Get matched with a great travel agency now

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

3.63/5

People to People International

People to People International, formerly known as People Ambassador Programs, offers educational travel for students in grade school through college. For over 50 years, they have helped students experience new cultures and places as no other tour group can. People to People employees are dedicated to the design and delivery of each travel program. Enriching Cultural Experiences International now serves as their sole travel provider.

386 People to People International Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 24, 2014

I had no idea how much of a life-changing experience my PTP trip would be for me. I was able to be myself around new people and take in all the sites, the culture, and the experience and will keep them with me. My life has totally been changed because of my trip I took back in 2008 to Greece and Italy. Before I left for the trip, I was a very conservative boy raised in a small town in Texas where everyone basically had the same opinions about everything: people, food, religious beliefs, etc. Because of my experience, I am more open minded about people's cultures, backgrounds and lifestyles than I ever was and am thankful for that. I recommend this type of life experience to anyone that qualifies for the trip. If I had the chance to go on another PTP trip, I wouldn't hesitate at the opportunity.

Hi Bradley,

We love reading this. To know that we helped open your eyes to the world is extremely gratifying. We carefully plan these travel programs so students can make the most out of their experience with us; we hope you can travel again!

Original review: March 24, 2014

Overall the trip was ok for my child. One thing that was very disappointing to find out was that he will not be receiving the history credit on his high school transcript. So my advice is not to promise or make it a part of the "sales pitch" but to inform the parents to verify with their particular school district whether the program is recognized.

People to People International response

Hi Mary - We appreciate your feedback. We do advise families to talk with their schools prior to travel so they know if the school will or will not accept the Washington School of World Studies credit. While every school may not accept this credit, the transcript is still a valuable document for the student as proof of their accomplishment and to include with college applications. We'll make sure this is communicated as clearly as possible to ambassador families. Thanks again for your time.

Original review: March 24, 2014

I absolutely enjoyed my trip to Europe in the summer of 2008. It was very cultural. I only wish that I was more aware of the cities I traveled to because that would be very beneficial to me in my present day. I am a Freshman in college now and this trip has been useful in almost every single class I have taken so far on college (and the majority of high school).

Hi Beri,

Thank you so much for posting! It's great to hear your past travels with us are helping you in college today. We hope you continue to travel - just an FYI we do offer college trips. In the meantime, safe travels and good luck in school!

Original review: March 24, 2014

This was a really great eye opening trip. I learned the the culture of China. We all had a great bond and a great time in China.

Hi Sydney,

Thank you for posting! We're happy to hear year after year that our delegations do form a bond while abroad. We hope you keep in touch - safe travels!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Feb. 20, 2014

I received an "official" invitation for my daughter, Ariana, to spend a summer in Australia. The letter stated that she had been referred due to the fact that she was an "exceptional student." I received this letter on Ariana's 14th birthday. I immediately contacted a representative and asked them about the program. I asked, specifically, whom they had purchased their "leads" from. The woman I spoke to assured me that they NEVER purchase leads. Every student is nominated... usually by a teacher or school official... and selected through careful criteria. One problem... Ariana died as an infant. She never ATTENDED a school. If someone is running a reputable organization, why would they have to lie about how they receive their "nominations? " Something doesn't add up.

Hi Mia,

We are incredibly sorry about this. Thank you for reaching out so that we can provide you an acceptable explanation of how that mailer reached you. We would like to contact you directly to explain what happened and offer our heartfelt apologies; please expect a call from us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about People to People International?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2014

I thought that the experience was a good and organized one and the tour guide of Peru was really caring and nice. Also being able to see what it is like was super interesting.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2014

I have been to 13 countries, 7 of which where with People to People! The people, food, hospitality, etc. were amazing in Peru! It was an amazing trip! I met so many new friends from both our delegation and from foreign countries! (I even ran into a family from my neighborhood on the train back from Machu Pichu!) Another great part about the trip was being there during a holiday! I will never forget all the amazing things I did!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2014

It was an incredible experience that I will remember for the rest of my life. I would suggest this program to everyone! I loved visiting the Cuyuni village and seeing Machu Picchu the most!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2014

Normally I would HIGHLY recommend the program however, on my last trip (Holiday Magic in Modern London) I was concerned for the safety of my fellow delegates during program. I am a 4 almost 5 time alum and I was worried that we would get lost in a crowd, on the tube, on a public bus.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2014

This was my second trip with People to People. My first trip was amazing, there were so many things we got to do that we wouldn't have been able to otherwise, so going on this trip I felt that that would be the same case. I was a little disappointed with the transportation, yes I understand it was the most logical way to use the tube and the trains, but I felt with the group our size and the time of year it would have been better to have a coach for the days we were going around London as well. Using the tube as our main form of transportation was stressful for our delegation manager and for the leaders with the size of group that we had. For future trips, and I know on ours, we were hoping for a little more free time to walk around and enjoy London in small groups, I feel that we were so rushed and we were always behind that we didn't get to have any free time. The trip was amazing, the leaders were amazing, and our delegation manager was beyond amazing, but those were a couple things that may help other delegates enjoy this trip more in the future!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2014

This journey was an amazing experience for the students. As an experienced leader I knew what to expect in terms of the People to People programs. But every day we had a new experience. The people we met were so kind and helpful. There were no questions about safety. I felt safe at all times. The village stay was a great experience. It was an eye opening experience.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2014

Looking back on the trip, I realize that I have made many happy lifetime memories with some truly great people from around the United States. That being said, however, there were some things that could have done better. The primary examples are the food and lodging. Although the food was good, it was for the most part a heavily Americanized menu. This was a bit of a disappointment, especially considering how much our group enjoyed the local cuisines, such as the patella in Barcelona. The lodging was high quality, but was also heavily Americanized, with two of our hotels being Best Westerns and one "The American Palace". It would greatly enhance the experience if People to People could find more local, high quality hotels that offer most exposure to true culture. The last issue was time distribution.

Our group, because of a communication error, had no time to explore France the same way we did Spain and Italy. We had no shopping opportunities in France and did not even have time to go through either Nice or Perpignan in our own groups. On the other hand, we spent tremendous amounts of time in Pisa and Florence. Florence is a great city, but the time we spent there could have been in Rome, a city with much more to offer, if we had left Florence the evening before and stayed in a hotel in Rome that night instead of Florence. This still would have given us sufficient time in Florence and would not have cut us short of time in Rome. I know I submitted a lot on the 3 issues I had with the trip, but as the rating suggest, I was very pleased with the overall trip. The issues were not necessarily tremendous issues, but minor tweaks that I feel could improve it.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2014

I've traveled with P2P for 10 years as a Delegation Leader, and I can personally attest to the amount of personal growth and maturity that students undergo while traveling. P2P isn't just a vacation; it's a tremendous learning experience, offering things that normal tourists just don't get to do. For example, we've met with Members of Parliament in England, Mayors of towns in Australia, interviewed Holocaust survivors in Austria and toured Mathausen Concentration Camp, as well as lived in homes with families (the home-stay) in China, England, Austria, Germany, and Australia! I would HIGHLY recommend P2P. Is it pricey? Yes. But I challenge you to put together the same itinerary that is offered, and do it for a better price. Plus, high school credit is given. And, there are no "extras" - all meals, hotels, tips, entrance fees, etc. are already included. You and your child(ren) won't regret it!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2014

I had the amazing opportunity to travel with People to People, not once, but four times. I originally went to China as a wide-eyed thirteen year old in the summer of 2009. I then went on to go to Japan in 2010, Australia, New Zealand, and Fiji in 2011, and England this past winter break. People to People gives students amazing opportunities that a normal tourist would not gain access to. For example, I got to meet the man who discovered the Terra Cotta Warriors in China and got to go backstage in the Sydney Opera House in Australia. The program widens one's view of the world and forces students to contemplate how they live their own lives in conjunction to foreign affairs and the world around them. I've also met a few of my closest friends through traveling on People to People. One of my friends from my South Pacific trip even wrote a college "peer" recommendation for me! Your delegation becomes like a family.

To any concerned parents--

The answer is YES, let your child travel on People to People! I never felt unsafe and the Delegation Managers in each country are FABULOUS!! I am still in contact with my DM from New Zealand, Fiji, and England. My parents' concern was always safety and then price, however PTP is all inclusive and a family could not recreate their trips for the same or a lower price. The trips are fun and safe. Being a Student Ambassador also sets students apart when applying for college. I got to write my own college essay about my experiences abroad! Admissions teams love to read about real life adventures instead of another sport experience.

People to People opened my eyes to the world, gave me some of my closest friends, and has been one of the best experiences of my entire life (so far). If anyone is worried or doesn't believe in the value, I can attest to the fact that People to People set me apart when applying to college and for jobs/internships. Jump into your trip headfirst and I promise you won't regret it. You'll come out on the other end happier, more in tune with yourself, and ready to take on the world.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2014

People to People programs live up to everything they promise. It is not a scam or a way to make money, it's a chance. A way to see the world, to change your life. I had struggles with anxiety and depression before I went on a trip with P2P and it literally changed my life. I realize how cliche and cheesy this sounds but there is really no better way to explain it. My outlook on life completely changed. Everything about my trip was perfect. It was my first time on a plane, my first time seeing and swimming in an ocean and my first time rappelling down a mountain. Every day was new and exhilarating. While some activities were intimidating, like snorkeling, and sand tobogganing I overcame my fears and felt that much more proud of myself. I feel like no one can ever fully understand how much this trip has influenced me. This will be a part of my life forever, a part that will always be perfect and meaningful. It was an amazing adventure I won't ever forget. My group leader was amazing and very supportive throughout the entire trip. She cared for each of us and always offered her help and advice. I loved hearing all her stories of all the places she had been. She is really an inspiration. Overall if you are thinking about a People to People trip, I can assure you, it's worth it.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2014

I was terrified of my trip up until I got on the plane when I was 17. Once I was there, I loved pretty much every minute of my experience! Awesome activities through careful planning was incredibly done. I always felt safe. Some of the leaders seemed to be a little absent-minded at times so maybe 3 leaders cannot handle 40 students. However, I recommend this group as the only way to have your child travel. It is totally worth the time and $$$. Keep up the great work P2P. I hope to send my kids on an awesome adventure with you all!

Hi Kourtney,

We appreciate your review and rating! Each program is carefully planned to make the most of each day - thank you for your feedback and kind words. We're thrilled you were able to travel with us and hope to see you again. In the meantime, safe travels!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2014

My 12-year-old daughter traveled last summer. It was a wonderful learning, growing experience. She'll be traveling this summer with the program to Australia. The life experiences she is having will stay with her the rest of her life and are shaping her into a global citizen. I am very pleased with the program and have recommended it to many friends.

Hi Kathy,

We love to hear back from our alum families - and we're thrilled your daughter will be traveling with us yet again this summer! Our Australia programs are some of our most popular - we hope she has an amazing time. Again, we appreciate your feedback and thank you for the review and your recommendation of us to other families - we'll see you this summer!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2014

Overall, I had an amazing trip. No, spectacular, wonderful, extraordinary. I arrived a nervous wreck and within the first hour I was exchanging numbers and names. It's an absolute wonderful program. I learned qualities of being a good leader and an even better friend.

The only problem I have is the time management and scheduling. I understand that there's so much to partake in, but I really wish that I could spend more time with everyone and exploring the Stanford campus. Especially since Bus 1 & Bus 2 were never in the same locations really, we didn't bond much with the each other. I just wish we had more free time to bond because we all learned so much from each other.

Overall, PTP provided a once in a lifetime experience. There's no adjective to describe how life changing and wonderful the 10 days were. I wouldn't be the same person if I hadn't gone. The friends I made, the teacher leaders I met, the leaders I learned from, I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Thank you for everyone that made the program possible.

Hi Nam!

Thanks a ton for your review of our Technology Leadership Summit at Stanford. We do pack a lot into each and every day, but we're glad you enjoyed the activities and felt the program had a positive and lasting influence on you. We appreciate your feedback and hope you can join us again for another educational adventure. Thanks again!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2013

Great experience for our child. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Everything was taken care of and done well. Very organized and very safe.

Hi Staci,

Appreciate your feedback and very happy to know that your family would travel with us again. We have an expert team to make sure everything runs smooth while abroad - it's great to hear that your child had a great time while in the UK and France. Thanks again and safe travels!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2013

Traveling to Italy and Greece this summer is an experience I will always treasure. From the first night in Rome to the Homestay in Sicily to meeting Russell Crowe in Taormina, the trip was full of surprises and experiences. The only downside was the entirety of the trip felt extremely rushed. We missed the inside of the St. John's Basilica and had to rush through Olympus and Delphi. Other than that, I have no complaints.

Hi William,

Thanks for your review and know that we have passed your feedback regarding the timing of certain activities to our Travel Services department. If we need to change the itinerary to better accommodate we will. Very happy to hear you had such a great time with us, though. And totally amazing your delegation saw Russell Crowe! Thanks again - safe travels!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2013

My son, Matthew **, traveled last summer and had a wonderful time. We were kept well informed, he called at night when he could. Thank you for the experience.

Hi Linda,

We appreciate your feedback and are happy to hear that your family was kept well informed while your son was traveling - that's what we strive for. Thank you again!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2013

This was my second trip with People to People. I was slightly disappointed because the program has become less prestigious over the past few years, with most everyone I know getting letters, it seems almost fake. Almost anyone can get in now, which makes it even less prestigious. I know this year we were "that" delegation with all of the problems that stemmed off of the same few people. I didn't let these people, who just complained the whole time, wreck my experience because learning about other cultures is very important to me.

I enjoyed my program very much but I think People to People should stop focusing so much on profits and really look at the kids, and who they are really sending these letters to, and who they are accepting. I had so much fun on my program and met lifelong friends from Kansas, Texas, and Mass, and even Germany! I will never forget my program and everyone that went on it, good and bad.

Hi Nicole,

We really appreciate your feedback. Regarding how students are invited, we are always looking for good candidates and encourage everyone who feels our programs are a good fit to apply to one of our student travel programs; we want as many students as possible to experience traveling abroad. Many of our ambassadors are recommended to us via nominations from parents, teachers and school officials, but (as you know) every student must complete an application process, including interviews and letters of reference. We understand things can happen when students travel for the first time, and we are glad you still enjoyed the program. We always appreciate hearing feedback from our alum - again, thank you and safe travels!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2013

Very pleased! We sent our son with them and the safety aspect is amazing! I would recommend them for any student traveling and the special experiences that are offered exclusively with People to People!

Hi Heather,

Thank you for your review - we appreciate the candid feedback! Safety of the students is always our #1 priority and we are proud of our safety support systems - thank you for your kind words. Very happy to hear your son enjoyed our more exclusive People to People moments on program - we work hard to design a program that offers fun and unique access to some of the world's most famous attractions. Thanks again - safe travels to you and yours!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2013

As a student traveling with food allergies traveling around the country, let alone outside the country can be scary. After really checking up on P2P (talking on the phone to you guys, reading reviews, checking out your website) my family and I decided that this was an awesome experience that I just couldn't pass up, that and you all really helped calm our fears on the whole food thing. The trip was amazing! Great leaders, awesome students, kind people, the sites, the people in the country and everything else was amazing! Most importantly (for me) I was put in a home stay with a girl my age that had the same food allergy, which was a relief to be able to eat everything they offered me. Our delegation manager was so helpful, he personally made sure that my food was safe by talking to the chefs in their native language. He also taught me the words for my allergy in the languages spoken in the country so I could ask for myself if the food had wheat or gluten in it. All in all this was an amazing program that I would definitely recommend to my friends. :)

Hi Amanda,

Loved seeing this review. We appreciate you doing your due diligence on researching us - and thrilled to hear that you had zero issues while abroad with your food allergy. Our Travel Services team works closely with your delegation leaders to make sure our students are taken care of while abroad. We hope to see you again for future travels - thanks again for your review!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2013

The People to People travel experience was wonderful beyond words. The leaders took great care of the kids and kept us up to date with Facebook posts and Shutterfly photos. They went above and beyond to make the kids comfortable and lead them to have a once in a life time experience.

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for the review! We do try and make sure the kids are having fun while away from home, and great to hear you were kept in the loop in real time while they were away. We hope your family can travel again - until then, safe travels!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2013

One of the most amazing opportunities a parent could hope for their child to have! I plan on helping her go again this coming summer! People to People offers an informal educational setting that sets our children's mind on overdrive! Also extremely safe.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2013

Overall was an amazing trip. I went on a 10 day trip to DC and NYC and learned so much about diplomacy. Only one bad memory of the trip and that was saying goodbye to all my new friends.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2013

I just wanted to say that last year, my daughter received a letter from People to People saying that she was selected to go on one of their trips as a 5th grader. After doing some research on costs, I found out quickly that this was not going to be a possibility for her. This year, we got another letter from them about being selected again. The difference is this time my wife who is 37 years old was selected to go on a trip as a 6th grader. Obviously, no one is doing any research on their side to make sure they know who they are sending this to. I guess next year, my dog will get a letter from them? Anyways, after looking at the costs, you quickly realize that you can do a trip to these places for about half of the cost for your child. No, you won't get the exact same tours, etc. but you can still get something very educational for them nonetheless.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2013

My 14 year old received a letter for her to travel. She felt this was a high honor because she works real hard in school and is in AP classes. What People to People does is work alongside a for-profit travel agency that pays millions in order to use the name People to People. These are the people that send the letters falsely promoting the notion that your child is being honored in some way. Along with buying lists of names and sending out "invitations" (more like solicitations), teachers can nominate students and they will be interviewed and will have to have recommendations, but it's horrible the way they play on the emotions of children and their parents, yet if one never finds this out, is it bad? I would have to say yes, it is. CBS did a story on this in July of 2011 and they lost their BBB accreditation due to an investigation. Just beware.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2013

I would totally recommend the P2P Student Ambassador Program. I was 15 years old when I traveled to England. I admit, it took awhile to convince my parents, but even now they're glad I went! I came back a more mature student, and learned soooo much during my stay. My supervisors were on it, I felt safe, and I learned a lot. It also goes on your college transcript! 10/10 would recommend to any highschooler!

People to People International Company Information