2. Travel
  3. Airlines

4.0/5 (180 ratings)

About Asiana

Asiana Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Asiana?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Asiana?

Original review: Dec. 12, 2016

The customer of Asiana Airline puts my ticket to no way, which I could not get to the airport and I went into a car accident on my friend's car. I booked my tickets on CheapOair website, and they charged me like 300. There are 100 for no show, which it was fine, I admired. Then 200 dollars for the cancellation fee, which I think it was ridiculous. I do not even take the fly and I had to pay an extra 200 dollars for that? I bought the tickets like 1180 dollars and now it came with the total of 1,474.68 dollars. I called the Asiana Airline and they told me that I had to contact CheapOair agent, but the CheapOair said the charge came from Asiana Airline. They do not take that $200. Asiana airline does not give me any response and just keep telling me to call CheapOair Agent which it is so hilarious. If I do not get a refund of that 300. I would keep harassing Asiana Airline, and I could not go back, which I have waited for 4 years to go back home.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2016

I haven't really been keeping track of my mileage on my Skypass recently and come to find out, on my last flight, the total miles booked were just over 16,000. When I went to check my Skypass account, I found out that they only credited my account 4,000. This should be a criminal offense! They've just stolen my miles and they said that there is nothing I can do about it. I'm trashing my Skypass card today.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2016

This is the most unprofessional and worst overall airline I have ever flown in over 30 years of being on this earth. My family and I have traveled the US and globe on multiple different carriers. Asiana takes the cake at being the worst for the following issue: They lost my luggage on my way to SE Asian country. The luggage ended up in China and was there for 3 weeks. Mind you I was back in the US after 12 days, so another 9 days my luggage stayed lost. The customer service reps did not want to compensate me for my lost luggage or cover my extra laundry bills because I had only one small duffel bag of clothes that was continually washed in order to keep clothes on my back.

Their customer service was entirely lackluster and lost themselves in what to do about the issue. The LAX manager used emotional bullying tactics in an attempt not to cover my laundry bills and share "how much he cared". I don't buy anything their customer service or this airlines says and will be sharing this horror story with as many of my friend, business contacts and colleagues as possible. I am still in process of them sending me my reimbursement and this event started over 6 weeks ago. Totally unsatisfactory.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2015

I missed my flight from Incheon to HONG KONG despite arriving there almost 2 hours in advance due to kiosk not being able to find me on the passenger list. Because I wasn't going to check in any bags, I figured I can use the kiosk. But as kiosk was malfunctioning with no staff around to help, I had to wait in excruciatingly long line and ended up missing my flight and all my connecting flights to the U.S. via American Air.

As I was in dire need to catch the flight from HK to the US, and there weren't any other Asiana flights from Incheon to HK that day, I had to spend $500 on a different airline to get to HK on time. Considering it was the Asiana's kiosk issue, I was hoping Asiana would at least partially reimburse $500. From a staff to local manager to general manager, they assumed ZERO responsibility: claimed there were several staff members to help and said kiosk would not have been mistaken.

What exacerbated my anger was that they said I had no proof of my being at the airport at a certain time so I found the airport bus driver who remembered me to testify that I was dropped off at a certain time, but Asiana staff completely dismissed that evidence. The whole experience was wretched as I got no sympathy, no apology, just callous heartless unsympathetic jerks who joined forces to defend relentlessly to avoid all responsibility. Asiana's customer service is non-existent --- from Miss-Korea-wannabe-flight attendants' self-absorbed demeanor TO managements' defensive tactics. With all the pending lawsuits, one would think they try to compensate for plummeting publicity -- go figure. I hope this is not reflective of Korean corporate culture.

Original review: July 18, 2015

Asiana did not check its aircraft's conditions and status until the last minute, after all the passengers were aboard. Turned out that there was a problem with the plane, which they failed to identify and fix for the next 3 hours. THREE HOURS. The aircraft took off 3 whole hours after it was supposed to, and in the meantime all the passengers were close to suffering from a heat exhaustion, because they wouldn't turn the A/C on until we were up in the air. There were no real refreshments (other than small cups of drinks) during the three hour period either. Why couldn't they have checked the plane beforehand so that 1) we could've left on time, 2) we could've taken another aircraft, 3) or at least if neither of those options were possible, we could have waited in the terminal where we could at least walk around and get food.

Also, there were 4 small children sitting around me, and were screaming and yelling for the most part. When I complained about this in an attempt to get a seat change, I was given a pair of earbuds. Is this a joke? Asiana Airlines needs to really step up its game, and that was one of the worst airplane experience of my entire life of flying at least twice per year for the last 11 years. For the record, there were no compensations of any kind made by the airline to their customers, and the only reason I don't give the airline a 0/10 review is because their on-the-ground-workers were swift in helping people get to their next connecting flight.

Updated on 10/15/2015: It took me a good half an hour to even find a place where I can write my complaint to for this irresponsible and terrible airline. Their response was focused on evading responsibility and making excuses. No real compensation or apology of genuine nature shown anywhere. Here's the response I got: "Thank you for contacting Asiana Airlines. We truly apologize for your discomfort and unpleasant experience you may have had with our airlines. Please understand that we do deeply regret this incident and it is disappointing to hear of your case. We also thank you for your continued patience while we further investigated your case. We have contacted the appropriate departments for further review regarding your experience.

"Our records indicate, on July 12, 2015 flight OZ 236 was heavily delayed due to aircraft maintenance issues. Please understand that there was a delay due to an engine problem affecting the aircraft. We apologize for any inconveniences and ask for your patience and understanding. On the day of your flight, we had gone through a maintenance check and after a thorough review we were authorized as safe to fly. However, there was an unexpected engine problem and this can be only noticed after starting engine. Therefore, our flight has returned again, and after hearing news of this, our staff replaced a part of the engine, then we were finally authorized to fly. Please understand, because we take the passengers safety as the first priority, we have no choice but to delay the flight. We ask for your understanding and thank you for your patience and cooperation.

"Please understand that our cabin crews were not provided all the details due to the final decision not being fully revealed to the staff, but instructed to keep passengers calm and attempt to accommodate them in any way possible. We apologize for any discomfort or inconvenience you may have felt during this time of duress. We cannot imagine how conflicted you may have felt when you heard the news that our flight was being delayed while sitting on board. Please be advised that our cabin crews tried their best to accommodate passengers on board while serving beverage. However, since the final decision was not yet made, our cabin crews could not serve meals. Please understand that this was an unexpected circumstance and we exerted all of our efforts to provide the best customer service.

"Also, several passengers advised cabin staff that the temperature was too high on that day. However, since the part of engine was being replaced at that time, the engine was turned off as well as the temperature control system. Therefore, our cabin staff have reported regarding this to our captain and maintenance staff, so they connected the outside of air conditioning system to the flight for better in-flight environment. Nevertheless, we truly apologize for your discomfort and unpleasant experience while you were waiting on board without any detailed explanation. Please take into consideration that your feedback will be included in our customer service report or internal review with our senior team.

"Moreover, when you advised our cabin crews regarding noise of children sitting around you, our cabin crews tried to change your seat, however, the flight was almost fully occupied, so our cabin crews could not offer you another seat. Therefore, our cabin crews provided you earplugs as a countermeasure. We realize that this service was not going to completely satisfy for your inconvenience, but please understand that we deeply regret your unsatisfactory experience, and we sincerely apologize we were unable to provide efficient service.

"We do sincerely apologize for any inconvenience, however, we ask for your understanding that Airport Traffic Control decisions, maintenance, and/or other volatile and unexpected issues are all occurrences that the airline has no control over. We understand that on some occasions decisions may disrupt or inconvenience our passengers travel plans. Please take into consideration that we do not compromise the safety and security of our passengers, therefore Asiana and all other carriers avoid guaranteeing flight timetables. Also, stated in EC Regulation No 261/2004, under Article 5, an operating air carrier shall not be obliged to pay compensation in accordance with Article 7, if it can prove that cancelation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.

"We apologize if you felt our services could have been more efficient to your needs, however, we cannot negotiate for compensation. We deeply regret that you felt any inconvenience and apologize for the difficulties that you may have faced during your travel. We thank you for your time and effort to alert us again with your inquiry. We would like to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your experience with us, giving us an opportunity to improve our airport services. We hope to continue to provide the highest level of service and hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve your travel needs. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation."

Original review: Jan. 26, 2015

I would never recommend Asiana Airlines. They have the worst customer service you cannot imagine. We had so much problem with them & call Korean incheon airport & no reply as expected, or understand. Then I call Los Angeles CA & did not call back till I try again for a message was not even on my cell phone & the person who contact me finally answer & lie that he did not leave a message is because he would have call back between 15-30 min again. Sure but when I call back it was already 45 min later from my cell (time). Charge my son 100.00 usd for extra luggage weight from 50 standard for us over by 3 pounds, then 2nd luggage 50 standard for us over by 4 pounds.

A student going international for schooling, this company will not help you what so ever!!! We can also have a carry on with purse or a carry on with backpack for it is for school. Books are already heavy for 5 big books plus the rest of medicine that has to be check in. Student are there for 4 months in South Korea Unversity then 4 months in Bejing? Well guess what, Asiana Airlines think money is the answer & in plain English yes that's all they think of instead of trying to see what was going on. Then they claim TSA stop him for the over weight? Then the student pays it asap, for my son was so delay that he would miss his flight.

Believe me, do not use Asiana Airlines. They will take you for what you have--many expenses already with tuition & etc. IT IS THE WORST AIRLINE YOU CAN IMAGINE. PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD FROM COLLEGE THIS AIRLINE. I am Asian myself and it is what I am letting you know the truth & if you need more information please contact me at anytime. College parents be aware for your own personal expense.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2014

I used this airline about 10 times in the past years and was quite happy with them. Especially their flight attendants are very friendly and provide excellent service. I fly to SE Asia from LAX about twice a year. After my last trip with them I decided never ever to use them again: It started when I checked in and was told that my seat assignment had been changed from an aisle to a window seat. I had made the seat reservation several months prior to the flight and had the same aisle seat on both, the outbound as well as the inbound flight. My assumption is that there was a party of 3 which wanted to sit together and Asiana made it possible by removing me from my assigned seat.

The check in agent told me that I could either choose between a middle seat or a seat next to the toilet but no explanation why I wasn't getting the seat which I had reserved and which showed up on my printout. What was even worse than losing my aisle seat was that the airline served me spoiled food which made me sick. I had ordered a "Special Meal" and two meals were served between ICN and LAX (a 13 hour flight). The first meal was ok but after the second meal which was served about 2 hours prior to landing in LAX I got sick within an hour. I had to throw up and had diarrhea which lasted for almost 24 hours. Obviously this food (some kind of a curry dish) had been sitting too long, I guess it was contaminated with salmonella.

I contacted "Customer Relations" in regards to both issues and received nothing else than evasive answers. No explanation in regards to my seat, no answer to the question if anybody else had eaten the same special meal. I won't give this company any more business, they simply don't care about their (repeated) customers and don't even care about the safety of their food.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2014

Between October 8 and October 27 2014, representatives from Asiana Airlines were called every other day with a simple request. I had a hysterectomy on September 17 and have a letter from my surgeon/gynecologist declaring fitness for travel and requesting for seating with leg space (as I cannot be in the exit row). First they indicated I would have to wait until the week before the flight. Then they indicated I had to wait a day before the flight, which is tomorrow. Today they have indicated I will not be assured of special seating until check-in. This is unethical behavior with no consideration for the customer.

Original review: June 1, 2014

My mom flies Asiana quite often from Russia to the US and other destinations. She is a Diamond member and doesn't use any other airline for her needs. Unfortunately, Asiana failed in customer service twice in the past two years causing my mom pretty serious financial expenses. Since my mom's trips usually last about a month, she has to plan them in advance. She has to book tickets at least 6 months in advance, and sometimes even a year if she wants to use her Asiana miles. For some reason, there are very limited tickets that you can buy for miles, and they get bought out right away (Another policy Asiana should work on).

Twice already she booked her tickets 6 months in advance, booked all her domestic flights, hotels, tours, etc, and several months later, just few months before the trip, Asiana canceled her flights. In my mom's case it's a huge problem because flights from Incheon to her city in Russia are only 3 times a week. So once her Asiana flight was canceled she was stuck for three more days, unable to return home as planned. She had to pay for an extra day in the hotel in US, extra transfer to the airport, and two extra days in Seoul hotel and transfers to and from it - it cost her about $800. I contacted Asiana and they told me there is nothing they can do - BOTH TIMES. It is extremely unacceptable, and I encourage everyone to be very careful when booking flights with Asiana.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2014

We had a flight with Asiana from Frankfurt to Singapore, with transit in Seoul. We're a family with 2 adults and 3 children. On board, we get just one meal and almost no drinks. The staff served our meal at the beginning of the flight and then went to sleep with the curtains closed. We got a menu of which we could choose, but only the seafood meal was left. Our children don't like seafood. When arrived at Incheon airport, our children were dehydrated, suffering from headache. We asked for the manager, but he refused to have a word with us in person. Again no service for our kids, no breakfast or drinks.

My husband is a medical doctor, we travel a lot. We never had such a bad experience before. We think it is strange that nobody from Asiana Airlines seem to care. We spoke to Kim and Melanie from the ground staff at Incheon Airport but they didn't do anything for us. They were brutal and told us to go to your website if we had a complaint. They and their manager didn't do anything to solve our problems with our children who were ill from dehydration and hunger.

Asiana Company Information