2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.94/5
Based on 3,196 ratings submitted in the last year

Expedia Reviews

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

They do nothing for you when you need to cancel. You have to go directly to the airlines even though its less than 24 hrs. If you book multiple airelines, you must call each. I told them it was false advertising and the agent said "YES, IT IS". The web site also timed out while taking my payment.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

The hotel management charged us twice for the same stay. I informed them even before our stay that amount was deducted twice but we were assured that it is just for security purpose and extra amount will be returned after completing our stay. After stay we again asked them to return extra amount, but we have not received it yet. Booking was done by the Anurag Chousey and we are your regular customers. But this time, we are really upset by this unprofessional mistake of the hotel management. Kindly look into matter.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Expedia made it extremely difficult for me to make travel arrangements because no one was willing to work with me. I had to cancel my flight to Boston. I was then misinformed that I would need to pay an extra $75 to book a new flight which is stupid because the new flight I want to book is only $75 which is close to the amount of the credit I received for cancelling my flight.

Each time I emailed them I got a response saying this issue has been dealt with. It was always some Generic copy and paste email that they get paid to sent to customers who are mad. I also called numerous times however speaking with customer service representatives that don't speak English often infuriates me. So needless to say, no one gave me the correct information and no one was willing to help me fix my travel plans so that I could go back home.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I made a reservation at Highland Lake Resort, for which I was a no show. The policy stated on my booking was that such an incident would result in a 50% payment. I was charged 100%. Expedia would not honor the 50% policy despite providing them with screenshots of the policy and how much I was charged.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

Unfortunately I received the call that my sister has passed away. I obviously had to get things in order and fly home asap as I want to be close to our mother as soon as possible. I don't know about most people, but in this situation my mind it starting to prioritize and the flight wasn't really something that worried me that much. Kinda had the expectation that would cost more since it's a same-day international flight. Long story short, the search results went quick, selected the flight and the "we're sorry, that price is no longer available but if you pay $500 more we will give it to you" situation. And that was added to what was already priced accordingly as a same day flight.

So I've bought in, and I know and I am aware that was a hasty decision, but I bought in. And that is ok!!! Now... I'm not looking for any answers, expect anything financially in return, attempted any contact like it would matter. Nothing. However, I will say this... simply because of the use of this business practice/algorithm: I really wish with the deepest hate that I can find in me, or any person can imagine... for your company to fail, shut down, and those responsible for the use of that algorithm to go through hardship & unresolved life tribulations. Nothing less.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expedia?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

Cheating and bad business as they did not full their responsibility and they did not offer anything. I call all their department and all the people I spoke to them they do not able to came up with any solutions.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

So I booked a ticket with Expedia and due to sickness I had to cancel it. I called them 48 hours earlier and asked if they cannot refund it, they could provide me with credit or change the day of flight. They cancelled my ticket with no credit or refund. Well I had a medical reason to cancel it with a doctor's note which is a genuine reason. They should have understood it.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Due to a family emergency I had to cancel a hotel reservation at Santa Ana Casino Hotel in Bernallillo, New Mexico within the 24 hour range. Expedia clearly states that if one does have to cancel within that time frame, the reservation is subject to the loss of one night's stay plus taxes. My stay was for two nights, and Expedia refused to honor their stated policy and refund 1/2 my payment. Expedia has nothing to assist me and continues to operate deceptively. Avoid them at all cost!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

In February 2019 we booked a flight via Expedia from Sao Paulo to Foz Do Iguacu (211 euros). The Airline was Avianca Brasil. When we arrived at the airport (1th of July) we found out that Avianca Brasil had been bankrupt since months. Expedia never bothered to let us know. On the contrary, they even sent us an email the day before departure to remind us of our flight! Being at the airport with 2 small children and having already booked a hotel in Foz, we were forced to buy new tickets (432 euros). The day after, we received an email from Expedia entitled "How was your flight to Foz?" where we were asked to rate our flight with Avianca Brasil!!

Now we are 3 months and several emails later and we still did not get a clear answer from Expedia, let alone a refund. They refuse to take any responsibility in this. We always get the same lame reply with the same grammatical mistakes ("we understand how feel it must be"), probably sent from some lonely help desk officer in Bangalore who has no intentions whatsoever to help us but rather to discourage us. They claim to be leaders in travel, I would say they are suckers in travel. :-( Never again.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I booked a tour with Expedia. I got told by the tour company that tour was unavailable. I requested a refund and followed up from the tour company and they said they refunded it to Expedia, Expedia has to refund it to me. It's been almost 2 months and I'm still waiting. I am not the first they need to stop with their false advertising.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Expedia hooked me up to a very cheap hotel. When I arrived in the hotel, I was asked to for my credit card. And I asked if they wanted deposit, I was going to give them cash. The hotel worker told me that they need to keep my credit card with them and would give me in the morning when I leave just in case I smoked something is lost. I left the hotel and called Expedia right away and asked them if they can use money to find me another hotel. They said that I need to make another payment because I agreed that cancellation is not allowed. They literally left me in a position where I had to be compliant with the shady hotel so request for my credit card.

I decided to sacrifice one night's payment than leaving my credit card with a shady hotel. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence but few days after that I started receiving phishing emails. I was contacted by my bank about account activity that I had not authorized. Anyways, I wouldn't feel comfortable making any kind of business with Expedia.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Booked flights through Expedia. Fours hours prior to the flight we received a sms from Expedia telling us that the flight was cancelled. They didn't provide any information or contact details. At the airport we finally got in contact with Expedia and they provided absolutely no assistance WHATSOEVER!!!! Shocking behaviour!!!!

We had to source and purchase new airfares online whilst sitting in a foreign airport. On our return we contacted Expedia for a full refund and a "please explain". We were gobsmacked when they basically said it wasn't their problem or fault. They basically wiped their hands clean of the whole situation! UNBELIEVABLE!!!! WILL NEVER EVER USE AGAIN AND WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TO ANYBODY.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

Expedia and Delta would not work with me on changing the flight seven weeks in advance. Hence I lost 326.86 in this transaction. Horrible customer service to a very frequent user of both Expedia and Delta. There is no excuse for this as I was willing to re-book (and not take a refund). You can bet I will NEVER utilize either Delta or Expedia again. This is no way to treat a customer!

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I am a member of Expedia, I have used them countless times to book hotel rooms for myself and my children. This past Saturday, myself and my friend had tickets to a hockey game and were very excited to be booking at a apparently well reviewed hotel in Hamilton Ontario. I picked which city I wanted to book in. I put in "Hamilton, Ontario". The first hotel that came up was the Sandman (which I have previously stayed in for a week in Hamilton). I was very happy with the hotel previously, it did it only had 2 rooms left, so I jumped on it and pressed "reserve".

I instantly got my confirmation email from EXPEDIA, that said "HAVE FUN IN OAKVILLE". Now, I know very well I booked for HAMILTON, not OAKVILLE. I IMMEDIATELY called Expedia to let them know the error, the lady on the phone was extremely rude, unprofessional and immature. She stated they have a zero refund policy. I tried to explain my situation, it was impossible for us to stay in Oakville and see the hockey game in Hamilton. She began to laugh at me, I asked to speak to a manager, she continued to laugh, and hung up on me. I still had to book a room here in Hamilton, so I used a different booking company and had zero issues with this.

Now, I have called many times to try and get this sorted out, I have explained that I am a single mother of 2 young boys, who solely depend on me for everything, $190 is not a lot to some people, to my little family, $190 is an entire week of being able to put food on the table for my boys. I have explained this to Expedia, as well as the Sandman in Oakville. I have asked for even a credit to be able to stay somewhere else, I've asked for a partial refund. Not one single employee or manager from Expedia has cared in the slightest. $190 to Expedia is nothing, even considering how much money I have spent booking through their company. I am appalled at the customer service and how I have been treated. I am struggling way more than normal this month now. I do not recommend anyone use Expedia or the Sandman Hotel in Oakville. Even an apology for being laughed at from an employer would be sufficient.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

Terrible company. Stay away. Try BookIt.com. You wil be happy! When you get points they will take them away and end up with zero. Bad service, rude and not interested in your well being plus their prices are not as good as other companies. Buyer beware!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

We booked a jam packed trip to Vegas and stayed at the Luxor for 3 nights 5 months ago. I received a text message from Expedia in August saying that we needed to change our flight home as a West Jet flight was cancelled. That happens and I was ok with that. We arranged the change in flights... After 2.5 hours on the phone. The Expedia rep wanted us to come home on the Saturday instead but that was not going to happen...and then he wanted us to come back on Monday and that was not an option because of work.

We ended up settling on a long 9.5 hour day of flights to make coming home on the same day as planned work. The hotel was great and no issues on the trip down. We were scheduled to leave at 12:30 Sunday afternoon on October 6th 2019. We arrive at the airport at 930 am and are informed that Expedia had changed our flight and we had missed it. We were supposed to fly out at 830am that morning. I received no text...no email...and no notification regarding this change. This was not my first time booking with Expedia but I will assure you it will be my last.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I have been trying to book a trip from Expedia since Friday 4th of October. At the payment stage, they give an error saying that an error has occurred with the payment method. There is no chance that my bank rejects this transaction because I spoke with the bank several times, I have a sufficient amount in the account and there is no limit on the amount that I can spend on one day. I also spoke with representatives of your company who do not know anything and cannot help me in any way, although I am sure that your company has the problem, and not my bank.

so for 4 days I tried to book tickets through the application, through the website from the phone, through the website from the computer and by the phone. All these times an error appeared that there were problems with the method of my payment and all the times they withdraw money from me, although I did not receive any confirmation to my mail. A few days later, they return me money to my account, but I did not manage to book a trip ever. If the problem is with the trip that I choose, if it is no longer available, you should remove it from your site and not waste my nerves, time and money!!!!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

Location is great. Right next to a local market full of interesting shops. Hotel staff can speak English well. However, I have never been so disrespected by a hotel receptionist in my life. I bought a cheesecake, and brought it back to hotel to share with family. We needed a knife to cut it open, and saw a metal knife in their VIP area. I picked it up, and intended to take it back to the room. A receptionist rushed to stop me, and refused to let me use the knife. Then I asked the receptionist if you have a plastic knife, and he said no. I asked him how I cut the cake. He said no knife. Are you kidding? A hotel does not allow a guest to use its knife. I ended up using dental floss to cut my cheesecake. Is it a cave hotel? Then, to make matters worse, I posted a negative review at Expedia, and Expedia censored my review. Refused to post it despite multiple followups and escalations via Better Business Bureau. Just be careful with this hotel and Expedia review score, in general.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I arrived in Rome Fiumicino airport on Sept 3, 2019 waited in line to pick up a reserved automobile at Fox car rental only to find it that it is supplied by a company called Sicily by car. The waiting period for pick-up was in excess of one and one half hours delay. I paid at the counter as per Expedia's offer. When I later filled up for fuel, I checked the oil and had one liter of oil missing in a small car. I returned the car on Sept. 25, 2019 in proper order and asked the attendant to refund the oil payment of 7.90 Euros. He told me that he was sorry and that there was no supervisor on duty in order to authorize a refund.

I have taken this issue up with Expedia and other than cheap apologies and in excess of six days of waiting, all they said, "We are sorry but you paid at the counter therefore we can't assist you." I explained that they are the selling agent and should I have not picked up the car on the agreed date, they would have charged my credit card. Expedia spends millions of dollars in order to obtain consumer business and then some underqualified rep. at the customer service desk loses your loyalty.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Purchased two tickets for relatives and discovered one of the travellers had a passport issue. Tried to cancel well in advance of the flight. No refunds. Have to go to a third party company and wait a month to six weeks for a check, if they deem the claim to be valid. Meanwhile they cloak this with legalese, terms and conditions and someone has my $1350 for something I never used. This is how Expedia and the airlines rip off senior citizens. Don't use this company if your plans go awry as they sure do not look after their customers.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

A cautionary tale: My wife and I booked a trip to Lima Peru with Expedia, but my wife had to cancel. I called Expedia and cancelled her trip and changed my itinerary. The agent said that we would get credit for her flight that could be used later. I got an email confirmation of my itinerary change but no email confirmation of her cancellation. When I called Expedia to rebook, they had no record of her cancellation and credit, but instead recorded her as a no show. Be vigilant when using Expedia. I will not be using them again.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

Worst. Rep names Johnny. I had 1200 credit and asked for comfort Air Canada ticket. He said it's impossible but my ticket will include baggages and seat. Made me pay extra 416 for changing fee and tax. Ticket was worth 600 and he told me I will lose value. And I don't get confirmation email for another 10 hrs. Found out he booked me a wrong flight. I called back and they gonna do case to see what they can do. Waste of 5 hrs. Never ever ever booking with Expedia. Just book with Hotels.com or airline directly. They scam you. They will just take money and get you lowest value ticket. And the rep Johnny seems like he doesn't know what he is saying.

He was telling me my itinerary number back 3 times. All 3 times was diff # with 1 or 2 digit. How can I book my flight ticket with someone who can't read number clearly. Anyways I paid over 1600 dollars for just 700 dollars worth ticket. They made me lose 415 dollar value and charged me for 200 changing fee and 215 for tax. This is unbelievable. I regret so much for using Expedia. I always been booking all my travel package many years. After this funny and ridiculous experience. I AM PERMANENTLY delete my account. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO NOT USE EXPEDIA. You will regret it.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I’ve been tracking a certain hotel for several weeks and the price has been consistently the same. Today I received an email from Expedia telling me there was a 48 hour sale with member only discounts. I went through the link and saw the advertised price and it was a $20 discount, so I booked it. When I finish checking out I had actually paid more than the price they were advertising BEFORE the sale! What I thought I was paying and what I was actually charged her two very different things. I was on the phone with customer service for over an hour, and there was zero resolution and zero admittance of fault on their part. I have never been more disappointed. I was completely scammed and lied to by a company who I have done repeated business with in the past.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I booked a cruise with them on MSC in February. Their website offered 12 drink vouchers per person. When I got on the ship I was told that promotion was discontinued a year ago. I paid 300 dollars for the upgrade for 5 people. I called Expedia when I got home and was on hold for 3 hours. Finally they told me corporate would make a decision in 72 hours which they did. I was told since they can't go back in time to see what was on their site I wasn't entitled to any compensation. I won't deal with them or their partners again. I was even told on my 3 hour call that this had happened before.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

Booked a vacation package through Expedia at Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun, which was advertised as all inclusive on their website. Got the email confirmation which also listed the hotel as all inclusive with some restrictions on food and beverage. Got to Cancun, checked into the hotel, and was told by the manager of the hotel that the resort was not all inclusive. Got back to the states and complained to Expedia. To my surprise Expedia would not take any responsibility for the false advertisement.

The lady at corporate said she listened to the phone conversation of the agent booking the package and at no time did the agent say this was an all inclusive resort. What a joke. I have the email from Expedia describing the resort as all inclusive and yet she has the nerve to tell me this. Never will I book another trip though Expedia and would encourage others to do the same. These companies think that they can do anything to rip you off and don't have to take responsibility.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

My flight was cancelled and when Expedia made the change for a new date, they didn't issue a new ticket number. Korean Airlines didn't have access to my new tickets without it. I spent 89 mins on the phone trying to reach them and have them issue my new ticket number until I finally missed my flight. The airline said I was a No Show, so Expedia asked me to pay for another ticket to reach my destination without being able to guarantee that I would at least get my money back. Now I need to wait for them, God knows for how long, until they investigate if it was indeed an error on their part. Needless to say, I have spend a fortune on phone bills calling them from Japan, and bus fares to and from the airport (6,165JPY). Unacceptable.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

Expedia used to be a good travel booking site. No more. They are obsessed with upselling. The receipt and itinerary have become unreadable. And you can count on multiple extra steps as they try to sell a hotel, car, insurance rather than ease of use for both mobile and website. I am giving up my points and have switched. I am trying Trivago for hotels. Let's see how that goes. Still researching a travel site.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

Rented a car through Expedia in Nice France. Also took out CDW insurance for $110. Enterprise Rental company had no knowlede that any insurance was taken out so I had to pay $360 for insurance. Requested the $360 back from Expedia and I guess they thought refunding the original $110. was more than enough for the mistake they made. Sooo I'm out of $250 because someone in Expedia car rental dept. did not do their job as they should have.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I booked on Expedia business class airfare from Rome to DC, departing a week later from NY to Paris. After booking my airfare, I pressed the Expedia car rental button and rented a vehicle from Alamo for the week. Turns out Expedia booked the vehicle from DC to be returned to DC, although my departure is obviously from NYC. Alamo charged me $355 for a NYC drop off and Expedia refused to acknowledge their software mistake and stuck me with a $355 Alamo charge for a NYC drop off. Expedia Customer service refused to refund the Alamo drop off fee.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

I booked a room thru EXPEDIA on Sept 26, 2019 for $32.34. I found out hours later that I had to work on that day so I immediately cancelled the room. This was done within a 4 hour time frame. I received a text on my phone the next morning that a .34 cent refund was issued. WHAT where is the $32.00? I called EXPEDIA and talked with employee and a supervisor both trying to convince with some bull, saying that the balance would take 7 days. Why would that be when it took overnight to refund 34 cent. This is crazy. This is NOT about the little bit of money. It's about PRINCIPLE and STANDARDS. I work for an attorney. He is taking care of it from here and I will NEVER use EXPEDIA again.

Expedia Company Information