1.58/5

Looking for a travel site?

Paradise Island, Bahamas

Looking for a travel site?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Atlantis Resort Reviews

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

When we checked in the staff behind the desk were rude and incompetent! We got 3 different quotes on the Meal Plan! No Smiles or Island kindness! Housekeeping and grounds staff were cheerful and helpful! Then our room had things broken! TV and hairdryer would not work! I felt like things had gone downhill from my stay 2 years ago!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Over a 2 hour wait to check in... Rooms are very, very basic but did have a mini fridge. I got 2 rooms through the reservation line 1 year ago. I check in and they were on different floors at opposite ends of the building. I was told check-in is at 4 and that's why. I got there at 3 and had to wait in line until 5 to check in because they are so slow. The TV didn't work either. No water pressure or warm water. I will not ever come to Atlantis or the Bahamas again. I paid lots of money for a place like this. I wish I could get a refund!!! $700 a night for a room in a 3rd rate motel attached to a 1st rate water park.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

Let me preface but saying that I've stayed at the Atlantis multiple times over the years and every other experience was wonderful. I, however, will no longer be going back after our last stay. We went as a family Christmas in December of 2018. It's my opinion from what I saw that there needs to be some serious changes in management before the Atlantis really falls apart. It appears to me that they are not taking any of the money they are making and putting it back into the resort but instead must be pocketing everything. There is paint chipping, rooms and carpets smell terrible, everything just needs a deep clean and new facelift. The food is insanely overpriced as well as the drinks. Some of the employees were kind and helpful but a lot of them were rude and condescending.

Here are a few examples of the issues we encountered on our stay: Problems with accommodations - 2 of the villas we stayed in didn't have air conditioning. 1 of the villas flooded one night while we were at dinner. 1 of the villas had brown water pouring from the shower one of the days. The TVs in 2 of the villas quit working halfway through the trip. The phones didn't work in 2 of the villas. There was no fridge in 1 of the villas.

Problems with employees - I went to one of the public bathrooms while at the pool one afternoon. There was a line with 3 women in it. An employee walked in with her pants unbuttoned and unfastened and walked in front of the women waiting in line and used the restroom. One of the employees working a food cart/bar saw us coming and ran to the other side of the bar and got on her phone and pretended like she couldn't see us.

Here was the real kicker... My mother who is 60+ years old was walking through the lobby to go to dinner. She slipped on a banana peel (seriously) that was laying in the walkway. An employee stopped to ask if she was ok. My mom replied no, she had just had knee surgery and was in pain and covered in something sticky. She needed help up... the employee by the name of Quincia, told her to just lay there for a while to see if she felt better and then walked off. The rest of the family came through soon thereafter and found my mom in pain on the ground.

Lastly, my husband had $50 stolen from his wallet while we were at dinner one night. It was not the entire amount of cash that he had in his wallet but $50 was definitely taken. The next day, my husband and I decided to stay in the room for dinner because I wasn't feeling well. We got a knock on our door which confused me because the rest of the family was at dinner. When we didn't respond or answer the door, an employee opened the door and let herself in. She was shocked when she saw us in there and stated that she was there for a drink service? We were confused and she rushed out of the room.

We called the front desk and they informed us that there is no reason for housekeeping to be in our room at 7:00 at night. My parents were on the other side of the building opened their door to see the woman going into their neighbor's room. They told her that they were at dinner and the woman immediately turned and left.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

The trip was upsetting to myself and my older children who are knowledge about good animal husbandry. We’d read all about the marine conservation and education programs prior to our visit, only to discover a roadside zoo on arrival. The tanks were filthy, overcrowded and several aquatic animals were visibly ill due to unsanitary conditions. Many animals swam in circles showing signs of distress. We were told by staff that all the animals were there permanently except the Manta ray(s) which were released when they outgrew their tank and then they would release the ray and capture a new one from the wild! Taking a closer look around, we noticed that everything was filthy and poorly maintained. What is sold as an upscale resort with a conservation arm is nothing more than a middle tier water park with an overcrowded, poorly maintained marine zoo.

Additionally, we lost power our second day, for nearly two hours. Power outages are not uncommon I understand. What was concerning was that the hallways and stairwells had no emergency lighting. I climbed 16 flights down to alert staff that people were stuck in the elevator, in total darkness, and the response I got was not much more than a “yeah we know”. I didn’t feel safe after that. I would never go back.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I stayed at the Cove for 6 days. The service at the restaurants is deplorable. It does no good to complain because no one cares. Room service entered our room without any notice and stole $20. The hotel is overcharging for the extra person and the VAT tax. I even have emails showing what they should be charging and as I said before no one cares. I would never stay at this hotel again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Atlantis Resort?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Paid $500 for dinner for 7 people and was treated like **. After going around for a long time in Atlantis to find a place to eat (many restaurants were closed) we thought we finally found a nice buffet to celebrate a birthday. Before we entered the restaurant called Poseidon's Table, we paid the bill upfront - this is the only way to get in - and had dinner afterwards. Alcohol was not included and we had a red wine. Just when we finished a waiter came and started bringing the bill for the wine and for the food (again??!). We told him that we already paid for the food but happy to pay for the wine. He said we have to show the bill of the food. The person who had the bill was just at the restroom at the time so we started to explain that we already paid.

The waiter insisted we have to show him the bill and made us feel like we are thieves as we had to go all the way up to the entrance and explain ourselves and get the bill double checked at the cashier. When they realized we paid already, they did not even say sorry. I called for the manager and the only thing he did was to say that the waiter misunderstood the situation. No apologies and no compensation. He said that they can call the police if I want to further pursue. (??!) What kind of customer service is this? And how is it my problem that they miscommunicate and why do I have to explain myself after paying $500? The restaurant was not even close to busy. How can they not keep their things together? Overall TERRIBLE SERVICE! AVOID this place!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I have traveled the world over many times and never had problems really worth mentioning. But this hotel is the most corrupt I've ever been to. The total price I was suppose to pay from booking.com was $2127.11 Every day there they had so many hidden charges mentioned apparently to booking.com as to boggle the mind. By the time I left, they increased the charge over $2,000.00 dollars which I trigger to dispute but to no avail. They hold security deposits in the sum of anywhere between 200-400 a day which gets held on your credit card. When I checked out, they had a total held on my credit card of 5,000.00.

Mind you I paid 1500.00 of the original 2127.11 before I even arrived so you can imagine my dismay. I'm not sure to be mad at Booking.com (whom I have booked trips probably a hundred times) or Atlantis, but the fact they even hold on your credit card daily hundreds of dollars is quite obscene. Most of the people there are not professionals you would expect if you are from the US or Europe. Highly suggest you do not go to this corrupt place. You will leave calculating you owe a few hundred, and they will place thousands on you that you were not expecting, and most of it is very suspicious. Every taxi driver tried to get "more" by bloating the price from what they quoted. It is the most corrupt places I have ever been in my life.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

My wife and I have concluded after being at the Atlantis for 5 days with 3 kids and staying in the Royal towers that we were highly disappointed with our trip wanting more quality in every aspect of the stay - hopefully this review will help all those looking to travel to this overly hyped resort. If you're traveling with children esp toddlers prepare yourself to WALK everywhere in the heat and up and down stairs all over the resort - it’s amazing how far everything is from each other here and makes even just getting to the beach a huge frustration! (Travel tip the nicest beach at Atlantis is tucked away behind the Cove area). The resort is INSANELY EXPENSIVE!!! Take that very seriously esp if you're bringing children!!! And the fact that most probably don’t do the all inclusive (which I don’t even know if they have there or not) you will literally pay as much in food and or excursions as you did to for the entire purchase price of the trip itself!!!

The food is terrible!!! I mean for what you're paying for each meal it’s absolutely crazy to think this resort and as Big it is and all the restaurants can’t satisfy your food needs - once again with children who are picky this will be a huge issue - and let’s say you don’t want to go to the restaurants for each meal of the day then you're pretty much screwed because there is only a small coffee shop or pizzeria on other side of hotel to choose from (we literally ate pizza, hamburgers, egg and cheese and bagels the whole trip). If it rains or you get too much sun there is literally nothing to do inside the resort for the whole family - yes they have a mini arcade and Game Center but that’s extra fees and not worth it unless you want to pay and even then there is nothing to do adult wise unless you want to sit at the bar.

Staff and miscommunication is huge - some staff doesn’t show up on time for bookings (excursions desk). We waited 45m with a line of people for them to send us to VIP lounge for them to tell us everything was booked and the systems went down shortly after that, then we went back to excursions desk to find out everything was not sold out and their systems worked fine - total time to book dolphins was 1.5hrs of frustration. Then there was the problem of them screwing up our shuttle back to airport. We spoke to 5 people and 1 manager who couldn’t find our shuttle company (unless you get voucher upon arrival it’s impossible to figure this out) and we were left with someone telling us to be done in lobby at 6am - it was pitch black and no shuttle came - we had to take a cab out of our own money back to airport.

Dolphin Cay was the most expensive for 5 people we did and we only did a 30 min shallow experience (was just ok our toddler enjoyed it). But then they try and get you on photos which you're lucky if one comes out good. Prepare to pay for photos though as you can’t just get 1 4x6 - you have to get 6 of them!!! Also you have to settle for an 8x10 if you only want one photo.

Overall we wouldn’t go back for the sake of all the above - the one bright spot is the beach and water which is literally world renowned (the water quality and temp is so amazing that we kept trekking back to beach for it) - but again prepare yourself with going broke, walking and being exhausted and then paying more money to keep the kids busy and happy. We’ve been to other countries and resorts and this one def was a rip off...

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Went to a destination wedding and very poor quality resort, especially for the cost. Lost power 2 times and were offered a free breakfast and were charged for it. Called my credit card and they called the Atlantis and were told they would credit me for the $76.20 buffet breakfast and now refuse to credit. NEVER go there only if you want to get ripped off.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

My kids and I were very excited about going to Atlantis Bahamas as we had such a lovely time at Atlantis in Dubai last year. Unfortunately, my girls were robbed on the beach the first day (middle of the afternoon mind you) and when we notified management at the hotel, she told me she couldn't do anything for me. Then she stated that we needed to go the police station, which is offsite. They wouldn't even call the police for us. Now, here we are in a different country and were just robbed (they took my girls' sunglasses, shoes and cash totaling over $1K), but we are now told to go to a police station offsite. Sounds even more dangerous to me, so I decided I would handle the situation after we returned home. Then, when we went to check out and pick up our luggage to go the airport we find out the bell staff gave our luggage to someone else. I am standing there with the ticket to claim my luggage, but it has disappeared... Really?

At this point my girls are beside themselves, so I ask them to go over and wait while I talk with management about the situation. Again, the hotel took no responsibility. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I did however give them 1 star as the spa staff was amazing and very trustworthy. The rest of the group should be fired and the entire hotel restaffed after full background checks are done. Beware of this hotel... They steal and put you and your children in dangerous situations. They do not care about your safety at all. Stay safe out there.

Atlantis Resort Company Information