettable experience for everyone and was the single greatest satisfaction factor. The hotels were a little over the top, less luxurious accommodations would have been fine. Constantly having to tip different local guides and drivers was a bit annoying.

We would have preferred this to be included in the tour price. Would have preferred a more thorough description of the optional tours before booking them. The seats on Air India were most uncomfortable and the layover in Delhi (seven hours) on the return was unreasonably long. Another carrier should be considered. SmarTours should offer a distinct discount to clients after a tour is completed as an incentive to book another with them.

Original review: May 13, 2015

The guides in Peru (**) and Ecuador (**) were excellent. We couldn't have asked for better guides. The trip to Lima was hurried and may be not necessary. We could have stayed more in Guayaquil. The whole trip was very well-coordinated. The itinerary was hectic and we needed some "down time" to recover some days but outside of that, everything was great! I would highly recommend this to anyone.

Original review: May 13, 2015

Patagonia - Tour guide's great. Hotel's wonderful. Food so so.

Original review: May 12, 2015

I loved this trip! It was professional, informational, varied, and affordable. Loved the sights, the food, the guides, the accommodations. Cusco was delightful. I would do it again, but I would like to spend more time with local people. The highlight of the trip for me was our visit to a weaving and crafts CO-OP. All the Incan ruins blew me away. I'd always dreamed of going to Machu Picchu and we had two days there. I was traveling with a bird watching friend who fell in love with Galapagos, plus our guide in Peru was very knowledgeable and she could barely keep up with all the birds he identified. All in all, a dream fulfilled for both of us.

Original review: May 12, 2015

So far, I've gone on a trip just once with smarTours to China and I booked it online. My travel experience with them was fine -- The price was right and the hotels were fine. Maybe when I retire, I'll book my next trip with them.

smarTours Company Information