1.15/5

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

4251 Expedia Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I rented a vehicle through Expedia for Cancun, Mexico. According to the car rental in Mexico (Europcar), Expedia knows that their insurance doesn't cover you in Mexico. So I was charged an additional $210, instead of the original amount Expedia had advertised which was the amount of 105.00. My total cost was 315 for renting a car for 4 days. I wouldn't even pay that here (Cal). Expedia advertised the vehicle for $7 a day for 4 days plus ins. Sounds great, right? Expect to pay 3x that amount.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

We booked a hotel through Expedia that said it was 27 miles from our location we wanted to visit. When we arrived we found out it was five hours from where we wanted to visit. It was 27 miles if you are a mountain goat and can go over mountains where there is no road. Contacted Expedia, told them about their error on their website and they said they see nothing wrong with their website ad. Sent them pictures of the ad that shows 27 miles away and still the answer came back there was nothing wrong with the information on their website. We had to forfeit two nights in order to stay at our desired destination. They would do nothing to help us. To me this is false advertising.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I booked a hotel through Expedia for future dates of travel the 25-26 a month away and they booked it for the 25-26 of the current month. We called them because we had received a "review your stay" email when we were not scheduled to stay for another month. After many phone calls and emails of them supposedly going back and forth with the hotel for the refund they told us the hotel was not going to refund us and there was nothing they could do. I told them multiple times that this was THEIR error not the hotel's, we booked through Expedia. We will be contesting the charges through our bank and will never go through them again!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I reserved a car for 7 days in December. My granddaughter passed away and we had to go a week earlier than our planned trip. The original reservation was to pick up in New Orleans. Just changing the pick up location to Baton Rouge they wanted to more than double the total price! Ridiculous! I logged in to Travelocity, got a new reservation, added an extra day, paying less than I was going to for the original reservation.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

If you prefer to not have your already very expensive flight itinerary to South America (Bos, MA -> BH, Brazil) that have been reserved and paid for adjusted less than a month in advance of your trip with 3 impressively lacking and less-than-ideal options provided for you to choose from, which for me included: 1. extending your layover by 4 hours on the 3rd leg of your trip so that your total traveling time exceeds 24 hours, 2. sleeping at the airport overnight and catching a flight the next morning and guaranteeing you will have spent 36+ hours flying and/or waiting for flights.

Or 3. Canceling and then having the only flying options available being $300 more per ticket for comparable flight options, then I recommend you not using Expedia/United Airlines for your flight reservations. You will likely experience something similar to what I have with exactly no leeway in the matter. Good luck if you have any set plans because you will likely get screwed and left without any satisfactory options.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Detailed info below, but to summarize: We cancelled hotel 19 DAYS in advance. Expedia didn't inform the hotel. The hotel charged us. Expedia won’t do anything to make it right. We booked a hotel room through Expedia. Unable to make the trip, we logged into Expedia and cancelled the hotel 19 DAYS IN ADVANCE (much more than the required 24 hours). Expedia failed to relay our cancellation to the hotel and we were charged for the room. After several phone calls and detailed emails - where we included a copy of our CANCELLATION CONFIRMATION FROM EXPEDIA - Expedia says there's nothing they can do. The hotel is in their right to keep our deposit because they were not notified of the cancellation. Expedia refuses to even give us a credit to use towards another reservation in the future. Hugely disappointed. You may want to seriously consider another travel site for your bookings.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I bought a ticket through Expedia.com as they advertise the 24 hours cancellation policy, that it is also part of the aviation regulations in the USA. Before the 24 hour I tried to cancel the flight but the website didn't allow me. I called them to cancel but they said that they can't cancel because they have a different arrangement with Air Asia. And they derived me to them (as if it was not their problem anymore). And of course Air Asia also said that once it is booked no refunds are possible. I bought the ticket through Expedia so I believe that they should honor their free 24 hour cancellation policy. And if they can't have it with some airlines, they should not work with them or at least specify them very clearly while people are making the booking so they don't end up losing their money for nothing. Expedia I believe it is not ethically performing businesses.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Booked a flight on Expedia and bought the travel protection plan. Had a change in plans so I called Expedia to cancel the flight and they told me I couldn't. They said the protection plan didn't apply to this flight. Are you kidding me. As far as I'm concerned that is fraud. Cost me $153.00 but I will get the last laugh. Canceled my credit card and will never buy anything from them again.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

My flight was canceled and they did not cancel my reservation at the hotel and so far they have not pronounced on returning my money. It's not my fault the flight was canceled, they have to return my money because it was a high amount, I send a message and the ex-post does not respond.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I had to pay for another ticket with the correct name. I lost $376.40. I will never use Expedia again. All this money wasted and I was on the phone for hours and Expedia could not finish the new purchase and I had to go online and repurchase. So ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I will never book on Expedia again. After using it for years, I realize it doesn't make any sense not to deal directly with the airlines. You spend loads of time on hold for anything you need while they go to the airlines. You might as well do it directly. Very frustrating and a complete waste of time.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Book with a price of 16 per night for a hotel room but when they did a fare calculation, they put it as 21 per night. Super secretive with their pricing mechanism and a lot of click bait. Watch out before paying the final price as they have tons of hidden fees.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Please save yourself time and money, DO NOT use this website for your travel needs. I booked a flight for my senior citizen mother, bought insurance on the flight because she does have some health issues. Unfortunately she became ill and I had to cancel the flight, I was told that the insurance didn't cover the flight. First why would Expedia sell insurance on flights that are not covered. This is fraud! Why would I pay money for a service that I could not use. They need to be held accountable and put out of business. They should be sued for scamming people out of money.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I'm done with this company and so should you. The worst customer service I have received from any company and my complaint was escalated to their corporate office. They say you can cancel tickets with 24 hours on their website but you can't. They mislead me as the airline name listed on their website for the expensive tickets I bought were actually with another low cost carrier (I paid twice as much to buy the same budget tickets covered by another airline name). I spend 5 hours on the phone over two days talking to different people, supervisors and their corporate managers and they would not cancel the flights.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I was trying to purchase tickets at a decent price for my parents' trip to Alaska. Got to the payment section and first got a notification that the price increased, fine an extra $100. I can live with that. Then, it said there was a problem with my credit card. No there wasn't. They withdrew the amount from my card but I didn't have tickets. I called customer service and was told they have a glitch in the system that takes money out if the seats are not available. They know about the glitch but no plans to fix it. So now I have over $1200 held hostage till after the holiday weekend. Yes, I will get my money back but it will be four more days.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I booked two flights from Seattle to Hong Kong and canceled the flights after 16 hours. On the Expedia platform was written that I will get 100% refund if I cancel within 24 hours. I called the customer service 16 hours later to cancel my booking and I expected a full refund. At the phone an Expedia employee told me that only 100$ will be refunded because the date changed! I couldn't believe what he was saying, and I tried to make him clear that the cancellation must be within 24h and does not matter the date (or at least they don’t write it on the website and even the booking confirmation does not mention anything). Arrogantly he said, 100$ or nothing.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

They put the wrong name on my flight using a name that does not exist and then tried to blame me and forced my wife to buy an entirely new ticket where I had to book the next day. DO NOT USE THIS ORGANIZATION.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I am finished with these scammers. All good if you don’t have to change your plans. If you do... you are screwed. Totally inept staff in follow up and booking. I have used EXPEDIA for over 10 years. No more. Doesn’t make sense. I employed anyone who wants to hold on to their hard earned money. Use the sight to search. Book your reservations with the Airline, Hotel, Car Rental agency direct. It’s only a matter of time that you will be screwed!!!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

STOP! Don’t waste your time or money with Expedia! You will get neither back due to poorly mismanaged customer service and follow through, even if dealing with company’s leadership team like Mr. **! I had to cancel a flight due to a hurricane ravaged location. Upon trying to use my remaining funds to book a new flight I dealt with over 3 different representatives who couldn’t seem to help me despite the email I received stating the process was as easy as A. B. C.

Fast forward a month later and 2 days prior to my new travel plans I find out Expedia NEVER purchased or rebooked my flight and thus my travel was cancelled by American Airlines. 2 days before my Thanksgiving travel! I have now reached out again to Expedia’s leadership team (I use that phrase lightly) to request my refund! Let’s see where that takes me! In short... EXPEDIA is a fraudulent company that should be banned! They are taking customer money and not being held accountable! Customer BEWARE!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Had a flight scheduled today with my daughter that I changed to the following day using their mobile app. Paid for the new flight and the following day received an email stating my return flight was cancelled. Called Expedia and they tell me that I will have to pay for a new return flight even though I clicked “change” on the app and paid for the new departure flight. Expedia, you just lost a lot of money, as I planned to always use y’all for all my flights and hotels. Piss poor service and not worth the hassle or stress. Scam artists.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I had to cancel a ticket at last minute due to a closing on my house not going thru, so they kept my money and stated I could use it on another flight. Three weeks later I purchased that flight again and I didn't see the credit on my charge card. I called them and after getting jerked around with double talk for around 30 minutes, I asked for a supervisor and all she stated is that credit is still good for a year, not wanting to hear I just bought this ticket 2 days ago and the only choice I had was to put my credit card in.

She stated I should have called them as they would have to manually do it. I stated there was no information telling me that, my only choice was to put in my credit card #. She didn't care and told me I was lucky as that credit is good for a year, just not on the replacement ticket I bought 2 days ago. I will never use Expedia again, they are dishonest thieves...

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Purchased traveler’s insurance through Expedia. Needed to cancel my ticket and Expedia would not honor my refund. It clearly states in my traveler’s insurance policy which was offered by Expedia that I would receive “100% of my trip cost” if needed to cancel. Expedia refuses to honor their insurance policy and has been trying to pawn me off to a third party to possibly collect my money. Total scam. Buyer beware. I will never book with Expedia again.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I made a critical mistake in booking a trip to the bike Rally in Sturgis. I booked early in the year and through Expedia for the event which was two be held in August 2018. In March, I found I had a serious conflict and would not be able to go. Therefore, in March I started the process of canceling and trying to get a refund, I had paid for the trip in full. I had booked the trip through Expedia. They handled all the reservations. Here was my unsuccessful, stressful, fruitless and arduous journey:

I called the hotel, Cadillac Jacks. They said ‘the reservation was booked through Expedia, we can’t alter it’. I called Expedia, they said ‘the reservation was booked through VRBO, we can’t alter it’. But I BOOKED THROUGH EXPEDIA who used VRBO, same answer. I called VRBO and they said, ‘the reservation was booked through HomeAway, and we can’t alter it’.

I called HomeAway and they said, "We don’t service customers." In other words, they REFUSED to help me, REFUSED to give me a refund, even though it was MONTHS before the event, which, as anyone who knows anything. About it knows, every place always. Sells out. They could’ve, especially with 3-4 months notice, sold that room. What they did instead was keep all my money and sell it again. If I was a person of means, I would’ve gotten an attorney but I couldn’t afford that. So, all I can do is WARN as many people as possible to NOT DO BUSINESS with EXPEDIA. Book Direct with your hotel, airline, etc., you’ll end up with a better deal, better treatment and ONE phone call to make vs being treated like I was.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I made reservations for my children to come visit me during Christmas. When I booked their return flight, I clicked one that got them back home at 11:21 PM. There was no proofing option before you finalize. It just booked the tickets and ended up changing the return flight to one that gets in at 1:43 am the next day.

When I emailed my concern to Expedia, they responded: “Based on research, no error was found on our site and reservation was booked based on preferences selected. Therefore, Expedia regrets to inform you that your exchange request without any fee has been denied.”

When I challenged this response and requested screenshots of my clicks to support their position Expedia said “We have seen that our specialized team already conducted an investigation on your case and they found no error on our website and the booking was processed based on your preferences. Therefore, your request has been denied.” Quite the “bait and switch” scam... I’ll never use Expedia again.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I made the reservation of a car to use in the Dominican Republic and they offered me an insurance that that country does not exist. They charged me the insurance and I could not use it. When I make the claim, they send me a form where I have to give information about a crash that I did not have because the service does not use it. No one knows how to solve my problem, which is very simple... That they give me back the money they charged me for a service they did not give me.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Horrible service. They sell you airfares and do not disclose you need to pay for baggage on Air Europa until you get to the airport and they charge you $150.00 US Dollars! No Baggage included in the fare. Horrible service, second time it happens, this does not happen with Orbitz!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I booked a flight thru Expedia to Mexico 4 months in advance for my trip. I found out that at some point the airline or Expedia (hard to tell) that I was going to fly with, somehow changed the flight information that would have put me on a 24 hour trip that should have only taken 10 hours. So I called Expedia to cancel my original trip and re-book. BIG MISTAKE! I was on the phone for 2.5 hours (mostly on hold) while they canceled my original trip. I was told I would receive a refund within 4-8 weeks and that my original flight was canceled. So I re-booked the flight with a better flight schedule.

I got some kind of bogus email from Expedia telling me they contacted the airline for my refund. I later found out, 4 days before my trip that Expedia NEVER canceled my original trip! I had double bookings for the same trip! I had to manually cancel my first trip online thru Expedia and found out I will NOT receive a refund, but only credit with the airline! So I am out $645.00 minus a 200.00 cancellation fee not knowing if I will ever use the airline in the future for my credit! Unreal! I can only hope that my second booking holds up and that I don't get stuck on my travels. I will never use Expedia again! Let this be a very serious warning for any travelers using this online company. They will rip you off!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I canceled refundable flights on Sept 11. I was told I would need to wait 8 weeks for a refund. I contacted Expedia at 7 weeks because that seemed a long time for a refund, but no one would speak to me. I was told to wait the 8 weeks. Exactly 8 weeks later, Nov 6, I contacted them again because I had not been refunded. I was told that my request would be passed along to a "special" department. I was notified on Nov 7 that my refund had been processed. I made numerous attempts to contact them and ask why the refund wasn't processed in Sept but no one would answer me. Today I was sent an email that stated that they were too busy to help me in a timely manner so not to expect correspondence from them. Terrible company, will never use them again.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I booked a flight for my wife and myself through Expedia to attend her nephew's wedding. When we got the email confirm, I did not check it - I felt there was no need since everything was done electronically. However, when my wife checked the email a few days later, she noted that Expedia recorded her first name as Mark, which is my first name. I made the reservations on our iMac, which has our names available for automatic entry - I just typed the first letter of her first name and her full name was automatically populated - I watched it do so. How her first name ended up as my first name on the reservation is a mystery.

So she called Expedia to have the mistake corrected. She was on the phone with Expedia representatives and with United Airlines representatives (the airline we chose to fly with) for some time and learned that she would have to pay more to have the name changed than the cost of the original ticket, per United policy. So I called Expedia, thinking she was getting the runaround. The Expedia representative confirmed for me that I would have to pay over $500 to have my wife's name corrected. The ticket cost less than $500. The charges for the name change were due to United Airline policy, I was told. The Expedia representative transferred me to a United representative, who explained to me that I should go through Expedia for a name correction since I booked with them.

So back to Expedia I went, and talked with a supervisor at Expedia, who finally revealed that Expedia would be charged if they corrected my Wife's name. He stated that if I felt that the mistake was made by Expedia, that an investigation would be opened to determine what happened before they would take action. Fair enough, but in the meantime my wife would need to have a way to get to her nephew's wedding, and the reservation name recorded for her would not allow her on the flight we booked. So we ended up booking with another airline, DIRECTLY, and now have credits with United equal to the cost of our flights booked through Expedia.

One other thing regarding Expedia - apparently, I could not cancel my wife's flight and keep my own. When I went through the cancellation process, I selected what I thought was my wife's reservation, and cancelled it. The next screen informed me that the entire booking was cancelled. So I had to book my own flight on the other airline. As it turned out, the flight I booked for my wife was unavailable and I will be on a different flight to and from the wedding. This whole experience has convinced me NEVER to use Expedia again for any reason. I honestly feel that this is their mistake and they should have incurred the charge to fix it rather than push it onto my wife and me.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I was buying a round ticket for my son from Houston to visit me in London. As I was not sure about his return date (was depending on university schedule) I was glad when the site offered me to buy travel insurance to be able to change travel date at no additional fee. I paid for it US $103. When it came to changing the return date, I was told that I have a restricted ticket to which insurance cannot apply! Nobody could answer my simple question: "Why you offered and sold insurance for the ticket which is not eligible for insurance?!" There can be only one answer - in hope that I will never try to use it...

I need to say that I was told that insurance will not work on my ticket before I was asked why I am changing it, so the reason doesn’t matter... I thought the least Expedia could do was to refund the cost of insurance (now when I am unable to use it and need to buy brand new ticket for another date), but no, they instead blamed the airline which has nothing to do with the insurance. I need to say, that $103 is not huge amount and my frustration is not about losing it, my frustration is about feeling cheated by the company I trusted and used for many years. On top of all they charged me $38 for something called Price Match Promise which I haven’t purchased... Very disappointed...

Expedia Company Information