3.37/5
Based on 3,266 ratings submitted in the last year

Looking for a travel site?

Expedia

Looking for a travel site?

4508 Expedia Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 24, 2019

Booked a car through Expedia (in addition to the flight) and paid for the car insurance at the time of booking as Expedia advertised that I would get a discount if I pay through them. When I arrived at the airport to pick up the car the agent said that the insurance that I paid to Expedia does not show up in their system and that I have to pay the insurance directly to them! So naturally I paid thinking that there must be a mistake and that I would contact Expedia later and they would surely refund me.

I emailed Expedia support and after more than 2 weeks of waiting, I get a very short email saying that someone from their end called the agent and he told them that he honored the insurance I paid through them! I then followed up with another email showing them the payments that I made on Expedia with their promised price and the credit card statement showing what I paid to the car rental agent.

Another short email from Expedia telling me to show proof that I actually paid for insurance. So they basically threw it back at me instead of asking the agent to show them proof that they honored the payment I made on Expedia and to have some sort of process to make sure that agents do honor the payments made on Expedia. Instead they hope people would just give up. Needless to say that I have been booking with Expedia for years for me, my family, and my friends and so after receiving this horrible response I decided not to do business with them again.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I booked flight to travel on Air NZ from LAX to LHR with Expedia, and only used them because they had a bundle car deal. A few days after my initial booking I had to change my flight to leave earlier to back to London quicker to see my dying Father In Law. I called Expedia and after an hour they were able to change the outward journey, and an email confirmation was sent. Over 24 hrs later I received an email saying that there was a problem with the booking.

My husband called Expedia and found out that they had not booked the flights and also messed up on the additional costs. We spent 7 hrs on the telephone despite the fact that they admitted liability. We were bounced from one person to another while they were consulting with Corporate Headquarters. They messed around for so long and were so inept at organising anything that they were unable to rectify the booking. By the time they agreed to give us the flights for the price quoted the cost had risen 4K and they refused to honor our booking.

After 7 hours on the phone they offered a full refund and then we got cut off. Back on the phone to yet another person and finally rang off after so much frustration. We called back again the next day to ensure that we were indeed getting a refund and we are back into the same cycle. NO ONE taking any responsibility. We have had to book at VAST expense other tickets and have now been fobbed off again saying they will look into this. I cannot believe the utter ineptitude for EXPEDIA totally messing up our booking and NOT taking any responsibility. I will never use them again and we are now $3K in debt for their complete failure to do a basic booking for a flight change.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Very disappointed about their customer service especially when there is a refund involved. (If it's paying them then they are super fast) I had to call international to the US around 5 times and they made sure to keep me waiting for 50 minutes to an hour until I either hang up or the call disconnects to avoid resolving the issue. Contact me at ** and I can tell you the details. My complaint are all backed up with recordings as per their claim.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I booked a one-way flight Seattle to Phoenix on 4/17/19 and paid an extra $49 per seat to upgrade so that I could choose two seats together. Total fare was $155.30/each. Four days later, I received an email advising my seat assignments were cancelled. I went immediately to the airline website and discovered that the only seats I can choose are center seats, not together and that I can UPGRADE to Main Cabin for $49. I already paid to Upgrade to Main Cabin. After spending hours on hold, explaining over and over again to employees in call centers located in India--their method of breaking you down seems to be to spend hours talking in circles, saying nothing and then repeating back to you a different story than you just told them...

Anyway, an Escalation Supervisor offered to pay me $150 to refund the Upgrade Fee and for my inconvenience. Great but I'm looking forward to a miserable flight that I could book on any other travel site today for half the price. The following day I received a call from another Escalation Supervisor advising they cancelled my "request for a refund" BECAUSE and he actually said this, I had upgraded from Economy to Economy and seat assignments are not guaranteed. I fly all over the world all the time and I have never, ever had anything like this happen before. I have rarely used Expedia because generally they don't have the best prices, but I WILL NEVER USE THEM AGAIN and I encourage everyone to avoid this rip off travel site.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I made a reservation for a hotel on Expedia, but, somehow the dates got switched. I cancelled the reservation, and asked for a refund to which they said yes. The 1st agent told me that it would take 7 days for the $242 to show up on my bank account. Two weeks passes and no money. I call again and the 2nd agent tells me it's going to take 7 BUSINESS days, so, the money would come in the 22nd of April. It's the 22nd still no money. Im currently on the phone with another agent. The cutest thing of it all, is that the original charge they made to my account, is nowhere to be found. 3 different agents, with 3 different responses. It's making me mad because it's not $5, it's $242 that are a significant amount to me right now. I asked for a refund in hopes to have my money back. Not saying to not book on Expedia, but, double check your reservations. Not putting up my name for obvious reasons.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: April 22, 2019

In March I booked a trip to India through Expedia. The return flight ended up being cancelled, so I was patient and rebooked with the same. The very next day the rebooked flight was also cancelled. At this point I decided to cancel the flight and buy a ticket with a different company. I requested my refund. After 40 days now, Expedia has not resolved the issue and has told me I have to resolve it myself with the airline company. I have contacted the airline and they have told me that Expedia should be the one to resolve the issue and they can not help me. Bottom line is, Expedia is the worst when it comes to customer satisfaction. I have used them before without any problems, but you only know a company for who they are when there are problems. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I missed the field where I captured names for 7 travelers, after 2 weeks Expedia and Iberia tells me that I need to made a new reservation, therefore losing $10,300 USD. Expedia policy is that after 24 hours of reservation they cannot capture something so simple as moving one name from one field to another... even considering that flight date is July 13, 2019 (more than 80 days from today). My name in the ticket will be printed **, MR JOSE LUIS **. When my name in the passport is JOSE LUIS **.. and Expedia or Iberia cannot change to **, MR JOSE LUIS. Itinerary number is **.

Original review: April 22, 2019

This was the worst travel agency I dealt with. Their customer service is so horrible and they don't know what they are talking about and no records of any customer interaction. Every agent tells a different statement and kept the customer on hold for hours. I booked an India trip with them 3 months prior to the travel and after 20 days airlines canceled one of the flight and I called them to check what's going on.

Day 1: I was kept on hold for 3 hours and they told they need to submit some documentation with carrier to get me an alternative flight and told me to call back after 48 hours. Day 2 : I again called them and I was on hold for 5 hours and now the agent was telling me that there is no details on the interaction I had on Friday and they started again looking and finally told me that there are no seats available or no flights so I need to cancel and request for a refund so that they can help in booking another flight which is obviously 700$ more than the flight I booked and they are asking me to pay for that.

Why am I liable for the cancellation of flight done by the airline. So I called the airline to confirm whether the Expedia agent was saying right or not. The Air France agent told me that they are working on accommodating all the customers to a different flight so they want me to hold on to few more days (which is totally different from what I heard from Expedia agent) and they couldn't assist me further and asked me to contact the ticketing agency.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Booked a hotel on March 16. Their system changed the date to 17, after discovering the problem they refused to refund the charge claiming the hotel are charging for cancellation. Called the hotel. The manager said there be no charge but Expedia pocketed the money. DO NOT USE THIS SITE OR MAKE ANY BUSINESS WITH THEM.

Original review: April 21, 2019

When I booked a hotel reservation in April 2019 with "reservations.com", I was quoted an inaccurate rate. They did not tell me there was going to be an extra $15.00 because I was not a member of the RCLUB, whatever that means. I found this out only after I was charged on my credit card and saw the bill. I was not even given the opportunity to join the "RCLUB". When I called the number to inquire I was told it was nonrefundable. AND THAT'S WHEN I FOUND OUT WHO I WAS REALLY DEALING WITH. RESERVATIONS.COM IS ACTUALLY EXPEDIA. Had I known, I would never have booked. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: April 21, 2019

Do not use Expedia for any traveling. I had reserved a room and then purchased hotel protection and I had to cancel my reservation and they still made me pay the amount even though I had the hotel protection. They aren't helpful at all!!! Stay away!!

Original review: April 20, 2019

Booked a flight to Europe November 2018 to fly in July 2019. Received an email this week that all flights canceled, and that Expedia would be helping me with the refund. Called their customer service line and was on hold for over 45 minutes. Finally the agent, after checking with multiple people, asked if I could call back as she had to confirm their policy. After another call and similar wait time I was told they could not help, as the airline has gone out of business and I would need to contact the now defunct airline directly. I called Jet airlines and was told in no uncertain terms that Expedia should be refunding my money for the flights. After another unsuccessful call to Expedia, I contacted my cc company to see if they could help. I still have no idea whether I will get my money back. Worst experience I have ever had.

Original review: April 20, 2019

After being declined on the Expedia website 3 times with no explanation as to why the trip was not booked I called the company directly. The Expedia representative explained that it was a problem with the flight that even though the website said the flight was available, it really wasn’t. Then my credit card was locked out as the Expedia representative also tried several times to book my vacation. I had to call the bank to get my card overrode.

After an hour of this I was transferred to customer service who tried to book the same vacation that was declined. I was on the phone another two hours trying to book my vacation. The Expedia representative encountered the same problem as the last representative. She investigated and said it was because the flights were from two different airlines yet the site let me choose them. Then she switched the flights around and in the process of this whole ordeal the flights went up almost 500 for the four flights. She tried too many times and had my credit card locked out again! Then had the nerve to ask for a different card! After three hours on the phone I hung up without booking a trip. We will NEVER attempt to book through Expedia again!

Original review: April 19, 2019

I booked a hotel in PHI PHI island. Princess PHI PHI don't stay there and DON'T BOOK! Had a family emergency and had to cancel trip 1 week in advanced. Was told the hotel didn’t want to refund me. So even though I bought insurance, having a 10 year old niece in critical condition didn’t matter to them! Very disappointed and dissatisfied! I didn’t cancel just because. Tripmasters refund the rest of my trip! If you are looking for reliable and understanding company book with Travel Master! I will never use Expedia and will tell all my friends and family and also use social media to let people know!

Original review: April 19, 2019

I recently booked a flight with Expedia.co.uk and they are not transparent with the charges during the booking. Expedia UK provides you a price in GBP and when you actually book a flight you end up paying in GBP. I recently booked a flight for £783.51 and at no point it was mentioned that the airline I chose was charging in Euros and that the GBP price quoted is an estimate. I used my credit card to pay £783.51 and when my credit card statement arrived I was shocked to see that the amount paid was in Euro. And I was charged €913.72 plus non-sterling transaction fee of £21.55. Firstly, I lost out on the exchange rate as the credit card companies never offer good exchange rates - the exchange rate applied was 1.1662 when it was 1.1862 on that day.

If I was to pay €913.72 @ the correct exchange rate of 1.1862 I would have paid only £770.29. I therefore lost out £13.22 straight away on the exchange rate! Added to that a non-sterling transaction fee of £21.55. My total loss was £34.77. When I contacted Expedia they pointed me to a clause 3.1 in their huge list of Terms and Conditions (which apparently I accepted) and said that they are not liable for these fees and that the price in GBP was an estimate. This is ridiculous as they were never transparent about the charges. I feel cheated! Their terms and conditions are on https://www.expedia.co.uk/p/support/general-booking-conditions.

I also booked my accommodation through Airbnb and they quoted me a price in GBP for a Euro destination and that is what I paid. The conversion etc was already applied by Airbnb and I knew exactly what I was paying for my accommodation - there were no conversion or any non-sterling transaction fees whatsoever. This is what I mean by transparency. Expedia are a bunch of cheats. They are never transparent about their prices.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I booked 2 rooms under one confirmation itinerary. I canceled the rooms 3 days prior to check-in, received confirmation email that full itinerary had been successfully canceled without charges. I then am charged for original stay for one of the rooms. Expedia requested I forward cancellation email, of which I did immediately. I am advised that it was problem with their app as to why only one of the two rooms were canceled and hotel would not refund my money. So I pay for Expedia erroneous cancellation and hotel tells me my problem! I was long-standing patron of Expedia without issue. I have canceled all future vacations through Expedia. They have lost another good customer!!!

Original review: April 18, 2019

I booked a hotel and flight package deal from NYC to Jamaica with Expedia. Before the 24 hour mark, I was able to change my flight to the following day. However, the hotel - Knutsford Court - refused to be flexible. Expedia assured me that there would be no or minimal charge (certainly less than 700 bucks!) to make this change. Instead, they succumbed to this property's greedy policies to keep all money. I have been using Expedia for years, and this is how they are going to treat a long time customer?

I gave feedback to Expedia that perhaps they should not include such properties on their website, and that they should vet these places a bit more carefully.

Unfortunately, if you want to go a hotel that has flexibility, don't go to the Knutsford Court in Kingston. Expedia should also learn to put up several more prompts for the buyer to know clearly that this property makes absolutely no changes. Any changes are at the buyer's own risk. Beware when looking for that great deal in Jamaica!

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have paid for a car rental + full insurance in Punta Cana for 2 weeks. When I went to Pick up the car the dealer refused to give it to me unless I don't pay another insurance that was twice the price of the whole rental. I refused of course because in this way price will be triple than Expedia offer or in any other rental company. Expedia could not solve that I get the car and they also refuse to refund my payment. Cheaters, take your money and deliver no service. Îs my fault as a client they have a faulty contract with local dealer. Although I made complaint to them I had no reaction, no solution, no refund. They were incapable of solving the problem with local dealer and refuse to refund my payment although they did not delivered the paid service.

This company îs not serious, not delivering the services to the clients, not giving any support just taking your money and not care more. Never in my life I could see such incompetence and bad attitude. I don't know how they are allowed to be active and scam people with fake offers. They should be shut down immediately. You pay, You go to another country and You find yourself with no money and no service! They destroy your vacation and put You in a very dangerous situation especially If You travel with children. Somebody please shut down this company. Hundreds of complaints I can see only here. How much more people need to be deceived and lose their money until they are investigated for this fraud?

Original review: April 17, 2019

I booked a "pay later" hotel through Expedia in January, expecting to not be charged until my stay in June as stated on Expedia's website. Randomly in April, the hotel charges me for half of my stay. No warning, no explanation. Just a random charge for half my vacation from my bank. I call Expedia for an explanation and spend 7 days trying to get refunded for the amount due to the lack of information provided my Expedia. You cannot contact the corporate support directly, so you have to go through all the levels of poor service to get to anyone who can assist you with a refund each and everyday. I was offered a $50 credit!!! No. I will not be booking from you again, keep your credit. Finally get a refund approved, but it will take them 15, yes 15, business days to process the refund!!! No thanks Expedia, I will take all my business and personal travel plans elsewhere.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I am very frustrated and disappointed with the service I got from Expedia. I booked a ticket from Them thru Saudi Airlines. They sent me a confirmation and after couple of hours I got an email and they said that the Saudi Airlines didn’t acknowledge the ticket that I purchased but it was already deducted on my account. I called the customer service immediately but they didn’t manage to help me and give me options. They just want to get money and business! The expedia couldn’t even send me a “VOID LETTER” with the exact amount that they didn’t withdraw the 406$. It is a big amount of money. It looks like that they are scamming the customers! I will never recommend this company to anyone and will never use this company to book tickets again!

Original review: April 17, 2019

This site has gotten horrible. I made a car reservation and they dinged my credit card at time of booking. There was no language in the booking that said it was a prepaid booking. I called the customer service line and they told me pretty much to shove it up my **. Avoid this site at all costs, they are crooked and dishonest and have no respect for their customers. If I could give a no star rating I would.

Original review: April 16, 2019

My wife booked a room for 2 nights so she could take our granddaughter to Charleston, SC for a 3 day sightseeing trip. The plans did not work out so the reservation was cancelled at least 48 hours prior to arrival. Expedia charged for one night stating the cancellation was not within the allotted time. Cancellations were not clear so the usual 24 hr was thought to be the rule. Never again will we use Expedia and negative recommendations will be given if ask our opinion.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Expedia is a SCAM! We booked hotel accommodation through them a month ago. When we got to the hotel, there was no reservation for us. We were traveling with a child, imagine the inconvenience. They agreed to cancel our reservation and refund us between 7-10 working days. They have not refunded us and when we make follow up, it’s one story after the other. They are SCAMMERS! I wouldn’t recommend them, EVER!

Original review: April 16, 2019

Awful website. No chance to review booking before proceeding with payment. If there's a mistake, Expedia cheats customers by charging them and telling them it's the airline rules. Also, please: STOP telling people your system has crashed, as excuse for keeping them ages on phone line, when in fact, all you are doing is: Answering other complaints and rotating between callers. Seriously.

Original review: April 16, 2019

Been on hold for over 1 hour, pushing 2 at this point because they scammed me. Tried to use points, was charged the full amount instead. Save your time and money and go somewhere else. Unbelievable. Try to get through to sales and can reach them in two minutes. They are more than happy to take your money, will not give it back.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I booked my flight through Expedia a month ago and am trying to book an extra seat for my cello. This's never been a problem on other platform but a huge problem with Expedia. They put me on hold for 2 hours and then tell me that I have to call the airline. WTF. The airline said they already received the extra seat request by Expedia so I can only book and pay it through Expedia. I called Expedia again, and they put me on hold for another 2 hours and hang up on me! WTF! I would say that Expedia is the worst booking experience I ever had. Don't use it!

Original review: April 15, 2019

I booked a hotel thru Expedia and when I received the confirmation, the $ looked different (more expensive) from what I saw on the website. I tried to change it and inadvertently cancelled the reservation. I contacted Expedia and a few days later, they said they contacted the hotel and the hotel refused to refund the money and neither would they reinstate the reservation since the fine print said no refunds.

I was very disappointed and posted my story as a review on the hotel. I got a call from the hotel saying they had never entered my reservation into the system because it was made and cancelled within a half hour of each other, and they were never contacted about the reservation by Expedia, even if they had the reservation, they would of course provide a refund. So it appears Expedia is lying and keeping the money, not the hotel. I am now checking into resolving with Expedia. Book directly with the property and skip Expedia altogether going forward!

Original review: April 15, 2019

Really??!! Enjoy the $570.00 you kept and didn't even offer to help resolve!!!! 20 years... done.... You will read about it and hear about it on my Roku channel!!!! 2 rooms at Stratosphere Las Vegas shower's full of mildew. Asked to be moved twice and left with no refund after a promised upgrade. You got 2 free days plus $570. Shame on you. Certified letter's on way. Ramona ** Los Angeles filmmaker at NAB.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Hours and hours on the phone both -- the Expedia folks were unable to link the second ticket to the fast pass. No one knew how to do this. Finally called Disney. They said call Expedia. Long story short after hours and a few days of this I have been assured by Disney my tickets are valid and they will honor the fast pass options. Will see though... Will never book with Expedia again. What a nightmare! Recently used BookIt for a trip to Jamaica and all went so well! Never expected this.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I booked flights for myself, my husband and my son who is 12. In error I misspelt his name (2 letters). As soon as I realised this I told Expedia with whom we had booked tickets. They have not found a solution and now my 12 year old boy is in danger of either being left in London or potentially in Bankok! They have told me that I could buy another ticket but the cost is about £1,500 for a change to just 2 letters of his name. There have been a lot of phone calls with Expedia this week but no solutions save buy another flight. I feel pretty ripped off and upset. I am afraid. We are going to the airport in the hope that we can sort this out.

Expedia Company Information