Get matched with a great travel agency now

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.66/5

People to People International Student Travel Programs

People to People International Student Travel Programs turn the world into a classroom, creating an educational and inspirational experience that cultivates meaningful connections between students from across the US and from different countries.

President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s vision of creating “peace through understanding” is still at the core of every one of their international summer travel programs for middle, high school and college students.

Programs are offered to Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, and Central America.

View More View More

391 People to People International Student Travel Programs Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 21, 2015

Our daughter attended the 2015 People to People Learning To Lead in Washington D.C. this summer. She went to The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, The White House, Congressional Library, National Monuments, etc. She had a wonderful time. She came home exhausted! They keep the kids organized and busy. My daughter had homework to finish before the trip, writing projects each evening, yet loved it and made wonderful friends. Our daughter was in entering 5th grade. She is the youngest child in our home and more mature than most kids her age. I do think 5th grade would be a bit too young for most kids. She felt a little homesick at times. Luckily they let her bring a cell phone. She would only use the phone about 9:00 PM each evening (to FaceTime me before bed each night). She loved the program and will go on another trip with P2P.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2015

We raised money and rolled it over when our interpreter had to back out of going. This year we went to all the meetings but were not able to raise all the money, because now we needed to raise for my deaf daughter and an interpreter. Well my daughter had a medical hold on her account which met they were to get a hold of us. We got a hold of them, just to be told $3,400. was gone totally and will not refund it to us at all.

Original review: July 9, 2015

My daughter was scheduled to leave on the European Heritage trip from Buffalo, NY on July 7 through 26. Due to extreme weather in the layover city, their flight was cancelled and alternative arrangements had to be made. My problem lies with the decisions that were made by the leader in charge, and how it profoundly and adversely affects the remainder of the trip.

Instead of keeping the group together, which seems to be the most fair, logical and appropriate measure, a group of 7 children along with a leader were put on another flight and made it to London more or less within the original time frame. The other 25 or so kids had their flight cancelled, had to go home and come back the next day to make one of two overnight flights to London. In the meantime, the Lucky 7 made it to London and proceeded to go on their itinerary without the rest of the delegation!

You cannot begin to image how profoundly hurtful, disappointing and upsetting this was to those left behind. To make matters worse, all three of my daughter's friends with whom she was going on this trip made the cut because they had the good fortune to have a name that starts with a B. This poor decision making has effectively created two separate and distinct classes: the lucky few, and the second class citizens.

I also question the decision to send all of the kids home again as well; getting everyone to the airport again is no small feat. Wouldn't it have made more sense to put them up in a hotel across from the airport for the night so, once again, at least they'd all be together, and check in would be easier and faster? Instead, it placed an undue burden on parents, many of whom do not live close to the airport. Parents needed to take additional time off work to get their child to the airport on time for their makeup flights. When I questioned the delegation leader about this, I was told "that's not how we do things"! 25 kids with only 2 leaders? It's not possible. Yet the entire delegation of approximately 33 was going to be shepherded through multiple foreign countries with only one additional leader?

To make matters even worse if that is even possible at this point the next morning while our kids still waited to board their flights to get out of the States, we are treated to pictures and updates from The Lucky 7 as they go about their itinerary and go out for lunch, seeing the Hampton Court Palace the one highlight in London my daughter was *most* looking forward to seeing. Talk about rubbing salt in an already open wound!

When I returned to the airport (an hours drive from my home, by the way) to retrieve my daughter, I confronted Glen **, the local delegation leader about his disregard for our students and the regrettable decision to send a small group on ahead. I was told I was being irrational, that life isn't fair, that I should be happy for those other students and, with a smug look and a dismissive smile, I was told to take it up with corporate. This is not what I expected from a leader. Frankly, these trips are far too expensive to be treated this shoddily.

In addition, I called the main P2P number during the day to try to get some answers, yet despite the fact it was during normal business hours, I was made to leave a message twice. No one ever returned my call, even though I requested they did. Then, when I contacted their Facebook page and saw the number I should call while my daughter is actively traveling with a group, I did just that. I was on hold more than 16 minutes, listening to a loop of self-promotional diatribe repeated ad nauseam. I finally gave up, and reluctantly called the emergency number to speak with someone. Waiting 16 minutes for someone to answer the phone is inexcusable!

The next day, when we went to make our rescheduled flight, the same thing occurred again: the flight was delayed, and they were grounded yet again. This time, Delta "generously" offered to put them up in a hotel overnight and pay for their meals. Big deal, they do that for any traveler in the same situation. When I contact Mr. Chapin about some sort of compensation for this disaster of a trip, my options boiled down to pulling my daughter off the trip entirely in exchange for a full refund, restarting the program with a new group of strangers she'd never met before, or blending into the current program that was underway with no additional activities added in or compensation offered. This so called "solution" was sub-par at best. The things my daughter missed can never be made up, and we're just flat out of luck... and $7.000+.

I cannot express my dismay and utter outrage over this situation enough; what should have been a monumental trip of a lifetime turned into a giant screw up where she was treated as a second class citizen while a lucky few, including three of her closest friends, went on to have a phenomenal experience. There is no way to predict or account for poor weather, and I completely understand that. However, I strongly feel that the delegation should have been kept together. It seems as if I am supposed to just be okay with missing out on two full days of a 20 day itinerary. I am not. My daughter may never get back to England to see the Hampton Court Palace that she missed out on seeing today an opportunity forever lost. At least if the group had been kept together, they would have been on a level playing field.

Original review: June 21, 2015

The trip was supposed to be great. It was a 19 day European trip and I was excited. When we got here we had been up for a little over 30 hours and very hungry. The entire trip we stayed at sketchy hotels and ate the smallest food portions. The group leaders were not what we expected. There was a big problem with drama and people hurting other people's feelings. I would not recommend this if you care for your child. Never have I been so disappointed in that big of an investment.

Original review: June 13, 2015

This company is a scam! They are heartless and don't care about you or your child. They are not leaders. They are selfish, only think about themselves. They refused to give me my refund, used it for another student - my money!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about People to People International Student Travel Programs?

Original review: March 28, 2015

My son went to Europe with the People to People student ambassador group. It was a horrible experience for him and for me. First, it's expensive. You could do the same trip for less on your own. Second, they stay at second or even third-rate accommodations. My son was in a youth hostel during this trip and there were no phones. Third, the phone tree that the organization set up did not work. We were supposed to get calls when they arrived at new locales - didn't happen. Fourth, my son and his chaperon were like oil and water. She was mean to him and he hated every second that he was with her. Overall, I would recommend against this trip and this organization.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2014

My son received a letter for the Canada program for 12 days. I contacted people to people to find out how they received my son's information. I was told AAU so I contacted them and they had no idea what I was talking about and stated they don't nominate children, they place ads and the parent or child would have to contact People to People. I had AAU contact People to People on 3 way to straighten the confusion out only to be told that the invitation number on the letter showed him no information as to anyone nominating him and that it more than likely came from a database. Not my words but the words of People to People representative.

Now I'm am completely baffled by the back and forth, all this to get information that is important to parents considering spending this type of money for a lengthy amount of time for a 10 year old. It sounded as if the woman was reading from a transcript. She couldn't answer me properly and when I asked for a supervisor she informed me that the supervisor said the information she gave me was correct and to contact AAU regarding the nomination. As you can see that was a bunch of nonsense. So anyone considering spending that much money with this company beware and do your investigating first.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2014

I just received a letter inviting my 5th grader to a trip with P2P. It looked very professional and I was very excited and happy. It made me feel like my son was nominated and honored, privileged... When I went to check the reviews for P2P I was in shock by the many complaints about P2P sending letters to children that died before even going to school, that says a lot to me... Sorry, can't trust my child to this kind of company.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2014

I just received letter of invitations for my two daughters to attend an introductory meeting for this program. I also would like to know how this organization got our information on a minor child. Through birth records? I don't like marketing taken to this level, it is invasive. The programs should have information fairs at the schools. When I logged into our invitation code, it doesn't give you specific information on the program, like tuition, but instead takes you to a confirmation page to accept the meeting time. I cannot judge this program, but when I looked at the website, the program is extremely expensive and there do not seem to be many options for scholarships.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2014

In 2006-2007 I finally decided to give People to People a chance. For years I had been getting invitations for the People to People program but I was too scared to go abroad by myself. That was until I turned 14. I want to let everyone know that my parents and I have never regretted our choice in People to People. I went into the program a shy anxious child and came back an outgoing confident teenager. If you are a parent reading this review because you are a little nervous about sending your child away on a big trip like this, let me put your mind at ease. This program was the best thing that ever happened to me. It's been 7-8 years since my trip with People to People and I still catch myself telling stories about my European Odyssey trip with them.

This program offers more than any classroom can offer a child or teen. It offers them a chance to learn about the world by experiencing it. This program teaches delegates to learn about and appreciate other cultures. As a former delegate, I find that I befriend many different types of people and to this day I still love hearing and learning about everyone's culture. This program not only sparked my love of knowledge, but my love of travel as well. Overall this program has taught me to be the best person I can be and to be confident in the person that I am.

People to People International Student Travel Programs Company Information