1.28/5
Based on 39 reviews that contain star ratings

China Airlines Reviews

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

51 China Airlines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 4, 2015

To begin with, I need to explain that I am handicapped and diabetic. On my outbound trip from SFO to TPE, Flight CI003, I was treated with exceptionally kind service. I was given wheelchair assistance to the aircraft and given a very nice aisle seat. The flight staff were very friendly and kind to me. The diabetic meals were very good and adequate for my needs. I was comfortable and enjoyed the flight. My connection to MNL Flight CI701 was uneventful and again I was treated well.

My Return flights to the USA thru MNL and TPE were another story altogether. The Manila International Terminal was a TOTAL disaster, and I recommend that no one EVER travel through that airport... EVER!!!! There was no handicap assistance made available to me from the PAL Terminal to the International Terminal and I almost missed my flight out because of the mess at this airport! No shuttles were operating between the terminals and I had to take a cab from the PAL Terminal to the International Terminal at a cost of Php1500. That cab driver then dumped my two suitcases and carry-on in the middle of the street in front of the International Terminal giving me no receipt or assistance, and just driving off.

No Handicap assistance was waiting for me from China Airlines as I had requested. A security guard had to help me get out of the street and we had to forced our way into the terminal which was blocked by a crowd of HUNDREDS of Filipinos waiting to get in for their overseas working flights fleeing to other countries. I had less than 15 minutes to get to the gate because of the PAL flight being 1 1/2 hour late and the difficulty in getting to the International Terminal. FORTUNATELY, the Check-in personnel at the China Airlines counter, after discovering my difficulties were extremely helpful in rushing my checked bags to the aircraft and literally running me in a wheelchair to the gate (after advising the gate that I was coming). But then when we arrived at the gate, we found that the flight I was to depart on had been very late in arriving and was still unloading passengers and would be almost an hour late in departing.

MY ADVICE if you are forced to go through Manila to make a connecting flight.... MAKE SURE you have at least 4-5 hours layover between flights so that you will have time enough to make the connection!!! My Flight to TPE, CI704, was otherwise uneventful and unexceptional. All I can say is I got to TPE. I was given wheelchair assistance to my next connection gate and the young man was very nice. The TPE airport is quite large and snack type facilities are not plentiful while waiting the 5 hours for my next flight out at 11:40PM, and very few people available to assist you with questions and those have a SINGULAR lack of the English language. I found only two places available to buy food and they were not snack style, but full meals and NO DIET/NO SUGAR BEVERAGES available anywhere.

My Flight to SFO from TPE was a horror story from the beginning. The gate staff were not advised of my handicapped status and I had to advise them I would need assistance.... Communicating with them in English was a challenge as well. The seat I was assigned to on flight CI004 was near the rear of the aircraft and less than comfortable. Across the aisle from me was a large Chinese family with three very young children who screamed and cried incessantly ALL during the entire 12 1/2 hour flight! No one in the area could sleep and one passenger complained so loudly, that they moved her to another seat somewhere else (I didn't, but I should have).

The Family was totally unprepared for caring for such young children on such a lengthy flight (no toys and inadequate baby formula preparations). The mother appeared to be a woman used to having servant's care for her children instead of herself. I got NO sleep and was exhausted after the flight. The meals were OK but I was fortunately to have brought bottled water for myself because getting beverages was impossible as the flight attendants were never around and unavailable during the flight.

Original review: March 1, 2015

We have extremely bad experience with China Airlines. First day they cancelled flight and left my mom at airport without informing us. After that in next flight they doesnt give us boarding pass and arrival information. Such a bad airlines. Now I want file complaint against China Airlines but I don't know how so please if somebody can help us.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 20, 2015

While in the USA, I was unable to confirm my return flight to China via phone or web with CA. Upon arriving at the initial airport for my connecting flight with United, my reservations and the flight were in order but I was told the flight would terminate in Washington at IAD, not Zhengzhou because the flight scheduled for the 19th, CA 818 was cancelled. United very kindly rewrote their connecting flight for me, putting me in IAD on the 21st. I asked United at the ticket counter if they had seen this before. The ticketing agent confirmed that CA cancel frequently before.

I called CA and finally got them on the phone. The first person, male, screamed at me for ten minutes and would not confirm my flight or assign a seat, blaming the situation on United. Telling me I should talk to my agent. That had already been done and he screamed some more and refused to confirm reservation and assign seating. I hung up and called back. The young lady on the phone identified me by name from my eticket number and politely assigned my seat on the CA 818 leaving the 21st from IAD. My travel agent in California (Chinese, in the states three years) confirmed that CA cancels frequently but did not seem to think that withholding business from CA was an option. I will not, of course, ever fly CA again.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2014

My wife and I, with our two daughters flew from Taipei to Hong Kong in August, 2014 on China Airlines. Our original departure flight was at 4:30pm. We checked in at the China Airlines counter way early at 12:30pm when they were checking in the passengers for the 2:30pm flight to Hong Kong. The lady at the counter asked us very politely why we were so early. I told her that due to a very heavy thunder storm in Taipei, we didn't want to take a chance. After checking her computer for a while and a couple of minutes on the phone, she offered us the 2:30pm flight if we wanted since we were at the airport already. We appreciated the offer and gladly took it. Best of all, she even upgraded all four of us to the first class upstairs without extra charge.

It was a pleasant flight. I wish the flight could be longer. Thank you very much China Airlines... We surely will think of China Airlines first next time we fly. By the way, On some reviews I noticed some people mixed up China Airlines (Taipei based airlines) with Air China (Beijing based airlines). They're two different airlines.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2014

Keisha, I think that is her name or something like that, was clearly drunk, or high, or some sort of abnormal state when checking in customers. She was rude, unprofessional and lack of concerns. People from SFO at China Airlines have the absolute worst attitude at handling customer affairs. It is such a shame because in Canada and elsewhere, China Airlines has a standard. They lost it all when Keisha the check in person for China Airlines decided to be rude and disrespectful. China Airlines need to reevaluate of who they hire. Personally I am for sure going Eva Air next time. China Air sucks **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about China Airlines?

Original review: June 25, 2014

AirChina is absolutely the worst Airline there is and I will never ride AirChina again. I was on flight 818 heading to Beijing from Washington DC, then supposedly be on a flight to Harbin. Flight was suppose to land in Beijing, but because of "weather" condition, flight was forced to land in Taiyuan. When I later checked this "weather" condition, Beijing was sunny at the time. After 5 hours of delay, we finally landed in Beijing and I missed my connected flight. AirChina offered us to stay at a nice hotel with good food, but it turned out to be some shady place that was in the rural area outside the city.

They only thing they gave us was one bottle of water with a cup noodle (not to mention NO HOT WATER). The person who was in charge told us that there were buses that go from the hotel to the airport every 2 hours, but that turned out to be false. Lies after lies, finally they transported us back to the airport with the smallest van possible. Nobody wanted to stay there, so we had to all squeeze onto this van with all of our luggage. ABSOLUTELY THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER.

Upon returning to the airport, nobody wanted to do anything to help us. I don't know where they hired these people to work for AirChina, but they all had the nastiest and worst attitude ever. For the amount of 2350, I wanted to be on this direct flight that turned out to be a nightmare. I JUST WANT TO WARN EVERYONE WHO IS GOING TO CHOOSE AIRCHINA TO BE EXTRA CAREFUL. Like I said, I am never riding AirChina again. I have never had this bad of an experience. This company will crash and burn if they don't do anything about their customer service and the way they run business. AVOID AT ALL COST.

Original review: March 17, 2014

My issue with Air China stems from their lack of concern. I did miss my flight which was entirely my fault, I was in India away from family and friends traveling by myself. When I went to their customer service desk, there was no one there to talk to and I had to wait about an hour before someone returned. While I was waiting, I was stressing myself out on missing my flight and being stuck in India, not knowing what I should do next.

When the desk finally opened, I went to talk to them and explained my situation hoping they would sell me another ticket for their next flight out. I was not looking for any handouts from them since I had made the error and not them. The 3 young women that were there were busy eating and did not care for my situation and would only tell me to call a # for assistance.

I told them I did not have a phone available and asked if they would let me use their phone. They kept eating and would not assist to even give me a phone to use. I explained to them again that I needed to get back home to America and that I needed help to get a ticket. They continued eating and ignored me refusing to lift a finger to help me.

I went in search for a phone to use, after some time, I located someone who let me use their phone and I called the number they gave me. After dialing the number and listening to it ring for several minutes, I hung up and went back to the Air China desk. Now I was getting more nervous and scared wondering if I would ever get any assistance from this company.

I went back to the Air China counter and the 3 young women were still enjoying themselves having fun, gossiping and snacking on food. I again explained to them my situation and that I just wanted to purchase a ticket, that the number they gave me did not work because no one would answer it and even begged them to assist me. After 2 1/2 hours of unsuccessfully trying to get some kind of assistance from them, I went to a few other counters and was finally able to get a flight home to America on another airlines that was leaving soon.

I believe I had to pay a higher price to get back home to America because the people at the Air China desk would not help me at all except to tell me to call their phone # that no one ever answered. I finally made it home to America safely, no thanks to Air China Delhi employees. I was very stressed out and upset the entire time on my return home from what transpired.

When I came home, I contacted their customer service # to let them know of all that had happened to me and the lack of care their employees gave me. I found that their customer service employees had the same lack of concern and only thanked me for contacting them. I was surprised that they were not concerned, that their Delhi employees did not even want to sell me a plane ticket on the next flight out which resulted in a loss of revenue for them and now bad publicity.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2011

I paid $750 for a ticket from Kathmandu to Ulaanbaatar Mongolia. At KTM, I was informed at the ticket counter before my flight that China changed Visa rules 2 days prior as I was booked a ticket that went through Chengdu and Beijing. There was also a "stopover" in Lhasa (just an hour on the Tarmac no change of flight), which has severe regulations. So, I'm not sure how I was even booked a ticket going through Lhasa to begin with. I was not notified of the Chinese Visa change, which restricted transits from two Chinese cities to one. After much hassle, I was turned over to Thai Airways for a rerouted flight to Bangkok, with a connecting flight to Beijing and then catch my original flight plan to UB with Air China.

At Bangkok transit desk, I was notified that again, I would not be allowed to board because I did not have a Mongolian Visa. I am a US citizen with US passport. I did my homework. Very clearly it states on Mongolian and US embassy sites that US passport holders are exempt from having a Visa. I was turned away. I was not allowed to board because the airline insisted that I needed a Visa, even though no such Visa exists for USA citizen. I was then forced to spend the night in the airport.

Then in the morning, I was told by Air China desk personnel that I would have to exit immigration in Thailand to go to the Air China office in Bangkok. Subsequently, I was forced to spend almost 3 days in Thailand, a country I was stranded in, until someone at Air China said oops, and re issued my ticket. Air China finally called the Mongolian embassy at my insistence, because they did not believe my claims when I contacted the Mongolian embassy myself. I incurred unplanned travel expenses. I was laughed at by Air China counter person while in distress. And I was told I could not even receive hotel accommodation by the airline, even though it was an airline problem. It is not my job to inform Air China personnel of treaties and foreign policy that have existed for 10 years. Simply looking up the information in the travel information manual (TIM) would have solved this problem and I would have been able to board my flight in time. However, Air China decided to make up their own set of Visa rules.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2011

My brother John took flight on China Airlines out of San Francisco on July 27, 2011 and had severe diarrhea and vomiting and died on August 2, 2011. Was so sick in hotel and died.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2011

I booked an airfare on Air China through Priceline.com. I was unable to make the trip and notified Priceline who refunded my $100 fee. On the other hand, it has been 45 days and counting for Air China to refund my $1,282.00 and $280.00.

The credit card I used to charge the original ticket was stolen, so I cancelled the card. Air China is insisting on "crediting" this card, which is cancelled. Air China still attempted to credit the card and it was rejected, and now, they want a form that nobody seems to know exists. This is frustrating and unacceptable!

In the meantime, I am working with my bank to resolve it, but Air China doesn't seem to have any urgency to resolve this issue.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2010

Further to my comments (March 25) on an appalling experience with CI, on June 17, I met representatives of CI and Flight Centre (the holding company for US based Liberty Travel). We were to argue our case in front of a small claims court called the Consumer Trader and Tenancy Tribunal. We were allotted one hour each. The CTTT is a forum is presided by a "Tribunal Member" whose decisions have the force of law.

I was asked by the Tribunal Member if I prepared my case and I replied "of course". The Tribunal Member explained that only a week earlier the law changed and that compensation for inconvenience, loss of enjoyment and similar cases of "non economic losses" are not recoverable from the airline or the agent. ** (the consumer) was the tone of his voice.

Given the law changed, and I had no idea of that change, I asked for an adjournment and was granted one until September. I had to argue for that until it was granted. The fact that I was sold an "airport hotel" which proved to be 30 minutes away from the airport in the middle of a golf course, didn't matter under the new law (or so I was made to believe). The fact that I was interrogated for 30 minutes by US CBP officers at JFK, like I was an al Qa'eda suspect, because CI's flight attendants gave me invalid landing cards, didn't matter either.

Only if I suffered direct physical or psychological harm can I hope to see a shred of compensation. And I was told to be "careful" in my submission of documents stating that I suffered harm, I had to be very explicit, when submitting papers to the Tribunal by July 31 2010. Papers which I will rely on in my case in September. Such documents must show that any physical or psychological harm that I endured was directly attributable to the omission or commission of acts by CI staff. Needless to say that my experience with CI took place when I was returning from major surgery in the US and was very ill but it's not so easy to prove a direct link between CI's actions and my condition.

Furthermore, whilst I did obtain medical confirmation of my claim (from a host of doctors and physicians) the Tribunal Member who gave me the adjournment was (in my view) very biased against me stating repeatedly that "he will note on the docket that he recommends that if I lose the September hearing that I be made liable for the respondents legal fees." I took this as a threat and that he considered my application as vexatious. He seemed not to care that I was mislead by Flight Centre when I booked the hotel and by CI when I followed their staff's instructions. He made it abundantly clear that before submitting documentation by July 30 for a September hearing that (a) I seek legal advice and (b) be made aware that even if I have all my arguments supported by experts that I may still lose the case.

In July, I sought legal advice and was told the very same thing as the Tribunal Member said in (b) above. That is, that even if I have all my ducks in one line, documented and proven, that the respondents (CI and Flight Centre) could blow holes in my arguments OR (worse still) that the Tribunal Member may rule against me and not only award me zero compensation but may saddle me with the legal bills of the well to do respondents. Looks like a fine way to muzzle any consumer dissatisfaction.

Doesn't it? Given the bleeding obvious, I wrote to the airline seeking to settle the claim by asking for compensation of a far lower amount (than in the original claim) so as to obviate the legal fees that will be incurred by all parties. Needless to say the airline, CI, didn't respond.

I am now considering what venue (TV? Print media?) to use to bring CI's abysmal behavior to the attention of unsuspecting travelers, both in the United States and Australia, as it seems to me to be folly to pursue CI and Flight Centre in the CTTT. After all, the odds are so clearly stacked against the consumer.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2010

I flew CI flight 11 from ANC to TPE with family including one 5 yr old. We had 3 adjacent confirmed seats. The flight originated from JFK. When we checked in at ANC, we were put in 3 separated seats because the middle one of our seats had been given to someone boarding at JFK. One of us was given a seat 30 rows further back. I objected and was told that CI staff at JFK can ignore confirmed seats for passengers boarding after JFK, and that the plane was full. In other words a confirmed seat didn't really mean that.

The seats we were given would have necessitated our 5 yr old sitting separately. I was told that it could probably be sorted out on board. But on boarding the aircraft, the aircrew wouldn't even take care of it. I was told that I had to ask the other passenger to switch. I got their attention by saying that we were going to go to our original confirmed seats and they could decide what to do about that at takeoff time. It happened that the JFK originating passenger was willing to switch when he saw the situation, but I think it was really bad procedure for CI to have put us through that. Either confirmed seats should mean that or there shouldn't be a pretense that there are confirmed seats. And certainly a young child should never be re-seated to a separated seat.

Original review: March 25, 2010

Further to my complaint of early March, under the auspices of the state's consumer authority, the Dept of Fair Trading (somewhat similar to the U.S. Better Business Bureau). I met with representatives of China Airlines and the travel agency (Australia's biggest agency, Flight Centre, the parent of U.S. Liberty Travel) from whom I bought the ticket (after all my contract was with them) in order to resolve our differences.

Both the airline and the legal representative for the travel agency agent heard my complaint but admitted no liability nor did they offer compensation. Even when I proved to Flight Centre agent that I was charged for a hotel (for an involuntary stopover in TPE) when their very own web site shows that such hotel stays are free. All the agent's legal representative could do was say 'that clearly what you saw was old information and I will see the web site is updated'. I look forward to the case proceeding to a tribunal (small claims trial) in mid April.

Original review: March 2, 2010

I traveled from Sydney to New York City with China Airlines in October 2009 and returned three months later. On my return I wrote to China Airlines outlining the great difficulties I experienced whilst traveling with them: (a) I was given information by the Sydney staff that proved misleading (and contrary to China Airlines US and Taiwan offices information) resulting in my being held hostage in Taipei airport in Taiwan. (b) Arriving 2 hrs prior to take off at the check desk at Anchorage Airport in Alaska (bound for New York), only to find no airline staff to check me in.

Someone finally turned up very close to take off time. Given I was the only person in line waiting to check in, the airline it seems wanted to save money by not utilizing staff for one passenger until they had to. That is minutes before the flight was to take off. While I waited at the unmanned check in desk, a TSA agent suggested I walk to the airlines office in another part of the building, but as I was ill and had much luggage I could not make the long walk without a trolley. And there were no trolleys around in any case.

(c) On board the aircraft, I was given the wrong landing card to complete by a stewardess staff resulting in me being interrogated by US Customs in New York who attributed their lengthy questioning of me to "some idiot on the aircraft giving you forms we have never seen before". I was asked about all my travels as though I was a terrorist.

All of these matters stressed me in a major way when you consider I was traveling to and from major surgery in the United States. I didn’t need the added stress of China Airlines incompetent, cunning or malicious staff.

As mentioned, I wrote in late December to the airline and after chasing up the matter several times, finally the airline replied in late January 2010, absolving them of any liability. I will not stand for this and am interested in taking the cunning airline to court.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2009

I was dumped by for non-respect of luggage allowance issued around the world ticket by United Airlines Sydney. I had 2 pieces 23 kg each. I was asked to pay them Chinese money, cash. They did not want to take credit card. There was no bank at the airport. I had to walk 2 km. to get the cash money to pay my luggage. I was put out of that the flight took off. It left us, my wife and me, stranded in a difficult situation in Lhasa airport. The staff did not help. We had to buy 1st class tickets, forced to, and escape to Chengdu airport to fly out from China. I got help from Thai Airways.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2009

I am due to fly on a China Airlines flight from Sydney to Taipei and onto Amsterdam (via Bangkok) in December. Given the fact that the flight stops in Bangkok, where passengers get on and off, I contacted China Airlines today to enquire could I disregard the flight from Sydney to Taipei and join the flight from Taipei to Ansterdam, in Bangkok. I was told that it wasn't possible to do this and would cost me 220Euro to make this change. I think this shows a serious lack of customer service and I cannot justify why they would need to charge me 220Euro, even though it gives them the chance to re-sell the seats from Sydney as far as Taipei, and also sell two seats from Taipei as far as Bangkok. I am enraged by this and I have never dealt with such a money driven airline before.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2009

I am deeply disappointed at China Airlines. They let me wait at TPE Airport for 8 hours since I had to transfer from Kaohsiung to TPE (I arrived in KH at 5 am to check in all my luggage and arrived at TPE at 7:30 am for my 4:15 pm flight on 8/23/09). They kept telling me that I was not able to upgrade due to the limited seats at business class and asked me to check 2-3 hours before the flight departure to confirm. I then asked every hour, even until 5 minutes before I boarded, and the crew still told me that there was no business class seat available. So I got on the plane, put down my carry-on luggage, opened my blanket, and sat down. Around 15 minutes before door closing, someone came to my seat and told me that he has exactly the same seat. We told the flight attendant and she went to check the screen and told me it's double seating and she will move me to another seat. And guess where she moved me to? Now, she moved me to the business class where China Airlines had the last seat available.

This is very unprofessional and unethical. China Airlines was trying to sell the last business class and every single ticket before they are willing to upgrade me. I not only waited 8 hours to find only the last minute that I got upgraded, but I also found out the crew didn’t even have my info for the business class. This proved to me that they actually oversold the economy seats first and they knew there was one last business class seat, but they were hoping to sell that last business class seat also. If this is the case, why did China Airlines removed my mileages for this upgrade because I don’t consider this is upgrade? This is actually an over-booking situation and they just moved me to another seat! How would you call this upgrade when clearly the flight attendants didn’t even have my information prior departure? So why am I being taken away my mileages?

Also, I called your customer service everyday from 08/17/2009 till 08/22/2009 (even the day before my flight) to ask if I was allowed to leave TPE Airport to go out as I had 8 hours of waiting time. Every single person I spoke at the booking department told me that I could leave as long as I can come back within 2 hours before flight departure. And then in the end? I wasn't allowed to leave TPE Airport and my 3 friends who I asked to pick me up were waiting outside to learn about this news. What kind of airline this is? What kind of services are you guys providing? I have been a Dynasty member for at least 10 years and I can’t believe this is how China Airlines treats their members!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2009

I flew China Airlines. My departure was on 7/15/2009. My return date on the ticket was 7/29/2009. My passport would expire on 10/11/2009. The ticket desk in Los Angeles made me wait at check-in for 2 hours while they said they needed to call Manila to see if I could fly using my existing passport. My passport would still be good for over 2 months after my return. I was told that I didn't make the rules, but rather they were the ones to make the rules. I was held in a stressful situation, not knowing if I was going to fly when basic common sense failed on their part. I will not be flying China Airlines again. I was finally allowed to fly, but it could have been all avoided with common sense. I was highly stressed for no reason. I had already flown from Houston to LA. I was in the middle of my flight to the Philippines. I do not travel that often and it was stressful thinking that I might have to abandon my flight to visit family and return to Houston. I was really in a quandary and did not know what to do. They just seemed incapable to understand that my passport was still valid for more than two months after my return.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2009

I flew on China Airlines Oct 3 2007 from SFO through Taipei and on to Bangkok, where I now live. I gave my Frequent Flyer card so it could be entered. No mileage was recorded, and because I was concerned with moving details (States to Thailand - where I am retired) for many months, I did not notice this. In Oct 2008 CA emailed me that since I had not flown for three years (how about CA error in Oct 2007??), they would suspend my Frequent Flyer card. I gathered all details and sent a letter to CA in Bangkok - never received any response. For the China Airlines error in October 2007, I had my card number suspended. Don't think I will be flying with them anytime soon. I guess they do not need customers. Good luck, CA!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2007

My Parents traveled Sunday(Sept 9th) from San franscisco - Taipie - New Delhi. At baggage claim area, after waiting for long they didn't get last bag. Somebody I think some passenger told them there is one bag on other side and they noticed, the bag's zip was broken and belt was tied, otherwise all the things from the bag would have fallen out. I also requested a wheel chair for my mother,that person also said it might have happened while moving luggage. After reaching home she learned her couple of items have been stolen. We lost our new motorola phone, bluetooth,watch and our bag was broken as well.

I tried complaining at China airlines office but no action yet.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2006

Since 911, luggage checked in are not allowed to be locked. I didn't put anything valuable in my suitcase, but items were still stolen from it during transit from SFO to Taipei. Mundane items such as two new purses, vitamins purchased from Costco, chargers for iPod and digital camera, etc were all stolen from my luggage. My clothes were fingered through and rearranged by the theif.

I'm asking WHY is there NO SECURITY for passenger's property?? Do we live in a third world country? Since 911, shouldn't there be MORE security as opposed to less?? Are we just letting ANYBODY work for the airport these days? How do we expect our planes to be safe when our luggage can be easily manipulated by moraless, unethical airline/airport personell????

Where are the security cameras? Where are the security guards? Where is my compensation for my loss and emotional distress?

Further more, WHAT is being done about this??

Lack of action on the airline's part.

China Airlines Company Information